8.9

1. JohnY
    Jan 24, 2010
    This game is absolutely the best RPG I ever played. I played the console version 2 times through with different characters and the PC version once through. And STILL have NOT done every quest there is to do. It is a huge open world and the expansions add to it. There is countless replayability, and endless customization for making characters. And even still has a nice graphics engine for This game is absolutely the best RPG I ever played. I played the console version 2 times through with different characters and the PC version once through. And STILL have NOT done every quest there is to do. It is a huge open world and the expansions add to it. There is countless replayability, and endless customization for making characters. And even still has a nice graphics engine for it's time. It has a long and in depth story and really indulges you into the game world. I believe this is a must buy for any RPG fan and will not disappoint. Easily a 10 out of 10. Expand
  2. QueijoM.
    Oct 22, 2003
    Best RPG ever. Period.
  3. UlliL.
    Aug 20, 2007
    In my opinion Morrowind is even better than the better-looking oblivion.
  4. Mar 11, 2011
    Fantastic. Best Action-RPG I've ever played. Story was intricate and there was seemingly no limit to where you could explore. The variety of weapons is nice. I played this game long before oblivion, and I'm disappointed to see that oblivion didn't have spears or throwing weapons.
  5. Oct 8, 2010
    this game was awesome. gameplay was exceptional and i couldnt stop playing it. still plenty of places to explore and ares and things i have not even yet touched on. replayable through the years and mods to keep going at for years still lol
  6. FranckD
    Jul 21, 2009
    There s no game yet, that have come to the deepness and size of Morrowind. Especially for those that don tlike to be grabbed by the hand and understand the real meaning of an adventure and understand concept of P&P Role Playing Game... Oblivion compared to Morrowind is a failure. And still today 2009 due to the awesome quantity of mods, i still play Morrowind, while Oblivion has been sold There s no game yet, that have come to the deepness and size of Morrowind. Especially for those that don tlike to be grabbed by the hand and understand the real meaning of an adventure and understand concept of P&P Role Playing Game... Oblivion compared to Morrowind is a failure. And still today 2009 due to the awesome quantity of mods, i still play Morrowind, while Oblivion has been sold after 3 weeks of weak gameplay, options and tale. I hope, but surely ain t waiting, that Oblivion V will be as grand as Morrowind. IF the company can only backtrack to its RPG heart as were Daggerfall and its predecessor i´ll be happy. Expand
  7. AdamH.
    Nov 18, 2004
    This is and will remain the best game i have ever played in my entire life. If you dont like this game you can't handle a world of possibilities and freedom, therefore you are dumb.
  8. Serra
    May 15, 2002
    Best RPG to date...cleans up a lot of junk floating around in Daggerfall to become a very tight (but open, especially with the Construction Set) game.
  9. DavidW.
    Nov 27, 2004
    Morrowind is a fantastic RPG! I prefered it to every other game I have ever played (tomb raider, half life, doom, neverwinter, etc). The world is beautifully drawn, exciting quests, and just plain fun to wander. Be sure to check out the islands far out in the oceans!
  10. RyanS.
    Sep 25, 2006
    Absolutely fantastic game, one of (if not THE) best game I have ever played. Open-ended and incredibly free, the sense of character development and exploration is incredible.
  11. Mar 31, 2015
    My real score would be a 9.6/10. Very good story, setting, art design and atmosphere. The environment just demands exploration and there's a very intriguing effect with the fog. Music is beautiful.

Quests are always interesting, most of the time not straight forward. You actually have to think about things and make connections between different parts of information. No GPS here, you have to use the map (a paper one can come in handy)! There are many alternative ways of dealing with situations and several outcomes. Sometimes you can skip an entire quest just by bribing someone if you would wish to. You can also trick people or double cross them. It is also possible to kill any NPC in the game (if you accept the consequences that accompany such wanton slaughter)

Unlike in Skyrim, some guild memberships are mutually exclusive, which is positive roleplaying wise.

The only negative is character animations were not so good. You can either play 1st person or download an animation mod (morrowind overhaul contains one).

This is in my top 5 PC games.
  12. AsbjørnS.
    May 22, 2007
    There's not much to say. The most impressive and complex RPG that I've played, and I feel so lucky to have stumbled upon it back in 2002.
  13. SavvasV.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Magical. I played this game so many times and I still find it magical. What I find annoying is the creatures reapearing soon after you kill them.
  14. PrimeXenon
    Jan 16, 2010
    There's games that are criticised by intelligent people for genuine reasons, and then there's games like Morrowind that are criticised by frankly daft people with an IQ clearly lower than Ned Flanders garden hedge. The main criticism seems to be the combat - (and in-game NPC's even say this about a zillion times) to hit enemies you need a high lvl of fatigue. When you think There's games that are criticised by intelligent people for genuine reasons, and then there's games like Morrowind that are criticised by frankly daft people with an IQ clearly lower than Ned Flanders garden hedge. The main criticism seems to be the combat - (and in-game NPC's even say this about a zillion times) to hit enemies you need a high lvl of fatigue. When you think theres enemies about slow to a WALK. Is that really too taxing on your brain? Nearly every "review" I've read has criticised not being "able to hit things", I cant believe theres people still criticising the game for this a Decade after its release... It truly is pathetic. Perhaps they ought to think about bringing that Rover back? Expand
  15. Sep 16, 2014
    One of the best action rpgs of all times. The game world is huge (bigger than Skyrim) and there are tons of things you can do. The main story is intoxicating and the side / guild quests are also well written. For me it doesn't matter but the graphics look really dated today (It was good at its release time). The soundtrack still holds up today. The battle system is fine. I had neverOne of the best action rpgs of all times. The game world is huge (bigger than Skyrim) and there are tons of things you can do. The main story is intoxicating and the side / guild quests are also well written. For me it doesn't matter but the graphics look really dated today (It was good at its release time). The soundtrack still holds up today. The battle system is fine. I had never problems while fighting enemies. The level up system is also really good (It is different from Skyrim. Skyrim got rid of stats like strength, dexterity etc). It has also a job system (You chose a job at the beginning of the game and get higher stats in some skills). Overall this is a timeless classic and a good choice for rpg lovers. For me it is better than Skyrim in many parts (Could not decide which is the better Elder Scrolls game). Expand
  16. Aug 16, 2014
    The best game I've ever played. Endless replay value - you could play through the already extensive main quest without even seeing a tenth of the beautiful content - go explore. Great character development mechanics, endless customization of skills and items. Libraries of in-game books you can read for hours. This game has soul.
  17. Nov 3, 2014
    It's a great game, one of the best RPGs I've played. It's nostalgic, great soundtrack and very very challenging.
    When i first played this game i hated it, it was just too hard, the combat is very hard to get used to, and i didn't even know how to level up my character, i used to die to worms. After some time i decided to give this game another chance, and i just loved it, when i learned how to play it, it was still hard, very hard, you have to explore a lot to find where you have to go.
    The only bad thing i think is because there are no fast travels, you can only teleport from guilds or if you are good with magics, but otherwise you'll have to walk all the way.
  18. Nov 16, 2015
    I've replayed Morrowind recently, and even more recently joined metacritic. So I figured I'd toss my hat in here.

Executive Summary (TL;DR) 8/10 for its time: This is largely due to tons of exploits and bugs that never should have been day 1 bugs, muchless persistent. (I just love exploiting games, but it is an indication of poor quality control.) The general fun I have playing, the

Executive Summary (TL;DR)

8/10 for its time: This is largely due to tons of exploits and bugs that never should have been day 1 bugs, muchless persistent. (I just love exploiting games, but it is an indication of poor quality control.) The general fun I have playing, the compelling story, and overall replayability make the flaws it has easy for me to overlook. This is a GREAT addition to the Elder Scrolls franchise as well as to the corpus of RPG games.

-----------

Detailed review:
    The Bad:
    1. Attributes and other boosts aren't checked/capped. There is no upper limit one can boost these to with potions. The number will also suddenly flip to a largely negative value. This is near inexplicable behavior if you don't know the innards of a computer (I do). If you love exploiting things look at the next item for why this is bad even if you don't cross that magical negative flipping boundary.

2. Some temporary boost potions can kill you when they wear off, if you have boosted yourself more than 2x your HP, and have taken more than 1x your HP in damage that's unhealed. I experienced this with 30seconds of a quick save and 6 hours of the prior regular save. I eventually survived...

3. Buggy on release. Many of these bugs persist, long after the game is no longer being maintained. Too many mods are needed to fix all of the bugs, bogging down the machine running it, doubly true for the hardware of 2002.

The Mediocre (Not bad, not great):
    1. Melee combat. It's serviceable, but rough.

2. Spell crafting. I like crafting spells, but the UI is merely serviceable, even by 2002 standards.

3. Side quests are a mixed bag for writing and presentation.

4. In game books -- like real life books the quality of the writing in these is all over the place. The reasons to read them are three fold: a) skill increases (very rare), b) increase player knowledge of the game realm that is Elder Scrolls, c) you actually like the book(s). (some people do!) The reason to carry them in inventory is for gold. Skill books command a good price.

5. You can talk to almost everyone! But not everyone has something valuable or interesting to say. Those with little value to say pretty much share the same dialogue tree.

6. The DLC was a mixed bag in my view. For me, the stories for those felt forced at times, with the exception of Bloodmoon.

7. The graphics were mediocre for 2002. They've not aged as well as one might have hoped. But I still enjoy the game a lot, despite this.

The great:
    1. Well thought out main story with great writing. I felt motivated to figure out if my character was actually the Nerevarine. This was a very enjoyable experience for me.

2. The RPG mechanical elements, such as skills, attributes and the like are well thought out, tho not perfectly balanced. These allow for a lot of replayability while having to master new gameplay mechanics each time.

3. In game tutorial woven through as part of the game at the start. This is a huge bonus as it ensures you know the basics of how to play and manage your character.

4. Magic is well done in this game and the variety of schools to master is a detail I find highly enjoyable. While spell crafting can be tough for the faint of heart, you have no absolute need for it. You can buy good spells in every Mages Guild.

5. Factions/Guilds have separate agenda's and their own involved quest lines that can rarely come into conflict with each other. While not as thoroughly polished as the main quest, these are still intriguing and fun to play, especially when you must choose to never complete a quest or to get ejected from a guild. If you don't like such tough choices, don't join any guilds.

6. The volume of side quests, while fulfilling the main archetypes for quests, is just astounding. You have to play for a very very long time to find, and complete them all.

7. The world map is HUGE. It's open, more open than even its descendants, and is very detailed for its time. The types of landscapes you'll encounter are varied, and with no loading screen for moving from the swampy areas to the desert and then to the ash-blown wastes that is the volcanic center of the island-nation of Morrowind. But be warned if you try that, you will be doing a lot of walking. Mage Guild Teleportation, or Silt Striders are your best fast travel options.

8. You can keep playing after the main quest is done! Yay!

In conclusion 8/10: This is a GREAT addition to the Elder Scrolls franchise as well as to the corpus of RPG games. I find this an immensely replayable, fun, well written game with a larger than desirable share of non-game-breaking bugs. If it had better QC it would have gotten a 9 or 10 from me. But as a professional software engineer of over 20 years, and having played video games since Pong in the 1970s (I was a wee tot then), I have high expectations of software, especially games.
  19. TynanL.
    Mar 14, 2003
    This game is by far one of the best games i have ever seen the graphics are amazing, the game play is involved and it just keeps calling you back to play it over and over again.
  20. ChrisR
    Jul 6, 2009
    Fantastic story, amazing graphics with an astonishing range of beautifully detailed environments. Literally hundreds of hours of interesting side-quests. You can master everything with one character so there's no need to play though several times. You can literally become an invincible godlike figure and still encounter various challenges. Dwarfs virtually every other RPG i've Fantastic story, amazing graphics with an astonishing range of beautifully detailed environments. Literally hundreds of hours of interesting side-quests. You can master everything with one character so there's no need to play though several times. You can literally become an invincible godlike figure and still encounter various challenges. Dwarfs virtually every other RPG i've ever played. A truely incredible feat of game engineering. My favourite game of all time. Expand
  21. Reximal
    May 31, 2002
    Outstanding...
  22. KevinM.
    Jun 10, 2002
    Simply outstanding. Incredible breadth of character creation and gameplay options combine with hundreds of quests and a huge, hand-crafted gameworld to deliver a game that's a winner in every way. Run, do not walk, to buy this one now.
  23. SeanW.
    Feb 16, 2003
    A wonderful game in scope and gameplay. Tech issue there are but maybe more people should take the time to read the system req. and not just the fluff about a game.
  24. DavidL.
    Mar 18, 2003
    I spend all my time playing this game!!!
  25. TweetyT.
    Mar 22, 2006
    The best RPG game I ever played, enough for months of playing. With plugins, such as Better Bodies it looks awesome.
  26. ChrisE.
    May 10, 2007
    This game was not only good in warfare but the graphics where at its peak.
  27. TempletonT.
    Mar 11, 2006
    I have played this game more than any other in the history of videogames.
  28. ArandomRPGlover
    Jun 18, 2006
    This just has to the the best ever game in the world! Everything about it is just so brill, it is faultless in every way, a beautiful game, love it to bits! Played to death, I will soon have to buy a new copy! I can't wait to get Oblivion!
  29. Brandon
    Dec 16, 2008
    This only game that I have replayed several times using other player classes and haven't even finished the main quest! This is because, with the numerous guilds, its ridiculous, if not impossible, to experience them properly the first time through. Bought it was it was released in 02', still playing it now in 08' with unfortunately(?) nothing to replace it. I've tried This only game that I have replayed several times using other player classes and haven't even finished the main quest! This is because, with the numerous guilds, its ridiculous, if not impossible, to experience them properly the first time through. Bought it was it was released in 02', still playing it now in 08' with unfortunately(?) nothing to replace it. I've tried the better bodies mods which actually look better than Oblivion bodies but with one caveat - you must have clothes meshes. Expand
  30. Sep 9, 2014
    10 for the time.

Can we really review the classics from our standing? In this game's period it made the absolute best of the time, the best of the engine, the best of the origin (the setting was originally a notD&D campaign! lol) and managed to make something crazy, neat and dense. Yeah it took a lot of drugs and alcohol to hammer out the lore and setting, but if you read the
    10 for the time.

Can we really review the classics from our standing?

Yeah it took a lot of drugs and alcohol to hammer out the lore and setting, but if you read the books, if you follow the hints, you will realize that the game wants to be more; literally in game, it can be found that the game acknowledges itself as a game on a CD. This is lore friendly. This is canon

If you can balance the line between unforgiving engine, creator-ego, spiderweb multi-layer hidden-layer secret code lore, then you can really get this game.

You can lose, and lose, and really lose and still win here. I figured some of this out before there was a real internet.

He was not born a god. He chose this path of his own free will.

ALMSIVI
  31. Jul 15, 2014
    The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind is the best RPG ive ever played. I'm a very young, have played Skyrim at the first time and I thought, that it was the best time-consuming game i've ever pushed into the drive. But no. Oblivion wasn't my game, because the world was too "plastic". But Morrowind was a masterpiece. You can explore the world more than 100 hours. Yes, i know, the story was not theThe Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind is the best RPG ive ever played. I'm a very young, have played Skyrim at the first time and I thought, that it was the best time-consuming game i've ever pushed into the drive. But no. Oblivion wasn't my game, because the world was too "plastic". But Morrowind was a masterpiece. You can explore the world more than 100 hours. Yes, i know, the story was not the best and you can play it through in 1 hour, but the RPG gameplay was revolutionary in this age of time and for me. The graphics are today irrelevant, when you are a real RPG-player.

The Elder Scrolls have changed my life.

Sorry for translation errors
  32. Aug 2, 2014
    A Masterpiece! By far the best chapter in The Elder Scrolls series as well as one of the best RPG's of all time. Bethesda created a beautiful, huge and unique world of Morrowind that catches you, immerses you and won't let you out so easily and when it does, you will be blessed with a fantasy experience to remember. The world and the creatures inhabiting it were all so unique, atmosphereA Masterpiece! By far the best chapter in The Elder Scrolls series as well as one of the best RPG's of all time. Bethesda created a beautiful, huge and unique world of Morrowind that catches you, immerses you and won't let you out so easily and when it does, you will be blessed with a fantasy experience to remember. The world and the creatures inhabiting it were all so unique, atmosphere so mysterious, politics between the houses intriguing, main Nerevarine story very epic, game mechanics amazingly complex with so much freedom, creating your own spells, mixing potions, joining countless factions and doing quests, building your own stronghold and living there including taking care of your own staff, flying all over the world, just doing what the hell you want to do. Morrowind was also the first time The Elder Scrolls introduced talented Jeremy Soule, his spectacular soundtrack and theme that continued to be amazing and one of the trademarks of the entire series, but it was exceptionally good here. I love Morrowind and it's definitely not just nostalgia, recently I played through this again after playing through all the other TES chapters and it only proved my opinion that Morrowind is without a doubt the best of them all. 10/10 Expand
  33. Oct 21, 2014
    I enjoyed sneaking up on that one guard who eventually saw me licking a sweet roll. I decided to play oblivion but enjoyed it so much that I played morrowind again. I enjoyed sticking post-it notes on my wall in real life but I enjoed killing a skeever more. I want to marry this game?
  34. Aug 8, 2014
    The vast, seemingly neverending map with no invisible walls and a dark, at times spooky plot made the game engrossing. The journal was a huge drawback though, because it was impossible to find older missions.
  35. Oct 17, 2015
    I've re-written my review to honor this game better.
    I've re-written my review to honor this game better.
    Morrowind was my first true open-world RPG experience. It was massive. Unbelievable, how big this world was, and how realistic it feet. It was true immersion of the kind that I had been looking for in a game for so long - Morrowind made it come true. The key to that experience was that the game world didn't make me feel too welcome. I had to find my place there myself. Following the plot, I could become a great hero - or focus on advancing in the ranks of a guild that I sympathize with - or I could avoid the sociability and just explore ash deserts, climb mountains ... follow a river, hoping to hit a village soon, not knowing if a would find allies there ... or enter dungeons, not knowing if I can make it out, or if I will find the treasure. Morrowind is rough, it let me die under lots of different circumstances. Stealing, fighting, or just talking - none of it is easy from the start, but depending on my own focus, I can make it work. Well, in fact, a little more common sense could have prevented me from dying most of the time ... Still, it was worth it - dying out of stupidity made the world consistent! Reality doesn't do that anymore.

Trivia:
    Vivec, the capital, is the most annoying virtual city I have ever been forced to visit. I would *not* live there.
    I love the magic skills in this game: you can play completely different types of magicians - or, as before: ignore it and whack the wildlife with club, sword or bow instead. Why fly, when you can jump? (But flying is cooler.) You can do both.
    Once I got myself trapped on a roof and didn't want to reload, so I started jumping in place until my Acrobatics were advanced enough to let me survive the fall. Needless to say, skilling took more time than replaying the lost part would have - but it felt like an achievement. Stupid old days.

Reasons to stay in Morrowind:
    What happens when the nostalgia fades? Well, even then Morrowind should still be worth a (longer) look, and that is because of its freedom, and because of its world. Some may call it barren, lacking vegetation, or miss people riding about. Yet this is not a big deal, I think. The different regions have a lot of character, despite the raw textures. Not to forget that essentially you are an explorer in a rough world, and people would be strange to have around in a desert. People stay in their towns, that is what towns are for. The only thing I missed, are more trees and animals. The latter can be modded into the game.

Bugs:
    Some are bound to happen. Quests might fail because of dysfunctional pathfinding or unforeseen events. Saving and loading skills required. Be careful: As realistic as it is to be able to kill anybody - without some characters, certain quests (even the main quest) will be impossible to complete, and some doors will stay closed.

Tech:
    While the sound is great, the graphics are not. I would not call them ugly, because I do value a fitting texture, and I really like the water, even when I've seen better. This game does not need hi-def graphics, but if you do, then it's simply not a match :)
    My opinion regarding the basic technology, the interface, and the modding capabilities are basically the same as those in my review for Oblivion, Morrowind's successor. It was mostly negative criticism, though. As a result, after hundreds of hours of installing and running modifications, I've decided to stop doing that entirely, for as long as the foundation of the Elder Scrolls games is so not fit for modding. Here my review ends on a bitter note (because I love the things you can do with mods).

I rate Morrowind one point over Oblivion, rewarding its deeper roughness, its greater cultural richness, and higher exploratory qualities. Ash deserts, you are my true home!
  36. May 19, 2015
    It feels clumsy, slow, disorientating. You need to read huge amounts of text because there is near to no voice acting. You wan't to wipe your butt with the quest journal because it's that useless. You miss 80 % of your attacks and there is no quick travel per se.

What a masterpiece of gaming. The best Elder Scrolls game. This should be descreption enough. Morrowind the game makes you wan't to live in Morrowind the world. And would you just listen to the theme?!

You can mod it extensively as well, progressing it's graphics by about 6 years. Just head over to Nexus or ModDB.

All time classic, Hall of Famer.
  37. Apr 20, 2015
    Morrowind was the last chapter of The Elder Scrolls, that I played quite recently. I liked this for sure, as well as other chapters, however it is good to analyze the strengths and weaknesses in detail.

The plot of Morrowind guarantees the quality typical of The Elder Scrolls. The story is exceptional, cured in every detail, and nothing is left to chance. Characters, settings and events are mixed to create something fantastic. Also the island of Vvardenfell has a charm all its own, and the prophecy of Nerevarine is a narrative device that captures immediately. Everything works and is simply excellent.

The gameplay of Morrowind was certainly innovative for the time, there is no doubt about this. True free exploration, organized inventory, editor of the character quite nice, day-night cycle in real time, excellent management of dialogue, freedom in clothing rather extensive, many selectable abilities and their progress is quite realistic: the more you use it, the more you become good at it. Obviously, the game also has its flaws. Maybe I'm being too fond of the gameplay in Oblivion, that I played first, but I can not tolerate faults in Morrowind: the absence of teleportation in places already visited (the map is tiring to walk), the absence of the indicator of the missions' objectives that I found personally unthinkable; and especially the fighting. The fights are too complexed. The feedback of the combat system is strange: you do not know if you really hit the target or not, or even if it is a malfunction of the game. Really, simply absurd. However the gameplay of Morrowind, as criticable, is also incredibly advanced for its time. Morrowind is simply immature, being the first real change in the saga, and its gameplay would be developed over time.

The graphics are beautiful, even after more than a decade, remarkable work especially in the environments. The soundtrack is fantastic, composed by Jeremy Soule.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is really a fantastic game, a turning point in the genre of rpg-games, and an important starting point for the subsequent chapters of the saga, that despite an immature gameplay, is able to maintain an exceptional quality.
  38. Apr 12, 2015
    Morrowind may be the greatest RPG ever created; it is not without its flaws, and requires dedication and patience to play, but it rewards that dedication like no other game.

Morrowind is a game for explorers: set mostly on the island of Vvardenfell, it immerses you in perhaps the richest game world created to date, with kilometres of geography to explore from the claustrophobic swamps of the Bitter Coast, to the sparkling beauty of the Ascadian Isles, to the harsh wastes of the Ashlands and much, much more. The lore of the world is equally rich, with a complex historical, political and cultural background that will take you hours and hours to fully understand, if you ever do. The best part is that this lore isn't just there for interest - it's directly relevant to both the main and the myriad 'side' quests, which are often just as immersive as the main quest, and constitute a full game in their own right.

Vvardenfell is a harsh, unforgiving place. The native dark elves, or Dunmer, are a gravelly-voiced, proud and reserved people who by-and-large regard outlanders, such as yourself, with little more than disdain. That is, until you prove yourself to them. This is perhaps a reflection of the land they inhabit, a volcanic island infested with all sorts of nasty predator, and plagued by constant infighting between the great houses of the Dunmer, as well as countless other factions such as the Temple, the Empire, the Cammona Tong etc., most of which you can join. The history of the world is incredibly rich and original, and is tangled in the conflicting lies of those who wrote it - whose side you believe is up to your own interpretation. There are hundreds of books scattered throughout the game world to help you with this, but most of it is picked up in a sort of osmosis as you wander through the island, which is so alive with its own history, perhaps due to the rather backward-looking inhabitants.

The gameplay is equally harsh and unforgiving. You are thrust into the world with vague directions to see a guy in Balmora, and no equipment but what you can beg, steal and eventually earn. You are not handheld, there is no levelling system, and stumbling into fights you can't win is a common feature of your early days. This imparts a sense of vulnerability that's lacking in later titles, and a sense that the world wasn't just created for you to beat - it's been there long before you arrived and will still be there long after you're gone. It feels like a real place. There's no fast travel and no quest markers - finding things in the world means listening carefully to instructions you're given by NPCs, and this makes questing feel like real exploration - frustrating and long-winded but full of surprises due to the rich game world. This is not a game you can sleepwalk through; for even the basic quests you need to be switched on.

For players of Skyrim I'd liken TES:V to a trip to the zoo and Morrowind to a safari. Sure, it's more effort, and it's dangerous, and the lions aren't marked out with a big sign, but that's sort of the point.

This all makes it so much more rewarding when you reach your full potential - a god-like mortal wielding artefacts of legendary power, many of which you may have created yourself. The lack of levelling is not a missing feature - it's there to keep you on edge when you enter a fight, not knowing for sure if you can win, and make you feel like a badass when you're a high level, because you've earned it. That's not to say you won't be surprised now and again - there's always a bigger fish if you go looking for it.

The quests are generally interesting, designed not just as excuses to send you down a dungeon to kill more undead, but as chances to expose you to the varied environments and lore of the world (all of which is detailed wonderfully in your journal for reference). This is fortunate, because the gameplay is easily the most lacking part of the game. Combat can be a chore, as it is essentially a click-fest. Whether you damage the enemy is decided by your skill levels, and this can mean repeatedly swinging your sword or spear or whatever only to see it harmlessly pass through your target. This is probably the game's greatest flaw, and one that I would unreservedly change to the updated system of Skyrim, or perhaps something like Dark Messiah.

The graphics are a little dated, though still beautiful in their own way, and this can be fixed with mods. Animation and AI have aged badly too, and seeing NPCs standing facing a wall for, well sometimes forever, day and night, is also a little immersion breaking at times.

But look beyond past these flaws, and you will be rewarded with the most immersive, rewarding and fascinating experience. An adventure like no other where you earn your place in a harsh world that at first seems totally alien, but gradually starts to feel like home as you grow to know and understand its people, its history, its gods and its soul. Oh, and do try the mods.
  39. Jul 11, 2014
    The first open world RPG I ever played. Whilst Oblivion and Skyrim have obviously improved graphically and in size, Morrowind without doubt remains the best of the bunch.
  40. May 27, 2015
    I remember my first's steps in Morrowind described as "disoriented", then turned "agoraphobic", and was slowly become in "awesomeness" as I discovered locations, NPCs, items, quests, freedom... of course it has lots of bugs but was solved with mods and today the game has aged well with a vast community that continues modding to keep it up to date. I think I'll play it again well modded...
  41. Dec 11, 2014
    One of my favorite game of all time. A big, open world, RPG. There is just no limit to what you can do. Yes, the combat system is boring if you play a warrior. But play a mage, and you will have infinite possibility of... anything! You can create your spell and enchant your item with no limit (like jumping over a mountain).

The details in the game are just amazing. and the world is

The details in the game are just amazing. and the world is really fun to explore!
  42. May 20, 2015
    Ah..Morrowind. My recent interview for The Witcher 3 inspired me to write one for this classic as well. Graphics have not aged well but there are ways around that. MGSO really rejuvenated this classic for me on pc, as I no longer own an original Xbox for which I previously owned this place.

What a wondrous game in the literal sense of the world. To this day I still remember my first playthrough. Came from old school jRPG's like FF and had no clue what Morrowind style cRPGs were about. Gave up after first couple of hours. Persevered because of a lot of free time at the time and it really began to shine through. I remember creating a Nord, finding a steel dai-katana and thinking it was the greatest weapon ever. Through some miracle defeated an Ordinator, wore his armor and the rest is history as they say. Needless to say I restarted pretty quick.

Unparalleled in its ability to captivate you and draw you in. This is not nostalgia speaking either. I'm enjoying it immensely again on a very fresh playthrough: I havent played the game since Oblivion, then Fallout 3 and after that Skyrim came out. After trying to replay FO3 again (it was impossible) this feels so much better. The atmosphere, music, distinct races and peoples of Vvardenfell and sheer content and the way it all goes together is, to this day (13 years since release!) unparallelled. All it needs is some polishing of the graphics (ie MGSO) and it's good to go. Unlike Skyrim and Oblivion which were good games with their own merits but "needed" tons of mods (IMO) to really give them replay value. I can honestly say that with MGSO, this came looks better than many current-gen games. As I own a PS4 as well, I'm able to make a good comparison (with say, Destiny which looks pretty damn good) this is what really struck me.

This is one for the ages and a game I will never forget. I STILL haven't found everything and I must be on my tenth playthrough at least. Only "bad" thing about this game is the lack of urgency in the storytelling but on the flip-side, this is also what gives the game its soul. So I'm not going to deduct a point for that.
  43. Oct 10, 2016
    Morrowind is a unique RPG experience. For hardcore RPG and The Elder Scrolls fans is, perhaps, the best of the series. However, technical issues and gameplay mechanics may keep away potential players. I will be reviewing the game in its vanilla status and without the expansions.

The premise in Morrowind is to offer the player an open world to enjoy a complex rpg. This game does not hold your hand, even from the start off you are only told how to move your character and interact with the world. After the short introductory section where you pick a race, class, sign; you are thrown into the world of Morrowind with a scratch of the main story and vague directions to follow it. Yes you are free, bound to bad mechanics and to new comers this freedom can be overwhelming at start. I had to try it four times until I actually began to feel the game and enjoy it for the summ of its parts, except combat.

The story: you begin as a prisoner who is liberated in the island of Vvardenfell, an island of Morrowind. The empire has a partial control of the land, but the ashlanders (the original people o Morrowind or dark elves) see the outsiders with distrust and would like to see the empire gone. Anyway, you soon learn that you are an agent for the empire, a position you must accept as a condition for your liberation. However you are not forced to follow the main quest which, in short, is to learn and discover the truth behind the legend of the Neverarine, a lieberator of Morrowind. The story is interesting, but if you are the kind of player who does not like to read dialogue, forget it. Later on, you will be immersed with different political and religious factions, so reading dialogue is a must.

The journal is key to follow the quests and your progress in the story. However, the implementation in the vanilla game leaves a lot to be desired. A couple of hours in the game and the journal will be filled with information and keeping track of what you have done and what you should be doing in a quest can be a quest on its own. A pen and paper is your best friend, because the in-game journal is a liability.

The game world: Morrowind is a strange land; it has marshes, deserts, giant mushrooms as trees, and even unique architecture in cities like Ald´Ruhn. It has also a huge city called Vivec which for new comers will be a challenge to get around. Traveling in Morrowind is both a dangerous and long process. There is no fast travel, only silt striders in major towns, or you can use scrolls (provided you have bought them) to return to specific places, or be teleported between cities which have a mages guild.

But the story is the excuse to learn to play Morrowind. You can join the Fighters Guild, the Mages Guild, Thieves Guild, the local criminal syndicate Camonna Tong. You can adventure just to build up your character doing whatever you want. But this game is hard, you will die a lot, so saving is very very very important (also because it will crash sometimes).

The combat mechanics is a feature you may to get used to. It is very bad actually. Whether you hit a target with your weapon depends on the stats behind the scene, and since you do not have any indication if you hit your target or not, in the beginning of the game, combat can be anything but immersive and fun, and a trial by fire. If your character is going to be a warrior, be sure to pick the right perks. If combat in rpgs is your thing, Morrowind is not for you. Later on the combat is improved by your character´s stats, but it is not the attraction of Morrowind.

However, the thing about Morrowind is that you actually feel you build up your character. Yes, the beginning is hard and is a chore to say the least, but if you endure, you may get the satisfaction of your hard work. That is why this game is for those who enjoy spending time, failing, finding other ways to do things. It does not hold your hand, but rewards your persistence as you gain experience and if you overlook the bad combat. The NPCs do not level up with your character, so the weak ones who were a chore to defeat swinging your weapon like and idiot, will be a piece of cake later on; and the ones who made your life very hard because your level was too low, will be challenging but not unbeatable once your character is of a higher level.

Morrowind offers also an alchemy system. In the beginning you may actually fail to make potions, but little by little things work out for the better. Again, you gain experience with dedication.

Morrowind is a game that is and will be considered one of the best of the TES series by the hardcore fans. The joy comes from the freedom of Morrowind when you have high enough level to survive a rat or worm attack, and from mechanics exploits. While it is good that the game is challenging, the bad combat mechanics, awkward animations, the absence of fast travel and the comboluted journal, makes the life of the player harder than it should be and less fun.
  44. Mar 20, 2016
    Ok, morrowind is the best Elder scrolls game to date, it had the most Character slots, The most magic, the most weapon variety, Holy **** there were **** Throwing Knives and stars even darts. Now the story of this game is that you are the neveriane, this prized being of any race that you picked at the beginning of the game that is supposed to stop the almighty Dagoth Ur, that lives on theOk, morrowind is the best Elder scrolls game to date, it had the most Character slots, The most magic, the most weapon variety, Holy **** there were **** Throwing Knives and stars even darts. Now the story of this game is that you are the neveriane, this prized being of any race that you picked at the beginning of the game that is supposed to stop the almighty Dagoth Ur, that lives on the peak of red mountian. Now there are tons and tons of side quests, Skill variety, there was even a medium armor class, there was washakis and there were even short swords and long swords. i think ive done enough explaining, at matter of fact ima play this game right now Expand
  45. Aug 28, 2016
    The Elder Scrolls is my favourite RPG Franchise and The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind is the best game in The Elder Scrolls Series, not to mention Skyrim. TES III Morrowind is amazing game for 2002, graphics in this game much better than in TES II Duggerfall, Storyline in this game is awesome, gaming world is bigger than in TES II Duggerfall and in this world very funny, in this game thereThe Elder Scrolls is my favourite RPG Franchise and The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind is the best game in The Elder Scrolls Series, not to mention Skyrim. TES III Morrowind is amazing game for 2002, graphics in this game much better than in TES II Duggerfall, Storyline in this game is awesome, gaming world is bigger than in TES II Duggerfall and in this world very funny, in this game there are skeletons, TES II hasnt got skeleton, TES III Morrowind ever better than TES IV Oblivion, but best game in series TES V Skyrim. TES III Morrowind is amazing game, awesome game and deserve rate in 9/10. Expand
  46. Aug 19, 2016
    This game would easily be 10 out of 10. I've played RPG's since the mid 80's on PC and recently fired up Morrowind Overhaul (the best way to play the game) and it still suffers from clunky combat, slow movement and semi-lifeless environments. The same feelings I had about the game when it was released ages ago. Somewhat overrated IMO, its still a great RPG to lose yourself in for hundredsThis game would easily be 10 out of 10. I've played RPG's since the mid 80's on PC and recently fired up Morrowind Overhaul (the best way to play the game) and it still suffers from clunky combat, slow movement and semi-lifeless environments. The same feelings I had about the game when it was released ages ago. Somewhat overrated IMO, its still a great RPG to lose yourself in for hundreds of hours just don't expect it to have aged very well even with the improvements. Expand
  47. Nov 22, 2015
    Again, one of those games that revolutionized my Game awareness :) i was not ready man, i was not ready for such scale and for such involving depth. It was overwhelming at first, but once i got used to it - there was no turning back, man :))
    A superbly magnificent example of not only the RPG genre, but an epitome of what a dedicated game design can accomplish.
    Are there titles out there
    Are there titles out there today that can compare with such humble nobility as Morrowind?
  48. Feb 13, 2016
    This is the deepest, most immersive RPG I have ever played in my life. Install the Morrowind Graphics Overhaul to bring new life to this incredible game. Playing this game is like playing your way through an enthralling, 700 page novel. I can't recommend the GOTY version of this game highly enough.
  49. Nov 22, 2015
    What is the best RPG ever? My first 2 answers: Baldurs Gate 2 and Morrowind. Gameplay is complex, the char creation very free, unfortunately has some weaknesses, but anyway there are a lot of possibilities. You can do a lot of things, even creat new spells. The world is amazing, open world at its best: there are so many things to discover and rewarding. There is so many content to discoverWhat is the best RPG ever? My first 2 answers: Baldurs Gate 2 and Morrowind. Gameplay is complex, the char creation very free, unfortunately has some weaknesses, but anyway there are a lot of possibilities. You can do a lot of things, even creat new spells. The world is amazing, open world at its best: there are so many things to discover and rewarding. There is so many content to discover and understand, epic in onw word. And the whole world is adult, very immersive. No childish dialogs, no arrows above NPCs and so on. Music perfect, I still listen to the main theme in my car. Graphic is good even today, but only if you put a lot of mods, otherwise is very outdated. Normally I dont like games that demands 100 or 200 hours of your life, but this game made it. I dont know any better open world RPG. Thank you Bethesda. Expand
  50. Jul 31, 2016
    There is only one Elder Scrolls worth playing and it's Morrowind. To be honest, I regret spending my time on Oblivion and Skyrim and wish I had only played Morrowind. Oblivion and Skyrim are the dumbed down versions of Morrowind and everything gets boring very fast. I'd get a HD mod of Morrowind and play it again!
  51. Jan 18, 2016
    I've got many years ago the GOTY edition..its an amazing game that u can still play without hesitation...Just imagine being on ur own in an open world where everywhere u meet something , u want to go one direction to find something and u meet something else.Missions much more interesting than the ones that new games have , AI much better than new games ofcourse...New games like Creed , MGSI've got many years ago the GOTY edition..its an amazing game that u can still play without hesitation...Just imagine being on ur own in an open world where everywhere u meet something , u want to go one direction to find something and u meet something else.Missions much more interesting than the ones that new games have , AI much better than new games ofcourse...New games like Creed , MGS , Cause etc etc have AS (artificial stupidity)...This one is a feast for the eyes. Expand
  52. Jan 20, 2016
    Al jugar Morrowind sentía realmente como si la isla de Vvardenfell estuviera realmente viva, todo eso a pesar de la evidente “estaticidad” de su mundo y de sus personajes. Sencillamente explorar las ruinas, tumbas y cavernas es una delicia, perderte en sus regiones y poblados para luego encontrar un artefacto legendario por pura coincidencia, es una impresión sencillamente extraordinaria.Al jugar Morrowind sentía realmente como si la isla de Vvardenfell estuviera realmente viva, todo eso a pesar de la evidente “estaticidad” de su mundo y de sus personajes. Sencillamente explorar las ruinas, tumbas y cavernas es una delicia, perderte en sus regiones y poblados para luego encontrar un artefacto legendario por pura coincidencia, es una impresión sencillamente extraordinaria. Aun hoy son pocos los juegos me han hecho pasar tantas horas frente a una pantalla, todas ellas dedicadas a explorar los recovecos del Morrowind, todo eso a pesar de las modernas mejoras gráficas y de hardware. La historia a pesar de no ser extraordinaria es ciertamente interesante, la cantidad de cosas que hay que conocer es inmensa, el "lore" es colosal y ciertamente interesante, la cantidad de gremios a los que puedes unirte es también grandiosa y aún hoy, todavía sigo encontrando misiones que jamás había realizado. Es un juego grandioso y no es la nostalgia la que habla por mí. Expand
  53. Jan 20, 2016
    By today's standards on a technical level this game is pretty bad. But, the sheer amount of content, and how well the main story and side quest merge together makes this game quite amazing. its big. takes at least 50 hours to beat. and has a huge amount of hardcore RPG elements. if i was rating this game when it game out it would be a 10 or close to it. but by today's standers its a littleBy today's standards on a technical level this game is pretty bad. But, the sheer amount of content, and how well the main story and side quest merge together makes this game quite amazing. its big. takes at least 50 hours to beat. and has a huge amount of hardcore RPG elements. if i was rating this game when it game out it would be a 10 or close to it. but by today's standers its a little dated in the graphical and technical departments ...i give this game a STRONG 8 Expand
  54. Aug 16, 2016
    One of my two favourite games of all time.............................................................................................................
  55. Apr 13, 2016
    I loved the story, the big differences between landscapes. lots of reliable weapons and armor. a lot of spells more than oblivion and much more than skyrim. you start really really weak but at the end you are this super creature that ended the great evil no one could. enchanting is much better than oblivion and skyrim , needs some tweaks though. i really liked the various styles ofI loved the story, the big differences between landscapes. lots of reliable weapons and armor. a lot of spells more than oblivion and much more than skyrim. you start really really weak but at the end you are this super creature that ended the great evil no one could. enchanting is much better than oblivion and skyrim , needs some tweaks though. i really liked the various styles of dungeons not like oblivion its just 2 or 3 styles . lots and lots of quests , the main quest, the great house quest and 7 guilds each has their own quest line most of them not 100% linear . traveling was cool with spells. the exploration was awesome you wouldn't know what lies in a seemingly regular looking cave it could have a legendary item or a one of a kind quest.the lore in the books was complementing the plot. so overall its my personal "best game i have ever played" of course half life 2 too. Expand
  56. Feb 12, 2017
    In 2017 it's still one of the best and most immersive gaming experiences you'll ever stumble upon. You need to have patience and it actually demands your attention in order to progress. No baby-sitting. Play it with overhaul mods and you won't regret it
  57. RobertT
    Jan 3, 2010
    An amazing game; full of an awesome storyline that takes you through an enticing magical world... the person who reviewed before me has no idea of how great this game is...
  58. Aug 16, 2012
    It's really hard NOT to love this game. Good graphics, even with the advancements we have today. Great environment. Bethesda actually developed a new world and culture in this game - something they had a hard time doing with Oblivion or Skyrim. The creative monsters and terrain made Morrowind Morrowind. The only thing missing is starting game combat (80% chance to miss), but that can beIt's really hard NOT to love this game. Good graphics, even with the advancements we have today. Great environment. Bethesda actually developed a new world and culture in this game - something they had a hard time doing with Oblivion or Skyrim. The creative monsters and terrain made Morrowind Morrowind. The only thing missing is starting game combat (80% chance to miss), but that can be looked over easily. Expand
  59. Caticus
    Jun 5, 2004
    Brilliant... A few bugs prevent it getting a 10, but still the best!
  60. May 20, 2011
    Probably the best, or one of the best games I played in my life. I was lost to the world for 2 or 3 weeks when playing Morrowind. Ooops, sorry - not playing. I was LIVING in there for these 2 weeks... Huge area to visit (I totally LOVE to tour nice game worlds), filled with creatures living their own lives and stories, filled with both farms, houses, regular villages, as well as mysteriousProbably the best, or one of the best games I played in my life. I was lost to the world for 2 or 3 weeks when playing Morrowind. Ooops, sorry - not playing. I was LIVING in there for these 2 weeks... Huge area to visit (I totally LOVE to tour nice game worlds), filled with creatures living their own lives and stories, filled with both farms, houses, regular villages, as well as mysterious ruins, caves, crazy buildings. I also live the background of this world - history, races, religion, etc. Every cRPG fan (and I think also every RPG fan ;) ) that has 2 or 3 weeks of free time should play this game. Expand
  61. Jul 15, 2012
    A masterpiece, truly. I played many games and many RPG. But it is really hard to find a game, in which you actually want to return to. Now, even RPG started to be simple. Just another game to entertain you for a dozen of hours. Meh. Morrowind offer you a world so deep, that you can drown in it. There was a lot of games after Morrowind. It all better looking (Morrowind was released in 2001,A masterpiece, truly. I played many games and many RPG. But it is really hard to find a game, in which you actually want to return to. Now, even RPG started to be simple. Just another game to entertain you for a dozen of hours. Meh. Morrowind offer you a world so deep, that you can drown in it. There was a lot of games after Morrowind. It all better looking (Morrowind was released in 2001, many people forgetting it). Some of them quite interesting. But here I am again, making my way through Ashlands, keeping my eye on this cliff racers or trying to sell a stolen silver vase to a Breton trader in Peligiad... Its a nostalgia, that making players to start this game over and over again. To dive in a world of fading beauty, immerse landscapes, loneliness and adventures, waiting for you to make few steps toward it.
    Is it boring? Well, yes. If you used to hack and slash games, that pretending to be RPG, and waiting for game to spit a world right into your face, this one is not for you.
    Try to understand, that Morrowind truly offer you a different world. Explore it. Live in it. And you will be rewarded with one of the best RPG of generation.
    P.S. Than, if you want to try something new - try Tamriel Rebuilt (or other mods). Or create your own mod for Morrowind with TES Construction Set)
  62. Jun 28, 2012
    Even years after it's release and many hours of gameplay later, I still find myself going back to this game. I think this game gave me more enjoyment then any other RPG I've ever played. Truthfully I think the only improvements Bethesda made in Oblivion or Skyrim were the graphics and combat system. Otherwise I would say that Morrowind is far better then the later sequels. The storyline,Even years after it's release and many hours of gameplay later, I still find myself going back to this game. I think this game gave me more enjoyment then any other RPG I've ever played. Truthfully I think the only improvements Bethesda made in Oblivion or Skyrim were the graphics and combat system. Otherwise I would say that Morrowind is far better then the later sequels. The storyline, quests, and factions are very deep and I loved being a wizard with a levitate spell flying all across the land. Each town has its own distinct feel and the towns don't feel copy pasted like they do in Oblivion. Perhaps the greatest thing about this game is it gave you the feeling of a treasure hunter as you could find any item at any level unlike Skyrim and Oblivion where both monsters and items level up with you. This game is a game I will always remember as a true RPG. It wasn't just a game it was an experience. Expand
  63. MickJ
    Jan 4, 2010
    How is it possible I've to read certain things... Morrowind is a RPG, unlike Oblivion. In a RPG you have to train your skills to ACTUALLY "hit the things". If anyone wants to always hit then go playing OB or any other hack'n'slash. Pros: an incredibly well-constructed story, with a very detailed politic background, a stunning enviroment diversity, a very good, quite How is it possible I've to read certain things... Morrowind is a RPG, unlike Oblivion. In a RPG you have to train your skills to ACTUALLY "hit the things". If anyone wants to always hit then go playing OB or any other hack'n'slash. Pros: an incredibly well-constructed story, with a very detailed politic background, a stunning enviroment diversity, a very good, quite balanced skill system, same for the magic system, satisfying side-quests, a great soundtrack. Cons: too many bugs (without (un)official patches), combat system sometimes a bit "scabby" switching between phis. and mag. attacks, and I preferred more RPG style weapon attacks with random damage. Conclusion:there would be many other things to say, but the fact is that THIS is a masterpiece, to enjoy little by little, without being in a hurry. Expand
    Dec 22, 2007
    This is the best game in the world. Way better than oblivion, but thats my opinion.
  65. Oct 10, 2010
    Morrowind is for passionate gamers who like the idea of deep role play. If you were to feel proud when you have served a faction or ordinary citizen, confronted and destroyed evil deities, uncovered conspiracies in religions, like the idea of fantasy politics, and more, get this game if you are a storyline centered person. If your first experience was with Oblivion and now you feel as ifMorrowind is for passionate gamers who like the idea of deep role play. If you were to feel proud when you have served a faction or ordinary citizen, confronted and destroyed evil deities, uncovered conspiracies in religions, like the idea of fantasy politics, and more, get this game if you are a storyline centered person. If your first experience was with Oblivion and now you feel as if you have run out of things to do, get Morrowind. Expand
  66. Sep 11, 2012
    Morrowind is one of the best RPG games on PC. Ever. The game is incredibly immersive. Without fast travel the game forces you to explore, in a good way. Combat is hard and challenging, perfect for old-school players. The lands of Morrowind are huge and art design does not fail, but provides beautiful scenery. Graphics are outdated but when the game was new it had one of the best engines onMorrowind is one of the best RPG games on PC. Ever. The game is incredibly immersive. Without fast travel the game forces you to explore, in a good way. Combat is hard and challenging, perfect for old-school players. The lands of Morrowind are huge and art design does not fail, but provides beautiful scenery. Graphics are outdated but when the game was new it had one of the best engines on the market. Must buy for hardcore RPG players. Expand
  67. Jan 8, 2012
    My favourite game of all time. It took me a while to get into it, because it is so confusing at first, but well worth it. I enjoyed being part of the guilds much more than in Oblivion and Skyrim because: foremost that you had to be a certain skill level to rise the ranks, secondly that it had ranks at all (Skyrim), and thirdly because of the long time you spent with the guild made you moreMy favourite game of all time. It took me a while to get into it, because it is so confusing at first, but well worth it. I enjoyed being part of the guilds much more than in Oblivion and Skyrim because: foremost that you had to be a certain skill level to rise the ranks, secondly that it had ranks at all (Skyrim), and thirdly because of the long time you spent with the guild made you more loyal to them, and your guildmates. Expand
  68. Sep 22, 2012
    AMAZING GAME! Great story, Bloodmoon and Tribunal were excellent expansions. A huge open world, many unique factions to join. Still, was a little bugged that I couldn't join House Dagoth and rule as a God-King without a mod.
  69. J
    May 9, 2005
    This is probbaly the greatest crafted RPG you could hope for, too bad it was single player only, but Elder scrolls players are not open minded and turn down the idea. The storyline took me 3 months to figure out, and a lot of moving. It also presents you with interesting challenges like not being bale to instantly travel to every city. Items were not overpowered, and many looked awesome This is probbaly the greatest crafted RPG you could hope for, too bad it was single player only, but Elder scrolls players are not open minded and turn down the idea. The storyline took me 3 months to figure out, and a lot of moving. It also presents you with interesting challenges like not being bale to instantly travel to every city. Items were not overpowered, and many looked awesome for tis time. Morrowind is definently the rpg for the average gamer. Expand
  70. GrantH.
    Apr 18, 2005
    This game kicks as much butt as Jet Li.
  71. Ryanb
    Jun 16, 2009
    This is one of the best games ever, i compare so many games to this, and they almost never come close to being so engaging. The joy of exploring this dense and diverse world, will leave you coming back for more, and more. While today its hard to find the graphics amazing, now that the game has been out for 7 years, they are still well done, and the concepts solid. The main weakness is the This is one of the best games ever, i compare so many games to this, and they almost never come close to being so engaging. The joy of exploring this dense and diverse world, will leave you coming back for more, and more. While today its hard to find the graphics amazing, now that the game has been out for 7 years, they are still well done, and the concepts solid. The main weakness is the combat system, which in the early levels of your character will be incredibly frustrating, but as you progress this becomes less and less of an issue. You basically miss a lot until you get some decent skills. The sheer number of items, weapons and armors has yet to be matched in a game. This game is far better then its successor oblivion. If you are into a good story, and a world filled with intriguing lore then this is the game for you. This is perhaps the only game where you pickup a book and you can actually read it, and not only can you but you want to because it further immerses you in the world. Add the huge user content community and you have hands down the best RPG to ever grace the pc. Expand
  72. Jun 10, 2011
    this is the best game I've ever played. I guess modern gamers don't like it because the combat system is bad, also they want lots of action and don't want to wait very long in order to get a character that cannot miss enemies. for me the story is interesting and rich. the feeling and the adventure are best parts of this game.

you should find help in the unofficial elder scrolls pages

you should find help in the unofficial elder scrolls pages website if you need help with this game
  73. Nov 10, 2011
    Morrowind has a couple of features that make it stand out above any other RPG I have played. First the story is intertwined with history as set out in books and quests and is just like reading human history. There are different accounts, different opinions, ambiguous reports. The picture you build up is incomplete and often makes you revise your judgements about which historical charactersMorrowind has a couple of features that make it stand out above any other RPG I have played. First the story is intertwined with history as set out in books and quests and is just like reading human history. There are different accounts, different opinions, ambiguous reports. The picture you build up is incomplete and often makes you revise your judgements about which historical characters are good and which are evil. Eventually you realize that just as in real life, there is often no clear boundary. Second, the game world is so convincing and lifelike, it draws you in until you feel like you have actually been there and witnessed the events. All RPGs try to do this but Morrowind (and Oblivion) do it better because the physics is better. Most games impose limits on what a character can do e.g. there is an object, therefore you cannot go there. In Morrowind, you can move anything if it is light enough and not fastened, jump on anything if your jumping skill is good enough, climb any terrain if your you have the capability. You have to try this. It is very realistic, and fun. Expand
  74. Oct 26, 2011
    Absolutely amazing game after all these years. The depth of the game and lore are astounding. The open world holds hundreds of hours worth of entertainment and even more can be added with the mods from the still-active community. This is the sandbox game that all other open world rpgs should aspire to be.
  75. Apr 25, 2012
    I loved this game. As older game in modern gaming society, it seems really tedious and boring. But as a more classic RPG, this game is the best. What I like most about it is not so much the combat, but the imagination, history, and freedom put into it. Plus when you've played it a million-something times (like i have) you can just download a mod/ quest pack, and the game becomes new again!I loved this game. As older game in modern gaming society, it seems really tedious and boring. But as a more classic RPG, this game is the best. What I like most about it is not so much the combat, but the imagination, history, and freedom put into it. Plus when you've played it a million-something times (like i have) you can just download a mod/ quest pack, and the game becomes new again! Personally, i rate all other RPG's against this game. Expand
  76. May 4, 2012
    I signed up just to post a review after seeing the complaints of some people, Morrowind's charm is not the same charm oblivion, or skyrim has exactly, the combat is indeed flawed, though normal for the time, people are comparing a 2001 game with 2011 Skyrim. But the real strength of Morrowind is the world, I truly believe the devs went balance be damned, lets make a world.

From the very

From the very start you can find very powerful items just by chance, or you can go though the entire town and rob everything in sight, turn around and buy gear. In Oblivion rare items were tied to your level so not to be unbalancing, and everything had a "Reasonable price" but in morrowind if you are smart enough, and quick enough, while exploring a random cave, find a very powerful artifact, worth more then every merchant in the game owns. Balanced? Probably not, but that sort of incentive to explore every cave, collect every artifact, makes this game truly a gem. In the two following games, the reason to explore is just simply gone, As artifacts are really not worth the effort made to obtain them, Nor are they hidden away.
  77. May 15, 2012
    My first 10, really one of the best games Ive played. Was disappointed with Oblivion and Skyrim, but they had tough shoes to fill...
    My only complaint is the **** cliff racers!
  78. Jun 11, 2012
    The most in-depth customary system I've ever seen. Not only do you get to choose exactly what kind of character you want to be, you can also customize what you wear and what your weapon does. The best Elder Scrolls game of all time, and also my very favorite game. No matter how much I play it, I always find new things to do. There are hilarious, dramatic, and OMGWHUTDOIDO moments thatThe most in-depth customary system I've ever seen. Not only do you get to choose exactly what kind of character you want to be, you can also customize what you wear and what your weapon does. The best Elder Scrolls game of all time, and also my very favorite game. No matter how much I play it, I always find new things to do. There are hilarious, dramatic, and OMGWHUTDOIDO moments that always shake it up, no matter what kind of character you are. Expand
  79. Jul 16, 2012
    It really is a great game, though if you prefer more action than a great story try Skyrim. If you think the combat is too hard just turn down the difficulty. I think anyone should try and get past a few bugs and some low quality graphics.
  80. Feb 24, 2011
    (9)
    Great game. I have played Morrowind hundreds of hours and I haven't bored yet.. Vast world is very captivating but I have to give Morrowind 9/10 because of the numerous glitches and several crashes.
  81. Sep 20, 2011
    Morrowind is such a strange, backwards experience. Most games start out flashy, and then after a while you realize how boring it really is. Morrowind is sort of the opposite. You start in the ugliest, dingiest town in the game, and it builds its way up from there. You don't really know what you're supposed to be doing when you start out--the main quest isn't even really revealed tilMorrowind is such a strange, backwards experience. Most games start out flashy, and then after a while you realize how boring it really is. Morrowind is sort of the opposite. You start in the ugliest, dingiest town in the game, and it builds its way up from there. You don't really know what you're supposed to be doing when you start out--the main quest isn't even really revealed til later--so the game motivates you to try different things and go exploring. But boy when that main quest line starts revealing itself, it is one epic tale, and it would have made as great a novel as it does a game. The sheer attention to detail in this is mind-blowing. Every area of the game feels hand-crafted, with hidden areas to explore; items, weapons and armor to collect; all sorts of enemies to test your power against; a story full of religion, politics, and conflict; and an extremely complex and rich society. It doesn't hurt that you can explore every region of the map at any point (you just might not live through the encounters you face) and uncover some very strange and exotic locales. And on that note, it's hard to have strong diversity in a game and still keep it feeling like a uniform and unique region all on its own. Once again this game succeeds, with desolation, swamp, coastline, open pastures and the like. The only criticism I have for this game is the combat. I personally do not mind the by-the-numbers real-time combat, where a low skill means you might miss, but I think transitions between melee/ranged and magic could have been better. I also would have appreciated a reason not to simply click the "best attack" button on options, and in this respect I think Daggerfall had better combat. Overall however, Morrowind is classic. Anybody who has the patience for reading a great novel would love this game, as it winds up being a game of epic proportions. Expand
  82. BrendanT.
    Jul 2, 2003
    Im nowhere near done the game but from what I have played, It kills all other Pc Games(that I have)
  83. AlistairD.
    Jun 9, 2005
    best game EVER. Only problem is my computer isn't quite up to full specs needed. Will have to buy new computer before oblivion comes out.
  84. May 29, 2012
    I can, honestly, say there is only one bad thing about this game, and at this point it is easily overlooked due to a couple mods that can fix this. In all reality it is my second favorite game of all time.

If you like oldschool rpgs, a very large world, tons of things to do, all quest lines give you only moderate direction of where to go forcing you to have to hunt, and an overall challenge, then pick this up.

While it is true the hit and miss system is a pain there are so many easy ways around this if you know how, if not look it up. Here is a hint, "master trainers."

The only thing I can say about this game, and its the reason I must give it a 9 out of 10 instead of a perfect score, is that on release the graphics were not even close to dos related 3d graphics. The whole character models look terrible even by standards set 6 to 10 years before the game came out. This alone is the reason it got knocked down one point.

Again the only issue can be resolved by mods at this point in time, the better bodies mod, better heads (discontinued but still able to be found) and morrowind enhanced (type mods) actually can make this game look graphically appealing and honestly, lets just say this, I have wasted so much time on this game and I still have not completed everything there is to do, I always find something new and I have played for ages.

The modding community is, quite possibly, larger than oblivion and skyrim combined but this is to be expected. It is now 20 dollars on steam but I can say it is worth a lot more.

Just be careful, if you like to be hand fed everything, please go play a bad game now and don't waste your time trying to rate this poorly or play this game, you wont look intelligent.

Overall playtime for real gamers is expected to be around 1260 hours, give or take.
  85. Oct 8, 2011
    Morrowind is one of best open world RPGs, maybe skyrim will be better but I do not know right now. As usual for a elder scroll title, the main story line is non-existence. But this game does give you extensive choices to customize your character. your character may pursue every skill in the game regardless of class and can learn a large number of spells and may even design his/her own. youMorrowind is one of best open world RPGs, maybe skyrim will be better but I do not know right now. As usual for a elder scroll title, the main story line is non-existence. But this game does give you extensive choices to customize your character. your character may pursue every skill in the game regardless of class and can learn a large number of spells and may even design his/her own. you may play your character as a good or evil character depending on your choices. The exploration in this game has lots of rewards. you most likely will find some unique items after some very tough situations. The faction setting in this game is fun too, you can establish relations with them to get benefits. Expand
  86. Nov 22, 2011
    Damn this game!! This was my original video game heroin. Before I played this game I only played video games very rarely, like during a long vacation. But this game gave me a glimpse of what a video game can be when it's at it's best. Ever since I seem to always be on a search to find games that allow me to sink into the world within the game so deeply. There's only be a few games since IDamn this game!! This was my original video game heroin. Before I played this game I only played video games very rarely, like during a long vacation. But this game gave me a glimpse of what a video game can be when it's at it's best. Ever since I seem to always be on a search to find games that allow me to sink into the world within the game so deeply. There's only be a few games since I played this one a few years back that have captured me so fully. Deus Ex, Gothic 1&2, Mass Effect 1&2 are probably the only other games I've played that would be anywhere near as good as this one. And yes, I like Morrowind a lot more than Oblivion. Oblivion was good, maybe even deserving of a 10 rating also, but the story in this one is much more interesting, and my desire to explore the nooks and crannies of the universe were much greater in this game. I don't know how many hours I spent on this game, but I do remember taking a day or two off from work just so that I could play this game. There's never been another game that has made me quite so lazy. Damn this game! Expand
  87. May 17, 2011
    A true classic of legendary proportions. Brilliant game made even better by tons of modding community support.

A much loved classic which always brings back good memories of actually having something fun to do on Sundays. *and just about every other chance I got.
  88. Dec 28, 2014
    Easily the best open world RPG ever made. The scenery was memorable. The lore was interesting. And the gameplay options were immense. Its boundless flexibility let you play the game the way YOU wanted to play and does not force you to play in a linear fashion. It was bundles of fun to enchant armor and weapons and alchemy was useful as was spellmaking which added a new dimension to theEasily the best open world RPG ever made. The scenery was memorable. The lore was interesting. And the gameplay options were immense. Its boundless flexibility let you play the game the way YOU wanted to play and does not force you to play in a linear fashion. It was bundles of fun to enchant armor and weapons and alchemy was useful as was spellmaking which added a new dimension to the game that no other game to date has come close to matching, not even subsequent Elder Scrolls games. I still remember floating around with levitate or laughing in my 100% invisibility suit. Yea they were game breaking but in a game like this, it really did not matter since the game was not 100% about combat. It was just plain fun to do and once you do, you store the suit away and try something else for fun. No game has ever held my attention as long except maybe X3.

Despite being my all time favorite game, it still had flaws that persist even in Oblivion and Skyrim.

#1 - Combat was boring. Even though making spells is fun, normal combat is dull and enemies were way too easy to beat in part because they are just weak inherently and because the AI was bad. Some improvements were made in Skyrim but combat in ES games is still a weak point and needs to be addressed.

#2 - There is no economy balance. I remember the great promise in Oblivion of a living, breathing world with NPC's doing jobs and participating in the world. It never happened. Turned out they were just scripted and the economy and world were still static. Morrowind was the same. by mid game, you pretty could own the entire island. Wealth is too easy to find which makes things somewhat dull since it does not feel earned.

#3 - Lore was very strong in Morrowind but ironically, the story was somewhat meh. I wish there was a little more flare to the end game with harder enemies and a much grander finale but as it turns out, combat was simply trivial even if you did not exploit the game in any way. The enemies were just too weak and defeating the final boss was a trivial matter. Even the god Vivec was lame and could be defeated at level 1 with a bow and tons of arrows. I suppose this is just an extension of #1 above in some ways but I really wish that fighting was more epic. At least equip these bosses with game breaking items akin to what the player can make.

Its a fantastic game, possibly the best RPG ever made, and with texture upgrades it still looks great today but it is still not a perfect game. Hopefully they will read this before they make the next game as the series keeps devolving. The ES games are still great and I liked Skyrim but it is not in the same league as Morrowind. Its too dumbed down in comparison and not nearly as much fun to play.
  89. Oct 2, 2010
    This game is one of the best games of all time in my personal list. I still play it every now and then out of pure nostalgia. I can't even begin to imagine how many hours I've poured into this!
  90. Jul 6, 2012
    This is one of my top 10 games that I have played. It is one of those games that defines what you look for in other games and often makes you feel something is lacking until you go back to it.
  91. Nov 28, 2011
    This is still the best elder scrolls game, even after skyrim, how can I word this any other way? I cant put this game into words, thats how cool it is. PS : This game does not have COD AIDS (cod aids is an infection in the video game industry that makes the entire game about shooting anything that moves and ducking behind explosive barrels to magically heal, IN OTHER WORDS, ITS NOT AThis is still the best elder scrolls game, even after skyrim, how can I word this any other way? I cant put this game into words, thats how cool it is. PS : This game does not have COD AIDS (cod aids is an infection in the video game industry that makes the entire game about shooting anything that moves and ducking behind explosive barrels to magically heal, IN OTHER WORDS, ITS NOT A MAINSTREAM FPS, ALL THE PEOPLE VOTING THIS DOWN WANT A MAINSTREAM FPS) Expand
  92. Jun 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just do not understand those people who do not like the Elder Scrolls series and the third part of this magnificent epic Morrowind in particular.Ð Expand
  93. KrisM.
    Feb 24, 2007
    Morrowind is an amazing game that you can play for 10 minutes or for 10 hours. The only problem I felt was the fighting. The swordplay was a bit boring. Another is the sense of overwhelming you get when playing this. For someone indecisive like me, it's very hard to choose what to do. But overall, it's an amazing game.
  94. Dec 27, 2011
    Morrowind is probably the best RPG I've ever played. It's truly free-roaming with almost no bounds. The game play is addicting. The drawback is the ridiculous amount of walking around, trying to reach places without fast-travel. Plus many of the towns and regions are pointless or repetitive, limiting the seemingly free-roam feel.
  95. Mar 1, 2012
    Hands down, the best open-world RPG to date. A huge world with many hidden secrets to explore. The side quests can keep you entertained for hours, and there are several factions that you can join and rise through the ranks. You have absolute freedom in building your character and progressing through the game. It's possible to put in hundreds of hours of gameplay without even touching theHands down, the best open-world RPG to date. A huge world with many hidden secrets to explore. The side quests can keep you entertained for hours, and there are several factions that you can join and rise through the ranks. You have absolute freedom in building your character and progressing through the game. It's possible to put in hundreds of hours of gameplay without even touching the main quest line. There are mods that make the game even better. Definitely superior to Oblivion; can't say anything about Skyrim, as I haven't played it yet. Expand
  96. Oct 6, 2012
    It's my favorite game of all time, despite its drawbacks. Open, diverse and climatic world, full of mysterious places wants to be discovered. Also the music is awesome.
  97. Aug 31, 2012
    Prior to purchasing Elderscrolls III: Morrowind, Elderscrolls II: Daggerfall had been my favourite game of all time. Although the graphics in Morrowind were much better than Daggerfall (Morrowind was released 6 years after Daggerfall) the game's dungeons and world seemed small in comparison with Daggerfall. Also, the game seemed to be tuned to be too easy. It was really hard to be killedPrior to purchasing Elderscrolls III: Morrowind, Elderscrolls II: Daggerfall had been my favourite game of all time. Although the graphics in Morrowind were much better than Daggerfall (Morrowind was released 6 years after Daggerfall) the game's dungeons and world seemed small in comparison with Daggerfall. Also, the game seemed to be tuned to be too easy. It was really hard to be killed in this game. The character creation was not completely open, unlike Daggerfall you could not create your own custom class with specs and abilities. This game was released on console too if I remember right so it probably had to be smaller to fit the console system. But overall this was a good game. I also don't remember encountering any bugs in this game which was a good improvement over Daggerfall (the buggiest game I've ever played).

Elderscrolls III: Morrowind was a good game, it's only real failing was to be small in comparison to its predecessor, Elderscrolls II: Daggerfall. I will give it a 9/10.
  98. Mar 29, 2013
    THE FIRST GAME of mine and one of the best with tons and tons of content where you can get lost. Moja prvá hra a jedna z najlepších. Hodiny a hodiny zábavy, v ktorej sa môžete stratiť.
  99. Aug 29, 2011
    A fabulous, unique, imaginative and very immersive world to explore which will intrigue you all the way. Concern yourself with the politics of the gods or find a peasant's lost trinket, or maybe just do a million things in between, the scope of this game is staggering. The architecture, the landscape, the inhabitants, it's all believable. So believable that armour made out of glass seemsA fabulous, unique, imaginative and very immersive world to explore which will intrigue you all the way. Concern yourself with the politics of the gods or find a peasant's lost trinket, or maybe just do a million things in between, the scope of this game is staggering. The architecture, the landscape, the inhabitants, it's all believable. So believable that armour made out of glass seems completely natural as does travelling about on the back of a giant flea type creature. Far far better than Oblivion and the only thing preventing a '10' is the end game which I felt was hugely anticlimactic ,and a final boss whose appearance reminded me of a humorous children's tv character from long ago. Also, high level characters tend to turn out very similar to each other no matter how you started them. But enough criticism - A groundbreaking game in many ways and still worthy of anyone's time even now. Surely you've tried this game at least once already? Expand
  100. MindaugasT.
    Jul 8, 2004
    BEST GAME!!!

1. One of those games that just visually takes your breath away. It has some of the most detailed, and well realistically rendered environments and characters ever seen in a computer game.
  2. The Elder Scrolls tech support forum is overflowing with user complaints about compatibility issues. At any rate, this is still the biggest, deepest, most detailed RPG to hit the PC since Daggerfall, and for that, earns high marks.
  3. This is a game that can stay on your hard drive for six months, still offering new experiences.