8.0

1. Mar 9, 2011
    Oblivion is a great introduction into the Elder Scrolls. I loved it so much when I first played it. However, after you play Morrowind you realize how much potential Oblivion threw away. Oblivion is an example of the terrible direction the game industry is starting to go into: Games that are worth buying, and are extremely great in the beginning, but lack the long term value that is very key to have to prevent boredom in the future again. When you finish up all the quests (Which are a lot, but still has significantly less compared to Morrowind) there is no point to play anymore. The dungeons feel prefabricated just like Daggerfall and there is nothing really "new" to explore. The vast majority of them are just filled with common monsters and loot that becomes worthless after you get the best armor and weapons (Which can be gotten fairly easily at higher levels). Oblivion is worth the money, but in the long run is no where near as RPG satisfying Morrowind was. That is what we play RPGs for, the satisfaction of completing quests or completing leveling goals or finding special items. Oblivion denies that ability of satisfaction way too early compared to its predecessors. If you are reading these reviews though you are probably considering buying it. In a simple answer, of course. Well worth the money it costs now. Expand
  2. May 1, 2011
    Honestly, I don't understand most of the negative criticism for this game. A HUGE improvement on TES3: Morrowind in terms of combat and atmosphere. Combat is much more engaging, as it should be for this style of game. Quests are entertaining and tough enemies are very challenging (until you are extremely high level). Coupled with a do-anything-you-want style world, this game will entertain for hours. My only complaint is that it ended so soon. The world is much smaller than its predecessor, Morrowind. Players of that game will find the world somewhat confining, and you definitely won't get the 500+ hours of gameplay like you did in that title. An awesome game, though. Can't wait for TES V! Expand
  3. Apr 26, 2011
    I can't really give it anything less after putting 100+ hours into it and enjoying every minute of it. of course it does have some flaws including repetitive dungeons, not rewarding exploration enough, bad levelling system and game play bugs. overall it is a fantastic game.
  4. Mar 13, 2011
    You will love or hate this game and one factor will determine which of the 2 it will be and that is if you mind a game lacking structure and be exceptionally open ended if you want a strong coherent story that is in any way linear this is not your game. However if you do not mind going so far as to even completely abandon even the main quest line for a while this is your game you can spend hours hot accepting one quest just mindlessly wasting time killing thing and exploring dungeons if you do not mind a game being a complete time sink. the simple ability to be absolutely any class and just do whatever the hell you want is where this game shines. Expand
  5. Aug 15, 2010
    This game is not the best game of all time. In fact, it probably isn't in the top 20. For some reason, even though the game is filled with bugs and terrible design, people just overlook all its problems because the side quests are fun. I would like to list some of the major problems with the game that make it a 6 instead of a 9 or 10.

1. The main story. This should have been the best part
    of the game, and it should have been long and involving. It wasn't. All the story missions felt exactly the same as any side quest, but sometimes involving an Oblivion gate. It was boring and very disappointing, especially for an RPG.

2. The entire engine. Moving feels like your gliding above the ground, and when you're in the air it feels like you're above the surface of the moon moving yourself with a fan. Picking something up off a table causes all the other objects on it to jump, And when and the ragdoll physics make creatures and people look like broken piñatas.

3. The animations. When you hit something a 20 pound metal rod, you expect it to feel powerful. The animations make you feel like you're swinging a piece of hollow plastic. Facial expressions unfortunately fall right into the bottom of the uncanny valley, and one of the worst problems, Bethesda was too lazy to put in animations for running diagonally. People also just disappear when entering buildings.

4. The voice acting. The worst problem here is that there are, according to the Credits.txt file that came with the game, 9 voice actors, not including the unique characters. For a game where every single character can be interacted with, only having 9 voice actors is a massive issue. Not to mention that some characters, especially beggars, switch accents mid-dialogue. They greet you the same drawl as all the other beggars, then after you choose an option, they start talking with the same voice as the guards, and then back again during their next line. Another problem is that every single infinitely-spawning guard has the same voice actor. If they just had one other voice, it would have made a huge difference, but there's only one. Most of the dialogue is terribly generic, too.

There are very many other problems, such as the uninspired music, the ludicrous frequency of load screens, and the copy-pasted caves and dungeons, but I'll stop here.

Imagine if any other game had all these problems. It definitely wouldn't get reviews like this. If Mass Effect 3 came out with only 9 voice actors, a short and boring main story, no diagonal running animations, loading screens at every door, floaty controls, and planets like Mass Effect 1, I'm sure users would give it something like a 6. But because Oblivion as so much hype behind it, people automatically give it 10s. Now I still like the game. I've spent about 150 hours on it, but it really isn't as good as people think, and it is definitely not even close to perfect.
  6. Apr 21, 2011
    The awful level-up system and vast number of unfixed bugs prevent me from giving this game a perfect score. Don't let that dissuade you, though - it's a fantastic game which provided me with over 100 hours of gameplay before I became even remotely bored.
  7. May 7, 2011
    One of the best. To complains of bugs, yes they exist, but I've not seen a game with such scale and detail do better. If players want to complain that something doesn't work perfectly, maybe they should get up and make that perfect game themselves instead of just complaining. The backstory and freedom is great. I've never done much of the main quest, since there is so much to do all around the world. Maybe BioWare games have better story and dialog, but at least the Elder Scrolls games let you do things beside shacking up with every living creature in the world. BioWare does movies and cyber-intimacy. BethSoft does freedom and adventuring with a character that you make up. Instead of following the story they write up for players on who the main character is, the Elder Scrolls actually lets players make their own character, backstory, and morals. True role-playing gaming. Expand
  8. Apr 26, 2011
    Best game ever. I am still playing it. It has bugs, but because it's great mod-ability, mods have fixed all of them. I played hundreds of hours without mods and patches, and I've played hundreds of hours with mods and patches. I have loved every moment.
  9. Sep 28, 2010
    Unique.It opened a new rpg era.Precursor of Fallout 3 and The Precursors.Huge.Masive game play options.Free world.You can do whatever you like.Huge array of items.Many NPC's.To short main story.But Brilliant.There's much..much more to say but i have to write down about 70 pages to finish it.Wonderfull.10+
  10. Apr 10, 2011
    Peanut butter by itself is delicious, but when you combine it with stuff like nutella, it becomes amazing. So it is with Oblivion and its mods. Oblivion is currently 5 years old and has TWENTY TWO THOUSAND mods on tesnexus alone. Literally anything you want oblivion to be, it can be. It is a great game, but can become bland by itself, but not until you've run through the main quest and become the head of all the guilds, but the real allure is the open ended gameplay and the mods.

I recommend playing the vanilla game first, ie unmodded, and then adding in tweaks. You'll go from a great game to a new world as you add new elements to get deeper into the game. I have been coming back to this game for 5 years and I will only stop playing for the same reason I stopped playing its predecessor, Morrowind, because the next iteration has come out and its mods are even better!

Bethesda is a hell of a game company and their RPG's are bar none the best RPG's ever made due to the fact that you can make the game whatever you want it to be. Don't buy it on console, you'd be cheating yourself, come to the dark side of modding and you will never look back.

The only downside to Oblivion is that its not quite as vivid as Morrowind was as it was made a tad more mainstream and simplified to release as one of the first 360 games, but on PC you won't have that issue.

Disclaimer- I am not responsible for your becoming a TES addict.
  11. Nov 11, 2011
    This game's level-scaling system is ruining everything... There no point in doing anything to raise your level because as you level up, creatures also level up with you simultaneously with all the benefits it brings (even the rats). And the funny part is you can finish the game easier at level 1. There is also an item problem where you fight your way and clean all the badass dungeons to the last level only to find a rusty sword... The game doesn't reward you for anything. Total **** Expand
  12. May 12, 2011
    Pretty good. Not so great at first but when modded with own taste. Then the game is awesome. The world is so big.. dungeons get a bit repetitive. And better put some own music choices in folders. Buth with games original merits.. It's good, clearly above average, though leveling system is too fast and kinda sucks. But when you ride with a horse trough the fields at early morning none of that really matters. It's heavenly. And then bear attacks your horse, you must dismount the horse and you throw a fireball at it and slash it with sword ten times and run and go back continue your attack finally defeating it. Then you start to think where is my horse and why do I use it. I can run faster but if I do, my furry armors will perish in the wind, cos that's how fast everything wears out. Then you search inventory for repair hammers and you'll find two of them. they both break when you are just repairing your shoes. then a deer comes to your attention, drawing your trusty long bow you aim carefully and release the arrow.. and watch it fly like a old wooden bucket. never hitting the deer. then the game crashes.
    Truly it's not perfect.
  13. Mar 17, 2011
    Oblivion is the greatest game I have ever played. The graphics increase the standards for all future games. It will be a long time till any game beats this and that game will probably be Elder Scrolls V.
  14. Jun 30, 2011
    This is the BEST game I have ever played. I bought it when it first came out however long ago and I have probably played completely through it 15 times? All with totally different characters with completely different strategy. The level of depth its incredible, a depth only matched by Morrowind, the previous entry into the Elder scrolls. This cannot be beat. "mediocre graphics?" yea my ass, the graphics are awesome even now, its still a game that I can play and not have to gripe about the graphics. If your that spoiled that this game looks bad, go watch a movie, if you want to basically play your own movie with some pretty awesome graphics, game play, quest line, re playability etc than play this game. The Add ons are pretty sweet too I have them all (I would get the deluxe edition if I were buying it). IF you dont mind graphics, play morrowind too! Its SO deep intense, and the same good things just with bad graphics. So look at the good reviews, compare to the bad ones (in number and info) and realize they are cry babies. They have their "perfect games" most of them are probably something linear and stale like crysis and cant handle the freedom of an open ended RPG. Expand
  15. Oct 8, 2011
    Still do not understand why this game is so well received. It may be good for newcomers of this series, but it is neither as massive as daggerfall nor as fun as morrowind. The setting in this game is painfully average. The leveling system is broken unless you use mods to fix it. Quests are quite repetitive and there is not much story associated with those quests, so you end up with doing the same things over and over again. The setting for the factions in this game is just terrible comparing to morrowind. In morriwind, you can establish social relations with different factions, and you can be smooth and slick with them to achieve a lot of benefits which is tons of fun. The factions in oblivion are just like a bunch of quest generating machines to extend the game time. Overall it's a good entry to elder scroll series but probably the worst elder scroll game. Expand
  16. Jun 11, 2011
    You cannot compare this to fallout, because its nothing like it. This game is absolutely amazing, and will go down in history because 5 years on, it still looks beautiful. The open world it delivers is massive and full, wherever you go there is something, which shows how refined the game is and how much effort was put in, the graphics are amazing for the time and the storyline keeps you captivated. I like how the story takes you all over the world, which makes the RPG even bigger because of movement, and in between walking you stumble across more and more caves or ruins and you HAVE to explore them, it side tracks you so much, you find yourself nowhere near where you wanted and another 5 hours of game play in the bag. There are obviously flaws, i will get onto them later. The AI are one of the best AI in a video game and they respond completely to your presence. I like the character designs too, there has been so much thought put into everything, the amount of things you can be..it makes your character different to your friends, and not many games can deliver that. The sound is absolutely amazing off memory, the music when you are battling through the wilderness is perfect, creating a brilliant mood that you can delve, making you believe you are in the game. The flaws, like i said earlier, is that there isnt many battles with more than one creature, imagine the game with epic battles with more than 20 enemies at once? it would be superb, the greatest...but I think thats down to FPS, the game would not run with masses of enemies attacking at once. It isnt a massive problem, but its something i wouldnt mind in it, because the game is still amazing without it, and its such a minor problem when you look over the entire game. Everything has a unique design which makes you believe you are there. Summing up the game, it is a definite buy, if you dont enjoy this game at all, not even for sound/graphics then you are a fool, this is an amazing game which definitely by-passes Morrowind and shows that the developers (Bethesda) are constantly evolving for the better, one of the greatest games ever. Undoubtedly 10/10. - FlubbaJubba Expand
  17. Apr 16, 2011
    This is one of those games that seem great at first. But the more you play it, the less you like it. Once the flash wears away, you start to realize that at it's core the game is broken. Without an engaging story and good gameplay mechanics there can be no lasting appeal for me.
  18. May 15, 2011
    250 hours. That is how long I have spent in the world of oblivion. And I don't want a single nanosecond back.

I have one and one only criticism: The characters are awful, awful, awful and the voice acting is dreaful.
  19. May 15, 2011
    This game stole what little life I already had. It's incredibly fun. Randomly exploring caves and ruins never gets boring, though I do admit, I had to start using console commands to close down Oblivion Gates because I just couldn't take doing the same map I had already done a million times before. Another small complaint I have and that I've heard a lot of is that Oblivion doesn't capture Morrowind's atmosphere. I haven't played Morrowind much yet, but after playing hours upon hours of Oblivion and stepping of the boat in the very beginning to see a massive insect that, come to find out, was used for transportation made the game feel very alien. Oblivion's atmosphere is indeed more of a generic sort of feel, but there are definitely improvements over a few problems I noticed with Morrowind despite how little I played of it. First of all, combat feels much more smooth, and when you hit an enemy, you actually hit them, rather than using stats to determine your hit chance. In addition, the combat just feels smoother, with the ability to block at will rather than using the block skill to determine the chance of blocking. My biggest Morrowind annoyance is how slowly you moved at the beginning of the game. Being a rather impatient person, that gets kind of old. Oblivion definitely fixed this problem. A change from Morrowind that I think is for the worse is the horrible leveling system. Enemies level up with you, and subsequently, so does their loot. It tends to ruin the realism quite a bit (how do so many bandits find full sets of Daedric armor?) and generally makes the game get harder as you level up, unless you micromanage your skill growth to obtain the maximum boost from each level, which is incredibly annoying and just plain tiresome. On the good side of the game, the world is massive. There are hundreds of locations to discover, many of which have a quest assigned to them. There are also quite a lot of joinable factions. Not as many as Morrowind, I've heard, but still a good amount, ranging from the magic oriented Mages Guild, to the combat oriented Fighters Guild, and the stealth oriented Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. Each offers a very different experience and all are worth joining, even if you don't really focus on that particular stat (heck, I was a thief and I still became one of the top ranking members of the Mage's Guild). Spell casting tends to be a bit on the weak side when it comes to buffs, many lasting as little as 10 seconds before needing to be recast and the spell making is more limited that many would like it to be. The spell animations tend to be a bit bland after a while, using the same effects for each spell for the most part (for example, a strong fire spell will look the exact same as a weak fire spell. At least prior to impact). I personally do not like the music in Oblivion, though the songs can easily be changed by replacing the files in your music folder. The main story quest is fairly interesting, though I find it hard to play more than once. Even if you don't enjoy the story, the lore still provides an interesting feel to the world you Overall, Oblivion is a huge game with a very nice combat system, a huge world for you to explore, many NPCs to populate it. Finally, though I'm not counting this towards the score of my review, it is definitely worth mentioning that there are a HUGE number of modifications available for Oblivion, improving upon many problems I've mentioned here (like the shoddy magic system and broken leveling) as well as a few I didn't. There are many to improve performance and stability of your game if your computer can't handle the graphics, while others add in various content (homes, weapons, armor, the things you might expect). As a last word. whether or not you use a few mods or a lot of mods or just avoid mods altogether, Oblivion is definitely a game you should pick up regardless of what console you want it for (though if you want mods, the PC is the best console to go with). Expand
  20. May 31, 2011
    perhaps 1 of the best series of games out there, excellent idea and masters non-linear gaming. although a number of glitches haunt this game; a modding community still very much alive and active today has pretty much rectified any problems remaining. the elder scrolls created not only a game but a legacy and probably has a lore behind it that rivals star trek :) - just search oblivion in google and youll see wat i mean. althought made in 2006, ign said that it took 2 2008 4 another game 2 top it - fallout 3. Note: made by same company oblivion is not a game it is a world therefore rated 2 the max Expand
  21. Jun 1, 2011
    i think this is one of the best RPG games i ever played. U can be almost what u want...Assassin, mage or warrior...The quest are good, but the main quest is a little bit ....how can i say...not the best.
  22. Jun 17, 2011
    This is more than a game, this is the future of man kind. I am bringing you my second review on one of my favorite games of all time, OBLIVION. This game came out a while back but it is still enjoyable as any game that has came out recently. If you have played an elder scrolls game you will know what i mean. The characters have good story lines and the whole game is packed with side quests which will give you the equipment to finish the main story easier. You start off in a prison, you don't know anything, but you quickly find out a thew things
    * That dark elf in the other jail is a douche
    * That the emperors son's are getting killed
    * You are the one who must close the jaws of oblivion

When you have finished the tutorial you will be placed in the world. You will have to guide your own path through the game, i have played through an assassin and a thief and they have total different game play which makes the replay ability of the game outstanding. I can't wait for skyrim as it should take care of the things oblivion had like poor graphics, the weird voice acting of the normal npc's and the zooming into the faces. The modding community is vast, as there are mods that add magic in the game, or total conversions which in turn, make the game more re playable. BUY THIS GAME, RIGHT NOW!
  23. Oct 13, 2011
    First, I felt Bethesda improved greatly on the flow of the game. In Morrowind the combat was boring and for a long time (until you leveled your weapon skills) you would miss about 75% of attacks. Oblivion has the Dual combat system to where you can cast spells and melee with out pressing a button to switch between modes. Dialog is this game isn't the best but if you get past the similar voice acting, bethesda gives characters interresting and unique phrases and comments. With a 16 sq Mile map, Hundreds upon Hundreds of side quests, a Fun and intence storyline, Great DLC, Huge cities, Beautiful Environments, Diverse and Rewarding Areas ( Dungeons, caves, Keeps, Ruins, and Oblivion gates), and Tons of fun activities to do (arena, Make spells, enchant, and make potions). This game has everything a RPG play wants. Oblivion dishes out hundreds of hours of gameplay and Is one of those games you play when you're bored of everything else. THIS GAME IS Probably if not the best RPG out there. And yes i have played Morrowind ( lots of time on it ) and dozen of other RPGs and MMOs This the best your going to find out there. btw Looking forward to Skyrim ( hope its not a disappointment like Fallout New Vegas was(Fallout 3 is sooooooo much better)). Expand
  24. Sep 9, 2011
    Oblivion is an open world RPG that is great in immersing the player in a fantasy world. The games great elements is allowing a player to build a character the way they want, rather then the way the developers want. The environment is beautiful. There are a few drawbacks. Combat is simplistic, some of the animations (such as jumping) are horrid looking and the ragdoll effects do tend to somewhat break the immersion sometimes.

However, its in depth storyline and lore can only be competed with by its predecessor, Morrowind. Although possibly accurate in calling it a dumbed down version, Oblivion still carries a lot of elements that many other RPG titles miss.
  25. Nov 23, 2011
    I am serious gamer, and for me to have spent 7200+ hours on one game, it must mean that this game is completely perfect. The voice acting is spot on, with all 12 voice actors for the entire game performing perfectly. The animations like combat, speaking and running are all so lifleike, it felt like i was actually in the world of Cyrodill. I recommend this game for casual gamers, serious gamers, posers, people posing to be a poser, kids and beginners, 10/10 Expand
  26. Jul 31, 2011
    Even though this game has a few flaws it is still great. First of all this game is huge and while maybe the world is not varied enough it is still lots of fun to explore. For a game this big the graphics are great for it's time, the game is also a true RPG in the sense that it allows one to do what one wants when one wants, be who you want to be and play how you want to play and has great customization for ones character be it your race, how you look, or what weapons, spells and armour you want to use. The game is also extremely long and has countless side quests for one to partake in and in my opinion holds more of the fun to be had than the actual main story. As said before the game has a few flaws namely the third person view is terrible and basically unplayable, there are quite a few glitches in the game making some quests incompletable (although one cant expect a game of this size to have no glitches what so ever ), the story was not bad but just was not that engaging, the npc's lack emotion and the voice acting is not varied enough and lastly one VERY BIG flaw that ruined a lot of the experience was the leveling system which basically says "screw you, you will never become stronger but will become WEAKER as you level up and progress or should i say DEgress through the game " this flaw most definitely must be fixed for Skyrim. pros : Very long, lots to do, true RPG elements, great game play, great graphics. Cons: Bad leveling system, unengaging story, bad glitches. Overall for it's time it is still an awesome game despite it's flaws. 8.8/10 Expand
  27. Aug 30, 2011
    I couldn't give any reason to not like this. From start your character can be created to suit your play style. ANY play style. Weather you want to be a sword swinging mage or a lightning launching thief, The Elder Scrolls IV will drag you in for hours upon hours of game play. A large, vast explorable world lies ahead for your to engage in with perilous caves, deadly towers, and sinister gateways into the planes of Oblivion. Expand
  28. Jul 2, 2011
    Where to begin, Oblivion is one of the best games ever created. The joy of exploring a huge open fantasy world is just delicious indeed. Plus Oblivion is very accessible for all you "dumbed-down" types. Be sure to download the essential mods (50+ of those, 4 being my mods, hehe) to create the most awesome open-world RPG ever. Another must play. Don't talk to me about RPGs until you play this.
  29. May 17, 2011
    This was the game that made me finally drop my xbox and buy a decent pc some years ago. I have been modding and enjoying Oblivion ever since and still manage to add fresh new content. This was the ultimate world builder and gaming experience. Since then its costs me thousands in constantly buying and upgrading my PC but if I consider the entertainment I have had out of it and the hours of fun I have had in Cyrodil. Its been money well spent. Expand
  30. Sep 30, 2011
    I can really do without a game telling me on screen that I've reached the entrance to a cave when I'm stood 1 foot away from said entrance. A game where levelling up seems more than a bit pointless. A game where I'm thinking 'why don't they get the guards to do this quest - they're obviously more capable'. A game which threw away many of the great things that its predecessor had. But I can't honestly give this game less than an 8. It's entertaining, engaging and has some replayability and if it grabs you, you will probably spend a lot of time with it. Personally, I found it a lot more enjoyable when I finished the game at level 8 as opposed to level 24., which says it all about the levelling system. Still, at today's prices I would consider it a great buy. Expand
  31. Feb 17, 2012
    From when it was released to the release of skyrim, modded oblivion was a 10/10. However a lot of people don't play this game with mods. Which leaves a far more bare journey. It's still a great game, with an incredible amount of quality content in it's vanilla state. It's just not comparable to the masterpiece that is the modded version (For reference, check out the all time tesnexus oblivion mods). As an unmodded game it's a 8/10 in the current climate. As a modded game. It's a 10/10. This score reflects the modded version. Expand
  32. Oct 9, 2011
    100+ hours of content before you even added the DLCs, decent graphics for the release year, okay combat system, very atmospheric music and sound, totally moddable so you can get updates to just about everything. Just about the perfect RPG of the decade.
  33. May 15, 2011
    Oblivion is a classic. There is so much to do and such a big world that it is very liberating. With no real classes, you can do almost anything given enough time and training. The flora and fauna of Cyrodil is diverse and interesting. The graphics, at the time were quite impressive and for a 5 year old game, they're still very decent. Some of the quests are fun and varied, though the curse of repetitive quests in rpgs still plagues this game. If there isn't enough game for you, even with the expansions, there are many mods out there to help you tailor the game to your desires. Expand
  34. May 17, 2011
    Oblivion was my favourite game when it was released. After 5 years, I have just gone back to play it again, and it is just as magical as before. The storyline is amazing, and the seamless way in which you can pursue adventure down so many smaller story arcs is just fantastic.

The feature that gives this game so much replay value, however, is the ability to mod. There are so many available
    and they breath new life into the game at every turn. Expand
  35. Jul 2, 2011
    Its a large game with a big world many quest and many item. its an open world wich i liked the most. plus mods you can download mant more items quests and world spaces, so best game ever.
  36. Jun 24, 2011
    This game was absolutely amazing, it has great lore, lots of content and a lot of things to do. The main quest can get repetitive, but the story is pretty cool. However, you shouldn't play this game just for the story, the most amazing part of this game is how open and huge it is and how many side quests and content there is. Overall, an outstanding game, it was fun playing and well worth the money. Expand
  37. Jul 4, 2011
    revolutionary game that sets the bar so high for open world RPG's that it probably wont be beat by any game except its own sequel. A HUGE open world that has a life of its own. You can take almost any action you can think of. Combat is VASTLY improved compared to morrowind and is much more fun. This is as close to the perfect game as it gets.
  38. Jul 5, 2011
    Well what can i say that everyone hasn't Morrowind (Oblivion) is One of the most complex games out there it may be outdated on Graphics but it surpasses most if not all other Role Playing Games on the market when it comes to a big world with almost endless quests and more gear then you can think of. Great game i cant wait until Skyrim comes out to set the new Standard on Role Playing Games.
  39. Jul 13, 2011
    Oblivion is a great game, but has some sizable setbacks. Gameplay is solid and something you can get easily hooked on. The quests, while moderately unoriginal, are presented in a unique way. Unfortunately, combat is smooth but almost too hard, and the leveling system is flawed and may level you faster than you can keep up. In addition to the flawed leveling system, most new players will have no idea what they're doing, as it doesn't tell you what specializing in a skill will do. Overall, the minor flaws can be overlooked by great overall gameplay, and this is a worthwhile game. Expand
  40. Aug 6, 2011
    This game is the best rpg i have played with a variety of different quests and missions. You can join many different groups and guilds. Also the game leaves you to just do whatever you want and where you want it has a decent story that could be tweaked slghtly as it is not perfect and also there are many problems i havent found any major ones to bother me alot
  41. Aug 22, 2011
    This is a fantastic game with so much replay value. It is a HUGE improvement over the previous ES game, compared to Morrowind it's 100% better. Amazing main storyline, great voice acting, amazing guild quests and many, many great side quests. This game has kept me entertained for literally hundreds of hours. I've had it bug out a few times but after I removed all my mods and reinstalled it played perfectly so i think it was the mods that were screwing it up (which makes me sad because there's a plethora of really cool mods for this game too). So far in playing the un-modded and officially patched game I've run across no bugs whatsoever so I'm not sure what all the complaining is about. Expand
  42. Aug 21, 2011
    A phenomenal next game in the Elder Scrolls series that took everything that wasn't already great in Morrowind and made it great! You would always hit an enemy if your weapon made contact, the graphics were upped 10 fold, every NPC in the game has dialogue and most importantly... There's a new story to immerse yourself with and a new land. Tamriel! This game is very imaginative and runs amazingly. The inventory has had a complete overhaul (among other things) and is what I would call the peak of RPG gaming available at the moment. The soundtrack to this game is unforgettable. For a taste of it try typing in Reign of the Septims in the YouTube search. That is the most memorable song I have heard in my life! This game is great and anyone who has a spare life should buy this game! After you've started, you won't be using your real life as much anymore! Expand
  43. Oct 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As soon as you spawn in the first dungeon in Oblivion, you are instantly plunged into a highly detailed world of Bandits, Ogres, Daedra, and 150 other baddies as well as 800 NPC's that roam the world. Each character is like a tiny mystery, waiting to be solved. As well as the Main Quest, there are at least 500 other completely optional side quests that you will pick up on your journey. Although it has 20 something glitches, and third person mode is a glitchy flop, it is a most wonderful game that deserves a 10. Expand
  44. Nov 8, 2011
    Great game, it is rpg and is more or less a decide your own path kind of game, only a few things i didn't like about it which didn't make me give a 10/10 is: It is a bit unrealistic how fast you level up in things and how when your sword is almost broken it looks perfectly fine, another is the graphics and graphical problems like how all water looked pink to me.
  45. Jan 13, 2012
    The story for the main quest was pathetic at best, Though the side missions had a lot better stories but none were truely great. A ton of bugs and glitches as well as lag, It doesnt help that the game has only 4 patches that dont even fix a majority of the problems the game suffers from.

What saves the game is that it can be modded to add a ton of user created, Which is suprisingly
    better then most of the content in the game. Expand
  46. Dec 21, 2011
    This was my first Elder Scrolls game and when i first played i was totally amazed by the freedom the game gives you... the modding support if still strong which brings lots of replayability value.
  47. Jul 9, 2012
    My personal favourite... The best game I've ever played and I still play... Amazing felling and great gameplay despite the few bugs and glitches in it. After having played more than 100 houres of the game I still have things to do... A great advantage is also the MODING community which adds new cool stuf even now!! Simply AMAZING!!
  48. Jul 13, 2012
    This is the best game I have EVER played. It has hours upon hours of game play and an enriching story. There is so many side quests that you will probably not even play them all. You will find yourself always wanting to replay it and find more quests. The amount of weapons, quests, stories, lore, and good times to had to be on Oblivion. Buy it, it is the best game ever.
  49. Sep 10, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion got 94 score, I simply do not understand. When I read the reviews and saw the score, I thought "hey this might be kinda like Dragon age: Origins, just much cheaper", but no.
    As stated by other reviews, I too really wanted to like this game, but unfortunately those little super frustrating events like "lock picking" and various other annoying factors just ruined the feeling of a good game entirely.
    To elaborate: In the Lock picking sequences you have to continuously move your mouse upwards and then click with the left mouse button in order to make the pin "stay in it's slot", however, you have to click the pin when it is at the top, and stays there for half a second - otherwise your lock pick will break. This happens completely random and there's no way what so ever to predict whether it stays in the top or not, there's no pattern, no little noise that goes off, nothing. That in it self is not an issue (annoying, but you can just walk away... or?) the thing is, you can't cancel the sequence, so if you have 100 lock picks, you'll just have to stay there, breaking them all, before the game let's you go. Oh sure fine, there are options in the bottom that says "auto try" and "close".. but you go ahead a try click those buttons with a none existent mouse (and you can't use the arrow keys... not anything to hit them). So last in total frustration i hit escape on the keyboard, causing the game to freeze. *sigh*
    Now that we're talking about the key bindings. In comparison to most other games, where you for example have a key for you map, menu, inventory, quests, reputation, spells, abilities etc. - in oblivion you have 1 - yup, EVERYTHING is wrapped up in one damn tap, that in it self wouldn't be a problem if it had tool tips when you moused over the different items - but it doesn't, you'll have to figure it out yourself.
    Weight is apparently symbolized with a feather, money with the head of a random guy - and after 8 hours of playtime, i still do not know, where to see the quests. And the map is too small (in comparison to the actual size of the game world), and you can't zoom out to locate where you have to go. The worst part is, the feeling of "a big game" disappears with the "fast travel" system - and you already have all the locations from the beginning.
    But the worst part of the entire game is the story telling, it's done so poorly, that you really have to drink 8 cans of redbull to stay awake while the NPC's talk, because the story just isn't compelling at all. You start out in a cell (in jail presumably - though you're never told why), some guy rushes into you cell claiming he's the emperor, (if it's legoland or china - you're never told either) - about 5 mins later he's dead. The voice acting is terrible and the animation is so stiff (sure they have, mad or happy faces, but this is split up in either EXTREME ANGER or SUPER HAPPY, that you can't help but thinking either the guy is a psychopath or a rapist), you can't connect with any characters in the game, 95% of the time I was playing I just went "hmm I wonder what happens if I kill this guy", and finally got bored with it and stopped playing the game.
    The AI is also somewhat ridiculous, they all seemed to have this "Leeroy Jenkins" syndrome in them, charging forward to slay enemies even though they are greatly outnumbered and go down after 2 blows.
    Was hilarious at first, but when the peeps you have to protect from getting killed does the same thing, it just gets annoying.

So to put it short
    The game play is repetitive, The story telling is **** The AI is suicidal (this only tends to work for the enemy, not so much your allies.)
    Here's a tip, if you liked Dragon Age: Origins, or just good storytelling - go play that instead, there's nothing to be seen here.
    However, if you like Fallout 3, this is probably the game for you, this game pretty much has the same issues. Just replace laser rifle with a bow, aliens with demons, and nuclear bomb with magic.
  50. Oct 2, 2010
    This game was to some degree a let down to me, but simply because I loved Morrowind so much. The game itself is very good, a great RPG that follows that traditional open ended free to do what you want formula. I did find the main story to be a bit short and a bit too linear but overall I think this is a great PC game that every RPG fan should play.
  51. Oct 23, 2010
    This has to be the all time best game I have played. I hope there is a new version, soon. Ive played the game at least 6 times. If you like RPG, this game is fantastic! Play it often! From magic to awesome weapons, this game has it all! The story is very interesting, too! Even the music score was great! Excellent job 2K Games!!! Give us more like this!
  52. Nov 2, 2010
    Many things can be said about Oblivion. It's a very ambitious project that allows you to explore a massive world with a good level of detail despite its size. The game is an open sandbox, much like its mind bogglingly vast predecessor Daggerfall, Oblivion opts for the same feel, although it narrows down the scope of the game from several countries to 15 miles of detailed landscape. I think this is a definite plus as Daggerfall was far too generic at most levels, although still tons of fun if you discount the amount of game stopping bugs. Oblivion has its share of problems as well. The story is somewhat standard, with very few (if any) wow moments to it. Its art style is pretty generic and the design of the armor/weapons leave much to be desired. The combat system seems to be solid, although it isn't anything great and not even close to strategic, and the AI is a fan of suicide charges; those that don't use magic or bows will just run right up to you and chase you all the way back to the cities if they can. Normally I'd say that's a recipe for a pretty bad game, but through all this, Oblivion has a hold over me unlike most other rpgs (even Mass Effect, which I love). The game is pure fun for those who enjoy a nice big sandbox to run around in, and as far as my personal tastes go, that is perfect for me. The range of possibilities that exist for how you play through the game gives it a massive amount of replay value, along with the different types of characters you can create. Now as far as graphics are concerned, that's pretty much a no-brainer; they are gorgeous (aside from the not so great design) and never fail to amaze, while the music is well thought out, giving the world an almost dream-like quality in some areas. I have to say that I'm rarely moved by a games atmosphere/setting, but when I wander through the uninhabited areas of Cyrodill, I can't help but feel a certain tinge of melancholy and loneliness. I love this game, but to truly enjoy it you must pick up the expansion packs Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles, respectively. These two only add to the immense world and have kept me playing for probably over a hundred hours. The final and most important part of Oblivion on PC is the libraries upon libraries of mod content that is free to download and will extend your playing time into god knows how long. A game will always have it's bugs, there is no way to cut out all of them, especially the more open ended a game is. To me, the sign of a great game is one that can hold my attention for a long time and never feel like a chore. Something that, despite its shortcomings (and there will be shortcomings) I still keep coming back for more, despite newer and flashier titles. Even now I'm thinking about downloading some more mods and reinstalling it on my brand new cpu... Collapse
  53. Oct 28, 2010
    An excellent game, my favorite RPG of all time and perhaps my favorite game.
    I'll try to keep this as short and to the point as possible:
    Pros
    -Vast and varied world. Those who say it is repetitive honestly have not played the game. There are Jungles, woods, plains and so on. An example of the vastness of the world is emerging from the sewers in the beginning of the game and seeing a
    snow-peaked mountain far off in the distance. You can go to the top of this mountain. Along the way you may run into a wolf, an ogre, or a friendly Orc living in a well appointed manner.

-The awesome questing system. There are literally hundreds of hours of quests to be found here, all interesting. Whether it's climbing the ranks in the sinister Dark Brotherhood, fighting Mehrunes Dagon, or sorting out a crooked merchant you will be entertained for hours.

-Finally, the graphics and gameplay were amazing for its time. They still look very good unmodded, but modded (specifically with Qarl's texture pack) it looks absolutely amazing. The gameplay is fun, the swordplay is simple but not repetitive, and the magic is entertaining.

Theres are several negatives to this, none of which prevent it from being a 10, but still are worth being mentioned.

-Voice actors. They used (for some obtuse reason) a very small group of voice actors. The voices do become repetitive.

-Dialog system is iffy. Kind of strange

Overall an excellent game. Highly recommend the PC version to anyone who enjoys RPGs or who wants to try something other than Call of Duty.
  54. Dec 30, 2011
    One of the best games ever created. Massive world,massive amount of customization,amazing graphics, beautiful soundtrack and touching story makes Oblivion an experience of lifetime. Oblivion improves everything from Morrowind. Get ready to lose your social life!
  55. Apr 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It might be a little late to be writing a review of this game, but I have been playing it on-and-off since practically its release day. To this day, I'm still not sure what all the hype was about.

Let's just say Oblivion was a good game. Good, not great. If you actually play RPGs for the scope and story, probably the biggest drawback of the game is the story. I wouldn't go so far as to call it contrived, but it's not all that great anyways. Actually it's pretty dull, since what you become known for by the citizens of the empire is something you accomplish within the first couple of hours of the game, had no emotional impact or power behind it, and just established the next flaw with Oblivion.

Oblivion gates. The first time I stepped through one, I thought to myself, "Oh wow, this is actually pretty cool." Then I went through another one. Then another one. Then several more. They all look the same. They all have the same mechanic. If there was one part of Oblivion that was uninspired, this was it. They all consist of getting to the top of the central tower, and pulling out a "Sigil Stone" to close the gate. Alright, now let's cycle that them through 9 maps that all look exactly the same, and you'll begin to dread going through any of these gates ever again.

I had a few other issues with the game, such as horseback riding being pretty lame, some so-so dungeons (nothing especially hidden away or secret like there was in Morrowind) and the facial animation and voice acting being the crap they were. But the leveling with your character loot and enemies was insulting. In a game that's supposed to be about go anywhere, do anything, this is an atrocity. Limiting the types of enemies you fight and level of loot you can receive at any given level automatically turns this into an extremely structured game. Sure it prevents getting anything gamebreaking at an early level, but the whole point in adventuring is learning what your strengths and limits are. If, at level 1, you can find a way to beat a level 20 monster, I think you deserve some pretty epic loot for doing so. But this leveling also meant that dungeon crawling was pretty stupid, since there was no incentive to explore other than to "see the dungeon," and they all looked essentially the same within about 3 themes (Aleid ruins, old forts, and caverns/mines).

Now this is not to say Oblivion was a crappy game. Far from it. If you want some excellent story telling and a much better RP experience, check out the... 4 factions. That's right only 4. Thankfully, each questline for the factions was much more enjoyable than the main questline, and each was quite long as well, which makes up for the fact that there are only 4. (I believe that in Morrowind there were upwards of 15, and many of them affected other factions.) And no, I am not counting the Arena. That was not a faction. You just kill people. You can finish it at level 1.

The region of Cyrodiil was quite beautiful, but only some areas shined. According to lore, Cyrodiil is supposed to be a jungle/swamp type of area. In this fashion, I quite enjoyed the areas around Bravil and Leyawiin in the game (and the snowy mountains of Bruma to the north), and Anvil was very pretty, but the rest was more ho-hum classic fantasy affair, and the cities all looked very fabricated and themed. Overall it was not nearly as immersive as Morrwind's quite alien locale, setting, and culture.

So overall, Oblivion was an average game. It definitely felt geared towards console players and much more casual gamers, as was obvious through the main storyline, generic hack'n'slash gameplay, and toned-down classic fantasy setting. But it had some obvious merits for those willing to delve deeper, with some pretty amazing faction questlines, along with some other specific side quests.

I hope 2011's Skyrim shapes up to be more like Morrowind. But if Bethesda stays down the path of Fallout 3, I won't be too irked, since that game was incredibly fun as well. Give us TES fans something good this time, Bethesda!
  56. Jun 3, 2011
    Lets see; Graphics, they was good back in the days, but now you need mods to make it look decent. NPC faces are creepy and ugly, and thats a big deal since you get zoom in at them every time you talk with them. Luckily it has a great character creation, lets you customize your character any way you want. Story, the main plot is horrible, i would use the console to close the oblivion gates, since it was extremely boring to do it the normal way, over and over again (they were all identical). But it had alot of great side quests, especially the Assassins guild. Class and combat system are almost identical as in Morrowind, which means they are good, but got "simplified" a litte (or dumbed down if you prefer). I really hate how every house, cave and even cities are instanced, doesnt make it feel like a free open world at all. Also no fun skills like levitation, and hearing the same voiceactors all the time is kinda awkward (theres only like few voice actors). I dont really see a point buying this game today, just wait for Skyrim. Expand
  57. Jun 23, 2011
    Having Played Morrowind first and enjoying it a lot, I expected better from Oblivion. The game's killing flaws where 1) enemy scaling with the player making gaining levels pointless, because you do not see any increase in power and 2) lack of levitate (some storyline missions took a half hour longer to reach because I couldn't get up the bloody hill) When a particular bit of storyline right by the end got repetitive, I said enough of this and decided I wasn't going back. (buddy playing on xbox at same time said I was ~2 hours from the end)
    Regarding the design choices about leveling: I read a number of things that suggest the true powergamer approach to this game is to stay _at level 1 or 2_ by never sleeping to avoid leveling up... this is not an ideal solution frankly.
  58. Jan 19, 2012
    The sheer scope of Oblivion is nearly incomprehensible, both in the size of the world itself (Cyrodil or Tamriel? Never quite found out) and in the number of side quests and detailed characters on offer everywhere you go, it's the type of game where you can just march off into the sunset and simply stumble upon adventure, of course your successful free-lance adventuring depends upon you're character being strong enough to deal with the foes you encounter, but that's the same with every RPG, only, they have the sense to fence off areas you aren't ready for, nonetheless I appreciate the unencumbered freedom Oblivion provides. Two flaws to address: 1) The ratio of becoming stronger : main story progression is nowhere near 1:1, and once I reached the point of going around and closing every oblivion gate in the game, I found I had to save before every armoured enemy because I was obliterated at almost every encounter without fail, and this is even including the vast amount of side quests i'd achieved, you'd think that much grinding would give me at least some advantage over my average foe. I'm not saying challenge is a bad thing, you just need to look at games like Pokemon where you can raise six pokemon through the entire game keeping them at equal levels the entire time and still not loose a single match, but coming from that to dying every time I so much as make eye contact with a fireman was too much of a jump. 2) The six different voice actors Bethesda hired to distribute amongst hundreds of npcs really destroy any sense of immersion, oh, and the speech-craft mini-game? I'd rather eat my own dick.
    Regardless, this is an incredible, one-of-a-kind game, and were it not for the fact that I'm a busy guy with a lot of **** to do, i'm sure that I would've reached the end of the main quest, but considering the point where I quit was 68 hours in, this game has to be doing something...in fact, several things right
  59. Jul 30, 2011
    My first truly open-world game (decided to play it after the announcement of Skyrim) that swept me off my feet despite many controversial issues as discussed by user Phlakes. I truly believe that this game, despite its years, should be at least experienced to some extent as an introduction to the Elder Scrolls series. Despite its lack of voice actors and strong NPC interactions, I felt immersed enough to research a whole lot about the world of Tamriel and the Elder Scrolls Prophecy. Expand
  60. Aug 21, 2011
    I did play Morrow Wind before. And i did enjoy Oblivion a lot. The story sucks in, RPG element is very well balanced, and it's just fun to explore the world, finding caves and looting skeletons! :) Just make sure to get some MODS - it's gonna make the game even better!
  61. Aug 24, 2011
    the game seems to thing that quantity is better then quality, it has few really fun things to do and a LOT of repeating boring quests and the game has only 13 voice actors. the storytelling is terrible, the story could have been good but the story stopped being interesting after i murdered every member of the mythic dawn. the map is huge but all the space is wasted, you have a few dungeons around but they are boring and there is no point to go in there except for a couple of quests. in summary this game is wasted potential Expand
  62. Sep 8, 2011
    Now to review Oblivion I feel the need to try and ignore a comparison to Morrowind, so I'll view it as such. The game is a great open world experience. I've enjoyed countless hours exploring the fantastic looking forests and caves and fighting whatever fancies a fight. The combat is fun, although some enemies are far harder to kill at certain levels than others and offer no better reward. And questing is relatively interesting, although nothing groundbreaking. The concept for the leveling system is nice, it being - if you do something enough, you get better at it - which gives a great feeling of worth over just killing monsters to level anything you want. The AI is pretty linear, you can force them to make errors and then capitalise on that, allowing you to win a one on one with a juggernaut enemy without a scratch on you. Once you reach high enough skills in speed and strength or agility, you're pretty much a demi-god. The voice acting is rather limited which takes away immersion in the world, but if you can look past that you can enjoy a lot of gameplay out of Oblivion. If you want more of an authentic feeling fantasy story RPG epic I'd prefer Dragon Age Origins. But if you like the idea of an open fantasy world to just explore and do what you want, then this is perfect. Expand
  63. Dec 30, 2011
    Amazing. Modding is amazing. Story and game play is amazing. I have spent hundreds of hours in this game. The biggest drawbacks are the lack of voices in the game, as there are too few voice actors, but overall this is one of the best games you can buy.
  64. Jan 11, 2012
    This game is a revolution to the RPG community, yeah it had some glitches an bugs but most of those were funny and didnt stop you from playing. This game took 500+ hours away from my life because I love this game, it immerses you and makes you feel like your in your characters shoes, yes oblivion was dumbed down a bit from morrowind but morrowind doesnt grasp you the same way, the uniqe land design and just the way the world has such history it is great. I thought I was done playing this game after 500+ hours, but I found myself going back to it today, I bought it again for PC and I started a new account and I still haven't lost the lore that this game provided me the day I discovered it, and yes I still remember my first time playing it was AMAZING. This game is an oldy but a goody if you haven't tried it I would recommend you give it a shot its worth throwing 25 bucks out on steam for all the expansions because this game will keep you sated for months to come, now back to Cyrodiil! Expand
  65. Dec 9, 2011
    A FREEEEKEN AWESOME GAME! I still play it now and it still brings fun...................................................................................................................................................................................................
  66. Dec 15, 2011
    This is a rare and remarkable achievement--a huge, open-ended, complex, detailed role-playing game that's fun to play and a pleasure to behold. Oblivion not only delivers everything that earned the Elder Scrolls series the devoted loyalty of a huge following of fans, but also significantly improves on the weaknesses of its 2002 predecessor, Morrowind. Morrowind earned recognition for being one of the best role-playing games in years, but the immersive and long-lasting experience it provided wasn't for everyone. Oblivion is hands-down better, so much so that even those who'd normally have no interest in a role-playing game should find it hard to resist getting swept up in this big, beautiful, meticulously crafted world. Expand
  67. Dec 18, 2011
    Oblivion offers a lot of good things on the surface; on the plus side theres a really big world to explore, the story is not linear, all the things we know and love from Morrowind or Fallout.

Very unfortunately theres a lot of really big bummers especially for people who have been around the genre for a long time. At first glance the levelling system looks great, major skills leading to
    increase of levelling in your chosen class? Damnit that´s awesome -> unfortunately they made the system broken in a way that attributes increase way slower for people who actually stick to their class and mainly use their major skills / chose their major skills and attributes according to their class and thusly giving advantages to people who deliberatly make their most important skills minor skills -> yeah way to go game designers: give the power gamers all the cookies and to hell with people who like to chose a character and actually "roleplay" it.
    This could have been easily avoided by just limiting everyones attribute increase while levelling to the same amount. (for people who haven´t played many RPGs so far: it means by chosing a warrior you should definetly not label any of your combat-oriented as major skills...otherwise you will level very quickly and your attributes increase way slower) This already hit me quite hard...but not hard enough to just deinstall ...

well yeah...it´s not linear...all the very "creative" side-Quests and dungeons are just totally similar and offer no variation.

Very disappointing. Could have been a really good one.
    Save your money if you liked the depth of Fallout and older games...go buy it if you like to show of really well-designed boosted chars and pretty shiny items achieved by bizarre and boring game-rape.
  68. Dec 21, 2011
    Today (2011) this is essentially a lesser version of Skyrim, altough the story of certain questlines are much more interesting and far longer in terms of content. When it came 2006 is was a huge step from Morrowind, and while Oblivion has a lot of content, as with any bethesda game, the general gameplay (combat) is quite dull.
  69. Jan 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loved the game. Simple as that. Although Skyrim is better, as it should be, Oblivion was an awesome game. I loved the environment and meeting the people in it. I especially loved the quests in the game as it was fun to be the Grand Champion of the Arena, the Gray Fox of the Thieves Guild, Master of the Fighter's Guild, Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild, and the Listener of the Dark Brotherhood. I also loved the expansive DLCs like Shivering Isles and the Knights of the Nine. Of all the characters in the game, I just LOVED Sheogorath's personality. It made my day everytime I saw him, especially when he was included in Skyrim. The Knights of the Nine was boring at first collecting all the gear. But the sky battle with Umaril was completely epic! So overall, I loved the game and I hope to see the series continued on for years. Expand
  70. Feb 10, 2012
    This game is one of the best RPG games I have ever played. Although it's age may seem a bit of a put down, don't let it turn you away from one of the best games on steam. At a average price of $25 you can get your hands on the original game plus all of the DLC including, The Shivering Isles. With hundreds of hours of entertaining gameplay you can go anywhere, do almost anything, and even get the advantage of using the console to use some hacks. I don't recommend this unless you are just doing it for fun, as it takes away from the rich story line. Even if you don't do the main story line, you can still level up fairly often and have fun doing fun side quests. You could join the Dark Brotherhood, join a fighter's or mage's guild or just explore this vast land that Bethesda has made for us to enjoy. Every game has a downside though although this one doesn't have many. There aren't many glitches, but sometimes the NPCs will have a strange reaction to something you do, and say something that isn't even relevant or the music might awkwardly change to a fight song. These are very excusable and don't take too much from the game. Another pet peve of mine is the zoom on the face. When you engage in a conversation, the camera zooms in just so you can see the person's face, none of the surronding items which I don't like. Overall, this game should get a 99/100. That one point is from the face zoom. Other than that, this game could easily compete with Skyrim or any other popular RPG game. Buy this game today and enjoy it. NOTE: The only reason this game is rated M for mature is because of some user-made mods. This game should be rated T for teen in my opinion. : ) Expand
  71. May 18, 2012
    I'm really too lazy to explain the reason i rate it 10/10 but it's well worth, the fact that you can do almost anything is already enough, all the negative emotions i got only from characters visualisation the faces were really ugly but hell, there's like thousands of mods for that. Good job!
  72. Nov 27, 2011
    Like another reviewer said, I really tried to like this game. I came to it late however, and was never a fan of the Elder Scrolls series. My RPG experience comes from Baldur's Gate 1/2 and Neverwinter Nights 1/2. I love having free reign to do what I want, but I also need to care about the environment in order to immerse myself in it. In Oblivion I had no idea what to do, so I wandered... and nothing was intriguing about the land AT ALL. I was only able to play this game for about 30mins at a time because it just didn't hold my interest. Neverwinter Nights 2 probably has about 5% of the content but I have played it through about 20 times. Others have spent many hours on Oblivion though so I would suggest RPG fans at least try it... the game is quite cheap on steam now. Expand
  73. Mar 26, 2011
    Ths game isn't bad. Some aspects, like the graphics, are very good. However, gameplay wise, this game falls behind. It begins very well, but it becomes monotonous with time. After about 30 hours of gameplay i was running away from any person who wanted to give me a quest, and some time later, I just ignored most of them. Regardless of what they said you are to do it always came down to "go there, kill everybody, find an object, come back." The main quest line also is not enthralling, and, moreover, nor original in any way. After gluing me to the screen for a long time, the game simply became tedious. Expand
  74. Mar 9, 2011
    This game looks great, the world is vast and the world is open-ended and interactive. Lots of great potential, with a complex and technically impressive interactive world. The only problem is that there are no appealing characters to interact with and no emotional connection with the game. They made something awesome, but without much of a soul.

I was soon bored with the game. Find a
    new place off in the wilderness? Defeat the evil that lurks within? Nobody cares.

Summary: a game with a lot of potential, but not much substance.
  75. Mar 18, 2011
    The phrase that is often used to described Bethesda's games are "free world". It's apt. It's correct. And either you like that aspect or you don't. I don't. To me, it's not an RPG. Playing a role by definition means there is some type of script. While there is technically a major thread in the game it very easy to lose it and never find it again. You can wonder aimlessly for hours. Is it fun? Kinda. But it never offers any real sense of accomplishment for me. I never feel like I'm making progress, like I make a difference in the world. I hate to give this game a five because I respect the quality of the work that went into it. But it's just not for me. If you are Bethesda fan-boy you will love this game like you loved all the others. But it's more of the same old boring crap as far as I am concerned. Expand
  76. Apr 5, 2011
    One of most overrated games in history. It had nice graphics when it lasted (i bought and played it on release) but honestly... nothing else. Terrible gameplay, fighting, same 2 or 3 voice actors for every character. linearity, terrible character development and world leveling systems, very mediocre plot. Playing as melee classes is boring clicking of one button, well mages do not differ much from this. I cant understand that unfounded cult surrounding this title. I do not recommend this game to anyone, its boring, anticlimactic and rly overrated.. Expand
  77. Apr 20, 2011
    Man, I've had a funny relationship with this game over the years. Really really wanted to love it. In fact practically upgraded my PC once just to try to play it as my initial set up could barely get 12 fps with distance drawing off. Downloaded hundreds of mods - all in an attempt to make the most immersive, in-depth fantasy world I possibly could. Ultimately this game is just an unfortunate let down. Even years later after upgrading my PC for a second time, when checking out the game once more, I found myself strangely not enjoying the experience. I mean, I love fantasy, love the idea of an open world. Love RPGs. So why is this game so disappointing? Well, even with pretty good PCs this game will stutter and struggle. The world is very repetitive. Dungeons, extremely so. Combats simplistic. NPCs mostly boring. Plot, okayish. Spells and animations just not good enough. If people like this game, it's almost certainly down to the mods. The community is what made this game in truth. Let's hope they learn from this one (and the modders) and turn out a more polished game for Elder Scrolls V. (And a bigger, more interesting world please). I found myself trying Morrowind because of this game and then strangely hovering in limbo between the two, unable to really get into either - there's Morrowind with it's far more detailed and engaging world, its better systems and story-line - but after Oblivion's combat it's pretty hard fighting in Morrowind. Then after Morrowind it's likewise pretty hard to get into Oblivion's shallow world. Even with the quite outstanding mods out there like OOO, MMM and so many others... nice try, here's hoping someone makes the game I'm waiting for soon .... Expand
  78. Jun 9, 2012
    Played this game for like 50 hours and unfortunately I have to say the gameplay is broken. Why? Because investing in the illusion & invisibility can make any quest too easy. Going through the main campaign was a breeze (even on hardest difficulty) simply because I could turn invisible, turn enemies against each other and do the entire game without having to fight an enemy.

When you're
    able to do that, and there's no way for the enemy to stop you, how will this game be challenging? I'm not gonna pretend I don't have these powers just to enjoy the game, it's broken gameplay. On top of that, I didn't even have to level up at all, which is done by sleeping. They should've done it so you automatically level up as soon as you get the experience. Now you can just avoid leveling up. Why would you want to do that? Because your enemies and creatures become better and stronger the more you level up. You can stop this process by not going to bed.

Anyways, it was fun while it lasted. Now it's just boring.
  79. Dec 16, 2011
    A bit overhyped, but actually quite good in my opinion. Yes it has its flaws - level scaling, UI, animations are silly, main story is quite cheap, atmosphere still not as good as Morrowind etc. Yet still the world is unbelievably huge and very well made. It requires a special approach to this game to fully enjoy it, but it is worth it.
  80. Sep 18, 2011
    Most engaging game I've ever played. The world is immense and the things to do seem unlimited. I've gotten a lot of playability out of this game. A truly good game for me is one where I can beat it in a different way than my friends will. I love the customization and oblivion has plenty.
  81. Sep 24, 2011
    This game really deserves no less than a 10 and is, for sure, in my top favorites. Which is saying a lot because I don't really like "fantasy" dragons and such, type games. My friends made me play it since I was such a fallout 3 fan (which is also on my top favs, maybe even number 1) and I insisted that I wouldn't like it since it was so fantasyish, but the depth of the game... I don't think I ever even finished the main quest line since I've always kept myself busy with hours upon hours of side things to do, and exploring in this vast map, and the character progression is great, I love the stat system. you use something it levels, and then you combine that with the base stat system that you can put stats in as you level. Amazing system, works kind of like how Congress and House is Supposed to, haha. Expand
  82. Jul 25, 2012
    Having now seen what Morrowind was like, I think I'm ready to finalise my score for Oblivion. Let's get the worst parts of Oblivion out of the way first. Compared to both Morrowind and Skyrim; Oblivion feels much more generic and lacking in any distinct theme. I'd say this is because those games both had distinctive cultural themes; being incredibly surreal and Viking-like respectively. The quests themselves still have an interesting variety to them, from simple fetch-this quests to more complex place-to-place quests which I think Bethesda should starts focusing on more rather than pad out games with grind missions. The graphics are adequate, but the environments lack any real distinction from one another and characters have a strange uncanny valley look to them during conversation. Voice acting is also uneven, but Bethesda should no longer lose points for that. The combat would indeed be accurate of real-life swordplay if the combatants both fought by slapping each other with pieces of cardboard. Anyway, enough negatively, let's talk positive. As I said, the quests have a nice variety to them and the main story is alright, if uneven. The environments are nicely designed and the scoring is typically excellent. Of course, above all else remains that sense of true, organic open-ended game-play that Bethesda is renowned for. As a whole though, Oblivion is still an excellent game that is let down by a lack of identity among other Beth games. By the way Bethesda, you don't need to pad out the game with radiant quests, you should focus more on making more of though long-winding quests like they had in Morrowind. Skyrim was a step in the right direction, but man up Bethesda! You have nothing to lose if you make another game as unique as Morrowind! Expand
  83. Nov 21, 2011
    The world of Oblivion is a seemingly live one. Mountains, caves, and a copious amount of missions would keep anyone busy for hours on end. The sheer beauty of this game is sometimes overshadowed by repetitive voice acting and boring level design; there is no denying the brilliance that comes from looking at the night sky while Jeremy Soule's soundtrack plays in your headphones.
  84. Nov 30, 2011
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is what an RPG should be - compelling story plot, tons of side quest and a large open world to explore. The automatic leveling system leaves something to be desired. But then again, the more you use certain skills, the better you should get at those skills. The graphics leave something to be desired, but eye candy does not make a game great.
  85. mez
    Dec 17, 2011
    This is a bland and soulless game. The world is huge, but there's little variation throughout and it all feels oddly empty (contrast with the fantastic weirdness and variety of Morrowind). The level scaling takes away any sense of danger. The badly animated characters are ugly beyond reason. The voice acting is truly, truly miserable (think Aribeth in Neverwinter Nights levels of bad). The developers clearly used their whole budget hiring Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart and then had to resort to getting random people in off the street. There's no emotional engagement at all because not one of characters has any personality - they're all just generic, interchangeable quest dispensers. The setting has potential though. I understand the modding community has done some great things, but for me the days of spending a whole weekend auditioning mods are long gone. I don't recommend the vanilla game. Expand
  86. Mar 13, 2012
    I honestly couldn't get into this game after I had played Skyrim. Its dialogue is weird and irritating, the inventory is annoying, the map is also very annoying. The graphics are poor, and I have to say that Doom 3 (a game from 2004) had far better visuals. The combat is fun, but very clunky as it is in the Elder Scrolls games. An okay game, and I admit I would have enjoyed it much more if I hadn't played Skyrim first. Expand
  87. Sep 9, 2012
    Amazing game. The plot is nice, nothing we didn't see before, but the freedom of gameplay is something inredible. Your actions really matter and the consequences of yours actions cannot go away. A failed quest iss a failed quest and got its repercussions. Somethings you just can't do, because of class limits. Graphics are outdated, but still very beautiful, and they can be upgraded with mods. Talking about mods, find some you like from the tons available and that will make you play it for an entire year without repetition. Good deal indeed. Expand
  88. Mar 20, 2012
    The story in this game is good, but presented in a boring way where you see everything from one perspective. I've never been a fan of this kind of storytelling, but then again it's not why I play Bethesda games. It is the giant open world packed with quests that draw me in. The skills are nicely done, but some are unnecessary and the leveling system don't work properly. Combat is ok, but when you take all things in consideration Oblivion is a very good game. Small problems like the combat and leveling system is overshadowed by the size of the world and all the stuff you can do within the game! Expand
  89. Jul 30, 2012
    this was best game i loved xbox version ps3 version & pc version i love this game so much no glitches no nothing perfect only thing is if they re did this game i hope they make it with compatible with xbox controller
  90. Jul 1, 2012
    First major RPG I ever played on the Xbox 360 and the first Elder Scrolls I ever played. Fantastic game from start to finish, a truly epic and totally absorbing adventure.
  91. Aug 16, 2012
    I have never played a game that I didn't finish but enjoyed soo much. I played over 200 hours with the different modules and only quit because my computer died. Thank goodness it died because I fear that I would still be playing. The world was so vast, so easy to enter and so easy to loose all my free time. I loved every minute.
  92. Sep 2, 2012
    Even though i am a huge fan of all rpgs and especially the elder scrolls, oblivion is the game that stands out for me. The gameplay is amazing with hundreds of different game styles to adopt which make the game a completely different experience. Some people might like to snipe their targets from afar, some might like to hack their way through the game while you can even be a powerful mage and summon ferocious monsters to do the work for you! The map is gigantic and very detailed and when you first enter the game you feel lost in its vastness. Furthermore, there are hundreds of quests that you can do besides the main quest which will earn you large amounts of gold and hidden treasures which will in their turn aid you in your travels. The dialogues are very nice, the graphics very good considering the immersity of the environment the lack of frame drops even in average computers. The music will stick in your ears for days and you will generally find the game to be very entertaining. Personally, even after having spents hundreds of hours on skyrim, i still prefer this game to it, since it has an epic feel to it and it's one of few fantasy games which really create a believable world! It's an even better experience if you enjoy the game with expansions and many mods that have improved it in so many ways and taken care of some little bugs and glitches. I URGE you to try it! Expand
  93. Sep 11, 2012
    This İs Not a Game.This İs Another World.
  94. Oct 5, 2012
    The advantage of Oblivion over Skyrim is that game takes itself less seriously and has a MUCH better character devlopment system. Strangely enough, the best way to build the character is to place all the most useless skills as your major talents and then deliberately level up as slowly as possible. By doing so you character gains powers acoss all skill areas, and will not be troubled with difficulty spikes at all. Rather you will need to bump up the game difficulty as you progress to a demi-god mastering all skill areas. Except for superficial graphics, EVERYTHING in Oblivion is better and more fun than Skyrim. Especially the guild quests, but also such things as the NPC's despite the ridculous encounter interface and the use of only 5 voice actors. Yet the core reason it is MUCH better, is that the player can build their character as they like and can master all fields with no penalty. Crafting and magic in this game is far more potent, interesting and worthwhile than in Skyrim. The Elven Ruins have a far better mood than the Dwarven ones. When you consider how perfect the keybingings and the UI are in this game to how poor they are in Skyrim its clear that it is Oblivion, not Morrowind that marks the highpoint of Bethesda fantasy RPG design. Before they start anything else the team owes it to their fans to spend 12 months making a massive patch to bring all that fails so bad in Skyrim back up to the level they had yet lost with Oblivion. Expand
  95. Qis
    Oct 2, 2012
    This game is broken
    1. leveling system is broken - you level up, you become weaker, not stronger while enemies become stronger and stronger. The game give you major skills that give you experience to level up but less attributes when used, minor skill give attributes but no experience to level up, so figure out how bad that is. It means to level up is by using major skills but the more
    you use minor skills the more attributes you get at level ups.
    2. AI is bad - NPC have no AI actually, they are programmed like robots, they just do what they are programmed to do and it is repetitive. Your ally NPC will attack enemies without AI, meaning they will chase the enemy into lava, river and they will likely be in front of you when you attack, in front of each other making friendly fire. And worse they will kill each other if there are too many friendly fire among them and turn on you in the middle of combat
    3. Anti-climax lame story - because of bad AI, big event in the game is like nothing happen to NPCs, right after the big event happen, they continue their program as usual. the story is also not worth to mention, no story to tell actually, just missions to do and these missions is not important as the whole. You can play without doing it anyway, so why bother?
    4. boring maps- The maps of caves, ruins and oblivion plane are repetitive, after few times playing you will see the very same thing over and over
    5. game breaking items and skill- Although the leveling system is broken you may carefully create a character that is in "god-mode" as soon as you have certain items and make your own spells. 120% invisibility, go figure out what is that?
    6. boring quests- all quests are boring and lost, A told you to go to B, b told to go to C, doing D or get E then return. Almost all quests are like this. These quests are lame and stupid. You become an errant boy/girl for someone. The background story of quests are also lame and not important.
    7. user interface is bad - everything are in tabs, tabs within tabs
    8. you can eat anything as long as you don't know the second effect could kill you, that is chemistry.
    9. you will end up using spells in the end even you planned to play as warrior or stealth
    10. too many to comment, just saying this game is BROKEN
  96. Dec 25, 2012
    The worst of all Elder Scrolls games. Badly designed boring world compared to morrowind or skyrim and an absolute broken level scale system made this game almost uplayable to me. I spent weeks to get a propper mod to get rid of the level scaling, but the mods crippled the game even more. It's unbelievable how Bethesda could release such a mess. For all fans of Skyrim who search another great elder scrolls expirience: simpyl grab the Morrowind Game Of The Year edition. It's Astronomic Units ahead of this broken moneymaker release called oblivion. Still a better game than most modern titles though. Expand
  97. Apr 3, 2013
    The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion has its flaws, but what it does right, dear God, it does SO right. This game is one of a kind, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. A must play.
  98. Sep 4, 2010
    I wrote one review for this on the 360 already, but tragicly forgot to mention one of the reasons I love this game so much. The expansion Shivering Isles is the single most enjoyable DLC I have ever played. Period. It's a wonderful, twisted, gripping expansion. I could take or leave Knights of the Nine, but the Shivering Isle was epic.
  99. Nov 19, 2011
    So long as you dont know about the level scaling system untill youve poured your life into this thing you will be fine. Its true. The elder scrolls provide a universe that makes you forget the bugs, forget the level scaling issues, forget what small problems persist, its all an amazing expierience, but oblivion is probablly the worst elder scrolls game by far.
  100. Jan 7, 2011
    A pretty ragdoll. This game is one of the biggest waste of good potential I have seen in a long while. The lush graphics are wasted on an empty shell, on a dull, stiff, rigid, lifeless world where there is little to no compulsion to explore or do anything.

The same can be said about the settings: the background and settings, very promising and incredibly rich, are completely wasted in
    this carapace devoided of any kind of a soul.

On top of this, the hefty system requirements.

Stay clear of this.
  101. Nov 2, 2010

1. It’s just so damned big. That’s what you’ll say after playing Oblivion for more than an hour. Or, for that matter, 50 hours.
  2. Oblivion is by far the closest I have come to playing D&D Sunday afternoons with my friends (yes, I did that, though I’m on medication now), all wrapped up in a stunning package with tens of thousands of lines of spoken dialog and good music.
    I honestly have to say that I am in favour of most of the changes and I think Oblivion is an awesome achievement from Bethesda.