8.0

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2086 Ratings

1. Apr 24, 2015
    I have encountered feelings with this title because of its name "Fallout" with a consecutive number that has broken the saga of isometric RPG with this first person shooter. The vanilla game also is plain, with very poor NPC design, an easy RPG system and a linear story-line. But it has one of the strongest mod systems in history of games that makes it one of the best RPG and good-lookingI have encountered feelings with this title because of its name "Fallout" with a consecutive number that has broken the saga of isometric RPG with this first person shooter. The vanilla game also is plain, with very poor NPC design, an easy RPG system and a linear story-line. But it has one of the strongest mod systems in history of games that makes it one of the best RPG and good-looking games even in 2015. The NMCs textures with MMM and FWE are crucial to make this game challenging, or better, or play Fallout 3 with the FNV engine with Tale of Two Wastelands. Whatever, the GECK toolset is the best of this game and turns it incredibly long-lived. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2015
    Although I really enjoy Morrowind and Skyrim, I can't seem to get into this one. Art design is bland. Everything seems like a mediocre fairy tale. Interface and controls (or character reaction) are less clean and direct than previously mentioned games. It's big and for the time it had impressive visuals. Story and quests however cannot keep my attention. I always get bored and never feelAlthough I really enjoy Morrowind and Skyrim, I can't seem to get into this one. Art design is bland. Everything seems like a mediocre fairy tale. Interface and controls (or character reaction) are less clean and direct than previously mentioned games. It's big and for the time it had impressive visuals. Story and quests however cannot keep my attention. I always get bored and never feel like I want to keep playing this one. Expand
  3. Feb 16, 2015
    This game is most likely the greatest game I've ever played. I put many hours and lots of my computer's storage into beating this game. Music, Graphics, Quests, Character Creation: all the best of its time. I tell all my friends to play it.
  4. Feb 6, 2015
    The prime example why the next-gen was the biggest mistake in human entertainment history by lowering video games to lower and lower masses.
    Technically it was and especially still is a catastrophe (good luck running it on 64 bit), it really looked bad when it came out in 2006. It was mostly the lie, promising features that were not implemented (the bump mapping was only in the starting cell, now run the hype machine!).
    Level scalling basically ruined this game gameplay wise.
    The writing and world design was non existant. It's was just some **** put randomely in the world without any thought of reason. It was designed as a marketing product to promote Xbox and sell to masses expecting an easy, dumbed down ride in a disney land they can "enjoy".
  5. Feb 2, 2015
    This game is fantastic, but it also has some general flaws in gameplay and technology:
    - unnecessarily hardware-heavy (like previous episodes of the series)
    - gameplay is in many places unfinished, modding required - modding this game efficiently is possible, but needs a lot of experience, time and external tools But anyone who can overcome the modding dilemma, is in for the most
    - unnecessarily hardware-heavy (like previous episodes of the series)
    - gameplay is in many places unfinished, modding required
    But anyone who can overcome the modding dilemma, is in for the most immersive game I've played.
  6. Dec 28, 2014
    Objectively, I score this game a solid 6 due to its many unavoidable annoyances. It would score at 7 if the annoyances were eliminated but it is nothing like its predecessor and not as good as its successor. Oblivion had a lot of hype during development. We were promised all star voice acting, real intelligent AI behavior, and a larger landmass... well, it turns out that they were all halfObjectively, I score this game a solid 6 due to its many unavoidable annoyances. It would score at 7 if the annoyances were eliminated but it is nothing like its predecessor and not as good as its successor. Oblivion had a lot of hype during development. We were promised all star voice acting, real intelligent AI behavior, and a larger landmass... well, it turns out that they were all half truths and half lies.

There was all star voice acting but it was very limited to a hand full of characters. Everyone else was annoying as hell with repetitive comments and inappropriate tones that drove me mad 10 hours into the game. How many times did we run into a young girl with the voice of a raspy women on her death bed? Or an old man with a high pitch youngster voice? Voices were reused and assigned to characters randomly resulting in very strange combination which actually distracted from the game and immersion.

Intelligent AI behavior? Jobs and economy? Yea right. This was a pure lie. AI behavior was all scripted and none of it was intelligent by any stretch of the word. AI did not have real jobs, they just followed a scripted schedule to open at x hour and close at y hour. At z hour they ate and w hour they slept. It was lame. It was not intelligent. It was no different than any other game made as far back as the NES. How unintelligent was the AI? Well, you could kill a guard next to another guard while sneaking, and the living guard will not care. He will make a comment about a dead person and even if you uncover yourself he will just stand there. You could even drag the dead guard in front of him and he will not care. Same with any other AI controlled character in the game (not just guards). At the same time, god help you if someone in a city sees you stealing because all hell will break loose and every guard in the entire city will instantly know you are a criminal and they will all come after you at once. Lame lame lame lame. This became a major problem sometimes because unless you use the PC console commands, it could break your game permanently. AI my backside.

Larger landmass they tell us... well, the landmass was "larger" but it was mostly just the same damn environment copy and pasted over and over. The entire place looked the same. Morrowind had character and even Skyrim has some character but Oblivion was just plain and boring. It was the same no matter where you went and even ruins were just copy/pasted over and over (albeit Morrowind suffered from the same issue when it came to ruins). Bottom line, they may not have lied, but it was not as impressive as they wanted us to believe.

Aside from the annoyances above, there were a few more problems.

Level scaling... although this happens in a lot of games, in Oblivion is was not done well at all. The same enemy you faced at level will have 10x as many hit points when you are level 10 and they will look exactly the same and spawn in the same places. It killed immersion greatly because combat became mundane and unnecessarily long due to how many hip points each goblin, demon, or animal had as you leveled. The problem is that damage did not increase at the same pace as hit points so it made the player feel weaker. In Oblivion, you are much more powerful at level 5 than you are at level 20 and it killed any feeling of progression normally associated with RPG's. It clearly was not tested enough. They use similar systems in Morrowind and Skyrim but it was much better balanced. On top of that, unique weapons gained from god quests also level scaled... yes you read that right. If you do a quest at low level, you get a weak version of the rewarded weapon! And the weapon does not gain power as you level so it becomes obsolete almost instantly since they are all worse than enchanted weapons anyway. How lame is that.

Next, enchanting, spell making and itemization were all "streamlined" which we all know means dumbed down for consoles and low IQ players. Everything was strictly controlled gone was a lot of the fun we had in Morrowind like levitating around the world to explore. You can still enchant powerful stuff but it was also made much easier almost to the point that it felt unearned whereas in Morriwind it felt awesome when you were able to trap a soul and enchant even the most basic of things. In Oblivion it was very easy and felt like cheating from the get go.

Bottom line, a good game but it is no Morrowind. Too many annoyances keep it from being great but still it is better than most games you find on the shelf. It still is a fun open world game with plenty to do albeit without the sense of satisfaction associated with many RPG's.
  7. Dec 16, 2014
    Fun, a great variety of dungeons, caves towns etc to explore, some of the guild missions are fantastic, there's a lot of variety. I've played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim and Oblivion is just more fun than the other 2, I enjoyed the dungeon crawling more and there seemed to be more other-worldy realms. No keyboard problems, not a 'bad port' in any way at all. The only criticism I mightFun, a great variety of dungeons, caves towns etc to explore, some of the guild missions are fantastic, there's a lot of variety. I've played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim and Oblivion is just more fun than the other 2, I enjoyed the dungeon crawling more and there seemed to be more other-worldy realms. No keyboard problems, not a 'bad port' in any way at all. The only criticism I might have is that my character became invincible, but that could be fixed with mods though. There are a huge amount of mods of all kinds. Expand
  8. Dec 6, 2014
    Enemies progression is broken, this is not right for RPG game because you may get feeling that you are punished for leveling rather feel like have benefits from it. And worst is that you can level pretty fast, am explored nearby locations around starting point and after make one circle I was already boss with super armor and weapon. After that all enemies around become pretty nasty and amEnemies progression is broken, this is not right for RPG game because you may get feeling that you are punished for leveling rather feel like have benefits from it. And worst is that you can level pretty fast, am explored nearby locations around starting point and after make one circle I was already boss with super armor and weapon. After that all enemies around become pretty nasty and am feel like nobody again, some weak looking monster kills me LOL Am made epic battle with some rat !!! And treasures probably don't match to your level so it look epic and ridiculous at one time. Also my problem was with locations where at beginning I though they are stunning beautiful after while they become repetitive, in this parts Skyrim is much better game. Play Gothic 3 its much better game in many parts in long distance. At very beginning am love Oblivion but now am at point where don't even want to complete it and am realized that Gothic 3 have all what is missing in it. So in fact am would rather complete G3 than continue this game. Its basically good game and may be enjoyable for few days but for long play its very bad it going downhill all the time to point where become unplayable. Its pretty ridiculous that I want to play it again and try to avoid leveling to have better chances complete it on level 1 LOL as RPG its terrible how they test it? Was its tested anyway? And on what are based scores on first hour play? In my opinion this game is broken to point of unplayable because you will never get advance, you never change anything for better all you do work against you LOL Am already have epic equipment and don't see any whatsoever advance from it. Only one good point is sneak + bow but after monster see you it may be pretty frustrating battle because boss are everywhere even some stupid road thief with full glass armor etc it look crazy! More you play then more you see that stuff. My initial score was really 10/10 but it drop to zero and that is final score. Its just bad game for long play. Expand
  9. Nov 12, 2014
    This is my least favorite Elder Scrolls game. I find it somewhat boring and repetitive, with no significant improvements to the series.

It's a good game, but its got nothing on Skyrim, and frankly I enjoyed Morrowwind more.
  10. Oct 23, 2014
    I am giving Oblivion and 8, Skyrim a 9.5 and Morrowind a 10. Personally, I still feel that although Oblivion was a great game, it was a step back for the series. The level-scaling enemies, bland dungeons and procedurally-generated loot were awful. But fortunately, the soundtrack was time-stoppingly awesome, the combat was improved and the land was a sight to see. I modded my game to theI am giving Oblivion and 8, Skyrim a 9.5 and Morrowind a 10. Personally, I still feel that although Oblivion was a great game, it was a step back for the series. The level-scaling enemies, bland dungeons and procedurally-generated loot were awful. But fortunately, the soundtrack was time-stoppingly awesome, the combat was improved and the land was a sight to see. I modded my game to the high-heavens and for me, that was what made my experience so much better as it added so many things that I felt, the game lacked. Praise the modders! I hope Bethesda will not forget its lessons moving forward to Elder Scrolls VI. Expand
  11. Oct 14, 2014
    Bland, generic, uninspired, buggy, dumbed down continuation of otherwise excellent Elder Scrolls series. The absolute worst voice acting I have ever heard in a game, combined with horrible and dumbed down dialogues and forgetful story makes this probably the worst Elder Scroll game. GPS hand holding compass removes any exploration from the game, while level scaling ruins every otherBland, generic, uninspired, buggy, dumbed down continuation of otherwise excellent Elder Scrolls series. The absolute worst voice acting I have ever heard in a game, combined with horrible and dumbed down dialogues and forgetful story makes this probably the worst Elder Scroll game. GPS hand holding compass removes any exploration from the game, while level scaling ruins every other aspect. The only redeeming quality is a big open world and modding community that can somewhat fix some of the problems, but not everything. Expand
  12. Oct 13, 2014
    I haven't played this game until last year and I have to say that I was disappointed. All I wanted was to have a great single player experience. But I didn't get it. After completing the first story quest, I immediately skipped to the place where the second one was in order to realize that I had absolutely no chance against the enemies present in the Demon Gate. The game wanted me toI haven't played this game until last year and I have to say that I was disappointed. All I wanted was to have a great single player experience. But I didn't get it. After completing the first story quest, I immediately skipped to the place where the second one was in order to realize that I had absolutely no chance against the enemies present in the Demon Gate. The game wanted me to endlessly grind and level up in order to be able to progress further.

So, I decided to try some quests. One got my interest, in which a guy got robbed by some ladies while having "fun" with them. To my surprise, when I got to their hidden cottage, no one came and I got locked inside with no other way of getting out. I found out that it was a bug, so I tried this quest several other times and the girls remained at their original place - in the city. After killing them, the quest didn't progress, because they weren't in the location they were supposed to be in. How lame.

To sum it up, when the first quest in the game you try is so bugged that it cannot even be completed - that says something about the overall quality of the game. If only I could follow the storyline without having to complete buggy quests beforehand ...
  13. Sep 25, 2014
    The levelling system is pure pain. Without this, I'd give 10 with no hesitation. So much freedom! Be the a$$hole who makes innovation in murder techniques and get good laughs.
  14. Sep 12, 2014
    Pros: N/A

Cons: Hideously ugly faces on the people in the game; mediocre graphics by modern standards; terrible leveling system where all the enemies level with you; horrible and boring combat system. Score Breakdown: Game Stability 9/10, Background Story 5/10, Loading Screens and Frame Rate 5/10, Sound Effects and Music 4/10, Voice Acting 3/10, Graphics 3/10, Plot Development 2/10,
    Pros: N/A

Score Breakdown: Game Stability 9/10, Background Story 5/10, Loading Screens and Frame Rate 5/10, Sound Effects and Music 4/10, Voice Acting 3/10, Graphics 3/10, Plot Development 2/10, Realism 1/10, Gameplay 1/10, Replay Value 0/10, Total Score 3.3/10

Conclusion: Skip Oblivion and play The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim instead.
  15. Sep 6, 2014
    Finally I'm looking into one of the best PC RPGs next to Diablo II, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion! And let me just say, I'm not disappointed. Before I dove into my painfully long review, I want to get something clear: This is a review of the vanilla game, as in how the people at Bethesda intended it to be played. So no mods whatsoever, just pure Oblivion.
    Oblivion came out almost 8 1/2
    Oblivion came out almost 8 1/2 yars ago, but I just picked it up 2 weeks ago. Since then, I've logged in over 140 hours into the game, playing it nonstop. The game is just WAAAY to fun to be overlooked. It is possibly the greatest game I've ever played.
    You start out Oblivion as a prisoner. Based on what I'm told from other people, this is Elder Scrolls tradition. And somehow you get tied up in this plot with a demonic cult trying to kill the Emperor of Tamriel opening the gates of Oblivion to what I can only assume is hell. But apparently the Emperor has a bastard son and he's the only one who can saved the doomed world from Oblivion. And really you're just a side character standing there watching all the action unfold and even though you're crowned champion of Cyrodiil, really you're just a side character. So it's not that appealing. On the more positive side of things. . .
    One of the most amazing things about Oblivion is the system it uses called radiant AI. It gives each NPC a schedule; they'll wake up, eat their breakfast, go to work, go to the pub, or even, on occasions travel to another city. They'll also talk to one another, usually discussing the lastest news or how much they hate mudcrabs. And all of this adds to the living-breathing world factor of Oblivion, it's immersive and fun.
    Another thing that totally stunned me about Oblivion was the environment of Cyrodiil; it is gorgeous. Each part of the map is varied and different; there are the grasslands of the Imperial City, to the snowy mounntains of Bruma, to the swampy lowlands of Leyawiin and so on. Nearly 400 locations ranging from forts to Ayleid Ruins make the world feel much bigger than 16 square miles, and they immerse you, once again, adding to the living, breathing world factor.
    I also really enjoyed the quests as well. The main quest was good, but the side quests and factional quests are really what took the cake for me. I'll never forget when I killed 5 people at a party, and they had no clue I was the killer. Or how about that time I stole a FREAKING Elder Scroll for the Gray Fox? Awesome. Or my personal favorite, doing some dirty work for Sanguine, and stripping the Countess and her dinner guests down to their panties? There are plenty of colorful NPCs who will give you quests like this.
    Oblivion also features a fast-travel system, allowing you to fast travel to any location you had previously discovered, which I personally like since it cuts out all that unnecessary walkingeven though you've already discoveredthe place and it's kind of pointless having to walk 3 miles just to get there. Select characters and enemies level up with you, in my opinion that's a fascinating concept becasue it sucks all the fun out of the game if you hit level 50 and become GOD. Voice talent in Oblivion is great as well. They use some of the famous actor from movies like Terence Stamp (Superman) and Patrick Stewart (Star Trek). There are alot of cheesy lines, but it's a good and funny kind of cheesy, so I let it slide. Like in any RPG, you have skills and you level up, obviously. If there's one thing bad I can say about Oblivion, is that I've encountered a few bugs. PCs aren't supposed to have that big a problem with bugs as consoles. . .oh dear, then just think about how much worse it'll be on Xbox 360.
    So that's my review. As you can see, I have super positive feelings on Oblivion. I'm dying to play Morrowind and Skyrim (it's coming in the mail tomorrow) and all the DLC and expansions, and see if they're just as good if not better than Oblivion. But for right now, me and my level 35 Imperial Assassin are going to go have some fun with the Mages Guild.
    P.S. I'm sorry if I mispelled anything, I turned off the spell check.
  16. Sep 4, 2014
    Oblivion was ambitious.. and in my opinion, overly so.
    I found the storyline mundane and the game-play very repetitive, the animations clunky, the worst leveling up system in the history of gaming, annoying AI, and worst of all it didn't engage me.
    Oblivion was ambitious.. and in my opinion, overly so.
    One of the strangest factors for me about all of the Elder Scrolls games is that you, as the protagonist, are a mute, and the manner of interaction between you and NPC's to be somewhat bizarre. Click on one word phrases and NPC's rattle off about that topic if you are lucky. Another criticism is that without actively taking time to examine your character, all the time and effort one puts into their character's appearance is wasted as all you see are hands and your weapon of choice.
    Many praise the size, scale and scope of the world, which in 2006 was bigger than most seen before, the open spaces and walking from one town to the next was only time-consuming, and vast wilderness' filled with occasional critters was not the rich experience that the game promised.
    Criticism aside though, I still enjoyed this game, and the Shivering Isles expansion was a vast improvement with regards to storyline.
    Ultimately, this game failed to keep me engaged
  17. Aug 8, 2014
    The game lacked a little bit of climate from Morrowind, but the graphics were a huge improvement, the journal is finally readable, the map is really epic, and the game has a little Lord of the Rings feel to it.
    And you can actually feel the tension building when you see all of those Oblivion gates opening in greater and greater numbers everywhere on the map.
  18. Aug 2, 2014
    The problem of Oblivion was that it had to follow up to the absolute masterpiece that was previous chapter in TES series - Morrowind. Compared to that, it's true that Oblivion felt quite a bit weaker, locations were a bit too monotonous, the interface a bit too consolized, faces terribly ugly, voice acting over repeated to death, game mechanics simplified and to my taste it all felt a bitThe problem of Oblivion was that it had to follow up to the absolute masterpiece that was previous chapter in TES series - Morrowind. Compared to that, it's true that Oblivion felt quite a bit weaker, locations were a bit too monotonous, the interface a bit too consolized, faces terribly ugly, voice acting over repeated to death, game mechanics simplified and to my taste it all felt a bit too much like a kiddie fairytale sometimes. BUT... Oblivion was still capable to do what all the TES chapters do so well, immerse you in the world, make you forget the real one and let you enjoy the fantasy experience for hundreds of hours. While I wasn't a big fan of the leveling system where the enemies were leveling up along with you, it kept the challenge on par until the very end, also the economics and money seemed to be the best balanced from TES series, meaning you won't usually become a millionaire in a few days, but most importantly, Oblivion had imo arguably the best quest lines in TES series and that's a huge plus. Yes, the main quest with oblivion gates was terribly annoying and it made me skip it and run through them eventually, but the Mages Guild quests, Thieves Guild and especially Dark Brotherhood were just fantastic. This was also the first TES game where I was fully enjoying myself as a vampire. DLC's were ok, Knights Of The Nine being a nice big quest nicely implemented into the main game and Shivering Isles providing you the experience of something a bit different and a bit trippy. While I can't go for the full score here because of the shortcomings, Oblivion is still an excellent game and it would be a big mistake to miss out on this. 9/10 Expand
  19. Jul 31, 2014
    "Oblivion" is outstanding, even today where it looks somewhat old-fashioned. Back in 2006, it was a true spectacle. Its vast open world full of (mostly) intriguing quests and choices to make is not something seen often in video games of that era. There are two facts I felt uncomfortable with. The first is that "Oblivion", even far better than "Morrowind" does not stay true to the RPG genre"Oblivion" is outstanding, even today where it looks somewhat old-fashioned. Back in 2006, it was a true spectacle. Its vast open world full of (mostly) intriguing quests and choices to make is not something seen often in video games of that era. There are two facts I felt uncomfortable with. The first is that "Oblivion", even far better than "Morrowind" does not stay true to the RPG genre in terms of character development. Your character does not seem to have a personality, and others are awkwardly blind to your actions in spite of some simple reactions related to the plots and the case you have a bounty on your head. The second is its ridiculous plot. Surely behind such an accomplished game there must have been some quite talented creators, but couldn't they come up with something more original, something more thrilling? Despite its flaws, "Oblivion" is undeniably a masterpiece, even from its wonderful cinematic opening. Expand
  20. Jul 16, 2014
    Really awesome,unique RPG game with interesting stories and quests.
    It has great story,graphics,this game can kep you entertained for many many hours.
    And of course,the Expansions,and the moddability launches the game in the sky!
  21. Jul 12, 2014
    Oblivion is mine most favorite TES game (morrowind is really close here) and one of mine most favorite games. This game got awesome world, great RPG system (improved morrowind system, witch is better than system in Skyrim in mine opinion (yes perks were good idea, but the removal of stats was not)). The biggest + this game has are the quests, Dark brotherhood and main quest line areOblivion is mine most favorite TES game (morrowind is really close here) and one of mine most favorite games. This game got awesome world, great RPG system (improved morrowind system, witch is better than system in Skyrim in mine opinion (yes perks were good idea, but the removal of stats was not)). The biggest + this game has are the quests, Dark brotherhood and main quest line are really fun to play and even other factions are solid. The side quests are awesome as well. The only bad think is enemy leveling system, but it can be moded.
    PS:
    I really recommend to mod this game hard, Oblivion got very good mods and it can became a game for a long play.
  22. Jul 8, 2014
    Vanilla Oblivion is nothing outstanding on its own with its poor leveling system and overly saturated visuals. Installing mods makes Oblivion a much better experience overall though. You can then experience the game's interesting questlines without having to run into the aforementioned issues.
  23. Jul 4, 2014
    Одна из самых лучших ролевых игр из когда-либо созданных.

Одна из самых лучших ролевых игр из когда-либо созданных.

The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion – идеальный пример компромисса между свойственной консолям упрощенностью и старыми добрыми традициями компьютерной ролевой школы. Игра, предоставляющая геймеру максимально широкий выбор – как играть и как проводить свою жизнь в этом мире. Главное, что перед нами по-прежнему самая красивая и самая большая ролевая вселенная (онлайновые игры не в счет), полная приключений и интересных возможностей, вселенная, в которой для игрока созданы самые идеальные условия. Серьёзных недостатков у игры просто нет, и не забывайте, что с помощью модов и плагинов можно сделать игру ещё лучше, главное - не переборищть. ;)
  24. Jun 24, 2014
    This is the review of someone who played Skyrim first, then read the negative critics about Skyrim telling that "Oblivion was the **** Skyrim sucks", and who decided to test Oblivion.

I have to say it's very hard to go back in time, and I could never enjoy the game as much as I wanted to. Those ugly faces, my god. The graphics were good for the time, but are pretty bad if you play it now

The quests are better, I have to admit it, and the whole Oblivion plan is what makes it interesting, but I have had a lot of difficulties with the inventory system, the combat and the sounds the hero makes when he/she attacks. I tried to finish it but I couldn't.

Hours of gameplay though, a nice open world, and lots of mobs all over the place

Conclusion : I should have played Oblivion before Skyrim came out !
  25. May 24, 2014
    Really awesome,unique RPG game with interesting stories and quests.
    And of course,the Expansions,and the moddability launches the game in the sky!
  26. May 5, 2014
    This is, by far, one of my favorite games of all time. It was my first sandbox, and for that it holds a special place in my heart. That being said, here is a review without rose tinted glasses:

TL; DR: Main story sucks hard, everything else makes up for it. Cons: The main story BLOWS. I mean it is awful, awful. I literally play enough to get the free horse and do everything

TL; DR: Main story sucks hard, everything else makes up for it.

Cons:
    The main story BLOWS. I mean it is awful, awful. I literally play enough to get the free horse and do everything else. And once you start, the oblivion gates just keep piling up and piling up, which would be fine if there was any variety to them, but there isn't. They do have good loot though...

Loot: meh. I love loot. love it, love it, love it. It isn't in this game.

Fighting: pretty much point and click, click, click, click. Not much brain used here.

Pros:
    Music: amazing!

Fighting: wah? you just said it was bad. Yes, unless using a bow. The bow actually takes into account gravity and distance!!!

Quests: super fun, except for the main one. Daedric quests are the best, oh those funny meddling gods!

Atmosphere/graphics: for the time pretty good. The immersion level is fantastic.

NPCs: most amazing part of this game. Every single NPC you see has their own unique routine. Every freakin' one. Yes, they have similar voices, but come on, for the time this was unheard of. It is this factor that truly makes this game a total immersion.

Guilds: Love 'em. There is a guild for everyone: fighting, magic, murder, mayhem. The world is your oyster!

Monsters: i've read a few reviews and this is a sore spot. People are angry monsters level with you. How is this even an isssue???? Why play a game if it is super easy and you can just run around and one shot things? Go play Wii cooking games if this is a problem for you. Seriously. There is a Barbie game for that console too I think. Go, have fun.

Play this game, especially if you liked either Skyrim or Morrowind. The three build on each other so well.
  27. Apr 16, 2014
    This game stole my life. It's very good and I've lost 150 hours to it. I was totally absorbed. But when I came up to air I realised that immersion is not enough for a game to be in my list of amazing games.
    But there are many bugs (dancing dragon corpses) and a total lack of consequence for your choices.
    If I'm a dark elf, I should be spat at when I'm in Winterhold. If i murder a
    If I'm a dark elf, I should be spat at when I'm in Winterhold. If i murder a villager, I should never be able to return to that village. Plus the dragons are so easy to kill once you figure out a half decent build.
    I found as soon as I got to lvl 30, there was no point in playing anymore. The hardest difficulty was tedium, the next hardest became a walkthrough.
    One thing that really annoyed me was the illusion spell tree. the lvl of an NPC i could spook in some way was listed, but you can't tell what lvl the npcs are. After looking up some online, they don't match the power of the spell. Not a game breaker, but sloppy.
    So I give it a 7 because I loved it at first, but will never want to play it again. So for that reason it doesn't get a higher score.
  28. Mar 21, 2014
    This game is still better quality than some of the games that are produced and released today, although Skyrim was an amazing game I still had way more fun in Oblivion than Skyrim. Although the AI in this game was a bit buggy and sometimes quests bugged out it is so much fun that it is easy to overlook these things. The two bad things about this game is that it's so addictive that you canThis game is still better quality than some of the games that are produced and released today, although Skyrim was an amazing game I still had way more fun in Oblivion than Skyrim. Although the AI in this game was a bit buggy and sometimes quests bugged out it is so much fun that it is easy to overlook these things. The two bad things about this game is that it's so addictive that you can get lost in it for too long and horse armour DLC. Expand
  29. Mar 17, 2014
    This is my second favorite TES games, only surpassed by Skyrim. This game improves on so many of the flaws of Morrowind, which was an incredibly RPG for the time. However, anyone who says Morrowind is still better than this is simply talking out of nostalgia. This is one of the best RPG games ever created, and throws so many recent contenders out the window. Get mods for the graphics andThis is my second favorite TES games, only surpassed by Skyrim. This game improves on so many of the flaws of Morrowind, which was an incredibly RPG for the time. However, anyone who says Morrowind is still better than this is simply talking out of nostalgia. This is one of the best RPG games ever created, and throws so many recent contenders out the window. Get mods for the graphics and HUD, and this will suck up hundreds of your hours. Expand
  30. Mar 16, 2014
    Oblivion is the best game i've ever played. As the fourth entry into the Elder Scrolls series, it certainly improves over Morrowind in almost every way. It's easy to spend hundreds of hours into the game and even more with mods. The lore and quest are all interesting and unique especially the Shivering Isles DLC. Oblivion is the perfect balance between Morrowind and Skyrim and, in myOblivion is the best game i've ever played. As the fourth entry into the Elder Scrolls series, it certainly improves over Morrowind in almost every way. It's easy to spend hundreds of hours into the game and even more with mods. The lore and quest are all interesting and unique especially the Shivering Isles DLC. Oblivion is the perfect balance between Morrowind and Skyrim and, in my opinion, the strongest of the three. Expand
  31. Oct 5, 2012
    The advantage of Oblivion over Skyrim is that game takes itself less seriously and has a MUCH better character devlopment system. Strangely enough, the best way to build the character is to place all the most useless skills as your major talents and then deliberately level up as slowly as possible. By doing so you character gains powers acoss all skill areas, and will not be troubled withThe advantage of Oblivion over Skyrim is that game takes itself less seriously and has a MUCH better character devlopment system. Strangely enough, the best way to build the character is to place all the most useless skills as your major talents and then deliberately level up as slowly as possible. By doing so you character gains powers acoss all skill areas, and will not be troubled with difficulty spikes at all. Rather you will need to bump up the game difficulty as you progress to a demi-god mastering all skill areas. Except for superficial graphics, EVERYTHING in Oblivion is better and more fun than Skyrim. Especially the guild quests, but also such things as the NPC's despite the ridculous encounter interface and the use of only 5 voice actors. Yet the core reason it is MUCH better, is that the player can build their character as they like and can master all fields with no penalty. Crafting and magic in this game is far more potent, interesting and worthwhile than in Skyrim. The Elven Ruins have a far better mood than the Dwarven ones. When you consider how perfect the keybingings and the UI are in this game to how poor they are in Skyrim its clear that it is Oblivion, not Morrowind that marks the highpoint of Bethesda fantasy RPG design. Before they start anything else the team owes it to their fans to spend 12 months making a massive patch to bring all that fails so bad in Skyrim back up to the level they had yet lost with Oblivion. Collapse

1. It’s just so damned big. That’s what you’ll say after playing Oblivion for more than an hour. Or, for that matter, 50 hours.
  2. Oblivion is by far the closest I have come to playing D&D Sunday afternoons with my friends (yes, I did that, though I’m on medication now), all wrapped up in a stunning package with tens of thousands of lines of spoken dialog and good music.
    I honestly have to say that I am in favour of most of the changes and I think Oblivion is an awesome achievement from Bethesda.