8.0

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2098 Ratings

1. Sep 30, 2011
    I can really do without a game telling me on screen that I've reached the entrance to a cave when I'm stood 1 foot away from said entrance. A game where levelling up seems more than a bit pointless. A game where I'm thinking 'why don't they get the guards to do this quest - they're obviously more capable'. A game which threw away many of the great things that its predecessor had. But II can really do without a game telling me on screen that I've reached the entrance to a cave when I'm stood 1 foot away from said entrance. A game where levelling up seems more than a bit pointless. A game where I'm thinking 'why don't they get the guards to do this quest - they're obviously more capable'. A game which threw away many of the great things that its predecessor had. But I can't honestly give this game less than an 8. It's entertaining, engaging and has some replayability and if it grabs you, you will probably spend a lot of time with it. Personally, I found it a lot more enjoyable when I finished the game at level 8 as opposed to level 24., which says it all about the levelling system. Still, at today's prices I would consider it a great buy. Expand
  2. Jul 4, 2011
    revolutionary game that sets the bar so high for open world RPG's that it probably wont be beat by any game except its own sequel. A HUGE open world that has a life of its own. You can take almost any action you can think of. Combat is VASTLY improved compared to morrowind and is much more fun. This is as close to the perfect game as it gets.
  3. Jul 13, 2011
    Oblivion is a great game, but has some sizable setbacks. Gameplay is solid and something you can get easily hooked on. The quests, while moderately unoriginal, are presented in a unique way. Unfortunately, combat is smooth but almost too hard, and the leveling system is flawed and may level you faster than you can keep up. In addition to the flawed leveling system, most new players willOblivion is a great game, but has some sizable setbacks. Gameplay is solid and something you can get easily hooked on. The quests, while moderately unoriginal, are presented in a unique way. Unfortunately, combat is smooth but almost too hard, and the leveling system is flawed and may level you faster than you can keep up. In addition to the flawed leveling system, most new players will have no idea what they're doing, as it doesn't tell you what specializing in a skill will do. Overall, the minor flaws can be overlooked by great overall gameplay, and this is a worthwhile game. Expand
  4. Luke
    Mar 10, 2006
    Are you kidding me if anyone gave this game a lower score then at 10 out of 10 they r nuts its just like morowind with a major graphicall over-hall. This game actualy has a physics engine and its over 100 hrs of gameplay which means ill never finish this one just like i never finished morrowind but at least ill have the time of my life plain it
  5. RaghaB.
    Mar 29, 2010
    I love this argument in the PC community about how games are "dumbed down for consoles." Now i'm sure that this argument works for other games, i dont know im relatively new to PC gaming. What I do know is that it does not work for TES games. Remember Morrowind guys? Yeah it came out on the X-box also. On to Oblivion. Being a huge Morrowind fan i was disappointed with Oblivion. While I love this argument in the PC community about how games are "dumbed down for consoles." Now i'm sure that this argument works for other games, i dont know im relatively new to PC gaming. What I do know is that it does not work for TES games. Remember Morrowind guys? Yeah it came out on the X-box also. On to Oblivion. Being a huge Morrowind fan i was disappointed with Oblivion. While the graphics are better (even on my lower end PC) The addition of the Quick Jump makes the world seem MUCH smaller than that of Morrowind. And the main story line is very repetitive. After what felt like the twentieth Oblivion Gate I said forget it and moved on...until i caught Vampirism and gave up all together. I can still pick up morrowind and play for hours but Oblivion was barely aboe to hold my attension for more than a few hours. The combat system upgrades (spell button FTW!!) and the shinnier graphics do not make up for the fact that Oblivion is not as good as its predecessor. If only Bethesda wold release a patch moving Morrowind into Oblivion's graphics and controls. That would be the perfect game. But hey dreamers can only Dream. Overall its a good game, There are just a few things missing from it that should have been kept in the game. Hopefully Bethesda learns from their mistakes and delvers an epic TES:V. Expand
  6. Sep 18, 2011
    Most engaging game I've ever played. The world is immense and the things to do seem unlimited. I've gotten a lot of playability out of this game. A truly good game for me is one where I can beat it in a different way than my friends will. I love the customization and oblivion has plenty.
  7. Nov 21, 2011
    The world of Oblivion is a seemingly live one. Mountains, caves, and a copious amount of missions would keep anyone busy for hours on end. The sheer beauty of this game is sometimes overshadowed by repetitive voice acting and boring level design; there is no denying the brilliance that comes from looking at the night sky while Jeremy Soule's soundtrack plays in your headphones.
  8. Nov 30, 2011
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is what an RPG should be - compelling story plot, tons of side quest and a large open world to explore. The automatic leveling system leaves something to be desired. But then again, the more you use certain skills, the better you should get at those skills. The graphics leave something to be desired, but eye candy does not make a game great.
  9. Sep 9, 2012
    Amazing game. The plot is nice, nothing we didn't see before, but the freedom of gameplay is something inredible. Your actions really matter and the consequences of yours actions cannot go away. A failed quest iss a failed quest and got its repercussions. Somethings you just can't do, because of class limits. Graphics are outdated, but still very beautiful, and they can be upgraded withAmazing game. The plot is nice, nothing we didn't see before, but the freedom of gameplay is something inredible. Your actions really matter and the consequences of yours actions cannot go away. A failed quest iss a failed quest and got its repercussions. Somethings you just can't do, because of class limits. Graphics are outdated, but still very beautiful, and they can be upgraded with mods. Talking about mods, find some you like from the tons available and that will make you play it for an entire year without repetition. Good deal indeed. Expand
  10. May 24, 2014
    Really awesome,unique RPG game with interesting stories and quests.
    It has great story,graphics,this game can kep you entertained for many many hours.
    And of course,the Expansions,and the moddability launches the game in the sky!
  11. Nov 23, 2011
    I am serious gamer, and for me to have spent 7200+ hours on one game, it must mean that this game is completely perfect. The voice acting is spot on, with all 12 voice actors for the entire game performing perfectly. The animations like combat, speaking and running are all so lifleike, it felt like i was actually in the world of Cyrodill. I recommend this game for casual gamers, seriousI am serious gamer, and for me to have spent 7200+ hours on one game, it must mean that this game is completely perfect. The voice acting is spot on, with all 12 voice actors for the entire game performing perfectly. The animations like combat, speaking and running are all so lifleike, it felt like i was actually in the world of Cyrodill. I recommend this game for casual gamers, serious gamers, posers, people posing to be a poser, kids and beginners, 10/10 Expand
  12. StephenS.
    Dec 9, 2009
    I can honestly say that this is my favorite game possibly created. Amazing graphics and game play, so many possibilities of character creation and everything is reflected on what you do in the game play world. If this was Co-op there would be no other game that could compete with this...
  13. NikitaG
    Jun 19, 2009
    This game is arguably the best game I have ever played in my life. The graphics are amazing, there are many revolutionary features, such as the voice overs, but the thing that really won me over was the depth. I bought this game in 2006, and I still play it today. Unmodded, the game has so much content its just mind blowing, and with along with mods, this game could easily last you This game is arguably the best game I have ever played in my life. The graphics are amazing, there are many revolutionary features, such as the voice overs, but the thing that really won me over was the depth. I bought this game in 2006, and I still play it today. Unmodded, the game has so much content its just mind blowing, and with along with mods, this game could easily last you several years. I have noticed that most people either love this game, or hate it. Oblivion's nonlinear and lack of 'in your face' action makes it boring for some people. But you owe it to yourself, give it a try if you have not. Expand
  14. DavidM
    Jun 23, 2009
    Unmodded the game became tedious with the scaling levling system and I quickly put it down. Months later I modded out the scaling and over 100 hours of play.
  15. EthanKunz
    Jul 28, 2009
    This is probably the best game I've ever played, and I've played them all. While it has some minor flaws in npcs, it makes up for this in almost every other way. What really added to the game for me were the mods that hardcore gamers have been coming up with. I'm still playing it!
  16. MikeM
    Jul 6, 2009
    Amazing game. In order to fully appreciate it though you must have the game for the PC. The mod community is enormous and some mod creators are awesomely talented. 10 out of 10.
  17. LeviA.
    Sep 22, 2009
    This is the best game I have ever played. Ignore the whiny little kids with poor grammar skills that rated it low. They probably played it for about 20 minutes before stopping. The game may also require somewhat of an imagination too play. I have had this game for 4 years and still haven't completed the main quest and I still play it once every week. It is the best game ever made.
  18. BrandonL
    Jan 17, 2010
    The game is simply amazing from start to beginning. Most of the people that rated this game a 0 had never beat the game. People say the leveling system is flawed, It makes it so you don't have to worry about running into a highend area or a lowend area. you are access new gear at higher levels and New weapons. If you never level in this game you will be missing out on everything in The game is simply amazing from start to beginning. Most of the people that rated this game a 0 had never beat the game. People say the leveling system is flawed, It makes it so you don't have to worry about running into a highend area or a lowend area. you are access new gear at higher levels and New weapons. If you never level in this game you will be missing out on everything in the game, well just about..... The combat system is very simple, you can learn new melee moves and spells are a breeze to use. Character customization is very large and creating your own class is a very interesting thing to use. Basically the sky is the limit in this game. Make your own spells and weapons with special abilites. Monsters play very much like you and everything they wear u can take which i really dig that. Quests are very very deep and not just a simple kill this and kill that. the AI plays very well and play similar to you. There is no shortage of things to do. I mean you can beat the game and hundreds and hundreds of quests. Difficulty can be adjusted. The game is user friendly and isn't difficult at all. Works perfectly on a console. It plays unlike any other RPG out there right now, besides fallout of course. PEOPLE WHO GIVE THIS GAME A 0/10 REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT MAKES A GOOD RPG A GOOD RPG!!! this game is amazing, graphics, voice acting, enviroment, combat system are all perfected and are amazing. Expand
  19. EE
    Nov 18, 2009
    Oblivion is an amazing game that lives up to the expectations set down by bethesda's other games such as morrowind and Fallout 3. Amazing graphics, wonderful performance, and hours of great fun. And when you finish with the game, just install a few mods and it is new again! Completely worth $50.
  20. JohnB
    Oct 12, 2009
    The game has a lot of content and enviroments are beautiful. Unfortunately there are some serious flaws. All the npc- characters in the game are ass ugly, generic and they act like robots. There are only adults in the game, and no one has a beard. I'm glad that they didn't include dwarves in this game since they too would propably be as tall as anyone and without beard. The The game has a lot of content and enviroments are beautiful. Unfortunately there are some serious flaws. All the npc- characters in the game are ass ugly, generic and they act like robots. There are only adults in the game, and no one has a beard. I'm glad that they didn't include dwarves in this game since they too would propably be as tall as anyone and without beard. The voice acting is mostly horrendous, and there are 2 or 3 music tracks in the whole game. Expand
  21. RadekK
    Dec 20, 2009
    A little easier and simpler than Morrowind, but I gave 10. I hope that next Elder Scrolls V will be even better.
  22. Oct 28, 2010
    An excellent game, my favorite RPG of all time and perhaps my favorite game.
    I'll try to keep this as short and to the point as possible:
    Pros -Vast and varied world. Those who say it is repetitive honestly have not played the game. There are Jungles, woods, plains and so on. An example of the vastness of the world is emerging from the sewers in the beginning of the game and seeing a
    An excellent game, my favorite RPG of all time and perhaps my favorite game.
    I'll try to keep this as short and to the point as possible:
    Pros
    -Vast and varied world. Those who say it is repetitive honestly have not played the game. There are Jungles, woods, plains and so on. An example of the vastness of the world is emerging from the sewers in the beginning of the game and seeing a snow-peaked mountain far off in the distance. You can go to the top of this mountain. Along the way you may run into a wolf, an ogre, or a friendly Orc living in a well appointed manner.

-The awesome questing system. There are literally hundreds of hours of quests to be found here, all interesting. Whether it's climbing the ranks in the sinister Dark Brotherhood, fighting Mehrunes Dagon, or sorting out a crooked merchant you will be entertained for hours.

-Finally, the graphics and gameplay were amazing for its time. They still look very good unmodded, but modded (specifically with Qarl's texture pack) it looks absolutely amazing. The gameplay is fun, the swordplay is simple but not repetitive, and the magic is entertaining.

Theres are several negatives to this, none of which prevent it from being a 10, but still are worth being mentioned.

-Voice actors. They used (for some obtuse reason) a very small group of voice actors. The voices do become repetitive.

-Dialog system is iffy. Kind of strange

Overall an excellent game. Highly recommend the PC version to anyone who enjoys RPGs or who wants to try something other than Call of Duty.
  23. Apr 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It might be a little late to be writing a review of this game, but I have been playing it on-and-off since practically its release day. To this day, I'm still not sure what all the hype was about.

Let's just say Oblivion was a good game. Good, not great. If you actually play RPGs for the scope and story, probably the biggest drawback of the game is the story. I wouldn't go so far as to call it contrived, but it's not all that great anyways. Actually it's pretty dull, since what you become known for by the citizens of the empire is something you accomplish within the first couple of hours of the game, had no emotional impact or power behind it, and just established the next flaw with Oblivion.

Oblivion gates. The first time I stepped through one, I thought to myself, "Oh wow, this is actually pretty cool." Then I went through another one. Then another one. Then several more. They all look the same. They all have the same mechanic. If there was one part of Oblivion that was uninspired, this was it. They all consist of getting to the top of the central tower, and pulling out a "Sigil Stone" to close the gate. Alright, now let's cycle that them through 9 maps that all look exactly the same, and you'll begin to dread going through any of these gates ever again.

I had a few other issues with the game, such as horseback riding being pretty lame, some so-so dungeons (nothing especially hidden away or secret like there was in Morrowind) and the facial animation and voice acting being the crap they were. But the leveling with your character loot and enemies was insulting. In a game that's supposed to be about go anywhere, do anything, this is an atrocity. Limiting the types of enemies you fight and level of loot you can receive at any given level automatically turns this into an extremely structured game. Sure it prevents getting anything gamebreaking at an early level, but the whole point in adventuring is learning what your strengths and limits are. If, at level 1, you can find a way to beat a level 20 monster, I think you deserve some pretty epic loot for doing so. But this leveling also meant that dungeon crawling was pretty stupid, since there was no incentive to explore other than to "see the dungeon," and they all looked essentially the same within about 3 themes (Aleid ruins, old forts, and caverns/mines).

Now this is not to say Oblivion was a crappy game. Far from it. If you want some excellent story telling and a much better RP experience, check out the... 4 factions. That's right only 4. Thankfully, each questline for the factions was much more enjoyable than the main questline, and each was quite long as well, which makes up for the fact that there are only 4. (I believe that in Morrowind there were upwards of 15, and many of them affected other factions.) And no, I am not counting the Arena. That was not a faction. You just kill people. You can finish it at level 1.

The region of Cyrodiil was quite beautiful, but only some areas shined. According to lore, Cyrodiil is supposed to be a jungle/swamp type of area. In this fashion, I quite enjoyed the areas around Bravil and Leyawiin in the game (and the snowy mountains of Bruma to the north), and Anvil was very pretty, but the rest was more ho-hum classic fantasy affair, and the cities all looked very fabricated and themed. Overall it was not nearly as immersive as Morrwind's quite alien locale, setting, and culture.

So overall, Oblivion was an average game. It definitely felt geared towards console players and much more casual gamers, as was obvious through the main storyline, generic hack'n'slash gameplay, and toned-down classic fantasy setting. But it had some obvious merits for those willing to delve deeper, with some pretty amazing faction questlines, along with some other specific side quests.

I hope 2011's Skyrim shapes up to be more like Morrowind. But if Bethesda stays down the path of Fallout 3, I won't be too irked, since that game was incredibly fun as well. Give us TES fans something good this time, Bethesda!
  24. Dec 15, 2011
    This is a rare and remarkable achievement--a huge, open-ended, complex, detailed role-playing game that's fun to play and a pleasure to behold. Oblivion not only delivers everything that earned the Elder Scrolls series the devoted loyalty of a huge following of fans, but also significantly improves on the weaknesses of its 2002 predecessor, Morrowind. Morrowind earned recognition for beingThis is a rare and remarkable achievement--a huge, open-ended, complex, detailed role-playing game that's fun to play and a pleasure to behold. Oblivion not only delivers everything that earned the Elder Scrolls series the devoted loyalty of a huge following of fans, but also significantly improves on the weaknesses of its 2002 predecessor, Morrowind. Morrowind earned recognition for being one of the best role-playing games in years, but the immersive and long-lasting experience it provided wasn't for everyone. Oblivion is hands-down better, so much so that even those who'd normally have no interest in a role-playing game should find it hard to resist getting swept up in this big, beautiful, meticulously crafted world. Expand
  25. Kronox
    Dec 1, 2009
    Not even gonna speak long on this game, its virtues are obvious. This is an instant classic and a must own on whatever platform you play. Anyone who thinks this is a bad game simply hasn't a clue as to what a good game is and their review is worthless.
  26. Jul 2, 2011
    Where to begin, Oblivion is one of the best games ever created. The joy of exploring a huge open fantasy world is just delicious indeed. Plus Oblivion is very accessible for all you "dumbed-down" types. Be sure to download the essential mods (50+ of those, 4 being my mods, hehe) to create the most awesome open-world RPG ever. Another must play. Don't talk to me about RPGs until you play this.
  27. Jul 5, 2011
    Well what can i say that everyone hasn't Morrowind (Oblivion) is One of the most complex games out there it may be outdated on Graphics but it surpasses most if not all other Role Playing Games on the market when it comes to a big world with almost endless quests and more gear then you can think of. Great game i cant wait until Skyrim comes out to set the new Standard on Role Playing Games.
  28. Aug 22, 2011
    This is a fantastic game with so much replay value. It is a HUGE improvement over the previous ES game, compared to Morrowind it's 100% better. Amazing main storyline, great voice acting, amazing guild quests and many, many great side quests. This game has kept me entertained for literally hundreds of hours. I've had it bug out a few times but after I removed all my mods andThis is a fantastic game with so much replay value. It is a HUGE improvement over the previous ES game, compared to Morrowind it's 100% better. Amazing main storyline, great voice acting, amazing guild quests and many, many great side quests. This game has kept me entertained for literally hundreds of hours. I've had it bug out a few times but after I removed all my mods and reinstalled it played perfectly so i think it was the mods that were screwing it up (which makes me sad because there's a plethora of really cool mods for this game too). So far in playing the un-modded and officially patched game I've run across no bugs whatsoever so I'm not sure what all the complaining is about. Expand
  29. Jan 13, 2012
    The story for the main quest was pathetic at best, Though the side missions had a lot better stories but none were truely great. A ton of bugs and glitches as well as lag, It doesnt help that the game has only 4 patches that dont even fix a majority of the problems the game suffers from.

What saves the game is that it can be modded to add a ton of user created, Which is suprisingly better then most of the content in the game.
  30. Jul 9, 2012
    My personal favourite... The best game I've ever played and I still play... Amazing felling and great gameplay despite the few bugs and glitches in it. After having played more than 100 houres of the game I still have things to do... A great advantage is also the MODING community which adds new cool stuf even now!! Simply AMAZING!!
  31. Jul 25, 2012
    Having now seen what Morrowind was like, I think I'm ready to finalise my score for Oblivion. Let's get the worst parts of Oblivion out of the way first. Compared to both Morrowind and Skyrim; Oblivion feels much more generic and lacking in any distinct theme. I'd say this is because those games both had distinctive cultural themes; being incredibly surreal and Viking-like respectively.Having now seen what Morrowind was like, I think I'm ready to finalise my score for Oblivion. Let's get the worst parts of Oblivion out of the way first. Compared to both Morrowind and Skyrim; Oblivion feels much more generic and lacking in any distinct theme. I'd say this is because those games both had distinctive cultural themes; being incredibly surreal and Viking-like respectively. The quests themselves still have an interesting variety to them, from simple fetch-this quests to more complex place-to-place quests which I think Bethesda should starts focusing on more rather than pad out games with grind missions. The graphics are adequate, but the environments lack any real distinction from one another and characters have a strange uncanny valley look to them during conversation. Voice acting is also uneven, but Bethesda should no longer lose points for that. The combat would indeed be accurate of real-life swordplay if the combatants both fought by slapping each other with pieces of cardboard. Anyway, enough negatively, let's talk positive. As I said, the quests have a nice variety to them and the main story is alright, if uneven. The environments are nicely designed and the scoring is typically excellent. Of course, above all else remains that sense of true, organic open-ended game-play that Bethesda is renowned for. As a whole though, Oblivion is still an excellent game that is let down by a lack of identity among other Beth games. By the way Bethesda, you don't need to pad out the game with radiant quests, you should focus more on making more of though long-winding quests like they had in Morrowind. Skyrim was a step in the right direction, but man up Bethesda! You have nothing to lose if you make another game as unique as Morrowind! Collapse

1. It’s just so damned big. That’s what you’ll say after playing Oblivion for more than an hour. Or, for that matter, 50 hours.
  2. Oblivion is by far the closest I have come to playing D&D Sunday afternoons with my friends (yes, I did that, though I’m on medication now), all wrapped up in a stunning package with tens of thousands of lines of spoken dialog and good music.
    I honestly have to say that I am in favour of most of the changes and I think Oblivion is an awesome achievement from Bethesda.