5.7

Mixed or average reviews- based on 1963 Ratings

1. Apr 4, 2014
    Did you ever play WoW and wished it wouldn't be so boring levelling up? Welcome to the Elder Scrolls Online. It plays very differently from traditional MMOs in the sense that there are not quest hubs. This means that it is up to you to find and explore and by doing so level up. The combat is fantastic, there are no cool down timers. It is up to you to dodge, block, interrupt, cast, heal. It's very hectic and very fun, but also true to the Elder Scrolls Combat formula. Being able to play in first person adds immersion. The graphics are fantastic. All quest texts are voiced. The list goes on and on, in short I couldn't be happier with this game. Expand
  2. Apr 4, 2014
    I honestly made an account just to say, it's really good game, I'm not much of a fan of MMO's, nor do I often enjoy them, However this is one of the few that really makes it really special, the world is beautiful, the combat is great, PvP has been awesome so far, it has quests that aren't always find or kill, it does vary, Character Creation is great, story plays out well and even the community is mature, the subscription fee does put people off but it's still great, I'd almost give it a 10 if it wasn't for the sub fee, I truly believe this is the MMO that Elder Scrolls deserve, that's coming from a fan who has been playing since Daggerfall Expand
  3. Apr 4, 2014
    It is by far the best MMO available right now. But it's not only an MMO, it's a true Elder Scrolls game. If you played Skyrim, Oblivion or Morrowind, you will feel right at home with this game. Combat system is amazing, much more evolved than in other games, the graphics are top notch and yet the game runs perfectly even on lower laptops. There are over 10000 NPCs in the games and all dialogs are spoken! Make no mistake, this is a very high quality MMO, with an amazing quest system. I can honestly say this is the PERFECT MMO! Expand
  4. Apr 4, 2014
    About as good as an Elder Scrolls MMO can be. The crafting is deep and rewarding, the world is large and very alive, the quests are well written and well voice acted, and the combat is fun. For the most part you really can make your own build and play however you want. I'm a melee templar wearing a mix of cloth and plate (think of the vigilants of stendarr in the elder scrolls lore) and it works very well.

I started out hating this game from my experiences in the early beta but the developers listened and really pulled it together in the end. I love this game.
  5. Apr 4, 2014
    I have been playing this game for several days already, and I can say with no doubt: this is an MMO that I have always dreamed to play. The quests are really very interesting and different, and the main storyline is as epic as the storyline in Skyrim. The game is fully voiced, the music is fantastic. TESO is so atmospheric! But what I like most of all is exploration.
    The game is awesome,
    If you really like good MMOs then jus try it! Expand
  6. Apr 4, 2014
    The game for me is PERFECT. I only hope continue support from Zenimax and some quest fixes. I really love AvA, crafting, PvE, dungeons and LORE. Good work Zenimax.
  7. Apr 5, 2014
    First I will get two important points out of the way.
    1. ESO is an MMO. This means if you don't like MMOs you will likely not like this game. If your haven't tried MMOs but are fans of the ES universe then you just might like it.
    2. Pay model is monthly subscription. You may or may not like it but rating a game up or down several points based on this alone is ridiculous.

Rating
    scale: (++++I stand in awe, +++ Excellent, ++Great, +Good, ~So-so, -Poor, --Bad, ---Terrible and ----Pure crap)

Visuals
    Graphics +++ Compared to other MMOs ESO has perhaps the best.
    Art ++++ The detail and variety of art work is amazing. The artist quality of this game is 2nd to none.
    View Distance +++ The large VD makes the areas feel big. Hi/Lo texture transitions blended smoothly.
    User Interface+++ Clean and efficient. I especially like how the compass is used. For +or- there is no mini map.
    Graphics scaling +++ If your computer runs 21/2 year old Skyrim well, it will run ESO well.
    Graphic Options+++ ESO allows considerable tweaking including options like "Depth of Field".

Sound
    Voice acting++The voice acting is quite good. Occasional audio glitches mutes the voice over.
    Music+++ ESO music like other ES games is top notch and implemented nicely.
    Ambient Sounds +++ Be it footsteps, NPCs, casting or etc ESO's soundscape it immersive.

Controls
    Accessibility+++Hot keys and shortcut keys are straight forward. Just remember the "E" key is affirmative and is used a lot.
    Combat++For an MMO, ESO has great combat controls. It is not overly complex yet there is a rewarding learning curve. I do feel a few changes and or tweaking could make this go from great to excellent.

RPG and Character Development
    Skill trees++++I feel Zenimax nailed this. Race, class, armor, weapon and misc skill trees distinctly affect your character but no single set defines your play style or role.
    Leveling+++You gain experience and skills through exploring, questing and using skills/equipment.
    Customization++ There are quite a lot of choices at character creation to customize your face/body. Though each race has a different style of armors and weapons there are no color schemes you can customize them with.

Misc
    Game world+++ ESO's Tamriel is large and open. Lootable containers bookshelves etc are everywhere. There are many nooks and crannies that can be explored.
    PVE+++I think I might be playing a different game them those that complain about boring quests. This game's quest are creative, varied and entertaining. ESO uses phasing quite well to make you feel your actions matter. Will you still have to complete 100s of quest to level to 50 yes.
    PVP+++ I would like to experience more PVP, but the siege battles are epic and the three faction dynamic really adds depth to the PVP. The PVP in ESO is shaping up to be the best since Dark Age of Camelot. Though I need more time to tell and Zenimax will need to continue to evolve ESO's PVP.

Most importantly
    Life draining+++ My wife and really enjoy playing ESO. We've played in beta and early access. We've spent way to many hours playing various MMO's. We like both PVE and PVP. We haven't been pulled into an MMO like this since Burning Crusade came out for WoW.

There are many other fun and refreshing aspects of the game like lock picking. I will not cover them all.
    If you like MMOs and the Elder Scrolls universe this game is intoxicating. If you want a single player romp like Skyrim wait for TES VI. There is nothing earth shattering new or different about ESO compared to other MMOs. Yet small unique things like a very lootable world, 3 faction PVP, locking picking along with the other refined elements makes ESO a joy to play.

I rank ESO at a 9.4. Overall its an excellent game. It used to be Metacritic was a great place to see gamers opinions. Now too many axe grinding trolls found the site and flippantly give a 0 with little to no reasoning why. That leaves users users that actually care the choice to rank the game higher to offset the trolls or give what they honestly feel is a reasonable score.
  8. Apr 4, 2014
    Great questing, gorgeous graphics, slow but deep combat, RvR that is huge and polished and with a clear purpose: give it a try...it will capture you...
  9. Apr 4, 2014
    this game is not for everyone. if you like the elder scrolls series and MMORPGs, and would like to play a game that combine those two, then you are in for a treat. The game is basically skyrim with a different leveling system. Personally, I loved the classes and weapons, and they give a great margin for experimentation. Most combinations work, and thats very impressive. Quests are a little confusing at times, but overall they are different from other mmorpgs, with lots of story and awesome voice acting.

If you play this expecting it to be elder scrolls 6, you're gonna have a bad time. This is a very unique game, if you go far enough to see for yourself, and I hadn't been so hooked up on a game for a long time.

(best launch i've seen on any mmo. most crucial bugs were fixed 2 days after the server opened, and now you can play silky smooth)
  10. Apr 4, 2014
    The game is amazing. Both for MMO and Elder Scrolls players. Zenimax has found a perfect balance of a mix of The Elder Scrolls and the MMO genre. The quests vary from several activities and the dialogues are sublime! Also worth mentioning: the voice acting. The voice acting is amazing and definetely worth listening to, and it's definetely not cheap. If you're bored of PVE then just go to Cyrodiil for some PvP.
    The massive battles with trebuchetes and catapults deliver a great fight for keeps.
    And then you can also capture the keeps around the Imperial City, which let's you crown an emperor.
  11. Apr 4, 2014
    Go into this game expecting Skyrim, expect to be hugely unsatisfied. However, if you come to ESO with a love for Elder Scrolls elements in an MMO setting, expect to be blown away. I'm only at level 17 so there's a lot more to discover. I feel the monthly fee has already been justified as i've clocked in almost 40 hours already. Granted, I'm not going to be able to put that much time in on an average week but if I can put that many hours in on a monthly basis, i'll be very happy. Best MMO on the market. Beautiful graphics for an MMO, but yes Skyrim does look a lot better even unmodded, but Skyrim doesn't have to render a whole world, it only renders what's around you so that's totally understandable. Anyway, can't give much of a review, need to get back to it.

In a nutshell, if you want an MMO that trys and succeeds at new things (interesting quests, brilliant crafting etc) set in a beautiful looking world with Elder Scrolls elements, then definitely pick this one up.
  12. Apr 4, 2014
    Simply a great game !
    Goode PVE !
    Good lore !
    Good combat mecanics !
    Giant map !
    Good PVP !
    Giant PVP MAP !
    And it's Elder Scrolls, lore is so great !
  13. Apr 4, 2014
    Incredible experience. Great graphics and voice acting. Definitely feels like an elder scrolls game. Everyone who's say it's a "disappointment" have obviously played the game for little more than a few minutes. It's amazing how people even say that a few days after early access started when obviously they haven't played the game much. 10/10 from me.
  14. Apr 4, 2014
    After playing the first two beta weekends I had access to, I swore I would never buy this game. After the final two, I was in love. This is a truly amazing game. The combat is wonderful. This is impressive considering how I didn't care for it in the first beta. Modifications made it a keeper. There is a lot of timing and smart attack sequencing involved.

The quests are typical elder
    scrolls. Usually quests are part of 3 or 4 part stories. The character development is interesting. Your class, race, weapons, armor types (light/medium/heavy), and guilds all have their own skill lines, apart from many other skill lines. This allows you a lot of customization where any race and class combination can be any play style.

Playing with others is also great. I have done a few dungeons with guildmates and traded them a lot of items. This is my first MMO experience, and I am finding it very enjoyable.

This doesn't include the PvP which is also wonderful.
  15. Apr 4, 2014
    A fantastic game for those that love The Elder Scrolls AND MMO's. Please understand this is an MMO and if you have only played TES games you opinion might vary.

IMO one of the best MMO's in the last 10 years. Quests are fun, exploring is entertaining, and the story is great. Finally, PVP is all you could ask for in an MMO. I highly recommend this title.
  16. Apr 4, 2014
    This game is amazing. Don't listen to all the people complaining about a sub fee. It's better to pay a small amount and not have to buy an item here and an item there, which ends up costing more in the long run anyway. People are just too dumb to realise that. A perfect mix of MMO and TES. Don't expect Skyrim or Oblivion online, because that wouldn't be possible in an MMO. But this is the best MMO I have played since WoW (played thousands of hours), and the only one worth paying for. The graphics are amazing, the art design is fantastic. A few bugs here and there but they are getting fixed. So much of this game has changed over the past year of development and it's changed for the better because the developers listened to the players. The low average score isn't because it's a bad game, because it truly is fantastic! It's because people are happy to pay $4 a day for a coffee or $15 for a movie ticket for a movie that only goes for 90 minutes, but they go psycho about paying 50c a day for something that provides potentially hundreds or even thousands of hours of fun. Those people aren't the types we want playing anyway. Expand
  17. Apr 4, 2014
    Best PVE I ever seen on a MMORPG, if you like elder scroll games you will love it. Best RVR since Dark Age of Camelot. Intelligent mix between old school and "new school" mechanics. Seriously, if you like elder scroll games, mmorpg, and real RVR, you have to try it.
  18. Apr 4, 2014
    This by far the most impressive MMO I have played. Very smooth and responsive character control and combat, excellent visual presentation and a simple interface for new players, with advanced features for the hardcore. Definitely subscription worthy. I don't see myself playing anything else for a long, long time.
  19. Apr 4, 2014
    I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan. I've played Arena, Daggerfall, Redguard, that really bad one with the online battles, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim with all DLC and expansions. I've created several mods for the last 3, the most popular of which has received over 14,000 downloads. I'm a casual MMO player. I've played World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, The Old Republic and Dark Ages of Camelot. I stopped played MMOs completely about a year ago. I don't know what happened, but I've come to despise MMORPGs. I swore to myself that I'd never do another fetch quest, or get instantly kicked out of a dungeon due to the class I choose (Ok, so maybe I do know why I dislike them now). I had come to prefer adventuring on my own, and the Elder Scrolls filled the gap when I quit MMOs. I spent countless hours exploring, questing, flighting and crafting in the world of Tamirel, as well as countless more tweaking and redesigning parts of the game to my liking, all without having to deal with some of the most rude and immature I met during my time playing online. Not everyone was like that, and I did meet some really friendly people, but finding them was like finding a needle in a haystack. So when the Elder Scrolls Online was announced back in May 2012, I didn't know how to react. One part of me was happy that another TES game was being released so soon after Skyrim and that I would be able to play with friends. The other half, however, dreaded the thought of having to return to MMOs. Elder Scrolls helped me escape from virtual worlds, and now it was pulling me back. Fast-forward to Janurary 2013. A beta sign up page appeared on the game's official website. I quickly rushed to sign up as fast as I could. The site told me that my chances of being invited were very high, due to my high system specs and experience with the series. So I waited. And waited. And waited. My beta invite never came. So I signed up under a different email. It never came. Almost one year later I was invited to a weekend long stress test in the fifth batch of invites. I was overjoyed, I couldn't believe that I was going to be playing the next TES game so soon! That Friday I sat at my computer all day refreshing the 'New' tab of the Elder Scrolls Online subreddit. 2 hours ahead of schedule, the servers went up. I instantly got in, made my character, and waited to be amazed, my earlier fears about the game simply forgotten. And it sucked. The first area, Coldharbour, was poorly written and lacked the most important feature a video game can have, fun. This was not a TES game, it was bland TES-branded shovelware. But for some reason, I kept playing. Around level 7 I started to warm up to the game, pleased with its lack of fetch quests. When I reached level 10, I could enter Cyrodill and fight for my faction in PVP battles. And it was amazing. Working together with 100+ people to capture a keep, defending it and capturing it again using siege weapons is so fun it cannot be described using words. Expand
  20. Apr 4, 2014
    Outstanding, wonderful, magnificent game I love the quest system like skyrim . Nice Personal story, best pvp same as Dark age of Camelot .beautiful graphics .If you like mmos this is one of the best. Really great game Best MMORPG since Wow, don’t let a few negative reviews change your mind, those are mostly people who can't stand a bad launch, and the game itself is awesome. Best gaming experience I had since the start of wow in 2004. I mean all the other competitors on the mmo market. Age of Conan, Warhammer, LotR ,Rift, Guild war 2, Swtor. A solid game that is absolutely worth playing and worth . A few launch glitches but all that will be fix soon , but for a new MMO launch it's really pretty amazing that it went as smoothly as it did. If you love mmo this game for you and if you love elder scroll series also this game for you. Finally this game ESO does things a lot different than the standard mmo. Anything from class building, how you go about your crafting, to stat implementation (which takes a little to understand). Just exploring everywhere and trying different builds alone is incredible, questing is a little different and stay somewhat true to Elder Scrolls style since you can and actually have to find certain quests..i recommend to buy this game was very fun . Expand
  21. Apr 4, 2014
    This game is absolutely amazing! The quests are probably the best I have ever experienced in an MMO and they are on par with quests in both Oblivion and Skyrim.

Well worth a try, you will not be disappointed!
  22. Apr 4, 2014
    Totally addicted already. I'm not sure why people are so angry about the sub. If that's a problem, don't buy the game? Not fair to give it a low score based on that. I play pretty much all the MMOs that are out there, and this one is def. one of the best.
  23. Apr 4, 2014
    The Good:

It's one of the best AAA MMO's currently available. Large scale PvP is best in class. PvE is quite good, lots of variety, very high quality execution, and there are substantial PvE challenges available for solo and group play. The game looks beautiful. The games crafting system is excellent. It supports extremely varied character customization via its character creator.
    Lore and storytelling are strong points. For a game with themepark features it does a good job of supporting exploration, esp. once you get past the starter zones. The combat gameplay is very active, situationally driven, and rewards skillful play in many ways. The gameworld evolves substantially as you quest due to phasing. Solid in game LFG function. The level 15+ zones and the PvP zone are massive.

The not so good:

The games richness comes with substantial complexity. Grouping can be awkward for solo PvE content where phasing is involved. Minimalist UI will not appeal to many competitive gamers that want more information access. 1st person is immersive, but largely impractical for PvP and harder PvE content (the forthcoming addition of a PoV slider should change this for the better). The starter islands (currently optional) provide a decent introduction to gameplay, but are more guided and simplistic in their content presentation than the later zones (basically the gameplay opens up with each subsequent zone).

The Meh:

There is a lot of Elderscrolls in it, but it is an MMO. There are many confused reviewers that insist on reviewing it as a single player title (hint, it's not). It has a subscription. On the plus side, this means the developers should be focused on keeping players subscribed rather than being focused on thinking of gimmicks to get players to spend cash in an item shop, on the minus side, well, you need to pay a subscription fee.
  24. Apr 4, 2014
    Amazing atmosphere, wonderful leveling experience, public dungeons, RvR. A solid, well performing MMO that is true to the Elder Scrolls name. It runs extremely well, encourages exploration due to finding some really neat quests and other items when out in the world, and has a well written story.

I've been waiting for an Elder Scrolls game for a very long time and I am not dissapointed.
  25. Apr 4, 2014
    Zenimax has NAILED IT! Best MMO to date. Hands down. Don't buy into the negative comments- Most of them are complaints about paying a sub fee. $15 a month isn't that big of a deal. You spend that at lunch every day I bet. I will gladly pay as this game has proven itself. And if the additional content lives up, then it will be a game for life for me.
  26. Apr 4, 2014
    There will always be haters for every game, old elder scrolls fans refusing to accept that Bethesda decided to publish a mmo break their hearts.. either way this game is very fun to play with friends, soloable if you are intrested in that too. I do really recommend you to buy this game.
  27. Apr 4, 2014
    If you love lore and adventure of the Elder Scrolls game then ESO is a great place to get lost in. The ability to share this experience with friends and loved ones is exactly the social game that brings people together.
  28. Apr 4, 2014
    Easily the best mmo I've played in many a year and definitely the most immersive one I've ever played period. Would give this game a 9 but I'm knocking off a point for somewhat questionable business practices in the fact that they locked a race behind the collector's edition and have a cash shop like a f2p game when they said they wouldn't do that.

Game itself though - incredible.
  29. Apr 4, 2014
    Honestly one of the closest, most heartfelt games I've played this whole years. People are constantly making mentions of this being a sellout cash cow, but let me tell you, no cash cow would ever dedicate this much coherency, integrity, and closeness to the franchise it's built from. The gameplay itself is also rather unique, with it being completely real time and very open to character builds. While there are few classes, it is very focused on doing whatever the player feels to be fitting for their character or for their playstyle. Mages wear heavy armor, stealthy dps characters can become lifestealing tanks, daedric summoners can also use bows, cc tanks can become healers. Any way you want to play, at least at this point in the game, is effective in the pve so long as you stay coherent to its intentions rather than trying too many things at once.

Fact is, while subscription based mmo's usually fall to microtransaction systems, no matter how it's presented or how you purchase this game, it is a worthy experience and a breath of fresh air for the mmo genre. While no WoW killer, like anything could even kill it, it offers a unique experience while still giving you the nostalgia and wonder of an Elder Scrolls game.
  30. Jun 27, 2014
    Good game with nice atmosphere, beautiful sound and sfx. Interesting quests. Yes, it haven`t same liberty as in single TES, but in lore it`s the same. Unusual combat and crafting system.

Bugs are fixable. And we want more content, but it will be in future.
  31. Apr 4, 2014
    Prepare to have your mind blown. I was skeptical of this game, just like I am of any MMORPG that isn't WoW, and I can tell you that it is 110% better than anything out on the market. I have been playing for the 5 days of early access and my social life has taken a severe hit. GET IT, it is VERY worth the monthly fee (allows them to provide better quality addon content, customer service, etc) ... I am also a fan of the Elder Scrolls games (especially Skyrim and Oblivion) so if you loved the lore or world of those games you will not be disappointed. Why are you still reading this? Go download it. Expand
  32. Apr 4, 2014
    Believe the hype. Finally an MMO that can stand up to WoW. Everyone is burned out on that game and ESO is going to give them a run for their money. This is by far the best MMO I have ever played. The world is stunning, the game play is fun and very different from your traditional MMO (and it's about time someone thought outside the box). There is a real sense of community within the game. Well done Zenimax. Way to prove the nay-sayers dead wrong!! Expand
  33. Apr 4, 2014
    A quality game that made a lot of people think that it is going to incite a revolution amongst today's MMORPGs, and a lot of people were also convinced they are going to see Skyrim Online. Of course - at the end - they were disappointed.
    All in all the game is really good and the scores it's receiving are far too low, unfortunately. I believe the expectations were simply too high.
    Compared to casual Guild Wars 2, this game is terrific and so much better than the former.
    I hope this game stays sub-based and alive for as long as possible, but I also hope that Zenimax will bring us some awesome new expansions.

Oh and by the way, people who only played this game during beta should be restricted from writing reviews. 80% of people that wrote bad reviews are beta-only players and are bashing the game so hard. Disgraceful.
  34. Apr 4, 2014
    First off, all the hate coming at this game is totally undeserved. I played the betas and loved it, so I pre-ordered and have been happy with it thusfar. No MMO has ever launched without bugs and after Oblivion and Skyrim's shaky launches, you'd be an idiot to expect this game to ship in perfect condition. The gameworld is simply too big to catch every conceivable issue before the deadline. That said, I've encountered no game-breaking bugs in the 15 or so hours that I've played in early access, so I have no idea what everyone is whining about.

Gameplay-wise, it feels far more like previous Elder Scrolls games than I had thought an MMO could. It's much like playing Oblivion or Skyrim. The environments are breath-taking, like seriously I stopped and stared and admired the detail of the sun rays cast through the pink tree canopy in the Dominion starting area for like 10 minutes, it's easily the prettiest MMO I've ever played. The combat is just as engaging, but more skill-based than the hack-and-slash approach taken in its single-player predecessors. The NPCs and storylines for each faction are interesting and pull you in to the gameworld.

The crafting is just as fantastic as it was in Skyrim. I love that off the bat, with a new character, I can run out of the city limits, gather materials, and craft myself some nice equipment before carrying on with quests.

Speaking of quests, I've seen "Wah, questing is the same as every other mmo" too much. **** This game is even better voice-acted than Skyrim, first off, each quest-giver delivering a convincing and interesting performance. That said, all the quests feel much more engaging and important than the WoW or GW quest systems this has been compared to. The instancing is also done fantastically. Showing you the devastation of a battle in an encampment that you chose not to defend and saw in fine condition minutes ago was a particularly poignant part of one quest. The experience system is one we've seen before, but too bad, it's a good system, why fix something that's not broken? It's a pillar of RPGs.

In short, because of the Elder Scrolls' storied legacy, people expected far too much from this game and are now bashing on it for being a fun and well-designed MMO instead of some crazy new format of multiplayer gaming that no one has ever seen before. It's like hating on a Ferrari because it doesn't fly and give blow jobs.
  35. Apr 4, 2014
    Special game here. ESO has the best combat the genre has seen, and pvp the genre has not seen on a AAA level in many many years. There are so many things from Lore books to ruins the need discovery. Real exploration here, not the mark on the map garbage.
  36. Apr 4, 2014
    Awesome game, its like the love child of WoW, GW2 and every other decent MMORPG in the last decade. Astonishing in its ambition, and oh boy what a great start on the ride this one will give us. Worth the cover price? yes, worth the subby? surprisingly... yes!
  37. Apr 4, 2014
    Would give a 10 if it the game wasn't shush a money grab fest. However ill pay the monthly fee cause its worth it more then wow that i played for 4 years. I'm actually reading all the quests texts from NPCs cause they are imersive. Game is what i expected and more. I know even there are a few bugs and the end game isn't still perfect i trust Bethesda to know that they will solve game issues. They worked hard to get the game at an acceptable level at the release and hearing the community was they banner. Expand
  38. Apr 4, 2014
    If you are going to play this like an MMO, you may not enjoy it. There is not a huge hotbar, the combat takes actual skill, there's no grinding, classes aren't that dedicated to a certain role etc. If you want an in-depth review, this is it. I've played about 50-60 hours in the game and am level 24 right now.

Questing: Quests are pretty much exactly like an Elder Scrolls game. Fully
    voice-acted with interesting stories. This is the only MMO I have ever played where I didn't just skip through the quest descriptions, so you remember what your character is actually fighting for. There are also three different factions with their own exclusive areas, meaning that even if you do every quest on your faction, you can make other characters in the other factions and do a ton of different quests as well. The story is actually good and gets you into the quests and the people you meet. It makes you actually care about the world. Rare for MMOs, I know.

Combat: You pick a class which offers different skill trees. These skill trees are unique to your class. However, any class can use any armor and any weapon, and these weapons/armors have their own skills and passives. If you wanted to, you could fill your skill bar completely with Weapon and Guild skills (Skills that are from the Fighters/Mages guild, soon Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guilds too). At this point, your class wouldn't even matter. Want to roll Sorcerer to buff your dual-swords with extra fire damage while wearing full plate armor? Go ahead, being a Sorcerer doesn't limit use. Want to play a Nightblade but be a caster? The Siphoning skill tree allows you to use magic are a range, couple that with Mages Guild abilities, weapon abilities and others, and you can be a Nightblade Caster. There's also Werewolves and Vampires which you can turn into after getting infected (You can reverse the effect in a quest or keep it), unlocked a whole nothing slew of skills.

Combat: Combat is very skill-based in this game. Gear matters, of course, but not like in other MMOs where everything is stats. If your enemy is charging a heavy attack, you can block it and stun them. While stunned, if you hit them with a heavy attack, they will be knocked down. If they are charging an unblockable attack, you can shield-bash (All weapon types can do this though) your opponent to stun them. You can block, dodge roll, do light/heavy attack etc. You have 6 skills per weapon, and can have two weapons that you can swap between, giving you a total of 12 skills to use. Two of these will be an Ultimate, bound to the R key, which are very deadly attacks that use their own resource pool. There are no cool-downs on any abilities, everything is based on resource management. You'll run out of mana in 6 casts or so, so you need to watch your resource costs carefully. Sneaking is in the game, and every class gets it. It even works in PvP. If you are behind a person and are sneaking, they will not see you, even if they are in third person mode. Bonus damage is dealt upon hitting from sneak. Combat uses a soft-lock system, meaning you have to actually aim at your enemies to hit them. Spells and arrows will still home-in, per balance (and latency) reasons, so there is no boredom to be found, even if doing a quest that you may not find too interesting, the combat is always there to enjoy immensely.

Graphics: Quite beautiful. Alongside this, it runs very well. I run at 80-90 frames, and in an area with lots of fighting and 50 others players, I stayed at a constant 80FPS. Large battles in Cyrodill run surprisingly well, as opposed to GW2 where everyone would drop down to 20FPS.

Crafting: Very extensive. You have different levels requiring different materials. You can make different "Styles", which are how your equipment you make looks. It's based on race, and each race starts with their own (You can learn the others later through rare lore-books you find as drops/in cupboards/dressers etc). Not only this, but the rarity (Green, Blue, Purple, Gold) affects how the items look! You can have the exact same item, but improving it to the next level can drastically change the appearance of the item. This allows huge re-playability.

Cyrodiil: Cyrodiill is the Alliance vs. Alliance vs. Alliance mode, reminiscent of Dark Age of Camelot. I don't have much experience right now as it's incredibly unbalanced due to most people just PvEing, but it seems fun.

If you are tired of the run-of-the-mill MMOs and are ready for a revolution in MMO games, this is the game. Elder Scrolls Online is the change the industry needed. I recently hit max level in WoW... again, and I realized that even at Endgame, it just was not fun at all. The journey to endgame is worse than the endgame. But ESO, it's actually a fun journey. It's basically an Elder Scrolls game (Specifically Skyrim), but online. I've played around 60 MMOs, and I have played nothing like this. It is truly worth the subscription fee and base price.
  39. Apr 4, 2014
    First, let me just say this is not an Elder Scrolls single player game, it just isn't. For one that would make for a terrible MMO. Could you imagine walking into a building and nothing is in it because you are allowed to pretty much steal everything? That sounds great on paper but once you make something an MMO in general you have to reduce a lot of the features in order to implement other features.

Anyway, now because I clarified that let me say that I have personally had a blast thus far. I think it's different enough with the story telling, combat, and other features to keep you interested. The quests are fun, and the voice acting is top notched. So far the story is quite satisfying and makes you actually fill like you are on an epic adventure; however most MMOs now seem to either have a sandbox setting OR a good story line. Very few games seem to have an epic narrative story line but a sandbox world where you are restricted to separate instances.

This of course leads into instances however where there is serious overcrowding and dozens of people in an area working on the same quest, this can definitely reduce the feel of impact you are making in the world, yet this I believe is a minor thing compared to the atmosphere of the world. So far the villages sometimes change for you when quest happens, and town people might interact with you slightly different based on the quest you have done (not a big change but big enough that it adds flair).

The graphics and the music help immensely with the atmosphere and causes the world to really come alive.

I would give it a ten however there are still some issues, the chat box is hectic, the graphics can sometimes be a little glitchy, and the UI is a bit confusing at first (because it feels a lot different then other mmos).

These of course are just minor things in an overall great game. Hope it will keep my attention for a while.
  40. Apr 4, 2014
    There is a genuine efforts in creating a TES universe in a template of MMO. This game is visually appealing, with interesting storyline/quests presented by NPC with unique personality. The combat is fast-paced and action-packed. The world is rich with lore and details. Plus the add-on to customized your experience, this game offers something for causal and hardcore gamers alike. This game provide the atmosphere to be an immersive single player game with social function to be a fully-fledged MMO. If the developers can keep delivering meaningful expansion as they promised, I can see this game easily justified its price tag. The game will offer player with lots of entertainment for a long time to come. Expand
  41. Apr 4, 2014
    Been having a lot of fun. Really love the elder scrolls feel. Amazing voice acting and great questing. And the graphics are incredible too. One of the most fun leveling experiences I've ever had. 10/10 from me.
  42. Apr 4, 2014
    Best MMO experience since the early days of SWG, EQ and WoW. I really am enjoying almost every part of this game. I hope that things get better from here and this game gets really popular.
  43. Apr 4, 2014
    Everything I wanted in an MMO... to me it feels like it takes good things from several other MMO's and combines them into one great game. Non-Tab targeting system (like Tera's system), full voice acting (like SWTOR), great character class customization (like Rift but TESO is its own). It also has great questing that doesn't feel like the normal go here and kill 7 rabbits.
    I am addicted...
    Nuff said! Expand
  44. Apr 4, 2014
    Is this game for everyone? Apparently not, but it would be for a lot more people if they actually gave it a chance. People seem to be turning it away for minute issues such as the box fee, the sub fee, the cash shop, the Imperial Edition "locking away" a race, initial bugs in Beta, etc. I can see their points but this should not detract from them actually trying the game itself. This is by far the best MMORPG I have played.

Why?

1) Story/Questing. There are hundreds of quests in this game and almost every one of them is comprised of multiple steps, each one a little mini adventure, and then many of them tying into the larger plot and lore of the region. I do not understand at all why people keep calling it a "WOW clone". Quests in WOW comprise of "go kill 10 of these" or "collect 15 of those". These quests are much more like what you would expect from a single player RPG, including Elder Scrolls games. Many involve multiple locations, multiple NPC's, investigating locations, etc. All of these stories are told with top notch voice acting. It doesn't have the cut scene approach of SWTOR but the quests are more involved and much less WOW like than SWTOR.

2) Graphics. The textures are not as good as a recent RPG like Skyrim, but the world is much more varied and just appears for "magical". I got bored with Skyrim after a while with the constant drab colors and repetitive environments. The art design in my eyes is much more interesting than previous Elder Scrolls games and obviously the locales are much more diverse, from island towns to deserts to swamps to volcanoes to the old Skyrim environment. The lighting and shadows I think are even better than Skyrim and the character models, including NPC's and creatures, are incredibly beautiful and detailed. The armor can look "painted on" sometimes, especially lower level armor but there is a huge variety.

3) PVP. Even the "haters" of this game admit that the PVP in this game is some of the best ever seen in a MMORPG. It is based on DAOC, which most gamers see as the epitome of PVP. Cyrodiil is huge, just as big as Oblivion, and not only offers RVR style PVP with siege weapons and keeps, but the zone offers PVE elements including crafting nodes, treasure maps, chests, dungeons, towns with quests, etc.

4) Crafting. I've never seen such an interesting questing system in an MMORPG. There are 6 different crafting categories in this game, all with their own skill lines, something for everyone. Many other games involve picking a profession or two and as you level them by crafting, you can craft higher tier items...brainless. Provisioning involves finding recipes and then cooking at a fire. Alchemy involves experimenting with ingredients by tasting and combining to create potions. Enchanting involves discovering/translating runes and placing them into items. Woodworking/clothing/blacksmithing is the most involved, with multiple steps: Finding racial style books, researching traits from other items, using different materials, and upgrading the item, either quality or tier.

5) Combat. Combo of real time, like Skyrim, and hotbars like traditional MMORPG's. You can block, roll, interrupt, hit hard, hit light, or use special ability skills from numerous skill lines (class, weapon, armor, guild, PVP, etc.). This makes for a very dynamic system that never gets boring. Combat is often not easy either...not just 1 button mashing.

6) Character development. The game has a very involved character creation system with 10 different races and 4 different classes, with sliders for everything to add a unique look. You then gain XP which gains levels and grants a skill point and an attribute point. There are numerous skill lines including one for each class of armor and each weapon type, each guild (with more to come), PVP, each profession, and unique skill lines for if you become a vampire or werewolf. Any class can use any armor or weapon and can fill the role of DPS, tank, or healer depending on your decisions.

7) Little touches and diverse content. There is so much to do in this world including dark anchors and fissures for group combat, solo dungeons, public group dungeons, instanced group dungeons, world bosses. There is fishing, lore books, notes/journals, small items to pick up, sky shards for extra skill points, locked treasure chests with its own lockpicking minigame, hidden treasure chests with their own treasure maps pointing to them, and small items to pick up like bottles and carrots.

8) The future. ESO is against "raiding" which I love. ESO is going to offer "adventure zones" which are large outdoor areas for small to large groups offering more detailed quests, caves, dungeons, world bosses, etc., for end game, that can be repeated. The developers thus far offer "DLC caliber content release" every 4-6 weeks as well so it will continue to grow. It has its bugs and is not perfect, but like all MMORPG's at launch, it is in its infancy and will continue to improve/grow.
  45. Apr 4, 2014
    I am pleasantly surprised in this game. I'm an adventurer by heart, yes, I enjoy a bit of endgame, but grinding the same few instances over and over for loot only to be used on those same instances has lost it's appeal to me. This is exactly why ESO shines for me. This is the most entertaining story and environment rich MMO I've played in a decade. The tutorial area and starter island do not do the final product justice, once you get to level 10+ you will see what I mean. The PVP seems great, but most of my time is spent just exploring and collecting. I'd give this an honest 9, but because of all of the ridiculous 0's... I have to get a little political and throw it a 10. Expand
  46. Apr 4, 2014
    bad ass just bad if u like the elder u will love this a 10 and I love the combat ......................................................................................................................................................
  47. Apr 4, 2014
    It has been years since an MMO released that pushed the genre forwards and did something new, that is what ESO has done. The way that they have created an MMO while staying true to the Elder Scrolls series is just perfect, any true fan of the series will see it straight away. The release went pretty much flawlessly, which is quite rare. I look forward to many years of ESO's many years of success and development, I've been playing MMOs for years and have never been as amazed with any game as I was when I first stepped into the world of ESO. Finally the MMO genre is moving forward and doing something new, proving that all the generic MMOs before it don't have to be that way and hopefully ESO will inspire other MMOs to try something different, because clearly it works. Expand
  48. Apr 5, 2014
    This game is amazing. The graphics are not quite at Skyrim quality, but the scope is far bigger. Everything is out in the open, it seems. There are massive corridors with excellent architecture, and the lands are varied and massive. The game world is incredibly big, and there are tons, and tons, and tons of quest in every single region. The gameplay is excellent, too. The combat is surprisingly deep for an MMO and Elder Scrolls game, and the possible builds are truly endless. While you start off with a race and one of four classes (which may not seem like much to choose from at first), it soon becomes apparent that those are just basic templates that can be molded at will. The amount of variation and customization available as you build your character is impressive. The crafting system is deep, as well.

Overall, this is an excellent game with a lot more content on the way. Highly recommended.
  49. Apr 4, 2014
    During beta i was left unimpressed, but i decided to get the game anyway. Best decision I've made in a long time, the more you play the more awesome the game becomes, and i don't even like tes games.

I feel they shouldn't had done the beta, because you really need to get up over lvl 15 or even 20 before the game really comes into it's own.

I was pretty vocal about the game being bad
    from beta experience, but every man can have a standpoint til he takes a new, and i'm glad i decided to get it anyway.

i'm not a TES player although i did play through Skyrim, but i've played almost all (larger) mmorrpg on the marked, and not only is eso an awesome tes game but it is the best mmo i've experienced to date. whether or not this holds true many months from now i can't say, but it's definitely worth the box price.
  50. Apr 4, 2014
    The Elder Scrolls Online is great, modern MMORPG. The posts about people maxing their characters are lies. There is more to do in ESO while you're leveling than the majority of MMOs and it is more involved than any WoW quest.

In addition to the great quest system are public dungeons, skyshards, and elite monsters that reward exploration.
  51. Apr 4, 2014
    Here's a quick breakdown of the game...
    Take the basic gameplay principles of The Elder Scrolls single player games and add it to a MMORPG game world foundation and you have The Elder Scrolls Online. If that premise interest you, go buy it now
  52. Apr 4, 2014
    We can finally say, a TRUE WoW KILLER! ;) I had tons of doubts leading up to the release and during the betas of TESO, and I honestly didn't plan on purchasing it, but I gave it a shot at the last second; and I am so happy I did! I have played just about every MMO out there since back in the early and good days of WoW, and all of them had me bored within a few hours. I don't know what it was, but I just couldn't stand them. Up until this day, I just continued to play WoW off and on. But I can 100% positively say, WoW no more! I don't know what it is about TESO, but it is just.. amazing! It is finally bringing the challenge, RPG elements, and a beautiful world back into the MMORPG genre. The world is gorgeous and massive, the community is thriving, the first person view is perfect, and the game is very immersing. I haven't been able to get immersed into an MMORPG since TBC in WoW, but this game will get you immersed in no time! Of course the game isn't perfect, but it is by far just about the best if not the best MMORPG on the market. It does have a different feel than other MMOs, but it's a good one. The combat system for instance; people say it is clunky and not good. But I am enjoying it! It has a real, and awesome feel to it. It's basically just like Skyrim's Combat System which I loved. But.. I'm still very new to the game, so I can't speak for tons of the content/dungeons/pvp just yet, but just from questing for a couple of days; surprisingly.. I am LOVING THIS GAME! =) Expand
  53. Apr 4, 2014
    First of all, this game is not like regular MMOs. If what you like in an MMO is raiding and farming gear this game is probably not for you, on the other hand if you like exploring, questing, crafting this game is for you! The quests are varied, well scripted, you have choices to make who will impact other quests later. You can craft everything, potions, armors, weapons and customize them. Exploring is rewarding you can find treasure chests, hidden quests,... Expand
  54. Apr 4, 2014
    This game is incredible. I really think the negative feedback is coming from people who haven't played past beta, or haters who just want this game to be skyrim. Get over it... this is an MMO people! Seriously, give this game a real chance. Definitely the most fun I have had in a long time. Not your cookie cutter MMO and in every good way imaginable.
  55. Apr 4, 2014
    I was absolutely floored by Elder Scrolls Online for one reason: it made me feel so much immersion I literally forgot where I was for hours at a time, to an extent no other MMO has done for me since Wrath of the Lich King. It has its flaws, glitches, its generic MMOness but this game has definitely done one thing right: it is thoroughly an Elder Scrolls game! I am a veteran of Oblivion and Skyrim and after spending long hours of my youth slaying mudcrabs and reading about Lusty Argonian Maids, I had very high hopes for ESO. I can tell you this: if you are a Lore nazi, you will hate this game. It has a few glaring holes in its Lore consistency. However, if you can live with the explanation that maybe Sheogorath just wiped the memory of every historian living in the era because he felt like it, (which I hope most of you can, that Sheiogorath is a tricky fellow), then jump in and join a living, breathing Tamriel on the scope we have all dreamed of since those dark nights in our parents' basements, wiping cheeto dust from our fingers and staring at our screens in wonder thinking, "This would be so awesome if my friends could join me in Elder Scrolls!" Expand
  56. Apr 5, 2014
    MUST HAVE! The game is the best and most addicting MMO i've played in years! And i've played all triple A MMOs that have come out. Great story, impressive graphics, unique combat and crafting system, awesome questing that will not make you get bored at all.

All those zero scores are ether coming from WoW/Wildstar fanboys trying to burn the score of the game, or from people that thought
    this would be a "single player" game... Expand
  57. Apr 4, 2014
    AMAZING, truly worth of the Elder Scrolls title and a new fierce combatant in the MMO arena, which I think will last due to the fact that it is just so god damn fun to play. While some fans (who have probably not played the game past the opening levels of the BETA, or haven't played it at all) will probably come here just to **** all over the game, but the truth is, it is a deep and complex RPG with an MMO approach and lots Elder Scrolls Mechanics mixed in. It is also important to note that the game looks visually wonderful, however, the best thing about it, besides its fantastic PvP is the story. There has never been so many good stories in an MMO or an Elder Scrolls game. Each of the 15 zones have their own main stories, beside the numerous side quests and these stories are really, really good and even get you invested into the characters and make you think about the decisions, even though they may not affect the gameplay that much.

Boot line; the game is just really, REALLY fun. The quests are fun, group dungeons are fun, the PvP is fun, the combat is engaging past the first zone at least), the graphics are pretty good, the classic TES exploration is there, the story is engaging... I could just go on and on about how good I find this game to be. Yes, it does come with a bugfest and that's pretty much to be expected, since it IS an MMO (and a TES game at that). This game deserves my 10/10.
  58. Apr 4, 2014
    Amazing atmospheric ,some old-school game ,in dark colors and without anime stupid faces .With beautiful PVE and badass PVP. Game has some bugs - but I hope creators will fix that quickly its just a start.
  59. Apr 4, 2014
    No its not Skyrim copy and pasted on an MMO. No one should have been expecting that.

This game is a great MMO though, and old school players will have a great surprise when playing.
  60. Apr 4, 2014
    The game is great so far. I give it a 10/10. It's way better then I was expecting. Can't wait to see what else they put out in the future. I definitely recommend picking it up.
  61. Apr 4, 2014
    I personally enjoy the game a lot. I understand there are flaws to be fixed but I don't think I have ever played a game that has reached perfection. The lore is to die for :)
  62. koh
    Apr 4, 2014
    Very fun so far, can't wait to see all of tamriel. Best MMO I have ever played, well worth the money..............................................................
  63. Apr 4, 2014
    The Elder Scrolls Online is a Fantastic game. The game is very immersive with a great world to enjoy. The game feels like a great hybrid between single player RPG's and MMORPG's. If you're a hardcore Elder Scrolls fan you may not like some of the compromises that were made in order to make the game an MMO, but by an large it doesn't in any way pull the game down. The game gives a great sense of character progression that very much feels like you would be playing a single player game. Although it doesn't do to much to innovate the mmo genre it doesn't feel generic. So if you're tire of the same old Warcraft style MMO's, ESO may feel a bit more fresh. The main selling point of this game though is it's absolutely fantastic PvP.

The PvP in ESO is probably the best in any MMO to date. To describe it, it's very much seems to be a spiritual successor to the MMO "Dark Age of Camelot". Think of it as a medevil Planetside 2. The battles are absolutely "Epic" in the truest sense of the word. Imagine three different factions, each with at least two hundred to four hundred people all battling for a single keep. It's honestly something that hast to be experienced. The harsh death penalty and long walks between keeps prevent's zerging and makes every kill matter that much more. What really adds to the PvP though is the skill system and combat. In ESO you have a LOT of freedom when it comes to customizing you're character skills. With three different skill trees for each class plus passives, and weapon skills, racial passives, and armor passives, all of which can be morphed into one of two separate skills. make the possibilities almost endless. It's very intuitive to choose you're class and make YOUR build based around the weapon's armor's that you choose and try and create a synergy! That diversity get's rid of cookie cutter builds and adds for a deep meta-game. There is no best build! Sure some builds will be stronger than other's, but with the amount of choice if someone where to make an overpowered build someone would simply create a counter build thus causing a change in the meta. That system will greatly increase the longevity of this game. Many people would like to bring up that due to the lack of fifty-billion skills you end up "spamming" a lot. I'm happy to report that this is far from what I have persevered. Every skill has a situational use to it and with the addition of having to manage you're manna and stamina, you have to think about what skill you are going to use and how you are going to use it which adds a whole new layer of depth to the already deep skill system. Even with the large battles in ESO you can still feel like you're greatly contributing with you're individual actions. And even if you don't want to always be in these huge epic battles, Cyrodiil which is the huge, massive map that PvP takes place in, is so large that you will often run into solo enemy player's, isolated small groups and isolated combat. There is so SO much to do in Cyrodiil, with not only a large amount of PvP battles but a large amount of PvE content, quests and caves to look for and explore. Another thing that add's to the PvP is the amazing crafting system. Crafting in this game is very meaning full and is truly a step up from past mmo's. Instead of crafting fifty grey copper boot's that you sell to a vendor much of what you make is very useful. It's actually important to have expert crafter's in you're build in order to provide proper gear for everyone. And in fact some of the best gear in the entire game is craftable. Crafter's will have to work to look for locations that add special enchant's to gear and work to get the best ingredients. And all this hard work goes to helping provide good gear to you and you're faction.

In conclusion, The Elder Scrolls Online is a fantastic MMORPG that is worth the buy. Do not get on board the despicable anti-hype train of ignorant people bashing the game, they either haven't played it or only played a little bit off the beta. It's aimless hate that holds no ground. So pick up The Elder Scrolls Online for the best PvP experience every and an all around great MMO!
  64. Apr 5, 2014
    This game is amazing. It's everything I've been waiting for and I can't get enough of it. Definitely my favorite game and I plan on playing it a very long time. The people who,don't like the game are looking at it all wrong. It's not supposed to be like other mmo's at all, or even another TES game. It's a unique game and is one of the best games. I highly recommend it and I also recommend not to listed to the misinformed people talking crap or the handful of people that come online to complain and talk crap. They are in the minority. If you don't play this game, you are only missing out and I feel sorry for you. Worth every penny

The devs are also very quick to fix issues and responsive to the community. This game definitely has a big road ahead of it.
  65. Apr 7, 2014
    I have reviewed the game on April 5th but I have now played it some more and it's better than I initially thought. I have played World of Warcraft but I got a bit fed up of the cartoon style visuals in the game and graphically The Elder Scrolls Online is a big improvement over the visuals in World of Warcraft.

So if you enjoy the single player Elder Scrolls games and also have or still
    enjoy massively multiplayer online player role playing games then I do suggest you give The Elder Scrolls Online a go... Expand
  66. Apr 4, 2014
    The game is an awesome piece of art. Interesting quests with variety, unique crafting system, beautiful dungeons, great combat system. I've played many MMOs (including a lot of triple A) and this one does stand out. All those who scared a 0, are probably people who loved TESO and they expected to play another single player game, sorry but this is an online game, it's an MMO, and it's a great one.
  67. Apr 4, 2014
    I'm surprised that I'm enjoying playing The Elder Scrolls Online. It seems like the longer I play the game I discover more and more things to do and resulting for me to love the game more and more. I initially started the beta not liking the game as it seems like it's so complicated, but now I'm having a blast. Awesome game, it's non-linear and you're not limited to whatever you want to do. Good job Bethesda and ZeniMax. Expand
  68. Apr 4, 2014
    I have been having a ton of fun playing The Elder Scrolls Online. It is definitely not a WoW clone like so many MMOs these days are. The game is quite beautiful and the quests are well written and sometimes are very humorous. The combat feels good, and PvP is quite fun.
  69. Apr 5, 2014
    Is it Skyrim II? No. If you are expecting an online version of Skyrim, you will be disappointed.

Is it an MMO? Yes. If you enjoy playing MMOs and like/love The Elder Scrolls series, this game is a good bridge until TES VI. The graphics are great and the gameplay is good. It is still version 1.xx so it won't be as polished as other MMOs that have been around for years. it's
    inevitable that any new MMO will be compared to WoW right? ESO has has promise if given time to bloom.

I haven't reached max level yet so my opinion may change when I hit end game but I like what I've been playing during the past week (in early access through launch). Btw, smoothest launch of a major MMO ever?
  70. Apr 5, 2014
    Most addicted I have been since WOW beta and Vanilla Release. It is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Graphics are some of the best out there for an MMO. Sound and music is top notch. One of the smoothest releases in any MMO. No queue times which has been unheard of. No worrying about server selection. So many different ways to level and for an explorer this is the best MMO out there. Combat to me is better than the single player games. All of our guild is having a blast. Expand
  71. Apr 7, 2014
    Let me put it this way: This game can not be fully explained, only experienced. It looks beautiful, it sounds beautiful, and combat makes you feel like a badass.

Combat is incredible. I'll be attacking a guy when I see another enemy with a huge 2 handed sword rearing back for a power attack. I bash the guy I'm fighting, then turn to block the power attacking coward to the side of me,
    and I hear an EXTREMELY satisfying "CLANK" onto my shield, effectively stunning him. I then counter him with a power slash of my own, knocking him, in his vulnerable state, to the ground. Honestly, the combat feels like Assassin's Creed at times, when you're actually doing it right, with blocks and rolls.

And the rolls come in handy. Some enemy telegraphs are very punishing. Some of them deal devastating damage, while other will knock you down for several seconds, leaving you at the mercy of enemy blows.

Magic combat? Awesome. You can feel very glass cannon-like as you root enemies and hide behind the tank, or you can get up close and personal. Actually, that leads me to one of the coolest part of the game..

Skill lines. Yes, there are 4 classes in the game. That means very little. You play however the Hell you want to play. I did a dungeon with a sorcerer who was wearing full plate armor and a 2 handed mace. She would charge the enemy, knock them down, strike them with LIGHTING from the SKY, and then knock the enemy back on their ass with an uppercut of her giant mace. Yes. She was a sorcerer. Well, she was a "sorcerer".

The Nightblade class is probably perceived as the "rogue" class, but I've seen Nightblades in full plate, focusing on health stealing skills from the nightblade siphoning tree, and they weren't rogue at all. In fact, you can make an amazing Shadowknight. Cutting enemies down with a greatsword while stealing their health with DOTs to sustain your carnage.

Want to make a ranger? Make a sorcerer to summon a powerful pet, and go deep into the bow and arrow skill line. Congratulations. You're a badass Ranger.

Any race can be any class, use any skill line, wear any armor, and use any weapon. However, you must make some sort of commitment to unlock your full potential. Heavy armor skill line helps survival, but it doesn't really help you with mana efficiency or spell effectiveness. How do we fix this? Enchant your heavy armor with caster stats! And how about MAKING your own armor?

The ESO crafting system is the best crafting system I've ever seen in any MMO, ever. It is so fun, easy, rewarding, and you can make so many different looking sets of armor. You can create and wear FULL nordic medium armor, or FULL orcish plate, or you can wear dark elf leather armor with an Argonian cloth hood.

This game is all about immersion and freedom. When you ask for DPS for a dungeon and a dragonknight in cloth shows up, you have no right to say "Hey, DKs don't wear cloth!" Just wait, that person may shock you with their unique playstyle.

Buy a horse, upgrade it. Find unique armor, destroy it at a forge to research it's traits so that you can now MAKE that type of armor, adventure around zones doing the huuuuge number of fun quests, go do the beautiful dungeons, kill some critter and use their guts to fish off of a pier. Use the fish to make that fish stew that you just learned from the recipe that you found in the chest that was hidden under that bridge over the lava pool.

Oh.. The chests.. When you find a chest, your heart skips a beat. Be ready, though. You must pick the chests. If you fail, someone may be right behind you to steal your loot!

This game is borderline perfect, it's worth 15 bucks a month, and I honestly feel sorry for people who love MMOs and/OR Skyrim and aren't playing this game.

Do it, guys. This game is GOLDEN. 10 out of 10.

My only complaint at first was that my shield was very small.. Guess what? It was a noob shield. When I got level 34 and started crafting with dwarven ore, my shield got bigger. So, for now, I can't complain.
  72. Apr 7, 2014
    Good : Huge game, tons of content, action packed, varied locations, interesting skill trees, 1st and 3rd person play styles, simple interface, Elder Scrolls!, dodging and blocking matter, good storyline, intuitive menus, fully voice acted, colourful, high standard graphics, time vampire, perfect rescue from the real world, _________ Bad : Seen this style of game before, can be overwhelming, need MMO experience to get the most out of it, the usual people moan all the time, no auction house, gold sellers already, melee collision detection isn't the best, not enough gold to buy stuff, toon animation disappointing, quest bugs, server downtime, still not as good as WoW, Expand
  73. Apr 5, 2014
    This game is like crack.

But honestly, a lot of the negative reviews don't like the fact that its not the next skyrim....and its not.

It's the bastard child of an mmo and the elder scrolls.

All i can say is you should play it yourself to see if you like it, its worth the 60$ up front. You will definitely get your moneys worth for 60$. If you subscribe after, only you can decide.
  74. Apr 5, 2014
    Everything is in the title, The Elder Scrolls Online.
    This game is awesome, and I recommend it to every MMO and RPG players.
    If you like the Elder Scrolls series, PvE will definitely give you the same experience to a certain degree.
    And the PvP zone is absolutely fun, conquering keeps and raiding supply buildings.
  75. Apr 5, 2014
    the game is great I just wish people stop compering it to skyrim and try to see it as an mmo and give it a change . yeah you may not like the game but is not fair trashing the hard work of so many people.
  76. Apr 6, 2014
    Don't listen to the negatives. This game looks better than vanilla Skyrim & the quests are a lot more fun.

Oh yeah Its also 600+ hours of gameplay if you play all 3 alliances with 25 maps that are about 1/2 the size of Skyrim.

If you're looking for a epic adventure look no further.
  77. Apr 7, 2014
    If you dive into this game expecting "Skyrim 2", or an MMO with revolutionary combat that's brand new to MMO's, you'll find yourself somewhat disappointed.

That being said, dive into this game and enjoy it for what it is - an Elder Scrolls game, and chances are you'll be having a blast. The game feels and looks like the three last ES games. The world, the lore, and the quests are all
    the best in any MMO I have played so far. Naturally, ES has a lot of lore, but Zenimax has done a grand job of implementing this into their game, and even putting a few of MK's obscure lore bits in there too.

The questing is the best in any MMO I have played thus far. All of the quest givers are fully voiced with voice actors who for the most part does a fantastic job. The NPCs you meet has character, personalities, and it immerses you into the quests like no other MMO.

Questing isn't the only way to level in this game, you can explore the world too, which you're rewarded heavily for. The world is dotted with chests to find, crafting materials and ingredients, skyshards (which gives you a skill point) and quests you may not have found otherwise. All the areas are huge, and are properly fleshed out to provide a great experience.

In terms of combat - initially, chances are that it won't impress you. As you start out the game, you won't have all manner of skills, and you won't yet understand just how many you can unlock, and there are a lot. Once you hit around level 10, when you unlock a majority of skills for your class/weapon, you will truly appreciate just how deep the skillsystem is in this game, and the amount of variety it has.

Crafting. Ahhh crafting. They have really hit the nail on the head with this one. There are 6 lot of professions (Clothing, blacksmithing, woodworking, alchemy, enchanting, provisioning) in the game, who are all incredibly usefull. Crafting plays a big part in the game, as you can actually craft set items, and also create extremly powerful gear that can match that of which you find in dungeons or otherwise. The crafting system is deep, fleshed out, and fun.

In the end, I think it's fair to say that ESO is a pretty damn good MMO. Though it does have some bugs at this writing moment, the amount of potential and effort in this game is quite baffling. The game, is absolutely, definitely, a great game.
  78. Apr 7, 2014
    I'd gone into the game not expecting great things, having read some scathing reviews online.

Boy were they wrong. In fact in many cases they turned out to be factually inaccurate. Why people would feel the need to lie about a game is beyond me and seems rather pathetic. The game is brilliant. The vastly inflating numbers of people jumping in say it all. As someone who played WoW for
    MANY years, and has consistently failed to find a game to replace it since, I finally feel this is it. The more you play it the more depth this game gives you, and the more surprises are revealed. It really is a fantastic game.

The graphics are beautiful for an MMO, and have lovely detail and appeal. I love the way you can branch out and explore, and the game rewards you for it. Side quests, hidden goodies, lore for mages guild progression. I love how it's not like those boring MMOs where you have to kill 10 mobs, collect 10 parts etc all the time.

To not like this game would be near impossible. If I had to complain about anything, it would be that more games should be like this.

As a Skyrim fan there were parts that made me laugh - Sheogorath is brilliant and funny. Questing for the wabberjack was great, and the icy tomb was a massive Skyrim throwback, but has all the parts you wish were in Skyrim too.

Long term appeal is pretty much a sure thing. I'm not going to cover the massive amount of planned content to be added to the game, a huge benefit of a subscription based title, which will ensure longer term appeal. The current content is plenty big enough already. To boot, the flexibility in character design is HUGE. So many different combinations and builds, I've already started experimenting with alts, and loving every one of them. That alone is something that hasn't had much appeal since the days of WoW.

Bugs - there are a few at the moment. That is to be expected. Despite that, I'm giving it a 10 - the key bit for me is that I see them being worked on very quickly and they are actively tackling them. For me that means a game that will rapidly improve and grow. With all the game has to offer already, this is the icing on the cake.

The voice acting is brilliant, and in some cases hilarious. Really a very very good job all round.

Simply look into it for yourself or ask around - odds are if you don't know someone who already owns it, you will do shortly. Take a look for yourself before being swayed by empty reviews such as "It's boring because I find all MMOs boring"
  79. Apr 8, 2014
    I have loved the elder scrolls series and was not really a supporter of them making an MMO, mainly because of the fact that the MMOs currently on the market are mostly about requiring us as the supposed "RPG" player getting cookie cutter specs from websites to them mindlessly push the buttons for that supposed "DPS" glory, well i'm not into that .... when I go for an RPG MMO then I expect the RPG element to be at the forefront of the experience. Grinding certain combos of keys to get good DPS is not my idea of a good MMO. What we see in the MMO market today is the established concept of just grinding through the levels with no connection to the story and absolutely no interaction with the environment.

ESO is far from that and it is surprisingly really very good. It is to a great extent what I want an elder scrolls MMO to be! I love the environments, the characters are memorable, the graphics are top notch and the environment is open and INTERACTIVE. This for me is what I always wanted RPG MMOs to be. I'm so glad that my favorite gaming series did not disappoint.
  80. Apr 5, 2014
    Very enjoyable game, Doesn't feel like the typical MMO. If you like Elder scrolls AND MMO's, i think you will enjoy this. You actually have to Explore to find resources loot, and places. You are actually rewarded for exploring, as opposed to just, teleporting around. Love the Combat system, no more point and click boredom.

Some interesting things such as the treasure maps, they are kind
    of like the Red Dead Redemption treasure maps, which make it a lot of fun, and can be quite difficult. The PVP system is top notch in my opinion, it has a very unique game play style in the sense that you actually have goals for your faction, invading a keep, defending a keep, keeping your factions elder scrolls, putting up one of your Faction's players as emperor, etc. As opposed to the typical MMO PVP, where one just runs around and kills other players where the only goal is your K/D count.

Did I mention that the PvE is actually worth playing? No more plowing through a hoard of 15 enemies and coming out with 3/4's of your health. From my experience, this is a game where if you accidentally bait more than 1 or 2 creatures...you are Dead. Death has a nice penalty as well, just like in all elderscrolls games, you die, all of your items lose durability, and can be very expensive to have them repaired, which adds more of a " Oh crap, I cannot die" feel to the game, that it seems many games lack.

There is also end game content which i have not reached beyond the PVP, Some of them are known as "Veteran dungeons", as well as "adventure zones" Which are supposed to include up to 150 hours of Questing per faction. ( each faction has a different "adventure zone" That makes it 450 Hours of End game content between the three factions)

Overall, i recommend it, yes there is a monthly subscription, but really, it is hte only way a game like this can work, massive server clusters aren't cheap, and neither are the people who administer and help to maintain them. Plus let's not kid ourselves, we all know a bit of it goes tot he higher ups for a nice bonus, but that is called Reality.

P.S. I have been in the Beta since Early November, I have plenty of game time logged. I am not someone who played simply for 5 minutes, then decided to write a review. I remember when the Voices, weren't even filled with Voice actors...
  81. Apr 5, 2014
    After reading through the negative reviews I can tell the majority of them are due to either the subscription model, pre-purchase incentives, or the reviewer played for 10 minutes and didn't get immediately hooked. I'm not going to talk about the preorder stuff even though I don't agree with what they did. The gameplay is what's important and it's fantastic. The quests have the great writing and backstory that is familiar to elder scrolls fans and they are varied enough to keep things interesting. The problem is the weak beginning. The game didn't really hook me until level 15 or so which is disappointing since that is several hours into the game. The amount of content is crazy and couple that with one of the best crafting and pvp systems I've seen in a long time and I think this will be a very popular game with a hardcore following. Expand
  82. Apr 7, 2014
    Good game. Great for MMO, and I believe worth the sub. Just don't go in expcting Skyrim Online. Very good combat, massively improved since beta. Storyline is great. and the lore is the most detailed and expansive in MMO genre.
  83. Apr 4, 2014
    Great game i don't know why anyone is hating on it but i would suggest just look at videos online and see the game play for yourself. I was a little nervous to taking my favorite franchise and making it an mmo but the did it almost flawlessly and its an amazing game. Just try it out and you won't regret it. :D
  84. Apr 5, 2014
    This game is amazing. This turned out to be everything World of Warcraft couldn't be. I know deep in my heart that this MMO will change the name and faces of MMOS forever.
  85. Apr 5, 2014
    TESO, The last flagship for MMORPGs to not be a soccermom genre, like World of Warcraft so desperately try to make it. This mmorpg is hard, rewarding, and exactly what old school mmorpg gamers from the EQ days and DAoC days have been looking for. If youre looking for an mmorpg that is challenging, rewarding and fun at the same time, TESO is the game. It brings the nice aspects from Elder Scrolls into the mmorpg world in its own unique way. Entering a zone of your level, or getting a quest, dont mean you can just go there and beat it, unlike other mmorpgs. You still need to initiative on the attacks, 1 wrong move, and youre dead. This game, in PvE, exploring and PvP, is what you could have ever wanted. They have added so many new things you havent seen before in an MMO unless youre old school, and that makes me a happy man. definetly a 10/10 from here. Expand
  86. Apr 6, 2014
    I won't drone on and on with a comprehensive review because i know many of you do not read the entire review. In short, I have been playing since closed beta and have a fair grasp of most of the game as a whole and I can say that so far I really love it and I have high hopes for the games future. It brings real story and depth to the mmo scene while providing fun and addictive gameplay. Fans of the Elder Scrolls should DEFINITELY play this game. Expand
  87. Apr 7, 2014
    The only MMO I've put tons of hours in and got totally hooked on in the past is WoW. I have tried Rift and Guild Wars 2 but was disappointed in those and didn't play them more than a few hours.

Elder Scrolls Online is the only MMO after all these years that I have totally got hooked on. The leveling is fun and different, the PvP in Cyrodiil is amazing. I've done a few dungeons and
    they've been fun as well. The playerbase so far seems to be more mature too. Also the launch was the smoothest launch of an online game that I've ever been part of.

Sure, there's a few bugs that they will probably fix in the first patches, but nothing gamebreaking.

I would highly recommend this game to everyone who likes MMO's and Elder Scrolls and urge you to play to at least level 10 before judging so you can try Cyrodiil and the dungeons!

It's sad that most of the negative reviews here are written by people who haven't played this game for more than a few hours at most and haven't seen any real content at all. They only judge the game because it plays different from your average MMO. MMO's in general also get a lot of hate and sometimes in justice, but I for one will gladly be paying the monthly fee for this game. It's well worth it.
  88. Apr 12, 2014
    I love this game, It's the most fun I've had in an mmo in years. don't listen to the haters, Play it for yourself before you **** on the game. I do not think this game will go free to play if people continue to support this amazing game.
  89. Apr 13, 2014
    I am a long time Elder Scrolls fan and I have dabbled in the past with MMO's ending in WAR and GW2 a few years ago. Unlike some other "reviewers" on here I purchased the game in full knowledge that this is an MMO and not the Elder Scrolls 5. Therefore this review is not tainted by the idiotic outcry that this is not the follow up to Skyrim, or by the fact that I cannot afford the monthly sub.
    This game breathes a certain degree of fresh air into the MMO genre and also is a welcome addition to the Elder Scrolls canon. Firstly the graphics for an MMO are first rate - certainly on par with vanilla Skyrim. I noticed quite a few negative comments about this area and suspect that these people either have a very poor rig or have not actually played the game. The actual graphical style is also very mature compared to some other MMO's and certainly matches the visual flavour of both Skyrim and Oblivion.
    Another feather in the games cap is combat which is very fluid and satisfying. Instead of just mindlessly going through certain rotations you can attack, defend and dodge just like in Skyrim with basic attacks which are backed up by various other special abilities on the hotbar which makes it a very engaging system in both PvE and PvP.
    Character development is also very well thought out with a huge variety of options available. This makes levelling very satisfying and enjoyable especially as most skills and powers have great visual flair and effectiveness.
    The quests themselves are varied and attempt to depart from the "kill 10 of this and collect 10 of that" which you see in the majority of other offerings in the genre. All are voice acted and quite interesting helping to develop the Elder Scrolls lore. I have actually listened through every quest so far which is probably the first time I have done so in any game.
    The only issue I have currently with the game is the odd bout of lag where controls can become unresponsive. However, it is very early days for an MMO and the developers appear to have good form so far in fixing any issues that crop up.
    All in all I am very impressed. I have rated a 10 to offset the normal small minded agenda "reviewers" and would probably rate this game an 8 normally. It has great potential, and once it hits consoles one wonders whether it will gain enough momentum to finally put the creaking WOW down for good.
  90. Apr 13, 2014
    ESO is an excellent MMO and frankly a much better game than I thought it would be. I've grown weary of all the negative complaints that the game should be Free to Play or that it isn't innovative enough. What hasn't occurred to people is that they continue to compare the game to Skyrim and the earlier Elder Scroll games in terms of innovation and being more wide open, sandbox experiences, but somehow forget that MMOs and Single Player games are very different implementations, the MMO having a much higher level of complexity.

There is NO other MMO like this, and I'm having a blast with it. You can compare the AvA to Guild Wars 2, and in general, the concepts are similar. But ESO's AvA has a context in the overall ESO universe, reinforces the Elder Scrolls lore, and is absolutely massive in scope. The environments are far more detailed and immersive than any MMO I've played. Crafting has a lot of depth and doesn't force you to spend hours leveling your craft just to make gear for your players level. The soundtrack is epic, and for the most part, voice over work is quite good.

Point is, people set the bar so high for ESO in expectations, yet even they didn't know how Elder Scroll would be turned into an MMO. In this case, the developers have made a lot of great decisions, and like most MMOs, they will continue to refine and improve it in the future. So I am very excited about ESO, much more so than after my hours in beta. Don't let the negative reviews keep you from trying this game - there are things that can be improved, but seriously, this is a fantastic game.
  91. Apr 13, 2014
    The game is so amazing the lvling it is enjoying i can't believe i am saying it yes you will enjoy to lvl . Every quest is a nice story :)
    The crafting is fun. Don't listen to those haters dont miss one of the best mmo out there :)
    Sorry for my bad English
  92. Apr 14, 2014
    Brilliant MMO with a healthy dose of excellent TES lore, story, PvP sieges and excellent combat. If you enjoy MMORPGs & TES games, there is no way you will not like this game. If you enjoy SP RPGs and TES games, try it out, and you may be surprised. I really rate the game at a 9 or 9.5, but have used 10 to balance the multitude of SP Skyrim nerdrage earlier in the ratings with their 'O' ratings. Expand
  93. Apr 14, 2014
    Best MMO to come out ever! 10/10 for not doing the exact same thing every other one has done. Will be playing this for a long time. As long as they keep the content coming.
  94. Aug 14, 2014
    I have been playing ESO since launch. ESO had made some poor design decisions (essentially no XP in dungeons among others) that made the game unplayable for me (I do not play MMOs to primarily solo quest in). I gave the game essentially a big fat Zero.

Now, after a couple of updates, I am thrilled with the direction the game is going in. It is now a 9/10 for me as far as MMOs go. I
    honestly haven't had this much fun in an MMO since DAOC. If you're an MMO fan, I encourage you to try the game yourself and ignore the negative comments. Expand
  95. Apr 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely solid multi-player RPG game, with real RPG elements that have been disappearing from games lately. Great character building/skill systems, lots of choices in the game that actually feel important to your character's progression.

Pros:

-Great music and audio effects, combat/weather sounds are impressive
    -Character creation process offers a ton of customization
    -Incredible aesthetics, art assets are exceptional, best looking MMO on the market
    -Skill/weapon/armor system is top notch, lots of possibilities
    -Story/writing are very well done
    -Crafting is an involved but fun process, not a useless chore
    -Combat involves real time aiming, blocking, interrupting, dodging, weapon swings, etc.
    -Collision detection
    -The game can actually be challenging at times while leveling, but isn't overly punitive
    -You can become a vampire or a werewolf, complete with various strengths and weaknesses
    -Overall extremely high production value

Cons:

-"Exploration" can sometimes feel like aimless wandering, not knowing what to do next
    -Experience rewards may need to be raised for pvp, dungeons, etc.
    -You can occasionally hit a brick wall in terms of progression, run out of quests, etc.
    -Some quest lines are occasionally bugged

In my humble opinion, the best part of ESO is the skill system. Unfortunately there's been a trend in RPG gaming lately to dumb down or outright remove skill systems, resulting in more of an "action-arcade" type of experience. ESO bucks this trend, and features one of the most thorough, well thought out systems I've encountered.

Any class can wield any weapon or armor type(s), resulting in many unique yet effective character builds. Melee sorcerers wielding huge 2 hand weapons, tanks with a caster-like fire spell focus, bow wielding Templars with burst healing; crazy yet viable combinations are plentiful. You can weapon swap on the fly too, which opens you up for a whole second bar of abilities and alternate play-style. Basically, you can create whatever type of character you want, and if you're smart with your choices, it should work. Ever wanted to play a melee warlock type of character that dual-wields swords and wears a mix of heavy and light armor? Go for it, it's entirely possible.

Your character will gain skill points through quest chains, finding/collecting "Sky Shards", and leveling up. You can then invest these points into class skills, weapon skills, armor skills, racial passive skills, crafting skills, vampire/werewolf skills, mages/fighters guild skills, etc., etc.. If you're into theory crafting, or planning out and building rpg characters, there's a lot to get involved in with this skill system. It isn't so complicated or elaborate that a novice would be put off, but it offers a ton of depth which is really refreshing. The choices feel important, which is vital for a great RPG experience.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend this to anyone who considers them self a real RPG fan. This is probably one of the best RPG titles released in the past several years.
  96. Apr 4, 2014
    At frist, in BETA, i was very suspicious about the game - about how the game-mechanics work. I've played about 4 or 5 days and thought: Nahh... it won't get any long. But then in the next BETA i gave it another try and more and more I began to LIKE the game. The mechanics tempt you into trying new options and motivate for longer, the fights are challenging and you need to be active(you cant go off the keyboard for 10 seconds and survive), the story is GREAT... But the best part ist still the RvR! I love it! Expand
  97. Apr 6, 2014
    This game is absolutely incredible. End of story. Leveling is a PLEASURE, with very immersive quests, and an engrossing storyline. And thats just the PVE. The PVP is a massive continually changing battlefield. This game is so well executed its insane, I'm completely converted from a WoW fan to ESO.
  98. Apr 6, 2014
    Its a very enjoyable MMO. It strives to be different, and for the most part succeeds. However, it is an MMO...if you're expecting it to somehow transcend the genre then your expectations are unrealistic. If you enjoy both Elder Scrolls games and MMOs (plural, as in not simply a WoW fan exclusively, but rather someone who enjoys the genre) then you will most likely enjoy this game immensely.

For those giving it a 0-2, I honestly do feel bad for you. But lets be brutally honest here. The internet exists, and there is no shortage of info on this game. This is a financial investment, and almost nobody is going to buy this and commit to a subscription without a bit of research first. To say this game is a 0 or 2, is to admit to the world that you lack proper deductive and decision making skills, because this game is exactly as advertised. "I hate goats, and I can't stand simulators...what's this goat simulator game, I think I'll buy this and....oh man, what the hell?! This sucks!" Lol, they do look kinda cute when they eat paste they, don't they?
  99. Apr 6, 2014
    The game has some bugs, but what MMO at launch didn't? It's visually stunning, easily besting any MMO currently on the market in that category, yet remarkably easy on low end systems to achieve said graphics.

Literally dozens of times over the past week I've been on my way to a quest and gotten sidetracked by looking off into the distance and seeing something and going, "OOO...that
    looks great!! Let's get a closer look!!" and being led into yet ANOTHER adventure/quest.

Zenimax has said there are further content updates coming out in weeks of the launch. WEEKS. That's great news.

Content locusts have already hit level 50+Vr10(basically you get to cap and start working on "veteran levels" so level cap is basically 60) but hey. PvP is engaging enough to be a stopgap filler until new content comes out.
  100. Apr 13, 2014
    I've been playing ESO since the beta and I have to say, I was very impressed with the development of this game, among other things, and I'm going to explain why.

When I first began the beta I was not very impressed. It was very buggy, which was expected, but the beta testers were listened to and huge patches before release fixed many of the gamebreaking bugs. Bugs aside it was not
    terribly engaging and difficult to get into. I barely gave the next beta weekend a shot, but I did. And that's when it started getting good.

The world is rich and diverse, with a complex, involved crafting system that inspired me to create a dedicated crafter character for the first time in a game. The quest system began to improve and give me more varied, interesting tasks. The combat, which was a part of the game that really impressed me from the beginning, got even better.

PvP is excellent. It's AvAvA style, with the entire province of Cyrodiil comprising the PvP zone (though don't think that means there's no plain-old-adventuring in Cyrodiil, as the province contains lots of crafting materials, in addition to PvE quests, cities, and ruins.) The three-faction war is always exciting and fast-paced - there were complaints of too much "zerging" during the beta, but small assassin groups (sneak works in PvP!), keep defenders, and scouts have come to really change the battlefield since - I have honestly never had more fun with an MMO PvP system!

Exploring the world just for the sake of exploring it became a favorite pastime, and I know that here, there is a lot of discussion on whether or not this is a "true Elder Scrolls Game." I have to say that for me, honestly, it feels very much like an Elder Scrolls game. I have played Oblivion and Skyrim, and, while ESO possesses its own unique flavor, I am constantly fondly reminded of these games and feel very involved in the world of Tamriel. For those who want a single-player experience, the devs have taken great care to keep the "Elder Scrolls feel" intact in what is, for the series, a completely new genre - I found it quite simple to ignore the chat and play as though in a world that was simply more populated than before.

All in all, I recommend this game very highly, both to those who typically play in the MMO genre, and to fans of the Elder Scrolls series. Anyone who dismissed it during the beta (as I almost did) should give it another look.

1. Jul 23, 2014
    Eight years of development, a team consisting of even 250 people at some points, budget reaching hundreds of millions of dollars. It’s a pity that this ‘Skyrim Online’ disappoints both fans of previous Bethesda games and MMORPG veterans who expected some fresh air in the stale genre. [06/2014, p.44]
    A well done MMO that can lure players not familiar with the genre. But if you've played MMOs before, this one doesn't offer anything new, nor anything exciting.
  3. Jun 16, 2014
    60 days was more then enough time for me to determine that I would rather spend my time elsewhere.