8.2

1. Apr 26, 2015
    Bethesda and Valve are encouraging modders to place their mods behind a Paywall the vanilla game is buggy and full of CDT again paid mod is a paywall.
  2. Apr 24, 2015
    Thanks for the paid mods you greedy **** this game is mediocre without mods, and now you just came and steal that from your own game. Bravo, you can't be more stupids Valve/Betrashda.
  3. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim was, and still is, an okay game, but made better with mods. However, VALVe's recent introduction of paid mods on the Steam Workshop will almost certainly turn the modding community (which is what kept this game going long after it should have dies out) against each other, after years of harmony. They're even censoring donation links to the modders, all so VALVe and Bethesda can takeSkyrim was, and still is, an okay game, but made better with mods. However, VALVe's recent introduction of paid mods on the Steam Workshop will almost certainly turn the modding community (which is what kept this game going long after it should have dies out) against each other, after years of harmony. They're even censoring donation links to the modders, all so VALVe and Bethesda can take 75% of the money that we WILL NOT GIVE.

Damage has already been done, but VALVe, you can still fix this. All you need to do is by removing the option to pay, and adding a donation button, with at least 90% going directly to the modder. Until then, I will not support Bethesda and VALVe.

TL;DR: You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Goodbye, VALVe.
  4. Apr 25, 2015
    Skyrim was fun game but with a large amount of bugs and some very poorly implemented user interface features, game was also pretty short and easy.
    With Mods you could fix almost all the bugs and repair your UI add immersion more quests more replayability more character customization better graphics etc...
    With paid mods someone like me who uses 90 mods I would need to spend about
    With paid mods someone like me who uses 90 mods I would need to spend about 200-400$ for the mods I use....
    Skyrim Vanilla 6/10
    Skyrim with mods 10/10
    Skyrim with paid mods 0/10
  5. Apr 25, 2015
    I am seriously disappointed by Bethesda's greedy decision of taking 75% of the profit generated by mods their users make. This will go down in history as one of the worst changes made to an otherwise flawless game.

Skyrim Vanilla 8/10
    Skyrim with mods 10/10
    Skyrim with paid mods 0/10
  6. Apr 26, 2015
    The paid mods initiative is an unbelievably cynical cash grab that has introduced a totally horrific concept to PC gaming.

The idea is now "out there", companies like Valve and EA are going to keep trying this till it pays off for them in the long term.

Everything about gaming is now a nickle and dime zero sum game. What a farce.
  7. Apr 26, 2015
    So Valve and Bethesda have pretty much shown how to destroy an entire industry/community in one day. Of all the worst things that have been happening to games lately, this is one of, if not THE, worst thing.
  8. Apr 26, 2015
    I love this game but charging for mods is stupid and I will never pay for them. It actually makes me sick, thanks Bethesda for being trash. That's it, nothing else worth saying.
  9. Apr 26, 2015
    Like most Bethesda games, Skyrim is only mediocre when played without mods. With mods, the cool factor rises a million times over. Mods let you change almost every element of the game, adding immeasurable fun, and replay value. With that said, this is going to be a negative review because Bethesda, and Valve, have enabled a system where modders can now sell their mods on Steam.
  10. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim success belong to the modders, don't destroy this community with greed.
    The pc gaming community will not accept this and thus the revolt has begun.
    Valve may not be your savior now, so open your mind and accept facts as they are right now.
  11. Apr 27, 2015
    The game is now promoting paid mods which is very bad for health of the community and potential gamer.

Such cynical acts are ruining gaming industry and are a greedy way for grabing cash from customers.
  12. Apr 26, 2015
    WAGE-THEFT, MICRO-TRANSACTIONS & YOU

Valve and Bethesda are now "servicing" PAID mods to gamers. The mod creators themselves only take 25% from it. These modders are "self-employed". Bethesda and Valve are not legally bound to these people. Valve and Bethesda reinvented Micro-transactions, already the most unethical business practice of the decade, and it is now an INDIRECT source
    WAGE-THEFT, MICRO-TRANSACTIONS & YOU

Valve and Bethesda reinvented Micro-transactions, already the most unethical business practice of the decade, and it is now an INDIRECT source of revenue, exploiting both gamers and modders for their hard work.

Nevermind modding was about enjoying your time with the game, having fun and giving back to the community. Now it's a business. Serious business. It involves money, trademarks and possible litigation over ownership of intellectual property.

Bethesda can now rely on modders to work for a pittance while cashing in the profits, at the same time avoiding ALL legal issues if there are ANY problems with said mods. Modders are on their own.

Bethesda is taking pretty much half of the profit, and modders (who are not employees, thus Bethesda doesn't owe them anything) are left to dry in the sand. No rights, no protection.

And if you think 25% is bad, you're not taking taxes into account. It's worse than bad.
  13. Apr 25, 2015
    Once an example of an open source game for modders to experiment with.
    A way to passionately make mods for everyone to enjoy.
    Now it will turn into a cash cow for bethesda's and valve's greed by putting mods behind pay walls. And the modders? They only get 25% of the money, while the other 20 - 30 percent goes to valve and 45% to bethesda. Its a way to make unofficial dlc, that
    Once an example of an open source game for modders to experiment with.
    A way to passionately make mods for everyone to enjoy.

Its a way to make unofficial dlc, that might get their support pulled any day, and might turn incompatible any day without the developer having any responsibility to fix the mod.
  14. Apr 25, 2015
    Thanks to a major monetization effort by Bethesda and Valve, Skyrim is now utterly worthless as a game; it is no longer freely moddable. Resources like Nexus, ModDB, and even Loverslab are now equally worthless, as Bethesda will be pushing out a patch to remove the ability to mod outside of the Workshop. These things are what made Skyrim good. Now, it's just a bad, buggy piece of ****
  15. Apr 25, 2015
    Be careful not to support this game's company. They are pushing the idea of monetizing mods, something that could destroy the modding community as we know it. Think of it like this; If charging for modifications becomes the norm, then lazy devs like Bethesda will no longer have to fix bugs since they'll rely on the community to fix their mods and still get 75% of the profit. Not only thatBe careful not to support this game's company. They are pushing the idea of monetizing mods, something that could destroy the modding community as we know it. Think of it like this; If charging for modifications becomes the norm, then lazy devs like Bethesda will no longer have to fix bugs since they'll rely on the community to fix their mods and still get 75% of the profit. Not only that but modders will be forced to sell their mods to prevent someone else making money off his/her mod, then Bethesda will get 75% of the profits for doing nothing other than firing their QA team, relying on modders and forcing the gaming community to pay 10 dollars to fix bugs that shouldn't have been in the base product. Expand
  16. Apr 26, 2015
    A decent game made great by the modders. However, that is a matter of the past. Bethesda want's to cash in on that, which already reduced the number of mods as well as the number of good modders. Shame on you Valve and Bethesda!
  17. Apr 26, 2015
    Yes. Modders should get money now and then. However, modding wasn't started to make money. It was because of passion and the annoyance that the people that made said game won't fix certain bugs. Now Bethesda wants YOU to pay for bugfixes that they didn't even fix, but was done by some modder who will get a small percentage of the sales. So yeah, tell me to quit being a liberal, becauseYes. Modders should get money now and then. However, modding wasn't started to make money. It was because of passion and the annoyance that the people that made said game won't fix certain bugs. Now Bethesda wants YOU to pay for bugfixes that they didn't even fix, but was done by some modder who will get a small percentage of the sales. So yeah, tell me to quit being a liberal, because people that call others entitled sure know how to make the world a better place. Pft. Expand
  18. Apr 26, 2015
    mod Paywall **** i wouldnt mind a mod donat button this game would have been dead years ago if it wasnt for the free mods. but now we have to pay for another paywall...
  19. Apr 26, 2015
    RIP Skyrim 2011-2015

cause of death: Gaben greed

Really can't believe they are trying to pull these mod shenanigans. No steam, I'm not paying for a mod that might not work, and I'm definitely not paying when the creator only gets 25%. Put a donate button where 100% goes to the creator or nothing.
  20. Apr 26, 2015
    This game is buggy and crashes constantly. But hey, there's mods to fix that. But wait, mods will now cost money. Basically you're paying for patches for a game that should have been patched years ago by the company. But nope, they're too lazy to do that and rather charge people just to fix their broken game.
  21. Feb 26, 2012
    **** I don't want to review a game after 2 hours of playing it, but i don't have stomach to play this any longer. I can't understand how can any company make a game with 100+ hours of content, but totally fail at UI. Most of those 100 hours you spend searching for items in totally **** up inventory. Shortcuts and using spells is another tragedy. Never seen a worse console port. Some can**** I don't want to review a game after 2 hours of playing it, but i don't have stomach to play this any longer. I can't understand how can any company make a game with 100+ hours of content, but totally fail at UI. Most of those 100 hours you spend searching for items in totally **** up inventory. Shortcuts and using spells is another tragedy. Never seen a worse console port. Some can say there are mods now that fix this, but i don't want mods, i want complete game from the company, not modders. World is open, but there are hardly any interesting places at all. Dialogues feel like being made by a 12y child. No epicness, no intelligence, nothing at all. Your character is boring, you can't give a **** about him. The choice of race hardly matters to you or the environment. As long as ppl worship crappy games like these, there is no future for gaming. Expand
  22. Dec 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where do you begin with a game like Skyrim? At first I was thrilled, but by the point I had beat all the guilds, mainquest, civil war, Deadric quests, and most the miscellaneous, I realized this was the pinnacle of the complete devolution of the Elder Scrolls as a series. The guilds lack depth and have no purpose. A hack and slash barbarian can lead the College of Winterhold by fighting through a few linear dungeons. The Dark Brotherhood is shorter than Oblivion and lacks the dark humor and unique kills. Most assassinations are simply, go here and kill this guy with a marker over his head. The Companions are equally short and devoid of challenge. Every guild treats you like an outsider then after three quests blindly trust you to be the next leader. Once you become guild leader the random filler quests generated are so repetitious you will be burned out quickly. The Thieves Guild is extremely guilty of this. The random thievery quests are so unoriginal and for a game the prides itself in its AI the people basically let you rob them blind. If they detect you don't worry, they won't call the guards and you can walk back in an hour latter and rob them again. Then there is the fact that there are no actual consequences to your actions as almost all the characters even slightly related to a quest are made unkillable. For a game that prides itself in character choice, why do I have no choice in this matter? The perks are poorly implemented and completely unbalance the game. They will leave you one shotting any enemy with a bow, enchanting armor to cast entire magic schools with no cost, and other outrageous feats that remove all challenge from the game. In just three hours you can craft a god-tier suit of armor and kill everything (except half the NPCs with immortality) in the game. The crafting system has no depth and isn't even related to you respective skills. Why can a character with 15 in smithing craft an item at every attempt? Let me see anyone inexperienced in smithing create a dagger at every attempt. And did I mention weapons don't decay after use, hardly the pinnacle of realism or even providing adequate challenge. I mean if weapons don't decay why even have magicka deplete with spells cast? The civil war quest line is a joke, both sides are mirrors of each other and don't even use different tactics in battle. The main quest is predictable with a typical enemy that has no real motives other than destroy everything. At least Dagoth Ur had motives. He wanted to unify Morrowind against the Empire's invasion at any cost. Skyrim's main enemy is a dragon that wants to destroy the world, how original. Then there is the matter of the new AI system which the developers clearly banked on generating worthwhile and memorable quests. Quite simply it completely fails to generate quests with any degree of complexity. Furthermore, the Norse culture and lore seems like a secondhand rehash of established fantasy clichés. Overall this game hardly even qualifies as an RPG. So much has been streamlined since Morrowind and Oblivion. Even custom spell creation is gone. Nearly every quests has only one way to complete it and it usually involves killing/finding an item that has a magic arrow over its head leading you directly to it. Sure the graphics and environments are nice, but they're nothing amazing compared to the current crop of PC games. Justify this games greatness with the rave reviews, record sales, or mountains of cash it has generated but time will be its ultimate judge. This is just another example of a studio catering to the masses to maximize profit and everyone is eating it up. So this concludes my review of The Elder Scrolls: Call of Duty Expand
  23. HD3
    Dec 16, 2011
    Skyrim has two major strengths ; you can wander anywhere at almost any time and kill almost anything you find there and you have a huge number of sidequests available to you. Outside of that the game has a lot of flaws which everyone seems to be a little too willing to overlook. Character development is almost universally absent and plot never delves much deeper than prophecised hero slaysSkyrim has two major strengths ; you can wander anywhere at almost any time and kill almost anything you find there and you have a huge number of sidequests available to you. Outside of that the game has a lot of flaws which everyone seems to be a little too willing to overlook. Character development is almost universally absent and plot never delves much deeper than prophecised hero slays ancient evil. Even the civil war arc which is intitally established as a major feature of the game's world remains largely stagnant, save for Imperial or Stormcloak troops replacing the local militia after certain quests.
    The copy and paste enviroments aren't quite as bad as Oblivion but still enough that you can see some of the days where the developers weren't at their best. The biggest problem is the combat however. If you're going to play Skyrim, go with a mage, because melee combat, particularly if you use a two hand weapon, rarely amounts to more than mashing w/e key you've assigned your sword/mace/dagger etc to until the thing you were aiming at is dead. If you are looking for a game that satisfies wanderlust and affords great flexibility, you'll enjoy Skyrim. If you're looking a tight engaging story and well developed combat systems, look elsewhere.
  24. Jun 18, 2012
    To be generous, the first 4-5 hours as the game started I enjoyed immensely. I would have given a 9 if the rest of the game remained consistently fun. But it isn't so. I've never really like the floaty combat system in other TES games, but on this entry it's more obnoxious than ever because enemies hardly ever react to you attacks. They added "kill animations" to spice up the fightingTo be generous, the first 4-5 hours as the game started I enjoyed immensely. I would have given a 9 if the rest of the game remained consistently fun. But it isn't so. I've never really like the floaty combat system in other TES games, but on this entry it's more obnoxious than ever because enemies hardly ever react to you attacks. They added "kill animations" to spice up the fighting aspect, but they are just cutscenes of your character pulling off some cool move. You're not fighting the enemy anymore, you're just watching your character fight essentially. The first town you arrive at is a welcome beginning. You believe every character has a personality, unique voice & their own special problems that you can help fix. Until you go on to the next village or city and realize that almost all of the same voice actors were recycled for everybody else. Every smith has the same voice, every bard is a blonde womanizer with the annoying voice actor from Tak and the Power of Juju, almost every shopkeeper has the same male/female voice & they all think that "they have the finest goods in Skyrim" and "some people may call this junk, but me I call them treasure." Also every single guard in the entire game has the same male/femal voice, and my god do they sound mental. From the very beginning, the graphics made me very wary. The far scenery is sometimes beautiful, but when taking a closer look, textures & character animations can be worse than Morrowind ( which was made almost a decade ago!). There certainly is massive amounts of content, which I tried to explore over the time of about 80 hours of gameplay. But over half of the content is recycled "fetch this/kill that" quests with no depth or sense of urgency or accomplishment. The smithing & enchanting system is ridiculously broken, allowing you to become wholly overpowered within 5 hours of spamming iron daggers and enchanting them. This also makes exploring & adventuring obselete, because you will never find anything better than what you've already smithed and enchanted at level 10. Some cities/holds are massive & beautiful, but only inhabit about 20-25 NPC's. So it feels like a glorious ghost town, and you can't even engage with some of them; so it just feels like their taking up space. And nobody besides those involved in the main quest seem to be concerned that fearsome, deathly dragons are terrorizing Skyrim. And even when you finish the main questline or a certain guild, no one remembers you for it. Guards & NPC's will still harrass & criticize you even after saving skyrim from total destruction. So you also feel like your character is taking up space, because you make no visible impact upon the world. The only quest line I somewhat enjoyed was the Theives Guild, but it was still short and required a lot of tedious extra jobs to do in between. All of the dungeons, caves, and castles are only slightly varied from the next and really give no incentive to explore because you will encounter the same enemies and the same worthless loot. There certainly is no character development, because for some reason, you're only given 1-3 dialouge choices. It doesn't matter what you choose to say, the conversation will always end the same. They also made the quest system too easy, essentially holding your hand throughout the entire game because there is an arrow that tells you exactly what to do & where to go. There is no mystery or real challenge. The game really just degenerated to a virtual walk in a park (literally & metaphorically). The only thing I enjoyed in the end was the scenery. Expand
  25. Dec 30, 2011
    The game gets boring really fast. Most quests are very linear and many side quests are simple fetch quests. The dungeons are repetitive and the broken crafting system and lack of equipment variety makes exploration pointless. Leveling is also pointless because everything levels with you. Dragon fights are quite underwhelming and often you'll meet common bandits which are stronger thanThe game gets boring really fast. Most quests are very linear and many side quests are simple fetch quests. The dungeons are repetitive and the broken crafting system and lack of equipment variety makes exploration pointless. Leveling is also pointless because everything levels with you. Dragon fights are quite underwhelming and often you'll meet common bandits which are stronger than Dragons (Because of the poorly implemented level scaling). AI is as good as in Oblivion, and by that I mean its terrible. Animations are still bad by modern days standards. Combat is a complete mess, probably because of the ridiculous physics in the game or maybe are the weird animations, but often when you hit people with heavy weapons they just moan and keep swinging their weapons like nothing is happening. Also, the finishing moves are weird and there is a lot of clipping issues. Like most modern games Skyrim also suffers with developers trying to appeal to a "wider audence" by removing features from the game (like attributes, skills, armor pieces, etc), that makes the game quite shallow and makes difficult for you to make "builds" that actually plays differently (most characters will just be a mage-warrior-thief hybrid).

The soundtrack is somewhat good, but not very original because several musics are taken from Morrowind. Most sound effects sounds like they were taken from a bad movie from the 80s.
  26. Dec 15, 2011
    This game is a terrible console port, and each successive patch just breaks the game further. It handles PC hardware as poorly as possible. My PC, which can run Crysis and Crysis 2 both at consistently over 60fps, sometimes struggles with Skyrim at it's most basic settings. It is poorly engineered and the PC port of this game is a joke.
  27. Nov 14, 2011
    This game doesn't deserve all the credit it gets. It's got some real issues that hold it back. Granted, It's leaps and bounds better then its failure of a predecessor, the game is held back by horrendously poor AI, graphic issues, interface issues with the mouse, bad unit collision detail and melee combat that is lacking. The saving grace for this game? The graphics are above average ifThis game doesn't deserve all the credit it gets. It's got some real issues that hold it back. Granted, It's leaps and bounds better then its failure of a predecessor, the game is held back by horrendously poor AI, graphic issues, interface issues with the mouse, bad unit collision detail and melee combat that is lacking. The saving grace for this game? The graphics are above average if run on max settings, its demands aren't very high, so that's an easy reach for most PC's. But even still, the game's graphics are too dark to really shine anywhere. I guess the only fun I had in this game was cheating with console commands; decimating the cities, running my horse up a 90 degree mountain cliff and beating the AI out of fair fights with abusing the smallest of obstacles. It's definitely not worth full price. Wait until it drops to the 20 mark. Expand
  28. Nov 18, 2011
    You can't make a good story focused on dragons, simple as that. Talking dragons is an absurd twist on the generic ones, which surely is original but it kind of made the game awkward. The main quest was boring, since there was no character progression. We already knew from the start that we were the Dragonborn, designated to end the dragons... etc... most of us probably figured out whatYou can't make a good story focused on dragons, simple as that. Talking dragons is an absurd twist on the generic ones, which surely is original but it kind of made the game awkward. The main quest was boring, since there was no character progression. We already knew from the start that we were the Dragonborn, designated to end the dragons... etc... most of us probably figured out what finale would be like as well. When there's no mystery in a game like this, it's not fun. You're not dragged into the story because it lacks immersion and the originality of daggerfall and morrowind. The quests in this game, be it main quest or not, are incredibly easy. It's like they were designed for you to not be able to fail. A prime example would be when you doing a College of Winterhold quest, you have to explore a ruin in order to find a staff. You stumble across a door that freezes when you walk by it, and thus it cant be opened... only to find that a few steps to the left there's a fire tome waiting for you. Dont present any obstacles to a player if theyre not there to actually hinder your progress...

The game IS pretty fun though, but its nowhere as good as Daggerfall or Morrowind. It might be better than Oblivion, though. I would say its a good action/adventure game but an awful roleplaying game. If you don't have a brain and like killing things, well this is the game for you.
  29. Dec 6, 2011
    I scored Skyrim based on what it delivered. While skyrim could have been great, I fear that many of the high scores here are from die hard fans looking at the ooh ahh factor. Because Skyrim deals in the open world we are pleased to see sprawling vistas. But when broken down into its parts, Skyrim is nothing special. I am not rating skyrim on what could have been or what may be in monthsI scored Skyrim based on what it delivered. While skyrim could have been great, I fear that many of the high scores here are from die hard fans looking at the ooh ahh factor. Because Skyrim deals in the open world we are pleased to see sprawling vistas. But when broken down into its parts, Skyrim is nothing special. I am not rating skyrim on what could have been or what may be in months after patching, i am rating it on what i was delivered. Graphics The graphics are better than that of oblivion, but in current gaming, they are certainly nothing special. They are nice when they work. There are numerous issues regarding graphical problems, and this really brings the score down. Where it could have been an 8/10, what i received are overall graphics of a 4/10. Story line The quests, including the main quest are really quite shallow in terms of their story. There is nothing remarkable about them at all. In fact i found the speed at which i was able to join and become the head of each guild rather pathetically short; everyone seems to trust you very quickly, no need to really prove yourself, just collect this or that and within 4 specific quests you are the head of the guild. Secondly, many of the side quests or miscellaneous quests are completely vacant of thought, ââ Expand
  30. Dec 17, 2011
    Skyrim is a terrible role playing game. By now we all know about the horrid user interface, the relatively poor combat and magic systems, the disastrous implementation of dual wielding (that makes it, essentially, useless.) We know about buckets on heads and backward-flying Dragons. So I won't even take them into consideration, except to say Bethesda could have doneSkyrim is a terrible role playing game. By now we all know about the horrid user interface, the relatively poor combat and magic systems, the disastrous implementation of dual wielding (that makes it, essentially, useless.) We know about buckets on heads and backward-flying Dragons. So I won't even take them into consideration, except to say Bethesda could have done better....................And that is the overarching theme of Skyrim: Could have been better.................................................................................I came into this game not expecting much. It is, after all, a Bethesda game. And I am happy for that, because I didn't get much. No moral choices. No consequences for my character's actions. Speech skill isn't even something you can use. It just lowers prices at merchants. Loot is thrown at you constantly, level-ups are handed out like candy at a parade. There is no challenge, no feeling of accomplishment to completing tasks......................................Questing is, if anything, worse than in Oblivion. Literally everyone in the world has something they lost or need found, but no initiative to go and find it. This game is essentially one big fetch quest after another. Its sickening and disheartening..............................Still, as an action game based loosely on a narrative, with some role playing aspects, Skyrim sort of works. It has its moments. But as a true role playing game Skyrim is beyond terrible, and that is why, despite the things I like about the game, I am giving it only a 5. I am reviewing the game as the RPG it claimed to be and was not, as opposed to overlooking this significant bit of false advertising.........................Bugged launch, zero replay value, linear quest line, poor combat and terrible dialogue and writing (all in the Bethesda tradition) guarantee this will be the last Bethesda-developed game I ever purchase. Terrible developer with terrible writers. Expand
  31. Nov 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a huge fan of the series I hate to do this, i really do, and if i was just playing an ordinary game by an ordinary developer this would be getting a 8 or a 9. If i was just taking the first 5 hours, this would be getting an 8 or a 9. This weekend i have put a solid 35 hours into this game, so i feel like my review comes after some experience.
    Firstly, the positives.
    The game is interesting, the lore is good, the dungeons are varied and have interesting puzzles.
    Combat is improved, if not brilliant and the perks are quite neat.
    These positives are definitely enough to make the game interesting and playable.
    Now the negatives.
    The menus, OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL. How difficult is it to make a frigging spreadsheet, listing the weight, value and name of the item, and let me sort it by those things. Not to mention its all designed for a console, so i waste so much time clicking the wrong thing because the cursor doesn't map properly to the options.
    Secondly, the bugs, man this is difficult to play when it crashes to the desktop ever hour or so with no warning or error message, its just gone. AI does some silly stuff sometimes but i can get over that, its just the crashing to desktop for no apparent reason that's killing me.
    Thirdly, and this is my biggest and most important one, and more general too.
    I don't know if anyone else senses this, but the whole game feels less heroic and epic than Morrowind or Oblivion. Sure you fight dragons, but the game feels kind of scripted.
    ----Minor Companion Guild Spoiler alert---- (I don't say what happens just it doesn't take long)
    So the companion guild is supposed to replace the fighters guild, and it was my first stop. I expected hours of missions and working my way through the ranks to finally become the leader, which would come with benefits such as getting my cut from the other members of the guild i now lead, or special missions, or special perks or SOMETHING. I would have expected extra reputation but that is no longer in this game for some reason. But what happens? I finish the couple of quests in little over an hour and am suddenly head of the guild and my benefits amount to a big fat nothing. Oh i get some stupid axe that i already had weapons as good as. And what is the special quests i get after being the mighty leader? "Hey man, this guy has a wolf (a single wolf) in his house on the other side of the map, can you go kill it?" Yeah send the freaking head of the guild to do that for like 100 gold.
    Same deal with the mages, no benefit at all.
    ----End Companion Spoiler----
    That's ok, ill go work for a Jarl, and get a house and become a thane, surely that will come with benefits and affect the story somehow.
    Wrong, after all the work and money it takes to get there, its just another thing you do that has no real benefit except you can get away with small crimes.
    This game is suffering from what i call Fable-itis, you can even get married ( to random NPCs or no noteworthiness for no benefit). There's so much to do, but why bother. All of my Armour and weapons were crafted by myself and are drastically better than anything i find, the only thing i use that i found was an amulet.
    Even taking part in the Civil War seems to have little affect that i can see so far other than a change in NPC's that run the cities and no benefit to yourself.
    The other Elder scroll games made your character so important, in Morrowind you could join a great house and rise through it eventually building your own castle. How awesome and epic.
    In Oblivion when you were the master of the guild you were the MASTER. You got a cut of everyone's earning and could direct the attention of the guild, and you were famous because of it.
    Where is that in this game? Where is the epic story where you grow in power and fame? Sure there are some epic battles, but the Elder scrolls were never about that, they were about the heroes story from rags to riches, from a dirty prisoner to lord of all you see.
    The problem with Elder scrolls is the expectations that go with it, this game looks great, and plays pretty well, as my 35 hours playtime will show, but it just doesn't feel like a good Elder Scrolls game, and most fans of the series will realize this as the game progresses and they seem to be having less and less effect on the world.
  32. Nov 14, 2011
    I cannot believe the average critic rating for this is 96. It's just sad that such a flawed game can receive a score 4 points away from absolutely perfect. In some places, the graphics even look inferior to Oblivion (such as lack of properly rendered textures, so reflections of light on walls don't happen, animation is just as awful, objects don't reflect or shine anymore) I've beenI cannot believe the average critic rating for this is 96. It's just sad that such a flawed game can receive a score 4 points away from absolutely perfect. In some places, the graphics even look inferior to Oblivion (such as lack of properly rendered textures, so reflections of light on walls don't happen, animation is just as awful, objects don't reflect or shine anymore) I've been playing for almost 20 hours now and am amazed that supposedly reputable review sites would be so generous to a game that is ridden with bugs, glitches and design problems. Movement is SLOW. Very slow - get a horse and it's barely any faster - sure you can sprint but the horse runs out of stamina, and if it gets hit it runs away and sometimes disappears entirely (one of the many weird glitches). You can get companions to follow you around, but they walk at a snails pace and get in the way when you're in dungeons. Combat is exactly the same as Oblivion, just point at the enemy and spam the button. You'll have read about the awful UI. Yes, on the PC it really is that bad. Good luck scanning through a massive inventory - it was better on Oblivion, at least you could view your character. Yes, in this game you cannot even see your character when setting up equipment and there's no way of sorting items. The graphics really do look like something from 4 years ago (and I have a decent rig, it's even rubbish on ultra). Textures are so poor they look like PS2 at points. The music is okay but nothing memorable. The quests are nothing more complex than standard WoW stuff (go here, talk to this guy, bring me that object). Recent RPGs have been pretty bad, so this is going to do well because it's something to play, but much I wanted to like this, it's a poor effort. I'm stunned that the reviewers have rated this so highly. Expand
  33. Nov 12, 2011
    My friends and I(7 of us altogether) went out yesterday to pick up our CE pre orders for Skyrim. 3 hours only 1 of us was able to get the game running past load up simply because they were running on an older version of windows. Blatant console port with terrible mouse acceleration in menues, derpy animations for EVERYTHING, physics is retarded because they haven't made any improvementsMy friends and I(7 of us altogether) went out yesterday to pick up our CE pre orders for Skyrim. 3 hours only 1 of us was able to get the game running past load up simply because they were running on an older version of windows. Blatant console port with terrible mouse acceleration in menues, derpy animations for EVERYTHING, physics is retarded because they haven't made any improvements since Oblivion, buggy and boring combat and an ok story but even that's generic. Skyrim on PC gets a zero because the game doesn't like loading up and I've already exchanged it for the PS3 version. And I doubt Bethesda will do anything for the numerous bugs in the game, instead they'll once again, let the community do their work Expand
  34. Nov 18, 2011
    I really want to like this game I really do. But the UI on the PC is just horrendous. No modern PC game should ship with a 100% console UI and awful support for keyboard and mouse. All kinds of performance issues, I had a game stopping issue that took 4 days and a user fix to make the game playable.

Once I was able to play the game, with an xbox controller mind you, It was a lot of fun. It is a very atmospheric game and is a whole lot of fun when you can play it. Getting to play it is the obstacle on the PC however.

Here is to hoping the patch will fix these issues, if so I would have no issues giving this game a 8. But the UI has to be fixed.
  35. Nov 16, 2011
    The reviewers must of gotten a different game to us. This game feels like it was made for console, it is so sluggish even with 60fps, You cant browse the menus with your mouse, only the keyboard works, that in itself is a 0. The graphics are some of the worst i've seen compared to the era they were released in. The game itself? who knows, there's too many hindrances to get to the gameplayThe reviewers must of gotten a different game to us. This game feels like it was made for console, it is so sluggish even with 60fps, You cant browse the menus with your mouse, only the keyboard works, that in itself is a 0. The graphics are some of the worst i've seen compared to the era they were released in. The game itself? who knows, there's too many hindrances to get to the gameplay itself. I'm sure if i tried the console version it'd be near flawless as the consoles have very strict releasing protocols.
    I guess with the pc version they threw their hands in the air and said let the mod community fix it for us.
  36. Nov 12, 2011
    Abysmal! I can't believe the high scores this game is receiving. This is one of the worst console to PC ports I've ever had the misfortune to play. This game might be acceptable on the console, but on the PC it's just atrocious! I'm sorry, but I cannot recommend this game to any PC gamer.
  37. Nov 13, 2011
    Absolutely horrible performance, bugs everywhere, awful menu system and UI, and it isn't even that fun. Oblivion was interesting and felt like something I wanted to explore. This game, at least what I've experienced of it, is nothing but "go here and talk to this person" and "go here and find this thing". You get to traverse large, empty plains and mountains that remind me of Fallout moreAbsolutely horrible performance, bugs everywhere, awful menu system and UI, and it isn't even that fun. Oblivion was interesting and felt like something I wanted to explore. This game, at least what I've experienced of it, is nothing but "go here and talk to this person" and "go here and find this thing". You get to traverse large, empty plains and mountains that remind me of Fallout more than anything. The animation is nice, graphics are okay at best, but sound and music is mediocre and mono-sounding. It also isn't really fun to play at a constant 30fps when you're using the lowest possible settings. Expand
  38. Nov 12, 2011
    No STATS. No character doll. Stupid consolish interface. Outdated DirectX9 engine. Lot of low-res textures. Sometimes funny psychics. Combat is dull and simple. etc. etc.
  39. Nov 11, 2011
    To those who can't believe how somebody could rate this game so low, I know exactly how you feel, about the game and the rating. I couldn't possibly care any less though.:)
    Good WRPG is all about choices/options and involved/enjoyable character development. An epic, well written story helps as well. This game does not have any of this.
    With a large world to explore, it first felt like a
    With a large world to explore, it first felt like a lot was possible. Cave exploration, ruin exploration, underwater exploration, fight X creature, find a random town and talk to random denizen, etc. After about 10 hours, it became more obvious that, yeah there is a lot you can do on the side, just none of it was all that interesting. At a certain point it just felt like I was playing offline MMO, in that the game allows you to do so much but it's just done so poorly.
    I know that the graphics aren't the most important part of a game like this but Skyrim don't even look average. I would never be so ridiculous as to say that I would buy a game just based on the visuals, but this game look like heavily moded Oblivion.
  40. Nov 11, 2011
    Bethesda has done it again, folks. They released oblivion, again. This game will satisfy your yearning for endless wandering through a painfully unimaginative world with blocky characters, cups, goblets and plates. This is the exact same game as oblivion only Bethesda has somehow managed to make the graphics look even more hideous despite taking advantage of the latest technology. ThereBethesda has done it again, folks. They released oblivion, again. This game will satisfy your yearning for endless wandering through a painfully unimaginative world with blocky characters, cups, goblets and plates. This is the exact same game as oblivion only Bethesda has somehow managed to make the graphics look even more hideous despite taking advantage of the latest technology. There are some neat effects here and there but the world is largely filled with dull, ugly textures and awful character models. It also seems that they have combed through their past games to make they replaced every interesting artistic idea with a generic fantasy cliché. I have no idea why they did this. Morrowind had plenty of original and imaginative artistic designs. This dull world feels awkward and floaty, just like the last game. The worst part of it is that there is almost no new content. Looking through the character choices, skills, items, they are all taken from oblivion. I could forgive the boring fantasy clichés, floaty combat, ugly graphics.. etc if there was actually some substantially new content here. All of the laudatory reviews seem to ignore this glaringly obvious issue. If you were hoping for another expansion pack for Oblivion than this game might be worth it. Expand
  41. Nov 13, 2011
    BLAND BLAND BLAND.

How this can get 10's from 10's of critics is beyond me. Oh, I have a thing or two to say about that.. 1. Design is bland. Enviroments look just the same as Oblivion, with the same random-dungeon-generation as Oblivion, with the same lack of feeling, charisma, distinctiveness. It's like it couldn't be made better looking and equally uninteresting at the same time. None
    BLAND BLAND BLAND.

1. Design is bland. Enviroments look just the same as Oblivion, with the same random-dungeon-generation as Oblivion, with the same lack of feeling, charisma, distinctiveness. It's like it couldn't be made better looking and equally uninteresting at the same time. None of the enviroments are actually connected to any type of function - they're just made to look awesome. Large expances? Check. Walkways floating in the air? Check. Underground lighting and strange floating plants? Check. Oh, and I started as a feline with enhanced vision to see in the dark. Think I ever needed to use it? Nope! Chuck Testa.

2. Game mechanics are bland. Wow, I got a sword that does 15 fire damage instead of 10. THAT's CONSIDERABLE. Oh, this sword does frost damage instead of fire, NEVERMIND, damagetype almost never matters ANYWAY. Perks? Yeah, 20% more damage, 40% more damage, can it get more flavorful? Oh, what's that I hear? You can get 25% chance to make monsters bleed from axes or something? ... Sorry, I think I fell asleep. Automatic difficulity adjustment is back, btw! Hell, you're wearing the best armor possible? Well, be prepared to be slaughtered by peasants and iron-armed cave-men. All for a decent challenge, you know!

3. Spells are bland. Fear, Spark, Fireball, Tashas hideus laughter - sorry, made the last one up. That one would actually been interesting. Make X do Y for Z seconds. Step-n-repeat. All elemental spells have same structure: Low-level, medium-level, high-level, a bit more awesome level, I can guess what this is going to be level, and I couln't care less level.

4. Dragons? Yeah, **** fly-like-on-rails one-trick-pony kill-them-the-same-way dragons. All look the same. Try killing them with a close-range weapon? HAH!!! Yeah right. Try instead getting them glich-stuck behind a tree and spend 20 minutes waiting for your mana to recharge or your petty spells to do your work. Dragon powers? You can become a ventriloquist! With great power comes great responsiblities!

5. Inventory? HAH! Be ready to spend equal time in the horrible menu-system as watching the scenery go by, slowly on a horse with no name that can actually run - for 10 seconds - then plot along. Potions of healing and Potions of health and Potions of Regeneration and Potions of **** well, all these are going to be just a blast scrolling though. Some heal you. Some doesn't. You'll just have to find all of them again and again. Easy to recognize visual representations? Pff.. who needs'em. Up, down, left, right. Get ready to be confused. Select skills without jumping to another skill and trying again and again and again and again and almost destrying your keyboard? You wish!

Well, at least it doesn't have any bugs.. ..oh, wait.
  42. Nov 12, 2011
    This game is one big marketing joke, it was anticipitated to the sky's, and look now? what an unfinished wierd ass game, yeah the game is BIG, and EMPTY, the controls are really stupid, the graphic havent changed much, caves, dungeons looks awfull in textures, dont be fooled here guys, this is not worth it, just can't accept that it gets 9/10 - 10/10 almost everywhere, now i dont give aThis game is one big marketing joke, it was anticipitated to the sky's, and look now? what an unfinished wierd ass game, yeah the game is BIG, and EMPTY, the controls are really stupid, the graphic havent changed much, caves, dungeons looks awfull in textures, dont be fooled here guys, this is not worth it, just can't accept that it gets 9/10 - 10/10 almost everywhere, now i dont give a s... about those reviews around anymore! normally i would give it 5-6/10 but because every "gamesite" is giving 9-10 witch is such a joke, then i only give it 0. its not even close to 7-8-9-10 at all.. Expand
  43. Nov 11, 2011
    Absolutely awful. Try remapping the keys to the keypad and you get "this key is reserved," even though it really isn't. The graphics are absolutely awful, the mouse control is absurd, and textures are washed out and bland. How did this hogwash get released for PC? Why did Bethesda even bother? I get the feeling that most of the reviews here saying "GAME OF THE YEAR" are payed reviewers.
  44. Nov 18, 2011
    it's a well done game in some ways, mainly if you're a console gamer.
    the menu designs are just horrible on pc, why can't i use my mouse???
    graphics are sub par, over hyped, and the character progression is painfully simple.
    i got bored and frustrated after only 6 hours in :/
  45. Nov 11, 2011
    I am so disappointed after waiting so long for the next Elder Scrolls. Morrowind and Oblivion are among my favorite games of all time, and when they were released were among the forefront of gaming as far as visuals, sound, and scale. Skyrim falls short, and is clearly not "next gen" material. The animations look so bad I want to quit. The outdoor visuals are pretty good but theI am so disappointed after waiting so long for the next Elder Scrolls. Morrowind and Oblivion are among my favorite games of all time, and when they were released were among the forefront of gaming as far as visuals, sound, and scale. Skyrim falls short, and is clearly not "next gen" material. The animations look so bad I want to quit. The outdoor visuals are pretty good but the dungeons look exactly like Oblivion. Facial animations are terrible, and the scripted events the first 10 minutes were so bad I didn't think I could make it through them. Come on Bethesda! Its been many years since the last Elder Scrolls, this one should be SO much better -- instead it looks like a highly modded Oblivion. I watched a temple/dungeon just "appear" as I walked up to it -- that's 90's game crap. I can't believe the people giving this game such good reviews. And its SO clear that Bethesda put ZERO effort into the PC version: its clearly for consoles to the point where a mouse and keyboard are very awkward (and they should be better than a controller/gamepad). I've never bought into the conspiracy that game review websites get "paid" by big publishers/developers, but any site giving this more than a 7 is getting paid, sites giving it more than a 4 are drinking the Koolaid. Bethesda, this has been a huge disappointment for a long-time fan. Expand
  46. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is really broken on PC, it's unbelievable that reviewers do not take into account whether developers put in any effort on the version (PC) of the game that they are rating. Bethesda have sadly been extremely lazy on the PC side. I'm not talking about no added bells and whistles, I'm simply talking about basic PC functionality not working.

- Numerous graphical issues - Alt-tab

- Numerous graphical issues
    - Alt-tab causing hangs/crashes (this isn't even hard to fix!)
    - No borderless windowed mode
    - No key bindings
    - Little/no support for non-xbox controllers
    - Mouse acceleration cannot be disabled

Unfortunately this was a double day 1 purchase for myself and my wife so we could play through it this weekend, but it looks like this game is hardly playable in its current state (on our 2 PC's). A friend of ours woke up at silly o' clock to play it and ended up going back to sleep because of what a terrible state it is in. I wouldn't be complaining if this issue was limited to a single machine, but the fact is that this game is very broken on all the machines that ourselves and our friend have tried it on.

If you haven't bought this game already, I would recommend not purchasing it until it is fixed.
  47. Nov 12, 2011
    The Professional review sites are officially dead. It's not just a coincidence any more, they are obviously bought and paid for.

This is a really mediocre console port, and not a successor to Elder Scrolls: Morrowind or even Oblivion. The controls are 'horrible'. The interface/inventory/etc., is horrible. The story and voice acting, are really bad, the intro was boring and very linear and quickly care nothing at all about any of the forced, rushed, generic characters. Voice acting is in spots good and in other spots, well, spotty. Exploration feels about the worst ever for an Elder Scrolls game and environments have a really weird scale to them, that makes everything feel squished and steep, like walking up the side of a cliff just feels really weird, like everything is made out of 80 degree angles.

Controls make this game basically un-playable, they ruin combat. Dunno what the developers were thinking, but my guess is that they didn't want to catch all the major BS they would catch if they just stopped making PC games, so they just do this instead. Bad news though, I wouldn't even enjoy this as a console game, the original Morrowind played on the original Xbox was better (I know because that's how I played it through the first time and I pre-ordered that old classic...)
  48. Nov 13, 2011
    The lack of acknowledgement by so many reviewers about how broken this game is for some people only makes the fact that it is unplayable that much more upsetting. Out of the box the game has critical control issues thanks to it's sparkling new consolized engine. The mouse is floaty and awkward feeling and inputs come out late. You can look up a wide variety of fixes and tweaks for theseThe lack of acknowledgement by so many reviewers about how broken this game is for some people only makes the fact that it is unplayable that much more upsetting. Out of the box the game has critical control issues thanks to it's sparkling new consolized engine. The mouse is floaty and awkward feeling and inputs come out late. You can look up a wide variety of fixes and tweaks for these problems, but it MAY NOT ACTUALLY FIX THEM. Nothing online seems to address the fact that the mouse inputs--even the clicks--are not simply delayed. If you do not hold down the button for long enough, NOTHING WILL HAPPEN. You can mash right or left click as fast as you can and your character will not swing his or her weapon because you are not holding the button long enough for it to read it. Worse yet, Bethesda offers no support for these things that actually work--their forums are probably being flooded with registration requests and validation emails simply never happen, so you can't even post about your problem and post specs to get support. I feel really angry that I paid $60 at launch expecting something that was actually playable, but I guess that was simply too naive. Expand
  49. Nov 11, 2011
    Didn't give a zero for review cause they still managed to port this game from the 360. I highly like RPG games and been playing Elder Scrolls since Daggerfall but after playing a few hours it doesn't grab me at all like Morrowind or Oblivion. The fights are absurdly easy, doesn't require any skill (another game gone bad due to xbox ports). I liked the graphics in Morrowind more then inDidn't give a zero for review cause they still managed to port this game from the 360. I highly like RPG games and been playing Elder Scrolls since Daggerfall but after playing a few hours it doesn't grab me at all like Morrowind or Oblivion. The fights are absurdly easy, doesn't require any skill (another game gone bad due to xbox ports). I liked the graphics in Morrowind more then in this game. Strolling through the map is one of my favourite things to do in other Elder Scroll games but this game doesn't offer any fun in doing so. Its one big hyped RPG suited for the XBox generation... very sad Expand
  50. Nov 13, 2011
    Simply terrible. This is the worst Elder Scrolls game I've ever played, and I've been playing them for many, many years. I don't know what Bethesda was thinking, but they simply failed miserably on this one, and never again will I give Bethesda MY heard earned money for any game with Bethesda anywhere near it.

First and foremost, the game is unfinished. It should have stayed in

First and foremost, the game is unfinished. It should have stayed in development for another 3-6 months. The UI horrible. The worst ever in a Elder Scrolls game. It's a main in the @** to navigate because it was designed for consoles, and Bethesda was too lazy to fine the UI for the PC version. If my $60 is going to support a company who is too lazy to spend a couple more days to refine the UI for the PC version, then I'll send that $60 elsewhere next time.

Secondly, the combat. They went backwards instead of forwards with the combat. The screen pitches and rolls far too much. It makes me nausea and dizzy, so I started playing from third person view, which is undoubtedly, not properly implemented. It has input lag where the first person view does not, and the animations are laughable. Not to mention, avoid those trolls because they'll send you flying 200 ft in the air with one swing. Good job Bethesda! Don't take that in a positive way, because it's not -- it's meant to be a smart-@** remark telling you good job on screwing this one up after years of anticipation. Not to mention, the map system simply is terrible. Additionally, they should have just left the map out if they weren't going to do any better than this. It's so terrible it's not even usable. It doesn't help with navigation at all, unlike in Oblivion. Then within 30 minutes it the game they make you spend 30-45 minutes trying to find your way through this mountain to get to your next objective. What in the hell was Bethesda thinking if anything? I can see this after playing the game for 4-6 hours, but not as a second step in the main quest within 30-45 minutes of starting the game. Shameful Bethesda, you are now simply terrible.

The ONLY reason I even gave this game a 1 is because of the soundtrack, or it would have simply just gotten a 0. Bethesda, patch this pile of junk you released, redo the UI so it's mouse friendly, fix the lag in the third person view, fix the trolls, revamp the map, because it simply sucks, add more presentation to the game, because as it is it's just a simple mindless quest grind with voice over until you reach the end of the story. There is simply nothing in the game that drives the story forward Go visit BioWare and take some lessons from them -- you can learn a lot from them. Trust me, because you flopped on this game.

$60 I wish I had kept.
  51. Nov 12, 2011
    Many of the mistakes from Oblivion makes it into this game as well. * Big empty world
    * Level scaling which makes leveling up totally pointless. Did they not get the point from the critics after Oblivion?
    * Inventory in most chests are rubbish. I worked my way through a big dungeon and the end chest contained 6 gold!! That is so pathetic! On the pc, many textures look like they are

On the pc, many textures look like they are from a 8 year old game. Skyrim looks VERY dated on the pc.

The whole interface is just wrong for a pc game. It's made for console and do not make use of the advantages of a keyboard and mouse. It even installs and starts with a game controller as the default input device. That really says it all I guess :(

The only thing Bethesda has put even more effort in since Oblivion is the hype they created for Skyrim.
    I like the Fallout games, but Skyrim is a sorry excuse for a new age rpg.

The more I play this game the more it feels just boring and wrong.

Shame on you Bethesda.

The game deserve more than 0, but to compensate for all the misplaced high scores that is what it gets from me.
  52. Nov 12, 2011
    Now now .... where to begin. The controls on the PC are just awful and no remapping(in 2011?) and when i say controls i dont only mean the combat oriented ones but the interface ones too . This is propably due to the fact that Bethesda could not take the time to "smoothen" that console port of a game. Combat is still as awful as it was in Oblivion withconstatly bugging animations and withNow now .... where to begin. The controls on the PC are just awful and no remapping(in 2011?) and when i say controls i dont only mean the combat oriented ones but the interface ones too . This is propably due to the fact that Bethesda could not take the time to "smoothen" that console port of a game. Combat is still as awful as it was in Oblivion withconstatly bugging animations and with no actual feel of the weapon or the incoming hits and ofc as simple skillwise as ever , I bet "shank" which is an action game can produce more moves and with better mouse/keyboard response.
    The graphics and audio are mediocre to say the least which is rather interesting since the elder scrolls series after morrowind used to be well known for their cutting edge video/audio making us tremple thinking the amount of moneuy it will take to witness the awesomeness.
    Even storywise Skyrim falls short to its heritage with detached and boring sidequests blinking lights and everything expressed in "easy" words directed ofc to your average console gamer. To be honest thought i can't really speak for the main plot since im not too far into it yet.
    So conclusion is that this is not a highly anticipated PC RPG game but a rather mediocre console action/rpg that just hapened to be ported to PC because of its heritage. Thank you bethesda for not giving me the heads up and i wasted my money.
  53. Nov 11, 2011
    Thumbs up Bethesda!! once again you released a barely unplayable **** game, leaving it for modders to fix it...
    Well, this game ended up being a terrible console port after all..No surprises. I'm sure most people playing this game don't care. But as a PC gamer, this is unacceptable. The irony that on PC, it's virtually unplayable with a mouse and keyboard... Don't bother getting it if you don't have a 360 controller. The UI was made for controller only. And sadly you will have to go through menus quite a bit. There's some hot-keys and a 'favorites' menu but it really is poor. Combat system is also appalling, we're close to 2012 and Bethesda still hasn't learnt a thing yet. It really feels awkward when swinging your weapon. Your just slashing your way at an enemy, occasionally blocking and pulling back until a random finishing kill pops up. Using magic and weapons during combat is a pain in the neck. You have to un equip your weapon to use spells, and re equip your weapon once your done.
    AI is not that great either to not say worse. There's more actors this time but most of them have boring dialogues and feel they forced. Finally, I haven't played the game enough to comment on the world but so far it feels and looks dull. I'm still laughing how all reviewers seem to give crap games like this a 9.0 - 9.5..
  54. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim promises to be more than what Bethesda games have been in the past, yet still fails and manages to fall flat on its face as one of the biggest flops of the year. The animations are as stiff as ever, the voice actor count is still incredibly low for such a high budget game, and of course the game follows the usual bethesda trend of not only being incomplete without mods - it'sSkyrim promises to be more than what Bethesda games have been in the past, yet still fails and manages to fall flat on its face as one of the biggest flops of the year. The animations are as stiff as ever, the voice actor count is still incredibly low for such a high budget game, and of course the game follows the usual bethesda trend of not only being incomplete without mods - it's incredibly buggy, the gameplay systems are broken and the graphics are horrendous, there are still empty spots for them to fill in later with DLC. Expand
  55. Nov 11, 2011
    More proof that 'professional' game evaluators are clueless console lovers... This SCREAMS console port... Even stinks of it...

Can't change weapons without bringing up your 'favorite' list (can't even assign weapons or spells to 1-5, etc.). Graphics still look really bad... Hair looks like they used 200 cans of gel or spray, cloth doesn't flow... And even AI movements are totally unbelievable. I.E. If you wake the bear in the tutorial part, it stands and spins without moving it's legs. And that's on Ultra settings... I can't say more without being a spoiler of sorts. Anyhow; screenshots can look nice but movement looks awful. And unfortunately, so do far too many textures, areas, etc.

GET OFF THE DECADE OLD TECH AND MAKE A REAL GAME FOR GOODNESS SAKE! Consoles again ruin gaming... Oblivion, with the High-Res texture pack, looks better... And I've had it crash once already just going through the tutorial... Random 'flash to windows'... And this is on a modern (1100T/6970), non-OCed system with all current drivers. So bug-free it isn't. It's not super-bad but... It does crash...

At best, it feels like a new control system for Oblivion or Fallout. At worst, it stinks of console in every way. Still no crouch (really?!?) accept 'sneak'. multifunction select system instead of weapon button assignment (1-5). Even most other console ports can at least get that part right...

I DARE a developer to make a REAL, Modern gaming engine... But they won't, until consoles catch back up; which they won't... so again, PC users get the shaft...
  56. Apr 26, 2015
    The base game of Skyrim is buggy and CTD often, the main story is boring and without mods this game is broken.

If it wasn't for modding this game would have died years ago, and now thanks to paid mods there will be a pay wall for things like GUI fixes that the modding community made. Bethesda takes a 45% cut from all paid mod sales Valve take 30% and the modder gets 25% there is no

pay wall for things like GUI fixes that the modding community made.

Bethesda takes a 45% cut from all paid mod sales Valve take 30% and the modder gets 25% there is no way to get a refund of real money if you buy a mod and it doesn't work you have a 24 hour period in which you can be refunded store credit not real money.

There is also no way to be sure what a mod is like because Steam have locked the forums for these paid mods unless you buy them so they expect you to buy blind.

There is also no way to insure consumer are protected from mods being dropped or patching causing games to break and people buying mods may be left out of pocket with a broken game/save due to bad modding.
  57. Apr 26, 2015
    In what way, shape or form do paid mods (with only 25% of earnings going toward the creator, mind you) help the modding, skyrim or overarching gaming community? Why can't we just donate? Why do Valve and Bethesda get a 75 PERCENT CUT from content they didn't even create, promote, endorse, support, etc? This is an unforgivable move. Forget Valve, forget Bethesda, forget Steam.
  58. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim is a fantastic game, well worth Steam's full price.

Skyrim is a fantastic game, well worth Steam's full price.

That being said, however, I would not advise anyone to buy this game. Recently, Valve decided to implement a broken system in which users can charge for their mods on the workshop. This has led to extensive copyright infringement, the stifling of creativity, loss of quality control, and greed. Overall, it has divided the once thriving and friendly modding community in two, and I would advise anyone to not give Valve your money for this game until they undo the broken system they've put in and replace it with a donation button.

Valve has done this, they claim, so "players can give back to modders for their work", however the fact that only 25% of the profits goes to modders reveals the true nature of Valve's intent; a money ploy for themselves and Bethesda, in which they recieve 75% of the profits for something they had no involvement in. Furthermore, many steam users posting their thoughts on the forums have been suspended for a week or more from steam, their comments taken down.

Skyrim is a great game, made even greater by the mods that the generous community has put out for years. It's really too bad it had to come to this...

This review will be taken down once Valve announces that paid modding will be no more.
  59. Apr 26, 2015
    The main argument for buying Skyrim on PC has never been its gameplay, nor its story, graphics or soundtrack, but the sheer amount of ever-improving content produced every day by a passionate fanbase. In fact, 90% of the time I sunk into this game was spent with over a hundred mods enabled, many of which undoubtedly deserve donations for the high-quality of their content. This is whyThe main argument for buying Skyrim on PC has never been its gameplay, nor its story, graphics or soundtrack, but the sheer amount of ever-improving content produced every day by a passionate fanbase. In fact, 90% of the time I sunk into this game was spent with over a hundred mods enabled, many of which undoubtedly deserve donations for the high-quality of their content. This is why Bethesda games still sell for so long after their initial release.

And yet, Bethesda and Valve have now chosen to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. With Skyrim's new paid mods system, the former takes the lion's share of the modder's profits, while the latter enables them to do so, and don't expect to get any quality control from either. Worse, this paywall will tear the modding community apart, starting with Nexus. This is a dark day for PC gaming.

Until Bethesda and Valve cease their unhealthy business practices, I cannot recommend TESV : Skyrim anymore.

By the way, don't even think of playing Fallout 4 with 100+ mods enabled as you might have with previous Bethesda games, unless you're an oil magnate.
  60. Apr 26, 2015
    Without mods this game would be a 6 or 7.
    With mods this game is a 10/10
    but, With paid mods that are shattering a once great community it's a 0/10
  61. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods will destroy the pillar of PC gaming, this needs to stop. this will not only hinder this amazing game but every single gamer as a whole do not let this happen or approve this practice. No to paid mods.
  62. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid Mods? How much milking are these companies going to do on consumers? Gabe has always talked about how Valve has been "growing exponentially every year" or how he's "so open to communities interacting and sharing ideas/mods." For the former I ask, if Valve has been growing every year, then why would they feel the need to have paid mods that they take a 75% CUT from? For the latter,Paid Mods? How much milking are these companies going to do on consumers? Gabe has always talked about how Valve has been "growing exponentially every year" or how he's "so open to communities interacting and sharing ideas/mods." For the former I ask, if Valve has been growing every year, then why would they feel the need to have paid mods that they take a 75% CUT from? For the latter, if Valve/Beth are open to people modding their games, then why are they dividing the community by having paid mods? Expand
  63. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods are the most toxic thing to the gaming community and mods are what made Skyrim, without them the game would be mediocre at best. Likely Bethesda/ZeniMax making up for their epic eso failure, greedy basturds!
  64. Apr 26, 2015
    Designed to bleed as much money as possible. Best selling Bethesda title of all time, primarily thanks to modders. Wants to take profits from their work because they screwed up TESO: makes Skyrim a money making scheme off of other people's work. Game is ruined, stay clear.
  65. Apr 26, 2015
    The developers are ruining the community by allowing paid mods. There is no quality control with these mods, and the mod creators get 25% of the cost they charge.
  66. Apr 26, 2015
    I am giving this game a very low score due to the recent announcement of paid mods.

how wonderful! That way when a paid mod (DLC) breaks valve/bethesda can just put their hands up and direct your anger back at some poor modder. All while they take a 75% cut.

disliked, thumbs down, unsubscribed
  67. YML
    Apr 26, 2015
    One of the best games of all time...until Bethesda decided to turn free, user-made mods into money-making DLCs, only without the quality control of actual DLCs.
  68. Apr 26, 2015
    I used to love this game then i got an Paid Mod arrow in my knee.

Then they walked over my body and said "Modders who worked on their ass to received 25% of the profit while we didn't do sh*t and finally laugh all the way to the bank with the rest of the profit".
  69. Apr 26, 2015
    The game before paid-for mods 8/10

The game without mods 6/10

The game now 1/10

When paid-for mods are removed it will again deserve an 8/10 rating. And since this review must be 150 characters long I will just write about how it must be 150 characters long until it is so I can post it. Is it still not 150 characters long
  70. Apr 26, 2015
    The game is pretty good. Expansive story and large amounts of content with meh graphics and a several glitches and bugs. Mods make it the single biggest, best looking, most immersive game on the planet.

I'd rate it 6 or 7 standalone. 10 with mods. 0 with paid mods. A paid marketplace was instituted by Valve, which is, as Forbes described it, "a legal, moral, and ethical disaster." Mods made the game. Valve has unmade mods.
  71. Apr 26, 2015
    Elder Scrolls is a game series made great by the modding community. With the shift to paid mods, the community will suffer as a whole, as well as the game.

Four days ago, I would have given this game a solid 9. Now, I'm giving it a 0 because my enjoyment of the game was based heavily on the mods I used and because I do not condone the greediness of Bethesda and Valve.
  72. Apr 26, 2015
    Don't pay for mods. Don't give Valve, or Bethesda, money for content they did not create. The entire notion of this system is shameful, disgusting, and insulting to the community that helped bring their mediocre franchise up to a legendary series.
  73. Apr 26, 2015
    Vanilla-Skyrim: 6/10 (compared to other RPGs Skyrim is disgrace to the RPG-Genre)
    Modded-Skyrim: 12+/10
    Skyrim with paywalled Mods: seriously? Not that I don't endorse modders, but why should Bethesda get paid for other people's work? Why should I pay for mods, where I have no guarantee that it'll work even with other current or future mods? Why can't I just donate to the modders
    Modded-Skyrim: 12+/10
    Skyrim with paywalled Mods: seriously?

Why can't I just donate to the modders directly if I'm satisfied with their work?
    Why do they even call it "mods"? These are obviously 3rd party DLCs.
  74. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods took one of the best open world games I have ever experienced a 10/10 in my opinion to a 1/10. Good Luck winning the community back Bethesda, you just shot yourself in the foot with the PC community.
  75. Apr 26, 2015
    What a great game, until paid mods completely ruined it. What were you all thinking? This game is a great example of an excellent game ruined by greed.
  76. Apr 26, 2015
    The game is awful without mods. Mods are going to be behind a pay wall. 0/10

Boycott $team Work$hop. Don't support bad business practices. Don't give Bethesda or Valve your money.
  77. Apr 26, 2015
    Fantasic game, what with all the free mods that you can get. It would be a crappy game if, I don't know, you had to pay $2.99 for each of the 50 mods you want to use.
  78. Apr 26, 2015
    I sure do love all this third party DLC! Yessiree, paid mods was a FANTASTIC IDEA! If you want to play this game I'd recommend you get it from Kickass.to or something. Don't give Bethesda or Valve any money, the retards don't deserve it.
  79. Apr 26, 2015
    I fell in love with Oblivion, the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood were what fueled this love. Coming into Skyrim I had high hopes for it and I was hugely let down. I no longer felt like I was part of a family or even drawn the to characters and this was such a letdown to me.
    The mods for this game are what kept my interest in the series, and with the introduction of paid mods I have just completely lost my respect for the game once again.
  80. Apr 26, 2015
    Paying for mods.

fuggin character limit REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  81. Apr 26, 2015
    This game is great, paid mods aren't. The vanilla game is nothing without the mods. If you do not believe this, try the vanilla game for a while. Then check out the YouTube mod channels and get a glimpse of what you are missing. It is also fair to say that the top paid-for mods are a joke. The majority are cut/pasted from someone else, or they break immersion with horrible bugs, or lookThis game is great, paid mods aren't. The vanilla game is nothing without the mods. If you do not believe this, try the vanilla game for a while. Then check out the YouTube mod channels and get a glimpse of what you are missing. It is also fair to say that the top paid-for mods are a joke. The majority are cut/pasted from someone else, or they break immersion with horrible bugs, or look like they were made with the tool kit in half an hr. Will bump to 10/10 if they get rid of paid mods. Expand
  82. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods...without mods this game just does not hold up. It is not where near as good as oblivion or morrowind. Thanks valve...for screwing this up.,
  83. Apr 26, 2015
    This game enjoyed years of success because of a highly motivated and creative modding community, unbound by an incentive to create for cash. Now, Bethesda decides it's alright to sell mods on Steam, with mod authors receiving only 25% from their labor.

Greed is bad. Stabbing a community renowned for their support of the game and its post-release success even after many years is even worse.

0/10 for a game that 'used' to be cool
  84. Apr 26, 2015
    Valve and Bethesda say they are supporting modders on steam by allowing people to put a price on mods when actually they're leeching off them. mods on nexus are being taken down and put on steam severely reducing the modding community. 0/10
  85. Apr 27, 2015
    Skyrim is a fun game, but to get the best experience, you need to install a bunch of mods. These mods are made by hobbyists, who want to do something good for the community, in an environment of mutual co-operation, honest criticism, and an urge to try new things. It's pretty much the last safe haven from the cynical strategies of manufactured blockbusters and DLC.

Now this fine

Now this fine tradition is under attack from corporate fat cats who want to earn a slice of the pie for doing nothing. It amounts to the routine exploitation of hobbyists. This isn't just a bad business move, though; it hurts the game. Already, we have seen free versions of mods incorporate nags to upgrade to the paid verison. We've seen modders take their work off the Nexus because frauds are stealing their work and uploading it for a fee on the Workshop. We've also seen free mods taken down and uploaded exclusive to the Workshop, hidden behind a paywall. I'm not sure how anyone could sustain the argument that this will result in a better product, or that it doesn't affect everyone adversely.

Perhaps most disturbingly, the move incentivises publishers to coerce develoepers into releasing a faulty or incomplete game, because they stand to benefit from the content and fixes that the community will surely provide. They might as well lay off some of their staff as well, because they have a plentiful source of cheap labour in hobbyists.

Don't listen to the lies of those who advocate paid mods. Tell a friend about the disturbing precedent that was set last week by Valve and Bethesda. Free the mods!
  86. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim is a mediocre fantasy hack-and-slash with boring Fedex quests, unmemorable NPCs, shallow combat mechanics, ok graphics, terrible UI, and the list goes on. Despite its flaws, it sold millions and continues to be popular thanks to the wonderful modding community. But money grubbing Bethesda and Valve aren't satisfied until they milk their fanbase dry. They monetize mods under theSkyrim is a mediocre fantasy hack-and-slash with boring Fedex quests, unmemorable NPCs, shallow combat mechanics, ok graphics, terrible UI, and the list goes on. Despite its flaws, it sold millions and continues to be popular thanks to the wonderful modding community. But money grubbing Bethesda and Valve aren't satisfied until they milk their fanbase dry. They monetize mods under the guise of supporting modders, while taking 75% of the profits for doing absolutely nothing. This system is shameful, manipulative and benefits only the corporations, not the gamers or modders. Say no to paid mods! Expand
  87. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mod is the really bad idea. this completely destroy free mod community. i think donation button for supporting modder is a good method. Sorry for my English.
  88. Apr 27, 2015
    Hiding user created content behind a pay-wall is absolutely disgusting behavior. Bethesda is a greedy company that wants to suck the life force out of the vibrant modding community. Do not buy this game, even if it's free.
  89. Apr 27, 2015
    Two words : Paid Mods . Enough said. Now you might ask Why such a big fuss about mods ? Well , you see , mods are a quintesential part to gaming in general both keeping games alive for many many years and providing a third party support source when the developers fail. This modding community has existed for ages and had no problem doing this for free (and they still don't have any problemTwo words : Paid Mods . Enough said. Now you might ask Why such a big fuss about mods ? Well , you see , mods are a quintesential part to gaming in general both keeping games alive for many many years and providing a third party support source when the developers fail. This modding community has existed for ages and had no problem doing this for free (and they still don't have any problem with it). But alas , corporations like Bethesda/Zenimax and Valve are greedy and want to destroy a pillar of the gaming culture yet again . First were the dlcs now , unless we do something , there will be paid mods. Expand
  90. Apr 27, 2015
    hiding mods behind paywall is disgraceful. Its a scam and they all need to feel internet hate machine back in action. If you want to reward modders donate. no shekels for bethesda
  91. Apr 27, 2015
    Paid mods with only 25% of the money going to the creator?

As a bonus most of the mods aren't even worth the cost anyway.

Needs to be replaced with an entirely option donate button not this promised 'pay what you want' nonsense.
  92. Apr 27, 2015
    Paid mods. Terrible. There's not a consumerbase on earth who should have to put up with this kind of blatant price-gouging anti-consumer practices. Ever.
  93. Apr 27, 2015
    Game was OK at best vanilla, but full of bugs. The only way to fix bugs and make the game enjoyable was to add mods, which now the developer feels we should pay for, To fix their shortcomings, Its a joke really.
  94. Apr 27, 2015
    This game without mods - 4/10
    This game with mods - 10/10
    This game with paid mods - 0/10

Congratulations for destroying the biggest modding community in the world in one day, Valve.
  95. Apr 27, 2015
    This game would have been long forgotten if it weren't for the faithful modding community.

Creating paid mods not only destroys the spirit of the community, but also destroys the one truly good reason to play this game.

This blatantly shameless money grab has not gone unnoticed and unfortunately, causes me to give a game with great potential a pass.
  96. Jan 27, 2014
    Terribly disappointing. When will we stop rewarding Bethesda for these incredibly low-quality games? It's like watching a production of Shakespeare where the actors and crew are drunk - the story may be compelling and the backdrop spectacular, but the entire performance is doomed to failure. From the interface to the voice acting to the animations, this game is sub-par. For God's sakeTerribly disappointing. When will we stop rewarding Bethesda for these incredibly low-quality games? It's like watching a production of Shakespeare where the actors and crew are drunk - the story may be compelling and the backdrop spectacular, but the entire performance is doomed to failure. From the interface to the voice acting to the animations, this game is sub-par. For God's sake Bethesda, get a better QA department! Expand
  97. Apr 27, 2015
    Paid mods are bad for consumers for games for mod comunity. Until retracted bad rewiev will stay intact. Dont bow down to this new form of DLC. Have some decency
  98. Apr 27, 2015
    Free the mods. **** you. RIP modding. I will avoid Valve and Bethesda in the future and i will never spend any money on a mod. Greedy ****s. Cant spell ValvEA without EA
  99. Apr 27, 2015
    Skyrim - 0/10
    Gabe - 0/10
    Bethesda/Zenimax - 0/10

I can see what they were trying but blimey, could they have got it any more wrong?

This all needs to die.
  100. Apr 27, 2015
    Game was mediocre in every aspect and its only saving grace was modding. Now with Valve being greedy merchants, there's nothing redeeming qualities to this game. It's even worse on console as well solely because of the fact that they're limited machines made to be worse than PCs.

1. Feb 29, 2012
  2. Feb 14, 2012
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012