8.2

1. Apr 25, 2015
    Do not support Bethesda any more. They were always horrible, but they had some redeeming features which brought us back. Long have they released unfinished games for full price, and expected modders to fix them. But now they're reaping profits from these modders with paid mods, the developers of the mods are getting miniscule profits from THEIR OWN WORK and steam has been removing donateDo not support Bethesda any more. They were always horrible, but they had some redeeming features which brought us back. Long have they released unfinished games for full price, and expected modders to fix them. But now they're reaping profits from these modders with paid mods, the developers of the mods are getting miniscule profits from THEIR OWN WORK and steam has been removing donate links! The game itself is boring and needs to be modded to have any fun to begin with. Expand
  2. Apr 26, 2015
    Like most Bethesda games, Skyrim is only mediocre when played without mods. With mods, the cool factor rises a million times over. Mods let you change almost every element of the game, adding immeasurable fun, and replay value. With that said, this is going to be a negative review because Bethesda, and Valve, have enabled a system where modders can now sell their mods on Steam.

This act

This act has already led to some modders pulling their mods from free sites like Nexus. Why is it a bad thing for modders to be paid for their work? Because that's not what modding is all about. I also mod, but I would never charge someone for something that is essentially done for fun, and with the notion of sharing with others. Modding has always been something done by the fans of a game, for other fans of the game.

For companies like Steam, and Bethesda, to try to monetize that, is nothing more than greed. And get this, the modders only recieve 25% of what they charge for their mods. Guess who gets the other 75%. This move sets a really bad precedent for things to come. You may not play Skyrim, but what if Valve started doing this to all their games? Modders for all games could potentially start charging people, and then the whole modding community would just turn into a huge market that nets big money for greedy corporations.

So, though I had fun with it in the past, I do not recommend Skyrim to anyone. It's your call to get it, but when the only thing that makes the game any good, is about to become paid DLC, that's when the game turns foul in my mind.
    Posted April 23.
  3. Apr 26, 2015
    This game now has paid mods. What more could possibly be said to explain how complete and utter **** Valve and Bethesda are? If you want modders to make money just **** donate to them. It's **** worked so far.
  4. Apr 25, 2015
    Yeah, I've got a lot of hours in this one. It USED TO BE good. It's not anymore. Let's have a history lesson, shall we?

Bethesda releases The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind for the PC on June 6th, 2002 (GOTY edition on November 7th, 2003). So incredibly buggy that sometimes it was unplayable. This game had a LOT of issues with it and the ironic thing was that the majority of the issues were ironed out, via mods made by the CONSUMERS. Once fixed it had a certain charm to it that made it fun.

Fast forward to March 20th, 2006 (September 10th, 2007 GOTY) for Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion. Again, not the most bug-free game. Not quite as glitchy as Morrowind but still, mods released made some of the glitches and oddities go away.

October 28th, 2008 marks the release of Fallout 3. A step backward in terms of bugginess as this one had quite a few in it. Oblivion definitely played better on release than this one did. Mods were made, bugs were eliminated. Notice a pattern yet? No? I'll keep going then.

October 19th, 2010 rolls around, and out pops Fallout: New Vegas. Same engine as Oblivion and Fallout 3. Lots of the same bugs herein. Lots of mods made to combat the aforementioned bugs.

Now we come to Skyrim. Same pattern as before except now Bethesda wants a cut of the modding profits. A LARGE cut. They want to monetize mods, some of which are (and will eventually be) consumer made BUG FIXES to content/bugs Bethesda released into the game themselves. They want to get paid for content and work they had nothing to do with outside of making the base textures/A.I. for the original game. Some of these mods are really quite original in what they do and Bethesda feels they need to get paid for having someone else think of what they couldn't when they made the game originally.

If the modders cut was bigger I'd probably be less angry. But it's not. Skip this one, don't put more money into Bethesdas' pockets. Save your money for other companies that don't try to get rewarded for work they didn't do or for the work YOU did.
  5. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim, one of the most modded games, just got paid mods because of greed from Valve and Bethesda.
    Bravo Valve and Bethesda, you've lost a lot of customers with this move.
  6. Apr 26, 2015
    I'll change my review if they get rid of putting mods behind a Paywall.

Bethesda and Valve are encouraging modders to place their mods behind a Paywall in a pre-existing open source modding community. The problems with that should be obvious. (Extremely easy to steal other people's work or steal it and change it to be unrecognizable) Not only that, but they want to take 75% of the
    I'll change my review if they get rid of putting mods behind a Paywall.

other people's work or steal it and change it to be unrecognizable)

Not only that, but they want to take 75% of the proceeds modders make and won't even give smaller modders anything until they make over $400, of that they only get $100.

Nexus on the other hand. has a donation button pop-up. If you like the mod you can donate directly to the mod creator. 100% of the proceeds go to the author for doing all the work, instead of valve and Bethesda stealing 75% of the money for doing nothing
  7. Apr 26, 2015
    This game without mods - 4/10
    This game with mods - 10/10
    This game with paid mods - 0/10

Congratulations for destroying the biggest modding community in the world in one day, Valve.
  8. Apr 25, 2015
    Was one of my favourite games before corporate greed reigned supreme. Best mod workshop in all of steam now hidden behind a paywall, pay for extra apple, pay for extra map marker, only 2 dollars to play fishing mini game. I am done with this game 0/10 will not play or recommend again
  9. Apr 25, 2015
    Paid mods.This game killed modding.Do not buy.Do not support Bethesda!Do not support Valve!

They monetised the part that was making their game playable and killed the community for a few dollars more!
  10. Apr 26, 2015
    A buggy plattform that try to take credit of other peoples hard work.
    The Company is a greedy pile of **** with no soul.
    Go to the corner of shame and dont you dare try to leave it!
  11. Apr 26, 2015
    Valve and Bethesda betrayed the community for their own wealth. They take a cut of 75% from paid mods. Imagine every mod you own costs a few dollars! And now Skyrim is not the only game you want to play with mods... You will pay hundreds of $$$$$ and only 25% go to the prostituted modders.. Thats moddern slavery. STOP the rape!
  12. Apr 26, 2015
    This game is neutered thanks to Valve, Bethesda and a legion of whores who can be bought on the cheap.
    Look forward to an app store clone in the making full of overpriced mini-dlc content. The well has been poisoned people and you know who you'll have to thank for that.
  13. Apr 26, 2015
    You know to me skyrim was a real deal I would pay 50 bucks plus the expansion and get tons of beatuful free mods to enjoy and hours of new gameplay.
    Now what you get is chance to make Valve even more rich by stealing money to the modders and asking players to pay for stuff which was born free!
  14. Apr 23, 2015
    Paying for mods? Is this some kind of sick cruel joke? This decision makes Nintendo's decision to take ad revenue from YouTube streamers look smart. This game isn't worth playing without the mods.
  15. Apr 23, 2015
    Now with 1,000,000% more paid DLC, first horse armor now this. Greedy company is, greedy. I wouldn't buy another game from them if they paid me to take it.
  16. Apr 25, 2015
    Was a great game, then they started forcing people to pay for mods. Bethesda and Valve have shown their true colours, and how can we stand for this? Fix the Workshop!
  17. Apr 25, 2015
    Endless bugs, dull mainquest, nothing-to-do open world... and now the trojan horse of the modding comunity invasion. This game will sure be remembered. Bethesda, Valve; get gud.
  18. Apr 25, 2015
    paywalls for mods hurts everone please i want you to get mad and stand and say im a human being god dame it and im not gong to take this any more if we don't stop valve and bethesda now we will lose every thing please give this a 0 and save mods
  19. Apr 25, 2015
    Paid mods. Avoid at all costs. Paid mods. Avoid at all costs. Paid mods. Avoid at all costs. Paid mods. Avoid at all costs. Paid mods. Avoid at all costs. Paid mods. Avoid at all costs. Paid mods. Avoid at all costs. Paid mods. Avoid at all costs. Paid mods. Avoid at all costs. Paid mods. Avoid at all costs. Paid mods. Avoid at all costs. Paid mods. Avoid at all costs.
  20. Apr 25, 2015
    Paid mods are **** cancer and do nothing except destroy the community. Valve and Bethesda are going to be hurt by this more than they will than the $20 they make off of the 10 people retarded enough to buy a mod.
  21. Apr 26, 2015
    This is more of a recommendation than a review.

I love this game a lot, but the entire community is being ruined by paid mods on the Steam Workshop. Yes, you may wonder why I post here and not on Steam, but these paid mods affect the entirety of the Skyrim modding community, and until this stops, Skyrim is going to be a near ruined game. I do not want this to happen, and therefore I
    This is more of a recommendation than a review.

I do not want this to happen, and therefore I leave a negative review.
  22. Apr 26, 2015
    Get farmville its got better graphics and pay mods at least have support.
    Or buy this game so bethesda and valve don't starve to death, we all know gaben cannot afford to miss a meal.
  23. Apr 24, 2015
    Don't buy. Mods are being charged for on steam workshop. Have to pay $$$ to play user created content. Don't support the developers! they working with steam to earn money off modders.
  24. Apr 24, 2015
    Used to be good with loads of mods now you need to pay for it, base game is **** and you need mods to acctually make it good, so if you like paying for unofficial patches buy it by all means, but it's not worth it anymore, game is **** without mods.
  25. Apr 24, 2015
    Paid mods. Do not support Valve or Bethesda. I will only be purchasing games from GOG.com (seriously, DRM free) GREENMANEGAMING.com and GAMERSGATE.com I will not purchase games on Steam until the reverse their decision and I will not be purchasing a Bethesda game until they remove paid mods. Never again. If you want to pay the modders add a donate button you dweebs.
  26. Apr 26, 2015
    A horrible day.Paid modding is added now and is killing the modding community.Once an ok game with mods is now utter trash.

Thank you Valve and Bethesda for ruining the modding community.
  27. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim truly is a great game with unlimited possibilities...when you have mods freely available. Without mods the game is subpar in all areas, and the recent paywall mod idea has destroyed the very reason for buying this game. Not only that, but they are on the path to destroying the entire concept of what a mod is- a modification done by a hobbyist and turning it into micro-dlc. ThisSkyrim truly is a great game with unlimited possibilities...when you have mods freely available. Without mods the game is subpar in all areas, and the recent paywall mod idea has destroyed the very reason for buying this game. Not only that, but they are on the path to destroying the entire concept of what a mod is- a modification done by a hobbyist and turning it into micro-dlc. This leads to modders not wanting to share their source materials and tips/tricks that could aid less experienced mod. From sharing to a paywalled modding community.

Skyrim truly has shot an arrow into their own knees with this paidmods move.
  28. Apr 26, 2015
    From one of my favorite franchises, to one i will avoid like the plague...How the mighty have fallen. This is a great game but Bethsoft have turned into greedy scum.
  29. Apr 26, 2015
    It a solid game as it is (vanilla), but to make more of it you will surely want to install a couple of mods. And they were free as they were made by modders that do it for love and fun. Now money grabbing bi* in Bethseda and Vulva want to charge for it and give measly 25% to the modders and keeping rest for themselves. Yea right.
  30. Apr 26, 2015
  31. Apr 25, 2015
    Bethesda has proven to be absolutely despicable with the recent changes to the Steam Workshop. They are tarnishing their reputation, and in doing so have caused the degradation of quality in their games.
  32. Apr 26, 2015
  33. Apr 23, 2015
    PAID MODS = DEAD GAME
    Congrats on killing one of the greatest things about PC gaming. You think people would still be playing TES Oblivion 9 years after launch if mods weren't free?
    Dream on, greedy pigs.
  34. Apr 24, 2015
    Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..
  35. Apr 24, 2015
    No Paid Mods NEVER

Los modders no son las putas baratas que hacen el trabajo que Bethesda no hizo en su momento.
    Mafiosos.
    Vergüenza puta vergüenza...
  36. Apr 26, 2015
    This game has it's problems, and it's strong points.

This game has it's problems, and it's strong points.

Bethesda tends to release expansive, games, brimming with potential, but their eyes also tend to be too big for their stomach so to speak. They end up releasing games brimming with bugs (Also in many of their games they seem incapable of actually making a normal humanoid head. Skyrim was the best so far at this). They've relied heavily on the mod community to fix these things after the beginnings of it in Daggerfall (where modding wasn't supported), with Morrowind, it was full on support for mods, and someone at Bethsoft should have rightfully gotten a huge pay raise. It helped make tons of loyal fans for the entire series, and if you think it didn't affect the success of the games? You are likely delusional.

Here are my problems with it.

Dumbed down. The removal of several systems that were present in previous iterations of the series were not an improvement. Skyrim often feels like it lacks customization.

Magic kind of sucks. It's been kind of going downhill for the entire series though, but there are several seemingly confusing oversights. Such as the lack of mark and recall spells.

Where are my vambraces? Sentence says it all.

The biggest downside now though: Paid mods. Yes the thing that skyrim relied on heavily since it's launch, and the thing Bethesda has been relying on for, idk a decade or so, is now open to purchase. Just like DLC, aren't you excited consumer? Oh and the creator of the content gets 25%, 45% going to bethsoft, and 30% going to Valve. So the person doing the work, gets a quarter on every dollar. Clearly a framework based on the outright exploitation of the work of others for financial gain. The legal issues alone are staggering, unlicensed student versions of 3dsmax, appropriation of the assets of others under a non-commercial license suddenly appearing in commercial mods, outright theft of mods, the fracturing of the modding community. It's a bad thing. They did this game in, but hopefully we can all stop it here. Paid mods? No more.
  37. Apr 26, 2015
    as much as i adore this game, the lore, the franchise and the community built around it. i cannot in good conscience support such blatant abuse of the community.

the community has done nothing but support bethesda and the elder scrolls over the years, creating countless stories, extensions, creations and resources, extending what would otherwise be good games into incredible and endlessly expansible worlds, magnifying the value and influence of their games 100fold.

terry pratchett HIMSELF(of discworld fame) was an advocate of free and open modding, creating for the art and passion of improving other people's experiences. he worked on the famous companion vilja mods for oblivion and skyrim, he would be rolling in his grave if he saw the desecration of the community he loved so dearly at the hands of valve.

the community is incredibly interconnected, with shared resources, tools, inter-dependencies of mods relying on other mods to function, and people creating odds and ends for the simple enjoyment of having others make use of them and grow as creators, many of those have gone into hiding, locked away their mods and resources for fear of having them be taken and sold by less scrupulous individuals.

mod theft was rampant on the workshop before this, with many creators struggling to reclaim ownership of their hard work, this system just serves to reward the thieves more than they already are. leaving the workshop to moderate itself has left accountability at an all time low

i DO believe modders should be supported for their work, but not at the expense of tearing apart the community, shoving valuable resources behind a paywall, removing already existing beloved creations just so they could be hidden behind a price tag.

donations or a system similar to patreon where users can support mod development is what should have been done, while not be beholden to pay for a mod that may or may not even WORK with their system. but a straight up cash gate, with bethesda and valve claiming the VAST MAJORITY of the income for themselves, and giving the mod creators the left over scraps is COMPLETELY ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT UNACCEPTABLE, these people have worked their asses off out of love for you and your platforms for nearly a decade, and you exploit them as slave labor.

mod authors should be SUPPORTED, not scammed, the community should not be forced to pay out of their pocket for something that may not work with their system, or may outright be stolen, if the work is good and truly does what it says, is neither exploitative and abusive, then people will gladly support it in droves. this cash gate is unacceptable and 90% of the community knows it, only the most shameless of sycophants are in support of this mess.

bethesda and valve, along with those who have betrayed the community, either deliberately or unwittingly, have driven resource creators and artists into hiding, caused some of the most brilliant community members to shun everyone and pack up their work, locking it away in the depths of their hard drives out of fear of exploitation

i recommend you take your business elsewhere, play something else, buy an under appreciated indie game, as long as bethesda continues to exploit the community that elevated them to where they are today, they deserve nothing but our scorn. if they come to their senses and make amends for this atrocity, then maybe the community can begin to heal and they will restore our shattered respect for them
  38. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods? Is this a joke?
    This game with mods it's amazing, but it worths ZERO without them.
    This greedy move will lead to the end of modding and to the start of modding piracy. Thanks Bugthesda, thanks Vulva.
  39. Apr 25, 2015
    Avoid at all costs if buying on steam. Recently added a paid mods "feature" which has ruined the spirit of the game and the community. Please please please avoid. Teach Valve and Bethesda what they did wrong.
  40. Apr 26, 2015
    As a paying customer I am enittled to my opinion on and will cry fowl when something is wrong

from my point of view.Paying for 3rd party mods / dlc / micro-transaction is a bad idea and should never have been allowed to be add to the steam work shop. This will only make game devs more lazy and release even more broken games, so the free labor of modders can fix it and then

and then charge the customer for it, and the devs get to keep most of the profits. The only

thing that made this game great ( for the most part ) was the free support from the people

making mods, and working with other modders to make the game even better. Now the devs want

it to be an extra fee for people to pay so they can make even more money off its customers

for work they had nothing to do with other then release "free" software ( that by buying the

game we really paided for ) that helps make it possible.
  41. Apr 26, 2015
    Bethesda are in the wrong. Paid mods are a consumer and modders' nightmare. Do not support this company for this screwed up practice!

Modders are getting their content stolen, and both Bethesda and Valve are getting free money for doing nothing. A good game is no longer good when the companies' policies are this corrupt and awful. Go take your 75% revenue share and shove it up your *** Bethesda and Valve!
  42. Apr 26, 2015
  43. Apr 26, 2015
    i worked very hard writing this review, unless you are an entitled brat you will understand i deserve to be compensated for my time.

(one time payment of $9.99 will unlock this full review, further payment of $ 1.99 will unlock edits made to fix my spelling. Buy my review season pass for $299.99 to get full access to all reviews written by me during 1/1/15 to 1/1/16). Don't forget to

Don't forget to pre-order my upcoming, early access, Colored Words(tm) mod for the discounted rate of $4.99 . Will randomly add vibrant colors to some words in my reviews for ultimate re-readability.

*DISCLAIMER (reserve the right to never update or complete my work after i have pocketed your money, no refunds)
  44. Apr 26, 2015
  45. Apr 26, 2015
    Game gets very dull but has one of the greatest modding communities ever, well....had... paid mods is now a thing, and if you don't want to shill out 100$ extra this game is pretty meh. Until this crap goes away it isn't worth it.
  46. Apr 26, 2015
    pIad mods?? Valve and Bethesda should be ashamed of themself. pIad mods?? Valve and Bethesda should be ashamed of themself. pIad mods?? Valve and Bethesda should be ashamed of themself. pIad mods?? Valve and Bethesda should be ashamed of themself. pIad mods?? Valve and Bethesda should be ashamed of themself. pIad mods?? Valve and Bethesda should be ashamed of themself.
  47. Apr 26, 2015
    What gave the extrordinary life spawn of Skyrim and other open world Bethesda's games is mods. Free mods. If the modding community is as huge as it is right now it is because of its free of charge aspect. Well, I say free of charge, but you can still donate as you like for mods.

If only it was about it. No, Bethesda decided to get 45% of the price modders decided to ask for their work.

Greed, coming from modders and companies is once again being a part of the dumbling down of gaming. It's a shame, really...
  48. Apr 26, 2015
    Game not worth it without modding it.

From visuals to combat its just to bad to pay for.

Now that Valve and Bethesda wants a 75% cut from mod users its just in no way or shape worth the effort.

Greed from these studio's made sure its the end of modding.

Thanks Valve and Bethesda for tearing apart whole gaming community's for cash.
  49. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim was a perfect 10/10 game for me with mods. Now that many and more are being hidden behind a paywall I refuse to support this game or any future Valve or Bethesda products until an alternative solution (like a donation button) is reached.
  50. Apr 26, 2015
    No more paid mods. No more paid mods. No more paid mods. No more paid mods. No more paid mods. No more paid mods. No more paid mods. No more paid mods. No more paid mods. No more paid mods. No more paid mods. No more paid mods. No more paid mods. No more paid mods. No more paid mods.
  51. Apr 26, 2015
    A shame really. They had to fall back on this product and try to scam the community for fast cash after their The Elder Scrolls Online game was horribly mediocre and failed.
  52. Apr 23, 2015
  53. Apr 25, 2015
    game has gone far above advertised price with the monetization of everything with little or none going to the content creators and there is no quality control on portions of the game being charged for.
  54. Apr 25, 2015
    What is a great game is being ruined by a terrible industry of selling mods and marketing what was once a fantastic community. Disgusting and shameful.
  55. Apr 26, 2015
    Introducing payed mods makes the score of your game go down, down dooown. Valve and Bethesda should be ashamed of themself.

56. Apr 26, 2015
    This was an ok game but buggy as hell and on it's own not very memorable.
    The thing that made this game 9/10 was user created mods.
    Now that mods are monetized (thanks Bethesda) there is absolutely no reason for you to buy this game on PC.
    Get your DRM free hard copy for console and enjoy this mediocre crapfest. 3/10
  57. Apr 24, 2015
    This game expects me to pay for something with real money which has been free since the dawn of modding. Its like your Internet provider sending you a bill for every webpage you visit.

Bethesda and Steam now are on par with EA as outright anti-consumer companies and as such I urge you to boycott this and any other release from them. Theyre acting to make the world of gaming a worse place for gamers....
  58. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods.
    What has the world come to?
    It's ruined, the community is ruined, future games are ruined, it's done.
    Damn, Bethesda, you really let your fans down.
  59. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid modding. **** seriously?

I still don't understand what they thought would happen. **** Bethesda and Valve.

Please continue to review negatively until they get the point.
  60. Apr 27, 2015
    Skyrim is not worth it without mods.
    Allowing Bethesda to earn money from mods just encourages them to do more buggy releases.
    Yes they deserve money for making the base game, and that's the money we PAID when we purchase the game. Yet Bethesda has to go greedy and ruin the modding community. Imagine a future beth meeting: A: hey wanna fix the dragon? its flying backwards B: nah
    Skyrim is not worth it without mods.

Imagine a future beth meeting:
    A: hey wanna fix the dragon? its flying backwards
    B: nah mods will fix it. and we'll get paid too.
  61. Apr 23, 2015
    Great game with all the 100+ mods i have (literally i just counted its more than 100). Not worth without them.
    All mods were downloaded from the nexus. In an month all the mods will come over here to the freaking steam **** and charge for them, while either delleting them in the nexus or keeping really outdated versions of them in there.
    Dont believe me? This **** already started, just

Dont believe me? This **** already started, just check Wet and **** cold.

v2.0 here in steam workshop

v1.4 in the nexus.

GO to freaking hell valve bethesda and Gaben
  62. Apr 26, 2015
    Bethesda could never have enough money. Mods were exactly what attracted me and my friends to this game. Mods are what made it popular, therefore substantially increasing the sales. But that wasn't enough. Bethesda had to make more shekels. Paid mods are terrible and need to end.
  63. Apr 24, 2015
    skyrim was great till they added Paying for mods on the workshop ....
    Valve and the developers are greedy taking 75% of the money for doing nothing
    I hate valve for being greedy
  64. Apr 25, 2015
    The most overrated game ever made and without mods this game sucks 167 km of d*cks.
    Now you have to pay for mods.
    Don't buy this game. Do not support Bethesda ever again.
  65. Apr 26, 2015
    Pay for Mods needs an arrow to the knee! / Pay for Mods needs an arrow to the knee! / Pay for Mods needs an arrow to the knee! / Pay for Mods needs an arrow to the knee! / Pay for Mods needs an arrow to the knee!
  66. Apr 26, 2015
    I'd rather cuck my husband again than ever pay for a mod. Hell, I'd rather be cucked myself rather than pay for a mod. This is absolutely atrocious and needs to end.fff
  67. Apr 26, 2015
    I've not seen such a horrible move by Bethesda and Valve. I've played the game for over three hundred hours, and as Valve introduced the paid mod scheme, I will never support either company ever again.
  68. Apr 26, 2015
    Pay for mods, no thank you! Valve can kindly take their Jewish Goiym and shove it up their arses. Free modders unite for the glory of the PC community!
  69. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. PaidPaid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Expand
  70. Apr 26, 2015
    Let me get this straight Skyrim is a fun game but gets very boring after getting trough most content in the first 12 hours, which is why bethesda gave the modding community power and thus breathed new life in their game.

Now we got payed mods, early access payed mods.
    I refuse to stand for this utter ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ on both Valve's and Bethesda's end
  71. Apr 26, 2015
    Very good game. But... Paid mods? Seriously? The credibility of Bethesda was destroyed. Gaming community also destroyed. This is nonsense. It is not right!

8/10 for playing 2011-2015.
    1/10 for playing in the spring 2015.
  72. Apr 26, 2015
    Game itself is 9/10
    Tons of great mods will bump it to 10/10 or even 11/10
    However, since they turned one of the best mod community into money grabbing cash cows, it gets EA/10
  73. Apr 26, 2015
    Bethesda and Valve are charging your for using mods in the Steam Workshop. This will be the death strike to a free modding community Skyrim depends on. As that's not bad enough, Valve and Bethesda also claiming ownership for uploaded mods in the workshop and keep 75% of the profit for themselves (meaning only 25% is going to the modder). DO NOT SUPPORT THIS SH$T!
  74. Apr 26, 2015
    I used to love this game and gave it a 10/10.
    One of the reasons why I loved this game a lot was because of its amount of contents.
    The modding community used to be an awesome place and helped to keep the game fun for... well.. technically forever !

However, recently Bethesda and Valve thought it would be a good idea to put a paywall between you and the mods.

Here's my new rating.
  75. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid modding, and the fact that Bethesda supports it.
    Just no...
    I played this game for so many years, ever since release date and up to now I still play it. I am so disappointed in Bethesda to agree to this arrangement made by Valve. I never thought I would say this, but don't buy skyrim it is not worth it. The game itself is fairly mediocre, I can only recommend to play this game
    Paid modding, and the fact that Bethesda supports it.
    Just no...

I never thought I would say this, but don't buy skyrim it is not worth it.

The game itself is fairly mediocre, I can only recommend to play this game with mods. So after you paid some money to play a game, you gotta pay more money to play the game. That's sound like a win/win for you as a customer right?

Before this whole incident, I would say buy skyrim, because there is SO MUCH MORE to the game, than the game itself. You can spend YEARS trying out all the mods made for this game, but guess what. You can't do that anymore unless you pay some more money.

The Mods was the thing that kept skyrim alive, the thing that made skyrim so successful to this date almost 4 years after its initial release. The mods were the reason why skyrim did so well in the top selling games on steam, but how do you feel about paying money for things that "may" work?

A lot of mods conflicts with one another, so if you for instance buy a mod that changes weather effects, and another mod that changes water effects. Your game just straight up crash, no error message, just crash to desktop. Oh and by the way you paid money for that.
    It's even said by modders that the game itself is fairly unstable and quite hard to make stable mods for, you can easily run into scripting problems that just crashed your game, or suddenly npcs stops interacting with you because of some scripting errors. Yup you paid for that as well.

So I strongly recommend that you don't buy this game, and that should hopefully send a clear message.
    If you are thinking about buying the game now, I'm afraid you are too late to the party.
    The game has been out for several of years, and a lot of people had their fun with it. This game may now rapidly start dying out due to this pay wall, and the free enjoyment most people had is no longer free for you.
    Unlike you I am in a lucky position because I already own the game, and already have most mods from when they were free. You on the other hand, since you are reading this you probably don't own the game, and don't have the mods as a result.

TLDR: Paid mods, do not buy.
  76. Apr 26, 2015
    The reasons why mods need to stay free are quite simple.

1) Developers can get even lazier with bug fixes, they can just get the modders to fix the bugs and have them develop patches to sell. Meaning, all of a sudden this opens up the road for paid patches - think about this for a second - PAID PATCHES? 2) The average modder usually adds 20 - 100 or so mods to a game in the form of
    The reasons why mods need to stay free are quite simple.

2) The average modder usually adds 20 - 100 or so mods to a game in the form of skins, conversions and new items. If each mod now costs anything from $1 to $5 then the cost of the mods increases the price of the game by a large factor, this will increase piracy even more and we will start seeing mods on torrent sites.

3) Steam is lazy and apathetic, they will not police this at all. Allowing criminals to profit off this scheme by changing code, downloading old mods and rehashing them and then selling, or just simply download then upload for profit - this is already happening.

4) Current sites like nexus will start losing many mods because creators don't want their content stolen, in turn we'll see less and less content. Which is the exact opposite of what this idea is 'supposed' to be about. But we all know, this is just a cash grab by Valve and Bethesda.

5) This will severely damage the modding community, it already has in fact. Modding has, and always will be a hobby. Once you start turning modding into a career, you're no longer a modder but a DLC merchant with Valve and Bethesda profiting the most from your work. Capitalism in the gaming industry is bad, greed in the gaming industry is bad and it does not spur creativity, instead it breeds hate and malcontent, yesterday in many forums, we witnessed that.

The entire mod scene has always been vulnerable to monitization schemes, The fact that the older and senior modders fully well know the implications of paid modding and fully resisted and even openly fighting against it, where as some of the younger and more naive modders out there are trying to cash-in, and because of the lack of maturity, they are failing to see the bigger picture if this becomes the norm.
  77. Apr 26, 2015
    This once was a great game, but now it is just a lab for the most **** experiment ever, to now pay for mods. There is a reason why mod stand for both "moderator" and "modification", because both of them do their job for free.
  78. Apr 26, 2015
    The base game is fairly flat and modding is the heart of the game - which now is being compromised by Bethesda. Game companies always benefited from user generated content - by extending the longevity and replay value for the user and sales even years after launch for the devs.

Now Bethesda decided to double dip by commercializing mods and taking a major cut of mod sales which leaves only 25% to the content creator.

In my opinion this is a lose-lose situation for modders and players - and the only winners are valve and game companies.
  79. Apr 26, 2015
    bethesda & valve, through the paid mods idea have actually managed to practically overnight become more loathed then Electronic Arts.
    That alone speaks for itself.
    no paid mods...end of story.
  80. Apr 25, 2015
    Valve and Bethesda have joined forces to destroy what makes PC gaming the way it is. They have started monetizing MODS made by community members. They try to pass it as modders making money, but what these snakes don't tell you is that they keep 75% of the money, the creator of the content only gets 25%. On top of that, they need to make $100 a month to get paid, if they can't get that,Valve and Bethesda have joined forces to destroy what makes PC gaming the way it is. They have started monetizing MODS made by community members. They try to pass it as modders making money, but what these snakes don't tell you is that they keep 75% of the money, the creator of the content only gets 25%. On top of that, they need to make $100 a month to get paid, if they can't get that, Valve keeps it. This is not only another step in destroying PC gaming, much like DLC, it has ruined what was once a great, friendly modding community.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU HAVE ANY CONCIENCE, OR DESIRE TO SEE PC GAMING STAY THE WAY IT IS! A PURCHASE OF THIS GAME IS DIRECTLY FUNDING THE DEATH OF YOUR OWN HOBBY!

THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO PLAY, DO NOT GIVE YOUR MONEY TO VALVE OF BETHESDA,
  81. Apr 25, 2015
    At one time, I would have rated this game around 8, I have always enjoyed playing it. That being said, I have uninstalled the game will no longer play it, or purchase anything from Bethesda again. Why? Paid mods. I cannot support a game, game developer, publisher, or content delivery network that would employ such a horrible scam.
  82. Apr 26, 2015
    Was a great game with mods. Now, this game is worthless, unless you ready to deal with a ridiculous mod community of costs and mods and modders that don't really care, and just come and go.
  83. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid Mods? What a joke. If you thought DLC was **** then boy oh boy are you in for a surprise with PAID **** MODS. Boycott Valve, boycott Bethesda and start living the life a pirate.
  84. Apr 26, 2015
    The game itself is fun and enjoyable.
    However, I do not nor will I ever support paid mod micro-transactions that profit the company rather than the modder. If Valve/Bethesda ever changes this stance, then I will change my score.
  85. Apr 26, 2015
    Valve and Bethesda are charging people money for Skyrim mods now. Mods are no longer free because of this. Stop being greedy and charging people money for every single god damn thing. Mods used to FREE. Keep them that way: FREE!
  86. Apr 26, 2015
    Great job Valve and Bethesda! Because of your decision to enable paid mods, I will NEVER buy anything from either of you and I will never use Steam again, no matter what you do. And I am not the only one doing this.
  87. Apr 25, 2015
    absolutely wouldn't recommend because of latest happenings. steam has started screwing over modders, gamers and even itself. paid for mods? this is a joke
  88. Apr 24, 2015
    Skyrim was a great game but now Bethesda and steam want to profit on mods which is the only thing i bought this game for so no its a horrible game, might change my mind once they remove paid mods
  89. Apr 26, 2015
    Can't support paid mods. My opinion on both Valve and Bethesda has gone down, one of the reasons I bought Skyrim was because I knew I would be able to download loads of great mods for free. It seems that this is the first step in an attempt to restrict that. Monopolies are bad.
  90. Apr 25, 2015
    Skyrim was an amazing game, and now Bethesda have abused this by introducing payments for modding the game.

Don't let companies ruin the PC gaming market.
  91. Apr 25, 2015
    This may do nothing, but people need to make their wallets and their voices heard so the madness stops. Both Zenimax and Valve have insisted on driving a wedge in between the modding community. The exact same community that has made Skyrim great. This is the PC version I am talking about here. PC gaming and modding go hand in hand. Many of the people who once wrote glowing reviews wouldThis may do nothing, but people need to make their wallets and their voices heard so the madness stops. Both Zenimax and Valve have insisted on driving a wedge in between the modding community. The exact same community that has made Skyrim great. This is the PC version I am talking about here. PC gaming and modding go hand in hand. Many of the people who once wrote glowing reviews would reconsider their stance if they had known they would eventually be paying an extra dollar here or there for mods.

Mods were once made and freely distributed for all to download. Said mods were made knowing that they used custom assets that would never be sold. The same mods were also made under the explicit circumstance that they could never be sold. However, all this changed once Zenimax and Bethesda retroactively changed their EULA to screw over the consumer.

"But JDBoogie, modders who make great work should be compensated for their work!" - misguided, but well-meaning fan.

I want to get this out of the way: Yes, modders should see some compensation if that is what they want. However, a lot of obstacles exist obstructing that. The current system in place by Valve is a monopoly. Modders should have every right to petition for tips or donations, but it's a legal grey area. The law is not on their side, but that of Valve and Zenimax. The law is also different depending on where you live. In order to profit off your work, you must go through the official platform: Steam. This flies in the face of free market principles as Valve can easily have one hundred percent control over the modding community if they so choose.

It may not happen today, it may not happen next year. Heck, it may never happen. Yet Valve is in position to make it happen and they have the legal team to do it. Today, I even see fans proclaiming that they will gladly play for a mod such as SkyUI. Especially since the developers of Skyrim are getting the majority of the profit! For the uninitiated, SkyUI was originally created to fix Skyrim's god awful, tailor-made for the Xbox 360/PS3 crowd UI. It is now behind a pay wall. Of course, the older versions will be still available for download. They'll even be updated so you can continue playing your game without mod incompatibilities. That's what they claim. You just have to take their word for it. The problem I have with this is that words me very little, but actions speak volumes.

Now we have once reputable modders listing work that is not their own for sale. Work that was a collaboration of people working together. Now that this has happened, all these promises fly out the window. It's potentially nothing more than mere lip service. There is no legal obligation for them to support SkyUI on third party websites given that there is no economical incentive to do so. Even without mentioning the fact that many mods REQUIRE SkyUI to even function, how would you feel if you were required to pay for a proper UI? A UI the developers couldn't be bothered to make? What if you had to pay to download a patch? This is a very slippery slope, and all parties are involved are just testing the waters. This is Horse Armor 2.0. Don't play the sucker and fall for it.

So, case in point, avoid this game and all future Bethesda titles at all costs. The anti-consumerist agenda needs to stop. If modders want some compensation for their work, that is fine by me. Just let the free market decide on how they should be paid. Do not blindly support this monopoly that has done so much damage to such a great and vibrant community in just two nights. As a mod user, I should be able to voice such cries for actions and complaints. If anyone were to consider me entitled, then just consider the fact I would never buy a mod hosted on the workshop, nor would I ever buy nickel and dime DLC. If the common modder is uncomfortable with that thought, they can stop modding. Mods should ideally be available without being hidden behind a pay wall unless it is one hundred percent your own work. The community has come this far already without the need for corporate suits. Let it stay that way, but unfortunately the damage may have already been done. Hopefully what was lost can be rebuilt.

I'll edit this review accordingly once Valve and Zenimax rethink their policies. Until then, buyer beware. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
  92. Apr 25, 2015
    Unfortunately they have given modders the option to charge money for their mods. Won't be long until the entire workshop costs money. I understand it's a test but Valve seems very greedy with this and it looks like they just want to ride it out until people forget about it.
  93. Apr 25, 2015
    Game needs mods to be great, but now mods are just microtransactions, so the game is not worth your time. Get Morrowind or Oblivion instead - they're just as good when modded (arguably, Morrowind is even better), and all their mods are FREE.
  94. Apr 25, 2015
    Bethesda and Valve now seem fit to exploit modders. While its Bethesda's IP, what's Valve's excuse for taking as large of a cut as well? Poor taste and it will NOT lead to anything good whatsoever.

Since every Elder Scrolls games basically REQUIRES mods to achieve the high rating users give them, this greedy move ruins any future title. Skyrim without mods is about a 6.5 game. A

Skyrim without mods is about a 6.5 game. A shame greed is ruining a good thing. You could always support the modders if you so chose to, now you're just giving publishers more money they didn't even earn...
  95. Apr 26, 2015
    Due to recent events, Bethesda and VALVe decided to turn a community-friendly base into a Riot. What they have done is making "Paid Mods." That in itself says that they're greedy and looking for easy way to earn a living, not only that, they are also charging 75%, 25% goes to the mod creators and the rest between VALVe and Bethesda.

This is basically a third-party DLC, and will make

This is basically a third-party DLC, and will make people go for Hacked MODS, which in itself sounds insane.

Over a hundred thousand people stands against this and would dearly want it away.

The base game itself however, is not great. TESV: Skyrim cannot handle more than 60 frames per second and will actually mess up the Engine. Texture-wise it looks bland and quick made. If this wasn't for the friendly community that modded this game, it would have been dead after about 3 months after Launch.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, is a victim of greed, by Bethesda and VALVe, supporting MODS that are in Early Access. Yes, Early Access, which means, if you pay for the mod, it can be easily be abandoned by the developer, and you only have a 24 hour refund. I say only, because it takes time to find the problem it can cause, and when the timer is out, VALVe will straight out say: Bad luck for you.

So as you can see, the plans they have made is poorly short-sighted and greed for money.

Not only that but many people has seen this as a failure by the community and players alike.
  96. Apr 26, 2015
    Oy vey this is like anudda shoah. My grandpa was gassed 7 times and rendered into soap twice. Twice! And this is exactly how this feels. Remove the paid mod system or I will report this to JIDF.
  97. Apr 26, 2015
    Thank Valve for destroying PC gaming's very soul. R.I.P. you mediocre waste of hdd space. The mods that once brought on the top are being strip from your skin as we speak. And I can't bear to look at such suffering.

Especially when it is your very own family that do it.
  98. Apr 26, 2015
    The workshop mod to buy a higher score costs $3.99.

Valve and Bethesda should not be allowed to be profiting from destroying the community for not only their game but for others as well.
  99. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods aren't that bad? Over-exaggerating? Let me paint you a picture of the future if we let this go through.

TES6 and Fallout4 get released as an Early Access $60 title on Steam with exclusive Pre-Order Bonuses, Season Pass 1, Season Pass 2, an exclusive Paid Mods Subscription Package Season Pass, Bundled Paid Mods, Paid Mods that offer Microtransactions, and more DLC than Train Simulator.

"Oh but wait there are still free mods out."

You mean LITE editions of full featured paid mods where you get a pop-up every 5 minutes along with desktop notifications telling you to buy the full version and support the devs?

Meanwhile, the games sell in the billions and Bethesda and Valve are reaping all the money generated by their 75% cut of community-made content. They literally did not have to do anything to make this much money. They just give us glorious permission to be able to sell it on their exclusive DRM-enforced Steam Mod Store because the year is 2016 and the only way to install mods into a Steam DRM game is through their official Workshop.
  100. Apr 26, 2015
    After what Bethesda did to the modding community (allowed paid modding) on a game that was already stripped down and unfinished, I have to give a poor review in hopes that they remove this.
  101. Nov 27, 2011
    Hey everyone. Time for my review of the most anticipated game of this year. I picked the game up as soon as it came out. and i have been playing it since. 70 hours into the game, here are my experienced thoughts, I have to say i am not all that impressed. We are redlining here. The first thing i noticed is that this game is "exactly" like the last oblivon. Just amped up a bit. Let me takeHey everyone. Time for my review of the most anticipated game of this year. I picked the game up as soon as it came out. and i have been playing it since. 70 hours into the game, here are my experienced thoughts, I have to say i am not all that impressed. We are redlining here. The first thing i noticed is that this game is "exactly" like the last oblivon. Just amped up a bit. Let me take this moment to say that the first morrowind was and still is the best one. why dont you bethseda scammers remake that one for us with skyrims graphics? The ability to leviatate was the best part of morrowind. . Being able tocraft your spells as weak or powerful as you chose, to make your belt of leviatate and fly through the air raining destruction spells down on the world. There was also very unique and powerful items available. to the user. Such as the incredible boots of blinding speed. How come there is no items as cool as those boots in the two recent editions of morrowind.(and i played the sh**t out of oblivion and morrowind) I was disappointed to find that skyrim is the same as oblivion. The dungeons are nice, the puzzles and amount of underground crevices to explore is greater than oblivion was but still the game seems to lack that thuum of power. The shouts are well pretty useless really. i have only found one of those special skill statues(the lady) I miss how morrwind allowed you to pick your birth star and get a special ability in it. i dont like how skyrim wont let you craft very powerful items. in morrowind i could make a fireball spell that required 1000 mana and did equivelent damage. in skyrim i cant make any spells at all. just theones they give me. Even the enchanting of items is very limited in skyrim. Its way to quick and easy to become the head of a guild. and it offers no bonus or perks to the user. The only really useful thing guilds do is provide neat missions. other than the thieves guild wich allows you to pay off the guards instead of going to jailand or paying a fine. i quickly realized there is little to no point in crafting my own gear since the stuff i find will always be better. The only two self enchanted items i use are twin ebony swords i enchanted with fire and frost. nothing epic, i set them to 10 damage each(max is about 31 so far.i dont expect it to go up much.) and if i set them to max damage they would only be useable once. as is i set them to be usuable 350 ish times each.(saves on recharging them after every swing or battle) There is a lot ofd walking around and more fast traveling. The horse is useless, basically it lets you run without using your stamina and you cant fight from horseback. There is a lot of glitches i have found. example theres this one dungeon with a pit 20 ft deep filled with water. at the bottom in one corner is a... air bubble. There are lots of quest glitches, some i have completed 3 or 4 times. they keep coming back up though.There are problems with displaying items in my house. And the options to furnish your houses are lame. You should be able to choose how many chests book shelves and/or sword racks you put in and where they go. Also i put say a sword on a shelf and leave and come back and its been thrown off the shelf onto the floor. i have had things fall through the table and floor on me as well.
    The oriniginal morrowind with these graphics would be awesome. And all those things you have to give to delvin..wtf i want stuff like that in my house. so far the coolest ornaments i have found are those dynamo cores(nice animations on em) and a bee in a jar.(very cool) Overall the game is ok. but in all honesty wtf did you guys waste your time on oblivion for? didnt you fu**ers make enough on the first one? what happened to the making of this game ? do you guys think we are all stupid or something?
    i hope you get your acts together and bring back the things that made this game so epic in the first place. even in oblvion i could at least become a god of sorts. not the same as morrwind mind but still. Nothing quite makes yoiu feel as powerful as flying over a city and wiping it out with a giant fireball. !!!

1. Feb 29, 2012
  2. Feb 14, 2012
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012