8.2

1. Nov 15, 2011
    Fantastic game. It deserves GOTY in my opinion. It does has some bugs and limited dialogue but everything else seems great to me. It is heaps better Morrowind and Oblivion which I didn't like at all. Give it a chance and it can be an addictive and highly enjoyable game.
  2. Nov 22, 2011
    Looked at dispassionately, Skyrim offers a by-the-numbers fantasy experience: you're a questin' hero looking to pick fights with dragons, slaying bandits and randomly spawning beasts, casting spells, and wielding a range of medieval weapons, all while listening to reams of mildly interesting dialog. At first glance, it doesn't offer the highly imaginitive and truly otherworldly feelingLooked at dispassionately, Skyrim offers a by-the-numbers fantasy experience: you're a questin' hero looking to pick fights with dragons, slaying bandits and randomly spawning beasts, casting spells, and wielding a range of medieval weapons, all while listening to reams of mildly interesting dialog. At first glance, it doesn't offer the highly imaginitive and truly otherworldly feeling landscapes of Morrowind. Its console roots are evident. And, it being a Bethesda game, you were expecting some bugs. Right ?

Even after the broad praise on release, I wasn't convinced Skyrim could topple Morrowind as my #1 RPG on the PC, and initially held off on buying it.

Now, 30 hours play crammed into three days later, its obvious to me that Skyrim has raised the bar for PC RPG's well above the competition: this is a remarkable game. Not so much for its choices, but for how beautifully it implements those choices. The landscapes are truly remarkable, perhaps for the first time offering a world which feels real instead of like a semi-random patchwork of locations. This really is a small country in a box, and it is a remarkable achievement in itself. Idylic villages, huge and imposing castles, haunted burial mounds, standing stones and impromptu altars to various gods, dungeons big and small, dreary plains, towering mountains and narrow mountain passes: all of it great to look at, travel through and explore. The main quest so far has been solid and quite engaging, offering just the right mix of challenge and hero (you) worship. You feel important, but not overpowered.

Character progression is great, focussing on (the use of) skills, not on simply leveling (even though you do level), and the number of available options is staggering, offering a talent tree on all the many skills and schools of magic which really gives you the option to craft a character to your tastes.

Sound is top-notch, including the dynamic soundtrack.

Sure, I have some criticisms: the GUI could stand a couple of major and minor improvements, although I don't find it quite as bad as others have made it out to be. The voice acting is mostly competent, even pretty good in places, but it's also tacky in others - and some NPC's I wouldn't mind murdering just to get rid of their repetitive and trite oneliners. There are some graphical glitches. I've had a couple of crashes to the desktop - nothing so bad as Fallout 3 / New Vegas, though - in fact, I find this to be the most stable Bethesda game to date. Also, character animation is far from perfect.

So is Morrowing finally surpassed ? In a word: yes. Even though the world might appear less imaginative than Morrowind's, this one simply feels more real and offers a ton of rewards to the intrepid explorer. It's hard to get anything done, because it's so very easy to get distracted by any number of things found en route to a quest objective. Many of the quests have an adult theme, require an uncomfortable compromise, or simply offer irresistibly 'evil' choices with enjoyably disturbing consequences.

Skyrim is Bethesda's best yet and easily takes a spot amongst the best RPG's ever.
  3. Mar 6, 2012
    A complete snore fest after the first hour with dejavu around every corner for players of oblivion and morrowind at the uninspired quests the cookie cutter characters and the ugly textures and animations poor effort bethesda you showed you can do great things with your gamejam video why cant you make a game with all that variety instead next time?
  4. Jul 30, 2012
    I simply cannot understand all the Hype with this game and Oblivion and similar games like Mass effect 1+2.. The story is so boring and there are so many side stuff that u simply get lost past the 4-5 hours of playing it.

It's games like this that i really wanna play when i see the trailers, and then get terribly disappointed, Thank god for piratebay! Heavily Overrated boring Game
  5. Jun 4, 2013
    The important thing to remember before you purchase this game, is that it is the exact same game experience as Morrowind and Oblivion. If you eventually got tired of how repetitive those games were, you will probably not get much value out of this game. The one thing this game does offer is tons of repetitious quests, creatures, dungeons, and scenery. You can really feel the age of theThe important thing to remember before you purchase this game, is that it is the exact same game experience as Morrowind and Oblivion. If you eventually got tired of how repetitive those games were, you will probably not get much value out of this game. The one thing this game does offer is tons of repetitious quests, creatures, dungeons, and scenery. You can really feel the age of the basic gameplay system and interactions when you compare it to modern games like Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls, and Dragon's Dogma.

I do not recommend a purchase unless its at bargain prices or you are completely new to Elder Scrolls.
  6. May 8, 2012
    Skyrim, for me at least, is not worthy of the praise it gets showered. Yes, you get a huge overworld with a character that you customize your way, and do whatever you want, whenever you want. yes, there is a ton of sidequests. However, there are a few glaring problems that i have with this game that i just could not ignore, and that prevented me from getting any real enjoyment out of it.Skyrim, for me at least, is not worthy of the praise it gets showered. Yes, you get a huge overworld with a character that you customize your way, and do whatever you want, whenever you want. yes, there is a ton of sidequests. However, there are a few glaring problems that i have with this game that i just could not ignore, and that prevented me from getting any real enjoyment out of it. First and foremost, the game's central story and characters are severely lacking. this means that no matter how hard i tried, i just could not care about any of the characters, because they're not developed in the story, and most characters only serve to be either a quest giver or a punching bag. This made the whole game just kind of bland and uninteresting for me. Next, the combat is not all that great. lets be honest here. the combat system alone is not gonna win any awards here. Lastly, yes the world is huge and there is a lot to do, but it gets very repetitive, very quickly. quests essentially consist of going into a dungeon, finding a certain thing, killing a certain monster, or other such things. In other words, the game creates the illusion of being expansive, when in actuality is very shallow.So, what does this all amount to? it amounts to the game being boring. very, very boring. and i dont play games to be bored. Probably the best analogy I've ever heard for skyrim, and indeed, most of the elder scrolls series, is that when you first start playing, its like coming out into a huge, shimmering, beautiful lake. Enticed, you wade out into the lake. You think, gee, this is great! i cant wait until i get to the deeper part of the lake! This is going to be great! however, to your surprise, the depth goes up very little, if at all. confused, you wade on, hoping for it to get deeper, so you can immerse yourself in it. however, it never comes. Disappointed, you leave. You may go back a few times because of how pretty it is, but always end up disappointed you can not immerse yourself in the waters of the game. Expand
  7. Nov 12, 2011
    Game plays well. Combat feels solid. A few minor animation glitches here and there but does nothing to harm the experience followers of the series have come to expect. The visuals are stunning and if you are playing on PC and have a high powered machine they are even better. The audio is well done and the voice acting is better than it was in Oblivion. The main storyline is engaging andGame plays well. Combat feels solid. A few minor animation glitches here and there but does nothing to harm the experience followers of the series have come to expect. The visuals are stunning and if you are playing on PC and have a high powered machine they are even better. The audio is well done and the voice acting is better than it was in Oblivion. The main storyline is engaging and there are a lot of side quests to do. Just like the previous entries in the series, Skyrim is more than a game, it is an immersive experience. It is impressive and the best game of its ilk since Oblivion. Expand
  8. Jul 9, 2012
    This game was great for a bit then it just becomes boring and tedious. I tried to push myself to keep playing it, but I can't. I thought it was going to be a good game and kill 40+ hours, but I was wrong. It is buggy as all hell and it seems like it is just put together and released way to fast. Compare it to Oblivion and you will be disappointed. This game is not worth your time or moneyThis game was great for a bit then it just becomes boring and tedious. I tried to push myself to keep playing it, but I can't. I thought it was going to be a good game and kill 40+ hours, but I was wrong. It is buggy as all hell and it seems like it is just put together and released way to fast. Compare it to Oblivion and you will be disappointed. This game is not worth your time or money in my opinion. Expand
  9. Nov 11, 2011
    Stewker
    Nov 11, 2011
    10 Skyrim is the kind of game that really stands out. The attention to detail is mind blowing. People will be playing this for game for months. On the PC load times are nearly nonexistent, I have yet to have had the chance to really read or admire the load screens, which is both a good and bad thing as they are interactive and have lore bits. The graphics on ultra
    Stewker
    Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim is the kind of game that really stands out. The attention to detail is mind blowing. People will be playing this for game for months. On the PC load times are nearly nonexistent, I have yet to have had the chance to really read or admire the load screens, which is both a good and bad thing as they are interactive and have lore bits. The graphics on ultra running at 1920x1080 are flooring. This is truly a HUGE jump over Oblivion in regard to visual fidelity. Now granted I do have a NASA supercomputer for PC, well just about, but still... If you think the game looks no better than Oblivion, seriously, no joke I'm concerned for you, as you are blind but don't know it yet. Don't drive. Anyways, melee combat is also vastly improved and solid feeling, magic has a definite weight to it in Skyrim. Finally the amount of content... Like I said weeks of game play and huge re-playability. Quests, yes lot's of quests but all of the things on the side that you have in this game as well is truly mind blowing. I took a week off for this game and I know, after playing it for 12 hours now, that I won't be able to do everything I want to even if I played 18 hours a day, no way. The level up process is awesome as well. Love the perk system, when people think perks most think of Fallout 3, but the perk system in Skyrim is very much unique to itself. I was afraid they were dumbing down the level system but all they did is streamline it and give the user freedom to play exactly how they want to play, while keeping the core mechanic of leveling by what you do and adding in perks. I love that. If I had to choose one game to have the rest of my life and only one, it would be The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
  10. Feb 17, 2012
    Oblivion with a content update. Graphics - same. Gamplay - same. Characterisation - same. Writing - same. Three or four limited cookie-cutter dungeons redrawn a hundred times - same. I guess I should stop expecting TES series to come up with something new and not mind-numbingly repetitive, but there we go. I wanted to like this game, I really did, and I played it for a lot of hours,Oblivion with a content update. Graphics - same. Gamplay - same. Characterisation - same. Writing - same. Three or four limited cookie-cutter dungeons redrawn a hundred times - same. I guess I should stop expecting TES series to come up with something new and not mind-numbingly repetitive, but there we go. I wanted to like this game, I really did, and I played it for a lot of hours, but by the end I was sick of being sent on yet another draugr slashfest to kill the same three types of creatues I'd killed several thousand times before, in another dungeon whose look and feel was exactly the same as the previous three hundred. Unbelievably boring, and that's coming from a fantasy RPG fan. They really do need to start going for quality and not quantity. Expand
  11. Jun 7, 2012
    Sorry I didn't rate the game previously as I was so pissed with it. New to Metacritic and didn't notice the rating bar in so big a hurry to vent my spleen. Here's my score.
  12. Dec 5, 2011
    66 hours played and there's still a mind boggling amount to do, this game has content, graphics and sound all AAA standard. If you like rpg's this is your game. Bethesda has created a huge open world chock full of quests and dungeons to explore populated with npc's that go about there daily lives reacting to the players achievements in game. I really can't recommend skyrim enough, run66 hours played and there's still a mind boggling amount to do, this game has content, graphics and sound all AAA standard. If you like rpg's this is your game. Bethesda has created a huge open world chock full of quests and dungeons to explore populated with npc's that go about there daily lives reacting to the players achievements in game. I really can't recommend skyrim enough, run don't walk to your nearest game shop or steam and buy this game. Expand
  13. Jul 31, 2012
    Just another poorly ported console turd served as delicious meal to depressingly dumbed down "current gen. gamers" by accountants and corporate puppets. I have some suggestions for next TES game;

- Self-regenerating health - Only two skills (who needs complications...); one for melee/ranged combat and second, I don't know... magical farts? - Make ALL quest random generated (no

- Self-regenerating health

- Make ALL quest random generated (no one cares about story-telling qualities anyway) - Make ALL npc voiced by the same actor (They'll save up some money so Todd can get that well deserved raise)

- Start the "story" from new, magically created isle, lets call it "Great Imbecylia Island". Beings from this newly emerged land will invade whole Continent of Tamriel and unite it under name empire of "United Imbecyls". "Imbecylians" will slaughter almost all native life forms in Tamriel and then desire to detach themselves from their island relatives. They will set laws that will guarantee them freedom and indpendence from Imbecylia Island, yet (of course) they will keep slaves. Then they'll attack morrowind, 'couse its land of dark-skinned, other-religion obsessed people and has a lot of resources...

Action will be placed ONLY in ashlands (of course) of Vvardenfell. Your mission will be stealing gold-er... I mean ebony and oil-er... I mean that "bloat" that those strange plants in Morrowind produce. Of course You'll be forced to kill some of them brown-er... I mean dark people in the process. But it's the right thing to do. And it is a great game. It must be. So many can't be wrong.
  14. Nov 11, 2011
    I can't defend this game from not getting some decent updates in a couple areas , mainly UI but most of the negative complaints are simply untrue. The graphics are in fact great and the game runs really smooth on Ultra, but I'm sure if you have an older system you won't see it that way. If you played the game for an hour, you didn't see enough of it to get past the part where it's NOT justI can't defend this game from not getting some decent updates in a couple areas , mainly UI but most of the negative complaints are simply untrue. The graphics are in fact great and the game runs really smooth on Ultra, but I'm sure if you have an older system you won't see it that way. If you played the game for an hour, you didn't see enough of it to get past the part where it's NOT just Oblivion reskinned. You can in fact hotkey things directly from favorites and even choose which hand they are assigned to. I NEVER have to go into the menus unless I level up or switch gear out for something better/preferred. Game is completely stable and outside of a few wonky textures and the same logic problems I find in every single game, I'm enjoying myself. More of the same? Please let me know when you are playing a truly original game in this generation of games. Oh.. and another thing. All the people crying about this game being too console like will change their song in a few months when mods start coming out. Give it a year or more and the praise will be universal that PC is the way to go. Expand
  15. Nov 12, 2011
    I've been playing this for about 14 hours, and I'm very, very addicted and immersed into the game world. Looking at the low scores, I can't be entirely sure what people were expecting. I suppose Bethesda showed screenshots that made the game look its best (this happens with every game I would add), as the graphics tend to favour rendering rocks and clouds into the distance over water andI've been playing this for about 14 hours, and I'm very, very addicted and immersed into the game world. Looking at the low scores, I can't be entirely sure what people were expecting. I suppose Bethesda showed screenshots that made the game look its best (this happens with every game I would add), as the graphics tend to favour rendering rocks and clouds into the distance over water and shadows, and as such looking at a vista gives you a jarring sense of beauty and dire ugliness at the same time. Not only that, character animations still are stiff albeit an improvement. In fact, let's get all the negative stuff out the way now; the controls for PC are awful, amazingly awful considering Bethesda's PC menu's have always been fine before now. It feels very much like they didn't think about making the interface work on PC (perhaps they ran out of time committing to 11/11/11), so expect your first few hours to be an exercise in getting used to then perfecting the controls as best you can.

So what's good? Well, despite shading issues and water in the distance, the weather effects and mountains will frequently make you want to just stop and stare at a view, Bethesda have truly outdone themselves on that front, and it makes the graphical flaws more acceptable when you're playing. You will NEVER have a lack of quests after the first handful of hours, and as such you will have tons of reasons to go and explore all of Skyrim. And given the properly designed dungeons, they're well worth it. That is the major reason I feel this is such an improvement over Oblivion, where dungeons used to be boring and nigh on pointless, they're more focused experiences that genuinely will give you something worthwhile for plumbing its caverns/halls/chambers (and handily when you've got out of a major dungeon and looted it all, it will be marked as cleared on the map).

But the big thing is that despite people's complaints about combat, Skyrim is a massive improvement on Oblivion. It could be even better for sure, but the slickness of dual-wielding spells and quickswitching to a bow and arrow, before delivering a cinematic finishing blow with your sword and shield will certainly leave you more impressed than you were with Oblivion. The levelling system is also infinitely easier to keep track of and improve your skills with.

I think I've covered most of what I've thought so far while playing. This is an altogether more beautiful and slicker (apart from the controls) Oblivion, absolutely worth your time as long as you're ready to wrestle with the controls. If you're patient, it may well be worth your while to wait until various issues are fixed or some good mods have come out to try and improve them though (8.5).
  16. Nov 12, 2011
    Skyrim...An amazing open world non-linear dragon slaying NPC mudering bundle of enjoyment. This, is quite possibly the best elder scrolls game so far. Ruined only by the occasional bug or two which will most likely be patched and fixed. Great story, the dragon fights are amazing, and randomly scripted events. I had to muster allot of effort to rip myself away from it long enough to getSkyrim...An amazing open world non-linear dragon slaying NPC mudering bundle of enjoyment. This, is quite possibly the best elder scrolls game so far. Ruined only by the occasional bug or two which will most likely be patched and fixed. Great story, the dragon fights are amazing, and randomly scripted events. I had to muster allot of effort to rip myself away from it long enough to get some food. Buy it, Dovahkiin commands you! Expand
  17. Nov 12, 2011
    This game is fantastic but it is not without it's flaws. But I feel they do not affect the game too much, as a great deal of them are very minor and will probably be patched or mods from the fantastic community will come along in week one.

This game improves alot of mechanics of Oblivion, combat generally feels the same, although slightly more fluid for some reason, probably due to the fact that you now have killing blows, dual wielding and the ability to use your shield as a weapon.

The favourites thing is a fantastic idea, but it feels awkward and poorly executed, but it generally works out once you get used to it.

The voice acting is on a whole pretty damn good, but it is weak in some spots, but a far cry better than Oblivion, I got sick of hearing the same dozen voices all the time, now you have more than 4 dozen voices which is great. Soundtrack is fantastic, it just oozes epicness and has great rolling instrumentals and fantastic ambient music. Sound effects are also good, but nothing special.

Textures are okay, hair isn't greatly detailed, amour details and reflections look great for the most part. But plants look like crap so I cannot wait for mods to clean them right up and make the environment ever more prettier than it already is. Animations are improved greatly over previous games, even NPC's have good idles, and they even perform duties which on a whole just bring the whole "live the world within the game" feel together.

This game is also very stable, it's the first PC game I've bought in months that hasn't crashed every five minuets and just caused me hell, this game has only crashed on me once, but that was my Anti-Virus software that interfered with the game. But other than that no problems whatsoever, no slowdown or choppiness at all.

My biggest gripe about this game is the menus, obviously designed for sticks, it is stupidly awkward and annoying. Trying to navigate the skill trees is tedious and just plain annoying. Also trying to pick dialogue options is annoying, Often I end up picking the wrong one and getting myself into trouble because of it, I often find myself using the arrow and enter keys. Also the default mapping of the menus is a little odd, and it takes a little time to get use to, but nothing too bad.

Overall it a fantastic game with very small issues, but as I said these will be patched or the amazing modding scene will come to the rescue within weeks end and fix them right up. Probably one of the best RPG's I have played in a few good years. Recommended.
  18. Nov 13, 2011
    Before I start I should note that I bought this game on the strength of Fallout 3 (which I loved) rather than Oblivion (which I didn't care for).

That said, this game shares so much in common with both the aforementioned, taking everything Bethesda has learned and creating a near-perfect RPG experience. The game engine is fantastic, with even my 3-year-old Core 2 Quad/Nvidia 9800GTX+

The game engine is fantastic, with even my 3-year-old Core 2 Quad/Nvidia 9800GTX+ computer pushing out Ultra graphics settings without too much difficulty. It's not as good as Rage, but it's certainly a contender for best graphics.

There are complaints about the controls, but as I'm using an Xbox 360 pad I'm not really having any difficulty. Naturally, aiming your bow would be easier with a mouse, but this is a concession I'm willing to make for a generally more comfortable control method. The controls are mapped well to the Xbox pad, with the sticks doing their usual movement/camera thing, the triggers controlling the weapon/magic/shield in the respective hand, and the other face buttons mapped to various options.

Combat is very visceral. You can now shield bash by holding up your shield and tapping the attack button, which knocks enemies back, affording you a little breathing space.

The map is HUGE, with plenty of incidental details. I initially thought the world was quite sparsely populated, but having spent some hours wandering about, I've stumbled upon so many different villages and camps, some friendly others not so much.

Quests are so far of the "go to this dungeon, kill everything and collect this item and bring it back to me" sort, which is fine by me. The dungeons are all interesting, and boss fights are variations on the standard enemies.

This game is big enough, that at level 9 I've experienced things that friends who have more time to play (level 24+) have yet to see. And we've all had a lot of fun in Skyrim - strong contender for game of the year.
  19. Nov 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Expand
  20. Nov 13, 2011
    Although a little too familiar and a little unpolished, another great game from Bethesda.

Second best RPG in the last month, but that's another conversation.

Gonna be a good winter for gaming.
  21. Nov 13, 2011
    Cons: Initially the game had driver issues, but then Nvidia released new drivers and problems were solved.
    Cons: The only other problem which I see will be solved by mods at a later date is the fact that you cannot hot button anything.. While this may seem to make the game play slow, and at times it does, the fact that you can pause the game to switch to other spells does make it easier.

PROS: The most amazing graphics ever seen on a console or PC system. If you have a GTX 580 or higher you will be enjoying impressive micro details as well as impressive macro details of the game. Example Micro detail would be the veins on a leaf. Impressive Macro details would be snow generated according to the wind and piled up realistically. It actually makes you FEEL cold.. I turned on the heater..=D
    PROS: The physics in this game is so dead-on accurate that its scary... you drop a body into the water and watch it swirl down a river and eventually sink under the waves... You jump in the water yourself and you are pulled down stream by the rapids, I actually spent time just floating with the river and catching fish with my bare Argonian hands... :) Thank Talos for water breathing.
    PROS: So much good stuff I cannot write about it all
  22. Nov 14, 2011
    I'm 25 hours into Skyrim so far and I still enjoy it, now this game has a bit of everything in it and almost everything in Skyrim is nothing less than amazing. Now don't think that it's perfect because it's not there are some bugs but nobody / nothing is perfect! I do feel that the quests are a little short and you could feel a bit more important in this world a lot of things you do inI'm 25 hours into Skyrim so far and I still enjoy it, now this game has a bit of everything in it and almost everything in Skyrim is nothing less than amazing. Now don't think that it's perfect because it's not there are some bugs but nobody / nothing is perfect! I do feel that the quests are a little short and you could feel a bit more important in this world a lot of things you do in the end don't give a lot of "Yeahhh I'm a badass!!" kind of feeling. All in all I give it a 9/10 good job Bethesda! (Also I see a few people saying you can not key bind on the pc version! WRONG you can! 1-8 which can also be remapped with your mouse, simply put a spell or a item that you want key bound on your favorites list then open up the list (Q button) and highlight it with your cursor and press 1-8 tada keybinds! yes I know it's not the best ever but it works. =) ) Expand
  23. Nov 14, 2011
    pure, beautiful, immersion with a solid, SMOOTH release from Bethesda. and the freaking sidequests... they feel significant enough to feel less like side-quests and more like it's just part of the main story. I've put in over 30 hours already, and i cant wait to put in more!
  24. Nov 14, 2011
    Ok....I've never written a review for a game but I was trolling around over Skyrim and felt compelled to throw in my 2 lousy cents after playing it about 20 hours. First off, a review of 0 is simply inaccurate. When I was in high school I turned in a paper on a book I read and the teacher didn't appreciate my position (I said Lenny from "Of Mice and Men" was an alien and tried to validateOk....I've never written a review for a game but I was trolling around over Skyrim and felt compelled to throw in my 2 lousy cents after playing it about 20 hours. First off, a review of 0 is simply inaccurate. When I was in high school I turned in a paper on a book I read and the teacher didn't appreciate my position (I said Lenny from "Of Mice and Men" was an alien and tried to validate it) I got a 0. I wrote a 3 page paper. I should of at least gotten a 1. A 0 implies NOTHING. It's like rating a game that never existed, like you opened the box and it was empty. I mean even a disc and a manual should warrant a 1. 0 means nothing mathematically so any game with any content deserves at least a 1. On to the game. The game is actually pretty damn fun, it has bugs but it's fricking huge so I imagine that things like that happen. It does have a few frustrating bugs at that. Every issue I've found so far though was easily mitigated with a few tweaks so I don't really care too much, but it's where I took a point away. Bethseda should do better on QC.

I like the game, I like how there is sort of a quasi-historical feel to the Elder Scrolls games and I like how much of the world can be taken and made into something to use. The graphics weren't cutting edge but I don't think it's fair to say it looked anything like Oblivion, heavily modded or not. I'm glad I spent my money on Skyrim, it is fun and has a great playability for your buck.
  25. Nov 15, 2011
    Excellent game only problem I have is the interface I absolutely do not like have to open up interface just to cast my restoration spell or some other spell then to have to bring out my swords again.
  26. Nov 16, 2011
    Waited so long for this game, im happy to finaly have it. It looks too much like they made it out of fallout 3 but stil im glad to have it. Havent play much but im hoping for many hours of joy :)
  27. Nov 16, 2011
    Oh. My. god.

Where do I start? Never played any other Bethesda game apart from Oblivion, which I loved. I really only play WoW these days, occasionally. I took 8 days off work to play this, and I'm so glad I did. I'm on PC, so there are issues - I don't like the consolisation, and with it's frustrating keybinding bugs, that took ages to get my head around, but it's fine now. Apart
    Oh. My. god.

I took 8 days off work to play this, and I'm so glad I did.

I'm on PC, so there are issues - I don't like the consolisation, and with it's frustrating keybinding bugs, that took ages to get my head around, but it's fine now. Apart from that, it's never bugged out on me. Also, trying to manage three different characters is practically impossible - I deal with it by having three backup save folders, and I believe there is already a mod to help this.

Those are the only downsides, everything, EVERYTHING else, is STUNNING.

The music is incredible, the sound effects are dramatic, peaceful, war-like, creepy, depending on the context, and absolutely PERFECT.

Graphics, are ASTONISHING.

As for playability, I woke at 9am to play it yesterday, didn't get breakfast until 5:35PM, I was so engrossed.

Loving the stories, the quests, the perks, the skills, the dungeons, the baddies, the NPC's, there's literally nothing that doesn't make me smile hugely. And if you check YOUTUBE anytime, you can see any number of fantastic videos, all AI, videos that would be scripted cut-scenes on other games.

As for the dragons, I damn near crapped myself. :)

Skyrim is a MASTERPIECE.
  28. Nov 29, 2014
    There needs to be a way to purge the bottom ratings from this game. Anyone that gives Skyrim less than a 5 should have their computer use and gaming privileges removed forever. This is by far one of the best RPGs ever made. It has absolutely set the bar so high that current games half a decade later still fail to life up to it.

Newsflash! RPG games ALWAYS have an exploitive easy-mode

Newsflash!

RPG games ALWAYS have an exploitive easy-mode way of playing the game. For Oblivion it was probably battle-mage. For Skyrim, it's probably stealth archer. The ability to mod and keep the game alive well after it's introduction is amazing. The Skyrim modding community is one of the biggest modding communities on the net next to Minecraft.

This game is awesome! If you've waited this long to play, you've waited too long, but start now!
  29. Nov 17, 2011
    I'm not gunna lie, this game is amazing, brilliant, outstanding, a masterpiece. I'm only filling the rest up because i need one hundred and fifty characters.
  30. Nov 24, 2011
    this game is great. i mean, don't get me wrong, it's far from perfection but it's great: the story is interesting, the graphics are good (most of the time) and it doesn't have many bugs (for bethesda's standards). exploring skyrim is simply fantastic, going through woods, finding caves, towns, side quests. simply amazing how HUGE this game is, it takes hours to explore the whole gamethis game is great. i mean, don't get me wrong, it's far from perfection but it's great: the story is interesting, the graphics are good (most of the time) and it doesn't have many bugs (for bethesda's standards). exploring skyrim is simply fantastic, going through woods, finding caves, towns, side quests. simply amazing how HUGE this game is, it takes hours to explore the whole game world. the soundtrack is also kick ass. fighting dragons is fun, and most fights provide a good challenge even on normal difficulty. i also love how they didn't use the usual point-and-click controls typical to rpgs like wow, dragon age, etc., IMHO, those are the worst controls ever. speaking of control, skyrim has a huge defect: it has no quick keys. seriously? even console ports like mass effect have them! it's a waste of time that i have to go through my whole inventory or favourite list just to use a potion or change weapon/spell! another drawback typical to most rpgs is that you can accept quests and start playing them with no clue that your character is not enough skilled to complete the quest: that's a real pain in the ass, you can literally go fight dragons with a level 1 character, and get killed in 2 microseconds. most of the times, of course you have no idea what you're gonna fight, it's like "can you get my sword back?", and then the cave has bears, trolls and giants in it.
    in conclusion, i'd give this game a 8.5, rounded up to a more realistic 9 because the good aspects of this game really compensate the bad ones
  31. Mar 19, 2012
    The good parts: The sandbox world works remarkably well, and the "leveling problem" of the previous elder scrolls is no more. Now you can happily play without worrying that picking too many locks will leave you with a weak character getting slaughtered by the upleveled monsters. The quests have had a number of cases where it's not clear-cut who to side with, a rarity in RPGs. And theThe good parts: The sandbox world works remarkably well, and the "leveling problem" of the previous elder scrolls is no more. Now you can happily play without worrying that picking too many locks will leave you with a weak character getting slaughtered by the upleveled monsters. The quests have had a number of cases where it's not clear-cut who to side with, a rarity in RPGs. And the level design in the dungeons is excellent, with some interesting variations, few glitches, and always a short way out from the end of the dungeon back to the main world.

The bad part: The UI is an absolute embarrassment. On your 1920 screen, your inventory is a single column of giant text and a big useless image of the object you're hovering over, so you spend half your game time scrolling through lists to find your Potions of Minor Healing that are screens away from your Potions of Major Healing. And the keybinds are awful and unchangeable. "e" in inventory uses, and "r" puts an item in a container, but in a container it's "e" to take a single item out and "r" to take everything. So you slip and hit "r" in your home base chest and now you're overloaded with 1000 pounds of what you had carefully stocked up over days of play. But the worst: The UI sometimes doesn't catch mouse enter/leave events, so you click to do one thing, but the click is registered somewhere else and now you've sold your sword or called an NPC's mother a pig.

Then there are the strange bugs, like when a dragon shows up and doesn't land while you're on a quest stage that caused you to be completely unarmed. There was a frustrating half an hour. But occasional gameplay bugs are to be expected in something this size, while inventory and dialogue functionality is something every player or tester has to spend an inordinate amount of time in. That's what is unforgivable in this game.

Some mods have been released that improve on some of these UI problems. But this rating is for the game as released, not for the game third parties have managed create from the wreckage.
  32. Jul 22, 2012
    Why pay £35 for a program that crashes you to the desktop. Just use alt tab and save your cash :D

Unfinished trite, could have been a good game if it wasn't released, un polished and buggy and getting worse by more bugs introduced in every patch. 8 months to patch a game to a working standard and as for Steam Workshop .... don't get me started there.
  33. Aug 5, 2012
    I don't like TES, i dont like Morrowind, I dont like Oblivion and I dont like Skyrim. I dont like the engine, the animations are awful, the german version has awful voice acting.
  34. Dec 28, 2014
    It's Christmas in Skyrim 2014. The game is over 3 years old and I am still playing it and having a great time. Why? Because of the mods and creation kit. Modded Skyrim is a completely different game - better graphics, more followers, bigger towns, enhanced player homes, more armour, more hairstyles and so many new high quality quests that the original plot sometimes seems tame inIt's Christmas in Skyrim 2014. The game is over 3 years old and I am still playing it and having a great time. Why? Because of the mods and creation kit. Modded Skyrim is a completely different game - better graphics, more followers, bigger towns, enhanced player homes, more armour, more hairstyles and so many new high quality quests that the original plot sometimes seems tame in comparison. So much innovation. So much extra gameplay. The ability to personalise the game world.
    The only depressing part is all the other rpgs that Bethesda could make with the game engine that won't get made,
  35. Feb 4, 2015
    AAA games leaving old school players like high elves, who leave middle earth with ships in Tolkein's tales. I'm not surprised at high ratings because this isn't a bad game for average console player or player who hasn't got enough time to invest in games. Yes, this game has huge world but with lifeless characters. Yes, it has an easy to learn character improvement system but with brokenAAA games leaving old school players like high elves, who leave middle earth with ships in Tolkein's tales. I'm not surprised at high ratings because this isn't a bad game for average console player or player who hasn't got enough time to invest in games. Yes, this game has huge world but with lifeless characters. Yes, it has an easy to learn character improvement system but with broken mechanics. Yes, you have dragons in this game but they are desperate to survive against a town guard's attack. Yes, you have many quests to do but without emotion and they are repetitive. You have cities without people, you have roads without surprising adventures, you have dungeons without danger of life... I miss Morrowind. I miss unsolvable character creation mechanics and rich choices. I miss strange looking places and unknown, deadly dungeons. I miss playing a real RPG...Good luck with this game. Expand
  36. Nov 11, 2011
    One of the most rich and entertaining RPG games of all time. Period. Third person combat is greatly improved as well as first person. There are minor tweaks that could be made to each, but the content more than makes up for it. As a mobile app developer, I only wish I could be part of something this incredible.
  37. Nov 13, 2011
    This gets a solid 5 and even that feels a lot more than it should have been. Where do I start? Bugs everywhere, from immortal NPCs to crime-reporting chickens(!!!!!) . The controls are just horrible and unresponsive. The so-acclaimed UI is a joke - stinks of console, no mapping to numbers, mouse doesn't work in half the containers, and I'd rather have mouse wheel scroll through myThis gets a solid 5 and even that feels a lot more than it should have been. Where do I start? Bugs everywhere, from immortal NPCs to crime-reporting chickens(!!!!!) . The controls are just horrible and unresponsive. The so-acclaimed UI is a joke - stinks of console, no mapping to numbers, mouse doesn't work in half the containers, and I'd rather have mouse wheel scroll through my favourites than do what it does. The whole interface screams 'use a controller!!!', but I don't even own a console because I HATE THOSE THINGS! The graphics are weird in a way that there are great high-res details present and then you see a blurry low-res texture sitting right next to it (guess that makes it easier on console graphics units, BUT I'M NOT PLAYING A CONSOLE!!!!!). AI and pathing are just plain retarded. No point in levelling at all, because your enemies level with you. AND WHERE ARE MY REGULAR STATS? You no longer need to sleep to level, and to make it even more retarded you have now a choice of whole 3 (three!) stats to improve... and a perk (what is this? Fallout?). Dungeon-crawling quickly becomes monotonous and boring. Overall, it feels like a poor Oblivion 2.0 port packaged in recycled gift-wrap. Bethesda managed to take everything that made Morrowind great and... flush it down the drain, because there's non of it in Skyrim. Expand
  38. Nov 11, 2011
    If you get past the graphics, the game is very very good, I would give it a 9.5/10. It is an intense adventure with lots of possibilities, open world, epic storyline, it has everything what I consider important in every RPG !
  39. Feb 17, 2012
    Looking at 31 positive scores i kinda lose faith in professional reviews and feel like they give instant high rating to popular games after playing them for very short time just to pump industry with money and be popular... :/

Imo skyrim lacks what good rpg game should have. Immersive feel, atmosphere and gameplay. Like old thief, baldurs gate, torment or gothic, or to lesser extend new witcher or even amnesia the dark descent... tbh there aren't made many good games nowadays.

Stuff i dislike in skyrim are: big but lone/boring world where most stuff looks the same (copypasta), fighting is just basically boring not involving one or two button smashing(+drinking potions), npcs feel so "detached" in this world don't make me want to look around for quests or to talk to them...
    Main plot was really mediocre and when you complete it game loses any point of playing anymore because everything feels like filler. Game mechanics suck... Why would they even do stuff like lockingpicking, rhetoric, stealth, its just illusion of choice but in truth they are all useless... This whole game feels more like poor fake/artifical "program" and not like word. I even felt more of rpg in WoW than in this mediocre game. Character models move awkwardly when strafing, if you dual wield, your second weapon isn't even displayed on your belt. Games keeps retard friendly skill level both during battles and so called puzzles.
    You get big world, walk around this same caverns without feeling of purpose, without joy or satisfaction when fighting, talking to these same looking fake npcs. Meh... After playing this game for like 30 hours its linearity and repetitiveness becomes very apparent. Very overrated and overhyped game which doesn't even deserve place between true rpgs. These high rating only show how biased and subjective gaming reviewers are, you can't trust them... Sadly this way we can't expect developers to make really good games like in past.

Anyway this game deserve 5 on 10point scale where 10 are greats like torment, fallout, bg2 and 0 utter crap like postal...
    Its still better than oblivion but this doesn't mean its good, im giving it 0 just to downrate it little bit.
  40. Jul 20, 2012
    Skyrim is truly an awful game, there's no reward for anything you do, it's just countless repetitive **** stacked one after another, quest after quest, fight after fight. Skyrim has no direction what soever, the game throws you into a world where all you can do is put 100's of hours into it and get hideously overpowered for no beneficial reason at all. It's a game for children, not aSkyrim is truly an awful game, there's no reward for anything you do, it's just countless repetitive **** stacked one after another, quest after quest, fight after fight. Skyrim has no direction what soever, the game throws you into a world where all you can do is put 100's of hours into it and get hideously overpowered for no beneficial reason at all. It's a game for children, not a professionally made PC game. Period. Expand
  41. Aug 8, 2012
    I've spent probably about one thousand or so hours playing this game's predecessors. Unfortunately, this game failed to have that sort of drawing power for me-- I could only manage about thirty hours on this one before being completely bored.

Graphics: To give you an idea of how well these graphics appealed/will appear to PC gamers, the first time I saw a certain snow texture (on the roof of that broken down fortress inhabited by bandits) I thought my game had glitched and that the snow hadn't fully rendered. To my surprise, that texture had loaded properly-- it was just intended to look completely flat and without any sort of real detail. Bethesda games have never really been known for high quality graphics or animation and I care more about gameplay than graphics, so this isn't that much of a detractor for me; but there's still a certain level of quality that you'd expect from a massive release such as this.

Audio: The only complaint I have about the game's audio is that the soundtrack paled in comparison to its predecessors. The game's trailer probably had the best song related/in the game.

Gameplay: Oh boy, here's where it all goes downhill. The combat has absolutely no depth-- what you do in one fight is what you'll be doing in every fight for the rest of the game.

You'll use your strongest spell against every enemy because, save for one quest, elemental resistances are negligible-- not to mention that the spells in the destruction skill tree don't scale enough to keep them competitive with the melee trees or the conjured weapons.

You'll use power attacks rather than normal attacks because there's no real consequence for using them when you're almost out of stamina, and you also won't be terribly active in combat-- you can't properly dodge attacks, so there's little reason to do anything other than standing in place, spamming power attacks.

That being said, ranged combat works, although not as well as one would expect in a game made so recently-- there's no location-based damage. A headshot is as effective as a body shot, period.

It also doesn't help that the game's iconic enemies (dragons) are severely outclassed by the game's most basic enemies (bandits) once you get to a certain level. Thanks to Skyrim's level-scaling, you'll eventually encounter bandits outfitted in daedric gear who will pose a greater threat to you than the big bads in this game. Certain enemies will also simply be damage sponges that you'll just have to whittle away at until they succumb to their tiny wounds.

Then there's the world. It's largely empty, the towns are incredibly small (Skyrim's capital city only has eleven buildings), and all of the dungeons within the game are insanely streamlined-- more so than Oblivion's dungeons, which were already incredibly straightforward.

Also, there's an insane amount of quest-breaking/game-breaking glitches in the game-- just one look at the Elderscrolls wiki will make you realize how lucky you are to have gotten so far without the game collapsing in on itself.

In all, I'd give it an "at least jumping off of the throat of the world is fun" out of ten.
  42. Dec 8, 2014
    Without mods Skyrim is nothing but a mediocre hiking simulator...

- clunky combat
    - laughably bad writing
    - mostly consists of garbage content ( fetch quests, c&p dungeons, kill x amount of y, etc. )
    - No matter how big a game is, that amount of bugs and glitches is simply not acceptable
    - really poor animations
    - the interface is basically unusable
    - etc.
  43. Nov 11, 2011
    Same engine like they use on Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. I dont care about this, graphics looks nice. Many locations, wpns, spells and great character customization. Good story (3 hours game time). Gameplay is really great, especially if you got spells in one hand and wpns in other one. Thats really fun. But what is the mind-blowing in Skyrim? I have to say that is a atmosphere. ISame engine like they use on Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. I dont care about this, graphics looks nice. Many locations, wpns, spells and great character customization. Good story (3 hours game time). Gameplay is really great, especially if you got spells in one hand and wpns in other one. Thats really fun. But what is the mind-blowing in Skyrim? I have to say that is a atmosphere. I didn't like Fallout 3 much, but there was this kind of catching atmosphere too. If you are in open world and just exploring land or when you find some dark cave and spend one hour there just with torch and one-hand sword. That's great. I want to give it 10, but i can't. Simply because it's a port of console and controls are not so good. You can "favorite" wpns/spells so you can quickly change them, but you can't just bind them to 1,2,3 etc. Last think - menu and abilities management is not "transparent", for me it is a little bit confusing. But that's just it, after all i really like this game and looking forward to see more. Expand
  44. May 30, 2012
    The most overrated game in RPG history. The world is grey, the combat boils down to hit the right trigger over and over , an the story is just dull. Sure the graphics are amazing but the game just lacked anything engaging . The dragons lacked the doing feel of the oblivion gates in Oblivion, and overall the characters where forgettable . Worst of all they dumbed down the skill system againThe most overrated game in RPG history. The world is grey, the combat boils down to hit the right trigger over and over , an the story is just dull. Sure the graphics are amazing but the game just lacked anything engaging . The dragons lacked the doing feel of the oblivion gates in Oblivion, and overall the characters where forgettable . Worst of all they dumbed down the skill system again making character creation only effect your appearance in the long run. For me skyrim was a backwards step for the elder scrolls series in every department. Expand
  45. Mar 25, 2012
    Thid game is between HOrriblivion and Morrowind.
    History and plot wise it is quite weak average, 5
    Gameplay wise its merely a port from 360 so it lacks a lot, 2 Sound wise its good, 8 Grafic wise its past mediocre, 6 UI its total port useless to PC, 2 Exploring, as usual, 10 Character development bad, awesomely bas and anounced horrible since the start, but it s even worse, 1, Overall the
    Thid game is between HOrriblivion and Morrowind.
    History and plot wise it is quite weak average, 5
    Gameplay wise its merely a port from 360 so it lacks a lot, 2
    Sound wise its good, 8
    Grafic wise its past mediocre, 6
    UI its total port useless to PC, 2
    Exploring, as usual, 10

Overall the game becaome shallow too fast, extremely repetitive, simplistic,
  46. Feb 23, 2012
    Most overrated game ever. I got about half way through the main quest, and did a few sidequests that didn't involve collecting about 50 of random items. I only did half of the main quest as I got bored every time I played this, and quit after a while, due to this. The reason I kept playing until then? It was a game I wanted to like, due to the reviews. But there were too many problems. TheMost overrated game ever. I got about half way through the main quest, and did a few sidequests that didn't involve collecting about 50 of random items. I only did half of the main quest as I got bored every time I played this, and quit after a while, due to this. The reason I kept playing until then? It was a game I wanted to like, due to the reviews. But there were too many problems. The menus are horrible to navigate, and the skill tree menu confused me.
    The AI are stupid, i'll usually find a few NPCs and enemies walking into walls.
    There are so many glitches in the game, it became unplayable at one point, and I had to re-install it because of it.
    The physics are so bad. Countless times I have picked a jug or something similar up, and it's bounced off a wall, and flown into me, killing me.
    The graphics are horrible on the max settings, even with the HD Texture Pack, recently released, which I re-installed the game for.
    And, my god, the fans. If I mention to some people on a forum or on a game online, i'll be called a troll. I am not a troll for disliking something you like. And don't even get me started on the "Arrow to the knee" fad.
    There are some good points, but only because they made me laugh. The Fus Ro Dah shout made my ribs hurt from laughter, mainly because of how the people ragdoll. Especially fun when you find a Goat on a mountain.
    The range of weapons and armor is massive and the map is huge.
    The Dragons are an interesting feature, but beyond broken.

I wanted to like this game, but it was just one of the worst gaming experiences I have ever had.
  47. Nov 29, 2012
    I really tried to like this game. I played it for 20 hours or more. I set the graphics to ULTRA and they are good. The character creation seems good too. So, why a low rating? good question. Lets see....... 1. Bugs Everywhere. If you think the world in Skyrim is Big, you must see its bug list. Even trying to make it run is painful. Dragon fly backward, NPCs unable to left a room, problemsI really tried to like this game. I played it for 20 hours or more. I set the graphics to ULTRA and they are good. The character creation seems good too. So, why a low rating? good question. Lets see....... 1. Bugs Everywhere. If you think the world in Skyrim is Big, you must see its bug list. Even trying to make it run is painful. Dragon fly backward, NPCs unable to left a room, problems with sound, etc... 2. Sandbox. I know, thats good sometimes but nor for a RPG, I really want a motivation for my character!. 3. Inventory. Do you want a game to spend 30% of your time looking for your stuff? I don't. 4. Weight. This game has a lot of items to build. Armors, Weapons, potions. But your character cant carry the "ingredients" because everything is too heavy. Even the flowers. 5. Menus. Everything is designed for Xbox. You don't want that on your PC. 6. Too easy. Troll regeneration: check, invincible NPCs to help you: check, dull A.I.: check. Oh, talking about NPCs... 7. Empty "party" NPCs . They dont chat with you, they dont have a life, they just fight everything you fight. So far from Minsc, Jan Jansen , even that mute guy from Out of this World. 8. Price. Why is so expensive when I can find good games cheaper? In the end, this game seems so good but is not fun. It has not soul. Was designed just to earn a few (or a lot of) bucks, not for the greatness. Expand
  48. Nov 11, 2011
    This game has some obvious flaws. The UI that really only works well with a gamepad is the most glaring one. You can find blurry textures if you look for them, and I've no doubt you can find a number of other glitches if you try. My recommendation is that you don't look for errors, and instead enjoy the awesome experience this game has to offer. Skyrim can pull you in as easily as any TESThis game has some obvious flaws. The UI that really only works well with a gamepad is the most glaring one. You can find blurry textures if you look for them, and I've no doubt you can find a number of other glitches if you try. My recommendation is that you don't look for errors, and instead enjoy the awesome experience this game has to offer. Skyrim can pull you in as easily as any TES game, you can do a lot more than in previous titles, and its scenery is a lot more imaginative and detailed than Oblivion's. Expand
  49. Nov 15, 2011
    I've really waited for the release of Skyrim but in the end this game turns out be just average.

The graphics look like a lazy console port with textures flickering in the distance. I have to admit that there's a lot to do in Skyrim (with a huge number of side quests and things to explore) however the main story remains boring and very predictable. The skill system looks nice at the beginning however I'm missing the feeling that the character improves on a level up.

It seems that this is Oblivion 1.2 with slightly improved graphics and an enhanced skill system.
  50. Nov 12, 2011
    This game is everything I thought it would be and then some. It has amazing gameplay, far improved from Oblivions hack and slash/rinse repeat tactics. Magic is actually fun now, the people no longer look cartoonish. The world feels so real and alive. Radiant story randomizes quests. Me and my friend discussed our travels to the same area, and we had very different experiences. WonderfulThis game is everything I thought it would be and then some. It has amazing gameplay, far improved from Oblivions hack and slash/rinse repeat tactics. Magic is actually fun now, the people no longer look cartoonish. The world feels so real and alive. Radiant story randomizes quests. Me and my friend discussed our travels to the same area, and we had very different experiences. Wonderful combat. Plenty of quests. Not the best graphics in the world, but definitely good enough to give some amazing looking landscapes. There are quite a few bugs, but BGS is kind of known for this. Luckily, they are also known for patching and fixing all of those bugs. Within a week, I see this game running smooth as butter. You can fish, smith armor, tan hides, cook, make potions and poisons, enchant things, help out random townspeople, catch butterflies, hunt game, and kill dragons. You can do anything. 10/10 Oblivion was my favorite game before this, and just as I expected this has blown past and is now in 1st by a long shot. Expand
  51. Nov 13, 2011
    What an achievement. A massive, stunning adventure in a rich, vast world filled with thousands of years of history. Gameplay is streamlined and varied at the same time. Exploration is endless, as are the quests and number of characters to meet and interact with. Visually, they've taken some slightly dated tech and cranked it up to 11, creating an atmosphere that draws you in and never letsWhat an achievement. A massive, stunning adventure in a rich, vast world filled with thousands of years of history. Gameplay is streamlined and varied at the same time. Exploration is endless, as are the quests and number of characters to meet and interact with. Visually, they've taken some slightly dated tech and cranked it up to 11, creating an atmosphere that draws you in and never lets you go. There's so much thought, care and artistry involved in every area of Skyrim, that you're more immersed than you are in the shiny Battlefields and Modern Warfares of the world. The Soundtrack is simply stunning, possibly the best game soundtrack I've ever come across. You have to admire the sheer audacity and ambition of a project like this and forgive the small glitches and problems that don't even come close to ruining the ultimate experience. A deserving 10. Expand
  52. Feb 11, 2012
    Ok i was expecting a great rpg but guess what it sucked was like wow except not even that fun seriusly bathesda i was hopping for a out of this world rpg but guess what you made **** you need to make a new series dammit
  53. Nov 8, 2014
    My problem with basically every game that tries to be real general and open, is that the impact of your choices decreases proportional to the amount of choices. Skyrim: millions of choices, no ability to fundamentally impact the world. It's a small step away from flying around a landscape in a 3D modelling program. Yes, I can increase my smithing to 100, but for what? So I can 'make' aMy problem with basically every game that tries to be real general and open, is that the impact of your choices decreases proportional to the amount of choices. Skyrim: millions of choices, no ability to fundamentally impact the world. It's a small step away from flying around a landscape in a 3D modelling program. Yes, I can increase my smithing to 100, but for what? So I can 'make' a 3D model that someone else made and have slightly better stats so I can delete some other 3D models from the map, and these 3D models don't even impact the virtual world, and I didn't even need the increased stats to kill them. There has to be either a decided goal for a game, or some fundamental human thing at its core, like love or friendship or dreams

I don't need actual hard work in my fantasy. That's why fantasy exists, that's why I'm pretending and not actually doing it. I pretend so I can have all the good bits, and not have to deal with the bad bits. Skyrim seems to have the opposite philosophy. Work real hard, suffer all kinds of unpleasantness, for no reason whatsoever. All the bad bits and no good bits. We already have that, it's called Real Life.
  54. Nov 11, 2011
    My GOTY no doubt. PC version. The only thing I didn't like in comparison to the previous two titles was the environment. I know it's Skyrim but I miss the vibrant landscapes in Oblivion.
  55. Nov 11, 2011
    THIS GAME IS AWESOME SHOULD NOT BE MISSED it lives UP TO THE HYPE!!!!!!! play it guys its going to be GOTY baby. I've played Oblivion and Morrowind but Skyrim has the best of both worlds and just improved upon its greatness.
  56. Nov 12, 2011
    This is an amazing game, that's all it really takes to explain it. If you're not used to the story-based RPG genre, you will more than likely not enjoy this game. It, like the others in the series, is slower moving and more involved than what most ADD FPS Point-and-Click players can handle. And that's what I think most of the negative reviews are about. People like to point out theThis is an amazing game, that's all it really takes to explain it. If you're not used to the story-based RPG genre, you will more than likely not enjoy this game. It, like the others in the series, is slower moving and more involved than what most ADD FPS Point-and-Click players can handle. And that's what I think most of the negative reviews are about. People like to point out the smallest flaws and drastically reduce their rating because they were expecting a perfect, seamless game on release date. It doesn't happen, there is no such thing as a flawless game.

Basically, this game requires patience. It is a massive world and it takes more than a few minutes to get from town to town, there's gonna be a few glitches and inconsistencies. Give'em a break. See a bug? Let Bethesda know.
  57. Nov 12, 2011
    like the game; a fresh direction for the elder scrolls series; there is some stuff i miss, allot is different but its a fresh change of pace, a fun single player experience and overall seems a good game;

the engine is pretty impressive to me; and i enjoy the scenery and the role playing aspects of the game;
    in my mind its one of the best games to be released this year!
  58. Nov 12, 2011
    Game looks spectacular. It's not as rewarding as Oblivion or Morrowind. Every quest requires that you trek across the map to one point to progress...only to have to trek to the furthest point on the map from that position to get to the next quest point. This is annoying for two reasons: 1.) Blockades ala Fallout 3 prevent you from shortcutting. Mountains will block your progress atGame looks spectacular. It's not as rewarding as Oblivion or Morrowind. Every quest requires that you trek across the map to one point to progress...only to have to trek to the furthest point on the map from that position to get to the next quest point. This is annoying for two reasons: 1.) Blockades ala Fallout 3 prevent you from shortcutting. Mountains will block your progress at every turn. 2.) Anticipate a lot of boring walking and getting dead-ended by cliffs.

Two other gripes. The writing is well below Morrowind and Oblivion. Oddly the books you will find are 10 times bigger...of 10x poorer writing. The voice acting is all over the place, and most of the characters talk in a very slow, ponderous style. It takes forever to get through these character's monologues....just to discover you have to trek all the way to the other side of skyrim to progress in the quest. The characters say almost nothing of interest. For instance asking the Greybeards about the dragonborn, results in an almost 3 minute monologue that ends with, "we don't really know why some are dragonborn, but they come in a time of need." Wow thanks! That was rewarding!

The speech options are weird. Over half of them are sarcastic and off-putting. You can either ask questions, or give d-bag responses. Really messes with the atmosphere of the game.

Game looks like a million bucks. Questing is harder than Oblivion and Morrowind, in that they are harder to stumble upon. NPC's will talk your ear off...with no pay off. While I like the fact the books have been expanded...the writing is very poor. Quests essentially work like this: Go to place that is furthest possible from quest giver. After completing some minor task, trek all the way to the furthest possible place from that point in the quest. Complete some minor task. It just seems like they are stretching the play hours.

The game looks and runs great. It's not Oblivion or Morrowind. This may be good or bad depending on how you like these games. Expect to get your ear talked off about a lot of unimportant information. Expect to criss-cross the map for quests designed to lengthen the game experience. This game is probably much shorter than Oblivion or Morrowind. Also, as great as the game looks, Morrowind and Cyrodill had more interesting architecture and environments.
  59. Nov 13, 2011
    Every game gets me bored after 2-3 days but not Skyrim, and with all that mods i will play it forever.
    And for those who care only about graphic, play some other game, in Skyrim graphic is not that important.
    This game must be GOTY (Game Of The Year).
  60. Nov 14, 2011
    Overall the best game I have ever played. Great game-play, very beautiful graphics, and a good solid storyline. The guys at Bethesda has really outdone them self this time. However I have experienced a few bugs in the game, mainly game crashes. I have played around 25 hours, and the game has crashed approximately 10 times. Not a big problem, but annoying.
  61. Nov 14, 2011
    For reference I've played 22 hours this weekend, and am level 17.

Graphics In some ways they are better then Oblivion (although I haven't finished my little comparison screenshot project yet), but I side with those who say that Bethseda have slacked here. I think the modelling is better, but the textures are somewhat lacking. I also think the spell effects look cracking. Sound
    For reference I've played 22 hours this weekend, and am level 17.

I also think the spell effects look cracking.

Sound and Music

Because sound is so important in a game like this, I deliberately went out and bought myself new speakers (a set of Creative T10s). This is was a damn good move, and it made a huge difference.

The music I've heard so far is good. There are, however, some issues with characters talking over one another during conversations.

The voice acting is fine, although some accents are a bit comical. Because of the scale of the game it is impossible to have every single character individually voiced, but it's certainly a lot better than Oblivion.

Interface

I actually like the new system. It's certainly a lot more usable than Oblivion, although very buggy. Container crash anyone? I like the favourites system, but I still haven't worked on number key bindings yet. Bethseda have slacked and should have opened up keymapping so that people could go the whole hog though.

One thing I would also like to see is the ability to create sets of items, which could be named and accessed from favourites.

Levelling, Skills and Perks

I like the new system for levelling. I tried playing Oblivion three times (yes THREE), always got lost trying to min/max my stats. Simple is better in this case.

The perks system is straightforward, and the reduction in the number of skills helps.

Combat

Again better than Oblivion, although I do get lost easily in close melee. Strafing is god where you can get space, as is line of sight, especially against hard/multiple opponents. I agree that it feels a bit detached at times though.

Some mobs are ridiculously OP in melee, and can one or two shot you no matter what you try. It means that you have to adjust your play style, and run away or sneak more. It's just annoying to have to bounce back to the last save.

In the end if you really want to kill something that's hard, turn the difficulty down.

Magic

The magic system is the same sort of thing as before, a tried an tested formula, although I disagree that a lack of custom spells is a bad thing. It makes you think about what you're doing, rather than power levelling (see later).

I haven't gotten to the more complex spells so it does all seem a little samey right now, but I suspect things will improve.

Also someone complained about the simplicity of the spells in another review. What were you expecting? Magic rabbits firing rainbows at unicorns? Or a Summon Bridge spell? Crafting/Enchanting

Seems like a good system, although I haven't had much experience of it. I like that you have to destroy items to get enchants, which is fairer than the spellcasting based Oblivion system.

Quests

In general it's the normal type of thing. You're usually sent to the far side of the map from where you are (at least for main quests), but then that just allows you more reason to explore. I haven't had any experience of the new random quest system yet, but in general no complaints.

Exploring and Dungeons

Lots to see, and I like the placing of stuff just in sight of something else (at least if you have a long view distance), so you're always running off to check something. Someone complained about the lack of mobs between places, but to be honest there are some that are just OP in melee (see above), so I'm glad of the rest. Dungeons are generally fine, and I like that you seemingly have to wait 30 days for them to respawn rather than 3, which is much more sensible than the 3 days in Oblivion. Summary and Fixes This is a good game. It's not perfect, and it needs some work to make it brilliant. Bethseda need to get the really big Bug Squasher (tm) out quickly to make sure that their audience gets the attention it deserves. Patch 1.2 had better be out by the end of the month at the very latest if they don't want to alienate people. That also goes for the graphics as well, although at least part of the blame should lie with AMD, who have slacked on getting Crossfire and performance drivers out. One up for NVidia, and a pity I don't have NVidia graphics cards. DLC is coming, but I don't know when. Right now I think Bethseda have at least till Xmas before people start to get gnarly, although you'll always have the hardcore that finish it in days. But then you could release new content every other day and they'd still be complaining about it not being fast enough. I believe that the overall score at present (8.5) is fair, as it would all kind of balance out. It would increase to a 9 or so if all the actually bad bits were fixed, or at least alleviated.
  62. Nov 14, 2011
    First and foremost I am giving this game a fair and opinionated accurate review. I am a Morrowind Fanatic, Oblivion was a let down to me in terms of everything but combat. Skyrim is acceptable, it is not as good in terms of world/storyline/etc as Morrowind. Keep in mind I have beaten the game and I will not provide spoilers but I will explain some things regarding the end of theFirst and foremost I am giving this game a fair and opinionated accurate review. I am a Morrowind Fanatic, Oblivion was a let down to me in terms of everything but combat. Skyrim is acceptable, it is not as good in terms of world/storyline/etc as Morrowind. Keep in mind I have beaten the game and I will not provide spoilers but I will explain some things regarding the end of the storyline.

Skyrim has an amazing world, brilliantly created in many ways, a few anatomy related errors, mainly the horses and glitchy animations at times. The combat has been refined from oblivion quite a bit but the melee feels like a cross between oblivion and dark messiah. The bows are also a lot more balanced and spell casting is not bad at all.

Here is the bad news (which is why it gets a lower than perfect rating). 1. lack of athletics and acrobatics skill, this is self explanatory and Bethesda should be ashamed of not adding it. 2. The storyline ends up feeling too much like Eragon the movie (not the books). 3. Anti-climatic end boss fights. 4. Main storyline quest is obviously someones bad acid trip (e.g. the dwarf underground area). 5. Melee combat still feels a little clunky. 6. There seems to be a lack of places to explore similar to oblivion or Morrowind, and even when you do find a ton of them they tend to be a lot smaller than the other two games. For an elder scrolls game, this is a problem. 7. About three epic moments earlier on in the game that make me feel pride or honor but after that, nothing at all. Game just becomes a bad mash-up of cliche and horribly predictable plot-lines. 8. End boss made me feel unfulfilled when I beat him, its common for games these days to make the second to last boss more difficult than the last one. I am not sure why, but as a fellow game developer this is offensive. 9. The sound volume is extremely low for any given game, I have to turn my speakers up to almost max to be able to hear anything, if I try to play music in the background all game sounds are canceled out and I just get a soundless game. 10. Console to pc port. This is a mistake that I simply cannot look past. Since the game uses steam for Authentication and its a console to pc port, I would be very surprised if they actually have a large mod community which any TES and Fallout series of game ends up relying on at some point, more so for the TES games, though.

Now for the good:

1. The enchanting system is well done, I personally like it better than oblivon and morrowind. 2. Crafting is a good thing, this was long overdue and its not done too poorly. 3. Dual wield 4. Better graphics (I do factor in graphics as part of a review, I use the system from the early 90s)

Here is the end rating:

Graphics 9 out of 10
    Sound 7 out of 10
    Gameplay: 8 out of 10
    Longevity: 9 out of 10 (compared to other games in todays market)
    Fun Factor: 8 out of 10

What would I personally set a value for what the game is worth?: $40.00 (usd)

This game gets an 8 out of 10, it has a lot of issues that can easily be worked out with patches, but there are just some things I cannot get past. Oddly while I prefer Morrowind more I end up giving it a lower rating based on the early 90s rating system due to the horrible graphics it had out of the box. BTW this rating is all out of the box and for the game before its patched, please keep this in mind.
  63. Nov 15, 2011
    First off, ignore all the haters. All they care about is graphics, and probebly only play COD. This is not some game where you run around shooting people, this is a thinking mans game. Its smart, and has a wealth of content. Litterally 100's of hours woth, and I for one will be playing it at least that long. Yes, the graphics arnt perfect, but thats not the point. They are actually a hugeFirst off, ignore all the haters. All they care about is graphics, and probebly only play COD. This is not some game where you run around shooting people, this is a thinking mans game. Its smart, and has a wealth of content. Litterally 100's of hours woth, and I for one will be playing it at least that long. Yes, the graphics arnt perfect, but thats not the point. They are actually a huge step up from the previous Bethesda games. This is a amazing game, and is a perfect 10/10. Expand
  64. Nov 17, 2011
    This game, like any other bethesda games, just suck!

I try hard to understand HOW this game can have all this hype. I mean, take a look at the game. Just doesn't go with the flow. I think 90% of the players like just because most like it. It cant be good because ITS NOT. Its all broken, physics sux, textures, graphics, story... all extremely bad! I feel like Im playing a 1997 PC game
    This game, like any other bethesda games, just suck!

I feel like Im playing a 1997 PC game from a bad game maker. If I could, I would give -10. I dont give this bad score unless the game REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY deserves. Congratulations Skyrim!
  65. Nov 18, 2011
    While no game really deserves a perfect score, I can't give Skyrim a mere 9 out of 10. There are a couple of minor issues with the PC version, but the only one that even bothers me at all, is the interface. It could be much better. There are some minor graphical glitches here and there, but looking at the game in the big picture, the 5th chapter in The Elder Scrolls series is worthy of aWhile no game really deserves a perfect score, I can't give Skyrim a mere 9 out of 10. There are a couple of minor issues with the PC version, but the only one that even bothers me at all, is the interface. It could be much better. There are some minor graphical glitches here and there, but looking at the game in the big picture, the 5th chapter in The Elder Scrolls series is worthy of a score in the high 90 percentile. There is so much to see and do. So many ways to develop your character, weapons, spells etc. that it boggles the mind. At first I was like a kid in a candy store. I didn't know where to start. Should I get a good start on the main quest or do just a little and then seek out the guilds and join one. Should I limit my exploring to one small area of the map, or check out a few far sections and see what was out there. Am I a hero with unwavering scruples, or will I do anything for more gold? Once I settled in, I got lost in Skyrim. Not in the "What the hell am I doing?" type of lost, but the "I should really go to bed / feed the dog / get to work" kind of lost. My video recorder is rapidly filling with TV shows that I've been ignoring, and the only time my wife has seen me during the past week is when we have dinner and do the dishes. Yes, this game is that good. There are plenty of places to find details on the game and the type of quests you will face, but I encourage anyone looking to pick up Skyrim, to play it without spoilers and discover a world where you can be the hero, thief, murderer, and dragon-slayer. Be one, or be them all. If you hate that the price of PC games are now averaging $60 for AAA titles, fret not with Skyrim, as you get your money's worth and more. Expand
  66. Nov 21, 2011
    This game is one of the best! its so much fun! i have played only 21 hours, and there is so much to do! there so much to explore, fight, lvl, and so much more. only one word to say MASTERPIECE!
  67. Nov 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After sinking 42 hours in to the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim it's a proper time to finally time to give it the review it does. I will be the first to say that I love Bethesda Softworks games, the big worlds the stories, and I hold Fallout 3 being one of the best RPG of this era. That probably has to do with some things I am about to say.

The Good:

Fist off I am running the game on near max settings, and the game looks fabulous when compared to the Fallout series, it's lovely to see Bethesda step up the look of the game. It gives me faith that they will continue on that path. Rocks look like rocks, trees look like trees, the castle stone looks fantastic. The character modeling and weather effects are also excellent. After spending a few days playing BF3 maxed out I still felt like Skyrim was up to par graphically.

They did some really good things when it comes to dialog to make it feel more natural, often times NPCs will speak without you actually having to talk to them. It's a little thing but it really worked.

The voice acting is pretty good, I never felt like the lines where too cheesy or poorly done. You often run in to multiple characters having a conversation with each other which is nice to see.

At least early in the game it feels like a thriller being attacked by a giant dragon and running for your life. The trill of learning the game was fun while it lasted.

Many unique looking locations, from small towns to sprawling castle complexes. Architecture can differ so it doesn't feel like it's more of the same.

You can learn some of the more advanced things in the games from NPCs, like for example smithing a weapon.

A vast array of categories or attributes to build your character around. You can take basically any character and fit them to exactly how you want to play, which feels a lot more dynamic than Fallout.

The Bad:

If you never played a Bethesda RPG type game I'd expect you to be lost when you first start playing, I know I was a little at first. The menu system is a little clunky IMHO but I did get past that fairly quickly.

Companions are utterly ridiculous. They will often times lag behind, get lost, block doorways, fall down holes, and yes die. There is no decent way to control them, even basically like in Fallout where you could tell them to use close range weapons or long range weapons, or to stay close or back off, or tell them to passive or aggressive. So as soon as an enemy appears your companions / conjured creatures will attack them even if you keep moving and try to run away from them. And if you keep running? Yep the just seem to get lost half the time. If I wasn't playing a conjuring type character I would have killed my companion and went on my way.

There is no way, at least not from what I have found, to change weapon sets. It would have been a nice feature to be able to configure different sets to adjust to different enemies.

Dungeons or caves, they are basically one in the same, and get extremely repetitive quickly. That's not to say they are all carbon copies of each of there, because they aren't, however they all follow the same basic principals. Generally small zig zagging corridors, leading to larger areas where combat takes place, and finishing in a final main chamber where you typically fight some sort of boss character and collect some nice loot. These make up the bulk of the quests in the game, or so it feels.

I had no idea when I completed the main story line. You defeat the bad guy, and you get to go on your way. I like the fact that you can continue to play the game, but I kept playing aggressively because it didn't feel very anti-climatic and there where still dragons everywhere so I figured there was something else that needed to be done. It was just recently I ran out of mostly interesting quests and looked online for the main quest order to my dismay.

Speaking of dismay, bugs. I found the game crashed on PC quite often and forced me to save early and save often otherwise I'd easily wipe out 20 min worth of work at a crack. The "Battle For Windhelm" quest was particularly painful. Also the quest "The Foresworn Conspiracy" also bugged out leading me to not be able to finish the quest. It should almost be expected these days that when games come out they are not truly done, but it's a very poor way to do business IMHO.

Dragons, honestly just become a huge nuisance after a while, and I often times do not have the choice to fight them. They will block your fast travel from a wide area.

In Closing:

Bethesda has set the bar high in the recent years. Unfortunately Skyrim has a fairly boring story, poor game mechanics, and glitches that really kill the feel of an otherwise good game that looks fantastic. One day I hope to come back and re-evaluate it. I'm sure there will be DLC.
  68. Nov 25, 2011
    Like Morrowind and Oblivion before it, a damn good game. I could rave about all the things I love about this game, but will focus on the interface.

It is an adjustment from the old way, and for the first day or two I thought it was a sacrifice to benefit the console players, but I have adapted and appreciated the change. One thing I appreciate, is that the E key not only picks up items, but you hold down the button, to hold the item, a simple improvement. And the duel weapon/spell system is a great new idea, although I would like it a bit more polished, sometimes I need to go into my inventory to equip two of the same weapon and other minor issues. Hopefully that will change in a patch. Otherwise, no complaints.
  69. Nov 28, 2011
    To put it short: brilliant game. I have been using every spare moment of my time since the game released to play it. I honestly can't remember being this immersed in a game since I first played World of Warcraft back in 2006 or so. That's really saying something considering most games do not impress me at all these days.

Having never been a fan of the Elder Scrolls series before this

Having never been a fan of the Elder Scrolls series before this game, perhaps my opinions is a little skewed. For me, this has been an entirely new experience that I thought may have only existed in MMO's, a market that is completely saturated at this current time. I was beyond surprised and pleased when I began my journeys through the harsh, beautiful, and vast world of Skyrim. The voice overs are good, only becoming cheesy or poor from time to time, the combat system is fun and feels rewarding br leveling your character up in real time by actually performing an action, and perks you receive from leveling up definitely make your character feel like more of a hero. That heavy armor may take up alot of your bag space, but trust me, once you fill out your perks, it's worth it! Other skills are improved upon in a similar, rewarding way. The game isn't without it problems. The game has several glitches, and many people have even run into game breaking bugs. If you play on PC, there seems to be a constant "crash to desktop" error as well that can be pretty infuriating when you are engrossed in the game. Having to constantly save due to a game's instability is unacceptable. Overall, the game is gorgeous and rewarding, though at times the bugs can cause you to want to rip your hair out. Given the massive size of this world and the adventures that take place in it though, most players will be willing to forgive them. The good far, far outweighs the bad. A game I will certainly never forget.
  70. Dec 20, 2011
    The very best feature in Skyrim is ignoring what you're supposed to do. It's a compelling feature and one that also signifies shortcomings in different areas. It's an issue when the most fun you have is pointing your character in one direction and simply walking. Not because this isn't enjoyable -- it's mind blowing -- it's because it says that the main narrative isn't compelling enough toThe very best feature in Skyrim is ignoring what you're supposed to do. It's a compelling feature and one that also signifies shortcomings in different areas. It's an issue when the most fun you have is pointing your character in one direction and simply walking. Not because this isn't enjoyable -- it's mind blowing -- it's because it says that the main narrative isn't compelling enough to see through. There is more fun in exploring a random cave you stumbled upon and finding a new shout than it is exploring the civil conflict that is plaguing Skyrim. That said, doing whatever you want to do in a great setting is easily enough to sink triple digit hours into. In one playthrough I decided to head East for the majority of my questing and while many of the caves started to look the same, the little stories you find tucked away were unique. The game handles as one would expect of an Elder Scrolls title and in that it feels a little weak. Press a button and press it again and again and again and again. Once you're strong enough you simple charge up and smack things in one hit. Casting has a bit more variation but once you learn to summon certain companions the challenge evaporates here as well. Some of the skill trees are utterly worthless and should have been folded into others, but the game is still worth playing and getting lost it. Expand
  71. Dec 25, 2011
    I've been playing the series since Morrowind and I know it sounds elitist and unoriginal to say, but the games have been going downhill ever since. This latest game is by far the most repetitive and unoriginal game by far. The story really doesn't even feel TES, it's lacking on all fronts and is what I expect of a low budget Hollywood movie. The geography is almost universally the sameI've been playing the series since Morrowind and I know it sounds elitist and unoriginal to say, but the games have been going downhill ever since. This latest game is by far the most repetitive and unoriginal game by far. The story really doesn't even feel TES, it's lacking on all fronts and is what I expect of a low budget Hollywood movie. The geography is almost universally the same climate, i'd say a good 90% is covered in snow, 6% forest, 3% swamp, 1% badlands. Every city seems to be the same. The player really never gets a reason to feel sorry for the Stormcloaks yet it seems to be forced on us from the very beginging that they're the good guys. Dragons? Well they start off kinda ok, then you kill your first 5 and you think, "well they're nothing special." And by the time you kill the 12th or so you think, "Why'd they even put them in the game." Seriously, for a world in which dragons are suppose to be these ultimate beings, exceptionally rare, and rightfully feared by everyone, why does it only take 6 city guardsman to kill one? Why are do you seem to find one every 500 yards? Why do they rinse and repeat the same scripted attack patterns over and over? So why did I give it a 7? Well if its your first time playing an Elder Scrolls game you're gonna love it. But if you're a veteran of the series you probably couldn't play more than 30 hours before you had to give it up in boredom. Expand
  72. Jan 15, 2012
    Despite the many bugs the game is excellent, even the game trailer super popular cry, and yes there are games = D FUS RO DAH
    Here it is the best game of the year!
    here it here it is my dream game Skyrim hefty guys skaaaaaayrim !!!!!!!!
  73. Jan 17, 2012
    Skyrim is a good game, but something about it doesn't seem right to me. Maybe it's because I am extremely tired of fantasy adventure settings, wonder why open world games are so good, or maybe it's because Skyrim has the same exact gameplay as Oblivion or Morrowind. Just repackaged with better music, sounds, animations, and graphics. But, in all honesty, it is still an excellent game thatSkyrim is a good game, but something about it doesn't seem right to me. Maybe it's because I am extremely tired of fantasy adventure settings, wonder why open world games are so good, or maybe it's because Skyrim has the same exact gameplay as Oblivion or Morrowind. Just repackaged with better music, sounds, animations, and graphics. But, in all honesty, it is still an excellent game that DOES take awhile for me to enjoy it thoroughly. One of my favorite aspects is the perk system, which does not fail in allowing you to use WHATEVER you want. As a fan of warriors who uses two handed swords and matching armor, this game REALLY caters to me! Let's see World of Warcraft or ANY OTHER RPG do that, as they only encourage you to use "what's best". Anyway, Skyrim is stellar in every aspect, but tough for people like me to get into... Expand
  74. Jan 22, 2012
    At first I was very sceptical about the graphical design and character animations of this title but the immersion that this vivid worlds offers is unprecedented! You don't enter a location after a loading screen, you don't switch from jungle to icy mountain tops in seconds. You have to move your ass out of the house that you've just bought, mount your stolen horse and ride, ride and ride.At first I was very sceptical about the graphical design and character animations of this title but the immersion that this vivid worlds offers is unprecedented! You don't enter a location after a loading screen, you don't switch from jungle to icy mountain tops in seconds. You have to move your ass out of the house that you've just bought, mount your stolen horse and ride, ride and ride. The weather will change and you'll meet some bandits along the road but after a while you'll reach the windy sanctuary. The feeling is GREAT! Expand
  75. Feb 27, 2012
    AMAZING! A lot better on PC than Xbox 360. It's especially better if you have it on steam since there you can download great mods. It's just a beautiful fun game!!!!!!!
  76. Feb 29, 2012
    For being one of the most anticipated games of the year it did not disappoint. With character customization in both aesthetic and skill values and hours of side quests many of which contain very interesting stories) it has been called game of the year for a reason. The graphic quality was amazing and unlike other preceding rpg games skyrim gave you entire country to explore with no linearFor being one of the most anticipated games of the year it did not disappoint. With character customization in both aesthetic and skill values and hours of side quests many of which contain very interesting stories) it has been called game of the year for a reason. The graphic quality was amazing and unlike other preceding rpg games skyrim gave you entire country to explore with no linear story line to decide how you played out the wonderful and fascinating story that the elder scrolls always brings us. I also really enjoyed player interaction with the characters and other npcs, like when passing guards would comment on your great new gear or how epic it was when you slayed those bandits or witches or other great evil or how some npcs showed thier appreciation for you when you completed certain quests for them. The few downsides were for a game with such a large budget they could have down with more voice actors it felt like I was talking to the same individual each time even if that previous individual was last seen at the other end of the country and they could have spent some time ironing out some of the bugs that frequently gave the players a laugh or an annoyance (like the flying mammoths for instance). All in all a great game that I would recommend to just about anybody. Fus Ro Dah Expand
  77. Nov 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After Bethesda's fallout 3 I had high hopes that the Elder Scrolls would finally come around to the same concept. Instead you still are John/Jane Doe whilst travelling through a - diversified - wilderness. The world doesn't react to your exploits. You stay a nobody throughout the game and even if you made it to the top of some guild, your underlings still treat you like the new stablehand. Same goes for the NPC population which mostly has just one line for you, regardless of who or what your character is. Some of the worst examples might be the mage at Whiterun, rambling on about you joining the mage guild, even if you're the head of said guild. The civil war, regardless of the side you picked, is bland and simply stops without further addo to throw you into Nobody territorry again. And then there are countless aspects where this game really could have shone if the devs added some depths. Marriage for example. A genius idea, but it stays a skeleton without any detail. All in all, a typical Elder Scroll game. I loved Morrowind when it came out in 2002, but the world moved on since then and what was good enough 10 years ago, isn't state of the art anymore. It's fun to play around a bit, but I never felt the compulsion to do a second playthrough. Expand
  78. Nov 15, 2012
    a horrible, horrible game, so unoriginal and utterly boring as hell. the graphics suck and so does the gameplay, never waste your money on this game, i wish i didn't make the mistake of buying this pile of crap
  79. Dec 6, 2014
    It's really hard to rate this game; Each review is subjective, because every one of us is different. Rpg's are also different; some of them focus on different parts of the gaming experience, others in other.

What does Skyrim do best? Ambience (graphics and sound), exploration and adventure. What does Skyrim do worst? Narrative (plot, storyline, characters), progression (quests, hero

What does Skyrim do worst? Narrative (plot, storyline, characters), progression (quests, hero development) and combat.

If you're interested in playing a game where the story and the characters exist just because they need to and all you want is to wander, to explore stunning environments, to experience roaming in a fantasy world and kill foes just for the sake of it, then this game is for you.

If you're interested in playing a game with intriguing storylines with carefully woven plots, memorable and diverse characters, well-written dialogues (there is a certain dragon that is the exception to this), meaningful hero development and choices, imaginative and interesting quests, diverse and difficult combat, then this game is not what you seek.
  80. Aug 25, 2015
    Yeah maybe the game is huge but what else...not much. Boring, really. One can play through a game like Oblivion only so many times. Skyrim is very similar, only the story is even worse. As a gamer I expect the devs to treat me with respect that dictates them trying a bit harder than just adjusting and changing 10% of the recent game and release it as new title. I expect new story, I expectYeah maybe the game is huge but what else...not much. Boring, really. One can play through a game like Oblivion only so many times. Skyrim is very similar, only the story is even worse. As a gamer I expect the devs to treat me with respect that dictates them trying a bit harder than just adjusting and changing 10% of the recent game and release it as new title. I expect new story, I expect to be immersed, I expect great, interesting quests and characters. Nothing besides the music is above average in Skyrim plus I had to deal with the horrid console interface. What a joke.
    You can mod this game to hell and back and then it gains some color but vanilla Skyrim is a pale experience. Rating it based on mods would be giving credit to Bethesda instead where it is really due - the mod community. I feel that Skyrim brought me mediocre entertainment and in that term it is no better than Risen 2, yet it presents slighly higher production values, for example music and larger world.

Story
    I hoped it would be something different, a lot better than Oblivion but I was dissapointed. The same jailed cutscene I can understand, that is TES franchise trademark so to say. But everything other besides that featured in the game. The Dovakhiin hero role playing is a lot worse than any TES earlier games. I literally had to force myself to sit through this and I consider the time lost forever.

Graphics/Gameplay
    Dated on premiere day. Same console bull_____. Bad user interface ensures a pc player has trouble with smooth, fast action gameplay. The inventory is all over the place. Really a pain.
    Gaining skills and abilities has been changed for far far worse than in TES : Oblivion. It makes developing the character a chore and a needless, uninteresting grindfest. Few quests are good, hundreds do not deserve to take any self-respecting gamers` time.
    Actor models are horrific, bland robots. They did nothing to even help me submerge in the game`s world. They act in an incredibly scripted way, they are pathetic in showing any emotions at all, even the actor conversations are terrible.
    Maps/locations are huge and pretty, I give it that. But I haven`t come into anything remotely different than with any other rpg title. The same caves, same jail buildings, same castles, same tunnels I went through countless times before. The only thing that caught my attention are the open grounds like say waterfalls and some awesome sightseeing spots in the mountains.
    In the above locations are the same enemy types, all uncreative. I never came to meet an enemy I wouldn`t be able to characterise (strenght/health/magic etc.) at the plain first sight. Same ole spiders/zombies/thieves/monks/trolls/lions etc. What a waste of development time.

Music
    Beautiful music, easily the strongest feature of Skyrim. Goes well with all character scenes. I caught myself exploring only due to the orchestra of different quite epic tunes.
  81. Dec 19, 2011
    Giving this game a 0 to offset all the 10/10 reviews because it is way overhyped. Its a decent and average game. I quickly started to find this game dull. The combat is really lacking. No dodge, no parry, no positional attacks, etc. Its boring and dull. The map is large but for me it felt I would run for ages only coming across the occasional enemy to fight. There may be hours and hours ofGiving this game a 0 to offset all the 10/10 reviews because it is way overhyped. Its a decent and average game. I quickly started to find this game dull. The combat is really lacking. No dodge, no parry, no positional attacks, etc. Its boring and dull. The map is large but for me it felt I would run for ages only coming across the occasional enemy to fight. There may be hours and hours of quests but majority of them are outright boring and remind me of the quests from a grindfest MMO. On the positive the game has a nice amount of freedom and is open world environment. But for me personally it is all rather pointless and uninteresting. Also there a number of noticeable bugs with this game. And I have had the occasional crash to desktop. Expand
  82. Jan 1, 2013
    The best thing I can say about Skyrim is that it makes a decent action game; even then there's much better to be had. Simply put, Skyrim pulls the "RPG" out of "action/RPG." RPGs are defined by the role-playing aspect that gives the genre its name. In a rather startling disconnect from previous Elder Scrolls installments and the Fallout series, very little about Skyrim actuallyThe best thing I can say about Skyrim is that it makes a decent action game; even then there's much better to be had. Simply put, Skyrim pulls the "RPG" out of "action/RPG." RPGs are defined by the role-playing aspect that gives the genre its name. In a rather startling disconnect from previous Elder Scrolls installments and the Fallout series, very little about Skyrim actually fosters a sense of immersion and attachment. Sure, you play the role of a hero or thief or whatever you decide Character creation, and its importance to most RPGs that feature this mechanic, is essentially written off as a minor hurdle in the beginning of the game; nothing about the process informs hardly anything save some inconsequential lines of dialogue. A given race has some minor initial bonuses in certain skills, but nothing a half hour of playing doesn't disrupt. Classes and specializations are nonexistent and skills are threadbare in an effort to make the game more "accessible" but instead serves to simplify the game to an insulting extent. You can roleplay as a given "class" only by choosing not to use other skills available and adhering to a certain gameplay style; ironic that a so-called RPG forces this to be the case. Combat is a bore; it basically revolves entirely around jumping to avoid attacks (or sometimes blocking, y'know, just to raise the skill to level up quicker) and pressing the attack button. Virtually no restrictions are in place in terms of gameplay: you can spend 30 hours playing as a warrior wielding greatswords then immediately begin your new life as a thief or mage with a little grinding (or if you're feeling lazy, exploitation of the level up system). This may appeal to some but those who enjoy depth of experience rather than breadth of content will probably be disappointed. This emphasis on amount of content over quality of experience spills over into the core game as well. The main quest is always there (without any sense of urgency behind it, by the way) but most of your time will likely be spent slogging through inconsequential fetch quests and contract killings that you can pick up barely interacting with anything, or by following the slightly more interesting yet still lackluster guild questlines. These are where the majority of the game's depth comes in, however little it is. Two days out of jail you can be the master of every faction and have singlehandedly won the war that ravaged the land. Two more aspects of RPGs Skryrim mostly abandoned, character and story development, are also one of its greatest offenses. I can count on one hand how many characters actually had a semblance of depth to them. Companion characters--more accurately called followers--do just that and not much else besides attack what you attack and haul your inventory. The importance of dialogue is negligible; you can learn everything about your active quest in the journal screen without having to hear the same recycled voice actors tell you. No choices with any narrative weight exist; the only choices I even noticed are ones that actually deprive you of achievements if you pick the wrong action (without the game even hinting to you of the consequence) and force you to reload a save or even replay the game to obtain them. Any fun there is to be had seems to be on the PC version if you install some cool mods, and even those can't fix what's already broken. With such a large world and so much to do in it, Skyrim tricks you into thinking it has scale where it counts, when in fact, it is nothing more than an expanse of content with the depth of a wheelchair ramp. I wasn't immersed; I wasn't entertained; but, as a fan of the RPG, I certainly did feel more than a little cheated. Expand
  83. Nov 11, 2011
    Played the game for four hours, release night and I was blown away. The graphics of Skyrim are beautiful and Vibrant, well not the best looking PC game it could have been Bethesda did a great job none the less. The story is looking interesting and the world is just huge with so much to do. During my play through I've only experience one CTD in four hours making this the most stablePlayed the game for four hours, release night and I was blown away. The graphics of Skyrim are beautiful and Vibrant, well not the best looking PC game it could have been Bethesda did a great job none the less. The story is looking interesting and the world is just huge with so much to do. During my play through I've only experience one CTD in four hours making this the most stable Bethesda game release I've played. Despite how amazing of an RPG I think Skyrim is it still has its share of problems. It's no secret that for the first time Bethesda has made an Elder Scrolls game with console as its main focus of the games development. Put simply the've might have "simplified" Skyrim a little to much. The interface has been dumb down to a very simple items menu that lacks any RPG feel and sorting options. Bethesda has chosen to ignore the number keys and can't switch weapons/spells on the go instead having to pause the game and go into the menu breaking the immersion. Well not game breaking changes these are still annoyances that bother me and unfortunately I'm sure to find more of these. Expand
  84. Jul 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *Review Deleted
    ****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
  85. Feb 19, 2012
    Everything that is wrong with fantasy and sandbox mmos-- no plot, bad voice acting, no character development. Bad combat, clunky and nearly impossible UI for PC. Biggest waste of $60. Don't listen to the hype, that was my mistake. I even tried playing it again recently to see if I had maybe misjudged it. Still boring and unrelateable.
  86. Nov 11, 2011
    I started to play videogames 27 years ago. The RPG was my favourite type of games... In 1997 my life was chenged when i played The legend of Zelda - Ocarina of time. 11 / 11 / 11 today is another most important day in my life. I playing in the BEST video game on history. SKYRIM, is awesome. 100% recomended. If you have Windows updated, and "normal" graphics card with updated drivers...I started to play videogames 27 years ago. The RPG was my favourite type of games... In 1997 my life was chenged when i played The legend of Zelda - Ocarina of time. 11 / 11 / 11 today is another most important day in my life. I playing in the BEST video game on history. SKYRIM, is awesome. 100% recomended. If you have Windows updated, and "normal" graphics card with updated drivers... don't read bad opinions, this game is on of the best game in the history.... [10/10] Expand
  87. Dec 16, 2011
    REASON FOR SCORE- 0 as this is just another bethesda game, nothing special, no extra effort and its metacritic score is waaaay too high. To rub salt in the wound this is a PC port. Wonder what I mean? You will know if you buy.
    GAMEPLAY- Oblivion. Enough said. GRAPHICS- think crysis 2/battlefield 3. Graphics that look like they could be sharp but were limited to consol standard, however if your gpu is below or at 9800gt this will look nice and run well.
    LEVEL DESIGN- Stunning, but I would trade half those unwalkable slopes for gameplay.
    AI- there is AD as in artificial dumbness but no, there is no ai. UI- worst I have ever seen in an pc game, leaves you wishing you had a pad..
    ATMOSPHERE-epic, the best, but the ui breaks it up awfully. LEVELING- Cant conclude on this but it just doesnt engage me, as in oblivion you arent specialising, you arent engaging the enemy, you just toss about pausing, running back and forth, wondering if you have hit anything, the world cant be faulted though. QUESTING-One quest in and it was cool.
  88. Feb 19, 2012
    I fully understand that Im going to cop a lot of flak for this one, but I fully intend to review this game as I experienced. The game starts off rather well, but soon loses momentum as the game leaves the player to choose their own adventure. Perhaps, what I thought was the most enjoyable aspect of the game, was exploring the huge world the Bethesda has created, yet this would likelyI fully understand that Im going to cop a lot of flak for this one, but I fully intend to review this game as I experienced. The game starts off rather well, but soon loses momentum as the game leaves the player to choose their own adventure. Perhaps, what I thought was the most enjoyable aspect of the game, was exploring the huge world the Bethesda has created, yet this would likely appeal to very few people. Combat is simple, yet at times a bit clumsy, and graphics, on the whole, I found to be rather underwhelming. By no means has Bethesda mishandled a good concept though perhaps I wish that they had done a little bit more with it. If youâ Expand
  89. Dec 29, 2011
    Horrible and disapointing game. Skyrim is everything Elder Scrolls fans did not want. Its smaller,stripped,mainstreamed,buggy and ugly game. If this is the new direction of Elder Scrolls then this serie is dead for me. It certainly won my FOTY(Fail of the year) award this year.
  90. Nov 11, 2011
    This game truly is amazing it deserves game of the year. There are flaws just as in any game but its no reason to give it a score of 0, because your a troll. I can't wait to see what modders are able to do with the new engine, then it will be the best game ever.
  91. Nov 11, 2011
    Like every TES game, Skyrim comes back again, takes a good look at it's predesessor, and vastly improves upon it. Everything is pretty, combat mechanics are MUCH better than Oblivion, and the 70+ voice actors compared to Oblivion's 12 is astounding. I couldn't have asked for more from Bethesda.
  92. Nov 11, 2011
    Stop busting their balls about the graphics! The game has low texture quality but everything else is awesome. Even though my game crashed twice now...its still crazy good. The graphics are only bad wehen you walk really close to the object, and because its optimized fights can range from you and one enemy, to you, 10 companions, and 20 enemies! Hell even higher but i havent seen it yet.Stop busting their balls about the graphics! The game has low texture quality but everything else is awesome. Even though my game crashed twice now...its still crazy good. The graphics are only bad wehen you walk really close to the object, and because its optimized fights can range from you and one enemy, to you, 10 companions, and 20 enemies! Hell even higher but i havent seen it yet. All in all the game is an instant classic and to not buy it or say it sucks cuz the graphics arent the greatest its just wrong. The content is slowly fed to you. There is alot there, you just wont see it all at once. Every hour i find something new and unique. But the story is kind of boring. Overall it has GOTY written all over it! Expand
  93. Nov 11, 2011
    While the interface suffers some console dumbing down, this game easily jockeys itself to "Game of the Year" status. I hear some people complaining the graphics aren't as stellar as Witcher 2, but to me the scope of the game far outweighs said criticism. I look forward to all the mods that will be available on the PC version in the future. Kudos Bethesda on a worth successor in theWhile the interface suffers some console dumbing down, this game easily jockeys itself to "Game of the Year" status. I hear some people complaining the graphics aren't as stellar as Witcher 2, but to me the scope of the game far outweighs said criticism. I look forward to all the mods that will be available on the PC version in the future. Kudos Bethesda on a worth successor in the Elder Scrolls franchise. Expand
  94. Nov 12, 2011
    What can i say... This is the best Rpg game i have ever played and probably the Best in Gaming history.

Buy it, you wont regret it, and if you do, your not sane.
  95. Dec 17, 2011
    Ok, after 110 hours I am prepared to change my review from an 8 to a 10. I gave it an 8 originally because (1) I was cheesed off that Bethesda still largely blew off the PC community with its interface design and limit for 2GB for memory (2) and also there were a number of things that really should have been better since Oblivion, and some were and others not so much. All that said, lookOk, after 110 hours I am prepared to change my review from an 8 to a 10. I gave it an 8 originally because (1) I was cheesed off that Bethesda still largely blew off the PC community with its interface design and limit for 2GB for memory (2) and also there were a number of things that really should have been better since Oblivion, and some were and others not so much. All that said, look - Bethy makes its games totally open source and supports PC people mucking around, so of course, the modding community fixed everything, Bethy is trying harder to make good in some ways for PC users after the fact, and finally - look, I spent 110 hours in the game, and it's not perfect but it STILL SURPRISES me, which I thought impossible. It could always be better and it should be slightly better, but maybe there is no way to make a game this big, that responsive to so many diff players. I mean, I've only finished 20% of the game, so what's that going to be? 1,000 hours? and 3 years from now, I will play it as a diff character with 100 mods. If that's not a 10 what is? Thanks Bethy. Expand
  96. Nov 13, 2011
    To all the negative critics: THIS IS WHAT AN ACTUAL RPG SHOULD BE! I find it saddening that people are crying about idiot things such as "I can't kill everyone" or "I get no hollywood story with choices", because they seem to rate a brilliant game as it should be some sort of FPS or dating-sim. Skyrim is RPGs at it's best, amazing, well detailed world, truly free gameplay, and mind-blowingTo all the negative critics: THIS IS WHAT AN ACTUAL RPG SHOULD BE! I find it saddening that people are crying about idiot things such as "I can't kill everyone" or "I get no hollywood story with choices", because they seem to rate a brilliant game as it should be some sort of FPS or dating-sim. Skyrim is RPGs at it's best, amazing, well detailed world, truly free gameplay, and mind-blowing atmosphere. Will likely spend hundreds of hours with it. Good job Bethesda! Expand
  97. Nov 14, 2011
    Pure awesomeness. Wish the dragons put up more of a fight though. The graphics are a big improvement over Oblivion, and the game is running crash free on my Intel/AMD PC.
  98. Jun 1, 2015
    Unfortunately it's poorly done, with an ancient engine and FULL of over 2000 bugs. It could have been potentially a masterpiece. No, no mods can fix some broken engine mechanics and bugs.
  99. Mar 7, 2012
    I am completely disappointed in this game (more than 200 hours played, lots of quest and other things done, seen, and tested). Its showing how gaming looks nowadays. Everything needs to be noobed. Consoles are taking over everything. The Elder Scrolls was PC series, but Skyrim is not PC anymore, its some damn console arcade crap port. Its has good graphic, and what else..? Why do peopleI am completely disappointed in this game (more than 200 hours played, lots of quest and other things done, seen, and tested). Its showing how gaming looks nowadays. Everything needs to be noobed. Consoles are taking over everything. The Elder Scrolls was PC series, but Skyrim is not PC anymore, its some damn console arcade crap port. Its has good graphic, and what else..? Why do people praise this game as masterpiece? Its a disaster! After fair Oblivion, I have been expecting more of a Morrowind game from another TES Titule. They got rid so many things from this game that 5000 character limit is not enough to write about all of them. The worst thing in Skyrim is that its console game, wich was released on PC just to get more money out of it. I cant stand the damn interface, fcking scrolling up/down/left/right, the one in Oblivion was perfect! Its just so simple now, there are no details, just like the game itself. Its empty. In oblivion for example, we could view everything in player menu - Guilds, factions, ranks, everything was there. What do we have in Skyrim? There is nothing. You join a guild, and thats all. You cant check your status in it, your rank, nothing. They made this game some action adventure now. With "instant" health and magicka regen + retarded perk selection. I hope that Bethesda will get nuked for releasing such thing. TES is dead. Im a PC player, and I demand PC game. Mouse + keyboard, I dont give a fck about consoles. There should be few type of this game. One for PC built especially for it, and others for consoles. Everyone would be happy. Dont tell me there are mods to change things, I know it, but if I buy a product I expect it to be the way I expect it to be. Expand
  100. May 29, 2012
    Storytelling and quests in this game are insult to intelligence! I don' understand how people can not see this? Only thing that is big in this game is map!

1. Feb 29, 2012
  2. Feb 14, 2012
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012