8.0

1. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is one of the best games ever made. And deserves nothing lower than a 10 out of 10. Everything about it is just great. That's about it. Dawgs.
  2. Dec 7, 2011
    I think Skyrim is terrible in all honesty. The main quest is just filler material. All you do is slowly traverse from A to B, only to be told that you need to walk to C. When walking, 90% of the time there is nothing to do, and nothing to fight.

When you finally do get to fight, there is absolutely no depth to the combat system whatsoever. If you have a melee character, the only logical thing to do is use your strongest attack until you run out of stamina. The only reason you would ever use your weak attack is because you don't have enough stamina to use your strong attack. Would you rather give the enemy a nice little friendly love tap, or would you rather try to kill them? Playing as any kind of mage is equally as repetitive and bland. You just do the same thing over and over again on every single enemy. Switching from fire and ice to attack fire / ice enemies appropriately is not depth. The difference between shooting red and blue from your hand is superficial. You're still just doing the same old boring thing over and over again. Sure, you can be an archer, or some other type of mage, but you're still just doing the same thing over and over no matter how you look at it.

The enemy variety is mostly humanoid based opponents, such as draugrs, skeletons, and bandits. Yeah, there are things like Dwarven spiders, where - They really change it up on this one, get ready! - You have to LOOK DOWN to attack them! So deep, right?! Wrong. Yeah there are more enemies than this obviously, but regardless, you generally fight them in the same ways no matter what.

The perks are mostly passive, for example, "add 20% attack power". That's not fun. A good example of a perk would be something that adds a whole new gameplay mechanic, like the "silent roll", and "hawk eye" (where you can zoom in with your bow). I'm not citing them as perfect perks necessarily, and sure, there can be a FEW passive ones, I'm just saying these perks were some of the only ones to have the general right idea of what a good perk should do.

The areas are aesthetically appealing to some. I'm not saying the game looks bad or anything, but just that that's not what impresses me. There are only about 3 different area types in this game, the dwarven areas, caves, and crypts. There may be more that I can't think of at this moment, but once you've seen all the dungeon formats, you've seen every dungeon in the game. Everything after that will just be that same old thing rehashed once again.

So to sum it up, there is no variety with character customization, the areas have no variety, the enemies have no variety, and this game honestly has what I would consider one of the most superficial combat systems to ever exist in a game. Top this off with countless glitches, terrible patches, a lot of grinding, and pointless difficulty levels that only make the game superficially harder (giving an enemy more HP doesn't mean it's harder).

I'm not saying the game is total garbage, but the scores that this game is getting in spite of all of these problems is just absolutely ridiculous. I don't see how so many people are claiming that this is the game of the year.
  3. Dec 18, 2014
    Skyrim acts like nothing's special. All games account for every possibility, aside from glitches, but they at least acknowledge you for doing something extraordinary, going the extra mile, discovering a secret. No matter what you do in Skyrim, it just gives you a blank stare. Greatness is no different from common-ness. There's an ego buried beneath the surface here. Skyrim wants youSkyrim acts like nothing's special. All games account for every possibility, aside from glitches, but they at least acknowledge you for doing something extraordinary, going the extra mile, discovering a secret. No matter what you do in Skyrim, it just gives you a blank stare. Greatness is no different from common-ness. There's an ego buried beneath the surface here. Skyrim wants you to think it's so wonderful and above you that "Yes, of course almighty Skyrim doesn't acknowledge my accomplishments. Just take my money and I'll be quiet." This goes against the basic tenants of entertainment. You're supposed to give something to your audience, make them feel special. Skyrim is selfish and self-absorbed Expand
  4. Nov 11, 2011
    i apologize but i will keep this short very short

BUY THE GAME... period it is not as beautiful as witcher 2 but hell is it HUGEEEEE and the world immersion is parallel to no no game out there now
  5. Nov 11, 2011
    It is the greatest Elder Scrolls yet. My only complaint is the controls and I got used to them after an hour. Other then that, the story is compelling and the world really draws you in.
  6. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is the best of 2k11, before i played it, i thought its gonna be hard for skyrim to top morrowind and oblivion, but i have to say that (even if the graphics are only slightly better than in oblivion and there are still some bugs etc....) its the best TES i've ever played!
  7. Nov 13, 2011
    Hands down the best game in years. There are just a handful of game companies that consistently go WAY beyond what is expected when creating games, and Bethesda is one of them.

As is typical of massive games like this upon release, ES V has crashed on me twice in a couple of days, but I'm sure patches will remedy this. It feels far more stable than Oblivion or FO3 upon release. The

The leveling system is much improved from Oblivion in my opinion. Why they didn't go completely FO3 with the leveling in Skyrim, they did correct the fundamental issues with Oblivion's system. And they are perks galore! And you get to choose one each level.

I haven't advanced far in the main quest yet (I tend to get easily distracted by side quests, of which there seem to be no end!), but the story already has the makings of another Bethesda epic.
  8. Nov 8, 2014
    My problem with basically every game that tries to be real general and open, is that the impact of your choices decreases proportional to the amount of choices. Skyrim: millions of choices, no ability to fundamentally impact the world. It's a small step away from flying around a landscape in a 3D modelling program. Yes, I can increase my smithing to 100, but for what? So I can 'make' aMy problem with basically every game that tries to be real general and open, is that the impact of your choices decreases proportional to the amount of choices. Skyrim: millions of choices, no ability to fundamentally impact the world. It's a small step away from flying around a landscape in a 3D modelling program. Yes, I can increase my smithing to 100, but for what? So I can 'make' a 3D model that someone else made and have slightly better stats so I can delete some other 3D models from the map, and these 3D models don't even impact the virtual world, and I didn't even need the increased stats to kill them. There has to be either a decided goal for a game, or some fundamental human thing at its core, like love or friendship or dreams

I don't need actual hard work in my fantasy. That's why fantasy exists, that's why I'm pretending and not actually doing it. I pretend so I can have all the good bits, and not have to deal with the bad bits. Skyrim seems to have the opposite philosophy. Work real hard, suffer all kinds of unpleasantness, for no reason whatsoever. All the bad bits and no good bits. We already have that, it's called Real Life.
  9. Nov 21, 2011
    I'll keep this quick, despite the pretty graphics (if u have the machine to max them out they aren't bad) and decent voice acting, I was quickly disappointed. The combat is terrible, quests are both sparse and boring, and very little to do that actually has any impact on anything of importance, I found this to be a quick waste of 60$. I can't for the life of me understand what all theI'll keep this quick, despite the pretty graphics (if u have the machine to max them out they aren't bad) and decent voice acting, I was quickly disappointed. The combat is terrible, quests are both sparse and boring, and very little to do that actually has any impact on anything of importance, I found this to be a quick waste of 60$. I can't for the life of me understand what all the hype was about. Expand
  10. Nov 11, 2011
    Amazing game. It is a console port right outta the box, but a great port at that. I played for 5 hous last night without even knowing it, and every second of the game was absolutely glorious.
  11. Nov 12, 2011
    It feels like, sounds like and looks like little pimped oblivion mixed with morrowind. Graphics are not that good as i excepted. If i compare them to withcher 2 the result is miserable
  12. Dec 26, 2011
    Its still not working and no reply from the game producers. It is **** crap. This is going to the social networks now.
    And you can remove this as many times as you like. Yours is NOT the only plaform.
  13. Nov 11, 2011
    Two very simple reasons you must get this game:
    1.Developed by Bethesda Game Studios. 2.Epic release date(11/11/11).
  14. Dec 20, 2011
    Bethesda today released LAA (Large Address Aware, 4gb support) support for the PC version, which at least makes the game playable without using a 3rd party program. Since that is finally true (nearly 6 weeks after launch) this will be my final review. The score is a 4, a low meh. That score is based on vanilla Skyrim, no mods with the software as the developers intended it. I can onlyBethesda today released LAA (Large Address Aware, 4gb support) support for the PC version, which at least makes the game playable without using a 3rd party program. Since that is finally true (nearly 6 weeks after launch) this will be my final review. The score is a 4, a low meh. That score is based on vanilla Skyrim, no mods with the software as the developers intended it. I can only assume this is how they intended it being so far after launch, 3 patches later and this is what it is. The game is still plagued by compatibility issues. Some systems and hardware simply can not use the game settings to run correctly. In my case Anti Aliasing (AA) and Anisotropic Filtering (AF) is broken. Using these settings in the game simply does not work, causes major FPS loss and texture problems. Forcing these setting (on max) externally through my video card the game runs well. The menus and keybinding issues that have been widely spoken about persist and Bethesda has done nothing at all about them. Shadows, regardless of setting (low to ultra) are blocky, twitchy, badly behaved abominations all over the game world. There are hundreds of quest bugs and other minor issues that remain untouched as well. Perhaps most troubling is some of the things that DID make it into previous patch notes, supposedly being fixed, were NOT fix and still persist in game. All of these things bring my score for this game down and that score is solely because Bethesda did not take the time to polish their game. Now, all that being said....Skyrim is one of the best games of all time. Just not by default. If you (and I encourage you to do so) visit one of the modding sites (nexus) and see what the fan base of this game is doing, not only to fix Bethesda's laziness but also their broken programming your jaw will constantly drop as the hours tick away in the wonderful world that is Skyrim. There are mods to make the game run better, mods to make the textures in the world look better, mods to fix the broken inventories and terrible UI in the game. There are mods to make your character look different and mods that bring Skyrim to life. The modding community for this game is EXTREMELY active (all current mods have been made even without the help of an SDK) and helpful. Bethesda built the foundation and for releasing a flawed game get a low score. The modders finished Skyrim, polished it and made it one of, if not THE, best games of all time. Expand
  15. Nov 11, 2011
    Great game, combat is much better than before, especially the magic system is a ton better compared to the earlier Elder Scrolls. Sounds are good so far and graphics are pretty good too. There are some minor bugs and small annoying things in the game, but nothing that cannot be fixed. I definitely recommend this game.
  16. Nov 15, 2011
    I have a modern day gaming machine and this game runs like crap, i can max out games like BF3 without any problems yet this game even on low my fps drops below 30. The visuals are ugly, even on max they look like someone smeared crap all over the objects. Skyrim is a unoptimized cheap console port, do no buy it.
  17. Nov 17, 2011
    Graphics are even worse than Oblivion , the menu and navigating is a pain. Cannot see the characther,cannot see the equipped item on the char, cannot see the body in 1st person view.. Very laggy performance on a high end machine (HD6970,8GBRams and i7 Processor). Animations are crap, too much graphic bugs.. I cant count the problems... This is really really horrible after Oblivion....
  18. Nov 11, 2011
    First of all let me say the game isn't perfect. While the graphics are a massive step up from Oblivion, don't be expecting Crysis 2 standard. Still - the game looks beautiful and has lots of detail. The gameplay is what the ES series is all about, and it is fantastic. I don't need to go into detail here, but bethesda have learnt from their mistakes in TES3/4 and this iteration of theFirst of all let me say the game isn't perfect. While the graphics are a massive step up from Oblivion, don't be expecting Crysis 2 standard. Still - the game looks beautiful and has lots of detail. The gameplay is what the ES series is all about, and it is fantastic. I don't need to go into detail here, but bethesda have learnt from their mistakes in TES3/4 and this iteration of the series is brilliant. The one thing I am slightly annoyed about is the menus for the PC, but in all honesty, will just take a bit of getting used to. Expand
  19. Nov 20, 2011
    This was a shock! Graphics are bad, controls are bad, bugs are bad and the overall atmosphere is bad. Bethesda has lost it. Morrowind was their swan song and everything they have spilled out since then, is more or less crap.

Buy Dark Souls for one the consoles or wait 3 years for some decent mods. I don't have the time to wait so I play Dark Souls and I' am so loving it.
  20. Jan 15, 2012
    How can you release a PC game with broken binds!? It's bad enough that I'm forced to bind spells and weapons to number keys only, but then these vanish into thin air a few minutes later! What a thoughtless console port. The mouse lag in menus is also unforgiveable. Numerous online solutions have failed to correct these problems. I have spent more time trying to make this pos game playableHow can you release a PC game with broken binds!? It's bad enough that I'm forced to bind spells and weapons to number keys only, but then these vanish into thin air a few minutes later! What a thoughtless console port. The mouse lag in menus is also unforgiveable. Numerous online solutions have failed to correct these problems. I have spent more time trying to make this pos game playable than actually playing the game. Do yourself a favor and either buy the console version or play somethign else. Expand
  21. Nov 11, 2011
    great game and i thought it wouldn't work so good on my laptop because Whitcer 2 didnt work so great, but Skyrim works great even on ultra, and takes little space too compared to many games and im very happy i didnt have to buy new computer just to play it. and the graphics are very good, maybe better in some games but so what?? it works great and i havent gotten into any bugs yet, but igreat game and i thought it wouldn't work so good on my laptop because Whitcer 2 didnt work so great, but Skyrim works great even on ultra, and takes little space too compared to many games and im very happy i didnt have to buy new computer just to play it. and the graphics are very good, maybe better in some games but so what?? it works great and i havent gotten into any bugs yet, but i have to say i would have liked it to be better set up for mouse and keyboard but i have xbox 360 gamepad for pc, but still i wanna play it with mouse and keyboard. it just seems to me that the players who are giving it low have crappy computers or are just trying to be cool by saying its a bad game, its probably the best game i have ever played. Expand
  22. Nov 11, 2011
    I had very high expectations for this game and I am in no way disappointed. Frankly, I am surprised by the bad reviews but not because I believe that everyone likes the same thing. The bad reviews taken in toto reveal a "even though you gave me a world, I still want more" mentality. I am further mystified by the comments that this game is somehow not worthy of a PC gamer's attentionI had very high expectations for this game and I am in no way disappointed. Frankly, I am surprised by the bad reviews but not because I believe that everyone likes the same thing. The bad reviews taken in toto reveal a "even though you gave me a world, I still want more" mentality. I am further mystified by the comments that this game is somehow not worthy of a PC gamer's attention because it is a port. What difference does that make? Let me tell you a secret kiddies: ports have been around for ages and there was a time not so long ago when a game was judged based upon its immersion factor. Certainly comparisons CAN be made but the whining about the game being optimized for 360 controllers and pretty much left in a state of chaos for the PC are simply unfounded. The game positively exudes atmosphere and the world literally seduces you into that rarefied state of "just one more hour" for hours on end. Perhaps it doesn't have the graphics of a Hollywood blockbuster but again children, it is a GAME. The graphics however ARE splendid and I sense a significant improvement over Oblivion and a drastic improvement over Morrowind. Gone are the emaciated High Elves of Morrowind, and banished are the "human" races of Oblivion whose faces told a tale of people who needed a go on a treadmill. But even with the less than stellar models of Morrowind and Oblivion, those games were eminently playable, and absolutely immersive. Skyrim represents a very obvious maturation of the Elder Scrolls series. I would directly respond to those who complain about the graphics to try an experiment: read a book. You would be surprised at the graphics you get from black ink on wood pulp. If you REALLY need realism such that not even a pixel should be made manifest then go outdoors for Heaven's sake! Imagination is the key to great games and you have the freedom to make this game become whatever experience you desire it to be.

I applaud companies like Bethesda and CD-Projekt because they do NOT take the easy way out and create MMORPGs. It takes considerably more effort to create a single player game in which the characters become believable. I would wager that many of the whiners here are WoW junkies. As such, you limit yourself because with WoW you are at the mercy of what Blizzard decides to make you pay for and you had better get in at the right time because skill means nothing in WoW; it means EVERYTHING in games like Skyrim and The Witcher.

I am running this game on a dual core 2.92 GHz with a GeForce 9800 GTX; my rig is not exactly top spec anymore. That said, the game runs beautifully on high settings and looks beautiful even at medium. Yes there ARE glitches but in a game of this magnitude such things are to be expected. The voice acting will not win any Academy Awards but I do not expect that of any game; movies are made for that.

Lastly, I read one negative review here which stated that the person hated Skyrim and Bethesda so much that from now on the person was going to torrent everything Bethesda makes. I am supposing that the person who wrote this was frustrated because his torrent of MW3 was taking too long. Simply put, the reviewer who feels that engaging in immoral and illegal acts is justifiable because he/she dislikes a game should be banned: free speech does not include mentions of illegal activity. You ARE a criminal and it is people like you that make honest gamers pay a fortune. I apologize for the rant folks. Skyrim is a simply phenomenal game and we PC gamers are especially fortunate because this magnificent world of Skyrim shall grow beyond imagining and I am excited to see what is around the next corner.
  23. Nov 12, 2011
    In one word Brilliant! If you like stealth/ combat/ magic/ crating and selling stuff/ quests this is your game. Sure the ui is horrible for the pc and there are still glitches but the sheer scale of the game outweighs these issues. Honestly this game should not be reviewed by anyone who has played the game for less than 10 hours because the sheer scope of Skyrim is one of it's many many pluses.
  24. Nov 12, 2011
    It could be the best game of all time. I need to finish it first and I'm sure that is going to take a LONG time. But it takes all of the great changes from Fallout 3 and updates them to make a master piece for the Elder Scroll Series. The story seems to work better that all the previous Elder games.

It is a shame there are so many great games coming out at the same time, but this one will be played more than the rest.

For those of you that like Bethesda RPG's, this is the best one of them all. Get it.
  25. Nov 12, 2011
    As usual, there're many polarised reviews here. This game deserves neither a 10 nor a 0. The game is definitely an improvement on Oblivion ("game of the year" nonsense notwithstanding, many people found it dull or unplayable), and things such as dual weilding and lack of classes are very welcome. The environments and music are wonderful and models are fantastic, too. The major thing for meAs usual, there're many polarised reviews here. This game deserves neither a 10 nor a 0. The game is definitely an improvement on Oblivion ("game of the year" nonsense notwithstanding, many people found it dull or unplayable), and things such as dual weilding and lack of classes are very welcome. The environments and music are wonderful and models are fantastic, too. The major thing for me is that combat feels much better, and that makes a huge difference!

However: this is still elder scrolls, and let's be honest here, these games are all more or less the same. There is just more emphasis on breadth than depth, and so the game won't be for everybody. Flaws? The interface leaves a *lot* to be desired, voice acting is a mixed bag as usual, graphics technology is dated (despite being pulled off well anyway), AI is awful. Ultimately, a well-refined albeit unoriginal game with a lot to enjoy, as well as some flaws. It's certainly worth a try, I think most people will genuinely enjoy this - if you don't, that's OK too, just don't give it so much hate which it doesn't deserve.
  26. Nov 12, 2011
    I'm 17 hours into Skyrim, and more than anything, there is only one problem I have with it. The more I play, the better it gets, and the better it gets, the more I play. If you have any respect for Video Games, or Fantasy in general, you need to play this game. It's unquestionably the best game I have ever played - so much depth, an impressive world, that feels very much alive, and someI'm 17 hours into Skyrim, and more than anything, there is only one problem I have with it. The more I play, the better it gets, and the better it gets, the more I play. If you have any respect for Video Games, or Fantasy in general, you need to play this game. It's unquestionably the best game I have ever played - so much depth, an impressive world, that feels very much alive, and some of the best combat in a first person RPG to date. Just Play it. Sure, the PC port isn't the greatest, and the User Interface takes some getting used too, but these are minor issues when you look at how much Skyrim has to offer. Expand
  27. Nov 12, 2011
    there are no words to describe this game epicness. they fixed everything that was wrong with oblivion and added some new things, the game has a couple of annoying bugs but they will be fixed soon I think. overall this game is damn damn damn fun to play
  28. Nov 13, 2011
    Skyrim whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I have given the game a review score of 10 for this and one other reason, the other reason being that I do not believe 8.5 (average user score at time of posting) to be an accurate representation of the quality present and the enjoyment that can be taken from game. As usual it seems there are people that insist on bombing a gamesSkyrim whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I have given the game a review score of 10 for this and one other reason, the other reason being that I do not believe 8.5 (average user score at time of posting) to be an accurate representation of the quality present and the enjoyment that can be taken from game. As usual it seems there are people that insist on bombing a games metacritic score with 1â Expand
  29. Nov 13, 2011
    It is a rare day when I give a game a perfect rating. However, Skyrim is incredible. The combat and dialogue may be spotty, but for such a wide world, most of it is seamless. I love it, it's so good. It's the best. I could give so many reasons why, but there is way too many. The randomness of everything is incredible. I've started a character twice and each play through is completelyIt is a rare day when I give a game a perfect rating. However, Skyrim is incredible. The combat and dialogue may be spotty, but for such a wide world, most of it is seamless. I love it, it's so good. It's the best. I could give so many reasons why, but there is way too many. The randomness of everything is incredible. I've started a character twice and each play through is completely different. I'm in love. Expand
  30. Nov 13, 2011
    I sat down to play Skyrim after a long wait following Oblivion, I played, I played, I played. I explored, I did side quests, I did some of the main quest, got distracted by shiny things in the distance and went off to do other things. I was utterly entranced. My housemate knocked on my bedroom door and asked me "What skills you gone for?" he had just finished installing it after gettingI sat down to play Skyrim after a long wait following Oblivion, I played, I played, I played. I explored, I did side quests, I did some of the main quest, got distracted by shiny things in the distance and went off to do other things. I was utterly entranced. My housemate knocked on my bedroom door and asked me "What skills you gone for?" he had just finished installing it after getting home from work, I, had the day off. He came in and looked at me, exclaiming only "It's 10pm dude..." I had been played since 7am, and had absolutely, no, idea. Expand
  31. Nov 14, 2011
    The best game I have ever yet played, nothing more to say.
  32. Nov 14, 2011
    It's a great game whitout mods (in fact my GOTY regarding BF3 and Deus EX). And surely better with future mods & official/non-official patchs. Few bugs appear but like all other games.
  33. Nov 14, 2011
    when game was only announced my only hope was that it will be on same level as obsidian's New Vegas (that was good enough game). But now I can honestly say, Skyrim is better. It even better than Morrowind an even Daggerfall (my previously best game in TES). Bethesda fixed most mistakes of their Oblivion and Fallout 3 and deliver us, in my opinion, best RPG at this moment. I don't wantwhen game was only announced my only hope was that it will be on same level as obsidian's New Vegas (that was good enough game). But now I can honestly say, Skyrim is better. It even better than Morrowind an even Daggerfall (my previously best game in TES). Bethesda fixed most mistakes of their Oblivion and Fallout 3 and deliver us, in my opinion, best RPG at this moment. I don't want describe all new features - new great dialogues, non-linear quests (that really on close level to witcher 2) all these aspects made on very high level, so you just need to play and enjoy. But there three main themes that people are afraid of: simplification of rpg system, graphic and one I called "It is the same oblivion". I don't understand people who blame skyrim about this. New RPG system is not simplified - it become more variate and more organically fits into gameplay. Yes there are less skills but I like it very much (in spite of me as big fan of most hardcore system as it was in Daggerall). Graphics... all who say that graphics is bad and same as in oblivion, first I advise play in Skyrim couple hours then asap play in Oblivion (without graphic mods) to compare. Second I advise to understand - it is ONE HUGE WORLD, where you can't just make fake stage where game strictly controls you - where you can see and where not (like COD, Uncharted and even Witcher and ME sometimes). BUT even with all this difficulties game looks great on consoles from 2006! Also if you play on good modern PC there are lots of additional graphic options like additional shadows, Ambient occlusion etc., that make picture even better. My main poit is - this isn't "same as Oblivion", it is BIG step forward in all aspects and best game in TES for me now. This game shows what other series like DA, ME of Witcher can't - big really living world Expand
  34. Nov 15, 2011
    Like Oblivion and Fallout 3, this brilliant game is already being patched, fixed and improved by the modding community at SkyrimNexus. Bug fixes, improved textures and graphics, and more can be found and are released on a regular basis. Don't miss out.
  35. Nov 15, 2011
    People hell-bent on giving Skyrim an extremely low score should consider how few major pc games are released these days, Back in the so called hayday of pc gaming we only dreamed of a game like Skyrim, And all games were a nightmare to run. Skyrim needs a few tweaks here and there but it still the best pc game I've played. I hope its not the last great pc RPG.We need to give credit where its due.
  36. Nov 16, 2011
    Simply the most amazing world created this game generation. It's alive, well detailed and filled with interesting lore and quests.

The only downsides are some graphical imperfections like low texture resolution on PC, and the interface which doesn't work perfectly with a mouse. I expect this to be patched. Even with those downsides, it's still a 10/10 because the world and extreme

Even with those downsides, it's still a 10/10 because the world and extreme amounts of content more than make up for the small downsides.
  37. Nov 16, 2011
    Such a brilliant game so much to explore. first played it weren't really into it but eventually you love it. The game lets you upgrade on so many things. you can travel to many destinations and constantly be impressed by the landscapes.

Do not waste your money on MW3 because it has failed this year in terms of innovation it is the same thing as MW2. Skyrim have put the effort into this game and I admire them for this.
  38. Nov 16, 2011
    Great game! Definitely deserves the spot for GOTY. I haven't even played the game yet, and it seems amazing. Not only the graphics but all the interaction around you, and how "doing this and doing that, can lead to this". You really get to live your own life in the game, you can make decisions and all that. For sure the greatest game from Bethesda so far. People will spend a long time onGreat game! Definitely deserves the spot for GOTY. I haven't even played the game yet, and it seems amazing. Not only the graphics but all the interaction around you, and how "doing this and doing that, can lead to this". You really get to live your own life in the game, you can make decisions and all that. For sure the greatest game from Bethesda so far. People will spend a long time on this one, especially on the PC with all the mods that expand the game! Expand
  39. Nov 17, 2011
    I hate to admit it. But this is the best game I have ever played in almost 30 years of gaming. I personally hated, and I do mean HATED Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I thought they were two of the most overrated games ever made. But this, oh man what an amazing game. It does have some flaws. Bad UI, a fair few bugs and some poor graphics. Fortunately those things can be fixed with mods. I amI hate to admit it. But this is the best game I have ever played in almost 30 years of gaming. I personally hated, and I do mean HATED Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I thought they were two of the most overrated games ever made. But this, oh man what an amazing game. It does have some flaws. Bad UI, a fair few bugs and some poor graphics. Fortunately those things can be fixed with mods. I am currently using about 8 or 9 and it makes the game beautiful as only a PC can. Wonderful game, any RPG nut needs to try it. Expand
  40. Nov 20, 2011
    GOTY? No - possibly game of the last ten years. I'm not inclined toward sandbox games - never found one I've really liked and I'm not inclined toward Bethesda, either; I was bewildered by Oblivion and found Fallout 3 painfully bad from a story, voice acting, and the game engine .

But Skyrim? It stands apart - and above - almost anything else I've played. First, there is the vastness of the game world: almost beyond comprehension, with hills and mountains and streams and caves littering the landscape. And where most games have one or two major cities, this game has at least eight. More than that, however, is the amazing degree of meticulous detail packed *into* this world. NPCs notice when you drop objects, what armor you're wearing, what magic you're wielding, and engage in intelligent conversation with other random NPCs. Explore at night and you will find a half-dozen varieties of bugs (some bigger than others!) and even more plants. Further, you really *live* in this world - craft potions, smith weapons, enchant them with spells - even cook your own food for more health. You can also meld combat styles very easily - for instance, I play a heavy armor one-handed warrior who also throws around magic. The one clear downside is the UI - quite unintuitive and poorly though out, console or no console - but one of the huge strengths of this game is the army of modders and the mod tools Bethesda is releasing so that it can all be fixed. Even now, there are some amazing mods that significantly improve the graphics.

Honestly, if you're a gamer of any stripe, not experiencing this game would be a tragedy.
  41. Nov 21, 2011
    I'm not finished with the game, but I can already see how its all going to end. This game deserves a 7/10. As others have said, reviewing websites and companies are no longer to be trusted. This game does not deserve a 9.5. As far as I am concerned, this game is Oblivion with better graphics, worse combat, and a worse storyline. Fallout 3 is the epitome of Bethesda's success. That gameI'm not finished with the game, but I can already see how its all going to end. This game deserves a 7/10. As others have said, reviewing websites and companies are no longer to be trusted. This game does not deserve a 9.5. As far as I am concerned, this game is Oblivion with better graphics, worse combat, and a worse storyline. Fallout 3 is the epitome of Bethesda's success. That game made every inch of the map interesting to explore and characters had life and were interesting. Expand
  42. Nov 30, 2011
    This game defines a genre and is without question, the best RPG gaming experience currently available to human kind.

Although I will deduct one point for a long list of bugs and the ongoing CTD errors :)
  43. Jan 21, 2012
    Before playing Skyrim you must accept the fact that Elder Scrolls games... or Bethesda RPG's in general have tendencies to be terribly glitchy and well un-organised. Skyrim, reasons you are so great: Great graphics/models/views/effects, great combat (decapitating people casually), great array of weapons armour and crafting, great bunch of characters, a good adventurer experience.
  44. Mar 1, 2012
    Awesome, fun, beautiful game. Modding community will keep it interesting and fun for a long time as well. Also has a lot of re-playability due to the shear size of the game and very different playstyles of melee vs magic characters, good vs evil characters, and all the different factions to join or kill. Love it.
  45. Sep 25, 2012
    Well, I've never been a PC RPG or an Elder Scrolls fan, so there's no way this gets a high score from me. What I don't get is how everyone heralds games like this as appealing to everyone. They certainly don't. They should be seen relative to other games in the same genre. As it stands though, everyone is insisting that the game is the game to end all games, so that's how it's going toWell, I've never been a PC RPG or an Elder Scrolls fan, so there's no way this gets a high score from me. What I don't get is how everyone heralds games like this as appealing to everyone. They certainly don't. They should be seen relative to other games in the same genre. As it stands though, everyone is insisting that the game is the game to end all games, so that's how it's going to be reviewed. I've played every ES game since Arena. Morrowind was my favorite, the rest aren't worth playing. Skyrim is not an amazing revolution. It's simply the next game for fans of the series. It's the same cavalcade of terrible acting, terrible dialogue, pointless quests, shallow combat, and vast open landscapes where nothing happens. The landscapes are hand made and nice to look at, but so what, that's not what makes a great game. Expand
  46. Jan 27, 2013
    Incredibly generic story and plot, decent at best graphics, decent at best game play. Terrible voice acting, terribly generic characters. Without a doubt the worst of the series.
  47. May 16, 2013
    The only redeeming factor about this product is the soundtrack and endless mods. Bethesda released a very broken and unfinished product w/ countless glitches, bugs and errors. Nearly everything about this game is bland and uninspiring.
  48. Dec 8, 2014
    This game is good but not awesome
    the good
    open world
    sense of adventure and discovering
    plot

the bad
    inventory
    repetitive dungeon, dragon, enemy, puzzle
    very very stupid ai
    abuse of potion in combat

The most annoying thig is how much repetitive are things in this game, it became boring too soon.
  49. Dec 28, 2014
    It's Christmas in Skyrim 2014. The game is over 3 years old and I am still playing it and having a great time. Why? Because of the mods and creation kit. Modded Skyrim is a completely different game - better graphics, more followers, bigger towns, enhanced player homes, more armour, more hairstyles and so many new high quality quests that the original plot sometimes seems tame inIt's Christmas in Skyrim 2014. The game is over 3 years old and I am still playing it and having a great time. Why? Because of the mods and creation kit. Modded Skyrim is a completely different game - better graphics, more followers, bigger towns, enhanced player homes, more armour, more hairstyles and so many new high quality quests that the original plot sometimes seems tame in comparison. So much innovation. So much extra gameplay. The ability to personalise the game world.
    The only depressing part is all the other rpgs that Bethesda could make with the game engine that won't get made,
  50. Feb 4, 2015
    AAA games leaving old school players like high elves, who leave middle earth with ships in Tolkein's tales. I'm not surprised at high ratings because this isn't a bad game for average console player or player who hasn't got enough time to invest in games. Yes, this game has huge world but with lifeless characters. Yes, it has an easy to learn character improvement system but with brokenAAA games leaving old school players like high elves, who leave middle earth with ships in Tolkein's tales. I'm not surprised at high ratings because this isn't a bad game for average console player or player who hasn't got enough time to invest in games. Yes, this game has huge world but with lifeless characters. Yes, it has an easy to learn character improvement system but with broken mechanics. Yes, you have dragons in this game but they are desperate to survive against a town guard's attack. Yes, you have many quests to do but without emotion and they are repetitive. You have cities without people, you have roads without surprising adventures, you have dungeons without danger of life... I miss Morrowind. I miss unsolvable character creation mechanics and rich choices. I miss strange looking places and unknown, deadly dungeons. I miss playing a real RPG...Good luck with this game. Expand
  51. Nov 16, 2011
    The overall impression - a single player MMORPG. Flat and predictable storyline, boring unremarkable characters, uninspiring dialogs, repetitive quests (quantity over quality). Combat mechanics are dull - enemy has too much health and hits too hard? Just kite it around while your mana regenerates. I'm not gonna mention all the technical flaws, because that I could excuse, if the game wouldThe overall impression - a single player MMORPG. Flat and predictable storyline, boring unremarkable characters, uninspiring dialogs, repetitive quests (quantity over quality). Combat mechanics are dull - enemy has too much health and hits too hard? Just kite it around while your mana regenerates. I'm not gonna mention all the technical flaws, because that I could excuse, if the game would be any bit exciting. Expand
  52. Dec 2, 2011
    Take back my earlier game review, Game has had several patches an it still runs like **** crashes on random loads or fast traveling between areas, will have texture load failures. **** for all the game content an as fun as it might be, I refuse to play it anymore cause I am sick of it randomly crashing every 5 to whatever minutes. piece of **** crap game an Bethesda has joined the ranks ofTake back my earlier game review, Game has had several patches an it still runs like **** crashes on random loads or fast traveling between areas, will have texture load failures. **** for all the game content an as fun as it might be, I refuse to play it anymore cause I am sick of it randomly crashing every 5 to whatever minutes. piece of **** crap game an Bethesda has joined the ranks of crap software companies just like the rest of them. Horrible peace of **** unfinished released software I am sick of wasting my money on crap software that is released untested an we the consumer get to play their test dumby as they patch an fix the game they released broken. TIRED OF IT AN I REFUSE TO BUY ANY GAME THAT IS NOT MADE BY BLIZZARD FROM NOW ON. Expand
  53. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is amazing, and nothing short of it. The gameplay (Combat) is far better then it was in previous Elder Scrolls games, but it seems like this game is a port TO PC not from it. The game isn't well optimized and graphics leave something to be wanted. Though Graphics may be less than a 'Crysis MEGA GWaFics' they are actually quite nice!
  54. Nov 11, 2011
    I have always loved the Elder Scrolls series, and was hoping with all my heart that Skyrim would not disappoint me.

It didn't.

That's all I have to say.
  55. Nov 11, 2011
    The people giving a 0 are really idiots they don't like the changing of weapons?? Lets give the game a 0!!
    they don't like the moving animation. Lets give it a 0 This game has some flaws and glitchs/bugs but it's REALEASED today. Most if not all will be fixed really calm down and stop giving such stupid reviews like
    Horse's are stupid 0
  56. Nov 11, 2011
    I am very happy with the outcome of this game. I can't say that it doesn't have issues that is why I gave it an 8 instead of a 9 or 10. The Visuals look quite good on my PC. Someone had said how it eats up their 8800 gtx. That's cause that is like 5 generations old video hardware. The game feels like a new experience. The dual-wielding is a concept that I've wanted to see and definatelyI am very happy with the outcome of this game. I can't say that it doesn't have issues that is why I gave it an 8 instead of a 9 or 10. The Visuals look quite good on my PC. Someone had said how it eats up their 8800 gtx. That's cause that is like 5 generations old video hardware. The game feels like a new experience. The dual-wielding is a concept that I've wanted to see and definately adds for a different dynamic.. The scenery is appropriate and pretty. I haven't run into any off-putting bugs at this time. The voice acting is quite the step up from Oblivion (70+ voice actors compared to TES IV's 12). The only major problem I have is that it is optimized for consoles. The interface, inventory, favorite items vs quick keys all felt cumbersome at first. I'm getting used to it, but I shouldn't be required to conform to what I can do with 5 buttons. The Elder Scrolls have previously been PC first games which made them incredibly enveloping when they came out. I've certainly had a couple Ooohh's and Ahhhh's in this but I can only imagine what it could have been if it were designed with the PC in mind first. Expand
  57. Nov 23, 2011
    Skyrim is another horrible example of quantity over quality. Bethesda is more than aware of what was good and bad in their previous games. They could easily have picked all the things that worked very well in Morrowind, Oblivion (with mods) and the Fallout games and made a truly amazing legendary rpg. Bethesda have the power and money to do just that. But it seems they lack the integritySkyrim is another horrible example of quantity over quality. Bethesda is more than aware of what was good and bad in their previous games. They could easily have picked all the things that worked very well in Morrowind, Oblivion (with mods) and the Fallout games and made a truly amazing legendary rpg. Bethesda have the power and money to do just that. But it seems they lack the integrity and logic to make an truly amazing game. They have removed lots of good things from the other games and continued with the flawed ideas and put in lots of new flaws as well.
    The level scaling on enemies are bad enough, but they chose to go with level scaling on loot. That is one of the worst concepts in gaming history and Bethesda uses it again :( The UI is also a total mess to use. Really....what were they thinking?? It looks tidy at first glance, but it is really cumbersome and unpractical to use. There is a good reason why most rpg's have very similar UI set up you know.....IT WORKS WELL! The game looks ok, but compared to most other games released for the pc these days it is look very dated. Skyrim is not a terrible game, but Bethesda really annoys me when they release a console optimized game for the pc, and they annoy me when implementing so many flawed ideas from previous games. After 20+ hours in the game I am bored to tears. Level scaling broke the point of progress once again.
  58. Nov 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is awesome! Played about 8 hours now, what impressed me the most though was when i were doing a random quest then got a note from a courrier with a black hand that said "WE KNOW". Then when i had rested i woke up at an old shack. And had to execute a random person, that was insane, apparently i got to join the dark brotherhood. The story so far i great, the sound is a 9/10, amazing. Graphics could be better though (will blame consoles). Also the landscape is visually amazing and very creative.10/10, this game is a masterpiece. Expand
  59. Nov 27, 2011
    Hey everyone. Time for my review of the most anticipated game of this year. I picked the game up as soon as it came out. and i have been playing it since. 70 hours into the game, here are my experienced thoughts, I have to say i am not all that impressed. We are redlining here. The first thing i noticed is that this game is "exactly" like the last oblivon. Just amped up a bit. Let me takeHey everyone. Time for my review of the most anticipated game of this year. I picked the game up as soon as it came out. and i have been playing it since. 70 hours into the game, here are my experienced thoughts, I have to say i am not all that impressed. We are redlining here. The first thing i noticed is that this game is "exactly" like the last oblivon. Just amped up a bit. Let me take this moment to say that the first morrowind was and still is the best one. why dont you bethseda scammers remake that one for us with skyrims graphics? The ability to leviatate was the best part of morrowind. . Being able tocraft your spells as weak or powerful as you chose, to make your belt of leviatate and fly through the air raining destruction spells down on the world. There was also very unique and powerful items available. to the user. Such as the incredible boots of blinding speed. How come there is no items as cool as those boots in the two recent editions of morrowind.(and i played the sh**t out of oblivion and morrowind) I was disappointed to find that skyrim is the same as oblivion. The dungeons are nice, the puzzles and amount of underground crevices to explore is greater than oblivion was but still the game seems to lack that thuum of power. The shouts are well pretty useless really. i have only found one of those special skill statues(the lady) I miss how morrwind allowed you to pick your birth star and get a special ability in it. i dont like how skyrim wont let you craft very powerful items. in morrowind i could make a fireball spell that required 1000 mana and did equivelent damage. in skyrim i cant make any spells at all. just theones they give me. Even the enchanting of items is very limited in skyrim. Its way to quick and easy to become the head of a guild. and it offers no bonus or perks to the user. The only really useful thing guilds do is provide neat missions. other than the thieves guild wich allows you to pay off the guards instead of going to jailand or paying a fine. i quickly realized there is little to no point in crafting my own gear since the stuff i find will always be better. The only two self enchanted items i use are twin ebony swords i enchanted with fire and frost. nothing epic, i set them to 10 damage each(max is about 31 so far.i dont expect it to go up much.) and if i set them to max damage they would only be useable once. as is i set them to be usuable 350 ish times each.(saves on recharging them after every swing or battle) There is a lot ofd walking around and more fast traveling. The horse is useless, basically it lets you run without using your stamina and you cant fight from horseback. There is a lot of glitches i have found. example theres this one dungeon with a pit 20 ft deep filled with water. at the bottom in one corner is a... air bubble. There are lots of quest glitches, some i have completed 3 or 4 times. they keep coming back up though.There are problems with displaying items in my house. And the options to furnish your houses are lame. You should be able to choose how many chests book shelves and/or sword racks you put in and where they go. Also i put say a sword on a shelf and leave and come back and its been thrown off the shelf onto the floor. i have had things fall through the table and floor on me as well.
    The oriniginal morrowind with these graphics would be awesome. And all those things you have to give to delvin..wtf i want stuff like that in my house. so far the coolest ornaments i have found are those dynamo cores(nice animations on em) and a bee in a jar.(very cool) Overall the game is ok. but in all honesty wtf did you guys waste your time on oblivion for? didnt you fu**ers make enough on the first one? what happened to the making of this game ? do you guys think we are all stupid or something?
    i hope you get your acts together and bring back the things that made this game so epic in the first place. even in oblvion i could at least become a god of sorts. not the same as morrwind mind but still. Nothing quite makes yoiu feel as powerful as flying over a city and wiping it out with a giant fireball. !!!
  60. Nov 13, 2011
    There is a good game and a very good game. This game is beyond both of these. This game is not just fantastic to play but it is also breathtaking with its enchanting scenery, enjoyable missions, fascinating puzzles and the unforgettably addictive gameplay. Once again Bethesda Softworks has made a game which I will never get bored with. Thanks, Worth every penny!
  61. Nov 13, 2011
    Competing with nostalgia-rich classics of the genre, critically acclaimed "hardcore" offerings, deep PnP style multiplayer RPGs as well as Oblivion and the (superior) Morrowind before it, Skyrim still comes out on top to become the best game I've ever played.

It combines the vast explorability and intoxicating atmosphere of Morrowind with the eminent playability of Oblivion, and turns the art style, world design, voice acting, story and most everything else up to 11 to create an almost perfect high fantasy/sword & sorcery RPG experience.

Visuals: 9.5/10
    Audio: 10/10
    Gameplay: 10/10
    Story/Quest Gameplay: 10/10
    RPG Mechanics/Design: 9/10
    Content/Scope: 10/10

Overall: 10/10
  62. Feb 3, 2012
    Man, was I wrong when I gave this game 8 points. It's not what I thought it is. I have played tones of hours just by assuming it should get better but it never did. I will never buy Bethesda game again until they start to innovate and make more story driven games! Because Skyrim is Big Empty world full of same characters with same crappy lines. Main quest is joke as many others. No matterMan, was I wrong when I gave this game 8 points. It's not what I thought it is. I have played tones of hours just by assuming it should get better but it never did. I will never buy Bethesda game again until they start to innovate and make more story driven games! Because Skyrim is Big Empty world full of same characters with same crappy lines. Main quest is joke as many others. No matter what you do you never feel the difference in outcome. Very dull game!!!!! I regret that I spend 60 dollars on it. Expand
  63. Mar 31, 2012
    Didn't like it one bit. It's not that I hate Bethesda or RPGs in general, it's just that I hate this one. There is too much repetition, the console version sucks, you need a computer like NASA's to play on a good video settings, there is zero story, and the load times can be horrendous.
  64. Jun 11, 2012
    I wish i could be more lenient about skyrim, but there isn't room to do so. It's a great game,
    with a stunning world to explore, and it's lore is magnificent. I'm an old morrowind player,
    and oblivion. With over 600 hours on morrowind plus all the expansions. But after seing the fallout, and fallout:Vegas i knew i had to let the developers fix the game and free it form the crashes and
    crashes and feezes.It's my first review on metacritic, and i wouldn't even think to post a review if iwasn't
    so enfuriated.I bought it the first week it was released, and didn't touch it since the previous two weeks.
    The game is simply unplayable, i have a fairly new computer with no problem in other games. After three
    oor four days the unthinkable happened the game freezed. And all this after the game reached v.1.6.Tried every available fix i found on the internet, spending hours and hours of searching. The freezes persisted, then i applied as beta-tester to the last patch.It was my last hope, but it was in vain.
    That's the last time i'll ever buy a game from bethesda.
  65. Nov 15, 2011
    Massively disapointed in this game. Horrible UI (obvious and awful console-port), if you haven't played the previous games you will be completely lost attempting to do many things--they are not explained at all. The graphics are bad, characters all look like unwashed creepy meat-puppets. 20h in, the story still hadn't done anything to grab me. And the combat, good lord the combat. WorstMassively disapointed in this game. Horrible UI (obvious and awful console-port), if you haven't played the previous games you will be completely lost attempting to do many things--they are not explained at all. The graphics are bad, characters all look like unwashed creepy meat-puppets. 20h in, the story still hadn't done anything to grab me. And the combat, good lord the combat. Worst I've played in an rpg...ever...maybe as bad as Witcher 2's, but it's basically the same so that's probably why. 1st person rpg sword-slashing simply Does. Not. Work. Playing a mage was slightly less annoying, but still wholly un-compelling. I gave it a 1 because the mountains are pretty. So there's that... Expand
  66. Aug 14, 2014
    A buggy, incomplete mess that suffers from attempts to maintain console parity. Thank Christ for the legion of modders working to make this game a decent experience on PC. Vanilla Skyrim is janky, at best. Quests are broken, game CTDs regularly, a disastrous console port that deserves better for its PC release. Elder Scrolls games have been going downhill since Oblivion, streamlines here,A buggy, incomplete mess that suffers from attempts to maintain console parity. Thank Christ for the legion of modders working to make this game a decent experience on PC. Vanilla Skyrim is janky, at best. Quests are broken, game CTDs regularly, a disastrous console port that deserves better for its PC release. Elder Scrolls games have been going downhill since Oblivion, streamlines here, removal of features there, there's reasons why people think Morrowind is perfection. I loved the game, but modders take half the credit. Expand
  67. Nov 15, 2011
    Skyrim starts out incredibly. Slowly as you play through the first town you'll come to realize how frustrating and difficult this game can be just to play. The are certainly solid elements in play (open world, complete interaction) but there is so much left to be desired.
    1. The controls for PC are extremely clunky and antiquated. It is essential to have multiple types of weapons and yet is ridiculously over-complicated to switch between items.
    2. Inventory system is a joke. It's 2011, I think we can move past the text based inventory system that Diablo used in 1996 Bathesda.
    3. Auto save is non-existent. Have to press my F5 key ever 2 minutes for fear of running into some monster in the forest that will kill me in 1 hit really takes away from the immersion of the world. Auto save only works when you zone, which means you're in a city, which means probably nothing will happen to you. Spend 20 minutes out in the forest? Better hope you saved 10 times to the run to wherever you're going.
    4. Game crashes constantly and some of the physics are just flat out broken (see horses)
  68. Nov 11, 2011
    Imagine a game where everything you want to do, you actually can do. The feel of a game where every decision you make will influence and affect the world around you. Well Skyrim does exactly that. This game is absolutely brilliant to play, stunning graphics, breathtaking storyline and a second to none soundtrack. However, As Bethesda is quite commonly known, Skyrim does feature someImagine a game where everything you want to do, you actually can do. The feel of a game where every decision you make will influence and affect the world around you. Well Skyrim does exactly that. This game is absolutely brilliant to play, stunning graphics, breathtaking storyline and a second to none soundtrack. However, As Bethesda is quite commonly known, Skyrim does feature some release bugs such as random client crashes, texture glitches etc. but these are nothing to worry about as they will be fixed in the patch very soon. 10/10! Expand
  69. Nov 11, 2011
    Metacritic never ceases to make me smile. The pointless gushing praise:

"OMG Roxor!! FTW!!! I want to have this games babies" without actually articulating why its the best and most important thing to have every happened to your life. Or the extreme criticism from morons that have nothing better to do than try to down vote a game they see as somehow threatening what they love the most
    Metacritic never ceases to make me smile. The pointless gushing praise:

Or the extreme criticism from morons that have nothing better to do than try to down vote a game they see as somehow threatening what they love the most just by being another game choice that exists in the world:

"I hate this game so much it has single handedly destroyed my life!!! Dark Souls Wins and the Witcher 2 is more PC!!!"

To be honest, nobody really cares if you like some other game else more than this. What do you think about the game you are actually coming here to vote on?

It doesn't matter what you choose there will always be better and worse things to compare it to but that is really missing the point when you are talking about games. The question is are you enjoying THIS game?

What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? Do you like more things about it than you dislike?

I've been gaming on PC AND Consoles since the games industry started. Iv'e seen games evolve from Pong to where we are today. Despite its ups and downs things just keep getting better and I am really excited to see where it takes us over the next 20 years...

As to my OPINION of Skyrim?

Sure it has it faults - some worse than others and I wish it did some of the things some other games that I like do better.

But every game is like that in one way or another and is one of the reasons people play OTHER games rather than only ONE!

I don't think until we advance to the point of the Matrix that a game will come close to satisfying everybody - but from my point of view, Skyrim is the best realised out of the box free roaming do what you want fantasy game to date. The mods that will come out over the next few years will make it even better and be further inspiration for Bethesda to make an even better game next time...

Its the sort of game that makes be glad to have gaming as a hobby. When I play it makes my imagination run wild and reminds me of how far things have come since it all began. Its a great time to be a gamer!
  70. Jul 13, 2012
    At first, I was blown away with the enviroments and the detail they've put into everything. You can climb the highest mountain, travel to anywhere you like. While you're doing this you can spot little details everywhere you look, like salmon swimming upriver or plants and flowers you can pick to make potions from. You have absolute freedom in this game. The storytelling or the way you getAt first, I was blown away with the enviroments and the detail they've put into everything. You can climb the highest mountain, travel to anywhere you like. While you're doing this you can spot little details everywhere you look, like salmon swimming upriver or plants and flowers you can pick to make potions from. You have absolute freedom in this game. The storytelling or the way you get from one quest into the next is also well done. You try to do a simple task and suddenly you find yourself in alot of trouble. However the moment you get over the great enviroment in Skyrim you see the tradeskills are way too shallow. You can mine ore with 3 swings which mines a vein the size of a room. You can't fish, which is a shame considering the great mountain enviroments. There aren't enough usable items. At lvl 20 I've only changed gear once. But the most annoying part is the companion who always attacks your targets frontally. Which means it's either always in your way, or it's not and it steals your kill so you don't get XP. And don't forget the poor controls. They went for minimal HUD and controls, which means you have to pause the combat every single time you need a different weapon or spell. Alot of the time this gets you killed as you pause right before the enemy strikes you. You run around with a bag full of bows swords shields and spells and you can't bind them to hotkeys ? How very console is that !
    Then there is the horse, which tries to defend you and dies half the time trying. I lost count how many times I had to reload because of that.
    My conclusion is, they've fixed alot of what was wrong in oblivion but there are still so many things wrong with skyrim. This game has 2 strong points. The enviroment and the close-combat, if the companion isn't in the way that is. The tradeskills are rubbish and should have been done in much more depth.
  71. Nov 11, 2011
    Gotta love the complete opposite theories on this game. It's either a 10 or a 0. So far through I'm on the 10 side as I am a fan of these completely open world games. There are many things that have stayed the same through oblivion yes but so much of it has been refined into a better game all around. Duel wielding and magic are currently my favorites of such improvements to the combatGotta love the complete opposite theories on this game. It's either a 10 or a 0. So far through I'm on the 10 side as I am a fan of these completely open world games. There are many things that have stayed the same through oblivion yes but so much of it has been refined into a better game all around. Duel wielding and magic are currently my favorites of such improvements to the combat system. Quests are abundant and feel fairly natural when accepting them. You'll always have something to do in Skyrim whether you are picking ingredients for potions or on your way to kill a dragon. All I can say is it's a very immersive, enjoyable game for me.

The bad: I bought this on PC, the menu system was definitely made for a console. Good thing I have a usb controller I guess. Glitches are there and can mess up your feeling of being in this world but for me are tolerable. Graphics are beautiful and I'm not sure why everyone is saying it looks no better then oblivion. I've been playing battlefield 3 before this came out and I will say that I was much more impressed with the visual effects, such as smoke and fire lens glare etc, in that game but all around a good looking game for it's size.
  72. gas
    Nov 21, 2011
    I have to update me review, my first score after 25 hours of gameplay was a 6/10, as primary the terrible menu/inventory/crafting system and secondary the engine/textures hard porting created me some issues to be very satisfied.
    Now after 70 hours of gameplay i can tell that even with those mentioned issues the game is more then good, also its really massive, i mean, there is really a lot to see and explore.
    Dungeons are getting more interesting and complex, and also the combat system even if not much better then Oblivion its fun, at least playing primary as ranged.
    The game runs also quite stable and ive not seen many bugs so far.
    Sadly it could have been a true masterpiece but the issues mentioned above are quite annoying.
  73. Nov 11, 2011
    In good ...

This game has a very serious problem ... It is impossible to stop playing! I'm at level 22 and level 100 in conjuration and the more it evolves into something, the more you see that still has much in progress! It is a work of art, where the vaunted Nordic is from the soundtrack to the buildings and clothing. Who loves the Norse mythology, will delight every new place
    In good ...

This game has a very serious problem ...
    It is impossible to stop playing!

Who loves the Norse mythology, will delight every new place visited.

For Odin ... I'm speechless ...
  74. Nov 11, 2011
    Soundtrack is brilliant. Visuals are outstanding. Engine Performance is beastly. Gameplay is quite fun. This is pretty much the best of the best of the entire Elder Scrolls series. Bethesda and their developers have learned so much from their previous BRILLIANT games. Unlike Battlefield 3's direction, it keeps the AMAZINGLY LARGE COMPLETELY OPEN terrain and an entire world to explore. It'sSoundtrack is brilliant. Visuals are outstanding. Engine Performance is beastly. Gameplay is quite fun. This is pretty much the best of the best of the entire Elder Scrolls series. Bethesda and their developers have learned so much from their previous BRILLIANT games. Unlike Battlefield 3's direction, it keeps the AMAZINGLY LARGE COMPLETELY OPEN terrain and an entire world to explore. It's land is like World of Warcraft with less world loading. It. Is. Amazing. Again, it keeps with the gameplay elements of previous games, HUNDREDS of quests, and how you can choose to do almost whatever you want. Want to kill everyone in the town you live in? Check. Buy a house and live in it? Check. Go and loot every dungeon in the game? Check. Amazing. Go get it. Expand
  75. Feb 6, 2012
    I didn't play a worse game. This game is totally stupid, overhyped and bad graphics. I've played it only 1 and half an hour, but this game makes me fockin' sick. Just delete this stupid game from the world.
  76. Nov 23, 2011
    As a console game, it might be acceptable. As a PC game (and an RPG with great heritage to boost) it is like a bad joke. I was able to "play" it for about 20 minutes before giving up due to the horrendous GUI system obviously ported from consoles. Hello Bethesda, I have a MOUSE connected to my computer! Can I use it for anything besides looking around? No? That's too bad... because withoutAs a console game, it might be acceptable. As a PC game (and an RPG with great heritage to boost) it is like a bad joke. I was able to "play" it for about 20 minutes before giving up due to the horrendous GUI system obviously ported from consoles. Hello Bethesda, I have a MOUSE connected to my computer! Can I use it for anything besides looking around? No? That's too bad... because without a mouse managing inventory and doing other tasks is a big pain, a big, time-consuming pain.
    The graphics look absolutely disgusting. While graphics in Oblivion seemed a bit outdated, this is completely disgusting. I even heard a developer or who was it, talking about "improved graphics" in a video. I did not know that "improved" meant making everything look like it was made out of plastic. Resolution of textures is terrible, everything is muddy, murky, without life. And the game mechanics at the beginning seemed like Call of Duty without guns. I do not know if the story is good because I simply could not force myself to play it with such terrible controls and disgusting graphics. One thing is to create dated graphics and something different is to create graphics so disgusting that it deters from playing the game itself.
    If you do not mind the graphics and console controls, you can give it a try but I would not expect much from it anyway.
  77. Nov 16, 2011
    0/10 for PC ... here is why... As soon as I tried to use my Keyboard/Mouse on PC! i discovered its unusable.
    menu really got me frustrated. I stopped right there and uninstalled it.

I figure if I can't even get around without being frustrated, i probably won't enjoy it!
  78. Nov 11, 2011
    Almost perfect free world (for this generation) even "consoliced"(certainly so much near perfection if not), but JUST THING IN THE MODS!!! You buy it, and you play the most complete game ever, finding new things to do or areas to explore even in the hundredth hour, or your tenth character.
  79. Nov 11, 2011
    Cant believe some idiots here are rating this a 0...that's just so pathetic and shows their mentality...sure this game has a few pc issues (dont most console ports today!) but this game is just amazing...most textures i see are really well done and teh whole atmosphere of this game is awesome..with beautiful scenery, buildings, caves and cavers etc etc etc..its all jaw droppingCant believe some idiots here are rating this a 0...that's just so pathetic and shows their mentality...sure this game has a few pc issues (dont most console ports today!) but this game is just amazing...most textures i see are really well done and teh whole atmosphere of this game is awesome..with beautiful scenery, buildings, caves and cavers etc etc etc..its all jaw dropping stuff!....yes some super HD textures would of been nice and maybe dx10-11 support but i doubt that would have added much to this already top RPG...i give it 9 out of 10 but am clicking on the 10 to try and offset the dickheads who gave it 0...the muppets are like spoilt children crying over minor issues like spoilt brats they are! Expand
  80. Nov 12, 2011
    Now this a great, great game. Do not listen to the negative words until you have played for at least 10 hours and not just visit the first hold. there are nine holds and most naysayers have been in only one
  81. Nov 11, 2011
    Maybe skyrim don´t have an incredible graphics on pc like others games(the witcher 2) but the incredible gameplay and other things make that you forget all this and just be pleased to play the game.
  82. Nov 11, 2011
    I've already spent several hours with this game, and I have to admit that I am impressed. The audio score, the visuals, and the introductory quest immediately pulled me in. I have already spent over three hours with the game, and I look forward to spending many more hours with it!

Some would say the graphics are horrible, but I suspect that is because their hardware isn't what it should be. I'm running a Geforce GTS250 on a Win7 machine, and it runs and looks great. The smoothest Elder Scrolls game to date, as far as I'm concerned. The decision to go to a new rendering engine was a great one!

A word on loading times: They are incredibly fast in most cases (thus far). I remember in Morrowind or Oblivion loading times could take about 30 seconds in some cases - annoying! In Skyrim, I'd say the loading times have been ~10 seconds, if not less. Again, this will vary due to your hardware (RAM, etc), but for the most part, expect faster loading times.

Dynamic quests:

I haven't really gotten too far into this - at least I don't think so. I have completed quests filed under "miscellaneous" in my journal, but I don't know if those are just scripted side quests or the "dynamic" quests the Radion AI engine makes. If they are, I guess that's a good sign. That means I can't really tell the difference, and I like that!

Crafting:

So far, I've dabbled into alchemy, but not too much. I've did a bit more with smithing, and I like the fact that you can craft your own things. I don't know how, exactly, you are supposed to find a steady supply of wolves (pelts/leather) or metals. I'm assuming you mine them, but so far the only thing I have gotten has been from the generosity of the early-game NPC's you encounter, and the monsters you kill if you get into one of the early game quests at the first town you are set loose on.

Weaponry:

One of the great things here is I love the fact that archery is now a lot more viable, though you still have to be a little creative with being able to use it. Unfortunately, even though it is improved, I still don't see it as being a "main" weapon unless or until you can level it up a lot and start doing a massive amount of damage on the first couple hits. There are other tactics you can use, though, I suppose. Stealth, or some way of slowing or even paralyzing the target, but I think in the early game you'll still have to rely on some kind of melee/touch based magic to finish them off.

AI:

The AI is pretty good. There are a few 'quirks' I still see, such as when I was following a NPC from where you start to where you are 'set loose' in a town. If I lagged behind a little too far, the NPC would stop and turn around, and then I would have to stop and wait for him to begin walking again. Imagine this start/stop procedure throughout the entire trip to the first town...it was a little irritating, but nothing you couldn't easily overlook. There was a couple other places where the NPC's got in the way when I was trying to walk up porch steps, or across a balcony, and it took a moment for them to move. Again, a little irritating, but not anything I couldn't handle.

My one complaint so far:

Switching from one "quick" slot to another while in the middle of combat was very, very frustrating. Maybe that is because the folks at Bethesda set an expectation that combat was supposed to be a little faster, but when I was trying to shoot a couple of arrows with my bow, and then switch to my melee weapon when the enemy got closer, it took a few seconds to do so, giving the enemy a couple of free shots. This is especially bad when you are trying to switch to a health potion, or healing spell. I ended up turning tail and running a couple of times while I waited for my gear to switch. While I realize that this is realistic (e.g. in real life it WOULD take time), this is one area I wouldn't have minded if they had suspended reality in favor of allowing me a smooth transition from weapon to weapon. I think that would have made combat that much more enjoyable.

Conclusion:

While the game still has its quirks, I believe this to be a vast improvement over its predecessors in the Elder Scrolls series. If you have the machine for it, it will run smooth, and look good. The AI still has a few quirks. The combat has some mechanics that are still not quite as smooth as I would like, but over overall, this is an amazing game thus far. I love the new atmosphere of Skyrim.
  83. Dec 2, 2011
    Copying the Oblivion mods is that all Skyrim is about. They cherry picked and stolen some great ideas of modders and implemented it into the game. Skyrim is more like an expansion pack to Oblivion. It is nothing but a heavily modded Oblivion, just like Fallout 3. The game engine is not different, Todd Howard is a liar. It's still based on Gamebryo Tech. Bethesda's policy is same asCopying the Oblivion mods is that all Skyrim is about. They cherry picked and stolen some great ideas of modders and implemented it into the game. Skyrim is more like an expansion pack to Oblivion. It is nothing but a heavily modded Oblivion, just like Fallout 3. The game engine is not different, Todd Howard is a liar. It's still based on Gamebryo Tech. Bethesda's policy is same as Infinity Ward's: "Why break it if it's working?" And like in every gamebryo based Bethesda game, texture quality makes me puke because it was designed for consoles in mind, consoles with tiny video memories... Skyrim lead animator Josh Jones is a worse liar than Todd, the animation system is not revamped or whatsoever. Animations still do suck. Go play some GTA IV, watch the guy strafing right&left while running and then you'll learn what animation is really all about. Not properly working controls give me a headache, mouse acceleration is an atrocity. User interface is designed for consoles in mind. Hard to use with keyboard+mouse combination, mouse does not work in 90% of menus. Game crashes to dektop every now and then, crapload of bugs making my quests break, flying items&creatures all around is a mess, dragons escaping ass backwards and don't give their souls sometimes. Yeah there are mods to solve most of these problems but modders are not Bethesda, i'm rating Bethesda here, not the modders. Don't know the console version but for PC, i give this game a solid "0" because this is all it deserves for backstabbing PC community again and again. Expand
  84. Nov 2, 2014
    Just a bad game. Awful combat, no challenge, no intensity, broken inventory and bugs everywhere!!. Looks completely unfinished and feels like nothing more than a bad dlc of oblivion. Could barely finish it. How this garbage sucked so many people in is beyond me but I can safely say this is by far one of the worst videogames ive ever had the displeasure to have on my computer.
  85. Nov 11, 2011
    Do not believe warez users!! UI is perfect. You can easily use any menu or item with keys or MOUSE!
    Graphic is beautiful. It may need some in tweak to max out, but the landscape and dungeons are very-very immersive. Animations sometimes a little awkward, but I do not care about it.
  86. Nov 11, 2011
    Since no one is giving honest reviews, only 10 and 0, I'm gonna give it a 10 too to make up for it.
    Oh yeah, also this game is amazing. Best game I've ever played.
  87. Nov 15, 2011
    Although Oblivion has amazing atmosphere, an engaging storyline and awesome world design, it fell short of basic industry standards in terms of pure gameplay. The combat, physics and animations were dated on release, and the proudly touted "Radiant AI" did not extend well beyond basic townsfolk interaction. Oblivion's successor, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has reportedly set out to improveAlthough Oblivion has amazing atmosphere, an engaging storyline and awesome world design, it fell short of basic industry standards in terms of pure gameplay. The combat, physics and animations were dated on release, and the proudly touted "Radiant AI" did not extend well beyond basic townsfolk interaction. Oblivion's successor, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has reportedly set out to improve on it's predecessors flaws.

Who knew improvement was such a marginal process? Skyrim suffers from the same incredibly lacking combat system that Oblivion is well known for; there is little and often no indication of damage (outside of an HP drop) when attacking an enemy and there is no complex timing or visceral response during fights. Instead, players choose whatever weapon/spell combination most suited to the enemy in question and flail about until one of the combatants falls. The improvements made to the combat system that allow for easy dual wielding and equipment management are completely wasted on a system that maybe would've been accepted in a 2.5d game in the 90s. Is Daggerfall the cause of this?

This archaic system is even further compounded by poor animations and very simple world physics, both of which work hard to pull you from the immersion presented by the amazing world. Skyrim introduces "death blow" animations that are nothing more than randomly occurring cosmetic distractions that are so poorly made and prone to glitching that it's a mystery as to why they were ever included. Third-person gameplay has been improved marginally, but the canned walking animations and glitchy keyframed attacking/rolling/jumping actions that often do not correctly flow into one another will have you switching back to first-person in no time, a shame considering the extensive character design system and excellently crafted armor sets.
    If that was not enough, a constant bevy of glitches and bugs will assault you at every turn. The game presents amazing scenes and story, only to promptly snatch the awe away with another glitching background model or a man butting into to a conversation about the safety of the city with a mention of his fruit prices.

But it's an RPG, right? Combat and presentation should come second fiddle to the freedom and variety of open-world gameplay, right? There sure are a lot of stats missing in this "Apple-inspired" UI, no quick way to check on equipped items and their individual stats, no indication of the worn location of an item until selected, whereby a simple armor rating comparison is made and nothing else. No equipment degradation, simplified stats, and the quick-switch/hot-key wheel has been replaced with a time-stopping favourites menu. Whilst a fight in Oblivion could be played out in real-time, Skyrim has the player pausing the game with each swap of equipment. Outside the Magic and Items menu (both of which draw from the same inspiration), the Skills and Map menus are both functional and simple.

What Skyrim does best is present an amazing world full of life and motion, something Bethesda shows mastery in time and time again. Wind blows trees and bushes; Water flows down streams, crashing against rocks as salmon jump upstream; Rain and snow falls, sometimes softly, sometimes ferociously. This game has a ridiculous amount of atmosphere and style, and Bethesda's attention to detail shines in every nook and cranny. The opportunity to get lost in one of the in game books or listen in on the conversations of bandits rewards the player with a rich fantasy story with uncountable facets. The new quest system allows some quest items and objectives to be approached in different locations depending on where the player has already been, meaning dull excursions are rare in an already breathtaking world.

It's a shame then, that the world alone is not enough to remedy Skyrim's flaws. It appears that Bethesda has learned nothing from their previous projects on the Gamebryo engine; Skyrim suffers from many of the flaws present in it's predecessors. At the core of the issue, it seems both Bethesda and their fans are unaware of the ageing gameplay, numerous bugs and lacking presentation aspects that plague the otherwise amazing world of The Elder Scrolls. It remains to be seen if many of these problems are patched or modded away (either by Bethesda or it's enthusiastic modding community), but in it's current state, Skyrim is an old game wearing new clothes.
  88. Nov 16, 2011
    Hurray! The next Elder's Scrolls is here. Too bad is a shameless port, using a dated graphic engine, sold to gullible PC users as the holy-grail of single-player RPGs. * Game is better than Oblivion but has plenty of CTDs (crashes to desktop) quest bugs, audio-bugs, and numerous graphic-glitches. * This 2012 title is DX9 only, renders horrible shadows (not GPU-accelerated), has noHurray! The next Elder's Scrolls is here. Too bad is a shameless port, using a dated graphic engine, sold to gullible PC users as the holy-grail of single-player RPGs. * Game is better than Oblivion but has plenty of CTDs (crashes to desktop) quest bugs, audio-bugs, and numerous graphic-glitches. * This 2012 title is DX9 only, renders horrible shadows (not GPU-accelerated), has no Occlusion Mapping, and LOW-Textures up-close. (The Withcer 2 is ages ahead !!!) * The UI (interface) is simplified in detriment to functionality and what should take 2 clicks takes 11.
    * Gameplay-wise is nice to have so much to do (smithing, mining etc). It was expected that all MetaCritic indexed sites to give it 100%, 5/5, all the praise. Most of them never even played the PC version, basing the review on XBox360 review copies. Go see the offcial forums in the PC section to read up on all the "praise" - There isn't one HAPPY review - NOT ONE !!!. It is sad to see how the big-boys get a free pass on a 50 EUR (yes, here in Europe is ~70 $ USD) for a PC (Steam-only) game that is far from perfect. It's still a great RPG just not so far from Fallout 3, and for a me a let-down. Please DON'T BUY this NOW, wait for it to get a GOTY edition, some patches and then maybe 30 EUR would be fair.
  89. Aug 18, 2012
    After lots of hours in game, i've changed my mind and gave it generously 4. This game was made for console lemmings and pokemons. Fallout-like perk system makes Skyrim far too easy. It has nothing to do with an RPG, except sharing Elder Scrolls name. Playing as Adept in Skyrim is like playing as Novice in Oblivion, no fun at all. Buggy and glitchy textures, dumb and weak opponents, poorAfter lots of hours in game, i've changed my mind and gave it generously 4. This game was made for console lemmings and pokemons. Fallout-like perk system makes Skyrim far too easy. It has nothing to do with an RPG, except sharing Elder Scrolls name. Playing as Adept in Skyrim is like playing as Novice in Oblivion, no fun at all. Buggy and glitchy textures, dumb and weak opponents, poor and short story, boring and repetitious side quests. Shame on you Bethesda, take this lazy mix of great Morrowind and very good Oblivion with you and don't you dare to come back, ever. Expand
  90. Nov 1, 2014
    First let me start with saying that Skyrim's combat is sh*t. It takes away the feeling that you are developing a character, that you help contribute to your character, that this is Your character. I am talking about investing points into Agility and seeing your character hit more often, those sort of things that create attachment to the game. Skyrim lacks the attachment part because asFirst let me start with saying that Skyrim's combat is sh*t. It takes away the feeling that you are developing a character, that you help contribute to your character, that this is Your character. I am talking about investing points into Agility and seeing your character hit more often, those sort of things that create attachment to the game. Skyrim lacks the attachment part because as long as You have the skills, You can do anything (from picking master locks, to hitting every time with the bow) which leaves you without a reason to care for this world, no attachment...

In Skyrim earlier perks completely say 'FU' to the difficulty and the need of finding better gear by giving you more damage, less mana requirements for spell usage (some perks are good).

Why Morrowind is better: from finding your own way via reading the journal, to more interesting architecture, more diverse and interesting locations, better made dungeons, better weapons, armor and loot, loot with value (for example glass or daedric loot was nearly impossible to sell due to its high value (1 daedric bolt is 4000 gold!)), more diverse and interesting magics, better and deeper stories, harder and more interesting puzzles (lockpicking was level based and if your Security skill was low forget about lvl100 Master locks unless with a magic scroll), harsher consequences for your actions and therefore more choices (you can kill anyone for example plot characters rendering the main plot impossible to complete unless you reloaded a save or found some other way; also NPCs were interesting because you could do more with them - if you were to increase the disposition of an NPC and your Personality was high enough you might find newer quests for example and new dialog. NPCs would offend you if they didnt like you and shopkeepers wont barter with you if you had items they disapproved like Skooma; if you had no stamina and were under attack you would fall to the ground unable to act until some stamina comes back).
  91. Nov 11, 2011
    (first few paragraphs are the summary) Well having given it a 10 it is obvious I thought the game was great. There is more game play content compared to previous games and the game world is believable (so far as fantasy can be). The game play has been streamlined to distill much the tedious things out, which may put off some hardcore fans but if the give it a go and compare with the(first few paragraphs are the summary) Well having given it a 10 it is obvious I thought the game was great. There is more game play content compared to previous games and the game world is believable (so far as fantasy can be). The game play has been streamlined to distill much the tedious things out, which may put off some hardcore fans but if the give it a go and compare with the previous games they'll realize it is for the better.

Overall its a dam good game. If you don't like morrowind or oblivion then you won't like this game since free form RPGs probably aren't your thing so you should probably play something quite linear like the witcher 1 or 2. If you do like the previous games you may first feel a little upset with a few of the minor changes but once you realize why there in there you'll notice it does in fact provide a better game play experience. The vast majority of people having graphical problems are either on PS3 or very low end systems. There are a few crashes but for me at least they are rare (every 3 hours or so) and it is very quick to get back into the game. But with the quality Bethesda provides with all their games there is no doubt that patches will be released to tweak these problems and they don't impact on the games fun factor at all.

The graphics are very nice and up there with any other fantasy setting game around and a nice upgrade over previous titles (I only compare with fantasy games as realism in graphics isn't the style they generally go for, meaning it is ridiculous and idiotic to compare graphics between this and battlefield 3 as the graphical styles are completely different, however it can be compared with The Witcher 2 and is probably equal though a little better than it in graphic wise).

All of the complaints about the graphics I've seen are more because they dislike the graphical style (fantasy with a very slightly cartoon appearance) but the graphics are actually really nice. Of course the PS3 version of the game has graphical glitches, but that is more difficulty issues with the PS3 architecture than anything else. I haven't had any major graphical problems over 3 different PC setups and it all runs very smoothly. The only poorer aspect of the graphics from me is perhaps the particle effects for some of the fire effects but its a moot point and as a graphics programmer I can be a little picky there. The only major glitches I've seen are to do with animation transitions but again its kind of moot and doesn't break the immersion of the game.

The AI path-finding also seems to have undergone an overhaul for the better. The AI is very good at navigating the game world and even in the few instances when it gets stuck it sorts itself out very quickly. There is still the problem of being able to trick it by placing yourself in a position it can't get too (such as on a cliff) and shooting it from afar, but that is really kind of cheating anyway and is an AI problem that will always be around for these games (other games get around it by simply preventing the player from moving to those locations, they can't do that in elder scrolls as it goes against their design philosophy of being able to go anywhere).

Storyline wise the game is much better than oblivion (on par with morrowind which I enjoyed) and the voice acting throughout the game is head and shoulders above oblivion. Again with any elder scrolls game its the world and side quests that make up the meat of the game and here they don't disappoint.

The combat system that takes about 20-40 mins to an to get used to but once you do you quickly realize how much better it is. There is actually some depth to it now rather then just hack and slash like oblivion (though it did try to be different). It is much easier to get the hang of than the Witcher though. The auto leveling system is also better since like the famous MMM mods you can still run into creatures of a higher level. it good still do with some more tweaking so that less weaker creatures appear (most bandits seem to be quite low level) but it is dam fun killing them so doesn't ruin the game at all.

The gameplay has also been improved with the addition of small gameplay elements such as a crafting system, overhaul of skills (for the better), roleplaying aspects (not something I really enjoy but nice addition all the same) like chopping firewood to earn a little extra gold and many more things. I particularly like the new spell, enchantment and alchemy systems which have more depth but are simpler to play with.
  92. Nov 11, 2011
    At its core, this game is absolutely fantastic. The amount of content available to the player is staggering, I'm about 11 hours in and feel like I haven't even began to scratch the surface of what the game has to offer. The only thing stopping me from giving this game a perfect 10 is that the graphics notably suffer from having to accommodate consoles, most noticeably in the characterAt its core, this game is absolutely fantastic. The amount of content available to the player is staggering, I'm about 11 hours in and feel like I haven't even began to scratch the surface of what the game has to offer. The only thing stopping me from giving this game a perfect 10 is that the graphics notably suffer from having to accommodate consoles, most noticeably in the character shadows (which appear very pixelated up close, even on ultra-high settings). The way the menu is set up reeks of lazy console port as well, but it's easy enough to get used to after awhile. Expand
  93. Nov 11, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is one of the most immersion and groundbreaking games I have ever played. Not only does it contain beautiful graphics, but also a detailed story line, good AI, and many features that other games wouldn't even consider implementing.
  94. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim is Morrowind revisited. Adventuring, exploration and discovery are back on the menu! Truck loads of love have been poured into this game. The attention to detail, the haunting music, and the ever increasing depth of the game are but the tip of a magical and mysterious mountain. Bethesda are the masters of the RPG genre.
  95. Nov 12, 2011
    i wanted to call it game of the year,
    what i like is that the game difficulty is not set too low and that the enivorment is very detailed, the sounds and the music are nice as well all together a impressive atmosphere. its very small, the download only has a size of 5,8GB.
    i wanted to call it game of the year,

on the other hand, the graphics engine itself is looks very old, when you get closer to anything, all you see is edges, little texture bugs... reminds me on RAGE; same problem.
    the controls of the game are a disaster. SERIOUSLY.

the npc/ai players block your way , the enemy ai gets stuck at random objects.

the mainquest is done very fast, (lvl 11 was enough to finish it) i think i took double the time for oblivion, at the end its just, travel - fight dragon - travel - fight dragon again. AND again... uuuh so creative.
    the secondary quests are fun, also its fun to just ride arround with the horse and let it fall down from high mountains.

its not worth the 49â
  96. Nov 12, 2011
    i worn u last time... do not this game.

it`ll ruin u all u have and u r in,,,

like family, job, school, and ur gf.

just.. just take blue pill.. before u r late.
  97. Nov 12, 2011
    I want to write something here, but that means taking the time to do so... So I will just say this: Buy the game yesterday, play it, and see what the rest of us sees aswell. This game is amazing.
  98. Nov 13, 2011
    Everything I could ever want in an RPG. Absolutely stunning visuals, great combat, amazing voice acting and story. This game is the complete package, and a must-buy for any fan of Bethesda RPG's.
  99. Nov 23, 2011
    This game was fun. Graphics, interaction, and just the way you could do things is amazing, but I got bored of it really fast. This would be one of those games that I love for the awesome game play. I think the only thing I absolutely hated about this game was the unbearably dull main story. I played through it once and thought, "I'm not wasting my time on that again." I also did not likeThis game was fun. Graphics, interaction, and just the way you could do things is amazing, but I got bored of it really fast. This would be one of those games that I love for the awesome game play. I think the only thing I absolutely hated about this game was the unbearably dull main story. I played through it once and thought, "I'm not wasting my time on that again." I also did not like the fact of random quest being added by just walking around the streets. I would be walking through a town, and have 10 new quests activated right before my eyes. It was a pain in the butt to get a house too, in order to buy a house, you have to beat half of the main storyline. I think it is a game worth getting, but don't be suprised if you find yourself bored of it within 3 days of beating it. Expand
  100. Nov 30, 2011
    Skyrim doesn't deliver. It's the fifth game in the elder scrolls series, and it still carries almost all the flaws Morrowind and Oblivion had, adding some others on top of them, getting a bit closer to Morrowind in overall quality, but still way far from what we used to experience and what was expected from this game.
    On the technical side, the game is a massive disappointment, with a
    On the technical side, the game is a massive disappointment, with a trainwreck of low res textures and only minor overall improvements on the effects. No one wanted Battlefield 3 quaity, but there's no excuse for the messy squashed low res textures Bethesda put in this game. Everything is blurry and under a green tint. And landscape still looks bad from a distance, like Oblivion. They still haven't managed a good low detail LOD for distant objects - which is ridiculous, after what the modders did with Oblivion. Face models and some animations are better, but not very good.
    The user interface is the worst I've EVER experienced, even the worst console ports are better than this, it cannot be described. Huge areas of wasted space, the inventory has pretty much no filters and everything is vertical with zero horizontal space used.
    Stat system has been streamlined to hell and back, you get to choose between health magicka and stamina, there's a reduced numer of skills and each one has perks, that would have been a good feature if introduced in some other way, but as they are now, they're just the only way to make skills useful since they botched up the skill system: for example, shield blocking is completely useless until you farm the perks for it.
    Equipment, streamlined too. You can only wear one ring, the enchantment system is awful (you learn enchantments by destroying items, then you're restricted to only certain enchantments depending on the item - for example torso pieces of heavy armor can't be enchanted for elemental resists) there are no more upper body and lower body armor (one piece now) no pauldrons, no polearms, no crossbows and all the melee weapons feel the same, you can't even decide to cut,pierce or smash - the attack animation is random and automatic, dealing always the same kind of damage.
    Melee combat is horrible. Two handed users pretty much cannot defend, Sword and shield users move incredibly slow and block no magic damage until you are of high level and managed to farm through the perks. Armor rating under 300 is basically useless. Awkward "finisher" animations pop up at every fight AND YOU CANNOT DODGE HITS! And no mounted combat, again.
    Sneaking is the same as it was in oblivion. Meh.
    Ranged combat is actually useful now, but it still needs mods to make it good.
    But where Skyrim really falls short is in the true RPG component, something that mods cannot fix: it's not a true RPG. There's some VERY RARE good writing, but most of it is pretty subpar and boring. Almost all quests have no choices or neutral paths, you are forced to do things that you do not want to do or to witness events that could be easily avoided and the game pretty much invites you to be a "master of all trades" character, killing the immersion.
    The only area where Skyrim can be considered a good game, is the exploration. There's a lot of content to experience by just exploring - provided you're ready to accept the lack of choices and the mostly average writing.
    Not worth buying.