8.1

1. Feb 25, 2012
    Game as any other Bethesda game.
    If you played Oblivion and Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, then you've seen it all. This is the same game with different theme. Been there, done that, that's it. I got bored after playing 8h of it, it's too repetitive. After playing Witcher 2 this game looks and plays like crap.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Bethesda has officially sold out. In the days of Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls used to be an imaginative open-world RPG for people who wanted to think and discover things for themselves. Nowadays, Bethesda makes shallow action games in hopes of catching the short attention span of the console-gaming casual players. Skyrim is enjoyable the first time you experienceBethesda has officially sold out. In the days of Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls used to be an imaginative open-world RPG for people who wanted to think and discover things for themselves. Nowadays, Bethesda makes shallow action games in hopes of catching the short attention span of the console-gaming casual players. Skyrim is enjoyable the first time you experience anything; The first time you pass that group of people, the first time you do a quest, the first time you climb up the Throat of the World, the first time you talk to a guard, etc. Then you quickly find out that there is no depth to anything. I guess it's not bad if you're looking to only do the main quest. However, if you're looking to explore the open world and spend 100+ hours in the game, you'll probably be disappointed at the shallow RPG experience. TES is dead. Expand
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is really broken on PC, it's unbelievable that reviewers do not take into account whether developers put in any effort on the version (PC) of the game that they are rating. Bethesda have sadly been extremely lazy on the PC side. I'm not talking about no added bells and whistles, I'm simply talking about basic PC functionality not working.

- Numerous graphical issues - Alt-tab

- Numerous graphical issues
    - Alt-tab causing hangs/crashes (this isn't even hard to fix!)
    - No borderless windowed mode
    - No key bindings
    - Little/no support for non-xbox controllers
    - Mouse acceleration cannot be disabled

Unfortunately this was a double day 1 purchase for myself and my wife so we could play through it this weekend, but it looks like this game is hardly playable in its current state (on our 2 PC's). A friend of ours woke up at silly o' clock to play it and ended up going back to sleep because of what a terrible state it is in. I wouldn't be complaining if this issue was limited to a single machine, but the fact is that this game is very broken on all the machines that ourselves and our friend have tried it on.

If you haven't bought this game already, I would recommend not purchasing it until it is fixed.
  4. Jan 27, 2014
    Terribly disappointing. When will we stop rewarding Bethesda for these incredibly low-quality games? It's like watching a production of Shakespeare where the actors and crew are drunk - the story may be compelling and the backdrop spectacular, but the entire performance is doomed to failure. From the interface to the voice acting to the animations, this game is sub-par. For God's sakeTerribly disappointing. When will we stop rewarding Bethesda for these incredibly low-quality games? It's like watching a production of Shakespeare where the actors and crew are drunk - the story may be compelling and the backdrop spectacular, but the entire performance is doomed to failure. From the interface to the voice acting to the animations, this game is sub-par. For God's sake Bethesda, get a better QA department! Expand
  5. Jul 13, 2012
    At first, I was blown away with the enviroments and the detail they've put into everything. You can climb the highest mountain, travel to anywhere you like. While you're doing this you can spot little details everywhere you look, like salmon swimming upriver or plants and flowers you can pick to make potions from. You have absolute freedom in this game. The storytelling or the way you getAt first, I was blown away with the enviroments and the detail they've put into everything. You can climb the highest mountain, travel to anywhere you like. While you're doing this you can spot little details everywhere you look, like salmon swimming upriver or plants and flowers you can pick to make potions from. You have absolute freedom in this game. The storytelling or the way you get from one quest into the next is also well done. You try to do a simple task and suddenly you find yourself in alot of trouble. However the moment you get over the great enviroment in Skyrim you see the tradeskills are way too shallow. You can mine ore with 3 swings which mines a vein the size of a room. You can't fish, which is a shame considering the great mountain enviroments. There aren't enough usable items. At lvl 20 I've only changed gear once. But the most annoying part is the companion who always attacks your targets frontally. Which means it's either always in your way, or it's not and it steals your kill so you don't get XP. And don't forget the poor controls. They went for minimal HUD and controls, which means you have to pause the combat every single time you need a different weapon or spell. Alot of the time this gets you killed as you pause right before the enemy strikes you. You run around with a bag full of bows swords shields and spells and you can't bind them to hotkeys ? How very console is that !
    Then there is the horse, which tries to defend you and dies half the time trying. I lost count how many times I had to reload because of that.
    My conclusion is, they've fixed alot of what was wrong in oblivion but there are still so many things wrong with skyrim. This game has 2 strong points. The enviroment and the close-combat, if the companion isn't in the way that is. The tradeskills are rubbish and should have been done in much more depth.
  6. Jun 4, 2013
    The important thing to remember before you purchase this game, is that it is the exact same game experience as Morrowind and Oblivion. If you eventually got tired of how repetitive those games were, you will probably not get much value out of this game. The one thing this game does offer is tons of repetitious quests, creatures, dungeons, and scenery. You can really feel the age of theThe important thing to remember before you purchase this game, is that it is the exact same game experience as Morrowind and Oblivion. If you eventually got tired of how repetitive those games were, you will probably not get much value out of this game. The one thing this game does offer is tons of repetitious quests, creatures, dungeons, and scenery. You can really feel the age of the basic gameplay system and interactions when you compare it to modern games like Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls, and Dragon's Dogma.

I do not recommend a purchase unless its at bargain prices or you are completely new to Elder Scrolls.
  7. Apr 26, 2015
    A few years back a good game was launched named Skyrim. The game felt kind of empty with many limits, shortcomings and a short storyline but was still good. A few modders started to share their first creations and as the community grew, more and more mods and sub-communities saw the day. The work to improve and expand the game was well on its way. The community created tools and resourcesA few years back a good game was launched named Skyrim. The game felt kind of empty with many limits, shortcomings and a short storyline but was still good. A few modders started to share their first creations and as the community grew, more and more mods and sub-communities saw the day. The work to improve and expand the game was well on its way. The community created tools and resources that other modders used. Ideas was discussed and fantastic mods was created. Today more than 40000 mods is hosted on nexus and the workshop have more than 25000 mods. Countless numbers of videos, reviews, feedbacks and play testing have been produced. The game have expanded and improved in all aspects and the selection of mods,improvements and information is tremendous.

The community surrounding Skyrim have become very large and the popularity of the game followed that growth. And much of this was built on the idea that everyone was free to use the mods and tools that was created by the community. All that changed when Bethesda made it possible to charge money for mods. This change in policy is moving Bethesda in a direction that is undermining the foundation for the popularity and interested around their games. This change in policy will split up the community, create conflicts and reduce number of new mods created. Many will feel betrayed and treated unfairly and those that made the resource and tools that made some of the best mods possible will never be paid.

I'm not against that modders get paid for their work, I'm against the way it was introduced, that they introduced it in a well established community and the way it work on steam. By using Skyrim as the first game that have this "paying for mod" system it just feels like they are trying to suck out all the cash they can from this community that was built around free sharing and that already have thousand of mods available for sale. And in return they only give 25% to the modders, its easy to see that this was not act of being kind to the community.
  8. Dec 29, 2011
    Horrible and disapointing game. Skyrim is everything Elder Scrolls fans did not want. Its smaller,stripped,mainstreamed,buggy and ugly game. If this is the new direction of Elder Scrolls then this serie is dead for me. It certainly won my FOTY(Fail of the year) award this year.
  9. Dec 7, 2011
    I think Skyrim is terrible in all honesty. The main quest is just filler material. All you do is slowly traverse from A to B, only to be told that you need to walk to C. When walking, 90% of the time there is nothing to do, and nothing to fight.

When you finally do get to fight, there is absolutely no depth to the combat system whatsoever. If you have a melee character, the only logical thing to do is use your strongest attack until you run out of stamina. The only reason you would ever use your weak attack is because you don't have enough stamina to use your strong attack. Would you rather give the enemy a nice little friendly love tap, or would you rather try to kill them? Playing as any kind of mage is equally as repetitive and bland. You just do the same thing over and over again on every single enemy. Switching from fire and ice to attack fire / ice enemies appropriately is not depth. The difference between shooting red and blue from your hand is superficial. You're still just doing the same old boring thing over and over again. Sure, you can be an archer, or some other type of mage, but you're still just doing the same thing over and over no matter how you look at it.

The enemy variety is mostly humanoid based opponents, such as draugrs, skeletons, and bandits. Yeah, there are things like Dwarven spiders, where - They really change it up on this one, get ready! - You have to LOOK DOWN to attack them! So deep, right?! Wrong. Yeah there are more enemies than this obviously, but regardless, you generally fight them in the same ways no matter what.

The perks are mostly passive, for example, "add 20% attack power". That's not fun. A good example of a perk would be something that adds a whole new gameplay mechanic, like the "silent roll", and "hawk eye" (where you can zoom in with your bow). I'm not citing them as perfect perks necessarily, and sure, there can be a FEW passive ones, I'm just saying these perks were some of the only ones to have the general right idea of what a good perk should do.

The areas are aesthetically appealing to some. I'm not saying the game looks bad or anything, but just that that's not what impresses me. There are only about 3 different area types in this game, the dwarven areas, caves, and crypts. There may be more that I can't think of at this moment, but once you've seen all the dungeon formats, you've seen every dungeon in the game. Everything after that will just be that same old thing rehashed once again.

So to sum it up, there is no variety with character customization, the areas have no variety, the enemies have no variety, and this game honestly has what I would consider one of the most superficial combat systems to ever exist in a game. Top this off with countless glitches, terrible patches, a lot of grinding, and pointless difficulty levels that only make the game superficially harder (giving an enemy more HP doesn't mean it's harder).

I'm not saying the game is total garbage, but the scores that this game is getting in spite of all of these problems is just absolutely ridiculous. I don't see how so many people are claiming that this is the game of the year.
  10. Nov 16, 2011
    The overall impression - a single player MMORPG. Flat and predictable storyline, boring unremarkable characters, uninspiring dialogs, repetitive quests (quantity over quality). Combat mechanics are dull - enemy has too much health and hits too hard? Just kite it around while your mana regenerates. I'm not gonna mention all the technical flaws, because that I could excuse, if the game wouldThe overall impression - a single player MMORPG. Flat and predictable storyline, boring unremarkable characters, uninspiring dialogs, repetitive quests (quantity over quality). Combat mechanics are dull - enemy has too much health and hits too hard? Just kite it around while your mana regenerates. I'm not gonna mention all the technical flaws, because that I could excuse, if the game would be any bit exciting. Expand
  11. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim truly is a great game with unlimited possibilities...when you have mods freely available. Without mods the game is subpar in all areas, and the recent paywall mod idea has destroyed the very reason for buying this game. Not only that, but they are on the path to destroying the entire concept of what a mod is- a modification done by a hobbyist and turning it into micro-dlc. ThisSkyrim truly is a great game with unlimited possibilities...when you have mods freely available. Without mods the game is subpar in all areas, and the recent paywall mod idea has destroyed the very reason for buying this game. Not only that, but they are on the path to destroying the entire concept of what a mod is- a modification done by a hobbyist and turning it into micro-dlc. This leads to modders not wanting to share their source materials and tips/tricks that could aid less experienced mod. From sharing to a paywalled modding community.

Skyrim truly has shot an arrow into their own knees with this paidmods move.
  12. Nov 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a huge fan of the series I hate to do this, i really do, and if i was just playing an ordinary game by an ordinary developer this would be getting a 8 or a 9. If i was just taking the first 5 hours, this would be getting an 8 or a 9. This weekend i have put a solid 35 hours into this game, so i feel like my review comes after some experience.
    Firstly, the positives.
    The game is interesting, the lore is good, the dungeons are varied and have interesting puzzles.
    Combat is improved, if not brilliant and the perks are quite neat.
    These positives are definitely enough to make the game interesting and playable.
    Now the negatives.
    The menus, OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL. How difficult is it to make a frigging spreadsheet, listing the weight, value and name of the item, and let me sort it by those things. Not to mention its all designed for a console, so i waste so much time clicking the wrong thing because the cursor doesn't map properly to the options.
    Secondly, the bugs, man this is difficult to play when it crashes to the desktop ever hour or so with no warning or error message, its just gone. AI does some silly stuff sometimes but i can get over that, its just the crashing to desktop for no apparent reason that's killing me.
    Thirdly, and this is my biggest and most important one, and more general too.
    I don't know if anyone else senses this, but the whole game feels less heroic and epic than Morrowind or Oblivion. Sure you fight dragons, but the game feels kind of scripted.
    ----Minor Companion Guild Spoiler alert---- (I don't say what happens just it doesn't take long)
    So the companion guild is supposed to replace the fighters guild, and it was my first stop. I expected hours of missions and working my way through the ranks to finally become the leader, which would come with benefits such as getting my cut from the other members of the guild i now lead, or special missions, or special perks or SOMETHING. I would have expected extra reputation but that is no longer in this game for some reason. But what happens? I finish the couple of quests in little over an hour and am suddenly head of the guild and my benefits amount to a big fat nothing. Oh i get some stupid axe that i already had weapons as good as. And what is the special quests i get after being the mighty leader? "Hey man, this guy has a wolf (a single wolf) in his house on the other side of the map, can you go kill it?" Yeah send the freaking head of the guild to do that for like 100 gold.
    Same deal with the mages, no benefit at all.
    ----End Companion Spoiler----
    That's ok, ill go work for a Jarl, and get a house and become a thane, surely that will come with benefits and affect the story somehow.
    Wrong, after all the work and money it takes to get there, its just another thing you do that has no real benefit except you can get away with small crimes.
    This game is suffering from what i call Fable-itis, you can even get married ( to random NPCs or no noteworthiness for no benefit). There's so much to do, but why bother. All of my Armour and weapons were crafted by myself and are drastically better than anything i find, the only thing i use that i found was an amulet.
    Even taking part in the Civil War seems to have little affect that i can see so far other than a change in NPC's that run the cities and no benefit to yourself.
    The other Elder scroll games made your character so important, in Morrowind you could join a great house and rise through it eventually building your own castle. How awesome and epic.
    In Oblivion when you were the master of the guild you were the MASTER. You got a cut of everyone's earning and could direct the attention of the guild, and you were famous because of it.
    Where is that in this game? Where is the epic story where you grow in power and fame? Sure there are some epic battles, but the Elder scrolls were never about that, they were about the heroes story from rags to riches, from a dirty prisoner to lord of all you see.
    The problem with Elder scrolls is the expectations that go with it, this game looks great, and plays pretty well, as my 35 hours playtime will show, but it just doesn't feel like a good Elder Scrolls game, and most fans of the series will realize this as the game progresses and they seem to be having less and less effect on the world.
  13. Dec 2, 2011
    Copying the Oblivion mods is that all Skyrim is about. They cherry picked and stolen some great ideas of modders and implemented it into the game. Skyrim is more like an expansion pack to Oblivion. It is nothing but a heavily modded Oblivion, just like Fallout 3. The game engine is not different, Todd Howard is a liar. It's still based on Gamebryo Tech. Bethesda's policy is same asCopying the Oblivion mods is that all Skyrim is about. They cherry picked and stolen some great ideas of modders and implemented it into the game. Skyrim is more like an expansion pack to Oblivion. It is nothing but a heavily modded Oblivion, just like Fallout 3. The game engine is not different, Todd Howard is a liar. It's still based on Gamebryo Tech. Bethesda's policy is same as Infinity Ward's: "Why break it if it's working?" And like in every gamebryo based Bethesda game, texture quality makes me puke because it was designed for consoles in mind, consoles with tiny video memories... Skyrim lead animator Josh Jones is a worse liar than Todd, the animation system is not revamped or whatsoever. Animations still do suck. Go play some GTA IV, watch the guy strafing right&left while running and then you'll learn what animation is really all about. Not properly working controls give me a headache, mouse acceleration is an atrocity. User interface is designed for consoles in mind. Hard to use with keyboard+mouse combination, mouse does not work in 90% of menus. Game crashes to dektop every now and then, crapload of bugs making my quests break, flying items&creatures all around is a mess, dragons escaping ass backwards and don't give their souls sometimes. Yeah there are mods to solve most of these problems but modders are not Bethesda, i'm rating Bethesda here, not the modders. Don't know the console version but for PC, i give this game a solid "0" because this is all it deserves for backstabbing PC community again and again. Expand
  14. Nov 21, 2011
    I'll keep this quick, despite the pretty graphics (if u have the machine to max them out they aren't bad) and decent voice acting, I was quickly disappointed. The combat is terrible, quests are both sparse and boring, and very little to do that actually has any impact on anything of importance, I found this to be a quick waste of 60$. I can't for the life of me understand what all theI'll keep this quick, despite the pretty graphics (if u have the machine to max them out they aren't bad) and decent voice acting, I was quickly disappointed. The combat is terrible, quests are both sparse and boring, and very little to do that actually has any impact on anything of importance, I found this to be a quick waste of 60$. I can't for the life of me understand what all the hype was about. Expand
  15. Feb 17, 2012
    Looking at 31 positive scores i kinda lose faith in professional reviews and feel like they give instant high rating to popular games after playing them for very short time just to pump industry with money and be popular... :/

Imo skyrim lacks what good rpg game should have. Immersive feel, atmosphere and gameplay. Like old thief, baldurs gate, torment or gothic, or to lesser extend new witcher or even amnesia the dark descent... tbh there aren't made many good games nowadays.

Stuff i dislike in skyrim are: big but lone/boring world where most stuff looks the same (copypasta), fighting is just basically boring not involving one or two button smashing(+drinking potions), npcs feel so "detached" in this world don't make me want to look around for quests or to talk to them...
    Main plot was really mediocre and when you complete it game loses any point of playing anymore because everything feels like filler. Game mechanics suck... Why would they even do stuff like lockingpicking, rhetoric, stealth, its just illusion of choice but in truth they are all useless... This whole game feels more like poor fake/artifical "program" and not like word. I even felt more of rpg in WoW than in this mediocre game. Character models move awkwardly when strafing, if you dual wield, your second weapon isn't even displayed on your belt. Games keeps retard friendly skill level both during battles and so called puzzles.
    You get big world, walk around this same caverns without feeling of purpose, without joy or satisfaction when fighting, talking to these same looking fake npcs. Meh... After playing this game for like 30 hours its linearity and repetitiveness becomes very apparent. Very overrated and overhyped game which doesn't even deserve place between true rpgs. These high rating only show how biased and subjective gaming reviewers are, you can't trust them... Sadly this way we can't expect developers to make really good games like in past.

Anyway this game deserve 5 on 10point scale where 10 are greats like torment, fallout, bg2 and 0 utter crap like postal...
    Its still better than oblivion but this doesn't mean its good, im giving it 0 just to downrate it little bit.
  16. Nov 11, 2011
    Absolutely awful. Try remapping the keys to the keypad and you get "this key is reserved," even though it really isn't. The graphics are absolutely awful, the mouse control is absurd, and textures are washed out and bland. How did this hogwash get released for PC? Why did Bethesda even bother? I get the feeling that most of the reviews here saying "GAME OF THE YEAR" are payed reviewers.
  17. Aug 18, 2012
    After lots of hours in game, i've changed my mind and gave it generously 4. This game was made for console lemmings and pokemons. Fallout-like perk system makes Skyrim far too easy. It has nothing to do with an RPG, except sharing Elder Scrolls name. Playing as Adept in Skyrim is like playing as Novice in Oblivion, no fun at all. Buggy and glitchy textures, dumb and weak opponents, poorAfter lots of hours in game, i've changed my mind and gave it generously 4. This game was made for console lemmings and pokemons. Fallout-like perk system makes Skyrim far too easy. It has nothing to do with an RPG, except sharing Elder Scrolls name. Playing as Adept in Skyrim is like playing as Novice in Oblivion, no fun at all. Buggy and glitchy textures, dumb and weak opponents, poor and short story, boring and repetitious side quests. Shame on you Bethesda, take this lazy mix of great Morrowind and very good Oblivion with you and don't you dare to come back, ever. Expand
  18. Apr 25, 2015
    I am seriously disappointed by Bethesda's greedy decision of taking 75% of the profit generated by mods their users make. This will go down in history as one of the worst changes made to an otherwise flawless game.

Skyrim Vanilla 8/10
    Skyrim with mods 10/10
    Skyrim with paid mods 0/10
  19. Dec 2, 2011
    How do you say overrated in 150 characters(?), because that's all you really need to know. If you like running around and looking at pretty, fake places, you'll love it. If you're looking for a rich, deep roleplaying game experience, you'd be far better off playing um, er.... Oh, that's right. They don't make those anymore.
  20. Dec 20, 2011
    Bethesda today released LAA (Large Address Aware, 4gb support) support for the PC version, which at least makes the game playable without using a 3rd party program. Since that is finally true (nearly 6 weeks after launch) this will be my final review. The score is a 4, a low meh. That score is based on vanilla Skyrim, no mods with the software as the developers intended it. I can onlyBethesda today released LAA (Large Address Aware, 4gb support) support for the PC version, which at least makes the game playable without using a 3rd party program. Since that is finally true (nearly 6 weeks after launch) this will be my final review. The score is a 4, a low meh. That score is based on vanilla Skyrim, no mods with the software as the developers intended it. I can only assume this is how they intended it being so far after launch, 3 patches later and this is what it is. The game is still plagued by compatibility issues. Some systems and hardware simply can not use the game settings to run correctly. In my case Anti Aliasing (AA) and Anisotropic Filtering (AF) is broken. Using these settings in the game simply does not work, causes major FPS loss and texture problems. Forcing these setting (on max) externally through my video card the game runs well. The menus and keybinding issues that have been widely spoken about persist and Bethesda has done nothing at all about them. Shadows, regardless of setting (low to ultra) are blocky, twitchy, badly behaved abominations all over the game world. There are hundreds of quest bugs and other minor issues that remain untouched as well. Perhaps most troubling is some of the things that DID make it into previous patch notes, supposedly being fixed, were NOT fix and still persist in game. All of these things bring my score for this game down and that score is solely because Bethesda did not take the time to polish their game. Now, all that being said....Skyrim is one of the best games of all time. Just not by default. If you (and I encourage you to do so) visit one of the modding sites (nexus) and see what the fan base of this game is doing, not only to fix Bethesda's laziness but also their broken programming your jaw will constantly drop as the hours tick away in the wonderful world that is Skyrim. There are mods to make the game run better, mods to make the textures in the world look better, mods to fix the broken inventories and terrible UI in the game. There are mods to make your character look different and mods that bring Skyrim to life. The modding community for this game is EXTREMELY active (all current mods have been made even without the help of an SDK) and helpful. Bethesda built the foundation and for releasing a flawed game get a low score. The modders finished Skyrim, polished it and made it one of, if not THE, best games of all time. Expand
  21. Nov 11, 2011
    To those who can't believe how somebody could rate this game so low, I know exactly how you feel, about the game and the rating. I couldn't possibly care any less though.:)
    Good WRPG is all about choices/options and involved/enjoyable character development. An epic, well written story helps as well. This game does not have any of this.
    With a large world to explore, it first felt like a
    With a large world to explore, it first felt like a lot was possible. Cave exploration, ruin exploration, underwater exploration, fight X creature, find a random town and talk to random denizen, etc. After about 10 hours, it became more obvious that, yeah there is a lot you can do on the side, just none of it was all that interesting. At a certain point it just felt like I was playing offline MMO, in that the game allows you to do so much but it's just done so poorly.
    I know that the graphics aren't the most important part of a game like this but Skyrim don't even look average. I would never be so ridiculous as to say that I would buy a game just based on the visuals, but this game look like heavily moded Oblivion.
  22. Nov 14, 2011
    The face animations bother me, the voice acting is terrible. I played this game for 10 minutes, I could not stand the graphics. They are terrible, it is sad do they just not think to update their textures for pc?
  23. Nov 11, 2011
    More proof that 'professional' game evaluators are clueless console lovers... This SCREAMS console port... Even stinks of it...

Can't change weapons without bringing up your 'favorite' list (can't even assign weapons or spells to 1-5, etc.). Graphics still look really bad... Hair looks like they used 200 cans of gel or spray, cloth doesn't flow... And even AI movements are totally unbelievable. I.E. If you wake the bear in the tutorial part, it stands and spins without moving it's legs. And that's on Ultra settings... I can't say more without being a spoiler of sorts. Anyhow; screenshots can look nice but movement looks awful. And unfortunately, so do far too many textures, areas, etc.

GET OFF THE DECADE OLD TECH AND MAKE A REAL GAME FOR GOODNESS SAKE! Consoles again ruin gaming... Oblivion, with the High-Res texture pack, looks better... And I've had it crash once already just going through the tutorial... Random 'flash to windows'... And this is on a modern (1100T/6970), non-OCed system with all current drivers. So bug-free it isn't. It's not super-bad but... It does crash...

At best, it feels like a new control system for Oblivion or Fallout. At worst, it stinks of console in every way. Still no crouch (really?!?) accept 'sneak'. multifunction select system instead of weapon button assignment (1-5). Even most other console ports can at least get that part right...

I DARE a developer to make a REAL, Modern gaming engine... But they won't, until consoles catch back up; which they won't... so again, PC users get the shaft...
  24. Apr 27, 2015
    Expecting paid mod DLCs and mod DRM by the end of the year.
    Really epic move there, **** and Vulve. Congratulations. If gaming community buys this, I will lose my remaining faith in humanity.
  25. Aug 8, 2012
    I've spent probably about one thousand or so hours playing this game's predecessors. Unfortunately, this game failed to have that sort of drawing power for me-- I could only manage about thirty hours on this one before being completely bored.

Graphics: To give you an idea of how well these graphics appealed/will appear to PC gamers, the first time I saw a certain snow texture (on the roof of that broken down fortress inhabited by bandits) I thought my game had glitched and that the snow hadn't fully rendered. To my surprise, that texture had loaded properly-- it was just intended to look completely flat and without any sort of real detail. Bethesda games have never really been known for high quality graphics or animation and I care more about gameplay than graphics, so this isn't that much of a detractor for me; but there's still a certain level of quality that you'd expect from a massive release such as this.

Audio: The only complaint I have about the game's audio is that the soundtrack paled in comparison to its predecessors. The game's trailer probably had the best song related/in the game.

Gameplay: Oh boy, here's where it all goes downhill. The combat has absolutely no depth-- what you do in one fight is what you'll be doing in every fight for the rest of the game.

You'll use your strongest spell against every enemy because, save for one quest, elemental resistances are negligible-- not to mention that the spells in the destruction skill tree don't scale enough to keep them competitive with the melee trees or the conjured weapons.

You'll use power attacks rather than normal attacks because there's no real consequence for using them when you're almost out of stamina, and you also won't be terribly active in combat-- you can't properly dodge attacks, so there's little reason to do anything other than standing in place, spamming power attacks.

That being said, ranged combat works, although not as well as one would expect in a game made so recently-- there's no location-based damage. A headshot is as effective as a body shot, period.

It also doesn't help that the game's iconic enemies (dragons) are severely outclassed by the game's most basic enemies (bandits) once you get to a certain level. Thanks to Skyrim's level-scaling, you'll eventually encounter bandits outfitted in daedric gear who will pose a greater threat to you than the big bads in this game. Certain enemies will also simply be damage sponges that you'll just have to whittle away at until they succumb to their tiny wounds.

Then there's the world. It's largely empty, the towns are incredibly small (Skyrim's capital city only has eleven buildings), and all of the dungeons within the game are insanely streamlined-- more so than Oblivion's dungeons, which were already incredibly straightforward.

Also, there's an insane amount of quest-breaking/game-breaking glitches in the game-- just one look at the Elderscrolls wiki will make you realize how lucky you are to have gotten so far without the game collapsing in on itself.

In all, I'd give it an "at least jumping off of the throat of the world is fun" out of ten.
  26. Nov 12, 2011
    The Professional review sites are officially dead. It's not just a coincidence any more, they are obviously bought and paid for.

This is a really mediocre console port, and not a successor to Elder Scrolls: Morrowind or even Oblivion. The controls are 'horrible'. The interface/inventory/etc., is horrible. The story and voice acting, are really bad, the intro was boring and very linear and quickly care nothing at all about any of the forced, rushed, generic characters. Voice acting is in spots good and in other spots, well, spotty. Exploration feels about the worst ever for an Elder Scrolls game and environments have a really weird scale to them, that makes everything feel squished and steep, like walking up the side of a cliff just feels really weird, like everything is made out of 80 degree angles.

Controls make this game basically un-playable, they ruin combat. Dunno what the developers were thinking, but my guess is that they didn't want to catch all the major BS they would catch if they just stopped making PC games, so they just do this instead. Bad news though, I wouldn't even enjoy this as a console game, the original Morrowind played on the original Xbox was better (I know because that's how I played it through the first time and I pre-ordered that old classic...)
  27. Nov 18, 2011
    I had a lot of hope for this game & having played the previous two (Oblivion until there was literally nothing left to do) Skyrim seemed like a no-brainer to me. Unfortunately, the game does not rise to meet expectations at all. Let me honestly say that I actually went about for the first while delibrately ignoring faults in this game - the dragon flicking to & from wire-frame repeatedlyI had a lot of hope for this game & having played the previous two (Oblivion until there was literally nothing left to do) Skyrim seemed like a no-brainer to me. Unfortunately, the game does not rise to meet expectations at all. Let me honestly say that I actually went about for the first while delibrately ignoring faults in this game - the dragon flicking to & from wire-frame repeatedly at the beginning, non-player-characters' movements being very stiff & odd looking, constant clipping with everything from seats half-sticking into walls to axes worn on NPC belts sticking through their coats & at times THEMSELVES, a woodcutter whose logs would stick to his axe as if magnetized! I really wanted to ignore this stuff (which you really shouldn't do - or HAVE to do) and enjoy the game and I did so semi-effectively for a few days of (not-solid) gameplay. But at every turn I found myself being pulled out of what was suposed to be an immersive game. Problems show up constantly like the fact that despite what level you are or how well armed or menacing you look your horse is apparently always going to look like the bigger threat to your enemies & so you often find yourself trying to get between your enemies and your horse to kept it from dying. And if you leave it at the bottom of a hill and go to fight a mob, be fully prepared for your horse to charge off past you and engage them, forcing you to use up stamina (which you need to do any decent weapon attack) so you can sprint forward & save your horse. This would be less annoying if it didn't happen all the time & didn't take the fun out of in-game fighting. You could argue that a horse would attack an aggressor or charge off against a perceived threat in real life, but to this I'd have to say: "if we're going to play at realism, then why can't a tether the bugger?!" But despite every bug that they didn't to fix from the last game (and there's a lot), & every new one that makes the game less & less fun, the worst is still the game's RECOGNITION. At one point, I was a Thane in a major city (a position of some serious importance). I asked my new housecarl (the follower given to a Thane) what it meant & she told me I was important to the community and had been recognised as such, for eg, "guards would know me & look the other way if I told them who I was". Well, this ability doesn't actually exist &, even tho I'm not stealing anything, when I use my SHOUT power guards regularly walk up & command me to stop - to which I can either wimpishly comply or dickishly stick my tongue out at them (verbally speaking). No option exists for them to know I'm a Thane & when I travel, having become Thane of a major city, the Fabled Dragonborn everyone is talking about, and the leader of the land's ancient & most famous mercenary group, to go & enlist under the rebel king - THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHO I AM! I'm treated like a nobody who has to prove himself all over again and is often referred to as "Unblooded" by name. By this point, many enemies go down with just one hit - so how am I unblooded exactly? But the worst thing of all, is that when I take news from the rebel king to the Jarl (earl) of the town I've set up in (the one where my Thane-ship and Mercenary status exist) he responds to me like he doesn't know me. And finally, when it comes down to the rebels versus my town, and I march on the town with my Housecarl (who owes allegiance to the Jarl) nothing is said, not a word of complaint, no segment where she protests at least a little about having to attack her own town, nothing (for a character who Bethesda said would feel like a "real, fleshed out person, not just a follower"). No one even comments on the idea of me attacking the place where I have set up so many roots, not even the Jarl when I face him down. In fact, the town isn't even damaged for a place we where just launching boulders at only moments before. Then the NEW Jarl says that to thank me he can give me a title - in fact, he can make me a Thane (hair-pulling out time!) and give me a housecarl (she's standing right behind you, numb-nuts!). This sucked out all realism for me & any feeling of accomplishment. Bethesda also said that as a guild leader you would always have something to do - this just turns out to be pest ctrl missions with the mission giver repeating the same phrase each time: "I've never seen a dragon before, are they real?" ("Yes, you just killed one a moment ago with me for the last mission!!"). The graphics constantly suffer faults even with everything at full on a high-end PC (don't get me started on that), the controls are extremely sub-par - the tip of the cursor & where the mouse will actually click are quite a surprising distance apart. All in all (& this is really just the tip of the iceberg) not enough testing was done, not enough effort was put in, it feels like half a game & plays like one too. Get it if it's £10 or $15. Otherwise, you WILL feel cheated. Expand
  28. Jan 13, 2014
    The game is very good, but crashes too often 2 years after release. It's disgusting and disrespectful for people, don't pay for it, let them learn this mistake.
  29. Aug 5, 2013
    This is with out a doubt the most over-hyped elder scrolls game. This game took what previous installments did right, and casualized it to a degree where it's almost not an RPG anymore. One of the best things about previous elder scrolls games was the class system WHICH WAS COMPLETELY REMOVED, this is done so that the player can "Play how they want to play" this ANNIHILATES the roleThis is with out a doubt the most over-hyped elder scrolls game. This game took what previous installments did right, and casualized it to a degree where it's almost not an RPG anymore. One of the best things about previous elder scrolls games was the class system WHICH WAS COMPLETELY REMOVED, this is done so that the player can "Play how they want to play" this ANNIHILATES the role playing element of the game near completely, because your character can be good at literally everything. The story line is very simple, and full of very lackluster characters, the ending of the game was so anti-climatic as well this just irks me to no end. The graphics are mediocre on PC, but this is easily remedied by the 2k texture pack. Also the lack of character development and impactful choices is just truly appalling compared to previous games. The guilds this time around are also extremely dumbed down and lack luster with the exception of a couple good quests.

Pros-

Lack of True Role playing
    Story
    Dumbed Down Guilds
    Casualized leveling
    Dragons are a worse "Gate" mechanic
    Overly rewards the player
  30. Dec 17, 2011
    Skyrim is a terrible role playing game. By now we all know about the horrid user interface, the relatively poor combat and magic systems, the disastrous implementation of dual wielding (that makes it, essentially, useless.) We know about buckets on heads and backward-flying Dragons. So I won't even take them into consideration, except to say Bethesda could have doneSkyrim is a terrible role playing game. By now we all know about the horrid user interface, the relatively poor combat and magic systems, the disastrous implementation of dual wielding (that makes it, essentially, useless.) We know about buckets on heads and backward-flying Dragons. So I won't even take them into consideration, except to say Bethesda could have done better....................And that is the overarching theme of Skyrim: Could have been better.................................................................................I came into this game not expecting much. It is, after all, a Bethesda game. And I am happy for that, because I didn't get much. No moral choices. No consequences for my character's actions. Speech skill isn't even something you can use. It just lowers prices at merchants. Loot is thrown at you constantly, level-ups are handed out like candy at a parade. There is no challenge, no feeling of accomplishment to completing tasks......................................Questing is, if anything, worse than in Oblivion. Literally everyone in the world has something they lost or need found, but no initiative to go and find it. This game is essentially one big fetch quest after another. Its sickening and disheartening..............................Still, as an action game based loosely on a narrative, with some role playing aspects, Skyrim sort of works. It has its moments. But as a true role playing game Skyrim is beyond terrible, and that is why, despite the things I like about the game, I am giving it only a 5. I am reviewing the game as the RPG it claimed to be and was not, as opposed to overlooking this significant bit of false advertising.........................Bugged launch, zero replay value, linear quest line, poor combat and terrible dialogue and writing (all in the Bethesda tradition) guarantee this will be the last Bethesda-developed game I ever purchase. Terrible developer with terrible writers. Expand

1. Feb 29, 2012
  2. Feb 14, 2012
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012