7.6

1. Jan 26, 2011
    Bottom-Line
    I would only and very much recommend this game to anyone who looks for an RTS that isn't trendy. If your more into killing, return to C&C or SC. It lightly delivers an RPG feel, has a great economic system, and unique way of going about the game from a military point of view. Not only does it provide objective based rules, there is a sandbox to try out new things for single and
    multiplayer. However, you have to weigh bugs, your patience, and an absent multiplayer(online) into playability of the game. However, the community has a way around the multiplayer through the use of third party programs that allow players to join games through their Lan. This is the first game I've tried of the series, so I can't compare/contrast of the others, but I have to say its a good play. I've played 75hours. I've paid sale price for this game and I definitely got my money's worth. Any game nearing 100 hours of enjoyable/challenging experience is no doubt in my opinion is something to definitely try out!

Youtube
    Tutorial on basics, quit whining about absent manual and enjoy gaming.
  2. Aug 11, 2011
    Yes, The Game is Buggy and the Graphics don't compare to newer games, but I have bought this for myself and 6 other friends and we have loved playing multiplayer together, we have been playing for 50+ hours and when it bugs out of sync we load the last save and keep going (Q is quick save, regular quicksaves solve all problems along with the 4.17 beta patch)

Anyone who doesn't recognise
    the brilliance of this game doesn't deserve to play it. I think of it as 50% The Sims, 50% The Settlers with a multiplayer mode and a great sandbox mode. Great Game! Expand
  3. May 17, 2011
    Rewarding fun game thats highly unusual even now. Its not for someone who would rather be playing Need for speed shift on an xbox but then, if you like that you probably wouldnt bother with pc gaming to start with. One thing to bear in mind. Its deep. There is a great deal to do and much minutae to deal with which can be a bit exasperating at times. But it is nice to have a nice open world and environment to play in and very few limitations if you have the time and strategy with which to back up your in game aspiration. Expand
  4. Jul 9, 2011
    After some patches this is a brilliant game. There are some bugs with npc not obtaining offices, but before you run into one really game-breaking bug you may spend days and days building your dynasty's empire. The gameplay is unique, there is no other title that could compete with this mix of rpg economy simulation. Awesome idea for a game witch some flaws in executions, but overall it is a decent title, significantly better then previous instalment of this title.ââ Expand
  5. Dec 16, 2011
    This game is addictive. It has a bit of of everything rolled into it. Simulation, RTS, Econ trader etc... If you like games similar to "The Patrician series", The Settlers, Dawn of Discovery and other games with classical settings you can't go wrong with this choice. It still has some bugs and I recommend going to Runeforge's website and getting the latest beta patch for it; it will help. Renaissance can be a bit slow paced for the modern gamer and it has a lot of balance issues among the classes. Rogues and scholars being the easiest groups to succeed with. A steep learning curve will put a lot of people off but it isn't really a hard game as much as there is just too little information on the net or in game to help you along. The maps aren't the best as they are small and poorly designed and most of the mods died with the Jowood forums when they tanked.

If you can find it in the $5-7 range it's worth a look.
  6. Mar 11, 2012
    The Guild 2: Renaissance does everything The Guild 2 does. Same graphics, same game mechanics and the same interface. It adds some new building types and some new maps to play on but there are still the game-breaking bugs that make you just want to just start over and hope the hospital's queue doesn't break this time around or that you won't be firebombed while the guard is stuck behind your property with no way of getting him loose. It still features the same tedious way of generating an income and the developer still prioritizes everything the AI does and shows over the user's input. Everything The Guild 2 does, save the graphics, could be executed as a text-only game and I think it'd be better off that way. As it stands, The Guild 2: Renaissance is a mildly entertaining but frustrating and often tedious The Sims knock-off. As one reviewer puts it; "The Guild II is a game which really emphasises the mundane realism of medieval life, almost down to the stench of the peasants."
    The Guild 2: Renaissance does not change any of that. Still, if you're new to The Guild Series you might as well start out with The Guild 2: Renaissance and never look back because it is the best of the worst.
  7. Nov 11, 2013
    This game had so much potential.

Great mix of RTS and RPG, undeniable charm but as the game lets you taste real fun it suddenly stops expanding on its fun concepts. Numerous bugs and just rough shape of the game did not throw me off. Nevertheless i was disappointed... not in the game but in its failure to reach its failure to realize its potential.

The franchise is worthy of
    existence and deserves to be remade by such developers as Paradox interactive. (as suggested by the fun base)

Be sure if you are willing to forgive the game its shortcomings you are going to spend numerous hours building your empire! It is truly a unique experience!
  8. JCB
    Feb 8, 2012
    Has a few big bugs, but nothing game breaking. Immersion breaking, sure, but nothing that'll kill your game. Also, it probably appeals to a very small group of people...definitely a niche game. But I personally love it, and it'd get a 10/10 if it weren't for the bugs.
  9. egn
    Feb 20, 2014
    This addon finally and fully realized the latent potential of The Guild, smoothing out a lot of the bumps that marred an otherwise-great game. The Whole bundle can be got on steam now for a really reasonable price: Well worth it.
  10. May 14, 2013
    I really love this game.because it shows the past people life and you can do a lot of things in this game.I recommend this game to every one
  11. Aug 5, 2013
    Hi this is my first review, The Guild 2: Renaissance is a standalone expansion and adds many things from buildings to maps and classes such as grave digger. I would not recommend this expansion as it's very buggy sometimes game breaking. I am a huge Guild 2 fan and love the game play, sadly The Guild 2: Renaissance has so many bugs if it's not some random audio freeze it's your player ends up stuck in some hospital bed glitched and can't more, the irony, on top of that your avartar will sometimes start shouting for the guards when the event related could be on the other side of the map, other times the avartar will start trying to attack another person who is not in the area making the avartar uncontrollable, if you are looking to play online you will be disappointing to find the servers are no longer running, something that was not mentioned when i paid for the game. Expand
  12. Sep 9, 2013
    A game which is very confusing. It is extremely buggy, quite small and clearly appealing to a very niche group of people............

BUT

I honestly find it brilliant. It's addictive mix of a Sims-esque game with medieval bite and political and economical career building makes this a hidden and quirky gem.

Well worth a Steam purchase if you can forgive the bugs.
  13. Dec 10, 2013
    This game and this series has massive potential that will probably never be realized by the industry. Fully patched with the latest Beta Patch and modded with the Legacy Mod it's a great game and a unique experience.

Unfortunately if you don't already know what you're looking for it's difficult to find what you need and the vanilla version of the game is practically unplayable and
    extremely buggy.

The original publisher and developers pretty much just abandoned the game in an almost unplayable state after releasing several expansions that didn't fix the bulk of what was wrong with it, and it seems Runeforge was just a fan driven mod team that decided to try to salvage the game and became the new official devs. They've done a pretty good job but it's not exactly made obvious where to get the Beta Patch and the Legacy Mod is also essential because there's a lot of stuff the Beta Patch doesn't solve.

1. The Guild 2: Renaissance retains the good features of previous editions and includes a few improvements without justifying the existence of this new version. It is still a fun title that does not require the original version to be installed, but should only be considered if you are a true follower of the series. Otherwise, you may have to wait for a collector's edition that may include all the previous titles.
  2. "Expansions" like this one should be released as patches or included as bonus in reprints of the original game.
  3. Although far from perfect, this stand-alone add-on delivers at least a thoroughly playable The Guild 2-experience. It adds some new professions and maps to the game that fit perfectly into the system. But most of all, the young developers have managed to eradicate most of the bugs of the main game and the horrible expansion Venice. Plus, the network code now actually works! There are still typical errors like trade carts being stuck or graphical glitches. But the developers have succeeded in carving out the core game experience of The Guild 2 under all of the bugs and design flaws of recent years.