7.5

1. Jul 23, 2012
    Don't listen to bad critics, the game is simply amazing, great voice acting, great story, great music, the only bad thing of this game is that its simply short, probably 2-3 hours of game , but come on, its first chapter, the price is even low for this game, some puzzles are easy and theres is a lot of good humor in the game, i enjoyed too much of this game and i dont really like Point n click, just give it a try, im sure you will find a piece of gold in Journey Down. Expand
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    Quite good, and even better now with the reduced price. I love the graphics, I love the music, and the gameplay is decent classic adventure fair. And the story is quite good, but really seemed to only give you a hint at what you will discover in episode 2.
  3. Jan 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. Full disclosure: I am not a big fan of puzzle games. The journey down has some slick design elements, good voice acting and seems well made with a lot of attention to detail. However it failed to engage me on any level. The first chapter is short and does not have a decent story arc or characters that rise above one-dimensional. The puzzles are weak and lack any kind of logic. (bread sticks for ladder rungs....really?) There should be some sense to a puzzle or else it is just arbitrary and pointless. The player should be able to figure it out rather that just button-mash within the limited options. (See Machinurium for how to do it right.) The exploration is also lacking. The avatar is slow, there are very few characters to interact with, the connectivity is poor and the areas are small. This game combines the worst of a rail shooter with the worst of a lame puzzler. Too bad because there many good elements as well; nice music good graphics. Nothing here to make me want to buy chapter two...regardless of price. Collapse
  4. Mar 19, 2013
    Great effort, love that the game is available on iOS and Mac OSX too, this game is a gem. Thanks for putting this together and making a REAL adventure that is worthy of Monkey Island, etc. Can't wait for the next episodes!
  5. Jan 10, 2013
    It seems to me that whoever gave this game more than 30 (3) never played Grim Fandango/Monkey Island/Deponia. All the jokes are overused and not one feels original. The main character give us bad dreams, it was a pain to look at him. You guys need to get creative people or name the game : Best of Adventure games.
    To say something positive, some of the backgrounds are really nice.
  6. Dec 3, 2013
    Pros: -Puzzles are logical and solvable -Unique characters and setting Cons: -2 hour long game! -The game doesn't have the same type of charm of other games of the genre. -Possibly too easy Conclusion: if the game is on sale on steam for a few bucks I'd recommend picking it up! I am excited for what is to come with the series. I like to think this is just a small glimpse and the puzzles, world, characters, and length of the game will all be expanded upon in chapters to come. Expand
  7. Jan 22, 2013

1. Mar 5, 2013
    A beautiful homage to Grim Fandango. Not perfect though – Chapter One is short, could be funnier and the choice of some of the voices is questionable. [CD-Action 03/2013, p.66]
  2. Jan 30, 2013
    After just one chapter, I'm not sure I'd put The Journey Down in the realm of classics like Grim Fandango, or with the best of its episodic contemporaries like The Walking Dead and Back to the Future. But it's worth the purchase price, and I will definitely keep an eye out for the next episode's release.
  3. Jan 18, 2013
    The Journey Down: Chapter One combines an intuitive control scheme, HD graphics, and classic point-and-click adventure gameplay to set up an intriguing story. The first episode lags a bit, and the voice acting doesn't add nearly as much as the improved visuals, but still shows a lot of promise for a potentially great series.