• Publisher: Funcom
  • Release Date: Nov 16, 2000
8.9

1. Feb 8, 2013
    I feel the need to write something since it seems like most people are just giving this insanely high scores. Why this game has become highly regarded through the years has always been somewhat of a mystery to me it is one of the last big adventure games published in the `90s, and one of the most widely distributed (I think it's large retail footprint, after Sierra Lucasarts had mostlyI feel the need to write something since it seems like most people are just giving this insanely high scores. Why this game has become highly regarded through the years has always been somewhat of a mystery to me it is one of the last big adventure games published in the `90s, and one of the most widely distributed (I think it's large retail footprint, after Sierra Lucasarts had mostly left the adventure game, contribued a lot to it's success, I think).

I don't mind old-school graphics, but they are from a cringe-worthy era of pre-rendered 3d be warned. The gameplay controls also have not-so-bad quirks.

The story was vaguely interesting, and gripping at times, but extremely slow-paced, and long there are definitely good bits here, but relative to other adventure games from Sierra/Lucasarts/Wadjet Eye or even Telltale... I am just baffled by the ratings this gets. There are many more important classic games to play through and ones that have stood up much better.
  2. WoutT
    May 9, 2008
    One problem with the game is that it is extremely lineair: If you figure out hints before the game wants you to, you still have to click the right thingy or start the right dialogue to continue. About 60% of the dialogues is extra reading not needed to understand the story or the assignments, which is a pain because the store is rather boring, certainly not intriguently sophisticated or One problem with the game is that it is extremely lineair: If you figure out hints before the game wants you to, you still have to click the right thingy or start the right dialogue to continue. About 60% of the dialogues is extra reading not needed to understand the story or the assignments, which is a pain because the store is rather boring, certainly not intriguently sophisticated or intelligent like Myst. Characters have a deep level of depth, but share out a lot of unneeded information. Puzzles are often unlogical and relay heavy on trial and error. The biggest problem however is the fact that the playstyle is slow to the extreme. Click item 1, walk map A (15secs) map B (20 sec), click item 2, walk map C (20secs) etc etc. Just trying out one idea might take you more than three minutes. If you add dozen lines of text, you can see that the game was created for the story, rather than the other way around. This is bad, because you tend to figure things out faster than the game let you play. Expand
  3. Dude
    Dec 28, 2007
    This game is so overhyped. The graphics are horrible, HORRIBLE. The pre-rendered backgrounds are nothing special especially for the year it got released. The future/fantasy story is so lame, it gets you confused quickly and then ask yourself: do you really care? Does it really matter if the girl is from some prophecy? It's all so predictable and with each new development is becomes This game is so overhyped. The graphics are horrible, HORRIBLE. The pre-rendered backgrounds are nothing special especially for the year it got released. The future/fantasy story is so lame, it gets you confused quickly and then ask yourself: do you really care? Does it really matter if the girl is from some prophecy? It's all so predictable and with each new development is becomes ridicilous. All characters are idiots, from the guy in the border house to the mechanic hiding out - worse is the crow. The only reason I tried this is because of its high score here, what a letdown that all these reviewers could get it so wrong. Expand
  4. BarbesV.
    Dec 16, 2001
    Boring, boring, boring! Endless, ongoing dialogues hold up the game too long, as well as the endless walks from one place to the other and back again. After chapter 4, I just couldn't stand it any more!
  5. ShawnM
    Jul 31, 2009
    This game is crap.If a crap could crap and its crap could crap and make a game, this would be it. This is the epitimy of crapstains on adventure gaming. Do not buy this game. Take a chick flick and turn it into a game and Dreamfall is what you get. First of all the story is way to confusing and boring to care about it (spoiler alert) the first hour of the game is (no kidding and I quote) This game is crap.If a crap could crap and its crap could crap and make a game, this would be it. This is the epitimy of crapstains on adventure gaming. Do not buy this game. Take a chick flick and turn it into a game and Dreamfall is what you get. First of all the story is way to confusing and boring to care about it (spoiler alert) the first hour of the game is (no kidding and I quote) "My dad is away so lets throw a party". After wasting an hour and getting some drama with the main characters ex getting abducted blah blah blah chick crap blah blah blah. She is set after him-I stopped playing here because of sheer boredom. I literally wasted 3 hours just to get there. The fighting is terrible, and there is like 10 fight scenes in the game thats going to last forever.My advice? Skip this game and pick up Oblivion, because that had a good story. Collapse
  6. ShawnT.
    Jun 30, 2007
    This is the lamest game ever invented the only reason why i bought it is because it got such a high metascore. Please do not buy this game unless you are looking for something to help you fall asleep. Trust me this is a stupid game and you will hate it. I have played thousands of games and this one falls at the bottom of my list. I wish I could get my money back!
  7. Oct 25, 2013
    Worst game ever yo. I heard that this one is all about magic, and science and so I tapped it instantly, only to find out that not only you can't blow up stuff with this one, but you don't even have a decent inventory. Instead it's a walk and talk simulator, how boring is that. And whats with the graphics yo, seriously, it's like worse than Counter Strike, how is this even possible, oh myWorst game ever yo. I heard that this one is all about magic, and science and so I tapped it instantly, only to find out that not only you can't blow up stuff with this one, but you don't even have a decent inventory. Instead it's a walk and talk simulator, how boring is that. And whats with the graphics yo, seriously, it's like worse than Counter Strike, how is this even possible, oh my God. I mean look at this, they did not even tried to make it look better, how amatoerish they are. The plus side is that poor people who can't even afford video cards can run it too. 10/10 would play Mass Effect instead, seriously just skip this one guys, even games on my mums ancient iPhone 3 looks better. Expand

1. TLJ is a masterpiece and one of the best Adventures to be released during the past few years. Unfortunately it should be avoided by people who are violently repelled, for themselves or their offspring, by some extremely crude language.
    The powerful story affects you as it unfolds and by the end you will be drained--your life will never be the same again. This game could do to adventure games, what Doom did for the FPS. A must buy for anyone and everyone.
    This game does more than just recreate the nostalgic experience of old school adventure gaming, it actually reinvents how stories can be told in the medium, and gives us a glimpse of what we can expect in the years to come.