7.5

1. M.Braun
    Mar 25, 2006
    Bad performance caused by bad programming, very unbalanced units, online almost not possible not to rush - online games are to 90% about 15-20 minutes long. Heroes too strong for the relative cheap price.
  2. Aug 7, 2012
    After playing and enjoying the first Battle for Middle Earth, I was excited about this game, but ultimately was disappointed. The game succeeds in taking us to previously-unseen places and allowing us to command new forces, but for all the glamour I never found it particularly compelling. I suppose that's what happens when it lacks the known characters of the original but fails to createAfter playing and enjoying the first Battle for Middle Earth, I was excited about this game, but ultimately was disappointed. The game succeeds in taking us to previously-unseen places and allowing us to command new forces, but for all the glamour I never found it particularly compelling. I suppose that's what happens when it lacks the known characters of the original but fails to create new memorable characters or story. I did like that unlike its predecessor this game allows you to (mostly) freely build structures instead of using nodes, but this is small comfort. This was definitely a game that I finished more out of duty than enjoyment. Expand
  3. anonymous
    Mar 12, 2006
    hey well the truble is this game does look v.gd just a pity it keeps crashing on me. ive duble cheked my pc n it meets all the requirments and the fign is i can actually do and watch everthing. i can even create me own hero. but when i try and play the actual game it crashs wtf. am i da only person this is appening 2????
  4. Jason
    Sep 12, 2008
    I have mixed feelings about this game. The free-build for the game was nice, but it ran into problems, since resources took up a HUGE portion of the map. Perhaps this was done to make the games longer, but for me, I spend a lot of early time building resource buildings so I can build (and maintain) an army and then I have to spend a lot of time defending huge tracts of land. I liked I have mixed feelings about this game. The free-build for the game was nice, but it ran into problems, since resources took up a HUGE portion of the map. Perhaps this was done to make the games longer, but for me, I spend a lot of early time building resource buildings so I can build (and maintain) an army and then I have to spend a lot of time defending huge tracts of land. I liked building the huge fortresses of BFME1 better. The addition of the new races makes it a bit more fun (although the Men of the West are basically Gondor and Rohan combined) but they also have some frustrating imbalance issues. For instance, a dwarven axe thrower has a longer range than any other ranged unit that I've seen (even Gondor Rangers). The lack of customization on the Create-A-Hero was a little bit of a letdown for me. You can customize the armor, but there's nothing you can do about the face, and even then, there's only about 4 or 5 armor selections to choose from. I also didn't like the fact that when I tried to attack a territory with my Create-A-Hero in the War of the Ring mode, it wouldn't do it, for whatever reason. A bug? Intentional? I have no idea, but it kind of ruined that aspect of the game for me. The War of the Ring concept is interesting, but really like the Dawn of War: Dark Crusade idea (and I think DoW did it better). However, the mythology and the scope of the game are great and you can get a lot of replayability with it. I'd say just nerf the "superheroes" (e.g. Gimli was able to take down three of my heroes, all level 2, my entire army of about 5 or 6 squads of various types, all at level 1...), patch the War of the Ring to let custom heroes invade territories, and shorten the range of the Dwarven Axe Throwers, and I say the game would get at least an 8. Expand
  5. Oct 11, 2013
    This game is a sheer joy to play. They did a lot of things right in this game like the sound effects and the semi-RPG elements with the units and character, but they also did a lot of things wrong like the "power up" ability. 1st off they take way too long to recharge and also they are really expensive so you'll generally have to wait a long time before you can buy another one.
  6. Mar 8, 2013
    The sequel to the incredible Battle for Middle-Earth. I don't really believe the game is anywhere near as good as its predecessor. The campaign modes are mediocre, at best, but the Skirmish and the create-a-character bring some new stuff into this game. I also really don't like the way the factions are decided (Humans, Elves, Dwarves, etc.). I prefer the old style of the original gameThe sequel to the incredible Battle for Middle-Earth. I don't really believe the game is anywhere near as good as its predecessor. The campaign modes are mediocre, at best, but the Skirmish and the create-a-character bring some new stuff into this game. I also really don't like the way the factions are decided (Humans, Elves, Dwarves, etc.). I prefer the old style of the original game (Mordor, Isengard, Rohan, Gondor). I also prefer the idea of their being castles instead of having fortresses with builders. Overall, okay game, but nowhere near as good as the original. Expand

1. While Battle for Middle Earth 2 has taken a step back from its more avant-garde predecessor, it's a welcome one. If it wasn't for the woefully sub-par AI, this game would earn an easy, unreserved recommendation. But rolling over the AI time and time again in single-player just gets old, and if you don't have the appetite for online play, you'll end up pushing it to the back of the drawer and hoping for a patch.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Innovative, fun to play and a joy to watch. A breath of fresh air in the stale real-time strategy genre. [Mar 2006]
  3. The Battle for Middle-earth II improves on 2004's game with a better strategic mode and a much broader scope that encompasses the whole of Middle-earth.