9.4

1. DannyV.V.
    Oct 18, 2007
    This box is downright awesome. Portal is the most innovating game ever, everyone already knows that half-life 2 is amazing, and so are episodes one and two. Team fortress 2 is also a blast.
  2. BrandonT.
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sorry to those who dislike Valve, for what most likely small crowd that may be, but this is just what to expect from the popular gaming company these days. They've nailed what gamers desire in a game. Not only have they developed what I think to be the greatest FPS of all time, Half-Life 2, they've been able to break into a whole new style of gaming with Portal, and its just Sorry to those who dislike Valve, for what most likely small crowd that may be, but this is just what to expect from the popular gaming company these days. They've nailed what gamers desire in a game. Not only have they developed what I think to be the greatest FPS of all time, Half-Life 2, they've been able to break into a whole new style of gaming with Portal, and its just magnificent. Toss in a refreshed Team Fortress 2, been a while since something has been done with that one, and you've got a rock-solid gaming package for any gamer, casual to the most experienced. It's hard to expect anything less than this from Valve. Anyone looking for a well-rounded mix of games, The Orange Box should be your first choice. Great work, Valve! Expand
  3. TimW.
    Dec 11, 2007
    Perfect. This Pack is seriously the best money I've spent since I got a PC. TF2 is the best in between things multiplayer game ever, you can jump on for 15 minutes, have a blast and jump out -- no long round times waiting. Ep2 while not perfect, is still the continuation of a wonderful story. Portal is the best single player game I've played (and funny to boot) since Half-Life. Perfect. This Pack is seriously the best money I've spent since I got a PC. TF2 is the best in between things multiplayer game ever, you can jump on for 15 minutes, have a blast and jump out -- no long round times waiting. Ep2 while not perfect, is still the continuation of a wonderful story. Portal is the best single player game I've played (and funny to boot) since Half-Life. Added bonus of HL2 + HL2 Ep1. Expand
  4. ChrisN.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Portals was the most fun I've had playing a videogame in so long.. And it honestly has the best ending credits song.. Ever.
  5. T.S.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Portals, Ep. 2, TFT2, Ep 1, HL 2. Under $60. PERFECT PACKAGE. The HL series revolutionized AI in a way which had never been thought of and the physics engine is still being used years after coming out. The reason PC gamers feel superior to console gamers is now out and some of those poor folk stuck to gamepads are going to join the crazy folk with their keyboards and mice. A facelift Portals, Ep. 2, TFT2, Ep 1, HL 2. Under $60. PERFECT PACKAGE. The HL series revolutionized AI in a way which had never been thought of and the physics engine is still being used years after coming out. The reason PC gamers feel superior to console gamers is now out and some of those poor folk stuck to gamepads are going to join the crazy folk with their keyboards and mice. A facelift gives the newest additions to the HL franchise the graphics update they sorely need while the intense firefights, perfect sound design (sans the music. Never could get behind that damned score) and moments which put Oscar winning movies to shame with their virtual performances, makes HL the king of the FPS hill. I understand Messiah L.'s opinion. Some people hate steam. This is irrelevant. I hate most retail stores, does that mean I am going to give a game a lower score? HL 2 is the definitive reason for sticking to PCs and is a must buy for any gamer. Expand
  6. AndrewS.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Definitely worthy of 10/10, the Orange Box combines 5 great games for the price of one! Even if you only want two of the games in this package, buy it! Portal is the GREATEST game that I've ever played even though its so short, and EP2 is awesome. TF2 is the best multiplayer game that I've ever played because all the classes are fun and balanced.
  7. Adam
    Sep 27, 2007
    I can't comment on Portal or Episode 2, but Team Fortress 2 is what this genre is missing... a seriously fun and competitive multi-player oriented FPS.

Some people who claim to be old-school TFC players will cringe at the differences. But most of those people don't even realize how much TFC was against the grain of the first quake based iterations. Unlike Source versions of classic mods like Counter-Strike or Day of Defeat, TF2 has straight out declared superiority over it's predecessor.
  8. redninja
    Nov 12, 2008
    I love this game. Best game and deal I've had the pleasure of playing. Much better than FPSs like the overrated Halo 2, Star Wars Repulic Comando and GoldenEye IMO. Half-life 2 is Awsome, Half-Life 2 Episode 1 is awsome, Team Fortress 2's awsome, and Protal's awsome (I haven't played Episode 2 yet if you're wandering.) Get it NOW if you don't have it.
  9. MikeZ.
    Feb 24, 2008
    Portal is one of the best puzzle games ever, Team Fortress 2 one of if not the best multiplayer shooters ever, and Episode Two is an awesome addition to an awesome series.
  10. RonaldA.
    Apr 14, 2008
    Orange box is the best for the best value ever!!
  11. CallumL.
    Jun 21, 2008
    By far the best gaming deal of all time I highly recomend it to anyone its great espeacially the new team fortress2 updates they rock!!!
  12. JohnR
    Nov 13, 2009
    I've only just now finished Half-Life 2 and have to admit, despite being an old-school PC gamer and a fan mainly of RPGs and RTSs, that this game has to go down as one of the best I've ever played. My gripe is that, while The Orange Box is undoubtedly superb value - only the Infinity Engine compilations can rival it - it isn't really a game as such and shouldn't be I've only just now finished Half-Life 2 and have to admit, despite being an old-school PC gamer and a fan mainly of RPGs and RTSs, that this game has to go down as one of the best I've ever played. My gripe is that, while The Orange Box is undoubtedly superb value - only the Infinity Engine compilations can rival it - it isn't really a game as such and shouldn't be given a metacritic ranking of its own. Instead it's a compilation of games (Half-Life 2 + Episodes One and Two ; Portal and Team Fortress), the others already having their own separate rankings. All the same I'd advise anyone who has never played Half-Life 2 to get The Orange Box. Expand
  13. JeffG
    Aug 15, 2009
    The absolute best you can do with $30. 5 games, and I give a perfect 10 to every single one of them. I'll just give a short review of each game, shall I? Half-Life 2: The environments are all incredibly engaging and give that perfect feeling of eerie loneliness. The story is beautiful, it unfolds subtly, yet has a great impact. The characters are all beautifully designed and The absolute best you can do with $30. 5 games, and I give a perfect 10 to every single one of them. I'll just give a short review of each game, shall I? Half-Life 2: The environments are all incredibly engaging and give that perfect feeling of eerie loneliness. The story is beautiful, it unfolds subtly, yet has a great impact. The characters are all beautifully designed and interactions between them feel 100% real. Not only that, you find yourself genuinely caring about them. The pacing is phenomenal, the graphics still look great 5 years later. I could go on and on, but I'll just leave it at "Half-Life 2 is the absolute best game ever". Half-Life 2 Episodes 1 and 2: Episode 1 did a very good job of creating a scary environment environment, and the addition of Alyx as a companion makes the trek very fun. As I said, you really care for her, and her AI is the best there is anywhere. She seems totally real, and you begin to feel very glad you have her with you. The environment in Episode 2 was also fantastic, taking place in beautiful (yet eerily lonely) rural areas, and the open world battle at the end felt truly epic thanks to the inclusion of destructible environments. Portal: The story is perfect, the puzzles are a ton of fun, and the black humor is absolutely hilarious. The journey through the abandoned (And eerily lonely, damn Valve is good at that) Aperture research facility is gripping, and the ending battle is both epic and hilarious. There are absolutely no flaws in Portal. One could complain about length, but there are so many beautifully realized community made mappacks for it that you could play nonstop for a year and still have new content you haven't touched yet. Team Fortress 2: Incredible game, what all multiplayer games should be. The classes are all very different from each other, each requiring entirely different tactics, and they balance each other out perfectly. For example, the Heavy can mow down an entire team with his minigun, but he can easily be taken out by a single Spy. The game's unique design ensures that it will still look great 10 years from now. The characters are all incredibly charismatic and funny, and you can tell a lot of heart went into making the game. Expand
  14. JoshW.
    Nov 13, 2007
    This is perhaps the best deal in gaming ever, an aspect commonly overlooked when producing a game, and it doesnt just win there, superb top par graphics STILL after so many years, amazingly easy to run. Each game packed full of excitement, action and "WOW!", the new cinematic physics system really showing its prowess in Portal and HL2, and Team Fortress being a great online addition to This is perhaps the best deal in gaming ever, an aspect commonly overlooked when producing a game, and it doesnt just win there, superb top par graphics STILL after so many years, amazingly easy to run. Each game packed full of excitement, action and "WOW!", the new cinematic physics system really showing its prowess in Portal and HL2, and Team Fortress being a great online addition to their growing list of source based mp titles. Portal is fun throughout, and is an innovative fps experience, HL2EP2 continues where the game left on, and with amazing graphics, continued immersive gameplay and truely groundbreaking cinematic physics - this game is the most polished i have played this year. Truely remarkable. This is just a must buy for any pc owner, with a spec that even settles on low. Expand
  15. AlexM.
    Dec 23, 2007
    Every game in the Orange box is great gaming expierience. Portal is much better than i thought before buying, because of the extreme new gameplay. Team Fortress 2 is just fun to play and Episode Two is another well done Half Life part.
  16. Jan 30, 2013
    This is the best game package ever released. comprising of Halflife 2, Halflife 2 episode 1, and Halflife 2 episode 2, the multiplayer game Team Fortress 2, and the puzzle game Portal. Halflife 2 episode 2 was great, as expected, but that wasn't the best part of it. Team Fortress 2 is possible the best (now free) multiplayer shooter. The personalities of the 9 classes are quite funny. LastThis is the best game package ever released. comprising of Halflife 2, Halflife 2 episode 1, and Halflife 2 episode 2, the multiplayer game Team Fortress 2, and the puzzle game Portal. Halflife 2 episode 2 was great, as expected, but that wasn't the best part of it. Team Fortress 2 is possible the best (now free) multiplayer shooter. The personalities of the 9 classes are quite funny. Last but not least, there's Portal. Is there anything I can say about portal? This is probably the best puzzle game ever created. The entire thing might be 2-3 hours long, but with this, it's quality over quantity.
    I recommend buying this package on Steam because Portal and the Half life 2 games are cheap, and team fortress 2 is now free.
  17. Aug 1, 2013
    After playing over 40 hours on Portal alone, and 13 hours on Half-Life 2 not even half way through, I can say that this was my money well spent. If you're looking for a game with imaginative and fresh puzzles, Portal will be a great game that will give you hours of enjoyment with multiple levels and challenges. The Half-Life 2 games have a great story line and some great voice actors whichAfter playing over 40 hours on Portal alone, and 13 hours on Half-Life 2 not even half way through, I can say that this was my money well spent. If you're looking for a game with imaginative and fresh puzzles, Portal will be a great game that will give you hours of enjoyment with multiple levels and challenges. The Half-Life 2 games have a great story line and some great voice actors which really immerse you in the gameplay. However, saying that, the gameplay is pretty standard and can sometimes get a little repetitive after playing all 3 of the Half-Life 2 games in quick succession. Finally, Team Fortress 2. If you have ever played TF2 on either the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3, the game on the computer is nothing like them. You have a range of level and missions which I believe aren't on the console version, there is a global population of people playing at all times and can trade between other players to receive a massive amount of weapons... and hats.
    Pro's: A wide range of games and genres, provide entertainment for hours on end and has a great community of gamers.
    Con's: Some repetitive gameplay and some puzzling puzzles.

1. Leave it to Valve to deliver the goods on such an ambitious game package...The Orange Box is one of the finest compilations of gaming content ever produced. [Nov 2007, p.58]
    Not only do you get the best single player first person shooter ever created, you also get the two next chapters, a 3D puzzle game that also happens to live in the Half-Life universe and a terrifically fun team-based multiplayer first-person shooter. This is a lot of game in one package for only 50 dollars.
    The Orange Box offers everything any fan of first-person shooters could possibly want: some of the best single-player gaming ever in the shape of Half-Life 2 and Episodes One and Two; wonderful innovation from Portal, and the most refined, downright fun team-based online FPS currently available in Team Fortress 2. If that doesn't warrant a 10 out of 10, nothing does.