The Saboteur PC

8.0

1. Mar 29, 2013
    I had an alright time with the Saboteur. The game doesn't really excel in any area but it doesn't crash and burn in any area either. The story is alright, the action is alright, the climbing works alright and the cars handles alright. But the game is overall a little bit rough around the edges and nothing really stands out. I did enjoy the ability to disguise myself even though it couldI had an alright time with the Saboteur. The game doesn't really excel in any area but it doesn't crash and burn in any area either. The story is alright, the action is alright, the climbing works alright and the cars handles alright. But the game is overall a little bit rough around the edges and nothing really stands out. I did enjoy the ability to disguise myself even though it could have been executed better. I also really enjoyed the setting and the visual design in the game. It is also quite fun to run over cows in the game. The campaign should take you around 10 hours to complete and its for the most part quite good. The missions could have been a little more varied and the general gameplay gets a little bit repetitive in the end but for the most part it feels alright. I don't wish to sound too negative since i had some fun with this game. I believe that the game is a quite average free roaming game. That doesn't mean that the game is bad and if you have an interest in the setting, happens to find it for a cheap price or if you simply are a fan of the genre then i would definitely recommend this game. Expand
  2. Apr 17, 2013
    This game is like a crossbreed between GTA and Assassins Creed only set in France. Starts off with a noir-esque style where most of the game is black and white until you slowly gather support and colour a well done Paris and france. The story is not the best and at times will force you a not really good driving mechanic with a race or two. The open world and just messing around with stuffThis game is like a crossbreed between GTA and Assassins Creed only set in France. Starts off with a noir-esque style where most of the game is black and white until you slowly gather support and colour a well done Paris and france. The story is not the best and at times will force you a not really good driving mechanic with a race or two. The open world and just messing around with stuff really charms you though. Expand
  3. StuW.
    Jan 28, 2010
    There are still issues with ATi cards. Ive installed the beta 1.3 patch and during the black and white scenes there are texture issues. There are also weird little glitches where AI controlled cars will drive over each other and flip over make the world seem a little unrealistic. All that said, these glitches do not make the game unplayable. The gameplay is fun, albeit a little There are still issues with ATi cards. Ive installed the beta 1.3 patch and during the black and white scenes there are texture issues. There are also weird little glitches where AI controlled cars will drive over each other and flip over make the world seem a little unrealistic. All that said, these glitches do not make the game unplayable. The gameplay is fun, albeit a little repetitive. I would recommend the game overall, I hope with further patching the glitches would be solved. Expand
  4. FrankG
    Dec 12, 2009
    The Saboteur is just another mediocre game from Pandemic Studios. The concept and the history is interesting but unfortunately it has many bugs and the gameplay is not good. Avoid it.
  5. NickN.
    Jan 31, 2010
    Very engaging beginning for me. But it gets slow and kinda gets boring blowing shit up for 5 hours. all around i had a ton of fun.
  6. AlvinC
    Dec 18, 2009
    This game seems way under rated. It really is a shame it doesn't run properly with ATI cards but then again I have a NVIDIA card adn it runs fine. The game itself deserves a 7 or 8, it's not the most innovative and ground breaking game ever but it sure is alot of fun and is definately worth getting.
  7. Steinar
    Dec 30, 2009
    This game is a mix between Assassins Creed and GTA. I love both of those games so i liked this aswell, but it doesnt quite reach up to their quality. So if theyd just use a little bit more time this would be one of my favorites. Also i wish there were more missions
  8. Jun 5, 2012
    Tsk, tsk. Such a great concept but such a poor execution. Let me say this up front: Sean Devlin is my runner up for the most memorable video character of all time. His dialogue and characterization is brilliant. He's funny, clever, brazen and a total potty-mouth. What more could you want?! His character makes the game. Everything else in The Saboteur is a knock-off of theTsk, tsk. Such a great concept but such a poor execution. Let me say this up front: Sean Devlin is my runner up for the most memorable video character of all time. His dialogue and characterization is brilliant. He's funny, clever, brazen and a total potty-mouth. What more could you want?! His character makes the game. Everything else in The Saboteur is a knock-off of the Assassin's Creed and Batman games just poorly programmed. This game is chock-full of glitches, tedious mission design and unbalanced gameplay. The controls are sticky causing movement to be tricky when traversing and climbing buildings. This ruins the few fun missions and races and causes a lot of frustration. To be fair, Saboteur has some good qualities. Aside from Devlin, the other voice actors are great and very convincing. The music is beautiful and the sound effects / foley are excellent. The designs of the cars and military hardware are spot on and the environments are simply stunning and life-like. With all these good qualities they make playing Saboteur tolerable. It's just damn shame that the negatives are there to begin with. Quality control people!!! Expand
  9. Feb 2, 2016
    The Saboteur is some sort of a mediocre-wannabe-GTA-and-or-Assassins-Creed.
    Some would argue and be mad with this statement, for various reasons.
    Yet, that's the feeling this game gives. You can't escape it, no matter what. Is it doing a good job mimicking the two titles I just mentioned? It does not. Is it a good, fun game on its own? Hell yeah. While not being everyone's cup of
    The Saboteur is some sort of a mediocre-wannabe-GTA-and-or-Assassins-Creed.
    Some would argue and be mad with this statement, for various reasons.
    Yet, that's the feeling this game gives. You can't escape it, no matter what.

Is it doing a good job mimicking the two titles I just mentioned? It does not.
    Is it a good, fun game on its own? Hell yeah.
    While not being everyone's cup of tea, The Saboteur does some stuff right, and was enough for an enjoyable experience through most of the 26 hours I spent playing it.

The Story&Cast: Saboteur is taking place in France during the days of WWII. I won't spoil too much, basically you're a part of the resistance against the nazis. There's some more to it as you'll see early in the game, some personal stuff.
    The game also begins with a pair of boobies right at the beginning, and our story actually begins in a brothel. There's also some sexy british agent, and also a "nudity" setting in the options menu. All these conspire to give the game a "sexy" shade. But no. There's really nothing sexy about it. Just your old ordinary Nazi resistance stuff.
    Anyway, while the story wasn't disastrous I didn't find it too charming, with a slightly slouchy beginning to a rather mundane road, and, and better and serviceable 3rd and final act to the story, it simply wasn't the main attraction here.
    The script was nifty at times but the characters themselves were very "dry" and highly uninteresting. The voice-overs were a little annoying, even though there were good accents (british, german, french, and **** IRISH!), the acting just didn't do any good to the game, aside from the one of Sean Devlin perhaps (which is the main protagonist and currently my favorite irishman).

The Gameplay: Saboteur doesn't really decide what it wants to be, and that might feel both good and bad at times. As you get into the shoes of Sean, you'll go through a rather long prologue which seemingly never ends. Why's that? Because it presents to you all of the game's concepts and aspects, and that's exactly the point where you can see that the developers may have crammed too many genres into one product, as you'll be introduced to the winning combo of The Saboteur- Racing, Parkour, Stealth, Killing. Many of your missions will include SOME elements of SOME of the big words I've just mentioned.

The Saboteur would offer you story and side missions with the usual NPCs recipe, and also the freeplay targets, which are mainly some Nazis' stuff you'd want to blow. Oh, and you can collect cars as well. And there are also "perks" which serve as some sort of achievements and would reward you, depends on the achievement (e.g. you get an awesome racing car for winning all the races, you get a certain fighting move for killing a certain number of nazis. this type of things).

The Longevity: With everything mentioned above, you'd get hours of gameplay. I've completed the story with all side missions in 26 hours, and only did 31% of the freeplay targets, didn't collect all cars, didn't get all the perks as well. Now the million dollar question is whether you'd want to do these things or not!

The Graphics: Here comes a nice concept of The Saboteur. While the graphics themselves are nice but not top-notch, they hold a beautiful vision of France of the 2nd WW, and, large portions of the map would be black&white. These portions represent areas where there's no resistance to the nazis. As you'd progress through the game the b&w would transition into beautiful pallet of colors. The idea is very original and was certainly nice to watch.

The Soundtrack: Was quite nice, ranged from dramatic symphonic stuff in action sequences to a very fitting and easy-listening songs playing while you drive with your car through Paris. It felt like much of the music was recycled throughout the game, which is a thing I really hate when done in video games, but here it just flowed nicely.

The Atmosphere: Is definitely very worthy and well done, the visuals, sounds, colors, people, scenery, everything merges perfectly into a lively noir-France, and that's one of the things which kept me going with the game.

Technical **** Game's not innocent when it comes to technical bugs, the controls are clunky in a way and take some getting used to, and lots of crashing and stumbling upon walls. Also, AI gets VERY expected, and ranges inconsistently from simply stupid to horribly sharp. But, as you 'get' the game you can get used to it all.

Execution&Summary: Saboteur does some nice job in many aspects of video-game creation. Too bad it fell into the trap of screaming at you ASSASSINS CREED through the screen, therefore making itself pale beside the titles it tries to copy, in a way. Unfortunately it does feel at times that there are too many ideas and concepts in this one single product, some are well done and some are half baked.
    Still, the atmosphere and uniqueness the game has is worth it.

1. The Saboteur may lack the polish of the contemporaries it boldly mimics, but protagonist Sean Devlin’s quest for revenge and an alluring 1940s Paris make this a World War II memory worth making.
  2. As addictive as the perk goals are, it's the bread-and-butter sabotage that proves to be the real distraction.
  3. A compelling if uninventive experience. Working in concert, this game's tired, uninspired mechanics still manage to get the job done; the whole is definitely more than the sum of its parts.