8.2

1. Jul 3, 2012
    I was amazed how well the launch went. Experienced no lag even in playfields packed with people.
    The ability wheel is a challenge, but gives so many options to make a build that suit you.
  2. Jul 4, 2012
    It is a long time since i liked a game as much as I like this one. I love the atmosphere. Everything feels alive. The enemies does not stand around looking stupid untill you get to a certain distance. They are actually busy doing something else! I love that you actually have to investigate and think to finish a quest. I actually had to "learn" morse-code in a quest to finish it..... Ok i ended up downloading a program that decoded the morse for me. But i had to figure out the program and stuff I liked it alot. You really feel smart when you figure something out. Very challenging. Have not felt similar since Portal. But Portal was not as exiting. Expand
  3. Jul 3, 2012
    Other MMOs may have better combat but no MMO to date can compete with the Quests in The Secret World. The investigation quest are especially great but the game play and quest blend seamless
  4. Jul 3, 2012
    The best mmorpg! Great pvp, perfect PVE! I'm really, really HAPPY! The Secret World very bytiful! I love it!
    Tampliers RULEZZZ!!!! And SerbeRUS best pvp server ;)

From Russia with Love
  5. Jul 3, 2012
    Beautiful world design. Rich story content with highly interesting non-player characters and excellent voice acting. Fun combat that keeps you on your toes. There is a learning curve for character development because there are no levels or classes like in a typical MMO. There is a learning curve for doing some of the in-game quests since they are not typical MMO questing. It is not a WoW clone. Rewarding game for folks who put in the time to understand what Funcom has built for them. I definitely recommend this game. Expand
  6. Jul 3, 2012
    Great game. It stand out as a wonderful addition to all the other mmos. If you are into shotguns and secrets instead of elf and orcs, this is your game. Its still a classical mmo, but the feeling is fresh. Funcom have learned from the Conan scandal and here we see something much better. Great way to spend the time.
  7. Jul 4, 2012
    A fantastic MMORPG.
    With the right attention aand development, can compete in the MMO market.
    The game has an interesting and dynamic world and story, and feels good to play.
  8. Jul 4, 2012
    I had seen a preview of this game about a year ago when I was downloading the revamped Age of Conan from Funcom and thought it would be the game for me in the future. I didn't have a chance to play in the beta, but I tried to keep abreast of what players of the game thought through various third party sites. I downloaded and installed the game on the release date and began my adventure as a Dragon. I just have to say that I was blown away by the rather proficient way the character I had chosen is by degrees drawn in to his adventure. Modern gamers and people in general have 'seen it all before' when it comes to cinematics and attempts at theater, so there is already an inoculation against immersion conditioned into us by environmental factors. But I have to say that the credit to the opening sequences is that it has the power of mystery to draw one in to an otherwise unknown world of lore. I say this in contrast to the games of LotRo and SWtOR, and to a lesser extent WAR, where there is an already established franchise that can at times impede player expectations and directs gameplay in directions that would otherwise appear artificial. The first hub, Kingsmouth, appears menacing and I will say that since I did not have all the time in the world to explore it, I am unsure as to how much open terrain there is there. It appeared that it was fairly open, with possibilities of exploration when I have the chance. One nice feature is that there are some 'easter egg' style missions scattered about. This is what suggests to me that the game will not be an on rails theme park style journey. I like that.
    I haven't had a chance to group up with others, though there were quite a few players in the opening zone yesterday. Chat channel was alive and buzzing, people were friendly and helpful. I look forward to exploring some of the group content in the near future. The skill build system is unique or perhaps is something entirely new to me. Sooner or later I suppose there will be some cookie cutter builds but for now it feels good to have that burden lifted from me, no game should feel like a harness. My only con, and it is not really a con in the usual sense, comes from my own negligence. I give kudos to nvidia for putting together a driver package specifically for the Secret World. I installed it and my older graphics hardware runs the game just fine. However I have come to the realization that it is time to update my hardware, if not for this game but for other games in the future that will demand more from my gpu. This is a minor gripe considering that I have had my graphics card for almost three years and have been milking its longevity. Again, kudos to nvidia for providing the support for this game. I am not sure how AMD people are faring thus far. All in all a very solid game, a very smooth launch it would appear, and I look forward to playing it with friends and family for quite some time.
  9. Jul 5, 2012
    The game has its shortcomings: Animations are edgy and in general inferior to the older AoC, missions are bugged frequently, the character design has preciously few options for a modern-day MMO.
    However, they pale when compared to what the game offers - a truly unique themepark gameplay experience in a genre long thought to be stale and essentially trying to stay alive by perpetually
    copying itself with merely a few minor aesthetics upgrades.

TSW deviates from the formula of success that World of Warcraft introduced to the world, the one formula that spawned a (felt) billion of poorly disguised carbon copies.
    First of all, the character - not restricted by classes, you can literally learn every skill there is (sadly, these skills are exclusively combat-related, but combat is the game's heart - the one point where it does not deviate from traditional MMOs), and there are plenty. There is no boring and ultimately chalengeless grind to maxlevel, consequently. Usually, MMOs exercise considerable effort not to frustrate even the lowest common denominator, for a frustrated customer is usually not a paying one. As early as the second area (and definitely once you reach the Blue Mountains), TSW ehaves noticeably different - it is relentless, unforgiving, and punishes mistakes swiftly and without mercy. It might even kill your puppy dog without remorse if given half a chance. Baseline: It is HARD. An example: Halfway through the second map, you are met with a soloboss that has the following abilities on top of normal attacks: A channeled PBAoE that hurts anything further away than 8 metres, a channeles PBAoE that hurts anything closer than 8 metres, a mine-spawning mode with a lot of quickly exploding large-area-mines, a casted cone attack (oneshots people), and a casted Area-insta-kill (have to LOS that one).
    With that arsenal, in other MMOs, you'd be a runner-up for instance boss at the least, possibly expansion boss - here, it's a single player fight. ;)

Then, there's the lore and storytelling which is, frankly, awesome. You pick up a book, you usually don't get a simple quest text but a beautiful rendering of a page (sometimes, handwritten), you get postcards, kid's scribbling, photographs...then there's the audio and graphics that mesh together nicely to create an at time chilling experience. A haunted house with ephemeral mad cackle that turns to sobs and back to cackling in one go, a blackouted underground parking where the only source of illumination is your helmlight (the cone of light bobs and weaves with your character's movements), a corroded funpark with a hood-wearing, chainsaw-wielding clown...

About dungeons - they are HARD. I admit that the very first instance (if you are not overpowering it) for me was harder than WoW's Yogg-Saron encounter. You have to know exactly what you are doing there.

Then, there's the investigation quests - if you like WELL thought out puzzles, mind games, browsing the internet for research (the game encourages to you - there are even some sites set up specially for the game like www.kingsmouth.com) and wracking your mind, you'll have a blast.

I fear that it will not be a huge commercial success - rather, it caters to a very specific audience of more mature gamers and distances itself from today's usual fast-food MMO recipe of style over substance. Already, channels are overflowing with "how do I beat X" and "where do I find Y?", and a lot of people are feeling frustrated. It will not be long before they depart and return to their comfort zone where everyone is a hero with minimal effort and almost no chance of failure.

I could talk about this game for pages, really, but I will leave it at that - if you are a passionate gamer, relish a challenge, don't approve of the age-old formula of the endgame grind and itemization spiral, plus you can connect to a weird, contemporary horror setting reminiscent of Lovecraft, King & Co., give it a try. At the very least, the game makes for a rock-solid solo title with a more than decent playthrough time.

Normally, I would give it a score of 9, maybe even 8 (There are shortcomings, though most of them are fixable - if they WILL be fixed is the question, given the developing studio's track record :) ), but for the courage, in this day, time and market, to risk publishing something that creative, that different, that caters to me and people like me (nerds who enjoy being challenged and who crave the sense of accomplishment after completing a hard task following hours of excruciating failure), I'll give it a 10.

Well done, Funcom. After AoC, I never thought you'd pull THAT one off.
    Rarely have I been as glad to be proven wrong.

FP
  10. Jul 14, 2012
    A new and refreshing style of game that brings difficulty back to gaming without using excessive and pointless grind gimmicks. The graphics look clean and symmetrical to style across characters and environment. The music and sound are very well done and provide an eerie feel to the play. Missions stories are extremely well done building an enthralling story and capturing the essence of horror and suspense. Be ready to think, this game is not for the mindless. Missions come in several identified flavors that are categorized for the player to choose these will range from Combat oriented, Investigation (puzzles), Sabotage (stealth), Story line, Dungeon, and PVP. You are limited to the number and type of missions you can have at a time. This is by design in order to keep a relevance to the story progression. At first it seems limiting, but by understanding how the mission system works, it makes perfect sense and works well in its design. Development and Combat: What really makes this game shine is its development system as it is vast in its options and styles. This game does have progression system, not a leveling system. It is centered around skills for weapons and talismans (think gear) and a action point screen of over 500 skills segregated in different focuses (weapons) which provide different approaches to play. The system is broken up into actives (skills you actively click in combat) and passives (which enhance and add various functionality to skills in combat). The system only allows you to equip two weapons at a time and you can only slot 7 actives and 7 passives at a time. At first, this limitation feels constricting, like it is too simplistic, but this would be a poor surface evaluation of the system. Active skills are primarily tied to the weapons, but passives can often be used from all of the other trees. The concept is that there is a "synergy" that can be created between given actives and passives. A given weapon will have a focus of concept (healing/damage, damage/support, etc..) and each weapon provides a different approach to things. The skill system can get extremely complex building various conditions to which amplify certain conditions and effects in combat. There are basic states to the combat such as Hindered (slowed), Afflicted (DoTs), Weakened (debuff), Impaired (stun) and so on. Some actives will apply these states and passives can amplify off of them creating buffs, more damage, healing, special conditions, etc... All of these can be applied with a system of building resources for the weapon with some skills, using finisher skills that work off them and various other skills that provide more complex effects and conditions within combat between them. The system is designed around having you select many different types of combinations of these effects (the more you think and design, the more complex and powerful the synergies between them can be). Not only will you design complex setups between your own skills, but you will also do this in designing a group to work together. The days of "you play tank, I play healer, etc..." while may work ok in this game, restrict themselves from the true power of the system. "Role" thinking in this game is a very shallow misconception in the game. You use ALL the skills, not just a specific focus. There is a lot of misunderstanding of the systems in this game, combat is far from simplistic (it is extremely complex in its subtly) and requires a lot of attention and thought to make it shine. This isn't a button smasher and those who approach it as such have problems and handicap themselves. If you find the system is boring, repetitious and simplistic, you need only look at yourself. You design your class, the responsibility is at your feet. The "talismans" are gear in this game and they operate in an interesting manner. You have 1 head slot, 3 major slots, and 3 minor. Each slot represents a percentage of a 100%, 25% head, 15% each major, 10% each minor and the stats on the items will weight respectively to those areas. This isn't a system of people wearing "class specific" items solely. You will mix and match regardless of your chosen focus at a given time. Overall, this game is not for your standard MMO player. It requires you to think, to slow down, to experience and be responsible for your play. You have to break conditioned thinking of previous MMO's to be successful and see the complexity the system provides. If you approach it like previous MMO's you will have difficulties. An honest score for this game is about an 8 or 9, I gave it a 10 because there are some here giving it a 0 based completely out of ignorance (including some of the critics). This game by far does what few MMO's do, and while some obscure titles out there may have complex systems, this is the first mainstream MMO that gets most of it right. Defintely worth an "honest" try. Expand
  11. Jul 5, 2012
    Best MMORPG since the days of the "old school" MMO's. The launch went completely smooth, PvP maps are very well done (and very very large), the graphics are amazing, the ability that every quest in game is a "daily" quest is awesome in my opinion too.

I haven't found anything in game that would warrant a lesser score. Even with a few quests being "broken", you can still complete those
    on another dimension or run something entirely different that you know how to complete to get the XP you would have from the other quest.

I very much recommend this game to anyone, as it will appeal to the "old school" generation of MMO Gamers, and the new school ones as well!
  12. Jul 7, 2012
    Amazing, simply amazing...
    This is by far the best MMO I've ever played. Ragnar Tornquist did an INCREDIBLE job with the story and the game's lore, I'm even motivated to check out his other games.
    I've played pre-access and I've gotten a lifetime subscription. The setting and atmosphere are incredible and the missions are usually sculpted into amazing ice sculptures while most other
    MMO's just churn out ice cubes. Seriously, watch every cut-scene. You won't regret it.

The combat system is also very in depth when you look into it. On the outside, it looks like just normal button mashing with a bit of active dodging. However, the real gem of the system is found in creating many different synergies between two weapons and 14 out of over 500 abilities.

It is definitely not for everyone, it targets a niche crowd. However, that is because it IS different than most MMO's.
    It doesn't hold your hand very much, however, and that could be seen as a good thing or a bad thing. Personally, I had no trouble at all playing the game. But that is because I had already done my research and knew how to play.

Some investigation quests can be VERY tricky but, in they end, they make you feel smart and determined. Things I wish more people were these days.

Also, EA is only handling the physical distribution of the game. They have absolutely no control in the development process of the games past, present, or future.

For the cash shop? You'd be surprised at how well Funcom has managed to keep it strictly cosmetic with no affect on the gameplay. You cannot buy items or money and you cannot sell, disassemble, or trade anything you do buy. You may not like the fact that there even is a cash shop to begin with, neither do I, but I find the game to have made up for itself and more just because it is so different.

The launch has been the smoothest MMO launches I've ever experienced and so far I've not regretted my decision to get lifetime membership one bit!
  13. Jul 7, 2012
    As an admitted Blizzard fanboy I can honestly say that TSW has effectively pulled me away from the monotony of Diablo 3. Developers should pay close attention to what Funcom has done with this game as it is a stroke of genius. The story is immersive, the graphics are top notch for an MMO of such scale, and the combat is action-packed. If you want a game in which the developer dictates the manner in which you play, by all means D3 is for you; if you want something vastly different than a never ending loot grind then you should definitely try TSW. Even if you decide not to subscribe, you will find the game worthy of a $50 investment. Expand
  14. Jul 7, 2012
    I am giving this game a 10 not because it is perfect but because so far it has greatly exceeded my expectations. First game in a long time in which I lose all track of time. Very deep game. The launch was so smooth it did not feel like a launch. I was early access and have been dc'd twice in 8 days and have had no stuttering, lag or rubber-banding. The game play is centered more on story, problem solving and the like so if that is not something you like this isn't a game for you. Expand
  15. Jul 7, 2012
    I've spent a few days with the game and from what I have experienced so far, it's a great game. It breaks the mold of traditional mmo's (wow,tor,rift). The game does very little hand holding. It's very adult oriented, and as such you are required to think on some of the quests because all you get are clues, not exact steps on what to do. I actually like this. Of course the game is not without it's flaws. But what mmo is perfect? There are a few minor bugs here and there, but nothing that is going to completely prevent you from enjoying the game. Just minor wrinkles that will be ironed out in the near future by Funcom. I was very skeptical at first. I didn't beta test it so all I had were reviews and peoples opinions. Finally I decided to give it a go and buy the game regardless of reviews or other peoples opinions. Truth be told I am glad I did. I am enjoying the game a great deal and the no level, no class game changer are a breath of fresh air. If you're like me and wondering if you should try it. I say go for it, but come at it with an open mind. Don't expect WoW 2.0, or you will be in for a disappointing ride. This game isn't like other mmo's. It's different in a very refreshing way. Expand
  16. Jul 7, 2012
    Yep another single player mmo like swtor, single player instances that don't allow party friends to enter (why the hell are those in a so called mmo?), looks like this game wants to prevent you from partying, combat is the same boring rotation with every weapon, build combos and use a finisher for each weapon, rinse and repeat , overall difficulty is hard even for starting areas, lots of bugged quests, and most important you can't reset your skill/ability points at all, so if you want to change your build you have to "farm" more points to invest into the tree you wish, positive remarks for graphics (if you have a good gpu), investigation mission and the gta-like fully explorable areas. Expand
  17. Jul 8, 2012
    Best MMO since i played Everquest 1. Very great Storyline and Lore, well i love the mix between HP. Lovecraft, Steven King, Conspiracy and Bedtime Horror Stories.
    The Combat-System has very smooth Animations, it's really Fun to watch. It's easy to play too if you got into the Skills. 7 Active and Passive Skills makes the Stuff very easy to Handle. The Skill-Wheel is a bit hard to
    understand if you're not reading the Description from each Skill.

All in all : Really one of the Best MMO's since a long very long Time. Thanks Funcom !
  18. Feb 5, 2013
    Easily in the top 3 best MMO's currently out, The Secret World does almost everything right. Questing and leveling are a refreshing change from the standard formula, and the setting is immersive and unlike anything else on the market. Fans of customizing a character will love the skill-wheel system, as there are no true classes and you can change literally everything about your character's abilities. Everything has a touch of the Horror genre to it (which you'll feel in depth from the very first area.) Quests can be both very hard and rewarding, some of which require you to do actual research in the in-game browser (or just look up the answer to a puzzle in the many guides that exist.) All that said, the game falls a little flat in the endgame. PVP is mostly unsatisfying and stacked toward premade teams (which are in the same queue as soloers), the endgame Nightmare-level dungeons can be both prohibitively difficult and excessively grindy, and the move to buy-to-play has ensured that endgame content will continue coming out at a slow pace. Not perfect, but well worth the purchase price, and very easy to sink a large amount of time into. Expand
  19. Jul 9, 2012
    Been playing this game for almost 80 hours now (and only about 1/4 done) and have to say it is has been one of the most thrilling mmo experience i have ever had.
    Also the playerbase atleast on Arcadia seems to be mostly mature and very little whiners and gold spammers (atleast yet). Congratulations are in order to both Ragnar and Funcom for delivering this masterpiece :-) A++
  20. Jul 9, 2012
    This game is amazing! It is original, difficult, interesting, and engrossing. I think of The Secret World as an alternate reality. You will complete quests in real world locales where urban legends come to life. Additionally, quests in the game feel like they have real meaning. Not just a random quest to grind and level up. Story telling and voice overs are fantastic. Some quests also require external research. You might be asked about something concerning a famous real world composer (which you can research with the in-game browser) or be asked to decode real Morse code. Of course you can cheat and look up the answers but sometimes doing some true critical thinking to solve the investigations and riddles is 1/2 the fun in this game. Only reason I didn't give the game a 10 is that it is lacking certain features that have become common place in MMO's like a looking for group system for dungeons and there are still some glitches being worked out. However, the good greatly outpaces the bad. This game is very polished considering the state that most MMO's launch in and is absolutely worth the price. As long as the game continues to develop as ingeniously as the original content I will be a player for years to come. Expand
  21. Jul 13, 2012
    + Great universe
    + Interesting quests

- Awful animations
    - Bad character customization
    - Character leveling DOES exist
    - Zombies again and again....
  22. Jul 13, 2012
    It's a game that has learned a lot of lessons from other MMOs, and puts it in a unique setting. Quests are interesting, all voice-acted, and make sense. The graphics and environment are beautiful. The combat and leveling system has a learning curve. In-game tutorials and pre-made skill builds help a lot if you find yourself getting lost in it all, because there is a lot there - imagine playing WoW and getting every talent tree and spell for every class available to you, and you can mix/match, and eventually you can have ALL of them. The combat is as fun as any other MMO, with a little more added positioning, but more challenging to manage your buffs/debuffs which make up a huge aspect of the combat. Expand
  23. Jul 15, 2012
    This game is 8.5 rating but apparently metracritic doesn't let you do that so I just round up to 9 because this game is more a 9 than an 8.

This is the most unique MMO to date and stands out above the rest. When was the last time you played a modern-day MMO? Exactly. Not only is the atmosphere immersive, the story and questing are the most enjoyable aspect for me because it keeps you
    engaged and makes you want to learn more and although there are your typical kill x amount quests here and there it has a story behind. Investigation and sabotage missions steals the show and really breaks out of the typical MMO questing system. In some of these missions you have to do research outside the game to come to a solution or you may have to go stealth and avoid combat altogether. Not to mention, this has been the only MMO that I actually listen/read the quests and lore (I normally just hit OK and go kill 20 monsters in other MMO's), this shows you how intriguing the story is.

I also love the classless system, it reminds me a lot of Skyrim (which I also really enjoyed) and no levels is a welcome addition, no longer will you can't play with your friends because you're too low level. It only comes down to your abilities and how you build your character.

Overall, I highly recommend this game if you're an MMO fan that wants something different. Are you tired of fantasy medieval settings, fetch and kill quests, bland storylines, marathon dash to max level so you can start playing the "real" game? Look no further and enter the Secret World.
  24. Jul 16, 2012
    Finally a nice MMORPG without elf, orcs and dwarf; interesting quests with good voiced npg; a different game that worth to play.
    The quests are rally interesting and you have to use some brain to solve them.
    I m satisfied.
  25. Jul 19, 2012
    I have been enthralled by this game for the past few weeks. Witty, tongue-in-cheek writing paired with great graphics and interesting game mechanics have provided me with a good deal of enjoyment. Where other recent MMOs reward you for grinding, The Secret World gives you greater reward for thinking outside of the box and using intelligence which seems to give the player a sense of accomplishment that other MMOs fall short with. The only complaints I have is that the combat system is similar to the other MMOs, and the game might have benefited from a little more testing and bug squashing before release. All in all I give this game a 9.5 of 10. I can't wait to see where the Funcom takes TSW from here! Expand
  26. Jul 20, 2012
    Just registered to say, that the game is the most enjoyable mmo experience in the last years. In some ways, the game reminds on the "old" style mmo, like anarchy online or eve online, where you have myriads on options for character development. I like especially the instances, the investigation quests, the lore, the setting, the lovely crafted environment, the graphics. Oh, wait, I love the whole experience. Expand
  27. Aug 2, 2012
    The best mmo I have played in years, or possibly ever. It seems you will either love or hate the game when I see on the scores given. I was very pleasantly surprised by the game after not being convinced by the beta weekends. It seems like a lot of the people that didn't like the game based their review on the beta weekends and not the actual released game so those reviews can be misleading. The game is easily worth the price, even if you just play it for a month, and with regular content updates and tweaks it can be worth staying subscribed even longer. One of the best things about the game is the huge potential for future content, and the game will probably only get better when new features and content is added. Expand
  28. Jul 26, 2012
    Ignore the early reviews that are rating it on a few small issues. This game is getting fairly large content updates on a monthly basis and within six months all these issues should be worked out. The second update is bringing raids and they've already announced two entire new zones being added in. The game will only get better and more stacked with content.
  29. Oct 10, 2012
    One of the best mmo's I have played. And it keeps getting better every month.
    Its unique, its fresh and its fun!
    I have gone through hundreds of mmos most didnt even last one month, TSW? I just cant stop playing it
  30. Aug 10, 2012
    The Secret World is what I have been searching for. It combines the sensitivities and fascinating world-building of an adventure game with the complexities and social tools of an MMOG. The Universe is top notch, Funcom's storytelling at it's finest. The game mechanics (particularly character customization) may not be as excitingly new as some people seem to think they should be, but they are solid and fit the game.

I especially appreciate that the narrative the player goes through does not try to convince the player that he is "special". You are a soldier, one of many, and it is not surprising that there are a bunch of people running around doing the same work you are.

The game is not without its faults. Lag in PvP and a handful of other irritating bugs keep this game from being a 10, for now. However, with the fast roll-out of updates planned for the game, I am confident many of these complaints will be fixed, and look forward to spending many years in the Secret World.
  31. Aug 10, 2012
    i consider myself addicted to the MMORPG genre having to play just about every new one that comes out. The Secret World is a fresh modern day take on the genre. i started playing during the last couple of betas, pre-ordered, and signed on for lifetime a week into the games launch. the game has seen significant improvement over time and can only get better with monthly content updates. would be a perfect 10 if it weren't for PvP issues and a mission bug here and there, but they are very minor issues. Expand
  32. Aug 13, 2012
    This is probably the best and most unique mmo that has come around for many a years. Its a long time since i mmo gave me that magic mmo feeling that only two other mmo's gave me... AO and EVE online.

Seriously.. this game deserves to be tried.
  33. Aug 13, 2012
    Immersive, exciting, daring, attention grabbing and yes sometimes frustrating. All these adjectives describe my adventures in The Secret World.

In this place I can be anything I want to be, do anything I want to do... A sexy axe weilding brunnette who can shoot lightning from her fingers.... a frumpy old man with a shotgun in his hands and pistols at his side.... an innocent co-ed just
    rolled out of bed, still in her bunny slippers wielding an assault rifle and a pair of fist weapons, more deadly than her cute smile would indicate..

This is an MMO unlike any I have ever played. The learning curve is higher than average but there are many opportunities to learn in cleverly placed solo instances along your journey that make you break away from the pack so you can use your build to face the challenge laid before you... If you fail you have the opportunity to change your actives or passives as you need to defeat the challenge... If you cannot, go out earn some more xp and pick up the abilities that you failed to do so in the past so you can come back in and win.

I can tank, heal and dps all on the same toon.. I can build a straight out healer or a combination of skills as unique or cookie cutter as I want... Exploration... OMG! I investigate and solve riddles that make me find it within myself to translate morse code, read runes, follow signals, search google for both well and unknown litterature and art all on my journey through the world.

I feel like I cannot fully express the contents of the secret world... It really can be what you want it to be. If you allow yourself to progress at your pace and fully immerse yourself in the game it can be a fun escape... I cannot wait to face the gatekeeper and see how I do. The gatekeeper is a solo challenge that you must win in order to enter the nightmare modes. You can face him as a tank, dps or a healer... you must face him alone. Some people make it look easy, others have been unable to pass... I don't know what type of challenge faces me but I cannot wait to find out.

The only area I am waiting for improvement on is the PVP. I love some PVP but this game does't quite do it for me.... A 3 faction fight has alll sorts of fun written all over it. It will happen though, eventually.. until then I can get my PVP fix elsewhere.. the rest of the world is just amazing....
  34. Aug 13, 2012
    Despite the Critic reviews, I bought this game, and I am super glad I did. Clearly the critics didn't actually play the game because it has so many good things about it.

First and foremost the graphics and story are phenomenal. The cut scenes and voice acting make me look forward to the missions. The graphics are exceptionally well done and suit the story and environment perfectly.

The game mechanics are also very well done. There are no "classes" or "levels", and surprisingly it really does work. You can make any type of character you like based on the skills you choose. And what's really great is that you never have to reroll your character because quests are repeatable so you can earn more points to try new skills. Also, although I haven't tried it, you can advance your character via PvP battles, but I am too wrapped up in the awesome story and side quests to do that.

Speaking of which... I am 42 hours into the game and it has been a blast. Even if there is no endgame content when I finish it in another 50-60 hours, I am very glad at having spent the $50 I paid for this game.

So, try the game despite the critics reviews. Maybe they got paid off to bad mouth it. Maybe they just didn't bother learning the ropes of a game that is very much NOT A COOKIE CUTTER CLONE of any MMO's in recent history. The game has very open ended ways to play it, so if it's hand holding you want, stick with WoW or any of it's clones.
  35. Aug 14, 2012
    This is a very nice game, good gameplay and level mechanics and the whole quest system is really well set : mysteries, enigmas and stuff that will make your brain work (once in a while, that's good).
    The dark side of all this ? The PVP system.
    Two maps where you'll probably never go, a giant map where it gets boring after 20 minutes but still good for fast xp. Battles can't last for long
    because you'll get blown to pieces in split seconds and that's the sad part, really. A better PVP system and real good maps could give this game a 8 instead of 6 (for me). I guess this game can easily create his own fans and stand still with the arrival of GW2 but players who want some more action and epic battles will go to GW2, i can bet it. Expand
  36. Aug 15, 2012
    really disappointed with this game. This game is mediocre at best, disappointing considering the development time it took it was suppose to be free to play i guess at the last minute they decided to slap a monthly few on it but judging by the couple of hours i spent in game it will probably be free to play or bankrupt in the next couple of months. combat was very disappointing really boring. the visuals in this game are nice and the premise is cool but over all this game isnt worth the price or the monthly fee wish i waited for reviews before throwing money down the drain :(. save your money or wait for a sale dont buy full price Expand
  37. Aug 20, 2012
    Im LOVING The Secret World. I have encountered only a few minor bugs. The story is GREAT and the open builds for the characters is really a fresh idea.
  38. Aug 24, 2012
    A good game, with not too many bugs, and the few bugs I encountered have now been fixed.
    Very nice difference on this game compared to others. Sure a lot is the same (since its an MMO), but compared to some of the other larger ones, there is definitely remarkable differences.
    The investigation missions are fun, some hard, and great.
    I advise NOT to cheat yourself through them if you
    can. Get some hints? Yah you probably do need that on some of them, but the journey in this game is great.

I have played every major western MMORPG since before that word was coined, and I havn't had as much fun playing them since I did in the days of Asheron's Call, and later the betas and first two years of WoW.

Missions do not feel repeative (even though almost all quests CAN be repeated as often as you like), the world seem great and interesting, and the fact that you can play across all the servers means you always meet good and interesting people to play with.

I've had a lot of "Man, I really enjoy this!" moments in this game so far!
    It definatly gets my stamp of approval.
  39. Aug 25, 2012
    I have problem understanding why people would rate this game low. Yes, there have been some initial release bugs and yes, they can be frustrating. But find me an MMO that didn't suffer from this. Any other World or Warcraft initial release players out there??? I didn't think so. But let's take a look at the entire game, not just the problems they've had on launch. Being a "real" adult (48-years-old), I've played my share of WoW, LOTRO, Eve Online, Star Trek Online, etc., and I must admit that this is the FIRST MMO that I felt was written and created for adults. I'm not talking about swearing and nudity, I'm talking about an incredibly written storyline, and first-rate voice acting. The game immerses you in the story, and regardless what you think of the combat system or leveling system, the game is a masterpiece. I played for the free month and then bought a lifetime subscription. I play most evenings and have NEVER been disappointed with content or originality. The first FREE content release provided not only some upper-level quests, but added to the lower-level quests as well which is unprecedented in MMO content releases. If they continue this schedule (which they promise to do), this game will continue to improve. The investigation quests are amazing (although, the in-game web browser now brings up walkthroughs for game searches rather than intended content :(), the stealth missions are a lot of fun, and the "found" missions add an extra level of adventure to the game.

I don't mean to be a TSW cheerleader, but I've found little to complain about in the game. If I had to make some complaints, it would be that I think I have the best dual-weapons combinations and actions and now I don't know how to spend my ability points. A small complaint for all the enjoyment I've gotten from this game.

I hope Funcom continues to update the game on multiple levels, and I hope they don't feel the need to go F2P before it's time. This is a fantastic game made for adults and those with a more mature sense of what a MMO should do.
  40. Aug 31, 2012
    This game is nothing for pigeonholing. This game makes many things absolutely different, others are similar to well known schemata. The quest design is great. Action, sabotage, investigation, delivery quests. Quests, where you have to think. (omg, using my brain!) Quests, that can be done completely without fighting.
    The crafting system is interesting, different. Of course, there are
    better ones out there. But also worse.
    The whole story is amazing, as well as the setting. It's different from everything out there. I love the way dungeons are designed. And I mean the optic and the fights both. I like the fact, that there is not that much trash. And I love, that bosses need tactic and are not only tank and spank.
    The game has a great skill system. But yes, that system and the game design at all requires the player to change his builds if necessary. That's not for everyone, not for people who say "I only want to play with these weapons and that abilities.". But in fact, it is giving players more space to develop as so many other MMOs.
    I am absolutely curious how everything will go one. I'm looking forward to the first raid and the first new zone.
    Great game, just give it a chance and stop pigeonholing ;)
  41. Sep 2, 2012
    10/10... The adventurers and theorycrafters wet dream!

TSW is the best MMO i have played since the first year of WoW, it is different, challenging and beautiful.
    The mission system is really awesome and simple, but can be very hard to understand if you expect another hub quest system... You do the missions YOU want to do, and there are lot's of them, in all different types and
    difficulty! Investigation missions are absolutely amazing and i have not enjoyed a puzzle as much since the old Lucasarts games...
    The puzzles are completely voluntary and gives the same xp as doing pvp, dungeons or mob grinding would do, this really makes you able to have the fun YOU want, with the exception of the main story and faction story.
    The main story is coupled with a faction specific mission chain of which there are 3 different, one for each faction, they were much more exciting then the SWToR class stories or any other mmorpg story i have ever played.
    The DX11 engine is BRILLIANT, the atmosphere and styled theme this thing can pull off left me absolutely breathless, my 460gtx does medium settings at 60fps and there is no input lag or any other kind of lag. The characters are normal humans but the ability to customize your looks and clothing as you see fit is awesome, the gear you have to wear no longer decide your looks, YOU DO!
    The Dungeons in TSW are the best i have EVER played, there is zero trash and the stories and replayability is awesome, bosses are open to be beaten in various different ways which makes the encounters fresh and appealing kill after kill. There are 3 different dungeon difficulties, Normal mode that starts at the end of the first area, Elite which takes over where Normal left off as an intro to endgame which is Nightmare Dungeons. Every difficulty adds new mechanics and tools that both Tank, healer and dps need to use to beat bosses.
    There are tons of achievements, lore and rare boss collections that can unlock new and rare clothing for those that wish to do that, there is also open world Lair bosses which is for players that can't or don't want to do elite/nightmare dungeons.
    The launch was flawless and the bugs that were present were not game breaking and are steadily being fixed in weekly patch updates.
    Funcom are releasing monthly content updates of which the first one contained a bunch of Investigation missions that people have been asking for and 2 new Nightmare dungeons.
    The next content patch has the same PLUS a new type of weapon that will add depth to combat, this time it was a Rocket Launcher and rumors tells of a chainsaw coming next month.
    October will bring a raid in the middle of New York and in 2013 we will get downtown Tokyo as a completely new mission/story zone.
    There have been alot of Funcom bashing going on, TSW is nothing like the disaster Age of Conan, but have some great roots in Funcom's Anarchy Online which is their first mmo, still running after 11 years!

TSW is by far the most underhyped mmo i have ever played and they have me hooked!
  42. m3k
    Sep 2, 2012
    Ive been playing mmos forever and ive played probably 90% of the more popular ones and I can tell you as Im sure some of you reading this know and have felt, I was completely burnt out. Until. This game is amazing. I am hooked and I honestly can not believe it. To start with you cant play this on a run of the mill pc. You can't play this on a semi built i-5 laptop either. If you want to run this game in its glory you better be packing at least a desktop 2500k oc with a 560 ti at min, not saying you need that to get it to run on low, that setup is to run it on close to max / ultra, and I must say what a gorgeous game. To those people saying that the graphics need work or the animations look off, I will say your pc is your issue or you are the issue the game is stunning. Secondly, if your expecting something like wow or gw2, it is not a fantasy game of that genre, it is not set in the medieval, it is set in the here and now, current world, example, London, Tokyo, Transylvania, raid upcoming in New York city. GW2 actually is doing things that TSW is doing and I have to say was doing first do to the fact that its been out for 2 months. Example, you can use any skill while moving, and active dodge, but TSW does it better because you get to double click for the dodge, also the screen shake and the using of the dual weapon switch system in combat looking for synergy in skills and builds. TSW just happens to do these things in a non over bright cartoon way but actually the complete opposite due to the game being more of a horror based mmo and much darker atmosphere, not saying the game is dark, it is very HD in a dark setting if you have the pc to maximize what your looking at. Skill setting in this game is a nice change. You can not go into this game like anything you've played before. The skill wheel makes things very interesting and you have to be a little smarter then the average bear to actually understand what your looking at. It is not cut and paste, build my tank, healer, dps. It is not Rift with its switch out from tank to heal to dps on the fly. Everything you do is based on the weapons you have equipped, but passive skill sets can be used from any of the weapons skills trees (clever). You get 7 active and 7 passive and yes I want more but only because I don't want to think so much, tbh. I spend some serious time looking through my wheel trying to find synergy and usually find myself itching for 50 more AP points (they come quick further along) so I can get to that next skill I think nobodies found but me yet and unlock that super special secret synergy that I know doesnt exist.... or does it :). The quest system is fresh and is not the same as usual yet it is familiar. You have the typical npc standing around with the quest icon or two or three but the interaction and cut scenes are special. I played SWTOR and I am not a big story line person but I heard so many good things about star wars and its story line that you just had to watch it. Well that was disappointing to say the least, I actually quit swtor because I could not esc through the story line (before the first patch) and the cut scenes are so horrible it was truly disappointing. This game however has me watching every single cut scene. The voice overs are great, the story line is as good as any sit down book that pulls you and and you don't want to put it down. I actually found myself in a state of anger after I trained through a bunch of mobs and found a quest giver only to have my cut scene cut off by being hit by a random mob that just happen to have the right distance to hit me 1 time before it broke off. Don't be surprised if you play this game and find yourself watching instead of mashing the esc key. Investigation quest lines are a nice change of pace also. I wont spoil those but if you don't use a walk through site you are in for a serious treat and challenge, very little that is meant to be hard is handed to you in this game. The only reason I can not give this game a 10 is the lack of group play and the lack of social interaction. Some may find that nice, I like the solo gig as much as the next guy and I have solo'd my way up to the max quality level of gear (green). Green being good, Blue being better, Purple being best. I have to say though that getting the really good gear requires doing the 5 man dungeons and doing them in (hard) mode and I have yet to get a group for that or experience the glory that this must be. The game had issues at the start with chat being messed up and communication being the main problem that did not help its launch, but other then that and a few very misguided beta reviews from reviewers that were working with out dated pc's and out dated thinking it has been a pretty flawless ride and I haven't touched pvp or dungeons and that just seems crazy to me. The negative reviews are a little Expand
  43. Sep 6, 2012
    What a surprise ! This game is certainly the best MMO I ever played since 2004... Great world, mature content ! Amazing quests, lot of enigmas, you need to seek answers everywhere ! Full of animations and voices : the leveling part is funnier than swtor ! Thanks funcom !
  44. Oct 28, 2012
    The best MMO i ever played. Cool modern world setting. Unreachable MMO graphics. Funny actionbased gameplay. And a much harder end content in instances than all other MMOs have. There is no better MMO on the market. And the game will be better every month with this content updates.
  45. Jul 16, 2013
    I enjoyed this game a great deal in Alpha and Beta. I got caught up in other games for a long while and I decided what the hell and bought it. I had forgotten how fun overall this game is. the story telling in it is fabulous.
    The mythos is spot on which just makes this game more for my style the quests are not just go collect X you HAVE to use your brain. the in game browser helps with
    that if you have issues though. I try to stay away form the sights that solve the puzzles for you though.

If you want a challenge buy this game.
    If you love horror BUY THIS GAME!
    Also there is no longer a subscription needed to play so buy once and play forever. DLC is extra and they have a cosmetic cash shop which keeps the game alive.
  46. Dec 20, 2012
    If you're tired of the traditional-style MMO, TSW is the game for you. The dungeons are amazing, they focus more on the boss fights than the amount of trash-mobs; the cut-scenes are fun to listen to (they also have some awesome voice actors;) ) Investigation/Sabotage missions can take a while to complete and even require some outside information, or even Google; with a built-in web browser in-game it does not take away from the immersion to use a search engine (if you role-play, think of your toon using a smart-phone). The graphics are amazing, you can see the glitter of a road's asphalt in Kingsmouth Town; the structures of the game look picturesque. Each Society (or faction) has their own storyline to it, and their own way of getting things done, adding a unique feeling to each of them. There are some issues in the game (quest bugs, chat issues; many bugs that plague most MMOs to-date) you can get stuck on a quest tier, have issues with chat, have some tooltip errors or missing items. I must say, Funcom has some of the most hospitable GMs I've ever seen (from my experiences) they get everything done as fast as they can, always are in a good mood, fun to talk to sometimes to :). The combat is certainly interesting. The combinations of passive/active abilities are difficult to decide which one(s) you want in those slots, some skills are just that good. The passive/active abilities can work in harmony to create some devastating effects, like high penetration hits (which do massive damage, more than criticals I believe) or massive healing boosts/damage mitigation. Each skill tree has their strength: Hammers can benefit from Impairment (knock-down, stunning) to increase damage/defense; Blood Magic benefits from DoTs to increase penetration rating/heal/apply DoTs; and so on, so forth. You get one elite active and one elite passive, both of which can turn the tables in any fight, the tough thing is deciding which on you want to use. The Secret World is definitely a breath of fresh air from the traditional MMOs. The modern-day setting is really amazing: from the dark streets of Kingsmouth to the conflict-ridden dunes of Egypt to the gloomy woods of Transylvania; The Secret World does an excellent job at setting the mood for each of the zones and dungeons. The Secret World is definitely a game worth trying, especially if you are a fan of some famous authors ;). Expand
  47. Dec 25, 2012
    This game tries so hard to emit the creepy, eerie feeling of a classic horror story but it just fails to do so in any convincing manner. Within the first few hours of this game I was already turned off by the narrative, the presentation and the general vibe of the game. Possibly the biggest problem I have with this game is the story, if you've ever read or even casually flipped through a Lovecraft novel you'll find this games attempts to present a dark atmosphere laughably poor. The quests seem to go on forever but with no real purpose, I felt no interest in anything, even though I was trying. The only time I remember actually feeling a twinge of dread was when I remembered how much I had spent on this game. Expand
  48. Jan 1, 2013
    Best MMO out of the market atm. The stories the community and developers are first class. The developers have delivered over and over again with regard to updates and quality, you are genuinely doing yourself a disservice if you don't pick this up particularly now it is Buy to Play.
  49. Jan 5, 2013
    This game definitely is different in all the right ways, but the same in all the wrong ways to other MMORPGs out there. The mobs in this game are repetitive and annoying. While you do get different weapons and equipment than a standard MMO, it plays out the same. So you get a book instead of a staff or a gun instead of a bow, but you're still mashing the same attacks and doing the same damage. The UI is not intuitive is hard to customize and there are still quite a few glitches in the game. The community is hard to get involved with. One thing I hate about this game is the zones. Everyone is segregated into whatever zone they are in at the time, and it really makes it hard to have any lasting friendships made in-game and social aspects are not there like in other games. Zones can take hours to go through and have many quests, but once you move on, odds are you won't want to go back.

I did like the story, and the cut scenes, and the voice overs and the environments. But I could get much better stories, cut scenes, voice overs, and environments playing a solo RPG. The reason I wanted an MMORPG was so I could have social interaction. Since I didn't feel this community in The Secret World, the game boils down to a lackluster and glitchy low-end RPG game with mechanics that do not do well for solo play.
  50. Jun 5, 2013
    I just got back into this after a 10month hiatus. Whatever problems there may have been at the launch are gone. Funcom has done a great job of addressing many of the issues and has even provided additional changes to improve upon the user experience of the game. secondly, the world is just amazing. I'm really tired of JR Tolkien's environment (ok, it's still awesome) and this was a great opportunity for CHANGE.

There is a learning curve, but that comes with anything that's different. i.e. Windows 8.

Try it, you won't be disappointed.
  51. Jul 25, 2013
    The Secret World is the most unique and deep mmorpg on the market now.

Pros:
    1) The Story: all main quests are professionally voiced and cover all the dark mysteries of the world. There are minor quests to discover around the map. Map is pinnable so you can save visited locations for later use.
    2) Graphic: graphic is very good, framerate could be better due to sporadic lag but overall
    it is very polished and capture the "feel" of every zone.
    Monsters (especially bosses) are the best designed ones in a mmorpg to date.
    3) Combat: combat is very varied, it is possible to change your gamestyle 100 times. Guns, melee, magic is all here. It can be somewhat hard to figure at the beginning but once done it is a fun ride.
    4) Difficulty: the game is hard and i love it. Progression is slow and you have a sense of accomplishment. Thing that most of the latter mmorpgs have omitted.
    5) Modern setting

The cons:
    1) No gathering: you just loot stuff from mobs and experiment with a tool what can be done with the resources. It could be a new feature, but i really miss some old style "gathering"
    2) Social features could be better
    3) Rides: you just run all the time.

All in all the game is still young and continously improving, Lets see what future have in stock. But as of now it is one of the best mmorpg out there.
  52. Aug 6, 2013
    I pre-ordered the game and played it for about 3 months straight (what means 10-14h a day) last summer, until I reached the point where my character achieved everything possible that time. ^^

It's really been the weeks of my (digital) life and so I never regretted buying The Secret World.

Unfortunately, regarding player counts and earnings it was a huge fail for Funcom anyway (and I
    will never be able understand why), Funcom had to cut back on jobs and so this game was never able to make the most of its incredible potential. :-(

Anyway: I would still recommend this game to everybody (especially if you're looking for a game you can play in a group with some friends). Great Story, Scenery and created atmosphere. Still pretty okayish graphics and sound and enough content to play about 900h+ intensively without getting bored.
  53. Jul 10, 2012
    Game of the year! Fantastic atmosphere, great questing and beatiful visuals and music. This is also a game with huge potential, as there is a wealth of myths and legends waiting to be brought into the game. I came from SWTOR, and this is so much better. Recommended for everyone able to immerse themselves in a game. I got the lifetime subscription ;)
  54. Aug 13, 2012
    A strong MMORPG set in modern horror with an enjoyably unique character progression system. Loses a point for lack of polish: can't hotkey consumables and the quick gear+talent swap tool doesn't always remember your gear (useful for switching between a tank and dps role, for example, but you have to manually equip some of your tank gear). Does multiplayer right by allowing friends to play together even from different servers.

There are three things I think really stand out for this game:

-Non-linear character progression
    There are no levels in this game. There are nine weapon types, from which you can equip any two at a time, and each has it's own skill tree with about 50 abilities. These trees start with cheap, up-front abilities, and branch into more expensive, specialized ones. The catch is, at any time you're limited to 7 active (clicky) abilities, and 7 passive abilities. The game facilitates and encourages swapping these in and out as your situation requires, which can be done instantly and freely anytime you're out of combat. This is way more enjoyable customization than what "talent trees" and classes in other MMOs tend to provide. It also tends to solve the natural lack of tanks/healers, since these roles have the option to deal damage with a simple gear/spec swap.

-Engaging story and dungeons
    Most of your experience points will come from completing quests, which are usually much better than those offered up in other MMOs, and are repeatable on about a day's cooldown. The game differentiates between different kinds of quests, and by design limits you to one main quest at a time, making it more engaging and less of a to-do kill list. Action quests are closest to your standard MMO fair: you kill a progression of baddies usually culminating with some big baddie at the end. Sabotage missions typically involve sneaking around some cameras, traps, or high-powered guards, with very minimal fighting. Investigation missions will test your puzzling skills and imagination, and even require looking up information outside of the game (hieroglyphics, Morse code, ISBN numbers on books, etc). The latter can be incredibly rewarding both in xp and in the atypical nature of the quest, though like any puzzle game solutions can also be found online.

Dungeons are very well streamlined. Trash pulls are almost non-existent, so the group can focus on the real meat of group instanced combat: the boss fights. There's plenty going on during the fights, almost every fight has you dodging some badness, reacting to changing phases and adds, etc. Roles tend to stay pretty close to the "holy-trinity" of tank+healer+3dps, but the nature of setting up your 7 actives/passives leaves within that quite a bit of room for diversity - off heals/tank are definitely possible, and anyone can opt for a personal heal/cleanse at the cost of one of those 7 precious slots.

-Social
    It's the little things. Like most MMOs Secret World breaks into server instances to manage its user base into manageable chunks. Unlike most MMOs, Funcom didn't make this into an artificial barrier to playing with your friends. Your friends list seamlessly crosses servers, and you can join a group with someone on another server and temporarily hop to their server to play.

Because there are no levels, there's no level gap, either. You can group with another player regardless of different power levels, and complete missions, and not feel penalized for it, and because you can repeat most missions you can always find something to do together.

These two things together might easily be the biggest selling point for the MMO, and they're so simple it's stupid, but so many other AAA MMO games get it wrong, in my opinion. The most important thing in an MMO game is the game should be multiplayer friendly, you should be able to join your friends and find rewarding content to enjoy effortlessly - and Funcom nailed this.
  55. Jul 4, 2012
    The best PvE in a MMO in the past 10 years. Probably the best MMO that has come out since DAoC. It doesn't hold you hand, it forces you to think, it forces you to be creative. Also, the skill system is without a doubt one of the best designed in MMO once you get use to it. The sheer amount of freedom you get designed your character is unrivaled.
  56. Jul 3, 2012
    A brilliant game with great depth in every aspect. It is story based, but challenges your mind and emotions instead of trying to be "in your face" and "epic" all the time. The pacing is masterfully scripted. Hands down the best story written for an MMORPG, and probably even for a game, that I have seen.

Progression wise you never feel like you've hit a wall that is due to anything but
    the build you've chosen and skill. In The Secret World, though it's a theme park, you can play it like a sandbox most of the time. You will mostly focus on a mission at a time and immerse yourself in it rather than gathering up dozens of quest and doing them robotically like in other MMOs.

The best part about The Secret World is that it puts "RPG" back into MMORPG. There will be choices. There won't be any disconnecting lines of dialogue blurted out by your own character that you would never say in a certain situation. And most of all, you can tailor your character to your own liking no matter what.

There is honestly nothing here to complain about except the chat system, that can be annoying from time to time. So if I could, I would give it a 9.9 - but if there was ever an MMO that deserved top marks, it's this one.

Ladies and gentlemen, we've finally seen MMORPGs evolve!
  57. Jul 3, 2012
    This is just fantastic, never thought Funcom could make a game that i absolutely L.O.V.E.
    It's not a WOW killer, but i think this can take SWTOR further down.

10!
  58. Jul 3, 2012
    The Rise of FunCom! This is how we can define The Secret World. A new truly MMO, with a history, unique setting and full of personality. A fun, absorbing, with depth and more than decent content for a couple months. Ragnar knows how make an unique story and move to a MMO!
  59. Jul 3, 2012
    is just the game I was looking for the challenge with the phrase "no brain no play" although its built-in browser provides a lot of things and their variation of scripts and missions make you ask for more
  60. Jul 3, 2012
    This is a work of art, I have never played MMORPG, and I am sure more people will get their eyes open for these kind of games. Fantastic...WOW! I´m out of words...
  61. Jul 3, 2012
    I'm a huge video game and horror novel/movie fan as I'm sure many of you are and when this game was announced it seemed like the perfect blend of my two favorite genres. The concept of the game was great, filling a niche of MMO that had never been tapped into with a modern setting and horror basis, but to be honest I was a bit concerned about the execution of such a novel idea. I became more concerned and more than a little disappointed once the first beta weekend had hit. The setting and concepts were great but gameplay and interfacing was very rough around the edges. I was out of town for the second beta weekend, but gave the third another try. Wow. I have never seen such dramatic changes made to a game, especially of one of this size, in such a short time. Gameplay was polished, bugs were dramatically reduced, and more importantly, it became very clear that the developers had listened to the players' feedback and responded immediately. Now that the game has launched, I'm happy to say it has exceeded my expectations in every way. The setting and story are top notch, the visuals are great and combat is very well executed. Launch day, by the way, was pulled off flawlessly. Very few bugs were noted and by the second day of early access they were gone. Given a recent notable launch that did not go smoothly, this was a very pleasant surprise (what a concept, I could actually log into a game that I had bought and paid for). I unfortunately can't speak as to the endgame/high-level content yet, but given the amazing atmosphere of the Kingsmouth territories I can't wait to see Egypt and Transylvania. Questing is almost always more than just "kill 15 boars," and actually has context within the greater story arc. Judging by user reviews here so far and in-game chat, the community of this game has become very passionate about it in a very short period of time. They don't need to hear how great this game is and how "different" it is in so many cool ways, but those people still on the fence do. If you have any level of interest in the genre, give this game a try, odds are you'll be hooked very quickly. Expand
  62. Jul 3, 2012
    I'm solving mysteries in my sleep! Can't get enough of this game!
    Love the story, the mysteries/quests, the action and the humor. Don't miss the opportunity to play this amazing game!
  63. Jul 3, 2012
    If you can answer yes to 3 of these questions: Do you love MMO's and want to try some thing different? Are you tried of the same old fantasy theme? Were you rely disappointed by Star Wars The Old Republic because it is just a wow clone? Looking for a game with a good story? Like the concept of EVE online but failing asleep every time you play the game? Or are you just a sucker for just love killing zombies?

Then this is the game for you!
  64. cvn
    Jul 3, 2012
    Just an absolute amazing game and the best MMORPG I've played for a VERY long time!

Scenery and atmosphere are just amazing. - Great graphics and proper sound effects pull the player right into a very exciting , entertaining and well elaborated story line.

Based on the great PvE and PvP content so far, I'm full of expectations for the future progression of this title.
  65. Jul 3, 2012
    The Secret World turned out to be a fantastic and mysterious surprise that have really grown on me these past few days! I burned out on WoW and SWTOR earlier, and after a buddy recommended TSW I jumped on the pre-order as Early Access was about to start. It's the first time in MANY years that I've utterly fallen in love with an MMO, and this game keeps on surprising me!

There certainly
    are some niggles and some issues, but IMHO they are all outweighed by a true gamers game, a game that takes both story and gameplay systems seriously and which seems to have a depth and a SOUL all of it's own! If you love being treated like an adult in your games, and you're fond of well-crafted story, humour and gameplay I can definitely recommend that you take this baby out for a spin!

Illuminati for the win!
  66. Jul 4, 2012
    My new favourite game!

I have not been so into a game since xcom in 1994 or GTA 3 in 2001
    TSW sucks you in to its world and never lets you go.

First MMO I really liked. :)
  67. Jul 3, 2012
    Just when it seems that the world of online role playing has set into a familiar groove, The Secret World comes along and flips everything on its head, in a good way. We're not talking a complete reinvention of the genre here, but Funcom has gotten pretty damn close in their latest foray into the world of massive multiplayer games.

Where the game truly strikes gold is in the variety of
    quests and assignments availiable to the player. Already from the get go you have access to a wide variety of locations, each with its own special atmosphere and foes. The game does a very good job of keeping the interesting boss fights coming at a steady rate, and for the hours I put into it (nearly 100 beta hours) I never once felt like the pace was getting predictable.

The visuals are just about as good as one can expect from an MMORPG. As with the gameplay, variety is where the visuals really show their colors (pardon the pun). If all you've been playing the last few years is WoW you will need an upgrade, but most new-ish PCs will be able to run the game at high settings without too many hiccups.

The game does need a little polish, but nothing significant is really amiss. This especially holds true when compared to previous MMORPG launches - the dreaded Age of Conan included.

In closing, I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys coherent online worlds but might be a bit frustrated with the rinse-and-repeat mindset that seems to be at the core of most MMORPGs today.
  68. Jul 3, 2012
    I have big MMO experience, and i found TSW amazing. Never expected such game from Funcom. And I have to admit that TSW has practically perfect launch. There some bugs, but most of them were fixed really quick.
  69. Jul 4, 2012
    The Secret World is a creative an innovative MMO. It has a great story, fantastic setting and a great and deep character progression system. The best thing about the game though is the dungeons. They are very challenging and have the highest dungeon quality I have ever seen.
  70. Jul 4, 2012
    Of all the MMOs I've played, this has by far the most interesting setting and theme. If you can get past the clunky interface and the occasional bug, the content will reward you. The dialogue is well-written and well-acted -- superior even to SWTOR -- and the world is rich with character. Investigation missions are thought-provoking and satisfying, and the incorporation of real world clues to solve the puzzles is a neat innovation. Combat is fun, fast-paced, and challenging. There are some features that could make the gameplay a little smoother -- auto-revert to sprint, for example. But the game is not about holding your hand. It basically drops you in the middle of this campy/scary world, and gives you the freedom to explore, figure things out on your own, and develop your character however you like. I highly recommend. Expand
  71. Jul 4, 2012
    First ever MMOG aimed at an actual mature audience. You need intelligence, common knowledge and a good understanding of Abilities and how they work together. No Classes make raiding awesome - no waiting on a healer - if you have the spec - respec and go! Excellent Persistant world PVP system. Just love it! Investigation Quests keep you entetained for hours.
  72. Nov 28, 2012
    Great game with great potential. Fun, innovatory, educative and most of all - very immersive. Everybody is crying for new ways in MMO but if there is such game, everybody is crying thats too much new ;) Game mechanics arent easy to understand but if you go deeper - you are rewarded.;)Try trial!
  73. Jul 5, 2012
    Look at the few vidiots giving this game a zero. Dated graphics my ass, these graphics are state of the art. It appears to me it's the WoW fanboys, they complain because they cant just go out and zerg easymode quests by the dozen. This is the best mmo on the market right now. **** idiots.
  74. Jul 4, 2012
    Probably the best MMO I've played to date. Here's a few points:

- Amazing class-less and level-less system. You can play whatever you want, by choosing from an amazing collection of skills.
    - Very interesting, well-designed and challenging puzzle-quests. This game made questing fun again. - Truely amazing atmosphere! I got shivers at several points throughout the game.
    - Great
    storyline and dialogues. Most games' dialogues and cut-scenes are just cheesy and expected. In the Secret World they're unexpected, have depth, and define characters who seem unique and realistic.

A lot of my enthusiasm is related to my personal admiration for the types of stories that this game tells. So it is clearly not for everyone. Those with OCD can keep playing and enjoying WoW-type of games with max-levels to reach and crafting skills with recipes to collect. This one is different. Also, it's quite hard. Puzzle quests are difficult, they make you think. It's certainly not for everyone.
  75. Jul 4, 2012
    Best MMO i ever played, and ive played MMOs since EQ.
    Sandbox game, not holding ur hand constantly.
    Brilliant Quest system, i usualy hate questing, in TSW i love it.
    I always race to end game, here i enjoy the journey thru the game, its amazing!
    Seriously try it, u wont regret it.
  76. Jul 4, 2012
    Most fun I ever had in an MMO. Great atmosphere to support an amazing storyline that keeps me interested and curious. Very challenging ability wheel and build handling, and cunning bosses.
    The PvP has awesome potential, but is clearly hard to balance in the persistant war zone. It will get much much better soon though.
    Graphics and sound is spot on, but I am looking forward to better
    animations and toon (re)creation. Expand
  77. Jul 4, 2012
    Best MMO I've ever played, and I've played a lot of them. Each quest actually sucks you in - as in I remember each quest. The atmosphere makes me feel something, the combat is challenging, most missions force you to use your brain, little hand holding, great graphics. The starting area alone is incredible and far superior to the best zones in basically every other MMO. (wow, tor, aion, rift, eve) the developers have really created something unique and more importantly FUN. Expand
  78. Jul 4, 2012
    I've played most of the larger MMO releases since Wow and EQ2 and they all felt the same - until Secret World. It is by far the best the genre has ever offered up. It is obvious the developers sat down with a mission to not only fix all the recurring problems of the genre but really think outside the box and come up with something fresh.

Character progression is open and flexible like
    nothing that's been done before in an MMO. The attention to detail that's been put into the quests is amazing, after maybe 20 hours of play I've only found about 3 or so "kill x of this monster" type quests. Normally in an MMO try as I might to follow the story I just end up sinking into a grind fest - however the quests here are interesting, quirky and the cutscenes that accompany most of them feature deep characterisation and often hilarious lines. Many of the quests feature puzzles that make you really think.

Everything is structured so that you can play how you want to play and all the boring crap from the genre is removed. Grinding for levels is non-existent, crafting requires no levelling (just the required items), dungeons have a minimum of trash mobs, character progression is completely open, gear is handled separately to clothing so you can set your character up to look how you want him/her to look without sacrificing that awesome bit of shiny gear.

Truly ground breaking for the genre.
  79. Jul 4, 2012
    It's one of the more interesting games I've had the pleasure of playing. Aside from being firmly ensconced in the modern day world, the appeal of a skill-based (vice level-based) MMO is great. The ever-present backdrop of modern civilization plays well with the story of a constant battle and an inconvenient partnership between rivals seeking to establish dominance. It's quite compelling.

One of the issues with this game about which people incessantly complain is that it also has "kill X number of mob" and "fedex" missions. I have yet to see an MMO that does not. If this doesn't appeal to you, go play a flight sim or a Facebook game as MMORPGs may not be for you..
  80. Jul 4, 2012
    This game was very hardly going to impress me- but it did. I actually found myself doing quests very slowly not to consume all the great details and plot in one shot. I also was very, very sick of MMOs general overused settings and mechanics: we needed some fresh air.

Great job, funcom.
  81. Jul 4, 2012
    This is the finest MMORPG (emphasis on the RPG, imagine that!) I've ever had. In fact, this may be the finest virtual experience I've ever had. Just wonderful.

The game is on to something huge. I can't wait to see what further development does to the game, as well as watching the community grow and thrive over time.

This is as close to tabletop RPG gaming as an MMO has ever come.
    It's my near-perfect experience.

Okay, logging back in to play...!
  82. Jul 4, 2012
    For an MMORPG, this game is AMAZING. I was a closed-beta tester, so this is not just a superficial impression. I love open-server technology that allows you to play and join cabals and chat channels with people across multiple dimensions. I love the missions, the cinematics, the environments, and most of all the story, the puzzle-solving and the magnificent community. I took a point off for lack of genuine crafting system and player-driven economy, lack of pet-handler builds (I really like those so it's a big deal for me), and lack of tools for players to generate their own content and share it with other players. The developers have promised that the game will expand into those areas in the future. Expand
  83. Jul 12, 2012
    Truly unique MMO among all MMOs, kudos to Funcom for taking the genre to a new level. Do yourself a favour and give it a try you will not be disappointed, and its only going to get better.
  84. Jul 4, 2012
    The theme of the game is very nice, but a few things really takes away from the enjoyment. Very few character options. But the glaring problem (for me) is that you so often have to search Google for walk-troughs to quests.. it just ruins the immersion that the game otherwise succeed to provide. Bottom line, if your not a native language is not English and/or have excellent puzzle solving skills.. the game gets boring fast. Expand
  85. Jul 4, 2012
    So, I'm more a PvP person myself (in comparison to PvE). I've played a TON of MMOs out there (probably 25 or so) and my favorite MMO is still Dark Age of Camelot (for the PvP). I stopped playing that long ago and have been searching for something with 3 factions, solid engaging PvP, etc. I saw The Secret World and thought it had a lot of cool ideas and potential to deliver engaging PvP. So as to not write up a 5 page essay, I'll cut to the chase, I LOVE the PvE in TSW. I haven't had such a good time doing missions/quests (since Everquest because it was one of the first for me). The combat is definitely a step up in my opinion than other MMOs because it's a hybrid of having to move around, monitor states, etc, to get the most out of your combos. Though the PvP doesn't hold a candle to DAoC's PvP, I can still enjoy the game and PvP as a secondary activity. Congrats Funcom, I was skeptical at first because of my experience with Age of Conan; you've done well and erased that apprehensive feeling about your company. In short, I love this game. Expand
  86. Jul 27, 2012
    The game doesn't do anything well and copied many bad ideas of past MMOs. The only positive feature is the modern day setting but because it is cosmetic it adds no value to game play. Poor features include: 1) combat animations and abilities need a massive overhaul because combat is boring and the abilities are boring and not balanced well against one another. 2) Player-versus-player (PvP) needs to be redone, factions have massive population imbalances but PvP is ignored by players due to such poor PvP mini games and also my first point. 3) The story needs a lot of work as whomever wrote the cut-scenes just copied everything from someplace else, TV, movies, books, internet meme, etc. hire a writer. The story often has nothing to do with the quest objectives either. 4) BUGz of the UI, quests, chat, and other random annoyances that are far more common than in other MMOs. 5) Small for an MMO, only 8 combat areas and only 3 regions so geographic and monster diversity is small. 6) To much emphasis on the single player experience, are fewer group instances than recent MMOs and much less group content outside of the instances. This MMO is going to need so much work to salvage and even then it may end up average, I have doubts as to how much post release work will be put into the game. More content was promised but much of the work was done before release. The overhauls to game systems such as combat, PvP, and social features or raid areas must come in a timely fashion. Expand
  87. Jul 4, 2012
    This is one of the most exciting, different and outside-of-the-box games to ever become available. The quests are all top-notch, the story is amazing and deep, the characters feel alive, the WORLD feels alive. The atmosphere is incredible. I can't say enough good things about this game... it's just awesome.

The bad? The chat. The chat system is terribly wonky but they have said they are
    working on the issues so I won't take a point off for that.

If you're not playing this game - you should be. Well, if you're able to deal with puzzles and difficult encounters. I have a 60+ person Cabal going in this game right now and everyone is having a blast. Funcom dropped the ball with AoC... they slam dunked with The Secret World.
  88. Jul 4, 2012
    Could not recommend more. Excellent horror/sci-fi setting, quests, characters, audio, graphics, and level of immersion. It's like playing an adventure MMO that is also a fine, fine RPG. Given enough effort, you could have a character that can do it all.
  89. Jul 4, 2012
    I've never had so much fun playing an MMO. The Secret World delivers never been so immersed in a MMO before. Fantastic atmosphere, fun missions, combat and story. Stability is great with a few minor bugs. Thank you, Funcom for delivering something new a fresh - Highly recommended.
  90. Jul 4, 2012
    Amazing game! so fun and refreshing. Funcom hit a home run on this one. Anyone looking for something different in an MMO give it a shot. I really hope Funcom gets the credit they deserve on this one.
  91. Jul 5, 2012
    Refreshing game in the MMO genre. Setting, quests and combat are different from the standard MMO. Dungeons are difficult and skill system deep.

Give the game more than a few hours of your time and it will suck you in.
  92. Jul 5, 2012
    An excellent, just-different-enough MMORPG that does so much right and has room to grow. It isn't quite as gung-ho as WoW or even LOTRO, and this is no bad thing. It's a thinking person's game and caters to its target audience so well. The theme and storyline are extremely evocative and well-executed. The voice acting and musical score are a new benchmark for MMO's and challenge even the big-budget single-player RPG's in terms of quality. the difference in the first few hours, getting to know the world of TSW and being sucked in by it compared to getting bored to death of the opening to TOR was palpable. The ability system is deep and customisable, a lot like the original Guild wars system but less cumbersome and easier to map. Combat is satisfying and group play has synergy and depth. The built-in web browser needn't break immersion if you use it to research rather than to just google quest spoilers! Expand
  93. Jul 5, 2012
    TSW is an amazing game. But people will either adore it or hate it. Many people will misunderstand a lot about the game. Simple things like breaking the now traditional hub & spoke mechanic will have people wondering why you can only take 1 quest. There's a reason. A good reason. TSW is about paying attention to the quest, the details, the surrounding. Not rounding up a batch of quests and doing them in the most efficient order to level up. If you skip reading quests or watching cut scenes in games, you can't succeed in playing TSW. "Broken" quests are almost always a quest someone doesn't understand because they didn't read/pay attention to what they were supposed to do. There's more to this game than running from A to B. Not that (at launch) there aren't broken quests, there's been a 2 or 3 in each starting zone, but they are in the vast minority compared to what you see in chat. People have to be willing to tackle challenges by changing and adapting. Being classless means that if you can't defeat a boss, you change your skills up and try again. Some fights are incredibly infuriating and difficult until you realize the linchpin to success and adapt for it. Combat may be the standard hot key tab target variety, but picking 7/7 skills adds an incredible variety and constant new play styles. It also means that while the holy trinity is crippled, it still exists, just that you can shift roles on an instant to satisfy the need. Maybe one fight you need all dps, the next more healing, or crowd control. You are expected to shift your build and adapt, and if you don't, you will fail. This is harder to see early on when you have so few skills, but because more interesting as you do amass more options. By design you are supposed to fail when fighting a boss. When you do fail, you re-evaluate, make changes and try until you get it right. The world itself is amazing, the story intriguing. A one-more-quest type of insatiable game. It is challenging, and after playing I often feel tired, in a good way. In an age where each MMO has had more and more features to make things easy, TSW goes against the grain, and a lot of people will never get over that. But again, the game is challenging without being impossible. It just requires you to pay attention, something which is pretty rare these days. If you are impatient with quests and just want to get to killing, this is not your game. You'll be lost, or googling every 5 minutes, or asking questions in chat which people will ignore because the answer is right in front of you.

If mood and setting and character means something to you, try it. You may fall deeply in love with the game.
  94. Jul 5, 2012
    Between it's 6 year old graphics, boring combat style and linear missions system this game fails on all levels that it promised.

You are unable to get immersed into the game due to a quest limiting system that forces you to complete one quest type at a time.
  95. Jul 5, 2012
    I wanted to like this game. I wanted to LOVE this game. Modern day settling with a supernatural theme and secret societies? What is not to love?

Unfortunately the answer to that is, the graphics, the story and the gameplay.

The game is woefully short on content and because of that the developers have implimented a quest limitation system to force you to constantly retrace your
    steps to complete missions. (You can only have 1 mission type at a time, so when you find a new mission, you have to "pause' your current mission) then go and complete the new mission, then go back to the first person and then "unpause" the previous mission.

The PvP is standard and borning, as is the combat system.

Such a shame.. it had such great potential, but fell apart in execution.
  96. Jul 6, 2012
    It is a bit early to score such a big game; after all I haven't seen half of it yet (by far), so regard this as my initial impression. I have never been as engaged in a game (of any genre) as I have in this secret world. My heart was literally pounding as I avoided guards in a dark parking house, and I physically jumped out of my chair one time when a ghost jumped out at me with a shrill shriek. Love how it tests my wits, the many little easter eggs and as many have pointed out; the overall experience. 10/10! Expand
  97. Jul 5, 2012
    I am not quite sure where all the good reviews are coming from, but it doesn't seem to be from the player base, who all seem to be privately complaining about the game.

There are a few "fan boys" for sure, but the public chat has been very negative as are the messages on the official boards (except for the ones stickied at the top). I think people really wanted to like this genre and
    have been longing for it, but this isn't the game that executes it.

Why did it take 6 years to launch a game with so little valuable content and such a thin storyline? (By the way, the graphics show that it was started many years ago, because that is how it looks).

To make up for the lack of content, the developers decided to make you grind for you levels (ahem, skill points) by making you repeat the same quests over and over OR pause and unpause them to get others done.

I got completely bored after just a few hours of playing and had no desire to continue. Thank GOD I got a code from a friend and didn't have to waste money to find out about this game.
  98. Jul 5, 2012
    Best MMO I have played ever, it gets more and more fun as I spend more time playing. Especially combat and PvP I like very much, while character creations is the only thing that is not perfect - but this don't matter at all in this game.
  99. Jul 5, 2012
    Pros: [+] Extremely smooth launch (best of any MMO I've seen, even opened the servers ahead of schedule)
    [+] Love the story and setting
    [+] Diverse types quests. Those who complain about having to look for walkthroughs are playing the wrong game. You are _supposed_ to have to think about this game!
    [+] The classless system and no limitations on available skills means that (eventually)
    you can unlock several roles worth of skills and try multiple combinations (Game allows for 7 active and 7 passive skills on the character at any one time). For example, team needs a DPS? You switch to your DPS skill set, tank? put your tank skills on.
    [+] Most quests can be run again after a timer, so you can help friends out and get the quest rewards again (beats most MMOs I've played where you get little or no benefit when helping out a friend).

Cons:
    [-] Few character customizations as far as facial and body features. (though supposedly will be coming post-launch)
    [-] The number of points to get to having several viable "builds" on a given character will be quite high, but I'm not sure how fast those points will be coming in.

No Experience: I haven't played the PVP yet, but it's not really my thing, I more enjoy solo and small groups.
  100. Jul 5, 2012
    I'm really disappointed in this game. What a huge regret buying this game. I was expecting something fresh. I read some of the reviews thinking the game was fresh. A lot of these reviews makes me think the authors were in a cave playing only WoW for 10 years and nothing else. The game is so dated and clunky that I'm surprised it was even released. The combat is by far the worse. It is not new. It's the same old mmo gameplay tweaked to try to be different. Where's the story? It's just a bunch of mini quest that are voiced by terrible voice actors. Where's the unique missions that are not mmo missions? Most of these reviews are lies. I believe there's puzzles in the game but I have yet to see one. Grah, now I have to fight for a refund. Don't make the mistake I made believing this mmo is fresh. Expand

1. Oct 22, 2013
    The Secret World delivers an MMO experience that's distinctly different from its competitors, and it's likely going to remain the standard for future games in the horror/supernatural genre.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    I am really looking forward to the next mission, the next dialog, the next puzzle. As in a solo role-playing game flat. And this is not an error but a boon.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    I like the open character development where I don't have to wear a class straitjacket as well as the quiet discovery of mysterious dangers. But more often that it wants to, The Secret World is "just" an ordinary MMO.