The Sims Medieval PC

6.1

1. Jan 10, 2013
    This is not a RTS TBS or action game. Its sims 3... in medieval. I spent 2 months looking at this game and reading reviews, the number one thing that kept coming up was that it wasn't what they expected (see first sentence). I love this game, just a blast; it can be a bit repetitive going for kingdom ambitions. The things I love about it is that its a complex game system with simpleThis is not a RTS TBS or action game. Its sims 3... in medieval. I spent 2 months looking at this game and reading reviews, the number one thing that kept coming up was that it wasn't what they expected (see first sentence). I love this game, just a blast; it can be a bit repetitive going for kingdom ambitions. The things I love about it is that its a complex game system with simple controls and concepts. Crafting/gathering are a huge part of it, Little things like the way spells are cast and the little side adventures are done. This game is unique in how it plays out. My only issue with it is just the repetitiveness of it, 100 levels per hero would have been more progression oriented (I know that not where it was going, just my preference). All in all one of the best games I've played in 3 years! Expand
  2. Mar 22, 2011
    I've played through an ambition (~10hrs) and am loving this game. Super sweet art and it's really funny! This is actually pretty different than the sims3. A lot of the same stuff you'd expect to be included, but there's a TON of new stuff too.
  3. Mar 24, 2011
    Is it the Sims Medieval we all wanted? For most of us, I think it comes pretty close. It's definitely different from the Sims 3 in a lot of ways, and that's certainly not a bad thing. A lot of the fundamental gameplay we're used to with the sims 3 has completely changed in medieval. Take your time to go through the tutorial, you'll probably be thoroughly lost if you skip over it. ThatIs it the Sims Medieval we all wanted? For most of us, I think it comes pretty close. It's definitely different from the Sims 3 in a lot of ways, and that's certainly not a bad thing. A lot of the fundamental gameplay we're used to with the sims 3 has completely changed in medieval. Take your time to go through the tutorial, you'll probably be thoroughly lost if you skip over it. That said, it's a fun game folks! I'm glad the devs went a different route with this game, because it's not a sims 3 clone with a medieval setting overlayed on top of it. Some of us were probably hoping for something as basic as that I'm sure lol. The quests are thus far very enjoyable, and while it's not as evolved as the sims 3 in terms of content, it's still a very enjoyable game. If you wanted the sims in a ren setting, this succeeds in giving you that! Warning to the Sims 3 builders out there thinking about picking this up: This game is not about building houses or castles like you might have wanted. The only lot building you get to do goes like this: you buy the building, it appears, and you get some ability to customize the interior of it. Imo, I'm okay with what they have included in it thus far, though I do hope that we'll start seeing more content in the works for this game as well. At any rate, I'm 20 hours into this game, and I'm still discovering things and having a blast customizing my hero sims. While at first glance I might have been disappointed with what it didn't have included, what it does have is thoroughly enjoyable and any sims 3 fan + ren geek will definitely get some fun out of it. Expand
  4. Mar 22, 2011
    I love this game! It takes some getting used to because it is not the typical Sims game because of quests and stuff, but I like that it takes a different approach to managing Sims, there is more gameplay involved. It's well worth a try, and very beautiful looking.
  5. X11
    Mar 22, 2011
    This is the first Sims game that I am sure I will not grow bored of in three days time. Well done. Very interesting stuff. In fact I think I will go play right now.
  6. Mar 26, 2011
    I've been excited for this game since I heard about it in December and it hasn't disappointed me yet. There are a few problems--the camera is difficult to control; one time one of my characters got "stuck" in the forest so I had to abandon a quest--but the game is fun and varied. Fans of the open-endedness of sims may not like the demands of quests or the heros' daily duties, but I likeI've been excited for this game since I heard about it in December and it hasn't disappointed me yet. There are a few problems--the camera is difficult to control; one time one of my characters got "stuck" in the forest so I had to abandon a quest--but the game is fun and varied. Fans of the open-endedness of sims may not like the demands of quests or the heros' daily duties, but I like the new sense of direction and purpose. Plus, once you finish the kingdom ambition, that kingdom becomes open to free play. So, even if you find the quests tedious after a while, once you finish you can play the way you want. The graphics are beautiful and the music is very nice and period-appropriate as well. I've never played Sims 3, but compared to Sims 2 I enjoy the variety of outfits and customization, even if you can only decorate rather than build. Overall, I found the game very fresh, funny and entertaining and would highly recommend it for any Sims players (or non-players) looking for a more structured environment. Expand
  7. Mar 22, 2011
    I'm a big fan of the game. My only real complaint is the poor camera, but it hasn't really affected my gameplay, it's just made it hard to take up close screenshots at the perfect angle.

The graphics on the sims and their interiors are stellar! Hair looks like hair, with fullness, clothes look like realistic clothes with fullness as well. The overall world graphics are good, maybe great, but not as stellar as the sims and their interiors. The design of the world however is pretty cool, it feels realistically laid out and spaced out, and I love that there are strolls along very windy and natural forest roads/cliff roads, instead of straight perfect roads. Though I do hope you can upgrade the roads at some point.

I love the traits and the flaws, there are less of them but I feel they add far more personality to my characters than in TS3. I've also felt like I've spent a lot less time messing with decorations (there is not a huge amount of customization here)--even though that's always been something I've really loved, there's enough of a game that I haven't really found myself caring. My Sims feel a lot more unique and individual than in TS3 thanks to the personality traits, as I mentioned, and the ability to turn flaws into positive traits is pretty cool. I also feel like there is a lot more room for unique looking sims in this game, usually I end up with all my sims looking the same if I bother putting any work into them. Now, all of my heroes look radically different and without having to have crazy noses or something. They look far more realistic as people, instead of chubby faced clones, even though their faces are not perfect. I have not had any performance problems on max graphics.

The quests are all pretty fun, I wish they were a bit more involved, but for a Sims game they are very involved. I like that my Sims still have "jobs" but they're things that I have to do (instead of a rabbit hole) and they get changed up every day. The interactions, animations, etc, have all been genuinely entertaining. Though they would probably be more if not for the camera.

Overall: Love it!
  8. Mar 24, 2011
    I bought this for my wife yesterday for her birthday. I'm in the good now! She loves the economic building of the kingdom and finds it quite humorous. I don't think my wife is going to give me a chance to try this game out for myself for sometime.
  9. Mar 27, 2011
    Don't play this game and expect it to be the usual sim game. I'm not really good at reviewing so let me put it this way- I have played this a whole weekend. Its SO much fun watching your characters evolve and have them gain characteristics that you define during adventures. Every character feels important and personal. Played it non stop. And while i usually cheat at some point in simDon't play this game and expect it to be the usual sim game. I'm not really good at reviewing so let me put it this way- I have played this a whole weekend. Its SO much fun watching your characters evolve and have them gain characteristics that you define during adventures. Every character feels important and personal. Played it non stop. And while i usually cheat at some point in sim games i haven't done so yet in this one. And while the game will get very boring once all the choices and consequences has been made I can still only wholly recommend it. Expand
  10. Mar 24, 2011
    Pretty good and addictive game (just one more last goal and I will quit :-D). But everybody considering this game should bear in mind that this is NOT a Sims 3 reskinned to the Medieval age. This is totally different game. Some may like it. Some may not. It is not better or worse... it is just very different. The house building is gone (and the prebuileded houses has just 2D layout on thePretty good and addictive game (just one more last goal and I will quit :-D). But everybody considering this game should bear in mind that this is NOT a Sims 3 reskinned to the Medieval age. This is totally different game. Some may like it. Some may not. It is not better or worse... it is just very different. The house building is gone (and the prebuileded houses has just 2D layout on the rooms). You can see the interiers just from one angle (front). And you can just change equipment (but not necessary). The needs of the sims are reduced (just food, sleep and overall happines combined from collected buffs from successfull/failed actions). And you control only the sims that are related to the current quest (usually 1-2 sims at a same time). This is great for peopel that did not liket the building phase and toliet/fridge/TV/work stereotype of the previous sims. This is completelly gone. But the game is now quest based - there are many quests (and some of them actually pretty long: 1-2hours). many of them can be solved in different ways based on selected sims. (how will you approach the visiting witch? Kill? Make a first lady of your kingdon?...). And it is actually pretty fun to solve them. The quests are main source of the resources hat you need to expand your kingdom. So you slowly build new buildings and related sims proffesions. That unlocks new quests and solutions etc. There is little bit of diplomacy and as usuall - lots of minor useless but fun interactinos that will take week to see all (many of them re related to building, professions, sim level, kingdom stats etc...). So far I spend there cca 10 hours, but Im very satisfied. Only complain is about dialogues. There is many of thembecause the game is story based. But all decisions are done in unnecessary complicated way I hope Medieval 2 will bring standart RPG dialogue options with multiple reply selection. The current "Select your reply in the quest log. Then use it as a interaction on the sim. And then see the reply in the announcment window in the corner of the screen" is really very strange. Expand
  11. Mar 11, 2014
    Sims Medieval had a greater potential, than Sims 3. I've played it and it's kind funny and more attractive than the original. But, I felt something; there is more that this game hides and we do not everything.
  12. Mar 25, 2011
    I almost didn't buy Sims Medieval because all too often in the Sims games, I find myself completely enamored in the beginning, but quickly lose interest due to the tedium of taking my sims to the bathroom, giving them showers, and making them eat their dinner. However, after reading a few reviews and finding out the Sims Medieval had a little more structure and a little less time spent inI almost didn't buy Sims Medieval because all too often in the Sims games, I find myself completely enamored in the beginning, but quickly lose interest due to the tedium of taking my sims to the bathroom, giving them showers, and making them eat their dinner. However, after reading a few reviews and finding out the Sims Medieval had a little more structure and a little less time spent in the bathroom, I decided to take a chance and buy the game. Thus far, I'm having a blast. All too often in the Sims 3, I would build perfect characters to lead perfect lives. In The Sims Medieval, I'm forced to choose a fatal flaw for each of my heroes and I have had tons of fun playing with these character defects. I've yet to find myself bored. Just as I find myself tiring of one character and her quest, it'll be time to choose a new quest with a whole new cast of characters. I love the art work and the detail in the hair, skin, and clothing. One thing I do miss is aging. While my characters have had children, it doesn't appear that the children will grow past childhood. My heroes don't seem to be aging at all. One thing I've really enjoyed in past Sims games is creating huge legacy families who can trace their roots back to my very first character. With that being said, I have had sims in The Sims Medieval die; perhaps I just need to be patient and my children will eventually ascend to the throne. All in all, I've had an absolute blast playing The Sims Medieval. If you enjoy The Sims games, but find yourself bored after a few days, I'd suggest trying The Sims Medieval. If you are really just hoping for a Sims 3 re skinned, you might find yourself disappointed with this game. Expand
  13. Apr 1, 2011
    Generally a good game. There's a few times where I'm left to wonder, "what the heck am I supposed to be doing to get this quest advanced?" I find it has quite a bit of re-play in that you can do quests multiple ways with multiple characters. Definitely worth the price. The only really downside is that the graphics are average, but this isn't the kind of game that you play for kick-ass graphics.
  14. Apr 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The graphics are excellent in this new and refreshing take on the Sims. In this game, you take the role of 'the Watcher', which I find to be a wonderfully humorous way to explain why the Sims are controlled by you. The game likes to involve you in ways like having religious organizations dedicated to worshiping you, the Peteran and Jacoban churches, and letting you play as a priest in each of the organizations. This alone endeared the game to me, simply because of the inherent silliness of the premise. Sometimes, the heroes didn't leave me impressed. The Wizard and Blacksmith are two characters that I really dread playing. Normally, I'm a huge fan of mages and blacksmiths (I've wanted to be both for quite some time), but the crafting system is a pain, and you'll more often than not find yourself trudging down to the village shoppe to pick up one piece of useless herb that you forgot to make a potion. Same goes for the blacksmith, except transpose the herb with a random piece of ore. Stay away from those two heroes if you don't like crafting too much. This is less to do with the crafting system being flawed, than with me just not liking crafting in general.
    The game returns to impressing me with a multitude of quests that interest and captivate me for hours. On more than one occasion, I've had to ask someone to make sure that I don't stay up too late playing it! The numerous heroes that you play as, and the quests that almost always elicit a smile from me, make this game one worth playing. Some minor issues, like the fact that my computer has severe issues loading areas in a timely fashion, are more due to the fact that my computer is in dire need of an upgrade, rather than the game being too resource heavy. If you have trouble playing other high graphics quality games, then you may want to spring for an upgrade before picking this up. Otherwise, this is a fine addition to any Sims lover's library.
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    Nice game. Nothing special but overall a 7/10 is fitting to this game. It's quite addictive at first but I agree that it may get boring later on. There are many new options but as others said, it could have been done better.
  16. May 10, 2011
    The Sims Medieval is an awesome game. It is refreshingly non-consumption orientated, letting one share in historic reality of virtue. Consequently, it is objectification free. There is good freedom of play, and the role playing element adds to this.

Rachel Bernstein also did a good job at incorporating, for political correctness if nought else, a minimalist implementation of (pre-tolerant) socially universal site specification limitation in form, seen in the alternative (modern-like) female clothing. Despite this, and the obvious deviation employed by some bandits, the clothing is beautiful. The honour one receives in this environment makes one feel alive. Bernstein's creation restores lost valour, and puts to rest compromise and its futile conclusions. The music follows this, where I encountered atmospheric bliss on a continual basis - while experiencing and arranging interiors as necessary. The commitment towards societal realism was appreciated also, whether it be in the dancing, the markets, the occupations, the non-secularism, the speech, etc. This all exceeded my expectations.

The neutrality can be slightly deceptive however (had to break out of a strange relationship during the tutorial by restarting it); but if you read everything - and pause when necessary - you can feel in control of your character.

It can also be challenging at times, especially when starting a new character and learning their work routine. Sometimes I feel it would be nice to be able to take a break from routine to maintain some basic level of communication with ambient sims - especially in time critical quests. I also feel that quest specific animation could have been added for adventures (such as that employed in Sierra games like Quest for Glory), although the stories are good - and are always creative and fun reading. Furthering this critique, the duals look like they have had their kinematics derived from fight stylisation used in Medieval shows, which can be non-representative of real sword combat - which is fast, dynamic, skilful, and aggressive. It might be worth while asking trained practitioners to demonstrate this off set, peer to peer, in full armour (albeit with blunt weaponry) - a spectacular which appears too dangerous and violent for the public arena. One final lapse is the lighting - the lack of bump mapping on the exact type of wall most benefited by it; that of stone (demonstrated in Doom 3, 2004). The human faces look brilliant though with the subsurface scattering upgrade, except in some interior scenes where faces can very occasionally receive a redish (saturated) plasticine look. I found also the lack of detail in outdoor terrain texturing to be problem also, although this can be mostly resolved by increasing the level of anisotropic filtering (this is a common problem in games with open scenery, eg RTS). I theorise that the pre-identified "painterly" approach probably could have been avoided by the introduction of bump mapping in interior/exterior surfaces, and with an improved rendering of the rock faces. But this deficiency is blitzed by the realism conveyed by the sims themselves. I was working on the xml code base to a society simulator SimNation (late 2008) when I noticed that EA had already made what I was after in SimCity Societies. More recently (late 2009), I envisaged 'the perfect game' - a human interaction simulator based in the middle ages - and it became apparent that EA were working on this also. The Sims Medieval is this game.
  17. Jun 11, 2011
    Great game. Took Sims3 and actually added some game play and humor instead of making Sim-life. Restarting after each Ambition is really no different than restarting with a child in Sim3, so it seems as if it's sticking with the theme. Getting the latest patch helps a lot.
  18. Jun 19, 2011
    Looks different, feels different but plays the same. A must have for any Sims fan. The Sims Medieval occupation plays a bigger role than any of the other Sims game.This game has more restrictions such as not allowing one to create their own castle and not able to forge your own quest or purpose in the game.
    7/10 for me.
  19. Aug 29, 2011
    AT LAST! I liked the Sims idea some but hated playing at the end as I always, ended up making a character that looked like me, had a family, a job (constantly trying to promote), having to take care of things around the house and paying bills and never having actual time of my own (in between fulfilling personal needs and trying to be nice and social)... I got my life for that! Didn't needAT LAST! I liked the Sims idea some but hated playing at the end as I always, ended up making a character that looked like me, had a family, a job (constantly trying to promote), having to take care of things around the house and paying bills and never having actual time of my own (in between fulfilling personal needs and trying to be nice and social)... I got my life for that! Didn't need a simulation!!!

But this was a nice change, that enables you to bring to life all the fairy-tale, fantasy and medieval characters you wanted, decorated with nice ambitions and achievements and the level of customization exactly to my liking!

I waited to buy the collector's edition for 17â
  20. Dec 11, 2012
    The closest the Sims has come to a role-playing game yet which means you actually receive goals to achieve and characters to level up! Some of the annoyances inherited from its parent series holds it back though not to mention you're unable to actually design the castles and buildings the way you want.
  21. Jan 1, 2014
    The Sims Medieval-I played it with great pleasure. Fair missions, average graphics (but those are the Sims so I'm not surprised) and Simlish new (medieval) version. In contrast to the TS3 items cut from the base game is not conspicuous. You can see that this game is not focused on a lot of expansions. It is a nice stepping stone for people who are not satisfied for The Sims 1-3 and forThe Sims Medieval-I played it with great pleasure. Fair missions, average graphics (but those are the Sims so I'm not surprised) and Simlish new (medieval) version. In contrast to the TS3 items cut from the base game is not conspicuous. You can see that this game is not focused on a lot of expansions. It is a nice stepping stone for people who are not satisfied for The Sims 1-3 and for those who just like to "medieval" atmosphere Expand
  22. Nov 10, 2012
    Super cool and almost everything is new from the very original Sims 3 and u can sword fight and decorate ur kindom!!!!! i think sims 3 has improved!!!
  23. Jan 22, 2013
    This game is quite a bit of fun. It takes the concept of the Sims "build your own" person and community mentality and gives it a bit more direction with questing (which are specific goals that you play toward as opposed to the free play style of sims 1-3). One of the best parts of this game is how amusing it can be. There are a lot of inside jokes throughout the game, and sometimes yourThis game is quite a bit of fun. It takes the concept of the Sims "build your own" person and community mentality and gives it a bit more direction with questing (which are specific goals that you play toward as opposed to the free play style of sims 1-3). One of the best parts of this game is how amusing it can be. There are a lot of inside jokes throughout the game, and sometimes your sims end up doing very goofy things. It is also fun to role play the different jobs, which is not very hard due to the daily responsibilities and very different play styles between heroes.

The only complaints I have are that it is a bit more simplified than I would like. You cannot build the outside of the buildings, which is a bit limiting, and the furnishing options are much more limited than any of the numbered Sims titles. Also, the quests and daily responsibilities can become a bit repetitive; this is the case with any Sims game, but a bit of user creativity can make this weakness a bit better.

Overall, I think this game is not as good as it could have been but still quite fun and addicting.
  24. Jun 20, 2013
    I waited a long time to get this game because I wasn't sure I would like it, imagine my surprise when I finally got it and loved it to little bits. The is not an Role Playing Game that takes itself seriously and it has all the humor and more of The Sims games. If you have played The Sims 3 you will recognize a lot of the menus tools and key bindings so the learning curve it pretty shallow.I waited a long time to get this game because I wasn't sure I would like it, imagine my surprise when I finally got it and loved it to little bits. The is not an Role Playing Game that takes itself seriously and it has all the humor and more of The Sims games. If you have played The Sims 3 you will recognize a lot of the menus tools and key bindings so the learning curve it pretty shallow. Playing the different heroes through their quests is surprisingly engrossing. If you are a fan of the Sims 3 and other Sims games then you will enjoy this, if you have never played a Sims game but are looking for some lighthearted fun then you will probably enjoy this too. But if you hated The Sims 3 then you most likely won't enjoy this game. Expand

1. Sep 7, 2011
    This new incarnation of The Sims has a simplier gameplay but a more interesting setting and tasks to achieve. A good diversion overall.
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Jun 9, 2011
    A charming, multi-genre-hybrid experience, that will appeal to those who don't mind the sometimes tedious underlying gameplay. [July 2011, p.75]
  3. May 29, 2011
    Friendly enough to for the non-Sims-enthusiasts among us and something fresh for players that have been around the block before, The Sims Medieval shows that there's still some life in this franchise yet.