7.8

1. Feb 27, 2012
    I am so departed from this game's audience, that I fail to understand the target demographic's attraction to what is essentially a mix of 'barbie' and 'whatever soap you choose to make it'. This is one of the few games I cannot be objective about. Nothing struck me as insightful, engaging, entertaining, fun, progressive, or meaningful. I guess it was original for it's time. And that has to count for something. Right? Expand
  2. Apr 21, 2013
    Very good gameplay, almost innovative for its times. The bad points are the graphics and the performance, since the graphics suck and you still get low FPS on low end PCs (such as PCs of its times). The sound is really boring, except for some tracks. Overall, it's a mediocre game, which could be even better, since the idea was good.
  3. Sep 25, 2013
    So it's been 13 years since this game was released and I've just set up a Metacritic account, I've decided for The Sims to be my first review because I am fairly excited for The Sims 4.

So, what is this game like? Well it is a very difficult life simulation game by Maxis/EA. When I first saw this game, I was awful at it, my Sims kept on starving because I didn't know how to make money,
    but I still fairly enjoyed it.

I've been playing it recently and although I know I can take care of my Sims by telling them what to do next, they just tend to do what they need to do themselves, besides sleep in the nice comfy bed I placed upstairs.

The enjoyable features of The Sims for me are making the Sims and building the homes in which they live in. Their is the part where you control them but to me it seems a bit tedious and boring and irritatingly difficult without cheating. But the problem is is that the controlling of your Sims is the main part of the game and when your Sims can almost take care of themselves and when the gameplay is almost too difficult and and slightly boring, it takes away most of the fun.

I'm giving this game a 3 out of 10 because as I mentioned previously the Create-a-Sim mode and Buy/Build modes are fun, but the game is about simulating the Sims and I just can't enjoy it enough to like it.

1. Besides bringing out the voyeur inside of me, I've found "The Sims" to be the most addictive and wholly enthralling game I've played in ages.
  2. The game is really fun despite all of the tasks you have to remember.
  3. A refreshing and at times thought-provoking human-scale simulation.