The Stanley Parable PC

8.0

1. Oct 19, 2013
    Clearly, the people who designed this game are brilliant, and the message is profound, but be warned that there is no actual gameplay here “The Stanley Parable” is an indie flick with arrow keys. It’s worth navigating through the narrative if for no other reason than to hear the critique on game culture written by the developers, but this is a simple stroll through a static world thatClearly, the people who designed this game are brilliant, and the message is profound, but be warned that there is no actual gameplay here “The Stanley Parable” is an indie flick with arrow keys. It’s worth navigating through the narrative if for no other reason than to hear the critique on game culture written by the developers, but this is a simple stroll through a static world that offers no traditional gameplay value. Which is ironic, given the mood of the storytelling. Expand
  2. Nov 19, 2013
    The game starts of great, it engages and is hilarious,....for about 15 minutes. I like the premise, I love how it feels like it was made just for my experience, but it was short-lived, and over in one sitting. Worth 5 bucks, but not any more than that
  3. Apr 2, 2014
    I've always been of the opinion that if a game doesn't contain or focus very heavily on gameplay and mechanics, it's not a game. But the Stanley Parable is something which, ironically, EVERY gamer should at least consider, even though it's a very controversial one. No, you're not going to get some super-amazing all-in-one experience. Nor are you going to get the longest or most excitingI've always been of the opinion that if a game doesn't contain or focus very heavily on gameplay and mechanics, it's not a game. But the Stanley Parable is something which, ironically, EVERY gamer should at least consider, even though it's a very controversial one. No, you're not going to get some super-amazing all-in-one experience. Nor are you going to get the longest or most exciting "game". Nor is there any notion of GAMEPLAY. However, this piece of art illustrates the problem of having no gameplay altogether. It's weird and wonderful. It's repetitive yet different every time. It's easy to understand yet infinitely complex. The game can be interpretted in so many ways, and there is so much to discover behind its seemingly shallow exterior, I can't recommend it enough if you're looking for something that will entertain you in ways you couldn't have imagined. What is perhaps most commendable about The Stanley Parable isn't the whole "game within a game within a game" concept, but its presentation. The slick narration combined with sharp graphics and incredible attention to detail as well as a whole host of secrets, twists, pathways and endings to discover make it feel longer than it actually is. You might get bored of it after a few hours, but those first few crucial moments are something that can't be experienced anywhere else. It's a rich experience but one that isn't so muddled that it's difficult to make progress. Exploration of what seems to be an extremely linear game is very rewarding because the narrator speaks to you personally. The comedy value as well as the unique concept make The Stanley Parable a stand-out piece of entertainment that can't be expressed through any other medium. Expand
  4. Feb 13, 2014
    This was an interesting experience to say the least, I'm not sure if this would be called a game, but more of a choose-your-own-adventure story. I personally found this game to be amusing, At times it can be light and humorous, and at others it can take a deep and psychological path. it was very interesting and i enjoyed the time i played it, the only real downside is its a bit short forThis was an interesting experience to say the least, I'm not sure if this would be called a game, but more of a choose-your-own-adventure story. I personally found this game to be amusing, At times it can be light and humorous, and at others it can take a deep and psychological path. it was very interesting and i enjoyed the time i played it, the only real downside is its a bit short for $15 game, so while i would recommend buying it, i may consider waiting for it to go on sale. Expand
  5. Nov 4, 2013
    This is a 1 person game where you control Stanley: a worker in a office that make a repetitive job of pushing the button that his computer screen tell him to press.

Some random day the screen stop give him instructions, he dont know what to do so he walk away his office and notice everyone dissapeared, now you need to explore the facility. The entire game is driven by a narrator that

The entire game is driven by a narrator that will speak as you explore the facility, whenever you go to a point that you can choose a path the narrator will say which one Stanley taked, but as you are in control of Stanley you can follow his instructions or take the other path.
    The narrator will simply continue his role, even if you taked the different path he will mount a story to keep the game going and other paths will come... this finally lead to many story ends.

Well this is the game, you will play it many times cause each end can be reached pretty quick, the game is the narrator itself and all types of jokes that can come out for you not obey his commands.

My main complain about the experience come from the game being to short, its something near of 2 hours to see almost every end and the best point is the intellectuality of the script.
  6. Jan 25, 2014
    Yes this is different, and reasonably amusing but after awhile it just gets annoying to cover over much the same ground to see if you can find a different ending. Worth maybe paying £5 nothing more.
  7. Feb 5, 2014
    It is not bad but after 3 hours of playing there is nothing more you can do. It is an average game trying to be popular by being different. It accomplished that but it is not a great game. If you are short on money this is not a long term one so spend it wisely.
  8. Aug 23, 2015
    In the beginning, the game was intriguing. The dialogue from the narrator was condescending but I thought it was hilarious and found myself responding to his dialogue through the choices I made. At one point he pissed me off enough that I refused to listen to any of his directions and that gave me a rather interesting ending. That is, in my opinion, the essence of the Stanley Parable:In the beginning, the game was intriguing. The dialogue from the narrator was condescending but I thought it was hilarious and found myself responding to his dialogue through the choices I made. At one point he pissed me off enough that I refused to listen to any of his directions and that gave me a rather interesting ending. That is, in my opinion, the essence of the Stanley Parable: making a decision whether to obey or disobey. In a way, the game challenges not only the existence of Stanley but it also forces you to consider how your own life is similar to the way this game is played. It is at once both unnerving and impressive that a game can force so much philosophical, existential dogma down your throat while you listen to the same intro time and time again.

I personally enjoyed finding all the different endings and to see which one I liked best. That being said, the frustration and mental exhaustion is real. Never has a game actually made me feel so mentally exhausted due to repetition and tedium. While the narrator was hilarious, his dialogue got more and more irritating as I got more tired. I would highly recommend to play this game in one sitting. If you are someone who loves to explore and seek out the unknown then I would highly suggest you try this game out. If you are someone who is impatient and needs instant gratification then you may struggle with this game.
  9. Oct 26, 2013
    I suppose I'll be generous with this review. Ultimately, The Stanley Parable is a very enjoyable game for the 3 or 4 hours you can play it. During that time, the game is a solid 8. The story is interesting, the narrator is intriguing, but there is no actual gameplay. There is a finite number of endings and because there is no gameplay, aside from simply pressing the wasd keys, the game hasI suppose I'll be generous with this review. Ultimately, The Stanley Parable is a very enjoyable game for the 3 or 4 hours you can play it. During that time, the game is a solid 8. The story is interesting, the narrator is intriguing, but there is no actual gameplay. There is a finite number of endings and because there is no gameplay, aside from simply pressing the wasd keys, the game has a short life. It is definitely not worth the $12 I paid since it only yields 3 or 4 hours of gameplay. I suggest watching a playthrough or getting the game on sale for $3 or $5. Expand
  10. Nov 9, 2013
    Well, This is a game all about a man named Stanley. It's interesting and funny but only for a short period of time I've finished almost every ending possible it took me a massive 2 hours to complete. So if you want to pay for a good laugh (however very short) this is the game for you.
  11. Oct 20, 2013
    So is this another 30 flights of loving type game....that's got really high reviews and when I bought it all I got was an old demo scene type walkable animation.
    I'm still convinced that game rated high as people didn't want to look like they weren't hip or able to appreciate it.
    So is this the same? Or does the narration make it worthwhile?
    if tis just a good story then fair enough...
  12. Feb 19, 2014
    This game is... alright. I just never got the sense of freedom and choice that the reviewers raved about; there are many choices you can make, sure, but you're never really "free". Everything is written, and that's honestly the feeling I got from it. Warren Spector (the lead on Deus Ex) once talked about how he could watch people play his game and come up to solutions to problems that he'dThis game is... alright. I just never got the sense of freedom and choice that the reviewers raved about; there are many choices you can make, sure, but you're never really "free". Everything is written, and that's honestly the feeling I got from it. Warren Spector (the lead on Deus Ex) once talked about how he could watch people play his game and come up to solutions to problems that he'd never thought about- that's the definition of a gameplay-choice driven game to me. The Stanley Parable tries to pull this off, but ultimately, it's just leading you down a path, no matter what. The Stanley Parable is more just the ILLUSION of choice wrapped in a well-written, humorous narrative. It's nothing like it tries to make itself seem, and it suffers greatly for it. Expand
  13. Feb 6, 2014
    This game was a blast for an hour or so. After that, even with the different story options, it was just never interesting enough to inspire me to go through all the same things I had already seen before.

It simply got boring way too fast. Grab it on sale for a couple dollars to get your money's worth.
  14. Feb 19, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is a cleverly designed commentary on the nature of video games and story structure. There is nothing in the way of traditional gameplay to be found with the player instead having to simply make decisions as and when required (often these choices are whether or not to follow ‘the narrators’ instructions). Depending on what decisions are made each playthrough can lastThe Stanley Parable is a cleverly designed commentary on the nature of video games and story structure. There is nothing in the way of traditional gameplay to be found with the player instead having to simply make decisions as and when required (often these choices are whether or not to follow ‘the narrators’ instructions). Depending on what decisions are made each playthrough can last from 2-15 minutes but to fully understand the games messages it really needs to be played multiple times (with different choices being made) so that a variety of the multiple endings can be seen.

Most people will only play The Stanley Parable for an hour or two, so at about £10 it is perhaps a little too expensive, but it is certainly something that gamers should experience for themselves. I know it got me thinking anyway!
  15. Dec 22, 2013
    This game costs too much for what it offers. Brilliant idea, but you just move with arrows in a repetitive ambient. Poor realization, boring game, VERY FUN for the first couple of hours, after which you'll have explored everything you could, wondering why you did that.
    Rate 6 for the concept.
    Should be a lot lower for the realization all around. PORTAL has very similar concepts, but
    Rate 6 for the concept.
    Should be a lot lower for the realization all around.
    PORTAL has very similar concepts, but it's actually a game in which you have to think and do stuff... you know? a game, basically. This is not. And after all, it's not as clever as it could.
  16. Dec 5, 2013
    This is exactly the sort of thing that gets overrated by critics. It's short, and it's different. That's not to say it's bad. The narrator is terrific and hilarious. It's a neat little meta-commentary about video games. It's certainly worth playing through for a few hours to see everything.
  17. Feb 19, 2014
    A great game BUT there is almost no replay-ability in this game. You spend 8 hours finding all the endings then you might as well uninstall it because there is nothing new you will find.
  18. Oct 27, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is indeed a fun experience. One cannot say much about it without spoiling some of its effectiveness, but it's sufficient to know that it's a first person exploration game which revolves around the relationship between the player, the videogame character, the story and game design, as well as the illusion of choice and other such themes.

The atmosphere and

The atmosphere and voice-acting are great, incurring a mixture of mystery and mild discomfort, definitely reminiscent of Portal in that regard, while the gameplay and graphics are extremely simple and functional.

I would recommend it unconditionnally were it not for its price, I consider 12€ a bit steep for something that, all things considered, is an experience rather than a game, and a pretty short one at that. But if that's not a barrier for you, then go ahead, it's a satisfying little trip.
  19. Oct 22, 2013
    The Stanley Parable goes out of its way to prove that video games are a waste of time by deliberately wasting your time. Whether you are into that sort of thing or not is really up to the excess of time that you personally spend playing video games. I can guarantee that most people who enjoyed this game were impressed by how little they were allowed to do. These same people aren't stillThe Stanley Parable goes out of its way to prove that video games are a waste of time by deliberately wasting your time. Whether you are into that sort of thing or not is really up to the excess of time that you personally spend playing video games. I can guarantee that most people who enjoyed this game were impressed by how little they were allowed to do. These same people aren't still playing it. As a mod, "The Stanley Parable" was a wonderful experiment. As a product, this "game" isn't worth the price tag. It is more of a "Did you get a kick out of the mod?.... Well I need money too." I give it a 5 for both the "portal-ish" aesthetics and the narrator's acting ability. Expand
  20. Dec 7, 2013
    Very engaging. but no re-playability. I love the humor (think GLaDOS from Portal 2 minus the hate). The game is very novel, and good for an hour or two of cheap entertainment. Not great as a game, but a wonderful alternative to going to a movie on a saturday evening.
  21. Jan 11, 2014
    Overrated game in my opinion. Had a lot of fun for the 3 or so hours it took to see just about every ending and laughed multiple times at the game humor, but i see little reason to replay it or ever really come back to unless i felt like being a masochist and getting some of the ridiculous steam achievements.
  22. Oct 22, 2013
    As long as you know it's NOT a video game but a video tour there shouldn't be any problems...As a video tour I have watched it with all the graphic settings at maximum and have been able to watch it at stereoscopic 3D...Needles to say it looks stunning to watch and makes the experience much more enjoyable...I also give points to the fact it supports not only that but even a Game pad...SoAs long as you know it's NOT a video game but a video tour there shouldn't be any problems...As a video tour I have watched it with all the graphic settings at maximum and have been able to watch it at stereoscopic 3D...Needles to say it looks stunning to watch and makes the experience much more enjoyable...I also give points to the fact it supports not only that but even a Game pad...So from technical point of view I don't have any complains...I can't judge it as a game and as long as I could find more places to go I liked how things evolved...You could actually prefer not to go anywhere and just close your office door...The Narrator reacts to your decisions and that's the whole deal here,nothing more nothing less...As long as it lasts, its bearable...The moment you can't find any more places to go you can drain it down the toilet and go searching for something with more substance...A week after watching that you would forget you ever touched it...There is nothing here with lasting impression and that's a deal breaker... Expand
  23. May 24, 2014
    Best described as a choose your own adventure book in digital form. The narration was humorous, but even witty and thought provoking dialogue gets old at some point. So do the repetitive environments and pathways with hit or miss outcomes.
  24. Apr 20, 2014
    To sum it up in a few words, it is confusingly smart. Yeah, I said that. With the huge paradox that is this game, the many alternate paths you can take and all the different endings you can find, this game has a pretty decent replay value. The narrator is pretty funny as well. Maybe you already know what the game is about. Maybe you don't. In either case, I'm not telling because it's quiteTo sum it up in a few words, it is confusingly smart. Yeah, I said that. With the huge paradox that is this game, the many alternate paths you can take and all the different endings you can find, this game has a pretty decent replay value. The narrator is pretty funny as well. Maybe you already know what the game is about. Maybe you don't. In either case, I'm not telling because it's quite interesting to find out for yourself... but with all these good things, there is a downside... It's repetitive. And I don't think you'll be playing this for more than 2 hours. 6/10 Expand
  25. Nov 5, 2013
    It's really surprising, frankly, to see the infinitely positive reviews centered around "ITS FUNNY CAUSE ITS IRONIC THO". Even if it is a joke, I still payed $15 dollars for what is, not only a walking simulator, but an ironic walking simulator that has less gameplay than Heavy Rain. It's charming and witty, but to call it a "good game" is a bit of a stretch. Heck, to call this a "game" isIt's really surprising, frankly, to see the infinitely positive reviews centered around "ITS FUNNY CAUSE ITS IRONIC THO". Even if it is a joke, I still payed $15 dollars for what is, not only a walking simulator, but an ironic walking simulator that has less gameplay than Heavy Rain. It's charming and witty, but to call it a "good game" is a bit of a stretch. Heck, to call this a "game" is a stretch. What people seem to forget is that, even if it's to convey comedy or a theme, input is not equal to good gameplay. If that were true, then my Inspector Gadget 2 Interactive DVD Segment would be up for game of the year. Expand
  26. Jan 7, 2014
    An amazingly unique game which is more an experience than an actual game. In a similar vein to Dear Esther the narrative and story are quite amazing and while it lacks some replayability the limited time you will spend in Stanley's world (or the narrators?) is quite amazing and touching.
  27. Dec 17, 2013
    I don't know why anybody would play this for more than an hour. To explore a drab office and drab corridors with no characters? To find the many endings? Sure there are many endings but I don't care about them and I don't see why anybody would as I don't find them rewarding. The game is a bit pretentious and tries to make a point about life/video game playing. Sure, I don't dispute itI don't know why anybody would play this for more than an hour. To explore a drab office and drab corridors with no characters? To find the many endings? Sure there are many endings but I don't care about them and I don't see why anybody would as I don't find them rewarding. The game is a bit pretentious and tries to make a point about life/video game playing. Sure, I don't dispute it makes those points but...again, I don't care because it was not entertaining or captivating. I do like the tone, very similar to Portal but not nearly as good. Watch it on youtube if you are curious. Don't buy it. Expand
  28. Oct 22, 2013
    So I read some of the reviewers who gave this game a 0. Are you kidding me? Oh it's boring. Oh it's a story about breaking the 4th wall. Oh your choices don't affect anything. That's not the point of the game you idiots!!

The game questions life and how your choices impact the world. It reminds people how they should live their life and ask themselves if their choices are even valid or significant? Perhaps my interpretation is wrong, but I wonder why people whine about wasting money on this game when they could have played the original mod free on Moddb. It's technically the same game except this new version is somewhat HD and has more "choices" and "endings."

This game won't be interesting to all, but giving this game a 0/10 is truly biased and idiotic. The graphics in this game was pretty low. You can't call this an "HD" remake without HD textures. As for game-play, it's not repetitive if you're smart enough to make check-point saves throughout your gameplay. Please think of this game as a book... in a videogame format. The main menu and pause screens needs work.

With all that, I give this game a 7/10. I hope you enjoy my simple review.
  29. Dec 17, 2013
    First of all, this is not a real game. While the idea behind the "game" is quite interesting, the design and the why it carries out is quite boring. I got a good headache from this game just by doing the same thing over and over again.
    It's not worth the 2+ hours of play and not the 15$ price tag.
  30. Oct 18, 2013
    A game about breaking the fourth wall that's about as subtle and complex as the Three Stooges.

If you want to play an actually complex and subtle game about breaking the fourth wall, play Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.
  31. Oct 18, 2013
    I'll be brief: I usually enjoy games like this, or, "interactive experiences". It was definitely thought-provoking and immersing, but I feel that, while it did not necessarily need to be, nor am I LOOKING to 'kill time' or anything, I felt somewhat disappointed whilst playing it. I would get to a certain part of the game feeling as if I only just scratched the surface of what's to come, asI'll be brief: I usually enjoy games like this, or, "interactive experiences". It was definitely thought-provoking and immersing, but I feel that, while it did not necessarily need to be, nor am I LOOKING to 'kill time' or anything, I felt somewhat disappointed whilst playing it. I would get to a certain part of the game feeling as if I only just scratched the surface of what's to come, as if the game's title would again re-appear, as if I'd secretly been just playing a tutorial, only to realize instead that, it's just that length. Perhaps I'm simply bias via expectations, and I liked the concept, but I feel that there was a lot of room here to explore that, could have perhaps been explored more. Either way, a sequel sure would do the trick! Expand
  32. Dec 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't get what is so special about this game
    multiple endings,game restarts,tried n deleted
    got a few endings and unendings

save time and watch all possible endings on YouTube or sth
  33. Dec 21, 2013
    [spoiler] The Stanley Parable is a ticking time bomb to boredom. The game relies on the players curiosity to be any fun, and as the mystery quickly erodes, it is only a short matter of time before that is gone.

Once the novelty of the concept wares off, you are literally just playing the same brief moments over and over, in hopes you might find something new. Unfortunately, it is easy to stop caring about what you might have missed.

It is certainly an interesting gaming experience, and I can't say I didn't enjoy my initial time toying with The Stanley Parable. That doesn't stop it from being overrated, though.
  34. Mar 10, 2014
    For all the hype surrounding this game I was severely underwhelmed at the lack of seriously witty dialogue and deep meaningful gameplay. It was almost as if you asked someone who wasn't that clever to try and be clever. It just didn't work for me. Maybe you will like it though.
  35. Oct 21, 2013
    The Stanley Parable was somewhat amusing, but barely meets the requirements to actually even be called a game. Would have been better not to spend money on it, and watch someone play it on youtube, since all you do in the game is watch, anyway. Or better yet, not do that.
  36. Oct 20, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is considerably less intelligent than it thinks. Although it's difficult to communicate the philosophical ideas it conveys without spoiling the entire game (which, for the record, is rather short indeed), they are not new, and they are not 'mind-blowing' as many seem to be screaming excitedly. The ideas it explores have been explored as far back as 400BC. So please,The Stanley Parable is considerably less intelligent than it thinks. Although it's difficult to communicate the philosophical ideas it conveys without spoiling the entire game (which, for the record, is rather short indeed), they are not new, and they are not 'mind-blowing' as many seem to be screaming excitedly. The ideas it explores have been explored as far back as 400BC. So please, take note, if you see somebody exclaiming 'OMG SO CLEVER SO NEW' It isn't. Not at all.

So, given that this all sounds terribly negative, why did I give it a seven? Although its content isn't particularly revolutionary, it is extremely well executed. All narration is superb, and for the most part, the environmental design is appropriately bland and well-crafted. It's also fairly unpredictable, with some genuinely impressive moments of timing and narrative shifts.

However, frankly, the fact that this game is being sold at £7.99 is absolutely absurd. You can see all the game has to show you in about an hour, if not, about seventy minutes. It's a nice little experience, but to charge any more than £3 is fairly criminal.
  37. Oct 20, 2013
    This is slick entertainment and propaganda. The message is worth hearing, but you'll feel gobsmacked after the first few repetitions. Although you may need a few hours to explore all the endings, they all end at the same message. Replay value on this game is VERY LOW. You can easily look up a lot of the Easter eggs on-line, or watch a film of the main options (75 minutes). If you areThis is slick entertainment and propaganda. The message is worth hearing, but you'll feel gobsmacked after the first few repetitions. Although you may need a few hours to explore all the endings, they all end at the same message. Replay value on this game is VERY LOW. You can easily look up a lot of the Easter eggs on-line, or watch a film of the main options (75 minutes). If you are obsessive enough to find all of the possibilities, clearly the message has missed you! Expand
  38. Dec 23, 2013
    One of the most irritating circlejerks I've ever experienced. Its a funny game with creative narration, but isn't entertaining after the first 45 minutes. If its not on sale don't buy it.
  39. Nov 21, 2013
    this game wants to eventually give you the idea that you choice is important it is actually all about making choices but unfortunately with no gameplay at all you'll be interested to replay it and see the other choices but in the end i didn't enjoy as much as i expected it to do
  40. Nov 25, 2013
    Very interesting game that allows players to play for hours on end to only reach the inevitable ending that is respawning and doing the same thing over and over again. Even though this game is only a 4-8 hour play through it is still a very fun game to play. This game is just to short to give it a high rating, with the factor that the games plot is always the same so you lose interest very fast.
  41. Oct 22, 2013
    Less of a game, more of an interactive novel, you don't really play the game, you simply experience it. One of the most limiting games ever, it makes an attempt to appear deep, often over analyzed by the gaming community, this game is not that deep, it does not break any new walls, it simply is very restrictive and meta.

The game is very short and often relies on you to cheat to get

The game is very short and often relies on you to cheat to get achievements in the game. If you are actually looking for a game to "play", The Stanley Parable is not it.
  42. Nov 10, 2013
    It really is pretty neat game. had some fun playing it a few times. Honestly, the premise reminds me of the movie Stranger than Fiction which isn't a bad thing.
  43. Nov 25, 2013
    Very witty, clever, engaging, thought provoking and detailed. But... £10 for 2 hours played? If you don't mind spending £10 or whatever that is where you are on a movie that is very good, but you won't watch again, then this is probably a good game for you. If it had been half the price I would give it a 10/10.
  44. Jun 20, 2015
    After grinding it for quite a few hours it dumbs down to this:
    The narrator makes it worthwhile trying different routes
    The game makes fun of you It makes you want to play a real game I was hoping there would be more problem solving, for instance the On-Button-Scenario, where I could actually through some means change the outcome. Maybe it's even possible but there was nothing I
    After grinding it for quite a few hours it dumbs down to this:
    The narrator makes it worthwhile trying different routes
    The game makes fun of you
    It makes you want to play a real game

I was hoping there would be more problem solving, for instance the On-Button-Scenario, where I could actually through some means change the outcome. Maybe it's even possible but there was nothing I could find.
    And that's really my biggest issue with the game: I have no clue what goes and what not. I fear it's really just about bruteforcing different routes.
  45. Sep 21, 2014
    I'm not usually a big fan of the genre known as "walking simulators" but The Stanley Parable, despite it's short length, has won me over thanks to its hilarious Douglas Adams style of writing with several laugh-out-loud moments. The game also plays a bit like a first person version of a visual novel, which means multiple endings aplenty.
  46. Oct 9, 2014
    -Snip-
    ...............................................................................................................................................
  47. Jan 16, 2014
    Strange, funny, thought-provoking. But probably not for everyone.

Strange, funny, thought-provoking. But probably not for everyone.

It's difficult to describe why I liked it. It doesn't have cutting edge graphics, there isn't a lot of interaction with the environment beyond walking around a strange office and occasionally pushing a button, and even when I had explored all the paths and endings I could find (plus a few others with the help of a guide) it probably didn't last longer than about 3 hours.

As a game it is limited and very short even for the price, but it made me think about the nature of games, life, reality, choice, and many other things. It also made me laugh a lot. I think anything that does all that (not just games but music, films, books etc) deserves a thumbs up. Plus I will always have a soft spot for indie devs trying something different.
  48. Nov 15, 2013
    I really enjoyed my first hour in the game. They pull off the humor quite well. However, by the second hour I was chasing down endings I hadn't seen yet. I completed every known ending in about 2 hours. There isn't enough content to justify the price. I enjoyed the demo more than the actual game.
  49. Dec 3, 2013
    I'll start off by saying that the game itself was great. It was funny and entertaining and I'm glad that I played it. However, I can not give this game a 10, nor say I would recommend this game to my friends, simply because the game is too short. It also has no re-playability whatsoever. However, it's a catch-22, as if there were more than 2-4 hours content, the game would lose itsI'll start off by saying that the game itself was great. It was funny and entertaining and I'm glad that I played it. However, I can not give this game a 10, nor say I would recommend this game to my friends, simply because the game is too short. It also has no re-playability whatsoever. However, it's a catch-22, as if there were more than 2-4 hours content, the game would lose its novelty. You can complete every ending in the game in 2-4 hours depending on how much attention you pay to the visuals/narrator. I only paid $8 for it on Steam sale, so it was basically like hiring a movie.

On the positive side, this was probably the most thought provoking game I've played in the 25 years I have been a PC gamer. Every moment I was playing it was utterly engrossing and, despite the game having a narrator, felt very immersive. I was sad when my options started running out, leaving me with what is an empty shell of familiarity.

If the game did not cost money, or was something like $2, I would have no hesitation in giving it a 10/10 and recommending it to my friends. However for the same price as I got this game on Steam sale, I could purchase something like Far Cry 3 which has far, far more content.
  50. Oct 27, 2013
    I'd give this "game" a 7.5 if it was an option.

In "The Stanley Parable" you play as "Stanley" in what appears to be a straightforward plot where all your co-workers have disappeared in the office, but it quickly becomes apparent that this is not your typical concept of a game. You'll probably have to play it yourself to understand. Yes, there is some witty and philosophical
    I'd give this "game" a 7.5 if it was an option.

Yes, there is some witty and philosophical dialogue and some bits of it may encourage some thought, but there is really no game here. It ultimately amounts to "choose an ending from this predetermined list." There's no real common theme and the different "endings" feel disjointed. Other than walking around there is nearly 0 interactivity, and certainly no challenge of any sort.

I think ultimately if this were a 5-7 dollar experience, I'd be fine with it, but at 15 dollars I almost feel like it's a rip-off. You shouldn't have to pay this much just to watch someone's thought experiment. I'm a little confused by all the hype.
  51. Nov 1, 2013
    I gave it a 5,, but I wanna know why NOBODY is reviewing it instead just hiding cause of spoilers..Spoil away,, Doesn't mean its ruined. Not a 1 of the 7 or 8 reviews said anything.
  52. Nov 5, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is not a game for everyone, but it was defiantly the game for me. The Stanley Parable is an exploration game, where the player plays as Stanley, your average guy who goes to work one day and nobody is there. Nobody is anywhere really. You have to explore to find out where everyone is. Decisions are everything in the Stanley Parable. The narrator will help "guide" youThe Stanley Parable is not a game for everyone, but it was defiantly the game for me. The Stanley Parable is an exploration game, where the player plays as Stanley, your average guy who goes to work one day and nobody is there. Nobody is anywhere really. You have to explore to find out where everyone is. Decisions are everything in the Stanley Parable. The narrator will help "guide" you through the game. I can say without a doubt, the Stanley Parable was a great buy, and good for passing time. Although it is not a game you play for story, you play it for the interesting; almost its own type of game. But this game is not for everyone. If you are not into exploration, slow(ish), puzzle games then this is not the right game for you. It gets a 7/10 for being fun and pretty, but having a low target audience. Expand
  53. Nov 1, 2013
    This Stanley parable is just a remake of the mod with like 4 new endings. So I recommend you go play the mod first and see what you think, if you didn't like the mod don't bother buying Stanley parable I thought it was ok. but no game is perfect. it got a bit repetitive and only last for a hour. I recommend go play the mod instead.
  54. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + Some of the best voice acting gaming has ever seen
    + Defends itself from criticism by being overly self-aware of its every design and narrative feature
    ? Unclear to players whether or not it's actually a game
    - Not actually as self-aware of its every design and narrative feature as it appears at first
  55. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The most important thing I can say here is that THIS IS NOT A GAME. Even as someone who loves satire, meta-thinking, and criticism of standards, I feel somewhat duped by all the great reviews of this so-called "game."

That's not to say that I didn't like it at all; the narration is very good and the writing is pretty clever overall. They explore some interesting themes regarding gaming, and it's a worthwhile experience going through it.

BUT, there is essentially nothing to do within the game besides make a series of choices between two mutually exclusive options (namely, "Do I listen to the narrator or not?"). Then witness the results. Each "round" takes a matter of minutes, then you start at the beginning, altering the branching path you take slightly to see a different "ending."

With repeated (consecutive) playthroughs I noticed some interesting details, but while I didn't exhaust every possible outcome, I played through enough variations in about 45 minutes to feel like I'd had enough. So, $12 (on sale even) for a 45-minute experience with zero replayability.

TLDR: Interesting, worthwhile experience but extremely short and not worth the price. Should be
  56. May 17, 2014
    You probably already roughly know what the Stanley Parable is about. You play a character called Stanley and a narrator more or less says what Stanley will do next, what he feels, thinks, etc. You sometimes have the choice to follow that or do something entirely different altogether...and as a very, very faint spoiler, the whole thing loops.

The fun mostly comes from exploring the tree

The fun mostly comes from exploring the tree of choices, playing around with the absurd situation and listening to the excellent narration.
    Now, all games with choice trees have the problem that you have to consult a chart at some point to make sure you haven't missed anything. And while exploring that tree is fun, it isn't particularly large. You can be done with the game before the three hour mark.
    Also, while there is a certain ending that is supposed to be the end (you also get an achievement for it), it feels extremely bleak, unrewarding. Not cathartic so to say.

In the end the biggest problem with The Stanley Parable is the surprising lack of content. What is there is absolutely great, but it doesn't feel enough.
  57. Jun 28, 2014
    When I first read about all these reviews, I was pretty excited to try the game out. I was hyped for the so-called message that this game was said to give out and "inspire you to think". Not to mention how a lot of people were saying that the humor is great, some stating that it is on par with Portal 1 and 2.

The game felt really interesting during it's first hour, but it really didn't

The game felt really interesting during it's first hour, but it really didn't spark that much thought in me. The game that makes you "think about life" and "philosophy of video games" didn't spark anything inside my mind. Maybe I'm just not that philosophical or I missed something. After the first hour, it started to feel like the game is just repeating it's message and it starts to get rather annoying, even with it's different outcomes. In the end, I was just trying to look at all the nooks and crannies, and I hoped I would get some mindblowingly thought-provoking ending (if there even is an end), but I was hugely disappointed not to find one.

The voice acting and narration is good, but the humor? There were a few moments which gave me a chuckle or two, but I just didn't find it nearly as funny as Portal games.

Overall, you shouldn't play this game for it's gameplay. You should check out some of the trailers and see if you find the games humor and message to your liking, then by all means buy it. I honestly think the game is tad overrated, but it isn't bad at all.
  58. Jul 10, 2015
    This game is amazing. Basically, the narrator tells you what to do and you can choose whether to do something else or listen to him. when you think that the game's over, you find another ending. The story is short, but you replay it, and make different desicions to get a different ending. some endings go over multiple restarts. and believe me, there are some cool, weird and creepy endings.This game is amazing. Basically, the narrator tells you what to do and you can choose whether to do something else or listen to him. when you think that the game's over, you find another ending. The story is short, but you replay it, and make different desicions to get a different ending. some endings go over multiple restarts. and believe me, there are some cool, weird and creepy endings. there are a lot of dark areas, with little sound. it makes you feel alone, but don't worry, no jumpscares. there are some awesome things you can find *SPOILER* like Portal and Minecraft.
    Even one of the endings is supposed to seem like a glitch. I even tried sv_cheats to see if i got an ending, and sure enough, i got a lecture by the narrator about not cheating. He remembers choices you made previously too (only if you don't die or if you restart manually). Another thing i have to point out is that the game will start again from the beginning if you don't save before quitting, for instance, he wont comment on previous endings. the save feature can be turned on in the options, along win an achievement :). I love how the office can change and that the narrator says some different things each time, and if you keep making the same decisions each restart, he gets impatient.

I loved the illusion of there being endless possibilities, and even though there are not, there are loads of secrets and endings to find. i still haven't gotten all of the endings. I got one called the escape pod ending, and believe me, it is really hard to find. (hint/spoiler: it involves backtracking.)

I love this game, it is a great remake, and i love how they kept kevan brighting as the narrator. he is perfect for this game. along with the old stuff, they have added more dialog, textures that were not taken from half life 2 and way more endings. I really recommend this game. that said, this game is more expensive than half life 2, and even though this has a lot of content, i think this game should be 10 dollars instead of 15. Still, worth paying that much for it.

The game is just a little short, and I would have liked it if they allowed workshop support and updated the game to have more stories/outcomes. It's like buying Battlefield and only getting 1 map with no more coming out.
  59. Jan 17, 2015
    Games developers these days are becoming more self-aware. They are utilising those perceptions from inside and outside the gaming community, using sarcasm and wit to incorporate them into their games. Think back on Borderlands 2; half of the quests are a parody of quests and ideas from other games.

The Stanley Parable makes a mockery of choice, and the illusion of it in most games. The Narrator (with hilarious dialogue) tells you to go one way. You may want to go the other. Instead of blocking you from doing so, The Stanley Parable thrives on this, with about 20 possible endings to choose from. And because the play-throughs are so short, you'll want to find them all, and see how snarky you can make the Narrator.

Go on, buy it. You don't have a choice.
  60. Jun 4, 2016
    It was a good game with a good message sent out and the story changed after how you played it. The game was however shorter than my dick, I litteraly finished the game after 10 minutes.
  61. Jul 28, 2015
    The Stanley Parable is a short but perfectly formed experience, great comedy and a wonderful narrative. It'll make you think but it won't be for long.
  62. Sep 1, 2015
    While The Stanley Parable may be unique, it is far from anything amazing. The game is basically based off of making decisions and seeing how it effects the multiple endings. Because of this, you will want to see all the events that can happen, and all the endings that there are, which can make the game a massive grind after a short while. The story is fairly basic, but has some interestingWhile The Stanley Parable may be unique, it is far from anything amazing. The game is basically based off of making decisions and seeing how it effects the multiple endings. Because of this, you will want to see all the events that can happen, and all the endings that there are, which can make the game a massive grind after a short while. The story is fairly basic, but has some interesting twists and turns, but still nothing remarkable. Expand
  63. Apr 18, 2016
    the game itself is bad during my play session at most it offers is 2 hours its main selling point is because of the graphic the make the narrative soooo long that it bores me out it suck don't waste a pretty 15 bucks at this game play fallout new Vegas or better yet go play cs-go rests the mind than this cluster f-ck of a mess some people praise this game but I despise it.
  64. Oct 23, 2015
    El juego en sí, es genial, está planteado muy bien. Pero tiene una duración de risa... Es un juego paradójico en ese aspecto. No puedo crear un gran juego a a partir de un mod con un precio que ni de risa da de juego.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is many things. It's an interactive comedy, an existential riddle and an experiment in storytelling. Most importantly, it's pretty good. [Nov 2013]
  2. Jan 23, 2014
    It's one of those games that tries and succeeds in making a bold statement. Be prepared for something really special.
  3. Games Master UK
    Dec 25, 2013
    Step away from this review and play it now. Or don't. Whatever you do is already ordained. OR IS IT?! [Jan 2014, p.83]