8.0

1. Apr 14, 2014
    i was expecting for more endings... but anyways, i had to try all 18 and it was soo much fun!! just try, keep on trying til you know you completed all of the endings. an original game which guarantee you some fun! 9/10 :)
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    A unique game that every intelligent gamer should play.
    Unique and intelligent humour in every turn, voice acting so good I doubt an another game even comes close to the emotional undertones of the narrator.
  3. Apr 7, 2014
    A witty and self-referential game about games. What impresses me the most is that each time I return to this game I have encountered something new and found myself ginning and laughing both at the game and myself.
    For those who have grown up gaming, this is a must-have title that should afford some light relief around a form of entertainment that is often taken all-too seriously.
  4. Apr 3, 2014
    Stanley Parable was a mod to Garry´s Mod, the mod was getting so popular, that it got its own game. And it was worth the money. Stanley Parable is not a normal game like another First Person game, it has its own shelf, its own category, the best way to say it short, its a fantastic special game. The game has really many different endings, and feels like, you´re in a commentary, or even a book written on the choices you choose. The game is not the best graphics game that you´re gonna see, but its really easy to run, and you´re not gonna think about the graphics, but about the story you´re making. The game isn´t an action game, its a relaxing game, you can sit when you´re bored. You can´t really tell anything about the story, or the game itself, without its a spoiler. The game has a really, really good telling, even when im played the game, and i made sometimes the sad endings or something, i felt like, i was touched.
    Final word: Buy the game if you like relaxing Indie Games, and you love where you interact to the choices, and even make your own story.
  5. Apr 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. is the game worth it's $15 price tag?
    i can't make that judgement, buy it and see if the game provides a $15 experience.
    or wait until the steam summer sales come along and see if you cant get it at a discount price.
  6. Mar 30, 2014
    This is not a game it is an experience you control stanley thats the only thing i'm going to say of story there are so many secrets and endings and the demo it has a own story just play it and experience it for yourself
  7. Mar 30, 2014
    It´s hard to say something about this awesome game, not spoilering something.

But when a game completely convinces you without having graphics like Skyrim or action as in CoD/Battlefield or whatever, there is something making it really special. I can´t really tell what this is, but Stanley Parable has it :D
  8. Mar 25, 2014
    "Stanley Parable isn't a game for everyone. A lot of people missed the aim of the game...it is inadvertently funny, crazy and confusing...It is short...that the proposition of this game. If you expect something different...don't buy it. For those who likes mindless killing everything that moves, this is not the game...but if you're looking for an unique experience, this is the game for you."

This review hit EXACTLY, what this game is supposed to be.
  9. Mar 13, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is a game that openly mocked me, what I was doing, and what I enjoy doing, and I loved every second of it. This isn't a game based around interesting gameplay or action-packed sequences and setpieces. I hesitate to even call it story-focused. The truth is that this game turns the notion of choice in gaming on its head. It makes you look at what choice actually means and why it, in the end, can't actually exist in a video game.
    For a game with such a philosophical bent, The Stanley Parable has a lot of charm to it. The narration has the dry wit and dark humor of Portal, and it carries itself with just the right parts levity and mocking derision that you can't help but laugh at yourself. It's like being on the receiving end of a particularly well executed, well timed, but well meaning practical joke.
    I beg you if you have gotten this far to try this game. It isn't much cost-wise and it, above all, deserves to be played. Keep in mind what it's about, and you will have a great time.
    All that being said, though, there are a few things that could have been improved. While it is a good game, there isn't a lot of it. I would say that it "doesn't overstay its welcome," but I would have liked it to stick around a while longer. There are some secrets and achievements (each of which mocking the concepts they represent nicely), but there isn't much reason to play this game after you've seen every ending. This is not a full release title, however, and we shouldn't be expecting 20+ hours of gameplay from this.

Pros:
    - Deep, well thought out meaning
    - Incredible Humor
    - Unique

Cons:
    - Short
  10. Mar 12, 2014
    The most fun I have had playing a game in years, The Stanley Parable is pure brilliance, extremely witty, unique and fresh another giant from the Indie circuit inspired by gamers for gamers. Simply check this game out, you won't be disappointed
  11. Mar 9, 2014
    Best thoughtprovoking game I've ever seen. People who think this game is boring, you're [not clever] people who don't understand the real deep sense game.
  12. Mar 7, 2014
    Surprisingly good game with achievements that will blow your mind and a sense of humor that reminds that of Portal and Portal 2. An experience everybody should try.
  13. Mar 3, 2014
    Definitely an awesome game! Like some people here say - you either hate or love it. It makes you think and is definitely one of the games which I liked most! I don't know how to describe it - it always makes you think the game ended, but suddenly a little thing is different. and THAT'S WHY I LOVE IT!!!
  14. Mar 2, 2014
    Quite an experience. This is a must play for everyone. Hilarious duologue, and a huge branching narrative will have you coming back again and again looking for every detail in the "story". Just when you think you have found everything, the game throws you a curve ball and you go for another wild journey with the narrator.
  15. Feb 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After Portal 2 this game was the Best.Before I start the only thing that was wrong with the game was two bugs I found.the gameplay was really good and It was awesome that they didn't put any puzzles cause It wasn't like other games It was just exploring and listen to the Best narrator ever.It was like dear esther you should just explore.the endings were all awesome expect the space one were you should trow your self down and die.It had about 5 or 6 hours gameplay.all the ending were about 2 hours expect the one that you should play the narrator game(the one that you should press the button for 4 hours.)which was 4 and hour.Best ending was down stair one(the one that stanley goes down stairs and next morning a woman find his body.). The most stressful ending was countdown ending(the one that you turn the machine on.). The whole game was amazing and I'm really happy that I played It.Till now second Best game ever. Expand
  16. Feb 24, 2014
    Who says games needed gameplay? This is an incredible piece of self-satirical art that is unlike anything else you have ever played. If you prefer shooting aliens in the face over subtext, don't buy this, but if can appreciate a subtle, clever experience, BUY THIS NOW.
  17. Feb 22, 2014
    If you enjoy storytelling, get this game. If you enjoy puzzles, get this game. If you... whatever.. GET THIS GAME. So clever, inspired, witty and awesome. This game will leave a lasting impression on you.
  18. Feb 20, 2014
    Is impossible not to give this game a 10/10. This game redefine what means a story in a video game, and redefine what is a game, is very hard to explain why this game is so extraordinary, you need to play it to see how good is it.
  19. Feb 5, 2014
    Listen. This is both for the people panning this game, and the people who don't know the point of it, or if you just want to know what this game is about. Firstly, this game is great in its own way. Although short, and with limited, but many endings that give this game I'd say about a 10 hour play-through (with countless more getting the achievements) this game is proving the point that games are in itself linear. It doesn't matter what you do, it's the end result that almost always is the same. Choices are meaningless. This game attempts to reject that, and say "make your own decision" by saying "Don't make your own decision". In this game, choices matter and you get a drastically different result depending on the simplest of decisions such as going through the left door or the right door. Secondly, if I said anything about the actual game besides the fact you can make the rare interaction with objects and go left right forwards and backwards, it would be a spoiler.

To all of your panning this game, think of it more as a statement, not a game. Besides, what is a game? In my opinion, it's anything that can be interacted with. So this game meets that category. This game is a statement that video games tropes need to change. Choose a path. That path is different than the main one, and just as interesting. This is the true meaning of the Stanley Parable. Think on it.
  20. Jan 31, 2014
    Very few times do I come out of a sequel thinking differently of it than its predecessor. The original Stanley Parable was nothing more than a fun little excursion; a little 40 min. blurb to sink my teeth into of decent narration and storytelling. The Stanley Parable that you can get now on Steam is so much more. The game is still essentially the same game as before: choices>endings, but with literally three times the content and some kick*ss narrative. The game is, for the most part, a serious game, with a well-raveled plot and some excellent themes. However, the game constantly makes fun of itself, delivering hilarious lines from the perfectly-cast Kevan Brighting. This is a game worth sinking lots of time into to find all of its secrets, yet there isn't a single collectible, no enemies, no real achievable goal. If you prefer to play games with more "playing" involved, this isn't your game. If you love a good narrative and some witty jokes, don't pass this one up! (a tip: take a right at the doors, a left to the maintenance section, and down the elevator to find my favorite ending :D) Expand
  21. Jan 28, 2014
    Я никогда раньше не видел столь великолепной игры. Тонкий юмор и великолепный голос рассказчика, насмешка над концепцией видеоигр, багами в них. Everyone must play this great game.
  22. Jan 28, 2014
    There has been three indies in 2013 that stole my heart. Gone Home, Papers Please and The Stanley Parable. The three are my addiction, my gems, my precious golden rings.
    But somehow, The Stanley Parable is the one I most enjoyed. Maybe because I never know what to expect, because each playthrough is completely different. Maybe because I have never played the Half Life mod so I don't
    actually know how the original is, and still, find this incredibly good. It is darkly funny, confusing and dazzling. It may not have the best visuals and the gameplay is pretty simple. But the amount of freedom (Or not) in this game is outstanding.
    First of all, some of the best writing is here. Even the achievements are funny (Take a look at them). You are Stanley and a narrator is sort of telling you what to do. You can obey him or disobey him and this can take you through a lot of different endings and situations. I love decision-based games, and this the motherload as you must discover the decisions. And it is not knowing what will come next what makes the game so exciting.
    The visuals are good. They will not make your eyes overload with exuberant beauty, but they are not clunky. In fact, play it in a powerful PC, and you have a damn pretty game. It is a game you have to experience with as little knowledge as possible to enjoy its fully potential. The Stanley Parable is one of this year's best Indies. But remember, THISISNEVERTHEEND.
  23. Jan 25, 2014
    This game is fantastic. It was one of the most enjoyable game experiences of 2013 for me. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but this is a game definitely worth checking out. Saying anything else would spoil the game. 10/10.
  24. Jan 23, 2014
    A game that is both fun and interesting and I can guarantee that it will make you think outside the box. The Narrator is what makes this game great and thanks to his priceless comments, you'll end up doing the weirdest things just to see his reaction to it :-)
    One of the greatest things about this game is that you can never quite finish it. There'll always be a few things you've missed
    here and there, and even though I've played it for quite a while now there's probably still 1 or 2 endings I haven't found yet.
    In any case this is a great game and I'll recommend it to anyone with a sense of humor :D
  25. Jan 22, 2014
    There is very little reason why I should give this game a 10.

There is probably the least replayability of a game since Phoenix Wright, some mechanics are a little choppy and glitchy, there are a couple story loopholes that got me stuck in a room and forced a reboot, and many times I felt the game just made me frustrated.

But after playing this game, I can't even be sure that
    Galactic Cafe didn't want me to be frustrated. Of course, I'm joking, but the narrative genius that this game displays makes me feel just that. It dares, and sometimes forces you to challenge the game, challenge the plot diagram of the story along with the uncouth, witty narrator and even sometimes question what you want from the game. While forcing emotions is detrimental to other games, the Stanley Parable encourages it. I constantly got an eerie sense that the game always knew what the next choice I would make was. When betraying the story leads you to a dark parking garage, the narrator's voice sounding as chilly as ever, your mind leads nowhere but "Oh f**k, I messed up." But then you turn around, the door you just came out of is now closed. Everything that would seem like a cheap trick in another game is played to a forte here, utilized just to shape the player into feeling an emotion.

And knowing this alienates you, since this game is all about choice anyway. None of your choices were of consequence anyway, and the game knew this all along. And that's what's great about the Stanley Parable- you can look as deeply or superficially into it as you want, and it still retains what makes it unique- a avant-garde, difficult look at storytelling.
  26. Jan 18, 2014
    It´s such a great "Game" for the price. I even kept the Demo because I love how the "Game" plays me ;)
    It´s a little short but you can play it over and over and over and over.....
  27. Jan 18, 2014
    Short (and not costly) but stunning. Reminds me of reading Italo Calvino's novels, as this isn't a game so much as a walk through wonderland. The narration is extremely well done and succeeds at being funny at all the right times.
  28. Jan 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best games of this decade, "The Stanley Parable" brilliantly makes of self reflection a raison d'être.
    More than introspection we should probably talk about what we can call "self extrospection".
    The game's self extrospection is favored by making the player bring up and reflect over all of those things that he (or she) considers being implicitly existing in some formats (that a videogame can be beaten, that there are good and bad choices to make, that enviromental interaction gives positive feedbacks, et cetera), and, on the base of those reflections, pushes him to consider the meaning of such conventions, their real value and, with a more distant perspective, his own relation to them and his acceptance of rules in general.

One of the central arguing points of the game is that the player, by systematically trying to apply the same mechanics he is usually applying to videogames in order to achieve the results he is used to achieve, is substantially growing accustomed to mechanically do the same thing over and over, without demanding anything extra-ordinary (uncommon) of himself nor leaving any space for free reflection. "Stanley [...] has a job that demands nothing of him, and every button that he pushes is a reminder of the inconsequential nature of his existence. Look at him there: pushing buttons, doing exactly what he's told to do. Now, he's pushing a button. Now, he's eating lunch. Now, he's going home; now, he's coming back to work. One might even feel sorry for him, except that he's chosen this life." As Stanley is not questioning the repetitiveness of his job so the player might not be questioning certain patterns that he is automatically following in his gameplay sessions; in The Stanley Parable these patterns are usually bringing the player to look for something that he's used to get in other games, only to end up getting it in a very ridiculing form ([spoiler] just think of the competitive leaderboards and the achievements [/spoiler] ).

In most of the cases, by giving the players exactly the contrary to what they wanted from the game, The Stanley Parable pushes the player to obtain a sort of third person self analytical perspective (even intensified in one of the endings in which [spoiler] the game ends with a third person view on Stanley incapable of making a choice [/spoiler] ), the so called (by me) "self extrospection", in which he is asked to reflect on the nature of his impulsive attractions or behaviours. The arising questions and the following thoughts are many: is what the players are looking for something really worth to look for, or are they just grown accustomed to have it and therefore they're feeling its absence when it's not given to them? But it is only when this perspective is moved to other entertainment forms, which are also demanding nothing of people and just drench them with a shower of positive or shocking stimuli, that we can really start to question the level of free will that we possess; as Gustave Le Bon writes in his book "The Crowd – A Study of the Popular Mind": ”It is only by obtaining some sort of insight into the psychology of crowds that it can be understood [...] how powerless they are to hold any opinions other than those which are imposed upon them, and that is not with rules based on theories of pure equity that they are to be led, but by seeking what produces an impression on them and what seduces them.”

How much are we automatically doing because we've been pushed to grow accustomed to it? Are we laughing at a video where someone crashes with a motorbike because it is really funny and not at all unethical, or are we doing that to relief some of our personal frustrations by watching someone else failing? "Yes, it's all very amusing. And we laugh and we call our friends over and they laugh too and soon the whole world laughs and laughs and laughs at the man who failed. [...] But [...] you, sitting there: what have you gained watching this video? What have you learned?" And if we do it because of the frustrating monotony of our life, why are we then allowing the frustration to latently exist? Are we so accustomed to our life as it is that we're scared of doing any changes? How many non-influenced choices are we making? What's the worth of those choices?

Stanley might be starting to understand all of this: "in and amongst his aimless meandering, I think he is actually beginning to discover something: he is getting closer to an answer, an explaination, an exit. He is beginning to earn his freedom", but he is a videogame character bound to narrative limits and cannot escape his own story. He is Stanley and can only be Stanley.
    But what about us?
    "Now, if I could truly put you in his shoes, to show you the paths he walked and the choices he made.. [...] soon you will be the one to walk: the controls will be in your hands. [...] Oh, I think I'm going to enjoy this. When you find out how alone you truly are.. I will be laughing more than anyone."
  29. Jan 11, 2014
    The game is unique and awesome. I dont want to spoil, but I reccomend anyone who plays not only dumb-style CS games, but some games actually makes you think at least a little. This reminds me of Portal games (Portal is better obv.) This game is very short and it is not actually a game after all, thats why I cant rate it maximum, but believe me, you gonna enjoy it!
  30. Jan 7, 2014
    The first thing I wanted to do after playing through this thing was come on here and read the inevitable zero-rating reviews from people who need to be famous as memes. You guys are gold!
  31. Jan 7, 2014
    Simply brilliant. I won't say anything, that would spoil it. About the price: Yes, it is overpriced as a game. But it's not actually a game, it's art. Remember that.
  32. Jan 5, 2014
    Ahahah this is something, a really insane story, i had much fun playing it and I recommend it to everyone who wanna play something different (well, you don't have to play so much in that game, but it is fantastic however)
  33. Jan 3, 2014
    Incredibly diverse... that is one particularly fitting way to describe this game.
    Never before have I had the pleasure of putting so much time into a pointless game.
    Most likely because it is not a game... it's an experience.
    One that I recommend to everyone... and don't be shy to pick up a walk trough at the end to see what you have been missing!
  34. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Filter Kafka through the sensibilities of Douglas Adams and you might end up with something like The Stanley Parable. It is not so much a game as a bewildering tree of short stories to explore, all featuring the same main character and all circling the themes of free will and purpose, while lampooning videogame mechanics. Button presser Stanley finds himself in an office devoid of colleagues and sets out to explore what is going on. As he roams the halls, a sardonic narrator points out what Stanley is doing and crucially what he is about to do. (Also see: Stranger Than Fiction.) But you are free to go against his prompts and the game even expects you to do so, as otherwise it would be a really, really short experience. You can’t really do much except occasionally press some buttons and open a door. Most of the joy comes from exasperating the narrator (Kevan Brighting), who sounds a lot like he is channeling Peter Jones, the voice of The Guide from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. It is the funniest, best-written narration since GLaDOS from Portal, voice-acted to perfection. One of the highlights of the game actually had me just hang around in a pointless broom closet while the voice scolded me.

There are various endings, but these aren’t endings at all in most cases, and you will inevitably end up circling back to the beginning. It’s never clear when you’re done, as it’s always possible you missed a branch of story somewhere, something the game itself also points out. The game is very ‘meta’ and will poke fun at what you’re doing or not doing and the expectations you may have of a game. A sinister countdown that pokes fun at your helplessness is probably the best example of this. (But are you really helpless?) And there is an ‘achievement’ that will have completists grit their teeth, which is to not play the game for five years. So I’ve got something to look forward to in 2018. There is also an achievement simply called ‘Unachievable’. But is it? Be prepared to cheat a little, by way of a walkthrough, when you feel like you have seen all there is to see. There are a few Easter eggs you are likely to miss unless you spend ages bumping around every corner of the office until desperation sets in.

The only downside to The Stanley Parable is unavoidable repetition, as you will have to run through the same spaces a lot to get to the diverging branch you want to explore. Though occasionally there will be a small change a new voicemail to listen to, a new comment by the voiceover parts get too samey. Movement is fast, thankfully, but when rushing from one place to the next, the voiceover gets cut off awkwardly at points, when you trigger a new one before the old one is done.

All in all, The Stanley Parable is a unique experience and one that should not be missed. When you look into this game, this game also looks into you. I look forward to revisiting it again, in time, when I’ve forgotten most of the narration. But not until five years have passed, of course, as I really want that achievement.

@PopCultJunk
  35. Jan 1, 2014
    To be honest I was scared the whole time I played this. I'm so accustomed to violent super serious games that every corner I feared that there was some jump scare or zombie awaiting me. But once I played it a million times over I knew I had nothing to worry about. The game is almost perfect.
  36. Dec 31, 2013
    Smart, entertaining and worth the money. Between 3-4 hours of brilliant gameplay. Wouldn't have wanted to be any longer, as it would become stale. Nailed every aspect, down to the hilarious achievements. Far better than spending the same amount to go watch a movie!
  37. Dec 30, 2013
    What an interesting "game." When reading about it online the theme was just to try it so you don't spoil it for yourself. Glad I did! Keep in mind it's not a game in the traditional sense. I imagine a lot of the negative reviews are from people who had expected some sort of puzzle game? Your mileage may vary but definitely worth trying to have an opinion.
  38. Dec 29, 2013
    I have never laughed so much playing a game as I did playing The Stanley Parable. I've played for over an hour and i have yet to see every ending and easter egg. While i don't think it is quite worth the full price, any sale price would make this game well worth the price.
  39. Dec 29, 2013
    By far the most....different game I have ever played. I would try to explain the actual game to you but I think it would be a spoiler, so I will try to explain the general basis/ idea of it. Basically the game allows you to make multiple decisions that influence what happens. There isn't really much of a story, there's only one path that gives a story, the rest of it is just messing around trying out the different ways to get through the game.

The narrator offers funny, interesting and hilarious commentary, and the game is completely based around it. If you don't like listening to a lot of funny narration then this game is not for you, and you need better tastes.
  40. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has a great originality.
    It almost seems like a cross between an adventure game and a free roaming.
    Gameplay well done, every choice will change your way, and this does not allow these to be monotonous.
    FABULOUS!

PS: If only a problem in the long run it becomes tiring, always going ahead and repeat several times the choices of the alternative endings then become hard to find.
  41. Dec 28, 2013
    This does not intend to be a game, so treating it as one would be inappropriate. Definitely not for everyone. It is pretty short but wonderful, you could burn that money in far more unenjoyable ways, which do not make you 'think'. It deserves 10 not at all for its duration, popularity or gameplay, but rather for its original plot which it achieves within its means and the amount of laughter it caused (I cannot remember the last time I laughed so much during a game/film). Perhaps more for people who are (or think they are) intellectual/philosophical... Expand
  42. Dec 27, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is a variation from what is accepted as a traditional game with different and unique aspects. What one user might assume to be right could turn out to be your demise.
  43. Dec 25, 2013
    This game should be considered a litmus test;
    Anyone who says they disliked the game or says "it's not actually a game" needs to officially be given a "STUPID" stamp on their forehead and be forever branded as an untrustworthy reviewer who should never again be allowed to touch a video game with a 10-foot-pole.

It's one in a shortlist of games that could be described as "as close to a
    perfect game as is possible to create", a shortlist including the likes of Portal (the first Portal, that is) and Anti-chamber.

The Stanley Parable is quite a short game, but objectively one of the best video games ever made... And I literally mean *objectively*.

If you compared this to the hundreds of games I have played in my entire life, all my most beloved games on which I spent tens or hundreds of hours on each...
    Games I hold far more dearly to my heart than The Stanley Parable...
    Games which have given me far more fun than The Stanley Parable...
    I could only honestly rate those games as 9/10.

In a mere 5 hours of playtime from start to 100% completion The Stanley Parable is the one game that I could truthfully give a 10/10.

Now that may make me sound like some pretentious hipster, but I regularly indulge in and fall in love with games that are super-mainstream, as well as more-indie games that I adore despite them objectively more closely resembling a glitchy pile of faeces than a video game.

The Stanley Parable features the best narration you'll ever hear in your life and an extremely self-aware, incredible breakdown of what video games are as a whole.

The game will make you feel curious, ashamed, awe-struck, annoyed, excited, terrified, ecstatic, sad, confused and hopeful seamlessly throughout every playthrough dependent entirely upon the many choices you make.

If you have not played the game yet, then please immediately play the demo, then buy the full game and play that.

Stop reading this review and do it, right now.

Seriously. I mean it.

Stop reading.

Go play it.

Now.
  44. Dec 21, 2013
    This is probably the best game I played this year (2013). Many people will says this is not a proper game and it's quite true. Stanley Parable is an experience. An experience that all gamers should have. Don't bother if you play this title 1 hour or 100, it's a personal adventure built by a genial team. This game is worth all the money it costs, and it's really cheap btw.
  45. Dec 21, 2013
    This game can be viewed as a new genre in the gaming industry. The game is presented as a narrative on behalf of an office worker Stanley, which throughout the game accompanies the narrator. The game says to you that encompasses the right to choose in the game. It is like the voice of the narrator is the main attributes of the game.
  46. Dec 19, 2013
    A Dostoyevsky-esque testament to the fact that games can display existential philosophy beautifully without needing any flashy effects.

The Stanley Parable is a game which requires playing through the same general sets of experiences over and over again to get an idea about the nature of storytelling and of reality itself.
  47. Dec 17, 2013
    I wouldn't call Stanley Parable a game, I call it an interactive experience. Imagine that it's like a choose your own adventure book. There were points where a decision (either to go with the narrator or against him) was tough, i wanted to see what would happen with both options.

Sure the game is short, but it blew my mind, it did things that completely baffled me. It is a great
    experience that everyone who loves video games should play. People who think that in order for a video game to be good you need a gun, should not play this game.... this experience is a lot deeper than that. Expand
  48. Dec 17, 2013
    This is THE game of 2013, I'll probably be the only one to say that, but it's true. There is no other more unique, provocative, bizarre experience this year will bring us, not GTA 5, not The Last of Us, THIS, this is the game of this year. A satire of video games within a video game, a stinging commentary about the supposed choice we have, and bitingly funny, topping it all off with a superb voice acting performance and brilliant creativity, and what have you got? The Game of the Year. Expand
  49. Dec 15, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Does it have actual gameplay? Neither did The Walking Dead and that (my favorite game) won game of the year, so it just depends on how you look at it. If you don't appreciate (abstract) storytelling you will not like this game. However, if you go into it with an open mind, you will come out with an amazing experience, with a profound message backed by a brilliant and intriguing soundtrack. An altogether beautiful game. Expand
  50. Dec 11, 2013
    This game has made quiet an advance in terms of design and choice maker finals, the possibilities are really impressive and the way the story flows is fantastic. Works really good for a casual or a hardcore gamer.
  51. Dec 11, 2013
    People seem unable to quantify The Stanley Parable with words, and I attempt the herculean task here. TSP is a story driven first-person novel game, if you will, in which you could be Stanley, an average joe with the most boring job in history. One day, the eternal monotony of his (or your) job is broken, and Stanley (or you) is then your avatar in a conundrum of doors, buttons, ferns, the Line(tm) and the number eight. Kevan Brighting's dry yet witty referential narration, its whirling mass of pokes and jokes at scripted narrative events and choice systems in general, is something to behold. Get friends and family to experience TSP's witty self-aware humor and the fun never stops. Simple xinput support means that a mouse and keyboard aren't the only way to proceed. And graphically, it's a treat, using the Portal 2 incarnation of the much loved Source engine, with graphical enhancements abound.

Play the demo, love it, buy it (in a sale only), play it again, love it.
  52. Dec 6, 2013
    You can't say anything about this game without a spoilers. I played many games, but this game is the only that i loved forever. I don't even know why i love this game, maybe story, maybe narrator, maybe something else. Not anyone can understand the hi-score of this game. Some rate 10, some 0. All that i can say: Play it for yourself. You will love it like me. This game not even lagging on my old computer, that made in 2001.

I like this game so much, that i started writing the story about Stanley.

P.S. Authors not added in game much things, like other endings.
    Also, i recommend you play the demo. It is good to play.
  53. Dec 6, 2013
    Never have I played a game that managed to brake down the 4 wall so covertly. I guess "brake down" would be to direct. It's more like a well dressed British man slowly cutting a hole in your monitor from the other side and then sitting down and starring deeply into your soul. Needless to say it was quite unsettling at times, but in a good way. I actually almost stopped playing half way through.... I almost won. Expand
  54. Dec 3, 2013
    Fun, Quirky, and Interactive. The game itself has minimal user interaction and at the same time, has such drastic decisions to be made that effect you, and effect the game. Worth the 10 dollars you will pay for it. You buy this game more for the story than for the game play.
  55. Dec 3, 2013
    All I can say about this game is that you should buy it. If I say anymore, I'll risk spoiling the plot and it wont be anywhere near as enjoyable as I found it. It's not a game that you will be playing over and over again, but it is a game that you will be playing over and over again.
  56. Dec 3, 2013
    This game is perfect. It is funny (lots of fun and laughs!), intriguing, it has action, sure, and also thrill.
    It's perfect In the sense that there is nothing actually "missing" or that could have been done better.
    The concept is innovative and brilliant!
    I love how the Narrator voice (which is perfectly interpreted) is fundamental to the fun (and it really demonstrates you that, in
    some occasions, literally).
    It's even philosophical at some points.
    It's a mature game that can really teach you something or at least make you think.
    It's and experience that's totally worth the little money it costs.
  57. Nov 30, 2013
    It's a unique experience! The Stanley Parable it's completely unpredictable and captively. The game makes you think about many things, things really strange for just a game, like "what really matter in your life", "what is freedom". Have a great narrator and there were no bugs while I was playing.
  58. Nov 29, 2013
    The following is a player review of the video game, The Stanley Parable.

See, the thing is, you're reading a review in order to gain an idea of what The Stanley Parable is, right? But that wouldn't work, oh, no it wouldn't. Firstly, that would involve explaining the plot to you in order to critique its finer points, and that's no fun. Spoilers aren't always helpful in discussing the
    quality of a game, depending on its platform. As they say, the journey is greater than the destination. That's probably wrong, but who cares? There's a good chance you didn't, because I assume you skimmed half of the above to get to the good stuff, or maybe you skipped it altogether. So let me tell you about how the gameplay of The Stanley Parable works.

You are a player. You have been sitting at a computer for quite a long time, pressing buttons you may not quite comprehend to reach a goal that you understand just as much. One day, there is a catalyst, and everything changes. The weight of your wallet is slightly less than it was minutes ago, some electrons signal a "wiring of currency," and there you are, downloading a software onto your computer, possibly through a third-party program that allows the exchange of similar programs, and eventually this software has been installed onto your computer. Eventually, you are using this software, and that is how The Stanley Parable begins.

Or, you can take the alternative route. See, there is a separate software, a "lightweight" version of sorts, that does not actually make your wallet lighter, even if the prior implication says so before. This is what they call a Demo of sorts. And you go through a similar process, and when all is said and done, you are using a similar software, attempting to enjoy the output.

Now, when all is said and done, if you do enjoy this "Demo," you may reset the situation follow the prior-mentioned path. Of course, given that many of you may see this post at a later date, there is a chance that the amount of money being transferred to the software developers (which you never really quite thought about until just this moment) is slightly heavier, because at the time that this "review" is being written, the game is 25% off its original price. If you chose to merely skim the review until this point, there is a good chance that, because of the number mentioned in the previous sentence, you slowed down your reading in order to note this price change; you should also note that it is November 29, 2013, and the game is on discount until December 3. I believe this would be a wonderful opportunity to engage in the processes described above (assuming you didn't skim them) and begin The Stanley Parable.

If you do continue along these paths, remember this review. It will be very relevant later. This review is a piece of work, only decipherable by those who have truly embraced the process that is "Playing The Stanley Parable."

And it is certainly a process that will change your perspective of software, choices, and state of mind.

And game developers. Don't forget those again.
  59. Nov 28, 2013
    The only reason this game gets a nine is because it can get a little bit repetitive. Other than that, this game is absolutely fantastic. Great soundtrack, great voice acting, great story. The Stanley Parable does a great job of combining everything you love about video games.
  60. Nov 27, 2013
    This is a masterpiece.
    It is not about gameplay there are no interesting gameplay features.
    It is not about the graphics there is no hard work on it.

The Stanley Parable is a story, story of choice and its meaning. Perfect voice actor work helps you to come deep into this game, feel all the emotions this game provides. Perfect.

For me it is the game of the year..
  61. Nov 25, 2013
    Grate Game I Love It Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaankyou for making it
  62. Nov 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My mind is blown. This game is amazing, seriously, it encourages you to do things, that you wouldn't do in any other games, I'm trying to keep this as spoiler-free as I can, but, anything you say will spoil the multitude of choices that are laid out before you, you just have to figure out how to get to them. The game will reward you for thinking outside of the box, It will change you as a gamer. It will change you to the point, that you will begin to almost ignore the main path of a game and explore in search of alternate paths you could go down. Basically, we play as a man named Stanley, who is guided throughout his adventure by a voice, similar to that of LittleBigPlanet. We can choose whatever path we like, from listening to the "Narrator" (as he's referred to), to locking ourselves in a broom closet. Great game, worth the 11 Euro. This game gets a well deserved 10/10 from me. I encourage you to try the game for yourself and see how many endings you can find. And remember "The end is never the end, the end is loading" Expand
  63. Nov 23, 2013
    Funny. Awesome. Great. After I plyed all the endings, I searched for Eastereggs, and there are so many of them! I just love it. One of the funniest games I played the last time!
  64. Nov 23, 2013
    I really love this game. Its very short and you will have all endings in a small among of time but you will rly enjoy it. Go play the demo and buy it
  65. Nov 22, 2013
    SImple: 1. Follow the narrator. 2. Do not follow the narrator. This game has severe comic relief and will have you laughing on many occasions. The sense of freedom inside a very well thought story creates a great "choose your own adventure" feel. It would be nice to see more games like this and not the crap most indie "story-tellers" try to force out as a playable novel. A game this unique deserves a great review. And a cupcake. Expand
  66. Nov 21, 2013
    A beautiful masterpiece of mysterious mind games and a sarcastic yet superbly hilarious narrator to top it off, would have been a ten; however, they fail to bring many new elements to the game as opposed to the original free version yet it still works well when it does drawback to the previous edition in a nicely nostalgic way. A great game that will trap you in it's majestic maze of hilarity, intricacy and genius mixed in with just a pinch insanity. Overall it's a brilliant game with a priceless story if slightly repetitive game-play that will also make you think deeply about all sorts of philosophical rubbish 9/10. Expand
  67. Nov 19, 2013
    This game is very different from most, and in some cases you can't even consider it a game. Regardless of whatever you want to call The Stanley Parable, it made me laugh so hard I coughed my lungs out. While the game is a bit "short" nor re-playable, per se, it was definitely a fun experience and I hope to see more from the series.
  68. Nov 19, 2013
    This is definitely one of the more creative games I've seen! Everything about it is amazing. I can't say too much, because it might spoil on of the endings (There's more than one), other than get it now!
  69. Nov 19, 2013
    Perfect. There is no other words to describe this game.

You can't talk about this game without giving it spoilers, so I'll just say: play it.
    Is a full experience, you can choose everything, but at the same time, the game will choose for you. Even if you think to have broke the game, is all part of the game.
    I'm in love with Kevan Brighting voice, the narrator. Is simply perfect.

Really, but it, is just 10$ or something like that. Money really well spend.
  70. Nov 19, 2013
    When I first saw this game I had no clue what it was about and what it looked like. It's really interesting I really enjoyed. I'd love to see a sequel. Go buy this game!
  71. Nov 18, 2013
    Have you ever wanted a game that felt fresh? Maybe you just wanted something to keep you busy for an hour or so. If so the Stanley Parable is a perfect game for you. The game puts you in the place of Stanley, a worker, who goes off on an adventure being narrated by a unique fellow. The game starts off rather slow and feels fairly linear towards your actions. But after a few decision making the game widely opens up. This in return gives you a very rare experience not quite seen in other games. After going through a few of the endings and yes I did say a few as in their is many endings, you will end up finding yourself experimenting through each room in need to find another ending.

After a few times playing you will tend to get the feeling that you have seen everything. All though it may feel like that right when you think you have found all the endings you do something spectacular or so the narrator thinks that you did and then a new story awaits you. You may never know what you may find throughout the rest of the game, but there is one thing though about the Stanley Parable and that is that whatever you do in the game, you may never know where its going to lead you.

With this the Stanley Parable gets a solid 9/10
  72. Nov 16, 2013
    This game is beautiful, no other words than amazing. I do not want to contain spoilers but you can either go off the grid or follow a different tale. Buy it NOW. I was excepting to pay $60 or something but $15 just blows my mind. DEFINITE buy.
  73. Nov 16, 2013
    This game is unbelievable in the realm of video game design. Very cleverly thought out, with endings that will leave you either amazed or laughing, this short 1 and a half hour game is a must play if you don't require combat in order to have a great time.
  74. Nov 15, 2013
    I can remember only few games, which are really original and still very playable. Stanley Parable is one of them. Not so quite a masterpiece, like Portal games, but very interesting game, which asking so many questions, but don't give any answers. Really good time for people, who likes to think and watching for something new. Great and amusing game in the long list of boring and cliche games, like a real treasure! Expand
  75. Nov 14, 2013
    This truly might be the best game I have ever played! The story-telling is absolutely amazing and the twists and turns are most unexpected! An easy 10/10 from me!
  76. Nov 12, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is one of the greatest examples of how an indie game can be so good and so well done and creative with few tools.When looking at the game's core, the entire experience of playing can be defined by one word:creativity; whilst the game itself can be defined by another:choice.

The game's intense metalanguage can make you think for hours, and the way it is played can't
    be compared by any experience since it's such a unique game.It is quite short and can digress form it's own plot at times, even if at others this is it's main intention, going from the philosophic to the comic, yet it's an amazing work of art developer's wise, embracing the true power of games. Expand
  77. Nov 11, 2013
    The game is hard to explain really, other than the fact that it contains choices. That's all I can say. With an intelligent narrator that comes with hundreds upon hundred of phrases, I don't think I've played a more sophisticated game in my life. Hours and hours, with countless endings, you can just keep on playing. I do admit it can get boring, so I wouldn't play it for more than 2 hours at a time. Totally worth the $15. Expand
  78. Nov 11, 2013
    Love it It got a Portal feeling to it.... and it got a portal lvl in it Awesome!!
  79. Nov 9, 2013
    This is a beautiful game with tons of content and fantastic witty writing, with about 20 different fun, interesting and sometimes sad endings, off the wall weird achievements, and a sense of true exploration 9/10.
  80. Nov 8, 2013
    Oh My God! This game may be short, but I garantee you that after you played it throughout all the endings for one or more times, you will still come out Amazing game, with simple mechanics and a great narration! Highly recommended!
  81. Nov 8, 2013
    This is a must play. It is just another Half-Life mod, but this one is different. It offers an experience of many endings that will make you think about your life and everything around you.
  82. Nov 8, 2013
    I am delighted to see people saying t is isn't a real game because that shows their sheer lack of understanding of this game. It is a game, perhaps not the kind that "they" are used to. This is a situation much like Inception; the people who did not "get it" did not like it.
    So, The Stanley Parable, is above all else highly unique. It is also thought provoking, witty, charming, eerie, and
    funny all in but a few hours, well done. Expand
  83. Nov 7, 2013
    What begins as a very shiny interactive choose your own adventure style game quickly went south and I found myself staring at the wall beside my computer. I have never felt psychoanalyzed by a computer game, or even felt 'beaten' by one like this before. This the the most brilliant game I've ever played,

And it hate it.
  84. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What do you say about Stanley Parable......IT AWESOME! The narrator is funny, always wants you to hear his next words, and tells you were to go. If you don't he points his finger at and makes funny comments telling you that you're a waste to society well not that mean.) So if you want to laugh and if you want to hear his beautiful words then buy this game. Also there is no game play in this game. Expand
  85. Nov 5, 2013
    Clever game that really made me laugh and interest me. I would recommend the game to anyone whose a fan of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Really great voice acting also.
  86. Nov 4, 2013
    Calling this a game is quite a stretch. its more of a interactive set of stories all based on your decisions, besides the parable itself and its food for thought it is also just plain hilarious. the Narrator character and his lines are just plain genius and i just enjoy the "conflict" between the player and the narrator, which often ends in the narrator getting a little desperate. The Demo for the game is excellently designed as well. Getting the point across what the game is about, without spoiling it (it has its own story). If people are complaining about being disappointing at how its not a game then they haven't played the demo and should look up the "Raphael Parable" video that was made by the developers Expand
  87. Nov 4, 2013
    Magnificent. Sophie's World for gamers. Simply no doubt this is a 10/10, after only an hour or two. If you have a curious mind, don't investigate this game. Just get it.
  88. Nov 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Literally most creative game ever. It breaks the fourth-wall with good use. You will lose many hours to this games depth. There are extra dialog options by doing nothing. There are almost and infinite amount of things to do along the game. It is not only a game; It is more creative. I can even go to say that it isn't a game more so than it is a digital narrative journey. But the only way to truly appreciate the games attention to detail is to play the game. [spoiler] One of the options in a path is literally to unplug a cord to a phone as it rings. Another is where you just enable cheats in the game console. Then the narrator just puts you in a room with a table and keeps coming back to the point of how long he looked at tables to find the most serious table, and that the matter of enabling the cheats is a very serious matter and he must take action against it because he fears for you. Another time you stand in a broom closet and he first openly mocks the character then directly says the reason you are standing in the closet doing nothing is because the person playing has suddenly died- where he then yells to grab the attention of anyone listening to say you (The player) are dead. There are so many things to do it is crazy. This game offers more than just enjoyment, it offers and experience that no other game can offer you. This game is one of the best I have ever played and well worth the money spent. Expand
  89. Nov 3, 2013
    One of the most unique and compelling games you will ever play. The narrator is always so sarcastic, but also so enjoyable. The Stanley Parable also has a lot of replay-ability, because there are so many different ending. Definitely a game for everyone that enjoys having their brain confused at times.
  90. Nov 3, 2013
    This gamne is very gud. My favourite charcter is called Stanley. He is very good person. My Compuper ma bob dosn't alwasys run Stanley game. This makes me very sad......

But! I liek it!
  91. Nov 3, 2013
    Confused audiences are expecting this is to be a game, they're right. But it's not a game at the same time. I like to call it interactive poetry. It's not about the action, it's about the story and their thoughtful conclusions after each ending. This is probably going to be one of the last original masterpieces before every idea is used in the human mind. I don't think the original HL2 Source engine and the remake are different from each other. I believe that both should be rated the maximum rating on all gamers' reviews.
    Please, whoever you are, take the time to buy this game. It's only $14.99. You would not regret it.
  92. Nov 3, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is a unique and satisfying experience you won't find in another game. The game is very, very appealing and I can hardly find something bad about it. TSP is a must-play! You must try it! Trust me!
  93. Nov 2, 2013
    One of the best game play experiences I had in a long time. If you wonder if the game is for you, just take the demo either you will like it's weirdness and humor or you won't. And if you do buy it and play it, don't rush it. It is short, but worth every second.
  94. Nov 1, 2013
    Without giving anything away, this game is very unique and will f*** with your mind at first. It has some funny moments and references. You will play it for max 2 hours and it has 0 replay value once you've finish it all, but it deserves to be played at least once by everybody. A fun, entertaining little game.
  95. Nov 1, 2013
    To be honest, no game has made anyone think as much as this game. For some reason, this game, despite being incredibly short to people that do not have the patience to pursue the true endings of this game, sparks something inside everyone that plays it. It could be the hilarious dialogue, the inventive endings or the incredible simplicity of the story but no matter what it is, we need more games like this. I recommend going into this game not knowing anything about it. This is for the optimal experience, so I will not continue to say anything other than Buy this game. You owe it to yourself. Expand
  96. Oct 31, 2013
    This is a game that isn't a game. It is an adventure that isn't an adventure. It is a oxymoron that isn't an oxymoron.

This is a game where there is no action, this is a narrative story. If you look for all the little secrets, it'll take you about 4 hours. If you rush through every ending and don't bother with any of the funny little hidden things, maybe about 2 hours. If you look at
    the achievements and then decide not to buy the game because the game can be sped run in less than 4 minutes and 22 seconds, just remember how Mario Bros. can be finished in less than 5 minutes.

If you like the narrator you will love it, if you hate the narrator you will hate it. End of story, personally I liked him and his humor so this is a 9/10 for me. If you don't like him you'll probably rate it anywhere from a 0-3.
  97. Oct 31, 2013
    A great game. Just trust me. I cannot spoil anything. The 2011 mod was amazing, so is this one. A little short however. Just amazing. You can but it on steam for $15.
  98. Oct 31, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant. It's like Antichamber meets Bastion meets The Fight Club. Note that it's closer to an interactive storytelling than to a game per se, however the branching and numerous quirks are so complex that no other media besides games can offer the same experience.
  99. Oct 30, 2013
    One of the best things I have played in a long time. For the few hours this takes to complete in its entity this is engrossing and totally throws everything you think about video game conventions on its head. I think you need to just take it at face value and you will have one of the best video game experiences in years. Top stuff
  100. Oct 30, 2013
    This game is very interesting,i have played the half life 2 mod before that,and some endings are the same.
    I enjoyed how the world was changing or repeating when i walked trough a door,and how the voice told some "rude" things like "you don't listen" or "you are doing all this for the achievement?" and i really couldn't stop laughing when he said something to me.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is many things. It's an interactive comedy, an existential riddle and an experiment in storytelling. Most importantly, it's pretty good. [Nov 2013]
  2. Jan 23, 2014
    It's one of those games that tries and succeeds in making a bold statement. Be prepared for something really special.
  3. Dec 25, 2013
    Step away from this review and play it now. Or don't. Whatever you do is already ordained. OR IS IT?! [Jan 2014, p.83]