The Stanley Parable PC

8.0

1. Jun 14, 2015
    I did not expect to be a pretty good game. It is really funny and very fun .
  2. Feb 1, 2016
    The Stanley Parable was originally a Half-Life 2 Mod, But now Valve has remade it on the Portal 2 engine, also adding new endings and features. The Stanley Parable is an amazing and ground breaking game, that you should buy if you are a PC gamer. If I tell you how this game is so amazing, it will spoil the experience for you. This game is also a good filler while waiting for Half - Life 3.The Stanley Parable was originally a Half-Life 2 Mod, But now Valve has remade it on the Portal 2 engine, also adding new endings and features. The Stanley Parable is an amazing and ground breaking game, that you should buy if you are a PC gamer. If I tell you how this game is so amazing, it will spoil the experience for you. This game is also a good filler while waiting for Half - Life 3. My only problem is that it's not on the Xbox 360 or PS3, but even that doesn't stop me from giving this amazing game a 10. Expand
  3. Jun 26, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is a very strange but very interesting game. It is very short - about 2-3 hours in terms of total content - but the game can be "beaten" within ten minutes. The important thing to recognize is that "beating" the game isn't the point - the game has north of a dozen endings, and rather than diverging only at the end, the entire GAME changes between them.

The thing to

The thing to recognize about this game is that it is a humor-based game which is also a meta-commentary on other video games, choice in video games (or the illusion thereof), and many other things. Ironically, it has more actual choice than almost any other video game has.

Explaining why the game is great pretty much is a huge spoiler for the game; if you watch the trailers for the game and think they're intriguing, then you're going to enjoy the game. If you don't think the trailers are interesting, then the game will annoy you. And because the trailers are legitimately entertaining in their own right, you aren't wasting your time by watching them.

A word of warning though - the game IS quite short. It has about 2-3 hours worth of content, which is right for what the game is, but you should be aware of that when you buy it. While it is a high quality piece of entertainment, I would say that most people will sit down and go through all the content in a single evening and then likely never touch the game again. So, be aware of that when you buy it, and consider its price accordingly. Still, it is a great game for what it is, though goodness knows what one really calls a game like this - there aren't really any other games which are quite like it.
  4. Nov 11, 2015
    A pretty fun and unusual game. It's mostly a parody on certain mechanics used in games, most notably the idea of player choice. Throughout the entire time, there is a narrator speaking to the player, who is trying hard to guide the player along a certain direction. The player can then choose to listen to the narrator or wander off and do what they feel like, which gets on narrator'sA pretty fun and unusual game. It's mostly a parody on certain mechanics used in games, most notably the idea of player choice. Throughout the entire time, there is a narrator speaking to the player, who is trying hard to guide the player along a certain direction. The player can then choose to listen to the narrator or wander off and do what they feel like, which gets on narrator's nerves.

There isn't all that much content in the game, and I kind of wish it had more, but what is there is certainly worth experiencing. The game is both funny and thought-provoking. "Now, Stanley, let's go and find the story." :D
  5. Oct 21, 2013
    Lots of Re-playability. Hilarious Narrator and Nice Graphics. This game will keep you coming back to try and find every ending possible. At such a low price this is definitely a game to pick up!
  6. Jan 11, 2014
    The game is unique and awesome. I dont want to spoil, but I reccomend anyone who plays not only dumb-style CS games, but some games actually makes you think at least a little. This reminds me of Portal games (Portal is better obv.) This game is very short and it is not actually a game after all, thats why I cant rate it maximum, but believe me, you gonna enjoy it!
  7. Jun 24, 2015
    "This is the story about a man named Stanley" - The Strange Narrator

The first words I hear when I play this amazing first person narrative game. It is one of the best narrative games I have played in a while. With confusing endings to really crazy achievements. This game is really satisfying in what it does. I highly recommend getting this game while you can.
  8. Nov 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Create an interactive experience that challenges preconceived notions of free will and player choice in video games as well as in life.

Graphics: Simple, but not poor.

Sound: The narration is witty and amusing as often as it is spoken- which is the entire time. You should enjoy it at first, even if it does get old later on. The experience is too short for it to become horrendously annoying.

Playability: Basic at best. Point, move, click, interact, slide. Simple.

Entertainment: The majority of the entertaining qualities come from each ending once you discover them, and the branching choices of each path as well.

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 8.0
  9. Nov 11, 2013
    The game is hard to explain really, other than the fact that it contains choices. That's all I can say. With an intelligent narrator that comes with hundreds upon hundred of phrases, I don't think I've played a more sophisticated game in my life. Hours and hours, with countless endings, you can just keep on playing. I do admit it can get boring, so I wouldn't play it for more than 2 hoursThe game is hard to explain really, other than the fact that it contains choices. That's all I can say. With an intelligent narrator that comes with hundreds upon hundred of phrases, I don't think I've played a more sophisticated game in my life. Hours and hours, with countless endings, you can just keep on playing. I do admit it can get boring, so I wouldn't play it for more than 2 hours at a time. Totally worth the $15. Expand
  10. Oct 22, 2013
    A game like this is very hard to describe due to how original it is. It's also hard to describe without spoiling anything. So I'll try to be general but still descriptive enough. It's intelligent and classy yet paradoxical and zany. It's a game that will always leave you curious and always thinking while maintaining rather simple styles of gameplay. Very worthy the money.
  11. Mar 1, 2014
    Great narrator. I really liked him. He describes everything I do and every choice I make, like I'm in a book. The Stanley Parable is the first of its kind. It criticizes the modern way of living and shows how this life really looks like. The story is unpredictable. I thought that I'm playing that game. But later I said: Oh I feel stupid. This game is playing me.
  12. Oct 20, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is an adventure game, and the premise is that you play as Stanley, a man who is content at his job where he pushes the buttons he's told to all day, every day. When Stanley discovers that his office is mysteriously empty, he decides to investigate. He comes to a room with two doors, and according to the narrator, Stanley chooses the door on his left, but you'reThe Stanley Parable is an adventure game, and the premise is that you play as Stanley, a man who is content at his job where he pushes the buttons he's told to all day, every day. When Stanley discovers that his office is mysteriously empty, he decides to investigate. He comes to a room with two doors, and according to the narrator, Stanley chooses the door on his left, but you're controlling Stanley, not the narrator.

There are many, many choices in this game, and they all have interesting consequences. I'm not going to spoil any choices (beyond the first), because the magic of The Stanley Parable is figuring it out yourself. It also helps that the humor in this game is great.

This game's demo is free, and you should play it. Seriously. Even if you plan to get this game, play the demo first, because the content is entirely different from the main game, and there's at least one joke from the demo that is referenced in the game. If you want more, check out the original Stanley Parable, which is also free. This game is a remake of that game with much more content.

This isn't much of a "game", but as a piece of interactive storytelling, it's wonderful. If you're curious, try the demo, and if you liked that, you'll love the main game. For me, it was definitely worth $15 and I would definitely recommend it. If I were to rate this game from one to ten, it would get an EIGHT! EIGHT! EIGHT!
  13. Aug 5, 2015
    I really enjoyed the Stanley Parable. Clever game, with excellent narration and rewards exploration. If you like walking sims and just exploring the worlds to see what will happen there's plenty to find in this game - and again the narration is excellent. If you've worked in an office environment there's a lot of jokes to identify with also - but there's also some thoughtfulI really enjoyed the Stanley Parable. Clever game, with excellent narration and rewards exploration. If you like walking sims and just exploring the worlds to see what will happen there's plenty to find in this game - and again the narration is excellent. If you've worked in an office environment there's a lot of jokes to identify with also - but there's also some thoughtful philosophical observations built into the game. I've played about 5 1/2 hours so far trying to find different hidden elements of the game and have found alot of them, but there are still more.

If this even sounds halfway interesting to you play it. I haven't played anything quite like it, and found it totally worth the exploration.
  14. Sep 11, 2015
    I have no doubts giving this game a 9 out of 10.
    It's amazing how was I truly surprised and confused, toyed-with and helped by this game. For me this game is pure genius and I had an insane amount of enjoyment playing it.
    I have no doubts giving this game a 9 out of 10.
    Still I won't recommend it to everyone, because a lot of people may find this game meaningless and boring (If you enjoyed portal, you may like this, even if it's quite more "deep").
  15. Oct 27, 2014
    It's very difficult to describe what kind of game this is. But to sum it all up in my book, it's the choice-lovers' kind of game. Imagine if Morgan Freeman narrated the character of your life and you are able to hear it and decide to give that narrator the middle finger by not following his instructions and he decide to narrate and argue back into you following him--- That's one way toIt's very difficult to describe what kind of game this is. But to sum it all up in my book, it's the choice-lovers' kind of game. Imagine if Morgan Freeman narrated the character of your life and you are able to hear it and decide to give that narrator the middle finger by not following his instructions and he decide to narrate and argue back into you following him--- That's one way to describe this game. Expand
  16. Oct 29, 2013
    The Stanley parable is a wonderful game. far from perfect, but wonderful. It has witty and humorous narration, it's fantastically confusing, and it's weird and unique. It naturally has it's issues, it's far too linear, each area of gameplay is too short, and sometimes gets repetitive. This is, however, a game everyone should try. Just remember though, you can't finish the Stanley parable.The Stanley parable is a wonderful game. far from perfect, but wonderful. It has witty and humorous narration, it's fantastically confusing, and it's weird and unique. It naturally has it's issues, it's far too linear, each area of gameplay is too short, and sometimes gets repetitive. This is, however, a game everyone should try. Just remember though, you can't finish the Stanley parable. Not even Stanley can. Expand
  17. Jan 25, 2016
    A fan-made mod witch was made into a game? A fan-made game? That can never be bad, right? Yeah, I was corect. Stanley Parable is a GREAT game. But after finding all the endings and laughing, theres nothing to do.
  18. Nov 9, 2015
    It's one of those games where you walk around, but it's much more interactive than most. It responds to all your choices, and the main fun of the matter is taking things in unexpected directions to see if the game is ready for it. Most of the time, it is, and has a new story branch to go right along with it. They thought of almost everything. There are a great deal of possible endings toIt's one of those games where you walk around, but it's much more interactive than most. It responds to all your choices, and the main fun of the matter is taking things in unexpected directions to see if the game is ready for it. Most of the time, it is, and has a new story branch to go right along with it. They thought of almost everything. There are a great deal of possible endings to discover and a few hours of pure comedy to enjoy. If you're not into meta-comedy or mocking the basics of game design in general, you won't find much to laugh at, but as someone who enjoys this sort of thing, it's irresistibly clever, made better by its wonderful narrator. Expand
  19. Dec 27, 2013
    A refreshing indie game with an ironic view on first person adventure games. At least it isn't a linear storytelling like Dear Eshter or the controversial Gone Home. It was fun, has many endings you can explore. Still, it felt a little bit overpriced when it came out.
  20. Mar 12, 2014
    I have played this and for a second I thought the game was going to be a horror one. I don't know, I liked it, but the single thing I didn't like is the fact that you have to play it many times to understand the rest of the story and you have to die in a point.
  21. Jan 1, 2014
    To be honest I was scared the whole time I played this. I'm so accustomed to violent super serious games that every corner I feared that there was some jump scare or zombie awaiting me. But once I played it a million times over I knew I had nothing to worry about. The game is almost perfect.
  22. ave
    Feb 7, 2015
    The Stanley Parable demo was intriguing enough to get me play the whole game.

Even if the total play time is quite short (about 2 / 3 hours to reach the supposed end) the game succeeds in proposing an original and unsettling experience. Starting like a seamingly adventure game, you quickly realize that there are no objects to collect or puzzles to solve - except the whole meaning of
    The Stanley Parable demo was intriguing enough to get me play the whole game.

Starting like a seamingly adventure game, you quickly realize that there are no objects to collect or puzzles to solve - except the whole meaning of game itself. And it's here where it really shines.

One critical aspect of all adventure games is plot and dialogue. Here the plot is as mysterious as you could imagine, and the narrator perplexity in what you do funny as well. After a while, you just enjoy the simple act of doing the opposite of what you are supposed to do, exercing free will, enjoying a strange feeling of agency even if it leads to the brutal death of the brave Stanley.

The game even reach the point of developing beyond the Stranger than Fiction plot (if you happen to know the movie) for a moment of sheer delight.

Really, The Stanley Parable does something powerful in the game world : instead of being a little of everything that works in different genres (like Incredibles Adventures of Van Helsing), it does not try to be strong where it's weak and focuses all its strengh on what it's great at!

And the developers should be praised for that :)
  23. Nov 14, 2014
    Original concept, works great and doesn't require much of a computer. If you get it at 6$ its a 8, but if u got it for 3$ like me I would give it a 10. Not the longest game but if u get it cheap it'll be worth it.
  24. Jan 28, 2014
    There has been three indies in 2013 that stole my heart. Gone Home, Papers Please and The Stanley Parable. The three are my addiction, my gems, my precious golden rings.
    But somehow, The Stanley Parable is the one I most enjoyed. Maybe because I never know what to expect, because each playthrough is completely different. Maybe because I have never played the Half Life mod so I don't actually know how the original is, and still, find this incredibly good. It is darkly funny, confusing and dazzling. It may not have the best visuals and the gameplay is pretty simple. But the amount of freedom (Or not) in this game is outstanding.
    First of all, some of the best writing is here. Even the achievements are funny (Take a look at them). You are Stanley and a narrator is sort of telling you what to do. You can obey him or disobey him and this can take you through a lot of different endings and situations. I love decision-based games, and this the motherload as you must discover the decisions. And it is not knowing what will come next what makes the game so exciting.
    The visuals are good. They will not make your eyes overload with exuberant beauty, but they are not clunky. In fact, play it in a powerful PC, and you have a damn pretty game. It is a game you have to experience with as little knowledge as possible to enjoy its fully potential. The Stanley Parable is one of this year's best Indies. But remember, THISISNEVERTHEEND.
  25. Oct 19, 2013
    We absolutely need more games like this one. One of those rare games where you find yourself laughing with tears. I haven't had so much fun in a game since Portal 1. Very witty and creative.
  26. Mar 2, 2014
    Quite an experience. This is a must play for everyone. Hilarious duologue, and a huge branching narrative will have you coming back again and again looking for every detail in the "story". Just when you think you have found everything, the game throws you a curve ball and you go for another wild journey with the narrator.
  27. Mar 14, 2014
    This game is definitely over-hyped and undeserving of its numerous 10/10 scores. This is an indie game with more of a message than a deep story. This game has more wit and charm than substance, and I've noticed how it and others like it often get overrated by critics.

That being said, it is a very fun and funny game. I really enjoyed seeing all the content that it had to offer, even if I had to look up how to do a lot of it. I won't go into its plot or even the game mechanics, since that might be a slight spoiler.

I will say that if you like Portal or similar type games (and have an open mind about what games should be), you will like this. I don't mean that Portal didn't have substance, because it did.

Also, $15 bucks is a bit much for a MAX 2-3 hour game, with little replay-ability beyond showing friends. It is a good game worth playing, though. 8/10
  28. Oct 17, 2013
    Stanley Parable. Steam PC. Score 10. Demo is a gem. So are you. This review is 150 characters because I love you; and steam; and my cat; I shaved my c
  29. Oct 18, 2013
    Very entertaining, but short lived... the voice acting is amazing and it makes the whole experience (its not a game as such) very enjoyable indeed. Its very reminiscent of Douglas Adams in the writing style and if you enjoyed Hitch-hikers or Portal 2 I think you would enjoy this. Too many reviews gush at this title, then try to be obtuse to be cool, its not the best thing since Half-LifeVery entertaining, but short lived... the voice acting is amazing and it makes the whole experience (its not a game as such) very enjoyable indeed. Its very reminiscent of Douglas Adams in the writing style and if you enjoyed Hitch-hikers or Portal 2 I think you would enjoy this. Too many reviews gush at this title, then try to be obtuse to be cool, its not the best thing since Half-Life 2, but it is an enjoyable and intelligent work that is worth your attention. Expand
  30. Jul 22, 2014
    A very entertaining and funny indie game. I can't really say much about it without spoiling it for those who haven't played it yet. If you are curious pick it up and experience it yourself, i highly recommend it.
  31. Oct 18, 2013
    It's a fun, refreshing experience. It's not much of a game though, much more of an experience or some sort of art within itself. While I did enjoy the game very much I also do think most reviewers highly exaggerate. It's a fun 2-3 hour experience depending how curious you are. I myself played around 2½ and went every path, discovering 95% of what the game has to offer. I looked it up soIt's a fun, refreshing experience. It's not much of a game though, much more of an experience or some sort of art within itself. While I did enjoy the game very much I also do think most reviewers highly exaggerate. It's a fun 2-3 hour experience depending how curious you are. I myself played around 2½ and went every path, discovering 95% of what the game has to offer. I looked it up so that's why I know that I missed two easter eggs. Overall the narrator was great. the gameplay nonexistent, but the experience humorous and interesting. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't mind shorter experiences with no replay value. Once you have seen all the paths and endings there is no reason to ever play again as you discovered everything there is and then it just repeats itself. Good game, but nowhere near 'OMG best game eva, GOTY 2013!' as many silly fan boys make it out to be. Expand
  32. Oct 19, 2013
    It's been so long since a game surprised me with it's originality and satisfied my curiosity. The game is about following the narrator's story, and how much you want to deviate. It's a constant narrative between the player and the narrator, and in the end the game plays you as much as you play it.
  33. Oct 26, 2014
    STANLEY PARABLE IS A GREAT GAME THAT TELLS YOU NOT JUST A STORY,BUT A GREAT AND FUNNY ONE.
    +Great Narrator/Funny Narrator
    +Great Endings/Funny Endings
    +Great Graphics
    +Great Story
    +Awesome Easter Eggs
    However...
    -I think there should be an update with more endings.But this doesn't change nothing,it's still a...
    10/10.
  34. Oct 23, 2013
    Another game which reduces almost every previous game by one point. for fun to cost to time ration this game is spot on. I have never laughed so hard, i have never been so immersed in a game. even the demo was a fantastic piece of work. technical, its not that brilliant. its ye olde source engine, and game play wise its not much new, but if you want a story, a story so compelling andAnother game which reduces almost every previous game by one point. for fun to cost to time ration this game is spot on. I have never laughed so hard, i have never been so immersed in a game. even the demo was a fantastic piece of work. technical, its not that brilliant. its ye olde source engine, and game play wise its not much new, but if you want a story, a story so compelling and interactive. this is you best bet. GOTY, possibly (well as GTA V isn't on PC i couldn't say) but PC GOTY. hell yes. Expand
  35. Jan 23, 2014
    A game that is both fun and interesting and I can guarantee that it will make you think outside the box. The Narrator is what makes this game great and thanks to his priceless comments, you'll end up doing the weirdest things just to see his reaction to it :-)
    One of the greatest things about this game is that you can never quite finish it. There'll always be a few things you've missed here and there, and even though I've played it for quite a while now there's probably still 1 or 2 endings I haven't found yet.
    In any case this is a great game and I'll recommend it to anyone with a sense of humor :D
  36. Nov 16, 2013
    Stanley Parable is a totally anomalous experience, an interactive adventure with a limited gameplay but capable to attract thanks to the absurd relation between the player and the Narrator. Deserves to be played! VIRTUALINN.IT
  37. Nov 3, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is a unique and satisfying experience you won't find in another game. The game is very, very appealing and I can hardly find something bad about it. TSP is a must-play! You must try it! Trust me!
  38. Nov 11, 2014
    You will love this game. I promise. I will lick my shoes if you don't. How can you not like such an original game? It's so empty, yet rich with dialogue and personality and humour.
  39. Jul 17, 2014
    I'm giving this a 10 because it's one of the games that makes me happy to be a PC gamer. Because it's built so powerfully around humour, your experience may vary considerably from mine. It's not like Portal 2, where if Wheatley and GlaDOS's script left you cold (you monster) then at least you had the excellent puzzle action. This game is for anyone who loved Portal 2's writing, for fans ofI'm giving this a 10 because it's one of the games that makes me happy to be a PC gamer. Because it's built so powerfully around humour, your experience may vary considerably from mine. It's not like Portal 2, where if Wheatley and GlaDOS's script left you cold (you monster) then at least you had the excellent puzzle action. This game is for anyone who loved Portal 2's writing, for fans of Douglas Adams, for fans of British TV comedy. It's going to occupy you for a limited amount of time - maybe 3 hours or so, possibly more if you go through the Wikia to find all the secrets - so you'll have to decide if you think that's worth it. I and many thousands of others did, and we regret nothing. Expand
  40. Jan 18, 2014
    A fascinating and fresh game. At first it may seem it will be an awful experience, because there's no guns or explosions. But you'll quickly understand why this game deserves such high ratings.
    There's is 0 gameplay, you walk and you walk... and walk.
    Along with your walking there will be a funny, interesting and humorous narrator. You make the story with your decisions, you change the
    There's is 0 gameplay, you walk and you walk... and walk.
    You make the story with your decisions, you change the course of the game with the paths you take, and the narrator always has an opinion on everything you do.
    And the voice actor... OHH, the voice actor. A majestic voice that will make you shed a tear with every sentence.
    You have a lot of paths you can take, and the game has a lot of endings and secrets!
    I wasted around 2-3 hours playing and re-playing the game, trying to get all the endings. I still missed 1
    or 2 "secret endings, but nothing major.
    Anyways, this game is a great experience and it's different from anything out there right now.
    I don't give it a 10/10 because after completing the game it has 0 re-playability, and the game starts getting a little repetitive after your 100th try, but it quickly hides it with the new narrator lines.
    Go buy it, you will not regret it.
  41. Oct 19, 2013
    Any information about this game would pretty much ruin it. You explore an office looking for your co-workers and you are presented with simple decisions like which door to take. It's very enjoyable and there are tons of alternate endings and hidden easter eggs. Not a game in the traditional sense but a great experience.
  42. May 7, 2015
    i played this game without knowing anything about it and i strongly suggest you do the same. extremely weird in a good way and it makes you play it over and over.
  43. Dec 28, 2013
    Stanley Parable is simply a masterpiece in the sense of a great Narrative experience. It's wacky, hilarious, and just an overall good play. The only reason I gave it an 8 instead of a perfect 10 is simply for how expensive it is for its ridiculously short duration for its $20 price tag! I love the game and will definitely go back to it, but the very small amount of things in the game causeStanley Parable is simply a masterpiece in the sense of a great Narrative experience. It's wacky, hilarious, and just an overall good play. The only reason I gave it an 8 instead of a perfect 10 is simply for how expensive it is for its ridiculously short duration for its $20 price tag! I love the game and will definitely go back to it, but the very small amount of things in the game cause it to be completed in an afternoon and leaves you upset at how much you spent for a fraction of a "video version of a chapter of a book" (thankfully, Steam frequently put it on sale in how quickly it already came out, so you can nab it for cheaper). Overall, good experience, but damn is it short! Expand
  44. Nov 12, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is one of the greatest examples of how an indie game can be so good and so well done and creative with few tools.When looking at the game's core, the entire experience of playing can be defined by one word:creativity; whilst the game itself can be defined by another:choice.

The game's intense metalanguage can make you think for hours, and the way it is played can't be compared by any experience since it's such a unique game.It is quite short and can digress form it's own plot at times, even if at others this is it's main intention, going from the philosophic to the comic, yet it's an amazing work of art developer's wise, embracing the true power of games.
  45. Nov 30, 2013
    It's a unique experience! The Stanley Parable it's completely unpredictable and captively. The game makes you think about many things, things really strange for just a game, like "what really matter in your life", "what is freedom". Have a great narrator and there were no bugs while I was playing.
  46. Nov 15, 2013
    I can remember only few games, which are really original and still very playable. Stanley Parable is one of them. Not so quite a masterpiece, like Portal games, but very interesting game, which asking so many questions, but don't give any answers. Really good time for people, who likes to think and watching for something new. Great and amusing game in the long list of boring and clicheI can remember only few games, which are really original and still very playable. Stanley Parable is one of them. Not so quite a masterpiece, like Portal games, but very interesting game, which asking so many questions, but don't give any answers. Really good time for people, who likes to think and watching for something new. Great and amusing game in the long list of boring and cliche games, like a real treasure! Expand
  47. Apr 13, 2014
    A unique game that every intelligent gamer should play.
    Unique and intelligent humour in every turn, voice acting so good I doubt an another game even comes close to the emotional undertones of the narrator.
  48. Nov 4, 2013
    Calling this a game is quite a stretch. its more of a interactive set of stories all based on your decisions, besides the parable itself and its food for thought it is also just plain hilarious. the Narrator character and his lines are just plain genius and i just enjoy the "conflict" between the player and the narrator, which often ends in the narrator getting a little desperate. The DemoCalling this a game is quite a stretch. its more of a interactive set of stories all based on your decisions, besides the parable itself and its food for thought it is also just plain hilarious. the Narrator character and his lines are just plain genius and i just enjoy the "conflict" between the player and the narrator, which often ends in the narrator getting a little desperate. The Demo for the game is excellently designed as well. Getting the point across what the game is about, without spoiling it (it has its own story). If people are complaining about being disappointing at how its not a game then they haven't played the demo and should look up the "Raphael Parable" video that was made by the developers Expand
  49. Dec 29, 2013
    I have never laughed so much playing a game as I did playing The Stanley Parable. I've played for over an hour and i have yet to see every ending and easter egg. While i don't think it is quite worth the full price, any sale price would make this game well worth the price.
  50. Oct 18, 2013
    The game sets out to prove how flawed and pointless modern gaming is, and proves the point perfectly, with dozens of examples that are thought-provoking and in some cases quite entertaining. I haven't laughed so much at a game in a long time.

There is hope for gaming after all.
  51. Feb 24, 2014
    Who says games needed gameplay? This is an incredible piece of self-satirical art that is unlike anything else you have ever played. If you prefer shooting aliens in the face over subtext, don't buy this, but if can appreciate a subtle, clever experience, BUY THIS NOW.
  52. Oct 23, 2013
    After playing this for 20 hours I am still trying to find new endings and secrets. I am searching for discussions on the Steam forums that have solutions for getting new secrets and achievements. I will say it is worth every cent I paid for it and I hope you guys also will buy it because you will have good times playing it.
  53. Jan 3, 2014
    Incredibly diverse... that is one particularly fitting way to describe this game.
    Never before have I had the pleasure of putting so much time into a pointless game.
    Most likely because it is not a game... it's an experience.
    One that I recommend to everyone... and don't be shy to pick up a walk trough at the end to see what you have been missing!
  54. Aug 31, 2015
    Entertaining, that's how I would explain this game if I had one word and one word only.

Love the voice of the narrator, he is the all of the game, if it wasn;t for him the game wouldn't even be called a game.

Had a good 2 hours with it.
  55. Sep 12, 2014
    Very good, interesting, intelligent and intriguing game, It's very different than many action-oriented games, but that doesn't mean it's boring, quite the opposite, it's very different and that is good.
  56. Oct 30, 2013
    This game is very interesting,i have played the half life 2 mod before that,and some endings are the same.
    I enjoyed how the world was changing or repeating when i walked trough a door,and how the voice told some "rude" things like "you don't listen" or "you are doing all this for the achievement?" and i really couldn't stop laughing when he said something to me.
  57. Jan 14, 2014
    Don't expect a game, because The Stanley Parable is more like a movie, except slightly more engaging since you control the character's movement. It gives you a false sense of control and decision making as you discover a handful of possible endings, of which you could see them all in a few hours of walking around and enjoying the wonderful announcer's voice. Incredible concept. I wasDon't expect a game, because The Stanley Parable is more like a movie, except slightly more engaging since you control the character's movement. It gives you a false sense of control and decision making as you discover a handful of possible endings, of which you could see them all in a few hours of walking around and enjoying the wonderful announcer's voice. Incredible concept. I was thoroughly entertained. My only complaint was that there wasn't that much content, but if you treat it like a movie, then it was fairly priced and I got a good deal.

PS: Voice work was 10/10
  58. Dec 15, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Does it have actual gameplay? Neither did The Walking Dead and that (my favorite game) won game of the year, so it just depends on how you look at it. If you don't appreciate (abstract) storytelling you will not like this game. However, if you go into it with an open mind, you will come out with an amazing experience, with a profound messageOne of the best games I have ever played. Does it have actual gameplay? Neither did The Walking Dead and that (my favorite game) won game of the year, so it just depends on how you look at it. If you don't appreciate (abstract) storytelling you will not like this game. However, if you go into it with an open mind, you will come out with an amazing experience, with a profound message backed by a brilliant and intriguing soundtrack. An altogether beautiful game. Expand
  59. May 1, 2014
    If there ever was a game that deserved LESS to be said about it, this is it. You really need to dive in head first and try it. Completely original and entertaining. Especially if you've ever worked in an office.
  60. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Stanley Parable is the best game ever created, I played it as much as it played me... The Stanley Parable is about [Insert Here]. Yes, the [Insert Here] is really great in this game and it's very much like how the [Insert Here] is in real life. Don't be fooled, [Insert Here] is real and is used by the [Insert Here] to [Insert Here] the masses... 10/10/10 Expand
  61. Nov 4, 2013
    Magnificent. Sophie's World for gamers. Simply no doubt this is a 10/10, after only an hour or two. If you have a curious mind, don't investigate this game. Just get it.
  62. Oct 24, 2013
    It's not an FPS, it's not an adventure, it's an experience, a brand new genre, probably like those in Dear Esther or somekind. I never played those kind of games BTW, but Stanley Parable got great reviews everywhere and it kinda intrigue me, so why not.

At first I thought it was something like Portal, but no. Probably the closest comparison to Stanley Parable are text game adventures back in the DOS, or way back to Apple era, where you choose different choices, but now they actually visualize it with Source Engine. One very memorable game I remember was Mickey's Space Adventure. Yep, probably that's the closest comparison.

It start of simple, just an ordinary, average 9-5 employee working in his room. Then you choose what to do. The story grows, and grows. It is said that there're tons of possibilities in this game, so far I only found few. And the game actually tickle your curiosity so you will guaranteed coming back for more.

It's definitely not for everyone, but the story truly made me think about "choices". Specially choices I made in my real life.

And also it's a warm welcome and breath of new fresh air among those popular, mainstream "me too" horror, FPS, war, etc games.
  63. Oct 21, 2013
    This is not a game. It's a lousy experiment with a pricey tag. There are better (and, actually, you know) GAMES than this for the price. Wild Games Studio ask too much.
  64. Oct 17, 2013
    The probability of anybody expecting or even anticipating something as mindblowing as "the Stanley Parable" is next to none. But it happened, and the Stanley's path is a wonderful journey of emotions, interactions and fun. For what seemed like hours, I was sitting back, and enjoying the narrative experience that the Stanley's Parable is. The truth was, the game is so rich and diverse inThe probability of anybody expecting or even anticipating something as mindblowing as "the Stanley Parable" is next to none. But it happened, and the Stanley's path is a wonderful journey of emotions, interactions and fun. For what seemed like hours, I was sitting back, and enjoying the narrative experience that the Stanley's Parable is. The truth was, the game is so rich and diverse in it's very core that it dragged me in it's story far more than it should. Everything about the game that needs to be executed properly, well... is. It exceeds my expectations of top-notch games with it's original approach to an original setting. The great factor about the Stanley Parable is it's terrific replay value. I couldn't believe how much fun could discovering all the endings be, as well as how funny and original many of the jokes and pun this game makes are. It is the first game this year that makes me really think about what it tries to present to the player, with it's clever monologues and great scripting. It is hard for me not to recommend this masterpiece to everyone I know, but I think YOU! will do. Good luck trying to exit the beautiful, simplistic world of The Stanley Parable, because I'm still trapped in the room 427. Expand
  65. Oct 30, 2013
    This is a game you will love completely or hate completely. I enjoyed the game a lot but I can see how others would not like the game, very story driven but not much action (but for a game like this it shouldn't have much)
  66. Jan 16, 2014
    Engaging and interesting. The intelligence and interactivity with the narrator in regards to actions effecting the story telling is a lot of fun to be honest. Thorough enjoyable.
    I also love games that are a viable "I only feel like playing for 20-30 minutes before I have to do something" game, as it can be as short or as long as you want. Good game.
  67. Nov 1, 2013
    Without giving anything away, this game is very unique and will f*** with your mind at first. It has some funny moments and references. You will play it for max 2 hours and it has 0 replay value once you've finish it all, but it deserves to be played at least once by everybody. A fun, entertaining little game.
  68. Oct 21, 2013
    This game is brilliant. You don't play the game, they game plays you. The game is also full of jokes, easter eggs and much more. A game hasn't intentionally made me laugh in years! So this is an amazing game.

P.S.
    The end is never the end...
  69. Nov 8, 2013
    I am delighted to see people saying t is isn't a real game because that shows their sheer lack of understanding of this game. It is a game, perhaps not the kind that "they" are used to. This is a situation much like Inception; the people who did not "get it" did not like it.
    So, The Stanley Parable, is above all else highly unique. It is also thought provoking, witty, charming, eerie, and funny all in but a few hours, well done.
  70. Jun 9, 2014
    I was a bit disappointed for one reason ; The length of the game. I bought this game 15$ on steam and finished all the endings in 2 hours. If you can get it on sale for 3$ than it worth it!

On the other hand, it is a totally original game that makes you a part of an unfinished story! You work out with the narrator to find your way to the end! I hope there will be some DLC's to extend the playtime because this game could be gold!
  71. Jun 25, 2015
    Some games are weird and/or experimental just for the sake of it. This is not one of those games. I thoroughly enjoyed looking for alternate ways to get through the story, for different ending that most of the time weren't even there.

I see people talking about the message of this game. Well if there is a message I certainly didn't care for it. Just give it a shot - there's a demo - and enjoy yourself.
  72. Oct 24, 2013
    As awesome as this game is and as clever and unique it feels I just wish deep down a bit that there was some more content for the $15 bucks but that's my only issue with the game. First off its an indie adventure game where choice is everything, kindof You'll understand quickly how the game plays on your emotions and when some of it hits you its a fantastic enjoyment. The game looksAs awesome as this game is and as clever and unique it feels I just wish deep down a bit that there was some more content for the $15 bucks but that's my only issue with the game. First off its an indie adventure game where choice is everything, kindof You'll understand quickly how the game plays on your emotions and when some of it hits you its a fantastic enjoyment. The game looks fine, it is just an indie adventure game the graphics fit perfectly with all thats needed for your enjoyment from this game. The narrator is fantastic as well. Definitely play this game when you get the chance, if you're patient just buy on some steam sale like always. But if you're a major gamer like me it's worth a pickup of $15 bucks! Expand
  73. Nov 3, 2013
    The content within the experience is extremely enjoyable. However, the game was slightly too short for my liking. Getting the vast majority of the endings, it took me 5 hours.
  74. Jun 1, 2014
    This game is very mental. Whatever you do, like walking, choices, do what the narrator calls or do, everything was well thought out to confuse the player.
  75. Oct 19, 2013
    The Stanley Parable (TSP) is a wonderful exploration of video games mechanics, narrative devices and agency. Without spoiling anything, it subtly addresses mainstream games for lazy design and uninspired game play while also touching issues such as the susceptibility of an individual to false authority, routine, bad habits, or even propaganda.

All that in an amazingly voice-acted

All that in an amazingly voice-acted package full of Easter eggs, good humor, and sarcasm, which also breaks the fourth wall on multiple occasions.

The mere fact that the original free HL mod got enough attention to warrant this excellent HD remix, is a confirmation that we can expect more quality from games to come. I'm sure that TSP will influence some gamers to demand less of mindless action and linearity in games they play and I'm also convinced that TSP will inspire some game developers to handle the gravity of choice and illusion of choice in their games more realistically, thus improving gaming experience for all.

For this and for a ton of new content delivered in professional quality, I believe the highest grade for TSP is well deserved.
  76. Nov 4, 2013
    Stanley Parable is a fun ride for about 2 hours. It is fun to discover all the endings, and offers one of those fun games that you can let a friend play to see what ending they get. Unfortunately this can't really be called a game, there is no conflict, no action, no NPCs, it's just one of those strange releases that should be played at least once, because telling someone what the StanleyStanley Parable is a fun ride for about 2 hours. It is fun to discover all the endings, and offers one of those fun games that you can let a friend play to see what ending they get. Unfortunately this can't really be called a game, there is no conflict, no action, no NPCs, it's just one of those strange releases that should be played at least once, because telling someone what the Stanley Parable is about is pretty difficult. It's definitely something everyone should try at least once Expand
  77. Nov 19, 2013
    I played this game straight for about 4 hours. It was an incredible experience that is definitely worth the money. My only gripe is that it is a little bit on the short side but its still an enjoyable adventure.
  78. Nov 14, 2014
    Best game ever but it aint a game Best game ever but it aint a game Best game ever but it aint a game Best game ever but it aint a game Best game ever but it aint a game Best game ever but it aint a game
  79. Mar 30, 2014
    This is not a game it is an experience you control stanley thats the only thing i'm going to say of story there are so many secrets and endings and the demo it has a own story just play it and experience it for yourself
  80. Nov 5, 2013
    Clever game that really made me laugh and interest me. I would recommend the game to anyone whose a fan of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Really great voice acting also.
  81. Jan 18, 2014
    Short (and not costly) but stunning. Reminds me of reading Italo Calvino's novels, as this isn't a game so much as a walk through wonderland. The narration is extremely well done and succeeds at being funny at all the right times.
  82. Oct 20, 2013
    This game is one of the great examples about why there is a controversy going on about games being an art form or not. This game is not a "game" considering traditional definition of a game. This is a first-person philosophical game, and it is not just "another" art game. I know that most of you are completely bored about how some developers suck "games are art" channel dry, but this gameThis game is one of the great examples about why there is a controversy going on about games being an art form or not. This game is not a "game" considering traditional definition of a game. This is a first-person philosophical game, and it is not just "another" art game. I know that most of you are completely bored about how some developers suck "games are art" channel dry, but this game is completely original. I sincerely don't know how to review this game without spoiling your own adventure experiencing it but I must say that YOU will want to try out every single thing you can with only 5-6 control buttons and you'll keep saying "how the hell did that decision led to a different outcome" each time. Expand
  83. Dec 17, 2013
    This is THE game of 2013, I'll probably be the only one to say that, but it's true. There is no other more unique, provocative, bizarre experience this year will bring us, not GTA 5, not The Last of Us, THIS, this is the game of this year. A satire of video games within a video game, a stinging commentary about the supposed choice we have, and bitingly funny, topping it all off with aThis is THE game of 2013, I'll probably be the only one to say that, but it's true. There is no other more unique, provocative, bizarre experience this year will bring us, not GTA 5, not The Last of Us, THIS, this is the game of this year. A satire of video games within a video game, a stinging commentary about the supposed choice we have, and bitingly funny, topping it all off with a superb voice acting performance and brilliant creativity, and what have you got? The Game of the Year. Expand
  84. Apr 3, 2014
    Stanley Parable was a mod to Garry´s Mod, the mod was getting so popular, that it got its own game. And it was worth the money. Stanley Parable is not a normal game like another First Person game, it has its own shelf, its own category, the best way to say it short, its a fantastic special game. The game has really many different endings, and feels like, you´re in a commentary, or even aStanley Parable was a mod to Garry´s Mod, the mod was getting so popular, that it got its own game. And it was worth the money. Stanley Parable is not a normal game like another First Person game, it has its own shelf, its own category, the best way to say it short, its a fantastic special game. The game has really many different endings, and feels like, you´re in a commentary, or even a book written on the choices you choose. The game is not the best graphics game that you´re gonna see, but its really easy to run, and you´re not gonna think about the graphics, but about the story you´re making. The game isn´t an action game, its a relaxing game, you can sit when you´re bored. You can´t really tell anything about the story, or the game itself, without its a spoiler. The game has a really, really good telling, even when im played the game, and i made sometimes the sad endings or something, i felt like, i was touched.
    Final word: Buy the game if you like relaxing Indie Games, and you love where you interact to the choices, and even make your own story.
  85. Oct 17, 2015
    I'll simply say this, being disobedient and being chewed out for it is hilerious fun. Play this game and discover the many ways you can anger the narrator. Or don't, it's entirely up to you, but it's much more fun to be disobedient in this game, trust me.
  86. Jun 14, 2016
    I'm not always giving 10/10, but when I do, it's worth it. This game is simple and genius, just like AK-47. You just walk, hearing what The Narrator is saying and sometimes you just do everything to prove him, that you're not following this. In this simple game, there is a very complex message, but it's up to you to find it.
    I truly can recommend this game, it will give you a lot of fun
    I truly can recommend this game, it will give you a lot of fun and laughs.
  87. May 29, 2014
    You guys think that you are really intelligent or happy? Oh, really? Okay then, play this game and after we gonna talk.
    This isn't a game at all. Because games allowed us to play the game. But now, things changed my friends. This is something new. This is a philosophy, this is a psychology, this is a funny joke, this is our job... Actually this is our life. This is one of the best thing i've ever witnessed in my entire life.
    So my advice; don't play this game if you don't love to talk with your friends meaninglessly about 2 hours.
  88. Oct 21, 2013
    Incredible proof that games, can indeed be art. Easily one of the best narrative focused games to come out this year. A must play for all mature gamers.
  89. Oct 21, 2013
    While this genre of game does not have a lot of a lot of 'gameplay' and does not appeal to everyone, within its genre it is an absolute masterpiece. If you a fan of story driven games like dear Esther, then the Stanley Parable is a must. It is humorous, dark, entertaining, full of eastereggs, and long audio rants. If you are the player wanted to hear all of wheatley's dialog when playingWhile this genre of game does not have a lot of a lot of 'gameplay' and does not appeal to everyone, within its genre it is an absolute masterpiece. If you a fan of story driven games like dear Esther, then the Stanley Parable is a must. It is humorous, dark, entertaining, full of eastereggs, and long audio rants. If you are the player wanted to hear all of wheatley's dialog when playing portal 2, then you have a lot to look forward to here. Saying any more would be a spoiler, play the free demo if your are not convinced. Expand
  90. Nov 8, 2013
    Oh My God! This game may be short, but I garantee you that after you played it throughout all the endings for one or more times, you will still come out Amazing game, with simple mechanics and a great narration! Highly recommended!
  91. Nov 19, 2013
    Perfect. There is no other words to describe this game.

You can't talk about this game without giving it spoilers, so I'll just say: play it. Is a full experience, you can choose everything, but at the same time, the game will choose for you. Even if you think to have broke the game, is all part of the game. I'm in love with Kevan Brighting voice, the narrator. Is simply perfect.
    Perfect. There is no other words to describe this game.

I'm in love with Kevan Brighting voice, the narrator. Is simply perfect.

Really, but it, is just 10$ or something like that. Money really well spend.
  92. Dec 19, 2013
    A Dostoyevsky-esque testament to the fact that games can display existential philosophy beautifully without needing any flashy effects.

The Stanley Parable is a game which requires playing through the same general sets of experiences over and over again to get an idea about the nature of storytelling and of reality itself.
  93. Dec 27, 2013
    Simple, Complex, Short, Long, this game is a mystery, almost open world one, you play, you decide or you don't? I don't know neither, that is why you should play it, Its almost the same as the Half-life 2 mod.
  94. Jan 18, 2014
    It´s such a great "Game" for the price. I even kept the Demo because I love how the "Game" plays me ;)
    It´s a little short but you can play it over and over and over and over.....
  95. Mar 12, 2014
    The most fun I have had playing a game in years, The Stanley Parable is pure brilliance, extremely witty, unique and fresh another giant from the Indie circuit inspired by gamers for gamers. Simply check this game out, you won't be disappointed
  96. Dec 29, 2013
    By far the most....different game I have ever played. I would try to explain the actual game to you but I think it would be a spoiler, so I will try to explain the general basis/ idea of it. Basically the game allows you to make multiple decisions that influence what happens. There isn't really much of a story, there's only one path that gives a story, the rest of it is just messing aroundBy far the most....different game I have ever played. I would try to explain the actual game to you but I think it would be a spoiler, so I will try to explain the general basis/ idea of it. Basically the game allows you to make multiple decisions that influence what happens. There isn't really much of a story, there's only one path that gives a story, the rest of it is just messing around trying out the different ways to get through the game.

The narrator offers funny, interesting and hilarious commentary, and the game is completely based around it. If you don't like listening to a lot of funny narration then this game is not for you, and you need better tastes.
  97. Dec 29, 2013
    The narration really seals the deal on this game. I was surprised at a lot of the endings. Caught myself smiling quite a few times at the twists and turns your character experiences. I really don't want to go into detail about it, my suggestion to you, if you're reading these reviews trying to decide if you should get it is: close this page, don't read another word more about it, buy itThe narration really seals the deal on this game. I was surprised at a lot of the endings. Caught myself smiling quite a few times at the twists and turns your character experiences. I really don't want to go into detail about it, my suggestion to you, if you're reading these reviews trying to decide if you should get it is: close this page, don't read another word more about it, buy it and load it up. It's not very long at all, but it's exceptionally well done. If you like adventure games and stuff that sits outside of the norm, then enjoy Expand
  98. Oct 17, 2013
    Keep in mind a few things... When it comes to the demo, the demo displays the style of The Stanley Parable, and it does so very well. The Stanley Parable embodies the same type of interesting exploration and fourth wall breaking Narrator dialogue. It is sufficiently ahead of the mod to be worth playing. The time in game may be short to some (estimated 2-3 hours of playtime, not countingKeep in mind a few things... When it comes to the demo, the demo displays the style of The Stanley Parable, and it does so very well. The Stanley Parable embodies the same type of interesting exploration and fourth wall breaking Narrator dialogue. It is sufficiently ahead of the mod to be worth playing. The time in game may be short to some (estimated 2-3 hours of playtime, not counting achievements, for all the endings), but for the quality of the time spent, this is very much worth it. There are games probably only two times the length of this that sell for $50 or $60. Do not hesitate to pay the $15. It is worth the quality of this game. Expand
  99. Oct 17, 2013
    First of all this review does not contain any information about the story. The best way to go into the Stanley Parable is to know as little as possible about it beforehand, but while I will say some actions have similar outcomes to the original mod, they are redone and everything is mostly new. And for people like me who have played the original mod it doesn't taint the experience. In factFirst of all this review does not contain any information about the story. The best way to go into the Stanley Parable is to know as little as possible about it beforehand, but while I will say some actions have similar outcomes to the original mod, they are redone and everything is mostly new. And for people like me who have played the original mod it doesn't taint the experience. In fact I'll just say it right now; if you enjoyed the original Stanley Parable, go and buy this game immediately. But anyway, I have waited for this game since I heard of it over a year ago. I went in with my expectations high and was not disappointed. People seem to be up in arms though on the community hub right now about a certain achievement for completing the game in 4 minutes, and others are calling it another walking simulator like Dear Esther. Firstly, The Stanley Parable will give you as much playtime as you will let it. You CAN storm through the game and get the main ending in four or five minutes, but there are so many choices to make, there is so much dialogue to hear and so many outcomes to discover. Granted, if you compare it to other games it is quite short I've been playing it for 90 minutes and I'm starting to run out of different things to do but it's quantity over quality, really. For instance, Saints Row 4's story lasted about 8 hours but to me it was sooooo repetitive and dragged out. This reminds me greatly of the original Portal. Beautifully made, thought-provoking and so little that I would want to change about it. Secondly, I am someone who very much dislikes Dear Esther. The Stanley Parable is nothing like Dear Esther. mkay. In short, the Stanley Parable is, to me, a truly brilliant game and I would implore you go and purchase it. Expand
  100. Jan 24, 2014
    This was one of the most random pieces of self-aware fun I've had the joy to play. A friend bought it for me and I was gonna play for a few minutes before bed and before I knew it it had been over four hours! I'm also glad for the first time that I tried to get an achievement - the 430 one. Trust me, go for it!

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is many things. It's an interactive comedy, an existential riddle and an experiment in storytelling. Most importantly, it's pretty good. [Nov 2013]
  2. Jan 23, 2014
    It's one of those games that tries and succeeds in making a bold statement. Be prepared for something really special.
  3. Games Master UK
    Dec 25, 2013
    Step away from this review and play it now. Or don't. Whatever you do is already ordained. OR IS IT?! [Jan 2014, p.83]