8.0

1. Oct 18, 2013
    Not a particularly brilliant game. Some jokes were amusing, but quickly became old and boring with each "replay". Easy to get all endings within a few hours, and game quickly becomes pointless and worthless thereafter. Definitely not worth its overinflated reviews or price. Wait for a sale.
  2. Oct 21, 2013
    This is unfortunately a bad videogame, with very little gameplay and level design that consists of a couple of corridors, a few big rooms and some random references to other videogames. Its "oh-so-clever" commentary on choice is something I've discussed before with friends within about 5 minutes while sipping on some coffee, for free, without having to waste 15$ and 2 hours of my lifeThis is unfortunately a bad videogame, with very little gameplay and level design that consists of a couple of corridors, a few big rooms and some random references to other videogames. Its "oh-so-clever" commentary on choice is something I've discussed before with friends within about 5 minutes while sipping on some coffee, for free, without having to waste 15$ and 2 hours of my life playing something boring to reach the same conclusion. If this was free, I'd be kinder to it as an invitation to a discussion using the gaming medium as language, but it is not worth paying for. Expand
  3. Oct 20, 2013
    Everybody who play games and think about them at least a little knows that the player is more or less directed by game developers. Analogy with real life does not make this obvious topic interesting, and creating whole "game" based on this idea is a little insulting to gamers intellect. Stanley Parabel tries to communicate this painfully obvious message in very boring manner. ThisEverybody who play games and think about them at least a little knows that the player is more or less directed by game developers. Analogy with real life does not make this obvious topic interesting, and creating whole "game" based on this idea is a little insulting to gamers intellect. Stanley Parabel tries to communicate this painfully obvious message in very boring manner. This pseudo-intellectual "game" is IMHO waste of money and I would say it wouldn't even worth your time if it was free. Expand
  4. Oct 22, 2013
    This is an interactive branching "story" written by an infantile person. It's a parody that breaks the fourth wall and basically says "You want to do this or that? But you can't, you are in a game! Take this random nonsense instead!" Apparently the critics think this is very deep and smart for some reason. It staggers the mind how this atrocity can have such a high score. Maybe theThis is an interactive branching "story" written by an infantile person. It's a parody that breaks the fourth wall and basically says "You want to do this or that? But you can't, you are in a game! Take this random nonsense instead!" Apparently the critics think this is very deep and smart for some reason. It staggers the mind how this atrocity can have such a high score. Maybe the professional reviewers were afraid to give it a low score, because they didn't want to have fingers pointed at them and people saying "Ha, ha, they didn't get it". Or maybe the professional reviewers have no experience with good books, because breaking the 4th wall is nothing new, and random infantile events and parody in a story is something kids aged 8 are able to do. I regret the time wasted on this, I felt the need to take a bath after touching this pile of dirt. Expand
  5. Oct 18, 2013
    I'm very disappointed, how did this score so highly?? According to Steam it kept me interested for 67minutes, until I realised I had in fact played through almost every ending available and there was literally nothing left to do. I feel completely ripped off as there is ZERO re-playability. You choose a path and listen to the narrator for 5-10 minutes...
  6. Oct 20, 2013
    The pretense is strong in this one.

A User Score of 8.2 and a Metascore of 92 are too high for this game. Very overrated. It's interesting... not necessarily good, but definitely interesting.
  7. Oct 18, 2013
    The game confuses mind numbingly annoying for wit. I don't understand the humor or appeal of this game, or even the fact of how this "game" is even a game. It also baffles me how this game can have such a high score. 91 really? I counted at least half a dozen games it outscored that deserved better than it.
  8. Oct 18, 2013
    All these 10 reviews must be written by kids who have never read sci-fi or seen any good movies. This game I bite my tongue as I refer to this time-sink as a game is so overhyped. There is some humor in it, but nothing funny enough to pass the "I blew some air out of my nose" level. I've unlocked 9 out of 10 achievements and found most of the endings and find the whole experience toAll these 10 reviews must be written by kids who have never read sci-fi or seen any good movies. This game I bite my tongue as I refer to this time-sink as a game is so overhyped. There is some humor in it, but nothing funny enough to pass the "I blew some air out of my nose" level. I've unlocked 9 out of 10 achievements and found most of the endings and find the whole experience to be largely unmemorable. I feel no desire to launch the game again to explore any further. Expand
  9. Oct 19, 2013
    This game dont deserve to be selled. Is a bad bad remade mod, with and ultra lineal finals.
    Play the mod instead to pay for this... Played all the finals and the game is ultra boring. A waste of money.
  10. Mar 12, 2014
    I really really really tried to like this game, but sadly I couldnt
    Basically a walking simulator,
    with a story that literally makes almost no sense
    zero replayability after all the endings
    no clue how it got so many good scores other than making fake accounts, fooling the masses and paying companies to give good reviews on the game
    waste of money, don't buy it.
  11. Oct 20, 2013
    I really don't get this game. It was quite entertaining when I first played it, but it got boring very soon. It's just missing the core element games must have FUN. I don't care if there's interesting story, or good voice acting of narrator as long this game is no fun. Replaying same bits over and over just to find different solution is annoying and boring. So, don't believe them critics,I really don't get this game. It was quite entertaining when I first played it, but it got boring very soon. It's just missing the core element games must have FUN. I don't care if there's interesting story, or good voice acting of narrator as long this game is no fun. Replaying same bits over and over just to find different solution is annoying and boring. So, don't believe them critics, who see masterpiece in this beautifully crafted but utterly boring creation. Expand
  12. Aug 22, 2014
    Not a terrible game, just quite frankly... boring. If you want a game that gives you a good feeling each time you accomplish a task, defeat a difficult enemy, or solve a challenging puzzle, look elsewhere. This is more of an interactive comedy movie, albeit a comedy movie where the the comedy is thin and where the movie has no plot.

The entertainment value of the game relies solely on

The entertainment value of the game relies solely on its ability to generate humour through a cheery-voiced Brit making observations about Stanley's directions and though I had a few chuckles at the beginning, it got tedious fairly quickly. In fact, I imagine the people who were mostly amused were the developer's themselves.

The overriding feeling of pointlessness becomes evident the moment you realise there's no actual story; just a series of introductions and endings. If the humour was clever and witty, I could appreciate it. More often though, I'm sitting waiting for the narrator to hurry up and finish his next rant or remark so we can move on, despite knowing full well the game isn't go to go anywhere.

In the end, I came to realise that the game had never really left where it started, only it's the player sitting there pushing the buttons as the computer spits out orders. It's just a pity I coudn't find the 'refund' button anywhere..
  13. Jan 18, 2014
    Overhyped "work of art".
    Have you seen the painting of a pipe by Rene Magritte, where on top of the pipe it is written "This is not a pipe" ?
    Well, Stanley's Parable does the same thing to a game. It combines absurd logic and writing, with mockery, self-depreciation, and an overuse of repetition. Ok... but the problem is that it's just simply not fun to play. You are just walking in a
    Overhyped "work of art".

Ok... but the problem is that it's just simply not fun to play. You are just walking in a big museum of absurd comedy. At times, it can be brilliant and make you laugh, but also repetitive, annoying, and not really revolutionary. Since there is no real gameplay involved, you might as well save yourself the 10 bucks and just watch someone play it on youtube. Because for only 2 hours of content, the price of the game is even more absurd than it's art.
  14. Dec 3, 2013
    I picked this up on Steam cheap after reading rave reviews about the game and despite this being half price; it is not worth the money. This is an extremely overrated title that shouldn't warrant any cost. The concept is quirky and the narrative amusing but it feels as if these are factored in to cover up the sheer linearity of the game. You basically play an office worker called StanleyI picked this up on Steam cheap after reading rave reviews about the game and despite this being half price; it is not worth the money. This is an extremely overrated title that shouldn't warrant any cost. The concept is quirky and the narrative amusing but it feels as if these are factored in to cover up the sheer linearity of the game. You basically play an office worker called Stanley and the voice-over story depicts his life and job. You can either follow the story how it is told or go your own way which impacts the person telling the story. This can be humorous but it's hardly up there with Steven Merchant from Portal 2. You can complete the game in many different ways and even in under 5 minutes. There is bascially nothing to this 'game' apart from the narrative and a few corridors. There is no depth or ingenious moments that really stand out like we have seen in many other budget games or mods.

The Stanley Parable has joined the growing list of indie/arcade titles that cost money and are give huge plaudits from the media but are actually poor attempts at conveying a game. Developers should be judged on their product solely and not taking into account factors surrounding development or the budget it cost to make the game. This is a poor, pricey and tedious attempt of a mod and the fact the game has a price-tag is shocking. The narrative saves it in some way but if you want to experience this title; just watch a few YouTube videos of the game in action.
  15. Nov 20, 2013
    Now that the "artsy game" genre is beginning to spread, it seems that it was inevitable that a game such as The Stanley Parable would someday come out. While I'm certainly not against games that will abstract themselves from the traditional gaming paradigms, I demand that they remain GAMES, NOT STATEMENTS ABOUT GAMES. And so, don't be fooled by that pseudo-wisecrack-british-accent narratorNow that the "artsy game" genre is beginning to spread, it seems that it was inevitable that a game such as The Stanley Parable would someday come out. While I'm certainly not against games that will abstract themselves from the traditional gaming paradigms, I demand that they remain GAMES, NOT STATEMENTS ABOUT GAMES. And so, don't be fooled by that pseudo-wisecrack-british-accent narrator that'll accompany you all along the way: The Stanly Parable is a statement about games that, in itself, is a poor game.

In the end, it's really no wonder that this title has received such a high critical acclaim; it's indie, it's unconventional, it's a game about games, it's pure critic's dog food. Let me hammer it again: it's not enough to step out of the traditional gaming paradigms just for the sake of it, you still have to make a game. This is what Anti-Chamber did, this is what Telltale did with (love it or not) with Walking Dead, this is what Miasmata did; those game stepped out of the conventional path and yet, they stand by themselves.

And then you have your Andy Warhol games: The Stanley Parable, Gone Home (a very bland experiment in cheap empathy) and Dear Esther (that thing is so pompous I tried 3 times to spend more than an hour in front of it without feeling like I'm watching the English Patient).
  16. Nov 20, 2013
    The premise is not as interesting as others might lead you to believe. It is pretty meta and very well made, but the game is waaaaay too short for the cost (I literally payed the exact same amount for Amalur: Reckoning, which I played for 100 hours at least, whereas I've already seen almost all of TSP after 1 hour or so of playing it).
    If it was priced at $2 or so, it would get a great
    If it was priced at $2 or so, it would get a great score. As it is, I was expecting sooo much more.
  17. Dec 3, 2013
    I bought this game on steam and had the day off to play it... but I feel a bit ripped off as this game cost me 10 Euro and after an hour I had found all the endings... pity
  18. Jan 3, 2014
    There are a few hints of originality here. But it is so poorly executed, it isn't even worth mentioning. This game simply isn't as smart as it attempts to portray itself.
    The graphics are terrible, like something from the late 1990's. I would have been able to get past that fact if there were a great game were lurking under its ugly shell. But this game is boring all the way down to its core.
    I would be embarrassed if I had anything to do with the making of this game. And I'm shocked that some critics decided that this is somehow a good game. It is not good by any measure.
  19. Feb 8, 2014
    I played this game for about two and a half hours, to see how deep the rabbit hole goes and, ok the first hour is funny, but there's really no depth here.

Don't be fooled, this emperor hasn't a stitch on!
  20. Mar 18, 2014
    This game is so friggin overrated. Indie **** hyped by wannabe hipster gamers who find it cool to like "off-beaten" games. This game tries to use humor and witty narrative to appear cool, mocking modern gaming practices,storytelling,mechanics,scripting etc etc. Guess what, we DONT NEED A REMINDER. We have been gaming for decades,and we don't NEED a satire to remind what we are experiencingThis game is so friggin overrated. Indie **** hyped by wannabe hipster gamers who find it cool to like "off-beaten" games. This game tries to use humor and witty narrative to appear cool, mocking modern gaming practices,storytelling,mechanics,scripting etc etc. Guess what, we DONT NEED A REMINDER. We have been gaming for decades,and we don't NEED a satire to remind what we are experiencing all these years.
    Its a friggin walking simulator. And thats it.
    There are 18 possible endings, but they are pretty similar apart from 4-5 of them. Wont spoil it for you guys. My first 2-3 runs were entertaining, the narrator did a great job with the voice overs. But after 1 hour of playing.... the game became a chore. Its extremely repetitive, hearing the same long ass dialogus over and over JUST TO DISCOVER the alternate endings.
    Apart from like 5 endings, the remaining 13 endings are bland and repetitive. in fact they shouldn't even be counted as proper endings.
    i'm giving it a ZERO not to offset the biased overall score, bt because this game ACTUALLY deserves a ZERO for charging me $15 for 0.99cent gameplay
  21. Mar 30, 2014
    This is of course not a game, yet it's fun for a while (maybe 1-2 hours, until you've seen a dozen of the endings). The narrator is good but the text he reads is not always really funny. Somehow, such humor (about office workers) works better in Dilbert comics - there I laugh quite frequently. There the complex, intellectual-style language feels somehow appropriate, but here - not really.This is of course not a game, yet it's fun for a while (maybe 1-2 hours, until you've seen a dozen of the endings). The narrator is good but the text he reads is not always really funny. Somehow, such humor (about office workers) works better in Dilbert comics - there I laugh quite frequently. There the complex, intellectual-style language feels somehow appropriate, but here - not really. I still have to say that this game surely has many small great details. E.g. the whole Power Point slides sequence in the meeting room is just amazing. And the whiteboards. And the rooms where they tell which pieces of the game looked how before the release. But certainly this game isn't worth its price or any price at all, or maybe something like $1. Since it isn't a game at all, it shouldn't have been created or sold as a game - instead it could be a cartoon or maybe a movie.
    I still give it a rather high score (4) and not 1 or 0 because it does give some fun, even if it's not a lasting one. This product still offers a bit of gameplay - and strangely this kind of gameplay reminds me a typical RPG where you would explore every branch of dialogs with NPCs. Here you explore corridors and doors instead.
    The closest game to this one that comes to mind is Antichamber. However, Antichamber is way way better, there you have diverse puzzles, each with an unexpected solution. Here it's just talking and talking, like in a book/radio/TV show. This game doesn't really feel as if it were made for players and to entertain players but instead to entertain the developers - much like 2010's "Rubber" movie was fun to the director but boring to the audience.
    This app certainly is a fresh innovative attempt, but it's not really a successful attempt. Frankly, I'm not sure that the whole idea for such a game could have resulted into anything playable. Strange that they actually decided to spend effort into developing this stuff.
  22. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have not bought this game, nor will I ever consider buying this game for the price listed during this Christmas sale (9.99). It is not worth it.

Originally, the mystery behind all the narration and ambiguous description captured my interest as I tend to attempt to unravel the truths from the untruths via internet browsing and reviews. I like to know what my game is like especially when I'm spending this amount of money to buy a game with steam engine graphics..

..it was a disappointment. The game's air of enigma was easily blown away with Youtube videos about 6 particular endings and a very short storyline, and even when I tried to dig deeper, there were other endings, but sadly, not enough. And certainly not worth the price tag, when you try to compare to other games with vastly superior and unique graphics and gameplay also at the same price or lower.

Sure, it might seem new and interesting the first few runs, but really, it's not really so much of a game than it is just a couple of seemingly clever plot twists and mind games. And we're not talking about the deep philosophical and psychological games..just a couple of basic ones, which may have appealed to some of the mainstream critics as a masterpiece at first, and is probably all that was needed to spark their overhyped reviews.
  23. Nov 8, 2013
    I laughed for about 15 minutes. On the surface, the game is amusing and the concept is interesting. Unfortunately, it only takes an hour or two to grow stale. Nowhere near worth my $15

Parable: A simple story used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson. The story in this parable is about a man named Stanley, whose job is to push certain keys on his keyboard in response to

Parable: A simple story used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson.

The story in this parable is about a man named Stanley, whose job is to push certain keys on his keyboard in response to prompts on his monitor, and the lesson is "Don't play The Stanley Parable."
  24. Nov 23, 2013
    I know this game is made from HL mod, but I didn't really enjoy the game.
    There are a lot of reasons why I gave it 4:
    Zero: its probably made on portal engine and its possible to make this if you are a modder with a team. Nothing special about it yet. - First: You don't know where it ends. - Second: a lot of nonsense here and there. - Third: You don't have any aim in the game
    I know this game is made from HL mod, but I didn't really enjoy the game.
    There are a lot of reasons why I gave it 4:

- First: You don't know where it ends.
    - Second: a lot of nonsense here and there.
    - Third: You don't have any aim in the game including the thing "Maybe you would like to know more about it". Well, I don't want to explore empty offices over and over again just to find new nonsense ****.
    - Fourth: I don't like this kind of voice acting. It Too polite. I don't enjoy overplaying. I don't enjoy being treaten with respect in game. Im completely tired of this. Some character in game should tell me that Im an idiotic player and that nobody cares if I would ever complete the game. That would motivate me these days way more than usual.
    - Fifth: you just wonder and push the buttons and get entertain. Thats pretty much all about this game.
  25. Dec 17, 2013
    Watching walk-through videos on Youtube will give you more joy than playing actual game. To be honest this would be great youtube game, where you need to click a link to choose a path.
  26. Dec 12, 2013
    There're some critics over there who like to speculate about games as an art form argument. This game is for them. You can easily extend it by thinking about it, and there's a lot of room for getting philosophical. That what journalists and critics look for. Boring as hell for actual player.
  27. Dec 15, 2013
    I haven't played the real game, just the demo. I was not impressed. I've seen so many positive evaluations of the game i played the demo hoping to see a hint of what people like about it. I saw nothing. Got to be the most boring thing i've ever seen. Sorry. I give it 2 points for originality.
  28. Feb 23, 2014
    Now, I have not given this game as much time as some, but I have given it a good handful of hours and I did find it quite enjoyable and humorous. However, the narration being good and clever, and the branching "stories" that you cause lose some appeal when one considers that he must replay a lot of the same things to find the alternate branches. Within my first 2 hours I had literallyNow, I have not given this game as much time as some, but I have given it a good handful of hours and I did find it quite enjoyable and humorous. However, the narration being good and clever, and the branching "stories" that you cause lose some appeal when one considers that he must replay a lot of the same things to find the alternate branches. Within my first 2 hours I had literally found roughly 30 percent of what the game had to offer, and after playing a few more hours I was certainly getting tired of reliving the first moments of the game (...or the later moments) to try and discover more twists and outcomes.

The game is truly unique and the narration is well done, and it is quite funny. So why did I give this a lowish score? It is what it is, and it isn't much more than that. There's a very clear limit to what can be done and this limit can be reached very quickly in comparison with many, or most, other games. The developers clearly knew this as one of the achievements is to not play the game for 5 years. Perhaps, for a lower price, I would have a more favorable review but I do believe it was a little too high to warrant the amount of content and the repetitive nature of the game.

It was a fun ride, but a little short and I'm unfortunately left with little desire to seek out the rest of the meat. Which is a reasonable portion of the game, but still not enough content in the mean-time to warrant the play time you invest to find the rest.

I think, the reason that this game has such high scores overall is because those reviews are being made by less hardcore gamers whose expectations may not be as lofty as my own. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, but I didn't know it would be as short lived as it is. For a casual gamer who doesn't mind spending just an hour or two playing a game (most likely, those who have the game purchased for them by their parents) I'm sure the game is a delightful departure from the norm, but for those like me, we expect more in the way of content.

What it does, it does do well. But it doesn't do all that much and that's the most glaring problem I have with it - and this is a big problem for a video game, casual or not.

My rating is a 4. It's a fun concept and decent entertainment, but not for nearly long enough at the price and the concept isn't exactly revolutionary - it's been done in most open ended games - the only difference is here we have a narrator who comments on what we choose to do, or to ignore. I guess I thought I'd get a little bit more playtime out of it.
  29. Nov 4, 2013
    Complete garbage...The voice acting is quite nice, but maybe after 30 seconds you realise its not very well written. Maybe if you like surrealism this would be fun..I'm glad I didnt buy it. I played it for about an hour and a bit and it gave me a headache
  30. Dec 12, 2013
    Not worth paying for. This is a fun diversion for an hour. Good voice acting. That's it. I feel duped for having paid for it based on the positive reviews and nondescript game description. If I could complain and return it I would.

You could watch a video on youtube covering the complete game play in about 30 minutes and save yourself the cash for an actual game. How this got

How this got rated so well I'll never know. Maybe I'm just still bitter about having spent money on it.
  31. Oct 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. I gave this game a zero to help bring the score down (really deserves a 7 imho) Listen carefully fellow gamers when all these other reviewers tell you its 2-3 hours long at best. What breaks the game for me is there is nothing in the game to actually figure out. Each ending is discovered by exploration only, never by interacting with the world and solving any kind of puzzle or dilemma. REALLY was enjoying the game until the point I was "stuck" couldn't figure out what to do next to advance the story. Went online for a hint only to discover Id already discovered about 90% of the game and there wasn't anything more to the game. Bottom line is I too fell ripped off for listening to all the high reviews that just said AWESOME trust me buy it! Its a $2-3 experience. I bought Bioshock Infinite on Steam recently for $13..bought this for $15. Lesson learned about wise allocation of limiting gaming funds. Collapse

1. Mar 11, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is many things. It's an interactive comedy, an existential riddle and an experiment in storytelling. Most importantly, it's pretty good. [Nov 2013]
  2. Jan 23, 2014
    It's one of those games that tries and succeeds in making a bold statement. Be prepared for something really special.
  3. Dec 25, 2013
    Step away from this review and play it now. Or don't. Whatever you do is already ordained. OR IS IT?! [Jan 2014, p.83]