7.7

1. Jun 21, 2016
    I hear this game was a buggy mess at release, but I played it more than 10 years later after Atari had released two official patches (which apparently only fixed a small amount of the bugs) and a group of modders knows as the Circle of Eight (Co8) released numerous patches that fixed hundreds of bugs. I installed the Circle of Eight patches before playing the game, and here is my opinionI hear this game was a buggy mess at release, but I played it more than 10 years later after Atari had released two official patches (which apparently only fixed a small amount of the bugs) and a group of modders knows as the Circle of Eight (Co8) released numerous patches that fixed hundreds of bugs. I installed the Circle of Eight patches before playing the game, and here is my opinion of the game:

The Good:
    The game allows you to create a party at the very beginning, and the party creation system is very deep with TONS of options - races, classes, attributes, skills, feats, etc.. It is so much fun to create a party. You also meet companions throughout your adventure that are willing to join your party. The combat is turn-based and uses D&D 3.5 rules. If you like D&D or like strategic, turn-based tpgs, you will LOVE the combat in the game!!!

The Bad:
    The story is almost non-existent - a group of adventurers travel to the Temple of Elemental Evil to destroy whatever evil lies beneath (I hear that if you are playing an evil party you have the option of joining the Temple when you get there, and then the game abruptly ends). Also, the companions you meet along the way are VERY poorly written - terrible voice acting and almost no backstory for them (or a lame, paper-thin backstory if one is presented at all). This is NOT Baldur's Gate, which had unforgettable characters and writing that set the standard for rpg for years to come. The writing is laughable for the most part.

So to sum up, GREAT D&D turn-based combat, but very story. If you play rpgs mostly for the combat, you will enjoy this game (I play mostly for the combat and gave the game a 7). If you play rpgs for the story, you will be sorely disappointed.
  2. Apr 17, 2016
    A great turn based combat fantasy RPG. VERY atmospheric, fantastic graphics, excellent music.
    Plot is based on one of the most famous pen and paper modules for D&D.

My fav. turn based combat fantasy RPG, only second to Divinity Original Sin
  3. Jul 6, 2015
    What could have been one of the absolute best D&D games falls flat on its face. This game is the very definition of a flawed gem. Combat is absolutely great, perhaps some of the best turn-based combat I've seen. However, everything outside of combat is **** From movement, to impressively retarded AI pathing, inventory UI is fairly unintuitive and doesn't give a lot of info (although theWhat could have been one of the absolute best D&D games falls flat on its face. This game is the very definition of a flawed gem. Combat is absolutely great, perhaps some of the best turn-based combat I've seen. However, everything outside of combat is **** From movement, to impressively retarded AI pathing, inventory UI is fairly unintuitive and doesn't give a lot of info (although the Help hotkey helps with spell descriptions, it's **** for everything else, or simply doesn't work, or redirects you to the wrong page. Soundtrack is extremely repetitive. Opening the map pauses everything else, which is **** annoying when you're moving from one point to the other; also, you can't move the camera through the map (only way to do it is to pan it around, which is also extremely annoying especially in towns). Expand
  4. Nov 25, 2013
    One of the best Dungeons and Dragons PC games of all time. True to the rules edition at the time (3.5e) and very true to the classic T1-4 Module The Temple of Elemental Evil. It is a true Turn-Based Tactical game set in the original game world of Oerth in the Greyhawk setting. The dialogue is probably less than that of Planescape or Baldurs Gate, but for true tactical gamers and D&DOne of the best Dungeons and Dragons PC games of all time. True to the rules edition at the time (3.5e) and very true to the classic T1-4 Module The Temple of Elemental Evil. It is a true Turn-Based Tactical game set in the original game world of Oerth in the Greyhawk setting. The dialogue is probably less than that of Planescape or Baldurs Gate, but for true tactical gamers and D&D fans this can be put aside for the turn based combat. It's a damn shame that Troika Games went bust because this engine would have been truly amazing if it had a tool kit like Neverwinter Nights or Torchlight 2. Expand
  5. Aug 30, 2013
    One of my all time favourite RPG's. ToEE has a really active modding community which have improved the game no end it's free and you should definitely use it. Thanks Co8, you guys are amazing.

The combat is brilliant, you have to work hard for your victories and it's highly satisfying. Building your group from level one up to powerful monster killers is great. The story line is vaguely interesting but you'll be playing the game for the combat set pieces. I tried to play Baldurs Gate II after this and it seemed so simple as to be pointless.

I can't give it a 10 because exploration of villages and settlements is quite dull, even with the circle of eight mod pack, and the story line isn't brilliant, also the interface can be a bit irritating. The bugs are pretty much all fixed by the Co8 mod-pack.

For D&D fans and fans of serious, turn based RPG combat.
  6. Jun 11, 2013
    Having bought this game at it's initial release, I was overcome by the abundant lack of play testing and bugs that made it through. It was borderline to being utterly broken and unplayable. Having played through it again recently with updates and mod patching, it's a far cry from what it once was.

This isn't your traditional rpg which has major story elements. It's more of a free roaming rpg based on the classic Temple of Elemental Evil module. It is limited to 2 towns, and 2 dungeons, however, the main play is meant to take place in the temple itself. Dungeons and Dragons has always been more a system of care and planning as opposed to fast paced action. This of course, means the combat is slower paced, and more strategic. It's not to say the combat system is poor, it's just meant to be played on a more strategic approach, and it surely caters to a certain crowd.

The soundtrack is rather well done setting the atmosphere appropriately for the varying locations. Battle themes are rather well done and I never found them to get annoyingly repetitive. Personally, I think the soundtrack is actually rather charismatic and well done and has not appeared to get much mention. Voice acting is limited, however, far from the cringe worthy voice acting some games are known to carry.

All in all, I think this game is a little above average, with no hand holding elements whatsoever. You are left to discover things, and fend for yourself. To some, this may actually be it's "appeal". Certainly worth checking out if you are a remote fan of turn based role playing games, or the Dungeons and Dragons franchise.
  7. May 3, 2013
    Definitely worth a playthrough if you apply community patches (look up "circle of eight"). Imagine Baldur's Gate, except with less exploration/story and a much more interesting combat system. This is one of those games where the mechanics are so rich and complicated that you genuinely end up feeling that you can be *creative* in your party development and combat tactics. Really I'veDefinitely worth a playthrough if you apply community patches (look up "circle of eight"). Imagine Baldur's Gate, except with less exploration/story and a much more interesting combat system. This is one of those games where the mechanics are so rich and complicated that you genuinely end up feeling that you can be *creative* in your party development and combat tactics. Really I've never seen a party-based combat system with this much variety and potential.

I'd say somewhat luckily, the game will completely kick your ass right off the bat. To succeed, you've got to learn about what your characters are capable of and build your party accordingly. For the patient, ultimately a very rewarding experience.

Cons; disappointing story line, few environments to explore.

somewhat of a con: This is not a rail shooter. This is not easy. To succeed, you have to learn the rule system and apply intelligent combat tactics and character development.

Ultimately, I'm quite sad that this engine did not see any more application. Troika obviously spent a ton of time creating the D&D 3rd edition rules in a PC environment, then introduced a single adventure to apply it in. Why on earth did we never see more games based on this engine?
  8. Nov 1, 2012
    Gnome's beard is longer then this game, ant hive has less bugs and tetris has better plot. Turn based combat is all fine and dandy, but with 10 lvl cap it is more of a teasing slap around the tuckas than anything substantial, in something like NWN i would be halfway through 1st chapter, when this thing just ended leaving me extremely disappointed.
  9. Jun 15, 2012
    Definitely a premium RPG, and probably the most faithful translation of Dungeons&Dragons 3E rules to the computer ever.

I wonder how anyone can compare Neverwinter Nights (a wireframe RPG :-) to this jewel that is superior in every respect, from the graphics through rules/gamplay right up to the deep and immersive story.
  10. Oct 8, 2011
    ToEE is a good RPG. It has a deep turn-based combat system implemented with D&D 3.5 rule set. The story line is very generic to be honest with you, pretty much as bad as Neverwinter Nights. The dialog is very plain compare to games like Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate. The game's main focus lies clearly on the combat aspect which is quite enjoyable to play although it's not as tightToEE is a good RPG. It has a deep turn-based combat system implemented with D&D 3.5 rule set. The story line is very generic to be honest with you, pretty much as bad as Neverwinter Nights. The dialog is very plain compare to games like Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate. The game's main focus lies clearly on the combat aspect which is quite enjoyable to play although it's not as tight as Baldurs games.If you like d&d games or strategy-focused game play, this is a good choice. Expand
  11. Mar 28, 2011
    The most faithful implementation of DnD in a computer game. Turn based combat system was almost perfect. Encounter design should have been better, and starting area (Hommlet) should have been more interesting. Bugs are not a problem, since they are fixed by the Circle of Eight unofficial patch.
  12. Oct 13, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty cool rock RPG. But it has one condition to play this game. You have to know Dungeons And Dragons 3.5 rules. I'm the lucky one who played long time this pen and paper game i version 3.5 so I can fully enjoy this game. But if you are not familiar with these rules, you are completely lost in this game. There was games which used D'n'D rules (not always 3.5 but it doesn't matter) and was playable even for complete noobs in D'n'D. E.g. Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc. That is why I give this game only 8 points and not 10. Expand
  13. SiegfriedT
    Mar 30, 2009
    An unerrated classic that is awesome at what it wants to be, although compromised by its bugs. Unfortunately it is often judged by what people suppose it should be rather than what it is. It's a pity that the very qualities that make this game exceptional are often looked upon unfavourably.
  14. PolarBear
    Jul 31, 2007
    This is one of the best digital expressions of dungeons and dragons ever, it includes most of the skills from pen and paper. It does have a few bugs tho.
  15. AnsonG.
    Jun 22, 2006
    I cant figure it out how to play this game. Its too difficult. It maybe a good game but the battle system is hard. Those who gave a 10, means u are professional in this game. But those who gave below 6 u should play neverwinter nights. It will be much easier for u.
  16. SV
    Apr 19, 2006
    After playing Icewind Dale and Baldurs Gate I was looking forward to some new D and D style play. I was woefully disappointed! The interface for this game is so lame that combat takes FOREVER and the graphics are so dark I frequently couldn't tell where all of my characters were. I junked this disk and decided to replay Icewind Dale. Avoid!
  17. Bruno
    Apr 6, 2006
    This game is not for everyone. Players that grew up on platform rpgs like kotor wont like this. This is much deeper game with intelligent dialogues. The amount of non-linearity is just amazing. All Troika's games are excellent (arcanum is one of the best RPG's ever made, and vampire is great as well). TOEE is getting back to the rpg's roots. But i'm sure all those kids This game is not for everyone. Players that grew up on platform rpgs like kotor wont like this. This is much deeper game with intelligent dialogues. The amount of non-linearity is just amazing. All Troika's games are excellent (arcanum is one of the best RPG's ever made, and vampire is great as well). TOEE is getting back to the rpg's roots. But i'm sure all those kids that their first experience with rpg was NwN or kotor shouldnt even try it. Cause you will hate, this game is for serious and patient players. Expand
  18. CristianoM.
    Jan 12, 2006
    The game is released with unacceptable bugs that seriously compromise gameplay. Luckily, there are now patches out by Atari which don't cover everything anyway. As usual the unofficial patches (Circle of Eight) do a great job raising dramatically the enjoyment of a solid RPG which is unfortunately lacking a good story. My vote refers to a game patched with the official and unofficial The game is released with unacceptable bugs that seriously compromise gameplay. Luckily, there are now patches out by Atari which don't cover everything anyway. As usual the unofficial patches (Circle of Eight) do a great job raising dramatically the enjoyment of a solid RPG which is unfortunately lacking a good story. My vote refers to a game patched with the official and unofficial patches! Unfortunately no patch will improve a weak storyline. Great combat system! Expand
  19. Mordenkainen
    Jul 1, 2004
    Best RPG since Fallout 2. Bugs, or no bugs. If you haven't yet, try playing with a group of wizards and a cleric. Let your wizards level up, and learn spells through scrolls by using the radial menu. Pick spells you are less likely to find in the game. Make wands as often as you can. I've been playing with one wizard doing this and I find it very challenging and fun. Loads of Best RPG since Fallout 2. Bugs, or no bugs. If you haven't yet, try playing with a group of wizards and a cleric. Let your wizards level up, and learn spells through scrolls by using the radial menu. Pick spells you are less likely to find in the game. Make wands as often as you can. I've been playing with one wizard doing this and I find it very challenging and fun. Loads of replay value if you play a chaotic evil character and just kill everyone. I'd buy the teleport scroll from byrne before you kill him, so you can quickly learn it later on. Get high points on spellcraft, barter and option out everything else as you see fit. Spellcraft has to be high or you can't learn spells very well with the scrolls you find. Going through and slaughtering everything is fun, IMHO. Be sure to sleep for free at the INN in Hommlet before you turn on everyone, or you'll never be able to rest and regain HP. I don't even bother with healing potions... just go and sleep it off in the INN. Expand
  20. Drizzt
    Jan 21, 2004
    Maybe the blooper of they year. This game had so much potential. It's a shame they didn't finish it properly. Lots of bugs, crappy performance, very weak voice acting. I haven't played it that far, but alot of people also complain about a weak storyline, and lousy quests and so on. In my oppinion they also used the new AD&D rules with too much depth, but this is relative of Maybe the blooper of they year. This game had so much potential. It's a shame they didn't finish it properly. Lots of bugs, crappy performance, very weak voice acting. I haven't played it that far, but alot of people also complain about a weak storyline, and lousy quests and so on. In my oppinion they also used the new AD&D rules with too much depth, but this is relative of course. Anyway, if they had spent some serious work making this game it would have been among the best rpg's. Now it's not even average. Expand
  21. Domicron
    Dec 7, 2003
    Buggy. Buggy. Buggy. Lack of magic weapons, lack of a driving story, lack of GAMEPLAY TESTING. Could have been a great game, but it was rushed and it shows, horribly.
  22. Christo
    Nov 13, 2003
    Game is good with good character generators, just sad about the level cap of 10. I would I have enjoyed it much more if one can up you character to at least 20. What is the use of having all the feats if you are not allowed to take some of them.
  23. Christo
    Nov 13, 2003
  24. TimK.
    Nov 7, 2003
    Turn-based combat will make or break this for you. I like turn based and what you get is an involving tactical combat game with enough plot to build characters in as well. (And so many character options, increases reply value. If not for some small bugs I'd be giving it a 10. Most enjoyable CRPG since Fallout2 for me).
  25. ShabiS.
    Oct 30, 2003
    This game is slow and boring. Only DND fans will like it. NWN is better. NWN- Kapara on you.
  26. MurrayS.
    Sep 24, 2003
    Sound like a good idea, I played the actual campagn and it was fun.
  27. Jun 15, 2012

1. Fans of the dungeon crawling genre will have a blast getting lost in the world of the Temple of Elemental Evil. Those virgin to this type of game may be overwhelmed by the wealth of options and complexity of combat.
  2. Promises great things and delivers them patchily. Playing for any length of time is an exercise in frustration - especially since the concept is a great one.
  3. This has been quite an enjoyable trip but not one of epic proportions. More story would have gone a long, long way.