8.6

1. Jul 11, 2013
    The border between film and video game becomes blurry, and the result is a unique interactive experience. This is a game about the choices that define who you are, and how the story adapts to those choices.
  2. BMF
    Dec 11, 2012
    The Walking Dead is the best story based game I have played in a long time. I got very attached to my character and those around him and felt compelled to help everyone even though thats a imposable task. The dialoge options are vast and I found myself lost in telltales world. I can not wait untill episode one season 2 is released!
  3. Feb 9, 2013
    Let's cut to the chase....

The Walking Dead (2012 video game)is not as good as The Walking Dead (TV series). The TV show is an overwhelming hit and is very highly thought of. It has a combination of excellent writing and excellent acting that combine wondefully with the Robert Kirkman themes developed in the comic book series. Those same Robert Kirkman themes are an integral part of
    Let's cut to the chase....

Those same Robert Kirkman themes are an integral part of The Walking Dead (2012 video game).
    The game provides nice examples of good acting combined with interesting characters:
    Lilly, voiced by Nicki Rapp
    Carley, voiced by Nicole Vigil, and
    Molly, voiced by Erin Ashe.

Unfortunately, the most important character, Lee Everett is voiced by Dave Fennoy who provides a barely average performance.
    Even more disappointing is the key character Clementine who is voiced by Nicki Rapp who provides a very sub-par performance.
    I think perhaps it is almost impossible for a 40ish year old women to provide an acceptable rendition of an 8 year old girl
    I think producers use adults to provide for child roles because they are lazy. Child actors require a lot of effort to manage.
    Additionally the Clementine charater is drawn oddly and very unrealistically to the point of being somewhat distracting.

I enjoyed playing the game. I wish Robert Kirkman would take a little more interest in protecting how his work is utilized.
  4. Jan 17, 2013
    Good story pinned to a point-and-click adventure game. Kind of funky but it works overall. Very intense experience. I almost cried, limited only by the fact that I am dead inside. Give to good friends or enemies you want to make cry. Imminent tears.
  5. Jan 6, 2013
    This is an amazing experience. It's like being the hero of a movie and your decisions will have an effect on how the story develops. The characters are mesmerizing and it is really hard to not care about them.
    My only complaint would be that the game is a little short but there will be more seasons coming out.
    Hard to find games these days that are so engaging, once I started playing I
    Hard to find games these days that are so engaging, once I started playing I couldn't put it down... worth every penny!
  6. Mar 11, 2013
    TWD is a awesome game! Telltale make me care with characters, the choice system is fantastic by delivery a sense of urgency with its time count bar, that by all means make you have to do hard choices in a little time, this make the tension grows as it would in a real life emergency context.

The plot is rich and the characters too, both becoming meaningful by the length of the game to the point that your choices consequences really make you regret some of your actions in a way that other games can't make you feel, I bet that the reviewers that gave notes like ZERO would prefer to play Call of Duty or other brainless game.
  7. Jun 2, 2013
    So Walking Dead isn't a game as such, it's more like an interactive movie. There's no gameplay.. it's a matter of choosing dialogue and clicking on objects to interact with them. Need to open a door? Click the door. That's as complex as it gets. My problem with the game isn't that it's light on gameplay, because that's intended and has been executed fairly well. My problem is that it's aSo Walking Dead isn't a game as such, it's more like an interactive movie. There's no gameplay.. it's a matter of choosing dialogue and clicking on objects to interact with them. Need to open a door? Click the door. That's as complex as it gets. My problem with the game isn't that it's light on gameplay, because that's intended and has been executed fairly well. My problem is that it's a story and dialogue-driven experience, and the story is boring. If you've ever read a half decent book, you'll be bored to tears with this material. For the hell of it, imagine you aren't playing a game and instead you're watching an animated movie; you'll soon realise it would be the blandest, most predictable, cliched piece of crap ever created. So if it's light on gameplay, and the story is terrible, what's the point? What's the point indeed. Anyway, you may as well get it since it's $5 on humble bundle and decide for yourself. Expand
  8. Jan 13, 2014
    Captures the essence of The Walking Dead Comic Book perfectly!

This game is truly a masterpiece. The Walking Dead has fantastic gameplay that relies on the player choices moreso than anything else and the game benefits from this as there are many heart-pounding sections that require quick thinking or else the Zombies kill one of your extremeley likeable comrades! These characters are
    Captures the essence of The Walking Dead Comic Book perfectly!

These characters are even better written than they are in the TV Show and engage the player into their unique back stories that are inextricably linked to the present events. Everything feels right; not a single objective in the game seems pointless. Character development here is one of the best in this medium as each character goes through their own grim, adult and realistic arcs that are very intriguing - It sucks you in right from the get-go.

The graphics are perfect! Brings the comic books to life better than anything else (I really wish the TV Series followed up on this style as it actually resembles the source material.)

Overall, a true modern masterpiece and a perfect representation of The Walking Dead by Telltale Games. The Zombie genre has never been better!
  9. Jul 28, 2013
    an illusion. that is all this even is. every step of the way the so called "craft able story" it has gone against every thing i have wanted to do. vague dialoge choices never help, believing you will give one response, but Lee actually makes one completely different, un-skippable cut scenes also hinder the experience. under there there may be a good story, and well crafted characters, butan illusion. that is all this even is. every step of the way the so called "craft able story" it has gone against every thing i have wanted to do. vague dialoge choices never help, believing you will give one response, but Lee actually makes one completely different, un-skippable cut scenes also hinder the experience. under there there may be a good story, and well crafted characters, but the sheer imability to craft the story the way i want it to go is frustrating. had i gone into it knowing how linear and uncontrollable it is, i would never have even bothered. i have COD for linear story. Expand
  10. Jan 19, 2013
    I was totally floored by this game. Even after hearing all the hype, I had no idea what I was in for. I'm a huge fan of story-based adventure games, and have played many of Telltale's other series. They have always been good at humor and cartoony worlds, but I questioned whether they could pull off a serious or dark game. My concerns were left shattered on the floor early on in episodeI was totally floored by this game. Even after hearing all the hype, I had no idea what I was in for. I'm a huge fan of story-based adventure games, and have played many of Telltale's other series. They have always been good at humor and cartoony worlds, but I questioned whether they could pull off a serious or dark game. My concerns were left shattered on the floor early on in episode one, and stayed there through the rest of the game, all the way to the shuddering end. This game grabs you and never lets go. As others have mentioned, I experienced many complex emotions throughout the game which I rarely feel when playing games. It was like the best thriller films, except I was involved in the choices so it felt even more personal. The writing and characters are so well done that you forget you are playing a game, and you never know what's around the bend. I feel like this game is a refreshing change, and only the beginning of what is possible in interactive storytelling if it is done right. I hope its popularity will push developers more into this front. Expand
  11. May 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well done Telltale.
    Quite apart from everything else, it simply is refreshing to play a game as different in mechanics and gameplay as TWD. So many modern games go over-board with Open Worlds to explore - it's great to see that great games can be created without this.

It took me only about 45 minutes into episode 1 to be hooked, to care about the characters and want to hear their stories. The game is unique because despite the proliferation of zombie games, few give character and story the central role.

I adored the relationship between Lee and Clementine - it was uniquely touching, and I thought, very clever. I liked the underlying idea that amidst all the chaos and the people doing, frankly, bad things - youth and innocence is worth preserving.

I liked many of the other characters and indeed was sad that not all could be saved.

The story had me wondering where we were going next , and with all the possibilities ahead of you TellTale successfully made the world feel endless with opportunity - despite the reality of the constricted geographical area the game covered.

The game play? Well, I have to be honest, it's not remotely challenging and even a beginner with the series could complete it without dying. Still, the system is tactile and satisfying enough, and is sufficient to support the games strong narrative.

I liked how merciless the game was - there are some shocking moments you won't see coming, and people you cannot protect. Some users may feel outraged by this but I for one believe that we have to play by the rules given to us by the developer; after all, we chose to buy the game. I like the fact that you are sometimes powerless.

The game is also sometimes chaotic; In one scene you have to free a poor soul from a trap before the zombies come upon you; I myself did not act quick enough, I hacked three times into the mans leg, destroying it but not quite separating it from the tap. I failed to free him and left, for the zombies to devour, a man whose leg had been hacked to pieces. I messed up, through my own felt. I like that you are able to do this - nothing is clean or easy.

So what complaints do I have? Few.
    But I felt that TellTale created a beautiful thing which they didn't get full mileage from. From start to finish series 1 is quite short. I wanted to see the relationships continue to grow and develop, but it all abruptly ended. in such way that, without giving too much away, you may not find yourself hurrying to play series 2. Rarely, if ever, have I enjoyed a game so hugely, whilst simultaneously not feeling too bothered about playing the second. This is in my view a function of the way TellTale finished the first series. In a story they destroyed what was becoming a canonical relationship and tale, and removed the possibility of building upon it.

What this complaint really comes down to is freedom; many games now give you the illusion of freedom but, ultimately, the ends are the same. You cannot change the ending of the game (and believe me you will find yourself wishing you could) Effectively the story is only ever about one character - clementine - no decisions you make can really affect her, in the sense of getting her kicked. She is the only contstant, and I feel the extent to which that is true is to the detriment of the other characters. Clementine leaves you powerless, and come the end of the game, leaves you feeling like what you did never mattered at all.

Still, it was good while it lasted!
  12. Feb 12, 2013
    10 is way too low for this game. Brilliant writing that deviates from the story line of the TV series but keeps the spirit fully intact. Brilliant game that keeps you involved in the story and links you to each character, which were each well developed. Loved it. It seems like it can be replayed multiple times. Also love the fact that you are shown what others did in the choices.
  13. Jun 12, 2013
    The graphics, storytelling, scriptwriting, voice acting and characters in this game are amazing!

You can relate to the characters and their personalities do grow throughout the story. The moral choices you have to make really influence your further interactions with you fellow survivors and to some degree how the story evolves. Every action has a reaction and some moral choices are key to how the story goes on. Every scene, every gesture on the characters face, every interaction between Lee (your character) and the other survivors is meaningful and properly written. True storytelling in games redefined.
  14. Mar 15, 2013
    Know what you're getting: this is not really a game at all, it's a slightly interactive animated horror-comic. You don't really have any options or any choice in what happens, the controls are VERY poor, and the "game" is very short, but there is no denying that it has its scary moments.

Personally I'd suggest catching the Walking Dead TV series instead, but if you're in the mood for a horror-comic, then by all means try this out.

But don't expect a survival-horror game. There is little to no game here.
  15. Koo
    Jan 5, 2013
    Having played all 5 games in the series, I am confident in awarding it my Game of the Year 2012. With its unique visual style and compelling storyline, The Walking Dead pulls you in and does not let go. Curious how your decisions compare with those of players around the world? The game lets you know at the end of every episode how your decisions measure up. Don't have 20 hours freeHaving played all 5 games in the series, I am confident in awarding it my Game of the Year 2012. With its unique visual style and compelling storyline, The Walking Dead pulls you in and does not let go. Curious how your decisions compare with those of players around the world? The game lets you know at the end of every episode how your decisions measure up. Don't have 20 hours free time every week? No problem. Each episode is 2-3 hours long. Stop reading this review and TRY THIS GAME already!! Expand
  16. May 23, 2013
    This game is just amazing. Unforgettable..... have never felt this emotionally attached to a game and it's characters/story-line. defiantly a must play.
  17. Dec 29, 2012
    Outdated graphics that should stay on a mobile platform, like the iPhone/iPad version of the game (which is pretty much the same). Storyline is OK, good only to pass time trying to figure out what happens next out of curiosity. This game is created and targeted towards an audience that pretty much plays no video games. Dumbed down actions and key presses gets old. If you are a fan of theOutdated graphics that should stay on a mobile platform, like the iPhone/iPad version of the game (which is pretty much the same). Storyline is OK, good only to pass time trying to figure out what happens next out of curiosity. This game is created and targeted towards an audience that pretty much plays no video games. Dumbed down actions and key presses gets old. If you are a fan of the TV series, there goes why the high rating, otherwise from a comparative stand point of PC/Console games in 2012, there is simply not much to praise about. Expand
  18. Jan 16, 2013
    A game that teaches you how to forget what sentimentality is. When people die, they die. It's a gripping experience that tugs at your heartstrings and does a perfect job at creating emotionally investing situations, all while telling a great story of hardship and survival. The acting is very good, and you'll constantly find yourself caring about the characters or in some cases, just end upA game that teaches you how to forget what sentimentality is. When people die, they die. It's a gripping experience that tugs at your heartstrings and does a perfect job at creating emotionally investing situations, all while telling a great story of hardship and survival. The acting is very good, and you'll constantly find yourself caring about the characters or in some cases, just end up hating them. Despite a few annoying technical faults, the story will captivate you like few stories in video games, and everyone who appreciates that should play this game. Expand
  19. Feb 24, 2013
    Far better than i expected. Interessting Story and Charachters. Its more like an interactive Series of the WD Universe. All who love Zombies and the End of the World will be satisfied.
  20. Dec 22, 2012
    More of an interactive narrative, not very "fun" but extremely moving, fascinating, and well worth the price. Episode 2 was the worst but after that they got progressively better and extremely good.
  21. Mar 11, 2014
    The Walking Dead The Game é um jogo no estilo Point and Click, desenvolvido e produzido pela Telltale Games, lançado em 5 episódios ao longo de 2012.

The Walking Dead foi lançado originalmente nas histórias em quadrinhos pela editora Image Comics em 2003, ganhando incontáveis prêmios nos anos seguintes, em 2010 a série foi levada para a TV e o sucesso foi tão grande que um game não tardaria a surgir.

E foi a Telltale quem assumiu a empreitada de levar a saga de zumbis aos games, surpreendendo a todos por se tratar de um Adventure, gênero pouco popular entre o grande público, e principalmente por não focar a sua história nos personagens do material original.

O grande diferencial de The Walking Dead é focar em seus personagens, em como eles reagem ao mundo tomado pelo apocalipse zumbi, surpreendendo a cada novo capítulo com situações dramáticas e emocionantes. O game da Telltale consegue, de forma primorosa, proporcionar a mesma experiência das HQs e de forma bem mais impactante que a série de TV, por permitir que o jogador se torne parte integrante da história.

Na trama assumimos o personagem Lee Evertt, um professor universitário, que acaba de ser condenado e está sendo levado para a prisão, na caminho se envolve em um acidente de transito, ao acordar se vê rodeado de zumbis, sem entender o que está ocorrendo ele busca abrigo em uma casa e conhece a pequena Clementine, garota de 9 anos que se separou dos seus pais. Lee acaba assumindo a responsabilidade de manter Clementine em segurança enquanto busca encontrar os pais da menina.

A jogabilidade é no estilo point and click que consiste em apontar para os objetos no cenário e clicar para executar ações de interação, em um primeiro momento isso é algo monótono e exige certa paciência, já que a movimentação é bem lento, mas após um tempo você se acostuma com tal sistema. Os gráficos são simples, cartunescos, que lembra em muito a arte dos quadrinhos, dando um identidade única ao game.

O grande atrativo do game sem dúvida é sua história e a forma como ela é narrada. O game permite que interagir com os personagens coadjuvantes através de diálogos onde Lee pode ser sincero ou não, ou mesmo salvar ou não determinado personagem, tais escolhas tem impacto tanto no relacionamento entre o grupo, como na própria desenrolar da trama. Tal forma de narrar a história torna a mesma extremamente envolvente e marcante onde cada decisão, e suas consequências, tenham peso, fazendo que o jogador se sinta parte integrante da trama.

Lee assim como Rick Grimes, protagonista da série original, é o clássico herói, mesmo tendo cometido erros ele busca fazer o que é certo, buscando sempre o bem estar do grupo de sobreviventes. O personagem e tão carismático que o jogador sente o peso de cada decisão tomada pelo protagonista e tal imersão apenas aumenta à medida que Lee se apega a pequena Clementine. E acredite o game é incrivelmente dramático e envolvente, dificilmente você não irá se emocionar ou ao menos se chocar com as situações apresentadas no game, principalmente no final que com toda a certeza é um dos mais marcantes da história dos vídeo games.

The Walking Dead é um excelente game, com personagens marcantes e uma trama emocionante, de tal forma que qualquer defeito ou limitação sejam deixados de lado mediante a tal experiência, um game que ficará eternamente marcado na memória de qualquer gamer que goste de boas histórias.
  22. Jan 6, 2013
    This is one game I wish I could delete from my steam account entirely. The fact that this won any plaudits is simply a reflection of the deplorable state of the gaming industry. The game is sickening at every level. Not only is the horror raw and gory and without redeeming value the writing is atrocious, the plotting bogus, and the characters as phoney as a twenty-three dollar bill. TheThis is one game I wish I could delete from my steam account entirely. The fact that this won any plaudits is simply a reflection of the deplorable state of the gaming industry. The game is sickening at every level. Not only is the horror raw and gory and without redeeming value the writing is atrocious, the plotting bogus, and the characters as phoney as a twenty-three dollar bill. The only aspect of this game that deserve mention is the voice acting, which is top of the line. I could explain all my reasons for not liking this game in full detail but honestly I don't want to give it any more of my time. I bought it for less than ten dollars and I still want my money back. All I have to say to all of you people who rated this game highly is that developers are going to give you want you want and give it to you good and hard. You buy crap, you're going to get sold more crap. It's as simple as that. Expand
  23. Apr 29, 2013
    For a game that advertises itself as being all about choices it really doesn't have any. It's an OK adventure game with some interesting characters and if you are into TWD then you will probably enjoy it. But I bought it because I was intrigued by the "dynamic storytelling" and how my choices would shape the narrative. Well the story is completely railroaded and my choices are dismissedFor a game that advertises itself as being all about choices it really doesn't have any. It's an OK adventure game with some interesting characters and if you are into TWD then you will probably enjoy it. But I bought it because I was intrigued by the "dynamic storytelling" and how my choices would shape the narrative. Well the story is completely railroaded and my choices are dismissed almost immediately. Shame really.... Expand
  24. Sep 26, 2013
    The Walking Dead game is probably one of the most immersive adventure games I've ever played...and even though has still flaws, it hits in what an adventure game should do: the story is great and involving, the characters are likeable AND hateable, the setting is intringuing and full of tension and, overall, it just hooks you right at the start. But it STILL has some huge flaws thatThe Walking Dead game is probably one of the most immersive adventure games I've ever played...and even though has still flaws, it hits in what an adventure game should do: the story is great and involving, the characters are likeable AND hateable, the setting is intringuing and full of tension and, overall, it just hooks you right at the start. But it STILL has some huge flaws that doesn't make this game perfect, even if small, but still flaws. First of, the game plays like a point and click adventure (for the most part) and a lot of times on quick time events or similar. In other words, your actions are limited a lot, which for a GAME is a big flaw, especially since this happens quite a lot. Second, the game has basically no challenge at all, and by challenge I mean no puzzles or anything tricky to do, and that's a big waste of potential for this GAME. Third, and this is going to take longer, is the very low longevity of the GAME...and here's why. The game has 5 episodes (plus a dlc episode of barely an hour, as of now) and each episode can be completed in about 2 hours or 3, resulting in about 10 hours or 15 hours depending on how fast you rush; he game explicitically tells you that the game changes depending on your choices and, in some cases, it actually does and results in a similar yet different path, resulting in a even bigger involvement of the game. The game strongest part is the immersion and that can't be denied (unless you couldn't care less about stories and such. Understandable), however it is a GAME, and as a GAME it has almost no longevity at all. Once you finish it, you're done with it. The choices? They don't change nothing big or relevant in the end, only some scenes and dialogues. The game remains exactly the same.. and this is a wasted potential. The closest example of this game is Heavy Rain, and while in that game the action was close to zero, had ALSO no puzzles and such, that game HAD more longevity and replayability due to the ENORMOUS amount of scenes, endings, dialogues happening just by changing ONE choice in a part of the game, without mentioning each character had their own ending depending on the player (around 4 or 6 for each, but I can't remember). In here, it won't change nothing, despite the game tells you otherwise, and while I loved it the game has nothing else to offer you. Sure, this game is great, but flaws are flaws and so they can't be avoided, and if you hate a game without action you will DESPISE it. If you do like games like this and story driven games, you will feel at home, but still the fact that this game has no challenge or any kind of obstacle in your way, will just make you feel watching a movie more than playing a game. That was your intention? Good, you'll enjoy it then, as I did because it is still a great game... but if we could really have had those choices the game really promised us, this could have been so much better, if not a masterpiece. Expand
  25. Dec 2, 2013
    Good, but way overrated. The major problem with this game is that it strongly suggests that your choices affect the story, but if you replay it again with different choices it is obvious that your choices didn't matter at all. I think that linear stories are fine, but if you explicitly advertise the story as being player-driven and interactive (which they do at the start of every episode)Good, but way overrated. The major problem with this game is that it strongly suggests that your choices affect the story, but if you replay it again with different choices it is obvious that your choices didn't matter at all. I think that linear stories are fine, but if you explicitly advertise the story as being player-driven and interactive (which they do at the start of every episode) it better be that.

I appreciate that making the story actually branching and having different outcomes requires an insane amount of content and can be incredibly expensive, but I don't understand the need for what is essentially false advertising of a feature that is pretty much absent.

I had the same problem with Mass Effect series.

Other than that and some clumsy controls on the PC, I think the game is very enjoyable.
  26. Mar 7, 2013
    Definitely the best adventure game i've played in years.
    The story is great, the graphics are nice. Everything about this game is so good.
    I really hope they make more chapters in a near future. This IP has potential and Telltale did a tremendous making this game.

I'm glad they won the GOTY 2012. Very well deserved.
  27. Dec 23, 2012
    I'm not even going to try to qualify this review with an in-depth analysis or critique, because frankly I don't think that would help you as a potential buyer of this entertainment.

This game is a masterpiece. They have taken a ridiculous scenario (zombie apocalypse) and turned it into something heart-wrenching, ethically charged and mature. The characters are real, the gameplay is fun, the choices matter and afford real replayability, but more than that, this game makes you stop and think.

Don't let the zombie apocalypse setting fool you. This game is not about a zombie apocalypse, it's about the human condition.
  28. Jul 7, 2013
    Easily one of the most beautiful, spellbinding stories ever crafted in gaming. The voice acting, writing and suspense are some of the best in gaming, but you've heard all this before. The main complaint with the Walking Dead is that is simply is more of an interactive movie than a game per se, however I would disagree. People mistakenly believe that the only 'gameplay' in this gameEasily one of the most beautiful, spellbinding stories ever crafted in gaming. The voice acting, writing and suspense are some of the best in gaming, but you've heard all this before. The main complaint with the Walking Dead is that is simply is more of an interactive movie than a game per se, however I would disagree. People mistakenly believe that the only 'gameplay' in this game involves picking conversation options and point and click scenes, however it is my opinion that the relationships you form and how much you care for the characters is also part of the gameplay. If I was watching a movie, I wouldn't care half as much for Clementine as I would in a game, because I feel like a father figure to her rather than watching someone else be a father figure. So, in essence, this game does have gameplay, just not in the traditional sense you are used to. Expand
  29. Aug 27, 2014
    This is among the finest examples of computer game story telling there is. It draws you in, builds you up and tears you down as you follow the fascinating tale of Lee and Clementine as they fight for survival in the early days following the apocalypse. Clementine works brilliantly as a type of moral mirror for Lee and has the player constantly question the merits and implications ofThis is among the finest examples of computer game story telling there is. It draws you in, builds you up and tears you down as you follow the fascinating tale of Lee and Clementine as they fight for survival in the early days following the apocalypse. Clementine works brilliantly as a type of moral mirror for Lee and has the player constantly question the merits and implications of choices made.

The story is thrilling, the conclusion epic and the characters are well made, well expanded and also well concluded. The atmosphere of the game is truly stunning, both visually and audibly, and the interaction with the game feels natural and intuitive.

This is a must play game if you're into story telling at all.
  30. Jul 26, 2013
    A brilliant game, thrilling captivating story, emotionally engaging characters. The game plays like an interactive movie, the gameplay is not very ambitious, the replay value may be next to nonexistant but the writing makes the experience truly worthwhile.

It’s not perfect but The Walking Dead is one of the most important advances in interactive fiction for a generation, with some of the most memorable characters of any video game.
  2. Mar 15, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a serious, solid, but clay-footed work; in truth, it wouldn't stand out from the crowd if video game storytelling wasn't so impoverished to begin with.
  3. Feb 10, 2013
    A test of your moral fortitude in a world that's gone to the dogs. [March 2013, p.76]