8.6

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1930 Ratings

1. Feb 24, 2013
    Far better than i expected. Interessting Story and Charachters. Its more like an interactive Series of the WD Universe. All who love Zombies and the End of the World will be satisfied.
  2. Mar 7, 2013
    Definitely the best adventure game i've played in years.
    The story is great, the graphics are nice. Everything about this game is so good.
    I really hope they make more chapters in a near future. This IP has potential and Telltale did a tremendous making this game.

I'm glad they won the GOTY 2012. Very well deserved.
  3. Jan 12, 2013
    The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series is a point and click adventure game set in a zombie-survival scenario based on the similarly named comics. However, instead of the usual puzzle-solving the player will often be called upon to make (moral) choices and weigh need with wants. The story continues through several chapters (5 at the time of writing, which concludes season 1) andThe Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series is a point and click adventure game set in a zombie-survival scenario based on the similarly named comics. However, instead of the usual puzzle-solving the player will often be called upon to make (moral) choices and weigh need with wants. The story continues through several chapters (5 at the time of writing, which concludes season 1) and throughout each chapter, the choices you made in a previous chapter will affect the reactions of those around you. The graphics are outdated but that's covered up quite well by the cel-shaded graphics and Telltale has done an excellent job at making the characters come across as human, not just through their facial expressions but also by the more than superb voice-acting and the excellent writing. I did not read the comics but I did watch the TV series and I hated it, it was far too long-winded and the characters were so annoying that I felt no connection to them but the videogame .. It's brilliant. The only thing that annoyed me was that sometimes the game mechanics change function. For example, at one point you'll be asked to undertake a certain action but you won't have a lot of information to go on. Naturally, you'll select the "Eye" icon which normally only causes Lee, the protagonist, to tell you what's going on so you can make informed decisions. However, in this case, it'll move the game on rather than give you more information. Although given the situation it is perfectly understandable but from a gaming point of view, it's punishing and confusing the player; possibly causing him to make a choice he did not want to make. These situations occur from time to time but you just deal with it, it's a minor grievance. A must-play for anyone who's into Point-and-Click games, zombie-scenarios and survival. A word of warning: this game is highly graphic. You might be used to a lot of violence in games but this game is more visceral than anything you've probably ever played. Expand
  4. Feb 22, 2013
    The Walking Dead deserves to be up in the ranks of Zelda OOT and Super Mario Bros for its innovative, unique way of storytelling, a cast of characters that the player will decide the connections with each of them, spot-on voice acting and many more qualities that make this game extraordinary.
  5. Jun 12, 2013
    Just one point lower because of the ending

I was scared, shocked, but i found more love in my life...
    I have to place here more characters, but two sentences had done
  6. Mar 4, 2013
    Telltale's The Walking Dead provides fantastic character development, storytelling and a great cast of realistic, perfect voice actors. It's hard for me to imagine no one feeling emotion when playing through The Walking Dead. Telltale's Episodic model pans the experience of The Walking Dead over a few months and gives a longer, more enjoyable saga. The Walking Dead reminds us that gamingTelltale's The Walking Dead provides fantastic character development, storytelling and a great cast of realistic, perfect voice actors. It's hard for me to imagine no one feeling emotion when playing through The Walking Dead. Telltale's Episodic model pans the experience of The Walking Dead over a few months and gives a longer, more enjoyable saga. The Walking Dead reminds us that gaming shouldn't look like a drag act in Vegas, sparkly lights and tons of effects, but provide a larger focus on character development and storytelling. Never before has a point and click adventure ever brought me so much anticipation. Perhaps it was the storytelling and character development that excited me, or perhaps it was just the fact that I like zombies. Expand
  7. Jan 31, 2013
    This is easily the best game in 2012 for story. The fact that some people think it is not a game just sickens me. How can people nitpick and use any straws they can cling to in order to say that it is not worthy of the high score it has?
  8. Dec 26, 2012
    This game has you emotionally engaged on a level similar to the Walking Dead series, if not even more so because of the length of it. (It's shorter so the 'big' events happen more regularly than in the tv series). The last time a game has had me so emotionally captured was Final Fantasy 10.
  9. Jan 16, 2013
    I find that the "choice" factor in the game is meaningless. The ending, no matter what you choose, is the same. The only thing that changes with these choices is the dialogue. However, the story was so good in my opinion that it deserves an eight.
  10. Jan 8, 2013
    Having finally beaten all 5 episodes, I can easily see why people would think this is a game of the year candidate. However, I had a few issues that kept it from being my GotY. Frankly, for a game that's supposed to be solely based on the decisions you make, very few decisions throughout the story actually affected the overall outcome of the story, even when they made you think that someHaving finally beaten all 5 episodes, I can easily see why people would think this is a game of the year candidate. However, I had a few issues that kept it from being my GotY. Frankly, for a game that's supposed to be solely based on the decisions you make, very few decisions throughout the story actually affected the overall outcome of the story, even when they made you think that some of the biggest choices you would have to make turned out not to even matter a bit. However the game does quite a few things well and the best thing I can relate it too is Heavy Rain. The story the game tells is a wonderful one and, even for people who aren't into the Walking Dead franchise that much like I was, they will get so much out of this game. I really felt for the characters and some of the decisions they had to make. Losing any of the characters, even some of the smaller ones, affected me greatly. I haven't felt this emotional about a game in a long time and that speaks volumes to me. This game has made me want to get into the entire franchise now and, even with that tiny issue I said before, this is easily one of the best games I've played in a long time. However, don't expect to do much going into it because this game is basically here to tell a story and that's it. If you can get over that, then you'll love this game to death. I wouldn't call it my GotY, but it's easily in the top 5 this year and it's something I'll be really keeping an eye on when season 2 rolls around. Expand
  11. Jun 19, 2013
    The story and wrting is absolutely amazing. It triggers such emotional responses and is never dull or lackluster. The Characters, while rather normal people, grow on you. While you don't really care for them at first, they grow on you rather fast and you become very attached to them (in most cases at least). It really hurts to see them leave the group or even get killed.

This game is

This game is one of the best games I ever played, definitely in my top 3, and has the best narration of any game I have ever played. I will definitely buy season 2, I can hardly wait until the first episode is released!!
  12. Jan 28, 2013
    Anyone who doesn't view Telltale's The Walking Dead as a masterpiece doesn't have a good taste in games. After a frustrating experience with AMC's The Walking Dead television adaptation, I was surprised to see that Telltale was able to capture the gruesome dark horror of Kirkman's comic, with some amazing new characters and stories. A must play.
  13. Sep 24, 2013
    An all-around great experience. Never has a game make me truly like or dislike characters the way The Walked Dead did. Although it's named after a popular comic/TV series, the characters and the relationships they form are the core of the game, not the universe in which it is set. I believe the game could have had a completely different setting, replacing zombines with some other genericAn all-around great experience. Never has a game make me truly like or dislike characters the way The Walked Dead did. Although it's named after a popular comic/TV series, the characters and the relationships they form are the core of the game, not the universe in which it is set. I believe the game could have had a completely different setting, replacing zombines with some other generic Bad Thing, and it would have been just as great. In other words this game is awesome even if you aren't a fan of the comics/tv show. Or even a fan of zombie games. Expand
  14. May 29, 2013
    Disclaimer: I write this hoping that I will someday revise this with a higher score. However, at the current time this game is for me unplayable. My review is based solely on my experience with this game. Yours (hopefully!) will be different and far less buggy. Even if I revise it, it is highly unlikely that the walking dead for Mac will receive a score above 7.

I bought this game

I bought this game as a pre-packaged whole rather episode by episode, so I hoped and expected that the major bugs had been worked out. Nooooooope! Through 1 episode this game was everything I'd hoped it would be. And then none of my decisions transferred over into episode 2. None! Since the game is basically a glorified choose your own adventure novel, this completely an utterly destroys any reason you have to play the game. This is a bug so crippling that, for the first time, I give a game a score of 0.

Now, apparently, not everyone has this bug. But from what I've read it's not limited to the transfer from episode 1 to 2. Second, there are fixes out there for PC. But God help you if you play the game on Mac because no one else will.

As I've said, I hope that I can find the a fix for this problem and give this game a better score, but until I can I'm not awarding a single point to a choice based game that loses track of my choices. But even I can fix this, I'm going to be far more afraid of this happening again than I am of any walkers.

There's another serious bug that I have yet to mention, though it's minimal by comparison. When playing in fullscreen, the game's nigh unplayable because the mouse often gets incredibly sluggish. I could rapidly and repeatedly swipe my finger over the length of the mousepad and get minimal movement. This was usually merely annoying but in action sequences it was fatal. So I was forced to play in immersion breaking windowed mode. I was able to fake fullscreen by using Apple's universal access features to zoom in on the window, but it's far from a perfect fix.

There's no other way to put it: The walking dead is great game weighed down and ultimately utterly crushed by two serious bugs. It is completely inexcusable and an absolute embarrassment that telltale hasn't fixed these bugs yet. I cannot recommend this game to anyone.
  15. Dec 31, 2012
    After hearing about this game for a few weeks and playing the demo, I finally decided to buy it off Steam after Episode 2 had been released, and I never regretted the purchase for a second. First of all, the story, it follows a man called Lee Everett as he gets tossed into the world filled with the undead, and meets up with Clementine, a little girl who was at home with a babysitter whenAfter hearing about this game for a few weeks and playing the demo, I finally decided to buy it off Steam after Episode 2 had been released, and I never regretted the purchase for a second. First of all, the story, it follows a man called Lee Everett as he gets tossed into the world filled with the undead, and meets up with Clementine, a little girl who was at home with a babysitter when the dead started walking the streets. What follows is five fantastic Episodes with lots of different characters, since I don't want to give anything away I won't say any more than this. The gameplay is based around a few different mechanics such as occasionally moving around and clicking on objects, quick time events, dialogue and shooting scenes once in a while. This limits the player interaction with the game to allow a higher focus on story, the one issue I had with the gameplay was the movement, as it seemed a little difficult to get used to at first, but after an hour or two of playing it starts to feel better. The dialogue choices add a lot more repeatability to the Episodes, as anything you say can have an effect on the story and how characters interact with you. The art style is sort of like a Graphic Novel, kind of like Borderlands. I feel this is a nice change because it allows the environments to be more colourful or very dull if the situation requires it, this makes it look very unique as not many games share this same kind of art style. Overall, the game is fantastic, by far the best game I have played in a long time, never mind this year, and due to the Episode structure of the game it allowed for more suspense to build up, I had a lot of fun talking to people about what we thought would happen in the next Episode of the game, much like we would on the Walking Dead TV show. If you really enjoy a good story, look no further than this game, you will LOVE IT. Expand
  16. Jan 13, 2013
    Admittedly I am not big fan of point and click adventure but this game made me a fan. From the graphics that was taking from the Walking Dead comics by Robert Kirkman, to the characters with seamless emotional complicated depth and the story, which gives great sense of desolation, despair as well as the will of the human spirit, hope, friendship, with many twists and shocks all round. ItAdmittedly I am not big fan of point and click adventure but this game made me a fan. From the graphics that was taking from the Walking Dead comics by Robert Kirkman, to the characters with seamless emotional complicated depth and the story, which gives great sense of desolation, despair as well as the will of the human spirit, hope, friendship, with many twists and shocks all round. It makes you feel that you are in a post apocalyptic world, this game is a triumph and worth checking it. Expand
  17. Mar 11, 2013
    This is basically a 'choose your own adventure' type of game, much like the kids books from the early and mid 1980s. People looking for a FPS or action game will be disappointed. Its fair to say this isn't a game in the traditional sense, its more like a story you help craft. No serious consequences if you die, you will just automatically restart at the most recent auto-save point in theThis is basically a 'choose your own adventure' type of game, much like the kids books from the early and mid 1980s. People looking for a FPS or action game will be disappointed. Its fair to say this isn't a game in the traditional sense, its more like a story you help craft. No serious consequences if you die, you will just automatically restart at the most recent auto-save point in the game. People complaining about the story being 'forced' must be forgetting that this is a story about a ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE...talk about forced, lol. After each chapter you get to see the results of your choices compared to other players. In this way its kind of like seeing the results of a moral social experiment. At the very end of the game you get to see a very brief list of how your choices effected each character and how the dead characters died. But Clementine is not on this list!! You have to wait until all the end credits are done, then you watch a brief scene that is ambiguous at best. I would like to see just a tad of RPG elements added to this type of game. So after each chapter the choices you made have an impact on what type of skills or traits you can further develop. This genre of 'game' is not bad imho, but it could have a bit more complex gameplay. Expand
  18. Jan 27, 2013
    I haven't played all of this series yet, but so far it has been absolutely amazing. I'm doing a 'LetsPlay' of it and I even have fun while editing it.
  19. Dec 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is definitely one of the best adventures/action games I've played in a long time! The story is awesome and the atmosphere makes you sit at the edge of your chair! Great adaptation of the Walking Dead comic and very nice gameplay. I suggest playing with all guides on though cause playing without them seems like too much pixel hunting. I strongly suggest this game to everyone who wants to witness a good horror story ! Expand
  20. Sep 2, 2013
    This game is just like an extended episode of the tv series. I played all 5 episodes in about a week (about 13 hours total) and I found the story to be mediocre. It's true that a few parts pulled the emotional heartstrings, but this moments took hours to come across. The rest of the gameplay I found lacking. Just because characters are willing to talk about everything going on doesn'tThis game is just like an extended episode of the tv series. I played all 5 episodes in about a week (about 13 hours total) and I found the story to be mediocre. It's true that a few parts pulled the emotional heartstrings, but this moments took hours to come across. The rest of the gameplay I found lacking. Just because characters are willing to talk about everything going on doesn't mean it's worth your time to talk to them. All in all, I did best buy burning through as quick as possible. As a side note, being able to determine who lives and who dies in this game is a gimmick. The outcomes for most of the characters is set. Expand
  21. Jan 16, 2013
    It took me about an hour and a half to get The Walking Dead Episode 5: No Time Left running properly. Between mouse problems (fixed by changing the resolution and then changing it back), save import bugs (especially hard to solve on this Mac laptop), and the metaphorical Sword of Damocles that is review season creating a limit on how much time I can spend fixing the game, it
  22. Dec 30, 2012
    Excellent story and character development. But a very limited gameplay, filled with quick time events, and some serious design flaws.
    The graphics are poor, with plenty of low resolution textures, stiff character animations and bad facial expressions.

Only worth for the story and characters. The rest is a pain to watch and play.
  23. Dec 25, 2012
    It's the best game i've ever played! its worth game of the year awesome story! Awesome graphics/game i really enjoyed every second i played the game! Best game EVER!!

Nice work telltale! I hope season 2 coming soon :/
  24. Dec 30, 2012
    Fantastic game. One of the best i ever played. Its so immersive that we become Lee, always trying to save Clementine. The Finale is great and rational. I cant see a sequel to this game. Its perfect the way it is since the beginning to the end closing superbly. A must have!
  25. Mar 5, 2013
    An Amazing game! I'm not really into this kind of adventure games but the story was exceptional. Very immersive with a lot of spins and unforeseeable twists
  26. Dec 28, 2012
    Great art and a great look throughout the game. Story is well written and most of the instructions are well done, few are lacking direction though. Sometimes the reaction doesn't fit what you thought it should have been...
    Sorry, but this "game" could have been done in flash and put on Kong for free. Not enough "meat" for me being a gamer, this is an interactive comic. However, I am using it to introduce my wife into games as she is a big Walking Dead fan.

I give it a 7 as it really is an overpriced interactive book, pick it up on sale.
  27. Dec 25, 2012
    The story telling ability displayed by tattletale games is nothing short of incredible, the player almost instantly cares for the characters. If more games like this existed the book industry would be in trouble.
  28. Dec 27, 2012
    Wow. Just... Wow.

Wow. Just... Wow.

The Walking Dead is one of Telltales most amazing games, the second that first loading screen finished I was hooked, the emotional ties you make with the characters, from beginning to end you will make decisions that will affect you and have you tearing up a bit, the environments, characters, the story, the music, all of it. PERFECT. I would recommend this game to anyone who likes a story that will have you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end.

10/10 for me, I will certainly give this another run through.
  29. Dec 28, 2012
    good game nice story and nice emotion too. but not good in grafic really much but however game isnt good about grapic at all but story should have more ending maybe Lee survive or something change
    more than example help dock or someguy that girl and die in chapter 3 NICE
  30. Jan 17, 2013
    Последнюю игру студии должны увидеть все фанаты одноименногоПоследнюю игру студии должны увидеть все фанаты одноименного комикса и сериала, ее по достоинству оценят и просто любители хороших квестов с глубоким драматичным сюжетом, с красочными персонажами и богатым выбором развития событий. Она как кино: только в этом кино мы сами исполняем роль сценаристов, режиссеров и главных героев. Наблюдаем за историей со стороны и изнутри. Окунаемся просто в непередаваемые впечатления от редкого примера потрясающего квеста и хищно крутимся поодаль, ожидая очередной кровавой развязки. Collapse
  31. Jan 17, 2013

It’s not perfect but The Walking Dead is one of the most important advances in interactive fiction for a generation, with some of the most memorable characters of any video game.
  2. Mar 15, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a serious, solid, but clay-footed work; in truth, it wouldn't stand out from the crowd if video game storytelling wasn't so impoverished to begin with.
  3. Feb 10, 2013
    A test of your moral fortitude in a world that's gone to the dogs. [March 2013, p.76]