8.6

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1929 Ratings

1. Feb 19, 2013
    This has to be one of the best stories in a game that I've ever played. While the characters are very average, they are just regular every day people, the interaction you have with them creates an attachment, and emotional bond that you can't have with film or books. This is the first game that has had me tear up during its saddest moment. So because of that alone, this has to be theThis has to be one of the best stories in a game that I've ever played. While the characters are very average, they are just regular every day people, the interaction you have with them creates an attachment, and emotional bond that you can't have with film or books. This is the first game that has had me tear up during its saddest moment. So because of that alone, this has to be the best, most immersing story I've ever experienced in a game. This is definitely worth playing. Expand
  2. Jan 4, 2013
    I have been playing computer and video games for the last 25+ years. In all that time, I have never once had a game illicit a serious emotional response, but this game did thrice: anger when I found what a stranger had done, frustration when I found someone in our party had lied, and regret when I realized I had to let a friend down. And this is the spoiler-free version of the review.I have been playing computer and video games for the last 25+ years. In all that time, I have never once had a game illicit a serious emotional response, but this game did thrice: anger when I found what a stranger had done, frustration when I found someone in our party had lied, and regret when I realized I had to let a friend down. And this is the spoiler-free version of the review. After playing this game, you'll no longer wonder why Hollywood is losing out to the video games industry. These are stories *worth* telling. Expand
  3. Feb 1, 2013
    This is the best game I've ever played.
    This is the best game I've ever played.
    The game has a nice comic style, even if it sometimes looks a bit weird. The gameplay is not really outstanding, but this game does not need it, if you can call it ''game''. It's more of a historical narrative with quick-time events. And this story makes the game so great. The story, which is constructed in a structure in 5 episodes, is told so incredible. I believe that this experience I will not soon forget.
  4. Dec 11, 2012
    Video games are art, or are they? This is a question that has been floating around the industry for years but has never truly been taken serious until this generation of gaming. In many ways it really comes down to how grounded your opinion of art is. Is art free form to you? Is it something that can only be achieved via deep principals, or is it simply anything and everything that isVideo games are art, or are they? This is a question that has been floating around the industry for years but has never truly been taken serious until this generation of gaming. In many ways it really comes down to how grounded your opinion of art is. Is art free form to you? Is it something that can only be achieved via deep principals, or is it simply anything and everything that is created as a form of expression? While I am not going to further this argument with this review, I will say this. If video games have the ability to be art simply through story telling and tapping at the spine of our emotions then Telltale Expand
  5. Dec 20, 2012
    As long as you are the sort of person intelligent enough to realize that First and third person action games are not the only form of video game, this will become your favorite game of all time. Perhaps best described as an interactive story, Telltale's The Walking Dead became the masterpiece of a story so many of us know it for because its ability to make you feel empathy for itsAs long as you are the sort of person intelligent enough to realize that First and third person action games are not the only form of video game, this will become your favorite game of all time. Perhaps best described as an interactive story, Telltale's The Walking Dead became the masterpiece of a story so many of us know it for because its ability to make you feel empathy for its characters. Every character of the Walking Dead feels and responds like a real person. When a character dies, as they often will, you feel like **** Every death in that game is a terrible thing that will tear at your soul. Why play it then? For Clementine. For that one last precious thing you're fighting for. You play as Lee Everett, and once upon a time, you killed a man. The apocalypse seems almost too good to be true, at first - a second chance to for yourself. But as the story progresses it becomes more and more obvious that what's important isn't fighting for your own survival, but fighting for the survival of the people you come to care about so deeply as the story progresses. Expand
  6. Jul 16, 2013
    this is simply one of the greatest games I have ever played. Telltale proves why it is the king of adventure games
    pros: Clem and Lee
    -Clem in general -some of the most memorable characters ever -you will cry at parts -very strong emotional impact (i could not play for a week over the guilt of the death of a character) -the ending is amazing -interesting and realistic puzzles and
    pros: Clem and Lee
    -Clem in general
    -some of the most memorable characters ever
    -you will cry at parts
    -the ending is amazing
    -interesting and realistic puzzles and choices
    - a choice in episode 2 will matter for the rest of the game
    - true to the show and comic it is based on
    -figuring out which characters will be friends and which will be enemies (friend for me=Kenny enemy for me=Lily and Larry)
    cons
    -the ending while beautiful made me question "what was the point of this story"
    -puzzles
    -some choices don't really affect anything
    this game rises above its flaws and deserves twice as much of the praise it has gotten which is quite alot
  7. Jul 17, 2013
    There is only one Series that's having a better Story: Bioshock. And then comes The Walking Dead by Telltale Games. Im absolutely in love with this game. The story is sad, amazing, awesome, funny, etc... at the same time!
    The characters are absolute convincing and Clem is the best kid i've ever seen in a movie/game. Shes so cute and after several time you feel like her dad (i know its kinda weird...)
    Also the soundtrack is AWESOME, it brings in the perfect atmosphere.
    This game made me close crying sometimes
    10 out of 10 an absolutely amazing game, who dont plays it misses something big!
  8. Jul 11, 2013
    The border between film and video game becomes blurry, and the result is a unique interactive experience. This is a game about the choices that define who you are, and how the story adapts to those choices.
  9. Jun 12, 2013
    The graphics, storytelling, scriptwriting, voice acting and characters in this game are amazing!

You can relate to the characters and their personalities do grow throughout the story. The moral choices you have to make really influence your further interactions with you fellow survivors and to some degree how the story evolves. Every action has a reaction and some moral choices are key to how the story goes on. Every scene, every gesture on the characters face, every interaction between Lee (your character) and the other survivors is meaningful and properly written. True storytelling in games redefined.
  10. Dec 27, 2013
    This is one of the greatest feats in storytelling in the video game medium. You emotionally connect with main characters Lee and Clementine and your choices always feel like they matter. Point and click games may turn people off but I implore anyone who enjoys a good story to give The Walking Dead a chance. Its probably the only game that has ever got me close to crying at the end.
  11. Jan 5, 2013
    This is the best story based game ever released.Definitely GOTY 2012 for me.I haven't had so much fun and i felt like i was really ''living'' in that world.Everything you do have consequences later.
  12. Dec 24, 2012
    I am truly flabbergasted. lost for words. this game is everything that I've wanted for the longest time..I cant tell you for how long I've crazed an intellectually stimulating horror/mystery game that taps into the darkest corners of human nature...this game is beautifully done..there are times when you literally want to just pause and appreciate for just a moment longer how beautiful theI am truly flabbergasted. lost for words. this game is everything that I've wanted for the longest time..I cant tell you for how long I've crazed an intellectually stimulating horror/mystery game that taps into the darkest corners of human nature...this game is beautifully done..there are times when you literally want to just pause and appreciate for just a moment longer how beautiful the art styles are...the lighting director did a fantastic job at creating dramatic effect...

this game is NOT superficially dramatic...i cant emphasis it enough there are very few things in life that are able to make you truly feel empathy..to truly suspend reality and become thoroughly engrossed in a story line is something that is getting harder and harder to do...this game is able to do that and so much more..

please for the sake of expanding your own intellectual horizons BUY THIS GAME.

13. Apr 24, 2013
    Stop reading reviews on metacritic, get Telltale's The Walking Dead and get ready for a truly unique, enthralling and incredibly immersive experience (of the extent the gaming industry hasn't seen in many a year)!
  14. Feb 24, 2013
    By 2012/2013 standards The Walking Dead game should suck. Graphics are stylized yet low res and clunky, music may be good and atmospheric but sounds are so generic that they don't stick out and are average at best. And mostly and above all the game is old-school point-and-click like adventure divided into series of 5 episodes. All in all it's a recipe for a huge failure. This is how itBy 2012/2013 standards The Walking Dead game should suck. Graphics are stylized yet low res and clunky, music may be good and atmospheric but sounds are so generic that they don't stick out and are average at best. And mostly and above all the game is old-school point-and-click like adventure divided into series of 5 episodes. All in all it's a recipe for a huge failure. This is how it looks like in theory at least.

The truth is The Walking Dead deserves a solid 10/10 and was the gem of gaming in 2012 for me. I've mentioned all of it's shortcomings and I'm still sticking by it. As a game it's not great but as an interactive story with multiple twists and tribulations, involving characters, tough moral choices and a sense of ultimate despair that main characters are facing at all times makes it an EXTREMELY rewarding experience.
  15. Jan 19, 2013
    I was totally floored by this game. Even after hearing all the hype, I had no idea what I was in for. I'm a huge fan of story-based adventure games, and have played many of Telltale's other series. They have always been good at humor and cartoony worlds, but I questioned whether they could pull off a serious or dark game. My concerns were left shattered on the floor early on in episodeI was totally floored by this game. Even after hearing all the hype, I had no idea what I was in for. I'm a huge fan of story-based adventure games, and have played many of Telltale's other series. They have always been good at humor and cartoony worlds, but I questioned whether they could pull off a serious or dark game. My concerns were left shattered on the floor early on in episode one, and stayed there through the rest of the game, all the way to the shuddering end. This game grabs you and never lets go. As others have mentioned, I experienced many complex emotions throughout the game which I rarely feel when playing games. It was like the best thriller films, except I was involved in the choices so it felt even more personal. The writing and characters are so well done that you forget you are playing a game, and you never know what's around the bend. I feel like this game is a refreshing change, and only the beginning of what is possible in interactive storytelling if it is done right. I hope its popularity will push developers more into this front. Expand
  16. Dec 22, 2012
    More of an interactive narrative, not very "fun" but extremely moving, fascinating, and well worth the price. Episode 2 was the worst but after that they got progressively better and extremely good.
  17. Dec 25, 2012
    I have never played a game that can make you feel everything there is out there. A masterpiece. That ending alone deserves 10/10. Damn it, I cried like hell!
  18. Dec 11, 2012
    A great, intensive and emotional game.
    You really feel the weight of your decisions. You're decisions can be as "simple" as choosing who gets to it, to choosing if someone dies or not, who you'll save.
    Some of them, you'll regret further on.
    This game has a some great characters. It's not a hard game, and not too long, but it's worth every cent spent on it. Really recommend it!
  19. Dec 18, 2012
    It is rare for me to give a game a 10, but The Walking Dead deserves it. Most games use story to connect one level to the next, but in TWD the gameplay connects chapters of the story together... the story is the focus in TWD. This game has the best character development and story of any game out there. I found myself liking some character while disliking others and the choices I made inIt is rare for me to give a game a 10, but The Walking Dead deserves it. Most games use story to connect one level to the next, but in TWD the gameplay connects chapters of the story together... the story is the focus in TWD. This game has the best character development and story of any game out there. I found myself liking some character while disliking others and the choices I made in the game reflected my feelings towards individuals in the group. I have never had a game make me question my own morality. A choice I made in the heat of the moment later filled me with self doubt and regret... did I make the right choice... and believe me, the choices are not easy. The game makes you feel something for the different character in the game, and if the ending does not have you at least choking back tears... then you simply are not human! This game is an instant classic and on my short list for best game I have ever played. Expand
  20. Dec 28, 2012
    Having originally purchased the game without doing much research, I was surprised to find that it was an adventure game that takes place predominantly through cinematics or scripted conversations. Normally this would disappoint, but the story and depth of character is so strong in this game that it is absolutely my game of the year and an experience I will remember for the rest of my life.Having originally purchased the game without doing much research, I was surprised to find that it was an adventure game that takes place predominantly through cinematics or scripted conversations. Normally this would disappoint, but the story and depth of character is so strong in this game that it is absolutely my game of the year and an experience I will remember for the rest of my life.

As a 25 yr old male, I could hardly believe the moment that I burst into tears in the final act. It is as moving as any film and more engaging than any game that has come before it. You do not just feel the decisions that Lee makes as the protagonist, you feel as though you are standing in his shoes, and every decision you make is helping shape your journey through the zombie infested streets. If you buy one game in the next 5 years, I would suggest this one be near the top of your list of considerations.
  21. Jan 5, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. The installment model of distribution bothered me at first as I wanted to continue on with the story. In the end however, this actually built excitement for the game because the tale was so excellent. Even for those who are not into horror or apocalypse themes,I would recommend this game. The zombies are simply obstacles that are part ofThis is one of the best games I have ever played. The installment model of distribution bothered me at first as I wanted to continue on with the story. In the end however, this actually built excitement for the game because the tale was so excellent. Even for those who are not into horror or apocalypse themes,I would recommend this game. The zombies are simply obstacles that are part of the larger story which revolves around the people in the game. I won't leave any details (spoilers) but I think most players who enjoy a story driven approach will love this game. The themes explored are adult- redemption, loss, suffering and how people might behave when everything they have ever known comes to an end. Expand
  22. May 4, 2013
    The best game of 2012. No doubt. The best characters I've seen in a videogame,it's a game of emotions, you'll love the characters. The puzzles are a very simplistic, though.
  23. Dec 15, 2012
    Lets start with the best thing about this game which is the story. I was really impressed by the way things moved in the game one tragedy after the other you cant help but feel the tension that is surviving in a world like that. Even when i was just exploring I just couldnt feel safe anywhere. Also, almost all the characters in the game have managed to create a emotional response fromLets start with the best thing about this game which is the story. I was really impressed by the way things moved in the game one tragedy after the other you cant help but feel the tension that is surviving in a world like that. Even when i was just exploring I just couldnt feel safe anywhere. Also, almost all the characters in the game have managed to create a emotional response from myself. I hated some, I loved some but rarely I felt indifferent about them and that is always a plus. Honestly, at some point I started caring for Clementine like she was my own daughter. The only character I felt lacked depth was the main character but I think that may be on purpose because your supposed to feel like you are the main character. The gameplay itself was a little lackluster in some parts, with some solutions being WAY too obvious. I barely had to think when solving the problems in the game. But this isnt a traditional point and click adventure so I took only 1 point from my review. The graphics and sound are all top notch but some of the voice acting was bad to the point it made me laugh. Great game, definetly one of the best of the year. Expand
  24. Apr 12, 2013
    I picked this game up for 10 euros on steam sales and i gotta say.. This probably is the best 10 euros ever spent on a game. I absolutely love games that lets you choose different actions to make and also affect on storyline as you progress in the game. Characters are unique and different. Even when i felt moments where i actually wanted some guy to be dead or killed at the same time iI picked this game up for 10 euros on steam sales and i gotta say.. This probably is the best 10 euros ever spent on a game. I absolutely love games that lets you choose different actions to make and also affect on storyline as you progress in the game. Characters are unique and different. Even when i felt moments where i actually wanted some guy to be dead or killed at the same time i could sympathise with them. This truly is a magnificent game and worth its value and i highly recommend that everyone who likes story based games goes out and buys this right away. Expand
  25. Apr 25, 2013
    That's how I was left after finishing each episode of this game. And for a bonus I was left with a tear in my eye by the third and fifth chapter. This game must be played by anyone who loves storytelling and amazing dialogues in video game and even movies. What many are complaining about is that there is no gameplay or oh this isn't a game it's an interactive show but they are missing the That's how I was left after finishing each episode of this game. And for a bonus I was left with a tear in my eye by the third and fifth chapter. This game must be played by anyone who loves storytelling and amazing dialogues in video game and even movies. What many are complaining about is that there is no gameplay or oh this isn't a game it's an interactive show but they are missing the entire point of the game! It isn't to collect killstreaks or to amaze with set pieces, it's to move your emotional strings and make you care about it's characters! If this isn't your type of game don't play it but this review is for the ones who knew what they were in for. You play as Lee Everett, a man with a shady past who in the midst of a zombie apocalypse finds a lonely little girl, Clementine. The moment you meet her you feel the burden of having to protect her and it doesn't ever go away. There were moments I felt so much sympathy for her or even doubt of myself if I was good enough for her that I felt things only real life could achieve! This is a very dark game, for those who didn't know! You will see a lot of up things and meet some up characters (episode 2, holy crap). But you will meet others who will join your group and become friends with you. And by god there will be choices! Choices that matter even from the first episode! And you will disagree even with your best companions in some cases! I repeat this is some intense and there's gonna e tension in the air. But I can say in the third chapter there was one so strong character development that I shed a TEAR! And of course the final episode I cried, literally cried. And not just in one scene! This game will move you! Even if you are the most stone cold emotionless man in the country. About the gameplay I can say it's point and click and there are tense scenes that require you to press a button really fast or stuff but nothing very gripping. But th strong is in the dialogue options! You have to think and react fast and believe me there will be a time or two that you will do something you would have never done in any other choice game. Like I said this game requires your emotions and ideas to play, not the ones from the character! So in general if you love good stories and great character development and dialogue you are in for the experience of the year! I'm gonna give it a nine because it doesn't really appeal to everybody! But great game for the right audience! Expand
  26. BMF
    Dec 11, 2012
    The Walking Dead is the best story based game I have played in a long time. I got very attached to my character and those around him and felt compelled to help everyone even though thats a imposable task. The dialoge options are vast and I found myself lost in telltales world. I can not wait untill episode one season 2 is released!
  27. Koo
    Jan 5, 2013
    Having played all 5 games in the series, I am confident in awarding it my Game of the Year 2012. With its unique visual style and compelling storyline, The Walking Dead pulls you in and does not let go. Curious how your decisions compare with those of players around the world? The game lets you know at the end of every episode how your decisions measure up. Don't have 20 hours freeHaving played all 5 games in the series, I am confident in awarding it my Game of the Year 2012. With its unique visual style and compelling storyline, The Walking Dead pulls you in and does not let go. Curious how your decisions compare with those of players around the world? The game lets you know at the end of every episode how your decisions measure up. Don't have 20 hours free time every week? No problem. Each episode is 2-3 hours long. Stop reading this review and TRY THIS GAME already!! Expand
  28. Jan 25, 2013
    I really have to say this game is almost perfection. I was worried about it going in that it would focus too much on random zombie action and take away from WHY we love the Walking Dead. We like it because it actually has story and character development. Not just random gore. The game is a point and click adventure. If that's not your type of game wait for the crappy FPS coming out soon.I really have to say this game is almost perfection. I was worried about it going in that it would focus too much on random zombie action and take away from WHY we love the Walking Dead. We like it because it actually has story and character development. Not just random gore. The game is a point and click adventure. If that's not your type of game wait for the crappy FPS coming out soon. (That I'll still probably play.) The timed decisions mechanic is a great move from the developers. Only have seconds to make a split choice really ripens the tension and panic of your situations. On top of that the game has a lot of content. 5 full episodes that can be a couple hours each to finish, with different paths and outcomes depending on how your handle things. Every choice you make can affect you way later down the road to similar to the style Mass Effect recently took.

If your a fan of the show, comics, zombies in general and like a good game that will challenge your wit and morals, get it.
  29. Jan 4, 2013
    You know what? I don't care for many of the flaws that plague this game. All those little annoyances are nothing, nothing to detract you from this master of story driven games. Obviously, video games are not exactly high regarded when it comes to the storyline and yet This game has some of the best set of narrative, characters, and dialog you can find in the industry. But is it a game,You know what? I don't care for many of the flaws that plague this game. All those little annoyances are nothing, nothing to detract you from this master of story driven games. Obviously, video games are not exactly high regarded when it comes to the storyline and yet This game has some of the best set of narrative, characters, and dialog you can find in the industry. But is it a game, really? I see it as more of an experience. An interactive tv series, if you will. Gameplay elements are rather thin in this game, like in most point and click adventure games. The chocies you make are difficult, and even if they don't have too much effect on the outcome of the story(from what we have seen at the end of the 5 chapters), they still change characters behavior and dialog along the way. But it doesn't matter at all, in my opinion. The choices you make still dictate how you will feel at the end of the game. Have I done the right thing here? could I have saved this person if I did that? if you are making choices without caring too much because it's "just a game", then your experience will be the same. The characters are outstanding, through voice acting and choices they make, this is as far as you can get from the "black and white" storyline that's found in most videogames these days. If you invest yourself into the narrative and characters, and really think about what's the right thing to do(in your eyes), you could find yourself drawn into one of the best games of the year, or interactive movies, or however you wanna call it. It really doesn't matter one bit. Expand
  30. Mar 16, 2013
    The game excels in the character development that overshadows almost every game in the industry now. The gameplay is not complicated or hard, so it SHOULD lose points for lacking in that department, but the writing is so far beyond what we have that it deserves a 10/10.

I bought it once it won game of the year, and it deserved the win. Writing is so important now. The gaming industry is getting larger and its audience more mature. We need games that immerse us, not just entertain us. I love movies and some games need to be a medium to tell a story. If I just want gameplay I'll go play my vast arcade game library (fez, shootmania, dota 2, etc).

It’s not perfect but The Walking Dead is one of the most important advances in interactive fiction for a generation, with some of the most memorable characters of any video game.
  2. Mar 15, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a serious, solid, but clay-footed work; in truth, it wouldn't stand out from the crowd if video game storytelling wasn't so impoverished to begin with.
  3. Feb 10, 2013
    A test of your moral fortitude in a world that's gone to the dogs. [March 2013, p.76]