8.4

1. Jul 25, 2015
    qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    The immersion and tension are well-designed and well-done. The issue I have with this game is that it is exceedingly linear, in almost direct contrast to the claims of allowing the player to direct their own experience. The decisions are few and far between, and almost entirely binary, you can choose from among two, often absurdly limiting choices; and for large stretches of the game youThe immersion and tension are well-designed and well-done. The issue I have with this game is that it is exceedingly linear, in almost direct contrast to the claims of allowing the player to direct their own experience. The decisions are few and far between, and almost entirely binary, you can choose from among two, often absurdly limiting choices; and for large stretches of the game you do nothing while the character bumbles through situations, trips and falls, or otherwise ignores potential actions that would be obvious. The voice acting is decent, the animation is excellent, but the linear play and lack of control, not to mention the poor interface, detract significantly from the game. Expand
  3. Oct 23, 2013
    Don't go into this expecting game-play. It isn't really a game, just an interactive story. Like most, it is somewhat lacking in freedom simply because they have to make different outcomes for each that branch off into more and more. Many times if you make a choice that doesn't fit the story then someone else makes that choice for you. Also most of the "tough decisions" are arbitraryDon't go into this expecting game-play. It isn't really a game, just an interactive story. Like most, it is somewhat lacking in freedom simply because they have to make different outcomes for each that branch off into more and more. Many times if you make a choice that doesn't fit the story then someone else makes that choice for you. Also most of the "tough decisions" are arbitrary choices of which person to save. (Always out of 2 people) So far there have been no choices where it is possible to save multiple people or anything like that. That being said, the characters are well developed and choices do make a difference in character development.

The graphics are a huge negative. The living drawing type graphics are neat, but many smaller things are only low res instead of the higher resolution everything else has. Furthermore, no vertical sync! That is just a huge slap in the face to PC users. Constant screen tearing simply because the developer decided to do a straight console port with no vertical sync is ridiculous.

Overall a fun way to experience a story. Unfortunately that is undermined by lack of control over the story itself and constant screen tearing from no v-sync. Still worth buying on sale though.
  4. Aug 5, 2013
    This episode help you to learn more about Lee, Clementine and the rest. This episode is great but a bit long. There's not a lot of action and way more talking.
  5. Jun 8, 2013
    Graphic is very good, story is excellent, but this is not the game, this is an interactive movie, and nothing more. After the any other game you could said i spend many hours playing it, but for this game is watching it!
  6. Feb 11, 2013
    Not bad but very disappointing, I agree with many others who are stating that this game was falsely advertised. It is very linear, most of the time I couldn't get into the story or connect with any characters. It is very much like a bad B movie. Many events and actions in the game were so cliche and painfully retarded I was hoping all of the characters would simply die because I found INot bad but very disappointing, I agree with many others who are stating that this game was falsely advertised. It is very linear, most of the time I couldn't get into the story or connect with any characters. It is very much like a bad B movie. Many events and actions in the game were so cliche and painfully retarded I was hoping all of the characters would simply die because I found I couldn't care less. The audio is great.
    The Graphics are a simplified artistic style. Like it or don't like it, they could be less black-outlined for my tastes.
    The animations and nuances of characters and movements are overall great but sometimes ridiculous.

Point and click games are rather boring, "Fahrenheit" aka "Indigo Prophecy" is a good example of a successful point and click game. This game however tailors to people who love the "characters-are-so-stupid" horror film type movies. If you hate horror films because they lack any rhyme or reason then you'll hate this game as well... as did I.
  7. Jan 1, 2013
    I'll start of by saying that I do love the story line and I found the gameplay to be fun (It's more of an interactive story like Heavy Rain for PS3), but after a second play through it is easy to see that the game is actually quite linear.

I experienced multiple issues with this game that just made it frustrating to play through at times. Game saves would stop working properly after completing the first episode, and if I tried to continue from that saved file I would only be left with a black screen and no progress towards loading the game.

The mouse also acts up a lot. It seems that the further I got into the game the more stubborn the response is and I actually found myself rushing the last chapter just so I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore.

In the end, I think the game warrants 1 play through at least. For zombie lovers out there the story will keep you on the edge of your seats. But as long as the same issues plague this game, replaying it will only prove to be more frustrating than entertaining. Telltale Games hasn't really taken any action towards fixing these issues though so I won't be holding my breath.
  8. Dec 30, 2012
    First of all, THIS IS NOT A GAME.
    Second, the choices you make have only an extremely marginal impact on the development of the story.
    Even though, it is, indeed, a very interesting development in story telling.
    INTERACTIVE ANIMATION, I would say.
  9. Dec 28, 2012
    Great art and a great look throughout the game. Story is well written and most of the instructions are well done, few are lacking direction though. Sometimes the reaction doesn't fit what you thought it should have been...
    Sorry, but this "game" could have been done in flash and put on Kong for free. Not enough "meat" for me being a gamer, this is an interactive comic. However, I am using it to introduce my wife into games as she is a big Walking Dead fan.

I give it a 7 as it really is an overpriced interactive book, pick it up on sale.
  10. Dec 6, 2012
    I bought this game because I really liked the show, and the good thing about this game is the amazing story line. Some of the episodes in the game I found to be more interesting than those of the show. However I don't feel like your choices really changed the game, some of the situations had the same outcome no matter which option you chose. I won't lie though there are places where theI bought this game because I really liked the show, and the good thing about this game is the amazing story line. Some of the episodes in the game I found to be more interesting than those of the show. However I don't feel like your choices really changed the game, some of the situations had the same outcome no matter which option you chose. I won't lie though there are places where the things you choose change, but it is mostly to do with your group. At the end of the episode you will still end up in the same place and have achieved almost the same thing. This doesn't mean that the game isn't enjoyable over all, it's actually quite fun.

If you want a game that will give you lots of play time like COD or L4D2 however, I don't believe this is it, it is not created to be a full out slaughter of zombies. It's original though and if you like the show or have read the story, I would recommend playing it.
  11. Jul 17, 2012
    You remember that old game from the 1980's -- Dragon's Lair? the one where you made a choice and based on that choice you lived or died? That's exactly what Walking Dead is like. The game is a top-heavy scripted cartoon. Especially bothersome, the game doesn't require much in the way of intelligence to even play nor is it real challenging (unless you consider random illogical puzzlesYou remember that old game from the 1980's -- Dragon's Lair? the one where you made a choice and based on that choice you lived or died? That's exactly what Walking Dead is like. The game is a top-heavy scripted cartoon. Especially bothersome, the game doesn't require much in the way of intelligence to even play nor is it real challenging (unless you consider random illogical puzzles challenging). If you like games like Left 4 Dead, you're not gonna like this one very much......The controls of the game are totally confusing. You will find yourself dying in this cartoon not because you don't know what to do but rather because you do not know how to do it with the controls! You learn after a while, but it still upsetting that the controls are counter-intuitive. Perhaps they should have included a small tutorial that would get a player familiar with the controls.

Speaking of controls, moving around is equally junky. When you move the character around (via 3rd person) you can not move them around just anyway you like. The game severely limits movement and because of this, your perspective of the location is very limited. Coming off a game like Left For Dead, where observing what is going on in all directions is extremely vital to survival, this will drive you absolutely crazy.

I like a good story driven game as much as the next person, but that is not here. I enjoyed Neil Manke's They Hunger much more. It had a cool scripted story-line but wasn't restrictive in game play at all.

But with the Scripted Nature of this game, you will spend more time watching scripted cut-scene dialogues than actually Doing Anything. When you actually get to do something, it feels restrained- like a Choose Your Own Adventure Book. You find out it doesn't matter in any case because the story is only going in one direction (unlike a choose your own adventure book)!

I give the game props for a unique look. that's why it scored a 5, The rest of this game is solid 3.
    I saw some reviews on here where people said, don't rate it low if you don't like this type of game....HUH? That's like saying "don't rate the game if you don't like the game."

I got this game on sale, I'd wait for it to be five bucks before you buy it if you want to try it. It's seriously not worth more than that.
  12. Jun 29, 2012
    I discovered the walking dead comics after this game, who gave me the taste to try it (and usually i m not so much a comic book reader) or a zombie fan...
    The story is great so far, but there is still a big issue with keyboard configuration: playing on an azerty keyboard, you can't change keymapping and thus rely on arrow keys, which is frankly not good for a game on pc...
    Otherwise,
    Otherwise, very cool little game, i just hope they will fix this keyboard problem for the next episodes
  13. Jun 14, 2012
    Good and interesting game but it has its drawbacks. Too short, the second episode won't soon, and finally i think that The Walking Dead(it's my opinion) is a parody for Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain. But this "parody" is good.
  14. Jun 11, 2012
    Episode 1 has some linear parts, where essentially no matter what choice you make in the game- you will end up at the same outcome later. Game Survival is fully centered around quicktime events, where pushing the correct button quickly and multiple times is key. This makes game-play centered more around fast reflexes instead of logical thinking and planning. Unfortunately the playerEpisode 1 has some linear parts, where essentially no matter what choice you make in the game- you will end up at the same outcome later. Game Survival is fully centered around quicktime events, where pushing the correct button quickly and multiple times is key. This makes game-play centered more around fast reflexes instead of logical thinking and planning. Unfortunately the player does not get to keep weapons in the game, nor choose which weapons they want to use against enemies. The fighting sequences are fully scripted using a particular weapon (picked up just prior to battle) and seem intended for immediate use. Due to the rather linear style of game-play, I cannot recommend this as a true RPG, more like a scripted movie with quick-time events thrown in. A game that feels very similar to this one is Heavy Rain for the PS3. Since the game is the first-part of a five-part episodic series, the game length of this episode is rather short. I completed episode 1 in approximately 40 minutes. Timely releases of subsequent episodes appears to be problematic for the publisher. Episode 1 was released on April 24th, 2012. When The Walking Dead game was being advertised prior to launch, Telltales Entertainment promised releases for new episodes "every month", but since the launch of episode 1 they have inexplicably postponed releasing episode 2. Now their official stance on releasing new episodes has been modified on their website as "approximately every month". As of this writing it is June 11th, and episode 2 has still not been released which means it has been approximately two months since the last episode has been released. Potential customers should therefor, expect delays if they wish to purchase the Season Pass option. Overall, I feel the game is an average entry into what is essentially a CGI movie with scripted sequences and quicktime events. Heavy Rain, by comparison, is more polished in practically every area to include graphics, sound, characters, and plot. You are also dealing with untimely releases of subsequent episodes- even at the rate of 1 month per episode you are looking forward to 40 minutes of new game-play every month, which most people will agree is ridiculous. At face value, I would usually score an average game like this one with an average score of 6; but the untimely releases of subsequent episodes further degrades the appeal of the series to an even lower-average-score of 5. Expand
  15. Jun 2, 2012
    The guy fall allt the time, it´s so anoying. And a big grafic problem, it shutters at every scene change and my macbookpro is more hot than with game like Alana Wake or Diablo 3.
  16. May 31, 2012
    I'm not even sure I would call this a game - it's like one of those "choose your adventure" books. Huge Walking Dead fan here, so had to have this and am glad I got it. But I'm also an avid computer gamer (going on 25 years now) and if I referred this to my other gaming friends - those who aren't into the Walking Dead - as a "must have" game, they'd never trust my opinion again.

Think

Think the voice acting and art work is terrific. The limited character movement and generic choices in this point and click story are weak to average at best.

If you're a Walking Dead fan, you won't be disappointed. However, if you're a gamer looking for another zombie shoot 'em up like L4D2 or rpg/action game like Dead Island, I'd look elsewhere.
  17. May 25, 2012
    The game can be some what fun in respect to the comic book and movie events with only less then 2 hours of gaming. Then on to what the game has to offer, lacks in the forced story line and the character control. well that just doesn't cut it. The original story line can not be changed no matter what decision is made the game still contnues in the direction it was forced into, also anyThe game can be some what fun in respect to the comic book and movie events with only less then 2 hours of gaming. Then on to what the game has to offer, lacks in the forced story line and the character control. well that just doesn't cut it. The original story line can not be changed no matter what decision is made the game still contnues in the direction it was forced into, also any time there is a puzzle to be solved any idea of interacting to solve it with a locial decision never seem to be the key to get it to work. The usage of items in the game that you would never think of using for a solution to puzzles is off the wall decision making.I hope the next episode is better then the first. I gave it a 4 because it did get less then 2 hrs of game play out of me and $20.00 out of my pocket. Expand
  18. May 24, 2012
    I gave it a lower score not because of the game play but for the game play time. It took about 2 hours to finish. There are supposed to be a total of five episodes. If each of the episodes have a play time of 2 hours, that would be $125.00 for a ten hour game. That is a little steep by anyone's standards I think. Yes it was an interesting game, and the artwork very well done. You reallyI gave it a lower score not because of the game play but for the game play time. It took about 2 hours to finish. There are supposed to be a total of five episodes. If each of the episodes have a play time of 2 hours, that would be $125.00 for a ten hour game. That is a little steep by anyone's standards I think. Yes it was an interesting game, and the artwork very well done. You really had the feel of playing a moving graphic novel. The point and click thing does get a little hairy when your in the heat of the moment but it was all good. Easy to get used to. But I think I will wait till the whole series comes out and then buy the packaged deal. I think the complete series should be no more the $50, and that is still a little pricey for 10 hours of play. Expand
  19. May 6, 2012
    Simple and enjoyable, yet not worth the price of admission so far - I hope it gets better. I have never read the comics but I enjoy a good zombie game. I have always based my overall approval of a game based on how much time I get out of it compared to the price -- 1 hour of game play = $1 regardless of genre. As an example playing Skyrim I am way over 200 hours, and can say I got my valueSimple and enjoyable, yet not worth the price of admission so far - I hope it gets better. I have never read the comics but I enjoy a good zombie game. I have always based my overall approval of a game based on how much time I get out of it compared to the price -- 1 hour of game play = $1 regardless of genre. As an example playing Skyrim I am way over 200 hours, and can say I got my value for my dollar. COD, I don't play multiplayer and finish the single compaign in 10 hours (not worth the price for me). With Walking Dead Ep1. I finished the first episode in about 2 hours. If this is the same across all episodes then I would only get 10 hours... and I paid about $26 on Steam. Thus not worth the price for me. Not having read the comics the story line felt like it skipped or went through too fast. There were several scenes that felt disconnected or forced through the story. I did like the characters however and I believe the voice actors did a fine job. I look forward to the future episodes and hope the developers do more, I enjoyed the puzzles and choices presented. Expand
  20. May 4, 2012
    I guess I am biased while talking about this because I freaking LOVE the comics. The show is good too, (but nothing near is awesome as the comics) , The game was good fun, though I feel it was kind of annoying to play. The click and point mechanic gets tiresome very quickly and kind of takes me out of the moment. If you go back and click on the same spot more than once, he just saysI guess I am biased while talking about this because I freaking LOVE the comics. The show is good too, (but nothing near is awesome as the comics) , The game was good fun, though I feel it was kind of annoying to play. The click and point mechanic gets tiresome very quickly and kind of takes me out of the moment. If you go back and click on the same spot more than once, he just says the same thing over and over and you can't stop the dialog once it starts. Definitely would have preferred a more open world, but I realize the developer wants a very scripted event to happen, which is fine I guess, just not what I would necessarily want with a video game. The biggest problem for me with this game, was it was extremely laggy. I don't see anyone else commenting about the lag so maybe it was just me, but with a game like this I would think it would be more optimized, it not like it is a game that will crush my system. get rid of the lag, and I would give this game a higher score, probably a 7. Expand
  21. May 3, 2012
    TL;DR: If you don't like The Walking Dead or point and click adventures, you should stay away, or at least watch a YouTube playthrough. I've been a pretty big fan of The Walking Dead since the television series aired back in 2010. I distinctly remember having Walking Dead parties with college classmates on Sunday nights to tune in and watch the massacre. Since then I've read the comics upTL;DR: If you don't like The Walking Dead or point and click adventures, you should stay away, or at least watch a YouTube playthrough. I've been a pretty big fan of The Walking Dead since the television series aired back in 2010. I distinctly remember having Walking Dead parties with college classmates on Sunday nights to tune in and watch the massacre. Since then I've read the comics up until issue 90 and watch every single episode. Basically I felt obligated to get this game. My struggle was that I've never liked point and click, and I still don't think I ever will. The only exception that generates my excitement for this game is The Walking Dead name is on it. If you're not a fan of the show or comics, or even point and clicks, you should probably stay away. I finished the episode in about two hours. Those achievements popped up pretty often it seemed like, so I assumed it was going to be fairly short - it is. The reason I'm giving the game a 7/10 is because of it's technical obstacles like other reviewers have mentioned. Sometimes frames would jump, seem as if it was rendering a frame right then and there so obviously (on my pretty powerful rig). Expand
  22. May 1, 2012
    It's pretty fun but too short. Roughly 2 hours on Episode 1. Doesn't really play like a game, but rather like an interactive movie. I do like the characters and the acting, but some things are annoying like the simplicity of the game. It is almost impossible to ever fail or die. The 'puzzles' are supereasy and get rubbed in your face which is kind of a throwoff. Overall decent game but IIt's pretty fun but too short. Roughly 2 hours on Episode 1. Doesn't really play like a game, but rather like an interactive movie. I do like the characters and the acting, but some things are annoying like the simplicity of the game. It is almost impossible to ever fail or die. The 'puzzles' are supereasy and get rubbed in your face which is kind of a throwoff. Overall decent game but I hope for better interaction, much harder difficulty and longer playtime for the next episodes. Expand
  23. Apr 27, 2012
    Not a bad game by any means, but not even a masterpiece; the story is too much clichè and you'll find yourself into quite a lot of deja vu's which are typical of the setting, like people getting scared that one of your companions may be a zombie, shelling out from a zombie horde, hearing radio reports, zombie relatives, axes, headshots and such; yet it does a good job makingNot a bad game by any means, but not even a masterpiece; the story is too much clichè and you'll find yourself into quite a lot of deja vu's which are typical of the setting, like people getting scared that one of your companions may be a zombie, shelling out from a zombie horde, hearing radio reports, zombie relatives, axes, headshots and such; yet it does a good job making the proper setting and giving a nice background of the characters.
    I'm not really impressed technical wise; the graphics grows on you fastly enough, but the setting still feels too cartoony to deliver the proper impact, there is no way to change the camera angle and the interface is way too simplicistic and it's unlikely that it will be able to hold some deeper gameplay other than simple QTE or minor inventory puzzles.
    More than once I actually wanted to be able to control my weaponry directly, but I do reckon this was not the focus of the game.
    Sadly what hurts the game the most for me is the lack of actual freedom; in a game that prides himself for the decisions that will alter your gameplay experience the game definitely falls short in that department; there are just 5 nodes that will lead to a different cutscene and just one single choice actually leads to a different plot development that can be carried to the next episodes and the rest is just some line of dialogue that you can be free to pick at random.
    True freedom should mean allowing me to have the chance to try the plans I have in my mind to save my companions, to be able to get rid of a zombie not just by killing but also by making him unharmful, to be able to leave a conversation when I see that there is something that seems more pressing at the same moment.
    All of this would require a much more refined engine that sadly a company that comes from adventure games still isn't able to provide, yet this early experiment was worth a try and I'm hopeful that it will lead to a more free and meaningful experience in the following episodes.
  24. Apr 25, 2012
    As a game, this would be horrible, but if you understand going in that this is just an interactive cartoon for mature audiences, you will appreciate it for what it is... if you're a fan of the comics or the TV series, at least. It lacks background information for someone who doesn't know this series. The plot is reasonably interesting, for the genre, and the dialogs are well acted andAs a game, this would be horrible, but if you understand going in that this is just an interactive cartoon for mature audiences, you will appreciate it for what it is... if you're a fan of the comics or the TV series, at least. It lacks background information for someone who doesn't know this series. The plot is reasonably interesting, for the genre, and the dialogs are well acted and credible. My main complaint is that the actions are timed. This is so much like a movie that you tend to sit back and watch, occasionally noticing that a reply is expected. It's very frustrating to have a timer that forces you to answer within a short amount of time. The game either needs more interaction to keep the player involved enough that a need for an action doesn't come as a surprise or it needs to patiently wait for the user to put down his coffee and pick up the keyboard or controller. As it is, the balance isn't right. Also, at the time of this review, the game is disappointingly unoptimized. Running on a top end system that runs the most demanding AAA games with maximum quality graphics at 1080p, this game frequently stalls on a frame for a few seconds, making it feel as if it's loading an overlay from a floppy disk. That's seriously amateurish, especially given the extreme simplicity of this game, from a technical perspective. I would recommend it for fans of the series, but only when it drops to half its current price. Expand
  25. Apr 24, 2012
    It is difficult to classify this as a game. At best, it's more like an interactive movie with a few choices and some rudimentary puzzles and dialogue thrown in between scenes. However, as disappointed as I am with it's playability, I am impressed with the story so far and the characters. I'm also intrigued by the concepts that those choices that make in the game will not only haveIt is difficult to classify this as a game. At best, it's more like an interactive movie with a few choices and some rudimentary puzzles and dialogue thrown in between scenes. However, as disappointed as I am with it's playability, I am impressed with the story so far and the characters. I'm also intrigued by the concepts that those choices that make in the game will not only have impact on developments within the same episode, but other episodes to come.
    A single play-through took me about 3.5 hours, I'm debating a replay to make slightly different choices.
    A big minus for me comes from the control configuration screen - it's for configuring a console controller! Telltale, seriously - we aren't all console players!!!! Please put in a bit of effort for us PC gamers - we're pretty sick of sloppy ports and would, for once like a PC game that actually looks like it's been polished a little :0)
  26. Oct 16, 2012
    This, just like the rest of Tell-Tale's games I've played, is a very well done interactive story. If you are looking for a heavy action-oriented game, or an RPG, or a more traditional puzzle or point and click adventure game, look elsewhere. What the game does is tell a gritty, brutal, and interesting story very well, and give you enough choices that actually do affect the story. SomeThis, just like the rest of Tell-Tale's games I've played, is a very well done interactive story. If you are looking for a heavy action-oriented game, or an RPG, or a more traditional puzzle or point and click adventure game, look elsewhere. What the game does is tell a gritty, brutal, and interesting story very well, and give you enough choices that actually do affect the story. Some people said the options were cosmetic, this is not true. After having played the next couple of episodes after this one, the choices you make DO MATTER. Different people react to you depending on the side you take during conflicts, who you choose to save during zombie attacks, etc. Many times the game makes you choose between two equally bad options. This a a masterpiece of moral ambiguity. I personally think this is one of the most realistic post-apocalyptic games I've played. There is no good choice or bad choice, just a choice. If you take too long to decide who to save, they both could die. Some people complained about the time limits on conversations and in attacks and such, but I feel like this makes it more real. If you are talking to someone and wait to long to say something, it gets awkward and they walk away or change the subject. The game works like that, makes things flow like they would in real life. The art style is like a comic book. The game is based on a comic book. It makes sense, and I like it. If you want a graphically intensive hyper-realistic zombie game, play Dead Island. This is basically an interactive comic book and the art style reflects that. The first episode is the shortest one, about 45 minutes or so. The second episode was about an hour and a half. The third episode was around 3 hours. I haven't played the other two, but if they each continue to get bigger, the game will end up being decently long. All in all, a great game, and a welcome expansion to The Walking Dead canon. Collapse

1. Jul 8, 2012
    Great both standalone and as a gateway to a larger series. Let's hope it all pans out. [July 2012, p.76]
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    A slow-burn character study, some quick thinking and a constant air of menace make for a gripping start to a new adventure. [July 2012, p.68]
  3. Jun 28, 2012
    Rich atmosphere compensates for poor gameplay mechanics of The Walking Dead.