8.4

1. Jul 24, 2012
    If you are like me and learned of this series due to the TV show and not the comic then you will be in for surprise. This could be either a good or bad thing depending on what your expectations are. If you're hoping for it to follow the same story with the same characters from the show then you will be disappointed, however you will notice similarities between the two. Now if you DO knowIf you are like me and learned of this series due to the TV show and not the comic then you will be in for surprise. This could be either a good or bad thing depending on what your expectations are. If you're hoping for it to follow the same story with the same characters from the show then you will be disappointed, however you will notice similarities between the two. Now if you DO know of the comics, or you are willing to look past the tv series differences then you will find much enjoyment out of the story presented.

Those of you new to point and click adventures will have no trouble delving right into this title. The game play is pretty straightforward relying mostly on the player to either make decisions or solve puzzles. Also nothing is so cryptic that you'll feel the urge to go search for answers on the internet, but some areas may stump some people more than others. There are moments that require quick reflexes, but not so much that you're distracted from taking in the story and atmosphere. Sadly, this game offers little in replay value because of the way it is played but most people will want to play the episodes at least twice to see the outcome of different choices made.

The sound and visuals are all nicely done. The game has a certain comic book style about it (and with good reason since it is based off a comic). There is a nice amount of detail in each character and scene. The game does have a few graphical glitches from time to time though. Occasionally objects might clip through the camera, and sometimes objects and people have a tendency to sort of stutter in the world. It doesn't happen so often that it is problematic though, but it can take you out of the moment for a brief second when it happens. The music and voice really help set the tone for each scene. Most of the voice acting is done very nicely. Characters display emotion which will make some of the decisions you have to make that much harder when the time comes.

This game isn't for everyone, but for those of you that like a casual/relaxed play style so you can focus on story you should enjoy this.
  2. Aug 17, 2012
    Not nearly as good as Episode 2, but still well written and a good start to a hopefully/probably good game. Due to the episodic character of the game, this exposition was a bit too short for my taste and there was not yet enough dramatic development.
  3. Aug 29, 2012
    This game isn't perfect, but it's the walking dead game we all were looking for. Too bad animations are not that great, but the graphic is overall satisfying as it resembles the comic. 8,5.
  4. Nov 11, 2012
    Good story, as it should be. The first time I played this game through, I was nervous about making choices; those were good and interesting though troublesome. If you like watching movies and dramas, I recommend this game. if you are looking for action game or RPG, don't buy it.
  5. Nov 24, 2012
    The entirety of the Walking Dead ep. 1-5 (I'll review the entirety of the series) lacks somewhat as a video game in that the game play is rather annoying with simplistic puzzle solving but as a storytelling experience it is outstanding. The story is awesome to put it plainly with a diverse range of great characters. Throughout the game your disposition towards each of them will swingThe entirety of the Walking Dead ep. 1-5 (I'll review the entirety of the series) lacks somewhat as a video game in that the game play is rather annoying with simplistic puzzle solving but as a storytelling experience it is outstanding. The story is awesome to put it plainly with a diverse range of great characters. Throughout the game your disposition towards each of them will swing profoundly and this along with your own morality will affect the decisions you make. Some decisions change the game and story dramatically but even if they don't it is satisfying to see even the most minute dialogue choice acknowledged in actions later in the game. Ultimately though this game made me care about the story and its characters, something that only a small minority of games have done and it remains the only one to have actually made me cry upon its conclusion.

The gameplay itself has its drawback but the game itself is a work of art even if it is slightly flawed. Think of it as the Mona Lisa painted with crayons.
  6. Nov 25, 2012
    I will write this review based on all 5 episodes, mostly because it would be useless to write the same thing 5 times in a row and, most importantly, this is the pilot episode and so it's best to start here and tell if the game is worth or not. Also, I'm not a fan of the tv series so I have no idea if it follows the series or not, so I'm playing from the unknown. In any case, this game it'sI will write this review based on all 5 episodes, mostly because it would be useless to write the same thing 5 times in a row and, most importantly, this is the pilot episode and so it's best to start here and tell if the game is worth or not. Also, I'm not a fan of the tv series so I have no idea if it follows the series or not, so I'm playing from the unknown. In any case, this game it's a great story with well developed characters and a very good setting. The game is a sort of point and click game and it's highly based on quicktime events and quick answers: the game will register your choices and they'll be shown later with different results and different characters. As an adventure game is actually kinda mediocre because they are very few and not that hard: just need a bit of searching. Also, you're not always controlling the character and you'll mostly do the talking and choices more than anything else. There are also parts where you shoot and have to aim with your weapons but it's nothing special: it's more about reflexes than anything. With this out of the way, I do have "one" big complain: the choices. The game as I said will give you choices in what to do, who to save, what actions to make etc, and some of them will eventually change the adventure (the game itself says "the story is tailored by how you play"). However, these choices aren't extreme: you'll just change some minor parts and relations with other characters, which is nice, but the story will be the exact same each time and that alone is kind of small mainly because this would be actually a great game if the choices you made would change the story as well, even in a worse way! This game somehow resembles Heavy Rain, with the difference that ,in there, your choices actually HAVE consequences and actually DO change the story, while in here is only a glimpse. and kinda disappointing. But it's still a great adventure game nevertheless and I really enjoyed playing it to the end (again, this review is made after all 5 episodes are out, and my complaints are the same for all 5 episodes). Maybe it's a bit short (each episode last about 2-3 hours, depending on how fast you're are) but it's kinda replayable if you want to try differently some choices and stuff; it's not costy also (about 25 euros/dollars. I bought on discount though) so it's definitely worth a looking if you're thirsty of adventure games with good stories and good characters: you will have a good time, no matter the flaws. Expand
  7. Nov 26, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of the TV series that goes with by the same name and I've never seen any of the comic books where this game roots from. Neither did I value the Telltale Monkey Island spin offs much. Based on several high ratings on Metacritic I gave it a go and was quite surprised. The characters evolve beautiful and crawl under your skin. This is for me one of the best story settingI'm not a big fan of the TV series that goes with by the same name and I've never seen any of the comic books where this game roots from. Neither did I value the Telltale Monkey Island spin offs much. Based on several high ratings on Metacritic I gave it a go and was quite surprised. The characters evolve beautiful and crawl under your skin. This is for me one of the best story setting environments I've experienced in 30 years of gaming. Don't expect some l33t ninja button bashing or sleepless mind puzzle solving requirements from this game. This is a numbed down adventure game on rails -- but a very good one. Expand
  8. Nov 26, 2012
    The walking dead is an interactive story with mild puzzle elements to it. The story starts excellently with you quickly growing attached to the characters and with a real feeling of influence over the games direction. While playing this game you have to wonder how much money was spent to diversify the storyline. You find out in the latter episodes that actually none, none at all. TheThe walking dead is an interactive story with mild puzzle elements to it. The story starts excellently with you quickly growing attached to the characters and with a real feeling of influence over the games direction. While playing this game you have to wonder how much money was spent to diversify the storyline. You find out in the latter episodes that actually none, none at all. The choices are little more than an illusion. But as stories go this one is better than 90% of other games hence the high score. The latter episodes, however, i am marking down for a myriad of dissapointments. Expand
  9. Dec 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Perhaps the greatest accomplishment of the series is that it neither falls to the stereotype of zombie games (other than, of course, being a zombie game) nor reduces itself to the sheer point-and-click horror of many adventure games. It is worth mentioning that it could tailor itself a bit better to your choices, as many of the choices you decide to make end up resolving themselves to one plotline a little while down the road, but as far as immediate effects go you certainly can see some measure of fluctuation based on your decisions.

The gameplay is alright, and good as far as adventure games go, although you'll want to buy this game for the story. It's one of the few games you play a black guy in, so I find it a little iffy that the whole series begins with you in the back of a cop car, but I managed to ignore that. You're in this situation because you murdered someone - who or why you never quite find out - which is a characteristic that has some importance later on, but eventually you realize that murderers in a zombie apocalypse aren't that unique. You adopt, as far as that term can be defined given the circumstances, an abandoned young girl whose baby sitter had a bad case of the brain munchies and soon begin to become her father figure, with her real parents on a trip in Savannah. So you can pretty much predict the main conclusion themes of the story from there, but the ride over the next four episodes is still full of twists and turns that will keep you scrolling from the credits of one episode (they're laid out much like a TV miniseries) to the beginning of the next.

Zombie stories typically fall into one of three categories. The first is "none at all", where the story exists solely to convey limitless bloodshed, the second is hopelessly absurd, in which some massive cure-bomb reverts the entire planet, and the third is hopelessly nihilistic, which is what this game tends to fall under. Each great boon and potential end to your group's woes ends up being a death trap or a pipe dream, and as the hope fades, tensions grow, and from those tensions often come the most difficult choices. You'll face decisions from killing your friends to dismembering strangers (or yourself), and each of these has some notable consequences. You'll see how respectable society can literally eat itself alive when faced with death. You'll see some people who, upon losing everything, break and destroy everything, or some who attempt to make up for their past wrongs.

I won't say that the game is without its flaws. The voice-acting is sometimes a bit cheesy. The animations are sometimes choppy and there's a nasty issue with shadows that can cause framerate havoc on the most formidable of rigs. The gameplay is creative, if sometimes a bit drawn out. But in comparison, if I can say anything about The Walking Dead, its that it differentiates itself from the norm. It may not be the most fun zombie game I've played, but it certainly is one of the only ones that tells a good story and for that it was well worth the price of a Steam sale.
  10. Jan 27, 2013
    This was a good start to the "The Walking Dead" game series. I felt I should review Episode1/2 after giving Episode 3/4/5 awful ratings. The story starts off quite well, and builds tension and forges the mood quite well. The introduction of characters is well done, and sufficient depth in characters ia also created. Although not enough time was put into certain characters to make it soThis was a good start to the "The Walking Dead" game series. I felt I should review Episode1/2 after giving Episode 3/4/5 awful ratings. The story starts off quite well, and builds tension and forges the mood quite well. The introduction of characters is well done, and sufficient depth in characters ia also created. Although not enough time was put into certain characters to make it so that the player actually cares about them, certain effects still have some impact. The graphics style is also fairly unique, and similar to something like the Borderlands games, and to previous TellTale games.

Gameplay is fairly unique, and is nice style of "point-and-click", although the controls seem fairly sloppy and non-responsive at times. This episode was a good introduction to an average series.

It is quite disappointing that the later episodes completely drop the ball and were rushed, unpolished, and terribly disappointing, annoying mess.
  11. Apr 26, 2013
    Never getting to play The Walking Dead by Telltale games in 2012 and wasin't plaining on getting it in 2013. So one day I go on xbox live and I see theres a Spring Sale. I click on it to see the things on offer and I see this for free. A Walking Dead episode for free? I had to download this! Now I I'm hooked on Telltale's Walking dead series. Story is told quite well. The disions you makeNever getting to play The Walking Dead by Telltale games in 2012 and wasin't plaining on getting it in 2013. So one day I go on xbox live and I see theres a Spring Sale. I click on it to see the things on offer and I see this for free. A Walking Dead episode for free? I had to download this! Now I I'm hooked on Telltale's Walking dead series. Story is told quite well. The disions you make is what outcome you will get and will effect you in the another episodes. Trying to gain the trust of your fellow surviviors as the zombies are a small problem was the best thing about this tame, loved it more then any other good thing about this game. Gameplay can be slow but more often quite quick to make you think fast when you are making disions fast. The con I have is sometimes when I'm lookimg for something I feel like walking around in a circle (which made me bored). Overall great game and can't wait to get the episodes and to see how it all turns out in the end. The Walking Dead: Episode 1 A New Day 8.5/10. Expand
  12. Dec 30, 2013
    Great game and story. Would recommend even for people who are not into point and click games. I do wish you could skip through some of the dialogue. It would save a lot of time when you already spoke to a character for the second time. Small complaint but highly recommended and worth the buy.
  13. Feb 1, 2014
    This is my least favourite walking dead episode, as it is kind of slow until about 30 minutes before the end of the episode. However, it is forgivable, as the slowness is due to the characters needing to be introduced, and there are some important choices you can make towards the end of the episode.
  14. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 7 out of 10, Fun: 8 out of 10, Controls: 8 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 9 out of 10, Length: 8 out of 10, Re-play: 5 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10

I have a low re-play score on this game because when you re-play the game (which there is a strong desire to re-play this game to try other choices) the new different choices you make either 1) don't make much difference and/or 2) the way the main character and other characters act/re-act for non-mainstream choices is highly unrealistic. I really loved this game and would of given it a 9 for my over-all score, but the re-play that I was anxious to try was a real dud and took away from my original experience; thus giving the game an over-all score of 8.
  15. Apr 24, 2012
    It is difficult to classify this as a game. At best, it's more like an interactive movie with a few choices and some rudimentary puzzles and dialogue thrown in between scenes. However, as disappointed as I am with it's playability, I am impressed with the story so far and the characters. I'm also intrigued by the concepts that those choices that make in the game will not only haveIt is difficult to classify this as a game. At best, it's more like an interactive movie with a few choices and some rudimentary puzzles and dialogue thrown in between scenes. However, as disappointed as I am with it's playability, I am impressed with the story so far and the characters. I'm also intrigued by the concepts that those choices that make in the game will not only have impact on developments within the same episode, but other episodes to come.
    A single play-through took me about 3.5 hours, I'm debating a replay to make slightly different choices.
    A big minus for me comes from the control configuration screen - it's for configuring a console controller! Telltale, seriously - we aren't all console players!!!! Please put in a bit of effort for us PC gamers - we're pretty sick of sloppy ports and would, for once like a PC game that actually looks like it's been polished a little :0)
  16. Apr 25, 2012
    As a game, this would be horrible, but if you understand going in that this is just an interactive cartoon for mature audiences, you will appreciate it for what it is... if you're a fan of the comics or the TV series, at least. It lacks background information for someone who doesn't know this series. The plot is reasonably interesting, for the genre, and the dialogs are well acted andAs a game, this would be horrible, but if you understand going in that this is just an interactive cartoon for mature audiences, you will appreciate it for what it is... if you're a fan of the comics or the TV series, at least. It lacks background information for someone who doesn't know this series. The plot is reasonably interesting, for the genre, and the dialogs are well acted and credible. My main complaint is that the actions are timed. This is so much like a movie that you tend to sit back and watch, occasionally noticing that a reply is expected. It's very frustrating to have a timer that forces you to answer within a short amount of time. The game either needs more interaction to keep the player involved enough that a need for an action doesn't come as a surprise or it needs to patiently wait for the user to put down his coffee and pick up the keyboard or controller. As it is, the balance isn't right. Also, at the time of this review, the game is disappointingly unoptimized. Running on a top end system that runs the most demanding AAA games with maximum quality graphics at 1080p, this game frequently stalls on a frame for a few seconds, making it feel as if it's loading an overlay from a floppy disk. That's seriously amateurish, especially given the extreme simplicity of this game, from a technical perspective. I would recommend it for fans of the series, but only when it drops to half its current price. Expand
  17. May 1, 2012
    It's pretty fun but too short. Roughly 2 hours on Episode 1. Doesn't really play like a game, but rather like an interactive movie. I do like the characters and the acting, but some things are annoying like the simplicity of the game. It is almost impossible to ever fail or die. The 'puzzles' are supereasy and get rubbed in your face which is kind of a throwoff. Overall decent game but IIt's pretty fun but too short. Roughly 2 hours on Episode 1. Doesn't really play like a game, but rather like an interactive movie. I do like the characters and the acting, but some things are annoying like the simplicity of the game. It is almost impossible to ever fail or die. The 'puzzles' are supereasy and get rubbed in your face which is kind of a throwoff. Overall decent game but I hope for better interaction, much harder difficulty and longer playtime for the next episodes. Expand
  18. May 3, 2012
    TL;DR: If you don't like The Walking Dead or point and click adventures, you should stay away, or at least watch a YouTube playthrough. I've been a pretty big fan of The Walking Dead since the television series aired back in 2010. I distinctly remember having Walking Dead parties with college classmates on Sunday nights to tune in and watch the massacre. Since then I've read the comics upTL;DR: If you don't like The Walking Dead or point and click adventures, you should stay away, or at least watch a YouTube playthrough. I've been a pretty big fan of The Walking Dead since the television series aired back in 2010. I distinctly remember having Walking Dead parties with college classmates on Sunday nights to tune in and watch the massacre. Since then I've read the comics up until issue 90 and watch every single episode. Basically I felt obligated to get this game. My struggle was that I've never liked point and click, and I still don't think I ever will. The only exception that generates my excitement for this game is The Walking Dead name is on it. If you're not a fan of the show or comics, or even point and clicks, you should probably stay away. I finished the episode in about two hours. Those achievements popped up pretty often it seemed like, so I assumed it was going to be fairly short - it is. The reason I'm giving the game a 7/10 is because of it's technical obstacles like other reviewers have mentioned. Sometimes frames would jump, seem as if it was rendering a frame right then and there so obviously (on my pretty powerful rig). Expand
  19. May 31, 2012
    I'm not even sure I would call this a game - it's like one of those "choose your adventure" books. Huge Walking Dead fan here, so had to have this and am glad I got it. But I'm also an avid computer gamer (going on 25 years now) and if I referred this to my other gaming friends - those who aren't into the Walking Dead - as a "must have" game, they'd never trust my opinion again.

Think

Think the voice acting and art work is terrific. The limited character movement and generic choices in this point and click story are weak to average at best.

If you're a Walking Dead fan, you won't be disappointed. However, if you're a gamer looking for another zombie shoot 'em up like L4D2 or rpg/action game like Dead Island, I'd look elsewhere.
  20. Jun 14, 2012
    Good and interesting game but it has its drawbacks. Too short, the second episode won't soon, and finally i think that The Walking Dead(it's my opinion) is a parody for Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain. But this "parody" is good.
  21. Jun 29, 2012
    I discovered the walking dead comics after this game, who gave me the taste to try it (and usually i m not so much a comic book reader) or a zombie fan...
    The story is great so far, but there is still a big issue with keyboard configuration: playing on an azerty keyboard, you can't change keymapping and thus rely on arrow keys, which is frankly not good for a game on pc...
    Otherwise,
    Otherwise, very cool little game, i just hope they will fix this keyboard problem for the next episodes
  22. Dec 6, 2012
    I bought this game because I really liked the show, and the good thing about this game is the amazing story line. Some of the episodes in the game I found to be more interesting than those of the show. However I don't feel like your choices really changed the game, some of the situations had the same outcome no matter which option you chose. I won't lie though there are places where theI bought this game because I really liked the show, and the good thing about this game is the amazing story line. Some of the episodes in the game I found to be more interesting than those of the show. However I don't feel like your choices really changed the game, some of the situations had the same outcome no matter which option you chose. I won't lie though there are places where the things you choose change, but it is mostly to do with your group. At the end of the episode you will still end up in the same place and have achieved almost the same thing. This doesn't mean that the game isn't enjoyable over all, it's actually quite fun.

If you want a game that will give you lots of play time like COD or L4D2 however, I don't believe this is it, it is not created to be a full out slaughter of zombies. It's original though and if you like the show or have read the story, I would recommend playing it.
  23. Dec 28, 2012
    Great art and a great look throughout the game. Story is well written and most of the instructions are well done, few are lacking direction though. Sometimes the reaction doesn't fit what you thought it should have been...
    Sorry, but this "game" could have been done in flash and put on Kong for free. Not enough "meat" for me being a gamer, this is an interactive comic. However, I am using it to introduce my wife into games as she is a big Walking Dead fan.

I give it a 7 as it really is an overpriced interactive book, pick it up on sale.
  24. Dec 30, 2012
    First of all, THIS IS NOT A GAME.
    Second, the choices you make have only an extremely marginal impact on the development of the story.
    Even though, it is, indeed, a very interesting development in story telling.
    INTERACTIVE ANIMATION, I would say.
  25. Apr 27, 2012
    Not a bad game by any means, but not even a masterpiece; the story is too much clichè and you'll find yourself into quite a lot of deja vu's which are typical of the setting, like people getting scared that one of your companions may be a zombie, shelling out from a zombie horde, hearing radio reports, zombie relatives, axes, headshots and such; yet it does a good job makingNot a bad game by any means, but not even a masterpiece; the story is too much clichè and you'll find yourself into quite a lot of deja vu's which are typical of the setting, like people getting scared that one of your companions may be a zombie, shelling out from a zombie horde, hearing radio reports, zombie relatives, axes, headshots and such; yet it does a good job making the proper setting and giving a nice background of the characters.
    I'm not really impressed technical wise; the graphics grows on you fastly enough, but the setting still feels too cartoony to deliver the proper impact, there is no way to change the camera angle and the interface is way too simplicistic and it's unlikely that it will be able to hold some deeper gameplay other than simple QTE or minor inventory puzzles.
    More than once I actually wanted to be able to control my weaponry directly, but I do reckon this was not the focus of the game.
    Sadly what hurts the game the most for me is the lack of actual freedom; in a game that prides himself for the decisions that will alter your gameplay experience the game definitely falls short in that department; there are just 5 nodes that will lead to a different cutscene and just one single choice actually leads to a different plot development that can be carried to the next episodes and the rest is just some line of dialogue that you can be free to pick at random.
    True freedom should mean allowing me to have the chance to try the plans I have in my mind to save my companions, to be able to get rid of a zombie not just by killing but also by making him unharmful, to be able to leave a conversation when I see that there is something that seems more pressing at the same moment.
    All of this would require a much more refined engine that sadly a company that comes from adventure games still isn't able to provide, yet this early experiment was worth a try and I'm hopeful that it will lead to a more free and meaningful experience in the following episodes.
  26. May 4, 2012
    I guess I am biased while talking about this because I freaking LOVE the comics. The show is good too, (but nothing near is awesome as the comics) , The game was good fun, though I feel it was kind of annoying to play. The click and point mechanic gets tiresome very quickly and kind of takes me out of the moment. If you go back and click on the same spot more than once, he just saysI guess I am biased while talking about this because I freaking LOVE the comics. The show is good too, (but nothing near is awesome as the comics) , The game was good fun, though I feel it was kind of annoying to play. The click and point mechanic gets tiresome very quickly and kind of takes me out of the moment. If you go back and click on the same spot more than once, he just says the same thing over and over and you can't stop the dialog once it starts. Definitely would have preferred a more open world, but I realize the developer wants a very scripted event to happen, which is fine I guess, just not what I would necessarily want with a video game. The biggest problem for me with this game, was it was extremely laggy. I don't see anyone else commenting about the lag so maybe it was just me, but with a game like this I would think it would be more optimized, it not like it is a game that will crush my system. get rid of the lag, and I would give this game a higher score, probably a 7. Expand
  27. May 6, 2012
    Simple and enjoyable, yet not worth the price of admission so far - I hope it gets better. I have never read the comics but I enjoy a good zombie game. I have always based my overall approval of a game based on how much time I get out of it compared to the price -- 1 hour of game play = $1 regardless of genre. As an example playing Skyrim I am way over 200 hours, and can say I got my valueSimple and enjoyable, yet not worth the price of admission so far - I hope it gets better. I have never read the comics but I enjoy a good zombie game. I have always based my overall approval of a game based on how much time I get out of it compared to the price -- 1 hour of game play = $1 regardless of genre. As an example playing Skyrim I am way over 200 hours, and can say I got my value for my dollar. COD, I don't play multiplayer and finish the single compaign in 10 hours (not worth the price for me). With Walking Dead Ep1. I finished the first episode in about 2 hours. If this is the same across all episodes then I would only get 10 hours... and I paid about $26 on Steam. Thus not worth the price for me. Not having read the comics the story line felt like it skipped or went through too fast. There were several scenes that felt disconnected or forced through the story. I did like the characters however and I believe the voice actors did a fine job. I look forward to the future episodes and hope the developers do more, I enjoyed the puzzles and choices presented. Expand
  28. May 24, 2012
    I gave it a lower score not because of the game play but for the game play time. It took about 2 hours to finish. There are supposed to be a total of five episodes. If each of the episodes have a play time of 2 hours, that would be $125.00 for a ten hour game. That is a little steep by anyone's standards I think. Yes it was an interesting game, and the artwork very well done. You reallyI gave it a lower score not because of the game play but for the game play time. It took about 2 hours to finish. There are supposed to be a total of five episodes. If each of the episodes have a play time of 2 hours, that would be $125.00 for a ten hour game. That is a little steep by anyone's standards I think. Yes it was an interesting game, and the artwork very well done. You really had the feel of playing a moving graphic novel. The point and click thing does get a little hairy when your in the heat of the moment but it was all good. Easy to get used to. But I think I will wait till the whole series comes out and then buy the packaged deal. I think the complete series should be no more the $50, and that is still a little pricey for 10 hours of play. Expand
  29. Jun 8, 2013
    Graphic is very good, story is excellent, but this is not the game, this is an interactive movie, and nothing more. After the any other game you could said i spend many hours playing it, but for this game is watching it!
  30. Aug 5, 2013
    This episode help you to learn more about Lee, Clementine and the rest. This episode is great but a bit long. There's not a lot of action and way more talking.
  31. Oct 23, 2013
    Don't go into this expecting game-play. It isn't really a game, just an interactive story. Like most, it is somewhat lacking in freedom simply because they have to make different outcomes for each that branch off into more and more. Many times if you make a choice that doesn't fit the story then someone else makes that choice for you. Also most of the "tough decisions" are arbitraryDon't go into this expecting game-play. It isn't really a game, just an interactive story. Like most, it is somewhat lacking in freedom simply because they have to make different outcomes for each that branch off into more and more. Many times if you make a choice that doesn't fit the story then someone else makes that choice for you. Also most of the "tough decisions" are arbitrary choices of which person to save. (Always out of 2 people) So far there have been no choices where it is possible to save multiple people or anything like that. That being said, the characters are well developed and choices do make a difference in character development.

The graphics are a huge negative. The living drawing type graphics are neat, but many smaller things are only low res instead of the higher resolution everything else has. Furthermore, no vertical sync! That is just a huge slap in the face to PC users. Constant screen tearing simply because the developer decided to do a straight console port with no vertical sync is ridiculous.

Overall a fun way to experience a story. Unfortunately that is undermined by lack of control over the story itself and constant screen tearing from no v-sync. Still worth buying on sale though.
  32. May 25, 2012
    The game can be some what fun in respect to the comic book and movie events with only less then 2 hours of gaming. Then on to what the game has to offer, lacks in the forced story line and the character control. well that just doesn't cut it. The original story line can not be changed no matter what decision is made the game still contnues in the direction it was forced into, also anyThe game can be some what fun in respect to the comic book and movie events with only less then 2 hours of gaming. Then on to what the game has to offer, lacks in the forced story line and the character control. well that just doesn't cut it. The original story line can not be changed no matter what decision is made the game still contnues in the direction it was forced into, also any time there is a puzzle to be solved any idea of interacting to solve it with a locial decision never seem to be the key to get it to work. The usage of items in the game that you would never think of using for a solution to puzzles is off the wall decision making.I hope the next episode is better then the first. I gave it a 4 because it did get less then 2 hrs of game play out of me and $20.00 out of my pocket. Expand
  33. Jun 2, 2012
    The guy fall allt the time, it´s so anoying. And a big grafic problem, it shutters at every scene change and my macbookpro is more hot than with game like Alana Wake or Diablo 3.
  34. Jun 11, 2012
    Episode 1 has some linear parts, where essentially no matter what choice you make in the game- you will end up at the same outcome later. Game Survival is fully centered around quicktime events, where pushing the correct button quickly and multiple times is key. This makes game-play centered more around fast reflexes instead of logical thinking and planning. Unfortunately the playerEpisode 1 has some linear parts, where essentially no matter what choice you make in the game- you will end up at the same outcome later. Game Survival is fully centered around quicktime events, where pushing the correct button quickly and multiple times is key. This makes game-play centered more around fast reflexes instead of logical thinking and planning. Unfortunately the player does not get to keep weapons in the game, nor choose which weapons they want to use against enemies. The fighting sequences are fully scripted using a particular weapon (picked up just prior to battle) and seem intended for immediate use. Due to the rather linear style of game-play, I cannot recommend this as a true RPG, more like a scripted movie with quick-time events thrown in. A game that feels very similar to this one is Heavy Rain for the PS3. Since the game is the first-part of a five-part episodic series, the game length of this episode is rather short. I completed episode 1 in approximately 40 minutes. Timely releases of subsequent episodes appears to be problematic for the publisher. Episode 1 was released on April 24th, 2012. When The Walking Dead game was being advertised prior to launch, Telltales Entertainment promised releases for new episodes "every month", but since the launch of episode 1 they have inexplicably postponed releasing episode 2. Now their official stance on releasing new episodes has been modified on their website as "approximately every month". As of this writing it is June 11th, and episode 2 has still not been released which means it has been approximately two months since the last episode has been released. Potential customers should therefor, expect delays if they wish to purchase the Season Pass option. Overall, I feel the game is an average entry into what is essentially a CGI movie with scripted sequences and quicktime events. Heavy Rain, by comparison, is more polished in practically every area to include graphics, sound, characters, and plot. You are also dealing with untimely releases of subsequent episodes- even at the rate of 1 month per episode you are looking forward to 40 minutes of new game-play every month, which most people will agree is ridiculous. At face value, I would usually score an average game like this one with an average score of 6; but the untimely releases of subsequent episodes further degrades the appeal of the series to an even lower-average-score of 5. Expand
  35. Jul 17, 2012
    You remember that old game from the 1980's -- Dragon's Lair? the one where you made a choice and based on that choice you lived or died? That's exactly what Walking Dead is like. The game is a top-heavy scripted cartoon. Especially bothersome, the game doesn't require much in the way of intelligence to even play nor is it real challenging (unless you consider random illogical puzzlesYou remember that old game from the 1980's -- Dragon's Lair? the one where you made a choice and based on that choice you lived or died? That's exactly what Walking Dead is like. The game is a top-heavy scripted cartoon. Especially bothersome, the game doesn't require much in the way of intelligence to even play nor is it real challenging (unless you consider random illogical puzzles challenging). If you like games like Left 4 Dead, you're not gonna like this one very much......The controls of the game are totally confusing. You will find yourself dying in this cartoon not because you don't know what to do but rather because you do not know how to do it with the controls! You learn after a while, but it still upsetting that the controls are counter-intuitive. Perhaps they should have included a small tutorial that would get a player familiar with the controls.

Speaking of controls, moving around is equally junky. When you move the character around (via 3rd person) you can not move them around just anyway you like. The game severely limits movement and because of this, your perspective of the location is very limited. Coming off a game like Left For Dead, where observing what is going on in all directions is extremely vital to survival, this will drive you absolutely crazy.

I like a good story driven game as much as the next person, but that is not here. I enjoyed Neil Manke's They Hunger much more. It had a cool scripted story-line but wasn't restrictive in game play at all.

But with the Scripted Nature of this game, you will spend more time watching scripted cut-scene dialogues than actually Doing Anything. When you actually get to do something, it feels restrained- like a Choose Your Own Adventure Book. You find out it doesn't matter in any case because the story is only going in one direction (unlike a choose your own adventure book)!

I give the game props for a unique look. that's why it scored a 5, The rest of this game is solid 3.
    I saw some reviews on here where people said, don't rate it low if you don't like this type of game....HUH? That's like saying "don't rate the game if you don't like the game."

I got this game on sale, I'd wait for it to be five bucks before you buy it if you want to try it. It's seriously not worth more than that.
  36. Jan 1, 2013
    I'll start of by saying that I do love the story line and I found the gameplay to be fun (It's more of an interactive story like Heavy Rain for PS3), but after a second play through it is easy to see that the game is actually quite linear.

I experienced multiple issues with this game that just made it frustrating to play through at times. Game saves would stop working properly after completing the first episode, and if I tried to continue from that saved file I would only be left with a black screen and no progress towards loading the game.

The mouse also acts up a lot. It seems that the further I got into the game the more stubborn the response is and I actually found myself rushing the last chapter just so I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore.

In the end, I think the game warrants 1 play through at least. For zombie lovers out there the story will keep you on the edge of your seats. But as long as the same issues plague this game, replaying it will only prove to be more frustrating than entertaining. Telltale Games hasn't really taken any action towards fixing these issues though so I won't be holding my breath.
  37. Feb 11, 2013
    Not bad but very disappointing, I agree with many others who are stating that this game was falsely advertised. It is very linear, most of the time I couldn't get into the story or connect with any characters. It is very much like a bad B movie. Many events and actions in the game were so cliche and painfully retarded I was hoping all of the characters would simply die because I found INot bad but very disappointing, I agree with many others who are stating that this game was falsely advertised. It is very linear, most of the time I couldn't get into the story or connect with any characters. It is very much like a bad B movie. Many events and actions in the game were so cliche and painfully retarded I was hoping all of the characters would simply die because I found I couldn't care less. The audio is great.
    The Graphics are a simplified artistic style. Like it or don't like it, they could be less black-outlined for my tastes.
    The animations and nuances of characters and movements are overall great but sometimes ridiculous.

Point and click games are rather boring, "Fahrenheit" aka "Indigo Prophecy" is a good example of a successful point and click game. This game however tailors to people who love the "characters-are-so-stupid" horror film type movies. If you hate horror films because they lack any rhyme or reason then you'll hate this game as well... as did I.
  38. Nov 6, 2013
    The immersion and tension are well-designed and well-done. The issue I have with this game is that it is exceedingly linear, in almost direct contrast to the claims of allowing the player to direct their own experience. The decisions are few and far between, and almost entirely binary, you can choose from among two, often absurdly limiting choices; and for large stretches of the game youThe immersion and tension are well-designed and well-done. The issue I have with this game is that it is exceedingly linear, in almost direct contrast to the claims of allowing the player to direct their own experience. The decisions are few and far between, and almost entirely binary, you can choose from among two, often absurdly limiting choices; and for large stretches of the game you do nothing while the character bumbles through situations, trips and falls, or otherwise ignores potential actions that would be obvious. The voice acting is decent, the animation is excellent, but the linear play and lack of control, not to mention the poor interface, detract significantly from the game. Expand
  39. Apr 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A "Survival" puzzle game where next to all choices you make have no real impact besides tiny different scenes and tries to make up for its flaws by getting the player emotionally involved, doing so poorly due to all the audio-cuts, freezing problems and stacks upon stacks of illogical situations most which can be thanked for by this attempt of a comic adaptation that no doubt went through being ported.

The developers recognized this flaw which is why they sacrificed the amount of power and influence the player had in order to make more emotional scenes, be it having to choose between two strangers every five minutes just to be yelled at the one who survived or just kill someone close that got infected.

Next to all lines are being re-used in all scenarios, no matter your decision and to top that off, there are some very redundant plot-holes being formed from poor design for example: You see a brick outside the fence which you can easily grab with your hand, but even so the character insists on it being out of reach. A logical person would remember back to another room where he stumbled upon a walking stick that could be used to add the amount of "reach" necessary to grab the brick which would be 2 inches but no. It still could not be interacted with and would not until later reveal itself to be a sequence in the events much, MUCH later on, leaving players left confused, thinking they've missed something.

I did enjoy the nice change with that of an interactive comic movie but unless they do a serious turn-over in the next episodes WHICH WILL BE RELEASED MONTHLY
  40. Jul 26, 2012
    Not great. It IS an interactive story rather than a full-fledged action/puzzle game, but that's not the issue I have with it. I do wish it offered more of a branching story line, if story is where it's trying to shine -- most of the conversation decisions seem to be purely cosmetic. (They're also stressful to make; there's usually barely enough time to read them all before the timer runsNot great. It IS an interactive story rather than a full-fledged action/puzzle game, but that's not the issue I have with it. I do wish it offered more of a branching story line, if story is where it's trying to shine -- most of the conversation decisions seem to be purely cosmetic. (They're also stressful to make; there's usually barely enough time to read them all before the timer runs out.) But more importantly, the story it does lead you through is just so generic. It must have hit every single zombie apocalypse bingo square in the first half hour. That's what killed it for me. If there's no gameplay to speak of and no exploration of the game's world allowed, the story better be gripping. It wasn't; it never made me care. I'll grant that the characters were decently written for the most part, and I hope they will grow in complexity in future episodes.

On top of the lackluster story, the gameplay aspects are terribly implemented. It might play better on console, but the PC controls are atrocious, character movement felt cumbersome and stunted, and the fixed camera/scenery drove me batty, since it frequently conceals walkable paths. The player is also artificially held back from progressing at multiple points. Some of the puzzles you're presented with have obvious solutions, but the game won't give you the tools to solve them until you've passed some other check point. (The brick thing was particularly annoying, as was the pharmacy door.) Some other puzzles were also just insulting to the characters themselves. I won't go into detail, but Carly -- presumably at least passing familiar with technology, being a reporter, not to mention perfectly capable of firing a handgun -- couldn't figure out the issue with the radio? Twice? Really, now?

As for the the visual style, I'm not a fan, though I'll grant that's partly a matter of personal taste. The line work looked sloppy to me, the colours too muddy -- Clementine's face was a good example of this. What's not a matter of personal taste are the graphics glitches, particular the pixelated shadows all over the place. I did play this on an Mac via Steam, however, so it's possible it runs better on Windows.
  41. Aug 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never played a Telltale game before for several reasons, but I thought I'd give "The Walking Dead" a try because I like the series and the setting.
    To sum it up shortly: I'm not satisfied and here's why: First, this is not an adventure as advertised, it's an interactive movie/comic. The puzzles are scarce and ridiculously easy, most of the game consists of cutscenes and quick-time events. On the plus side, I think the dialogue system is good although a little hasty maybe.
    Second, the decisions you can make are very limited and most have close no effect on the path the story takes (contrary to what has been promised). Most of the time you will not only end up with exactly the same results in the end but all choices are of the "A or B" type. [spoilers] Example: When you have to chose if you want to save Shawn or Kenny's kid it will always turn out the same. The kid is save, Shawn is dead and Herschel is throwing you off his farm. You're not able to solve this situation as a normal person would do if somebody's stuck beneath a tractor: getting on the damn thing and drive it backwards.[/spoilers]
    Third, it is way too short for the amount of money you pay for it. 25$ for a 2 hour game (I hardly see any replay value) is daylight robbery. Maybe 40$ for all 5 episodes with all in all 10 hours of gameplay would've been adequate.
    Forth, the controls are pretty bad. Although you have to use WASD to walk you can't look around as the view is always limited to a certain area. The good old fashioned "click mouse to make player to there" way would've been a lot better.
    Fifth, the engine cause a lot of stutters during fast scene changes. This can be very annoying.
    I'm giving it a 4 out of 10, mainly because I think the story/dialogues and the graphics are done quite well, but overall it's a disappointment and certainly not worth the money. Too bad...
  42. Sep 18, 2012
    It's more like watching a game than playing one.
    Story, artwork and characters fine.
    Game play - poor. Dialogue options - poor. 1. Far too little freedom of movement. Not a bit too little ENORMOUSLY too little. The point and click system just doesn't cut it. 2. Dialogue options let you choose between one vapid answer and the other. Obvious smart answers are usually conveniently left
    It's more like watching a game than playing one.
    Story, artwork and characters fine.
    Game play - poor. Dialogue options - poor.

2. Dialogue options let you choose between one vapid answer and the other. Obvious smart answers are usually conveniently left out.
    3. Controls are awkward.

The game would have been enormously superior on a standard FPS system, but it would still need to add at least a passing shot at incisive dialogue options.
  43. Oct 21, 2012
    The story and the art of this game are great, and so are many of the interactions, but after having played seasons 1-4 I can tell you with certainty that most of the major decisions are decided for you. Certain characters will die regardless of how you try to save them. This is disappointing as the game heralds "adapting to your choices" when in reality practically ALL of your choices areThe story and the art of this game are great, and so are many of the interactions, but after having played seasons 1-4 I can tell you with certainty that most of the major decisions are decided for you. Certain characters will die regardless of how you try to save them. This is disappointing as the game heralds "adapting to your choices" when in reality practically ALL of your choices are superficial and have no bearing on how the game actually plays out.

Having watched seasons 1-4 of the walking dead by Myndflame on Youtube, I made a concerted effort to pick the OPPOSITE choices. Yet, in spite of this, my game has been practically identical save for a few superficial differences.

Another major problem with the game is that MOST of it is cut scene. In the places that you are given control of your character, generally, you are stuck with ONE option to solve the puzzles or progress to the next scene. Often times you'll run into invisible walls, whether it be in the environment or in the choices the game will allow you to make. Too many times I was greeted with Lee telling me "This is probably not a good idea right now..." So what? I thought this game was about making choices?

Although I find the game, the world, and the story fascinating I am disenfranchised with this promise of "choice". When you compare it to other great games like Fallout or Mass Effect the game falls short on its promise. The story doesn't really change. The results are almost identical, and what you do doesn't really matter.
  44. Apr 25, 2012
    In my opinion the game is falsely marketed. The choices you are presented with are forced and out of place. It is not tailored to you like it claims, it simply puts a ridiculous situation in front of you and forces you to literally pick left or right. The movement of the characters is extremely limited and geared completely towards consoles. The fact that it shows you an XBOX controller inIn my opinion the game is falsely marketed. The choices you are presented with are forced and out of place. It is not tailored to you like it claims, it simply puts a ridiculous situation in front of you and forces you to literally pick left or right. The movement of the characters is extremely limited and geared completely towards consoles. The fact that it shows you an XBOX controller in the menu even though you are on a PC tells me that they didn't give two sh*ts about PC gamers when they ported it. The puzzles are random and illogical. It takes more brute force than thought when it comes to solving them. All in all I wouldn't recommend this purchase. It's a crap game built around a great show and comic book. It's a forced story line, with absolutely no openness at all. I know movie/tv/book based games are known to be bad, but this one takes the cake on that badge. The only reason I give it a three is because of the name. Expand
  45. May 17, 2012
    With the reviews I was hoping for A LOT better. You don't really get to make the choices you want to or at least I wanted too, everything is forced generally one direction. Story is mediocre. This isn't a game, its a bunch of cut-scenes.
  46. Nov 16, 2012
    The biggest part of this game are the decisions, which at first seem fun, but if you play through different routes you'll realize your decisions don't make much of a difference. The action scenes seem to come out of nowhere, and sometimes you only realize it isn't a cut scene after it's too late. But even if you do realize it in time Lee doesn't seem to be in a hurry to not get eaten.The biggest part of this game are the decisions, which at first seem fun, but if you play through different routes you'll realize your decisions don't make much of a difference. The action scenes seem to come out of nowhere, and sometimes you only realize it isn't a cut scene after it's too late. But even if you do realize it in time Lee doesn't seem to be in a hurry to not get eaten. Though even if you are bad at that kind of action sequence there aren't enough to really ruin your gaming experience.

To sum up, the most advertised part of this game is that it's tailored to your decisions. But it's really not, there's a very strict order in which everything has to be done. And most importantly, usually whatever you decide you have to stay behind 100%, for the most part the game doesn't give you the option to regret any of your decisions. Which is kind of annoying when someone gets pissed off at you for a decision you made while on a timer.

Overall, I give it a 3.5/10.
  47. Apr 30, 2012
    This is Telltale's Jurassic Park all over again, only on a different setting.

I'm also impressed by the suspicious amount of 10's around here. With Jurassic Park some Telltale employees confesses they were writing their own critics giving all 10's on this site. I wouldn't be surprised it such was the case again. Anyway, they have done away with the insane amount of QTE's from Jurassic
    This is Telltale's Jurassic Park all over again, only on a different setting.

Anyway, they have done away with the insane amount of QTE's from Jurassic Park, which is good. But a pretty poor story and very bad execution make for a game you will probably regret buying.
  48. Nov 11, 2012
    Complete waste of money. Nothing like cartoonish terrible graphics and the same outcomes every time. No matter what you choose it's the same outcomes the only thing that changes is the words people say. Unless you care for Story Time, don't bother.
  49. DDK
    Dec 31, 2012
    How anyone could rate this game higher than a 3 is beyond my meagre ability to comprehend. It's incredibly buggy on all platforms. It has high requirements despite having poor quality graphics. The characters in it are beyond moronic. The drama is forced to the point of complete farce. And you have zero real choice in anything that happens despite the wondrous claims of Telltale (a tellingHow anyone could rate this game higher than a 3 is beyond my meagre ability to comprehend. It's incredibly buggy on all platforms. It has high requirements despite having poor quality graphics. The characters in it are beyond moronic. The drama is forced to the point of complete farce. And you have zero real choice in anything that happens despite the wondrous claims of Telltale (a telling name if there was any). The people who gave this Indie GotY were either paid off or smoking crack. Expand
  50. May 15, 2013
    I just cant believe all those 7s 8s and nines...this is a very poor game, but i would still like and recommend this game if it had a valid choice system and intuiative game play...

take out the enthusiasm and there you have nothing...

try heavyrain...
  51. Apr 25, 2012
    Story is forced and not as open ended as it makes out. Graphics, suck and the character falls down way way too many times. Does not allow full control, may as well made it into a cartoon for all the movement and control you get.
  52. Jun 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible. When I heard that Tell Tale Games was making it I knew it would suck. I had hoped when they announced that there would be a video game adaptation, that they would finally give me the zombie game that gamer fans of the genre were looking for. I see Tell Tale's strategy of making games that mimic a "Choose your own adventure", Cutscene styling as lazy game making. I had hoped for something like the DAY Z mod in ARMA 2. Why did I buy it??..simple, it was called "The Walking Dead". Now ofcourse I knew before purchasing it , this game was going to be boring to play, however i had hoped it would atleast have some type of immersion. NONE. Whenever anyone points this out about the game, either a Tell Tale employee or FanBoy states "You dont think that smashing a zombie's brains in with a hammer is immersion"? "You dont think that choosing what happens is immersion enough"?....My answer is NO, not the way the game is styled. All of your decisions are forced. Any action sequences were made so that a child could complete them. This game is more like pressing "Q" or "E" so that you can continue watching a crappy movie/comic book video. And "Choices" ...really...."Choices"...the "S" on the end of the word "Choice" implies more than ONE...and when it comes to this game they are not lying...in fact you get TWO. "Save Carly or Nerd boy Doug", "Save Hershel's Son or the idiot kid".(Which i hope that kid dies). And not even all the choices are logical. Someone mentioned a brick small enough to fit through the gate at the pharmacy....or even the fact that you could use the Cane to grab it....not an option. It would not even let you pick the cane up. The one and only puzzling puzzle was the TV Remote. and that was just lame. Aside from the games integrity, how about the critics....I call BS on the many positive reviews of this game, however i see this alot in gaming. Lets just put it this way...I have come to this site to read reviews on just about every game before buying...until now I have never reviewed a game until being disgusted by the lack truth when it comes to the reviews of this game. I realize that this is only my opinion. I own every zombie/game/mod so naturally, I bought this as well. One more thing, where is episode two? I was told before buying that the game's episodes were to be released monthly. Maybe if they spent less time making you tube videos, patting themselves on the backs for the horrible game they have made, and more time making the game...there wouldnt be alot of angry customers out there. Usually the response to this statemeny by a TT agent or FanBoy is "Do you want a crap episode now or a great one later"? ..my response is I dont really care and TT doesnt either, they already got my money. I'll definitely save my money on the next set of episodes. Think Ill just watch someone playing those on You Tube. Which will get the story told to me for free. Expand
  53. Aug 9, 2012
    Good story and animation, but if you are playing in a PC the controls are horrible and you cannot go where you want. Feels like PC was an after thought. Too rigid in the ability to roam, feels so scripted and controlled.
  54. Feb 15, 2014
    I could not play this game. I have an Azerty keyboard and the games controls cannot be reassigned. I tried playing it anyway (the arrow keys also work for movement) but constantly having to move my hand from arrow keys to number keys to Q and E was tiresome. I do not understand how a company can decide to have hardwired controls in 2013. Very unfortunate, because I liked the original artI could not play this game. I have an Azerty keyboard and the games controls cannot be reassigned. I tried playing it anyway (the arrow keys also work for movement) but constantly having to move my hand from arrow keys to number keys to Q and E was tiresome. I do not understand how a company can decide to have hardwired controls in 2013. Very unfortunate, because I liked the original art style a lot. Expand
  55. Jun 13, 2012
    As expected with Telltale games; their own devs have been padding the scores. The game sucks; & the episodic continuance is a fancy way to get us to pay to develop their game. Vaporware.
  56. Jul 20, 2012
    What the hell they call this a game? Yeah nothing more exciting than clicking bubbles that make you do one action. Interactive movies are pointless, I would rather just watch a movie and not have the irritating task of pressing one button. Dialog choices never give the intended result it seems and are usually a black or white issue. Overall quality of the game is okay but the entire time IWhat the hell they call this a game? Yeah nothing more exciting than clicking bubbles that make you do one action. Interactive movies are pointless, I would rather just watch a movie and not have the irritating task of pressing one button. Dialog choices never give the intended result it seems and are usually a black or white issue. Overall quality of the game is okay but the entire time I played this game I didn't feel like it's a game. If you want a zombie game go with something like Dead Island or Left 4 Dead because you're actually playing a game. 0/10 for not being a game but an interactive movie. I'm upset I bought the game because I can go on the internet and find a flash game that gives more entertainment than this crap. Come to think about it, this game is exactly like an adventure game you would find on a flash game site and does not deserve to be a pay to play game especially since they release the entire game in a series of episodes instead of giving you the entire thing at once. Expand
  57. Sep 19, 2012
    This is a point and click adventure focused on dialogue. It has a cheesy mechanic where the time clicks down and if you are too slow in choosing what you want to say, the listener will think you are lying. The game see black and white truths and doesn't understand complexity. In a game that is all about dialogue, this is just painful to play.
  58. Oct 31, 2012
    This game is basically tries to sell on a big lie, that you can impact the story.
    And not only do they lie to you in the marketing, they also lie to you when you play the game.
    The game pretends that you have a lot of big choices but its easy to see that you cannot make any impact. If you replay the choices you will see black on white that the result is always the same. I cant believe

I cant believe this got such a high rating. Most likely it have been doped by the developer.
    If I ever see a game made by telltale ever again I will stay miles away.
  59. Nov 29, 2012
    I hope you enjoy having your saves rendered unplayable because that's what this game is all about. Your hard earned progress is likely to be wiped by a faulty save system when you try to resume playing. And guess what? YOU CAN'T SKIP DIALOGUE OR CUTSCENES. Unbearable. Such a great game but so terribly implemented.
  60. Dec 27, 2012
    I have no idea where these high ratings come from.
    I have no idea where these high ratings come from.
    As another Walking Dead property this might be okay, but as the game Telltale advertises it's a zero. The main "game" aspect is all about your choices and the effect they have on the story and world at large. The problem is that this notion of choice is a lie. Even when you have a choice, which isn't that often as many outcomes are set in stone, the effects are superficial at best. If Telltale can't really offer a game that is greatly affected by your in game choices they shouldn't advertise it as such. Considering "choice" is the main or lone mechanic in what makes this a game it fails pretty miserably.

If you're interested in another Walking Dead story I hear you can just watch playthroughs on YouTube. Trust me, with the lack of variation you won't miss anything this way.
  61. Aug 11, 2013
    I liked it: the story is well built, the graphic is OK and the game play is enjoyable.
    But the game is full of bugs, a lot of players are experiencing problems in playing the game and i'm one of them.
    It deletes my saves every time and there's no solution to this bug. (One of the hundred unsolved bugs of this game)
    It isn't worth the price i paid!

1. Jul 8, 2012
    Great both standalone and as a gateway to a larger series. Let's hope it all pans out. [July 2012, p.76]
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    A slow-burn character study, some quick thinking and a constant air of menace make for a gripping start to a new adventure. [July 2012, p.68]
  3. Jun 28, 2012
    Rich atmosphere compensates for poor gameplay mechanics of The Walking Dead.