8.5

1. Dec 20, 2013
    This game is too overrated. Too many technical issues that Telltale or their hardcore fans don't address and the characters aren't well written. How much do you really know about Clementine? Plus, the choices you make don't make too much of a different. This Season of the game wasn't too good. Started off pretty slow.
  2. Dec 20, 2013
    I bought this game blindly because I enjoyed The Walking Dead so much. This game is boring and extremely short (it is probably only 45 minutes long, I am not kidding). There are a lot of action sequences, which are good, but the extremely small amount of writing in the game is pretty dull and not very good. The characters are pretty boring, character actions and reactions oftentimes do not make any sense. Even Clementine is much blander than in the first season.

I am quite disappointed and don't like this game at all. One can only hope that it improves in the next episodes. I would recommend to anyone who is interested in the game to wait until the episodes play out and see if it actually improves, right now the game is running solely on the success of the first season with absolutely nothing to add. The spirit that made the first season great is completely gone.

It seems to me as if Telltale is only interested in on cashing in on the success of the first season and nothing more. Hopefully this is not the case and the season improves drastically.
  3. Jan 20, 2014
    The season 1 loose ends are cut off too rapidly and too quickly to make you really care. Other than that, Telltale gives you an episode which is used to introduce the story. That raises the question, whether that would've been something the DLC was supposed to do.
    Choices, once again, do not seem to be making the big difference as you'd think, as you're mainly just progressing through a
    set out story, in which you mostly only adjust details.
    However, the rise of several possible main characters shows potential. Let's just hope Telltale doesn't get all wrapped up in the hype the fanboys seem to have caused, as it's likely to throw them out of balance.
  4. Jul 15, 2014
    Honestly, I wish it could have been good. I enjoyed the first season, but this one just wasn't good. It feels like it was forced, somehow. I really think that they were just trying to kill off any remaining characters from season one (Besides Clementine), just for the sake of killing them. I get that they were trying to make sure we knew that not everyone was just a good person after the apocalypse. The writing in this one was terrible.

A majority of the interactions with other characters were shallow, although there were a few exceptions. There was no real explanation for why they went to North Carolina in the first place. I only gave it a 4/10 because frankly, the gameplay was still great, just as it had been in the first season. I haven't played the other episodes, but I doubt that anything could be worse than this. Like I said earlier, the gameplay itself was impeccable, possibly even better than before at some points. For a story based game like this though, it's just not good enough. I'm fairly certain that a majority of the people who rated it a perfect score haven't played Season 1.

They could have made playing as Clementine enjoyable, but they did not. 4/10, solely because of the gameplay.

1. Feb 16, 2014
    A gripping opener that suggests TWD will zombie-dodge tricky second season syndrome. [March 2014, p.75]
  2. Feb 14, 2014
    TellTale has been using and refining the same engine over multiple games and there are still some really awful bugs. Not game breaking by any means, but when non-interactive character models appear, stock still, in the middle of a room it breaks my focus on the story
  3. Feb 12, 2014
    Impossible to judge in isolation, but definitely a good start. [March 2014, p.73]