8.4

1. Sep 7, 2013
    Okay, to start with, I played this game four times and still didn't get bored. And why's that? Probably because The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a damn great game. And here's why:

The storyline: complex, multi-threaded, non-linear, dark and really well-written. The story is a continuation of events which happened in the first part of The Witcher. There are several (more than one)
    main threads which will develop during gameplay and some side-threads which are actually fun to take part in. The story isn't too complicated, though. Even without reading books from “The Witcher” series and playing the first part of the game, we can quite easily understand what is going on around us.
    Graphics. Well, is there a need to say a lot about graphics in Witcher 2? I believe that most people will agree entirely the world in this game is gorgeous. There are many details, and the landscapes are so beautiful and so close-to-being-real that I could stare at them for hours. Every leaf on the tree above us and every blade of grass below us is purely visible.
    Alchemy. I really like how this game demand some tactical skills from a player. We cannot use potions in mid-fight or heal ourselves instantly. We have to foresee when the next battle will be, how many opponents we will be facing and plan our strategy beforehand. And the potions are definitely a part of the preparations before a fight. We have several potions and sword oils to chose from, everyone of them giving us a different temporary bonus, be it increased damage or faster regeneration.
    Combat. Fighting is also tactical in this game. But this means not only that we cannot throw ourselves in a dozen of monsters in the beginning of the game and hope that a miracle will happen and we'll survive. The Witcher 2 makes us use everything we have available: bombs, traps, signs (there are five of them, every one working in a different way, and every one which can make us win a fight if we use them properly) and swords of course. Sometimes player has to jump from one enemy to another or to run from an enemy to prevent him from making a final blow.

The are certainly flaws and some of them are rather annoying (like the pointing system during fights and people slamming the doors in front of out face) but they can be easily coped with and I didn't really care about them during my gameplays. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages so much, that the flaws can barely be seen and they fade when we see the gorgeous graphics and get lost in a dark, absorbing story.
  2. Oct 26, 2013
    There is no such thing as a perfect game, but Witcher 2:Enchanted Edition is really close to perfection. The first Witcher was a good game, but now it looks silly when compared to Witcher 2. In Witcher 2, combat is challenging and awesome, AI is clever, you are actually motivated to play on higher difficulties (new weapons, armours and finishers), multiple endings, choices that actually matter, interesting gameplay, skill tree etc. The only downsides I can think of is somehow messy inventory management (apparently, it was even worse before EE) and one stupid (and the worst) side quest. That's it. You can buy it for a reasonable price of 20 dollars on GOG, so there is no reason not to buy it. Expand
  3. Sep 12, 2013
    The Witcher 2 is the best RPG I played all generation. It has fantastic combat and exploration. The narrative is one of the best I have ever experienced and the characters are all interesting and enjoyable to interact with.

The graphics on PC are simply phenomenal and are easily some of the best graphics on PC. Many times in the game I had to just stop and take it all in. Such a
    beautiful game. Maxed out on my PC it actually looks as good as some "next gen" games.

Geralt of Rivia is simply a badass. One of the coolest characters in a game in quite some time.

I could go on and on about this game, but I don't have a lot of time right now. Suffice to say that it is in my top 5 best games of the generation and has left me hungering for more. I absolutely can't wait for The Witcher 3.
  4. Nov 9, 2013
    Best RPG I have played in a while. Incredibly engaging, beautifully crafted and really well planned out, this game is staying on my PC's hard drive for over a year and most games I have haven't even made it that long. I never got bored of Geralt of Rivia and his adventures.

The story of this game is really mature and incredibly engaging. Throughout the game I have made the choices that
    I would make in real life if I would be put up under same situations and that got me really engaged in the story. Plot twists really make sense and keep you engaged. I have completed almost all quests including side quests and I am still playing the game. :)

Graphics-wise Witcher 2 beats most RPG Games. I still can't believe it is a game from 2011, the graphics like that are only getting improved because of next gen consoles. Beautiful areas such as Ruins in Flotsam are really good to look at, just stand and enjoy the view.

Fighting is some of the best fighting I have seen. Geralt is a true sword master, but if you're not careful you will get him killed easily. You have to plan out and think about the fights. Different characters such as normal soldiers are easy to kill, but then you get more armored knights or even bosses which will kick your butt if you just jump in and fight.

The only problem was the lack of tutorial. I had to find out the controls of the game until half-way of the story for me to actually remember them. Some things I still cannot use after over a year of playing this game. The accents for English aren't the best either. Polish language is so much better in the sense of acting, because of the character and realism.

Overall 10 out of 10, really recommended for any RPG fans. Amazing story, graphics, fighting mechanism and really well executed overall.
  5. Dec 11, 2013
    This is by far the best RPG I have ever played. The graphics are amazing, the combat very satisfying (I only played the enhanced edition), the story is so deep and mature, its an amazing game and if you are a fan os RPG's, you should not only buy this game, but you should also play The Witcher 1 the get the best experience possible
  6. Dec 20, 2013
    This game can be difficult to start out on, however it's in depth gameplay, character development and rich storytelling make it my favorite RPG. It is a traditional RPG that takes the traditional style and does it very well. Let me repeat the story is amazing, and will have you waiting for the 3rd installment destined for the new gen consoles. If you stick to this game, filled with great combat, great writing and a unique and mysterious protagonist you will come to love it. It's an exemplum of what an RPG should be. Expand
  7. Apr 8, 2014
    I absolutely dejected the game after playing it for initial few hours probably because it was my first RPG experience. Eventually had to play the game because i had no other game left in my game library.
    And I'll accept that I totally enjoyed it. The story and its complexity leaves you spell bound. Every character has been so intricately designed and their voice acting is perfect. The
    more you explore the more it amazes you.
    Most game of this era have realistic graphics and it is no exception.
    So finally all those gamers like me who don't have much experience of the RPGs do try this game for sure.
    The only flaw in this game is its combat system which makes it pretty hard to kill multiple enemies.
  8. Feb 19, 2014
    This has the best cinematic graphics I have ever witnessed! It's a shame that an i7 can't handle the game properly even in low specs, but after playing a few arena games just to try it out, the combat system improved A LOT from the first Witcher to now, and the attacks are more juicy.

Although I didn't experience the story, I strongly recommend the game.
  9. Mar 20, 2014
    Best gaming experience of my life.
    Poor default controls especially for signs and unable to change them without exit.
    Game like this deserves some farming for items...
    Gauntlets,boots and trousers...you can play the entire game without changing them(there is no point exept for insane difficulty).
    You can buy amazing armor and swords from vendors(the diagram crafting concept is wasted)

Signs can use tooltips describing their effect, duration, damage etc.
  10. Apr 4, 2014
    My long written review just vanished in a server error, so I'll make it short. This game does everything right. Story - deep and thought provoking Combat - engaging, fun and versatile Characters - believable and interesting World - beautiful, atmospheric and detailed Skill system - balanced and varied In my opinion easily the best game in years and on par with great RPGs such as Gothic and Morrowind.
    With this game on hand I have great expectations for (and of) CD Project Red and their upcoming titles.

1. Oct 21, 2011