8.4

1. May 31, 2011
    Despite some minor flaws and disappointing epilogue TW2 is a very good game. Challenging combat system, intriguing story, no black-and-white world, interesting characters, great dialogues, no-linear story, absolutely amazing animations and stunning graphics. That's more than enough to give it very good score. I read some reviews and it seems most people who are rating it low are too lazy to read manual. Expand
  2. May 31, 2011
    This is probably the best RPG out in 2011 along with Skyrim, forget that horrible dragon age 2 and go buy this game. Graphics: One of the best looking game, this is kind of game you should expect on a pc, not a console port..high detailed textures, beautiful models, animations, effects, landscapes and so on
    Gameplay: Great improvement on witcher 1 (combat, skills tree, etc), some minor
    issues with inventory or alchemy but i'm sure they'll fix them with incoming patches
    Sound: Great work on voices, cool sound effects, i think witcher 1 ost was better but this one is still great
  3. May 31, 2011
    Unless you hate clever story-telling, smart dialogues, or the English language, avoid this game like the plague! First of all, this game's story is atrocious: it evolves around pseudo-political plot points: why make the main plot about politics in a non-established universe that the game insists on not explaining? I mean we are two games in this series, and we still wonder: WHAT THE HELL IS A WITCHER? Obvious failure. Story: 0/10. The graphics are very pretty, even on a lesser machine like mine. Landscapes are beautiful, and the lighting effects are probably some of the best looking ever. 10/10. Music is boring, and uninspired, the sound-scape is terrible and amateurish 1/10. Now the game-play, let's focus on the broken...ohhh so broken combat system. It sucks...did I tell you It sucks? because it does...even those who "love" this game hate the combat system. The problem with the system is it doesnt know it's if "actionny" "strategical" or even older style "r-p-g-esque", It's a mix, a cross-bread, and in the end, it fails at being any or all of the above mentioned 3 systems. You will end up abusing the shield spell ( the only one needed ) or will end up running around your opponents in a very comedic and cartoony fashion waiting for your meter to recharge. gameplay 2/10. I give it a bonus point for the Morally grey decisions, those are fun and were a trademark of the first game. All and all, the game feels like an Industrial/EBM German robot-vampire love song and doesnt deserve anything more than the 4/10 I give it. Expand
  4. Mor
    May 31, 2011
    One of the Best Games for PC this year.Its definitely one of the best games i have ever played. Complex and mature story, fantastic fighting system, beautiful graphics .this game simply have it all. Game of the!!!!! year for me .
  5. May 31, 2011
    Best RPG of the last years. Incredible graphics, deep systems and gameplay. No handholding for noobs and Bioware fans. A must buy in thetruest sense of the world. Support great indie devs.
  6. May 31, 2011
    No fantasy RPG this year will come close to what this game achieves. It is pretty, challenging, mature and fun and on top of that it has the best graphics on a PC game right now. It is an accomplishment that will be remembered for years to come.
  7. May 31, 2011
    I have no choice giving a so poor note considering the very poor note i think it deserve technologically talking.
    I was waiting theis game for a long time, having been a witcher 1 fan, but im very disapointed. The game is good looking, and story is well wrten but that about all. Graphicly I think it deserve a 7/10 compared to the actual standarts, but where it really sucks its about the
    way that the heroe moves and how it have to deal very fast with monsters that he dont have what it takes to defeat them.

It the very first time so many good critics for an unfinished game, and honestly I would have prefered to say so much better things about this sequel. For 2007-2009 it would have been in standarts, not in 2011-2012
  8. Jun 3, 2011
    8.5 / 10 The Witcher 2 is a strange mix. It does some things really well and some things really poorly. The good outweighs the bad though. The Good: 1) Best graphics of any RPG. Well designed environments. The world/setting is immersive and feels very believable. 2) Many of your decisions have meaningful consequences. Sometimes picking a bad dialog option actually leads to your immediate death. That's not something you see very often. 3) Strong story, though sometimes convoluted. Much better than most RPGs. 4) Interesting, believable characters. All have unique personalities. Most of the voice acting is good. The Bad: 1) Many aspects of the UI are poorly designed. It feels designed for gamepads rather than a mouse and keyboard. Inventory is definitely designed for gamepad navigation. Can't unequip/equip items when trading with NPCs. Targeting system is very clumsy. Minimap is not fixed to a direction and constantly rotates. World map is useless. Item descriptions slowly scroll instead of having a scroll bar. Can't interact with objects while being attacked. Many more. 2) Dialog response options are not verbatim. Not knowing what you will say means you'll sometimes pick options that you didn't intend, and that kills immersion. 3) False dialog options. What I mean by this is, sometimes you are given two dialog options, and picking either one will give the same response. I really hate when RPGs do this. 4) Lack of interactivity. Most objects can't be interacted with. Many NPCs have generic responses and won't talk to you. I noticed about halfway through that generic NPCs have randomly generated names, and will change if you reload. 5) Somewhat linear areas. Could be worse, but it's definitely not a free, open world. Expand
  9. Jun 2, 2011
    It isn't a game without flaws. It looks like relased too early, it is short, also the controls are like on conversion from a console (you can't pick up anything using mouse cursor...). But all those flaws are countered by the story that makes you go deep into the world and relases only once you have finished the game...
    Also other positive things: free DLC, (compare it to all those todays
    games that make you paying twice the original price for DLC) no annoying copy protection... and so I can continue ;) Expand
  10. Jun 3, 2011
    CD Projekt's work is, once again, amazing - and not simply just the game, their after-sale/release support and service is top notch, fixing issues quickly and giving customers an excellent gaming experience. The Witcher 2 is beautiful, not just visually but for once we have a game that doesn't feel the need to blatantly state EVERY SINGLE LITTLE PLOT DETAIL IN CAPS. This is perhaps most prominent in the beginning; they let you piece what is going on bit by bit, without treating you like a moronic twelve year old. This truly is for a mature audience - and I love it. Expand
  11. Jun 3, 2011
    I'm not really an RPG fan. Dragon age was a good game, but I just could'nt bring myself to finish it. I bought Oblivion, couldn't get into it. Fallout 3 and New Vegas....didn't finish....you get the drift. Then I read some user reviews of TW2 and decided to give it a go.....I literally think it made me change my mind about RPG's. What a fantastic game. Not only did I finish this Gem, I immediately bought its predecessor The Witcher enhanced Edition and am currently greatly enjoying that game as well.....These guys know how to make games people, give both a try if your on the fence....great stuff! Expand
  12. Jun 5, 2011
    M_Stannard - you are pathetic and ridiculous. If you want to promote your favorite game DA2 do it well. OK? But not in this way.
    The Witcher 2 is a very, very good game, and your attacks on it are childish. I like DA2, but unfortunately, TW2 is better.
    And a few words about the game The Witcher2. I really liked The Witcher1. Loading was a bit annoying, but the story and graphics in 2007
    really make a good impression. It was fun and interesting.
    But The Witcher2 is ... well ... amazing! WOW! Graphics, story, dialogue, music, and combat. This game is so interesting and exciting, it's hard for me to stop playing.Minor bugs do not interfere. My wife says that he wants to play in it. She says it's fun and beautiful game. I admit that my favorite games such as DA: Oh, Oblivion and Fable1 seem awfully boring now. Geralt is a medieval Wolverine. :) - killing machine, but not thoughtless. He is very human and has a sarcastic sense of humor. The Witcher2 this is a new era of RPGs. I downloaded the latest patch (1.2) for the game and the new DCL. Oh. It is a fantastic entertainment. Soon comes the Xbox 360 version of the Exclusive. I recommend to all who love novelty and challenge - because it is a difficult game. For me 10/10.
  13. Jun 5, 2011
    It will be a brief review of the game. It is simply great.
    I'm a big fan of DA: O. (I'll still) I saw the first review TW2. ("Wonderful, Beautiful, RPG of the Year") thought that the game is overrated. I have read different opinions and I watched videos on You Tube. And this game seemed to me more and more interesting. In the end I saw this game on my friend's PC. Oh, Jesus! Cake with
    cream:) This game is great.
    I did not think that RPGs could be so mature and realistic. I bought!
    My PC is old and I play on the lowest settings. And it still looks beautiful.
    She has patch 1.2, so I had no big problems. I have a NVidia card, Pentium Dual-Core 2.5GHz and 4GB RAM. I recommend to download is about new drivers for Nvidia:)
  14. Jun 5, 2011
    Nothing is perfect, but this game is cutting it close.
    From the first steps in this game you are sucked in, it breaths atmosphere and with its mature rating it does feel as medieval times. Unlike this other famous RPG developer, choices do have a big impact on the story and open/close quests and story paths further along the game what gives it a big replay value as well. There is no
    (obvious) content recycling either.
    The game is a bit difficult at the start and would benefit a bit more from tutorials using the magic signs.
    The game has a few small flaws, like the effort it takes to drink a simple potion, and the lack of a junk tab in the inventory, and the facial expressions are not that good. But these are some minor annoyances.
    The best indication for The Witcher 2 being a good game is that you want more once you finished the game.
    And as an extra, there is no DRM and free DLC.
    Can't wait for an expansion :-)
  15. Jun 5, 2011
    If you enjoyed The Witcher (1), The Witcher 2 will be an absolutely thrilling experience.

The Gameplay: While the combat system in the series has never been my personal favorite, it has been massively improved from the original game. The controls in general were much easier to handle, and the use of signs and fast/strong sword style was much easier. The skill trees were balanced and made
    much more sense than its predecessor. If you play the game on easy mode, it will seem very hack-and-slash like. Playing on normal balances out the "hack and slash" and the need for signs and potions in combat. For a genuine challenge, the difficult setting makes every combat experience strategic and epic. The Graphics/Settings:

Stunning. Each map/chapter is completely unique, and much larger than it may initially appear. You can see that a lot of work went into the design. There is so much to explore. It's not an open-world game like Oblivion or Fallout:New Vegas. However, for being enclosed, it sure does have a lot to offer. The characters look very realistic... to the point where I can't even bare to look at DA2's anymore without feeling they are either way cartoony or outdated. Also, The Witcher 2 isn't afraid to show you some T&A, or even some good ol' bump and grind. Now DA2 looks *really* silly in that regard.
    The Characters:
    You play as Geralt in the series, but not without your own flavor of his reactions/personality. He is always somewhat sarcastic, but you can be the "good/fair" guy or the "do this or I'll beat you senseless" guy. Also, using the Axii sign in conversation (think Obi Wan's "These are not the droids you are looking for") makes it a nice middle-road option to get straight to the point/your objective. The dialogue can also be quite humorous. The non-playable characters are well drawn out and believable, with many facets to their person other than the limited persona we see all too often. The voice acting is incredible.

The Story:

This is the best part of the game. There are multiple storylines to follow, so multiple play-throughs will be necessary to get the entire experience. What you do/the decisions you make can have a huge effect on what will come next, where you will be, and the quests that will be available. Regardless of which path you take, this game is so engrossing you'll easily lose track of time as you play.

Comparison to DA2... (for the curious)

What can I say? At first, I thought DA2 was OK -- Dragon Age gone Mass Effect 2. Experiencing the graphics, characters, and storyline from Witcher 2 makes me feel like I wasted my money/time playing DA2. However, I personally prefer a more mature game with a preset appearance/character because I'm not looking to create an identity within a game. For gamers looking for more customization of their character -- DA2 is better, but not nearly as good as DA:O.
  16. Jun 5, 2011
    This is a fantastic game. There is quite a few different ways to play the game that can change outcomes later in the story. I love games like this. It keeps it interesting. The graphics are outstanding and you have to have a pretty decent system to play it. Its got a great story line.
    My only complaint that I have about the game, was it was easy to sometimes get lost in the side
    stories/quests which some people like to do. Now dont get me wrong, I do like to go out and explore and do other things to get rewarded, but it took away from the main story. If some of the side quests had a direct relationship to the story line, I think that could have had a better effect. But other than that its a fantastic game, and highly recommend it. Expand
  17. Jun 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion, the best rpg game of all time and presumably GOTY 2011 winner, CDProject Red took what is best from the Sapkowski's sage, combined it with great graphics , created a beautiful story that is deeply rooted in the Witcher's universe, the Witcher 1 was great, the Witcher 2 is much better, however not perfect, but let's be honest, have you seen a game without errors? I haven't.. The demanding combat system, user-friendly crafting, beautiful sceneries and figures, all of that induce to the above score . and don't listen to the haters all around there, support CDPR, buy the Witcher 2, experience the adventure of your life and allow them to create another astonishing part of this game. Expand
  18. Jun 6, 2011
    CD Projekt drew a line in the sand with this masterpiece, and the RPG world will never be the same again. The graphics and game play are everything they said it would be and beyond anything I imagined possible. This game makes sweet love to your system. Stunning graphics and an innovative, almost alien, game engine puts this game on the pantheon with the other great RPGs of the last decade, the provocative, engaging, and mature storyline, puts it head and shoulders above them. Gamers are growing up, I am 28 now, it's great to have a game developer growing with us. Thank you CD Projekt. Expand
  19. Jun 6, 2011
    I would like to make a detailed review about why I give this game 10. Well, first off, 0.5 point of this note is out of charity for a game that clearly doesn't deserve a 0. So my real score is 9.5. Let me explain why.

Graphics-wise, TW2 is breathtaking. It's beautiful. But it's also as polished as you can get. I currently play with a rig below the minimal requirements. And it's still
    fluid and beautiful. The environments are diverse, hardly repetitive and chances are you'll be drooling at some of them. Furthermore, the environments actually feel lived in, with peasants, merchants and whatnot minding their own business, talking to each other at day, sleeping in their home at night, gathering plants in the forest...Some of these background dialogues are worth a good laugh.
    Which brings me to the character writing : Every single npc you'll talk to could be an actual person. They all have their goal, modest or ambitious, and their personality. The moral choices you'll be faced with are also very "grey", and deciding which "path" is the good one is tricky.
    Because you can choose a path. At a certain point, you'll be faced with a choice to which you'll have to react quickly. And this choice will set you on one of two storylines, each very distinct from the other.
    The storie*s* themselves are well-written, with a great share of politics, moral and feelings involved. At some points it may loose its pace, but it's always here in the background, pushing you forward. Although the ending is disappointing compared to the rest of the game. But it's in no way something that should stop you from buying the game.

tl;dr : TW2's story, environments and characters are good at worst and great almost all the time.

Now here comes the spicy bit : the combat. TW2's combat will greet you with a punch in the gut and a kick in the face. While the prologue does great in terms of setting the background and kicking off the story, it fails to introduce you properly to its numerous gameplay mechanics. Reading the manual during the installation is not recommended. It's necessary.
    Not that the mechanics are bad ! The combat requires speed and wit, with extra emphasis on the second. There's many way to defeat your opponents : your swords (one of humans, one for monsters) will be your bread and butter, but you'll gain a significant edge by using signs (simple but effective spells), setting traps, throwing bombs and daggers, drinking potions beforehand and getting in and out of the fray with a most useful roll.
    So don't be afraid or ashamed to start on easy. Once you've figured out most of the mechanics and find te combat dull, scale up. tl;dr : The combat is hard but interesting and fun.

Mind you, the game is not devoid of flaws. The UI is discreet and serviceable, but could be improved. Sometimes the combat isn't as responsive as it should. As I said there's a few points where the story loose it's pace, and the epilogue feels too short. But :
    1- CDProjekt is listening and release patches after patches of bug fixes, additional polish, quick improvements and free (if meager) DLCs to boot.
    2- The game is modable and chances are some of your problems may be fixed by downloading a few addons (most of them are available at thewitchernexus )

So there you go folks. TW2's a great rpg, one of the best I played. And it's DRM free too ! :P
  20. Jun 7, 2011
    This is the best RPG years without dispute. I spent the day of release the game at least 8 hours. The plot is super simple, convenient control of the RPG element to the highest level. Poles have done their best.
  21. Jun 8, 2011
    The Witcher 2 offers breathtaking visuals, an engaging story, and memorable RPG mechanics.

The story and atmosphere of The Witcher 2 is unlike one you will find in any other game.The characters give a very real down to earth impression that makes you think about every action you take and whose perspective to see things from. Will you side with the underhanded non-human "martyrs" or the
    ruthless, overzealous imperial commandos? Will you bow to the Warmongering Monarch or the embrace of anarchy?

The atmosphere of The Witcher 2 is that of a classic middle-earth, with the bonus of a refreshing variety of monsters somewhat unlike those found in other games. Rejoice - there are no Orcs in this game!
    Even the main character Geralt, The Witcher himself, is a being not found in the World of Dragon Age, Lord of The Rings, or Warcraft. You play a man, once human, who was stripped of his humanity through rigorous procedure using alchemy to enhance the normal human physiology. All for one purpose: to help slay the evil beasts that roam the world.

The Witcher 2 doesn't even have the three classic archetypes. Yes you can specialize in Magic, yes you can specialize in Fighting with Big Swords, but an Archer specialization tree is missing.... Replaced by the Alchemy specialization tree, which helps The Witcher utilize powerful bombs and guzzle down powerful but dangerous alchemical potions that are so potent as to poison even The Witcher - a being born from alchemy.

The Witcher makes these potions himself using the game's extended crafting system, which is coincidentally used for making the most powerful weapons, armors, bombs, and potions found in the game. Potions are made using the usually plentiful ingredients (mostly everything you pick up can be used to craft another item), while the best Armor is crafted by finding one-time only drops from boss creatures.

There is another reason to buy The Witcher 2 besides the game world and mechanics themselves: every DLC is free. Yep, thats right, no 5 bucks for a bit of extra content on release. The First DLC was free to anyone who registered the game. Since release, 2 patches have been released to remedy the minor bugs and to fix issues with performance, and over half a dozen DLCs have been released, all free.
  22. Jun 10, 2011
    Wow the graphics are incredible the best i have ever seen i played ultra spec the detail the complexity of every characters are deep the dialogues are bla bla bla bla bla bla i can go on and on and on whit the quality of this game ITS BY FAR THE BEST RPG IVE PLAYED BRAVO!!!!!! if you like rpg and you got a killer rig you got to try that
  23. Jun 10, 2011
    This is not only the best RPG I have ever played but my all time favorite game now. Been playing all night and just wow. Incredibly fast, fun, tactful combat system. That is just so unbelievably smooth it just feels great. Mixing sorcery with sword play, dodging, blocking. Huge improvement from the first. The storyline is just so engaging and well written. LOL @ Bioware fanboys rating this down. Expect a lot more 0s in the next days. This game is everything DA2 should have been but failed. Suck it down. Expand
  24. Jun 11, 2011
    Truly a great game. It has all the aspects of a memorable RPG. Deep character development, several plot-altering choices, amazing graphics, etc. I'm looking forward to any future titles CD Projekt will put out.
  25. Jun 11, 2011
    This is the game of the year. I played it for long hours and I don't regret it. It's beautiful, the graphic is amazing, all characters have very deep build with hided problems, attributes. Don't wait! Buy it!
  26. Jun 13, 2011
    I write this, having just finished the game but a moment ago.
    I would give this game a 9.7
    Visuals: The vistas have but one description that can suit them: epic. You will visit some masterfully crafted environments, and I had several moments where I had to stop and just, gaze. The graphics are on par with the best the system can throw at you.
    Audio: The voices are well done, though the
    developer is Polish the game avoids the "poor voice over" syndrome so commonly found in ports. The voices are strong enough that they feel natural and at no point interfere with immersion.
    Story: There are some meaningful themes that run across the series, and often there is no right, only the lesser of two evils. Though I do not know how much my choices truly changed the outcome, the story is still one of the best of all the games I have ever played. This game is a saga of the White Wolf, and it made me think.
    Between the story, and the audiovisual component, this game puts CDProject Red on par with Bioware as master story craftsmen. Gameplay: Once you get used to the controls, the fighting is seamless enough, though this is where the .3 was subtracted from the game as artifacts of the eventual port to 360 are present in the PC version. The mouse feels "off" as best I can describe it, too fast when selecting but too slow a camera if you adjust for the selection. The interface lacks a few basic things, like quickload. The game doesn't do as good a job as I'd have liked of explaining some of the more complex components, it was not until the third act that I figured out how to use mutagens. The mouse feels underused, and there is a sense that the game is designed with a gamepad in mind but not to such an extent as other similar ports. The developers seem to have at least tried to stay true to the PC roots.
    There is a reason that my cons contribute but 3% of the score. When the game is taken as a whole, the massive amount done right far outweighs the little annoyances. If you like deep, meaningful RPGs, this game is a godsend.
    I'm now going to go design my own dice poker board.
  27. Jun 14, 2011
    It's a great game! It is really beautiful and epic. As I read the "opinion"of someone with the nick stefanakisgr I think people are really pathetic. What's wrong with you?
    Score 0 - 4 can give a troll, or some stupid kid. And this is not a game for children, and not for the stupid. I do not know why someone may write such nonsense about this game. You do not like this game, play something
    else, but do not lie. I appreciate the game on 9.3. It is not perfect, but almost.

Combat is interesting and complex. It requires tactical thinking.
    If anyone expects to be waving his sword to the left and right without any sense it will be quickly killed. This game is different than most RPGs. And thanks God!
    Graphics - is a masterpiece. A beautiful and detailed.
    Music - top notch!
    History addictive. The main character truly unique.
    A little too short Act 3, but it is hoped that this introduction to TW3:)
    An illusion of open space? And what is better? Open space and great boredom, or slightly smaller but with a fascinating story?
    Plastic characters, or complex characters?
    Your choice.
  28. Jun 15, 2011
    Don't wish to write a lengthy review, just want to say I love this game: the world, the characters, the story even the combat. It has some flaws sure, but they are minor and don't take away from enjoying the game overall. I also like the company, their support for their games, keep it up CDPR!
  29. Jun 15, 2011
    Didn't play the 1st. I admit it was the graphics who convinced me to play it. I have an xbox controller for Windows so I was ready for some action.
    But there is a big problem with the combat system. On normal difficulty its a challenge. The boss fights were are so frustrating. You inevitably have to restart them a few times. I normally love a challenging game because the reward is so much
    sweeter. But there is a difference between between challenging and cruel.
    I stopped playing after 7-8 hours. I rage quit and un-installed. Perhaps another time I'll have the calmness to play it.
  30. Jun 17, 2011
    This definitely is Game of the Year 2011, at least in RPG genere . game is simply amazing, best cRPG in this decade :-) it i sgood - you will be surprised it is still available on game market.
  31. Jun 18, 2011
    I never write of games, but I had to after reading some the garbage "zero" score reviews. This is simply one of the best RPGs I have ever played! If you love amazing graphics and great story lines stop reading and go buy this! GOTY easily for any PC gamer and RPG fan.
  32. Jun 19, 2011
    A Master Piece, describing well the universe of Andrzej Sapkowski's works. Dynamic combats, great writing, great graphics, great songs added to the atmosphere, easy and friendly crafting and a Story well "polished" :p. I see more than a trilogy for this game.
  33. Jun 21, 2011
    Game of the year 2011. Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings is a highwater mark in gaming. CD Projekt Red has set a new gold standard in interactive entertainment.
  34. Jun 22, 2011
    If you are looking for a twee RPG to comfort you after a nights bedwetting then this is certainly not for you. For those of sterner disposition, Bang on.
  35. Jun 23, 2011
    How should I say it? The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings has an excellent story line. The graphics are good, and the character development is phenomenal. However the game seems a bit incomplete. After about 2 hours of playing the game, the one thing that bothered me most was the combat system. The Witcher 2 went for an Assassin's Creed style of Combat. The only problem is that instead of dancing with beautiful combat movements finishing enemy after enemy in awesome combos, you are 70% of the time dodging, waiting, and running around until your energy to replenises for your next spell. This totally kills the flow of combat. After playing Batman: Arkham Asylum, the Witcher 2 seems like a major step down in terms of combat. Another thing that bothers me is the Tutorial. Sure it might be fine for veterans of the game, but I can help but mourn for any newcomers who start off utterly confused with the mechanics and interface from the very start. The Witcher 2 has simply a very steep learning curve. 10/10 Storyline, Graphics. 5/10 for Combat. Expand
  36. Jun 26, 2011
    An absolute masterpiece no more no less. Not as demanding as people claim it is if your system is semi-decent. A must buy for ANYONE who claims to enjoy RPGs.
  37. Jun 26, 2011
    This is, by far, the most adaptive RPG that I have ever played. As a self-proclaimed Bioware aficionado, that's saying something. TW2 bends itself to make it *your* game. As a case in point, during the second chapter of the game you can end up in two entirely different cities. While some of the quests do overlap, they are few and far between. The sides could be compared to Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card. While the two stories narrate the same conflict, they are from different points of view. Not mention the graphics. Oh, they are absolutely glorious. I'm pulling a 2600K and a 6950 and I still can't go to the UberSampling. The game, no matter what level of hardware you have, looks absolutely astounding, and a special shout-out to the gorgeous weather effects that are positively stunning. The only true problems I had with the game have been fixed through updates and patches. And... Semi-Spoiler Alert!

The ending is the most lackluster that I've ever played in an RPG comparable to the build-up it had, which is why I knocked off a point. Considering that this only the last two hours or so of the game, it's definitely excusable. Plus, The Witcher 3 with imported saves is inevitable.
  38. Jun 28, 2011
    Awesome RPG from polish developers! Great dialogs, characters, graphics, music and etc.
    The Witcher 2 - Game of the Year 2011 and I love this game! :)
  39. Jun 28, 2011
    I have to give this game definitely worth a look. The story, voice acting, and graphics are all amazing. While character development could have been deeper and the combat is a bit hack and slash, the positives out-weight those negatives. I find myself already looking forward to 3 to see how the story further develops. Definitely worth the money.
  40. Aug 23, 2011
    Awesome game. I thing it is the best games in this year, story in the game is great, npc and characters also, you should play this games. CDP RED make good sequel TW1.
  41. Jul 1, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an amazing game. Thoroughly captivating story, great combat, and a healthy dose of mature content. The Witcher series is the best RPG I have ever played and it is definitely 2011's game of the year. This game provides the player with the ability to decide how they want the story to progressive and it serves up an amazing amount of eye candy. The visual effects in this game are unmatched by any other game on the market currently. The only reason I rate this game 9/10 is because it currently suffers from bugs that are being patched. The Witcher 2 is the best $50 you will spend in 2011. Expand
  42. Jul 3, 2011
    This could have been an amazing game but unfortunately has been released as the scourge of modern PC RPGs - a dumbed down console conversion. There are some truly outstanding qualities here, a complex adult storyline, top notch voice acting and good graphics to name but a few. However to anyone who is a fan of PC games and has been since the days before cross platform releases became the norm to boost the developer's revenue, this game epitomises all that is wrong with PC gaming today. The clunky and at times poorly responsive controls, the invisible walls, the simplistic yet awful 'Quick-Time Events', the simple inventory, the context sensitive ('push 'x' to win') cursor and character progression system to name but a few. Even from the start when the box to redefine your keys is tacked on like an afterthought to the out-of-game menu and then subsequently the QTEs fail as the on screen directions cannot tell you which key to press at the critical moment you are left with no doubt that you are playing a game aimed at the distinctly less cerebral console market. None of these factors in themselves is enough to ruin the game entirely but their sum total and the overall 'feel' suffers badly to the point where I really didn't feel immersed anywhere near as much as the first Witcher. In fact by the end I was almost beyond caring which is the polar opposite of how a decent RPG should draw you in and engage you.
    It is a strange direction for CD Projekt to have taken. On the one hand the story is wonderfully complex, the characters are deep and engaging, we have to take some difficult decisions and see through their consequences and there is enough sex and violence to be certain this is aimed at a mature audience. On the other a number of the gameplay aspects have been simplified and console convert glitches left in to annoy those who thought this was going to be a 'proper' PC game. If you're a recent console convert, cannot relate at all to the things I'm talking about or just want a good-looking, deep RPG which, don't get me wrong, has an awful lot going for it, then jump right in and have a blast. If you were disappointed by Far Cry 2, loved Call of Pripyat and don't want your precious memories of The Witcher tarnished - still give it a go; just wait a while for the price to drop and enjoy it for what it is.
  43. Jul 4, 2011
    Played, just finished 1st time so time to score that game. Requirements&Graphic: It works very good - no visible issues for me(but have not checked frame rate) when played on CoreDuo E4300 1.8@3.2GHz, GTX275, 4GB RAM 800MHz, SATA2 HDD, SATA DVD. Latest available BIOSes and drivers. Screen resolution 1650x1080 TW2 patched v1.2 and set on ULTRA predefined graphic settings but ubersampling off and texture size 1 lever down from predefined on ultra.
    To use all option you really need top graphic card and fast QDR proc. but if your PC struggles there is a wide range of parameters you can modify and play on old machines comfortably.
    Quality? It is already stunning with my old PC. Locations are great and polished. Millions of details.
    Probably one of the best if not the best looking game in last years. Uff, it happened that I stopped many times just to watch the river, trees, dwarf city... - it is simple 10/10 here. Instalation&Stability: I hated TW1 for crashing and was slightly afraid of TW2 as heard that it happened that it crashed. TW1 almost killed me with loading times even between small locations. Nothing like that with TW". No waiting for new location being loaded at all. 1 crash across whole game. Instalation process was fine (but quite long). It found patch 1.2 already and added it automatically. No DRM stupid protection - CDP - I love that! SO again 10/10 Gameplay I loved TW1. A little complained about act s3&4. Understood pacing with controls but not fan of that. About TW2? Long introduction act but I needed it to fully get use to new controls. Steering is different - In my opinion more arcade like but I found better then in TW1 It is closer to consoles. Fantastic middle of the game. Slightly to short for me : last act. But it is only visible because previous acts are great. Many people mentioned here already about non-linear scenario, no bad-or-good-guy decisions. Yes, all of this It is really complicated, you do thing you find as good ones and consequences are bad somwhere else later. And it is for adults for sure. Not because of nudity but real violence, language and racism. But it is there not because of that the game is for adults so it should be there. It is there as the world which is there is like that - just f.. juicy.
    I liked all of this. I do not usually play RPG games many times. I am afraid I'got stuck with this one for a little longer.
    And additional opinion : My wife does not play RPG games at all.Too long and boring for her. When I played TW2 she spend a lot of time watching it and she says now that she would like to try this one! But after I finish TW2 second time ,maybe third.
    Gameplay 9.99/10. my VERDICT 10/10 and GOTY so far. Not only cRPG. GOTY. A few words to guys who put 0-5 marks: Guys you must be really jealous as you competitor CDP has made better game then you!!! Starting from 6(or 7) probably you have people who played that game and are not involved in dirty games (to lower copmpetitiors scores). Look at the scores - you can see hundreds 9-10 marks, very few in the middle and just bunch of idiotic 0,1,2. I really appreciate achievments of big players on the market but since now I know that I always have to lower your games scores and increase small producers' ones. Just because you play dirty. This game is already sth like Baldurs Gate or Planetscape Torment. Must have for RPG fan.
  44. Jul 5, 2011
    One of the best game I've played since Dragon Age Origins and Neverwinter Nights. The graphics are amazing, the storyline is the intelligent and the action is awesome. The history really changes with your decisions and choices. I was immerse on the scenes and surprises in the history. I recomend this game for all people! Play it!!!
  45. Jul 6, 2011
    Fantastic game! Highly recommended. Bioware fanboys should suck it up and admit da2 is a total failure and tw2 is a gem everyone should play. Playing the 4th time now.
  46. Jul 7, 2011
    Just finished ....Omg im so pissed by mine ending ....That ehhh....Nvm Great Game 10/10 for all..just combat sucks a lil.But music and game play is so epic.
  47. Jul 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Strong hit from CD Project. Mature, gripping and cinematic story which you can immerse without being disturbed by any unexpected breaks. Great environment (of course if you have devastating PC), interesting characters and definitely huge replayability. Many skills, not so many items and equipment, but we can see progress compering to The Witcher. Yes, I know that fight might be annoying and difficult but usually only at the beginning - of course if you understand that this is RPG not an action game. Expand
  48. Jul 9, 2011
    I enjoy the more "involved" RPG's like Baldurs Gate 2, Wizardry 8, Neverwinter Nights, DA:O (Dragon Age Origins) and the Witcher. I enjoy an RPG if it provides three things: (a) great plot and good story telling, (b) deep and meaningful character development, and (c) easy to learn combat system with tactical depth: The Witcher 2 has an original, complex and well written story. However, I didn't realize the extent of it until I was reaching it's end. The quests along the way are varied and entertaining, but I often found myself asking why I'm completing them. In chapter 1 I was fighting the Kayran instead of searching for the king slayer, in chapter 2 I was defending the peasantry in Vergan instead of searching for the king slayer, and in chapter 3 I was searching for Triss/Philippa instead of searching for the king slayer. Yes, everything ties in with the king slayer, but only at the end do you truly understand why. I would have preferred it if the designers had tied the quests closer to the main plot, thrown in a plot twist or two (which is what I loved about Morrigan in DA:O) and revealed a bit more about what's going on along the way. Understanding more of the situation earlier would certainly have heightened the suspense.

The technicalities of story telling (writing, voice acting) are handled excellently and among the best. In contrast to the story, character development is the games week spot. Nevertheless, this should be the central element of any RPG; this is what defines the genre. An RPG should allow for various character builds. New abilities should combine with others in meaningful and surprising ways so their sum is greater then their parts. New abilities should affect game play, determine how the character is most efficiently played, and make the character unique.

Given this definition of an RPG, the game barely deserves to be called one. At level 35 your character might have three or four abilities more then he did when he started out, otherwise character progression simply adds more "umpf" to existing abilities.

Furthermore, I never found myself having to make tradeoffs. At level 35 I had skilled-up all the abilities I found important. I enjoyed two play-throughs (Hard & Insane), made the exact same build both times and have no desire to try a different character build.

I actually enjoy pausing a battle and having to think my way out of a sticky situation, by creatively using my abilities, timing and the terrain to my advantage. Unfortunately, I'm afraid this puts me in the minority.

In chapter 3 my pet dog is literally smart enough to win most battles (at this stage button mashing will rid you of most mobs). Prior to that tactics can be summed up as follows:
    >if possible, avoid engaging multiple enemies at once (pull one at a time).
    > never get caught with your back to a wall (you need room to dodge attacks).
    > at all times you should be either dodging, blocking or attacking.
    > attack from behind or wait for an opening (after the enemy attacked).
    > if the enemy wears armor and/or is big: attack with right mouse button.
    > if enemy is small and/or fast: attack with left mouse button.
    > if all else fails set lots of traps before engaging.
    From this list it is obvious that combat is more about action then tactics. Some people will enjoy this, but I do not.

Summary:

The game is rated mature for two reasons: language and nudity/sex. The sex scenes are short and void of any emotion whatsoever. Making them more relevant for the characters or the story would be a big improvement. I have no issues with course language, but I would have appreciated less modern lingo. People discussing f**king and/or genetics in a medieval setting just doesn't seem appropriate.

The Witcher 2 is by far the best looking game, ever. Excluding the last chapter (which seems rushed) all locations are incredibly detailed and realistic. Twice I just stopped to watch the sun rise. However, even with really modern hardware you won't be able to max out everything.

The UI still needs a lot of polish, specifically inventory management (sorting, filtering, determining what books you've already read etc) and alchemy (making & drinking potions takes too long). I'm guessing future patches will fix a lot of this, but right now it can really be a pain.

The game is well programed and tested. Bugs tend to be quest related, but it is certainly playable now. I didn't experience a single crash in my two play-throughs.

In this review I concentrated on what I didn't like. However, it turns out this just isn't the right game for me. If you enjoy light, action oriented RPG's then this is a MUST HAVE and likely one of the best titles of the year. If you are looking for a true RPG then this will disappoint you just as DA2 (Dragon Age II) did.
  49. Jul 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a rare masterpiece in a world of mediocrity. Characters are believable, story line is great, graphics are as good as they can be on current generation of hardware, music and dialogue are top notch. Game runs fluent as hell on mid level systems, especially after patches were introduced. I highly recommend it to any hardcore and casual RPG fan, because this is how modern RPGs should be done. Expand
  50. Jul 20, 2011
    Outstanding, breathtaking RPG! Non-linear deep story, awesome characters, great atmosphere, interesting gameplay, improved combat system and really difficult choices will not let anybody to go out from the screen till the end. This game is fun as hell.
  51. Nov 6, 2011
    The Witcher 2 became my favorite game.The game is great.It has an epic storyline and beautiful visuals.The game was created for mature customers.It has many advantages.It is not linear, addictive, has an interesting combat system,interesting characters,great soundtrack and many more.My favorite games was: Mass Effect, Mass effect 2, fallout 3, fallout new Vegas.By the time I played the witcher.The Witcher 2: The Assassins of kings, beats all the other giants RPG.CD Project, has created a masterpiece! Expand
  52. Jul 28, 2011
    One of bests game ive played after a long time, the graphics are amazing, everything is made with passion, so deep and immerse. TW1 is good, but TW2 is better in all aspects.
  53. Jul 28, 2011
    This is the best game I've played this year. The Graphics are amazing, the storyline and characters are amazing. The game has some, though small, flaws. The one thing that annoys me the most were the caves beneath vergen, which were really hard to navigate. And I got lost several times, I miss the ability to set your own waypoints on the map. All in all this is a great game, but you should only play it if you have a powerful enough computer to be able to enjoy the visuals. Expand
  54. Jul 31, 2011
    Well worth my money, and can't wait for the next one. Really enjoyed the depth of decision making and the outcomes of my choices, and this game trumps DA2.
  55. Aug 8, 2011
    This is one of the best RPGs I have played for a long time. Graphics are great, story is AWESOME, controls are nice and fluent and the fighting feels good and looks great. Definitely a must buy
  56. Aug 14, 2011
    Im sure I would really enjoy this game, I am sure it must be fantastic. All I know however is that after downloading and trying to run, it does absolutely NOTHING. No error message, just doesnt load from the steam launcher. So this game gets a 0. As in its a waste, I cant play it. Ive looked for help on the forums, nothing, nothing works. Sorry guys, but cannot recommend. In fact I must suggest avoid, in case you waste your money like I did. Expand
  57. Aug 24, 2011
    One of the best RPG of all time. Definitely the best looking RPG so far and you can bet that graphics are not the main pinnacle of this game. Replayability, atmosphere, character developement, dialogues and storyline are just top class.
  58. Aug 30, 2011
    Amazing game, well worth the wait and the money. Every decisions you make has an affect. Though combat is not as complex as the first but everything else outshines it.
  59. Sep 6, 2011
    Easily the prettiest game I've ever played. The story is rich and enveloping, and your decisions change how that story unfolds. It employs a unique, and sometimes, challenging combat system that doesn't care if you don't like it. Unfortunately, the inventory and item creation interfaces were sloppy at best. While that really took away from the gaming aspect for me, the game still wowed at most other corners. You can tell this was 150% effort by the developers and that heart shows, which is why it still deserves that A. Expand
  60. Sep 9, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is not just a game,this epic, thrilling adventure with excellent, interesting to the very end of the story and an excellent, modern, beautiful graphics.This is a game that beats a lot of great titles.Apart from the brilliant storyline and graphics, the witcher 2 has a really spectacular battle system.Dialogues are interesting, very very well done.Great, memorable locations, as well as various forms should impress no one RPG fan.One of the main advantages of the game is no Linearity.Everything depends on the player's decision.The game can be completed in 16 different ways.It depends on us what we will do the mission that we meet the characters and what we will explore a vast area.
    The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings was made in order to mature, requiring the recipient..
    Witcher 2 is a game worth recommending.Its excellent!
  61. Sep 13, 2011
    So, the game passed. Experiences very much. Results can not be described. Oh well. So first what I want to say this nonlinearity. Each quest traversed 2.3 or greater means. And I mean the story side quests, but not as we pass: the sword, signs, etc. This is my first game with non-linear quests. Often do not know which side to stand up. All the two sides. The second thing worth mentioning is the characters and their replicas. Characters pronounced. Each character personality, their views on everything. Death of Cedric caused a lot more emotion than the mother's death Hawke. Although if you sue anyone he Geralt. Replicas are also nonlinear. Russian voice pleases. Particularly pleased with dwarves with their vulgar and rude remarks ... they are beautiful! Third, what is striking is the graphics. Gorgeous graphics engine that produces excellent pictures even at medium machines. It is also perfectly porobotali designers. Otherwise there would be a "demonstration" engine as it was in the first Assassin's Creed. We are surrounded by many small details. And the main thing. Above all praise. Atmosphere. Atmosphere compared with the first part a little blown away. Just a little bit. Here the forest. The birds are singing, gurgling waterfall, mist alarming. Feeling that the monsters very close and is about to pounce on you, they. Or at least the same Verga. This is for me at the moment most atmospheric virtual city that I've seen. Here's another example. A meeting with the Queen endriag. Can you feel her strength, power. Did you know that it can be dangerous. In a meeting with the DA 2 big golem caused only depression. We took a pile of rocks and stuffed into the heap 100 500 HP. Actually, everything. Developers are not deceiving us when we said that in one passage does not see everything. It's true. After all, developers have two campaigns in one! Game must go at least twice - for Iorveta and for Roche. Because it's almost two different storylines, different characters is, cities, etc. Music as ohrinitelna. In the same tavern. This sensual, expressive composition. About this game is much to write, but I probably will stop. You know, even if the CD Project RED screwed up with new games (which I highly doubt), I will love them for that gave the world two great games that probably will always be my favorite. Poles have done a great job. Their game is without flaws, yes, but it is fashionable to say the dignity of all zatmivayut these shortcomings. All of their games is ... native. 10 out of 10! Expand
  62. Sep 25, 2011
    Witcher 2 was a highly anticipated game for me and I was sorely disappointed. The good points are as follows: Amazing graphics, great sounds, immersive game world, wonderful story. However, the bad points make the game unplayable. They are: VERY POOR game play, horrible character controls (movement / interaction) feels very much like the game was designed for consoles first, Combat is just simply awful !!!!!! This game is simply hack and slash. Very much an arcade console type game. Combat feels very much like super Mario brothers. I purchased the game at release and attempted to play for about 2 hours after which I turned it off disgusted. Months later I give it another shot and played through the prolog and into chapter 1 a bit before once again stopping. This time I uninstalled the game. I am so disgusted that I sat down and took the time out of my Sunday to write this so others would not waste their money as well. You will notice a large amount of 10 ratings. All I can say is that this must be the younger generation who were raised on arcade, action style games such as God of War. If you are of the younger generation and prefer quick arcade style, button pushing, jumping around, style combat then go for it. However, if you are the older generation and long for true strategy based RPG combat then donâ Expand
  63. Sep 30, 2011
    Easily the greatest RPG since the Baldur's Gate Series back in the mid-90's, perhaps even a bit better considering the technological differences. There is not a single bad voice actor throughout all of the game, every single inflection in the characters voices is accurate the emotions they're experiencing. Which is another thing the Witcher 2 did well, they conveyed the emotion of the characters spectacularly, making you feel for the prosecuted elves and even sometimes loathe some of the humans you encounter. The characters are in-depth and exceedingly realastic, and if you're a fan of the novels which inspired the game; you're in for a surprise as there are MANY references to the sub-plots of the books.

The musical score aids this aspect of the game greatly, featuring some of the best in-game music I've ever heard; setting the ambiance, for romance, hatred, and sadness all at once in a way that's easily comprehended without being repetitive and annoying like some *cough* Dragon Age 2 *cough*

The graphics are amazing, easily rivaling Crysis 2 if you have the rig to run it, although the engine is not nearly as forgiving as the aforementioned competitor's, the game hitches sometimes even on the most fierce gaming machines. However, I believe that The Witcher 2 is far more aesthetically pleasing than anything in the Crysis Series could ever be; featuring amazing specular maps and bloom effects with HDR and brilliant anti-aliasing that creates a very realistic and gritty feal to a world filled with villainy and deceit; to make it short: the graphics fit the dark theme of the story perfectly. On a side-note; I should add that it is absolutely wonderful to see a developer like CDProjekt RED; a company that doesn't shy away from nudity and actually listens to the requests of their fans. They're more active on their forums than any other developer I've ever seen.
  64. Oct 29, 2011
    This game is **** AMAZING.

I can't be bothered to type out a testament to the brilliance that is The Witcher 2, but after 3 playthroughs, I'm really disappointed that other games (that aren't as good as TW2) get a higher Metascore than TW2 (Deus Ex: HR, not that it's a bad game or anything, just nowhere near as good as TW2).

One of the greatest cRPG's to ever come of existence.
  65. Oct 26, 2011
    I think it's one of the best RPG this year. The Dialogues between Gerald and the inhabitants are brilliant. The graphics is really cool and I can't be faulted. The best think is the atmosphere of the game, because it's so deep !
  66. Nov 4, 2011
    This gаmes is a triumph. Also very different from it's amazing predecessor it is more focused, more epic and it gives you more choice while at the same time it makes you feel like a small piece of wood on a stormy ocean. After finishing it once i have immediately restarted it. And i feel the same excitement i felt when i first installed it. It is a once in a lifetime experience that should be played by everyone. I would especially recommend this to young players despite it's mature content. It is a lesson about life and it s a lesson about gaming. What it was and what it should be. 10/10. GOTY. Best RPG of this decade so far! Expand
  67. Nov 5, 2011
    Good graphics but very buggy game overall with poor support. Game was basically unplayable and my specs/system are well above min requirements. Have been able to play other games without difficulty but this one was junk. Wait for something with less bugs.
  68. Nov 14, 2011
    In my opinion, Witcher 2 is maybe not one of the very best, but for sure one of the best RPGs released in 2011. Great graphics and fantastic story make me proud to be Polish during playing this game ;). After few patches optimalization is great, there are less bugs than in any other role-playing game I've ever played. What's more, CDP added free DLCs them, so all people, not only these, who bought the premium edition, can enjoy full potential of the game. My grade for Assassin's of Kings is 9, because for me, it has less 'slavic climate', than the first Witcher. Expand
  69. Nov 16, 2011
    Best RPG in YEARS! I liked Two Worlds 2 but this is WAY better! Does everything right in terms of old school adventure and replayability. Drives the retarded "McWonderland" competition out of the picture. Love the beautiful environments. Love love love this game!
  70. Nov 21, 2011
    This is a wonderful and engaging game. It's leaps and bounds ahead of it's predecessor. However, it's not a perfect game. This review was written after version 2.0 so some of the original clunkiness has been removed. What makes this game great is it's ability to draw you into the story. You never really have a sense of the underlying motivations of the various "warring" factions. This keeps you on your feet while making game changing decisions. The combat can be deemed visceral and fast paced; there's no pause button to queue attacks. While the original witcher employed this strategy, I soon became bored with it, but here I rather enjoyed it. I don't know if it was a lack of immersion or polish in the last installment that didn't excite me. It goes without saying that this game has brilliant graphics, top notch effort. I have some gripes about odd lighting but, it's not game breaking. I love talent trees and the ability to tweak my toon as I see fit; better yet, to fit my play style. Being able to mutate certain traits, while providing a negligible bonus in most cases, also gives you the feeling of character customization.

Now for the things that made this game an eight. Clunky combat in some situations. The battle with the Kayran really exposes the weakness in the combat. I will not spoil the fight but you will see. I wish they would have implemented tab targeting for a quick lock on the fly. Resale value in the game is terrible, money will never be an issue, but, come on it needs to be buffed 25%. I know this is a European game but some of the English translations are terrible; ie the 3 riddles in chapter 3 - they make absolutely no sense. The biggest fault of the game in my eyes is chapter balance. You spend so much time in the first 1-2 chapters that the final chapter just feels rushed. The last chapter baffled me altogether. I'm not sure if they ran out of time or money or both. The best way to put it is ANTICLIMACTIC. Overall, I would recommend this game any lover of RPG's.
  71. Dec 20, 2011
    Seems like a good game, if I could play it for more than 10 minutes. Even that time frame is only if the moon and stars align in just the right way. I have a top of the line system and the game run, *when it runs* very smoothly and looks great. However the problem is constant crashing where the game will just exit to windows. I have not found a patch that fixes this issue though I have seen that others are having this same problem. You simply cannot tell when the game will crash. Is it when I select the map? How about when I try to save? This one is especially brutal when you've just played 15 minutes, hit the save button and the game crashes forcing you to replay everything. I would love to rate this game higher but this bug (there are a few more, but all minor in my opinion) prevent me from enjoying it. I would STRONGLY recommend that you do not purchase until this bug is fixed or until the game goes for a bargain price. Or unless your attention span lasts 5 to 10 minutes at a time, you know whatever. Expand
  72. Jan 2, 2012
    Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings is the best game of the year 2011. Has excellent story, characters, graphic, dialogues, everything in this game is brilliant! Witcher 2 crushes such games as: Dragon Age 2, TES V Skyrim, Deus Ex HR or Fable III. Game of the year! And sorry, for my bad English.
  73. Jan 2, 2012
    Just a great RPG!!! CDP RED made epic game. Many people is unhappy because of this how Gerald fights and complain about this. But they should read the book and than check this game. This game is gorgeous because of its story line and this is aim of RPG. In few words excellent storyline, excellent graphic and at least very good gamplay. Number one in this year. Skyrim is a good game but its not enough. Expand
  74. Jan 13, 2012
    One of the greatest rpg game of all time. Dark fantasy world, very good plot (not telling about saving world but rather about politics). A lot of hard decision to make and each decision impact the world of game. Almost every character is unique and memorable (Iorweth, Roch, Ves, Yarpen etc). Demanding but giving a lot of satisfaction combat system. And last but not least the awesome protagonist - Geralt of Rivia - witcher, lover, killer. A lot of people arguing that "the witcher" is not a really rpg because it doesn't allow to create own hero. I think that with such a deep described character like Getalt it is not necessary, I think that it was be a really hard to create a character that would be fit to witcher game world . Really you create Geralt and the world of game with your every decision. Expand
  75. Jan 22, 2012
    I have put more time than I would like into trying to get the game to run. I have downloaded it twice now since buying it. The 2.1 patch supposedly broke the game for many steam users, and the only way to make the game go is a workaround that disables achievements and doesn't always work for everyone. There's no 2.2 patch to fix the game. As old as the issue is there is no official fix, and so I guess there is no plans for one either. All I can do is say that the game is unplayable and give it an awful rating. Expand
  76. Jan 24, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is simply a masterpiece it easily beats Skyrim and every other rpg out there if u love rpg's do urself a favor and pick this one up you will not be sorry i assure you!
  77. Feb 7, 2012
    Best RPG I have played in a long while. Challenging, deep and well-executed. For those who seek games that do not have the usual "you are the chose one" storyline, this is the game to pick up. The story is interesting and compelling. As a newcomer to the series, it was relatively easy to comprehend what was happening due to certain plot mechanics that reveal relevant information as you go along. Being a non-linear RPG, there are a lot of choices: minor ones that might affect immediate events or major ones that span several chapters. The combat is unique and challenging in a sense that it deviates from the potion-chugging norm of most RPGs. Preparations have to made before fights and damage modification oils can be used inside battles. On top of that, the health potions that Geralt can use before battles only speed up regeneration not heal by chunks. This brings a whole new level of depth and complexity to combat, albeit the two-button light/heavy attack mechanic. As for character development, there is only enough experience in the game to specialize in one out of the three skill trees, or hybrid in two. Stats are more equipment based, especially early in the game. This gives the game that almost unforgiving difficulty in the first few encounters, once vitality and armor upgrades are more accessible the game tames down a bit.

The graphics and sound are great. There are almost no loading screens due to "buffer" sections in the map that automatically load the next area while players explore. The overall presentation is top notch, with a musical score that really brings out the scenario Geralt is in. The ambient noises also flesh out the fantasy world, this is especially true outside city walls. Visuals are smooth and fluid if your gaming rig can handle it, playing at maximum graphical settings proves to be a most immersive experience.

I highly recommend this game to everyone, The Witcher 2 exemplifies the balance of combat, exploration and storytelling delivered in an artistic and emotional package.
  78. Feb 2, 2012
    I dont write reviews and I wasn't even member of this site till I played Witcher 2 few days ago. Bioware has spread themselves thin developing their Star wars MMO and I am not surprised that they couldnt deliver with Dragon Age 2. Simply put they took all the engine and the code that developed for Star wars MMO and tried to slap something together and call it Dragon Age 2 then find bunch silly excuses for things like not having tactical view yada yada yada. Witcher 2 is superb game and the franchise as a whole has great potential. Great job CDProjekt just when I thought that people dont make games like before and all sell out to mainstream, you prove us all wrong. Keep it UP! Expand
  79. Apr 21, 2012
    Best cRPG i ever played in a long time. Story is great and nonlinear, choices are great, graphics looks amazing! That is what should looks modern rpgs! Also fantastic characters and fight system. Unfortunately game has minor bugs, but it doesn't matter. Act3 is maybe too short, but Witcher 2 have my recommendation!
  80. Feb 21, 2012
    This game is ultimate. Its RPG elements are huge, and your choices really matter. In theory, there are 4 endings, but with all the different options you could take, there are thousands. The graphics are absolutely top of the notch. I play on a laptop, and usually go for Ultra or at least High, which I can run easily. Here, I went with Medium-medium-high, I couldn't run anything higher, yet the graphics were still better than any game I've ever seen. The gameplay and controls take a while to get used to, but once you do, you'll find them very easy and fluent. And the thing I like most - the package it comes with. CDProjektRed weren't skimpy when it came to that. Even the lowest edition I could find comes in a big box, with the game, soundtrack, map, manual, game guide, papercraft figures and a coin and letter thing which are relevant to Act 2 of the story if you went with Vernon Roche and not Iorveth. In short, I love it! Expand
  81. Mar 11, 2012
    Game is amazing in prologue and first act. Later is... Eh... . But graphic is awesome. Animation is awesome. Story is good, you don`t a awesome soldier who must save the world. Universe is very good. This is a dark fantasy. The worst is only epilogue.
  82. Mar 19, 2012
    This game is truly one of the best RPG's i have ever in my entire life played. The graphics are amazing, the story was magnificent and it truly is a great sequel to TW1. This game deserves all the praise it gets and more. I can't wait for another game from these developers they truly do know how to make a PC and RPG game.
  83. Apr 18, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is the best sequel I have seen in a very long time. The story is phenomenal, the game play can be set to be extremely challenging or to be more of a story telling situation. The side quests involved with the game are meant to be more investigative rather that go here, collect this or go there, kill that. Although, there are some quests that do involve simple killing, it is in line with the work of Geralt. Above all I love that this game has stepped away from good or bad decisions, but really relies on shades of grey choices. There is no good, no bad, but only choices that shall affect the story that you chose for Geralt. That alone makes this by far one of the best games I have ever played. Expand
  84. May 2, 2012
    This game is very AWESOME, i love it .. the world the characters all ... forget Skyrim forget Oblivion .. forget Mass effect ... The Witcher > all ... And Cd - Project is a very nice developer
  85. May 16, 2012
    Best game ever, best RPG, best choices and consequences, best story, best graphics, best soundtrack, best voice acting best gameplay....best in every way. What do you want more than that? obviously 10.
  86. May 17, 2012
    When you waiting promises, and after you get even more - a masterpiece is born. The game does not leave any chance to throw it on the back burner, as often happens with good games. Each bit of this creation gives the quality and consistency. From the Start menu to the title. I found no flaws. This game troll's head and shoulders above than any of its competitors. That such should be games today. Such games putting virtual entertainment on the same shelf with traditional entertainment, like a book and movie. This is a masterpiece, no doubt. Bravo CD-Project RED! Expand
  87. May 21, 2012
    It's just an excellent game. Nowadays it's really hard to find such a good storyline in any games. In spite of that the game provides you with a great intuitive combat system, fantastic graphics and animations plus really good cutscenes. Interesting characters, deepth of the story, multiple choices to solve the problems and push the story forward, this is just how it should be done in modern games. It's just a "must have" for all cRPG fans. Expand
  88. May 24, 2012
    One of the best RPGs I've ever played. The story is great, the gameplay is outstanding, and there is quite the replay value. There are some technical issues, especially, when you want to play with gamepad, and the technical support seems to be non existant, but overall it's a must buy for any RPG player.
  89. Feb 7, 2013
    Witcher 1 was great. RPG game with good character development, story line and atmosphere that differed from all games of the genre at that time. Witcher 2 is a steaming pile of crap that has been polished with nice graphics.
  90. Jul 15, 2012
    I truly loved the first Witcher. It was dark, adult, and presented a rich fantasy world full of memorable settings and interesting characters. The sequel also offers this but not nearly as much as the first. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings looks downright gorgeous. The greatest graphics I have ever seen in any modern game to date. The attention to the tiniest detail is also astounding. The gameplay is also fine. After a series of updates and patches the combat became much more balanced and enjoyable. The story and plot at first was really enjoyable and had numerous memorable moments. And the fact that there are two possible story paths to partake in doubles the amount of replay-ability. However, the ending left me purely disappointed. I felt the game had been building up to something great and was only let down with a lackluster conclusion. If one were to play this game and take advantage of both story paths then the play time would be around 70 hours. A good investment if you're a fan of the universe, the first game or video games in general even with the tagged on ending. Expand
  91. Jul 22, 2012

Witcher 2 is a steaming pile of crap that has been polished with nice graphics.
    Storyline went to hell (Starting with the **** intro sequence that had no meaning, continuing with
    the interrogation phase which was all shot to hell when you
    decided to play a wiseass - so mixing up the story sequence - and on and on...).
    The collectible card game aspect of witcher 1 (the bedded women were represented as cards) was
    criticised by many. W2 doesn't have it - instead it uses up every excuse to show off nude skin, and
    even throws in lame jokes about "lesbomancy", which made me cringe in embarrassment for the original developers.
    The "dark" world is supposedly conveyed by every single male character swearing all the time, and
    singing about **** Somehow this is "dark" and "adult" content, instead of conveying it in story line.
    Compare with the scoia'tel story line of Witcher 1 and you'll see the difference.

All in all, if you liked Witcher 1, you probably won't like W2. Then again, if you are a console gamer
    expecting a no-brainer runthrough game with nice graphics and plenty of **** this is the game for you!
  92. Dec 13, 2012
    Loved the first witcher, it was a true RPG. This iteration is not an RPG, its a platformer. I hate platformers and hitting all the platformer stages is just annoying.
  93. Dec 20, 2012
    Nope. This doesn't do it. This is way too HACK and SLASH for an RPG and take away the cut scenes, what do you have? Hack and slash through one wave of badies, next wave spawns - etc. etc. Do I like or care about the main character? Nope. his dull monotone voice and long hair just gets on my nerves. Maybe OK for all the console owners out there - but I prefer something with a little more thought, planning and intelligence. Expand
  94. Apr 2, 2013
    Though I am still just halfway through the game, the need to rate this game was great. This is A great rpg one that I have been wanting since forever. The last rpg's that made me lock myself up were kotor and a few others. The witcher 2 is the first since those enjoyable titles who tempt me to neglect the real world haha. Nice to see singleplayer rpg's still hold up in this mmorpg day and age.
  95. Apr 23, 2013
    It's all about expectations. People hate DA2 because it's a Bioware game, and they love TW2 because it comes from an underdog developer. In fact, both games have significant flaws. Here are some of the qualms I'm having with TW2: 1. Game unexpectedly quits to desktop and needs a fairly arcane fix to work properly. I'm told this is pretty rare, but who cares? I've never had any trouble like this with any Bioware game. 2. Convincing story and depth of character? Please. In the prologue, the king literally fights in the front lines, which is completely implausible. No king would expose himself like that. 3. Very cumbersome loot system. Casting the medallion spell to show available loot adds nothing, it's just another annoying click, click, click, click... 4. Long loading times. No, it's not my hardware setup, believe you me. 5. The graphics aren't any better than DA2, say what you want. 6. Superfluous and offensive female-only nudity. If you want to be explicit, fine just show me some full frontal male nudity as well, to prevent me from thinking that you're some kind of sadist who fantasizes about big-breasted women in chains. Don't get me wrong, I think the game has many strengths the combat system rocks, imo, and the story is generally fairly engaging. It just doesn't deserve all the praise it's received, just as DA2 doesn't deserve all the scorn that's been heaped upon it. Expand
  96. Jun 16, 2013
    I installed the game today, I played through the tutorial, the first two quests and I was disillusioned. So many flaws and problems, where shall I begin?

Firstly, the animations: they are choppy. Whether it is Geralt's switch between running and walking or the general animation quality of enemies and NPC's, one can easily see: the developers are not able to deliver quality animations.
    The animations create a feeling of "amateurs at work". Feel free to disagree, but I am used to seeing another level of quality. For example, Resident Evil 5 or Dark Souls, see for your self.

Secondly, the controls: they are counter-intuitive, and the way the controller is treated clearly exposes the lack of experience and care by the developer when it comes to AAA products. An AAA product has to be on a high level regarding accessibility. The controls are chunky, imprecise and lack required customisation.

Then, bad graphics, yes, you've read correctly: bad graphics. Why? One should measure the graphics of a game not only by their fidelity when they are powered by the most powerful but also most expensive hardware available, but also by their efficiency and their aesthetics. The result is clear: the graphics are below average. Pushing the graphics based on superior hardware is a nice way of luring in new players and supporting the hardware manufacturers, but it does not say anything about the beauty of your game. Turn down the graphics to playable levels on an average gaming computer and you will get the picture. Games like “Forza Motorsport” or “The Last of Us” demonstrate what good graphics mean: they are beautiful to look at, not because of hardware-hungry effects, but because of aesthetical and skilled design. “The Witcher 2” is below average in this department.

Next, cluttered inventory: another unintuitive segment of the game. Be it the layout, responsiveness of the menus or the presentation, everything screams: clutter, badly optimised.

Also, the story: I know that most of you will argue that this is a strong point of the game. And I may not be in the position to judge the story based on my experience, but from what I saw and heard, it was cringe worthy. Cliché and corny, nothing felt mature or advanced. Contrary, it felt as hilarious as a B-movie.

This leads me to my last point: Bad voice acting. This feature complements and underlines the impression of a hard to care about and hilarious story. Geralt is barely hear able as he grunts and mumbles along, and the rest of the cast does sound more or less like amateurs, there are some exceptions though.

Overall, I cannot fight the impression that the developer was overambitious. They probably do have the imagination, the spirit and the creativity, but they certainly lack the technical know how, the talent and the experience in order to produce a high quality game, which would pay justice to their vision.

Slightly above average game. Ambitious, but lacking in many aspects: some crucial.

97. Jun 16, 2013
    Horrible controls for a lazy console-to-PC port. Add to that NO XBox controller-on-PC support, a lazy, crap game with no potential. Many people like the "RPG aspects" of this game, but without competent controls it's another Dragon Age rehash with nothing new to offer.
  98. Jun 19, 2013
    I am very critical of games, and this being said, this is game is one of the few games i will ever give a 10. This game excels in every aspect. Great story, great graphics and amazing graphics. I would value this game at $60, but you only have to pay $20(!)
  99. Jun 28, 2013
    i have played the first witcher game and i loved it, but this game is beyond any RPG ive ever played. i even bought all the witcher books after playing this game, it was just brilliant. for me this game is an solid 10/10
  100. May 18, 2011
    Wow. I actually said that out load when I started playing this game. I have the PC version and havnt yet tried the other console versions but I can easily say that the graphics are the best that I have ever seen. Blows Crysis, DAO(and 2) and even Metro 2033 out of the water. The "ubersample" settings are amazing and just make it even better, although be warned you need a bigtime rig. Aside from graphics the style of the game just drew me in. I was in that world, I was Geralt. I havnt beaten the game yet but the story is fantastic with some pretty amazing plot lines, characters and UNLIKE DA2 varied settings that make you believe. The interface was a bit clumsy at first but I have gotten used to it now and forging weapons, potions and adding upgrades seems easy now. This will win game of the year, unless the folks at Bethesda top it with Skyrim. Perhaps the people at EA(Bioware) can take a look at the Witcher 2 and understand how a gritty yet beautiful game is created. Collapse

1. Oct 21, 2011