The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings PC

8.5

1. Apr 10, 2012
    The enchanced edition game (2.0) is really great. The Arena mode gives you the opportunity to practice fighing skills (and fighting is really dificult). The story is intriguing... Great and complex game !
  2. Nov 13, 2011
    Being spoiled by open worlds from the Bethesda studio's this is disappointing. All though the story is great it really pissed me off that the story telling cuts in all the time and even lets you lose a fight which I was totally winning just to be able to tell the story. Also lets you fight fights with other characters of your party on occasion. The game player just has to follow. I knowBeing spoiled by open worlds from the Bethesda studio's this is disappointing. All though the story is great it really pissed me off that the story telling cuts in all the time and even lets you lose a fight which I was totally winning just to be able to tell the story. Also lets you fight fights with other characters of your party on occasion. The game player just has to follow. I know this is part of role playing but as I said I'm spoiled by the free open worlds in other games. But great graphics, fighting system and story! Expand
  3. Apr 15, 2012
    Absolutely stunning. At long last a mature RPG game for adult players. Complex story, difficult choices that matter. This game offers so much, it pays breathlessly. It has it's vices and minor kinks (interface might be one of those). I might have done many things differently, but with even numerous issues you might have with this game there is nothing better out there yet, so this is theAbsolutely stunning. At long last a mature RPG game for adult players. Complex story, difficult choices that matter. This game offers so much, it pays breathlessly. It has it's vices and minor kinks (interface might be one of those). I might have done many things differently, but with even numerous issues you might have with this game there is nothing better out there yet, so this is the best you can get on the market, hence a full 10/10.

Kudos to CD Projekt RED for a fabulouos release. Looking forward to more!
  4. Jan 7, 2012
    This game is a real masterpiece in aspect of Action Rpg genre....Its and Polish fantasy awesomeness with often challenging combat, stunning visuals, some mature nudity scenes, good moral choices, deep skill trees, fun boss battles, interesting characters, surprisingly high replay value, i feel like i can go on forever you should be glad i didn't played the game since July by now or i wouldThis game is a real masterpiece in aspect of Action Rpg genre....Its and Polish fantasy awesomeness with often challenging combat, stunning visuals, some mature nudity scenes, good moral choices, deep skill trees, fun boss battles, interesting characters, surprisingly high replay value, i feel like i can go on forever you should be glad i didn't played the game since July by now or i would be screaming CDProjektRED like a fangirl now, although they are already a real caring and the most non greedy developing team who puts dlc's for free...This game HUMILIATES dragon age 2 and its pathetic attempt at an action RPG... Expand
  5. TSB
    Aug 24, 2012
    One of the best games I ever played . The witcher 2 gave me every thing great story with different way to end fantastic graphics enjoyable gameplay and very good soundtrack maybe if it had more bosses fight it will be a perfect game I really wish that I could find similar game to the witcher and I'm whiting for the new the witcher game .
  6. May 3, 2013
    Only thing I dislike about the witcher 2 is how heavy (on my pc) this game is... But, everything else, from the RPG elements, to the combat (which is ok, without being either bad or great), immersive story and great characters, fits together nicely to create an amazing game... There is plenty of replayability too, with the whole act 2 being completely different based on your decision atOnly thing I dislike about the witcher 2 is how heavy (on my pc) this game is... But, everything else, from the RPG elements, to the combat (which is ok, without being either bad or great), immersive story and great characters, fits together nicely to create an amazing game... There is plenty of replayability too, with the whole act 2 being completely different based on your decision at the end of act 1... I can't really think of any other action RPG title that I have enjoyed as much as the Witcher 2... Expand
  7. Feb 14, 2015
    .............................................................................................................................................................
  8. Aug 31, 2015
    Love this game! A lot of changes from the first Witcher title, but there is much more depth, action, and story here.

Story: Get ready to explore a world full of exciting political turmoil and chaos. This new Witcher installment has a lot of in-depth characters and an exciting story which involves political figures, rebels, and mages. You really feel as if your choices and actions

Story:

Get ready to explore a world full of exciting political turmoil and chaos. This new Witcher installment has a lot of in-depth characters and an exciting story which involves political figures, rebels, and mages. You really feel as if your choices and actions shape the game quite a bit as you go along. This leads to a lot of attachment to certain characters and a great amount of replay value. The quests are interesting and engaging. It is nice to see some adult themes being thrown around in a game nowadays too rather than the usual generic boring fetch quests. I really enjoyed the story of this game, much more than the first Witcher.

Gameplay:

There is a learning curve for combat. Gone are the styles of the first game and, in my opinion, a much better type of combat takes its place. At first, it can be quite difficult which I thought was actually enjoyable. You start with all of your signs and get thrown right into combat with no tutorial which, if you never played the first game, I can see why some complained. For me, I welcomed the difficult combat. It’s a nice change of pace to actually have to use oils and potions to prepare for battle as compared to just running in and button mashing. That being said, there are some targeting issues that can be annoying. You may find yourself having trouble targeting the correct enemies which can become frustrating. All in all combat can be difficult, but it’s not that difficult especially once you get dodging down it then becomes much easier.

The skill tree is expended and much more in-depth than many other mainstream RPG’s. However, my only complaint is that the alchemy tree can almost be ignored. I just didn’t find much use for it when compared to the other two.

My main complaint with the game is the menus. They look and navigate like a poor console port. It can be a pain to search for certain items as the organization is feeble.

Graphics/Sound:

Voice acting is top notch here. Geralt, Triss, and all the major players are done with great writing and voice acting. In my opinion the voice acting and writing here blows games like Skyrim and Dragon Age 2 out of the water.

The game looks amazing. The graphics here are crazy good, even without playing on max settings. I played on medium and the amount of detail and interaction is outstanding.

Conclusion:

In my opinion its the 2011 Game of the year, if not RPG of the year. Tons more depth, interaction, and action than most games out there. A really enjoyable experience and a must own for any RPG or adventure gamer.
  9. May 23, 2011
    So this is my second review here, TW2 is one of the best RPG games I've played - it has great graphics, good humor, nice story, animations and so on but on the second hand simply I can't give this game more than 7,5. CD Project Red I hope your next game will be better and thanks for TW2!
  10. May 27, 2011
    What do you need to know? this is NOT Dragon Age 2 , there is no copy paste or dumbed down gameplay, this is a great contender for game of the year since mass effect 3 is expected to show next year, but judging by dragon age 2 you can fear it WILL be dumbed and its quality compromised, contrary to the witcher 2.
  11. May 17, 2011
    For me this is almost perfect game. The battles are wonderfully hard (on hard), characters are believable the quests and main plot are filled with grey area, the surroundings are amazing + probably the best rain effects i have seen in a game to date. Interface is extremely beautiful semi-minimalistic; only minor gripes being only seeing 8 items at a time in inventory and conversationFor me this is almost perfect game. The battles are wonderfully hard (on hard), characters are believable the quests and main plot are filled with grey area, the surroundings are amazing + probably the best rain effects i have seen in a game to date. Interface is extremely beautiful semi-minimalistic; only minor gripes being only seeing 8 items at a time in inventory and conversation selecting not fitting with the rest of the ui.

This is definitely worth a buy, with the announced free dlc and support for a good old schoolish rpg. That is for anyone who appreciates getting into the game they are playing and actually like using some thought getting through it.
  12. Jul 9, 2011
    Game of the year? Maybe... Rpg of the year? Hell yeah. The characters are intriguing, and the storyline is interesting to say the least. Geralt may be the single most badass protagonist ever made, and it becomes more and more apparent as the story unfolds. The graphics are phenomenal, sound is pitch perfect, and sound is top notch. Do yourself a favour and get this masterpiece immediately.
  13. May 17, 2011
    To be very honest, i wasnt expecting too much.
    I played the first The Witcher few years ago and it was good, nothing new , nothing brilliant it was a good game.
    To be very honest, i wasnt expecting too much.
    But when i played The Witcher 2 it was just a new experience of gaming. The deepth of the story is just incredible, the possibility of choices in this game are incredible high, the atmosphere is just incredible dense its just a beautiful game.
    The combat is great and intuitive a big improvement when you look at the first The Witcher.
    The graphics are just gorgeous, the design of the world , including environment, buildings, armors is really on of the best i ever saw. Its clearly on of the best Role Playing Games i ever experienced.
    So i can just say: Guys, buy this game and support the developers! Score 10.0
  14. May 24, 2011
    This was a huge disapointment.. I knew nothing of the Witcher before I friend told me it was great while speaking about Oblivion (Elders scroll). So I watched some preview I tried it out.. But really there's nothing special about it.. Even worse, the average everybody wont be able to run it on PC, I got a 8k $ comp brought 3 years ago, so still pretty good, I i'm still getting lag on lowThis was a huge disapointment.. I knew nothing of the Witcher before I friend told me it was great while speaking about Oblivion (Elders scroll). So I watched some preview I tried it out.. But really there's nothing special about it.. Even worse, the average everybody wont be able to run it on PC, I got a 8k $ comp brought 3 years ago, so still pretty good, I i'm still getting lag on low graphics.. Plus there are some ridiculous part in the game that'll just make you rage, like inbeatable bosses or run away in straight line from a dragon that'll kill you 50 times.. wtf ? Just wait for Skyrim people. Expand
  15. May 26, 2011
    This definitely is Game of the Year 2011. The single best RPG I have played since Planescape: Torment. The characters are deep and complex, the storyline develops depending on your actions and choices. It takes what was good from every single RPG released in the last 15 years and makes it into something better. The graphics are simply the best ever seen in an RP
  16. Sep 27, 2011
    Great graphics, great story, great game. And no damn day on DLC either like some other game we all know. Hope Witcher 3 will have the same quality and awesomeness.
  17. May 26, 2011
    Average at best - has some significant issues, mainly combat is terrible as the fights itself are too hack&slashy. Also lack of any open world disqualifies this game as an rpg. It is an action game with light rpg-like topping on it. Something like Assassin Creed. Story is good, I liked scripting and graphic, but the combat and poor inventory management spoiled a lot of fun for me. This isAverage at best - has some significant issues, mainly combat is terrible as the fights itself are too hack&slashy. Also lack of any open world disqualifies this game as an rpg. It is an action game with light rpg-like topping on it. Something like Assassin Creed. Story is good, I liked scripting and graphic, but the combat and poor inventory management spoiled a lot of fun for me. This is the same thing that Bioware tried to pull off with DA II, just better executed, but it is still light years away from great classics like Baldur Gates/Wizardy/Might and Magic/Elder Scroll series Expand
  18. May 21, 2011
    A truly epic game which takes the original game and improves on it in every way. Everything about it is excellent and worthy of Game of the Year for 2011.
  19. May 22, 2011
    The way I see it, CD Project has just raised the bar of CRPGs a lot higher. Replayability of the game is tremendous, the combat is way more challenging than in the first installment, character development gained strategy elements as during a single playthrough you'll be able to take only small subset of available skills. Other praises go to game graphics and animation, it's just topnotch.The way I see it, CD Project has just raised the bar of CRPGs a lot higher. Replayability of the game is tremendous, the combat is way more challenging than in the first installment, character development gained strategy elements as during a single playthrough you'll be able to take only small subset of available skills. Other praises go to game graphics and animation, it's just topnotch. That said, I give the game 9/10 due to disappointing ending, it was too open-ended and unsatisfying to my liking. Expand
  20. May 19, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is one of those titles that instills confidence on the PC platform. Its nice to know that someone was paying attention and devoted so much attention to its detail.

Its been an exciting game so far, 6hrs into and look forward to many more hours.
  21. May 17, 2011
    I would give this game a GOTY not just in the RPG, but generally across all genres. The game has amazing graphics that push the hardware (you can also play it on crappy PCs too, so props to devs for optimizing the engine). The game has glorious story and awesome combat mechanics, go watch YouTube if you don't believe me.

More important, this game has an awesome developer behind it that

More important, this game has an awesome developer behind it that does everything RIGHT. No DRM, free DLC, modding tools, PC-only. Thank you CD Project.
  22. May 20, 2011
    So, Metacritic, can you please somehow balance out the "0" scores to reflect a true user score. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but "0".....really? More like the too cool for anything crowd weighing in. Loved "The Witcher", and "Witcher 2" is of he same or better quality, originality, and overall fun, as the original. Bad story line, boring graphics, old gray haired scarred manSo, Metacritic, can you please somehow balance out the "0" scores to reflect a true user score. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but "0".....really? More like the too cool for anything crowd weighing in. Loved "The Witcher", and "Witcher 2" is of he same or better quality, originality, and overall fun, as the original. Bad story line, boring graphics, old gray haired scarred man - huh? I have an HD ATI 5770 in a mid range Asus duel core machine dual core with graphics cranked up all the way with awesome performance and with some of the best graphics of any game out there. Game play is a little complex and a little different that the original, but within an hour or two (I guess if you have a short attention span, this may be too much to ask) you are cranking through some great individual and group battles using both long swords and/or Witcher powers such as fire balls, electric fields, mind control to name a few.

I am not a big RPG fan, more on the action shooter side of things. From the RPG perspective, Witcher allows you to make the game what you want it to be. As you advance through the levels you can assign attributes to customize "The Witcher" making him proficient in, magic, potions or as a sword wielding bad ass.

If you are on the fence on this one, and like Action and/or RPG games, could "tolerate an hour so" of getting the feel of the game, and have a good mid range PC (or better), you will not be disappointed. IMO, Witcher and Witcher 2 are in my top 5 games....up ther with Bio Shock, Dead Space, Modern Warfare...........it,s a great game.
  23. Jul 3, 2011
    As much as I hate saying it the witcher 2 is good in the way of being a work of art than a game. The game almost seems to hate being a game. The gameplay almost feels like padding imbetween the witcher's set pieces and political intrigue. It's extremely difficult even on the normal settings. Some people say that it's difficult in a good way. It makes you use everything at your disposal andAs much as I hate saying it the witcher 2 is good in the way of being a work of art than a game. The game almost seems to hate being a game. The gameplay almost feels like padding imbetween the witcher's set pieces and political intrigue. It's extremely difficult even on the normal settings. Some people say that it's difficult in a good way. It makes you use everything at your disposal and to think on the fly in order to succeed. To a point this may be true but this is best in a game that doesn't focus so much on it's story. So getting stuck in this game is like watching an awesome movie and it keeps freezing in the same places so you have to restard the dvd player and hope that you can get past that part in order to get back into the story. The big reason why the game is so difficult is because the game plays like assassin's creed but if the camera didn't pan out to give you a better sense of the battlefield, and if enemies all ganged up on you at once. Again some people like this since it makes more sense for gangs of enemies to actually gang up on you. But again this would be fine if enemies didn't juggle you hulk--style uncontrollably. Allot of these issues are relieved in easy mode (predictably) but the problem still remains. The game looks beutifull. At least that's what I got from trailers and screen shots. If I try to play the game on high settings I'm afraid my pc will suffer a heart attack. To go along with the story the game has a really good atmosphere with peopel acually doing things unlike obvivion where it's like watching a dog doing house hold chores. The game appeals to my liking of game boxes having extra "stuff" in theme. The standard game might as well be a special edition. Along with a sleeve cover to hold it all the box contains the basic game, a neat letter with a short story in it, a walkthrough ( nearly useless with game faqs) the soundtrack , a paper craft figure, and a bonus features disk . If you can get past these big problems then you'll get a game that you will have a good time with but as it stands if you prefer a game that is more pure in how it fits into int's genre you might want to look elsewhere. Expand
  24. May 22, 2011
    Immersion, quality writing, mature choices that DO matter and the very best graphics seen on any video game to date. I could go on but I don't really think there's any need for me to. If you feel for quality RPG's even in the slightest, you will get this and spend a million happy hours lost in Temeria.
  25. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 makes Dragon Age 2 looks like the poor man's RPG. A beautifully designed world, an engaging and mature storyline, mature not by the measure of **** and blood it shoved in your face, or the pretext of being dark fantasy by murdering your companions and families for shock value, mature because the storyline, the choices given to you, always feel like you are in a real world,The Witcher 2 makes Dragon Age 2 looks like the poor man's RPG. A beautifully designed world, an engaging and mature storyline, mature not by the measure of **** and blood it shoved in your face, or the pretext of being dark fantasy by murdering your companions and families for shock value, mature because the storyline, the choices given to you, always feel like you are in a real world, rather than one written by a little kid who need his fix of instant gratification. Your choices have real consequences, not some help random good guy, get gold **** reward, or bully the peasant and get some negative karma, as if a number had any effect on what some other peasant will think about you, in another kingdom miles away. Yes, you do get to be the Hero, but the consequences of your action is ambiguous. Did you do the right thing you will keep thinking? The combat is challenging and engaging. It's fluid, and feels like a great action title like Bayonetta or DMC, yet, hacking and slashing brainlessly will only get you killed. Use your magical abilities wisely, parry, dodge, try to get in the enemy's blindside, or you will be on the ground faster than you can say "This game is awesome!". The difficulty is brutal even on the normal difficulty. Unlike DA2 awful difficulty setting, this game does feel balanced, as you have a great many set of abilities, and tools to help you, provided you use them wisely. Expand
  26. May 20, 2011
    Best RPG that came out in years, worthy sequel to already great game. Everything about this game is great and to enjoy it you'll need a good computer. GOTY easily for any PC gamer and RPG fan.
  27. May 18, 2011
    Brilliant, enough for me to sign up and leave a review. I've just made it passed the prologue, and am very very impressed. Key points for me are:
    - Graphics are subtly but firmly better than the current generation of rpg's.
    - Everything about the game feels really well produced. - The collectors edition is such a good show to the player base, they've thrown in everything and the kitchen
    - Graphics are subtly but firmly better than the current generation of rpg's.
    - Everything about the game feels really well produced.
    - The collectors edition is such a good show to the player base, they've thrown in everything and the kitchen sink. Great gesture of thanks/reward for supporting the game.

Given that they're a pc developer, and the crap that's come out of bioware recently, awesome stuff, we need more like this game.

What i really wanted to say is this.. being a pc gamer.. the thing that really strikes me about the witcher so far is.. graphically.. its ALMOST the Crysis 2 we should have got. The lighting effects and the amount and quality of the details in the environment have an uncanny resemblance to the original crysis, in terms of the graphical calibre.

I had a blast tweaking the game and seeing Geralt getting hit in the gut a few dozen times while working out the best configs.. The fact that the game didn't disappoint after this is the reason for the 10. The soundtrack is enjoyable to listen to also..
  28. May 19, 2011
    Out of all of the games that have come out this year so far, The Witcher 2 is definitely one of the best, if not the best. The story is great: a lot of time went into its creation, and the writing is deep. The characters are extremely likable, especially the protagonist, Geralt. The return of the delayed-consequence system from the first one makes the story even more engrossing, and reallyOut of all of the games that have come out this year so far, The Witcher 2 is definitely one of the best, if not the best. The story is great: a lot of time went into its creation, and the writing is deep. The characters are extremely likable, especially the protagonist, Geralt. The return of the delayed-consequence system from the first one makes the story even more engrossing, and really helps to keep the player interested. The story is dark, mature, and very political. Graphically, the Witcher 2 is one of the best looking games to date, rivaling Uncharted 2, Crysis 2, and other graphical powerhouses. So much detail is included, from the realistic way trees and grass blow through the wind, to the fluidity of the character models' animations. No other RPG out there comes close to looking good as this one does. The voice acting is much improved over the first one, and the soundtrack is absolutely incredible, one of the best that I've heard. The combat is thrilling and well done, provided that you can get past the steep learning curve that comes with the game. Once you get the hang of the system and utilize all of the tools that the game gives you, you will find that the combat is actually very deep and rewarding. There are tons of options for character progression, allowing you to build Geralt to your own kind of play style. Overall, a monumental achievement for video games. My only complaint is the imbalance in difficultly settings: easy is far too easy, even going so far as to remove the QTE's, which is sad, since normal difficulty can be extremely overwhelming at several points throughout the game. Perhaps a patch could fix this in the future. Overall, well done CDProject Red. Another fantastic game. Expand
  29. May 20, 2011
    The best RPG game i have ever played. This is truly a epic masterpiece. The environment is so amazing and and mind blowing, its just blows all the other RPG games out of the water. The villages / cities are so alive and full of life that you can spend hours just walking completely immersed in the game.
  30. May 20, 2011
    I have no doubt in my mind that we are looking at game of the year here. Amazing story.graphics,music and fighting mechanics.this game imprves on everything that the witcher 1 done and the witcher 1 was an amzing game in its own right go do yourself a favour and BUY this game,you will not regret it
  31. May 23, 2011
    A GOTY Material!

This game is AWEESOME a must have for any mature RPG player. Finally a game that is not afraid to show nudity because of some fake BS morals and cheap political correctness. Finally a game without pushing gay romance (yek) on normal people (I hated this part in DA game). First this game shows the world like it was in middle ages, meaning woman was no-body, so
    A GOTY Material!

This game is AWEESOME a must have for any mature RPG player.
    First this game shows the world like it was in middle ages, meaning woman was no-body, so criticizing this game about being misogynic is just pure BS and lack of history knowledge.

This review is more a replay to negative reviews, people complaining about graphical issues should check their antiquated PCâ
  32. May 24, 2011
    Simply put, one of the best role playing games out there, if not the best. Excellent story that makes you want to keep playing to discover whats happening, very nice combat system that feels fluid (despite some glitches) and graphics that will blow you away. The game has actual choices that lead you up to different paths and change the way it plays on the last 2 chapters. Choices thatSimply put, one of the best role playing games out there, if not the best. Excellent story that makes you want to keep playing to discover whats happening, very nice combat system that feels fluid (despite some glitches) and graphics that will blow you away. The game has actual choices that lead you up to different paths and change the way it plays on the last 2 chapters. Choices that range from choosing how will you infiltrate a town, to picking what side you will aid in the war. A truly beautiful game which makes me even more anxious to see what this Polish studio will prepare for us in The Witcher 3. Some bugs may appear here and there but reviews that give it "0" are just not justified AT ALL. I can understand a 7-8 for someone that hasn't been able to start it and is angry but below that it's just pure hate. Expand
  33. Jun 5, 2011
    Witcher 2 is one of the best RPGs ever. The game presents users with choices at almost every turn and these choice may impact the course of your story significantly. This is one game where choice is not an illusion. Combat is also amazing, is one of the only few games which actually requires the use of all abilities to come out on top of every encounter, if you dont use your abilitiesWitcher 2 is one of the best RPGs ever. The game presents users with choices at almost every turn and these choice may impact the course of your story significantly. This is one game where choice is not an illusion. Combat is also amazing, is one of the only few games which actually requires the use of all abilities to come out on top of every encounter, if you dont use your abilities wisely then there is a good chance that you will get your arse kicked and that is why a lot of bad players won't like this game.

For any RPG fans this is the best game thats out there.
  34. Jun 5, 2011
    I never did play the first game and picked this one up on a whim. So glad I did though, this game is amazing. From the graphics and sound to the game play this is one of the better games I've ever played. Like another person on here stated this is what Dragon Age II should of been like. I'd defiantly have to put this in the running for game of the year.
  35. Jun 17, 2011
    After a few of weeks with Witcher 2 I'm basically in awe of the effort put in here by the developers. The graphics are the best I have seen in a game as simple as that, from environments to the texture on armour and weapons, its actually a joy to just exist in the world and be immersed. The art direction is perfect as well, the world feels real in a sense. Lighting is amazing, rightAfter a few of weeks with Witcher 2 I'm basically in awe of the effort put in here by the developers. The graphics are the best I have seen in a game as simple as that, from environments to the texture on armour and weapons, its actually a joy to just exist in the world and be immersed. The art direction is perfect as well, the world feels real in a sense. Lighting is amazing, right through the weather effects and day night cycles, sound is also perfect from the wind blowing in the mountains to a creature attacking from behind making you jump out of your skin.

I can see how some people may find combat too hard, if you simply charge in you need to be skilled up, which you can do but it takes time. Witcher 2 forces you to think about combat, you need to develop tactics and these vary from situation to situation. Personally as I've levelled up and chosen my skill path I've been able to develop my own style of play and this depth has made combat a really rewarding experience. There's always a risk of getting wiped out and it makes fights really visceral. Excellent finishing moves are also worth a mention here, should be in every game.

What else, quests are complex and some of the best I've seen, story branching forces you to make tough choices. Crafting actually feels like its something you want to do and tends to be a challenge. The humour is great, runs super smooth with no crashes or bugs in general.

Definitely a strong game of the year candidate.
  36. Jul 31, 2011
    The original Witcher is possibly the best game i have ever played. It had everything you could want or ask. Witcher 2 to me is a bit of letdown. First the positives. The game graphics are beautiful , the story is great and the music is incredible. Now the negatives. The controls are wonky as hell, i just started to get used to them and the game finished. Game length is i think 1/4 of theThe original Witcher is possibly the best game i have ever played. It had everything you could want or ask. Witcher 2 to me is a bit of letdown. First the positives. The game graphics are beautiful , the story is great and the music is incredible. Now the negatives. The controls are wonky as hell, i just started to get used to them and the game finished. Game length is i think 1/4 of the size of the original. There are many choices to make which promotes replays but i was so shocked it was over i couldn't muster the will to start again. I got it on release and there where many bugs and crashes which were very frustrating because i could not completely immerse myself in the world because i was thinking it would crash any minute. In saying that CD Project are well known for there post release fixes so i hope that is sorted. Bottom line is that i was looking forward to this game for several years and for me it was over in 10 hours. For an FPS that is small but for an RPG it is almost criminal. That ontop of the constant crashes and lack of real control of the character i can only give it a disappointing 5/10 Expand
  37. Oct 16, 2011
    No game is flawless. But longtime PC gamers know that some games capture your heart and embed themselves in your memory forever. This is one of those games. A giant wall-of-text post would do no service (seriously Metacritic, you can't implement paragraph breaks ?). Suffice to say that if you want to experience a sophisticated, complex, beautifully realized world with fantastic sideNo game is flawless. But longtime PC gamers know that some games capture your heart and embed themselves in your memory forever. This is one of those games. A giant wall-of-text post would do no service (seriously Metacritic, you can't implement paragraph breaks ?). Suffice to say that if you want to experience a sophisticated, complex, beautifully realized world with fantastic side stories, voice acting, companions, and intrigue (with heavy allegory on the pitfalls of racism and nationalism), you simply cannot do better than to buy this game. As an additional treat, if you happen to have 3D Vision and a rig to power the Ubersampling option (GTX 580 SLI), then you will be blown away by the visual experience. Since the texture quality, detail, and animation is so fantastic, seeing folks go about their business in the world in 3D lends the game an unbelievably natural look. The downsides are that the game does end just when disparate story elements are finally brought into focus (though even this is marvelously handled) and that it's hard to keep track of all the political players without referring to spoiler-heavy Wiki info. But that cannot even begin to mar the wonderful experience. Expand
  38. Oct 25, 2013
    probably the best game i have played in years. everything is above par and this game literally made me think other game si used to like are garabage.....looking at u dragon age and
  39. Sep 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best RPG game ever made. Easily tops Dragon Age and Oblivion, combined, even. The story is compelling and handles things in a serious and realistic tone. The graphics are top of the line and the combat system is everything you would ever want in terms of melee fighting. Other games like Two Worlds II have a similar system, but no where near as fluid and immerse as Witcher 2. The ending leaves much to be desired as there really isn't a payoff and no sense of closure is anywhere to be found. Expand
  40. Sep 25, 2011
    Great story, graphics, and game play, but not as memorable as the first one. The cut scenes were nicely done to build the story but the npc character's relationships with Geralt and their personalities never really developed, and were often ambiguous. Thus, i rarely cared too much about them when i went in hoping for more adventure with my good friends. The fighting is fun but lessGreat story, graphics, and game play, but not as memorable as the first one. The cut scenes were nicely done to build the story but the npc character's relationships with Geralt and their personalities never really developed, and were often ambiguous. Thus, i rarely cared too much about them when i went in hoping for more adventure with my good friends. The fighting is fun but less visceral and immersive than The Witcher 1. Expand
  41. Nov 16, 2011
    A simply stunning RPG, the story is brilliant with multiple paths to choose from that have a large effect on the storyline. Voice acting is superb, the characters are very well designed, they have a very realistic feel about their personalities. The graphics are fantastic when turned up to high, the world looks incredible. Great combat system, great level of difficulty. There is around 40A simply stunning RPG, the story is brilliant with multiple paths to choose from that have a large effect on the storyline. Voice acting is superb, the characters are very well designed, they have a very realistic feel about their personalities. The graphics are fantastic when turned up to high, the world looks incredible. Great combat system, great level of difficulty. There is around 40 hours of gameplay here to be had on one playthrough, but if you enjoy it as much as i did you will want to play through for the other storylines. Expand
  42. Nov 20, 2011
    First of the game was overestimated due to lack of any other RPG till its release in this year. The story is moderate. The world is so enclosed and tiny (It takes 10 - 15 hours of playing to finish the main quest with some side ones). Graphics is amazing but the engine has no physics (it's for sure not Frostbite). There is little amount of gear and other stuff in this game. Fight withFirst of the game was overestimated due to lack of any other RPG till its release in this year. The story is moderate. The world is so enclosed and tiny (It takes 10 - 15 hours of playing to finish the main quest with some side ones). Graphics is amazing but the engine has no physics (it's for sure not Frostbite). There is little amount of gear and other stuff in this game. Fight with monsters is shovel, with no strategy (high difficulty). The game is not for real RPG fun.
    Any positives... ehm.. mentioned graphics, good dialogs and in some moments its really interesting. But is is no for sure for 10.
  43. Jan 26, 2012
    This game has the most beautiful graphics, a splendid and compelling story-line with hard choices that forces you to think and act maturely as well as flawed characters and protagonists that are reflective of the real world and how we live. The combat mechanics are really fun but the boss battles are extremely tough.This game should really be experienced for those seeking a really greatThis game has the most beautiful graphics, a splendid and compelling story-line with hard choices that forces you to think and act maturely as well as flawed characters and protagonists that are reflective of the real world and how we live. The combat mechanics are really fun but the boss battles are extremely tough.This game should really be experienced for those seeking a really great action-rpg. Expand
  44. Jun 27, 2013
    Excellent graphics, excellent gameplay, compelling story. It just hurts when you are a gamer with so many games and you can't put the time into a game that truly deserves it to fully comprehend and control.
  45. Feb 6, 2013
    BioWare, Bethesda and all other RPG devs take notice. This is how you do RPGs. The story is fantastically written, the combat is raw, intuitive and weighted, the characters are interesting and exciting, the world is by far the most beautiful I've ever encountered and... I could talk for weeks about the positives in this game because there simply are no negatives. It epitomises everythingBioWare, Bethesda and all other RPG devs take notice. This is how you do RPGs. The story is fantastically written, the combat is raw, intuitive and weighted, the characters are interesting and exciting, the world is by far the most beautiful I've ever encountered and... I could talk for weeks about the positives in this game because there simply are no negatives. It epitomises everything that games should be. A near perfect experience. Expand
  46. Jul 19, 2013
    Very pulpy fantasy-action game that won me over immediately. I believe it is, by quite a long way, the most beautiful game ever crafted for PC. Crysis 3 is more impressive on a technical level, but this game has so much heart and soul in the art design. It looks like every texture, model, crevasse, nook, and cranny of this game was painted and sculpted by hand! It is truly a sight toVery pulpy fantasy-action game that won me over immediately. I believe it is, by quite a long way, the most beautiful game ever crafted for PC. Crysis 3 is more impressive on a technical level, but this game has so much heart and soul in the art design. It looks like every texture, model, crevasse, nook, and cranny of this game was painted and sculpted by hand! It is truly a sight to behold.

The story will keep you locked in for days on and and there is a huge amount of replay-ability considering the amount of choices the game allows you to make. Also, CD Projekt Red treats its players and the PC gaming community with respect and honesty. That's a tough combination to find these days.
  47. Feb 7, 2013
    Best RPG ever made love CD Projekt so much they take so much care about their games.Tell me witch studio gives you so much bonuses in box for standart price,they patch game so long after date of release,give you FREE DLC !!!,gives you extra electronic copy on gog.com,have bonuses in standart version and even thanks you that your bought copy of their game.About game W2 is so good,they haveBest RPG ever made love CD Projekt so much they take so much care about their games.Tell me witch studio gives you so much bonuses in box for standart price,they patch game so long after date of release,give you FREE DLC !!!,gives you extra electronic copy on gog.com,have bonuses in standart version and even thanks you that your bought copy of their game.About game W2 is so good,they have best storytelling,choices are so hard a was shocked about what i did,combat system is hard but challanging,missions are differend and always fun and the MUSIC.There is so much awsome about this game that i could write till the morning but i wanna to say this "Carry on CD Projekt,you are doing excelent job and i am lookin forward to Witcher 3 Expand
  48. Jun 9, 2013
    its an alright game if you don't have the "enhanced" edition its pretty good. theirs allot of annoying glitch and you have to wait for "combat" mode to turn off. its quiet irritable for opening doors or collecting items. combat targing is dodgy, loading screens can be depressing and relase between swings to your doging can lag up alot and cause death.. other then all that plot graphicsits an alright game if you don't have the "enhanced" edition its pretty good. theirs allot of annoying glitch and you have to wait for "combat" mode to turn off. its quiet irritable for opening doors or collecting items. combat targing is dodgy, loading screens can be depressing and relase between swings to your doging can lag up alot and cause death.. other then all that plot graphics and characters were amazing Expand
  49. Sep 14, 2013
    A great RPG, with mature non-linear story, interesting characters and stunning graphics and soundtrack.
    It's a must for every RPG fan that likes his games to have a good story, likes the grim fantasy world and likes his choices to make a difference.
    Witcher's issues are seriously minor, combat is more tactical than hack&slashy, and personally I had ever issue with the inventory system.
    Overall, a very good game, that seriously kicks arse of other RPGs on the market.
    A newcomer to the series may be a bit lost but if what I wrote sounds interesting to you go ahead and buy it. And a disclaimer it's not a game for kids.
  50. Dec 2, 2013
    Game is fantastic! It is awesome, gorgeous and brilliant. One of the best RPG's I have played. Definitely Game of the Year 2011. It just could be a little bit longer.
  51. i0n
    Sep 4, 2013
    In itself this is a solid title, but for obvious reasons it's difficult to avoid comparisons with the first game of the series. While you could certainly argue with merit that some issues from the first game have been improved upon, I found the overall experience to be significantly less rewarding than the original. Simply doesn't have the depth of the original, and some of the gameplayIn itself this is a solid title, but for obvious reasons it's difficult to avoid comparisons with the first game of the series. While you could certainly argue with merit that some issues from the first game have been improved upon, I found the overall experience to be significantly less rewarding than the original. Simply doesn't have the depth of the original, and some of the gameplay mechanics have taken a turn for the worse rather than being an improvement. Playing a game should not be a chore. Expand
  52. Jan 15, 2014
    Terrible combat system, boring dialogues, exploration very limited, bad level design, mediocre music, bad inventory system, nice sound effects. The quality of the character models is mixed, in particular womens, the ones that counts, have no charisma and are predictable (like top models). Everything in the game is sub-par, except the graphics (nice models and textures, but boring anyway)Terrible combat system, boring dialogues, exploration very limited, bad level design, mediocre music, bad inventory system, nice sound effects. The quality of the character models is mixed, in particular womens, the ones that counts, have no charisma and are predictable (like top models). Everything in the game is sub-par, except the graphics (nice models and textures, but boring anyway) and the skill system that seems good enough. It's propably a game developed with a simpleton userbase in mind, even if some riddles are just a pain in the... The game is stressing in everything, combat system, game design, level design. It just put stress on the player. I would not recommend it to anyone except simpletons who need virtual sex, a darkish anti-hero, profanities and boobs. It's far far away from Skyrim or Mass Effect even if it tends to copy them in multiple ways (but with abysmal results). Expand
  53. May 26, 2014
    Im fan of first person shooters and i dont like games like this, BUT Witcher 2 is amazing, i cant stop playing! Lot of quests, interesting story (very good storytelling) , beautiful graphic and good fight system. For example how good this game is, I play 10 hours consistently on first launch.
  54. Oct 3, 2015
    I just completed The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition after nearly a year of my very slow play-through. I have to say, this is one of the greatest video games I've ever played. Story-wise, gameplay-wise, and graphics-wise. Projekt-red, for all I know have only made games based on "The Witcher", meaning that they have been a small company compared to that of Ubisoft, Blizzard, Bethesda, etc. IfI just completed The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition after nearly a year of my very slow play-through. I have to say, this is one of the greatest video games I've ever played. Story-wise, gameplay-wise, and graphics-wise. Projekt-red, for all I know have only made games based on "The Witcher", meaning that they have been a small company compared to that of Ubisoft, Blizzard, Bethesda, etc. If this video game's cost exceeds $40-50 USD, it's well worth it. There's plenty of action, story, sex, drugs and rock&roll for anyone 13+, I'd say, to enjoy. I'll not appoint any spoilers, but if you fancy an awesome story in a game, this is one of your go-to's. I'm about to begin The Witcher (1) and see how it goes! I wish I could afford a new generation console to play The Wild Hunt, but that's not happening for a bit. Expand
  55. May 19, 2015
    Great successor to the first game of the series. TW2 greatly improves where TW1 was lacking some polish, and still manages to tell you a great, involving story with meaningful choices and consequences. I mean - half of the game is completely different (Act 2) depending on who you choose to side with. That's huge.
    And the graphics. For me it is still one of the best looking cRPGs, even
    And the graphics. For me it is still one of the best looking cRPGs, even after 4 years from the release date.
    Combat system is very good, and demanding. A lot of people bash it for not being dumbed down, but if you're up for a challenge, it'll be a big plus for you.
  56. Nov 9, 2015
    Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings may or may not be your kind of game. While it is labeled as an RPG, I think is a good action game with some RPG elements

The graphics are impressive, detailed and surpass that of RPGs like Skyrim. The animations are well done and characters have more personality. The world is immersive and feels alive. Lighting does also a good job. Sound: this area, I

Sound: this area, I believe is one of the key features. Voice actors do a great job, the music is great, the environment is alive with people, animals, water etc. In combat, the sound is also very impressive; you feel you are in the middle of it.

The story is not mind-blowing but good enough to keep you playing. To tell the truth I have not read the books and perhaps that would help to enjoy the game story more.

Gameplay: for an RPG (or an action RPG for that matter), I find the game a bit restricting. You are Geralt, the protagonist; you have to stick with the character. Yes, you can choose to use magic and swords; you can use alchemy, you can improve your stats as you level up. However, to me, an RPG is about the character I want to create with its strengths and flaws. Then you can describe this game as an action RPG, but even in games like Diablo or Path of Exile you can build up your character the way you want with multiple paths of progression.

The Witcher is more like a story driven semi-RPG, with a well told story through NPCs, visions and memory flashbacks from Geralt (cliché memory loss RPG style). Anyway, you find interesting characters like Roche, Triss and the nemesis of Geralt, another Witcher who is a king slayer. Yes, the story revolves around you as Geralt hunting down the king-slayer, who killed the king you were supposed to protect, and in the process you were framed for the murder.

Combat is the focus of this game and, to me, who is more used to TES games, I find the combat hard but dynamic. It’s an action RPG and therefore combat is the strength of the game. Nevertheless, sometimes I found that using the sings were not responsive as I would have liked. If you played Diablo or Path of Exile you may know what I mean, powers and magic should be very responsive, especially when confronting lots of enemies at once. This does not matter if you play easy mode, but in harder difficulties things can get a bit messy.

When in combat you should be careful to avoid being surrounded. Geralt performs rolls to evade incoming hits and they will help you to survive multiple enemies at once or attacks from powerful bosses. Timing your attacks is also key to hit opponents at the right time to do damage. When blocking you have also the chance to counterattack and deal more damage.

Alchemy is a hit and miss. You can make potions by collecting various ingredients in the world (plants and defeated monsters for instance). However, the game does not "tell" you when to drink potions. You should anticipate combat to drink potions, and since you have to meditate to drink potions (or prepare them) I feel it is a bit of an immersion breaking. It may be a "realistic" thing that you have to drink potions before battle and not during a fight.

Even though the world is impressive in terms of graphics, sound and immersion, you are not free to explore it. You are confined to the story-driven scenario. You will find multiple invisible walls.

And then you have the damn quick time events. Fistfight, arm-wrestling are the QTE “mini-games”. Even in boss fights you have to rely on QTEs.

All in all the Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an enjoyable action game with some roleplaying mechanics. To me, Is more an action game than an RPG. You do not actually role-play, you play as Geralt. The world is not free to explore. The roleplaying element is basically in the way you response to certain scripted situations and dialogues. You make decisions and explore a bit when and where the game wants, not when you want. Even combat happens when the game sets up the scene, you do not go and look for a fight.

So, yes, Witcher 2 is a good and enjoyable action hack and slash game, but if you want an RPG (or an action RPG game for that matter) with the full meaning of it, you won’t find it here.
  57. May 17, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPG I've ever played! It is a game with incredible historical depth, with rich graphics, and a nonlinear story. If you like RPG for adults, meaning that you do not feel that you are taken for idiots, and if you like mature story, then this game is for you. It is beautiful in every sense of the term.
  58. Jun 17, 2011
    Just finished the game (on Hard setting). Ok... I wanted to love this game, my hopes were high throughout the prologue but then realized it just wasn't to be. First, the graphics are downright beautiful... more-so static than in motion as the game is plagued by horrid texture pop-in regardless of settings and a high-end gpu, at least for myself and quite a few others. Shrubs and rocks willJust finished the game (on Hard setting). Ok... I wanted to love this game, my hopes were high throughout the prologue but then realized it just wasn't to be. First, the graphics are downright beautiful... more-so static than in motion as the game is plagued by horrid texture pop-in regardless of settings and a high-end gpu, at least for myself and quite a few others. Shrubs and rocks will change size when you are within 5 feet of them - understandable for consoles but not for current gpus. Now... the story... The game is divided into 3 chapters. It is extremely political (more than The Witcher 1) and may be unsatisfying to some people. I found it rather dry, but not horrid. I would have preferred less of the medieval political intrigue and more character development along with a more fantasy/mythological outlook, but I suppose they were trying to keep in context to the books... Now, the combat... I didn't hate it but I didn't like it. I found the first Witcher game to have a more satisfying combat system with the role timing played in it. The Witcher 2 took away the timing as well as the group, fast and strong styles, opting for a simple parry system (which I very very rarely used in the game) and the steel sword/ silver sword combo along with magic. The main problem in my view is the balance. I spent 95% of my time using the same strategy for EVERY enemy, and not because I didn't want to experiment but because everything else took much longer and just didn't work as well. It worked like this - use Quen (guard spell that basically makes you invincible for a few seconds), dodge, attack and kill with sword. You have 3 paths you can take for development - Magic, Swordplay, and Alchemy. I first went for magic, but when realizing how pathetic a fully upgraded fire spell was compared to the sword I lost interest. Now for the alchemy - the game has made this quite a chore in my opinion. You can no longer use potions at anytime. You must use them BEFORE battle. And every time it requires an animation scene that definitely could have been shortened. Because of this I never used potions. Let me reiterate - even on Hard combat requires nothing more than what I mentioned before. Also, for some reason they decided to take away storage. You will be spending a lot of time with too much weight on your hands and will try to decide what you need to keep and throw away/or sell. Some might like this but I didn't not find it enjoyable. Now... the environments. I found them to be beautiful but they felt very limited. The witcher cannot swim. He cannot jump. This isn't open-world. Therefore everything seemed rather linear to me. The environments are nice but not nice enough to prevent you from getting tired of them after doing more than a few quests through them - my main gripe of the first witcher. There isn't much interaction with the environment other than lighting and unlighting fires. The NPCs say the same things constantly regardless of time of day often, and as the chapters progress they seem to say less and less. The diffictultiy... starts off pretty difficult on hard but by the 2nd chapter is pretty easy. I found the ending to be quite unsatisfactory as well, but I won't spoil anything. Expand
  59. Apz
    May 17, 2011
    Game looks absolutely fantastic. Dialogue is immersive and well written. m_stannard is a gelatinous, buttperturbed jackass who is super mad DA2 sucked dick.
  60. May 18, 2011
    Ignore the scores you see on metacritic giving 0 theye are from competing games employees and in no way are sincere or reflect this awesome game!...am not going to say much other than this game is the best RPG i have ever played its so polished and immersive its hard to spot the odd flaw or blemish....This game msut surely raise the bar for others to follow...all games should be likeIgnore the scores you see on metacritic giving 0 theye are from competing games employees and in no way are sincere or reflect this awesome game!...am not going to say much other than this game is the best RPG i have ever played its so polished and immersive its hard to spot the odd flaw or blemish....This game msut surely raise the bar for others to follow...all games should be like this...well done to the polish team who developed it and shame on those sad people abusing metacritics user ratings system to try to downgrade this in favour of their own companies games..

I see one previously confirmed BioWare employee gave Dragon Age Origins 2 a 10/10...yet he gives this game 0..... It is a shame to see this happen.....MAKE NO MISTAKE FOLKS THIS GAME IS AWESOME!!!!...
  61. Jul 1, 2011
    This game is the best game to come out in 2011. The good: Graphics are amazing, Voice acting is very good, Storyline is very intriguing. The bad - who am I kidding? nothing is bad in this game!
  62. Dec 15, 2011
    This is without a doubt my pick for "Game of the Year." Gameplay, dialogue, and characters are all incredibly deep, and the decisions you make have a profound impact on the remainder of the game. Any negative points I could add would be nothing more than nitpicking.
  63. May 23, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings raises the bar for fantasy RPGs so high that I doubt any game, other than The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, will ever come close to touching it. The graphics are the best I have ever seen - blowing Crysis away - which helps make the world feel more real and instantly sucks you in to the experience. I won't spoil any story related points but while the endingThe Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings raises the bar for fantasy RPGs so high that I doubt any game, other than The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, will ever come close to touching it. The graphics are the best I have ever seen - blowing Crysis away - which helps make the world feel more real and instantly sucks you in to the experience. I won't spoil any story related points but while the ending is underwhelming the ride is absolutely worth it. The combat is vastly improved from the original, the animations are spot on, and the voice acting is top notch. All of this is capped off with an incredible soundtrack that really helps to set the tone of every experience in the game. This is a definite game of the year contender and I can't wait to see what CD Project RED does next. 10/10

----------
    The one warning I will give players who are looking into getting The Witcher 2 is: make SURE your PC is far beyond the recommended settings to fully enjoy the game. As of right now I can barely run the game at an acceptable frame rate with most graphics settings on high + AA on (out of: low/medium/high/ultra) and my PC's specs are: GeForce GTS 450, 3.0GHz quad core processor, and 8gb of DDR3 ram with the most recent drivers installed. The graphics still look amazing on high but my PC's specs are far beyond the recommended and should be able to run the game at a higher graphic fidelity (in my opinion). I don't believe CD Project RED did a good enough job optimizing the game. Now, if you are on the fence and are unsure whether or not you should get it because of your PCs specs, CD Project RED has addressed the performance issues people are having and has stated that they will release a patch this week that should improve performance for most users which depending on how effective it is could make a big difference on who I would recommend this game to. But as of right now if you have a PC with specs slightly above minimum I would hold off and getting this game and would wait until the next time you upgrade so you can fully enjoy it. That's my only complaint though. -----------
  64. May 30, 2011
    This is the best RPG I've played in a long time. With respect to game play mechanics, they fixed many aspects of combat that I didn't care for in W1, improved crafting, and made resting less of a chore. Where the Witcher 2 really stands out, however, is in the time taken to setup the story, introduce characters, and develop a connection to the player. Your character is faced with a numberThis is the best RPG I've played in a long time. With respect to game play mechanics, they fixed many aspects of combat that I didn't care for in W1, improved crafting, and made resting less of a chore. Where the Witcher 2 really stands out, however, is in the time taken to setup the story, introduce characters, and develop a connection to the player. Your character is faced with a number of interesting decisions which tend to entirely avoid what has become the traditional 'kick puppy / hug puppy' syndrome in many modern RPGs. Instead, the player is forced to make tough decisions, often without having all necessary information. As a result there were points throughout the game where I was genuinely conflicted about who to side with or which character to let live. This makes for a great gaming experience and leaves a lot of room for additional playthroughs. Finally, the graphics are great. The game shows that it is indeed possible to have excellent visuals while still providing a superb story and exciting game play. All in all definitely GOTY material and I hope its success helps to push certain other developers back toward producing quality games instead of focusing solely on quarterly profits. Expand
  65. Olf
    Jun 9, 2011
    Well made game. Game play is very difficult, and choices you make actually make some semblance of a difference....as opposed to Dragon Age 2. I really feel not only was this game an improvement on the original, but a good look at how RPGs of the future should be with high re-playability.
  66. Jun 1, 2011
    One might think a critic's score of 88 (current) wouldn't be something to complain about, but once you've played The Witcher 2, you'll realize it is. .
    The Witcher 2, if fairly scored, would easily be in the mid 90's, if not higher. .
    Unfortunately, you have a professional troll in the Destructoid's 60 score, an idiot in the case of ActionTrip, who even admits on their own forums the game was underscored, and The Escapist, a site that not only scored the abysmal Dragon Age 2 *higher*, but said that horrible game is, "What videogames are meant to be". .
    TW2 is a strong contender for GOTY. I'd score this game an 11 is the site allowed it.
  67. Jul 14, 2012
    As good as RPG games get PERIOD. Anyone who says otherwise either has a sub-par rig or is a severely butt-hurt Biodrone.

Also, it actually pushes tech. REAL gamers who invest in their hobby can look to TW2 to fully utilize their superior hardware.
  68. May 17, 2011
    *No crappy DRM
    *Free DLCs
    *No "item" nonsense that comes with preorders and childish games played to get orders.
    *Actual content
    *Digital Collector's Edition for 45 U.S. dollars compared to other games that charge $60+

On top of all that this is a great game. I wouldn't call it GOTY yet because there are many great games coming out in 2011, but it should be up there in the running.
  69. Jun 3, 2011
    This game is short of flaws. As soon as it's picked up, it pulls you in. Immense story. Great characters. Amazing enviroment. Slightly linear, but easily overlooked. Definite contender for GOTY.
  70. May 21, 2011
    Wonderful Action RPG with an amazing story, and available DRM free. But, marred by clumsy controls, a somewhat poor inventory screen, and high graphical system requirements.
  71. May 21, 2011
    This game takes the crown of the RPG genre for being the best RPG released in the last 10 years of gaming. The Witcher 2 assassinates all of its genre-rivals with ease.

I finished this game after 30 hours of gameplay and never had a dull moment, never needed to grind and always was on important and eventful quests full of plot twists and surprises. If you are a fan of western RPGs you need to buy this. This is how you do a sequel !
  72. Sep 10, 2013
    This is most likely to be the worst rpg ever made.

This is most likely to be the worst rpg ever made.

The original concept of witcher is gone game looks like a freak'd up doom 1 and whole combat system destroyed. I wonder how is it that both Bioware and Red managed to screw up their best looking rpg games in the history of gaming. I mean for example Baldur's Gate was a perfect game which then was continued same style to Baldur's Gate 2 and that was MAKING gaming history while same company managed then to screw up both Baldur's Gate franchise and after again making a perfect rpg like Dragon Age they yet again manager to screw it up by the dlc and next Dragon Age 2 which I would rate even less than 0 if I could.

Exact above happens here Witcher was nearly a perfect role-playing game where as Witcher 2 is complete waste of time with idiotic development decisions made by simply keeping old name story and trying to develop completely new while there was never anything wrong with the old with exception of "We want to sell our product to consoles" which literally means that game sucks 9 ways to sun down every time I hear that. Those words alone means no top down NOT AN RPG.. It's an Gothic with new wrap and we all know how that was.

I would like to grant this title even 1 point but even the engine optimization is so damn bad I simply don't want to.
  73. May 23, 2011
    Far above and beyond any recent RPGs in almost all categories. The graphics are amazing, it runs very well, the story and character designs are amazing. However, the game is not without faults. While the combat seems somewhat mediocre, the glitches that accompany random parts of the game are frustrating at times. Looting can become a chore when you spend a minute trying to angle yourFar above and beyond any recent RPGs in almost all categories. The graphics are amazing, it runs very well, the story and character designs are amazing. However, the game is not without faults. While the combat seems somewhat mediocre, the glitches that accompany random parts of the game are frustrating at times. Looting can become a chore when you spend a minute trying to angle your camera right and walk around in circles mashing left click, only to realize you won't be able to loot it because of a future quest, or because its glitched. If you enjoyed the story/theme of the first game, this is a no brainer and must be picked up asap. If you enjoy RPGs, you will most likely enjoy this title at full price. Expand
  74. May 19, 2011
    The best game I have ever had the pleasure of playing in 14 years of gaming, hands down, nothing else even comes close.

CDPR poured their hearts and souls into this game and it really shows, the atmosphere and story are completely unmatched by anything else in the entire gaming industry, this is truly a fine example of why some games can be considered art. They could of made the game a

They could of made the game a quarter as good as it is and it still would of sold just as many copies and gotten rave reviews, but they kept on going and made it even better.

Finally, a developer that cares about the game they are making.. feels like I'm ten years in the past.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, the best game you can ever have the pleasure of buying.
  75. May 18, 2011
    Witcher 2 is probabyl the best RPG for any newcomer to this genre for being a game that challenges you as an adult. As an action/adventure player, my first foray into RPGs has been the mass effect series which I liked. I did play the witcher 1 but quickly got overrun by the excruciating details and frankly uninteresting standard stat based RPG combat. Same to do with mass effect 1. ME2 gotWitcher 2 is probabyl the best RPG for any newcomer to this genre for being a game that challenges you as an adult. As an action/adventure player, my first foray into RPGs has been the mass effect series which I liked. I did play the witcher 1 but quickly got overrun by the excruciating details and frankly uninteresting standard stat based RPG combat. Same to do with mass effect 1. ME2 got it right with nice action elements. With that, I went into DA2 without prior playing of DA1. But DA2 felt very tedious and just got boring. I finished the game, but wasn't too satisfied with the presentation and mechanics. It felt like a standard RPG. Witcher 2 on the other hand is unique. Never have I been challenged soo much in combat being a veteran action/adventure gamer (DMC3/4, GOW123, Darksiders..player). The combat is intense...satisfying. The graphics are if I may say, the BEST in this generation. The art direction is fantastic and the game reeks of polish.
    CDProject have outdone themselves and set a new bar for action RPGs. I only hope that the game reaches its full potential and rewards them with adequate sales and recognition. Congratulations CDprojekt for a spectacular masterpiece.

BTW...shame on you bioware for bashing CDprojekt.
  76. Jun 5, 2011
    Finally, a game that does not hold your hand but forces you to interact with the created world to survive. I love this game. Fantastic graphics, great story and characters, great combat. If your computer can handle it, buy this gem. Game devs need to learn from this title...this is how you get players to explore and appreciate the created world: you make them figure stuff out as theyFinally, a game that does not hold your hand but forces you to interact with the created world to survive. I love this game. Fantastic graphics, great story and characters, great combat. If your computer can handle it, buy this gem. Game devs need to learn from this title...this is how you get players to explore and appreciate the created world: you make them figure stuff out as they go. Props to CDProjeckt, you have created a truly fantastic game. This is kinda like Monster Hunter Freedom, also a great game, but far better graphics, controls, and world. It has that same sense of masculinity and intelligence that American game devs think todays gamers cant handle. 10 out of 10, and truly one of the best games ever made. Expand
  77. May 17, 2011
    THE GAME IS AMAZING !! The atmosphere, The combat and The Story are just perfect ! I didn't expect for to much of this game, It was also gifted to me but wow it blowed me away ! Just buy it you dont need to know anything else
  78. May 17, 2011
    The best game what I've ever played! If you like RPG, you must buy it! I don't know why fanboys of DA2 are rating this epic game down. Someday CD Project will be great company!!! :)
  79. May 18, 2011
    Im a gamer with a 20 years of experience and I have to say that Witcher 2 is amazing! One of the best RPG's ever created. Great story, great combat mechanics It runs smooth on my old laptop. Dragon Age 2 is a joke compared to Witcher 2 and after BioWare employees gave so many zeros to Witcher I will never buy any game from this studio ever again.
  80. May 18, 2011
    This game is a classic. People who are posting zeroes should just calm down. There's no way that bioware employees would be posting those marks. More like overzealous bioware fans who are threatened. This game deserves a complete 10. It's the best game i've played since oblivion, and dare I say it, baldur's gate. I get the distinct feeling that bethesda are playing this game rightThis game is a classic. People who are posting zeroes should just calm down. There's no way that bioware employees would be posting those marks. More like overzealous bioware fans who are threatened. This game deserves a complete 10. It's the best game i've played since oblivion, and dare I say it, baldur's gate. I get the distinct feeling that bethesda are playing this game right now and todd howard just said "new release date for skyrim folks...12/12/12" :) Expand
  81. May 18, 2011
    Truly a candidate for the GOTY 2011. Awesomely written dialogues, breath taking visuals and music and also really good combat. The story itself is deep, immersive, mature and, personally, I love some of the Geralt's sarcastic jokes. The first Witcher was awesome and this one is even better. The only minus I would say is the problem with GFX drivers (needed 275 beta driver off nVidia inTruly a candidate for the GOTY 2011. Awesomely written dialogues, breath taking visuals and music and also really good combat. The story itself is deep, immersive, mature and, personally, I love some of the Geralt's sarcastic jokes. The first Witcher was awesome and this one is even better. The only minus I would say is the problem with GFX drivers (needed 275 beta driver off nVidia in order to run the game... but nothing serious). As a Sapkowski fan I recommend this game to anyone who loves RPG genre.

After a big disappointment with Dragon Age 2, this game put DA:O of the RPG throne for me.
  82. May 21, 2011
    Brilliant game just like the original The Witcher, After the disappointment of Dragon Age 2, i was losing hope in RPG but still hoping on The Witcher 2 and Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

The Witcher 2 have restored some faith, if you have an high end computing system, i highly recommend it! Now wanting to play The Witcher 3 or an expansion, and loving Triss Merigold (Was their really a choice in

Now wanting to play The Witcher 3 or an expansion, and loving Triss Merigold (Was their really a choice in the game, i wont spoil), for future games Triss > Yennifer...

Great game, now waiting for 11/11/11 for Skyrim and news about future developments of the witcher.
  83. May 22, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an absolutely incredible game, with nearly every aspect surpassing the first game. While the combat is vastly superior to the previous game, there are still issues, primarily with targeting and difficulty ramping. These minor flaws do not however distract from the overall game, including it's incredible story that is probably the best from any game since Baldur's Gate 2 orThe Witcher 2 is an absolutely incredible game, with nearly every aspect surpassing the first game. While the combat is vastly superior to the previous game, there are still issues, primarily with targeting and difficulty ramping. These minor flaws do not however distract from the overall game, including it's incredible story that is probably the best from any game since Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape :Torment. The game is a definite contender for Game of the Year and so far at least, has absolutely no competition. As for performance - I am using a Nvidia 470GT with the May 17 beta drivers, everything but Ubersampling turned on max the frame rate is at a stable 60 with minimal stuttering during area loads. Expand
  84. May 23, 2011
    Excellent game, worth the money + they really pushed the boat out with basic hard copy extras! Well done guys keep it up! cant wait for the witcher 3. lol @ how well the boobs and vagina have been textured, obviously very well researched! On a side note, love how they have used the northern irish accent! good too see that we are rubbing off on the polish that come to live/visit here!
  85. Jun 6, 2011
    Well, this game is the best fantasy crpg I've played since, I don't know, possibly even Baldur's Gate. Every single aspect of the game is well thought out, you can almost feel the game developers' love which they poured into their creation. Memorable characters and monsters, amazing story, best graphics I've seen (I don't even think this is an exaggeration), rewarding and dynamic combatWell, this game is the best fantasy crpg I've played since, I don't know, possibly even Baldur's Gate. Every single aspect of the game is well thought out, you can almost feel the game developers' love which they poured into their creation. Memorable characters and monsters, amazing story, best graphics I've seen (I don't even think this is an exaggeration), rewarding and dynamic combat system, nice music and voicework. And most of all - loads of fun, games are supposed to be fun and this one is overflowing with fun. I really have to think hard of things I would improve - maybe some menus that are hard to get used to, that's it I guess. I would recommend it to anyone who is mature enough to appreciate what the game brings. And none other crpg brings more. Expand
  86. Jun 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Graphics are great, voice acting is good, storyline's good and it's actually challenging (a definite plus) - really, this should be "the greatest RPG of 2011" ... but it's not, sorry. The game is flawed; CD Projekt Red have made some definitely strange decisions with The Witcher 2. First off, potions - a Witcher without potions is hardly a Witcher - and yet now you can't quick-slot them, you have to meditate before combat to drink your potions... definitely a bad move. Quick Time Events (QTE) - really, leave these on the consoles - tap X, now Y, now Z ... sorry, W, A or S. What? I wanted a game, not a movie with a random reaction test to occasionally hit a key. Oh, and it doesn't matter what level you are, mis-time hitting that key and you're dead. And boss fights? Really? This isn't Sonic the Hedgehog where I'd expect to bounce off the head of Doctor Robotnik at the end of every level - this is supposed to be a mature RPG. If you're going to do "boss fights" you have to do them well (like in say Metal Gear Solid 4) where you've generally got at least a couple of ways to achieve your goal - the Witcher 2 does them badly; they generally run to the effect of - drop you in an inescapable room with a badass monster/NPC and let you die repeatedly until you've worked out which particular tactics you're supposed to use to win... you must dodge 30 insta-death attacks until you tire the monster enough to whip a pink tutu over its head so that it dies of embarrassment - or something.

OK - general monster mashing combat has been improved since the original Witcher - there's a lot more dodging and bomb chucking required to excel - you can't just wade into a huge mob of drowners and occasionally click a button to win. The graphics, sound and all the shiny, shiny are streets ahead of anything similar - it blows Dragon Age 2 out of the water... but the gameplay; to be honest, it doesn't actually play as well as the original Witcher. The prologue for instance - playing "dodge the dragon" is just rubbish - "oh, we've arbitrarily changed the camera angle so that instead of pressing W to run forward you now need to press A to run down the screen..." - and for what purpose - to give you another pointless reaction test.

Then there's the "what the hell am I supposed to do now factor" ... take the Kayran fight in Act 1 for instance. Right I've chopped off the tentacles and it's dropped a bridge on its head... now what? Oh, I see, I'm supposed to randomly run up some fallen masonry and throw a magical bomb that I don't actually have into its open gullet? Seriously?

At least they've fixed the "Invert Mouse" and key bindings options now - otherwise I'd have only given it a 6. Still, I suspect if I was playing this game on the XBoX I'd have been much more impressed - on the PC I'm getting a distinct feeling of "crap, they've consolised another great game and borked it on the PC".
  87. Jun 20, 2011
    great game - story line really seemed meaningful (made you think b4 u decided and great story branches for replay value etc), you developed some great connections with the NPCs ingame, the graphics and overall atmosphere was pretty cool. Combat mechanics probably the weakest point - while good didn't quite hold its excitement towards the end of the game (cast quen - whack some bad guys -great game - story line really seemed meaningful (made you think b4 u decided and great story branches for replay value etc), you developed some great connections with the NPCs ingame, the graphics and overall atmosphere was pretty cool. Combat mechanics probably the weakest point - while good didn't quite hold its excitement towards the end of the game (cast quen - whack some bad guys - cast quen again - whack some more bad guys etc). Expand
  88. Jul 7, 2011
    This second part of The Witcher is not what it looks like. If you loved the first part, then run away from this 3rd Person Action Game with some light touches of RPG. It is exactly the same unfortunate story that previously happened with Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2. Although they used the same name followed by a 2, the gameplay is completely different. It is not a pure RPG, so ifThis second part of The Witcher is not what it looks like. If you loved the first part, then run away from this 3rd Person Action Game with some light touches of RPG. It is exactly the same unfortunate story that previously happened with Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2. Although they used the same name followed by a 2, the gameplay is completely different. It is not a pure RPG, so if like me this was what you were looking for, then you'll be disappointed (and with less money in your purse!). Expand
  89. Aug 5, 2011
    A great example of how to make an engaging fun and epic roleplaying game. Bioware should take notes...
    The graphics are outstanding. The combat is fun. It is more real time hack and slash (as opposed to "tactical" with pause and issue orders). The crafting system is similar to all the other games: mix ingredients and get a potion or item.
    The quest and story are engaging. Even

The quest and story are engaging. Even the cut scenes are great. Over all it has a cinematic feel to it.
  90. Aug 21, 2011
    It's one of the best RPG I've ever played.Graphics,characthers and story is amazing!Alchemy and crafting are very useful.There are a lot of things that you can do.
  91. Aug 29, 2011
    I loved the original Witcher game so much I looked forward to this sequel for years. I have tried many times to complete the game just to see where the story goes, but I just can't get into it. What a beautiful game! No complaints about the story. They changed so much and provided so little help I feel frustrated and lost almost all the time. I have seen a lot of games become harderI loved the original Witcher game so much I looked forward to this sequel for years. I have tried many times to complete the game just to see where the story goes, but I just can't get into it. What a beautiful game! No complaints about the story. They changed so much and provided so little help I feel frustrated and lost almost all the time. I have seen a lot of games become harder to beat lately. I think this is to make them appeal to FPS players. My feeling is they went too far on this one. Why didn't their beta testers warn them? Expand
  92. Aug 29, 2011
    This is an extremely nice game. If you are into a good story and want to think a little bit and enjoy good graphics, this is a game for you. You can see that the guys from Poland still remember what an enjoyable and challenging game should look like.
  93. Aug 31, 2011
    An absolutely fantastic action/rpg. For fans of Bioware games who miss the RPG elements that were stripped away in Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. The game has a literary feel because it is based on a book and its characters are absorbing. The graphics are gorgeous and the sound effects perfect. I recommend playing The Witcher first so you are caught up on characters and can see howAn absolutely fantastic action/rpg. For fans of Bioware games who miss the RPG elements that were stripped away in Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. The game has a literary feel because it is based on a book and its characters are absorbing. The graphics are gorgeous and the sound effects perfect. I recommend playing The Witcher first so you are caught up on characters and can see how flawlessly CDProjekt took what made the 1st game great and made it even better. Expand
  94. Feb 26, 2012
    Best game of 2011. Combat is meh, but this game isn't about combat. It's about amazing story with moral choices. Usually you can do either bad, or worse choice. Love it.
  95. Mar 7, 2012
    An absolutely fantastic game, one of the best RPG's I've played; period. The story is crisp and easy to follow while still grabbing the player and will leave them wondering what will unfold in the story. It is also one of the few RPG's I've seen where player choice really impacts the game, with whole new area's to be seen (Or unseen) depending on player choices. That being said the gameAn absolutely fantastic game, one of the best RPG's I've played; period. The story is crisp and easy to follow while still grabbing the player and will leave them wondering what will unfold in the story. It is also one of the few RPG's I've seen where player choice really impacts the game, with whole new area's to be seen (Or unseen) depending on player choices. That being said the game does have some flaws, I felt like it was frustratingly difficult to block, because of the limit on it, as well as some minor bits where the difficulty fluctuates wildly between fights. The romance options in the story are tasteful and never forced, and the characters are all wonderfully voice acted, especially Roche. Add in the fact that CD Projekt RED is releasing 4 more hours of game play to a part of the game the players liked the most is what bumps this game up beyond the norm. It's really worth getting, especially with how often it goes on sale for under 15 dollars. Expand
  96. Apr 17, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is GOTY 2011 for me. Incredible graphics, dynamic storyline with different outcomes depending on your choices, diverse gameplay and great replayablity. Also, CD Projekt RED offers fantastic support.
  97. Jun 3, 2013
    The best game I have played in quites some time. I enjoyed the story and played both sides of the second chapter. The graphics are superb and the combat while difficult in the beginning was very fun. I also enjoyed the adult themes. The only knock is the abysmal inventory, other than that its a must play for all gamers.
  98. Mar 31, 2013
    There are often fanboy flame wars over whether Skyrim or Dark Souls is better. The majority of them have never played this game. Great Fluid combat that makes you think, an interesting and beautiful world to explore, and a smart interesting story that doesn't shy away from violence and sexuality. Truly one greatest RPG's I've ever played.
  99. Dec 31, 2012
    The good: It's pretty.
    The good: It's pretty.
    The bad: Pretty much the rest of the game. Poor controls (non-customizable, feels like a bad Xbox port) no open world, you can't jump?, interface is bad, NOT an RPG, combat is horribly clunky, no replayability... really, very poorly done. I honestly bet the mod community could write a "witcher" mod and have it done in half the time, on 0 budget, and have it play 2000% better.

It get's 1 pt from me for the graphics, but nothing else.
  100. Jan 24, 2014
    This is definitely the best RPG that currently exists. The story, the combat, the enviroment, the graphics and the characters are all perfect. I can't wait for The Witcher 3.
  101. Jun 2, 2011
    The first game in years to make my PC beg for mercy is also one of the finest examples of action Role Playing ever created. From the very start, The Witcher 2 just oozes atmosphere and finally brings back the true RPG experience from yesteryear. Yes, it can be challenging though not on simple 1 dimensional level , challenge comes in many forms not just from combat, you also are submittedThe first game in years to make my PC beg for mercy is also one of the finest examples of action Role Playing ever created. From the very start, The Witcher 2 just oozes atmosphere and finally brings back the true RPG experience from yesteryear. Yes, it can be challenging though not on simple 1 dimensional level , challenge comes in many forms not just from combat, you also are submitted to difficult choices and then experience the aftermath of your actions.

Don't expect any hand Holding - This is not an interactive movie disguised as an RPG.

Ever notice why some of these low ranking reviews only contain press release screenshots? Me too.....

1. Pelit (Finland)