8.5

1. May 26, 2011
    Unlike nearly all fantasy RPG's, this one actually has depth to it's story, depth that i have yet to see in ANY other RPG, why? First of all, it manages to recreate a truely authentic feeling medieval game world, where the land is governed not by your own status as a "hero", but by the kings that rule over them, and your merely just a warrior trying to help along with many others. Not toUnlike nearly all fantasy RPG's, this one actually has depth to it's story, depth that i have yet to see in ANY other RPG, why? First of all, it manages to recreate a truely authentic feeling medieval game world, where the land is governed not by your own status as a "hero", but by the kings that rule over them, and your merely just a warrior trying to help along with many others. Not to mention it doesn't carry the fanciful "kiddy" aspects of rpg's such as cut elvish women dual wielding blades while wearing armor that covers less then a quarter of their body, this game takes itself very seriously while also squeezing in some small moments of comedy which helps to diversify the atmosphere and create even more depth. The combat has been majorly upgraded as well, the magic system has been improved so it flows far more fluidly with more intuitive controls allowing for easier and quicker use. Sword-play has been polished and is now smoother then in the original game, allowing for easier encounters with enemies. If you think this game is hard, your not a gamer, simple as that, you may think it's punishing, but there are far more punishing games then this, this game requires a tactically sound mind and quick thinking. Dialogue and NPC character animation are superb, you can see the heart put into each simple little movement such as walking or drinking, each animation finely done to feel realistic and human, with characters speaking in ways which suit them and don't spout over-pretentious monologues which get boring and slow down the gameplay AND the story. (im looking at you Assassins Creed and Metal Gear Solid) I look forward to much more coming from this great polish developer, as they definitely have seemed to of learned from their mistakes in the past. Their future continues to look bright. Expand
  2. May 17, 2011
    Best RPG since Mass Effect 2 but graphically the best looking game I've ever seen really worth the money even tho TW2 only costs 23£!!! Epic deal get it !!!!
  3. May 27, 2011
    As one of those dissapointed with DA2 i aproached the Witcher 2 with caution, however i neednt have feared because the game is quite simply stunning! For reference, i enjoyed the Witcher 1 after they released the re-done sound. I thought the combat was lacking but the story and atmosphere from Chapter 2 onwards were good enough that i didnt mid the short comings so much. The Witcher 2 isAs one of those dissapointed with DA2 i aproached the Witcher 2 with caution, however i neednt have feared because the game is quite simply stunning! For reference, i enjoyed the Witcher 1 after they released the re-done sound. I thought the combat was lacking but the story and atmosphere from Chapter 2 onwards were good enough that i didnt mid the short comings so much. The Witcher 2 is an improvement in almost everyway. First of all, one of the things everyone is talking about are the graphics. They are probably some of the best graphics currently available. Every moving tree and nasty beasty look exactly as they are supposed to with beautiful design. The attention to detail doesnt stop there though. The game is brought to life by a substantial amount of things going on in the background from soldiers groaning about their lot in life to whores selling their services. From the first moment you really get drawn in. The combat is improved by a long way but perhaps not mastered yet. The delay in reaction time can get frustration and the game does really punish you for getting it wrong, that is until you upgrade. Talking of upgrading, the game manages character development fairly well. There arent the amount of options i usually prefer in RPG;s but they do make a difference and you really feel as if your character is improving through out the game. The storyline is well crafted and well told with only a few average voiceovers to marr its tale. All of the quests, sidequests included are fun and engaging and no two are the same. There will be no fetch quests in this game. The adult nature of the game is done in a much more tasteful way this itme and you wont feel offended by the gameb ut instead just take it for granted that the way they present the world is the way it is. In other words, the adult aspects dont stand out like a sore thumb like they did in the Witcher 1.

There are a few problems however. For one there is the doors. They are akward to navigate and in a minor way, kill the immersion when you have to locate the correct point to stand to open them, and even then only one person can go through at the itme, often shutting the door in your companions face. The jumping points suffer from the same problem. The ending is less the satisfying but does its job but you can forgive that by the way all your choices throughout the game mold it until you are quite literally playing in the world you chose. To the point where the entire second chapter is different depending on your choices in the first chapter.

This is a fine example of how an action RPG should be made, its perhaps not as deep as the rpgs of old, but it certainly handsdown beats its competition. I highly reccomend this game.
  4. May 20, 2011
    What can you expect from the game: a fantasy world that feels real, living and breathing. Stunning visuals, awesome voice acting, quite challenging (if you set it on normal or above) combat. Good involving story that changes so big time you will replay it at least once. Also this is a mature game that really treats you as a mature adult and not an American teenager who has to be protectedWhat can you expect from the game: a fantasy world that feels real, living and breathing. Stunning visuals, awesome voice acting, quite challenging (if you set it on normal or above) combat. Good involving story that changes so big time you will replay it at least once. Also this is a mature game that really treats you as a mature adult and not an American teenager who has to be protected from life. The only disadvantage I can mention are small glitches (omg the dooooors), nothing game breaking, but some part feels a bit less polished (including the last chapter). They promised FREE DLCs to even it out. It is a bit hard to adapt how the combat works, but if you actually read it up from the manual it is not hard to catch up. The game itself never freeze for me even once and runs smoothly with high graphics (I consider my i5, NV GF460 average).
    After how messed up DA2 was I was actually afraid that the RPG genre is dead, but I am VERY happy I pre-ordered it after all. This game is easily the best RPG game since the planescape torment! I really hope BW will learn from them, because this is the way to go.
  5. Apr 26, 2012
    amazing story, awesome graphics and developers are not scared to show some nudity! It is a very mature game with a lot of potential. everything was made with love...Bravo devs...
  6. Oct 10, 2013
    A decent game with interesting gameplay; however not something that really sucked me in. Something about not being able to pick up an enchanted flaming sword and interesting new piece of armour that I could never get my head around, I'm a bit old fashioned that way.
  7. Jan 4, 2013
    Story: 9 --- What makes the Witcher 2's story so interesting is it's multiple paths. I have played through the game six times and there are 16 endings. Each one is detectably different but there are really only four major endings. The story is well-written and interesting but not particularly unpredictable. --- Visuals: 10 --- This is a pretty game, a very pretty game and the visualStory: 9 --- What makes the Witcher 2's story so interesting is it's multiple paths. I have played through the game six times and there are 16 endings. Each one is detectably different but there are really only four major endings. The story is well-written and interesting but not particularly unpredictable. --- Visuals: 10 --- This is a pretty game, a very pretty game and the visual splendor is most clearly emphasized when it matters - during the many cutscenes. --- Sound: 8: The music is great but very repetitive. The VO is fantastic in most cases though. What strikes me most is that when music is important it is there and when silence is more important than music, you will have it too. --- Combat: 8 --- The combat in the Witcher 2 beats its predecessor hands down. But it isn't perfect and shows it's clumsiness in certain parts of the game, especially when in confined spaces. --- Fun Factor: 8 --- This game is very fun to play game (fun enough to play through six times). The reason I give it an 8 instead of a 9 is because it is too short in the mouth and too long in the knee. That is at certain spots the side quests feel drawn-out and not that interesting. --- Overall: 9 --- Actually an 8.6 but I rounded up. With a great story, beautiful cinematic vibe and solid all-around playing experience, this game is well worth the $30. Expand
  8. Jul 7, 2014
    Out of my limited selection, this is my favorite RPG game. It plays very similar to Skyrim - but comes out slightly ahead. While Skyrim has a better combat system and more content, The Witcher 2 gives you a much more meaningful story combined with colorful graphics, beautiful cities and good cinematics.
    For those who couldn't handle the p.o.s controls in TW1, The Witcher 2 gives a great recap of the previous title.
  9. Jun 22, 2011
    Easily one of the best RPGs of this past decade, and what firmly rams it into such an elite category is the fact that it is a real RPG. Your choices have real impacts on the story - many developers claim this with it amounting to little in real terms but in this case, decisions are pivotal to AoK and how the story pans out. I've completed the game, but i haven't even played one half of it.Easily one of the best RPGs of this past decade, and what firmly rams it into such an elite category is the fact that it is a real RPG. Your choices have real impacts on the story - many developers claim this with it amounting to little in real terms but in this case, decisions are pivotal to AoK and how the story pans out. I've completed the game, but i haven't even played one half of it. That's because certain choices lead you to side one way or another a third into the game, which gives you an entirely different side of the story and shapes how the rest of your game will play out and what you'll be doing in your game. You're practically getting two games rolled into one, but the choices don't end there as there are roughly 8 different endings for each side, and all the choices you make throughout your playthrough will give you a different experience and story leading up to those endings. Such a system in what has become a stale genre catering for drooling buffoons is incredibly refreshing and something RPG fans of olde have been longing for. There's no good and bad system in making those decisions either, another plague of the genre being forced upon us elsewhere, but simply choices which lead to concequences, concequences which might turn out favorable or not, but there's no right or wrong. This all nods to the story telling which has endless (note: may not be endless) amount of plot twists and turns, always leaving you pondering over decisions, trying to decide if you're really making the wisest choice. The story has great depth to it, more so than any game for a long time or that I can remember without casting my mind back to the dungeon crawlers of yester-year. It can get slightly overwhelming at times and feel like characters and place names are being vomited all over you and you're expected to know who said what to who and where, leaving you to try and comprehend what has just been said - but that's accepted with open arms and glee when you know that the story hasn't been watered down for simpletons, and you see for yourself just how much detail they've gone to with the writing. It's like an interactive novel, apart from you're not just interacting, you're shaping and of course getting to play out all the action instead of imagining it. The plot here puts other RPGs of similar stature such as Mass Effect (one of my favorite series) to shame and makes that look like a childs toy in comparison. Especially when you come to the grittiness and darkness presented here. They've held back on nothing and the end result shows, not only in adult humour and content, but the plot benefits too. I've seen people complaining about the complexity of the combat, but this ties into the game not holding your hand or becoming a one button fest like so many others. The one problem I did have was between the difficulty settings, and finding I had to moderate them myself to keep the game challenging and even then it wasn't too hard. At the start a few fairly easy mobs will have you eating dirt, but later on in the game, even the supposedly hardest mobs are no match once you've mastered the combat, have some skills, items and decent gear behind you. You'll easily be finding yourself at the reload screen during certain fights if you wade in, but if you play it cool then no fight should be a problem and you can drop most enemies fairly quickly, so I feel balancing does need some work but it's no game-breaker. There's enough items to keep you interested in the loot and make it a rewarding experience, especially the crafting but managing your inventory can become tiresome and if like me, you care about getting the most out of your loot, will result in several slow treks to and from vendors - however there are mods out to solve this problem, so on my second playthrough I'll be using one of these. The attribute and skill system is very nice, and no path seems to be the prevalent path which gives you a good amount of freedom to shape your character for your playstyle or try new abilities for multiple playthroughs. A gripe of mine was not having a respec option, one only being available to you if you've made specific choices - which I hadn't. Every player should be given the oppurtunity to respec as otherwise it can lead to sometimes frustrating experiences, so choose your abilities wisely. The fact you have to drink potions before a fight, not always knowing when you're about to fight is an appalling oversight and I don't see why they changed it from the first game. Act 2 was a little dissapointing with linear areas and a plot then became flat, but it picks up again at the end of the chapter. The craft system is excellent and there's so many craftable items that you can try for an entirely different variety of tools at your disposal each playthrough. AoK is truly unique in its atmosphere and style. It's earned it's place as one of my favorite games of all time. Expand
  10. Jun 11, 2011
    I liked the game, but after playing it through once, I have not been able to muster up enough interest to play it through again. The balance is off. Combat in the early part, especially for the side quests in Flotsam are ridiculously hard, while the boss fights and combat in the later chapters is too easy.
  11. May 27, 2011
    If you're willing to invest in a game, if you are willing to get sucked in and truly engage with an RPG, this is the game for you. People who have scored this game low, either critics or users, have as main negative points:
    -bugs (very few that are now fixed with the patch)
    -bugs (very few that are now fixed with the patch)
    -difficulty in battles (that's one of the games biggest strengths for people who want a challenging strategic battle instead of a button-mash)
    -Bad UI (I'll give them a little point there - it's not bad, but could be better)

So please ignore them, and support a game developer that is truly passionate about creating quality games.
  12. May 19, 2011
    A truly amazing game. Unlike some other RPGs that hold your hand throughout and have terrible acting and writing (Dragon Age 2 I'm looking at you) this game actually feels like an RPG should. Your actions effect the game, your previous actions aren't retcon'd, and the game has a wonderful sense of freedom to it. If you're looking for an awesome modern RPG look no further.
  13. May 19, 2011
    Amazing game, while it's quite difficult at the start due to confusing tutorials the entire game is breathtaking. Possibly one of the best RPGs ever made.
  14. May 29, 2011
    The Witcher 2 might just be the best fantasy game I've ever played. The graphics and presentation in general, from the voice acting to the soundtrack are all top notch, and the questing is greatly improved over the first game and far better than many other fantasy games that make up for a lack of imagination with lots of repetition (Dragon Age 2 in particular). The combat is also far moreThe Witcher 2 might just be the best fantasy game I've ever played. The graphics and presentation in general, from the voice acting to the soundtrack are all top notch, and the questing is greatly improved over the first game and far better than many other fantasy games that make up for a lack of imagination with lots of repetition (Dragon Age 2 in particular). The combat is also far more active than many fantasy RPGs, with a perfect level of difficulty on the normal setting that keeps combat tense and exciting for the 30+ hour adventure, and the multiple playthroughs that follow. But the obvious highlight of the game is the story, which is far more mature than many other supposedly "dark" videogame stories. Filled with memorable characters, awesome epic battles, lots of political intrigue as well as an incredible number of morally ambiguous choices to make that will greatly affect how the game unfolds, the story in TW2 is one of the best stories in a videogame ever, only slightly surpassing that of Dragon Age 2 thanks to the fact that all the story elements in TW2 are connected to the overarching plot, unlike DA2, which felt more like 3 separate stories all meshed together. Overall, TW2 is simply an amazing game and a serious contender for GOTY. It's got beauty, action, story and lots of replay value, and it should not be missed by anyone who values a good story-driven action RPG, or just a great game in general. Expand
  15. May 27, 2011
    I won't go into plot details to avoid spoilers. Let's just say the story is mature (political intrigue, racism, etc.). There is no corny white vs. black decisions, and the decisions you do make WILL impact your gaming experience. The story, like the game overall, is immersive.

INCREDIBLY IMMERSIVE. The graphics are stellar, not only the best of any RPG that I've seen, but any game

INCREDIBLY IMMERSIVE.

The graphics are stellar, not only the best of any RPG that I've seen, but any game period. They are that good.

The combat takes some getting used to. I personally found using an XBOX controller superior to using a keyboard and mouse. To some, this may scream streamlining for consoles. Believe me, that's not the case. We had controllers for the PC long before game consoles appeared. You will find it challenging in the early going even on easy. You will get your butt kicked.

Which is good.

Lately it seems even nightmare and hard levels are too easily conquered (see Dragon Age). For me, that takes away the satsifaction of playing a game. There must be challenge, and here, oh boy, there is.

The best feature of the Witcher 2 isn't singular. This is an incredible game. It is evolutionary, challenging, beautiful, dark and immersive doesn't cover how much it will suck you into the world of Geralt.

If you buy one game this year or even in the next ten, buy this one. It is a masterpiece (and that's something I've never said about ANY game).
  16. Jun 4, 2011
    Let's look at this game for what it is and try and dispel a few unworthy comparisons; firstly for the newcomers to the Witcher series, yes I think it does help if you've played the first one - one of the better decision based RPGs (where small decision mattered and could affect gameplay) and no, it didn't copy DA:O -- it was 2 years before, weâ
  17. Oct 18, 2011
    Absolutely fantastic and my personal favourite for the GOTY-title.
    The world is rich, voice-acting is perfect, facial animations are great and the combat is fun and fluid, though not really challenging. What is challenging, is the choices you have to make which will change the game-world decisively.
    One of the rare games I care to pick up twice to see more of it.
  18. Jul 2, 2011
    This definitely is Game of the Year 2011. The single best RPG I have played since Planescape: Torment. The characters are deep and complex, the storyline develops depending on your actions and choices. It takes what was good from every single RPG released in the last 15 years and makes it into something better. The graphics are simply the best ever seen in an RPG
  19. Nov 20, 2011
    Follow suit other game developers/publishers! Releasing games DRM free rather then including intrusive rubbish such as Steamworks or Securom that punish customers is a great way to get people supporting your games and company.
  20. Dec 7, 2012
    A pretty good RPG. The story, music, and graphics are all top-notch--I had goosebumps for literally minutes after the ending. Decisions have real consequences that aren't always apparent, making this much more like a real story than any other RPG out there. The gameplay, however, is a bit clunky. Combat is weightless and hollow, and while the creature design is amazing, few enemies comeA pretty good RPG. The story, music, and graphics are all top-notch--I had goosebumps for literally minutes after the ending. Decisions have real consequences that aren't always apparent, making this much more like a real story than any other RPG out there. The gameplay, however, is a bit clunky. Combat is weightless and hollow, and while the creature design is amazing, few enemies come down to anything other than "slash-dodge-slash-dodge". Moreover, the minigames are shallow and truly quite pointless. So while the game is definitely worth a buy, just go in treating it more like a gorgeous, interactive novel than a normal video game. Expand
  21. Dec 30, 2012
    The best game of 2011 (IMO) and also one of the greatest RPG's of all time, I fail to pinpoint some major flaw. Everything here is top notch: story, characters, graphics, gameplay, sound, you name it.
    The ONLY problem with the game is that it ends, leaving you wanting for more.
  22. Jun 13, 2014
    an awesome story driven RPG with great character development which makes us wanna love the characters. every action we take has a consequence. the gameplay is effective with and an enhanced difficulty which makes us want to prepare beforehand .the crafting system is also equally good and the visuals is mesmerizing .
  23. Aug 9, 2013
    It is extremely refreshing to see an RPG game that wasn't created by Blizzard or Bethesda. I found Witcher 2's combat system frustrating at times and the inventory UI sucks on the same level as Dead Space 3's but the game's story more than makes up for the below average UI. This is what story driven RPG's should be all about. Classic, tried and tested gameplay mechanics can be criticizedIt is extremely refreshing to see an RPG game that wasn't created by Blizzard or Bethesda. I found Witcher 2's combat system frustrating at times and the inventory UI sucks on the same level as Dead Space 3's but the game's story more than makes up for the below average UI. This is what story driven RPG's should be all about. Classic, tried and tested gameplay mechanics can be criticized for lack of ingenuity, but that isn't what Witcher2 is all about. I cannot stress HOW IMMERSED I WAS WITH THE CHARACTERS while I was playing the game. For example, I doubt that I am the first and only gamer to have fallen in love with Triss Merigold and I doubt that I will be the last. To sweeten the story, Witcher2 makes references to pop culture themes such as game of Thrones, Monty Python/WC3 (tiss only a flesh wound quote), and Lord of the Rings. These subtle additions make the gameplay all the more enjoyable in a dark and well thought out plot. The only downside to playing this game is that I was reading game of thrones at the same time and the combination of the two stories has led me to believe that human nature is a dark, twisted, and bloody corridor filled with people trying to sell you their brother's kidneys.

TL;DR: some bugs but great story and great game.
  24. Aug 13, 2016
    Overrated. Is a simple Action/ Hack'n'Slas sold as an RPG, mistakenly. Too often frustrating, nice quests, but nothing intriguing, beautiful main story, but remains just that, in the midst of a thousand cutscenes. Just sufficient.
  25. Mar 11, 2014
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings has the best plot which I have ever experience in game. It is based on Polish books series by Andrzej Sapkowski, named The Witcher. In this game we can admire phenomenal graphics, in my opinion it is better than any other RPG. The amazing soundtrack fits the game setting. Gameplay is perfectly pleasant. The game has highly expended upgrade system. TheThe Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings has the best plot which I have ever experience in game. It is based on Polish books series by Andrzej Sapkowski, named The Witcher. In this game we can admire phenomenal graphics, in my opinion it is better than any other RPG. The amazing soundtrack fits the game setting. Gameplay is perfectly pleasant. The game has highly expended upgrade system. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is incredibly excellent. I definitely recommend this unbelievable game. Expand
  26. Jun 16, 2016
    The Witcher 2 is a fantastic sequel to the first game and an overall great RPG.

This game has one of the most interesting stories I've seen. It will make question your own motives both as a player and as a person when confronted with the difficult choices the game presents you. The combat system has been completely remodelled resulting in more interesting and harder sword fights.
    The Witcher 2 is a fantastic sequel to the first game and an overall great RPG.

It has its flaws though, some rare glitches and the not so rare crash.

In spite of its minor issues I highly recommend any RPG fan to give The Witcher series a try :).
  27. Nov 9, 2015
    Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings may or may not be your kind of game. While it is labeled as an RPG, I think is a good action game with some RPG elements

The graphics are impressive, detailed and surpass that of RPGs like Skyrim. The animations are well done and characters have more personality. The world is immersive and feels alive. Lighting does also a good job. Sound: this area, I

Sound: this area, I believe is one of the key features. Voice actors do a great job, the music is great, the environment is alive with people, animals, water etc. In combat, the sound is also very impressive; you feel you are in the middle of it.

The story is not mind-blowing but good enough to keep you playing. To tell the truth I have not read the books and perhaps that would help to enjoy the game story more.

Gameplay: for an RPG (or an action RPG for that matter), I find the game a bit restricting. You are Geralt, the protagonist; you have to stick with the character. Yes, you can choose to use magic and swords; you can use alchemy, you can improve your stats as you level up. However, to me, an RPG is about the character I want to create with its strengths and flaws. Then you can describe this game as an action RPG, but even in games like Diablo or Path of Exile you can build up your character the way you want with multiple paths of progression.

The Witcher is more like a story driven semi-RPG, with a well told story through NPCs, visions and memory flashbacks from Geralt (cliché memory loss RPG style). Anyway, you find interesting characters like Roche, Triss and the nemesis of Geralt, another Witcher who is a king slayer. Yes, the story revolves around you as Geralt hunting down the king-slayer, who killed the king you were supposed to protect, and in the process you were framed for the murder.

Combat is the focus of this game and, to me, who is more used to TES games, I find the combat hard but dynamic. It’s an action RPG and therefore combat is the strength of the game. Nevertheless, sometimes I found that using the sings were not responsive as I would have liked. If you played Diablo or Path of Exile you may know what I mean, powers and magic should be very responsive, especially when confronting lots of enemies at once. This does not matter if you play easy mode, but in harder difficulties things can get a bit messy.

When in combat you should be careful to avoid being surrounded. Geralt performs rolls to evade incoming hits and they will help you to survive multiple enemies at once or attacks from powerful bosses. Timing your attacks is also key to hit opponents at the right time to do damage. When blocking you have also the chance to counterattack and deal more damage.

Alchemy is a hit and miss. You can make potions by collecting various ingredients in the world (plants and defeated monsters for instance). However, the game does not "tell" you when to drink potions. You should anticipate combat to drink potions, and since you have to meditate to drink potions (or prepare them) I feel it is a bit of an immersion breaking. It may be a "realistic" thing that you have to drink potions before battle and not during a fight.

Even though the world is impressive in terms of graphics, sound and immersion, you are not free to explore it. You are confined to the story-driven scenario. You will find multiple invisible walls.

And then you have the damn quick time events. Fistfight, arm-wrestling are the QTE “mini-games”. Even in boss fights you have to rely on QTEs.

All in all the Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an enjoyable action game with some roleplaying mechanics. To me, Is more an action game than an RPG. You do not actually role-play, you play as Geralt. The world is not free to explore. The roleplaying element is basically in the way you response to certain scripted situations and dialogues. You make decisions and explore a bit when and where the game wants, not when you want. Even combat happens when the game sets up the scene, you do not go and look for a fight.

So, yes, Witcher 2 is a good and enjoyable action hack and slash game, but if you want an RPG (or an action RPG game for that matter) with the full meaning of it, you won’t find it here.
  28. May 18, 2011
    Excellent Game. Excellent RPG.
    PC Power Hungry RPG too.

Graphics, Atmosphere, Ambiance..
    Improvement over the original in nearly all aspects: graphics, gameplay, combat.. Refined and tuned.. Surpasses the good first sequel..

So many things to do and so many places to explore.

Geralt is charming too. You play an interesting character.

People take notes. This is how PC Gaming should be.
  29. May 17, 2011
    I think this is the best looking game too!! I got everything maxed to uber settings, even after u select uber I selected Very large textures and another setting that I bumped higher then the uber default I am so proud at my rig and I love how gorgeous this game is!!! Outstanding!!! This game is way better then crysis 2, it's amazing!!

The Story and characters are even better then the

The Story and characters are even better then the graphics BEST GAME!!!!!
  30. Sep 11, 2011
    This game went the same direction as Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. RPG elements cut down to minimal, lots of sexual attractivity to lure the horny masses in front of the screen and a washed-up rest of what was a great game in Witcher 1. What a pity ..
  31. Oct 26, 2011
    Nice graphics. Deep combat system. A storyline that is heavily influenced by your choices, And an interesting but sometimes confusing plot. A good effort.
  32. Jul 15, 2013
    While original release had a lot of issues (basically everything apart from graphics and story was bad), now after some patches and Enhanced Edition release, a lot of that was fixed. Also recently released Full Combat Rebalance 2 official mod fixed a lot of the "laggy" user input, especially combat fights are way more dynamic. I strongly recommend having the game patched up to EE and FCR2While original release had a lot of issues (basically everything apart from graphics and story was bad), now after some patches and Enhanced Edition release, a lot of that was fixed. Also recently released Full Combat Rebalance 2 official mod fixed a lot of the "laggy" user input, especially combat fights are way more dynamic. I strongly recommend having the game patched up to EE and FCR2 installed for best gaming experience.

At this point the only reason this game does not score 10 are the QTE and cut scenes that are abused in way too many places, dumbing down the gameplay and making it feel like an interactive movie at times.

A solid 9 means that it's a great RPG at this point and there's no reason not to try it if you still haven't ($5 on Steam) before the third installment comes out.
  33. May 17, 2011
    Excellent game, and one of the best RPG experiences I've played since PS:Torment. Excellent graphics, with excellent story to hold you in. This is how you make a CRPG, if you were deeply disappointed with DA2, you won't be disappointed by this. I will say that the combat does have a bit of a learning curve, I regularly got my backside handed to me on normal. You won't get away withExcellent game, and one of the best RPG experiences I've played since PS:Torment. Excellent graphics, with excellent story to hold you in. This is how you make a CRPG, if you were deeply disappointed with DA2, you won't be disappointed by this. I will say that the combat does have a bit of a learning curve, I regularly got my backside handed to me on normal. You won't get away with simple hacking and slashing. A living world where your choices do make differences. Also, if you have any Witcher saves, you can import these. Which means I need to replay the Witcher again.

Even on my modest system(E5300, GTS450 w/4gb of ram), I can run this on high-ultra settings without much of a slowdown.
  34. May 21, 2011
    The game would have been pretty good (certainly not 10/10 that people are excitedly scoring) but it's just so incredibly rough around the edges. The game I will no doubt have these ironed out with mods and patches but I would suggest waiting for that time rather than a purchase now. And as for why only pretty good, the game has lost the atmosphere of the first game - crypts caves swampsThe game would have been pretty good (certainly not 10/10 that people are excitedly scoring) but it's just so incredibly rough around the edges. The game I will no doubt have these ironed out with mods and patches but I would suggest waiting for that time rather than a purchase now. And as for why only pretty good, the game has lost the atmosphere of the first game - crypts caves swamps forests - they don't feel intimidating places to be anymore. Expand
  35. Jul 18, 2011
    Finally I completed my second Witcher 2 playthrough. So now I feel like I am competent enough to review this game. Now the main marketing focus was the non-linear story, and that is what I would like to concentrate on. I feel like non-linearity in games is like choices in the matrix... as long as you have the illusion of choice, it is good... Now, do I feel, that the non-linearity in theFinally I completed my second Witcher 2 playthrough. So now I feel like I am competent enough to review this game. Now the main marketing focus was the non-linear story, and that is what I would like to concentrate on. I feel like non-linearity in games is like choices in the matrix... as long as you have the illusion of choice, it is good... Now, do I feel, that the non-linearity in the W2 lived up to it's hype? No.
    Do I believe, that this is the most Non-linear Game ever made (with nice graphics at least...)? Yes.
    The devs have been bragging about the 16 endings, now... does this really qualify as 16 endings? Let's go with a Mass Effect comparison: you have like 12 companions, each one can be (dis-)loyal at the end, each one can be disloyal and each one can die. Now ask your selfs: How many possible ending-scenarios would that be: more than 400 plus destroying collector base or not and you can double that number. So the final outcome of the Witchers Non-linearity is not THAT amazing and it comes down to who lived, who died. JUST as in Mass Effect 2, or is there more to it?
    Well there is more to it, because the game is not about the (over-hyped) endings. It is about the various ways your journey will go, to get you to the one ending with 16 variations. And that is the ground by which the Witcher 2 dethrones EVERYTHING that has come before it!
    BioWare games go like this:
    Go to location 1. Fight. Choose A or B.
    Go to location 2. Fight. Choose C or D.
    FINALE which is impacted by decisions from locations 1, 2. The End -with trillions different WRITTEN endings in DA:O -with 2 different animated endings in ME1 -with one ending in ME2
    Now, I am not saying this is bad. I love me a good BioWare game, loved all of them besides one... you know which. But: Enter the Witcher 2.
    You get to choose one of (OMG!) 2 different paths to get to the 1 ending (with 16 variations). Now that still does not sound very non-linear. Just two? Well, for one thing, THAT is already twice as much as any other BioWare game. Those paths are not just side missions, they completely change the location, the characters, the quests, the tone, it is COMPLETELY different. Playing it the second time around I felt like "touched for the very first time". OK, but let us get to the question no one asked. Are both paths equal... most comments I read, said the elven story is better and although both were engaging and fun I have to agree... if you choose to go with the Elves it seems there is simply much more to it. I recommend to play both paths, because they are both great. BUT the Elven story is definitely stronger in it's narrative!
    So in the end... is this the holy grail of non-linear RPG? No
    But it IS the closest thing anyone has come close to.
    Now the other thing: Save game import... Is it done great? Does it justify playing the earlier game just to get different starting scenarios?
    Well ask youself: DO YOU LIKE THE EARLIER GAME? If no... than you might miss out most in the Mass Effect franchise. If we are talking about Dragon Age the import is really under-utilized here. The Witcher is somewhere between those 2, closer to the DA. The save game import is not really a very sophisticated function and it really needs to grow.
    OK let's talk about sex!
    I am sorry I am comapring this so much to BW, but BW is my favorit company, so I know their games. In both ME and DA the sex seemed more explicit in the first ones, then in their sequels. The Witcher goes the other way... is it better because of it?
    I have heard praises as wall as critiques, here is my take on this:
    The sex cards were a stupid concept... but well executed. The soft-porn scenes are a better concept... but they are not that well executed. The voices, the sounds, the whole audio in them seems badly done. The editing is not exactly top. But I support sex in games. Best sex scene ? ME1 then Heavy Rain then The Witcher2!
    OK, so lets cut to the basics, and lets get to the end of this. The Witcher 2 has lots of bugs, which annoy, but do not destroy the it!
    The Witcher 2 has 2 big patches which make the above statement just 40% true!
    The Witcher 2 gets free DLC with every patch!
    The Witcher 2 has great combat,
    The Witcher 2 has one hell of a great story, which seems to really find it's ending in the next Witcher... or the one after that...
    The Witcher 2 is simply one great game and I accomplished not to
    mention up to now the beautiful locations and all around graphics...
    Is this the official dethronement of Bioware? No.
    Is this the official dethronement of Dragon Age? No. Dragon Age committed
    suicide in my opinion...
    This is just another top notch RPG... and we do not get many of them! So
    buy it... play it! And than buy all Dragon Ages... and than go buy Mass
    Effects... And Deus Ex... and Elder Scrolls... and Fallouts... (although I never liked the last two... ahh well.. here comes Skyrim, will give it a chance) RPG needs to live! It needs you to buy it! In all its forms!
  36. May 21, 2011
    Contender for GOTY 2011 and best RPG to come in a long while the Witcher 2 has a deep mature storyline that actually significantly alters depending on the decisions made offering replay value and a sense of making an actual impact on its world. Combat is actually interesting and not dumbed down for the console kiddies but some may find it a bit too hard at the beginning but hey a littleContender for GOTY 2011 and best RPG to come in a long while the Witcher 2 has a deep mature storyline that actually significantly alters depending on the decisions made offering replay value and a sense of making an actual impact on its world. Combat is actually interesting and not dumbed down for the console kiddies but some may find it a bit too hard at the beginning but hey a little challenge is always good so top marks for that. Graphics are top notch and on my average system it plays satisfactorily. Not a title to be missed surely especially coming from a developer that actually tries to cater to its fans. Expand
  37. Nov 21, 2011
    I wish DragonAge 2 had been more like this one. A compelling story, lots of content and areas to explore. The soundtrack I found to be wonderful. I'm really hoping we get some downloadable content for this game because I'd like to come back to it.
  38. Nov 11, 2011
    Game is nice, for sure not a masterpiece as a whole.
    graphics are great , even thou on my i7 with a gtx560 i can't run them fully.
    Story is interesting and you can play the game twice (or even 3 times), but no more. what i didn't like: -instanced maps, you see that road?, fine now that you've seen it go back to what you were "paid" to go -console "press X" mechanics, wanna hit that big
    Game is nice, for sure not a masterpiece as a whole.
    graphics are great , even thou on my i7 with a gtx560 i can't run them fully.
    what i didn't like:
    -console "press X" mechanics, wanna hit that big baddie? click B..swirl swirl now click B again
    -console inventory, how the hell you'r goin to find something in your backpack is a miracle
    -stupid potions, drink now you never know what you might face tomorrow..you drank the wrong one? haha silly witchy
    -fighting animations, i don't like playin the role of a pale monkey swirling and jumpin around while weavin a stick at big guys
  39. Nov 26, 2011
    I'm playing it again and again. The best RPG ever. Beatufiull world from polish writer books - Andrzej Sapkowski's. Great graphic, dialogues and story from polish CD Projekt RED. Very good sequel and there's 100% support from developers of game, free DLC's and free patches (2.0 that gives special content from stores extended edition). Big and deserved 10.
  40. Mar 23, 2014
    The Witcher 2 is a very strong RPG with so-so aspects.

The Witcher 2 is a very strong RPG with so-so aspects.

The combat ranges from decent to mediocre with nice looking animations and a strong variety of enemies. However the animations can be too extravagant making the "quick attack" not as quick thanks to the stylish sword spinning, so instead of planting attacks immediately on an enemy, you're waiting for the animation to finish. The lack of strafe and back peddling hurt the combat too, making movement feel sloppy.

Enemy AI is bad, their attacks barely differ from run at you and swing, and if you stray just a little too far from your opponents they will give up. I tested this on all difficulties and found no difference.

The difficulty is another issue, I have no issue with brutal difficulty but the load times which occur at game over make it unbearable to die. For this reason I found myself on easy half the time to avoid these load screens altogether. It doesn't help that there's no achievements for higher difficulties either, so if you merely want that challenging aspect of weak vitality then go for it, but I recommend steering clear.

The story is pretty good, the characters are interesting and the general arch is intriguing. More often than not you will find yourself confused at what is happening in the mish-mash of politics, luckily the journal is fantastic. The journal simplifies every aspect of the story to a couple of paragraphs, making it easier to get the lore down-pat. What's also great is how the story will drastically change depending on what decisions you make, upping the replay-ability.

The graphics are the strongest aspect of the game. Frame-rate rarely drops on the 360 version and the environments are entirely hand crafted with detailed textures. That may sound like a very general description, but in action the game is absolutely beautiful. The soundtrack isn't very memorable and the loop is short for most tracks, so you may find yourself getting tired of the repetition.

Despite the issues, I had a great time with the game. If you're a fan of fantasy then you must look into The Witcher 2.
  41. Jan 11, 2014
    a must play. do yourself the favor now. if u like rpgs like elder scrolls or dragon age. or just love medieval fantasy, its a no brainer.

simply put, expect the quality to be of a bioware product b4 ea took over them.
  42. May 13, 2016
    I feel like this game doesn't get nearly enough love. Is it perfect? No. Does it feel like a short bridge between Witcher 1 and Witcher 3? Yes. But it is a thoroughly enjoyable experience. If you like Witcher 3's story. Buy this. It still looks amazing, despite coming out in 2011. It's just a good game. Not a masterpiece like the Witcher 3, but a great game that you will probably spend aI feel like this game doesn't get nearly enough love. Is it perfect? No. Does it feel like a short bridge between Witcher 1 and Witcher 3? Yes. But it is a thoroughly enjoyable experience. If you like Witcher 3's story. Buy this. It still looks amazing, despite coming out in 2011. It's just a good game. Not a masterpiece like the Witcher 3, but a great game that you will probably spend a good time enjoying. Plus it's practically two games in one because one decision you make in the game changes nearly all the quests in the second chapter. Damn good stuff! Expand
  43. Nov 16, 2014
    This game contains too many dialogues, cinematic and readings that sometimes you do not know what you have to do until you read it again. Poor instruction of the game and gameplay. UI is confusing. Controls are poor. Combat is terrible, unless you like ROLLING and ROLLONG all the time.
    I do not recommend this game if you are not fun of RPG games and you don't care about the controls and combat.
  44. May 25, 2011
    At first, I was disappointed a little bit, because some major mechanics of the game are entirely different. I loved the realistic inventory system of Witcher 1, that's gone completely. But that's not a big issue, we get a more traditional RPG inventory system now. It may use some tweaks however, and I'm sure they'll be delivered with the future patches. Combat is totally different. IAt first, I was disappointed a little bit, because some major mechanics of the game are entirely different. I loved the realistic inventory system of Witcher 1, that's gone completely. But that's not a big issue, we get a more traditional RPG inventory system now. It may use some tweaks however, and I'm sure they'll be delivered with the future patches. Combat is totally different. I always wanted more games like God of War, Batman: AA, or Darksiders on PC, because of their combat mechanics, and Witcher 2 delivers that. You need practice however, and higher difficulties punish the players if not careful, especially Insane; you cannot load your saves if you die. Hardcore mode so to speak. Really enjoying the combat mechanics.

Graphics are the best I've ever seen, and I've played other games that support DX11 and so on. I just can't believe this is a DX9 game. However, many players experience FPS problems with high-end PCs, but that's not entirely their fault, as AMD and NVidia are working on hotfixes to address the issues in the game. Patience, and you won't have any trouble.

Voice acting, music and sounds are really good. Especially the music, it is a vast improvement over Witcher 1 in my opinion.

I just love this game. And I throw my hat off to developers. It seems they knew what they wanted, aimed for it, and bullseye... A perfect PC game!
  45. Apr 29, 2013
    Well I think there is not much to say after nearly two years after release. Only that The Witcher is still one of the best RPGs ever made. I preordered the game as soon as I saw it on gog.com And I finished the game fourth time yesterday (3x Roche's patch 1x Iorveth's path in total) on the new Dark difficulty.
    Although it should be hard it actually looked like a peace of cake. And all I
    Although it should be hard it actually looked like a peace of cake. And all I have crafted were the Basphemer's and Oathbreaker's armors. I have not used special swords (did not like the effect associated with them). So if there is still someone who has not played the game yet and is considering to buy it, go for it. Just a little warning. You must use your brain and abilities in combat. Forget pressing a mouse button like crazy to kill an enemy (as seen in most games this time unfortunately).
  46. Aug 26, 2013
    Good game, but I did not enjoy it as much as the first Witcher. They lost some of the things that made the first game unique when they made the sequel... and I'm not sure what it is. That being said, sequels rarely are better than the originals, and while this game, to me, is no exception to that rule, it comes pretty close and does a great job of continuing the story (loosely (I've readGood game, but I did not enjoy it as much as the first Witcher. They lost some of the things that made the first game unique when they made the sequel... and I'm not sure what it is. That being said, sequels rarely are better than the originals, and while this game, to me, is no exception to that rule, it comes pretty close and does a great job of continuing the story (loosely (I've read the books)). It's not bad at all, I just did not enjoy it as much.

Insane graphics when cranked, good story, your decisions in The Witcher make a difference, and great music. The bad includes still not being able to jump, too many long videos, and a complicated inventory.
  47. May 17, 2011
    Take note EA, This is how a proper and immersible RPG is made. Have your mediocre and simplistic Dragon Age 2, This game exceeds it in every possible way. Truly a refreshing RPG in this 2011 year and definitely one of the better ones. I've been waiting for a real and actual RPG and having Witcher 2 grace the market/industry made me glad to be a PC Gamer. Depth and soul defines thisTake note EA, This is how a proper and immersible RPG is made. Have your mediocre and simplistic Dragon Age 2, This game exceeds it in every possible way. Truly a refreshing RPG in this 2011 year and definitely one of the better ones. I've been waiting for a real and actual RPG and having Witcher 2 grace the market/industry made me glad to be a PC Gamer. Depth and soul defines this game. Well done CD Projekt and do hope to see more (RPG) games produced by you. I would advise people to buy the game through GOG, CD Projekt's DRM-free site. Help and support not only the game but that company as well. The Witcher 2 is not broken, mediocre, or shoddy and I'm glad CD Projekt actually cares for their product and customers. Expand
  48. Jul 20, 2012
    The games improved a lot since my initial review (when Witcher 2's was completely broken). Now it stands as one of the best RPG's in recent years. A mature story with good game play mechanics.
  49. May 19, 2011
    This is a great game. The only problems I've had are with the controls/camera during combat which are unresponsive at times and the lack of a decent tutorial. Art work is excellent. Story is decent for a video game. All in all the game is worth picking up if you have a upper end PC.
  50. May 27, 2011
    So I just finished The Witcher 2 and I am left feeling a little undecided still. There were moments that were fantastic and others where I struggled to force myself to go on. I am a great fan of the old classics. The first Baldur's Gate game still stands out in my mind but I enjoyed the sequel, as well as Morrowind and Oblivion - the latter slightly less than the former. So I suppose itSo I just finished The Witcher 2 and I am left feeling a little undecided still. There were moments that were fantastic and others where I struggled to force myself to go on. I am a great fan of the old classics. The first Baldur's Gate game still stands out in my mind but I enjoyed the sequel, as well as Morrowind and Oblivion - the latter slightly less than the former. So I suppose it comes down to taste. I thought there were some good scripting moments but a lot of the time I had no real idea what people were talking about (perhaps a symptom of having played but not finished the first game) or even if I did know what they were talking about I just didn't care. I wasn't fighting my own fight but merely a pawn in a greater struggle I had no real sympathy for. I was really excited about the combat after the first couple of tutorial fights. I played through Demon's Souls a number of times and loved that and there were certainly similarities. But sadly that was as good as it got. As you upgrade your skills the combat becomes less and less skillful and more and more of a button-mash fest. This was a real disappointment.

So all in all I liked the game but certainly didn't love it. It was a big improvement from the first one in many ways and hopefully they can continue that trend with what will almost certainly be a third game. On the right track but not quite there yet. Good, but not great. 7.5/10
  51. May 17, 2011
    I would give this game a GOTY not just in the RPG, but generally across all genres. The game has amazing graphics that push the hardware (you can also play it on crappy PCs too, so props to devs for optimizing the engine). The game has glorious story and awesome combat mechanics, go watch YouTube if you don't believe me.

More important, this game has an awesome developer behind it that

More important, this game has an awesome developer behind it that does everything RIGHT. No DRM, free DLC, modding tools, PC-only. Thank you CD Project.
  52. Jul 16, 2011
    Starting off being one of the best RPG's I have ever played, the last two chapters did not shine off so well to me. The beginning was beautiful and wonderful, don't get me wrong. The story, setting, characters, and map design felt fresh and great to play in. The combat has gotten more difficult, which I like to see in games (considering how many games like to go easy on players theseStarting off being one of the best RPG's I have ever played, the last two chapters did not shine off so well to me. The beginning was beautiful and wonderful, don't get me wrong. The story, setting, characters, and map design felt fresh and great to play in. The combat has gotten more difficult, which I like to see in games (considering how many games like to go easy on players these days). However, I was not a fan of the potion-usage in the Witcher 2. In fact, I still question what was wrong with just keeping the Witcher 1's potion usage. Did they feel like being able to use your potion whenever was wrong? Unless I missed something, you could only use your potion when meditating, but it's a matter of opinons. When I entered the city in Chapter 3 (I believe), something felt off. It really did not feel like there was much to do and there really wasn't. The main quest line was a breeze and the dragon fight felt a little unsatisfying to me, it honest to god did not felt like I fought a dragon. And then in the epilogue, I did not like how they decided to have the bad guy (forgot his name, sorry) answer all your questions right there and then, instead of answering the questions slowly. He had at least 25 things to say (if you decided to listen) and I was sitting there wondering "Why couldn't they just answer some of these things over the game, not at once." And the ending was just so bland, it really had no meaning. The Witcher 1's ending was very intense and very story-compelling to me, they gave you a very good reason why the bad guy's were doing what they did. In the Witcher 2, the bad guy assassinated kings, which sparked off revolts, just because the king in the south caught him and said "I will start a new Witcher academy if you kill the king". Felt cliche and bland to me. To sum it up for any "tl;dr" people. First half of the game: Witcher 2>Witcher 1. Ending chapters of the game: Witcher 1 >>>>>>>>>> Witcher 2. Let's hope in the Witcher 3 that they can ultimately conclude this game series with a very interesting and mind-twisting ending. Expand
  53. May 18, 2011
    masterpiece of a game. deep mature storyline, fantastic combat and incredible graphics. its a must buy for pc gamers. i cant stand that all of these people are trolling this game with low scores. its ridiculous.
  54. May 17, 2011
    After playing through the Witcher 1 a couple of times and reading Blood of Elves from the Witcher's writer Andrezej Sapkowski i was afraid that this game would simply not live to my expectations. I was wrong. From the gorgeous graphics to the deep combat system and the huge moral choices you have to make this has to be one of the greatest cRPGs ever made. Right on the Hall of HonorsAfter playing through the Witcher 1 a couple of times and reading Blood of Elves from the Witcher's writer Andrezej Sapkowski i was afraid that this game would simply not live to my expectations. I was wrong. From the gorgeous graphics to the deep combat system and the huge moral choices you have to make this has to be one of the greatest cRPGs ever made. Right on the Hall of Honors amongst titans like Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate and Arcanum. This game has everything a true RPG fan should enjoy: rich characters, dungeon crawling, engaging combat and an awesome story, one of those that can grab you and never let you go until you finish the game. And everything was done by a small polish company, They truly deserve our praise. Thank you CDPR for this game that deserves to be placed amongst the greatest games of all time. Expand
  55. May 18, 2011
    this game is awesome this makes DA2 look like child's play. CDProject know how to make mature pc games i am having a blast playing this game I've heard people say that its too hard. It takes about 30 min to get used to the fighting style of the game the story is simply amazing and there is plenty of RPG elements to keep even the hardcore gamer happy if you haven't bought this game yet byethis game is awesome this makes DA2 look like child's play. CDProject know how to make mature pc games i am having a blast playing this game I've heard people say that its too hard. It takes about 30 min to get used to the fighting style of the game the story is simply amazing and there is plenty of RPG elements to keep even the hardcore gamer happy if you haven't bought this game yet bye it know i promise you wont be disappointed. Expand
  56. May 28, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a masterpiece, an epic adult story controlled by the player, its not an open world game because it doesnt have to be, yes you can explorer huge areas and admir the scenary but its the decisions you make and the no right or wrong, just different paths to take that make this game replayable many times. The Graphics are amazing, huge detail, great design, The gameplay hasThe Witcher 2 is a masterpiece, an epic adult story controlled by the player, its not an open world game because it doesnt have to be, yes you can explorer huge areas and admir the scenary but its the decisions you make and the no right or wrong, just different paths to take that make this game replayable many times. The Graphics are amazing, huge detail, great design, The gameplay has Mass effect controlls which they changed as they were originally like W1 I don't mind that, the combat is amazing but very hard to master, you just can't run in hacking and slashing as you will die in seconds (someone Score it 2 saying it's a hack n slash action game, anyone who's played and complete it would know that is a rubbish statement, why don't these reviewers just play it and stop supporting their faviourite game, be a whore and like other games) The choice and consiquence system is amazing (C&C) I chose to walk away at the end and thats just what Geralt did with the story left right open (witcher 3 or DLC)but there are 16 ends, I guess I'll have to play through 16 times, it took me 50 hrs the first time, how the hell did people complete it in 20 to 30 hrs, I didnt finish 25 quests and did 50+, I guess they are masters of rpgs. The Sound wow, great voice acting, background ambience, the music score is simply the best I have ever heard for a game and maybe even film. The presentation is also very good. The Witcher 2 does have some minor flaws but theyre not game breaking and with the patches it will keep improving + free DLC. Only one game (RPG) can be as great as The Witcher 2 this year, Skyrim and I hope it is. Expand
  57. May 29, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a great game. I wont be a fanboy and pretend it is perfect, because simply put, it isn't, but that doesn't change the fact it is one of the biggest and best games 2011 has to offer.

PROS: Combat - the combat is really diverse and just to survive on Normal Difficulty or harder, you WILL need to employ your alchemy and magic as well as your sword play tactics. Running in

PROS:

Combat - the combat is really diverse and just to survive on Normal Difficulty or harder, you WILL need to employ your alchemy and magic as well as your sword play tactics. Running in and just slashing the crap out of enemies doesn't work in this game because it forces you to be much smarter in how you approach to deal with enemies and scenarios.

Story - The story is fantastic and really draws you in. If you haven't played or beaten the first Witcher, rest assure that you will be able to get a basic sense of whats going on and so on and so forth. However, it does help knowing the back story since it makes events, characters and certain missions much more important and personal. The only people who will be truly at home with the story will be those who read the books, but this doesn't require you to do so.WORD OF WARNING: If you are interested in playing this game, then you should have already seen the M rating it has received, but for the few who are unaware, this is by far a very adult game. It has sex scenes [you are given options for partners depending how you deal with scenarios], bloody violence [decapitations and so forth], mature topics [such as incest, rape, murder], and harsh language. There are definitely elements which would offend some, but the reasons these are part of the game and story isn't for a so-called 'shock value' but a real and stoic representation of a mature world where good and evil are not so easily divided. Because of that, this game is great because its rare that adults get a good story but one that is not geared towards a younger generation [BTW the games that are geared for younger people aren't necessarily bad, it's just appropriate for those settings].

Gameplay - Fun but requires thinking [this game is literally more of a RPG compared to Dragon Age 1 and so on and so forth]. You make decisions that do seriously affect the outcome of where the second and third chapter could take place and from what I understand, there are 16 different endings based on your decisions. What makes this fantastic is that decisions aren't necessarily GOOD and EVIL, but gray areas in which you might have to pick the lesser of two evils or decide how to take advantage of a situation which would be bad for many but help you and your cause. This is a mature approach to a serious game and I give it heart felt approval for the developers going down that path.

Music/Sound - Fantastic. Has dark themes as well idyllic music that helps to really flesh out the world and nothing that's annoying or out of place.

CONS:

Story - The ending leaves a bit to be desired and mature themes will definitely be towards a more adult audience.

Combat - As fun and inventive the combat was, it will be difficult for a select few to approach. This game really emphasizes complete control and for some it can be frustrating when they keep on dying because they weren't fast enough for a dodge or other things.
    Sound/Graphics - While yes, the graphics and animations are SUPERB, you need to keep in mind that you need hardware to run this game. This is not Crysis 2 but then again that doesn't mean you need less powerful hardware. Make sure that you check thoroughly that you can run this game smoothly because I can see frame rate issues and other things seriously messing up combat.
    ALSO: While the world is beautiful and the clothes and people look lifelike and real, voice-speaking animations do hiccup a bit and lag every once in a while [but is more of a minor annoyance]. Don't forget that this game was made in Europe with the native tongue being recorded in some other language and while, yes they do English dubbs and so forth, the voice acting is great but then again, it doesn't do miracles at other parts. Still good all things considered.

Yes, this was a long review, but hopefully this gives ideas to those who are eying this game on the fence and are unsure whether or not it is for them. I personally LOVE this game and everything it has to offer. It is extremely re-playable and a fun world to traverse through but there will be a few people who may be turned off by its difficulty and how hard the combat and quests can become. But hey, that's why we have game guides right? ;) Must have for RPG/Fantasy lovers!
  58. Apr 29, 2012
    The game is mediocre at best, due to developers never stopping to think what would actually be fun in a game. Would it be fun to wander around without knowing which way is north? No, but that's what you are forced to do. Would it be fun to not be able to drink potions in battle? No, but you have to spend a minute navigating menus and watching Geralt take a sip and a breath every time youThe game is mediocre at best, due to developers never stopping to think what would actually be fun in a game. Would it be fun to wander around without knowing which way is north? No, but that's what you are forced to do. Would it be fun to not be able to drink potions in battle? No, but you have to spend a minute navigating menus and watching Geralt take a sip and a breath every time you do. You also have to repeat the process every 10 minutes. Would it be fun to have size 3 font at HD resolutions? No, but that's how it is. Would it be fun to be unable to attack at full strength after using signs? No, but, inexplicably, that's how it is. Expand
  59. May 21, 2012
    One of the best video games in the last 10-15 years I think (not many worth playing, generally). RPG base with actual meaningful decisions (when did you ever have those since PS: Torment?) and mature setting/story. They also basically added an action game on top for combat. Needs to be played in the original Polish (English subtitles for me) in my opinion.
  60. May 28, 2014
    I just don't get it, you guys, and I find it hard to believe that CD Projekt has 2,860 employees, so someone explain to me where all these 10s are coming from. After about 5 hours of playing this, I am straight up BORED. Gruff-voiced tough-guy anti-hero? Check. Big breasted female characters who serve primarily as window dressings? Check. Meandering, "complex" story that doesn'tI just don't get it, you guys, and I find it hard to believe that CD Projekt has 2,860 employees, so someone explain to me where all these 10s are coming from. After about 5 hours of playing this, I am straight up BORED. Gruff-voiced tough-guy anti-hero? Check. Big breasted female characters who serve primarily as window dressings? Check. Meandering, "complex" story that doesn't appear to be really going anywhere? Check. Amnesia trope? Check. Random narration with no real rhyme or reason? Check. Scripted/directed _everything_? Check.

The dialogue scenes are constant, boring, and only advance the plot centimeters at a time. In the brief interludes where I get to wander around a bit, the world is so closed off that I feel like I'm playing a rail shooter. The random snippets of combat that do take place ratchet up the excitement to the level that you'd expect from digging in a toolbox to find the right size wrench. And then there's the arm-wrestling mini-game and street fights determined by pressing the correct button when it flashes on the screen. YAAAWWWWN.

The best thing I can say about this game is that I got it for $3 on Steam. Also, the graphics and sound aren't terrible. I do like the comic-book interludes as a nice change of graphical pace. I really hate to give up on any title, so I'll probably give it another chance or two, but at this rate, I won't feel bad uninstalling it.

Mediocre at best.
  61. Dec 11, 2013
    This is by far the best RPG I have ever played. The graphics are amazing, the combat very satisfying (I only played the enhanced edition), the story is so deep and mature, its an amazing game and if you are a fan os RPG's, you should not only buy this game, but you should also play The Witcher 1 the get the best experience possible
  62. Feb 17, 2016
    A really awesome RPG that everyone should play. The Witcher 2 is a very enjoyable game and a solid entry to the franchise. It has a complex, fun gameplay and a great story. And it's visuals are amazing.
  63. May 17, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a quite an impressive RPG, first point: my computer meets the low end specs only just and the game runs beautifully on the low settings. I get a good level of detail and visual background without any sluggishness or jagging, it is eye candy stuff, I can admit I envy those with more powerful systems. This is helped further along by no annoying load screens.

The game

The game story is deep with a very detailed and fun prologue/tutorial to help you get under the player Character's skin and make him your own man by the choices and abilities you give him and those you don't. Style of play is influenced by skills given, sword play is not a just random set of key mashes (unless you like dying alot) Thier are plenty of support skills to keep combat interesting and the enemy AI is quite good: they know how to hit you when you are down or catch you when you are not paying attention. Each opponent requires certain tactics to combat or get an advantage over to defeat.

The only down side I can see is the 'brawling' aspect where some button mashing is required and the intuitive fighting skill requirement to win is lost, it is a sort of random thing: who is quicker you or the enemy AI. But watching the enemy take a whupping is always fun!

There is little or no quest/plot guidence or handholding you have to figure things and locations out for yourself and learn the consequences of actions in the game world. A thinkers game where you kicked off the apple cart and have to fend for yourself. Thier is also plenty of fun and humour to be had wthin and outside the storyline keeping the game immersive and interesting. The game has mature humour and content showing that the developers know it is not a game for kids and respects that in the overall offering, they are catering to the audience who enjoyed the intrigues and reality provided in the first witcher game blood, guts, politics, swearing, nudity and all. Naturally there are a few miniscule and barely noteworthy flaws as with any new game but these pale in comparison to the beautiful gem that is the Witcher 2. And knowing the high level of support CDproject provides they are probably already working overtime on patches now to keep thier fans happy. Defintely a game built by mature and modern gamers for mature and modern gamers

Overall a fantastic game, well worth the price if you are an RPG fan and a must have if you enjoyed the first one. Not a game for hack and slashers or those who don't like thinking too much, full on swearing or tasteful nudity. If bought retail it does require once off DRM activation a pest I know but well worth the effort. High replay value with many options and paths to walk.
  64. Oct 26, 2014
    The top game of its year (although not recognized as such due to heavy lobbying for the blockbusters), it refreshed the formula used in The Witcher 1, solves a couple of its problems (including the combat system) and brings the graphics to the limit. Beautifully made, with an at times dark story, The Witcher 2, especially with the free updates of it (and the Extended Edition patch inThe top game of its year (although not recognized as such due to heavy lobbying for the blockbusters), it refreshed the formula used in The Witcher 1, solves a couple of its problems (including the combat system) and brings the graphics to the limit. Beautifully made, with an at times dark story, The Witcher 2, especially with the free updates of it (and the Extended Edition patch in special) still remains an sight to behold. Yes, by now some graphical errors become more obvious. But The Witcher 2 remains one of the best RPGs ever made, and with The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt upcoming which promises to be even better, the series will likely remain an shining example of good RPGs. Expand
  65. May 13, 2012
    Fantastic game. Your decisions actually affect the story line (unlike some other disappointing rpgs of late). Combat is vastly improved over the first. The plot is a little complex on the first play through, but see it out and it all fits together nicely. I've only liked a few rpgs as much as this, defiantly fit to grace the shelf along with Morrowind, KOTOR, Mass effect 1.
  66. May 24, 2011
    great game. not without it's flaws....but overall great voice acting, music, freedom of choice, immersion and graphics. Combat can be a little strange (the wrong enemy getting highlighted etc) but this is rare and overall this really is a great experience and one I have very much enjoyed. I hated the Witcher 1 but love this!
    Oh and by the way, I also loved Dragon Age 2 so I don't get all
    Oh and by the way, I also loved Dragon Age 2 so I don't get all the DA2 fanboys bashing this game. I just prefer the Witcher 2.
  67. May 8, 2012
    Excellent game all around.

Excellent graphics, very good combat system. Great voice acting and character design. Beats Skyrim on all fronts. My only gripe with it is the story it wasn't as engaging as the one in original Witcher and the ending is something murky. That was however to be expected since there is no doubt will be the third installment in the game and developers wanted to
    Excellent game all around.

My only gripe with it is the story it wasn't as engaging as the one in original Witcher and the ending is something murky. That was however to be expected since there is no doubt will be the third installment in the game and developers wanted to keep storylines open for that.

Worth every cent of it.
  68. May 23, 2011
    Absolutely unequaled in story telling and atmosphere! This game has a level of writing that would be an unachievable goal for a lot of fantasy books. The plot is drawing heavily from the Middle Ages and mixes the fantasy elements seamlessly. You may find the excessive violence and profanity repulsive, but it makes for a lot more realistic and immersive experience - the people in this gameAbsolutely unequaled in story telling and atmosphere! This game has a level of writing that would be an unachievable goal for a lot of fantasy books. The plot is drawing heavily from the Middle Ages and mixes the fantasy elements seamlessly. You may find the excessive violence and profanity repulsive, but it makes for a lot more realistic and immersive experience - the people in this game are far closer to their historic prototypes than the idealized icons we have grown to accept as characters in the cliche fantasy games. They eat, drink, swear, have bodily needs and all the rest of it. I would compare the world to George Martin's fantasy saga. Quite obviously, the authors are very well read in history.

Graphics are extremely impressive, both artistically and technically. Music is of the highest quality and it is used very well, complementing the experience - joyful in the taverns, creepy in the dungeons and aggressive during fights. Voice acting is very good with minor exceptions, but fortunately Geralt's voice is perfect throughout.

The character development has been revamped from the first game - there are a lot more options and now we have a vast array of items, some of which are crafted. The fighting is more interesting than the first game, though a bit less visually impressive. It feels a bit unresponsive at times, but this is no fighting game, so that can't be considered a big drawback.

Other problems worth mentioning are a few minor bugs and the performance - there are framerate drops in some areas.

Another personal issue I found was Geralt's face, which seems to me a step back from his looks in the first episode. I managed to get used to it and for most people it wouldn't even make a difference.

In conclusion, I must say that "The Witcher 2" is a must play game for all RPG fans and anyone interested in mature story telling and depth of characterization.
  69. Oct 5, 2011
    Witcher 2 is one of, if not, the best experience I have had with gaming in 2011. After playing through and enjoying Witcher 1, I knew this game would not disappoint. The graphics are better, the combat is more refined, the plot and character interactions just keep getting better and better. Definitely worth the purchase for anyone into WRPGs.
  70. May 25, 2012
    I was never able to really get into Witcher 1 for some reason, but the deficiencies, combat and plot advancement were all improved in Witcher 2. Skyrim and Witcher 2 were both tops on my list for 2011. The Enhanced Edition was even better and has added more replayability, and I appreciate that Projekt Red has actively grown and supported their games post-launch.
  71. Sep 18, 2011
    To sum up in two words: absolutely magnificent. Not perfect of course, but then what is? The graphics are excellent, the story line is compelling, the animation range between good and simply great (Bioware's animators for Dragon Age 2 should hang their heads in shame when they see this game)...the characters believable and you can practically smell the filth in the town streets when youTo sum up in two words: absolutely magnificent. Not perfect of course, but then what is? The graphics are excellent, the story line is compelling, the animation range between good and simply great (Bioware's animators for Dragon Age 2 should hang their heads in shame when they see this game)...the characters believable and you can practically smell the filth in the town streets when you walk down them. This is an adult game, for sure, with salty dialogue and all the better for the uncompromising way the writing reflects that.

This is, in my view, simply the best RPG yet made for the video game medium. Outstanding.
  72. Mar 6, 2012
    What I really love about the Witcher 2 apart from the stunny graphics, which obviously is a given, is that it is so realistic, for example you have to drink potions before combat. In most other games you can be in the midst of battle, but somehow you can just pop out a potion from your backpack and drink it in 1 second, and be instantly healed. The Witcher however snaps people back toWhat I really love about the Witcher 2 apart from the stunny graphics, which obviously is a given, is that it is so realistic, for example you have to drink potions before combat. In most other games you can be in the midst of battle, but somehow you can just pop out a potion from your backpack and drink it in 1 second, and be instantly healed. The Witcher however snaps people back to reality, you need time to prepare the potion, you need to meditate and drink it, and even then you wont see immediate effects, instead it boosts healing rates. Another great aspect of the game is the side missions, for example at some point you will need to venture off into the wilderness to kill some monsters, but instead of being able to just go out and hunt, you need to learn their weaknesses, where they live, what you can harvest from them, and how to defeat them. There are 2 ways to do this, go out and learn by doing, or read a book about it. Finally I love the divergent plot lines, and how you cannot understand the full story until you play through both paths

CDPROJECT brought brand new ideas to the table, and perfected old ones, the Witcher 2 is the greatest RPG to date.
  73. May 21, 2012
    One of my all time favorite RPG's. Gorgeous graphics, fun combat system, amazing story, real choices, and nice difficulty. Any fan of RPG's needs to pick this game up.
  74. Jun 20, 2013
    While the story and RPG element are to a big 10, the game is sadly filled with loads of frustration elements for people who dislike platform gameplay, there were not a single Boss event i did not find frustrating, and combined with long events and cutsceenes you had to go trough every time you failed an attempt made the game almost unplayable at certain places.

Put atop a ruined alcemy

Put atop a ruined alcemy system where potions and oils are made to take before battle, but ends up running out before the battle starts because of long cutsceenes.

I forced myself trough the game for the story wich was awesome, but i can't help to feel the top of the joy were robbed from me due to the enormous amount of times you end up doing events and battles that made even the sweetest cutsceene totally frustrating and lame.

Even with mods that made the potions last 3 times longer i found the gameplay were a huge step back from the original witcher.

Was it a memorable game? Yes,
    Will i play it again? Not likeley.
  75. May 18, 2013
    -Amazing game.
    -Stunningly beautiful
    -Deep and detailed story line -Multiple endings (I think its 4 huge ending differences and something like 20+ course changes available to you slightly altering the outcomes) -ADULT Setting (you have no idea how much a old fart like me appreciates a Mature setting rather then the dull and Politically Correct settings of so many other fantasy titles.
    -Amazing game.
    -Stunningly beautiful
    -Deep and detailed story line
    -ADULT Setting (you have no idea how much a old fart like me appreciates a Mature setting rather then the dull and Politically Correct settings of so many other fantasy titles. Not even talking about the nudity or swearing, just the over all atmosphere of setting)
    - A company that actually cares about its customer base (new update or addition comes out, you update for free, no nickle and diming you, like other so called AAA developers do
    - Part 2 of a 3 part series (part 3 comes out in late 2013 I believe and offers up a exploratory landmass triple the size of Skyrim)

I just cant say enough good about this title. I know some people may dismiss the 10 rating as overly generous but thats not how I rate. This title is a solid 9.5 but I went 10 because its closer to 10 then 9.

THE ONLY ISSUE I had with The Witcher 2 was the Kayran fight. It was clearly designed with console controls in mind and thus is very hard to master using a keyboard.

Beyond that 1 instance, Brilliant game by a Brilliant developer (who is currently working on The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077).

CDProjekt Red is one company I DONT mind being called a Fanboy for. Their work and professionalism and loyalty to their customers deserves no less IMO.

ONLY other company I ever felt so loyal to was the PRE EA buyout Bioware
  76. Aug 31, 2011
    Not as big as a console hatchet job as DA2 was, but the RPG elements have been cut down. Combat balancing was uneven and repetitive. I hated the potion system. The camera was atrocious. It's not very long, but you should get 2 very different run thoughs. A mixed bag, overall.
  77. Dec 30, 2012
    Wow it looks like the Witcher 2 company paid someone to come in and post a bunch of positive reviews on this site. At best This is the same thing that Bioware tried to pull off with DA II, just better executed, but it is still light years away from great classics like Baldur Gates/Wizardy/Might and Magic/Elder Scroll series. Poor console port, lame combat and really long and annoying cut scenes
  78. Apr 4, 2012
    "IAM" --- Interactive Movie --- This needs to be a new genre, because Witcher 2 is not an RPG. One of the player reviews here says the game went the same way as Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect.. and they're right. It's not really that fun to play, but looks gorgeous. The characters are impressive but the story has glaring holes and wouldn't get a passing grade in creative writing 101. I had"IAM" --- Interactive Movie --- This needs to be a new genre, because Witcher 2 is not an RPG. One of the player reviews here says the game went the same way as Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect.. and they're right. It's not really that fun to play, but looks gorgeous. The characters are impressive but the story has glaring holes and wouldn't get a passing grade in creative writing 101. I had high hopes for CDProjekt because they're oldschool gamers and run the great GOG.com website, but they've sold out. I can't blame them.. maybe I would do the same.. who doesn't like getting paid for what they do? It's just a damn shame that the victim of that crime is creative, challenging, deep RPGs. The consoles won - PC RPGs are dead. Expand
  79. May 19, 2011
    The best $45 i ever wasted on the game, I think ima play it for a long time. SO much better then DA2 and even DA:O. The only flaw it has is that it needs a little more optimization, but a patch can fix that so i give it the highest score possible. Great game! A must buy!!
  80. May 18, 2011
    I am writing this review as an honest appreciation for the work put into making this game a truly worthwhile experience

You know a game is well crafted when you after you play, you know it will end, and that you do not want it to end. I first registered this account to critique the terrible job DA2 did with its original franchise, now I am here in love with what the developers of The

I first registered this account to critique the terrible job DA2 did with its original franchise, now I am here in love with what the developers of The WItcher 2 did to their IP. I am actually captivated by the story, the gameplay requires thinking, and the voices are absolutely amazing. I am glad they did NOT try to make the main hero bi sexual, or a sarcastic baboon, and kept true to a badass RPG hero.

Thank you CD Projekt Red, I was originally pirating the game, but after being swayed by the universal acclaim it received here, I bought it on GoG and cacneled the torrent, and am glad I did
  81. Mar 11, 2012
    A fantastic video game with an elaborate story, engaging plot, enjoyable gameplay, and fantastic graphics. The only things that hold it back from being a 10 are a few minor glitches, an AI that is awkward at times, and some hiccups in the plot during the final act.

Prepare to enjoy yourself with this great game.
  82. May 17, 2011
    that m_stannard guy is definitely a loser and probably a bioware developer if u look at his other reviews... I pity him so much that I cannot describe it in words. this game is totally awesome in every way.
  83. May 17, 2011
    CDPR once again return to the dark and seedy world of The Witcher. This time though they have dug deeper in to the machinations and politics of the world and presented a game that not only improves in every way over their impressive debut, but have created what is a true classic in the genre.

Every aspect of th game shines. Beautiful art design, impressive graphics, a moving and rich music score, well acted and exceptionally well written dialog. A plot that slowly unveils its secret all the while sucking you further in to a fantasy world reminiscent of LoTR and classic DnD only coloured by a brooding and adult pallet of sex, violence, racism, and no clear sense of right and wrong.

The Witcher 2 not only lives up to the reputation of its predecessor, but exceeds expectations of a loyal and devoted fan base.

Long live the new kings of the modern RPG. CD Projekt Red have created a masterpiece,. A challenging, rich and detailed game sure to please true RPG fans sick of watered down, and simplified games that have come to dominate the genre this generation.

An instant classic deserving of your money and time

9.5 out of 10
  84. May 28, 2011
    Simply an amazing title. Best story and graphics I have ever seen. GOTY 2011 hands down. Bioware might put some money in the market to make it not happen, but the people will know who the real winner is.
  85. Jun 15, 2011
    What praise can I give this game that hasn't been given before? Well, let's just say that I bought and played TW1 just to be able to get into the story of this sequel, and it was well worth it!

Keep it up, CDPR! I look forward to more great stuff by you guys.
  86. May 17, 2011
    To all bloatware dlcware employees that gave zero to this game, u are so pathetic that hurts, really pathetic

GTFO cry in shame and learn how to make a proper rpg
  87. May 17, 2011
    Completely amazing game from start to finish. Graphics, story, combat... just everything is mind-blowing. I would say this is up for game of the year without a doubt. Make sure you have a pretty good PC though...
  88. May 18, 2011
    Very good game, good story, believable and likable characters, Great graphics and gameplay. Few minor glitches here and there but are only small and do not matter. I find the environment in which you play immerses you into the game very well, hearing mutters of a conversation as you walk past etc I will definitely play through again and again. Normally not much of an RPG fan, but this gameVery good game, good story, believable and likable characters, Great graphics and gameplay. Few minor glitches here and there but are only small and do not matter. I find the environment in which you play immerses you into the game very well, hearing mutters of a conversation as you walk past etc I will definitely play through again and again. Normally not much of an RPG fan, but this game has surely gotten my attention. I do not understand these people giving it a bad review, either they've got such a crappy system that they cant run it or are bioware nuts or just down right idiotic.

This game takes the cake in the RPG genre.
  89. May 26, 2011
    After the disappointing dragon age sequel, this game looks so much better because these guys did what a sequel is suppose to be. They took the original game and improved it. It's that simple.

The graphics are stunning. Can't really describe it unless you've seen it. Combat is really more or less challenging at the start and gets easier later. I enjoy the challenge, too many games out

The graphics are stunning. Can't really describe it unless you've seen it.

Combat is really more or less challenging at the start and gets easier later. I enjoy the challenge, too many games out there are just a fancy CGI movie and you're just button mashing as a complicated way of hitting play on the DVD player. Story is overall pretty strong, it got kind of weak at the end but that's probably because it's set up for the next Witcher. Honestly I think a lot of us rave about this game because DA2 set the bar really low this year in terms of sequels. This is exactly how a sequel should be, you take the original game and overall improve it.
  90. Jun 4, 2011
    That's the World Wide Web: Even for the things you really really, authentically like, there's always opinions about it who don't. ALWAYS. It's a bit sad, but...so what? These are just my 2 cents, and I want to make them simple:
    A.) Thank you world that games like The Witcher 2 still are being made.
    A.) Thank you world that games like The Witcher 2 still are being made.
    B.) The Witcher 2 is new and it is different, but If you for some unexplainable reason liked games like Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, The Longest Journey, Outcast, Silver (yes, they are related in some special way).... felt their magic, felt that if you cared about them, your time wasn't wasted, you GOT something out of these games besides shallow entertainment: Then you may like The Witcher 2. If on the other hand you somehow, deep down, couldn't understand what good there really was about the "rationally" awesome games of the last decade: Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Crysis, even Neverwinter Nights.... if you somehow were disappointed by them... you may like The Witcher 2, too.
  91. Jun 15, 2011
    It's been four years since the first Witcher game opened to warm reception in 2007. The PC exclusive action-RPG featured a new combat style, deeply evolving and open-ended paths, and a powerful protagonist with some brutal decisions to make.

The Witcher 2 has proven CDProjekt as a powerhouse developer in the RPG arena. This fledgling developer has improved upon the original Witcher in almost every way possible, bringing us a climactic and thrilling adventure that both action and RPG fans alike will appreciate.

See the full text of the review here: http://boredomsadvocate.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-witcher-2-tw2.html
  92. Jul 14, 2014
    I had a great time playing The Witcher 2. The quality of this title exceeded my expectations. And while I can not recommend this game for younger players due to the mature content, I would definitely recommend it for older players, particularly if you are a fan of The original Conan comics, as I feel there are a lot of similarities in the way these works are played out. The gameI had a great time playing The Witcher 2. The quality of this title exceeded my expectations. And while I can not recommend this game for younger players due to the mature content, I would definitely recommend it for older players, particularly if you are a fan of The original Conan comics, as I feel there are a lot of similarities in the way these works are played out. The game features Elves, Dwarves, and humans, along with plenty of monsters, and magic. The story is very complex, and the characters are all richly developed. Most importantly, there is a combat system that is both challenging, and entertaining. The voice work is top notch, and the graphics and music are triple A quality. I have to say that this game takes the crown as my favorite role playing game since the Mass Effect games. Expand
  93. Nov 13, 2011
    Being spoiled by open worlds from the Bethesda studio's this is disappointing. All though the story is great it really pissed me off that the story telling cuts in all the time and even lets you lose a fight which I was totally winning just to be able to tell the story. Also lets you fight fights with other characters of your party on occasion. The game player just has to follow. I knowBeing spoiled by open worlds from the Bethesda studio's this is disappointing. All though the story is great it really pissed me off that the story telling cuts in all the time and even lets you lose a fight which I was totally winning just to be able to tell the story. Also lets you fight fights with other characters of your party on occasion. The game player just has to follow. I know this is part of role playing but as I said I'm spoiled by the free open worlds in other games. But great graphics, fighting system and story! Expand
  94. Nov 22, 2011
    O melhor jogo de 2011! Sem dúvida nenhuma uma obra prima, realmente é uma obra de arte, jogabilidade extraordinária, história profunda, gráficos estonteantes, som magnífico e ainda por cima, divertido!!!
  95. Jan 5, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is epic in every sense of the word. The narrative is incredibly well done and one of the best in the industry, the graphics are jaw dropping, and the combat system is a huge improvement from the first. What really amazed me is how big of an impact your choices do make in this game, even more so than the original Witcher and any Bioware game which is usually a good vs evilThe Witcher 2 is epic in every sense of the word. The narrative is incredibly well done and one of the best in the industry, the graphics are jaw dropping, and the combat system is a huge improvement from the first. What really amazed me is how big of an impact your choices do make in this game, even more so than the original Witcher and any Bioware game which is usually a good vs evil decision. But in WItcher 2 every choice has a consequence and it will have you second guessing your choices wondering what would have happened if you did choice Y instead of X and Z. It's one of those games you will replay a few times just to see the different outcomes and endings. The visuals are out of this world and I think the best looking game of 2011. In terms of technology BF3 wins but the art style in the Witcher 2 really takes it over the top I think. It's like an oil painting at times and I just want to sit and stare at some of the gorgeous scenary (the rain effects!).

The combat is fast, fluid, and fun, plus it takes a lot of skill to master. This isn't an easy game, however it is a very rewarding game if you put the time to learn it.

If you are a fan of RPG's or just a good story you will enjoy this game I think.
  96. Apr 17, 2012
    My favorite game on the PC by far. Everything is great! Best graphics, story and gameplay in a game ever created. There is nothing like it on the consoles. Shame this game will be completely overlooked.
  97. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is worth 9 and get last points so that be 10 when him whores I really like naked girls and porn in games beacuse that make me play them more.
  98. Jan 9, 2014
    Overrated as **** The gameplay consists of running around towns and an averege combat system. The RPG elements are barely existant and don't really matter. The quests are boring and not anything special. But the thing people seem to like the most about the game is the story. And I find it to be a total piece of **** It has a nice setup, then for hours on end, nothing happens in the secondOverrated as **** The gameplay consists of running around towns and an averege combat system. The RPG elements are barely existant and don't really matter. The quests are boring and not anything special. But the thing people seem to like the most about the game is the story. And I find it to be a total piece of **** It has a nice setup, then for hours on end, nothing happens in the second act and little is added in terms of the story, which is a shame, sicne it's the longest act. The third act really tries hard to make a good twist and fails full frontal. Ooh, this character is bad? I DON'T CARE since I don't care about any of the characters except for Iorveth, who is the only person who gets any damn backstory and a some spotlight. And even when everything is unraveled and the mysteries revealed, it feels like the writers were just making **** up as they went on. So far, the only reason why I think people actually like it is because of its "mature" world. No, it is not mature. All it does is throws sex and curse words at you face! And politics! Like we play games to listen to politics! And since it is a fantasy world, you'd expect them to at least make the politics more interesting, but no! All they do is recite one point over and over again! And it's about equality of elves and humans and then nothign interesting along with it whatsoever! In Skyrim, for example you have the whole history of elven and imperial rivalry with the victory of Numidium, then the new Aldmeri dominion and the white gold concordate, but no interesting backstory is given! And if you haven't played the previous Witcher game, then get ready to read lots of Wiki lore, because the game couldn't be bothered to explain what the Wild Hunt is, even though it's one of the most essential plot elements of the game. Bottom line, it's not bad, but it is overrated. Is it worth playing? Only if you're a hardcore RPG fan, otherwise it's a straight no. Expand
  99. May 20, 2014
    Cons:
    -Plays way better in a controller vs playing it with mouse + keyboard.
    -Needs more naked women! XD -Resource demanding (con if you play it on low end computer). Pros: -Excellent story. -Excellently written characters, they all feel obscenely real. -Awesome decision system and the way those decisions determine the events of the game. -Great replayability, since a decision
    Cons:
    -Plays way better in a controller vs playing it with mouse + keyboard.
    -Needs more naked women! XD
    -Resource demanding (con if you play it on low end computer).

Pros:
    -Excellent story.
    -Excellently written characters, they all feel obscenely real.
    -Great replayability, since a decision you make at the end of Chapter 1, will give you different Chapters 2 & 3.
    -The morale of the game rejects black and white perspectives, giving it a more realistic feel.
    -DRM free.
    -In game porn.
    -Minigames like dice poker are fun.
    -Amazing music.
    -Amazing visuals.
    -Talent trees allow you to customize your game play in 3 different ways.
  100. Oct 8, 2015
    While not perfect, Witcher 2 is way ahead of most games ever made.

Pros - Interactive action adventure, many ways to play and your choices influence the story - Amazing soundtrack - Amazing graphics - Amazing characters - Great story. Cons - They listened to old school roleplayers who favors item hoarding over immersion, despite starting the game with the best steel and silver
    While not perfect, Witcher 2 is way ahead of most games ever made.

- Amazing soundtrack
    - Amazing graphics
    - Amazing characters
    - Great story.

Cons - They listened to old school roleplayers who favors item hoarding over immersion, despite starting the game with the best steel and silver swords ever made you will soon find yourself in a loop of upgrading them for a swords that do up to 400% more damage, This also means that the knights you encounter in the first prologue are much weaker than the bandits you will encounter in the first act.
    - Hard level simply means your enemies do more damage while you do less, uninspiring and usually makes you feel less of a bad ass by making combat longer and spamming quen sign.

Depends on you - Geralt, if you don't like him, you wont like the game.
    The combat, some people like it, some don't. It consist mostly of rolling around your enemies and mixing quick and strong attacks. While also throwing a few spells and bombs in the mix from time to time.
    You can craft, if that's your thing, I find it an immersion breaker that you take the time to craft and even needs to. You can also drink potions, but I recommend skipping that because you have to stop and mediate before the battle, they last for a very short time and are severely under powered compared to the first witcher.
  101. Mar 6, 2012