8.5

1. May 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To be honest I didn't expect anything great from The Witcher 2. I just wanted to play a Gothic-like game. But after spending a hour playing I was amazed. Great visuals (even on minimal settings), awesome plot, choices that greatly matter. The only thing that is a bit flawed is the combat system, but after spending some time mastering it you're gonna love it. Anyway I recommend The Witcher 2 to anyone who likes games like Risten or Gothic. It has all their advantages and adds a lot on its own. I give it a 10.0 Expand
  2. May 27, 2011
    Excellent game! With beautiful graphics and complex world.
    Surprising and innovative.
    Excellent game! With beautiful graphics and complex world.
    Surprising and innovative.
    Malcontents who are looking only for bugs, they should be ashamed. Besides, half of it is not bugs. Especially in combat. It is rather a novelty. Added to give specificity to the world of Geralt Rivia. Appearance of the hero, his way of fighting, its nature, its capabilities - it is all very specific. This is a very clearly defined character.
    This game is not "average", this game is controversial.
    And stirs emotions. But it deserves very high marks.
    From 8 to 10
    No less! If it is too hard for you because you are accustomed to easily play ... well ... Time to grow up! You play or not.
    But be honest in their assessments. It's a great game!

I compared the different RPG. And what? This is one of the best games for a mature player. Others are more for teenagers.
    This year I am waiting for Skyrim yet, but if the story is as boring as Oblivion, then TW will remain No. 1 for me

And another thing ... Bioware fanboys - Kids! - you are ridiculous with your fury.
  3. Jun 4, 2011
    That's the World Wide Web: Even for the things you really really, authentically like, there's always opinions about it who don't. ALWAYS. It's a bit sad, but...so what? These are just my 2 cents, and I want to make them simple:
    A.) Thank you world that games like The Witcher 2 still are being made.
    A.) Thank you world that games like The Witcher 2 still are being made.
    B.) The Witcher 2 is new and it is different, but If you for some unexplainable reason liked games like Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, The Longest Journey, Outcast, Silver (yes, they are related in some special way).... felt their magic, felt that if you cared about them, your time wasn't wasted, you GOT something out of these games besides shallow entertainment: Then you may like The Witcher 2. If on the other hand you somehow, deep down, couldn't understand what good there really was about the "rationally" awesome games of the last decade: Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Crysis, even Neverwinter Nights.... if you somehow were disappointed by them... you may like The Witcher 2, too.
  4. May 28, 2011
    This game is a little bit below what I expected. After Playing the first game, I had high hopes for the second one. Some of the things I did like about TW2 was the environment that was set up. Everything looked beautiful. Also, the didn't have nearly as many bugs as TW1 did when it first came out. The story line was pretty solid and let me say this; this game feels linear, but playThis game is a little bit below what I expected. After Playing the first game, I had high hopes for the second one. Some of the things I did like about TW2 was the environment that was set up. Everything looked beautiful. Also, the didn't have nearly as many bugs as TW1 did when it first came out. The story line was pretty solid and let me say this; this game feels linear, but play through again making different choices and you probably won't end up with the same conclusion, maybe not even the same story. Now, there are some things that I didn't like about this game. There was barely any tutorial at all. The only help you got was from a little box in the corner of the screen to tell you what to do. They also made the tutorial more difficult than it should have been. I get that this game was meant to be for the hardcore player, but the game gets easier as you go further into the game, which also means the level pacing was bad. Many people have complained about the inventory mechanics and other things, but that didn't bother me too much because it was similar to TW1. The one thing that killed the game though, was the scripting into American English. Talking in the medieval tone and accent is fine, but when you start dropping the f-bombs and other slang that doesn't fit in with the game at all, that is NOT ok. Overall, This game is pretty good. It didn't meet my expectations, But it was still an enjoyable experience. Expand
  5. Aug 17, 2011
    Desik's review and score of a 1 is exactly what i would expect form the new lazy gamer generation that doesn't have any idea how to explore. All they want is everything handed to them with cheat codes and guides. This games setupa nd mechanics are a greta throw back to the old days of gaming and keeps well with the old witcher game.

If you are a WoW kiddie who has to have everything

If you are a WoW kiddie who has to have everything handed to you on easy mode than don't play this game and go back to WoW please.
  6. Jul 8, 2011
    I love this game. The Witcher has "Slavic" climate. Story is interesting and "adult". Moral choice are difficult (not black and white). I must mention the great dialogues (I played in the Polish language version). / Co tu pisaÄ
  7. Jun 25, 2011
    This game has a lot of positives but also negatives that go with each one. It handles the story and nudity very maturely and has a great world filled with interesting lore and creatures. The fact you really get no new spells or anything is pretty boring and can be a major put-off. The spells you do get are limited and only some of them are useful. I found myself using the shield abilityThis game has a lot of positives but also negatives that go with each one. It handles the story and nudity very maturely and has a great world filled with interesting lore and creatures. The fact you really get no new spells or anything is pretty boring and can be a major put-off. The spells you do get are limited and only some of them are useful. I found myself using the shield ability 70% of the time. This has nothing to do with play-style, but since fights put 3 guys against you who all attack at the same time and who can infinitely block and chain attack you, it is a must. The fire was useless and the mind control didn't even work when I used it. The combat seems great but has many flaws. They make blocking use the same bar as spells, which starts off with only 2 uses and doesn't regenerate fast enough. This means when your opponents can keep attacking and blocking, you really can't play defensive or offensive. They can block and counter or if u try to block you can only do it 2 times before starting to get hit. They should have made block separate. Some would say that is why the "roll" is there but usually it is too slow and doesn't really put you in a good position to counter. It is almost like they don't want you to be able to defend yourself. What RPG makes all your spells take 1/2 or 1/3 of your mana bar? None, because it is stupid and makes the game not as much fun, as there is too much time running around waiting for it to recharge. Then there is the graphics. They are beautiful but require too much to run them. With my top-of-the-line comp I was only able to run most things, and even those on medium settings and still with texture problems. This could be a major put-off for most. The biggest problem is the difficulty. I started out with "hard" and having been a gamer my whole life and playing most games on hard, I was appalled by how this setting was. Everything 2-3 hit you, which made the lack of defense even harder. That mixed with the crowds who could juggle you and it was too much. I would spend 1 hour replaying boss fights as well as random mobs. "Hard" shouldn't mean making the computer overpowered or making you every 30 min have to replay a part over and over for an hour. That;s not difficult, its just aggravating and time consuming. It doesn't challenge you, it just asks you to be flawless or get really lucky. Especially because you can't take potions in combat (why did they think this was a good idea) which means there is no healing yourself. If they would have included a sign that would be ok, but they didn't. This all comes to a head with the save system. I applaud the use of the quicksave, but then you cannot use it in battle, the time when it makes most sense. Since this is already too hard in combat, you should be able to save your progress, but you can't. This means you have to go the entire fight perfectly or after 5 min of a boss fight where you almost kill him but make one error you are forced to replay the entire thing again. I would like the ability to save after I kill each member of a party in battle, due to how unfair it already is that you are facing a party. This makes it seem like a glorified checkpoint system. But other than these glaring weakness and botched ideas, there is a good game at heart. I think it has to due with a wonky way of thinking in Europe how an RPG should be. Expand
  8. Jul 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best RPG's i've ever played, in my opinion it's only beaten by some of the Bioware's games (Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon age: Origins,...) and maybe The Elder Scrolls. I only wish its length was a little bit longer... Expand
  9. Jun 3, 2011
    8.5 / 10 The Witcher 2 is a strange mix. It does some things really well and some things really poorly. The good outweighs the bad though. The Good: 1) Best graphics of any RPG. Well designed environments. The world/setting is immersive and feels very believable. 2) Many of your decisions have meaningful consequences. Sometimes picking a bad dialog option actually leads to your immediate8.5 / 10 The Witcher 2 is a strange mix. It does some things really well and some things really poorly. The good outweighs the bad though. The Good: 1) Best graphics of any RPG. Well designed environments. The world/setting is immersive and feels very believable. 2) Many of your decisions have meaningful consequences. Sometimes picking a bad dialog option actually leads to your immediate death. That's not something you see very often. 3) Strong story, though sometimes convoluted. Much better than most RPGs. 4) Interesting, believable characters. All have unique personalities. Most of the voice acting is good. The Bad: 1) Many aspects of the UI are poorly designed. It feels designed for gamepads rather than a mouse and keyboard. Inventory is definitely designed for gamepad navigation. Can't unequip/equip items when trading with NPCs. Targeting system is very clumsy. Minimap is not fixed to a direction and constantly rotates. World map is useless. Item descriptions slowly scroll instead of having a scroll bar. Can't interact with objects while being attacked. Many more. 2) Dialog response options are not verbatim. Not knowing what you will say means you'll sometimes pick options that you didn't intend, and that kills immersion. 3) False dialog options. What I mean by this is, sometimes you are given two dialog options, and picking either one will give the same response. I really hate when RPGs do this. 4) Lack of interactivity. Most objects can't be interacted with. Many NPCs have generic responses and won't talk to you. I noticed about halfway through that generic NPCs have randomly generated names, and will change if you reload. 5) Somewhat linear areas. Could be worse, but it's definitely not a free, open world. Expand
  10. Jun 3, 2011
    I think this game is extremely overrated and required at least 6 months of added development time in order to polish (pun not intended) some issues and bugs which deter the whole experience...sure the world is beautiful and the story interesting but the game has control and AI issues hindering gameplay...I mean...design choices such as: only one person can go through a door at a time...orI think this game is extremely overrated and required at least 6 months of added development time in order to polish (pun not intended) some issues and bugs which deter the whole experience...sure the world is beautiful and the story interesting but the game has control and AI issues hindering gameplay...I mean...design choices such as: only one person can go through a door at a time...or you can only drink potions while meditating (having to go through menus and choices) and not during fights...I just don't understand these...also some people call this game an RPG...I don't see this..this is an action adventure...you can't design your character, abilities are limited and given from the start, quests are small, dungeons are tiny...I don't think you can even begin to compare this game to epics such as DA:O...finally there are no tactics during combat...you can beat every opponent with the same move..dodge and attack...the boss fights are well done but personally I just don't like quick time events...just pressing one button to complete an elaborate action sequence?! kills the atmosphere...mini games suck and are pretty pointless you'll have seen them all within 3 hours of gameplay...also some quests are just confusing...where you are left clueless wondering what to do or where to go next...this game is just mediocre...but if they ever get a Witcher 3 out..I this that one is going to be pretty good! Expand
  11. Jul 7, 2011
    The Witcher 2 presents a strong story and is wrought with opportunities to make choices that deeply impact the gameworld. However I feel that the gameplay has several flaws. It was an improvement over the first game which had a rhythm based combat system, but didn't take it all of the way. Drinking potions only during meditation was silly, also potions were far less useful. The difficultyThe Witcher 2 presents a strong story and is wrought with opportunities to make choices that deeply impact the gameworld. However I feel that the gameplay has several flaws. It was an improvement over the first game which had a rhythm based combat system, but didn't take it all of the way. Drinking potions only during meditation was silly, also potions were far less useful. The difficulty standards of the game start very, very high but the game becomes easy a little more than halfway through, even on hard. Fortunately for all of the flaws, the gameplay remains fairly fun. I think that hard difficulty should have disabled combat rolling. There are a few sequences when it is disabled and they show that it would've fixed most of the issues with difficulty curve. Another issue I had was the story seems to taper off much too quickly which was the opposite problem of the first game which was long, but for all of the wrong reasons. I feel like there should have been one more chapter.

But even with those issues it blows any and all contemporary competition out of the water as a ROLE PLAYING game. The world of the Witcher is the most immersive I've experienced since the first two Fallout games. The characters are great and memorable, the environments are visceral and memorable, and the graphics are great. But more importantly the art and area design makes the graphics shine even more brightly, producing a visual experience that is clearly second to none. Easily a 9/10, certainly should be up for GOTY, certainly WILL be RPG of the year.
  12. Jul 18, 2011
    Contrary to popular belief, this game isn't actually the best thing since sliced bread. Though, yes, it is a good game. Its visuals are, especially compared to its competitors, stunning. The story is gripping, and will make you want continue playing - if only the gameplay will allow it.

It is the gameplay that's the real problem of this game, and which will at times leave you frustrated. Some people say that the Witcher 2 is too hard, too difficult. It's really not; it's not so much difficult as it is tedious. Combat situations have to be resolved exactly in a certain way - or you'll die a horrible death.

Without spoiling too much; the first large boss you'll encounter will require you to do do the same combat maneuver three times, after which you are forced to slam whatever button appears on your screen, after which you're left to find the one spot where you won't be killed [without there being a clue where this spot is, though I believe they are planning to fix this].

More generally, the combat never gets really challenging; it's the same duck, roll, attack from behind throughout the game in order to defeat your foes. There are spells, but more often than not you'll be wearing your shield spell, which in turn prevents you from using your other spells too much.

All in all this is a good game, but it's not as great as some people make it out to be. While you may want to keep playing in order to see how the story will unfold, the gameplay will more often than not make you search the web frantically for game guides, so that you'll know what maneuver to use on the next boss, or worse it might make you feel like you just need a break from it. And this is the problem for me; no good game should ever make you feel that you need a break from it.
  13. Jul 27, 2011
    I really love this game. I think the atmosphere and the graphics are really great. I love the non-vanilla approach to fantasy, the gritty feel of it. NO big evil badass to defeat, just the intrigue of a handful of morally wayward characters. But, as has been said elsewhere, I feel that some of the boss fights are ridiculous, and the lack of information on how you actually need to do stuffI really love this game. I think the atmosphere and the graphics are really great. I love the non-vanilla approach to fantasy, the gritty feel of it. NO big evil badass to defeat, just the intrigue of a handful of morally wayward characters. But, as has been said elsewhere, I feel that some of the boss fights are ridiculous, and the lack of information on how you actually need to do stuff is incredibly annoying. The developers could use a few usability lessons: this has got nothing to do with being hardcore or old style - this is just plain bad. Expand
  14. Jul 28, 2011
    This is the best game I've played this year. The Graphics are amazing, the storyline and characters are amazing. The game has some, though small, flaws. The one thing that annoys me the most were the caves beneath vergen, which were really hard to navigate. And I got lost several times, I miss the ability to set your own waypoints on the map. All in all this is a great game, but you shouldThis is the best game I've played this year. The Graphics are amazing, the storyline and characters are amazing. The game has some, though small, flaws. The one thing that annoys me the most were the caves beneath vergen, which were really hard to navigate. And I got lost several times, I miss the ability to set your own waypoints on the map. All in all this is a great game, but you should only play it if you have a powerful enough computer to be able to enjoy the visuals. Expand
  15. Nov 3, 2011
    Wow I was really amazed by that game. Story-wise this game is same level of interest if not better than assassins creed series.
    Its Best RPG i have ever played. incredible graphics.
    It had greater level of impression on me than when dragon age origins came out. 10+/10 diablo 2 < Dragon age 2 < Dragon Age Origins < Witcher 2 there is Baldurs Gate game that i havent played, and witcher To
    Its Best RPG i have ever played. incredible graphics.
    It had greater level of impression on me than when dragon age origins came out.
    10+/10
    diablo 2 < Dragon age 2 < Dragon Age Origins < Witcher 2
    there is Baldurs Gate game that i havent played, and witcher
    To beat this game, Blizzard and Bioware Betheda and others would have to work really hard
  16. Apr 18, 2012
    Very cinematographic and deep story telling. Gameplay is really enhanced since the first game, being this one less linear and with a pretty good system of dialogue choices. Geralt is better portrayed and the graphic quality and artistic direction have made this game the title with probably the best environments ever! To me, this game is a must have. I will give it a 9/10.
  17. Jul 25, 2012
    It is beautiful. The game play is fun and challenging. And most of all, the story line is extremely addictive. I can't wait to play this game 2 or 3 times more over.
  18. Jan 9, 2014
    Overrated as **** The gameplay consists of running around towns and an averege combat system. The RPG elements are barely existant and don't really matter. The quests are boring and not anything special. But the thing people seem to like the most about the game is the story. And I find it to be a total piece of **** It has a nice setup, then for hours on end, nothing happens in the secondOverrated as **** The gameplay consists of running around towns and an averege combat system. The RPG elements are barely existant and don't really matter. The quests are boring and not anything special. But the thing people seem to like the most about the game is the story. And I find it to be a total piece of **** It has a nice setup, then for hours on end, nothing happens in the second act and little is added in terms of the story, which is a shame, sicne it's the longest act. The third act really tries hard to make a good twist and fails full frontal. Ooh, this character is bad? I DON'T CARE since I don't care about any of the characters except for Iorveth, who is the only person who gets any damn backstory and a some spotlight. And even when everything is unraveled and the mysteries revealed, it feels like the writers were just making **** up as they went on. So far, the only reason why I think people actually like it is because of its "mature" world. No, it is not mature. All it does is throws sex and curse words at you face! And politics! Like we play games to listen to politics! And since it is a fantasy world, you'd expect them to at least make the politics more interesting, but no! All they do is recite one point over and over again! And it's about equality of elves and humans and then nothign interesting along with it whatsoever! In Skyrim, for example you have the whole history of elven and imperial rivalry with the victory of Numidium, then the new Aldmeri dominion and the white gold concordate, but no interesting backstory is given! And if you haven't played the previous Witcher game, then get ready to read lots of Wiki lore, because the game couldn't be bothered to explain what the Wild Hunt is, even though it's one of the most essential plot elements of the game. Bottom line, it's not bad, but it is overrated. Is it worth playing? Only if you're a hardcore RPG fan, otherwise it's a straight no. Expand
  19. Jun 28, 2011
    I have to give this game definitely worth a look. The story, voice acting, and graphics are all amazing. While character development could have been deeper and the combat is a bit hack and slash, the positives out-weight those negatives. I find myself already looking forward to 3 to see how the story further develops. Definitely worth the money.
  20. Oct 25, 2013
    probably the best game i have played in years. everything is above par and this game literally made me think other game si used to like are garabage.....looking at u dragon age and
  21. Dec 7, 2012
    A pretty good RPG. The story, music, and graphics are all top-notch--I had goosebumps for literally minutes after the ending. Decisions have real consequences that aren't always apparent, making this much more like a real story than any other RPG out there. The gameplay, however, is a bit clunky. Combat is weightless and hollow, and while the creature design is amazing, few enemies comeA pretty good RPG. The story, music, and graphics are all top-notch--I had goosebumps for literally minutes after the ending. Decisions have real consequences that aren't always apparent, making this much more like a real story than any other RPG out there. The gameplay, however, is a bit clunky. Combat is weightless and hollow, and while the creature design is amazing, few enemies come down to anything other than "slash-dodge-slash-dodge". Moreover, the minigames are shallow and truly quite pointless. So while the game is definitely worth a buy, just go in treating it more like a gorgeous, interactive novel than a normal video game. Expand
  22. Aug 25, 2012
    Initially I turned The Witcher 2 down being biased against console style RPGs. Luckily, I accidentally tried it and I was immediately hooked in. The Witcher 2 (enhanced edition) is truly a gem. I had to enjoy so much an RPG, since Mass Effect 1. Behind the console style design, there is a deep, old school core waiting to absorb you. The graphics, the story, the non-linearities, itsInitially I turned The Witcher 2 down being biased against console style RPGs. Luckily, I accidentally tried it and I was immediately hooked in. The Witcher 2 (enhanced edition) is truly a gem. I had to enjoy so much an RPG, since Mass Effect 1. Behind the console style design, there is a deep, old school core waiting to absorb you. The graphics, the story, the non-linearities, its gameplay variety remind me of KoToR. Well done TW2 team. I give it a 10 wholeheartedly. Expand
  23. Oct 4, 2012
    If you love fantasy action role-playing games his is the game for you, with grit and lore from Andrzej Sapkowski work and CD Projekt RED being a fan friendly company even throwing in the upgrade to Enhanced Edition for free when most bigger companies would charge a fee its worth the buy.
  24. Mar 11, 2012
    Game is amazing in prologue and first act. Later is... Eh... . But graphic is awesome. Animation is awesome. Story is good, you don`t a awesome soldier who must save the world. Universe is very good. This is a dark fantasy. The worst is only epilogue.
  25. Jul 27, 2012
    CD Projekt RED might just be one of the few devs that can save PC gaming. This game has everything a good game needs. Very fluid and satisfying combat, huge character development tree, extremely nice level design with amazing detail. And the story is is just amazing all the way through. This game can just amaze every gamer, RPG fan or not.
  26. Jul 15, 2012
    I truly loved the first Witcher. It was dark, adult, and presented a rich fantasy world full of memorable settings and interesting characters. The sequel also offers this but not nearly as much as the first. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings looks downright gorgeous. The greatest graphics I have ever seen in any modern game to date. The attention to the tiniest detail is also astounding.I truly loved the first Witcher. It was dark, adult, and presented a rich fantasy world full of memorable settings and interesting characters. The sequel also offers this but not nearly as much as the first. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings looks downright gorgeous. The greatest graphics I have ever seen in any modern game to date. The attention to the tiniest detail is also astounding. The gameplay is also fine. After a series of updates and patches the combat became much more balanced and enjoyable. The story and plot at first was really enjoyable and had numerous memorable moments. And the fact that there are two possible story paths to partake in doubles the amount of replay-ability. However, the ending left me purely disappointed. I felt the game had been building up to something great and was only let down with a lackluster conclusion. If one were to play this game and take advantage of both story paths then the play time would be around 70 hours. A good investment if you're a fan of the universe, the first game or video games in general even with the tagged on ending. Expand
  27. Jan 4, 2013
    Story: 9 --- What makes the Witcher 2's story so interesting is it's multiple paths. I have played through the game six times and there are 16 endings. Each one is detectably different but there are really only four major endings. The story is well-written and interesting but not particularly unpredictable. --- Visuals: 10 --- This is a pretty game, a very pretty game and the visualStory: 9 --- What makes the Witcher 2's story so interesting is it's multiple paths. I have played through the game six times and there are 16 endings. Each one is detectably different but there are really only four major endings. The story is well-written and interesting but not particularly unpredictable. --- Visuals: 10 --- This is a pretty game, a very pretty game and the visual splendor is most clearly emphasized when it matters - during the many cutscenes. --- Sound: 8: The music is great but very repetitive. The VO is fantastic in most cases though. What strikes me most is that when music is important it is there and when silence is more important than music, you will have it too. --- Combat: 8 --- The combat in the Witcher 2 beats its predecessor hands down. But it isn't perfect and shows it's clumsiness in certain parts of the game, especially when in confined spaces. --- Fun Factor: 8 --- This game is very fun to play game (fun enough to play through six times). The reason I give it an 8 instead of a 9 is because it is too short in the mouth and too long in the knee. That is at certain spots the side quests feel drawn-out and not that interesting. --- Overall: 9 --- Actually an 8.6 but I rounded up. With a great story, beautiful cinematic vibe and solid all-around playing experience, this game is well worth the $30. Expand
  28. Apr 23, 2013
    It's all about expectations. People hate DA2 because it's a Bioware game, and they love TW2 because it comes from an underdog developer. In fact, both games have significant flaws. Here are some of the qualms I'm having with TW2: 1. Game unexpectedly quits to desktop and needs a fairly arcane fix to work properly. I'm told this is pretty rare, but who cares? I've never had any trouble likeIt's all about expectations. People hate DA2 because it's a Bioware game, and they love TW2 because it comes from an underdog developer. In fact, both games have significant flaws. Here are some of the qualms I'm having with TW2: 1. Game unexpectedly quits to desktop and needs a fairly arcane fix to work properly. I'm told this is pretty rare, but who cares? I've never had any trouble like this with any Bioware game. 2. Convincing story and depth of character? Please. In the prologue, the king literally fights in the front lines, which is completely implausible. No king would expose himself like that. 3. Very cumbersome loot system. Casting the medallion spell to show available loot adds nothing, it's just another annoying click, click, click, click... 4. Long loading times. No, it's not my hardware setup, believe you me. 5. The graphics aren't any better than DA2, say what you want. 6. Superfluous and offensive female-only nudity. If you want to be explicit, fine just show me some full frontal male nudity as well, to prevent me from thinking that you're some kind of sadist who fantasizes about big-breasted women in chains. Don't get me wrong, I think the game has many strengths the combat system rocks, imo, and the story is generally fairly engaging. It just doesn't deserve all the praise it's received, just as DA2 doesn't deserve all the scorn that's been heaped upon it. Expand
  29. Jun 26, 2013
    Purchased this game because of a Steam sale the other week, do not regret it! I would have paid full price. It is certainly one of the best games I have ever played.

Story 9.5/10
    Game play 9.5/10
    Graphics 9.7/10

The only problem I had was a few bugs here and there, but they weren't game breaking. Over all I give this game a 9.5/10.
  30. Jun 21, 2013
    Pretty epic game and improves upon The Witcher in several ways. The developers put a lot of time and effort into this game. Another AAA RPG that is best played on the PC
  31. Jun 16, 2013
    I installed the game today, I played through the tutorial, the first two quests and I was disillusioned. So many flaws and problems, where shall I begin?

Firstly, the animations: they are choppy. Whether it is Geralt's switch between running and walking or the general animation quality of enemies and NPC's, one can easily see: the developers are not able to deliver quality animations. The animations create a feeling of "amateurs at work". Feel free to disagree, but I am used to seeing another level of quality. For example, Resident Evil 5 or Dark Souls, see for your self.

Secondly, the controls: they are counter-intuitive, and the way the controller is treated clearly exposes the lack of experience and care by the developer when it comes to AAA products. An AAA product has to be on a high level regarding accessibility. The controls are chunky, imprecise and lack required customisation.

Then, bad graphics, yes, you've read correctly: bad graphics. Why? One should measure the graphics of a game not only by their fidelity when they are powered by the most powerful but also most expensive hardware available, but also by their efficiency and their aesthetics. The result is clear: the graphics are below average. Pushing the graphics based on superior hardware is a nice way of luring in new players and supporting the hardware manufacturers, but it does not say anything about the beauty of your game. Turn down the graphics to playable levels on an average gaming computer and you will get the picture. Games like “Forza Motorsport” or “The Last of Us” demonstrate what good graphics mean: they are beautiful to look at, not because of hardware-hungry effects, but because of aesthetical and skilled design. “The Witcher 2” is below average in this department.

Next, cluttered inventory: another unintuitive segment of the game. Be it the layout, responsiveness of the menus or the presentation, everything screams: clutter, badly optimised.

Also, the story: I know that most of you will argue that this is a strong point of the game. And I may not be in the position to judge the story based on my experience, but from what I saw and heard, it was cringe worthy. Cliché and corny, nothing felt mature or advanced. Contrary, it felt as hilarious as a B-movie.

This leads me to my last point: Bad voice acting. This feature complements and underlines the impression of a hard to care about and hilarious story. Geralt is barely hear able as he grunts and mumbles along, and the rest of the cast does sound more or less like amateurs, there are some exceptions though.

Overall, I cannot fight the impression that the developer was overambitious. They probably do have the imagination, the spirit and the creativity, but they certainly lack the technical know how, the talent and the experience in order to produce a high quality game, which would pay justice to their vision.

Slightly above average game. Ambitious, but lacking in many aspects: some crucial.

32. Oct 26, 2013
    There is no such thing as a perfect game, but Witcher 2:Enchanted Edition is really close to perfection. The first Witcher was a good game, but now it looks silly when compared to Witcher 2. In Witcher 2, combat is challenging and awesome, AI is clever, you are actually motivated to play on higher difficulties (new weapons, armours and finishers), multiple endings, choices that actuallyThere is no such thing as a perfect game, but Witcher 2:Enchanted Edition is really close to perfection. The first Witcher was a good game, but now it looks silly when compared to Witcher 2. In Witcher 2, combat is challenging and awesome, AI is clever, you are actually motivated to play on higher difficulties (new weapons, armours and finishers), multiple endings, choices that actually matter, interesting gameplay, skill tree etc. The only downsides I can think of is somehow messy inventory management (apparently, it was even worse before EE) and one stupid (and the worst) side quest. That's it. You can buy it for a reasonable price of 20 dollars on GOG, so there is no reason not to buy it. Expand
  33. Feb 15, 2014
    Bought this game from steam because it was on sale for 3,99€ and i got to say i haven't been disappointed. At first the game felt quite complicated, but once i got the hang of it i really started enjoying it. I would definitely recommend this game for anyone who likes rpg games.
  34. Aug 3, 2014
    This game is beautiful. Holy crap, just beautiful. Gives me feels. Original Witcher was sublime and this follows suit. Some linearity doesn't stop it from being immersive and feeling like a real goddamn world. 9.7/10.
  35. Apr 4, 2014
    My long written review just vanished in a server error, so I'll make it short.

This game does everything right. Story - deep and thought provoking Combat - engaging, fun and versatile Characters - believable and interesting World - beautiful, atmospheric and detailed Skill system - balanced and varied In my opinion easily the best game in years and on par with great RPGs such as
    My long written review just vanished in a server error, so I'll make it short.

This game does everything right.
    Story - deep and thought provoking
    Combat - engaging, fun and versatile
    Characters - believable and interesting
    World - beautiful, atmospheric and detailed
    Skill system - balanced and varied

In my opinion easily the best game in years and on par with great RPGs such as Gothic and Morrowind.
    With this game on hand I have great expectations for (and of) CD Project Red and their upcoming titles.
  36. Sep 30, 2014
    I really wanted to love this game, but the game play flaws are terrible.

WORST -camera all over the place made me sick, and wanting to puke -scripted combats .... hate this **** no freedom to chose what to do, just pressing a button that appears on the screen... fu$#k#ing ridiculous, finish animations get in the way of combat. -scenery no freedom , you will get stuck in little
    I really wanted to love this game, but the game play flaws are terrible.

WORST
    -camera all over the place made me sick, and wanting to puke
    -scenery no freedom , you will get stuck in little things, running nowhere at the edge of a precipices. can't even jump to the side of a freaking stair .

THE OK
    -the combat was nice(when it's not scripted) liked the preparation part , the two swords are cool
    -the history was ok, but execution and timing was poor ... fu3$#$ing third party narration by some kid.

it gets a 7 because i really liked the theme, will be waiting for the Witcher 3 :P
  37. May 19, 2015
    Great successor to the first game of the series. TW2 greatly improves where TW1 was lacking some polish, and still manages to tell you a great, involving story with meaningful choices and consequences. I mean - half of the game is completely different (Act 2) depending on who you choose to side with. That's huge.
    And the graphics. For me it is still one of the best looking cRPGs, even
    And the graphics. For me it is still one of the best looking cRPGs, even after 4 years from the release date.
    Combat system is very good, and demanding. A lot of people bash it for not being dumbed down, but if you're up for a challenge, it'll be a big plus for you.
  38. Jan 12, 2016
    Say what you will about a game's graphics, its story, its music, or its characters. If the gameplay is bad, the game is bad. This is a bad game. The combat is clunky and awful. The menu's are a chore to use, looting requires you to fiddle around with your character until you stand one the one precise pixel that'll allow the game to pick up your loot. Ultimately the game is far moreSay what you will about a game's graphics, its story, its music, or its characters. If the gameplay is bad, the game is bad. This is a bad game. The combat is clunky and awful. The menu's are a chore to use, looting requires you to fiddle around with your character until you stand one the one precise pixel that'll allow the game to pick up your loot. Ultimately the game is far more annoying than it is enjoyable Expand
  39. May 19, 2011
    I'm a huge fan of Dragon Age Origins, and felt VERY let down by Dragon Age 2. I honestly had to force myself to finish it. From that point on I had my hopes for a great RPG set on The Witcher 2. Now my opinion comes from having only played until near the end of Chapter 1, but the game is head and shoulders above Dragon Age 2 already. There are technical issues for sure, I've had toI'm a huge fan of Dragon Age Origins, and felt VERY let down by Dragon Age 2. I honestly had to force myself to finish it. From that point on I had my hopes for a great RPG set on The Witcher 2. Now my opinion comes from having only played until near the end of Chapter 1, but the game is head and shoulders above Dragon Age 2 already. There are technical issues for sure, I've had to re-verify the game cache through steam 3 times already for a launcher bug. The combat controls feel a bit wonky. I adapted to the original witcher combat controls fairly fast, but am having a slightly harder time with TW2. However I still feel like I'm learning tricks on how to fight better and to keep from getting killed all the time on normal. I'm a major RPG story guy, so i'm sad to hear that the story wraps up so poorly and that will probably lower my opinion of the game once there, but even with that considered, THE WITCHER 2 BLOWS DRAGON AGE 2 OUT OF THE WATER in my opinion. Expand
  40. May 19, 2011
    Witcher 2 is a game that isnâ
  41. May 19, 2011
    Just bought this game this morning at my local Gamestop. couldn't find it elsewhere and wanted a physical copy. It has been years since I have played a game this well made. I have never seen so much detail put into the ambiance and life of a town (haven't got that far yet). I'm so glad that are some dedicated developers out there still, they seem to be a dying breed. Really lookingJust bought this game this morning at my local Gamestop. couldn't find it elsewhere and wanted a physical copy. It has been years since I have played a game this well made. I have never seen so much detail put into the ambiance and life of a town (haven't got that far yet). I'm so glad that are some dedicated developers out there still, they seem to be a dying breed. Really looking forward to finishing it and replaying for the multiple endings and outcomes. Expand
  42. May 22, 2011
    Don't believe the hype, it's an o.k game, but not a goty, graphics is 8/10 ( with a powerful pc ) , combat 7/10 (hack & slash ) , story is 8/10, controls and interface = consolport, it deserves an eigth , but not better .
  43. Dec 31, 2012
    The good: It's pretty.
    The good: It's pretty.
    The bad: Pretty much the rest of the game. Poor controls (non-customizable, feels like a bad Xbox port) no open world, you can't jump?, interface is bad, NOT an RPG, combat is horribly clunky, no replayability... really, very poorly done. I honestly bet the mod community could write a "witcher" mod and have it done in half the time, on 0 budget, and have it play 2000% better.

It get's 1 pt from me for the graphics, but nothing else.
  44. Jul 9, 2011
    Not as good as the first part IMHO, but still a very good game. Basically I'd like it to be slightly longer and not have certain inconsistencies and sudden jumps of the plot. Love the new fighting system, graphics are awesome, most parts of the game glue you to the screen. There are no more issues with having to fight the drowned dead all the time, which was irritating in the first partNot as good as the first part IMHO, but still a very good game. Basically I'd like it to be slightly longer and not have certain inconsistencies and sudden jumps of the plot. Love the new fighting system, graphics are awesome, most parts of the game glue you to the screen. There are no more issues with having to fight the drowned dead all the time, which was irritating in the first part (per game mechanics and there constant respawning regardless of yout level, shouldn't they just run away?). Some memorable characters, primarily Roche. On the down side, I really wished that more characters were more develped in this game. Expand
  45. Aug 3, 2011
    Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!Good!!
  46. Oct 2, 2012
    Witcher 2 represents a brilliant effort at role-playing game design, that if anything took itself too seriously, and so fell a deal short of its potential. This game however was made with passion and love for its characters, its world, its tale! That level of passion pushes the game towards a 10/10 score despite a fairly large number of warts, blemishes and imperfections. If nothing else,Witcher 2 represents a brilliant effort at role-playing game design, that if anything took itself too seriously, and so fell a deal short of its potential. This game however was made with passion and love for its characters, its world, its tale! That level of passion pushes the game towards a 10/10 score despite a fairly large number of warts, blemishes and imperfections. If nothing else, the game tells a story worth witnessing to the end. It's a game perhaps to be bought and played only once. But that once should suffice to crete powerful memories, much like reading a good book or seeing a good movie. This game has a GREAT plot. GREAT characters heros villains and NPCs. Great locations. Even the combat is pretty good once you figure out how to do it (hint: roll roll roll roll, never walk always roll) With every reccommendation in the world, potential players need to be warned of the shortcomings of Witcher 2: (1) The implementation of quick time events is TERRIBLE. (2)The combat is clumsy, (3) The lack of camera flexibility is TERRIBLE in a game that demands reactions, and skill. (4) The U.I is extremely bothersome to use. (5) The explorable world is too small. (6) The story is too short. (7) The ending is REALLY BAD. (8) No real replayability after a first playthrough. Cudos go to the designers for patching the first release and for lots of free DLC and a great attitude to their customer base. We can only pray they keep their level of passion for their work and find a way to offer all they do well again in a larger space with more player imput. CD Projekt Red have shown themselves to be a design team to watch and pray for. If these guys do everything right we could have a true masterpiece on our hands. Expand
  47. May 26, 2011
    Finally! An RPG that doesnâ
  48. May 27, 2011
    So I just finished The Witcher 2 and I am left feeling a little undecided still. There were moments that were fantastic and others where I struggled to force myself to go on. I am a great fan of the old classics. The first Baldur's Gate game still stands out in my mind but I enjoyed the sequel, as well as Morrowind and Oblivion - the latter slightly less than the former. So I suppose itSo I just finished The Witcher 2 and I am left feeling a little undecided still. There were moments that were fantastic and others where I struggled to force myself to go on. I am a great fan of the old classics. The first Baldur's Gate game still stands out in my mind but I enjoyed the sequel, as well as Morrowind and Oblivion - the latter slightly less than the former. So I suppose it comes down to taste. I thought there were some good scripting moments but a lot of the time I had no real idea what people were talking about (perhaps a symptom of having played but not finished the first game) or even if I did know what they were talking about I just didn't care. I wasn't fighting my own fight but merely a pawn in a greater struggle I had no real sympathy for. I was really excited about the combat after the first couple of tutorial fights. I played through Demon's Souls a number of times and loved that and there were certainly similarities. But sadly that was as good as it got. As you upgrade your skills the combat becomes less and less skillful and more and more of a button-mash fest. This was a real disappointment.

So all in all I liked the game but certainly didn't love it. It was a big improvement from the first one in many ways and hopefully they can continue that trend with what will almost certainly be a third game. On the right track but not quite there yet. Good, but not great. 7.5/10
  49. May 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Witcher is best game i've ever played. I enjoyed 3years playing Oblivion, and then came Witcher1. I like Dragon age 1, but thing that BIOWARE did to DA2 is not to forgive. Only thing that is bad in W2 is ending.
    I recommend it to all !
  50. May 26, 2011
    For me, the game is excellent! Beautiful, quite difficult and addictive.
    Some people here probably don't know how to read. Clearly it is written - from 18 years! Too difficult for you? Everything has to be easy and friendly as for preschoolers?
    Well, kids, TW2 is not for you. Wait a few years.
    My real rating is 9.8.
  51. Aug 2, 2011
    The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings is very good game, with amazing graphics, good gameplay with a pretty good story, with non-linear story, nice characters. Game have several errors, but not enough and do not hinder the game.
  52. Jul 16, 2011
    Starting off being one of the best RPG's I have ever played, the last two chapters did not shine off so well to me. The beginning was beautiful and wonderful, don't get me wrong. The story, setting, characters, and map design felt fresh and great to play in. The combat has gotten more difficult, which I like to see in games (considering how many games like to go easy on players theseStarting off being one of the best RPG's I have ever played, the last two chapters did not shine off so well to me. The beginning was beautiful and wonderful, don't get me wrong. The story, setting, characters, and map design felt fresh and great to play in. The combat has gotten more difficult, which I like to see in games (considering how many games like to go easy on players these days). However, I was not a fan of the potion-usage in the Witcher 2. In fact, I still question what was wrong with just keeping the Witcher 1's potion usage. Did they feel like being able to use your potion whenever was wrong? Unless I missed something, you could only use your potion when meditating, but it's a matter of opinons. When I entered the city in Chapter 3 (I believe), something felt off. It really did not feel like there was much to do and there really wasn't. The main quest line was a breeze and the dragon fight felt a little unsatisfying to me, it honest to god did not felt like I fought a dragon. And then in the epilogue, I did not like how they decided to have the bad guy (forgot his name, sorry) answer all your questions right there and then, instead of answering the questions slowly. He had at least 25 things to say (if you decided to listen) and I was sitting there wondering "Why couldn't they just answer some of these things over the game, not at once." And the ending was just so bland, it really had no meaning. The Witcher 1's ending was very intense and very story-compelling to me, they gave you a very good reason why the bad guy's were doing what they did. In the Witcher 2, the bad guy assassinated kings, which sparked off revolts, just because the king in the south caught him and said "I will start a new Witcher academy if you kill the king". Felt cliche and bland to me. To sum it up for any "tl;dr" people. First half of the game: Witcher 2>Witcher 1. Ending chapters of the game: Witcher 1 >>>>>>>>>> Witcher 2. Let's hope in the Witcher 3 that they can ultimately conclude this game series with a very interesting and mind-twisting ending. Expand
  53. Jul 31, 2011
    Well worth my money, and can't wait for the next one. Really enjoyed the depth of decision making and the outcomes of my choices, and this game trumps DA2.
  54. Aug 2, 2011
    Great game, one of the best of the year. Excellent graphics and visuals, good story and excellent atmosphere. The game play is very good and after a while you forget you are even playing a game. Choices in the game will effect the overall experience and enhance the replay value. Also; it is nice to see more non linear games coming out.
  55. Dec 20, 2012
    Nope. This doesn't do it. This is way too HACK and SLASH for an RPG and take away the cut scenes, what do you have? Hack and slash through one wave of badies, next wave spawns - etc. etc. Do I like or care about the main character? Nope. his dull monotone voice and long hair just gets on my nerves. Maybe OK for all the console owners out there - but I prefer something with a little moreNope. This doesn't do it. This is way too HACK and SLASH for an RPG and take away the cut scenes, what do you have? Hack and slash through one wave of badies, next wave spawns - etc. etc. Do I like or care about the main character? Nope. his dull monotone voice and long hair just gets on my nerves. Maybe OK for all the console owners out there - but I prefer something with a little more thought, planning and intelligence. Expand
  56. Feb 21, 2013
    Being a total noob at RPGs, I bought this game because I thought the combat looked very good and graphics were awesome. But don't trust the reviews. This game is far too complicated and has too many elements. Graphics are nice and I'm sure there's a good game in there for hardcore dungeon dwellers, but for me it's too complicated. This is NOT a simple Action RPG. The tutorial doesn't do aBeing a total noob at RPGs, I bought this game because I thought the combat looked very good and graphics were awesome. But don't trust the reviews. This game is far too complicated and has too many elements. Graphics are nice and I'm sure there's a good game in there for hardcore dungeon dwellers, but for me it's too complicated. This is NOT a simple Action RPG. The tutorial doesn't do a bad job, but it certainly is off-putting. Expand
  57. Jun 17, 2011
    Just finished the game (on Hard setting). Ok... I wanted to love this game, my hopes were high throughout the prologue but then realized it just wasn't to be. First, the graphics are downright beautiful... more-so static than in motion as the game is plagued by horrid texture pop-in regardless of settings and a high-end gpu, at least for myself and quite a few others. Shrubs and rocks willJust finished the game (on Hard setting). Ok... I wanted to love this game, my hopes were high throughout the prologue but then realized it just wasn't to be. First, the graphics are downright beautiful... more-so static than in motion as the game is plagued by horrid texture pop-in regardless of settings and a high-end gpu, at least for myself and quite a few others. Shrubs and rocks will change size when you are within 5 feet of them - understandable for consoles but not for current gpus. Now... the story... The game is divided into 3 chapters. It is extremely political (more than The Witcher 1) and may be unsatisfying to some people. I found it rather dry, but not horrid. I would have preferred less of the medieval political intrigue and more character development along with a more fantasy/mythological outlook, but I suppose they were trying to keep in context to the books... Now, the combat... I didn't hate it but I didn't like it. I found the first Witcher game to have a more satisfying combat system with the role timing played in it. The Witcher 2 took away the timing as well as the group, fast and strong styles, opting for a simple parry system (which I very very rarely used in the game) and the steel sword/ silver sword combo along with magic. The main problem in my view is the balance. I spent 95% of my time using the same strategy for EVERY enemy, and not because I didn't want to experiment but because everything else took much longer and just didn't work as well. It worked like this - use Quen (guard spell that basically makes you invincible for a few seconds), dodge, attack and kill with sword. You have 3 paths you can take for development - Magic, Swordplay, and Alchemy. I first went for magic, but when realizing how pathetic a fully upgraded fire spell was compared to the sword I lost interest. Now for the alchemy - the game has made this quite a chore in my opinion. You can no longer use potions at anytime. You must use them BEFORE battle. And every time it requires an animation scene that definitely could have been shortened. Because of this I never used potions. Let me reiterate - even on Hard combat requires nothing more than what I mentioned before. Also, for some reason they decided to take away storage. You will be spending a lot of time with too much weight on your hands and will try to decide what you need to keep and throw away/or sell. Some might like this but I didn't not find it enjoyable. Now... the environments. I found them to be beautiful but they felt very limited. The witcher cannot swim. He cannot jump. This isn't open-world. Therefore everything seemed rather linear to me. The environments are nice but not nice enough to prevent you from getting tired of them after doing more than a few quests through them - my main gripe of the first witcher. There isn't much interaction with the environment other than lighting and unlighting fires. The NPCs say the same things constantly regardless of time of day often, and as the chapters progress they seem to say less and less. The diffictultiy... starts off pretty difficult on hard but by the 2nd chapter is pretty easy. I found the ending to be quite unsatisfactory as well, but I won't spoil anything. Expand
  58. Sep 10, 2013
    This is most likely to be the worst rpg ever made.

This is most likely to be the worst rpg ever made.

The original concept of witcher is gone game looks like a freak'd up doom 1 and whole combat system destroyed. I wonder how is it that both Bioware and Red managed to screw up their best looking rpg games in the history of gaming. I mean for example Baldur's Gate was a perfect game which then was continued same style to Baldur's Gate 2 and that was MAKING gaming history while same company managed then to screw up both Baldur's Gate franchise and after again making a perfect rpg like Dragon Age they yet again manager to screw it up by the dlc and next Dragon Age 2 which I would rate even less than 0 if I could.

Exact above happens here Witcher was nearly a perfect role-playing game where as Witcher 2 is complete waste of time with idiotic development decisions made by simply keeping old name story and trying to develop completely new while there was never anything wrong with the old with exception of "We want to sell our product to consoles" which literally means that game sucks 9 ways to sun down every time I hear that. Those words alone means no top down NOT AN RPG.. It's an Gothic with new wrap and we all know how that was.

I would like to grant this title even 1 point but even the engine optimization is so damn bad I simply don't want to.
  59. May 28, 2011
    I finished the game last night for the first time and I have to say I'm disappointed. Last night I completed Act III AND the Epilogue. Yes, they are short enough to complete in one night, about 2.5 hrs in fact. What happened CDProject? Did you run out of money? Time? Enthusiasm? The ending is piss-poor. The story is such a huge build up, the King has been killed, all other lands will beI finished the game last night for the first time and I have to say I'm disappointed. Last night I completed Act III AND the Epilogue. Yes, they are short enough to complete in one night, about 2.5 hrs in fact. What happened CDProject? Did you run out of money? Time? Enthusiasm? The ending is piss-poor. The story is such a huge build up, the King has been killed, all other lands will be fighting over the Kingdom, we have to find the Kingslayer. Then at the end, nothing. Nothing is resolved. You get a cut-scene where a few people are talking, you have a bit of a fight then that's it. The Epilogue is you finding the Kingslayer. And even selecting every conversation option it only lasts 5 minutes. You get a crafting diagram for some really good armour but you only get to wear it for 5 minutes. You get a crafting diagram for a really good silver sword but you don't get the final ingredient until the very end of Act III but there's no one round to make it so what's the point? Unless the free DLC's that CDProject keep going on about extend the end of the game and aren't just some stupid additional quests that last about an hour, then CDProject turned this game from GOTY material into just another good RPG. Which is a real shame as up to the end of Act II it's amazing and deserves 10/10. So disappointing. I give it 7.5/10. I think a lot of these reviews are over-generous. And that's probably because a lot of them haven't played it through to the end yet. Oh well, guess I'll go back to the Witcher 1. Expand
  60. Nov 4, 2012
    I do not understand this game. The "action" is slow and boring and the story didn't interest me whatsoever. Just moving around the world is clunky and feels like an interactive (bad) movie.
  61. Sep 5, 2011
    It's a good RPG but I found the combat system was a bit of a backwards step and spoilt what remained, the graphical performance was ropey at release despite having a high end PC... and TBH the effects didn't impress me to much, could have done this on the original's engine and would have been just as good.
  62. Jul 14, 2014
    I had a great time playing The Witcher 2. The quality of this title exceeded my expectations. And while I can not recommend this game for younger players due to the mature content, I would definitely recommend it for older players, particularly if you are a fan of The original Conan comics, as I feel there are a lot of similarities in the way these works are played out. The gameI had a great time playing The Witcher 2. The quality of this title exceeded my expectations. And while I can not recommend this game for younger players due to the mature content, I would definitely recommend it for older players, particularly if you are a fan of The original Conan comics, as I feel there are a lot of similarities in the way these works are played out. The game features Elves, Dwarves, and humans, along with plenty of monsters, and magic. The story is very complex, and the characters are all richly developed. Most importantly, there is a combat system that is both challenging, and entertaining. The voice work is top notch, and the graphics and music are triple A quality. I have to say that this game takes the crown as my favorite role playing game since the Mass Effect games. Expand
  63. Sep 17, 2011
    I'm fan of Witcher 1 and after the first reviews of assassins of Kings i was sure it will be perfect score. not this time. i compared this game to prodecessor and i found too many missing elements. Where's trophy monsters? Where's interesting NPC's out of main city? Where's length which was in first game? But there's not all - where's breath-taking ending, which was in original Witcher?I'm fan of Witcher 1 and after the first reviews of assassins of Kings i was sure it will be perfect score. not this time. i compared this game to prodecessor and i found too many missing elements. Where's trophy monsters? Where's interesting NPC's out of main city? Where's length which was in first game? But there's not all - where's breath-taking ending, which was in original Witcher? huge dissapointment. Expand
  64. Mar 20, 2014
    Best gaming experience of my life.
    Poor default controls especially for signs and unable to change them without exit.
    Game like this deserves some farming for items... Gauntlets,boots and trousers...you can play the entire game without changing them(there is no point exept for insane difficulty). You can buy amazing armor and swords from vendors(the diagram crafting concept is wasted)
    Best gaming experience of my life.
    Game like this deserves some farming for items...
    Signs can use tooltips describing their effect, duration, damage etc.
  65. May 20, 2014
    Cons:
    -Plays way better in a controller vs playing it with mouse + keyboard.
    -Needs more naked women! XD -Resource demanding (con if you play it on low end computer). Pros: -Excellent story. -Excellently written characters, they all feel obscenely real. -Awesome decision system and the way those decisions determine the events of the game. -Great replayability, since a decision
    Cons:
    -Plays way better in a controller vs playing it with mouse + keyboard.
    -Needs more naked women! XD
    -Resource demanding (con if you play it on low end computer).

Pros:
    -Excellent story.
    -Excellently written characters, they all feel obscenely real.
    -Great replayability, since a decision you make at the end of Chapter 1, will give you different Chapters 2 & 3.
    -The morale of the game rejects black and white perspectives, giving it a more realistic feel.
    -DRM free.
    -In game porn.
    -Minigames like dice poker are fun.
    -Amazing music.
    -Amazing visuals.
    -Talent trees allow you to customize your game play in 3 different ways.
  66. Sep 21, 2014
    One of the best games- and the best rpg I have ever played. Graphics and the atmosphere are superb, but what really makes this game outstanding is it's character- and storywriting. It's story is very complex, but if you spent some time trying to understand it you will be rewarded with a intelligent written story full of memorable moments, twists and political issues. The combat is decentOne of the best games- and the best rpg I have ever played. Graphics and the atmosphere are superb, but what really makes this game outstanding is it's character- and storywriting. It's story is very complex, but if you spent some time trying to understand it you will be rewarded with a intelligent written story full of memorable moments, twists and political issues. The combat is decent but compared to other aspects not outstanding. But still- this game deserves a 10/10. I play rpg's since 15 years and Witcher 2 managed to became my new #1 Expand
  67. May 23, 2011
    So this is my second review here, TW2 is one of the best RPG games I've played - it has great graphics, good humor, nice story, animations and so on but on the second hand simply I can't give this game more than 7,5. CD Project Red I hope your next game will be better and thanks for TW2!
  68. Jul 22, 2012

Witcher 2 is a steaming pile of crap that has been polished with nice graphics. Storyline went to hell (Starting with the **** intro sequence that had no meaning, continuing with the interrogation phase which was all shot to hell when you

Witcher 2 is a steaming pile of crap that has been polished with nice graphics.
    the interrogation phase which was all shot to hell when you decided to play a wiseass - so mixing up the story sequence - and on and on...).
    The collectible card game aspect of witcher 1 (the bedded women were represented as cards) was
    criticised by many. W2 doesn't have it - instead it uses up every excuse to show off nude skin, and
    even throws in lame jokes about "lesbomancy", which made me cringe in embarrassment for the original developers.
    The "dark" world is supposedly conveyed by every single male character swearing all the time, and
    singing about **** Somehow this is "dark" and "adult" content, instead of conveying it in story line.
    Compare with the scoia'tel story line of Witcher 1 and you'll see the difference.

All in all, if you liked Witcher 1, you probably won't like W2. Then again, if you are a console gamer
    expecting a no-brainer runthrough game with nice graphics and plenty of **** this is the game for you!
  69. May 22, 2012
    Its got kinda bugged controles. Didnt like the way they decided to make the 3rd person view work. Its a ok+ story but I wouldnt rly recomend buying this. Get something different like Skyrim if you want a RPG
  70. Oct 23, 2012
    Dont go anywhere near this title, awful performance even on high end systems stutter, low flucuating fps, a total and utter shambles and no amount of fixes will help it.
    Keep away from this lazy console port absolute rubbish so sick of developers thinking they can release games in this condition rubbish !!!!!
  71. Jul 31, 2011
    The original Witcher is possibly the best game i have ever played. It had everything you could want or ask. Witcher 2 to me is a bit of letdown. First the positives. The game graphics are beautiful , the story is great and the music is incredible. Now the negatives. The controls are wonky as hell, i just started to get used to them and the game finished. Game length is i think 1/4 of theThe original Witcher is possibly the best game i have ever played. It had everything you could want or ask. Witcher 2 to me is a bit of letdown. First the positives. The game graphics are beautiful , the story is great and the music is incredible. Now the negatives. The controls are wonky as hell, i just started to get used to them and the game finished. Game length is i think 1/4 of the size of the original. There are many choices to make which promotes replays but i was so shocked it was over i couldn't muster the will to start again. I got it on release and there where many bugs and crashes which were very frustrating because i could not completely immerse myself in the world because i was thinking it would crash any minute. In saying that CD Project are well known for there post release fixes so i hope that is sorted. Bottom line is that i was looking forward to this game for several years and for me it was over in 10 hours. For an FPS that is small but for an RPG it is almost criminal. That ontop of the constant crashes and lack of real control of the character i can only give it a disappointing 5/10 Expand
  72. Dec 13, 2012
    Loved the first witcher, it was a true RPG. This iteration is not an RPG, its a platformer. I hate platformers and hitting all the platformer stages is just annoying.
  73. Aug 2, 2011
    This game is NOT equal to its predecessor nor does it supersede the first Witcher title. Indeed it is a step backwards for the franchise.

The storyline is weak, sporadic, uninspired and incomplete. The game engine is full of bugs or just plain bad designs. Scripts break, characters get stuck a lot, and controls are very cumbersome and response time is slow. The only decent "mini-game"

The storyline is weak, sporadic, uninspired and incomplete.

The game engine is full of bugs or just plain bad designs. Scripts break, characters get stuck a lot, and controls are very cumbersome and response time is slow. The only decent "mini-game" is dice, whereas the fist fights are "press correct key at the correct time" and the arm wrestling is just plain goofy and uncontrollable.

The potions system is decent save for you have to be in meditate mode to use a potion and you can't meditate once combat starts so you'll often fine when you need the potions most you won't be able to use them without reloading a save, meditating to drink the potions, then continue to the fight.

The game is beautiful. Textures and environments are top notch, models and characters are nicely rendered, and animations are excellent.

But the aforementioned flaws will have you constantly reloading because of a broken quest, or your character is stuck, or you need to potion up before an unexpected fight. (You could always make sure potions are up but then you'd be spending most of your time foraging for ingredients to support that much use as potions run 10 minutes max).

All in all this game is an extreme disappointment from the first. It's sad to see the developers go from one of the greatest (if not the greatest) RPG to a sequel that falls short of the first in every way except for the visual and sound.
  74. gas
    Nov 30, 2011
    Im going to update my rating from 6/10 to 7/10 for the 2.0 patch relase.

This is my past review talking about the first release: Dont get me wrong, i think this game is quite good at the end, i personally trust in CDP as developer, they did a great job patching and improving the witcher 1, proving they aim to be a solid company for their customers. Im not talking about bugs here because
    Im going to update my rating from 6/10 to 7/10 for the 2.0 patch relase.

This is my past review talking about the first release:
    Dont get me wrong, i think this game is quite good at the end, i personally trust in CDP as developer, they did a great job patching and improving the witcher 1, proving they aim to be a solid company for their customers. Im not talking about bugs here because actually even with 1.1 patch the game is full of them, but we know everything possible will be fixed later on. CDP did a huge step forward with this release with the introduction of a new and great engine, but there are many opinable if not poor decisions about developing different aspects of the game. There is a very poor design of all the menus (inventory, crafting system, trading etc) and a gameplay too much script based, really limiting the freedom, in many occasions the game plays like an interactive movie as don bluth dragon's lair, not sure how some ppl can see an rpg masterpiece in this mess. The new engine is one of the best if not the best around, the game even at mid video setting looks impressive. The music and the audio effects are excellent, anyway most of the npcs are repeating to death the same statement every 5 seconds when you stand near them, which is really really annoying. The combat system is different from wt1, now its full real time and its developed to be played with a joypad more then keyboard+mouse, anyway it works fine and its fun and interesting as idea. There are ranged weapons like throwing knives (actually op) and bombs, many different traps to place on floor, the possibility to parry (and counterattack if you have the proper talent), the signs to add more depth. Overall the combat system is fun and nice, it relays a lot on the user skill and i think the result is quite good. Anyway after some time you will see some issues in this system cause the best tactic at the end is always rolling on the floor like a madman and strike when you can, in many occasions it seems just an hack'n'slash, but i return to tell, the combat system has his ups and downs, but overall its good. On a side note the use of the potions is different from wt1, you need to drink the potions out of combat, so you should prepare yourself before a fight, too bad this system obviously works only if you know in advance if you are going to be involved in a fight, wich is possible only with a die-and-reload-gameplay. Bad choice tbh, as potions should be part of the withcer combat arsenal and in this game you will end to use potions only after you died in a fight to repeat it with a little help, also the pots lasts too little and you will end to use them marginally. The story may be appealing itself but if you played tw1 and you know what happened before it make no sense at all in many circumstances, the problem is how the story is implemented in the game, and especially the fact Gerald seems always without the knowledge of any important event, person, situation, that should be part of his background. I will not go specific here to avoid spoilers but just the fact that Gerald starts as level 1 character having issues to beat even the most crap solider, without the knowledge of any monster is totally in contrast with any possible prelude to this plot. The gameplay is action based, heavily cinematic and deeply scripted, with a very limited freedom in interaction and exploration, and short dialogues with very limited choices. The looting system is not really user friendly, its hard to position Gerald to pick up items, also the window is very tiny and you cant scale it. The inventory system and the menu in general are the weak part of this game, you cant sort junk from all the rest, so you need to pass the whole inventory list looking every line one by one to check what is junk and what not, what to buy or sell. there is not the possibility to sort the schematics resulting in a huge list of potions, upgrades, crafting sheets etc with no possibility even to sort them alphabetically. There is not any customization and even if the game was a console port i think its possible to do something better then this. Trading and alchemy suffers the same issue. What you can carry is based on weights, the game is full of different ingredients, patterns, items in general and you will see soon that what you can carry is quite limited, so at a point you will end to continue go back and forth to sell items or just you will leave most of the loot on the floor. Mini games should be cut out. I think this game is a great title under some aspects, but its really lacking in others. Tbh even if this was announced as an rpg made for pc, the feeling is to play a console oriented game. This game plays more similar to console action games then any rpg, its oki CDP wanted to implement something more modern into a genre maybe a bit redundant, but the result seems looking more to the console market then the expectations of the rpg players.
  75. Jul 7, 2011
    Just finished ....Omg im so pissed by mine ending ....That ehhh....Nvm Great Game 10/10 for all..just combat sucks a lil.But music and game play is so epic.
  76. May 21, 2011
    Pro: best graphic I have ever seen in a game, great mature story that has nothing to do with fighting mindless horde of orcs/undeads or spawns and saving the world again, best immersion and atmosphere I have experienced in a video game for many, many years, well optimized and no technical problems at all for me (Q6600@3.4Ghz, Ati 4870 512 RAM, 8 Gb RAM) CON: Combat - is veryPro: best graphic I have ever seen in a game, great mature story that has nothing to do with fighting mindless horde of orcs/undeads or spawns and saving the world again, best immersion and atmosphere I have experienced in a video game for many, many years, well optimized and no technical problems at all for me (Q6600@3.4Ghz, Ati 4870 512 RAM, 8 Gb RAM) CON: Combat - is very action-oriented and poorly balanced (regular fights are to easy, boss fights are way to difficult, upgrades of armors and weapons barely noticeable in actual game play). If I would like to play something like this I would buy Assassin Creed. From a game that claims to be an RPG I expect more of a brain use to win fights, and not just a fast reflex in my index finger...messy inventory interface, low replayability value, some minor bugs, especially with crafting. Expand
  77. Sep 25, 2011
    Witcher 2 was a highly anticipated game for me and I was sorely disappointed. The good points are as follows: Amazing graphics, great sounds, immersive game world, wonderful story. However, the bad points make the game unplayable. They are: VERY POOR game play, horrible character controls (movement / interaction) feels very much like the game was designed for consoles first, Combat isWitcher 2 was a highly anticipated game for me and I was sorely disappointed. The good points are as follows: Amazing graphics, great sounds, immersive game world, wonderful story. However, the bad points make the game unplayable. They are: VERY POOR game play, horrible character controls (movement / interaction) feels very much like the game was designed for consoles first, Combat is just simply awful !!!!!! This game is simply hack and slash. Very much an arcade console type game. Combat feels very much like super Mario brothers. I purchased the game at release and attempted to play for about 2 hours after which I turned it off disgusted. Months later I give it another shot and played through the prolog and into chapter 1 a bit before once again stopping. This time I uninstalled the game. I am so disgusted that I sat down and took the time out of my Sunday to write this so others would not waste their money as well. You will notice a large amount of 10 ratings. All I can say is that this must be the younger generation who were raised on arcade, action style games such as God of War. If you are of the younger generation and prefer quick arcade style, button pushing, jumping around, style combat then go for it. However, if you are the older generation and long for true strategy based RPG combat then donâ Expand
  78. Aug 4, 2012
    The game suffers from poor controls, feels like a bad port whereas this wasnt the case but it sill feels like real **** controls. Combat is clunky much like combat in AC games. The world and game is so linear its maddening. You literally run back and forth the entire game. Inventory is a pain in the arse to manage with all the flower picking this game wants you to do. Its really a pissThe game suffers from poor controls, feels like a bad port whereas this wasnt the case but it sill feels like real **** controls. Combat is clunky much like combat in AC games. The world and game is so linear its maddening. You literally run back and forth the entire game. Inventory is a pain in the arse to manage with all the flower picking this game wants you to do. Its really a piss poor game with **** story is nothing great either, and why does the witcher MUMBLE the whole game. Pass on this one, not worth your time! Expand
  79. Aug 1, 2011
    The graphics and story are terrific. The choice system is a breath of fresh air because it doesn't dumb everything down to evil or good. However, it crashes frequently. Even worse, throwing a grenade at the wrong time, or even just randomly after a cutscene, Geralt will be unable to move or attack and you have to load your previous save which could be over an hour back. I think this gameThe graphics and story are terrific. The choice system is a breath of fresh air because it doesn't dumb everything down to evil or good. However, it crashes frequently. Even worse, throwing a grenade at the wrong time, or even just randomly after a cutscene, Geralt will be unable to move or attack and you have to load your previous save which could be over an hour back. I think this game needed another couple of months of beta testing - I feel I purchased an incomplete product. Expand
  80. Sep 11, 2011
    This game went the same direction as Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. RPG elements cut down to minimal, lots of sexual attractivity to lure the horny masses in front of the screen and a washed-up rest of what was a great game in Witcher 1. What a pity ..
  81. Jul 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great story, great characters. Like another reviewer posted, as an interactive movie, the game is fantastic. The graphics and voice acting are fabulous too.

Gameplay, however, is terrible. Why? Here are a few examples:
    Control over the moves of your character is very limited. The game chooses when you move forward with a sword strike, which often ends up with the character in a space you did not want him in.
    The over the shoulder camera movement has been executed very poorly. Often times, the camera will move as you get into a corner, which will move the 'target' to another opponent, or end up with a tree branch completely blocking your view. I found it very disorienting to have my camera jump like that.
    Quite a few combat scenes start out immediately, giving you 0 time to react, meaning reloading at least once for all the important fights.
    First fight with the kingslayer can be won by repeatedly pounding the fast hit key. Wii Sports swordfight has better combat.
    This is not a PC game. Same key does a sword attack, opens doors, reads posters, etc. Also, the stealth part of the game is the worst in gaming history.
    The signs are unbalanced: get Quen level 2 and every combat is a cake walk even on difficult.
    Inventory management, although pretty and a great improvement over Witcher 1, has not been polished. If you want to make more than one potion with certain ingredients, you have set the ingredients for each potion you want to make.

All that criticism aside, I am addicted to the storyline and will play the game to the end.
  82. Aug 27, 2013
    I gave up on this game. When I approach the edge of a high structure, I expect the character to jump or fall down. Every mission I played was like running in a corridor. I was fighting with the controls, not the enemies. Last but not least, the over-saturated colors completely ruined the immersion for me.
  83. Dec 30, 2012
    Wow it looks like the Witcher 2 company paid someone to come in and post a bunch of positive reviews on this site. At best This is the same thing that Bioware tried to pull off with DA II, just better executed, but it is still light years away from great classics like Baldur Gates/Wizardy/Might and Magic/Elder Scroll series. Poor console port, lame combat and really long and annoying cut scenes
  84. May 29, 2011
    Nowhere near as good as the original. Completely linear. Might as well just watch the game unfold without controlling it. Graphics are amazing, but LA Noire leaves me feeling duped by outdated technology.
  85. Apr 29, 2012
    The game is mediocre at best, due to developers never stopping to think what would actually be fun in a game. Would it be fun to wander around without knowing which way is north? No, but that's what you are forced to do. Would it be fun to not be able to drink potions in battle? No, but you have to spend a minute navigating menus and watching Geralt take a sip and a breath every time youThe game is mediocre at best, due to developers never stopping to think what would actually be fun in a game. Would it be fun to wander around without knowing which way is north? No, but that's what you are forced to do. Would it be fun to not be able to drink potions in battle? No, but you have to spend a minute navigating menus and watching Geralt take a sip and a breath every time you do. You also have to repeat the process every 10 minutes. Would it be fun to have size 3 font at HD resolutions? No, but that's how it is. Would it be fun to be unable to attack at full strength after using signs? No, but, inexplicably, that's how it is. Expand
  86. Jun 14, 2011
    Decent game. The graphics aren't as great as people claim, and the game is fairly restrictive as far as exploration is concerned. Combat can be difficult at first, but becomes comfortable with more experience. It's somewhat buggy, though most have been stomped out via patches. Despite the flaws it's a solid RPG with good replay value.
  87. Sep 9, 2015
    Upon reading and hearing so much positives about The Witcher 2, finally got my hands on the game for less than $10 on Steam sale. Booted it up, played the game on max setting. Omg, the graphics looks stunning. And... that's pretty much the good thing about it... I played for about 3 hours or slightly more and I just couldn't continue. In that 3 hours there were so many things that I didn'tUpon reading and hearing so much positives about The Witcher 2, finally got my hands on the game for less than $10 on Steam sale. Booted it up, played the game on max setting. Omg, the graphics looks stunning. And... that's pretty much the good thing about it... I played for about 3 hours or slightly more and I just couldn't continue. In that 3 hours there were so many things that I didn't like and I'm going to list them here.

Granted, the biggest mistake I made (and I know people are going to tell me it's my own fault) is that I played it using mouse+keyboard, I know, I'm sorry but I don't have a controller. Therefore controls seems very clunky and playing a 3rd person game without a controller is just... it's unnatural. So if I can't enjoy the gameplay , what's the point in playing.
    Secondly, the menu.... ehm.... it's so old school and difficult to navigate that you just can't be bothered to go through it.
    Third, why are we given a fixed character in open-world rpg? In the Wither 2 you are forced to play as this old man, stereotypical and just feels weird playing as him. I just can't get attached to the main character. Not gonna spend hours looking at this old man.
    Finally, ok it's open-world, but nothing to do!! What the heck?? It's actually a rather linear game. The game wants you to p[lay it a certain way. it's wants you to fight a certain way... I know it's story-driven, but please refer to point 3. I'm not interested.

Doesn't matter how good the graphics are, or how big the game is. The fact is, I just don't like it. It's linear, it's not challenging, it doesn't require you to think or be creative.. just fight, boring cutscene starring old man, move to next point and fight again. Rinse and repeat. I know it's just $10, but I regreted it dearly =( FAIL!!
  88. Jul 5, 2012
    While the graphics are astounding, and the cut scenes are breathtaking, the actual game play is piss poor. When I actually have to plug in a controller on a computer to play a game correctly, something is dire wrong.
  89. Feb 7, 2013
    Witcher 1 was great. RPG game with good character development, story line and atmosphere that differed from all games of the genre at that time. Witcher 2 is a steaming pile of crap that has been polished with nice graphics.
  90. May 26, 2011
    Hello There
    Hello There
    Witcher is a cool game i must say, I'm from Poland but I wont blindly go with other whos said that Witcher is best game ever blah blah. First of all - Bugs. It should get a title Witcher Bug Catcher. In game is so many bugs: bug in instalation, patcher, DLC, registration. Every one option which is defaut in other games in Witcher is bugged. Its really not cool. OK game has good graphics, very clever dialogues, and overall good scenario. Its fun and challenging, in my opinion block system needs to be polished couse in first act game is way to difficult and even two weakest monsters in game are extremly dangerous because Geralt will block after animation attack will end, thats stupid, Should they do something like in Batman Arkham Asylum but hey we get what we get. I should give 9 or 8 score but I cant, I just cant. I know its a polish and I should give nice score but no. Every game deservs a fair score and Witcher didnt devervbe for more than 6. f they repair some of issues You should give 2 more points. Best regards from Poland, sorry for my eng its not perfect
  91. Aug 31, 2011
    Not as big as a console hatchet job as DA2 was, but the RPG elements have been cut down. Combat balancing was uneven and repetitive. I hated the potion system. The camera was atrocious. It's not very long, but you should get 2 very different run thoughs. A mixed bag, overall.
  92. mpr
    May 29, 2011
    Absolutely not impressed! Frustrated and annoyed: that's how I felt during the first two hours of play. To me, this is NOT a good role playing game, but nevertheless, still a decent action/adventure game. I really don't see what could justify all these 9 and 10 ratings out there. This is probably the most overrated game of the year...
  93. Dec 20, 2011
    The last RPG I played was Mass Effect 2. Am not really into these kinds of games as a rule but thought I'd check this out after seeing such good metascores. Suffice to say that I found the Witcher 2.0 to have some elements that I really liked - such as lush visuals, challenging combat and a complex story. However, even with a high-end PC and card I was having framerate issues and regularThe last RPG I played was Mass Effect 2. Am not really into these kinds of games as a rule but thought I'd check this out after seeing such good metascores. Suffice to say that I found the Witcher 2.0 to have some elements that I really liked - such as lush visuals, challenging combat and a complex story. However, even with a high-end PC and card I was having framerate issues and regular freezing. Also, the overarching story and back-story is so convoluted, that I found myself pining for less characters and a tighter plot. Biggest gripe though is with the inventory system and the combat. Some of the boss fights are literally rock hard, making Deus Ex's boss battles seem like a walk in the park. Maybe I didn't have the right equipment on me, but I've played and completed so many games I've lost count. Alas, I completed 90% of the Witcher then gave up, impressed to an extent but ultimately wanting a different kind of experience. Open world this is not. Expand
  94. May 24, 2012
    I gave this game a 3. That's because I left it around one third of the whole game. I wanted an RPG game like Witcher1, for the PC you know. And I ended up with a stupid consol platform/arcade. Why no official review mentions this? I tried to kill the 1st boss at least 40 times. It didn't work, the controls wasn't made for the PC. I played many action games - Crysis1-2, MOHs, CODs, MWs,I gave this game a 3. That's because I left it around one third of the whole game. I wanted an RPG game like Witcher1, for the PC you know. And I ended up with a stupid consol platform/arcade. Why no official review mentions this? I tried to kill the 1st boss at least 40 times. It didn't work, the controls wasn't made for the PC. I played many action games - Crysis1-2, MOHs, CODs, MWs, etc. Also online shooters. I load back 50 times if needed if something keeps me going on, but in W2 I just grew angrier... After many tries I gave in, used a cheat, played some more than deleted the game and sold it. This was the last time I actually bought a game without playing it through before... If game companies lie to me, I feel myself authorized to cheat too, but I won't. I play fair. But I pay only after playing it through... Expand
  95. May 28, 2011
    All I can say is some people are easily impressed and clearly taken in by the hype. While the world, the graphics and the writing are all first class, it's all let down by a disastrous combat system, obviously consolised UI a general lack of depth compared to the first Witcher game. The combat system is particularly bad, being laggy, unresponsive and repetitive (combat ultimately boilsAll I can say is some people are easily impressed and clearly taken in by the hype. While the world, the graphics and the writing are all first class, it's all let down by a disastrous combat system, obviously consolised UI a general lack of depth compared to the first Witcher game. The combat system is particularly bad, being laggy, unresponsive and repetitive (combat ultimately boils down to dodge-attack-dodge-attack ad nauseum). Plus there are some very strange design decisions (like not being able to drink potions in combat)

It's not a bad game by any means, but it could have been so much better.
  96. Jul 7, 2011
    This second part of The Witcher is not what it looks like. If you loved the first part, then run away from this 3rd Person Action Game with some light touches of RPG. It is exactly the same unfortunate story that previously happened with Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2. Although they used the same name followed by a 2, the gameplay is completely different. It is not a pure RPG, so ifThis second part of The Witcher is not what it looks like. If you loved the first part, then run away from this 3rd Person Action Game with some light touches of RPG. It is exactly the same unfortunate story that previously happened with Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2. Although they used the same name followed by a 2, the gameplay is completely different. It is not a pure RPG, so if like me this was what you were looking for, then you'll be disappointed (and with less money in your purse!). Expand
  97. Jul 9, 2011
    I enjoy the more "involved" RPG's like Baldurs Gate 2, Wizardry 8, Neverwinter Nights, DA:O (Dragon Age Origins) and the Witcher. I enjoy an RPG if it provides three things: (a) great plot and good story telling, (b) deep and meaningful character development, and (c) easy to learn combat system with tactical depth: The Witcher 2 has an original, complex and well written story. However, II enjoy the more "involved" RPG's like Baldurs Gate 2, Wizardry 8, Neverwinter Nights, DA:O (Dragon Age Origins) and the Witcher. I enjoy an RPG if it provides three things: (a) great plot and good story telling, (b) deep and meaningful character development, and (c) easy to learn combat system with tactical depth: The Witcher 2 has an original, complex and well written story. However, I didn't realize the extent of it until I was reaching it's end. The quests along the way are varied and entertaining, but I often found myself asking why I'm completing them. In chapter 1 I was fighting the Kayran instead of searching for the king slayer, in chapter 2 I was defending the peasantry in Vergan instead of searching for the king slayer, and in chapter 3 I was searching for Triss/Philippa instead of searching for the king slayer. Yes, everything ties in with the king slayer, but only at the end do you truly understand why. I would have preferred it if the designers had tied the quests closer to the main plot, thrown in a plot twist or two (which is what I loved about Morrigan in DA:O) and revealed a bit more about what's going on along the way. Understanding more of the situation earlier would certainly have heightened the suspense.

The technicalities of story telling (writing, voice acting) are handled excellently and among the best. In contrast to the story, character development is the games week spot. Nevertheless, this should be the central element of any RPG; this is what defines the genre. An RPG should allow for various character builds. New abilities should combine with others in meaningful and surprising ways so their sum is greater then their parts. New abilities should affect game play, determine how the character is most efficiently played, and make the character unique.

Given this definition of an RPG, the game barely deserves to be called one. At level 35 your character might have three or four abilities more then he did when he started out, otherwise character progression simply adds more "umpf" to existing abilities.

Furthermore, I never found myself having to make tradeoffs. At level 35 I had skilled-up all the abilities I found important. I enjoyed two play-throughs (Hard & Insane), made the exact same build both times and have no desire to try a different character build.

I actually enjoy pausing a battle and having to think my way out of a sticky situation, by creatively using my abilities, timing and the terrain to my advantage. Unfortunately, I'm afraid this puts me in the minority.

In chapter 3 my pet dog is literally smart enough to win most battles (at this stage button mashing will rid you of most mobs). Prior to that tactics can be summed up as follows:
    >if possible, avoid engaging multiple enemies at once (pull one at a time).
    > never get caught with your back to a wall (you need room to dodge attacks).
    > at all times you should be either dodging, blocking or attacking.
    > attack from behind or wait for an opening (after the enemy attacked).
    > if the enemy wears armor and/or is big: attack with right mouse button.
    > if enemy is small and/or fast: attack with left mouse button.
    > if all else fails set lots of traps before engaging.
    From this list it is obvious that combat is more about action then tactics. Some people will enjoy this, but I do not.

Summary:

The game is rated mature for two reasons: language and nudity/sex. The sex scenes are short and void of any emotion whatsoever. Making them more relevant for the characters or the story would be a big improvement. I have no issues with course language, but I would have appreciated less modern lingo. People discussing f**king and/or genetics in a medieval setting just doesn't seem appropriate.

The Witcher 2 is by far the best looking game, ever. Excluding the last chapter (which seems rushed) all locations are incredibly detailed and realistic. Twice I just stopped to watch the sun rise. However, even with really modern hardware you won't be able to max out everything.

The UI still needs a lot of polish, specifically inventory management (sorting, filtering, determining what books you've already read etc) and alchemy (making & drinking potions takes too long). I'm guessing future patches will fix a lot of this, but right now it can really be a pain.

The game is well programed and tested. Bugs tend to be quest related, but it is certainly playable now. I didn't experience a single crash in my two play-throughs.

In this review I concentrated on what I didn't like. However, it turns out this just isn't the right game for me. If you enjoy light, action oriented RPG's then this is a MUST HAVE and likely one of the best titles of the year. If you are looking for a true RPG then this will disappoint you just as DA2 (Dragon Age II) did.
  98. Aug 29, 2011
    I loved the original Witcher game so much I looked forward to this sequel for years. I have tried many times to complete the game just to see where the story goes, but I just can't get into it. What a beautiful game! No complaints about the story. They changed so much and provided so little help I feel frustrated and lost almost all the time. I have seen a lot of games become harderI loved the original Witcher game so much I looked forward to this sequel for years. I have tried many times to complete the game just to see where the story goes, but I just can't get into it. What a beautiful game! No complaints about the story. They changed so much and provided so little help I feel frustrated and lost almost all the time. I have seen a lot of games become harder to beat lately. I think this is to make them appeal to FPS players. My feeling is they went too far on this one. Why didn't their beta testers warn them? Expand
  99. Dec 4, 2011
    Witcher was awesome. Most of what made it good was sucked out of W2 though. Most of the battles were easy but the combat system has to be one of the worst I've ever used - especially towards the end. The whole "can't heal during combat" might be more realistic but it means you will be reloading more often if you walk into an ambush. But I'm not sure why realism matters because it is aWitcher was awesome. Most of what made it good was sucked out of W2 though. Most of the battles were easy but the combat system has to be one of the worst I've ever used - especially towards the end. The whole "can't heal during combat" might be more realistic but it means you will be reloading more often if you walk into an ambush. But I'm not sure why realism matters because it is a fantasy world anyway. The weapons and upgrades throughout the game were mostly hoo-hum. The new skill system was pretty good but none of the skills were really that useful during combat. What really kills this game is the bugs. Even after all the patches there are showstoppers - but no crashes. The dice game is buggy frequently, the scenery gets in the way during combat and some of the quests don't complete properly. Even worse is the new minigames. The dice game is buggy such that you can't always even move the dice. Additionally some of the players seem to get 4 or 5 of a kinds or full houses with statistically magical accuracy. The arm wrestling game is just stupid. It doesn't feel in any way like I'm really arm wrestling. It's just frustrating. The fist fighting minigame is pretty good though.

The game is mature but other than 2 scenes and a lot of bad language I don't see why. The first game made Geralt out to be a womanizer and prostitution as just part of any town. W2 relegates it to romance with brothels thrown in for no reason. The language seems overly mature just to justify the rating I think. Take out the language and it isn't worthy of M.

Overall I'm disappointed in W2. The first one was better. I hope they go back to the original formula for the next version. One thing I do like about them, and one reason why I support them, is there DRM stance and their post-release support. As a company they are top notch. I just hope they fix Witcher for the next go around.
  100. May 26, 2011
    It could have been a contender, instead the Witcher2 is just another console victim. Gone is the quality PC RPG with a deep story, an engaging charters. In it's place is a confusing mess that for some is not even playable. To be fair, this is a beautiful game if you have a PC that can handle it. The environments are beautiful and the amount of invisible walls is far less than otherIt could have been a contender, instead the Witcher2 is just another console victim. Gone is the quality PC RPG with a deep story, an engaging charters. In it's place is a confusing mess that for some is not even playable. To be fair, this is a beautiful game if you have a PC that can handle it. The environments are beautiful and the amount of invisible walls is far less than other similar game. The cities seem to have some life to them unlike the empty world in Dragon Age where the people don't speak and the doors don't open.

The story is passable, but at times it confuses even it's self. NPC's deliver bits of the story, and then stay in the same location forever. The Prologue really bothered me. Here is our Witcher being interrogated by Roche like they are complete strangers including the initial greeting, but as the Witcher tell his story, you can clearly see that they know each other. A bad start that left me questions where it was going to go from here.

The interface is pure console. While nothing is wrong with that, I enjoy many console game and find that a well done menu system works well with a controller. However, this is so poorly implemented for use with a mouse and keyboard. Icons have no clear meaning, the inventory has no sorting or filtering and for some reason, Geralt has become so dumb that he cannot memorize anything, he has to carry everything with him.

Gameplay is a true mix of good and bad. At times combat seems to work, when you are battling a few enemies it can be enjoyable. But as soon as you add a few more enemies to the mix, it becomes a button clicking mess. Dare to turn your perspective during these battles and you immediately change enemies. Gone is the combat strategy from W1 where timing and clicking at the right time lead to a flurry of moves. In place we have a whirling slashing mess that we have no control over. An please, developers, stop with the QTE's, we do not enjoy them. I don't want limited control, I want full control.

Alchemy has become a frustrating disaster. Apparently Geralt has to know the future. Because the only way to consume potions is to meditate BEFORE you start a battle and no,,there is no healing at all. So save lots. Lastly, is the state of the game. For me it was a constant crash fest. I look forward to going again now the patches have started, but after 3 years of development it should have been better. And forget support, CDProjekt should be ashamed of themselves. Days before the launch, the official forums were taken down, and over a week into the launch, gamers are expressing their frustrations on GOG and Steam, but not in any place that the support behind the game can help. Fans helping fans is what we are are left with.

What I was hoping for, was the Witcher world taken to a new level. What I got was the Witcher world shaken up, half baked, converted from a stat based RPG, to an Action based RPG for the console crowd. Looks like my hopes will need to be directed to Skyrim.

1. Pelit (Finland)