8.5

1. Dec 22, 2011
    Great game with a fan-base passionate & dedicated enough to stamp every negative review with dislike. The game is excellent, but negative reviews are being unfairly reported.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    Well, this game is awesome! If I were to choose between Skyrim and it for RPG of the year, I would have no doubt in saying that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings was my choice! The game really shows that "small" game industries such as CD Project can have their moments. The Witcher 2 has awesome graphics, and an incredible story with 16 different endings! While choosing between killing aWell, this game is awesome! If I were to choose between Skyrim and it for RPG of the year, I would have no doubt in saying that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings was my choice! The game really shows that "small" game industries such as CD Project can have their moments. The Witcher 2 has awesome graphics, and an incredible story with 16 different endings! While choosing between killing a king or a monster or letting them live, you really feel as you were Geralt of Rivia. Of course, as all the other games, The Witcher 2 is not perfect. Its fighting system is pretty complicated and annoying, so most of the gamers would only start liking it by the middle of the game. The bad regulated difficulties (easy, medium, hard, and insane) may give you a hard time, making you hate some bosses or even simple road-bandits, but once you have chosen one of them you can enjoy this incredible game without huge problems. I really hope that The Witcher 3 is realised soon, because, man, what an amazing game! Expand
  3. Feb 7, 2012
    Best RPG I have played in a long while. Challenging, deep and well-executed. For those who seek games that do not have the usual "you are the chose one" storyline, this is the game to pick up. The story is interesting and compelling. As a newcomer to the series, it was relatively easy to comprehend what was happening due to certain plot mechanics that reveal relevant information as you goBest RPG I have played in a long while. Challenging, deep and well-executed. For those who seek games that do not have the usual "you are the chose one" storyline, this is the game to pick up. The story is interesting and compelling. As a newcomer to the series, it was relatively easy to comprehend what was happening due to certain plot mechanics that reveal relevant information as you go along. Being a non-linear RPG, there are a lot of choices: minor ones that might affect immediate events or major ones that span several chapters. The combat is unique and challenging in a sense that it deviates from the potion-chugging norm of most RPGs. Preparations have to made before fights and damage modification oils can be used inside battles. On top of that, the health potions that Geralt can use before battles only speed up regeneration not heal by chunks. This brings a whole new level of depth and complexity to combat, albeit the two-button light/heavy attack mechanic. As for character development, there is only enough experience in the game to specialize in one out of the three skill trees, or hybrid in two. Stats are more equipment based, especially early in the game. This gives the game that almost unforgiving difficulty in the first few encounters, once vitality and armor upgrades are more accessible the game tames down a bit.

The graphics and sound are great. There are almost no loading screens due to "buffer" sections in the map that automatically load the next area while players explore. The overall presentation is top notch, with a musical score that really brings out the scenario Geralt is in. The ambient noises also flesh out the fantasy world, this is especially true outside city walls. Visuals are smooth and fluid if your gaming rig can handle it, playing at maximum graphical settings proves to be a most immersive experience.

I highly recommend this game to everyone, The Witcher 2 exemplifies the balance of combat, exploration and storytelling delivered in an artistic and emotional package.
  4. Mar 7, 2012
    An absolutely fantastic game, one of the best RPG's I've played; period. The story is crisp and easy to follow while still grabbing the player and will leave them wondering what will unfold in the story. It is also one of the few RPG's I've seen where player choice really impacts the game, with whole new area's to be seen (Or unseen) depending on player choices. That being said the gameAn absolutely fantastic game, one of the best RPG's I've played; period. The story is crisp and easy to follow while still grabbing the player and will leave them wondering what will unfold in the story. It is also one of the few RPG's I've seen where player choice really impacts the game, with whole new area's to be seen (Or unseen) depending on player choices. That being said the game does have some flaws, I felt like it was frustratingly difficult to block, because of the limit on it, as well as some minor bits where the difficulty fluctuates wildly between fights. The romance options in the story are tasteful and never forced, and the characters are all wonderfully voice acted, especially Roche. Add in the fact that CD Projekt RED is releasing 4 more hours of game play to a part of the game the players liked the most is what bumps this game up beyond the norm. It's really worth getting, especially with how often it goes on sale for under 15 dollars. Expand
  5. Aug 19, 2014
    This is a MUST if you enjoy games with a solid story and incredible combat mechanics. Very few bugs compared to your usual RPG. Sound and graphics are top notch. Only game better than this is Fallout 3, which are unrealistic standards...
  6. Mar 23, 2014
    The Witcher 2 is a very strong RPG with so-so aspects.

The Witcher 2 is a very strong RPG with so-so aspects.

The combat ranges from decent to mediocre with nice looking animations and a strong variety of enemies. However the animations can be too extravagant making the "quick attack" not as quick thanks to the stylish sword spinning, so instead of planting attacks immediately on an enemy, you're waiting for the animation to finish. The lack of strafe and back peddling hurt the combat too, making movement feel sloppy.

Enemy AI is bad, their attacks barely differ from run at you and swing, and if you stray just a little too far from your opponents they will give up. I tested this on all difficulties and found no difference.

The difficulty is another issue, I have no issue with brutal difficulty but the load times which occur at game over make it unbearable to die. For this reason I found myself on easy half the time to avoid these load screens altogether. It doesn't help that there's no achievements for higher difficulties either, so if you merely want that challenging aspect of weak vitality then go for it, but I recommend steering clear.

The story is pretty good, the characters are interesting and the general arch is intriguing. More often than not you will find yourself confused at what is happening in the mish-mash of politics, luckily the journal is fantastic. The journal simplifies every aspect of the story to a couple of paragraphs, making it easier to get the lore down-pat. What's also great is how the story will drastically change depending on what decisions you make, upping the replay-ability.

The graphics are the strongest aspect of the game. Frame-rate rarely drops on the 360 version and the environments are entirely hand crafted with detailed textures. That may sound like a very general description, but in action the game is absolutely beautiful. The soundtrack isn't very memorable and the loop is short for most tracks, so you may find yourself getting tired of the repetition.

Despite the issues, I had a great time with the game. If you're a fan of fantasy then you must look into The Witcher 2.
  7. Aug 25, 2015
    The original Witcher was a fantastic game. It took all the fairies and unicorns out of fantasy rpg’s and brought us a gritty world filled with sex, war, hypocrisy, and racism. The game is based on the novels of a Polish author. So the Witcher doesn’t lack for story. In fact, it excels at storytelling and immersion. But it is incredibly broken. Janky mechanics and numerous bugs held it backThe original Witcher was a fantastic game. It took all the fairies and unicorns out of fantasy rpg’s and brought us a gritty world filled with sex, war, hypocrisy, and racism. The game is based on the novels of a Polish author. So the Witcher doesn’t lack for story. In fact, it excels at storytelling and immersion. But it is incredibly broken. Janky mechanics and numerous bugs held it back from mainstream success. When the Witcher 2 was announced, fans eagerly expected developers to address these bugs while bringing a gigantic, epic world filled with intrigue and monster slaying. By its tepid reception, we know fans felt the developers fell short on those expectations. The W2 is not bad. However, is suffers from an identity crisis.

Most gamers agree that the W2 is a remarkably gorgeous game. It uses the DX9 api, which also powered the original Crysis. And it’s extremely demanding on higher settings. But the game is best enjoyed maxed out so players can fully enjoy the lush environs and meticulously detailed mountains on the horizon. But it isn’t well optimized. Fps drops are normal and it stutters every few minutes (or seconds) as new textures are loaded in. W2 has odd visual quirks too. Shadows and facial features are pixelated. It’s downright distracting at times. A graphic’s option called ubersampling will eliminate that, but it’s too demanding. Players are better leaving ubersampling off and maxing out everything else.

Although graphics are a huge improvement over the original, the story is a step back. The campaign is better than haters claim. The problems lie in the side quests. There are only a handful, and they are easy to complete. There are few monsters to slay. Few caves to explore. And no water nymphs to romance. The story’s focus on politics is well-done, but it’s too heavy-handed. CD Projekt created a gorgeous world with nothing to do except slog thru a campaign. Sure, there are choices to be made. But only a few have noticeable impact. Players can import their saves from the first Witcher. However, the bonuses from this are slight.

Combat sucks namely since the targeting system that is broken. Enemies will be directly in front of Geralt, but no target appears. The tutorial says to adjust the camera to target new enemies. That doesn’t work. So players will have to swing their swords or cast spells blindly. Although spells have the same names and characteristics as those in the original Witcher, developers dumped their AOE’s. This would make sense, if the targeting system worked. As a result, Geralt casts puny looking spells that don’t hit their intended targets.

But combat sucks for other reasons too. W2 also wedges in QTE’s. Why this annoying convention keeps poking its ugly head into games is beyond me. Do developers even listen? Boxing and some boss fights rely on QTE’s to succeed. Even certain dialogue options require on split second timing. W2 also forces gamers to play as other characters who are completely stripped of all Geralt’s abilities they’ve worked so hard to obtain. These conventions are ever more common, and players absolutely hate them. I bought the Witcher to play as the Witcher! I don’t want to play as a weak ass spy, a dead soldier, or fat king.

Other problems with combat result from the restrictive leveling and limited move sets. Instead of the appreciated complexity of the original, W2 “simplifies” upgrade paths. Again, another convention of mass market games. As a result, combat in W2 is downgraded into a button mashing fest. It’s not as fun, and wholly repetitive. One problem carried over from the original is close quarters fights—a bunch of enemies crammed into a tiny room. W2’s broken combat mechanics means these battles are frustrating—just like for first game. And if there is a fight immediately after a video scene, Geralt will have already taken damage before players get to control him. On harder difficulties he endures massive damage before the fights even start.

Other issues with W2 include illegible maps (and mini maps) making objectives hard to find. Inventory management is a bit confusing. Lots of loot is inaccessible. There are few rewards for exploration and limited dialogue outside the main quest.

Lastly, the Witcher’s soundtrack was highly regarded. Unfortunately, the Witcher 2 failed to live up to that legacy as well. Instead, players are given a generic, forgettable score.

Despite 11gb of updates, W2 lacks polish. Combat and exploration, which should be 2 of its biggest focuses, are actually the biggest drawbacks. The developers took steps backwards in areas where they shouldn’t, such as story. And they failed to effectively push forward in areas that needed the most work, like combat. So the best elements of the Witcher devolved while the broken parts remained broken. If W2 didn’t look so damn good, I’m certain its scores would’ve been much lower. For Witcher fans, this game is worth playing. But other rpg fans look elsewhere.
  8. Sep 15, 2014
    The game looks marvelous, the execution of visuals, storytelling and everything connected is just perfect. You can actually care about characters and their stories, and the main plot isn't just shoveled down with an uninspired ending like in the previous title. The story connections to the prequel surely will make me to replay this title few times.

Why 5 then? Because the gameplay

Why 5 then? Because the gameplay absolutely sucks in every possible way. The combat system is a clusterf***, the lack of control and annoyances surrounding it (picking up items in the middle of the fight, come on) and the character development is just subpar and far below what the first game offered. The UI is tiring and navigating takes definitely too much time and clicking, drinking potions is just a chore to do, magic signs are unprecise and not really useful. They could ditch out the combat entirely, making a point'n'click adventure game and the game would only benefit from it.
  9. Nov 1, 2013
    As an RPG, this has the absolute highest tier storytelling you could hope for. Graphically it is also superb, outshining many, if not most games that have been released years after. The world is believable and engrossing, with fantastic character design, adept voice acting and beautiful landscapes. Combat is visceral, but it can feel slightly awkward and it is possible to becomeAs an RPG, this has the absolute highest tier storytelling you could hope for. Graphically it is also superb, outshining many, if not most games that have been released years after. The world is believable and engrossing, with fantastic character design, adept voice acting and beautiful landscapes. Combat is visceral, but it can feel slightly awkward and it is possible to become stun-locked. Perhaps this is merely a mistake on my part. The game is hard to criticize considering the passion that has evidently gone into its creation. Expand
  10. Mar 11, 2014
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings has the best plot which I have ever experience in game. It is based on Polish books series by Andrzej Sapkowski, named The Witcher. In this game we can admire phenomenal graphics, in my opinion it is better than any other RPG. The amazing soundtrack fits the game setting. Gameplay is perfectly pleasant. The game has highly expended upgrade system. TheThe Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings has the best plot which I have ever experience in game. It is based on Polish books series by Andrzej Sapkowski, named The Witcher. In this game we can admire phenomenal graphics, in my opinion it is better than any other RPG. The amazing soundtrack fits the game setting. Gameplay is perfectly pleasant. The game has highly expended upgrade system. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is incredibly excellent. I definitely recommend this unbelievable game. Expand
  11. Aug 17, 2015
    The combat is a lot better than the first Witcher, but still can feel rather clunky and awkward.

The Tiny Inventory that was annoyingly small in The first game is improved in the 2nd by being more spacious and has a weight system instead, I can explore and loot for quite a while before I have to go sell or store. Despite being more spacious the inventory still feels flawed, it's a higgledy piggledy ugly mess of a list. The perfect inventory system would be a much larger grid system, sort of like what the first Witcher had but 4 times as spacious.

While the inventory has improved, alchemy has gone backwards. Only being able to drink potions during meditation is annoying. You can't drink potions during battle, so you have to guess what you may need before a fight which can be wasteful or go in blind see what happens and figure what you need and reload a previous save. Rather time consuming. The first witcher's alchemy system was better it let you drink potions in battle and I prefer being able to drink potions in battle. A really stupid decision to change it.

Moving around the world feels restrictive, with only certain spots you can climb or descend with no ability to jump over obstacles, movement is rather linear and so is exploration.

Map is flawed, especially bad for me since I have a bad sense of direction. The map seems to expect you to memorise where everything is, nothing is labelled, I had to find Phillipa's house and it did not mark or label it on the map, so I spent ages entering each house trying to find hers which is rather frustrating and time wasting

The game has way too many long cutscenes making it feel more like a interactive movie than a game. I want to play a game, not watch a movie.

Boss battles feel like a movie script as well, you have to pay attention to when to rapidly click your mouse at certain points.You fight a boss only to have the battle interrupted by cut scenes such Geralt moving around on a tentacle or to be distracted by a falling bridge cutscene after each time you chop off a tentacle.

I find it annoying, I want to fight a boss and not continually have the battle be interupted by a cutscene. I really dislike the Quick Time Events, it ruins any immersion for me.

The world of Witcher 2 is dark in an over done way, it's not even all that terribly original - it's your generic "Dark and Gritty Fantasy" setting, set in wretched, crappy world where all the people are ignorant, filthy and full of extreme hatred.

Sure the 2nd Witcher has better graphics and inventory but overall I just feel the first Witcher was much better, in every way, quests, mini games were done better, alchemy and so was the story. Witcher 2 the story is too political and I find a heavy emphasis on political stuff rather boring.

Though I reccomend playing both paths as it gives you slightly different access to each area, different quests, information, characters and choices.

I played Iorveth's path first and then Roche's and I enjoyed playing through Roche's path much more, I found it more interesting.

But overall I'd class this as a shallow action game that wants to be a movie as well, that pretends to be deep, but fails and falls short. This is a overhyped game that does not deserve the praise it gets.

I guess I've been spoiled by the massive epic exploration Skyrim offers and The Witcher 2 isn't even half that, just 3 towns to explore. *yawn

At least I know now that Witcher isn't very good for what I want in an RPG. Sure some may love it, but it's not my cup of tea. And from watching gameplay of Witcher 3 I can see it's more of the same or worse. With lengthy cutscenes and Geralt's character model now looks very ugly.

I prefer RPG's like The Elder Scrolls and Fallout, which has a lot of depth, choice, exploration and you can be whoever you can imagine.

This game is more for those who like a light action oriented RPG with a limited set character, than those who like a deep, open RPG with more freedom, seemingly endless choices and character builds that can vary a lot.
  12. Jun 17, 2015
    Improving over The Witcher 1, on the whole combat system and with more engaging side quest, The Witcher 2 is not perfect (if possible I would have rate it 9.5) with some minor defaults like the fact that you don't remember formulas, but I love it way to much to lower the mark to 9. Fantastic graphics at the times and above everything else the best story of modern videogames with detailedImproving over The Witcher 1, on the whole combat system and with more engaging side quest, The Witcher 2 is not perfect (if possible I would have rate it 9.5) with some minor defaults like the fact that you don't remember formulas, but I love it way to much to lower the mark to 9. Fantastic graphics at the times and above everything else the best story of modern videogames with detailed and realistic characters, and choices that have enormous consequences, in fact the 40-50 hours that the game needs to be complete could be almost doubled giving that a choice in the end of Act 1 will change the rest of the game in almost every aspect (only a few quests will be the same) .

I've already said this on my review of the first Witcher, but those games are to videogames what Game of Thrones is to series : high production value, faithful to the original works, addicting story and characters, etc. It's a must have !
  13. Oct 27, 2013
    Simply stunning on all levels. I bought this game on release date but my hardware at the time made playing it painful. I decided to wait until I could afford a PC that justified this classic game. fast forward to 2013 and I reinstalled on my new rig. Wow jaw dropping work of art godlike THIS game is something very special and deserves to be played at max settings. Nothing compares to it.Simply stunning on all levels. I bought this game on release date but my hardware at the time made playing it painful. I decided to wait until I could afford a PC that justified this classic game. fast forward to 2013 and I reinstalled on my new rig. Wow jaw dropping work of art godlike THIS game is something very special and deserves to be played at max settings. Nothing compares to it. Everything about this game is perfect (especially since it's been patched and modded). The only thing I found initially tough was A) the sheer amount of stuff Geralt can do B) the combat takes a while to master. The Witcher 2 is breathtaking and an example of why I play games. Enjoy. Expand
  14. Jun 7, 2011
    This game is amazing! It is what I had hoped Dragon Age 2 would be (i.e. a classic PC RPG with all of today's bells and whistles). If you haven't read the books or played the enhanced edition of the first game in the series, GO DO THAT NOW!! They are incredible! The only downside is that some moron decided Americans didn't read (I know right?? *chuckle chuckle*) and they SKIPPED THE 2NDThis game is amazing! It is what I had hoped Dragon Age 2 would be (i.e. a classic PC RPG with all of today's bells and whistles). If you haven't read the books or played the enhanced edition of the first game in the series, GO DO THAT NOW!! They are incredible! The only downside is that some moron decided Americans didn't read (I know right?? *chuckle chuckle*) and they SKIPPED THE 2ND BOOK!!!! That makes me SO angry!!! But anyways, just read the summaries on the wiki before you read the 2nd novel I guess. But whatever you do, support these people. They are amazing. Expand
  15. Jun 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent game, one of the best i've already played, explendid graphics, easy gameplay, and also the characterization of each character, good repertoire of questions and answers, considerable difficulties with enemies and the bosses, too. engaging story and well-distributed. Im my opinion The Witcher 2 will be on the top 3 rpg's of the year Expand
  16. Jun 19, 2015
    One of the best looking games I have ever played. Crysis tier graphics combined with gameplay that is far more engaging than the first witcher game make this one of the best games I've played in recent years.

The story takes a moment to get going but once it does it never slows down. True to the first game in the series you can still bang hookers, get drunk and gamble your money away. But unlike the first game, the combat is far more complex.

In combat it is similar to dark souls in the sense that you have a light attack, strong attack, and can roll to dodge attacks. There are more difficulty levels and there is actual coordination involved instead of just knowing potions/stances to use at a certain time. On top of the swordplay there are bombs and traps you can craft and purchase, traps being sort of a niche item that I ended up not using much. All in all the combat is a lot of fun and far less tedious than the first game. The only thing about this game I didn't care for was you are unable to drink potions in the midst of combat.

A lot of old friends show up in the second game, there is a definite sense of continuity, largely because the end of the first game carries right over into the major conflict of the second. Once again Geralt carefully trying to stay on the edge of politics, yet someone is always dragging him into it.

This game takes almost everything that the Witcher had and makes it better. While some people may be turned off by the lack of a character creator, the story this game has to tell of Geralt the Witcher is far more interesting than the nameless self-insert the RPG industry is usually prone to these days.

Near perfect with lots of different ways to play and level, plus a combat arena mini game if you want to just fight waves of monsters over and over.
  17. Sep 19, 2012
    I already bought and completed the game, but I still feel the need to throw money at my screen. This game is a monumental achievement in the modern age of RPGs; even if the map navigation is kind of frustrating, if not useless. The first game was great, but this one is just incredible.
  18. Aug 17, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is an breathtaking game that offers an interesting story, well written characters and a visually beautiful world. The combat is also quite satisfying though the difficulty curve is a bit off. The game has quite a lot of content and depending on your choices you will have a completely different experience which will likely please any rpg-fan. You are however (obviously) forcedThe Witcher 2 is an breathtaking game that offers an interesting story, well written characters and a visually beautiful world. The combat is also quite satisfying though the difficulty curve is a bit off. The game has quite a lot of content and depending on your choices you will have a completely different experience which will likely please any rpg-fan. You are however (obviously) forced to play as witcher Geralt and even though Geralt is an interesting character are you kind of locked into his thinking and cant really go outside the box regarding your choices. The witchers surrounding does however make up for it by good voice acting, interesting characters and so forth. It should be noted that the game is a bit rough around edges from time to time but it really is a quite a remarkable rpg and if you are willing to spend some time on the game and have an interest in rpgs you should definitely give it a shot. Expand
  19. Aug 8, 2012
    I definitely loved playing this game, the story was very powerful, it had good animation, and you could pick many different outcomes through speech, that and the open world gameplay was great, definitely worth the purchase, my only complaint is that it ended right as I was hoping for more.
  20. Aug 9, 2012
    Una Joya de estilo Accion RPG que tiene que estar en su estanteria de Steam o de juegos si o si!! Te sumergiras en la atrapante historia de Geralt de Rivia, te enamoraras de el encanto de Triss Merigold y deleitaras una ambientación conmvinada con unos graficos de infarto.
  21. Nov 25, 2014
    I loved TW1. So I got this game as soon as it came out. I beat it and enjoyed every minute of the process. Its beautiful. As soon as I learned The Witcher 3 is in the works I picked it up and beat it again. This time I made all the opposite choices. Thats right! Silly me. My first game ended with me saving Triss over the king's kids with the help of Roach. I never explored all the otherI loved TW1. So I got this game as soon as it came out. I beat it and enjoyed every minute of the process. Its beautiful. As soon as I learned The Witcher 3 is in the works I picked it up and beat it again. This time I made all the opposite choices. Thats right! Silly me. My first game ended with me saving Triss over the king's kids with the help of Roach. I never explored all the other choices. My second play-through I was a freedom fighter with Iorveth who helped the non-humans carve out a kingdom. Its amazing how I could start in the same place. Make completely reasonable choices and end with such a different experience. The whole second act of the game was completely different.
    This game is mature. The characters are complex. The plot is mature. Unlike so many games where there is the clearly good option and the clearly evil option, in this game you try to do good but the choices are hard. Do you let innocent people burn to death, or do you let a bad guy get away without punishment? Choices like that.
    I do have 2 criticisms. Combat is a little hit or miss. Like the real world when the bad guys gang up on you, you are going to take a beating. Also the game is too short. Both these things were partially resolved by the FREE RELEASE of the Enhanced Edition.
    I can't wait for The Witcher 3 to come out.
  22. Mar 16, 2014
    One of the greatest games ever made, every thing about this game is excellent. The attention to detail that CD Projekt had during this project is obvious. It is one of the best looking games around, and the gameplay is surprisingly great (considering that sword-based combat games usually lack in that department), the story is fantastic and wonderfully voice acted. This is one of the bestOne of the greatest games ever made, every thing about this game is excellent. The attention to detail that CD Projekt had during this project is obvious. It is one of the best looking games around, and the gameplay is surprisingly great (considering that sword-based combat games usually lack in that department), the story is fantastic and wonderfully voice acted. This is one of the best games ever made. 10/10! Expand
  23. Jul 5, 2014
    This game was incredibly captivating that I had to close it and immediately obtain Witcher 1 and study the witcher lore before I dared approach it.

Then, when I did, I enjoyed every minute of it. Gameplay and dialogues, the darkness of the world, the books and the mysteries involved. This game sets precedent for the future of this genre.
  24. Jul 19, 2013
    Very pulpy fantasy-action game that won me over immediately. I believe it is, by quite a long way, the most beautiful game ever crafted for PC. Crysis 3 is more impressive on a technical level, but this game has so much heart and soul in the art design. It looks like every texture, model, crevasse, nook, and cranny of this game was painted and sculpted by hand! It is truly a sight toVery pulpy fantasy-action game that won me over immediately. I believe it is, by quite a long way, the most beautiful game ever crafted for PC. Crysis 3 is more impressive on a technical level, but this game has so much heart and soul in the art design. It looks like every texture, model, crevasse, nook, and cranny of this game was painted and sculpted by hand! It is truly a sight to behold.

The story will keep you locked in for days on and and there is a huge amount of replay-ability considering the amount of choices the game allows you to make. Also, CD Projekt Red treats its players and the PC gaming community with respect and honesty. That's a tough combination to find these days.
  25. Jun 13, 2014
    an awesome story driven RPG with great character development which makes us wanna love the characters. every action we take has a consequence. the gameplay is effective with and an enhanced difficulty which makes us want to prepare beforehand .the crafting system is also equally good and the visuals is mesmerizing .
  26. Apr 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. played this game 4 times to challenge most of difficulties and to see all possible endings...can't wait to play the third chapter.
    the plot is intriguing since the very beginning of the game, all characters are well studied and created whit different own personalityes. the combat stile can be hard to understand at first but when learned give a lot of satisfaction, combining magic potions and swordskill. i appreciated the quest when i got drunk and i had to find all my armor again xD and loved all other quests where i could choose how to end them.
  27. Jan 11, 2014
    a must play. do yourself the favor now. if u like rpgs like elder scrolls or dragon age. or just love medieval fantasy, its a no brainer.

simply put, expect the quality to be of a bioware product b4 ea took over them.
  28. Jan 24, 2014
    This is definitely the best RPG that currently exists. The story, the combat, the enviroment, the graphics and the characters are all perfect. I can't wait for The Witcher 3.
  29. Jul 2, 2013
    this game really deserves a 9.5 but it rounds up to a 10.
    cons: third act is short shops are overpriced
    this game really deserves a 9.5 but it rounds up to a 10.
    cons: third act is short shops are overpriced
    pros: only 2 cons, great graphics, amazing story and characters, geralt is likeable, great combat, good difficulty so you actually have to think in combat, flotsam is the best town in a video game ive seen, the inn in flotsam has lots to do, colorful world, choices have a huge effect, mod kit, side quests are great enough to be part of the main game and have branching choices, will be able to import save to witcher 3, geralt is so awsome he can smoke without opening his mouth, satisfying ending, enhanced edition is free if you own the non enhanced edition.
  30. Jun 19, 2013
    I am very critical of games, and this being said, this is game is one of the few games i will ever give a 10. This game excels in every aspect. Great story, great graphics and amazing graphics. I would value this game at $60, but you only have to pay $20(!)
  31. Jun 28, 2013
    i have played the first witcher game and i loved it, but this game is beyond any RPG ive ever played. i even bought all the witcher books after playing this game, it was just brilliant. for me this game is an solid 10/10
  32. Feb 17, 2014
    Great game cutscenes are enjoyable and an overall pleasant story make this game a must have! Combat is also likeable and the graphics are quite good and visually appealing.
  33. Nov 9, 2013
    Best RPG I have played in a while. Incredibly engaging, beautifully crafted and really well planned out, this game is staying on my PC's hard drive for over a year and most games I have haven't even made it that long. I never got bored of Geralt of Rivia and his adventures.

The story of this game is really mature and incredibly engaging. Throughout the game I have made the choices that I would make in real life if I would be put up under same situations and that got me really engaged in the story. Plot twists really make sense and keep you engaged. I have completed almost all quests including side quests and I am still playing the game. :)

Graphics-wise Witcher 2 beats most RPG Games. I still can't believe it is a game from 2011, the graphics like that are only getting improved because of next gen consoles. Beautiful areas such as Ruins in Flotsam are really good to look at, just stand and enjoy the view.

Fighting is some of the best fighting I have seen. Geralt is a true sword master, but if you're not careful you will get him killed easily. You have to plan out and think about the fights. Different characters such as normal soldiers are easy to kill, but then you get more armored knights or even bosses which will kick your butt if you just jump in and fight.

The only problem was the lack of tutorial. I had to find out the controls of the game until half-way of the story for me to actually remember them. Some things I still cannot use after over a year of playing this game. The accents for English aren't the best either. Polish language is so much better in the sense of acting, because of the character and realism.

Overall 10 out of 10, really recommended for any RPG fans. Amazing story, graphics, fighting mechanism and really well executed overall.
  34. Nov 12, 2014
    The Witcher 1 was a perfect RPG experience in my eyes and in retrospect I would rank it among the very best in the genre. The Witcher 2 changes quite a lot of things, some of them for better, others for worse, but despite some problems, it's still a fantastic RPG ride and a worthy successor.

The story is still top notch, maybe little too much politics for my taste, it can be hard to follow all the kingdoms, their situation, kings, intentions etc., but it makes it feel more grandiose in scope. The game itself however is quite a bit shorter than the first one, only 3 chapters and the last chapter went by really fast, but if you do everything, it's still about 30 hours, which is good enough.

The visuals are beautiful, I loved all 3 locations and their environments, some of the locations were just breathtaking, but the overall art direction seems to be pushed into more punch in the face aesthetic, so the colors are often way too over saturated to my taste. I preferred more subtle style of the first Witcher.

The biggest change is the controls and combat. I love the fact you can grip the controller and feel your character, move around, the combat is also much more fluid and it feels tight, that's a good change, but what is not so good is the UI, the inventory management, all the additional menus, it suffered from the overall console controllers interface, it needs some serious getting used to and I really hope this will be improved in TW3.

Another disappointment is the alchemy, one of my favourite things to do in TW1. gathering herbs, mixing potions and effectively use them in battle. Here, you cannot drink once the combat starts, but before that in preparation. You would need to be a seer visionary to know when you are going to need it, this basically ruined the effective use and I just ignored the alchemy completely, focusing solely on the sword techniques.

The biggest problem of TW2 imo is it's linearity and non-open world corridor style world design. Especially now when you can control Geralt with such fluidity it's really immersion breaking to encounter all those invisible walls and barriers, it feels very restricting, you can't even jump over the obstacles, it just lacks the freedom of many other more open world RPGs, but that's exactly the issue that the new Witcher 3 should address.

There are some other minor bugs, I had few crashes during my playthrough, there are many audio balance issues, voice overs too loud or too quiet every once in a while, and they somehow managed to ruin the dice poker mini-game which is not nearly as good as in the first game, but nothing that can destroy your RPG experience.

And what an experience it is, captivating story, interesting characters, well-written quests, in the first half of the game pretty challenging battles that force you to use all your resources to win and important decisions that have a strong impact on the actual world around you and the last but not least - fantastic soundtrack again. All the things I loved about the first Witcher and reasons why I love The Witcher series so much. I'm looking forward to the new open world TW3 that's looking amazing so far and hopefully is going to improve all the shortcomings of TW2 to create the ultimate masterpiece and finish this amazing trilogy. 9/10
  35. Dec 20, 2013
    This game can be difficult to start out on, however it's in depth gameplay, character development and rich storytelling make it my favorite RPG. It is a traditional RPG that takes the traditional style and does it very well. Let me repeat the story is amazing, and will have you waiting for the 3rd installment destined for the new gen consoles. If you stick to this game, filled with greatThis game can be difficult to start out on, however it's in depth gameplay, character development and rich storytelling make it my favorite RPG. It is a traditional RPG that takes the traditional style and does it very well. Let me repeat the story is amazing, and will have you waiting for the 3rd installment destined for the new gen consoles. If you stick to this game, filled with great combat, great writing and a unique and mysterious protagonist you will come to love it. It's an exemplum of what an RPG should be. Expand
  36. Feb 24, 2014
    The Witcher 2 has a great story with decisions that really matter and that gives it a very high replay value, which is rare these days. The characters, music and surroundings are fantastic. There's a lot to do and discover. They also worked on the fighting mechanics and menus compared to the first game, which are still not perfect, but better (movements are too console-ish, no strafingThe Witcher 2 has a great story with decisions that really matter and that gives it a very high replay value, which is rare these days. The characters, music and surroundings are fantastic. There's a lot to do and discover. They also worked on the fighting mechanics and menus compared to the first game, which are still not perfect, but better (movements are too console-ish, no strafing etc.). The leveling/skill system has bonuses that can be aquired in many different ways and there's always something to do.

The graphics are also very good, but the engine seems to lack optimization and could perform better at times.
    Potions are pretty useless, because you can't drink them during battles and you can't always tell when a difficult fight is coming up. The boss fights are seriously tough compared to most other games, but once you get the hang of it it's all manageable.

Overall, The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPGs I've played and I'm very much looking forward to The Witcher 3.
  37. Feb 24, 2014
    The Witcher 2 is one of very few games I'd give a 10/10. It improves on its predecessor dramatically, while retaining what was good about it. Combat system is incredibly versatile. It's literally the only RPG I've played where I didn't just prefer and concentrate on one aspect of the combat (such as physical sword/shield or Magic). No, in this game I used regular sword combat, potions,The Witcher 2 is one of very few games I'd give a 10/10. It improves on its predecessor dramatically, while retaining what was good about it. Combat system is incredibly versatile. It's literally the only RPG I've played where I didn't just prefer and concentrate on one aspect of the combat (such as physical sword/shield or Magic). No, in this game I used regular sword combat, potions, bombs, traps, AND signs. Some battles were tough enough that you had to get creative and think beforehand, which is awesome and exactly how a strategic RPG should play out. I heard that some people complained about the steep learning curve. While I didn't personally have a problem with it playing on dark difficulty, that's perhaps because I was introduced to the series with The Witcher. I've played TW2 both with a m/k setup, and with a controller. As a rule for all but RTS games, I usually prefer a controller, but this game plays well either way. Graphics are gorgeous, though a few lighting elements are slightly annoying.

Where this game really shines is the mature story and character relationships/personas. Choices actually matter and have great impact (I mean, the game completely diverges for a third of the game based on one choice).

Overall, a fantastic game for anyone who loves story-driven RPGs.
  38. May 26, 2014
    Im fan of first person shooters and i dont like games like this, BUT Witcher 2 is amazing, i cant stop playing! Lot of quests, interesting story (very good storytelling) , beautiful graphic and good fight system. For example how good this game is, I play 10 hours consistently on first launch.
  39. Jun 8, 2014
    This game is a great ACTION RPG so if you are into that kind of stuff, go for it. I hesitate to give this game beyond a mediocre score because I was unable to assume the role of our dear Witcher. For me relating to a character is of utmost importance within a role-playing game. Usually, this comes from a large amount of character customization. I have no issue taking a stock madeThis game is a great ACTION RPG so if you are into that kind of stuff, go for it. I hesitate to give this game beyond a mediocre score because I was unable to assume the role of our dear Witcher. For me relating to a character is of utmost importance within a role-playing game. Usually, this comes from a large amount of character customization. I have no issue taking a stock made character as long as I can take ownership of them, however, this was not the case in Witcher 2. While customization does exist a character cannot become more than a warrior that can occasionally throw a spell or, if luck was with you, sneak and take out an enemy.

As a role playing game it isn't quite there but as an action adventure it delivers. However, the UI and the sometimes glitchy combat system will throw you off. I am fortunate that I am able to enjoy the graphics at ultra. It is stunning.

Also, sometimes it feels like a hormonal teenager wrote the script with all the **** in it. Its like I am walking down the street to buy some bread and bam **** in my face. Maybe that's why people give it such great reviews.

I love the alchemy system. I like to drink a lot of potions at once and try to off myself. heheh

If you are a fan of pure RPGs this will leave you a little disappointed, but if you like action oriented play with some customization then go for it.
  40. Jun 26, 2014
    Look this is just a STUNNING game. I don't know why I didn't find it earlier. Its an amazing example of what an RPG can be. And it really puts the open world games like Skyrim in their place. Sure, its nice to be able to walk everywhere and do anything - but The Witcher 2, shows us what you are Missing. Amazing environments, and REAL storytelling.

Character Development, with a million

Character Development, with a million different characters its one face fitting into many. You are Geralt - not only do you LOOK better, you have an amazing back story.

Gameplay - It takes some getting used to, but the slow down time quick keys etc, are awesome. Special take downs, magic. Just so good.

Story - Did I mention the storytelling? Its just so superior to a bunch of fetch and kill quests - of course they are in there, thats all RPG'ing IS afterall. But you really feel you are part of the Story. Some of the environments, like sieges and battles are awesome.

In short - Witcher 2, one of the best games I have ever played. After completion I Immediately wanted to do again. There are actual divergent storylines and quests.

Its HARD to play, Medium difficulty, I just can't kill some of the bosses. Takes real skill. Great game. (there is always easy :P)
  41. Jul 3, 2014
    This is a great, great game in a great, great series. It's hand's down the only modern series that can stand toe to toe with classic RPG's of Infinity engine.
  42. Aug 12, 2014
    The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings.. The perfect combination into the tematics of the first game and a great gameplay. Not the best but is higher than The Witcher 1. Amazing game.
  43. Sep 20, 2014
    One of the best RPG's I've played, a game that forces you to make meaningful choices that have a huge effect on the game. Combat took a bit of getting used to since I started just going in button mashing and ending up dead. had to sit back think about all the tools in my arsenal and play with a bit of thought. Tracking an elite hunt? Set some traps and ambush it. Use your abilities, signsOne of the best RPG's I've played, a game that forces you to make meaningful choices that have a huge effect on the game. Combat took a bit of getting used to since I started just going in button mashing and ending up dead. had to sit back think about all the tools in my arsenal and play with a bit of thought. Tracking an elite hunt? Set some traps and ambush it. Use your abilities, signs and weapons

It is great I would recommend it to anyone, and it still looks beautiful even today.
  44. Dec 27, 2014
    Probably the best game I've ever played

Pros
    **** ****
    +Fight Monsters
    +Get Money
    +Drink Beer

Cons
    -Too pretty
    -Too good

10/10 would reccomend
  45. Apr 1, 2015
    It's a good game, but a bit overrated in my opinion. I wanted to give a 7.5/10. I think from a CRPG point of view the first The Witcher was slightly better. Frankly I am not all that impressed with the combat system in The Witcher 2. The animations feel slow and I don't always feel in control of the character. I wonder if this has to do with console compatibility. Somehow this feels likeIt's a good game, but a bit overrated in my opinion. I wanted to give a 7.5/10. I think from a CRPG point of view the first The Witcher was slightly better. Frankly I am not all that impressed with the combat system in The Witcher 2. The animations feel slow and I don't always feel in control of the character. I wonder if this has to do with console compatibility. Somehow this feels like it was made with controllers in mind.

There seem to be less options in character development than in the first one.

The story is good and choices are meaningfull. Graphics are very detailed but somehow they annoy me. If this game had the art design and crisp combat of Dark Souls II it would have been perfect.
  46. Aug 31, 2015
    Love this game! A lot of changes from the first Witcher title, but there is much more depth, action, and story here.

Story: Get ready to explore a world full of exciting political turmoil and chaos. This new Witcher installment has a lot of in-depth characters and an exciting story which involves political figures, rebels, and mages. You really feel as if your choices and actions

Story:

Get ready to explore a world full of exciting political turmoil and chaos. This new Witcher installment has a lot of in-depth characters and an exciting story which involves political figures, rebels, and mages. You really feel as if your choices and actions shape the game quite a bit as you go along. This leads to a lot of attachment to certain characters and a great amount of replay value. The quests are interesting and engaging. It is nice to see some adult themes being thrown around in a game nowadays too rather than the usual generic boring fetch quests. I really enjoyed the story of this game, much more than the first Witcher.

Gameplay:

There is a learning curve for combat. Gone are the styles of the first game and, in my opinion, a much better type of combat takes its place. At first, it can be quite difficult which I thought was actually enjoyable. You start with all of your signs and get thrown right into combat with no tutorial which, if you never played the first game, I can see why some complained. For me, I welcomed the difficult combat. It’s a nice change of pace to actually have to use oils and potions to prepare for battle as compared to just running in and button mashing. That being said, there are some targeting issues that can be annoying. You may find yourself having trouble targeting the correct enemies which can become frustrating. All in all combat can be difficult, but it’s not that difficult especially once you get dodging down it then becomes much easier.

The skill tree is expended and much more in-depth than many other mainstream RPG’s. However, my only complaint is that the alchemy tree can almost be ignored. I just didn’t find much use for it when compared to the other two.

My main complaint with the game is the menus. They look and navigate like a poor console port. It can be a pain to search for certain items as the organization is feeble.

Graphics/Sound:

Voice acting is top notch here. Geralt, Triss, and all the major players are done with great writing and voice acting. In my opinion the voice acting and writing here blows games like Skyrim and Dragon Age 2 out of the water.

The game looks amazing. The graphics here are crazy good, even without playing on max settings. I played on medium and the amount of detail and interaction is outstanding.

Conclusion:

In my opinion its the 2011 Game of the year, if not RPG of the year. Tons more depth, interaction, and action than most games out there. A really enjoyable experience and a must own for any RPG or adventure gamer.
  47. May 29, 2011
    This game was great. Definitely in my all time top five (Which expands back to the Atari years).
    For gamers: The graphics are top notch and the storytelling really good. This is not really a game for those that want all action all the time. It is an in depth story that the player controls. Many story changing choices to be had throughout!
    For Witcher series fans. Not at good as Sapkwoski
    For Witcher series fans. Not at good as Sapkwoski (but be reasonable!) but still a really great believable story for the Witcher world.
    End felt kind of flat. I guess there will be an expansion. I can not wait!
  48. Jun 6, 2011
    I would like to make a detailed review about why I give this game 10. Well, first off, 0.5 point of this note is out of charity for a game that clearly doesn't deserve a 0. So my real score is 9.5. Let me explain why.

Graphics-wise, TW2 is breathtaking. It's beautiful. But it's also as polished as you can get. I currently play with a rig below the minimal requirements. And it's still fluid and beautiful. The environments are diverse, hardly repetitive and chances are you'll be drooling at some of them. Furthermore, the environments actually feel lived in, with peasants, merchants and whatnot minding their own business, talking to each other at day, sleeping in their home at night, gathering plants in the forest...Some of these background dialogues are worth a good laugh.
    Which brings me to the character writing : Every single npc you'll talk to could be an actual person. They all have their goal, modest or ambitious, and their personality. The moral choices you'll be faced with are also very "grey", and deciding which "path" is the good one is tricky.
    Because you can choose a path. At a certain point, you'll be faced with a choice to which you'll have to react quickly. And this choice will set you on one of two storylines, each very distinct from the other.
    The storie*s* themselves are well-written, with a great share of politics, moral and feelings involved. At some points it may loose its pace, but it's always here in the background, pushing you forward. Although the ending is disappointing compared to the rest of the game. But it's in no way something that should stop you from buying the game.

tl;dr : TW2's story, environments and characters are good at worst and great almost all the time.

Now here comes the spicy bit : the combat. TW2's combat will greet you with a punch in the gut and a kick in the face. While the prologue does great in terms of setting the background and kicking off the story, it fails to introduce you properly to its numerous gameplay mechanics. Reading the manual during the installation is not recommended. It's necessary.
    Not that the mechanics are bad ! The combat requires speed and wit, with extra emphasis on the second. There's many way to defeat your opponents : your swords (one of humans, one for monsters) will be your bread and butter, but you'll gain a significant edge by using signs (simple but effective spells), setting traps, throwing bombs and daggers, drinking potions beforehand and getting in and out of the fray with a most useful roll.
    So don't be afraid or ashamed to start on easy. Once you've figured out most of the mechanics and find te combat dull, scale up. tl;dr : The combat is hard but interesting and fun.

Mind you, the game is not devoid of flaws. The UI is discreet and serviceable, but could be improved. Sometimes the combat isn't as responsive as it should. As I said there's a few points where the story loose it's pace, and the epilogue feels too short. But :
    1- CDProjekt is listening and release patches after patches of bug fixes, additional polish, quick improvements and free (if meager) DLCs to boot.
    2- The game is modable and chances are some of your problems may be fixed by downloading a few addons (most of them are available at thewitchernexus )

So there you go folks. TW2's a great rpg, one of the best I played. And it's DRM free too ! :P
  49. Jun 11, 2011
    Truly a great game. It has all the aspects of a memorable RPG. Deep character development, several plot-altering choices, amazing graphics, etc. I'm looking forward to any future titles CD Projekt will put out.
  50. Sep 6, 2011
    CD Projekt blew us away with this game. It's just simply epic. The graphics are the most beautiful as of now. The storyline is so not linear that beating this game at least twice is a must. Seriously, I don't like comparing games but Bioware should learn from The Witcher 2 how "not linear" game should look like! Since the choices we do and how they affect everything... It's just aCD Projekt blew us away with this game. It's just simply epic. The graphics are the most beautiful as of now. The storyline is so not linear that beating this game at least twice is a must. Seriously, I don't like comparing games but Bioware should learn from The Witcher 2 how "not linear" game should look like! Since the choices we do and how they affect everything... It's just a masterpiece. The fighting is way improved compared to the first The Witcher game. And more challenging, as well. The game seemed really difficult at first which I enjoyed greatly, and later down it just seemed to get ridiculously easy as I kept leveling up. But honestly, that didn't stop me from enjoying the game. Another "bad" think I must point out is that the game seemed a lot shorter to me than the first The Witcher but maybe it only seems like that since the game is so damn epic. Oh, and all the DLCs that CD Projekt keeps releasing, for free... Not many developers are like that! Plus even the normal box edition is quite rich and has some cool stuff compared to other games in that price range. Pros: -Non linear story. -Beautiful graphics. -Highly replayable. -A lot better fighting compared to the first Witcher game. Cons: -First off seems difficult, then gets really easy. At least at normal difficulty level. Expand
  51. May 28, 2011
    This game is excellent. Very challenging to play on Normal, but a cake walk on easy. This game will not hold your hand while in the game, but the manual is fantastic to help you learn to play the game. The graphics are amazing, better then most DX10 games and this game is a DX9 game only. The storyline is interesting and it makes you want to keep playing. There are multiple paths inThis game is excellent. Very challenging to play on Normal, but a cake walk on easy. This game will not hold your hand while in the game, but the manual is fantastic to help you learn to play the game. The graphics are amazing, better then most DX10 games and this game is a DX9 game only. The storyline is interesting and it makes you want to keep playing. There are multiple paths in the game, and you have to play the game at least 16 times to see everything the game has to offer. Literally there are different areas and quests that you will go to depending on what path you take. You take one path and all the areas you go to will be different if you take another path in the game. This game is highly replayable with different content every time. If you do not like games that actually challenge you, then this game is not for you, which seems to be the majority of the negative reviews. Expand
  52. May 30, 2011
    I never write of games, but I had to after reading some the garbage "zero" score reviews. If you are like me, a thirty plus child of the eighties who grew up on hair bands and went to college during the heyday of nineties PC gaming, the Witcher 2 will make perfect sense to you. It's a hardcore, classic RPG. It doesn't spoon-feed you anything. If you are expecting to POWN and frag some noobI never write of games, but I had to after reading some the garbage "zero" score reviews. If you are like me, a thirty plus child of the eighties who grew up on hair bands and went to college during the heyday of nineties PC gaming, the Witcher 2 will make perfect sense to you. It's a hardcore, classic RPG. It doesn't spoon-feed you anything. If you are expecting to POWN and frag some noob with your SCAR-H, just move along, you won't be happy with this game. It's not a dumb down button masher, and won't hold your hand. If you don't have patience, a classic RPG background, and two brain cells to rub together, you will be exceptionally frustrated with this game. It's a throwback to the glory days of PC RPGs. So kiddies, don't expect Dragon Age or any other modern watered down Bioware game here. It's not that and doesn't pretend to be. And to me, that's a good thing. Hands down, it's the best fantasy RPG in the last decade. Expand
  53. Dec 1, 2011
    Absolutely astonishing. The narrative is the best I have ever seen in the RPG genre - maybe apart from the original Witcher game and a few BioWare products. The gameplay and fighting is hardcore but fun, and it's really satisfying to best the toughest opponents - even though the bosses are often comparatively easy to beat. The realistic depiction of a medieval world not filled by genericAbsolutely astonishing. The narrative is the best I have ever seen in the RPG genre - maybe apart from the original Witcher game and a few BioWare products. The gameplay and fighting is hardcore but fun, and it's really satisfying to best the toughest opponents - even though the bosses are often comparatively easy to beat. The realistic depiction of a medieval world not filled by generic NPCs, but with believable human characters, is just great. Add the breathtaking graphics and you've got yourself the RPG of the year. Sorry, Skyrim. Expand
  54. Jun 8, 2011
    The Witcher 2 offers breathtaking visuals, an engaging story, and memorable RPG mechanics.

The story and atmosphere of The Witcher 2 is unlike one you will find in any other game.The characters give a very real down to earth impression that makes you think about every action you take and whose perspective to see things from. Will you side with the underhanded non-human "martyrs" or the ruthless, overzealous imperial commandos? Will you bow to the Warmongering Monarch or the embrace of anarchy?

The atmosphere of The Witcher 2 is that of a classic middle-earth, with the bonus of a refreshing variety of monsters somewhat unlike those found in other games. Rejoice - there are no Orcs in this game!
    Even the main character Geralt, The Witcher himself, is a being not found in the World of Dragon Age, Lord of The Rings, or Warcraft. You play a man, once human, who was stripped of his humanity through rigorous procedure using alchemy to enhance the normal human physiology. All for one purpose: to help slay the evil beasts that roam the world.

The Witcher 2 doesn't even have the three classic archetypes. Yes you can specialize in Magic, yes you can specialize in Fighting with Big Swords, but an Archer specialization tree is missing.... Replaced by the Alchemy specialization tree, which helps The Witcher utilize powerful bombs and guzzle down powerful but dangerous alchemical potions that are so potent as to poison even The Witcher - a being born from alchemy.

The Witcher makes these potions himself using the game's extended crafting system, which is coincidentally used for making the most powerful weapons, armors, bombs, and potions found in the game. Potions are made using the usually plentiful ingredients (mostly everything you pick up can be used to craft another item), while the best Armor is crafted by finding one-time only drops from boss creatures.

There is another reason to buy The Witcher 2 besides the game world and mechanics themselves: every DLC is free. Yep, thats right, no 5 bucks for a bit of extra content on release. The First DLC was free to anyone who registered the game. Since release, 2 patches have been released to remedy the minor bugs and to fix issues with performance, and over half a dozen DLCs have been released, all free.
  55. Jun 4, 2011
    Outstanding Game, definitely in my top 5 favorites of all time. Great graphics, gameplay, and story. This is what Dragon Age 2 should of been, Bioware better be taking notes for DA3. Can't wait for the sequel to this excellent game.
  56. May 21, 2011
    This review score is coming from a console-only player, this game is amazing. I can play it on my with my Xbox 360 controller, and it even changes over the tutorial to include all the appropriate Xbox face buttons, shoulder buttons, etc.! the graphics and the sound design are definitely top notch, and so is the story. my only gripe is the combat is slightly unresponsive at times, and evenThis review score is coming from a console-only player, this game is amazing. I can play it on my with my Xbox 360 controller, and it even changes over the tutorial to include all the appropriate Xbox face buttons, shoulder buttons, etc.! the graphics and the sound design are definitely top notch, and so is the story. my only gripe is the combat is slightly unresponsive at times, and even on normal difficutly I die quite often. Overall this game is amazing and you should play it blah blah, i hope they bring it to the Xbox soon. Expand
  57. May 28, 2011
    Definitely a good game, with absorbing story, loads of humor and quite challenging action fights. The choices were not as complex as advertised, but I had expected that. The biggest drawback is length. It took me about 25 hours to finish this game, which is rather small amount of time for RPG. You can say almost half of the game differs according to one of your decisions, but it is stillDefinitely a good game, with absorbing story, loads of humor and quite challenging action fights. The choices were not as complex as advertised, but I had expected that. The biggest drawback is length. It took me about 25 hours to finish this game, which is rather small amount of time for RPG. You can say almost half of the game differs according to one of your decisions, but it is still disappointing. Expand
  58. Aug 21, 2011
    It's one of the best RPG I've ever played.Graphics,characthers and story is amazing!Alchemy and crafting are very useful.There are a lot of things that you can do.
  59. Nov 23, 2011
    For me, its not only GOTY, its frakin Game Of A Decade. I've finished TW2 4 times so far and still i have desire for more. I've been Sapkowski's fan since his first short story release in some fantasy magazine, so prolly thats a huge part of my impression. For me, even Tolkien can go to kindergarten with his childish stories compared to Sapkowsi's work (thats exactly what i though whenFor me, its not only GOTY, its frakin Game Of A Decade. I've finished TW2 4 times so far and still i have desire for more. I've been Sapkowski's fan since his first short story release in some fantasy magazine, so prolly thats a huge part of my impression. For me, even Tolkien can go to kindergarten with his childish stories compared to Sapkowsi's work (thats exactly what i though when i've read "The Witcher" and "A Road Your not coming back from" for the first time back in that 1988 or something). Graphic wise, theres no competition for that game. Looks absolutely stunning. Like i've said, GOTY is not enough for that title. Expand
  60. Jun 2, 2011
    It isn't a game without flaws. It looks like relased too early, it is short, also the controls are like on conversion from a console (you can't pick up anything using mouse cursor...). But all those flaws are countered by the story that makes you go deep into the world and relases only once you have finished the game...
    Also other positive things: free DLC, (compare it to all those todays
    Also other positive things: free DLC, (compare it to all those todays games that make you paying twice the original price for DLC) no annoying copy protection... and so I can continue ;)
  61. Nov 26, 2011
    I'm playing it again and again. The best RPG ever. Beatufiull world from polish writer books - Andrzej Sapkowski's. Great graphic, dialogues and story from polish CD Projekt RED. Very good sequel and there's 100% support from developers of game, free DLC's and free patches (2.0 that gives special content from stores extended edition). Big and deserved 10.
  62. Jan 26, 2012
    This game has the most beautiful graphics, a splendid and compelling story-line with hard choices that forces you to think and act maturely as well as flawed characters and protagonists that are reflective of the real world and how we live. The combat mechanics are really fun but the boss battles are extremely tough.This game should really be experienced for those seeking a really greatThis game has the most beautiful graphics, a splendid and compelling story-line with hard choices that forces you to think and act maturely as well as flawed characters and protagonists that are reflective of the real world and how we live. The combat mechanics are really fun but the boss battles are extremely tough.This game should really be experienced for those seeking a really great action-rpg. Expand
  63. May 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can express witcher 2 in one word........EXCITING.....simple the best!!!!!:-) a never played such a good game. If I could give more that 10 point a will be do it. Expand
  64. May 17, 2011
    THE GAME IS AMAZING !! The atmosphere, The combat and The Story are just perfect ! I didn't expect for to much of this game, It was also gifted to me but wow it blowed me away ! Just buy it you dont need to know anything else
  65. Jun 4, 2011
    This game, not only the best graphical polished RPG out there for the moment, but it features some really polished combat and rpg systems too! All dialogue is narrated which really works immersive, there are dozens of side-quests you can opt to do or not do, which changes the story after you leave that certain area. A perfect example would be: A peasant asked you to get rid of some hugeThis game, not only the best graphical polished RPG out there for the moment, but it features some really polished combat and rpg systems too! All dialogue is narrated which really works immersive, there are dozens of side-quests you can opt to do or not do, which changes the story after you leave that certain area. A perfect example would be: A peasant asked you to get rid of some huge gnolls that keep raiding his farm, he suspects they have setup a nest in a nearby underground cave. You can chose to eradicate the nest, or skip the quest. Once you finish the chapter you'll notice that your choice actually mattered. The adult atmosphere is also truly unique in The Witcher 2, beware the mothers against! Expand
  66. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Game looks absolutely fantastic. Best RPG i ever played. The graphics are amazing, everything is made with passion, so deep and immerse. Great game, congratulations to the CDP. 10 Expand
  67. May 17, 2011
    At first I wasn't sure how new tweaked combat would turn out, or even if they could reproduce the excellent story-driven plot of the first game. Now that I've played it for a bit any doubts I've had have been put to rest.
  68. May 20, 2011
    Awesome game, a little on the tough side (which is fine with me) but I take off one point for the horrid quick time events, it might be just me, but I can't stand them. Otherwise awesome game :)
  69. May 21, 2011
    One of the best RPG I have ever played. Fantastic graphics, engaging combat (albeit a bit too difficult, but that's good for me) and a wonderful story.
  70. May 21, 2011
    The Witcher 2 utilises a combination of factors to deliver a compelling game, with a solid central story fleshed out via the numerous side-quests. Whilst flawed in places, the undercurrent of excellent game-play decisions make for both a unique and compelling experience. To go into detail about this game's downsides - this game requires a somewhat beefy PC to run at a solid 30 frames perThe Witcher 2 utilises a combination of factors to deliver a compelling game, with a solid central story fleshed out via the numerous side-quests. Whilst flawed in places, the undercurrent of excellent game-play decisions make for both a unique and compelling experience. To go into detail about this game's downsides - this game requires a somewhat beefy PC to run at a solid 30 frames per second. The narrative of the game can jar a little at times. The original series of books by Andrzej Sapkowski is a combination of complex politics and quite a few jokes inside a largely serious world that combines a medieval setting with references to far more modern science, and this has been transplanted into the game and can catch you unaware. The game does not walk you through the tutorial, and does expect you to read a large amount of text to grasp the game's concepts. The Witcher 2 centres around Geralt of Rivia - a "Witcher" - a genetically enhanced warrior with access to useful magic and potion-crafting. Geralt is refreshing as an RPG hero who is well defined by both narrative and game-play. One of the game's under-sung strengths is that the developers did not use the Bioware trick of repetitive good/evil options, yet the options in conversation do frequently give you the chance to change the conversation, or to attempt various risky strategies inside those conversations (one of these, comparable to Jedi Mind Tricks, is exceptionally fun to pull off). To give an early example - on confronted with his jailer, who makes a joke at his expense, the player is offered the chance to take the joke in good or bad humour. In my play-through, I selected "Very funny" - the bad humoured response - and Geralt instead replied **** you". Whilst coarse, this really sets up the character who you have only just been introduced to as someone who gets blunt when he's angry. There's numerous more events like this in the game, and this underlines the storytelling skill of this game's writers. Combat is certainly the Witcher's weakest area of core gameplay, but it nonetheless is a solid experience. The combat is sometimes reminiscent of Assassin's Creed 2, but with more technical skill required. Geralt has access to his magic in combat, but by no means is the magic overbearing, rather really acting as tricks to even the odds in large fights. Like Assassin's Creed 2, their is an underlying current of block-and-punish. Unlike Assassin's Creed 2, the blocking is limited and certainly not instant. A badly timed sword swing cannot be rectified easily, and Geralt can be punished in turn. This matters because Geralt is not endlessly popping potions to stay upright - potions can only be drunk in a meditative state prior to combat, and they're more about buff/debuff than your typical tropes of red healing potions and blue mana potions. This helps reinforce the realism of the fight, and prevents Geralt from looking like an unstoppable death machine, or your typical RPG hero that thinks nothing of drinking an entire keg of health potions whilst fighting. Enemies are still relevant and still need to be fought legitimately. This makes the game hard, and prior to the player getting to grips with the combat it's in fact very hard, yet far more involving and rewarding than a great many other RPG combat systems. Like much of the rest of the game, this involving and narrative-reinforcing style is the very best thing about it. To summarise - this game is the most significant PC game this year, and possibly one of the most important RPGs across all platforms. If you have the PC to run it, go pick it up. 9/10. Expand
  71. May 21, 2011
    Finally, a story-driven game that delivers a complete story-based experience, rather than just a plot line and some well developed characters , stuffed haphazardly into the framework of a game.

Graphically, the game is simply gorgeous, and highlights what can be done with a top of the line card these days. The music is solid and sets the tone of the game play well without being so intrusive that it makes me stop what I'm doing just to listen (or to turn it off in the case of games with musical scores that I don't particularly enjoy). The characters I've met so far have been engaging and believable, but my highest praise so far is reserved for the world itself: The world of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings simply breathes life, and the attention to detail that has gone into it makes everything built upon that world so much more compelling. The graphics are a part of that, but with respect to soldiers being rallied by their King or merely siting by the fire and chatting each other up, all the way to the in-game cut-scenes which show an interrogator pouring a drink, complete with animations, there doesn't appear to be any aspect of this game that has been cut down for the sake of convenience. As far as story-telling in the gaming medium goes, this game is unsurpassed. No longer just plot points strung together by filler combat, this game shows the true potential of gaming as a vehicle for escapism and engagement like no other game in the last 10 years.

Compared to The Witcher, combat in the sequel has also been refined, the result being more engaging than simply waiting for the string of attacks to end before clicking to add another link to the chain. However, while it is more immediate, there are not so many moves for the player to make that it becomes a frantic button-masher. Timing your parries and rolls (and yes, there is a lot of rolling... perhaps too much for my taste, exciting though it can be at times), as well as making judicious use of Signs, is crucial in this game, but success hinges upon a player identifying and reacting to the styles of attacks (and defenses) used by enemies, rather than on the mechanical style of the first game. In other words: You've got to pay attention to how your enemies are attacking, rather than focus solely on what your Geralt is doing.

The one true criticism I have for this game so far lies with the quick time events. Frantically right-clicking in response to a mouse-icon on the screen to winch an arbalest, or waiting for the appropriate letter key to begin flashing on the screen during a boxing match, adds little to the experience and nothing to the story, and hearkens back to the emphasis on mechanics, rather than characterization or story (or "immersion", or however you want to label it), that was prevalent in the first game in this franchise.

Beyond that, however, lies a true gem of PC Gaming, and one that no fan of the genre should miss. But for my own belief that no game is or ever can be perfect, this is surely have been the game that would have earned that score from me.
  72. May 23, 2011
    What I can tell ? This game is great for me. Dialogs, combat system, story, animations, graphics. On my old PC i can play with high details. Optimization is great. For me, game is candidate for Game of the Year. I think it can be one of the BEST PC game EVER.
  73. May 29, 2011
    BioWare could learn from CDPR how to make a real deep RPG game. This is the best game I've played since... The Witcher! Good job CDPR- I'm waiting for 3rd part (alternatively some kind of big expansion :))
  74. Jun 5, 2011
    M_Stannard - you are pathetic and ridiculous. If you want to promote your favorite game DA2 do it well. OK? But not in this way.
    The Witcher 2 is a very, very good game, and your attacks on it are childish. I like DA2, but unfortunately, TW2 is better.
    And a few words about the game The Witcher2. I really liked The Witcher1. Loading was a bit annoying, but the story and graphics in 2007 really make a good impression. It was fun and interesting.
    But The Witcher2 is ... well ... amazing! WOW! Graphics, story, dialogue, music, and combat. This game is so interesting and exciting, it's hard for me to stop playing.Minor bugs do not interfere. My wife says that he wants to play in it. She says it's fun and beautiful game. I admit that my favorite games such as DA: Oh, Oblivion and Fable1 seem awfully boring now. Geralt is a medieval Wolverine. :) - killing machine, but not thoughtless. He is very human and has a sarcastic sense of humor. The Witcher2 this is a new era of RPGs. I downloaded the latest patch (1.2) for the game and the new DCL. Oh. It is a fantastic entertainment. Soon comes the Xbox 360 version of the Exclusive. I recommend to all who love novelty and challenge - because it is a difficult game. For me 10/10.
  75. Jun 11, 2011
    This is the game of the year. I played it for long hours and I don't regret it. It's beautiful, the graphic is amazing, all characters have very deep build with hided problems, attributes. Don't wait! Buy it!
  76. Nov 21, 2011
    Never been much of a fan of fantasy settings but The Witcher 2 had me intrigued and subsequently totally won over. Now here is a fine example of great story telling and immersive gameplay paired with lush eye-candy and a haunting soundtrack. Looking forward to the next instalment once I finish with this one.
  77. Nov 21, 2011
    This is a wonderful and engaging game. It's leaps and bounds ahead of it's predecessor. However, it's not a perfect game. This review was written after version 2.0 so some of the original clunkiness has been removed. What makes this game great is it's ability to draw you into the story. You never really have a sense of the underlying motivations of the various "warring" factions. ThisThis is a wonderful and engaging game. It's leaps and bounds ahead of it's predecessor. However, it's not a perfect game. This review was written after version 2.0 so some of the original clunkiness has been removed. What makes this game great is it's ability to draw you into the story. You never really have a sense of the underlying motivations of the various "warring" factions. This keeps you on your feet while making game changing decisions. The combat can be deemed visceral and fast paced; there's no pause button to queue attacks. While the original witcher employed this strategy, I soon became bored with it, but here I rather enjoyed it. I don't know if it was a lack of immersion or polish in the last installment that didn't excite me. It goes without saying that this game has brilliant graphics, top notch effort. I have some gripes about odd lighting but, it's not game breaking. I love talent trees and the ability to tweak my toon as I see fit; better yet, to fit my play style. Being able to mutate certain traits, while providing a negligible bonus in most cases, also gives you the feeling of character customization.

Now for the things that made this game an eight. Clunky combat in some situations. The battle with the Kayran really exposes the weakness in the combat. I will not spoil the fight but you will see. I wish they would have implemented tab targeting for a quick lock on the fly. Resale value in the game is terrible, money will never be an issue, but, come on it needs to be buffed 25%. I know this is a European game but some of the English translations are terrible; ie the 3 riddles in chapter 3 - they make absolutely no sense. The biggest fault of the game in my eyes is chapter balance. You spend so much time in the first 1-2 chapters that the final chapter just feels rushed. The last chapter baffled me altogether. I'm not sure if they ran out of time or money or both. The best way to put it is ANTICLIMACTIC. Overall, I would recommend this game any lover of RPG's.
  78. Jun 17, 2011
    This is one of the best games I've played this year. Excellent Graphics, Excellent Story, Excellent Gameplay, and plenty of things to do. Easily a contender for game of the year 2011. The hours fly by while playing this game.
  79. May 26, 2011
    After the disappointing dragon age sequel, this game looks so much better because these guys did what a sequel is suppose to be. They took the original game and improved it. It's that simple.

The graphics are stunning. Can't really describe it unless you've seen it. Combat is really more or less challenging at the start and gets easier later. I enjoy the challenge, too many games out

The graphics are stunning. Can't really describe it unless you've seen it.

Combat is really more or less challenging at the start and gets easier later. I enjoy the challenge, too many games out there are just a fancy CGI movie and you're just button mashing as a complicated way of hitting play on the DVD player. Story is overall pretty strong, it got kind of weak at the end but that's probably because it's set up for the next Witcher. Honestly I think a lot of us rave about this game because DA2 set the bar really low this year in terms of sequels. This is exactly how a sequel should be, you take the original game and overall improve it.
  80. Jul 1, 2011
    This game has been done perfectly. I love every aspect of this game including the graphics and controls. Well thought out by the makers. I totally recommend this game even at a 49.99 price tag. You will not be disappointed. This game should get the Game of the year award. They have seriously done their work and made the game correctly.
  81. Mar 12, 2012
    1st best polish game. One of the best RPGs ever, one of the best fantasy universes ever. : )
    I recommend this game and The Witcher Saga too! :D
    Dark and deep world with sclavinian style. Much more better than first game.
  82. May 17, 2011
    One of the best rpg's i've EVER played,and i've played them all,including that utter piece of **** called dragon age 2-hey,bioware-take notes THIS is how it's done-and tell your insecure employees to stop giving a game that ****s all over yours a 0 and get back into the development studio to make dragon age 3 an actual rpg this time-because judging from your last game,you're gonna need allOne of the best rpg's i've EVER played,and i've played them all,including that utter piece of **** called dragon age 2-hey,bioware-take notes THIS is how it's done-and tell your insecure employees to stop giving a game that ****s all over yours a 0 and get back into the development studio to make dragon age 3 an actual rpg this time-because judging from your last game,you're gonna need all the help you can get...what else can i say? AMAZING!!!! GOTY 2011. Expand
  83. Mar 18, 2012
    No RPG could be compared with the witcher 2, maybe only Mass Effect.
    No RPG could be compared with the witcher 2, maybe only Mass Effect.
    Perfect in every aspect, but it is not an easy-to-understand game with a simple plot, flat characters and colourless dialogues (such as the overestimated Skyrim). It's a cinematografic experience, an immersive world full of violence and evil. The most interesting part of the gameplay is the fact that the story is not linear, but divides one game in two. Fantastic the aspect of morality and free will.
    A game that only mentally mature players can appreciate.
  84. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Been waiting a long time for this sequel and so far i am not disappointed! After the massive letdown that was Dragon Age 2, this game came along and saved the day! Awesome combat, and the mix of rpg elements is great. graphics are sick. Im not sure how much of your system it uses i have a pretty high end system so im running at ultra and it looks amazing. no load times either. I started on hard difficulty and the game gives quite a challenge which is refreshing. you actually have to use your magic, traps, and alchemy to give you the edge you need. Anyone lookin for a great rpg to kill those long months before mass effect 3 and hopefully "fingers crossed" diablo 3, get this game! Expand
  85. May 17, 2011
    Great game, the translation wasnt the best, but everything else was great, good story, lost of locations to explore, the combat was good, and let me tell you, this game is very easy on the eyes, and for the people complaining about their machines not running the game well, well thats too bad, get a high end PC or stick with console gaming.

Bioware needs to take a look at what a real

Bioware needs to take a look at what a real studio can do when they put their mind to it, this makes DA2 look shameful in almost every category.
  86. May 17, 2011
    First time I post here, but just one thing to say : congratz CDProject, you have done the best RPG, if it is not the best game I ever played. need more, get your time but do more of great game like this one. We buy and we appreciate them.
  87. May 22, 2011
    Stunning graphics, mature story, good and challenging combat system(which still need some fine tuning), choices that are not obvious, plot paths leading to different locations depending on your decisions, all things considered witcher 2 is probably biggest positive supprise of 2011(negative one being DA2 probably), if you love rpgs you must try it..
  88. May 23, 2011
    First things first. The whole atmosphere is fascinating, the story couldn't be better, the characters are believable, the synch is more or less ok. This game is a must buy category you cant miss it. But there are some drawbacks also. The combat system is a mess especially the targeting system. If you are about to look around in combat to see how many dudes are going to hit your back theFirst things first. The whole atmosphere is fascinating, the story couldn't be better, the characters are believable, the synch is more or less ok. This game is a must buy category you cant miss it. But there are some drawbacks also. The combat system is a mess especially the targeting system. If you are about to look around in combat to see how many dudes are going to hit your back the targeting system screws up and starts jumping between all characters and tags the farest. It wouldnt be the ultimate problem but if you move your mouse just little it switches target. The boss fights are also a little too challenging. But it worths your many anyway. Just dont be too disappointed with the ending. Expand
  89. May 26, 2011
    By far the most comprehensive beautiful rpg world i've ever played. Speechless. This deserves without any doubt GoTY. You won't find any better rpg nowadays.
    Enjoy it ^^
  90. May 26, 2011
    Fantastic game, without the proper tools to do the job, combat can be hard and frustrating in the beginning, but as you level up it becomes extremely enjoyable with lots of different tactical possibilities. Story is rich and deep and draws you in. Graphics are simply stunning, have yet to see such a beautiful and detailed digital world elsewhere. The game is practically bug free. If youFantastic game, without the proper tools to do the job, combat can be hard and frustrating in the beginning, but as you level up it becomes extremely enjoyable with lots of different tactical possibilities. Story is rich and deep and draws you in. Graphics are simply stunning, have yet to see such a beautiful and detailed digital world elsewhere. The game is practically bug free. If you like RPG's its a must buy. Expand
  91. May 26, 2011
    Did you like the first game? Well like myself you will more than likely LOVE the sequel. Hell even if you didn't like the first game this is worth giving a go, the combat has received a radical overhaul; from the addition of ranged weapons such as bombs, traps, the new sign or the fact it is actual fighting this time round rather than just one-button combat. The lore in the Witcher seriesDid you like the first game? Well like myself you will more than likely LOVE the sequel. Hell even if you didn't like the first game this is worth giving a go, the combat has received a radical overhaul; from the addition of ranged weapons such as bombs, traps, the new sign or the fact it is actual fighting this time round rather than just one-button combat. The lore in the Witcher series is simply fantastic, from the rich variety of monsters to the religions and various regions within the game, I personally find the series incredibly immersive and it even convinced me to buy the novels the series is based on, which are also excellent. The best part of the game without a shadow of a doubt is the moral choices you make; your action in one section of the game may have rewarding or perhaps dire outcomes later on without you realising earlier on, it makes you feel you really do have an effect on the world. The mini-games such as dice-poker, arm-wrestling and fist fights are also a great little past time and a great way to earn Geralt a bit of cash. Of course the game isn't perfect; the odd bug here and there and the occasionally glitchy animation but nothing to ruin your experience. Any RPG fan should purchase this game, although my biggest criticism is the difficulty of the learning curve, the game actually starts very hard but eases off as you progress. Expand
  92. May 30, 2011
    Probably one of the best games I'e played in quite awhile. It's beautifully crafted, with greatly defined characters that aren't tacked into the black & white moral sensitivity. The story and plot is great, though the ending is lacking a bit and somewhat disappointing.The graphics are gorgeous. The combat is fun; difficult at times. As some of the exaggerated reviews have stated, it can beProbably one of the best games I'e played in quite awhile. It's beautifully crafted, with greatly defined characters that aren't tacked into the black & white moral sensitivity. The story and plot is great, though the ending is lacking a bit and somewhat disappointing.The graphics are gorgeous. The combat is fun; difficult at times. As some of the exaggerated reviews have stated, it can be a bit lame just dodging and hacking away, but there is still a tactical depth to the game. The combat is still fun, regardless. The ones claiming the Witcher 2 to not being an RPG, are just simply exaggerating and stuck somewhere in the past, thus butthurt along the lines. You can tell the developers put their all into making this piece of art, and they deserve the praise they've gotten so far. Some people just cannot accept change; positive and negative. If you're a fan of most RPGS, and enjoyed the original The Witcher for its storytelling and atmosphere, pick this game up, you won't be disappointed. As for technical issues, most of those have been patched or will be in the future. Some issues are just due to NVIDIA or ATI graphics card drivers; which there are updates for, people just seem to be in the dark on the issue. The developers have stated that all DLC to be released, will be free of charge. Anyway, as I said, fantastic game; definitely game of the year worthy. Expand
  93. May 28, 2011
    One of the best RPG's of the last years. Sure it has some negative points but there are nothing to talk about! If you like Story and deep grown out gameplay then you have to buy it
  94. Jun 3, 2011
    I'm not really an RPG fan. Dragon age was a good game, but I just could'nt bring myself to finish it. I bought Oblivion, couldn't get into it. Fallout 3 and New Vegas....didn't finish....you get the drift. Then I read some user reviews of TW2 and decided to give it a go.....I literally think it made me change my mind about RPG's. What a fantastic game. Not only did I finish this Gem,I'm not really an RPG fan. Dragon age was a good game, but I just could'nt bring myself to finish it. I bought Oblivion, couldn't get into it. Fallout 3 and New Vegas....didn't finish....you get the drift. Then I read some user reviews of TW2 and decided to give it a go.....I literally think it made me change my mind about RPG's. What a fantastic game. Not only did I finish this Gem, I immediately bought its predecessor The Witcher enhanced Edition and am currently greatly enjoying that game as well.....These guys know how to make games people, give both a try if your on the fence....great stuff! Expand
  95. May 17, 2011
    Hugely enjoyable experience so far (5-10 hrs in). Quite a bit more action oriented than I expected, especially in the combat, which took a little while to get used to. And the early Prologue part of the game is really a series of linear action levels. But once it opens up and you can run around exploring towns and solving problems for people this is pure CRPG bliss. Amazingly well madeHugely enjoyable experience so far (5-10 hrs in). Quite a bit more action oriented than I expected, especially in the combat, which took a little while to get used to. And the early Prologue part of the game is really a series of linear action levels. But once it opens up and you can run around exploring towns and solving problems for people this is pure CRPG bliss. Amazingly well made game. Can not recommend it enough for anyone interested in adventure, action or rpg games. The world of the Witcher is a strange mix of a fairly believable gritty european medieval world with magic, elves, dwarves and huge monsters. Expand
  96. Jun 22, 2011
    Easily one of the best RPGs of this past decade, and what firmly rams it into such an elite category is the fact that it is a real RPG. Your choices have real impacts on the story - many developers claim this with it amounting to little in real terms but in this case, decisions are pivotal to AoK and how the story pans out. I've completed the game, but i haven't even played one half of it.Easily one of the best RPGs of this past decade, and what firmly rams it into such an elite category is the fact that it is a real RPG. Your choices have real impacts on the story - many developers claim this with it amounting to little in real terms but in this case, decisions are pivotal to AoK and how the story pans out. I've completed the game, but i haven't even played one half of it. That's because certain choices lead you to side one way or another a third into the game, which gives you an entirely different side of the story and shapes how the rest of your game will play out and what you'll be doing in your game. You're practically getting two games rolled into one, but the choices don't end there as there are roughly 8 different endings for each side, and all the choices you make throughout your playthrough will give you a different experience and story leading up to those endings. Such a system in what has become a stale genre catering for drooling buffoons is incredibly refreshing and something RPG fans of olde have been longing for. There's no good and bad system in making those decisions either, another plague of the genre being forced upon us elsewhere, but simply choices which lead to concequences, concequences which might turn out favorable or not, but there's no right or wrong. This all nods to the story telling which has endless (note: may not be endless) amount of plot twists and turns, always leaving you pondering over decisions, trying to decide if you're really making the wisest choice. The story has great depth to it, more so than any game for a long time or that I can remember without casting my mind back to the dungeon crawlers of yester-year. It can get slightly overwhelming at times and feel like characters and place names are being vomited all over you and you're expected to know who said what to who and where, leaving you to try and comprehend what has just been said - but that's accepted with open arms and glee when you know that the story hasn't been watered down for simpletons, and you see for yourself just how much detail they've gone to with the writing. It's like an interactive novel, apart from you're not just interacting, you're shaping and of course getting to play out all the action instead of imagining it. The plot here puts other RPGs of similar stature such as Mass Effect (one of my favorite series) to shame and makes that look like a childs toy in comparison. Especially when you come to the grittiness and darkness presented here. They've held back on nothing and the end result shows, not only in adult humour and content, but the plot benefits too. I've seen people complaining about the complexity of the combat, but this ties into the game not holding your hand or becoming a one button fest like so many others. The one problem I did have was between the difficulty settings, and finding I had to moderate them myself to keep the game challenging and even then it wasn't too hard. At the start a few fairly easy mobs will have you eating dirt, but later on in the game, even the supposedly hardest mobs are no match once you've mastered the combat, have some skills, items and decent gear behind you. You'll easily be finding yourself at the reload screen during certain fights if you wade in, but if you play it cool then no fight should be a problem and you can drop most enemies fairly quickly, so I feel balancing does need some work but it's no game-breaker. There's enough items to keep you interested in the loot and make it a rewarding experience, especially the crafting but managing your inventory can become tiresome and if like me, you care about getting the most out of your loot, will result in several slow treks to and from vendors - however there are mods out to solve this problem, so on my second playthrough I'll be using one of these. The attribute and skill system is very nice, and no path seems to be the prevalent path which gives you a good amount of freedom to shape your character for your playstyle or try new abilities for multiple playthroughs. A gripe of mine was not having a respec option, one only being available to you if you've made specific choices - which I hadn't. Every player should be given the oppurtunity to respec as otherwise it can lead to sometimes frustrating experiences, so choose your abilities wisely. The fact you have to drink potions before a fight, not always knowing when you're about to fight is an appalling oversight and I don't see why they changed it from the first game. Act 2 was a little dissapointing with linear areas and a plot then became flat, but it picks up again at the end of the chapter. The craft system is excellent and there's so many craftable items that you can try for an entirely different variety of tools at your disposal each playthrough. AoK is truly unique in its atmosphere and style. It's earned it's place as one of my favorite games of all time. Expand
  97. May 26, 2011
    Warning - This game is frustrating. Very frustrating. Early on, you will die. A lot. You will probably want to hit something with your keyboard. The difficulty is rather uneven in places and they don't ease you into learning how to use all your tools very well (and you need all your tools). The difficulty and combat issues aside, this game puts the "RP" back into "RPG". The world is veryWarning - This game is frustrating. Very frustrating. Early on, you will die. A lot. You will probably want to hit something with your keyboard. The difficulty is rather uneven in places and they don't ease you into learning how to use all your tools very well (and you need all your tools). The difficulty and combat issues aside, this game puts the "RP" back into "RPG". The world is very interesting, with a lot of stuff going on. The characters all have their own motivations. Your choices during the game actually matter, sometimes on a large scale and sometimes simply because you can lie to cover for an NPC. Much like the first Witcher, this is not the most accessable game out there, but it's one of the best at making you feel like you're in the world doing stuff. Highly recommended, and if it frustrates you too much just drop it to easy and play for the roleplaying aspect rather then the combat. Expand
  98. May 18, 2011
    Amazing game. Finally an rpg that makes you "WOW" every minute, be it when you go to a new area, explore a cave, fight a powerful foe or romance with your partner. This game is easily the new standard in rpg's, nothing comes remotely close to it. The only cons are the QTE's, the finishing moves and some disappointing UI inventory limitations.
  99. May 30, 2011
    Absolutely awesome game from CD Project. My Game of the Year 2011 beside Portal 2. It is the best RPG on the market. The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age Origins are fantastic. Dragon Age 2 is ****
  100. May 24, 2011
    great game. not without it's flaws....but overall great voice acting, music, freedom of choice, immersion and graphics. Combat can be a little strange (the wrong enemy getting highlighted etc) but this is rare and overall this really is a great experience and one I have very much enjoyed. I hated the Witcher 1 but love this!
    Oh and by the way, I also loved Dragon Age 2 so I don't get all
    Oh and by the way, I also loved Dragon Age 2 so I don't get all the DA2 fanboys bashing this game. I just prefer the Witcher 2.

1. Pelit (Finland)