The Witcher: Enhanced Edition PC

• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Sep 16, 2008
8.5

1. Aug 24, 2011
    Ah, the Witcher. The game I would love to love. This is my third time picking it up in the past few years. The first two times I couldn't make it past the second chapter. I could rave on and on about the good stuff: yes, it's pretty. Yes it's nice to have a world where real people hate each other for real reasons. Yes, there is a LOT of character customization options. The flaws areAh, the Witcher. The game I would love to love. This is my third time picking it up in the past few years. The first two times I couldn't make it past the second chapter. I could rave on and on about the good stuff: yes, it's pretty. Yes it's nice to have a world where real people hate each other for real reasons. Yes, there is a LOT of character customization options. The flaws are there, however, and for me at least, they bog down the game to no end. 1) The fighting: As a few other reviews have said, the fighting is at first a breath of fresh air. The timed click events are unique to the RPG realm, as far as I know. The problem is the lack of fluidity. Want to cast a sign? Make sure that you're done with your swing. Want to switch styles? Make sure you're done with your swing. Want to ... You get the idea. Add this to the inevitable boredom that comes with all gameplay styles eventually, and I was craving an autoattack. 2) The voice acting: Normally, I would brush over this. But this stuff is BAAAAADDDDD. I respect the fact that it probably sounds great in Polish, but really... Youtube some cutscense if you don't believe me, then imagine those voices for 40+ hours. I have to listen to it in French so I don't punch Geralt. The problem is that if you don't read fast enough, you're toast for the rest of the conversation. Add this to the fact that there are a ton of cutscenes, and you've got a HUGE problem. 3) The storytelling: This is different than the story, which is actually quite good. You know when your grandpa used to tell that awesome story, then you try to tell it to your buddies and it just doesn't come out quite right? That's the Witcher. The tone is off, the writing style is off, there are words that are out of place for characters, there are words that are out of place for the world, it's just sad. No, really, I mean sad. The story really is relatively deep. But it is better told on the wikia site. 4) The girls: I've got no problem with a little hanky panky in my games, but this is nuts. It really takes away from the reality of the background. The problem isn't that girls throw themselves at you, it's that they throw themselves at you at oddball times and in oddball ways. It's mature, but in a sappy sense. Sure, you can ignore them, but you can't ignore that they threw themselves at you. 5) The supposed choice system: It's not that it's not there. It's that it's missing a key piece: neutrality. There was time and again where I wanted to say "Ya'll are idiots," and the only options are to pick a side. There might be a lack of a morality meter, but trust me, the morality is there. Again, this isn't a big deal expect for the backstory. You're a sellsword for god's sake! Act like one!

I tried this game again so I would know what was going on when I gave the Witcher 2 a try. I plugged through it for that reason. It's palpatable for that reason. But for those of you looking for a fresh take on RPG's, look elsewhere. The pros where enough to garner a loyal following back in the day, but the cons will turn off those who weren't interested from the start. It's not a horrible game, but it's not one that ages well. Here's for hoping that #2 is better.
  2. Nov 22, 2010
    I recently posted a "mixed" review on this game, and I now feel I must revise it a bit. I'm going to make it short and sweet. Right now I think this game is on line for being one of the best RPG's out there. There are just a few things and a few bugs that keep it from getting the highest of scores in my opinion. I'll break it down to things I like about it and things I don't like aboutI recently posted a "mixed" review on this game, and I now feel I must revise it a bit. I'm going to make it short and sweet. Right now I think this game is on line for being one of the best RPG's out there. There are just a few things and a few bugs that keep it from getting the highest of scores in my opinion. I'll break it down to things I like about it and things I don't like about it:

Likes: Great graphics, Incredible storytelling, fun gameplay and combat (once you get used to it), wonderful music score, original story and content, nice interface, runs great on my system at max settings 1920x1200

Dislikes: Can't jump or jump off anything, the Witcher is glued to the ground, many of the NPC's have the exact same faces (redundant), the Alchemy system is not very intuitive, SLi bug . . . there is a known bug where nVidia SLi users can see lights through the terrain. Like looking at a stone wall and you can still see torch light and window lights through the wall. This is a known bug with no fix, you can disable SLi and the problem goes away, but that is hardly a fix. Some of the cutscenes in the game are a bit long in the beginning and some of the voice acting good be better.

Overall I'm really loving this game, I think you need to play the game for a few hours before you can really start to appreciate it. Some games hit like a truck right off the bat and you never look back. If you pick up The Witcher, take some time with it and get used to the combat system, in the end you'll probably really like the game.
  3. Jan 7, 2011
    I dont know what it is about this game, the gameplay on paper seems like it should be boring, the story is all over the place and the controls are very annoying and clunky, but something about this game keeps drawing me into playing it and i am having alot of fun.
  4. Mar 17, 2011
    I got The Witcher: Enhanced Edition recently because a friend recommended it. It looked great, and the story was very interesting. Throughout the game you must make choices, all of which are important and help define your character. However, the combat is very boring. It is basically timed clicking, with the occasional spell (since you only have enough endurance for 1 or 2 until you reachI got The Witcher: Enhanced Edition recently because a friend recommended it. It looked great, and the story was very interesting. Throughout the game you must make choices, all of which are important and help define your character. However, the combat is very boring. It is basically timed clicking, with the occasional spell (since you only have enough endurance for 1 or 2 until you reach the higher levels). Despite the dull combat, I definitely enjoyed the Witcher. It was one of the few games which made me think deeply about the ending. Expand
  5. Jun 19, 2015
    A really nice game. The combat is dated and fairly easy to grasp. Despite being a sword wielding witcher, combat revolves around using the right potions/stance for the job and clicking every once in a while at the right time. This is true for the entirety of the game. While it is not very engaging in combat, the story is VERY engaging. From courting every talkative female you come acrossA really nice game. The combat is dated and fairly easy to grasp. Despite being a sword wielding witcher, combat revolves around using the right potions/stance for the job and clicking every once in a while at the right time. This is true for the entirety of the game. While it is not very engaging in combat, the story is VERY engaging. From courting every talkative female you come across to fistfighting drunks in every bar you enter, there is a world for you to conquer. The actions you take have a dramatic impact on the characters you come across, and you'll never quite be able to decide if someone is "good" or "evil", because nobody is a shallow stereotype in this world.

People who seem like sleazebags often turn out to be kind at heart, and others who seem like valuable allies force you to make decisions you don't want to, turning them into enemies.

When I beat the game I was compelled to look back at all the people I interacted with and how their lives turned out. Despite doing my best I couldn't avoid killing people I had once been trying to protect, and in the end I felt like a pawn in a game that I didn't understand, yet somehow I had still come out the end a hero who had done all he could to keep peace and order.

If you have the patience to deal with combat that isn't very engaging, and a lust for good storytelling, you should without a doubt play this especially if you have any interest in playing the other Witcher games.
  6. Sep 6, 2013
    The Witcher is one of those rare games that are created for real RPG fans by a Great developer that knows how to please their costumers without milking them in the processes, like Bioware, Blizzard, just to name two.
    I wont say it's a perfect game or that I would recommend it to everyone.
    Why? Because this game can only be truly appreciated by a real hardcore RPG fan, which I'm not. To
    I wont say it's a perfect game or that I would recommend it to everyone.
    Why?
    To be honest I'm more of a linear RPG/ action adventure game fan like Bioware used to make.

So what did a liked in this Game:

The story which as some really unforgettable moments
    The amazing soundtrack
    The art work, which is beautiful and detailed.
    The game world that felt alive and vibrant, with day and night cycles, dynamic weather, NPCs doing their daily work during the day and returning home at dusk.
    The strategic element through the use of potions and magic.
    The choices you make have significant consequences to the way the story unfolds and to the ones around you.

What I didn't Like

The pacing of the story which begins at a very dull tone and slooooooooowly starts to gain momentum.
    The difficulty spikes
    The boring combat mechanics that made me quit this game more than twice.
    The excruciating booooooooooooooooring fetch quests
    The dull sound effects
    The hit or miss voice acting
    The immature and borderline distasteful approach to sex in this game.
    The anticlimactic and boring boss fight with Azar Javed.
    The fact that everything in this game is too expensive which forced me to side track from the story to look for loot, that in 70% of the times is food and booze.
    The lack of customization, armors, interesting weapons (the steel sword you start with is actually better than 90% of the weapons in this game).
    The fact that after a cut scenes, that precedes a fight, I would immediately be surrounded by enemy's and attacked before I could respond.
    The lack of interesting puzzles

In conclusion
    Considering this is the first game from CD Projectk Red, and the low budget they had, i'm very impressed with the final product despite it's multiple faults.

I rate this game a 7 out of 10. But be warned this game is not for every one.
  7. Aug 3, 2015
    Like:
    + the story,it's very engaging and deep, got me hooked.
    + that you have choices which can affect things later on, making you often question if you should of made that decision. + Main characters are memorable. + the fist fighting and poker playing. + I think the graphics are quite good. Dislike: - Combat is terrible, click enemy wait for sword to glow, click again succeed
    Like:
    + the story,it's very engaging and deep, got me hooked.
    + Main characters are memorable.
    + the fist fighting and poker playing.
    + I think the graphics are quite good.

Dislike:
    - Combat is terrible, click enemy wait for sword to glow, click again succeed and repeat or fail and start again.
    at first didn't like how the combat felt, but after getting used to it past the first boss, it doesn't seem too bad and is worth putting up with as the story is good. And once you start getting combo's into the 3's to 5's it's quite fun to watch Geralt do elaborate multiple swings and backflips.

-Not fond of the easy, trashy women, every woman I come across in the game wants Geralt. None of them seem to have any morals or respect for themselves. And don't have old fashion values of courting, romance or being wooed properly.

-Monster hunting side quests a bit boring and repetitive.
    -some quests have a lot of back tracking with no quick way to travel.
    -inventory is so small with no way to expand it.
    -unimportant NPC's have many replica's such as old peasant women all look the same, the merchants all are fat richly robed etc.
    -A bit too linear, can't go back to previous areas.
    -A bit disapointed at the end to obviously what Alvin has become in the future.
    -even playing on normal mode, didn't need alchemy much, mostly just used swallow, Cat, white rafford's Decoction and the occasional oil coating. Didn't bother with bombs.
    -With the signs only used Aard for knockback and Igni for Incineration, didn't find the others that useful or necessary.

Despite the things I didn't like, I definitely reccomend this game, especially for those who like RPG's and a good story. This game to me is a must play. Not quite worthy of an 8 as the combat is rather clunky and not very good.
  8. Jul 16, 2012
    If there's one thing that can be said about The Witcher, it's that it is a very unique game.

1) No other game uses timed combat in such an interesting fashion, and manages to make it feel fresh the entire way through. 2) No other game uses potions in such an interesting and complex manner. 3) No one places quite the same emphasis on player choice in quite the same way, with

2) No other game uses potions in such an interesting and complex manner.
    3) No one places quite the same emphasis on player choice in quite the same way, with frightening murals displaying the consequences of each choice.
    4) No other game has created a world and environments in quite the same way that the Witcher has.
    5) No other game has quite the same main plot that the Witcher has
    6) No other game grants you quite the same quests that the Witcher does

No one has made a game quite like this one before, and if only for that reason, this game is worth checking out. However, there is an annoyance coupled with every great thing that this game brings to the table.

1) Some combats can be overcome simply by outrunning/ exploiting the AI, which is way too easy to do, especially at what are supposed to be great moments in the game.
    2) Potions can only be brewed at Fireplaces, which requires a lot of dead travel time.
    3) Ever so rarely, the game isn't quite clear about what the choice you're actually making IS. I don't mean the consequences, I mean the choice.
    4) The world suffers from a drab low fantasy coat of grime, with too many people eager to slut themselves around to the point where character motivations become muddled and uninteresting.
    5) The Witcher suffers from Explaining Syndrome, where it doesn't always narrate along the way; it sometime just explains the plot to you afterwards.
    6) The Witcher manages to make fetch quests not feel so much like fetch quests, with good item placement, and also by weaving your identity as a Monster Slayer into the fabric of the game. However, some quests are still unbearably miserable messenger boy runs, and the sex cards are pretty lame and spontaneous.

There were a lot of things that I liked about the Witcher; it's a title that you only get in the PC genre, and really expounded upon that strength. However, its flaws truly dragged it down from something brilliant to something very inconsistent.

Still, a great freshman effort from CD Projekt.
  9. Aug 22, 2013
    See Haon's review. He said it better than I could.

See Haon's review. He said it better than I could.

I really wanted to like this game. I tried several times to play through it but only got through chapter 1 both times before quitting. My main problem with the game is that the menu/inventory system seems unnecessarily complicated and the dialogue is poorly written and acted. The storyline may be awesome but I'll never know because I can't get over how strange the words are the come out of the characters mouths. Maybe it's just a poor translation into English. Good try though. 6/10 for effort.
  10. Apr 8, 2012
    First time picking this game up, I didn't play it in 2007. It's a good looking game, and the combat is different than anything else I've played before. The story is good, and the settings are diverse enough to never get boring. I do have some problems, which to me, made finishing the game more a chore than anything else. The combat, while different, becomes repetitive quickly. It doesFirst time picking this game up, I didn't play it in 2007. It's a good looking game, and the combat is different than anything else I've played before. The story is good, and the settings are diverse enough to never get boring. I do have some problems, which to me, made finishing the game more a chore than anything else. The combat, while different, becomes repetitive quickly. It does require some thinking as you have different weapons for different scenarios, but it all plays out the same. Timed click until dead. The signs (magic) in the game cannot be woven into the combat fluidly. If you miss-time a click, you receive a beat down, especially on the hardest difficulty. As well, as mentioned before the story is good... but the delivery is bad. The English translation is probably not up to par with the original Polish dialect, but the conversations are broken and devoid of any emotion. Especially from Geralt, the protagonist. I found I read the subtitles faster, just to skip hearing people talk. It's worth a play for sure, especially if you are setting up the sequel, but I just didn't find the game as amazing as it sounded from reading other reviews. Expand
  11. Aug 3, 2013
    Surprisingly good, though a bit rough around the edges. Basically Mass Effect with a medieval fantasy setting (and even more promiscuous sex). Atmospheric, some funny dialogue, and a good story. I liked the watercolor paintings used for loading screens and cut scenes. However... gameplay is sometimes tedious, the interface and mechanics could be better, some quests and dialogue choices areSurprisingly good, though a bit rough around the edges. Basically Mass Effect with a medieval fantasy setting (and even more promiscuous sex). Atmospheric, some funny dialogue, and a good story. I liked the watercolor paintings used for loading screens and cut scenes. However... gameplay is sometimes tedious, the interface and mechanics could be better, some quests and dialogue choices are confusing, some animations are bad and I had some CTDs and glitches. But the strong points more than make up for the flaws, in my opinion. Expand
  12. Jul 14, 2014
    General Overview: This is a game that I alternately LOVE and HATE. It is unique, does justice to the lore (you will understand if you have read the original fiction) and has some great game play systems. The graphics are sub par with LOTS of annoying clipping, animations are repetitive and lack impact, the questing structure is awful with LOTS OF FETCH QUESTS, limited ability to moveGeneral Overview: This is a game that I alternately LOVE and HATE. It is unique, does justice to the lore (you will understand if you have read the original fiction) and has some great game play systems. The graphics are sub par with LOTS of annoying clipping, animations are repetitive and lack impact, the questing structure is awful with LOTS OF FETCH QUESTS, limited ability to move about the map that divides open areas into tunnel segments, dialogue is poorly written, voice acting and line delivery variable from acceptable to down right cringe worthy, NPC models are poorly executed and repeat CONSTANTLY. The uniqueness of the game style and setting, use of great mechanics for crafting and skill building are what carry the game along with the general tone of the story and just the concept that make this worth playing ONCE and only once as long as you can stomach traversing the same map, OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. My advice is to watch a play through and if you want the story just watch it as The Witcher 2 is a far superior game.

TL;DNR: 6: Great ideas, adheres to lore and expresses it well, unique game play and RPG elements with acceptable combat. Poorly written dialogue, terrible animation and graphics, stiff and stilted line delivery that goes from acceptable to awful. Only purchase on sale and if you are an RPG hard core player as the fetch quests, poor level design and spending 2/3 of your time crossing a map many, many times makes this game hard to play for long.

Technology/engine: 4: Lots of loading screens, frequent bugs, generally sub par.

AI: 4: Brain dead enemies with the exception of some boss encounters.

Graphics: 4: dated, poorly and inconsistent application, lots of NPC repetition, lots of annoying clipping and generally poor cinematics (except for the opening which is brilliant and one of my favorites).

Sound: 5: Functional with issues of source to distance and inconsistent triggering.

Soundtrack: 5: Standard with little to say about it.

Voice acting: 6: Variable from acceptable to cringe worthy.

Crafting: 8: The alchemy system is great and very well executed.

Customization: 7: Decent play style customization within skill trees.

Gameplay systems: 9: The systems are really well developed with a unique timed combat system, signs (magic), alchemy, NPC interaction and development. This game is to be commended for this aspect and is one of the best in its development cycle but the other aspects pull it down and make it tiresome. The quest structure and level design are what really detract here.

Controls: 7: Serviceable to well done.

Story: 7: It is faithful to the lore and the substance of the story, under the poorly written dialogue and variable voice acting, is really great - its execution is really hit and miss.

Multiplayer: N/A
    e
  13. Sep 15, 2014
    It's a really good game gameplay wise. The Aurora engine was brought to its limits with this title I think. The monotonous, but yet easy to control combat system works as intended, character development has a point being there (even if most magic signs are just gimmicks and I never use them).
    The game shines at dialogues, lore and setting, even if the main plot is average at best (you couldn't care less about it). But the loads of sideplots, bonus quests and characters is magnificent and keeps you playing just because you really want to see how a certain substory ends, not because "I need to finish this game for the sake of it". But talk about disappointment and uninspired ending, oh God.
  14. Sep 24, 2013
    Incomprensible que tanta gente tenga en tan alta estima a este juego. La historia es "original", en el sentido de que parece que el que la ha escrito no sabe ordenar muy bien sus ideas. El sistema de combate, sencillamente horrible (ataca, ataca, ataca). Y las misiones secundarias parecen una broma de mal gusto. Pero lo peor son los numerosos "bugs" y errores en general, que atacan cuandoIncomprensible que tanta gente tenga en tan alta estima a este juego. La historia es "original", en el sentido de que parece que el que la ha escrito no sabe ordenar muy bien sus ideas. El sistema de combate, sencillamente horrible (ataca, ataca, ataca). Y las misiones secundarias parecen una broma de mal gusto. Pero lo peor son los numerosos "bugs" y errores en general, que atacan cuando menos lo esperas. Recomendado sólamente si estás muy aburrido. Expand
  15. Feb 7, 2016
    Feels like a book series was made into a videogame by people that didn't really know how to make a videogame.

Probably because that was their exact case. The Witcher 1 is ok to look at(terrible glitches on hair physics that make a lot of characters look extra stupid though) and has some nice musics, but the distance between its world and storyline quality and its gameplay is

Probably because that was their exact case.

The Witcher 1 is ok to look at(terrible glitches on hair physics that make a lot of characters look extra stupid though) and has some nice musics, but the distance between its world and storyline quality and its gameplay is appalling.

The former deserve high praise, although few characters are all that good, they all decidedly give you the same vibe of a powerful, living breathing world, which is the star of this game. The storyline is exciting and you do root for Geralt's quest and success as he braves constant adversity with seemingly neither fear nor anger. He is a great hero.

But for all the praise here, the terrible downer that is the gameplay gets stronger with every quality in the story.
    It's bad.
    Poorly designed, stock and uninventive, no not even uninventive, because the very concept of invention is utterly absent here. Literally every single last quest, except the main storyline one, is a fetch quest. EVERY SINGLE QUEST.

Meet character x. x needs item a. Go find characters y, w, and z, to find a.
    The line I just wrote defines almost every single quest of the game.

More than that, combat is very very weak and uninteresting, locations and level design is very nice but the backtracking is weighing on the game horrendously, and in general the strong feeling of being part of an interactive book absolutely does not leave me throughout the whole game.

A more modern game with this much plot and this little gameplay might've ended up a VN rather than an RPG. That's how little good gameplay there is in this.
  16. Aug 1, 2015
    This game has a very slow start where it very slowly teaches you how to play. Once you get over this part, you'll find yourself absolutely hooked!

Pros: Fascinating story. It's like reading a book, once you start it's hard to put down. The gameplay is very in depth, aside from sword fighting there are also spells that allow players to make more choices in a fight. Alchemy is fun in

Pros:
    Alchemy is fun in ways that you could explore and make your very own potions. This allow the player to explore and discover their own way of playing the game which I really like.

Cons:
    The major reason why this game is just good and not great is to do with the movement and animation.
    1) Too much running around. Yes I know this is the consequence of having a large map but this game needs more fast travels. In a 60 minute gameplay you'll find yourself spending at least 20 minutes running around with your middle finger on the w key.
    2) Fight mechanism isn't as engaging as it could be. All you do is just click at certain times. They should at least allow you to crouch, jump & block etc. The fighting mechanisms are sometimes quite glitchy. For example, if you and the enemy attack at the same time, you may only see your enemy receiving your attack and flinch after getting hit. However, the truth is his attack that happened at the same time will also be registered, if your hero doesn't parry he will take damage.

Overall these are just minor problems and are easily outweighed by all the good components of the game. I strongly recommend this game to anyone who are willing to try a new genre and are willing to learn. Trust me it's worth it.
  17. Feb 14, 2011
    The worst thing I can say about this game that it feels like work. The simplest tasks take endless resource grinding, the combat is repetitive, and you'll spend lots of time walking from one place to another to pick up this or that from this or that NPC. However, every so often, I find myself wanting to get back to this game. I never truly lose interest in the story or characters, I loveThe worst thing I can say about this game that it feels like work. The simplest tasks take endless resource grinding, the combat is repetitive, and you'll spend lots of time walking from one place to another to pick up this or that from this or that NPC. However, every so often, I find myself wanting to get back to this game. I never truly lose interest in the story or characters, I love the gritty feel of it, and yes--the mechanics of combat are dull, but it's presented in a very cool way that closely resembles what a fight in a real medieval setting would look like (though the game really does give you more weapons than you really need, at least at first). It's complex, but all good RPGs are, and for the most part the complexity doesn't feel unnecessary. Keeping in my that it was the developers first game, I'm excited in what direction they go from here; perhaps this game's sequel will be less tedious and more streamlined.â Expand
  18. May 19, 2012
    Haon's review on this game is very similar to how I feel about it. Whilst there is undoubtably bags of quality in there, as an overall package it just doesn't quite work as well as it should. My main gripe isn't that the combat is boring - personally I found it quite decent and pretty fun even after 30 or so hours - it's that the game itself is boring. There's a lack of any real excitementHaon's review on this game is very similar to how I feel about it. Whilst there is undoubtably bags of quality in there, as an overall package it just doesn't quite work as well as it should. My main gripe isn't that the combat is boring - personally I found it quite decent and pretty fun even after 30 or so hours - it's that the game itself is boring. There's a lack of any real excitement throughout the game and each quest is more work than fun. The game's got a lot of great aspects including a superbly downtrodden and realistic atmosphere, it's also got a very mature and practical feel to it (although it does go overboard with the amount of women you get to bang with such little effort), but throw in lots of micro management with the inventory and labourious quests that involve a lot of going back and forth and it just feels like to much work to play through. Expand
  19. Jan 8, 2012
    Despite how many problems this game had, I did enjoy it in the end. What problems? Where do I begin? Glitchy alchemy, awkward combat, numerous crashes/freezes, bad voice-acting, confusing interfaces, VERY slow start, distorted difficulty curve, fights against cheesy mobs, awful AI, etc. It's not until the third chapter (~20 hours in for me) that the game started to even develop, and I hadDespite how many problems this game had, I did enjoy it in the end. What problems? Where do I begin? Glitchy alchemy, awkward combat, numerous crashes/freezes, bad voice-acting, confusing interfaces, VERY slow start, distorted difficulty curve, fights against cheesy mobs, awful AI, etc. It's not until the third chapter (~20 hours in for me) that the game started to even develop, and I had to wait until the fourth and fifth chapters until I felt like I was enjoying myself for more than five minutes at a time. Why a 7 then? Simply put, the pacing of the game once the fifth chapter hits is very good. It's action-packed with interesting quests based on the issues of the characters you've learned about. The best answers to your problems aren't clear and you have to simply make decisions based on gut instinct. You see the outcomes of your decisions unfold into an ending that made me scratch my head. It's the pacing of this last chapter that really shines. There's no more bs about getting some guys honeycombs from his friend 3 towns over; you are thrown into the middle of a substantial political conflict and the fate of who lives and who dies is up to decisions you make. In my opinion, it's enough to shine above all of the disgusting bugs I mentioned at first. I give it a B/B- overall, and an A- for the fifth chapter and the epilogue Expand
  20. Nov 23, 2012
    I had picked up the Witcher when it was originally released and tried playing it twice- getting bored both times before completing it.

The combat system in the Witcher seems confusing and cumbersome during the first few acts- but once you level up a few times and get used to the quirks to it this ceases to be an issue. The middle levels are quite enjoyable- the gameworld is well developed and reasonably original. The RPG combat and character development is well done and the artwork holds up a half decade after its original release.

Unfortunately the questing is largely fetch quest based. In the latter portions you end up doing a *lot* of back and forth over familiar terrain either grinding monsters or fetching quest items. This was a showstopper for me on the original version- but the enhanced edition vastly decreases the load times and makes this somewhat less tedious.

Not my favorite RPG of recent years- but probably worth the price of a movie ticket if you are a fan of the genre.
  21. Jan 3, 2013
    Positives:
    -Adult themes -Artistic style is pleasing
    -Main character Geralt is a badass and really sarcastic -Your choices have a lasting effect but nothing big Negatives: -Fighting system is rather boring. Each fight is basically timing when the right time to strike is as dictated by a tiny icon. -Every quest is a fetchquest. -Other characters are cool but rather shallow. Overall
    Positives:
    -Adult themes -Artistic style is pleasing
    -Main character Geralt is a badass and really sarcastic
    -Your choices have a lasting effect but nothing big

Negatives:
    -Every quest is a fetchquest.
    -Other characters are cool but rather shallow. Overall I didn't have very much in the way of fun. I have not finished the game and I may never because I don't really care to. With the boring fighting system, the boring quests, the eh characters, I didn't find enough motivation to keep on playing. However many people have. So, who knows.
  22. Jun 13, 2011
    The game is one of the best I've played until now. It has deep interesting and unpredictible story. The graphics, level design and mechanics are very good. I loved the experience. I wish there were more games like this one. I wanted to rate 10/10, but metacritic blocked it. The score is biased. "Score (9.0) id must be a floating point number."
  23. Mar 25, 2013
    The original Witcher is a good RPG with some rough edges. The story is great, and the amoral, non black and white morality is something that needs to be seen in more games. That being said, the combat is awkward and non-immersive, the voice acting & translation is strange at times, and there are still, in 2013, a metric ton of bugs.
  24. May 3, 2013
    The witcher is recommended for fans of wrpg games but might not be suitable for others.
    Here's whats good in it :
    - Superb and unique setting based on slavic culture (rarely seen in rpgs) - Mature and engrossing storyline -Time delayed choices (ie the decision u make may not affect u instantaneously but will reward or bite your ass later) -The soundtrack (i still hum it from time to
    Here's whats good in it :
    - Superb and unique setting based on slavic culture (rarely seen in rpgs)
    - Mature and engrossing storyline
    -The soundtrack (i still hum it from time to time!), though its not TES quality, it still is memorable.
    Here's what's bad in it :
    - backtracking, tons and tons of it.
    -the combat, though unique doesn't feel satisfactory
    -no fast travel
    -You will feel tired by the end of the third chapter. the fourth chapter is slow but will ultimarely pick up pace later on.

So if u can forgive "the bad". You can enjoy the game. A 7/10 from me.
  25. Jun 3, 2014
    It is a good, mostly fun and playable RPG. It has one or two glitches and the fighting mechanics could be a bit better but a good game all round. Some good humour here and there too.
  26. Mar 7, 2012
    I know there are a lot of people that like this game and I seriously tried to give it a legitimate shot, but wow, I am completely disappointed. Mundane, non-strategic mouse clicking combat, expressionless mannequin-like characters, horrid voice acting, jagged graphics, and a non intuitive inventory system start off my rant list.

I mean I can understand kids liking the game because of

I mean I can understand kids liking the game because of the sex cards, but the dialogue and the unnecessary questing leading up to those second-rate soft porn scenes just makes me want to puke.

I found a pretty funny review that sums up my frustrations in more detail than I have room for here:

Thanks to Witcher, I now know the definition of fetch questing...
  27. Dec 26, 2014
    It's a good game in the instances when the script doesn't turn on itself (and the player). The battle system doesn't always work as intended, it can become tedious fast, the autosave is inconsistent at best. Also, a lot of boring, boring fetch quests, making the gameplay an unnecessary runaround. Inventory limit is a joke, enemies will bum rush you all the time, getting you stuck unable toIt's a good game in the instances when the script doesn't turn on itself (and the player). The battle system doesn't always work as intended, it can become tedious fast, the autosave is inconsistent at best. Also, a lot of boring, boring fetch quests, making the gameplay an unnecessary runaround. Inventory limit is a joke, enemies will bum rush you all the time, getting you stuck unable to change style or attack. I like it, sometimes. Most of the times, though, i feel like the game was made by people who hated it, or something. Expand
  28. Oct 11, 2011
    It's fortunate that I own a digital copy of The Witcher because if I owned a physical copy I'd probably have thrown it against the wall and smashed it to pieces by now. This enhanced edition is as infuriatingly clunky and frustrating as its original release, which I remembered loathing when I played it on its first release. Post completion of the highly superior sequel, I went against myIt's fortunate that I own a digital copy of The Witcher because if I owned a physical copy I'd probably have thrown it against the wall and smashed it to pieces by now. This enhanced edition is as infuriatingly clunky and frustrating as its original release, which I remembered loathing when I played it on its first release. Post completion of the highly superior sequel, I went against my better judgement and purchased the game on Steam confident that a different perspective would yield an enjoyable experience but I still don't like it. I'm trying hard to give it a chance and persevere with it but it's just not fun, it's rife with poor design, crap combat and terrible voice acting. I persevered through crashes, glitches and other make-you-want-to-tear-out-your-hair moments because otherwise I could've wasted my money much more creatively. In hindsight, The Witcher has a few good moments. As the game draws to a close, things finally get exciting and interesting and the story is well-written, however I doubt I will ever play it through again. Expand
  29. Jan 20, 2012
    The game features a very interesting main storyline and an immersive world, though it can hardly be compared to the mighty sequel. Dull combat, generic sidequests, massive difficulty gaps between areas ruins the experience though. It is worth playing through it if you are interested in the much better Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.
  30. Jan 8, 2014
    The game is still enjoyable in 2014, but suffers mostly (IMO) from terrible load times between every location. The over minuses are already mentioned poor combat implementation. The quite complex system the every hit should count suffers from uncontrollable character: so I clicked or not? why he is not attacking? oh, now it shows "too fast"!. You adapt, but it's not enjoyable at all.
  31. May 18, 2011
    I wanted to like this game, I really did. The premise is intriguing, the environments are well-rendered, and the characters are interesting. But no matter what I did, I simply couldn't get past the mind-numbingly boring combat. Combat consists of imitating a metronome, and was fresh and exciting for all of about two seconds, and then it become soul-crushing drudgery that completely sapsI wanted to like this game, I really did. The premise is intriguing, the environments are well-rendered, and the characters are interesting. But no matter what I did, I simply couldn't get past the mind-numbingly boring combat. Combat consists of imitating a metronome, and was fresh and exciting for all of about two seconds, and then it become soul-crushing drudgery that completely saps your will to continue playing. I wish I was joking when I say I have never seen such a boring combat system in an RPG before - even Winter Voices (admittedly a different genre of RPG entirely) had variety going for it...

I really hate seeing such an interesting game world completely ruined by a truly awful combat system.
  32. Dec 21, 2011
    Too many not worked ideas. Too tiresome. Much you run there here, speaking with the same characters though it is possible to join all it in one dialogue.
  33. Dec 13, 2012
    After looking at reviews on this site and elsewhere I figured that this game was sure to be a great choice. I was wrong. It might be a good game, but I couldn't keep with it long enough to find out because after several hours of frustrating quests, overly complicated menus, boring combat, and totally forgettable characters and story I gave up on it. The most fun I had was looking for womenAfter looking at reviews on this site and elsewhere I figured that this game was sure to be a great choice. I was wrong. It might be a good game, but I couldn't keep with it long enough to find out because after several hours of frustrating quests, overly complicated menus, boring combat, and totally forgettable characters and story I gave up on it. The most fun I had was looking for women to seduce, but that got dull quickly. One thing I did appreciate was the lack of a gimmicky morality or alignment system, so I felt free to make whatever choices seemed best, but this was like a cherry on top of a tasteless cake. By the end of the first act I found that I had no real sense of what I was supposed to be doing or why and didn't care about any of the characters, including the protagonist. Not a good sign for a RPG... Expand
  34. Jul 28, 2013
    The movement in this game is awkward. By that I mean the movement of the camera doesn't match to the movement of the character. The controls aren't something you can just jump back into, although most keys are standard i for inventory, J for journal, etc. C is not character, it's a fighting style. The combat in this game is somewhat hard to control. The camera isnt 'particularlyThe movement in this game is awkward. By that I mean the movement of the camera doesn't match to the movement of the character. The controls aren't something you can just jump back into, although most keys are standard i for inventory, J for journal, etc. C is not character, it's a fighting style. The combat in this game is somewhat hard to control. The camera isnt 'particularly jerky, but it move fast. Targetting your weapons can be hard because you only have a small almost pinpoint cursor to use, which can easily get lost in battle. Witcher 2 improves this franchise quite a bit. I can play this, but witcher 2 I enjoy more. Expand
  35. Jun 11, 2015
    Great storyline, ill conceived control setup. Which makes all the good things about the game suffer. Very few games are ported with success. Best to start from scratch even if it takes more time and effort to do it.
  36. Aug 22, 2015
    Ho appena finito di giocare il primo Witcher e che dire...mi ha parecchio deluso.
    Dopo un discreto avvio, la trama inizialmente interessante ha continuato sempre più a diventare banale facendo perdere forse l'aspetto migliore del gioco: l'atmosfera.
    Dal punto di vista tecnico per quanto nell'insieme ancora oggi faccia la sua bella figura, resta uno dei prodotti più sopravvalutati del suo periodo. Gli stessi difetti che sono stati rinfacciati ad altri giochi dello stesso genere ma dal carisma minore, compaiono anche qui e in grande quantità: stessi modelli per i png che si ripetono all'infinito e di qualità alterne, doppiaggio in italiano quasi risibile e scene di dialogo totalmente inespressive e legnose. Oltre a questo una giocabilità carente e legnosissima per quanto concerne un altro aspetto fondamentale del gioco, i combattimenti. Ciononostante, il carisma del protagonista e l'ambientazione risollevano la produzione e spingono il giocatore a sapere come andrà a finire.
  37. Mar 5, 2015
    I picked this game up because it has great reviews and "The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt" looks impressive.

The Good: The story is decent. It's not the most original thing ever, but for a video game it's pretty solid. I found most of the characters engaging even if the voice acting is a bit stiff much of the time and the dialogue can be hilariously bad. The graphics of this game are also very good for when it came out. The world you explore is very good looking, if a bit cramped. Monster design if interesting and often original. I found the potions system to be in depth and challenging; allowing players to manage different ingredients to get the same potion. The music is comprised of catchy little medieval tunes, except when you have a boss fight and it switches over to heavy metal for some immersion breaking reason.

The Bad: Combat. Even after I got used to the combat it was still very unresponsive and unsatisfying. I died more times than I can remember just because Geralt would not respond to commands. He would just stand there and get his butt kicked. And I'm not talking about stun locks or anything, he just would not move. Even when Geralt would successfully attack, it always felt like I was just swing my sword through the air (sometimes I was and it still counted as a hit). There is no feeling of impact to the combat. Also, the dodge move is incredibly unreliable. The missions get to be a bit of a mess as well. I had almost 20 missions going on at one time and the game doesn't indicate which ones you can make progress on or not. More times than I can count, I would be looking for a character in the places they normally were only to find out that they had disappeared or moved to another place for no reason. This brings me to the map. The map often points to areas where your objective is, but then there's nothing there. The map is confusing and sometimes detrimental.

The Ugly: Game play suffers for the story, which comes off as pretentious. On about 5 different occasions, twice during boss fights, the game decides to have a cut scene DURING A FIGHT and when it fades back in, you are getting beaten to death and can't do anything about it. It's like CD Projekt forgot they were making a video game. I "failed" quite a few missions because I didn't do them in the exact order the game wanted. Not that there was ANY indication that there was an order in which they needed to be completed or that I was going to a point of no return. This game had more frustrating WTF moments in it than anything I've ever played. The system in which you collect naked lady cards every time you bang a chick. Classy. It literally objectifies women, which is odd because one of the main characters in the game is an independent and well developed female. The Witcher also crashes a lot. I'm running it on a powerful rig, Windows 7 64 bit, and it crashed at least once every time I played it. No file corruptions though.

Verdict: "The Witcher" is often called "a thinking man's RPG". I'd say it's more of an OCD fan boy's RPG. Looks like I got run over by the hype train. Not recommended.
  38. Dec 5, 2013
    Is a good game, but is far from Dragon Age or Baldur`s Gate in my opinion in terms of game play and soooo far from Telltale games in storytelling and choices. I played this game after playing great choices games like The Walking Dead, or The Wolf Among us, and I think that is why I didn't find that part of the game amusing.

It has great music and great environmental effects. The combat

It has great music and great environmental effects. The combat system is not bad, the fights are dynamic. I like that there aren't millions of quests like Elder Scroll saga. I suppose it has great graphics for the year it was released.

This is a story I have read, watched or played like thousand times, I know that most of people think that is great, but I found a bit boring, maybe after playing The Walking Dead or reading Game of Thrones everything is different... xD

Many people say that this a mature story... I think that it is dark and there is sex in the game xD... but that doesn't mean that is mature. I agree that is cool that the decisions that you make affect the storyline... but this is not new... you can see it in most of rpgs, maybe in this game the choices are more 'mature' or more ethically complex than in other games like Dragon Age o Baldur's Gate, but as I said before... veeery far from Telltale Games choices gaming (maybe is unfair to compare with Telltale Games I know...).

The types of quests are quite repetitive. The cuts between scenes are awful. There are many bugs, and the controls are a bit unresponsive sometimes.

I think this game is quite overrated. I had probably enjoyed it more if people hadn't told me that was a great game. I give it a 7 minus 1 to counterbalance its reputation.
  39. Feb 3, 2016
    The Witcher is not a very good RPG, and I will explain exactly why: The combat system is annoying and unbalanced, Geralt will take forever to swing his sword, whereas your enemies have lightning- fast maneuvers and attacks. Another problem is that traversing the world is hard. There is no horse to help you get to areas quicker, and no fast travel, and the sprint ability barely helps. TheThe Witcher is not a very good RPG, and I will explain exactly why: The combat system is annoying and unbalanced, Geralt will take forever to swing his sword, whereas your enemies have lightning- fast maneuvers and attacks. Another problem is that traversing the world is hard. There is no horse to help you get to areas quicker, and no fast travel, and the sprint ability barely helps. The only thing that saves this game from getting a 0 is that there is an interesting story, with multiple endings. Do'nt buy this game, Buy Witcher 3, or Skyrim, or even Fallout 4. Expand
  40. Feb 11, 2016
    Best review I can muster for this game is as follows; I played through because my friend highly recommended the Witcher series due in most part to Witcher 2. I can't skip games in a series, so I forced myself to play through the dry first game. It wasn't terrible. Just rough to play through due to how old the game is and it hasn't aged well.
    I played the Witcher who was only out for 2
    I played the Witcher who was only out for 2 things.
    1. Shani
    2. Other Women/Monsters who had lady parts.
  41. Jan 2, 2016
    Excellent story but dated graphics and combat. Very dark Atmosphere.

Graphics: 5
    Game play : 6
    Combat: 5
    World Design: 7
    Content: 9
    Immersion: 7
    Story: 9
  42. Jan 2, 2016
    small world. backtracking all over. too many dialogue even if voice acted, though. go there kill this, grab that, fetch, deliver. weak gameplay. way too long. unlikeable chars... it is not mature and makes for a dull game. do you know what g stands for in rpg? not for booooring. maybe at it´s time but definably not 2016! not worth to play if you wanna catch up. this game is around thesmall world. backtracking all over. too many dialogue even if voice acted, though. go there kill this, grab that, fetch, deliver. weak gameplay. way too long. unlikeable chars... it is not mature and makes for a dull game. do you know what g stands for in rpg? not for booooring. maybe at it´s time but definably not 2016! not worth to play if you wanna catch up. this game is around the 50hrs mark and a sore to struggle through. watch the 8hrs(!) all cut scenes youtube story-video instead. it is not broken and thus no bad but not a good game. Expand
  43. Jan 16, 2016
    Not worth playing.

I'm still stuck in chapter 1 wandering about in village spent more than 10 hours. In terms of gaming experience, it's a disaster - clicking at the enemies severals times and that's all you can do combat - no tactical strategies required. At some point, you are going to figure out it's better for your time and mental health to delete the game as soon as possible.
    Not worth playing.

At some point, you are going to figure out it's better for your time and mental health to delete the game as soon as possible. Dungeons are terrible compared to Elder scroll series.
  44. Oct 16, 2011
    When I heard about the game trough critics and so on, I was blown away, I thought this gamw would be epic! I'm used to RPG's from Bethesda, as The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Fallout 3: Game of the year edtion, and Fallout New Vegas. Well I started the game, the combat sucks, the graphics suck, it's not really "open-world", the quests is boring and doesn't really give any meaning to me.When I heard about the game trough critics and so on, I was blown away, I thought this gamw would be epic! I'm used to RPG's from Bethesda, as The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Fallout 3: Game of the year edtion, and Fallout New Vegas. Well I started the game, the combat sucks, the graphics suck, it's not really "open-world", the quests is boring and doesn't really give any meaning to me. Actually it may be one of the worst games I've ever played. Collapse

The main adventure still has serious pacing problems, combat's still too easy for the most part, and load times -- though reduced -- continue to get in the way of the action.
  2. The new and improved package is increasingly attractive. There are still some rough edges, and moments of genuine drama are still undercut by how they're performed, but this is an agreeably driven RPG in an agreeably ornate package.
  3. PC Format
    Finally, The Witcher fulfills its potential, and, best of all, it's available as a free update, just in case you bought it anyway. [Nov 2008, p.110]