8.6

1. Apr 8, 2014
    An fierce episode that makes you trust more on YOUR instincts instead of the choices on the screen, and that lets you feel like you're Bigby Wolf. The third episode was an great example of how dark this game is, and how much darker it can get until the end of the season.
  2. Apr 8, 2014
    This episode is going to keep you on the edge of your seat. This game has a great ability of completely cutting off your sense of time and surroundings. I am absolutely hooked on this story. Consistent quality over all three episodes so far, can't wait for the next one.
  3. Apr 8, 2014
    The third episode of The Wolf Among Us has alot of important moments. Every line feels important, and your choices feel very important. The Episode is one of the best Telltale had ever brought to us, and if it was alittle longer then it's 1.5 hour length, it would have been in my opinion the best episode Telltale ever made. With it's length, its "only" one of their best.
  4. Apr 8, 2014
    Where the middle stretch of TT's The Walking Dead felt drawn out and watered down with filler content, Episode 3 of The Wolf Among Us Is an excellently paced piece of content that knows how not to overstay its welcome. Short and sweet, the episode's stunning finale, possibly TT's best action sequence yet, leaves you with more questions than answers. In short, pick it up now. If the firstWhere the middle stretch of TT's The Walking Dead felt drawn out and watered down with filler content, Episode 3 of The Wolf Among Us Is an excellently paced piece of content that knows how not to overstay its welcome. Short and sweet, the episode's stunning finale, possibly TT's best action sequence yet, leaves you with more questions than answers. In short, pick it up now. If the first three episodes are anything to go by, The Wolf Among Us will go out with nothing short of a bang. Expand
  5. Apr 10, 2014
    The third chapter in the Wolf Among Us is the best yet. If offers plenty of player choice, some great action and interesting plot and characters. This is an incredibly immersive and engrossing and will keep you waiting for the next one.
  6. Apr 9, 2014
    * I still find the pop ups to be annoying, as they interrupt the tense atmosphere and impact of the choice you made. Please Telltale, at least give us the option to turn it off! I know I am not the only one here.*

A crooked mile starts out at a tense and brooding pace and does nothing throughout its length to ease the player of its dreary tale. Gone is Toad, with not one in person appearance. :'( Overall with the exception of a bar sequence with Grendel and Holly, is there a laugh to be had. This is for better or for worse as I am torn between satisfaction and dreariness. I do understand that this is a dark tale but it could have done with a moment where the player can reflect a bit on the story before moving on. All is well though, as the episode ends with an epic and inviting conclusion just right at the line of uncomfortable.

The choices this time around feel less substantial than before, however, and it was slightly more predictable story wise. Also, there isn't hardly as much player interaction outside of mashing q a few times, and I played the majority of the game with one hand. This all being said though, the series strongest card to play is the story and there is so much here that all of these flaws are easily forgivable. However much I wish the gaps in between releases were much shorter, I am looking forward to continuing on and seeing where the tale leads. Another solid release and much better than smoke and mirrors. I am going to go play it again!
  7. Jul 3, 2014
    Majorly impressed by this game. I think it might be better than The Walking Dead. SCORE 93/100.

Imagine "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" (a cool book my daughter loves) put in a gritty, violent, adult world (or just HBO). There are characters from fables, fairy tales, and fantasy books all mixed together in a post-fantasy, dystopian-ish world. I am hoping this game has many sequels. It's going to be awesome.
  8. Jul 19, 2014
    The plot is becoming more engrossing as new characters appear and new threats are on the horizon. There's more action here, as well as tougher decisions, all while retaining the great aspects of the previous installments; from the visuals to the story to the game mechanics.

Looking forward to the two remaining episodes and seeing how this story ends.
  9. Apr 20, 2014
    Like Episode Two, Episode Three or "A Crooked Mile" seems to be a bit shorter than the first episode, however the anger, angst, atmosphere and action in this episode will keep you on the edge of your seat as you delve even deeper into Fabletown's dark secrets.
  10. Aug 3, 2014
    In , the climax reaches what you think it's the pinnacle of the series. Grab an entire evening for you, a cold beer, shut down the light, and play it. You'll be hooked like never before. Be ready for another wonderful chapter ending.
    As always, think before chat and know when to trust your instincts. Everything will matter
  11. Apr 16, 2014
    **** fantastic, again telltale has managed to completely capture the universe and characters of Fables by giving us more information about the mystery and adding new characters, expanding to an already MASSIVE world, The Wolf Amoung us, so far, Is already one of my favorite games of 2014, it completely captures the vibe and feeling of one of my Favorite comics and gives me a visual and**** fantastic, again telltale has managed to completely capture the universe and characters of Fables by giving us more information about the mystery and adding new characters, expanding to an already MASSIVE world, The Wolf Amoung us, so far, Is already one of my favorite games of 2014, it completely captures the vibe and feeling of one of my Favorite comics and gives me a visual and oral look at the world of Fable Town.

12. Apr 9, 2014
    The story improves from chapter to chapter but is still too short :/
    I hope that the final chapters will be longer, because otherwise it could be the Achilles heel of the game
  13. Apr 11, 2014
    The Wolf Among Us took a bit of a stumble on episode 2. Episode 3, while still not as amazing as episode 1, manages to offer yet another wonderful experience, building up more intrigue and with some really tough choices to make. It is not the best thing Telltale has put up yet, but it was a good time nonetheless.
    Firstly, this episode is all about character bonding. The characters you
    Firstly, this episode is all about character bonding. The characters you were introduced in the first two chapters that you thought didn't matter do matter in this episode, especially talking about Holly, the bartender slash troll. We also get to meet some amazing new characters, by far the best of all and most interesting villain Bloody Mary played wonderfully by Kat Cressida.
    There are not many intense action sequences like in the first game, and I happen to found lots of framerate slow-downs at the beginning, and a very frustrating glitch at the end which made me take a decission I didn't want to. Still, the choices the game presents you, while storywise pretty much nonexistent, are mind-bending anyway.
    The ending, finally, is not much of a cliffhanger but more a clean, confusing scene where are suspicions and our minds are completely puzzled off (Seriously, any character in the game can be the murderer at this stage). Telltale delivered another memorable chapter on its impressive portfolio of games, and as always, I am excited to see what's next.
  14. Apr 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

All in all, A Crooked Mile is probably my favorite episode of the season thus far and one of my favorite Telltale episodic releases to date as well, beating out even several Walking Dead episodes in recent memory. The pacing, the outcomes of decisions, and the data all streaming together make it a worthwhile episode to experience and the continuation of an interesting narrative truly is a beautiful sight to behold indeed. Just when you think you can see how the cake will bake, you realize you're in fact peeling an onion and that for each layer gone there are several more thin ones beneath. If the series here were a beast, it probably be a hydra- for every one problem fixed two more or even three, in this case, seem to show up. Even better, there's a slight revelation at the end of the chapter- well two really, and I'm interested to see what they will entail in the final two to come...

Concept: Are you ready to beat some heads, investigate some new leads, and take the law into your hands as the Big Bad Wolf once more? You'd better come prepared for the axe to drop if you're planning on playing this episode.

Graphics: If you thought the previous episodes were dark and gritty, be prepared to embrace an even darker narrative series of twists as Bigby and Co explore the leads they've been given and encounter some...unexpected circumstances.

Sound: The voice acting is still very well done, the diverse characters you encounter really feel like different people- and sound like it to of course. All in all the tense moments play to the perfect beat and the soundtrack elements never miss a thematic shuffle about hitherto thitherto.

Playability: The controls are tighter than before, which is an added bonus even though they worked pretty much perfectly already. Also, the dialogue has been significantly beefed up and the role-playing elements increased further to boot.

Entertainment: The story continues to evolve in interesting and mostly unexpected ways, and you'll have to hold on for dear life if you want to make it all the way to the final destination it intends to bring you to- roaring full tilt the entire way. I have a feeling we won't be getting a mellow ending anytime soon...

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 8.75
  15. Apr 10, 2014
    Awesome as always. Short as always. Less surprises maybe, but the plot is developing very well. Interesting new characters, some bonding with the old ones. The choices still haven't got the emotional weight of the walking dead game series but I think this is more about the loneliness of Bigby and how you are going to make Bigby affront all the darkness of this world, playing him as a goodAwesome as always. Short as always. Less surprises maybe, but the plot is developing very well. Interesting new characters, some bonding with the old ones. The choices still haven't got the emotional weight of the walking dead game series but I think this is more about the loneliness of Bigby and how you are going to make Bigby affront all the darkness of this world, playing him as a good sheriff or as the big bad wolf. Expand
  16. Apr 17, 2014
    Loved it, not quite as good as episode 1, but better than episode 2. Though, if I were to give more truth to my ratings here all three episodes would be around the perfect score. Every other game rating would be closer to sixes and sevens.
  17. May 2, 2014
    Telltale "Games" is makes decent movies, horrible games. They need to stop trying to pass these things off as games and critics need to stop reviewing them as it they are amazing games...they're not games.
  18. Jun 8, 2014
    Too be honest this episode felt the worst amongst the previous 2. I am enjoying the storie, but that is all that is here and I am rather getting tired with this type of "game". Your actions in the end means absolutely nothing. For instance, I am super nice to this one person, or I spare this other persons life or I stopped beating him up . . . in the end it utterly means nothing and yourToo be honest this episode felt the worst amongst the previous 2. I am enjoying the storie, but that is all that is here and I am rather getting tired with this type of "game". Your actions in the end means absolutely nothing. For instance, I am super nice to this one person, or I spare this other persons life or I stopped beating him up . . . in the end it utterly means nothing and your actions will not mean life or death for you at any point in the "game"

All you do is choose what sentences to say that has a timer attached to it that creates an illusion that what you are doing/saying is extremely important . . . it is not. There really is no consequences to your actions.

In the previous episodes there was actually quite a few things to do, many things to discover and learn more about the characters that fills this story, but this? 3 to 4 places to "search" for crane. This episode just felt like a filler of some sort, be it a bad one at that.

The story (esp episode 1 and 2) does draw you in, but that is all that there is here. There is nothing to solve, not by you by any means. You are simply riding along and you choose how the hero reacts to things - that is it.
  19. Apr 15, 2014
    This entry is much more gripping that the previous episode "smoke and mirrors" while the second episode felt weak in its execution the 3rd episode really picks up Bigby's adventure adding a cool time limit ensuring that this episode will take multiple play throughs to see everything it has to offer , and trust me there is alot to offer , the build up of Bigby's true form is finally shownThis entry is much more gripping that the previous episode "smoke and mirrors" while the second episode felt weak in its execution the 3rd episode really picks up Bigby's adventure adding a cool time limit ensuring that this episode will take multiple play throughs to see everything it has to offer , and trust me there is alot to offer , the build up of Bigby's true form is finally shown to you in this entry , but just as quick as it started , its taken away from you in the intense ending of the hour long episode , it really shows that the telltale games can work on 2 projects at once and still pull it off very well , i give this a 9 and i would never give this series a 10 , only because the wait between episodes is killer Expand
  20. PCR
    May 28, 2014
    There will always be a lingering need for procrastination, especially in video games, when it comes to experiencing something for the first time. This is in part because the anticipation of the event tends to be just as exciting as the execution. But this is also due in part to the fact that once you do partake in these exploits, you are that much closer to the end of them.

As we pass

As we pass the halfway point in the releases for the episodic adventure for The Wolf Among Us, nothing could ring more true.

A Crooked Mile begins after the shocking revelations of Smoke and Mirrors (starting to see a pattern here?) with an enraged Bigby looking for Ichabod Crane.

Without spoiling too much, the hunt for Crane is the end goal of the entire episode. This may sound like it would result in a linear and boring episode, but it manages to stay fresh due to a variety of different variables to sway the usual path of linearity (and by linearity, I mean Telltale linearity, because though they give you multiple options to reach it, the path still usually ends at the same stop).

The art style and soundtrack also feel noticeably more refined than the previous episodes. The frame rate issues and bugs I encountered in earlier instances were non-existent or were not evident enough to take away from the scenes (aside from Stripper Bigby SPOILERS). The scenes also receive more applicable non-diegetic soundtracks, almost double the amount, that help add tension and emotion.

Once again, the bread and butter of The Wolf Among Us is in its characters and their interactions with one another. The reason these characters are all so entertaining is because they don’t adhere to the fairytale, perfect versions of themselves, and are actually quite the opposite. Just about each one is vulgar, rude, and downright ugly in some way, shape, or form throughout interactions with them in previous episodes, and most increasingly so. A Crooked Mile does a great job of taking these interactions from the previous episodes that made you view those characters in a negative light in those episodes, and subsequently changing your viewpoint and opinions simply based on the interactions with them in this episode. But that doesn’t mean that there still aren’t bad guys, and that’s a good thing because the ending introduces two new ones, in such a badass way that you can’t help but be excited to see where it all leads.

A Crooked Mile does a phenomenal job of continuing the story of Fabletown while still managing to remain fresh and exciting. Based on the revisions to an already fundamentally sound and phenomenal series, it’s going to be hard to top this episode. With that said, A Crooked Mile has managed to build even more anticipation towards the next episode’s release, where another journey awaits.

Final Thoughts

Gameplay: While sticking to its base routes, Episode Three manages to throw in a few variation and surprises in the gameplay that keep it exciting.

Appearance: Aside from the erant stripper wolf here and there, the game looks as good as ever.

Sound: With the addition of some much needed diegetic tracks combined with the usual great voice work and dialogue, the sound is the best it’s been in any episode.

Bottom Line: A Crooked Mile is the best episode yet, and moves the Wolf Among Us one step closer to being an elite game and franchise.
  21. Apr 10, 2014
    Probably the best The Wolf Among Us episode. The choices were harder, the dialogue stronger and the action was always at its peek. The episode was shorter, yes, but it didn't waste a second, and the plot was flowing naturally, skilled of a great writing. Gives hunger for the next episode!
  22. Jun 30, 2014
    Holy crap this episode was intense. There were some heavy choices to choose from. There were times that I didn't know what to do. Because I was afraid that If I choose wrong, I'd end up hurting those around me. It has all of that good stuff(fights,Dialogue,choices). and while the second episode had some pacing issues. This episode advances the plot at an awesome pace. This is my favoriteHoly crap this episode was intense. There were some heavy choices to choose from. There were times that I didn't know what to do. Because I was afraid that If I choose wrong, I'd end up hurting those around me. It has all of that good stuff(fights,Dialogue,choices). and while the second episode had some pacing issues. This episode advances the plot at an awesome pace. This is my favorite episode. It also has a badass finale. 9/10 Expand
  23. Jul 11, 2014
    Эпизод интересен,местами скучноват,но интересен.
    Минусы как я и сказал "скучно".
    Маловато "press X to win" но много загадок и вещей,над которыми нужно подумать.

The series ramps up its intensity and shows the dark side of popular fairy tale figures. If only the game could be a little longer… [Issue#241]
  2. May 14, 2014
    Another neon night, stalking through the gorgeous nightmare of New York City. If you are not moved, you simply don't have a heart.
  3. May 7, 2014
    The Wolf Among Us is still more enjoyable than the 2nd season of Telltale’s The Walking Dead, but, all in all, the taste is already gone, and there are two more installments to play through.