8.9

1. Jul 12, 2014
    First about the technical and art aspects - they are top notch. Graphics, art direction, dialog, voice overs - all of those are at a very high level. It definitely will give a lot of animated series and movies a run for their money.

Now the game play has been disappointing for some as it is unlike Monkey Island or any classic adventure game for that matter. While you do have an inventory and sometimes get to use items from it there really are no puzzles to solve. The game just moves along regardless if you do things or not. I think to get full enjoyment out of it you should view this game more as one of those "choose your own adventure books" but with a great story, great characters and some though choices rather than as an adventure game. If you do that you will have a blast, if you are looking for clever puzzles then I am afraid this might not be the game for you.

The choices are pretty hard regardless whether they really matter and so on in the end. What matters is that you know what choices you made and some of them were some of the hardest choices I have ever had to make outside of real life.

The characters are very interesting and the game is quite mature, and not in a boobs everywhere type of way. There is poverty, forced prostitution, loan sharks, and even the bad guys are more of anti-heroes than just one dimensional evil characters.

The whole settings, based on the Fable comics which are quite great, is awesome. But I am a sucker for fairy tales and seeing this downtrodden community of characters you grew up with facing every day life far from their home is downright heartbreaking.

And this is what this game ultimately gave me, it gave me a good 8 hours of an emotional roller coaster filled with hard choices. I was angry, I was sad, I was happy, and I was sorry... the walking dead made me cry, but this made me feel.

Overall, highly recommended!
  2. Jul 9, 2014
    Overall a highly enjoyable and engaging experience. However many decisions are starting to not feel important in the overall outcome.
    The first few episodes build the characters well however it feels like it starts to drop off, especially for me the last episode being quite poor, and only trying to make up for it in the last minutes with a twist.
    Still well worth a look for fans of this
    Still well worth a look for fans of this style and the Fables story.
  3. Aug 2, 2014
    A fantastic game. Finished it in two days. It's got a great story and very relatable characters. If you're a sucker for adventure games, you probably like great stories. And if you like great stories, you'll absolutely love this game. Stellar storytelling.
    The Walking Dead is a masterpiece and so is this one. I have absolute confidence in Telltale Games. They can do no wrong.
  4. Aug 15, 2014
    The Wolf Among Us starts off brilliantly with the first episode showcasing some of the best writing in all the video games I've played. The noirish setting with its unique art style had me hooked, and most of the characters that are introduced have a lot of depth and personality. Voice acting is great and the soundtrack feels appropriate for every scene, aiding whatever emotional impactThe Wolf Among Us starts off brilliantly with the first episode showcasing some of the best writing in all the video games I've played. The noirish setting with its unique art style had me hooked, and most of the characters that are introduced have a lot of depth and personality. Voice acting is great and the soundtrack feels appropriate for every scene, aiding whatever emotional impact the game attempts to induce. Overall, the first episode gave me a very positive impression of the game and the cliffhanger ending had me wanting more.

Subsequent episodes are still quite decent, however I felt they weren't of the same calibre as the first episode which I consider to be the most well constructed of all five. Difficult choices are present throughout the series, however the game does occasionally feel as if there's very little progression and some glaring plot holes also start to emerge. I think most people will agree that the fourth episode was relatively weak, as not only was it the shortest, but the secondary characters that were introduced felt poorly developed and the build up to the finale was underwhelming. The final episode had some pretty epic action scenes, but the Crooked Man doesn't feel like much of a threatening antagonist, thus the trial scene wasn't as tense or climactic as I expected. I was also hoping for a better resolution between Bigby and Snow, though the final interaction with Nerissa is very eye-opening and concludes the series on an overall positive note.

Lastly, throughout the whole game, you'll also probably encounter occasional stuttering. Some of the animations may also seem a bit jerky, particularly in action scenes, but none of this isn't very significant. Finishing the game, I couldn't help feeling slightly disappointed that the rest of the game didn't quite hold up to the very high standards of the first episode. However, the game is still very engaging and well worth the price. Anyone who has played previous games from Telltale, or anyone interested in what is a very mature and memorable setting should consider playing The Wolf Among Us.

Individual episode ratings:
    Episode 1, 'Faith' - 8.8
    Episode 2, 'Smoke and Mirrors' - 8.2
    Episode 3, 'A Crooked Mile' - 8.4
    Episode 4, 'In Sheep's Clothing' - 7.3
    Episode 5, 'Cry Wolf' - 8.0
    Overall rating - 8.1
  5. Nov 9, 2014
    By far one of the worst, most boring games i've ever played.
    Characters are painfully boring and stupid.
    Dialogues are even worse - made me angry most of the play time. Action scenes are mostly redundant with no real action involved. You can collect a few items but without any real point - you can't use them and they don't make any difference in the story. They'd be better off making
    By far one of the worst, most boring games i've ever played.
    Characters are painfully boring and stupid.
    Dialogues are even worse - made me angry most of the play time.
    Action scenes are mostly redundant with no real action involved.
    They'd be better off making a movie - the graphics are the first advantage.
    The episodes are very short - an hour of gameplay - thats the other advantage
    At the end of the 5th episode the only choice i regret is playing this game. I'd be better off staring at the black screen.
    If someone offered me to jump down the witching well or to replay the game - I'd be jumping before they could finish the sentence.
  6. Aug 26, 2014
    This is such an underrated game! It is one of the best interactive story games I've ever played. The graphics are beautiful and along with the music and atmosphere make for a superb environment (very much like an animated comic). Voice acting is flawless and superb. The story is addicting, with cliff hangers at the end of each episode and a lot of plot twists.

The dialogue choices often

The dialogue choices often don't make much of a difference but many of them do, along with some other major choices. The fighting can be pretty fun and is definitely a joy to watch.

Overall, a pleasurable 9 hour experience, the whole way through. The ending was wrapped up nicely (no major plot holes) with a *slight* cliffhanger at the end, JUST enough to get you excited for Season 2.
  7. Jan 10, 2014
    At a first glance it seems to be a pretty well put together game. Multiple choices and consequences give the game a genuine feeling of making an impact on the game. However I am only speaking of Episode 1. The first episode came with such high hopes and promises for the series and left us the fans wanting more. Three months has gone by and not a word on Episode 2 or so much as an ETA fromAt a first glance it seems to be a pretty well put together game. Multiple choices and consequences give the game a genuine feeling of making an impact on the game. However I am only speaking of Episode 1. The first episode came with such high hopes and promises for the series and left us the fans wanting more. Three months has gone by and not a word on Episode 2 or so much as an ETA from Telltale Games. The only thing that TTG has said was that there would be an ETA on episode 2 after the holidays. They have not so much as posted anywhere online in over a month and that has left a lot of fans with souring regret in their mouths. I understand delays and wanting to put out a polished game to the fans but when the game is sold as episodes and is meant to be released every couple of months, it would be beneficial for the dev to keep in contact with the fans. Game developers need to understand that the fans make the game a success or a failure. No word from them means they could care less about the game and is making the rest of us would be fans falling into the same mindset. They have our money and that seems to be what TTG cares about the most. Expand
  8. Feb 9, 2015
    Combat is boring, your character moves *way* too slow, and a lot of the choices you make don't have much of an impact on anything but the next line of dialogue, but the dark visuals combined with long-time fairy-tale characters who are living real lives, where reality is one grim consequence after another and everything sucks as a result of that, creates a grim and depressing video gameCombat is boring, your character moves *way* too slow, and a lot of the choices you make don't have much of an impact on anything but the next line of dialogue, but the dark visuals combined with long-time fairy-tale characters who are living real lives, where reality is one grim consequence after another and everything sucks as a result of that, creates a grim and depressing video game experience that everyone should try. Expand
  9. Nov 19, 2014
    I don't like adventure games, but gave this one a try because of the good reviews, and I'm glad I did. Excellent art and writing, great voice acting, and a fair amount of branching choices to help you define your character and create the story.

I still don't like adventure games, but I'll continue to make exceptions for anything from this studio, as long as they maintain this level of quality.
  10. Jan 19, 2015
    The Wolf Among Us is a modern-day point-and-click cinematic adventure-game by the same developer that brought us outstanding The Walking Dead.

The graphics feel dated but the solid writing and voice-acting more than makes up for that. There are five episodes and although near the end I felt that some of the choices my character could make weren't entirely what I would do, the story still came together at the end and managed to leave me satisfied.

I was faced with a bug that ruined a small part of the game for me: after act 5 (although this can apparently happen during any act) I was faced with a "THIS DIALOGUE OPTION IS BLANK!" interface after which I clicked on one of the options and the game continued without me knowing what exactly I had done.

When you are faced with this problem: quit the game immediately and fall back on the latest save point. Don't click on any of the text! It's too bad Telltale games doesn't have a more elaborate save game system so you can redo scenes in case of bugs but it hasn't influenced my experience too much.
  11. Dec 23, 2014
    By far my favorite adventure game. The story, characters, and setting are all fantastic and immensely interesting. The gameplay isn't as annoying and the QTEs aren't as strangely placed as they are in Walking Dead. However the ending wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped and there are clear quality differences between the episodes, specifically episodes 2 and 4 which are much worse than 1,By far my favorite adventure game. The story, characters, and setting are all fantastic and immensely interesting. The gameplay isn't as annoying and the QTEs aren't as strangely placed as they are in Walking Dead. However the ending wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped and there are clear quality differences between the episodes, specifically episodes 2 and 4 which are much worse than 1, 3, and 5. If they made the gameplay better and raised the quality of the two bad episodes, this game would have been perfect. Looking forward to a sequel. Expand
  12. Feb 22, 2015
    Great mature story and humour, but interactivity and conventional gameplay is quite limited. Its also quite short. It's half-way between an animated TV series and a “game”. As long as you are ok with that, you are in for a real treat.
  13. Jul 8, 2015
    Holy **** this is some AMAZING noir story telling. Ive loved absolutely every chapter of "The Wolf Among Us", being a fan of the Fables comics, telltale games have done so much justice towards the source material, giving us a better, and much more fascinating origin story compared to the first Fables arc. The wolf among us is so rich in characters and dialog, the setting is so bleak andHoly **** this is some AMAZING noir story telling. Ive loved absolutely every chapter of "The Wolf Among Us", being a fan of the Fables comics, telltale games have done so much justice towards the source material, giving us a better, and much more fascinating origin story compared to the first Fables arc. The wolf among us is so rich in characters and dialog, the setting is so bleak and melancholy and just the general idea of having characters from fantasy fictions such as beauty and the beast and snow white come together in a modern setting having to hide and survive in the modern world is just so fascinating and interesting. Id recommend The Wolf Among Us to anybody that is a fan of noir story telling and comic book fans alike, this is my new Favourite Telltale game, loved every moment and cant wait to replay it. Expand
  14. Rem
    Jul 7, 2015
    Playing straight from episodes 1 to 5 left me exhausted after undertaking this episodic adventure game from TellTale once more, and to put it bluntly, oozes more style, substance, and creative material over The Walking Dead series under the same parent company. Inspired by the same comic book series name, The Wolf Among Us thrusts us into the paws of Sheriff Bigby Wolf who must keepPlaying straight from episodes 1 to 5 left me exhausted after undertaking this episodic adventure game from TellTale once more, and to put it bluntly, oozes more style, substance, and creative material over The Walking Dead series under the same parent company. Inspired by the same comic book series name, The Wolf Among Us thrusts us into the paws of Sheriff Bigby Wolf who must keep Fabletown together. Having not read the comics of the same name, this game introduces players wonderfully to the dark, grim, and somewhat satirical nature of old fables struggling to thrive in the modern world. The writing is still top notch, as well as the voice acting and animations that accompany it. What I really enjoyed is the very noir inspired synth soundtrack which really draws much inspiration from 80s crime noir films. The mechanics are much the same with The Walking Dead where you go a about a fixed camera angle inspecting items, making conversation and decision, and when the going gets tough QTEs come into place. Its a well working formula that has succeeded in much of the episodes but along with that came TellTale's biggest flaw: your decisions have little impact whatsoever. It irked me a tad when I read on the top left corner that example character notices something, but fails to see any consequences. Even deciding who lives or dies does not change outcomes or later scenarios, which is a big flaw in a game that promotes player choices. Overall it was a vastly engrossing adventure from start to finish, but I somewhat felt I had little control over the occurring events, entertaining or not. Expand
  15. Jan 24, 2015
    I am such a huge fan of the Walking dead games by telltale that I was afraid this was some weird cash in. I didn't get it until it was hugely on sale and man was I wrong. The story telling is just as strong and the world is even more interesting. After each episode I find myself reading the extras on each character. Something I never do. This game is opposite of most, instead of youI am such a huge fan of the Walking dead games by telltale that I was afraid this was some weird cash in. I didn't get it until it was hugely on sale and man was I wrong. The story telling is just as strong and the world is even more interesting. After each episode I find myself reading the extras on each character. Something I never do. This game is opposite of most, instead of you feeling weak or average and trying to overcome something greater I feel too powerful. The whole game I know there is a ruthless beast within and I try to keep my cool, knowing that I could take on anyone. It brings such a fresh dynamic I haven't seen before. If you like these story driven games you will love this one. Expand
  16. Dec 5, 2014
    Having that, what just some kind of "something" still don't have and by that it is mean, what really nothing dont have so much great, like "movie storytelling", with it's great "schematic graphic style" and best method of interactivity!

And that's "The Wolf Among Us"!..
  17. Jan 24, 2015
    After playing and thoroughly enjoying the critically acclaimed walking dead series by TellTale, I expected big things from their other episodic series the wolf among us. It is safe to say they delivered. Based on the Fables comic book series this original storyline is sure to have anyone who like a good thriller gripped, with twists and turns throughout.
  18. Dec 17, 2014
    Best thing to come out of telltale since The walking dead season 1.. every episode is just as good as the other, all being absolutely astonishing, this or south park tsot deserve goty for 2014. no doubt.
  19. Jan 19, 2015
    A great game, there's a lot of action and the story is amazing, you feel like you're the protagonist of a movie.
    The only thing that killed it for me is that there isn't many finals, and the paths you take, doesn't change the story at all.
  20. Jul 26, 2014
    Finished this game 2 weeks ago.
    Another great game from Telltale games.
    Finished this game 2 weeks ago.
    Another great game from Telltale games.
    First of all, The Wolf Among Us is a prequel to the renowned comic books, Fable. In The Wolf Among Us, you will play as Bigby, The Big Bad Wolf, trying to keep peace inside the Fabletown as it's Sheriff. One day she met a girl named Faith, and on the same day, Faith was killed and her head was left in front of Bigby's apartment. Who's the killer? and Why? Play the game to the conclusion and you'll get your head blown for it.
    Plus point:
    - After The Walking Dead Season 1, Telltale games made their name known for that masterpiece. And after that, they went and released The Wolf Among Us. When i played the first episode, i was blown. The game is visually beautiful, compared to The Walking Dead, it's totally an upgrade. Kinda like 2D Cell Shading kind of Visual, and it's awesome.
    - The story includes characters that are famous and known to us. Like Snow white, Little Red Riding Hood, Humpty & Dumpty, Bloody Mary, & Etc. Although you never read Fable before, the characters are basically from the fairy tale. So, it's not someone that you don't know at all.
    - Although i must say that the story progress is kinda slow, the conclusion to the game is pretty much awesome. That plot twists are gonna make you nod your head.
    - A much more elaborate battle system. It becomes more similar to Heavy Rain, much more actions you can do, and much more objects that you can interact with. I think this system is an update from The Walking Dead.
    Minus point:
    - Unlike The Walking Dead, the choices that you made in the game doesn't really affect your storyline in an extreme way, which is why the options in the game isn't really that important. This game is not about an adventure, it's about solving a case. So if you are looking for a thrill of adventure in this game, don't.
    - I did mentioned it before on the plus point, that the story progress is slow. And yes, those five episodes has totally different level on intensity. Like Episode 3, it feels like a filler to me.
    The verdict:
    The Wolf Among Us is another great game from Telltale games, and i personally love it. But don't expect it to be similar to The Walking Dead, since it's not an adventure game, but kinda more like Sherlock Holmes kind of game. Uncovering the mysteries is the point of this game.
    And the visual level is beyond good, although you will still feel some technical issue like loading time and frame skip. Other than that, the game is good. What i want to say is, don't compare it to The Walking Dead.
  21. Sep 8, 2014
    I absolutely loved this game. I procrastinated playing the final two chapters just because I didn't want it to end.

The art style is visually striking, and the graphics are clean and vivid. The action sequences are well choreographed between the characters, and the voice acting is really solid for almost everyone. As far as game play, it was really up my alley. I love character

As far as game play, it was really up my alley. I love character driven plots, interactions/dialog that have impacts on the gameplay, and combat that doesn't feel too frantic or button-mashy. This really hit a home run for me. Not only were the dialog choices usually impactful and varied, but they seemed true to character and relevent to the surroundings and mood. The combat felt tense without feeling panicked or rushed. I really felt like I got to play the game my way, and almost never felt shoehorned into making a choice I didn't want to make.

Some of the controls when you're looking around and moving around on your own are a little wonky. The camera angle when you're walking Bigby around a room can be awkward, and occasionally you might miss certain items to interact with because of it, but that was really the only technical flaw I found. For the more artistic elements, there were a few characters whose voice acting didn't really hit home for me (looking at you, Beauty and Beast), but most everyone else was spot on.

The highlight of this game though is the story. If you love fairytales or a good piece of fiction, you'll enjoy this game, even without any prior knowledge of the comics. Highly recommend.
  22. Jun 15, 2015
    I LOVE the graphics and the story, very interesting with some plot twists and very impressive characters. Bigby is one of those characters I just felt with and it was very fun and/or frustrating to make some choices. I highly recommend playing the game multiple times to see all the dialogue options. The only thing I didn't like was that some dialogues didn't feel right sometimes and I hadI LOVE the graphics and the story, very interesting with some plot twists and very impressive characters. Bigby is one of those characters I just felt with and it was very fun and/or frustrating to make some choices. I highly recommend playing the game multiple times to see all the dialogue options. The only thing I didn't like was that some dialogues didn't feel right sometimes and I had a glitch in episode 3 I believe, when some money stayed in Bigby's hand till next loading, but still, almost perfect game, gonna play again! Expand
  23. Sep 15, 2014
    Phenomenal Game. The Story, graphics and gameplay are pretty good. My recommendation for all of Telltale Games (Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, Season 2...etc) are to wait till all the episodes are out before you buy the game so you don't get irritated when their proposed timetable isn't met.
  24. Aug 6, 2015
    Wasnt a fanboy after walking dead.
    Telltale fanboy all the way after wolfamongus...
    The game is excellent and i ll be sure to pick up every game (in this direction) this company makes. Lots of love for a game that every friend of mine played fell in love with, no matter rpg, racing, shootemup or any other genre we favor. 10/10
  25. Dec 14, 2014
    The best game of 2014. It's hard to choose between this and the walking dead but if I had to choose I would go for The Wolf Among Us. The choices might not directly affect us as much as in the walking dead, but that's the beauty of TWAU. While TWD deals with life and death, black and white. TWAU makes us dive into and choose between those shades of Grey...which makes it lessThe best game of 2014. It's hard to choose between this and the walking dead but if I had to choose I would go for The Wolf Among Us. The choices might not directly affect us as much as in the walking dead, but that's the beauty of TWAU. While TWD deals with life and death, black and white. TWAU makes us dive into and choose between those shades of Grey...which makes it less straightforward and much harder. Plus it has a whole lotta more active brawls than TWD which is always a bonus Expand
  26. Dec 26, 2014
    The Wolf Among Us deserves so much more mainstream attention than it has received. Seeing as I enjoyed Season One of The Walking Dead, I enjoyed TWAU as well. And I think a lot of other people would enjoy it too. The game is very well made with an interesting plot and familiar fairytale characters. If you have not yet played The Wolf Among Us, I highly recommend you do. I doubt you'llThe Wolf Among Us deserves so much more mainstream attention than it has received. Seeing as I enjoyed Season One of The Walking Dead, I enjoyed TWAU as well. And I think a lot of other people would enjoy it too. The game is very well made with an interesting plot and familiar fairytale characters. If you have not yet played The Wolf Among Us, I highly recommend you do. I doubt you'll regret it. Not a perfect game by any means, but a great one nonetheless. Expand
  27. Jan 25, 2015
    The Wolf Among Us is amazing. So I give it a 9 or 10, probably a 10.

The Wolf Among Us is amazing. So I give it a 9 or 10, probably a 10.

I used to think TWDG was the best TellTale have done but TWAU is just...amazing! I am in love with some of the characters and the game really drags you in from the start. I don't mean to compare TWDG and TWAU but so far TWAU is slightly better than season 1 TWDG even though both are amazing. I could say that both really get you interested from the moment you start playing. I can't say the same for season 2 of TWDG ...that was disappointing but I'll just leave it at that.

I loved playing TWAU and the finale was so awesome plus the little cliffhanger at the end. I can't wait for season 2 and hope it will be as good as season 1. The story line is great, and the choices available are really good - You can either make your character into a very nice person or a very hostile one, I like that. Not to mention the graphics and the whole atmosphere which is really good. I like the music too, and the whole Fable community; it's interesting.

The fighting and action parts are good, TellTale have done a real good job at those. You actually feel like you're playing a game as well as playing out a story line and that's essential to make a game a game instead of a movie.

I love Bigby Wolf just as much as I loved playing as Lee Everett, they're awesome protagonists. Voice acting is great and while you're playing you feel as if you're in the place of the playable character which is awesome. Furthermore, the themes are great, as are the antagonists who have well-written roles just as most, if not all, other characters. I am particularly a fan of Bloody Mary as an antagonist (though I disliked her personality as mostly anyone would, I have to say her character was very well-developed) although all of them are good.

The only bug I ever received on this game was a minor one, which was fixed just by starting that checkpoint of the game again. It never bothered really bothered me though.

I have to admit, I am looking forward to season 2 of TWAU more than I am looking forward to season 3 of TWDG, most probably because of how amazing TWAU was and how disappointing season 2 of TWDG was, despite season 1 of TWDG being superb.

I would recommend this game to anybody who enjoys episodic games with player decisions, this game is definitely not for everyone. I know some people have found this game bad but it is NOT (in many people's opinion). Some decisions may not affect the story line, true, but that is only to build up the whole story until the finale so it doesn't have to make a game bad. You're mostly in control of the player in TWAU. Plot twists are great and this game really gets you thinking - I think that, aside from many other parts, the two parts that really got me thinking and trying to guess was the ending of episode 1 and the ending of episode 5.
  28. Dec 27, 2014
    Great story and thrilling fight scenes. Plot twists around every corner. A little short in my opinion but there is already future confirmation of a season 2.
  29. Jan 1, 2015
    The Wolf Among Us is an excellent game with a fantastic storyline that keeps you guessing. The choices are hard (that is a good thing) and the art is nice, it is absolutely worth the money.
  30. Jul 27, 2015
    qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
  31. May 1, 2015
    One of the best games I have ever played hands down. They need to make a sequel to this game.

Amazing story line, your actions can change the out come of what happens in the story, and you really feel attached to the characters. The only thing is that the chapters were progressively shorter as the game progressed. This wasn't an issue with the tie in within the game. Look forward

Look forward to a sequel.
  32. Jun 14, 2015
    Just a great Telltale game. I love the mystery elements and humor AND horror of the game. The dark fairy tale aspect is so realistic and so interesting the way it was added to the game, so it just deserves that 10/10.
  33. Jun 26, 2015
    - Good: Story, Atmosphere/Mood, Setting

- Mixed: Writing

- Bad: Gameplay, Choices doesnt matter

Good movie, mediocre game. Lacking in gameplay department even compared to The Walking Dead. I recommend to those who enjoyed TWD.

1. Oct 22, 2014
    The last episode is a bit disappointing, but that doesn’t change the fact that The Wolf Among Us is a very solid adventure game, head and shoulders above most of other representatives of the genre published in recent years. [Sept 2014, p.62]
  2. Oct 16, 2014
    A grim, tight, wonderful story of prostitution, loan-sharking and power plays. [Issue#254, p.59]
  3. Sep 21, 2014
    An at times confronting, well spun mystery and fascinating setting. [Oct 2014, p.63]