9.2

1. Jul 12, 2014
    First about the technical and art aspects - they are top notch. Graphics, art direction, dialog, voice overs - all of those are at a very high level. It definitely will give a lot of animated series and movies a run for their money.

Now the game play has been disappointing for some as it is unlike Monkey Island or any classic adventure game for that matter. While you do have an
    inventory and sometimes get to use items from it there really are no puzzles to solve. The game just moves along regardless if you do things or not. I think to get full enjoyment out of it you should view this game more as one of those "choose your own adventure books" but with a great story, great characters and some though choices rather than as an adventure game. If you do that you will have a blast, if you are looking for clever puzzles then I am afraid this might not be the game for you.

The choices are pretty hard regardless whether they really matter and so on in the end. What matters is that you know what choices you made and some of them were some of the hardest choices I have ever had to make outside of real life.

The characters are very interesting and the game is quite mature, and not in a boobs everywhere type of way. There is poverty, forced prostitution, loan sharks, and even the bad guys are more of anti-heroes than just one dimensional evil characters.

The whole settings, based on the Fable comics which are quite great, is awesome. But I am a sucker for fairy tales and seeing this downtrodden community of characters you grew up with facing every day life far from their home is downright heartbreaking.

And this is what this game ultimately gave me, it gave me a good 8 hours of an emotional roller coaster filled with hard choices. I was angry, I was sad, I was happy, and I was sorry... the walking dead made me cry, but this made me feel.

Overall, highly recommended!
  2. Jul 9, 2014
    Overall a highly enjoyable and engaging experience. However many decisions are starting to not feel important in the overall outcome.
    The first few episodes build the characters well however it feels like it starts to drop off, especially for me the last episode being quite poor, and only trying to make up for it in the last minutes with a twist.
    Still well worth a look for fans of this
    style and the Fables story. Expand
  3. Jan 10, 2014
    At a first glance it seems to be a pretty well put together game. Multiple choices and consequences give the game a genuine feeling of making an impact on the game. However I am only speaking of Episode 1. The first episode came with such high hopes and promises for the series and left us the fans wanting more. Three months has gone by and not a word on Episode 2 or so much as an ETA from Telltale Games. The only thing that TTG has said was that there would be an ETA on episode 2 after the holidays. They have not so much as posted anywhere online in over a month and that has left a lot of fans with souring regret in their mouths. I understand delays and wanting to put out a polished game to the fans but when the game is sold as episodes and is meant to be released every couple of months, it would be beneficial for the dev to keep in contact with the fans. Game developers need to understand that the fans make the game a success or a failure. No word from them means they could care less about the game and is making the rest of us would be fans falling into the same mindset. They have our money and that seems to be what TTG cares about the most. Expand
  4. Jul 26, 2014
    Finished this game 2 weeks ago.
    Another great game from Telltale games.
    First of all, The Wolf Among Us is a prequel to the renowned comic books, Fable. In The Wolf Among Us, you will play as Bigby, The Big Bad Wolf, trying to keep peace inside the Fabletown as it's Sheriff. One day she met a girl named Faith, and on the same day, Faith was killed and her head was left in front of
    Bigby's apartment. Who's the killer? and Why? Play the game to the conclusion and you'll get your head blown for it.
    Plus point:
    - After The Walking Dead Season 1, Telltale games made their name known for that masterpiece. And after that, they went and released The Wolf Among Us. When i played the first episode, i was blown. The game is visually beautiful, compared to The Walking Dead, it's totally an upgrade. Kinda like 2D Cell Shading kind of Visual, and it's awesome.
    - The story includes characters that are famous and known to us. Like Snow white, Little Red Riding Hood, Humpty & Dumpty, Bloody Mary, & Etc. Although you never read Fable before, the characters are basically from the fairy tale. So, it's not someone that you don't know at all.
    - Although i must say that the story progress is kinda slow, the conclusion to the game is pretty much awesome. That plot twists are gonna make you nod your head.
    - A much more elaborate battle system. It becomes more similar to Heavy Rain, much more actions you can do, and much more objects that you can interact with. I think this system is an update from The Walking Dead.
    Minus point:
    - Unlike The Walking Dead, the choices that you made in the game doesn't really affect your storyline in an extreme way, which is why the options in the game isn't really that important. This game is not about an adventure, it's about solving a case. So if you are looking for a thrill of adventure in this game, don't.
    - I did mentioned it before on the plus point, that the story progress is slow. And yes, those five episodes has totally different level on intensity. Like Episode 3, it feels like a filler to me.
    The verdict:
    The Wolf Among Us is another great game from Telltale games, and i personally love it. But don't expect it to be similar to The Walking Dead, since it's not an adventure game, but kinda more like Sherlock Holmes kind of game. Uncovering the mysteries is the point of this game.
    And the visual level is beyond good, although you will still feel some technical issue like loading time and frame skip. Other than that, the game is good. What i want to say is, don't compare it to The Walking Dead.
  5. Aug 2, 2014
    A fantastic game. Finished it in two days. It's got a great story and very relatable characters. If you're a sucker for adventure games, you probably like great stories. And if you like great stories, you'll absolutely love this game. Stellar storytelling.
    The Walking Dead is a masterpiece and so is this one. I have absolute confidence in Telltale Games. They can do no wrong.
  6. Aug 15, 2014
    The Wolf Among Us starts off brilliantly with the first episode showcasing some of the best writing in all the video games I've played. The noirish setting with its unique art style had me hooked, and most of the characters that are introduced have a lot of depth and personality. Voice acting is great and the soundtrack feels appropriate for every scene, aiding whatever emotional impact the game attempts to induce. Overall, the first episode gave me a very positive impression of the game and the cliffhanger ending had me wanting more.

Subsequent episodes are still quite decent, however I felt they weren't of the same calibre as the first episode which I consider to be the most well constructed of all five. Difficult choices are present throughout the series, however the game does occasionally feel as if there's very little progression and some glaring plot holes also start to emerge. I think most people will agree that the fourth episode was relatively weak, as not only was it the shortest, but the secondary characters that were introduced felt poorly developed and the build up to the finale was underwhelming. The final episode had some pretty epic action scenes, but the Crooked Man doesn't feel like much of a threatening antagonist, thus the trial scene wasn't as tense or climactic as I expected. I was also hoping for a better resolution between Bigby and Snow, though the final interaction with Nerissa is very eye-opening and concludes the series on an overall positive note.

Lastly, throughout the whole game, you'll also probably encounter occasional stuttering. Some of the animations may also seem a bit jerky, particularly in action scenes, but none of this isn't very significant. Finishing the game, I couldn't help feeling slightly disappointed that the rest of the game didn't quite hold up to the very high standards of the first episode. However, the game is still very engaging and well worth the price. Anyone who has played previous games from Telltale, or anyone interested in what is a very mature and memorable setting should consider playing The Wolf Among Us.

Individual episode ratings:
    Episode 1, 'Faith' - 8.8
    Episode 2, 'Smoke and Mirrors' - 8.2
    Episode 3, 'A Crooked Mile' - 8.4
    Episode 4, 'In Sheep's Clothing' - 7.3
    Episode 5, 'Cry Wolf' - 8.0
    Overall rating - 8.1

1. Aug 21, 2014
    The Wolf Among Us tells an engaging tale, filled with great characters, colorful graphics and clever choices. If only the choices held more meaning.
  2. Aug 19, 2014
    The Wolf Among Us is yet another good game from Telltale Games. One major flaw is dismissing some characters - that's the reason the first season of The Walking Dead is and will be a better offering. Everything else - from the atmosphere to the storyline - is really good. Apparently Lee and Clementine's adventure wasn't a one-time high quality offer. I can recommend this game with a clear conscience.
  3. Aug 13, 2014
    Overall, I was a little disappointed that Telltale Games couldn’t come up with more puzzles for The Wolf Among Us, but otherwise everything about the game is first-rate.