8.9

1. Aug 26, 2014
    This is such an underrated game! It is one of the best interactive story games I've ever played. The graphics are beautiful and along with the music and atmosphere make for a superb environment (very much like an animated comic). Voice acting is flawless and superb. The story is addicting, with cliff hangers at the end of each episode and a lot of plot twists.

The dialogue choices often

The dialogue choices often don't make much of a difference but many of them do, along with some other major choices. The fighting can be pretty fun and is definitely a joy to watch.

Overall, a pleasurable 9 hour experience, the whole way through. The ending was wrapped up nicely (no major plot holes) with a *slight* cliffhanger at the end, JUST enough to get you excited for Season 2.
  2. Jul 12, 2014
    First about the technical and art aspects - they are top notch. Graphics, art direction, dialog, voice overs - all of those are at a very high level. It definitely will give a lot of animated series and movies a run for their money.

Now the game play has been disappointing for some as it is unlike Monkey Island or any classic adventure game for that matter. While you do have an inventory and sometimes get to use items from it there really are no puzzles to solve. The game just moves along regardless if you do things or not. I think to get full enjoyment out of it you should view this game more as one of those "choose your own adventure books" but with a great story, great characters and some though choices rather than as an adventure game. If you do that you will have a blast, if you are looking for clever puzzles then I am afraid this might not be the game for you.

The choices are pretty hard regardless whether they really matter and so on in the end. What matters is that you know what choices you made and some of them were some of the hardest choices I have ever had to make outside of real life.

The characters are very interesting and the game is quite mature, and not in a boobs everywhere type of way. There is poverty, forced prostitution, loan sharks, and even the bad guys are more of anti-heroes than just one dimensional evil characters.

The whole settings, based on the Fable comics which are quite great, is awesome. But I am a sucker for fairy tales and seeing this downtrodden community of characters you grew up with facing every day life far from their home is downright heartbreaking.

And this is what this game ultimately gave me, it gave me a good 8 hours of an emotional roller coaster filled with hard choices. I was angry, I was sad, I was happy, and I was sorry... the walking dead made me cry, but this made me feel.

Overall, highly recommended!
  3. Dec 17, 2014
    Best thing to come out of telltale since The walking dead season 1.. every episode is just as good as the other, all being absolutely astonishing, this or south park tsot deserve goty for 2014. no doubt.
  4. Aug 2, 2014
    A fantastic game. Finished it in two days. It's got a great story and very relatable characters. If you're a sucker for adventure games, you probably like great stories. And if you like great stories, you'll absolutely love this game. Stellar storytelling.
    The Walking Dead is a masterpiece and so is this one. I have absolute confidence in Telltale Games. They can do no wrong.
  5. Sep 15, 2014
    Phenomenal Game. The Story, graphics and gameplay are pretty good. My recommendation for all of Telltale Games (Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, Season 2...etc) are to wait till all the episodes are out before you buy the game so you don't get irritated when their proposed timetable isn't met.
  6. Dec 14, 2014
    The best game of 2014. It's hard to choose between this and the walking dead but if I had to choose I would go for The Wolf Among Us. The choices might not directly affect us as much as in the walking dead, but that's the beauty of TWAU. While TWD deals with life and death, black and white. TWAU makes us dive into and choose between those shades of Grey...which makes it lessThe best game of 2014. It's hard to choose between this and the walking dead but if I had to choose I would go for The Wolf Among Us. The choices might not directly affect us as much as in the walking dead, but that's the beauty of TWAU. While TWD deals with life and death, black and white. TWAU makes us dive into and choose between those shades of Grey...which makes it less straightforward and much harder. Plus it has a whole lotta more active brawls than TWD which is always a bonus Expand
  7. Nov 19, 2014
    I don't like adventure games, but gave this one a try because of the good reviews, and I'm glad I did. Excellent art and writing, great voice acting, and a fair amount of branching choices to help you define your character and create the story.

I still don't like adventure games, but I'll continue to make exceptions for anything from this studio, as long as they maintain this level of quality.
  8. Sep 8, 2014
    I absolutely loved this game. I procrastinated playing the final two chapters just because I didn't want it to end.

The art style is visually striking, and the graphics are clean and vivid. The action sequences are well choreographed between the characters, and the voice acting is really solid for almost everyone. As far as game play, it was really up my alley. I love character

As far as game play, it was really up my alley. I love character driven plots, interactions/dialog that have impacts on the gameplay, and combat that doesn't feel too frantic or button-mashy. This really hit a home run for me. Not only were the dialog choices usually impactful and varied, but they seemed true to character and relevent to the surroundings and mood. The combat felt tense without feeling panicked or rushed. I really felt like I got to play the game my way, and almost never felt shoehorned into making a choice I didn't want to make.

Some of the controls when you're looking around and moving around on your own are a little wonky. The camera angle when you're walking Bigby around a room can be awkward, and occasionally you might miss certain items to interact with because of it, but that was really the only technical flaw I found. For the more artistic elements, there were a few characters whose voice acting didn't really hit home for me (looking at you, Beauty and Beast), but most everyone else was spot on.

The highlight of this game though is the story. If you love fairytales or a good piece of fiction, you'll enjoy this game, even without any prior knowledge of the comics. Highly recommend.
  9. TvH
    Nov 12, 2014
    The Wolf Among Us is a stylistic and sharply written game that never fails to engage, with endless twists and turns, and many consequences that really puts the player into Bigby Wolf's shoes.

1. Oct 22, 2014
    The last episode is a bit disappointing, but that doesn’t change the fact that The Wolf Among Us is a very solid adventure game, head and shoulders above most of other representatives of the genre published in recent years. [Sept 2014, p.62]
  2. Oct 16, 2014
    A grim, tight, wonderful story of prostitution, loan-sharking and power plays. [Issue#254, p.59]
  3. Sep 21, 2014
    An at times confronting, well spun mystery and fascinating setting. [Oct 2014, p.63]