Thief II: The Metal Age PC

9.1

1. RickK.
    Mar 5, 2003
    A tremendous sequel to an overlooked gem.
  2. Sep 8, 2011
    if you've never played the thief series then you've missed out big time! without doubt or hesitation my absolute personal #1 game franchise; if you've never played the series: you play as Garrett, a master thief, always on the lookout for loot and missions; G is hardly any good at fighting, but that's exactly the point - you need to sneak and pay careful attention to your surroundings toif you've never played the thief series then you've missed out big time! without doubt or hesitation my absolute personal #1 game franchise; if you've never played the series: you play as Garrett, a master thief, always on the lookout for loot and missions; G is hardly any good at fighting, but that's exactly the point - you need to sneak and pay careful attention to your surroundings to avoid detection; at your disposal you have various tools and non-lethal weapons to ease your quest by for example creating mossy carpets to drown out noise from footsteps or water arrows to extinguish torches;
    if I could, I would give this a 9.5 - it's not the perfect 10 that its predecessor was for me, but also definitely not as "bad" as a 9.0;

THE GOOD:
    * the graphics engine was greatly improved compared to Thief1 (of course, no comparison to modern games)
    * mission maps are typically bigger than in Thief1 and missions longer
    * compared to today's often generic background story, this one is immersive! while the fanatical (at least so you thought) hammerites were the focus of the first thief's story line, now it is karras and his mechanist followers
    * your arsenal has grown slightly, allowing for more varied gameplay, but also some (IMHO) cheating (slowfall potions anyone?)
    * typically more enemies, now even mechanized - greatly helps immersion by making the Thief universe even more bizarre; but also meant that zombies are gone (that's a CON in my book)
    * and most of the previous awesome aspects have been retained if not improved (at least the german version that i own contains some hilarious exclamations made by some of the guards when they chase you);
    * oh, and thank god, a character that can and does actually speak! (stephen russell is kind of a thief celebrity)
    * IMMERSION - you really become sucked into the Thief world because you constantly have to pay close attention to your surroundings and actions; visual cues, sounds, and lighting all are important sensory inputs in this game and thus to enjoy this game you automatically become immersed in it; just make sure that you play in a dark room with surround sound setup - and make sure no heavy or expensive objects are around - hysterical arm flailing is included in this game!

THE BAD:
    * in general - nothing much; if you're looking for psychopatic mass murdering, you're at the wrong address; * the -0.5 i dock off for several reasons: first off, no zombies! perhaps the most awesome enemies in the first thief - scary, loud, slow, and it's possible to blow them up! what's not to like (unless you have weak nerves); the story - just not as immersive and fresh as constantine's plot in Thief1 - that one had mystery, betrayal, and revenge in it; this one only a constant fanaticist (karras) and not much more; finally, my biggest complaint - not all the playing styles that were possible in Thief1 are possible in Thief2 - even the second mission is impossible to 'ghost' (getting all loot and items without detection or even arousing suspicion); later missions just compound on that

other thoughts:
    also used to (and to a limited extent still does) have a very proliferative fan community - check out 'thief - the circle' (no longer updated but still accessible) and if at all possible get komag's DVD sets (i think he offers a torrent somewhere) - tons of those missions are just incredibly well done, some perhaps even surpassing the original missions (calendra's legacy, T2X, 7th crystal & many more) in immersion, while others give it an entirely new spin (hammerite deathmatch, some of the unreal tournament style missions)

IMHO, the Thief franchise created a wholly new type of gaming style and as such revolutionized pc gaming; much more so than other hallmark games such as crysis or half life ever did (for me at least); how good is it? i've played through Thief1&2 countless times with different styles in mind and the very first games that always get installed on any new computer of mine are the thief and system shock games!
  3. samtam90
    Apr 19, 2007
    More of the same, but this time is not necessairly a bad thing.
  4. Mar 28, 2011
    One of the few cases, where the sequel of a game or movie is even better than the original. The originality of the setting, the characters and the story are accompanied by some of the best levels ever seen in computer game history. Places like Angelwatch stand way above any other experience any game in the last eleven years since "The Metal Age" has provided for players. Almost a decadeOne of the few cases, where the sequel of a game or movie is even better than the original. The originality of the setting, the characters and the story are accompanied by some of the best levels ever seen in computer game history. Places like Angelwatch stand way above any other experience any game in the last eleven years since "The Metal Age" has provided for players. Almost a decade after this release no other game (maybe except Deus Ex 1) even came close to the value of Thief 2. For me this is a masterpiece according to which all games should be made.
    It is sad Thief 3 failed and Thief 4 probably will fail to recreate the undeniable greatness of Thief 1 and 2. The time such games were made is regrettably a long gone one.
  5. Feb 21, 2011
    An amazing sequel to the original Thief: The Dark Project. Thief II: The Metal Age takes everything that made The Dark Project great and expands upon it. Even bigger levels, more items and more ways of traversing the environment to get the loot you desire. The game also has a great story.
  6. Nov 14, 2012
    This game wa a solid improvement on its legendary and revolutionary predecessor! Thief has a unique and gripping atmosphere (This time with less horror elements, focusing on Karras and 'His' machine servants). It has one of the most memorable and charismatic main protagonist in gaming history: Garrett, voiced by the legendary voice actor Stephen Russell. The stealth system work as a charm!This game wa a solid improvement on its legendary and revolutionary predecessor! Thief has a unique and gripping atmosphere (This time with less horror elements, focusing on Karras and 'His' machine servants). It has one of the most memorable and charismatic main protagonist in gaming history: Garrett, voiced by the legendary voice actor Stephen Russell. The stealth system work as a charm! The graphics are very good (the game was built with the Dark Engine). The maps seem to be bigger than in Thief:TDP. I can only recommend this game! If you like stealth games it is a must play!!! Expand
  7. Mar 16, 2016
    rewarawrredsffdsfdsfgds gfds gdfsg dsfg dsfg sdfgfds gfdsgfd sgfds gfdsgfds gfdsgfdsgfdgdsgdsfgdsgsdfgfdsfsdggfdsfgdsgfdgfdsgfdgfsdgsfdgfdssgfdsfdgfdsggsfdgfdfgdsfdsfgdgfdfgdsgfd
  8. Dec 27, 2014
    Was expecting a game similar to the first Thief, Ended up being one of the worst gaming experiences ever. It's more of a linear stealth puzzle game designed to make you waste as much time as possible. Cheesy gameplay, awful opponents, and non-period correct architecture/technology made it a really dull experience. The first few missions are fine, but once the "main antagonists" come in toWas expecting a game similar to the first Thief, Ended up being one of the worst gaming experiences ever. It's more of a linear stealth puzzle game designed to make you waste as much time as possible. Cheesy gameplay, awful opponents, and non-period correct architecture/technology made it a really dull experience. The first few missions are fine, but once the "main antagonists" come in to play the game gets "Nintendo hard" and really wasn't fun. I see why this franchise failed. Expand
  9. Enthasius
    Jun 11, 2003
    Despite the age of the game, I still recall how awesome it was to look at so many years ago...anyway, onwards with my review; The graphics are in use with an old graphics engine, but they still provide finely detailed regions and town locales, as well as decent character models and scenery. Likewise, sound is also well executed, with clomping footsteps on marble tiles to the light thud of Despite the age of the game, I still recall how awesome it was to look at so many years ago...anyway, onwards with my review; The graphics are in use with an old graphics engine, but they still provide finely detailed regions and town locales, as well as decent character models and scenery. Likewise, sound is also well executed, with clomping footsteps on marble tiles to the light thud of landing heavily on a plush carpet. the metal beasts are also very believably done with their crackling "Wax cylinder" voice recording speech. With this game based on stealth, you must play the game with utmost care unless you wish to get slain by a couple of guards because you decided to run in a bathroom while the door is open, the loud clacking will attract plenty of trouble. Your tools are varied and all have their uses, some obviously greater than others, but you tend to find yourself start saying "Damn, I could really do with a 'X' right now!" I have managed to play through it three times without getting bored, as there are so many routes that it's surprising how taking out one simple guard that you normally had trouble with on a different room can be made simpler with such aminor alteration of which corridor to take. The enemies range from your average human guard and screaming civilians, to mechanical tank guards and ape-men with blowguns. Overall, I suggest anyone with patience and an adventurous disposition pick this game up and try it for yourself....just be wary that you will need to take steps to make it compatible with some XP machines, but a quick visit to www.ttlg.com has all the info and patching references you'll need...pure gold of a game. Expand
  10. MarkSvoboda
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thief 2 (along with its predecessor) will shine on as timeless gems in the PC goldmine that is the turn of the millenium - apart from its chilling sound base, Thief 2 carves its own niche in the art of level design. This is one of the only 1st person games with a truly realistic environment - entire wings of a building may contain no leads, no loot, no nothing. Or it might just hold aThief 2 (along with its predecessor) will shine on as timeless gems in the PC goldmine that is the turn of the millenium - apart from its chilling sound base, Thief 2 carves its own niche in the art of level design. This is one of the only 1st person games with a truly realistic environment - entire wings of a building may contain no leads, no loot, no nothing. Or it might just hold a secret. As a gamer, you are left guessing, until you take the time to explore it. Forget polygon counts, forget sloped terrain - Thief 2's calibur of level design, in and of itself, makes it a winner. Expand
  11. Feb 21, 2012
    A huge step up in atmosphere and depth over the original. This game is gold plated. And remains the pinnacle of the series. And yes, these games have not aged that well - however compared to other games released in 1998, what is on show visually is still impressive once you put aside the blocky models.
  12. Nov 6, 2012
    Thief 2 is a strong candidate for being one of my favourite games of all time, and I don't say that lightly. The follow up to the flawed gem that was Thief The Dark Project may seem familiar to those who played the first one; the interface is more or less the same, as are the slightly ugly graphics and overall gameplay. Taking away the irritating mandatory combat in TTDP, Thief 2'sThief 2 is a strong candidate for being one of my favourite games of all time, and I don't say that lightly. The follow up to the flawed gem that was Thief The Dark Project may seem familiar to those who played the first one; the interface is more or less the same, as are the slightly ugly graphics and overall gameplay. Taking away the irritating mandatory combat in TTDP, Thief 2's strengths such as the sprawling non-linear levels, engaging stealth, brilliant writing and characterisation shine all the brighter. The characters all feel unique; even the guards have an endearing daftness to them as they flamboyantly make conversation while you watch from the shadows (keep a look out for Benny, especially). In fact, I'm hard pressed to say anything bad about it except nitpicks; the gameplay doesn't add much from TDP, the graphics are a bit ugly (even for 2000) and it's not quite as tense or original as the first game. But any criticism I have for the game is quickly overshadowed by the sheer brilliant of it. This is a darn good game, and I urge you to buy it. Expand
  13. Nov 22, 2012
    This game was somewhat of a disappointment to me after the great first installment of the series. It has an interesting and fascinating scenario and the story is well written. The problem is, that the introduction of the metal elements make this a somewhat sloppy steam-punk experience. The real issue for me was the second half of the game when it became really tedious to continue with theThis game was somewhat of a disappointment to me after the great first installment of the series. It has an interesting and fascinating scenario and the story is well written. The problem is, that the introduction of the metal elements make this a somewhat sloppy steam-punk experience. The real issue for me was the second half of the game when it became really tedious to continue with the thief-style game-play in a high-tech environment. Other than that, the game is worth playing but I still consider it beneath the other parts of the series. Expand
  14. Nov 2, 2013
    Absolute perfection. Immersive stealth gaming, brilliantly structured story, gorgeous animations and cinematics... there is little to complain about in a classic like this.
  15. Nov 30, 2013
    My favorite game of all time. This is the second installment in the incredible Thief series. Dark and sinister. This time there are walking mechanical machines. This game has so many twists. This is a masterpiece.
  16. Mar 11, 2014
    Sometimes, a game comes along... And blows you away! I for one am new to the series, having bought the trilogy online during 2012, I was simply expecting an average stealth series, but to my surprise, they are amazing. Thief 2, set in the same City as the first one, follows the events of Garret, the master Thief. He is sarcastic and an utterly likable character who is just scraping by in aSometimes, a game comes along... And blows you away! I for one am new to the series, having bought the trilogy online during 2012, I was simply expecting an average stealth series, but to my surprise, they are amazing. Thief 2, set in the same City as the first one, follows the events of Garret, the master Thief. He is sarcastic and an utterly likable character who is just scraping by in a dark, brooding, steampunk world. The plot is very deep, as goes the other two... It questions the morality of industry, individualism and religious beliefs, and evolves a massive conspiracy involving a head of a religious sect and a corrupt general of a massive police force.

Everything about this game is impressive, ranging from an excellent soundtrack done by Eric Brosius, non-linear and exploration based level design, a well written and menacing plot/setting... And not to mention the crazy Mechanists, a fascinating offshoot of the already insane Hammerite religion.

Positves:

Excellent ambiance and soundtrack.
    Deep story telling and stylish cut scenes.
    A much higher focus on actual stealing.
    Massive, open ended level design.
    Compelling plot and fascinating settings.
    Huge amount of detail.

Negatives:
    A couple of levels that are too confusing to navigate.
    Some shoddy voice acting.
    Lighting a bit shoddy at times.

Overall: 9
  17. Aug 13, 2014
    A great game in it's own right, Thief II unfortunately was a step back for the series. Sacrificing some of the mission variety present in The Dark Project rather than taking the time to improve it, what we're left with is a section of the original that's been polished to a fine sheen. The infiltration and sneaking aspects are at their finest, but at the same time while it's got a highA great game in it's own right, Thief II unfortunately was a step back for the series. Sacrificing some of the mission variety present in The Dark Project rather than taking the time to improve it, what we're left with is a section of the original that's been polished to a fine sheen. The infiltration and sneaking aspects are at their finest, but at the same time while it's got a high gloss it's missing some of the charm of its predecessor. It feels like a part rather than a whole, like someone picking the chocolate chips out of a cookie. The narrative is choppy and incoherent and seems to just facilitate Garrett going to cool locations for levels rather than an over arching plot, and the aesthetics general feel cold and clean, missing some of the dank grime present in TDP.

A great game, and certainly one I recommend, but ultimately a bit of a let down in the grand scheme of things.

1. Smashing sequel improves on the original. Utterly unique and addictive series.
  2. It has provided me with in excess of 60 hours of pure addictive gameplay, and has earned a permanent spot on my shelf, sharing space with the likes of "Kings Quest 1" and "Doom."
  3. More focused and polished than the original, it's a game to get for any fan of the FPS genre looking for something a bit different.