5.8

1. Feb 28, 2014
    Feels more like garbage man than thief, rummaging through drawers stealing ink bottles.
    No cool factions, no hammerites, no pagans, burricks and lobstermen replaced with dogs and birds. It's not cool with kids if modern game doesn't have doge.
    Freeform climbing and rope arrow usage replaced by scripted dev-approved location movement only. Combat blows, press X to not take damage from guards slow telegraph attack, no sword. Bopping guard on head from behind with blackjack replaced with scripted takedowns, doing it yourself too hard for consoles.
    Technically weak, linear small levels, loading every 2 minutes. Level design very meh. Mandatory 4-5 per level advancing forward in cutscene, cutting off previous part of level, because having level accessible fully and non-linear would be too hard for consoles.
    Prologue cutscene - zomg, you killed him, how could you, thieves don't do that!!!one. Chapter 1 - bonus objective, score 4 headshots on guards for extra money, because nothing spells thief quite like bow headshots. If you shoot guard from far enough, arrow flying will play out in slo-mo so cool kids can put 360 noscope thief videos with wubwub music on youtube.
    All in all, disappointment on the same level as Deus Ex HR, but I guess Squeenix ran out of money to pay off journalists this time, dxhr PC metacritic: 90, IGN: 90. Thief PC metacritic: 69, IGN: 68.
    Uninstalled after chapter 2, searching drawers in small dark rooms repeatedly is more boring than my real life work that I get paid for, no thanks.
  2. Feb 25, 2014
    The smaller scale of the levels is not my main problem with the game, Deadly Shadows also had smaller levels compared to the previous games, but they oozed personality and atmosphere, from the pitch black forge with the immortal golems to the zombie ship at the harbor to Shalebridge Cradle. This, however, does not. There are not many locations in Thief that are memorable, it all feelsThe smaller scale of the levels is not my main problem with the game, Deadly Shadows also had smaller levels compared to the previous games, but they oozed personality and atmosphere, from the pitch black forge with the immortal golems to the zombie ship at the harbor to Shalebridge Cradle. This, however, does not. There are not many locations in Thief that are memorable, it all feels pretty generic. They also seem to have largely ignored the heavy Steampunk art design of the previous games, which makes things worse. The story is also uninteresting. As for the graphics, they are a mixed bag. The lighting and fog are great, while texture quality is rather poor. The game also looks like it lacks the high contrast black of the previous games, it looks washed out and grey as if the developers were afraid of the shadows, ironically enough. "Batman vision" also looks out of place in a Thief game. Good things? The PC version runs well and the difficulty is highly customizable, if you turn everything apart from the vision indicator off you can have an experience close to the older Thief games, although unfortunately a more boring one. Overall, I don't think this is worth full price, but perhaps it's worth playing through when it goes 50% off. At around 8 hours to completion, it is also about half as long as one would expect from such a game. Even Last of Us took about 15 hours to finish, this game is definitely way too short. What a shame. Expand
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    I am going to say right off the bad that this review is entirely based on Thief being viewed as a standalone game. That being said, it still is very lackluster and can hardly overcome its weaknesses to be a good game. In short, it is an average game, it isn't terrible like Ride to Hell but it hard to recommend unless you are desperate to play a stealth game and have already played Mark ofI am going to say right off the bad that this review is entirely based on Thief being viewed as a standalone game. That being said, it still is very lackluster and can hardly overcome its weaknesses to be a good game. In short, it is an average game, it isn't terrible like Ride to Hell but it hard to recommend unless you are desperate to play a stealth game and have already played Mark of the Ninja, The original Thief trilogy, The Deus Ex series with stealth runs and Dishonored.

Level design:
    Levels, excluding the hub/city, are highly linear and the optimal route of the player is apparent. The best analogy for these linear sections is to equate them to hallways with cubbyholes on the sides with loot. Sure, you can go into the cubbyholes but they rarely help the player progression because many of them are dead ends and the player has to go back onto the path made by the developers. The question one should ask when playing Thief 4 is, "how did the devs want me to play this level." Not, "how should I beat this level."

Player movement:
    The player cannot jump unless promoted too by the game, further limiting their actions to traverse a level and avoid traps that are in the game. As much as the developers want to believe, jumping is not a "contextual action". However, you can "swoop", an ability that is simply a dash that makes you hard to detect in lighted areas and can be chained in succession. Does it make up for the lack of an ability to jump without being prompted?

Audio:
    After playing the game for a few hours, it will become apparent that the dialog and audio in the game repeats allot. The dialog itself in the game and cut scenes are uninspired. The audio transitions of being undetected and being engaged are poorly executed. Finally, the sound track for this game is hardly memorable, a shame from a triple A game.

Graphics:
    This is one of the few strong points of the game, it isn't ugly, and in fact it is atmospheric. The textures are decent and the particle effects bring this world to life. There is a good contrast between the light and dark areas of the game but the washed out grey shadows makes you feel like the enemies should see you because you are not immersed in total darkness.

AI:
    The AI is highly unaware of the world around it unless you put out light sources or throw a bottle to draw its attention. It can still detect you if you are not careful but it is easy to outsmart the AI.

Combat:
    I do realize that this is a stealth game but it is poorly done when you are forced to do it. You can only attack with your blackjack, you cannot parry, but you can dodge. This close combat is highly repetitive especially in later levels where it takes 10-15 hits to kill an enemy. Finally, Garrett only has one audio file that plays whenever you attack which is, "EH", which is very annoying when repeated. It is quite clear that combat was not a focus of the game but it is neither enjoyable nor satisfying when you are forced to fight.

Story (no spoiler mode):
    There isn't very special here, it is boring and does not help the player engage with the context of this world.

In conclusion, Thief 4 on its own isn’t terrible but it isn’t a good game either. It falls flat of the triple A standard and can hardly match other giants in the stealth genre.
  4. Feb 26, 2014
    Score: 5
    This game is mediocre.
    Example: The game is like a quickly thrown together movie title game, they are basic, nothing really new or exciting, simply the same game we have all played before, but now with different colors. Conclusion: Save your money for when it drops to $10 or $15, because that is about all its worth. More and more of these big time companies are just
    Score: 5
    This game is mediocre.

Example:

Conclusion:
    Save your money for when it drops to $10 or $15, because that is about all its worth. More and more of these big time companies are just trying to make a dime, instead they should try to make a game, then they would make more money. I have come to a point, that I will now wait for scores as to whether or not to buy a game, instead of buying a game and watching my hard earned cash go to waste, oh well, live and learn.
  5. Feb 25, 2014
    After watching all of the trailers, reading the developer interviews, learning about the features they wanted to implement, seeing the community managers interact with the community, I had one thought; "This is going to be a **** sandwich," and Eidos Montreal, you did not disappoint!

This abortion is brought to us by the same studio who made Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but sadly they used the D squad and it shows. The contextual movement, which is "totally not even a big deal" according to every community manager, is horrible. It could have potentially worked, if EM was really that good at level design, but they aren't. Instead, they've effectively made a series of long corridors that that you may take one of two paths to finish, but you end up at the exact same place anyway. If that seems like a daunting number of choices, don't worry:

Garrett will pipe in periodically to tell you where to go! Speaking of Garrett's new voice and his dialogue, pass. I didn't realize that the City was part of Boston! Because the only exit isn't obvious enough, even with Focus and waypoints and a minimap. Speaking of annoying sounds, the music does not fit at all and get's highly repetitive. Which reminds me, did you guys think of maybe not giving NPC's one line to just loop over and over again? To further continue about sound, a key component in the original games was being aware of what surfaces you walked on. Tile, metal, stone could all be quite loud. Now, as long as you're not jumping in puddles and stomping on broken glass, each surface is treated the same: as quiet as walking on plush carpet made of baby seals.

And Steven Gallagher, you are a hack! While the storyline of the originals would never win a Pulitzer, the amount of clichés you threw at this piece of garbage answers why you're a video-game narrative writer, and not an author of any note. Also, please fire all of your writers, because they are terrible.

Do not buy this trash.
  6. Feb 26, 2014
    Thief takes all the proven mechanics of the previous games and deliberately breaks them in order to make the game appeal to a wider audience, it's a disgrace to the already established and much loved Thief series, Eidos Montreal should be ashamed of ruining a legendary franchise.

The only benefit this game manages to leverage over its predecessors is better graphics, literally every other aspect is worse by a significant degree, most importantly the actual gameplay, but it's also plagued with incredibly small and linear maps, fundamentally broken AI, bad art direction, a completely unbelievable world, bad voice acting and lip syncing, utterly dislikeable characters, long load times a bland and uninteresting story, and crammed to the brim with performance issues, bugs and glitches.

It's a first person shooter where you cannot even jump, you're literally stuck into a first person rollercoaster Thief ride which takes you on a first person animated ride of a Thief theme park ride.

Absolute disgrace, 2/10 - that's the best I can do.
  7. Mar 30, 2014
    This new release is an absolute insult to the Thief series, Where do these 7-10 scores come from? they either getting paid to review or know nothing about video gaming and like spending there money on rubbish!
  8. Feb 26, 2014
    I preordered quite a while ago as I have been following this game since it was revealed as Thi4f (Thief 4) many years ago. Myself like others were quite skeptical of this game following the game play videos released. After playing the first mission, I am pleasantly surprised - especially after seeing some of the recent reviews on Metacritic/IGN and the likes – the thing is, I really don’tI preordered quite a while ago as I have been following this game since it was revealed as Thi4f (Thief 4) many years ago. Myself like others were quite skeptical of this game following the game play videos released. After playing the first mission, I am pleasantly surprised - especially after seeing some of the recent reviews on Metacritic/IGN and the likes – the thing is, I really don’t think they have been playing it correctly.

Now, there are a few things to do if you want to enjoy this game. First - turn off focus. Play on master difficulty or custom difficulty, and turn off pretty much everything you think will break your immersion. The light crystal isn't necessary as you can tell when you are in the light or not - I mean seriously..

Same goes for guard alerts. When they see you - do you REALLY need lightning spiking around their heads? No, if they see you, you'll know - we aren't stupid. Jeeze these modern gaming trends do get on my nerves. The point of this game is to be as immersed in it as possible.

With these things set you are guaranteed to have an enjoyable experience. This is a first-person only Thief title unlike the previous installment (Thief Deadly Shadows) - which had the option for either or.

So this is a reboot - Garret doesn't have his mechanical eye (at least not yet - maybe that happens eventually) and the city is well ... kind of like it was in previous games. Guards are still overly violent and rude. There is some kind of disease they keep talking about called the gloom – which really reminds me of Dishonored.

As for the gameplay – with everything set like I said above (thank god they put these options in). This can be one of the most heart beating experiences in gaming you can have.
    Lurking in the shadows trying to frantically pick a lock in time before the guard does his sweep near you.
    You WILL get caught, you CAN get away. And you can retry.
    The feeling you get when you successfully strip a house clean of all its valuables without anyone even realizing (even though you are right there) is just an experience that you will not find in any other games except … well, the previous Thief games. And maybe Dishonored. But all HUDS and crap really got in my way. With stealth games – you want it to be as minimalist as possible. All you want is Garret.

As for what I’ve seen, it is quite linear, this is a narrow corridor city you will be making your way through. Yet, I still felt like I had options. I could still go off and explore, take the rooftops, sneak past guards and pick the lock of the front door before anyone noticed. This is where Thief shines.
    Now for some negatives. I am going to ignore focus mode and everything of the likes as I have already stated my opinions on it.

The loading. For a 2014 game, it isn’t very impressive when every section of the city is barred off with a load screen. This is how it was in Deadly Shadows as well. But well... I guess I expected more. Thankfully these aren’t very long.
    And the thing that really irks me; is the quick time events. Spamming ‘E’ to open a frekin window. NO THANKS. THAT’S NOT A GOOD IDEA. Just open the Window for us, spamming ‘E’ really doesn’t make anything better. This is something I really think should be removed in a later patch.

The cinematics are OK. But gosh darn it the ones that aren’t rendered in game are very chopping and often the sound falls out of sync. Again, this will be fixed in a patch.
    I am very early in the game, but based on my first impression. I am happy with my purchase. I will update this review as I progress..
  9. Feb 27, 2014
    I played (and loved) Thief 1&2 as well as Thief: Deadly Shadows… which people seemed to have more legitimate complaints about than this one and still managed to rank a solid 85 on Metacritic if you care to look. (Once all the reviews were in.) This one is better than that one was. Full stop. IGN's review was bordering on slanderous. (Maybe they didn't pay IGN enough this time?) Don't getI played (and loved) Thief 1&2 as well as Thief: Deadly Shadows… which people seemed to have more legitimate complaints about than this one and still managed to rank a solid 85 on Metacritic if you care to look. (Once all the reviews were in.) This one is better than that one was. Full stop. IGN's review was bordering on slanderous. (Maybe they didn't pay IGN enough this time?) Don't get me wrong, the game isn't perfect… but I get the impression that a great number of the pro reviewers are simply too young to know what Thief is even supposed to be like. (Anyone who calls this story "confusing" needs to go back and play the earlier Thief games. Thief has always had a "nebulous and highly interpretable" narrative.) To the reviewer at IGN complaining of "flat, drab" characters… I can only assume they mean the color palette of the clothes worn by the peasants and the dark grittiness of the city. They can't mean the spoken dialog. (It's not as good as the old voice actor… but those are tough shoes to fill.) Is it "good enough?" I think so. However… in some places the lip sync is annoyingly off. (But since you are usually in dark environments you hardly ever notice.) Expand
  10. Feb 25, 2014
    Now, to start off with, get rid of the notion that games should not be judged on their predecessors; that's just an idiotic concept. Although if you were to judge it as its own game, you'd be equally unimpressed. The AI is somehow worse than that of a game made in 1998; I've had it where I've been in the light and in a guard's line of sight for about 3 seconds before they even went into aNow, to start off with, get rid of the notion that games should not be judged on their predecessors; that's just an idiotic concept. Although if you were to judge it as its own game, you'd be equally unimpressed. The AI is somehow worse than that of a game made in 1998; I've had it where I've been in the light and in a guard's line of sight for about 3 seconds before they even went into a searching phase. The rest of the gameplay is lackluster too. The combat is broken and all around terrible, and not the intentional kind of terrible seen in the first 2 games, and The Dark Mod. It's closer to the Deadly Shadows type of terrible. The stealing and hand movements, while impressive from a technical standpoint, actually do the opposite of what they intended to do, and actually break immersion. On the topic of stealing, nowhere is there a requirement to steal anything not related to the story. That's right, YOU DON'T NEED TO STEAL AT ALL IN A THIEF GAME. The levels somehow manage to be split into smaller chunks than Deadly Shadows, and the levels themselves are more linear than ever; gone are the days where you can rope arrow wherever you want, or even JUMP wherever you want. The graphics, while all new and shiny, are rather lackluster. The City is your generic steampunk Victorian setting with no colours except for teal, brown, and grey. The story and writing is absolutely abysmal. Without getting into too many spoilers, the game features 'brilliant' lines such as "I'VE ALWAYS BEEN A GHOST'," "I'M NOT A FAN OF DOORS," and, of course, "COCKRINGS." The story is about as predictable as this game being a disaster is.
    And that's just judging it on its own merits. While it's disastrous as a game in and of itself, it's the absolute worst possible Thief game.
    Take my advice; buy Thief 1 and 2, and play The Dark Mod. Already have them? Play them again, and keep your mind off of this. I couldn't recommend it to even people who enjoy playing bad games.
  11. Feb 25, 2014
    Extremely linear, the color scheme is reduced to desaturated blacks and browns, the cast is extremely bland, Garrett himself barely wisecracks and never really feels like a Master Thief... But this game's greatest mistake is that it is, quite simply, not fun to play. Doing anything in the game is boring as sin, and the low-FoV tunnel vision makes it not only boring, but also nauseating to play.
  12. Feb 26, 2014
    A prime example of the disgraceful simplification of video games today, thanks mainly to devs pandering to majority which is casual console gamers. This game is an insult to the original series, everything from the simplistic, linear gameplay, to the terrible script and voice acting.

Pathetic
  13. Feb 25, 2014
    Not a overall bad game, but it is short and not really developed as much as they hyped it up to be. The depth of the game is something that really bugged me because they really was not as much depth as I was expecting. Overall scores:
    -Gameplay: 6/10
    -smoothness: 7/10
    -Story: 6/10
    -depth: 5/10
    -controls: 5/10
    -appearance: 7/10
    -over all: 5.5/10
  14. Feb 25, 2014
    This game was bad enough for me to create a profile and submit a review just to warn fellow gamers to stay away from this stinker. Linear levels, mantling only on few pre-set points and constant handholding make this unworthy of the Thief name. Go play The Dark Mod or Dishonored, both games that are much more closer to the original classics.
  15. Feb 25, 2014
    Well I preordered this game on steam because of all the hype and the trailer made the game look so diverse and interesting...little did I know how linear and clunky this game is...u cant even create your own path to an objective...you choose between maybe 2 sometimes only 1 path to your objective... u can only climb objects that marked as climbable.. theres no exploration whatsoever inWell I preordered this game on steam because of all the hype and the trailer made the game look so diverse and interesting...little did I know how linear and clunky this game is...u cant even create your own path to an objective...you choose between maybe 2 sometimes only 1 path to your objective... u can only climb objects that marked as climbable.. theres no exploration whatsoever in this game. I couldn't even get into the story at all...the ai sucks....and theres like a cutscene every 5 mins its like this game tries more to be a movie than a game....the combat controls are horrid not that it really matters though because the ai isn't smart enough to attack effectively. total waste of my 45 dollars. Expand
  16. Feb 26, 2014
    Let's face it: Thief is just another parasite product abusing a franchise with the sole intention of ripping off console kids since those are used to even worse garbage anyway. Somebody in Eidos management must have said: "Hey, we got this Thief thing and it's not making us any money!" And there's nothing else to it. Passable graphics to get OK reviews and horrible, horrible gameplay.Let's face it: Thief is just another parasite product abusing a franchise with the sole intention of ripping off console kids since those are used to even worse garbage anyway. Somebody in Eidos management must have said: "Hey, we got this Thief thing and it's not making us any money!" And there's nothing else to it. Passable graphics to get OK reviews and horrible, horrible gameplay.

It all has happened before and it will surely happen again.
  17. Feb 26, 2014
    I was hoping for a stealth game. I got a linear theme park that has some sneaking in it. Its not what I hoped/wanted/expected, I was hoping for freedom, I got clumsy mechanics, poor gameplay. Where this game tries to get ahead is character and story....which is sad, I have had more immersion from smartphone games that were free. Wait till this game is on the very cheap 5+ years from now,I was hoping for a stealth game. I got a linear theme park that has some sneaking in it. Its not what I hoped/wanted/expected, I was hoping for freedom, I got clumsy mechanics, poor gameplay. Where this game tries to get ahead is character and story....which is sad, I have had more immersion from smartphone games that were free. Wait till this game is on the very cheap 5+ years from now, just in case you lose interest after 10 minutes.

Looks like Eidos is paying people to set 10's on this game, so many generic "Best game evar" - 11/10 Comments.

This game should lose money, no one should take something good, make it bad and still profit.
  18. Feb 26, 2014
    Another garbage, another boring and repetitive game, what is this? another rip off of the old game? I don't recommend this trash, please don't waste your money on this piece of trash.
  19. Feb 25, 2014
    Eidos Montreal killed Thief franchise by this game. Deadly Shadows wasn't perfect game but far better than Thief 2014. For me it is simple preying on the brand created by Looking Glass, and nothing more. Small levels which lead player for hand, trivial storyline written on knee, poor artificial intelligence opponents, Garrett without soul and voice of the original character and finallyEidos Montreal killed Thief franchise by this game. Deadly Shadows wasn't perfect game but far better than Thief 2014. For me it is simple preying on the brand created by Looking Glass, and nothing more. Small levels which lead player for hand, trivial storyline written on knee, poor artificial intelligence opponents, Garrett without soul and voice of the original character and finally uninspiring world without the magic of the trilogy. I'm very disappointed. Expand
  20. Feb 26, 2014
    Ok, so it’s quite clear to me that the trolls are jumping all over this in force. The first reviews that have come out from bigger companies like IGN have really give this title a good kicking. The trolls have come along and joined in, just because I suppose they find it funny.

Personally silly troll review of something stopped being funny got me about 4 years ago, but kids today eh what ya gunna do.

So when we get past the usual crap from kids who probably don’t own the game, and never will, what are we left with.

Well the recent reviews, that came after the likes of IGN, have been certainly more positive. I think this can only be due to quite an unpolished copy perhaps that the first reviewers were given.

The recent reviews match my experience a lot better which seems to be the more polished retail product.

So when you read the negative reviews, the AI, voice sync, and voice volume or repeating issues I can confirm have already been fixed. I experienced non of those. So you can forget about all that.

The games Atmosphere is great, I didn’t mind the voice work at all, and the game play as a sneak em up is great.

It is different to dishonoured as it’s a slower pace, and more thought is needed. I’ll also mention it’s look and atmosphere also leave dishonoured behind, but then this is somewhat unfair as this is a new release.

Anyway I enjoy playing Thief, it doesn’t give you the freedom of older games no, but what it’s taken away it replaces with content and some slick game play.

You always feel like a stealth master and the hands in front of you while searching and leaning add such a nice touch it adds to the emersion incredibly. They aren’t just hovering there they are truly interacting with the scenery!

I think without me writing a small book here, or trying to convince you to avoid the negative reviews, which I know now are just for the sake of it or rage from fans of the original instalments, I will heartily say, like many have before me, just go out and play this game for yourself.

I can honestly say I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Just give it a chance.

Thanks for reading.
  21. Feb 26, 2014
    Please, for the love of god. Support good video games in the industry by NOT BUYING THIS!!! This is such a mess I don't even know where to begin.

Okay, so they ripped almost the entire sound element of Thief out the window, the only things on the floor that make any more noise than complete silence are shards of glass and water. Every NPC's voice volume is at the same level to the point where you can't tell if someone is right beside you or two rooms away. It's a fascinatingly large **** in the sound department, to say the least.

Now on to the marketed "amazing immersive AI" that was in the Steam Store Page feature list, a FLAT OUT LIE. This game has some of the worst AI I've seen in a modern video game, you can get seen by guards and hide in a **** cupboard and they will forget you are there and go back to their business. You can do this six times in a row and they'd be as surprised to see you as they were the first time, and as entirely clueless at knowing where you are hiding as every consecutive time you had hidden in the same place.

The loot aspect is entirely downplayed, Garrett is no longer a master thief, but a petty hoarder. He grabs absolutely everything, from metal cups and cutlery to scissors and magnifying glasses worth 1-5 gold each. This is the stuff that Garrett would quickly gloss over while looking for precious golden candlesticks and expensive wines in the old games.

Not only this but loot doesn't even factor into the objectives of the damn game, and why would it, since the Garrett character has been so butchered and he's been put to live in an abandoned clock tower. He has no need for loot to pay the rent just to stay alive like our previous Garrett.

On top of all this, and the rest about Garrett's character being butchered, which is far too much for me to fit into this 5000 word maximum review, the levels are linear as all-hell. Everything is a straight corridor, every place you have to break in to has one way that the developers planned for you to use, gone are the days of open-ended Thief levels, now it plays like a mix between Call of Duty and Uncharted as far as level design goes.

Rope arrows have also been butchered, if you thought their removal from Deadly Shadows was bad, you're going to wish you had the Climbing Gloves. The Rope Arrows in this new Thief game can only attach to very specific roped wooden beam spots, not any wooden surface, they may as well not be a rope arrow at this point.

The dialogue is atrocious, even if you don't count the two main characters acting like they're in a emo teen angst movie. The guards are constantly mumbling about extremely stupid **** like "cock-rings".

Please, save your money and help the industry by not buying this excrement. If you really can't stand the old Thief games because you feel they're dated and want to try a game like old Thief then the closest you're going to find is Dishonored. Buy and play that instead.
  22. Feb 25, 2014
    Disappointed.

Disappointed.

It is called Thief yet you are magically transformed into a whiny dull hero. He must be Garrett's cousin, because this new Garrett is the lamest we've had so far. Nowhere to be found is the shine of the original writing. It must have been left behind with the idea of the protagonist being a master thief, instead of a boring hero of a cliche story. There's no free play, just a couple of rails here and there. There's no creative player solutions.The open world to explore is an utter joke (or an outright lie).

A game with no soul and a distasteful generic flavor with steampunk art and a "but you can steal stuff too!" does not make it Thief. Judging by the end result, their idea of appealing to new audiences is to treat everyone as retards. Decent eye candy tho. Shame.
  23. Feb 26, 2014
    It has been said better already. A beloved PC franchise has been turned into a joke. This is pretty much Thief4: The Invisible War. And on a related note, it makes 'Deadly Shadows' look like a gem.

Consider how much howling there was over that piece of **** and me saying that. You can't even say it sacrificed all the original depth for graphics. It is just all around a horrible game

Consider how much howling there was over that piece of **** and me saying that.

You can't even say it sacrificed all the original depth for graphics. It is just all around a horrible game floating on franchise nostalgia.

Which is a **** joke considering it is a puddle of piss in depth and quality.
  24. Feb 25, 2014
    Game play is 4.yrs ago handling at best, its such a try to be like Dishonored with even less effort. This game is played and they play that other game and your like.. *uninstall* its to bad, Thief has a great story following and this company single handily put it to the grave.

I was really shocked when I got this game, There is not much to say but that this game is one of the few I will be getting a refund back with. I am happy at the very least many places that sell these badly made games will in-fact give you refunds and then in turn go back after the game developers with charge backs and sending back the unused and returned copies.

When will game makes start making games truly worth while, I have seen such a huge decline lately and its sad. :( well good luck who ever keep this game I for one will not.
  25. Feb 25, 2014
    The game is good for the beginners, but NOT for the old Thief fans. AI is really a piece of s**t, and the game is just too linear. Technical problems make the game even worse.
  26. Feb 26, 2014
    This is the "Godfather 3" of the Thief series. In case you don't get the reference, it means that the game is a huge disappointment. I have played the game for about 2 hours now, and it is buggy as hell. For instance, you climb on a rope and then can't jump off. Or you will go to an edge of a roof, and not be able to jump off. The graphics are great, but you feel like you can'tThis is the "Godfather 3" of the Thief series. In case you don't get the reference, it means that the game is a huge disappointment. I have played the game for about 2 hours now, and it is buggy as hell. For instance, you climb on a rope and then can't jump off. Or you will go to an edge of a roof, and not be able to jump off. The graphics are great, but you feel like you can't inhabit the world- instead, you are essentially led were to go. It really harmed the game to have a different voice actor play Garett. Expand
  27. Feb 25, 2014
    This is a heavily scripted game with heavy emphasis on hand holding and baby sitting. I remember when the Thief games were immersive because you had to be immersed to win. You had to look at the ground and watch every flicker of a torch light, and when you knocked out a guard, it didn't play a cut scene.

This new Thief game has detective vision, you know, like in Batman: Arkham Asylum. This technique has been copied and pasted numerous times and it completely detracts from the Thief experience. To the game's credit, this can be disabled, but only at the start of every new game, it cannot be changed on the fly. This game has been made far too easy, enemy guards can easily be dispatched, meaning players have no reason to avoid and or fear them.

In the end, this game has been far too modernized for a Call of Duty audience, who all expect a scripted adventure where the puzzles are solved for them. As the game progresses, the levels do become more open and sanboxy, but the game already faltered from the beginning, by pissing on the Thief legacy.
  28. Feb 25, 2014
    By far the worst Thief game ever made. It is not even Thief at this point. Skip this entirely and play the older ones if you need a good thievery game.
  29. Feb 25, 2014
    Thief 1 & 2 are classics, forever changing what we thought video games were capable of. This ugly reboot gets Thief about as wrong as it is possible to get wrong. I kid you not, there is a sequence where you are chased rooftop to rooftop by dogs and if you screw up or slow down you are killed. This game is a total mess, watered down, linear, consolized and casualized for the ignorantThief 1 & 2 are classics, forever changing what we thought video games were capable of. This ugly reboot gets Thief about as wrong as it is possible to get wrong. I kid you not, there is a sequence where you are chased rooftop to rooftop by dogs and if you screw up or slow down you are killed. This game is a total mess, watered down, linear, consolized and casualized for the ignorant masses. There is such incredible content still being made for Thief on PC, The HD Mods, The Dark Mod with new levels being released constantly, there is absolutely no reason to pay for this garbage. Expand
  30. Feb 25, 2014
    As a Thief fan I have to say I enjoy the game immensely, it obviously isn't classic Thief games but what do you expect? It's 2014 and games have changed for better and for worse. It isn't goundbreaking by any means, but I didn't need groundbreaking. Just a stealth game which I got. Excellent atmosphere and graphics and I feel the controls are fluid.

Find some let's plays and judge for

Find some let's plays and judge for yourself, it's a pretty good game in my humble opinion.
  31. Feb 25, 2014
    Absolute garbage. The script is about as poorly acted upon as the English dubs of Japanese games from the 80s and 90s. The AI is just as, if not more laughable. This new release is an absolute insult to the franchise and absolutely violates the concept of the original games.
  32. Feb 28, 2014
    I want to report a crime, a case of murder to be more precise. They really killed him! They murdered Garett! And it's the worst kind of murder, not for reasons of self defense or out of a state of mental confusion, but planned and executed in cold blood and for purely financial reasons! It's true that Garett wasn't an innocent by any means, he was a thief after all. Yet this he did notI want to report a crime, a case of murder to be more precise. They really killed him! They murdered Garett! And it's the worst kind of murder, not for reasons of self defense or out of a state of mental confusion, but planned and executed in cold blood and for purely financial reasons! It's true that Garett wasn't an innocent by any means, he was a thief after all. Yet this he did not deserve! Shame on you Squenix and Eidos! Expand
  33. Feb 25, 2014
    I implore that you do not take the negative reviews here as an indication that Thief is by any means a bad game. These "reviews" are the work of preconceived notions, and fail to represent the game for what it is, instead focusing on what it could have been. Thief is a reboot, not a sequel -- if you're unfamiliar with the series as a whole, you might even love it.

It's not a great game,

It's not a great game, but it's far from bad. Actually, I would say it's pretty good if you're willing to ignore that its predecessors are better. The confined spaces, lack of terribly dark atmosphere, the modernization of mechanics, and addition of a progressive combat system are all a mixed-bag that you'll either dislike or appreciate. However, there are options to better tailor the game to your liking.

Make sure to read both good and bad reviews before making a decision. Don't be influenced by the silly "old thief soldiers" roaming the web -- most of which have likely not played the reboot, or entered the experience with an elitist and negative attitude that lessened their enjoyment.
  34. Feb 25, 2014
    The game is not perfect, nor is it groundbreaking, however- it captures a feeling that I have lost for quite some time with gaming, and that is a wow factor. With an industry filled with FPS games and characters that can power through enemies, Thief is able to bring in realism and truly slow-paced strategy that is well received.
  35. Feb 25, 2014
    To Masterx1234. Are you nuts? A zero? Seriously dude, you need to get help if you think this game is a 0/10. That tells me you're so invested in the original game that you can't see past it. The game is atmospheric and fun -- all the reviews say this, even the negative ones. It's not hard to make a fair judgement here -- fine, you hated the game, but zero? You're a fanboy, nothing more.
  36. Feb 25, 2014
    Ok..so this is a reboot from the clasic Thief franchise...I never palyed any hief games before this one i never eaven watched a single gameplay video of it nothing.First time i saw thief it was before i wet out and bought it.This game delivers every thing i wanted stealth,action,adventure,tactics.....You can not compare this game with battlefield,call of duty,crysis you can not eaven thinkOk..so this is a reboot from the clasic Thief franchise...I never palyed any hief games before this one i never eaven watched a single gameplay video of it nothing.First time i saw thief it was before i wet out and bought it.This game delivers every thing i wanted stealth,action,adventure,tactics.....You can not compare this game with battlefield,call of duty,crysis you can not eaven think is going to be like that.The game is called Thief so what do you expect from it..stealing,stealth,less killing,more looting,more tactics.You can not go all guns out blazing trough the game you have to think for what you are going to do next....The world is perfect for the story,and the ambient is perfect.So what is wrong whit you people this game is a great game,what do you find bad in this game..the slow pace maybe or just that you do not shoot a gun like every stupid fps in the last 3 years..this is a great reelef froom all the modern shoters that are coming out every day...so this deserves a 9/10-And just a note i did not eaven include everything good in this review there are a lot more good things in th game and i want you to go out and buy this game... Expand
  37. Feb 25, 2014
    Amazing game! I really love it.
    WHy? Because it has not just easy, normal, hard options, but you can customize them. I really love gameplay and i can't understand this low score.
  38. Feb 26, 2014
    I really enjoyed playing this game. I really hope they make another one so I can waste another 10 minutes of my life. $50 / 10 minutes = $5 a minute. They've really rewritten the genre. Thanks for polluting the gaming ecosystem with another piece of rubbish.
  39. Feb 26, 2014
    Dont know why this game is getting so bad reviews its a GOOD game. Good controls, good cinematics, good imersion. Making a reboot with modern engines makes de game a quite diferent. My system is a AMD FX 8350, and 2X7970 Crossfire, the game runs at 60 FPS.
  40. Feb 26, 2014
    EWW is a word that come to mine over this terrible game!. I paid $50NZD for a game that held my attention for 10 minutes!!. Worst Linear game play I have ever experienced, Master thief more like a ragging nut man magpie ... picks up everything that is shiny that instantly converts to gold in his inventory. the graphics of this game are terrible looks like they worked on 10% and left theEWW is a word that come to mine over this terrible game!. I paid $50NZD for a game that held my attention for 10 minutes!!. Worst Linear game play I have ever experienced, Master thief more like a ragging nut man magpie ... picks up everything that is shiny that instantly converts to gold in his inventory. the graphics of this game are terrible looks like they worked on 10% and left the rest hoping you wouldn't notice it. The AI ...... wont even go there you can stand right in front of them and they don't see you. THIS GAME WOULDN'T CHALLENGE A 5 YEAR OLD. DO NOT BUY PLEASE! Expand
  41. Feb 25, 2014
    Well, I played the originals when they were released and I'm loving this game. The game puts a huge emphasis on stealth and is a lot of fun. I watched gameplay videos and came to my own conclusion before buying it. The Steam reviews reflect my thoughts as well.
    One of the best things about the game for me is the atmosphere and the sound. When you're creeping around a house, there is a real sense of fear. The fear of being caught. Because once you're caught(at least on Master difficulty), you're screwed. The music that plays when you're sneaking around is more about atmosphere than about being music. It really gives me the feeling of the original games.
    One of the best moments so far for me was trying to pick a safe next to a sleeping guard. If you miss a tumbler, you'll wake the guards and I nearly did a couple times.
    Other things that stood out for me were: I put out a torch to sneak around a guard. He noticed and re-lit the torch. That was unexpected and pretty awesome. Also, leaving doors open after entering a room can alert people that there's an intruder. This was one thing in the originals that didn't matter. I had to reload my game a couple times because this gave me away to the guards.
    This game is NOT about fast paced action. It's mainly about stealth and stealing things. The game is also a challenge on "master" difficulty. I haven't messed with all of the other extra difficulty settings yet, but the game can be made extremely difficult.

Watch some gameplay videos and come to your own conclusion. That's what I did and I'm loving this game.
  42. Feb 26, 2014
    Good stealth, for me its better than Dishonored.
    Interesting game. Big City, realy atmospheric side missions and interesting story missions.
    Its also amazingly optimized, and the graphics are more than good.
  43. Feb 26, 2014
    Before i start I would like you to know that i have never played any of the other thief games, and have not finished this one yet. Anyways, i wanted to like this game, i really did, but with a poor ai, and game play that isn't that much enjoyable it was hard to do. Being able to customize the difficulty is a nice option, and the graphics for the most part are gorgeous, but there are tooBefore i start I would like you to know that i have never played any of the other thief games, and have not finished this one yet. Anyways, i wanted to like this game, i really did, but with a poor ai, and game play that isn't that much enjoyable it was hard to do. Being able to customize the difficulty is a nice option, and the graphics for the most part are gorgeous, but there are too many flaws to this game. To start off the movement is ok, but i found Garret moving in ways i didn't want him to and sometimes it resulted in my death. The pathing is quite linear, sometimes you will find a side route, but these are usually just sewer or vent areas that bypass everything and leave little challenge. The ai in this game is more focused on the artificial side and less on the intelligent part. There are many parts when i should have been spotted and wasn't and when i shouldn't have been spotted i was. This brings me to my next point, the combat. I know this is a stealth game, and most people will go through this game avoiding as much combat as possible, but if you're going to put combat in this game at least make it decent. All you do after entering combat is dodge, bash, repeat. It is very repetitive and becomes very boring quickly. Throughout the game I came to find that it was filled with filler. For every time you go to steal an item or open a drawer there is a small, but lengthy animation. I find these interactions to be neat and they are cool, but when im stealing 5 or more items in a room and have to open at least four drawers on a desk it becomes extremely irritating. Finally my last point is that they point some things in this game that were unnecessary. For example when you are at the brothel there are about four places you can peek through the holes in the wall and see some special services being committed. I can see if they include sound, but the fact that they include multiple scenes made me feel like they were completely irrelevant to the game and they were included to try to bring in more people to buy the game. The other annoyance in the game which happens quite often is the screen flashing. When you move in and out of the light your screen flashes brightly and is quite blinding especially if you are playing this late at night. Even though you already have a small white orb in the bottom of the screen which tells you whether you can be seen or not. This blinding light also happens when lighting flashes, which almost makes sense to me, but it is just so bright and blinding it ridiculous! After all of this a can see why this game has the reduced price tag, and i hope you look up some game play and really think if you would want to be playing this game for hours and hours before buying. Expand
  44. Feb 25, 2014
    Even with all the negative reviews I decided to give this game a go and guess what? It's actually a pretty awesome game. While it is not perfect and does have a few poor design choices and bugs, it is still very enjoyable and good looking game.
    Each game can be set as one of three difficulty levels or a custom difficulty where you can then select from a myriad of different choices to enhance your gameplay experience so that you can play the game the way YOU want to.
    While some parts of the game are rather linear, this does follow most of the original Thief game's design and still manages to work quite well if you aren't insisting that every single game have "open world design" these days.
    Enemy AI can be buggy at times but overall works very well depending on the difficulty chosen and can be a real challenge to work around. Few times was I ever spotted when I shouldn't have been or not spotted when I felt I should have.
    Overall it has a few rough patches but still maintains a mix of fun stealth gameplay and I would certainly recommend it if you enjoy these types of games and are willing to put aside all the negative reviews certain fans are giving it.
  45. Feb 25, 2014
    one of the best Thief game i have played yet i like the concept of what they have done with this game and yes before anyone would question my comment on this game i have played and still own the older generation version also i would have to disagree with the Metascore it should have been at least 85/100 but hey in today's world some gaming critic's wouldn't know a good game if it was inone of the best Thief game i have played yet i like the concept of what they have done with this game and yes before anyone would question my comment on this game i have played and still own the older generation version also i would have to disagree with the Metascore it should have been at least 85/100 but hey in today's world some gaming critic's wouldn't know a good game if it was in front of their face but back to the game the controls are comfortable the graphics are amazing even the cinematic cut scene's this game is for sure worth to play over and over on a higher settings each time Expand
  46. Feb 25, 2014
    Stop talking about the past Thief games! It's a fact that today's games are so far from those jewels of the past, but that doesn't mean that the game is bad! Like Bob Dylan said, 'The times they are a-changin' and it's impossible to do that kind of games today. It's a petty but it's the reality of what you can expect about a AAA game... let's give those hopes to the indies.

However,

However, this is a great game if you are a good gamer and play it at his highest difficulty settings and taking your time to see the little things. Garrett is a Thief not a warrior.

[Sorry about my english!]
  47. Feb 26, 2014
    Graphics 4/10
    Gameplay 3/10
    Story -6/10
    Atmoshphere 12/10
    Voice Acting -13/10

This game is not the best game ever, in fact, it is not even the second best game ever or the third best game ever. It is, in fact, the four hundred and twenty three thousand, eight hundred and thirty ninth best game ever.
  48. Feb 25, 2014
    Is the first Thief I played, I played for almost 2 hours and loved the atmosphere, the gameplay, everything is perfect . You can choose the difficulty , I chose normal and it's still a little hard to steal things without being noticed, you have to think before what you're doing and keep an eye on the movement of soldiers. The graphics are not spectacular, but they are beautiful. I ran theIs the first Thief I played, I played for almost 2 hours and loved the atmosphere, the gameplay, everything is perfect . You can choose the difficulty , I chose normal and it's still a little hard to steal things without being noticed, you have to think before what you're doing and keep an eye on the movement of soldiers. The graphics are not spectacular, but they are beautiful. I ran the game with everything max, filters, etc, at 1920x1080 and rolled flat, the FPS ranged between 50 and 60. It took me almost 2 hours to get past the first mission , exploring every corner to steal as much as possible and trying not to be detected, which made me take more. About the negative reviews, including the "big sites", I was not disappointed to read before playing, and now I played I'm not unrepentant, as I said, I loved the game and I recommend for you that enjoy a good first-person stealth game. Ignore the reviews, play and give your own conclusion. That's it. Expand
  49. Feb 25, 2014
    The game is simply a masterpiece. Beautiful graphics, excellent optimization, good detailzation stealth at the level. Squarenix bad games can not do. I am very happy buying this great game.
  50. Feb 25, 2014
    Thief is truly an excellent game for excellent people. Foreboding atmosphere, superbly controls, complex gameplay systems, intricate graphics, exceptional storytelling, etc. Eidos Montreal have proven once again that their team has the chops to reboot a classic franchise after the incredible Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thief is a Thief game for fans of the older titles. While some thingsThief is truly an excellent game for excellent people. Foreboding atmosphere, superbly controls, complex gameplay systems, intricate graphics, exceptional storytelling, etc. Eidos Montreal have proven once again that their team has the chops to reboot a classic franchise after the incredible Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thief is a Thief game for fans of the older titles. While some things have changed, 99% of it remains the same but better than ever. 10/10, well deserved! A masterful creation! Expand
  51. May 29, 2014
    On the surface, Thief (2014) looks like a solid stealth game and story-wise you don't know what to expect. But man, this game got the worst story-telling I've ever faced in any game before. It really killed the game and in aspects of game-play, I'd say it was mediocre or rather bad when it's such a big title.
    That's why I could not even force myself to like it, not even with Garrets bad
    That's why I could not even force myself to like it, not even with Garrets bad one-liners...
  52. Jun 29, 2014
    What a disappointment. Every part of the game looks, feels and plays like every other part of the game. I was bored within one hour. The AI is tragically dumb ... I stopped playing and moved on to something better.
  53. Jun 29, 2014
    First off, for those who keep saying we shouldn't judge this based on its predecessors: Then they shouldn't have called it Thief.

This game is emblematic of everything wrong with AAA game design at the moment to me. Don't get me wrong, its very very pretty. That means absolutely nothing, especially in terms of story telling, but its pretty. I stopped playing once I realized that I literally had nothing to fear when creeping high above a city street, you have to consciously make the decision to 'fall'. From what I've read of other reviews it doesn't get any better. No sword or dagger, just a quick time event to fight off guards. An apparent aversion to killing, but an achievement for 5 head shots with arrows.

I rarely write reviews, but I hope this studio doesn't get its hands on any other beloved IPs.
  54. Jul 6, 2014
    4 major problems with this game.
    4 major problems with this game.
    1. No Jumping!!! or any movement outside of where the developers want you to go. This creates and extremely linear feel to the game. In a game where climbing and parkour is built into the mechanics free jumping is something that is a massive shame to be left out. I know Garret can jump but only where the developers want you to jump instead there are so many opportunities where a jump could have been so usefull and made the game so fluid but instead you fall to the round off a not nearly fatal enough height and die so instead of jumping you have to sneak past the guards on the street, and when running from one end of the city to the other about 20 times this gets kinda dull.
    2. Stop trying to be like Dishonored. A deadly disease takes the city, the works of ancient magical beings, one assassin/thief against a evil tyrant/dictator.
    3. More diversity, and less emphasis on looting. I know the game's called thief but in no way should the game encourage someone to go through every room in a mission to find all loot items especially when they're valued at 3 or 4 gold a piece. Less loot items but more valuable is my suggestion.
    4 And finally fix the AI, At hard they can pretty much see you no matter what, and on normal you can swoop right past them.
  55. May 28, 2014
    The story is not interesting, the open world is pathetic and I wouldn't even call it an open world because it isn't open. The game has some issues on my AMD card and while the stealing is cool the combat needs work. All the arrows you have are interesting enough but the countering system is just plain bad.
  56. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never been...and never will be a **** meaning those 30+ over people who worship old games as holy relics and despise everything made after the "Golden 90s".

That's why, having played the first two Thief games in my youth: Dark Project and Metal Age, i was also able to play and love the third installment of the series, Deadly Shadows, which received a lot of hate from older generations at its release in 2005.
    Sure, Deadly Shadows was a different game regarding mechanics, but the charachters and especially the story fitted perfectly in the Thief's canon.

As the main theme of the saga was the "balance" kept by the Keepers between Pagans and Hammerites, the third game related directly to the Keepers themselves, closing perfectly the cycle with an emblematic ending.

Recently...i think i've developed a sort of "sixth sense" regarding newest games. I'm able to feel immediately if a new sequel or reboot would work or not. I was positive about the new installments of other stealth series, as Hitman and Splinter Cell, and their releases confirmed my impressions.

The absolutely negative feeling i've got about this Thief reboot, also has proven to be correct.

The new Thief is a work which fails in everything... the atmosphere, the gameplay (too influenced by the mediocre Dishonored, which in turn failed to mimic what was best in the Thief saga) and most especially the story.

Deadly Shadows closed with Garret becoming the new leader of the Keepers, as he was always "predestined" to be. And he found a new apprentice, a young girl who tried to rob him in the same manner he did with his old Keeper mentor Artemius at the beginning of Dark Project.

Then we found that in the new Thief he "died in an asylum", the Keepers, Pagans and Hammerites are long gone....and now a new Garret with a female apprentice tries to make a living in a world menaced by themes dear to the old "Deus Ex/Dishonored" clichès... a plague, a conspiracy, a mysterious entity.

There's no explanation about how the world was supposed to develop in such a fashion....no explanation why there's a new "Garrett" with a new fence called "Basso" (why in the hell they took the names of people died centuries before and who probably even don't know!).....and the ending really makes no sense at all.

The oldest saga also got its "voids" in the story or the environment...but they were used to amplify the mistery and atmosphere of the games.

So in conclusion, Thief failed in the element which is the most important for me in a game: its soul.
  57. Jul 21, 2014
    I'm a big fan of Thief 1,2,3 series. I really waited for new series and I was a fool to buy on the first dya it was released on STEAM. I stopped playing this ****
    Instead I'm playing Dishonored and this is more similar than THIEF Reboot.
  58. May 1, 2014
    At first sight, Thief 2014, might seem like the next badass thief-game, however it fails on many levels.
    The main problem with the game are the neverending loading screens, you can't even roam around the city without following predetermined corridors with a loading screen between every single one. When backtracking the enemies have all respawned as if it was a game of megaman back in the day, not that megaman was bad but it really breaks the immersion.
    Another huge problem is the clunky feel of the character, you're supposed to be a master thief and you can even make a simple jump when you want to, have to wait for a certain prompt/place to execute a jump.
    Do yourself a favor and buy Dishonored instead, it's a much better game in all aspects.
  59. Dec 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its not thief.
    Its qte console trash.

Good gfx
    Horrible sound (bugs, no environment sounds and, etc)
    Horrible music (into what music?)
    A.I. - Artificial idiot

What is it?
  60. Jan 1, 2015
    Well... this is frustrating. Let that be the headline for this review.

Well... this is frustrating. Let that be the headline for this review.

I played Thief back in the day and I still recall trembling with glee as I saw its cover and realized that someone had really made the game I always dreamed they would. And it was everything I hoped for and then some. I've played them all since then and even though Thief III started to lean towards the dull precipice of console gaming, I still enjoyed a lot of it and preordered this reboot. I shouldn't have and I'm never paying for something they haven't made yet again. Ok so:

Good things:
    The graphics capture the atmosphere really well. Certain parts of the city feel exactly like I imagine old London or something felt and that' very cool.

Bad things:
    And that's why this is so bloody frustrating. They had the tools, they'd made the setup for this game and then they dropped it on the floor. The story is weak and not particularly engaging. Garret isn't his old self and a bit too emo. The level design is far from inspiring and you're mostly dragged along a linear course with no planning and few options. Moving the character around feels a bit clumsy and ancient which was fine in 99 but not so much now. Worst of all though: the sound is utterly messed up. You can't tell where voices come from and that's just not ok in a stealth game. It breaks immersion and makes it really hard to navigate the darkness in a stealthy way.

In the end we needed more missions, more planning, less moving back and forth over the same (admittedly fairly gorgeous) cityscape. We needed a protagonist with a cynical story and his good old sarcastic approach to everything and one that felt like you were moving around a master thief and not a clunky dude from 99.

This game was a big let-down. It wasn't all bad, it's playable, but it had SO much potential and could so easily have been a lot more. Frustrating.
  61. Mar 24, 2015
    Totally generic and uninspired. It tries to copy so many other games that it completely fails to make its own identity. The setting interested me and, initially during the prologue, the looting interested me. That's it. Everything else was a disappointment. There's absolutely no reason to play this travesty when you can get Dishonored instead.
  62. Dec 3, 2014
    This is not a Thief game as you know it. This is something much worse. There's a lot of polish here, but at the end of the day it's just not fun. The Thief mythos has been redefined and the core mechanics have been changed.

Did you enjoy making a pile of bodies on each level in previous Thief games while slowly progressing through? Gone; now the levels are extremely linear and encounters tend to act as a checkpoint through which you'll pass and immediately forget.

Enjoyed collecting loot and meeting those value goals each level? Gone as well. The loot will literally obstruct your path. Levels feel more like a Mario game than Thief--the loot will jump out at you (especially now that it shines *and* you have focus vision to make it pop). Sure you can go slightly out of your way and grab a few more coins, but it's hardly worth it.

Did you enjoy finding secret areas and the rewards within? Also gone. The secrets in this game are designed to be readily found so that everyone can find every secret during every playthrough. Worse still, the rewards inside tend to be unique loot which will go to your hideout to be stacked on each on a shelf or hung on a wall. Absolutely no gameplay rewards here.

Did you enjoy the variety of enemies in the previous games? Gone again. There are two. TWO! types of enemies in the entire game. One of which is just a lazy version of the other, with sensitivity to noise and other triggers turned way up.

Did you enjoy the AI of the previous games? Probably not, I know I didn't. Yet still it's worse here. Enemies rarely alert each other of events. Wandering civilians have been exchanged for caged birds and dogs. Yes, caged. They couldn't be bothered to make the dogs wander, so they just sit in a cage and bark.

Did you enjoy using a variety of arrows to take down enemies? Pretty much gone. There are fewer arrow types, you can hold less of them (especially starting off), and they're extremely rare. Expect to use one or two a level.

Did you enjoy knocking out opponents? Backstabbing them? Stealing arrows from an archer so he can't fight back? Gone. Gone. Gone. You have only a black jack now and there's no distinguishing knockouts from kills.

Did you enjoy collecting keys and progressing through the level? Yup, gone. No keys here, just linear progression triggered by scripted events.

I could go on, but i think you get the point. Is this a good Thief game? Definitely not. Is this a good game when not compared to the rest of the series? I'm afraid not. It does have a couple genuinely enjoyable moments, but those are few and far between, and they certainly don't make the between bits worth playing.

Do yourself favor and skip this game. Fingers crossed that the Thief series doesn't end with this stinker.
  63. Mar 15, 2015
    Very dissapointing... A reboot of thief 1/thief 2 with todays graphics would be better and sell better. Unfortunately the gaming industry keeps going towards the console fans while ruining games which is something i ll never endorse or contribute.
    Everything is mediocre except for the graphics.
  64. Sep 1, 2014
    Overall, this is a pretty bad game. The story is so weak and bland that it's almost laughable. Maps are confusing and difficult to read. I've also encountered lots of glitches, which was not fun at all. The stealth gameplay is enjoyable up to a point, but it gets repetitive quite quickly. A waste of time.
  65. Dec 6, 2014
    I never played the original, so my review is nostalgia-free... But, seriously... albeit the universe of the game is really nice and charming, well... the gameplay kind bored me. I really don't know what else to say. I wasn't engaged by any part of this game, other than its atmosphere. The gameplay and story just bored me, and I still did not finished it. And, honestly, I don't think I will...
  66. Apr 8, 2014
    This is possibly one of the worst stealth games of the century. What's the point of trying to stay in shadows if the guards are blind as a bat? You could literally stand up, walk around, even RUN and they wouldn't even notice you.

The A.I. is non-existent. They have very narrow field of view, ncps keep repeating the same lines of dialogue over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Houses are empty, levels are horribly designed and very linear with so many loading screens. There's no point in exploring multiple paths because they all get you to the same place anyway. Why bother going around the long way to get to your objective when you can just open the front door and literally end up in the same exact spot? The game is so incredibly linear that the idea of having different paths is just a joke.

Let's not forget that atrocious story... what were they even thinking? The plot is very loose and jumbled it makes the TV show LOST seem like it had a much more understandable and interesting story as ironic as it sounds.

That's just how BAD it is.
  67. Apr 9, 2014
    I could write a long rambling review saying what everyone else has already said about this complete catastrophic train wreck of a "game" ranging from the tiny level sizes and loading screens every 30 meters, to the broken audio to the dumb QTE's and micro-cutscenes which break immersion more than they add, to the dumbing down of the light-gem from 11 states to just 3.

Instead I'll just

Instead I'll just post one example of many of what kind of "casual audience" they're targeting for Call of Thiefy 4. This is a genuine objective from Mission 1:-

"Get 4 Headshots"

Headshots. In Thief...

When playing a Khajiit in Skyrim or replaying a 1998 game gives you a better "Thief" experience than 2014 Thief, you know the franchise is now dead...

Do yourself a favor, go buy the original trilogy dirt cheap on GOG, then treat yourself to Dishonored if you haven't already played it, which although different from Thief, doesn't actively take the p*ss and insult your intelligence like this putrid train-wreck masquerading as a "Thief sequel"...
  68. Mar 12, 2014
    To be brief: I regret having bought this **** Name it "Call of duty, thief" , Or "Assassin's creed: cheesy thief", and you will get the sense. One of the best franchise every turned into a dumb game for dumb coach junkies, that's all. **** you creators of this, I hope most of people will keep on pirating the game.
  69. Apr 1, 2014
    Worst reboot of a game ever in gaming history. I hope every dev that worked on this pile of festering snot of a game lose their jobs and end up serving fries.

1) Too gutless and yellow to connect the game to old Thief series because they are scared of being accused of "Tying game to past Thiefs" 2) Boring, uninteresting plot 3) Stupid mini cutscenes that take away control from

2) Boring, uninteresting plot

3) Stupid mini cutscenes that take away control from you in typical consolitis fashion. For example, knock out a guard and you are locked out of control for 5 seconds while Garrett lovingly lowers the unconscions guard to the ground

4) Consolitis in every way. From the cutscenes, to the gameplay, to the story. Brainless garbage

5) The devs who made this game are sexual deviants. One mission forces you to watch five pornographic scenes. Yes I am not kidding you, you are forced to watch pornography over and over again, five times in a row, to solve a mission. I am talking about the brothel mission. It's so sad that porn addicts are given jobs as game devs.

6) The game constantly deletes your savegames. I spent two hours working my way through the seventh mission, only to find that when I clicked the "Continue" button it deleted my manual saves and made me restart the seventh mission. Please fire the losers who made this garbage worthless sequel of a game.

Worst reboot ever. In fact, reboot is for losers who spit and urinate on the fine lore that previous designers made. I hope that everybody on this pile of festering dog doo never get to work in the gaming industry again.
  70. Jun 17, 2014
    **** graphics, terrible controls, low FPS even in cutscenes, and brainless AI. Also, gamma in game so dirty, that you feel how dog turd squeeze on your face instead NEXTGEN. Time and money wasted.
  71. Mar 13, 2014
    As a standalone game this would be a standard run-of-the-mill stealth'em up game, and I would give it a standard "meh"-score of around 5 or 6.

However, since they decided to put the name "Thief" on the game and claim it to be a sequel to the original Thief series, it must (unfortunately for itself) be judged based on how it compares to the original games. And that's where it fails,

And that's where it fails, and miserably so. Gone is the humor, the feeling of an huge playing ground, the freedom... As it stands it's a messed up mix of Assassin's Creed, Batman, and a huge chunk of Dishonored thrown in for measure.

Actually, to use another Batman reference, this game feels like the Batman & Robin movie (with George Clooney) compared to the original Batman with Michael Keaton.
  72. Mar 8, 2014
    Visually the game is quite good. The atmosphere was decent but it feels a bit sterile and empty. What kills the game completely is the lack of freedom and the incredibly stupid contextual movement. This enhances the feeling of being on rails, and in fact is the definition of being on rails in games. I didn't notice any particular difference in advantage from picking one path over anotherVisually the game is quite good. The atmosphere was decent but it feels a bit sterile and empty. What kills the game completely is the lack of freedom and the incredibly stupid contextual movement. This enhances the feeling of being on rails, and in fact is the definition of being on rails in games. I didn't notice any particular difference in advantage from picking one path over another when it was offered either. I'd go as far as saying that it feels like the developers went out of their way to create the coolest Thief ever but missed the genre completely. A sad, sad example of game creators expecting their players to be underdeveloped intellectually which is so common these days. Expand
  73. Mar 12, 2014
    This game has the same engine as dishonored, however they were not able to take advantage on its great features... its a simple, badly made clone, same story, same tricks, bad story. nowhere even close to the original thief feeling. don't waste money on it.
  74. Apr 14, 2014
    Thief looks very pretty, runs smoothly and the game-play is mostly good. Clambering about the city is fun. Your tools are pretty good too, with ropes that can be deployed to gain high locations, water that can be used to quench light sources and other toys with which to make your way. If you turn off all the aids and guides, the game is even quite immersive. (I turned off everything saveThief looks very pretty, runs smoothly and the game-play is mostly good. Clambering about the city is fun. Your tools are pretty good too, with ropes that can be deployed to gain high locations, water that can be used to quench light sources and other toys with which to make your way. If you turn off all the aids and guides, the game is even quite immersive. (I turned off everything save the highlighting of interactive objects and the lock-picking U.I.)

Unfortunately, the main story is drivel. It is incredibly contrived and, as a result, there is absolutely no reason to care about it. The city itself makes a rather good sand-box but that is limited and somewhat repetitive so it will not hold your attention for long. The side quests are variable - some of them are fun - but they aren't rewarding at all because they all end with brief thanks from the quest-giver, nothing more. Fetch item from place for person, person says thanks, rinse, repeat.

Ending missions and transitioning between map areas both carry a great sense of discontinuity. I frequently abandoned a session after a level transition teleported me to an environment that felt completely different to the one I left, in which I entered the level heading in the opposite direction to my previous heading. After each mission, you are teleported back to your tower, free to set out once more.

The much lauded options screen does not let you disable objective notifications and this is a major problem. The objective notifications turn the game into a work-to list, continually reminding you what you should do, next. They are redundant and unnecessary and they remove all the fun from working things out. Yes, you may pick up some documents and read them in depth to learn about the place you've infiltrated. That is irrelevant - just do what the popup says. Similarly, you can't disable the obvious and repeated scratch marks below every climbable grate, the puerile bright-white paint splashed on edges up which you may mantle or the glowing blue highlights on ladders and climbable pipes. All of these are a slap in the face to those of us seeking an opportunity to think creatively, they break immersion and, perhaps, they're sadly necessary because there's a great deal of geometry you may not climb for no apparent reason. (The levels are all mazes of a few allowed paths.)

The sound design is also cheap and nasty. Gone are the EAX-powered rooms of yore with echoes and direction and context and ambience. Today's Thief - a title in a series formerly considered the pinnacle of sound scapes - is played with background music and conversations from disembodied voices. When two characters are talking, one may sound incredibly near and the other be barely audible. The environments are flat. Sounds and volumes give no indication of distance or direction.

The penultimate nail in Thief's coffin is the batch of scripted running sequences. They are at once frustratingly difficult - don't run too slowly, don't run too fast, don't deviate from the path, don't make any mistake, only one option works, everything else kills you instantly - and incredibly boring because of their linearity. They are out of place in a game called Thief, too, where stealth and ingenuity, not speed, should be key.

Finally, Thief is scuppered by the blatant re-use and cheap duplication of content prevalent throughout the game. Every guard or threat spouts the same lines; even if the accent is varied. Conversations repeat endlessly to the point that one's driven to turn off the game's sound. The city is a mass of similar buildings that are so bland and forgettable that navigation requires the mini-map. Even the squeezing-through-hidden-passage sequence that I initially perceived as a clever disguise for an area transition is copied over and over, with the same annoying quick-time-event required to move the same wooden beam out of your way.

As a footnote, I must also mention the desk fans. Steampunk environments are awesome, yes, but steam powered desk fans are just trying too hard.
  75. Mar 8, 2014
    It's a beautiful game, there's no doubt about it, but, that's all.
    The game system is very poor, no real challenge at the end. And if a guard see your character, you have to replay that moment again, which is very annoying after a time.
    And a stealth game in first person, it's a bad choice in my opinion.
  76. Mar 8, 2014
    I created an account just to make this short review. The game is one of the worst games I have ever played in my life, I have not played the other Thief games so as a newcomer to the series, I doubt I will be coming back if they ever decide to make an sequel.

Don't waste on your money on this game, it is not worth your time nor is it enjoyable at all. You will be constantly frustrated how bad the AI is, how **** the level design is and how annoying all the bugs and glitches including the horrible audio problems the game has. I wish this game wasn't so bad, gladly I didn't pay full price for it either.

Buy this game if you're looking for a horrible gaming experience, horrible story, linear gameplay and awful gameplay in general.

I'm feeling quite generous by giving this game 3 out of 10...
  77. Mar 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is very similar to Dishonored but unfortunately it is very bad. I
    have played this game about 4 hours and then i turned off the game because
    this game has a bad plot and a combat system. The worst thing that you can
    not collect the arrows from dead enemies. Despite all disadvantages the
    game has very good graphic.
  78. Mar 10, 2014
    Removing everything that is loved about the series besides 'a guy who steals,' including the ability to jump, something which has been integral in first person games since they're been made. Leaving garret seemingly rolling on caterpillar tracks over the ground.

No rope arrows, no hammerites, no pagans mechanists, or keepers, blackjack takedowns annoyingly animated with cutscenes, closing a door behind you becomes an four second cutscene instead of something you barely think about. Some things would have been so easy to implement and given such pleasure, such as the word 'taffer' are completely missing, though surreally, obscure characters like 'basso' ARE involved.

Boring locations and missions, without the imagination of the prequels. Stunningly linear, and with a mess of an interface, too many buttons and innapropriate minmal-futuristic design. Walking off an edge will leave you walking into an invisible wall, you have to drop down with X which removes all tension from being somewhere up high. Listen we know new players don't know who the hammerites are. But do you know what? When we all played Thief 1 for the first time, neither did we. Somehow we managed, we became fascinated.

Wiggle your finger on this button to open a window. Everytime you squeeze through a small gap (cutscene, obviously) There's the exact same piece of wood waiting to be moved no matter where in the game you are. So you hammer a button which is somehow meant to replicate the physical effort of moving a wooden beam or window. And don't get me started on the horrendous 3D wall climbing which takes you completely out of character.

The handholding is extremely grating. Everywhere you can mantle has been swarthed in white paint, no matter whether in the city, in a church, or in an ancient ruin, somehow that paint got there. A question for developers: How do you think players of previous thief games worked out they could mantle up something. That's right. They looked at it and used their brain, thus creating the game aspect. To see some white paint and think. Ok, they're telling me this is the way now, is not fun.

The only redeeming feature is that it's very much a stealth experience. Just completely lacking thief atmosphere or personality.

tldr; They threw away everything interesting about the thief universe, then ruined the gameplay. Enjoy.
  79. Apr 8, 2014
    yet another AAA crap... yet another rip off of the old game... absolute garbage... the worst thief game ever made... this crap is an insult to the original Thief series...
  80. May 10, 2014
    This being the first Thief game I've played, and having no knowledge about the last ones, I admit that I don't have past experiences with Thief games to compare this one to.

I was so excited to play this game after seeing the trailer that made it look way better than it actually was. I was disappointed. The game has so many flaws, including the fact that you CAN'T JUMP. You can only jump when there are certain objects, in a certain spot, of a certain height, right in front of you. Also, when you're standing on a roof or high wooden plank, you can't fall off. The game does this idiotic thing where Garrett just crouches over the edge and won't move unless you make him. That takes away any challenge or risk of falling off. It misses the whole point of being up high. The "tips" portion of the loading screen always hints to "search around the city, because you never know what you might find." Trust me, it's completely predictable what you'll find; useless gold coins and cheap cups and silverware that'll take hours of picking up to actually accumulate enough money to buy something. Also, do NOT get into a fight with the guards. Garrett is unrealistically weak, and you have almost no chance of winning if you're fighting more than one person without using food that you barely have enough of, because your inventory can only be so small.
    The graphics are terrible. We live in 2014!!! They could have easily made the graphics so much clearer. It looks like they just got lazy.
    The story line is weak, doesn't add up, and so many things don't make sense or are left out. You find yourself thinking "But what happened to ____?" or "What was the point of that entire scene?"

What I disliked most about the game was probably the fact that guards can detect you, chase you, CLEARLY SEE where you ran off to, and then forget where you went just a second later. If someone watches you run and hide in a closet, they somehow have no idea where you went, and don't bother to check anywhere. Also, you can have the entire city after you one second, hide for a minute or two, go back outside, and everyone forgot that anything happened.

Save your money and wait for an actual game that's worth what you paid for.
  81. Mar 7, 2014
    This is a bland , linear and above all, tear-your-hair out frustrating game that doesn't deserve to be on anyone's shelf, and if it has found it's way to your collection somehow, pray that someone 'steals' this abomination. It's impossible to sneak your way through levels and stick to the shadows since all the levels are designed to cramp your style due to the claustrophobic nature of theThis is a bland , linear and above all, tear-your-hair out frustrating game that doesn't deserve to be on anyone's shelf, and if it has found it's way to your collection somehow, pray that someone 'steals' this abomination. It's impossible to sneak your way through levels and stick to the shadows since all the levels are designed to cramp your style due to the claustrophobic nature of the places you'll visit. The game feels clunky and unpolished... I honestly enjoyed playing Rambo more than Thief. The loading times....just god-awful, every 5 minutes it seems there's an interruption and voila, you'll be staring at a progress bar again and again. There's no jump button...in 2014, I mean this isn't zelda ffs, if you are going to make a realistic game with some minor paranormal overtones then why remove a basic trait that all people with two healthy legs can accomplish? If Adam Jensen can jump, then why can't Garrett?

The voice acting is ok but at times it's drowned out by the music OR the characters' conversations get stuck in a loop and you're forced to listen to the same phrase repeated 20 times in succession. "if they have a cure for the gloom, I'll put up with the throng to get my hands on it"....Try listening to that repeatedly without getting annoyed.

All the side-missions are the same, basically you're looking for a 2X4 that you can latch a rope arrow to which eventually leads to a window you must open with a crowbar and steal the loot. There's virtually no variation in any of them. Boring as fukk. Also, if I fire 5 fire arrows into an enemy, you'd expect them to go down , dead on the spot. Not the case here, as one blow to the head from a blackjack is more effective than 5 piercing arrows doused in flame.

The animations are sub-par as well, Garret and the rest of the lot barely make a facial gesture that resembles normal human emotion.... Performance is ok, but it's disappointing that Mantle wasn't released for AMD graphics card optimization because it was promised by the developer.

All in all, you guys should not invest any time in this, just spend more time with your girlfriends instead. Peace.
  82. Apr 1, 2014
    Well last good thief was thief 2, but this game is really the worst thief game. It has some interesting ideas, but almost every part of this game is sub par. The world looks nice at first, but after a while you will notice how badly done it is.
  83. May 21, 2014
    This game was'nt the best game in fact it's the 2nd worst in the series it's just a little open world that's really confusing and there's really not a lot stuff to buy with the money you collect. The 1st mission was fantastic it had a jewelry store and in it was guards a safe and a ton of loot and the best part is it's optional and felt right into the story then it all went down hill withThis game was'nt the best game in fact it's the 2nd worst in the series it's just a little open world that's really confusing and there's really not a lot stuff to buy with the money you collect. The 1st mission was fantastic it had a jewelry store and in it was guards a safe and a ton of loot and the best part is it's optional and felt right into the story then it all went down hill with bad voice acting clunking aminations and the open world got boring after the 1st hour and all of looked the same. Still it was a nice change of pace and the stealth was awesome i just wish that they went more in depth into the story the controls and the combat Expand
  84. Mar 10, 2014
    Okay I'll rank this game by five main elements - story, game play, graphics, sound and re-playability.

Story - 4/10 - A really awful story in my opinion. Characters are poorly explained and I felt there was simply no narrative to explain what was happening properly. This game has one of the worst story endings I've ever encountered. The game had its moments where it looked like the writers figured it out but quickly descended back into banality.

Game play - 7/10 - Actually not surprisingly too bad in my opinion. Yes, there are a few frustrating design flaws in the game such as the lack of proper jumping (very dumb decision imo) and the annoying repetitiveness of opening windows all the time. But otherwise, when you're sneaking, this game really is a lot like the other thief games. I found the game play at its worst during some of the "action" scenes - which do not fit the overall game play and feel rather jarring.

Graphics - 8/10 - I didn't find the graphics to be the latest or greatest, but none the less they were very pretty. The artwork in the game was very gothic and I felt it was very professional. It's a shame some of the cutscenes felt very poorly rendered, they never were really impressive like the other thief games (I still get Goosebumps watching the original games cutscenes to this day).

Sound - 3/10 - Awful. Looping dialogue, broken cutscene audio, terrible voice acting, bad sound propagation. Half the time I had no idea where noises were coming from - a real shambles. Sound is what makes the Thief games so damn impressive after many years - sure the graphics of Thief 1 & 2 have aged but their sound engines are still extraordinary compared to most modern games. You could literally close your eyes and hear when a guard was approaching, you could hear every tile under your feet as you tiptoed around banks and cathedrals. But this new game fails utterly to recapture that feeling. A terrible shame in my opinion.

Re-playability - 6/10 - I felt the main story of the game was so bad I'd never re-play it again. However the saving grace for this game is the "side missions" that can be played via Basso. Thankfully they don't seem too bad, in fact I felt they were closer to the spirit of the original games than the main story. It was just a shame there aren't enough side missions to save this game from the terrible main storyline.

Overall - based on the five main elements I give this game 28/50 so around 6/10. For me the highlights of this game are the visuals and some of the sneaking game play is fun. But sadly I felt the game was badly let down by a terrible story, unforgivable sound bugs and some very odd design choices.
  85. Mar 10, 2014
    У Thief много проблем. В первую очередь это схема города и выстроенные локации, неудобно соединённы между собой. Несмотря на то, что город безусловно красивый, детальные примечательности, есть где побегать, что поискать, поворовать, но проходить одни и те же перекрёстки с переубитыми несколько раз вражиной, это не айс. Конечно можно стелсить, стелсить одну и туже улицу много много раз, ноУ Thief много проблем. В первую очередь это схема города и выстроенные локации, неудобно соединённы между собой. Несмотря на то, что город безусловно красивый, детальные примечательности, есть где побегать, что поискать, поворовать, но проходить одни и те же перекрёстки с переубитыми несколько раз вражиной, это не айс. Конечно можно стелсить, стелсить одну и туже улицу много много раз, но это неинтересно, да и незачем, статистику не меняет, концовку не портит. Квесты брать долго. Второй момент — простой сценарий, на 2-4 стр. Истории героев, их характер, раскрывается очень вяло, а ведь было где развернуться. Стелс-загадки слабо завлекают.

Что хорошо. Графика, свет, цвет, технологично, приятно, несмотря на некоторые проблемы с оптимизацией. Прекрасный саундтрек и звук, погружает, отлично. Общее окружение, город, улицы, замечательно. Город, не openworld, но побродить есть, где.

Итого, что-то упустили, другое прекрасно сделали. Концовка оставила впечатление не до конца рассказанной истории. Жаль.
  86. Mar 7, 2014
    The art direction is nice.

The art direction is nice.

Unfortunately, that is the only positive point I can give Thief. For want of a better word, this game is terrible. Starting a game unceremoniously plonks you in a brightly lit room with an unconcious man. Garret mutters something about there being too much light before proceeding to pocket everything that isn't nailed down (scissors? really? who's going to buy stolen scissors?) A few handy dandy objective markers later and Garret is being shoe-horned through a window onto a narrow beam. Don't worry about falling off the beam, kids; our good friends at Squeenix have made that impossible. At the end of the beam is a window into which you will need to jam your trust crowbar in and mash the action button frantically to open. Apparently, this is the only way to open any window in the game, even ones you've jimmied open already. Anyway, continuing on leads you to a room full of birdcages and birds, Garrett gently guides you through the process of disabling a tricky painting lock, someone gets noisy on the roof and a roof chase with all the hallmarks of a rickety old ghost ride ensues. Throw in a few cut scenes for good measure.

Rinse and repeat.

Thief isn't so much a game as it a dull, repetitive hidden object game where nothing is really hidden. Everything is scripted and described prior to actual occurrence, so there's never any threat of having to think for yourselves. Stealth is achieved as long as you don't do anything so remarkably stupid as to run about in the light, and even then combat is easily evaded so long as you make it to a window. Mario tiptoeing past a sleeping pirhana plant exhibited better stealth mechanics than thief does. Avoid like the plague. Do not waste your money.
  87. Mar 16, 2014
    First of if you rated the game higher tan say a 7 [generous] you don't know what you are talking about. Having played thief games before Let me first say that the dialogue rates an F-, characters that repeat the same lines over and over every couple seconds? Are you bloody serious? Worst I have ever encountered in any game. Then the lack of effort they put into the game, stealing dozens ofFirst of if you rated the game higher tan say a 7 [generous] you don't know what you are talking about. Having played thief games before Let me first say that the dialogue rates an F-, characters that repeat the same lines over and over every couple seconds? Are you bloody serious? Worst I have ever encountered in any game. Then the lack of effort they put into the game, stealing dozens of pens, letter openers and tea cups etc. Really? What a complete lack of effort and imagination. With the technology available and the open sandbox worlds such as Fallout and Assassin's Creed I expected far more than the small maps presented. It is supposed to be a city not a small village. Though the rooftop mazes were a nice touch. Making Garrets mechanical eye a limited use ability was also a foolish gimmick. Then there is the insulting lack of continuity with almost no reference to the pagans or hammerites or keepers. Even as a reboot they should have made honorable mention out of respect if nothing else. And why a reboot at all? I could go on but you get the point. Expand
  88. Apr 23, 2014
    Thief isn't polished enough , I'm hacking thru it as I got it free . It's clunky ,falls short on its story and well just isn't quite there . I was very tempted to buy this for the xbox , I'm glad I didn't . I would've been very disappointed .

don't bother !
  89. Jun 5, 2014
    I really had high expectations for this game since I am a fan of the franchise but wow quite a disappointment. I mean the game had its ups but they were mostly downs. Stealing items felt like a chore and not something exciting or an adventure. Predictable AI is so predictable. Hitman's AI blows this game out of the water. The graphics were pretty good which is probably the high point ofI really had high expectations for this game since I am a fan of the franchise but wow quite a disappointment. I mean the game had its ups but they were mostly downs. Stealing items felt like a chore and not something exciting or an adventure. Predictable AI is so predictable. Hitman's AI blows this game out of the water. The graphics were pretty good which is probably the high point of this game. The world also felt so restricted and empty. This game feels like they really rushed it and got an incomplete, unpolished game before the deadline. I just hope they next game, if there ever is one, to be a more polished and well-thought out Thief game. Expand
  90. Jun 23, 2014
    Really wasn't that great. I'm kind of sad I bought it for it's opening price. It brings stealth and all that, but something just feels missing. Like a few other reviews say, if you're new to the franchise, go for it. It may be fun for you. But for those of us who have played the original Thief Gold and The Metal Age, I'd recommend you steer clear. It doesn't stay very true to the originals at all.
  91. Mar 7, 2014
    To sum things up. The levels are pathetic small, especially the bank heist mission. Way to much context sensitive interaction and cut scenes that draw you out of character. Even reading in game documents your drawn into a simple menu screen that lacks the flavor of the old ingame gumps. There is a good foundation here and the game is not horrible, the small client missions retain some ofTo sum things up. The levels are pathetic small, especially the bank heist mission. Way to much context sensitive interaction and cut scenes that draw you out of character. Even reading in game documents your drawn into a simple menu screen that lacks the flavor of the old ingame gumps. There is a good foundation here and the game is not horrible, the small client missions retain some of the old thief feel that the main story missions completely miss but they don't save the game. Here's hoping for more refined sequel. Expand
  92. Jan 18, 2015
    Yet another classic franchise ruined by AAA publisher "sensibilities."

I grew up with the Thief games. And to see it turned into this hackneyed abomination is just heartbreaking. They lobotomized the city by removing the interesting factions. The removed the majority of the color. They removed ALL of the humor. They... Ugh, you know what? Just google some reviews of this turd on
    Yet another classic franchise ruined by AAA publisher "sensibilities."

Ugh, you know what? Just google some reviews of this turd on stealth gaming websites. They'll explain it better, without a 5000 character limit.
  93. Mar 11, 2014
    Thief has never been the right title for this series; Kleptomaniac would be more appropriate. These games have always been a quandary for me as I enjoy stealth games but hate the incessant collecting of loot in RPGs. With this reboot I saw the chance to build on what made the originals tense and addictive, and get rid of the repetitive game play dictated by the restrictions of earlierThief has never been the right title for this series; Kleptomaniac would be more appropriate. These games have always been a quandary for me as I enjoy stealth games but hate the incessant collecting of loot in RPGs. With this reboot I saw the chance to build on what made the originals tense and addictive, and get rid of the repetitive game play dictated by the restrictions of earlier hardware.
    What we end up with is the exact opposite. The minute to minute game play is just as tedious as the previous iterations, but where those had a unique aesthetic, large open levels and great sound design, this has countless loading screens and truly awful sound that is nearly always useless at letting you know where NPCs are located (more important than visuals in a first person stealth game). The story manages to be bland and ridiculous at the same time (quite a feat) and all the characters are dull.
    All that being said, some of the side missions are quite interesting and rewarding to play and at times manage to capture the spirit of earlier titles. These missions could have brought the score to a six if it wasn't for the last third of the campaign. My god, what a mess.
    In the last third you have a new enemy to contend with (I think they are called freaks) that have esp. You cannot sneak up on these creature without them being aware of your presence, and they sense when you use focus which nullifies most of you abilities. The absolute worst crime though, is the inclusion of TWO boss battles. Criminal in a stealth game.
    In summing up; Thief is a game that has aped many games, including it's predecessors, but has learned nothing from any of them.
  94. Oct 18, 2014
    So here I am, playing thief because I loved the previous titles and although I'm fairly disappointed by the action elements in it (When did Thief become a platform game?) I was enjoying the game....
    Until I hit an actual boss fight (Yes in Thief!, next boss fight in Civilizations, Settlers or the Sims?) where you're not able to save at all.
    Considering I turned on a lot of options off to
    Considering I turned on a lot of options off to come closer to the real thief experience I find it impossible to continue the game.
    So after 7 chapters playing I found out that I should have kept those options on because Thief has turned into an action game with un-savable boss fights.
    Now I understand all those negative reviews.......R.I.P Thief franchise
  95. Mar 10, 2014
    Hi, I have been playing PC games since 1995. I have played all previous Thief games within the franchise, which I thoroughly enjoyed and I eagerly awaited this re-release.

Please take this as a warning to save your money and stop supporting developers and game publishers from release garbage like this and charging 50 USD for the privilege. This sale of this game is an act of theft in itself, with yet another bastardisation of a successful Franchise, such as we have seen with Diablo 3, COD franchise, BF4, etc.

Or if you really enjoy linear games, where you have no freedom to choose your path, love repetitive cut scenes and you enjoy collecting ashtrays and paperweights as 'treasure' - then please go right ahead.
  96. Apr 3, 2014
    Running into guards has no consequences, the mechanics/key configurations for PC are junk, the audio is off, and the clipping interface in some areas are just awful (I can't walk over a 3 millimeter difference in flooring? wtf?). There really isn't a redeeming thing about this game.

Just to clarify what I mean by no consequence, I mean you are in one room and alert the guards, just run into the next room. Even though there are guards in there, they won't react to the screams and warnings of the guards from the previous room. They'll just do their thing and wonder about nothing, because they're brain dead.
  97. Feb 26, 2014
    I had a big expectation about this 'Thief' reboot.But as a fan of the old game, I think it has delivered fairly but not lived up to the level I expected. Thief has some awkward design choices like:
    I can't jump or climb in my own way. Only the character will automatically climb up or jump from some ledges whereas in some cases it will not. It makes the movement to feel a bit artificial.
    Also in some cases I have to wait almost 5 minutes but still the guards will patrol in the same small area in same manner and I have nothing but to kill them which causes detection.
    Now coming to the positive sides, using the shadows and the fabulous 'Swoop' ability, remaining undetected is really satisfying.
    The game gives a high level of customization options to play as I wish, like I can turn the 'Focus' ability completely off and there are plenty of other options and the game favors this by rewarding.Also the graphics and world-detail is pretty good.
    I had great hope from Eidos after playing Deus Ex Human Revolution which is among the best games I have ever played. But it feels that even being under action-rpg genre, Deus Ex HR was a more satisfying stealth game than Thief. Overall I am happy to play the game as a stealth-game fan but the game had opportunity to give us something more.
  98. Mar 1, 2014
    Quite a disappointment. In this installment, instead of feeling like a master theif you creep around and steel candle sticks, ink bottles, pens, and scissors. My my, I want to meet the person who thought that was a good idea. The controls are lacking, this would probably fare better as a 3rd person game. The AI are incredibly stupid, In that you can be crouched right next to them andQuite a disappointment. In this installment, instead of feeling like a master theif you creep around and steel candle sticks, ink bottles, pens, and scissors. My my, I want to meet the person who thought that was a good idea. The controls are lacking, this would probably fare better as a 3rd person game. The AI are incredibly stupid, In that you can be crouched right next to them and they won't even see you, not even if you are 10 feet in front of their faces. Numerous gameplay issues with, animation, AI are all present. I couldn't progress because an NPC was stuck in a doorway just spinning in circles, or couldn't switch my weapons after I switched to the bottle and could do nothing until I threw it.

Not very well done.
  99. Mar 12, 2014
    This game is so boring. You're stuck in corridors and literally walk around grabbing little cups and stuff. I installed it with high hopes after watching the trailers and reading reviews but regret every penny I spent.
  100. Mar 27, 2014
    Most worst screenplay ever! Game is not so bad, but "genius" of Rhianna Pratchett crosses all. Enough relaunches of good old games. Eidos should hire a good scenarist and develop new titles.

1. May 11, 2014
    Not the best brand relaunch ever, but forgetting the great predecessors, it's a decent game of its own. [March 2014]
  2. Apr 9, 2014
    It may not be a traditional Thief game and the story may be awful but there's still some great stealth to be had. [May 2014, p.66]
    This new Thief does a lot things right but can still be rather clumsy at times. Definitely worth trying, though. [Issue #240]