4.7

1. Sep 6, 2012
    I find it hard to actually call this a game. It has point and click elements, but none of them are of any consequence or make any difference upon the outcome. Its essentially an art-house movie made of box-like characters. Its cute and has some sophistication, but it lasts 5 minutes and while you get the feeling of playing a game you are really just passing through a scene. I was at "the end" and restarted a few times, assuming I did something wrong. Its entertaining but should be free in my opinion. Expand
  2. Sep 6, 2012
    I feel somewhat conflicted every time I think back to my experience with this title. Engaging and intriguing, Thirty Flights of Loving is a bite sized dose of methodically and expertly crafted narrative. You'll be confused and disappointed, but also transfixed with the puzzle of riddling out what truly happened on your fifteen minute journey. Were this game free or less ridiculously priced I would give it an eight and be on my way, but such a high tag for such little 'game' cannot be ignored. Give it a go if experimental narratives fill you with glee, but seriously consider the price for value ratio if the previous statement does not apply to you. Expand
  3. Nov 14, 2012
    I'm a proud supporter of indie games. I had some spare money lying around in my Steam wallet and I decided I'd take a gamble and get a couple games. I was not expecting to be "blown-away" by this game, but i was expecting it to be unique, interesting and fun. Most of all I was expecting to be able to enjoyably play it for at least a couple hours worth of time. How wrong and disappointed I was. The story lasts approximately 20 minutes and there is no replayability to it. What makes the medium of art and story telling that is known as "video games" is their ability to let the user interact with the game. The level of interaction introduced in this game is dreadful; Google Earth is more interactive and it's free. I not only spent more time at the beginning just tweaking the graphics, but in the end I also enjoyed setting up my graphics more than the actual game. If you are looking for a good indie game of some sort, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Go buy something like Machinarium or LIMBO. Expand
  4. Nov 30, 2012
    Honestly. This "game" is nothing more than a cheap way for the producer to get money. It could've easily been made into a short cartoon and posted on youtube. In fact that would've been better. At least then I wouldn't have felt so cheated afterwords. The only people who seem to like this scam are the kind of people who stare at modern art and pretend like they understand what the artist was trying convey. Just watch a play through on youtube and save yourself the time and the money.. Expand
  5. Jan 20, 2013
    As an artist I can understand people using 'games' as a form of artistic expression and what not but this was pushing it. In short, it is a 5 minute walk through scene. I would not even call it a game and to me it felt like they created an intro with end credits but forgot to add in the middle part. I've played 'artistic' games like Dear Esther and The Path both of which played like the creators put a lot of thought and effort into an over all nice experience that made you really think about what was going on while leaving it's impression on you. However with this....'game' i walked up to the 'The end' block and seriously thought they were joking. The only impression I got left with here was complete disappointment.

the short scene it's self is rather nice but had it been really drawn out more over maybe a good hour or two, i would have been able to appreciate it more. There were games made in the 48 hour game festival more captivating and content full then this. I don't honestly believe this took more then a week to make.

Oh and the whole 'it's indie and cheap' thing does not excuse this. Just because it's an indie game doesn't mean they can make any crap they want and it's 'ok because it's indie.' I'm sorry but i am just too disappointed to be susceptible to this incredibly short story...
  6. Sep 12, 2012
    I'm a bit shocked by the high scores that critics gave this.. experiment. I will give the 'game' credit that its style is mildly charming and the story it was telling could have 'become' interesting. That is the end of my praise. It is so incredibly short that I can't believe they opted to charge money for it. I felt like someone had come in and stolen 5 dollars out of my pocket when the credits rolled. Also, for the very little time you're playing you have no impact on the story. It's a straight hallway where you can't even so much as walk 10 feet away from the predetermined paths.

I honestly question whether the 'experimental' part of this was the gameplay or seeing how little work they could put into a game and still get away with charging money for it.
  7. Dec 28, 2012
    This is a neat tech demo, as it would be a very good way to tell a story... but the story given is not complete. There's only half a story (and not a good one at then), then it ends after literally 15 minutes.

I would recommend this if it were free (not as good as Stanley Parable, but still cool), but my god do not pay money for this.
  8. Dec 28, 2012
    Don't bother me with your "art game". Please, I love original games like journey, to the moon, Dear Esther etc. But this is not art. This is intellectual masturbation. 10 min of nothing, 5$ less for charity.
  9. Sep 23, 2012
    It tells a tale so well that it can make you feel in just 30 minutes. The user review section is proving to be just as useless as any other. Please play this game knowing that it is a defiant anti-game that won't give you any great game play. It is here just to show what amazing things can be done with story telling in a first person game. It shows that games shouldn't always be about the grind but should be gripping and something to have a conversation about. Don't play looking for something easy. Expand
  10. Dec 27, 2012
    This game is beyond awful. I can't believe I paid money for this. No amount of "art game" talk can cover up the fact that this isn't in any way interesting to "play" or interact with. It also crashes often.
  11. Oct 6, 2012
    One of the few times where the artsy game critics and people's voice differ greatly.
    I wouldn't recommend this game to a single friend. There's so much better out there. Not impressed at all.
  12. Dec 25, 2012
    This game is a crazy jumble of nothing. Its construction is sh!tty, its plot is non-existent and its characters are flat. Nothing about the content of the game moves you to play on or to feel interested in any way. You are thrown into a scene and world that has no background other than a quick run-down of your companions skills through bold text and vague jump-cut scenes which depict moments before and after a heist. Nothing is explained to you, which may have been alright had they not chosen to skip around chronologically while also leaving out key points of the plot (i.e. the game is about a heist, but you never even see that occur or participate in it). But since they did, the viewer gets jerked around and has to make sense of mundane or confusing moments that have no dialogue or text for explication. So now you're playing through a second time, wondering if there's any point at all, but all you're finding is a completely non-interactive world with a mildly interesting art style. in fact, the mildly interesting art style is the only thing that earns this title a single point. The critics write reviews saying it's good that this game doesn't hold your hand or act like a normal game- well it's not. Why don't other games base themselves entirely on jump-cuts? Because they're not avant garde enough? No. They don't do that because making a game that way wouldn't make any sense and it would rob the game of it's story and details. That is exactly what happens with TFOL. Also, what does Thirty Flights of Loving mean? Is it referencing the fact that they own a plane? That the characters are in love? Who knows! It's just a non-sense title to go right along with a non-sense game. You go into TFOL wondering what kind of experience you will get because the trailer is well constructed and the art style looks interesting, but you leave confused and annoyed because the end comes too quickly and you're still wondering what the point was. This game is basically bad sex. The only reason I see this getting a good review is that there are a handful of people who thought it was good and everyone else is too embarrassed to look stupid disagreeing with those people because they're considered "professional" opinions. This feels like the era of shock art where "artists" upset their viewers and tell them that what they've seen and experienced is both good and art. Spoiler alert: It isn't. Save yourself a few dollars and go do something enjoyable. Or if you really want, you could also pay someone to slap you in the face- that is the equivalent of what you'll be doing in buying this game anyway, only you'll actually save some time just paying for the slap. Expand
  13. Jan 6, 2013
    What the hell was that ? It's not a game at all and i don't understand why peoples loves this and how it manages to makes money. I think this is the worst thing i played ever. Save yourself some money and go see a walkthrough on youtube, it's as interactive as the full game.
  14. Nov 30, 2012
    It's very indie, but there is something about Thirty Flights of Loving that I love. I'm not sure exactly what it is, to be honest. Maybe, the simple fact that so much work is put into 30 minutes of gameplay? Maybe, the livelihood of the worlds they create? Maybe, the "You wake up and see yourself sleeping" type stories? I'm not sure, but I think everyone can find something to love in this game.
  15. Aug 22, 2012
    Yes, the praise reviews are giving this game is accurate. It's a carefully made, non-linear story played through in disjointed pieces. It's usually all played through in one session. It's clever and charming. Frankly, however, the now free-to-download Gravity Bone was more engaging, and free. Try Gravity Bone, and if you LOVE it, buy this game expecting the same experience with a little more story and a little less game. Otherwise, and I'm on this side, it's not worth the $5 for the 10 minutes it offers, regardless of how funny and creative this game really is. Just watch a let's play and you'll get the exact same experience. Expand
  16. Nov 3, 2012
    This is more a lightly interactive short film than a game. It's packed with fun ideas, it's relatively well executed, and there's nothing else like it. But it's also very, very brief, and not quite as clever or essential as the critics have made it out to be.

It's not really worth £4, but neither is a pint of beer in Central London.
  17. Dec 3, 2012
    The main gripe is fairly accurate, $5 for 10 minutes of entertainment is pushing it. But, if you are a fan of Dear Esther, Home, The Path, Fatale and similar, this one is up there in newness and difference. A narrative that has some lovely moments, but alas requiring little interaction by you except to push things along. Enjoy the 10 minutes and think, odd but amusing.
  18. Dec 4, 2012
    A flawless experience that needs no other comment, but metacritic reviews must be at least 150 characters long. This game understands brevity - metacritic doesn't.
  19. Nov 26, 2012
    The pure, unfiltered weirdness of this "game" made me think of something a lonely 14-year-old modder might create out of boredom and I was annoyed by every second of the 15 minutes required to fully experience it. And yet there's no denying that it was a memorable experience. It doesn't really work as a game but I keep thinking that Chung might actually be a visionary who still hasn't found the right way to realize his ideas. Who knows what he'll surprise us with in a few years? Expand
  20. Dec 27, 2012
    Over rated. I think that best describes my experience with 30 flights of loving. It seems that you can throw anything radical at critics these days and they will have a proverbial orgy over it so they don't look unintelligent and I think the fear of looking stupid has contributed to this games undeservedly high meta critic score. if you're looking for a half hour experience you may have to repeat in order to fully understand, sure but don't expect any closure, there is a basic story that you will have to think about and look around for but nothing amazing honestly. Expand
  21. Oct 6, 2012
    This is an interactive story. Not much of a game but it tells a story in an interesting way. Whilst I would recommend a play through I'm not sure it's with £3.99. Although if you have played any of the other Blendo Games' games, several of which are still freely available on their website, then it's easier to justify the big outlay for such a short game.
  22. Nov 6, 2012
    This is NOT a game, and I cannot believe the high Metascore which this has attracted. The MUCH lower user scores are very telling.
    This is a self-indulgent w**k-fest, full of "in jokes" which aren't funny - or even jokes - and nobody should even care about as this piece of software is generally very poorly-constructed and CRASHES FREQUENTLY!
    There's just no excuse... Using an engine
    which is over a DECADE old, I gained precisely no enjoyment from this dross and want my money back.
    Avoid, avoid, avoid.
  23. Jan 16, 2013
    This game is a total fraud and I'd like slap some sense into the Metacritics for suckering me into purchasing this game. It's not even a game. In a game, you have some control over something somewhere somehow. This is a crappy flash movie where you press "W" instead of "Play". The story is totally cliche and boring. You keep waiting for the twist, the punchline, the epiphany, the revelation, and then BAM, "The End". What?!? 10 minutes does not a game make. Thirty Flights of Loving is a stain on the reputation of indie games. It should be called Ninety Megabytes of Nothing. Expand
  24. Jan 12, 2013
    The first one "Gravity Bone" was much much better. The commentary was nice but my second play through crashed near the end. I do not think I will attempt to play it again.
  25. Oct 15, 2013
    The developer knew the game was going to get bashed on, this game has a very interesting take on transitioning in games, infact I wish more games took this approach. Rather than having a consistent player space where content can indefinitely be admired, the player is trusted threw the narrative with no indication when a transition will happen; creating an interesting flow of player driven direction. Many subtleties will leave your face left with a smile during the developers commentary.

This game is overlooked, and very short, but that's the point. The developer knew that many players would bash the game while leaving a very passionate niche. The game doesn't waste your time with it's very short completion time, and leaves room for re-playability with it's mind-boggling transitions and subtitles. I hope the developer doesn't read this because I haven't played it enough to completely wrap my mind around the game, but there is much to be desired.

Thirty Flights of Loving is worth your time and money if you have the ability to differentiate video games from interactive media.
  26. Nov 20, 2012
    In several minutes the game had ended but i knew all of the story. Sure the game is very short but its worth it if you have cash in your pockets.
  27. Jan 20, 2013
    Only 15 minutes long. It's just a story, not a game. Avoid or you will be sorry. Most expensive game per minute I've ever bought. I want my GD money back, you will too.
  28. Jan 21, 2013
    I am at a loss describing why this isn't free. There is nothing about this that evokes game and even as a story it's not interesting... Check the user ratings compared to critics. This is as pretentious as it gets
  29. Oct 23, 2013
    [Thirty Flights of Loving Steam PC Score 9]
    A five minute Quentin Tarantino game movie an interactive movie trailer between Pumpkin and Honey Bunny; Yeah no sh*t five minutes only. Do you make games you figure out how to fit this into a game as an interlude hilarious and intense potential. Check this out (2bucks/steam)
  30. Jan 12, 2013
    Had I paid more than $2.50, I might have been frustrated by the ridiculously small amount of content in this game and I'm pretty sure there isn't even $2.50 worth based on the quantity or the "quality" of the graphics. When I read the reviews before buying it, I thought the claims of 5-15 minutes of gameplay were the usual reviewer exaggerations, but the game is really that short! Double it because it comes with its equally short prequel, Gravity Bone. Yet, for all its brevity and infantile graphics, there's something to this game: little twists in the plot that you don't see coming and a storytelling style that feels a bit like a 1960s psychological drama. As the extremely skewed reviews show, this isn't a game for everyone. You have to come at it like a wine tasting. Sure you pay too much for a small glass, but you get a taste of something you don't get every day. If you're an aficionado of the subtle things that go into a game and not just playing the games, you'll probably get something out of it. If you're looking for a game for the sake of playing it and you want a bang for your buck, you need to look elsewhere. Collapse
  31. Jan 12, 2013

Thirty Flights bets on and is transcended by, emotion. It’s part of a newly-arrived scene (fronted by the beautiful Dear Esther from Chinese Room) that attempts to blur the lines between gaming and art. You are given the tools to live a story that was written for you. Whether it will win you or not, rests completely upon your actions. [October 2012]
  2. Jan 7, 2013
    Condensed into thirteen minutes of play, Thirty Flights of Loving is a really interesting story.
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    Thirty Flights of Loving is as refreshing as it is alienating. The series of short scenes take you on a bizarre roller coaster ride, on which you unfortunately have little influence.