8.1

1. Jun 6, 2013
    This game is great. It shows perfectly how you can have fun with just a few blocks. There are a lot of puzzles in this game, but the downside is the difficulty of the game. the re-playability is also quite low.
  2. Aug 27, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone is a very simple game with a solid narrative and very good voice acting on the part of the narrator. Unfortunately, the game itself is extremely simple, with later levels failing to really live up to their potential, and the game is very short, a mere three hours long and if it were any longer it would be bad indeed.
    The game is a very reasonable use of your time, but
    The game is a very reasonable use of your time, but you should pay a price commensurate with the idea that you will play it once, for about three hours, then never play it again once you have played it, there is no reason to ever play it again.
  3. May 31, 2013
    Simplistic, artistic and enjoyable. This game is clean and simple but really beautiful, with simplistic but likable characters with a decent narration. The narration to me was just okay and not as great as what others have rated it to be, at times funny and witty. Apart from that the soundtrack helps immerse yourself into this world and felt really good with the game. One thing I did notSimplistic, artistic and enjoyable. This game is clean and simple but really beautiful, with simplistic but likable characters with a decent narration. The narration to me was just okay and not as great as what others have rated it to be, at times funny and witty. Apart from that the soundtrack helps immerse yourself into this world and felt really good with the game. One thing I did not like was that it did not have as much puzzle aspects as I would like it to have, having some well-timed-or-else-you-are-dead scenarios which annoyed me a bit. Overall, would recommend as a simple game. Expand
  4. Aug 22, 2013
    I'm sorry. I kept telling myself I was enjoying it, I kept telling myself I was having a good time, but I was not. This game just has generic platformer gameplay with some decent dialogue on the side. Portal 2 for example has amazing gameplay and amazing dialogue. Sure it wasn't an indie game, but we have seen *cough*minecraft*cough* that indie games can have incredible gameplay. I suggestI'm sorry. I kept telling myself I was enjoying it, I kept telling myself I was having a good time, but I was not. This game just has generic platformer gameplay with some decent dialogue on the side. Portal 2 for example has amazing gameplay and amazing dialogue. Sure it wasn't an indie game, but we have seen *cough*minecraft*cough* that indie games can have incredible gameplay. I suggest you try this game out because many people enjoy it, I am in no way saying you should not get this game, I am simply saying I don't like it myself. Expand
  5. Aug 4, 2013
    3 to 5 hour game, 100% done, mediocre story that’s supposed to be deep but just comes off as pretentious, and gameplay that gets old if you’re used to 2d platformers, the voice acting’s very good but not enough to hold up the game. 4.5/10
  6. Mar 24, 2013
    Leading this fellowship of square and rectangles, each with their unique skill and character, through the 90 levels was certainly a fascinating video-game experience. Loved the visuals and the soundtrack. Simple and captivating storytelling. Although the game mechanics gets repetitive soon and the puzzle are honestly too easy for an average gamer, a really positive impression, definitelyLeading this fellowship of square and rectangles, each with their unique skill and character, through the 90 levels was certainly a fascinating video-game experience. Loved the visuals and the soundtrack. Simple and captivating storytelling. Although the game mechanics gets repetitive soon and the puzzle are honestly too easy for an average gamer, a really positive impression, definitely worth the money. Expand
  7. May 29, 2013
    In Thomas Was Alone, you basically solve a few simplistic puzzles while a British guy narrates some sort of story to you and explains how the boxes you control somehow have feelings and you should care about them. It doesn't work very well. Half way through the game, I gave up trying to figure out what the guy was saying and piece it all together. I was left with an extremely genericIn Thomas Was Alone, you basically solve a few simplistic puzzles while a British guy narrates some sort of story to you and explains how the boxes you control somehow have feelings and you should care about them. It doesn't work very well. Half way through the game, I gave up trying to figure out what the guy was saying and piece it all together. I was left with an extremely generic puzzle-platformer. Each puzzle is basically the same, you use the boxes to jump on each other in one order or another until you get to the end. It's boring and uninspiring. The graphics are very simple, just blocks and really no texture at all. The music is just ambiance playing in the background, which is easily the best part of the game. On top of it all, you're gonna be paying $10 for a 3-4 hour long game with no replay value whatsoever. It wasn't a bad game per se, just totally unoriginal and bland. Only diehard puzzle-platformer fans should think about giving this game a go. Expand
  8. AWG
    Jun 30, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone has great graphics and outstanding music but also a very frustrating gameplay (you spend most of your time switching among characters rather than actually trying to solve the puzzles). The story seems to be very interesting but since only English language is supported I missed it almost entirely (too busy switching among characters, couldn't get enough attention to the subtitles).
  9. Sep 4, 2013
    Worth playing for the quality of the narration. Graphics are minimalistic throughout the game, there's absolutely nothing remarkable about them. The gameplay is standard-to-innovative puzzle platforming. Far from the most exciting gameplay I've played this year. Many segments seem like filler, included to make the story work. The story was good for a video game. I didn't finish the game,Worth playing for the quality of the narration. Graphics are minimalistic throughout the game, there's absolutely nothing remarkable about them. The gameplay is standard-to-innovative puzzle platforming. Far from the most exciting gameplay I've played this year. Many segments seem like filler, included to make the story work. The story was good for a video game. I didn't finish the game, but the story didn't involve me as much as expected. Maybe a second, full playthrough will reveal some quality I've missed. Slightly above mediocre game, albeit impressively original in some ways. Expand
  10. Jun 3, 2013
    Everything storytelling, graphics, music, sound everything is very simple, but is still beautiful and works great. Now for the gameplay. It seems like the creator of this video game had endless possibilities for great puzzles, because every rectangle has a really unique ability. But the puzzles are all simple usually you don't even have to think twice. As a game, Thomas Was Alone isEverything storytelling, graphics, music, sound everything is very simple, but is still beautiful and works great. Now for the gameplay. It seems like the creator of this video game had endless possibilities for great puzzles, because every rectangle has a really unique ability. But the puzzles are all simple usually you don't even have to think twice. As a game, Thomas Was Alone is just nice, but nothing more. Expand
  11. Nov 28, 2013
    Pros:- Minimalist design looks awesome
    - Great character development
    - A litte addictive because you want to -Very interesting and cool narrative. It's certainly a superb way to tell a story; Cons: but in the paper the story is just not that good - Boring and easy puzzles, which is where you spend most of your attention. I just find myself wanting the puzzles to end fast so I
    Pros:- Minimalist design looks awesome
    - Great character development
    - A litte addictive because you want to

Cons: but in the paper the story is just not that good
    - Boring and easy puzzles, which is where you spend most of your attention. I just find myself wanting the puzzles to end fast so I could know more about the story
    - No replay value
    - Controls could be better
  12. Aug 29, 2017
    I liked this game quite much, it's fun and simple, but it gets kind of deep. I don't know how a game about boxes can get deep, but i felt that the different boxes grew on me x) I spent a lot of time in this game, i explored, tried to get the achievements, but i gave up. it's worth a play.
  13. Dec 29, 2012
    For a bunch of quadrilaterals, Thomas and friends have an awful lot of personality. Each character has different traits and, through excellent narration, very varied personalities. All without any more distinguishing features than the lengths of their sides and their colours.

This is surely the biggest success of the game - to make you care about a bunch of otherwise "boring old" shapes.

Gameplay itself is a lot of fun. A few tricky areas punctuate an otherwise simple selection of puzzles, each designed to introduce you to a new dynamic by way of a new character. You will explore each of their interactions with each other and with the environment as you guide them to the goal. They will need to work together to overcome the varied hazards in their way.

The story grips you and urges you to push on to the end, with some clever twists throughout as the guys learn about the world around them and their place in it.

Special mention should go to the soundtrack too - surely a masterpiece of atmosphere, perfectly finishing an all-round polished game.

It should also be added that - judging by his comments on Twitter and the game's Steam forum, the developer is incredibly humble and proud of his achievement - as well he should be. All in all this is a perfect example to support the argument that videogames ARE art. This guy LOVES his creation, and made it for all the right reasons.

p.s. Claire's my favourite.

1. Aug 29, 2013
    Simple, straightforward and brilliant indie game. Pick it up at a bargain, or even pay full price; it is worth every penny. So well executed - a definite must play for any and everyone.
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    We’ve seen several games this year past e.g. Fez, Spec Ops: The Line, which can truly be said to have advanced the medium, and I wholeheartedly include Thomas Was Alone in that group.
  3. Feb 19, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone’s greatest strengths are in its storytelling and character. In this it fully exceeds, keeping me playing past the point of growing over familiar and dreary of the oft-repeated mechanical themes. But due to this it can be expected that many who start the adventure will never finish it, though, which is certainly a shame.