8.4

1. Jan 15, 2013
    I love platform puzzle games, so I expected to like this game given the excellent reviews. I'm not sure what others like about this game, after finishing around 20 levels I couldn't force myself to play it anymore.
    Calling this a puzzle game would be stretching it, the puzzles are mostly switching between the various characters and jumping on them. This wouldn't be a problem except that
    the game forces you to repeat the same actions again and again. Keyboard control is terrible, particularly for jumping, I don't have a gamepad that the game supports.
    Graphics are very simple, which wasn't a problem for me as I was expecting that. Music is nice, in fact the music was the only thing that was well done in the game.
    If you want a puzzle platformer that is much much better than Thomas was alone, try Toki Tori, that one has inventive puzzles, no story but since when does a puzzle game need a story?
  2. Jan 30, 2014
    This game is over-hyped. Granted i haven't played it through(only halfway) but still, it was simply too frustrating and boring. The movement of the figures is clumsy at best and the gameplay is quite repetetative. Its to highly priced for the amount of playtime you get. You'll get 2-3 hours of irritating play for 8€ which is quite poor compared to other indie games. The graphics are smooth and so is the storytelling but these factors alone does not make a good game. Expand
  3. Jul 6, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone is not good. I'll give it credit for being pretty to look at and modestly pleasant to listen to. Aside from that it's simply a really poor gaming experience. First of all, it's way, way too easy: I think I was only briefly challenged on maybe 5 levels. That leaves 95 that were a total breeze. Even if a solution to a particular puzzle is obvious you still have to waste time wrangling the imprecise controls and swapping between polygonal "characters" as you move them into position over and over again. Towards the end I even ran into a bug that got one block stuck. I had to restart the whole level and painstakingly move around 10 different blocks step by step into the correct spots.

The less said about the "story" the better. The volume level of the narrator's voice fades in and out, making him hard to understand. The script's attempts at humanizing a bunch of polygons is laughable and fails miserably. The ending is a complete enigma, and not in a good way.

In short, skip Thomas Was Alone unless you like games that are short, easy, buggy and generally irritating.

1. Aug 29, 2013
    Simple, straightforward and brilliant indie game. Pick it up at a bargain, or even pay full price; it is worth every penny. So well executed - a definite must play for any and everyone.
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    We’ve seen several games this year past e.g. Fez, Spec Ops: The Line, which can truly be said to have advanced the medium, and I wholeheartedly include Thomas Was Alone in that group.
  3. Feb 19, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone’s greatest strengths are in its storytelling and character. In this it fully exceeds, keeping me playing past the point of growing over familiar and dreary of the oft-repeated mechanical themes. But due to this it can be expected that many who start the adventure will never finish it, though, which is certainly a shame.