8.9

1. Nov 26, 2011
    I was excited to see this game release from when I heard about it awhile ago. It borrows from the style of the 16-bit video game generation of yore, and shows the story of a man on his deathbed, who signs up for a program that can help him relive his life in order to achieve his wish.

His wish? He wants to go to the moon.

If you're anything like me, you're going through the first two
    hours of the game, basically at the brink of bawling like a baby (don't clump me in with those emo kids), with the last thing on your mind having anything to do with the moon. It's a complex story, and the culmination point of it seems farfetched until you let the entire story play before you, and you recognize the beauty of it all.

Let me tell you something. Beauty is a perfect word to describe it. The storytelling is masterful, and complex, and charming. The characters are lovable. You play as the two scientists who assist the man in the pursuit of his dream, and often act as the comic relief for emotionally tense situations. Other times, they show as glimpses of characters who themselves have dark and secreted away emotions and struggles.

The graphics show how aesthetic and detailed something can be when you focus that graphical attention on a style which is otherwise considered to be outdated. If you can masterfully produce something in 16-bit graphics, then you can see it as masterful as someone who built a complicated 3D system. The difference is that you have a much harder time showing a masterful presentation in 3D that ages well, since the medium is constantly being updated. The odd place of this current-day 16-bit presentation looks easily as masterful as the most detailed presentations of 16-bit classics.

In short, I loved it.

So, here's the part where I provide some criticism. The game looks very much like an old turn-based RPG classic. It plays like a point-and-click adventure, and much of the actual 'gameplay' is a set of sliding puzzles. The intent, it seems, is to focus much of the attention of the player to be on the story (which, as previously stated, is a strong point worthy of being pointed toward), but after all is said and done, one wonders about how necessary it was to have the title called a 'game'.

Could the presentation have survived without the gameplay mechanics? The sliding puzzles, certainly, but one of the best things about a video game over, say, a book or a movie, is that you have the ability to interact with the world to get the most out of the storyline. There were a few things that I admired that could have only been done through use of gameplay- notes which get altered by untrustworthy narrators, and the like, but beyond that much of the exploration is required to progress the game, and the interactivity between the player and the environment is slim.

In fact, the game 'reads' much like a visual novel. You do macguffins, and it makes story happen. But they jokingly acknowledged it several times, and clearly made an effort to keep it at a necessary minimum. To be fair, the turn-taking RPG itself stuff itself with macguffin'd tasks and elements. I dare you to tell me that the actual 'gameplay' in a Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior game is good. Enjoying the battle element out of a turn-taking RPG is like liking calculators and Excel spreadsheets for the thrilling gameplay. You do a thing, which makes you feel like you're progressing.

But, gamewise, is there a better way to include gameplay into a title which wants to focus as much as possible onto the story? Because of the detective-like elements of gameplay, and the articulation of the scientists would be better utilized with some of the elements which made Phoenix Wright into a game. I mean, sure, I don't know anything more about law than I did when I started playing the games, but I sure as hell felt like a lawyer. Some of the clues to the mystery of the man you are helping might be better solved if a gameplay mechanic forced the player to draw some of the conclusions itself.

The end of the game was a clear and complete story of the man whose life you explored. But what is opened to you is a very interesting world, prime with opportunity for further exploration. So long as the charm of the two scientists is not over-explored early on, I expect myself to be able to enjoy the sequels that the game's conclusion certainly seemed to be hinting at. Hopefully I can man the hell up before I play them.

Extra Note: I want to give special commendation to the game To the Moon for including a character who has special needs successfully into the story. I won't be too specific, since every single thing about this game should be experienced through the game itself, but all I want to say is that it was amazing to get a realistic human characterization without getting the 'a very special episode' feeling. Bravo.
  2. Dec 24, 2011
    To the Moon was both pleasing and disappointing... you see, its plot is great, not much to argue there. I even cried by its end, because it actually made me ponder my personal values. How many games truly manage to have that effect on a person? But the writing can often be hit or miss. It tries too hard to be funny when it shouldn't, an issue often linked to the character of Dr. Neil, who in many scenes crushes the mood that the game tries so hard to set. The soundtrack and art design are clearly lovingly built, and are a big plus.

Really, To the Moon is worth playing, but feels bipolar. It feels bipolar in how it is trying to weave a complex tale that requires so much thinking and emotional investment from the player, and at the same time goes out of its way to make vomit jokes. It's a shame that it doesn't take itself more seriously. The post-ending also feels direly unnecessary, presenting a confusing and self-serving commercial hook that only dampens the impact of the real ending.
  3. Nov 26, 2011
    Few other games have even come close to achieving what this little indie game has in it's 4 hour long gameplay period. To the moon is a sort of game which makes you howl with laughter one moment while making you weep the next. It uses every single pixel on screen to mesmerize you and astonish you as to how much emotion can be portrayed using a 16 bit look. The story takes the supreme precedence in this adventure/RPG game (though there is almost no RPG elements- apart from a very humorous jab at jRPG early in the game). The creator uses the game mostly to paint a wonderful story surrounding love, adventure, life and death. Some might not like it since gameplay takes the back seat, but I assure you that this is the kind of game which makes most of the movies and tv shows look petty. While the gameplay elements are pretty straightforward for anyone to pickup quickly, there are some small challenges along the way concerning the number of moves to complete intermittent puzzles.
    The game does falter a little bit towards the end, making use of tedious chasing sequences at one point but that is small enough to be forgiven.
    All in all this is a game which raises indie gaming to a whole different level in terms of its storytelling and the thoughtfulness of its premise- I might say as good as Braid and Limbo.
    Do yourself a favor and play this game.
  4. Dec 3, 2011
    Found the game when browsing for something new on Gamespot... OH MY GOD! All the good storytelling of the old adventure games and a deep and immersing experience for 11 bucks... it's just amazing. Thank you free bird games and please port to iPad and release future games on iPad / touch / iphone as you will have a hit on your hands and this game would play perfectly on the platform! I would buy it again for iPad just to be able to play on the go / in bed! Expand
  5. Oct 23, 2012
    I was very excited to finally get my hands on To the Moon, I had purposely waited for it to come to Steam, and once it did I wasted no time securing a copy and playing through it. However, I'm afraid I found this game to be a bit overrated.

I knew going in what the graphics looked like, I knew the game was mainly about story so game play was going to be lacking, and I knew it was an
    indie so at the end of the day it simply wasn't going to have that polished big game feel. I was perfectly fine with all those things, I just wanted a good story. The story is To the Moon is toted as its crowning achievement, and after reading the short summary I figured it would be. Sadly the story simply falls flat and has too many inconsistencies and cliches for my taste. First you have one of the main characters who is almost a pure annoyance. The character acts like a teenager, and not even a mature teenager, an average immature, annoying teenager. Yet this character is presented as a scientist and has Dr. at the beginning of his name. His dialogue constantly pulled me out of the story and made me wonder why he was written the way he was. Clearly he was meant to be a form of comedic relief but I found the whole concept to be unnecessary as the story is supposed to be serious and emotional. His counter part wasn't all the much better.

The story is supposed to be deep and thought provoking, yet it often tries way too hard to be comedic to the point where its not taking itself seriously. The whole time I got a sense that this story was conceived by two young, probably high school level guys, one who wanted to tell a serious story and the other who wanted to get cheap laughs. Unfortunately both of them fell short. The story tries way to hard, and ultimately uses too many cliche formulas. I won't go further into them because it would be too hard to avoid spoilers. I was really let down by the way the story was handled, it could have been really great but it simply fell flat. In the end I feel in falls in that category of "oh its a good story, for a video game..." which really isn't saying much. If this were presented as a book or movie I think it would be altogether ignored. . The game play is practically non-existent and consists of walking a few steps, clicking through some dialogue and solving a simple puzzle. Which would have been fine if the story held up it's end. I will say the music was really well done though and fit quite well. In the end To the Moon really didn't do it for me, but I can see why people praise it. It does try to be different and its story has real potential. Given some tweaking this could be a remarkable story and game, but as is its not worth the $10 imo.
  6. Nov 26, 2012
    Giving this game a full score seems like it has become a sort of hype. I understand that the game tries to achieve some level of deepness however it fails miserably by trying to do so. I literally forced myself to see the ending of this game just to be convinced that people were at some point right at praising the game so much. The story is cliche and boring. It lacks originality and the humor just doesn't work. If you add lack of gameplay to this formula, you get a very, very frustrating "game". I've payed a very little amount of money for this game on steam and still I regret doing so. Moreover, I want my 3 hours back I've spent on this game.

If we discuss the cheesy soundtrack, it sounds exactly like what me and my sister used to play when we were 12 years old on the piano. I just do not understand why people pay money to buy this album except for charity. The graphics are actually nostalgic which I liked, until they added the ignoring "flash back / sepia" effect for the rest of the game after the first 15 minutes or so. The colors faded and so as the game. I don't understand why they switched to actual drawings from pixels at important "cinematics" (which I suppose was a way of separating the game from the cinematic parts but that doesn't make sense neither since the game is kind of a movie itself, so why bother?) Sadly, those special scenes were not executed very well either. Some drawings were just plain lazily done. As you all can see, I am actually spending my time to write this long review because this ongoing hype about this game is really disturbing me. The game delivers nothing it tries to stand for so why are all these people praising this game as if they've never seen any better story before? There are plenty of indie games out there with some really "poignant" stories and good gameplay.
  7. Nov 5, 2013
    I am convinced there is some kind of conspiracy going on here. This game is so dreadful, it is not possible that so many people genuinely liked it, unless they have never played video games before. It is also suspect that there are so many negative votes for perfectly reasonable critical reviews. I like adventure games and I like games with depth of story but this is simply dreadful and its technology is similar to games from the 1980s. Expand
  8. Mar 20, 2012
    Look, I'm all for games who choose to work on their story-line as one of their main things, but if a game has only story-line and nothing else...it's really just a book. You can't classify this as a video game if all you are really doing is watching but clicking to go forward. I have to admit, I only played the demo since I didn't want to waste any money. And I have to say it's not a good "game". If this was a book, or some kind of movie I would give it a different score. But the so called "compelling" story-line is not interesting in my opinion, just to be plain old sad with random "funny" moments for no apparent reason. I'm not saying that game's have to have guns-blazing action packed game-play with no story-line, but come on put SOME game-play in it. Anything, I wouldn't care then. Graphics are fine, who cares if it's 16-bit or 3D, graphics don't matter much. But this is not a "masterpiece". It's boring. I really have no idea why everyone is so enthralled by a game that really should have been some new movie that gets all the good reviews. Expand
  9. Dec 22, 2011
    To the Moon was mentioned on a podcast I was listening to and the person explained the premise a bit about doctors going into a dying mans mind to give him his last wish of going to the moon. It was not a very in depth explanation, but for some reason I can't explain I knew I had to experience this game. When I finally purchased it and launched the game the extremely beautiful theme song started playing and I knew I was in for something special. There is not much game play but it really doesn't need much the story and the music are the stars of the show. You might ask yourself why does it need to be a game then. It's because the 16 bit graphics adds to the charm of the characters that might not be there if it was any other way. It's also a tribute to how well the writing is that so much emotion can be conveyed through these 16 bit sprites. If you appreciate story or music in any way shape or form you owe it to yourself to experience this masterpiece. Expand
  10. Nov 26, 2011
    I am 26 years old, and in a gaming world well to be truthful, its a lot. So I often find myself felling not to thrilled about a lot of games cause lot of them are essentially the same thing but with much better cosmetics. So I decided to try something radically different and TTM looked interesting. But before everything else I wanted to play something that has SUBSTANCE! And TTM delivers just that. Nice concept, dialog between characters is extraordinary funny. Main story line has depth and is meaningful. Soundtrack blends with main story into a masterpiece. This game is a proof that going back does not mean devolving, but rather picking up some long forgotten elements that not many new games have and building on it a new experiences for gamers. Thank you Freebird! Expand
  11. Nov 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely fantastic game, it was the first time I cry in a game. Freebird Games show us again their capacity to make games that really touch with a simple, but brilliant game, with deep and unforgettable characters. Expand
  12. Nov 27, 2011
    There are a lot of games out there--and I'm talking about professionally-developed games, put out by big-name studios--that don't live up to the title "work of art." To The Moon is not one of those games. This game transcends "work of art," supersedes "classic," and sits somewhere up there in the realm of "masterpiece." And it does it all without relying on any of the gimmicks or tricks the you see a lot of games get by on nowadays. Sixteen-bit graphics. No stat system. No equipment system. No combat. No player death. There is nothing to distract you from what this game is really about: One of the best stories I've ever read.
    To The Moon is the story of two doctors who set out to fulfill an old man's dying wish by changing his memories. Through his mind, they embark on a journey that spans a lifetime, stepping backward through the years from old age to childhood to discover why their patient wants so badly to go to the moon.
    With breathtaking visuals and a moving musical score, this game is practically guaranteed to put a tear in your eye. This is why I play RPGs. For games like this.
  13. Dec 4, 2011
    Excellent game! This game will make you cry and it will make you re-think your actions in life. I highly recommend this game.A+++ from me. Looking forward to more games from this developer
  14. Feb 9, 2013
    Perhaps it's only as you get older that this game resonates so much. Do you risk messing with loving memories, even if it's to get rid of painful ones. Lovely story, brought tears to the eyes.
  15. Dec 13, 2011
    I've never given a 10 to anything before, solely for the reason that no game is ever perfect...
    This game is as close to perfect as you could ever get. The graphics may be old style, but they didn't need them to tell a phenomenal story. This game had me crying from both joy, laughter and sadness. No game, book or movie has ever done that to me before. Easily my favorite game of all time.
    Amazing soundtrack too. I loved this game so much - I can't say it enough. Expand
  16. Nov 8, 2011
    To the Moon is a game that attempts to merge story-telling and game-play. Often one gets the impression that the developer included only as much game-play as could be included without holding back the story in some way. Typically this would not be forgivable for the medium, but the game-play that is present is integrated well and in service of an amazing story. The story is told through sometimes funny, sometimes poignant dialogue that combines with simple, yet effective graphics techniques and some of the most memorable and touching music I've experienced in games. The way that the story is told and the plot threads are tied together made my 5 hour play-through feel meaningful in a way that no other games do, it felt like it enriched my life. With stronger game-play components that maintain the level of story-telling future incarnations in this series can take adventure games to the next level. Expand
  17. Dec 11, 2011
    Ah...... A trip down the memory lane. Don't get fooled by the cartoonish-retro looking graphics. This game has the BEST STORY of 2011..... hands down. The soundtracks are on per with the likes of Skyrim and Shadow of Colossus. After finishing the game you will pause for a moment and think about your own life and your own past and future....... guaranteed. This 4-5 hours of game deserves every penny of the 12$ price tag. Expand
  18. Aug 22, 2013
    This game holds a special place in my heart. This is one of those games that is truly unique. There are no points or lives or enemies to battle. It's a game driven purely by the storyline. And the story is both interesting and well-told. I can't remember if I cried when I played this game the first time, but it wouldn't surprise me. I think another reviewer said it best when describing this game, "I can't tell you what makes this game so great without spoiling it." This game isn't for everyone. You have to value storyline over button-mashing, and you probably have to be an adult to appreciate the themes addressed in the story. A truly remarkable game. PS the music is awesome. Expand
  19. Nov 30, 2011
    It was just by chance that I saw this game and gave it a try, and believe me it was well worth the investment. I have never experienced a video game of with this caliber of story telling since Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. With that said the game is very basic where there is really nothing complicated or confusing about it which allowed me to follow the whole story from start to end. The 16-bit sprites seem to have been the best fit for this game as I could not see this game using 3D polygons and what not. This is a very charming game that I would love seen made into an anime or live action movie. This game will tug on your heartstrings all the way through. Expand
  20. Feb 18, 2012
    I utterly love this game. Graphic reminds me of good old times (dunno why people complain about it) sound design is a masterpiece - I will never forget this feeling during hmm "warning" parts and main theme piano is mesmerizing as well. But what makes this game unique is story, a really touching love story. There's also lots of humour in the dialogues which even make everything more realistic as even drama is not all about drama, is it? Oh and HIMYM reference was great, didn't expect to see something like that in a here :) Expand
  21. Nov 25, 2011
    This game deserves Oscar. You just must play it, if you love good books/movies. Whole game toke about 5 hours. But the emotions were priceless. I just could not resist to not shed a tear.
  22. Nov 27, 2011
    This is a beautiful game, the soundtrack backs the story perfectly. The game is around 4 hours long and will make you laugh and cry without relying on cheap plays.
    Ive recommended this game to everyone I know, and everyone has enjoyed it so far.
    Play this game.
  23. Nov 26, 2011
    A true Masterpiece that deserves to be played by everyone that REALLY likes a good history, a good piano soundtrack and some tears; A blast of a game.
  24. Nov 28, 2011
    This game is short, you can finish it in about three hours. This game looks old, with a visual style resembling the SNES era. If these aspects drive you away from this game, you sir are a fool. This game has one of the most compelling and heart-breaking stories in recent gaming history, backed up by a superb soundtrack that fits every scene perfectly. The gameplay is very simple, but this is by no means a dealbreaker. I've been playing games since 1994, and as you can imagine I've played tons of PC games. And this is the first and only game that has made me cry. No kidding. Play this now. Expand
  25. Sep 14, 2013
    I just couldn't stop playing it! It's firmly an adventure game, which is a genre I don't often enjoy, but the story was so gripping...I had to keep going...

Granted, it took less than 5 hours to complete, but it's great!
  26. Dec 19, 2011
    To The Moon has the most heart-breakingly sad/happy ending in any game, ever. No game I have ever played has came close to matching the story here, it is simply superb. There is very little gameplay in the game, but the little there is you want out of the way as quickly as possible so as to get back to the story. I've been touched for life by this game.
  27. Feb 25, 2012
    Any game that someone calls a '10' should be a superb experience that offers something truly unique and breathtaking, and To the Moon does just that. The story is a heartwrenchingly beautiful tale that feels as though it was lovingly hand crafted. The music is breathtaking, and invokes emotions from tears to genuine dread. To the Moon is a story that i've never really seen told before, it's themes have been used, but not in the way that this game uses them. An amazing experience, one that all should partake in. Expand
  28. Sep 12, 2012
    This game is beyond brilliant. It is not really a game but more so a game/movie/book. Play for a lovely story and you will be beyond satisfied. It is easily one of the most powerful stories I've ever experienced.
  29. Oct 17, 2012
    Calling this a game is a wroong, this is an expriance. I have never felt like this playing a game in my life. If you want something diffrant, soulfull and powerfull this is the game. If you are action man youll be bored out of yuore mind.

This is the most intresting interligent game i have ever played. Pure love.
  30. Nov 24, 2011
    To the Moon is one of those rare game that doesn't have much game-play but everything else about it make it a touching game. In some sense it remind me of Bastion except the game-play is a mixed of classic game that was minimized so that you can enjoy the story and music. Overall for a game that barely cost anything, and will support autism this game is a must buy for those who is fond of a good story but be warn as this game is not that long and will make you cry, for those emotional people, and to some it will be boring. Expand
  31. Nov 24, 2011
    Amazing role-playing game that pushes the boundaries of what videogames are, as it rival's on true art!

I have never once in my 25 years of gaming felt so many emotions as with To The Moon. Sometimes I would be laughing at the funny dialogue, other times I wouuld be nearly in tears and others I was just having a super fun time.

The story and characters are top notch and the soundtrack is
    tied with Skyrim's soundtrack as the best of this year. Also the dialogue is well done as is the atmosphere, for a indie group this is a fantastic game that makes alot of mainstream rpgs seem very poorly made.

This game was a blast and while it only lasted 6 hours, it was some of the best 6 hours ive had gaming in ages, near perfection right here people, do yourself a favor and go pick up this amazing and moving videogame.
  32. Nov 23, 2012
    This is not really a game, it's more of an interactive story. That being said, it's the best interactive story I've ever played. It has the benefits of a movie (the sights and sounds help draw you into the experience) combined with the benefits of a book (doesn't have to be over in 100 minutes, so you get lots of extra character development and storyline). As a book, I probably would have given this about a 7 out of 10, but they did the "interactive" part so well (it draws you in rather than getting in the way) that if you enjoyed the story even a little, you really can't give it anything other than a 10/10. Expand
  33. Aug 27, 2013
    It's all about the story! The problem is it's extremely overrated. When I read reviews of people who played this game who say they were so touched tears came to their eyes I think they need to get a life outside their computer. Trying not to spoil it, the resolution in the end is stupid. It *might* have worked as a movie where real actors could interject human emotions, but ultimately it's a video game about dreams and memories... the premise is basically "your mind and memories can be manipulated to make you happy, just like a video game." Stupid premise because it's not meaningful at all. In the end I was like uh what was the point of all that? The guy just got played.

I will admit some of it was very compelling. There's a lot of breadcrumbs and allusions/foreshadowing where I couldn't put it down because I was dying to know what came next but in the end was let down. There was no plot defining twist, all pretty predictable. I did think the dialogue was clever and fine though. I did like the music but it wasn't like oscar worthy as many would make you think. It's just catchy little piano pop songs. Nothing special, but enjoyable.

The gameplay is awful. Clicking was very not responsive. Controls are bad. I don't mind a full story driven game with little game play, but this game should've just been an E book/video game animated movie because the game play gets in the way of the story and becomes an annoyance. Gameplay is also non consistent. Some plot points require you to do a bunch of mundane junk while others breeze right through with cutscenes (my preference).

Thankfully the game is short and cheap. I'm not upset I played it, more upset at the lavish praise it's getting because it's simply not deserving.
  34. Apr 29, 2013
    Being a 40 year old gamer, I don't understand why this game is rated so high. I support independent games, many are quite good despite minor flaws, but this one's feeble attempt at humor is particularly groan-worthy. I may let my 7 year old niece play to see if she thinks it's funny. Apart from the poor dialog perhaps lost in translation, the gameplay is ok with only a few nuances and the story is nice so I give it a 4 for that. Expand
  35. Sep 10, 2013
    People seem to be very impressed with this game, especially the story.

First of all, the story in this game is not sad/tragic/beautiful. I think the amazing storyline hype comes from few people overreacting to mediocre storyline and rest just hopping on the train tossing their thinking caps out the window. If you've read more than 5 books or are older than 15, you probably heard/read
    sadder stories or have experienced much more tragic events than this game has to offer. Story is a very generic "love story" with repressed memory playing a major role. While the game can take you about 4 hours, you can accurately guess how the story will pan out after about 20 min of play. I can see how some people might find this story really sad and beautiful but I assume these are the same people who would break down sobbing if they ever saw a roadkill. I admit, the story is slightly better than typical fps shooters that seem to dominate the market but this isn't really saying much for a game that supposedly has an amazing storyline.

The gameplay is a very simple 16-bit game that you might find in your gameboy but with more details and vibrant colours.. Most of gameplay is talking to significant characters and solving a series of very simple puzzles. No fights and no real puzzles to get you thinking. Searching for items and solving puzzles are mostly there to give you small breaks throughout the game. Also, the game is story-driven and is very linear. You cannot go back to place you visited earlier for check for foreshadowing or re-read some lines to clarifies some details.

Sound has always been very important aspect of game for me and I was mildly intrigued by the soundtrack and bought it off the main website. After thoroughly listening to them all for a while, only one track is decent/memorable enough that I will occasionally look back on it. The track is called 'For River' and feels like a mix of 'Thousand Words', 'Tifa's Theme' and one more track from FF series I can't remember.

Recommended if you've never played a game with a decent story and are interested what current gen has to offer. However, if you have experience with sad/tragic/beautiful stories and expect to find it in To the Moon, you will be very disappointed.
  36. Sep 3, 2013
    -To The Moon's story is the best I've ever encountered in my 25 years of gaming. It deals with mature themes that make you think about memories, regrets, life, love, and what it means to be human. At times, it can get very melodramatic, but Gao balances that perfectly with some great comedic moments. The dialogue is witty, and the characters, and plot are well developed.

-The soundtrack
    is excellent as well. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really like how Gao uses one song as a motiff that perfectly fits the story at hand.

-The graphics are a throwback to the 16 bit era, although to me it looked like an early PSX rpg game since the color palette exceeds the 256 on screen palette of the SNES. The graphics are really lush, and fit the story's purpose. I really hate it when people say that retro 16 bit graphics are bad. That is just a stupid notion. Would you say that Picasso's paintings are bad? Of course not. It's just a different style.
  37. Nov 24, 2012
    To The Moon fits fairly well into the genre of a Visual Novel - aside from the plot, it doesn't offer too much in the way of gameplay. However, the story alone is well worth the price-tag - if you're willing to shell out 12 bucks for a 2-hour movie at the theaters (or 20 for a DVD/Blu-Ray), do yourself a favor and get this game. But be warned - it will, most likely, cause you to break down into tears at some point. For me, that moment was when you do finally find out why the old man, Johnny, wanted to go to the moon to begin with. The moments after that were more of a denouement after that emotional high-point, but seeing as I've spent the past day mulling over that moment... well, suffice to say that it works. Expand
  38. Jan 2, 2013
    This game made me cry all night :'S It's good to feel that I'm not made of stone after all. Beautiful game!! You couldn't have done it better, a truly masterpiece!
  39. Feb 27, 2012
    One of the most ambitious stories in gaming. In fact, if this was a film I can imagine it being "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" kind of great. Yes, it looks like a snes game. Yes the gameplay is poor at best. And yes, I give this a 10/10 purely on it's ambition. Which consumes and overwhelms everything around it. Negatives be damned, this is a masterwork. A private, intimate, masterwork.
  40. Nov 26, 2011
    To the Moon is a fantastic game that tells a story that really sticks to you. The game lacks in any real game play elements but makes up in an engaging story. The idea is that a company comes to you on your death bed and makes your one dream come true within your memories. In order for them to do that they must follow your memories back as far as they can seeing many major events that occur in ones life. The events are what really pull you in and make for an extremely emotional tale. The random comedy tossed in really helps keep a sad story up-beat but comes to a very good ending. This no name indie title is worth your time and money, and I am looking forward to the next one. Expand
  41. Nov 26, 2011
    The ending of To The Moon actually made me cry. Real tears. Then again like half an hour later when I made some connections that needed some mulling. I can't even remember the last time a story touched me like this game did.
  42. Nov 26, 2011
    The music is very powerful. I liked the gameplay concept. Amazing, just amazing. Really inspirational and heart warming. Would love to see more games like these around, but then again having the same idea is never really much of a good thing.
  43. Nov 27, 2011
    This game is quite an experience. It is fun and engaging. Those who like visual novels would probably like this, as well as those who don't. The story is great and the game is definitely worth it.
  44. Nov 27, 2011
    To be completely honest, i was just expecting an everyday RPG that almost everyone tries to create. I ended up getting a heart felt masterpiece. Best classic rpg ive played in a long tong Im hoping that freebird games actually consider the possibility of creating more games like this and or if not just make more games with our two lovable characters the good DRs.
  45. Nov 27, 2011
    To The Moon's highlights are its story and soundtracks. You'd definitely be touched after playing this 5 hours amazing story. The story couldn't been any better and sometimes you'd wonder how possibly people thought of such beautiful story.
  46. Nov 28, 2011
    I am not a huge fan of video games, I'll admit it.
    My boyfriend made me play this game with him yesterday. The game play feels more like you are in a movie with no fighting or side tasks or straying from what you are supposed to do.
    But that is the magic of the game. The dialogue is entirely amusing form the get-go. I thought the story was lame at first; I cracked so many jokes at the
    main character's wife. As the story became clearer and clearer my cynicism escaped me. At the end I was bawling like baby for a good twenty minutes.

The music is incredible and the pixelated scenery is rich in colors. The combination of those two things and the story line will have you hooked.
  47. Dec 5, 2011
    Best story-driven RPG that I have played in a long time. Excellent score. It made me laugh and cry. My only complaint would be that it's too short 10/10
  48. Apr 13, 2012
    More of a Visual novel than a game really. The only reason I think it deserves to be called a game is the really bad puzzles between each "level". The game uses RPG maker or something of sorts, which really makes you think badly about the quality of the game. The music on the other hand is good, the makers made good choices and used a very touching tune that follows you during the game with alterations depending on the place. The one thing that makes the game redeemable is the story, if it wasn't for the story I'm sure no one would even bother playing the game, let alone buy it.
    I'm really not sure how to rate this game, as a game it lacks everything that makes a game good, but as an interactive movie it does so well I cried 3 times in one session. If I would rate it as a game I'd rate it 4.0, but as a movie I'd rate it 10.0. Since it is a game I have to give it a low score, sorry.
  49. Apr 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This story made me, a 17 year old guy, start crying. The story is so moving and so well written, that months later, i still think about it.

I laugh, i cried, i stopped and thought, i was angry, and i was happy. It. Was. AMAZING.

However, don't go into this story thinking its a game. Its not a game. Its a Story, and nothing more.

But it is quite simply the best story ive ever had the privilege to read.
  50. Sep 13, 2013
    Beautiful, lack of gameplay but the most immersive heart warming stories I have ever seen in a video game. You might complain there is a lack of depth and gameplay itself, so if you are one who expects all that then please this is not a game for you. All I can say is that this has made me appreciate the values of memories and love to a whole new scale, please, just give it a go, you won't be dissapointed. Expand
  51. Feb 17, 2013
    It takes a lot of courage to create a game that has a primary focus on story. It takes even more courage to limit your gameplay because of that same focus. To the Moon apparently has a lot of courage. Is the story of To the Moon strong enough it to stand on its own? Short answer, yes. Yes it is.

Now, let me get something out of the way. No, this game does not have revolutionary
    graphics. No, this game lacks gameplay mechanics of a traditional adventure RPG. There is no combat. There is no leveling up. To the Moon is not that kind of game. I wouldn't even call it a game, really. To the Moon is an interactive story. And it was intended to be. And yet I can't explain the story without ruining it. This is an experience that cannot be told. If you want to understand why this story is worth telling, you're going to have to pay your money and watch it unfold with your own eyes. The soundtrack to this game is also extremely emotional and is one of the more memorable scores. Piano segments seriously brought me to tears at some points in time, simply because of the pure emotion behind every keystroke. Every song matched the mood it was trying to portray. I have never really been moved by a soundtrack quite like this one. Now, unfortunately, there are some flaws that keep this game from being perfect. Some parts of the game have pointless comedic one-liners from Dr. Neil Watts, who can ruin a mood in an instant. He makes a wisecrack in almost every scene. Mind you, there are some times when his interactions are actually needed and enjoyed. But the number of bad interactions outweigh the good. However, I must say that his personality straightens out in the final half of the game, so he's not all bad. Also, the puzzles in the game seem to be quite out of place. I don't think the game was extremely hindered by them, but at the same time they shouldn't have really been there. All in all, To the Moon is not a game. It's a story. It's an experience. And what an experience it is. There are a couple hiccups down the road, but the sheer amount of emotion put into this game's story and music completely makes up for the flaws of the game. There are few original games out there nowadays, and I'm ecstatic to say that To the Moon is an experience worth enjoying. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll most definitely fall in love with this game just as I have. Expand
  52. Mar 21, 2013
    Pleaso read it all. I am not judging "To the Moon" as a game because that would be a mistake. I am judging it for what it is. I'll explain...

I've cryed four times during this game. I can't tell at which parts whitout spoiling it, but, what I can say is basically I suffered something very similar to what the main character did. I will argue for days with people that say that "To the
    Moon"s story lacks of depth or originality. George R.R. Martin himself sayi that, these days, is not about telling a original story, but about telling a story in a way that has never been told. "To the moon" told me a story in a way that I was never told before. I would not call To the Moon as a game precisely, it's more of an interactive novel, with a few puzzles, very simple ones by the way. To the moon is a piece of art for me. It's basically a story told in a very beautiful way. I was sincerelly touched by this "game" and if you ever lost someone dear to you, I promisse you will be touched too.

This is currently 3 bucks at Steam. Please don't draw yourself away from this game just because somepeople are complaining about graphics or not allowing themselfs to be touched by simple things. Anyway, that's my opinion
  53. Aug 25, 2013
    Melhor experiência que já tive com um "game" no decorrer dos 26 anos da minha existência. Simplesmente fantástico. A história, a trilha tudo excepcional, nunca imaginaria isso de um "game" feito no rpgmaker. Merece a atenção de todos.
  54. Sep 15, 2013
    The best indie game for me.
    I love this oldschool-graphic game. I love this story very much and I hope that Freebird Games will make second chapter soon.
  55. Sep 16, 2013
    I had to make a quick account on here for the sole purpose of letting you know how good this game is. It is one of the best stories and most well written games I've ever played. Very original story on top of well written dialogue as well as fantastic music. Some people are saying the game play was too slow and boring, personally, I never noticed. I was so invested in the story and the characters that nothing else mattered besides finding out what happens. Anyways I'll wrap this up and simply say, it's an amazing experience and at a very reasonable price. Buy this game! Expand
  56. Oct 12, 2013
    Discovered the game thanks to a friend who said me to try it.
    Incredible work: so beautiful, touching, sublime, just perfect... I swear i've never cried for a book/film/videogame, but this game changed myself.
    poor gameplay, but the soundtrack and storyline are so amazing.

Hands down, the most beautiful and emotional love story EVER.
    An unbelievable masterpiece. try to believe
  57. Oct 20, 2013
    To the Moon does an amazing job telling a poignant, complex story without becoming convoluted. Music was absolutely fantastic, setting the mood and truly enhancing the dialogue. I cannot wait to play more from Freebird.
  58. nop
    Nov 16, 2013
    Rating of 11 should be reserved for games with story as masterfully crafted and written, as this one. Music is top notch too. Maybe some people will say "this is not game", and call it "low-tech interactive movie" or something like that, but who cares? It's still awesome.
  59. Sep 8, 2012
    Everything MarkDarkness says is absolutely true. I PERSONALLY felt the comedic relief was a little too much sometimes. Certainly not the best GAME I've ever played, it probably could have been done in movie form and had just as much of an emotional impact. All in all, it was very sad, and the soundtrack is definite fire.
  60. Nov 25, 2013
    Okay, let's say you download an eBook of the graphic novel "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World." The style of the graphic novel kind of looks like a video game. And to turn the page, you have to click on the "next page" button, so it is interactive. The eBook requires you to take an action before you can see more of the story.

Is that a video game? No. No one would call that a video game.
    They'd call it an eBook.

To the Moon is an eBook. It is more "on rails" than any game I've ever seen. There's virtually no player choice; there's virtually no interaction with the environment. Basically it's "Here's a scene. Enjoy that? Good. Now walk to the next one." All the gameplay is just a glorified "Next Page" button.

This game has received "Universal acclaim." That's because it's an outstanding graphic novel. And it really is. I teared up just like everyone else. It's beautiful without crossing the line into saccharine. It's thought-provoking and heartfelt and touching. The soundtrack is breathtaking.

But why was it released as a game?? What about this story makes it best told as a game?? It seems it would have been just as good, if not better, as a novella. Or movie. Or graphic novel. Or play. Or puppet show. Why is it a game??

I tend to think that a "game" needs to meet a few minimum qualifications. Maybe "It is possible to fail"? Well, here, no, it's not. Maybe "The player must make choices"? No. No choices are made. Maybe "Some degree of skill is required to progress"? Nope! Pretty much zero.
  61. Jan 31, 2012
    This game is almost entirely story based. The style reminds me a bit of the Longest Journey, amazing story, amazing music, minimalist gameplay to progress the experience. It's a movie with one further step into immersion.

Oh, and it's like being punched in the heart by a lumberjack.
  62. Sep 22, 2012
    Really enjoyable story and a very touching ending are the best words to descrive this piece of art. However, this is the issue I had at the start and probably some gamers are complaining or might complain: this isn't really a game, but a piece of art, and some people might not like this kind of "games", although it's mostly a "2 sided" fight which nobody will win and, personally, I don't care who is right, as long as we enjoy the software, game or art that is. With that big detail, my biggest complains on the game are mostly three: dialogue, length, and replay value. Now, the game has a very well told story (minus some issues to understand), but I'm probably not alone when I say that the dialogue of the 2 characters, for the most part, are unnecessarily funny, and I mean unnecessary. Sometimes the characters tend to put on jokes on jokes that really won't make you laugh, but just facepalm thinking "this wasn't really needed". The problem here is that the unnecessary funny dialogue RUINS the atmosphere, which is very serious and sometimes even dark, and doesn't help at all, luckily the story hooks you in so you'll easily ignore those dialogues and focus on the plot. The length of the game also is very short, clocking in about 4-5 hours tops of gaming to reach the end...not a big deal if it wasn't that other games like this that can last much more (like visual novels). Also there isn't many puzzles (and a small action scene) in this game and that means that there aren't obstacles stopping you at all. This issue can be a big problem, especially when we can find flash games that lasts for double the time, but it's also unfair to compare games of different genres. Still, hope for some more length...especially when there's also issues with the replay value. Now, the game isn't costy, which means the cost won't stop people, but the game has almost no replay value because, unfortunely, there aren't many choices to do in the game: the story is EXTREMELY linear and, unless I'm wrong, there is no other ending. Add the 4-5 hour length, you'll easily get a good "game" but that probably won't be played again for a while, which is a pity because adventure games and story driven games (visual novels, again), have at least more than one ending, which gives us more longevity and more ways to experience a story. I'm still giving a 8 because not only it was a very touching game and a bitter yet sweet story, but also because the concept is "kinda" original and I can't wait to see this concept amplified and to see what other stories we will see like this. It's still a game to try and to enjoy despite everything: even with flaws, the rest of the game will easily make you enjoy the money spent, even for a short time: it's definitely a story to enjoy and I can't find a reason to avoid it or tell people to not play it, so... see you to the moon! Expand
  63. Jan 3, 2013
    This game moved me to tears. Once the climax starts and the entire story unfolds, you will feel for these video game characters like you never have before. The soundtrack pulls you into the story. This game reminds me of the great Chrono Trigger in some ways, and yet is all its own. The Characters are so beautifully written, you fall in love and never regret it. I haven't been this emotionally invested in a game since Final Fantasy 7 with the Mass Effect franchise falling closely behind. I will eagerly await the sequel to this game. The gameplay only felt slow to me once, and very shortly at that. I believe that it fit into the game very nicely, it made it so you focused on your surroundings and does not draw away from the story at all. This game falls very nicely in the "games are art" category. Please do yourself a emotional favour and buy this game. I very much doubt you will regret it. Expand
  64. Jan 11, 2014
    It's common to see a game with really fun, solid gameplay to have a really weak, pointless story, but it's far less common to see the opposite. That's exactly what we have in "To The Moon". We have an expertly-crafted narrative with great art, atmosphere, and music, but the gameplay is shoehorned-in, tedious, and doesn't serve the narrative in any significant way. This game would have been far better without the gameplay constantly slowing down the pacing. Still, the story is so good that I can't in good conscience give this a score any lower than an 8. The fact that I can care so much about this story in spite of gameplay that literally had me groaning for hours is a testament to just how strong a story it is. Perhaps it would have been a better book or movie, but even if this isn't the ideal medium for it, it's still a strong enough story to deserve praise and make it worth playing. Expand
  65. Nov 29, 2012
    This is by far one of the best games I've ever played. It's so deep and moving. It really can't be passed up. This isn't for everyone, as it's not really a "game." It's more of a beautiful interactive short story. It isn't too long and not too short. It clocks in at 4-5 hours, which really is perfect. To The Moon will stay with you for quite a while after you finish it. It tugs at your heartstrings and never lets go til the end. I ended up crying myself to sleep the night I finished it, just from recalling the ending. It's THAT good. Do yourself a favor and pick this up right away. Expand
  66. Mar 15, 2012
    Great writing, great story, great music. At times it's a little bit unclear what you're supposed to be doing, and this leads to more trial-and-error item hunting than I would like, but it's a relatively minor complaint about an otherwise beautiful game.
  67. May 28, 2012
    Beat it over a year ago. I still get emotional when I think about it. Such a beautiful game. A major studio with a $100 million dollar budget couldn't have done any better.
  68. Oct 1, 2012
    To The Moon is really **** good, very emotional and will keep you involved the entire way through as long as you're not some butt who doesn't think it has enough snipers of 360 noscopes. For a game all about sad, the banter between the protagonists is awesome. At first Neil seems like a nut and he's just there to be retarded, but you find out more about him too and he progressively takes his job more seriously, as Eva takes it less seriously. It all balances out in the end and I really enjoyed the plot twists. Shame it's so short, only about 4-5 hours. But I'd say it's worth it. Expand
  69. Mar 25, 2012
    I always feel compelled to write something on metacritic when I really enjoyed a game. The indie scene has just been amazing. Dear Esther and now 'To the Moon'. It's a mushy love story that you can't help but become involved - interactive fiction at it's best. This 'game' will not leave you feeling flat once completed. Very uplifting, definitely a 10 in my books :)
  70. Apr 12, 2012
    This little game is a nice change from what I'm used to. It's hard to really call it a game as there is very little interactivity at all, but with a story like this it held my attention. The story is both sad and happy throughout the game play till the very end. The complexity of the story and what happens really made me stand back and consider my values. Not usually being a fan of indie titles I was considering giving this an 8.. but seeing that its probably the best indie game I've played it deserves at least a 9. Expand
  71. Mar 24, 2012
    Excelente juego, es como la vida misma, dejando de lado los gráficos, es inmerso, atrapante, y te da que pensar, quizás el hecho de tener cutres gráficos, sea lo que te concentre totalmente en la historia, y en las distintas disyuntivas por las que atravesamos a lo largo de la vida.
  72. Nov 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've only played it for one hour. That was enough. The evil people behind this game hooked me with this simple game and I will now have to buy it. Shame on you for the great soundtrack and well designed story. - POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT --
    If you liked Inception (the movie, yes) you may find the premise of the story related to it but do not let this review put you off if you didn't like or didn't watch that movie. Now, to find my credit card...
  73. Nov 27, 2011
    I have played very few indie games that are worth a try like big time titles like Mass Effect, The Legend of Zelda, or Grand Theft Auto. To The Moon is definitely a MUST BUY! This indie title consists of a four hour adventure that takes you through the mind of an old man named Johnny. You live through his life all over again and experience his hardships through life and why he would like to go to the moon. It's one of the most emotional experiences you will find in any title on the market. The game play is not very innovative but is used well with the story but the soundtrack and story make up for that. The soundtrack is one of the best I've heard this year. (Props to the creators for getting Laura Shigihara for working on this project) To The Moon is worth playing and is up there with titles like Limbo. I wouldn't be surprised if you see it come to Steam, XBLA, or PSN in the near future. Spend that $11 in your pocket right now because this is a masterpiece you rarely see these days. Expand
  74. Nov 28, 2011
    This has to be one of the best stories i have ever heard/seen. I am a 22 years old man and i have not cried since i was 9 but this game managed to steal a couple of tears from me. The music count for 50% of the feelings it causes. Great game.
  75. Dec 1, 2011
    Yet more proof that the best games on the market are found in the indie section. To the Moon has, I dare say, probably the best written story of all games in existence and it's not about saving or even changing the world. Accompanied with a beautiful piano soundtrack, you will be led through the life of a dying man who has one last wish: to go to the moon. You play as two doctors, Eva and Neil, that set out on a mission to make his wish come true, though only in his mind. Eva and Neil make a very interesting pair, being extremely funny when they can be and serious when they need to be. It's unbelievable that in this day and age of high-tech graphics, To The Moon can convey so much feeling through so few pixels. It plays like a point-and-click game and can be controlled completely with the mouse, but this is not recommended. The only slight downside about the game is that some of the puzzles feel unnecessary and flow-breaking. Still, this is just nit-picking. â Expand
  76. Dec 13, 2012
    This is a game/story that is well worth experiencing. I'm not a game snob and am not scoring this highly because it's the "in" thing to do. This is simply good. It has a story that makes you want to see it through. I got started today and couldn't stop playing until I got to the end. maybe 7-8 hours later. The interactivity with the characters has some surprising empathetic moments of game play - you might be surprised at your responses. The "horse" scene came closer to conveying "joy" in a game than anything I've seen. The music is especially on point in facilitating the story - and the story has complexity that keeps you pushing forward to unravel what's going on. I don't give many 8s, but this is very well done. Expand
  77. Dec 29, 2011
    I've registered to metacritic to give this game a 10. Who would've thought that a 16-bit game can touch you so deep ? The thing about this game is that you don't really play it, you discover it and go along the story.
  78. Jan 1, 2012
    A spectacular piece of media. Can't really call it a game, it's much better than that. It breaks the boundaries. A strong story proves that great graphics simply aren't needed - I'm pretty sure I have never been moved to tears by anything resembling 16-bit graphics, this is certainly the first time. Zero bugs or quirks, the app ran perfectly start to finish in a single sitting (which took around 5-6 hours, with some RL distractions in there). The pacing is great, the puzzles are not a distraction - the first two or three might be a little difficult, but quickly your brain will become accustomed and you will see solutions before even starting, allowing you to proceed to the story without wanting to shut down the game and come back later due to a difficult puzzle obstacle. The puzzles just help you to feel like you're involved somehow, just the right amount for a story like this. They're such a small part of the game, it's better to really look at this as a digital story told using game mechanics. You should not pass this by. Expand
  79. Jan 8, 2012
    I registered an account just o give this game a 10. Rarely a game can touch your heart in such a way. It's a game with little gameplay but very good story and music. If you have been playing Skyrim or WoW like me, why not take a break and play this indie game, you will certainly not be disappointed.
  80. Jan 13, 2012
    So perfected and blissful to play. The game had me hooked with the opening song. It is about a 4 hour experience, and it plays backwards through a man's memories. It is the most gut-wrenching and beautiful story that I have ever heard in my life. It is about death, love, regrets, nostalgia, and secrets. I bawled like a 1 year old throwing a tantrum.... twice. The rest of the time I was either holding back tears or laughter. The humor is genuine and good, and the beautiful sadness touches you in ways no movie or game ever has before. Expand
  81. Jan 4, 2013
    I think that players of this game come in about two different categories: The humans who love it, and the inhuman machines who don't. I, in particular, am a human. The main things it is bashed about is the lack of gameplay, immersion, and the writing. For me, the lack of gameplay wan't a bad thing because I get to spent more time thinking about what's going on with the characters. If you say that the game had no emotional impact on you, then you are inhuman. I personally liked the writing; there was a good balance of cheesy, but entertaining, jokes and serious dialogue. The thing is that if you pride gameplay above all else, and care little for a game's story, then you won't get much out of To The Moon. Have a good day. Expand
  82. Feb 15, 2012
    Absolutely a hidden gem. To The Moon does more than tell a story it brings you emotionally into the game. For anyone that has children beware it made me ultra sad!
  83. Feb 19, 2012
    Without a doubt a great experience if you like the storytelling of the old rpg's from the Nintendo golden age like Final Fantasy Adventure / Mystic Quest.

This came clearly has a very simple gameplay. You just search for objects, click on them, solve a picture with moving tiles and move on. So it's more like an interactive movie.The funny thing is that this was something that was
    absolutely ok for me and the reason is the storytelling.

This came has such a beautiful, well told story. It is very interesting to follow the clues, think about motives and than realize what's behind all this. It's also quite moving. The music is good and fits into the game perfectly. I also think that one of the advantages of this game is the play time of about 5 hours. I don't need games which I can play for 50 hours. I need games which trigger emotions and where i can follow the story easily and do not listen to lots of dialogue which is not important after all.

The game is getting a little bit of track in the end and there are some "action sequences" which were not necessary, but in the end it was worth playing and worth the money. I still think a lot about some of the situations and actions of the main character and his wife. After all this game is a full recommendation for grown up gamers who just want to experience a great story. A story which would be perfect for a movie. Play it.
  84. Feb 26, 2012
    This game is AWESOME!i had a feeling that i wasn't playing this game.The game was playing with my emotions.Sometimes it was really funny.Sometimes really sad.If you like the games with great stories , you MUST play this one
  85. Jan 24, 2013
    This is basically an interactive movie, and the "gameplay" essentially consists of walking around and moving the characters through the story. There's no actual challenge anywhere, you can't "lose", and you can't do anything to affect the overall outcome. Still, despite all of this, moving through the world of To the Moon, and watching this particularly story unfold....well, it's simply beautiful. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll never quite look at a paper bunny rabbit the same way again. :P Expand
  86. Feb 23, 2013
    Stories in most games are pretty much actions and adventures, but this game has the most lovely drama. This game will make you enjoy storyline instead of gaming experience. I guess it is what indie game is. I know graphic is old, that makes the game sorta lame in the beginning, but when you start to get in to the storyline, you will be watching a movie.
  87. Sep 8, 2012
    I had heard about this for a while and it just came out on Steam. This is not really a "game", it's more of an interactive story (or movie) and an absolutely brilliant one. Once I started playing I couldn't stop until it was over, I just HAD to see what was going to happen next. If you're considering getting this know that it will steal your heart and soul and may change the way you look at "games".

11/10 story wise, freakin amazing
    9/10 because there isn't much gameplay but perhaps it's better that way
  88. Mar 11, 2012
    excellent game - great story aided by laura shigihara's even greater musical score (as well as music from the creator as well). the story was interesting and gripping, the only real negative was the limiting engine, however the graphics were nicely suited.
    it's going to be difficult for the sequel to continue such a quality plot.
  89. Feb 9, 2013
    When I booted up this game I had high expectations because of reviews. It started off really well with beautiful music playing in the menu. However, because of the terrible controls and movement combined with annoying and unnecessary puzzles and weird sense of humour, I was soon apt to quit the game. But I persisted and it was well worth it. The game does an outstanding job of pulling you in, empathise with the characters and feel all kinds of emotions. I couldn't stop playing, had to finish the game in one sitting. The writer knows how to emphasize small things and make them stand out in emotional importance. Expand
  90. Apr 1, 2012
    Freebirds has created a small gem. To The Moon is a work of adult and touching able to thrill as only a good book is capable of doing. However, because of it, presents a unique and linear that sometimes leaves more space to the plot than the phases of the game, so make the most of passive readers to active players. So if you are looking for a dynamic and interactive way, you should look the other way, but if you want a story full of emotions, accompanied by an excellent soundtrack and you're willing to accept some compromises in terms of gameplay, then it you can certainly leave it to escape. Expand
  91. Jul 5, 2013
    Amazing, beautiful, brilliant. Riveting storyline. Very easy to become emotionally attached. Heart wrenching.

It takes a person who can appreciate art, who is not overly serious all the time. Some people might not consider it a 'game', because it plays more like older RPGs without the battle system (and just the town exploration/social stuff).
  92. Mar 12, 2013
    Brilliant narrative. Lately I have been getting sick of the go go go, kill kill kill games mixed with sparse storyline. This game is pretty much just story with small puzzles along the way. This game is definitely not aimed at those who are still in the young and invincible mindset, as the primary focus is on mortality and exploring the memories of one man throughout his life, so if you have not yet acknowledged the reality of death and the uncertain, tragic and beautiful nature of life, then they will not enjoy this game. Ignore the negative reviews, play it alone and with headphones late at night. I am not the type who cries often, but this title brought tears to my eyes at a few points and really makes you look at your own life, and your own memories of past and future. How everything was linked together was done in an incredible matter, especially the use of objects to tell a story in how things change, but yet some things always remain the same. Brilliant game, well written story. It's $2.99 on Steam, buy it and support the developers. Expand
  93. Aug 26, 2013
    I think it became a trend to say they cried at this game. I don't get why, they probably haven't played Shadow of the Colossus yet. It was ok, I had some fun with it but I wouldn't ever play it again.
    The dialogues are cheesy, especially the funfair part with those drawings, the music gets annoying after so many repetitions. And the story is the mix of Inception and a Eternal Sunshine of
    the Spotless Mind. Expand
  94. Jan 20, 2013
    I absolutely love this game. Fantastic Storytelling, an emotional plot. This is one of the few games I would classify as "perfect". As in I couldn't find any flaws with this game. For 10 dollars you could do a whole lot worse.
  95. Dec 12, 2013
    I really didn't like the dialogue in this game. A good example that summarises the problem is this; there is a character who has clocks in his house that never tick. Later on, you witness an earlier memory in which he asks to have a clock switched off because the ticking sound is annoying his girlfriend. Then, other characters, witnessing the memory, say "Oh, so that's why the clocks don't tick!"

We didn't need that last bit of dialogue. I wish the game in general had been a lot more "show, don't tell" as the characters comment on literally everything. It could have been a more interesting game if it was more like something akin to Gone Home where the player is able to interpret and explore the objects, rather than having everything over-narrated by the player characters. It made the writing feel amateurish, and lacking in confidence. Also, the timeline of the game is confusing; all the clothes and objects seem to be intended to have this timeless quality, but then the dialogue is referencing things like Animorphs and Street Fighter. This in particular doesn't make any sense; the present era of the game is meant to be 60-70 years after Animorphs books were popular, but characters still reference things like Dragon Ball Z. Is anyone really going to care about DBZ and Street Fighter that long from now? It just feels like the writer inserted things from their own pop cultural frame of reference than really putting effort into the dialogue. It should have either stuck with that timeless quality and not have any pop culture references, or be more consistent about it.

There are other things I didn't like, but I do want to admit that I did find some aspects of this game quite poignant and sweet, and it is only 4 hours long so you can burn through it in an afternoon. That's why I'm nitpicking it so much; I wanted to like it more than I did.
  96. Nov 23, 2012
    An amazing little indie game that cuts down on gameplay in favour of a beautiful, memorable and touching storyline, I even found myself tearing up in certain scenes with the help of the top-notch soundtrack, and i'm the type of guy that cries probably once or twice a century. If you get this game make sure you play through the entire game before making your judgement, it's well worth it, and IMHO better than the majority of movies released nowadays. beautiful beautiful beautiful! Expand
  97. Nov 28, 2013
    Its much better then I ever expected. I expected some kind of asian RPG game. But its a great story, told by the tools of an old RPG like game. I couldnt stop playing it untill I finished it. Its a real treasure, I would really miss the experiance if I never bought that game.
  98. Apr 28, 2013
    I just finished the game and it's just amazing, when I first read about the game in my head I really thought it was going to be a very serious game, but it actually really had its funny moments and I loved that. The story turned out beautifully and the music is also really nice. Loved the game!
  99. Dec 15, 2012
    Jesus this game was amazing. It was original, well written, the characters were like-able and relate-able, its soundtrack would add just the right feeling to the scene, adding to what the scene was already giving you... this game is just great. Aside from a few bugs that emerge from the games engine, such as getting stuck or accidentally getting glitched somewhere, this game is basically perfect in what it tries to do. I can't really say much more than that. Expand
  100. Mar 5, 2013
    It doesn't offer very much in terms of gameplay or graphics and it's not a very long game either, but the story telling is just amazing and very touching. There are very few games out there which manages to cause intense emotions like this game. This is perhaps the most valuable game I ever played.

1. Oct 27, 2012
    To The Moon is one of those games you instantly fall in love with. With it's simple, but elegant design, incredible writing, and thrilling, heartfelt tale, To The Moon is more story than game, but what a story it is.
  2. Oct 23, 2012
    To The Moon's charming sense of humor and unabashed ease with tossing around pop culture references (from Dr. Who and Animorphs down to Dragon Ball Z) kept the serious, and at times quite gloomy overtones from feeling too self-serious. And so, with John and River's tale being told, restructured and sent to the moon in a heartfelt and memorable way; I am able to walk away from To The Moon satisfied, and looking forward to the next installment in this world.
  3. Sep 3, 2012
    If you're into having your tears tugged at, this will definitely be a change from nights spent curling up on the couch spectating those romance flicks that no one else gets. If you're someone who winds up stuck with the aforementioned individual, originally promised beer and tricked into the awkward Kleenex duty, no guilt will be harbored from missing out.