7.5

1. Oct 8, 2013
    I was really hoping that this game would turn the direction this series started to head after the last two games back in the direction of greatness. What I got was a decent game that nowhere near lives up to the legacy of the first 3 games in the series. Alot of the talk has been about the change of the Voice Actor for Sam in this game. It wouldn't really bother so much if this new guyI was really hoping that this game would turn the direction this series started to head after the last two games back in the direction of greatness. What I got was a decent game that nowhere near lives up to the legacy of the first 3 games in the series. Alot of the talk has been about the change of the Voice Actor for Sam in this game. It wouldn't really bother so much if this new guy wasn't so much of a complete Everything he says is a jab at someone else or just a complete snarky comment. The old Sam was never like that and I definitely don't like it. Fortunately most everything else in the game is done very well. The story missions are very fun with alot of intrigue, even if they did go back to the old "one alarm and you lose the mission" crap the old games tried to throw at you. On the PC, you're forced to go through Ubisoft's Uplay service and, while it'll never be as good as Steam, it's got a few things going for it so it's definitely not bad. The issue is with alot of the bugs and technical problems. I have a system that is only a little over a year old and this game was buggy, never could run at a decent framerate no matter what I did, and just never could catch up to the action it felt like. I always had to play on the lowest framerate and I have never had to go below Ultra on any game with this system. Overall, I had a good experience with this game but it wasn't enough. Splinter Cell is one of the true Stealth games on the market today but it's disheartening that the developers have decided not to listen to their fans. Instead they have decided to make a game that could have been great had a few things been changed up. In the end, I definitely wouldn't recommend playing this on the PC. Opt for the console version if you really want to play this game. Expand
  2. Oct 2, 2013
    Boring missions and annoying as well. The game claims you can go in Rambo style but you really can't since you get a dozen more enemies that just swarm you and kill you fast, really fast. You get a plane that serves as your base and you can upgrade it to get better stuff and some help during missions. Side missions are either defeat waves of enemies or sneak in and do stuff without beingBoring missions and annoying as well. The game claims you can go in Rambo style but you really can't since you get a dozen more enemies that just swarm you and kill you fast, really fast. You get a plane that serves as your base and you can upgrade it to get better stuff and some help during missions. Side missions are either defeat waves of enemies or sneak in and do stuff without being seen, quite a disappointment. There are no side stuff you can collect to find out more about your enemies or what's going on, just some computers you hack (hold a button) and get money. Boooooring!!!!! Expand
  3. Sep 6, 2015
    this game is so good infiltration action game. i always feel good tense in while gaming. i want to play the other this game series. the only bad thing of this game is the volume. volume is a little small
  4. Sep 17, 2013
    i really can't understand why people are giving this game a bad score this is a great no i think this is the best splinter cell game ever people say it's like call of duty and so why it isn't like that at all unlike conviction there is no action in this game at all except for one mission one mission from over 25 missions is action you get amazing gadgets amazing graphics andi really can't understand why people are giving this game a bad score this is a great no i think this is the best splinter cell game ever people say it's like call of duty and so why it isn't like that at all unlike conviction there is no action in this game at all except for one mission one mission from over 25 missions is action you get amazing gadgets amazing graphics and outstanding atmosphere just play the game and then be honest and say you're opinion don't be a troller and support the developers Expand
  5. Dec 12, 2015
    Gameplay : 9
    Graphics : 10
    Story : 9
    Sound : 10
    Overall : 9
  6. Aug 27, 2013
    Splinter Cell Blacklist is one of the most visually stunning games to date with great gameplay this game goes hand in hand. However while the story is defiantly an improvement, we think the ending on the other hand could have been handled better as we felt it was just cut off.
  7. Sep 12, 2014
    Massive shame. As a fan of the original titles I was awfully put off by the opening and first level gameplay offered by blacklist. Though impressed by the quality of its production I can't stand to see the standard set by this series drift this far from stealth simulation. Missing the tongue in cheek humour of fisher, multi vision mode, sound detection ai and just the calm realisticMassive shame. As a fan of the original titles I was awfully put off by the opening and first level gameplay offered by blacklist. Though impressed by the quality of its production I can't stand to see the standard set by this series drift this far from stealth simulation. Missing the tongue in cheek humour of fisher, multi vision mode, sound detection ai and just the calm realistic professionalism of the characters and slow-er-than-tv-show pace helped create tense and complex gameplay scenarios that splintered an early audience and earned new fans at the time of the original 2002 xbox release.

On top of this expect strange, inhuman movement animations and mechanics that betray the original entirely replacing the concept of moving slowly like a spider preying in the darkness transform here to what feels like a rabid snake flailing from cover to cover snapping at it's ai crippled victims. Actually stopped playing after 40 mins as NOTHING felt stealthy anymore. I guess its open market on who can create the best stealth/spy simulator looks like kojima has reclaimed that title for now.
  8. Jan 3, 2015
    I wasn't sure if I should get this game, because Ubisoft, but it was for sale and I ended up enjoying it. The missions are fun, gameplay is great and it's simply good entertainment. It's great that you can play the game however you want (sneak or assault), that adds a lot of replay value.

If you rush the story, you won't have all the nice equipment by the end, because you lack credits to unlock it. I suggest you play sidemissions, coop and multiplayer until you have the right equipment for the story, because it's even more fun with access to the good weapons and gadgets.
  9. Mar 5, 2015
    SHORT VERSION:
    Underneath the many small flaws and irritations, SplinterCell:Blacklist is still "ok" in the end, and sometimes even enjoyable. I can recommend it at the sale price.
    LONG VERSION (WITH SOME RANTING): Sorry, but I will have to go against consensus and say this is no better than SplinterCell:Conviction, which was average in my opinion. The intro video is great, but the
    SHORT VERSION:

LONG VERSION (WITH SOME RANTING):
    The intro video is great, but the rest of the game does not hold up quite as well.

As with the last game, the campaign story is decent - very much like a typical hollywood action movie, and most enjoyable if you don't try to think too hard.
    Gameplay mechanics are ok - fairly solid and very conventional. There are the typical minor issues and inconsistencies, but nothing too bad. As usual you observe the predefined enemy patrols, and sneak past when a gap inevitably appears. If you follow this rule successfully, you are never forced to improvise (unless its scripted). Level design is still too tight and linear, offering no real freedom in how to approach an objective, but this is normal for mainstream console games. I do miss the greater freedom of movement games like IGI 2, Stalker, and ARMA offer though, when you are infiltrating enemy positions. At least the visual detail in some areas was quite good. There is also the usual over emphasis on cover in the level design. Whether you are sneaking or shooting, you will spend most of your time glued to cover and pressing a key to dash to the next conveniently placed cover object. I can put up with this, but it gets repetitive quickly - the market is already saturated with cover based shooters.

Sam's new voice actor and model are less likeable. He used to be mature, calm, witty and cynical, but now he comes across like a smug jerk. And they made him younger and heavier - he looks like a steroid-pumped rip-off Commander Shepherd from Mass Effect. He also looks angry all the time and delivers so many lame pep-talk statements with a cold suave voice.
    The setup of Sam's new team is less believable - A small group of super elite ex-teens with total freedom, subject to absolutely no bureaucracy, with "license to kill", who report directly to the US president? come on! Also, the depiction of technology is so full of BS, even by SplinterCell standards, that it is immersion breaking. The computer interface the protagonists use looks more like gibberish alien tech from Starwars than something from real life. It seems the devs tried too hard to impress gamers who they assume are just as dull-minded and tech illiterate as them. Some events in the story are so utterly laughable that I cannot resist analyzing an example here (MINOR SPOILER WARNING):
    In the singleplayer story, the team's huge transport plane loses power in-flight. To "lose weight" and slow the loss of altitude, the team dumps a helicopter out of the loading bay. Facepalm. (And I'm not even describing the stupid way they get it out the door) Assuming a weight of 350 tons for the aircraft (a loaded Antonov-124), and a weight of 4 tons for the helicopter (AS565 Panther), that small loss of weight is not going to help much, and opening the loading door would induce massive additional drag, causing greater loss of altitude. Why not jetisson most of the fuel? Military aircraft often have systems to do that. (An Antonov-124 can hold up to 200 tons of fuel, up to half the entire weight of the aircraft) But I guess that would not have been "dramatic" enough. Most video games lack plausibility to varying extents, but Blacklist is one of the worst offenders.

The control scheme has been changed since last game, and for the worse. Who thought binding “Use”, "Open/Smash Door", “Climb/Vault” and “Move to next cover” all to 1 button was a good idea? (you cannot change this). This is not a game breaking flaw, but is it really asking too much to let us use separate buttons for everything on our 100+ key controllers (aka keyboards). Controls feel a bit sluggish and sometimes even unresponsive. The 3rd person camera feels wrong - too much randomly changing perspective and mouse sensitivity. Night vision is near useless, might as well turn up gamma on my monitor. Alt-tab no longer works (at least not for me in Dx11). I did not have many of these problems in SplinterCell:Conviction.

As for multiplayer: "The Splinter Cell Blacklist service is not available. Please try again later."

I also notice this game series is feeling more and more like an Assassins Creed or FarCry3 clone. It seems Ubisoft is trying to be a bit too efficient with pooling development resources between it's studios, and as a result all their games feel very similar. Its not a big problem, and not necessarily a bad thing (copying the best features across all your games).

Overall this is by no means a 'bad game'. None of the flaws are game breaking, and if you can live with all the irritations I mentioned, you will probably enjoy it. Otherwise, you should put Ubisoft, Uplay, and this game on your blacklist.
  10. May 28, 2017
    This is not a stealth game at all. All the time is face to face in enemy because the levels designed to be that.
    Weapons in game is loud and poor. Missions are not interested. The Double Agent is old but better than Blacklist.
  11. Nov 7, 2014
    I LIKED this game and I'm not a big fan of shooters that have little strategy. I found the side missions were interesting but too few and I don't play coop or multiplayer so I couldn't experience those missions. But the solo missions were challenging enough. The main mission was interesting, and it took a while to figure out the tactics. You do need a pretty good gaming computer to avoidI LIKED this game and I'm not a big fan of shooters that have little strategy. I found the side missions were interesting but too few and I don't play coop or multiplayer so I couldn't experience those missions. But the solo missions were challenging enough. The main mission was interesting, and it took a while to figure out the tactics. You do need a pretty good gaming computer to avoid issues, and I would highly recommend this game to those who like a combination of stealth and strength. Expand
  12. Apr 9, 2016
    Blacklist finally manages to blend action and stealth in a satisfying manner. The experience retains most of the cerebral aspect of the original trilogy but also gains in action and momentum. The level design is as always, the star of the show and is both varied and challenging. The optional objectives add thrill and the different mission approaches such as Panther and Ghost add aBlacklist finally manages to blend action and stealth in a satisfying manner. The experience retains most of the cerebral aspect of the original trilogy but also gains in action and momentum. The level design is as always, the star of the show and is both varied and challenging. The optional objectives add thrill and the different mission approaches such as Panther and Ghost add a satisfying level of incentive and reward.
    Gadgets and character customization are both fun and mechanically relevant. The production value is as good as ever and the visual presentation is good. That said, it is unfortunate that the game lost so much of its flair and sense of style; The minimalist, noir/Clancy ambiance was sacrificed in exchange for a cheap B television drama look and feel. The replacement of Micheal Ironside from the cast, straight-up destroyed the character of Sam Fisher and all the charisma that went with it. Black list is a good game, it is a competent game, but in some fundamental way, it is not the Splinter cell we all come to know and love.
  13. Aug 27, 2013
    Let me just start off by saying this game has derailed far, far away from Splinter Cell, at least, the way it used to be.
    Think of this game as Conviction, but it having more freedom and customization. I guess all games have to go modern and become renewed eventually, and I honestly think this new Splinter Cell isn't too bad.
    The new Sam Fisher is extremely stupid how old is he (around
    The new Sam Fisher is extremely stupid how old is he (around 57)? How the hell can he pull off the stuff he does in-game at this age? Not to mention he looks like he had a face surgery and a voice transplant (yes, yes, I know there's a new voice actor, which was inevitable after so many games).
    Considering this is a console port, I was positively surprised. There are a lot of options to choose and graphics look crisp and well-made (there are a few low quality textures for some reason, though).
    The controls are a little confusing, sadly. You share controls as Sam, as Spy and as Merc (multiplayer portion of the game, of course). Aiming is a little unresponsive and sluggish, luckily, shutting off V-Sync and reducing a few graphical options will help this problem (I hate how people mistake mouse lag with render lag and low FPS).
    The character animations are surprisingly well-done. Lipsync, movement and activity animations are up-to-par with today's games. Not to mention the camerawork is top notch, which adds to the experience quite greatly.
    I have to admire this game for the choices it gives you. It's certainly a step up from previous Splinter Cell games, which were more focused on the missions themselves. There are three different never-changing playstyles for each mission, four difficulties, not to mention the in-game narrative allows you walk around your main 'hub', talk to characters and choose optional missions and also make some moral and non-story-driven choices while in missions.
    Every mission is different, with the same objective every time get to your objective while choosing your approach through gadgets, weapons, the environment and of course your playstyle. You can cool off the main story by playing some optional missions alone or with a friend, and, of course, playing the multiplayer.
    The game has an interesting story, it's not too advanced or too simple, but it collides with the gameplay aspect of the game well enough to keep you interested.
    A few complaints about the gameplay, though the AI seems a little underdeveloped. At times, AI would spot me from across the room, and at other times, I would sit in the light, in the open and the enemy would just walk past me. A few interesting concepts of how the AI works are shown in a few areas of the game, but that's pretty much the only fun part of the single-player AI. Luckily, it's not game-breaking.
    Hiding bodes has been re-introduced. Once again, the AI is a little buggy, but if they do manage to spot a non-hidden body, they will start searching for you, which could cause problems getting to your objective. ESPECIALLY in close-quarter, claustrophobic areas.
    Spies vs Mercs is back, of course, and it's fun, even with the control problems I mentioned before.
    I have heard some people are having technical problems with DX9 and/or DX11 with the game crashing. My game never crashed (although alt-TABing pisses me off because the game automatically sets itself to windowed every time I want to step out of the game for a second). This will probably be fixed by new NVIDIA/AMD drivers and/or by game patch.
    Overall, I think this game is a good step up for the series, although Sam Fisher is getting too old for this. I think it's about time a new protagonist comes from the shadows before we see a 70 year old spy with a grumpy character saving the world again. Now THAT would be silly.
    DON'T GET ANY IDEAS, UBISOFT.
  14. Sep 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game, nice stealth and combat, nice gameplay, good repeatability. Story is good till the half of the game, but when we get close to the ending it's became every moment more bad, then we got the ending... a fast one that make me think they had hurry to finish the game. Also it seems that the real last ending will be a DLC... major letdown here.
    If the ending were better i would have given a 9.
  15. Jul 22, 2014
    A very fun stealth game with a very good pc port. The story is also fairly good. The multiplayer for the most part is dead though. But aside from that it's good.
  16. Oct 19, 2013
    this game is good though i expected it to be better. the game really lets you feel like a spy, and you have a lot of cool gadgets. some levels are big which give you a lot of reason to come back and play them. the story is pretty good, though i preffered convictions story.characters are also pretty good. a really good thing is the talks with sara(his daughter) between missions. the stealththis game is good though i expected it to be better. the game really lets you feel like a spy, and you have a lot of cool gadgets. some levels are big which give you a lot of reason to come back and play them. the story is pretty good, though i preffered convictions story.characters are also pretty good. a really good thing is the talks with sara(his daughter) between missions. the stealth mechanics are solid, and you can hide bodies(which you couldnt with conviction.) the game also lets you choose how to play (most of the times) and gives you a lot of options and tools for every playstyle.
    the game does have some problems. first of all, the graphics arent good. theyre a bit below average. faces also look pretty bad.lip syncing is also an issue. the game also has some technical issues like prompts not appearing. the port for the pc feels clunky and unresponsive. also a problem is that sometimes the game forces you to a style of play, like assault style. this moments are annoying and bad, because the shooting mechanics arent good enough to support these moments. the multiplayer is ok, nothing more than that.
    overall a good game. i expected it to be better. its too bad that it technical shortcomings take it back.
  17. Aug 31, 2013
    It was a good story, side missions were good, only the future waves of enemies did not like. The interrogation was lacking, but at least they were making.
  18. Sep 13, 2013
    Great sequel for a great game. Clearly this game beats up its successor Splinter Cell Conviction. The graphics are very good. The game mechanics are advanced, well defined and amazing. The gameplay is good. The storyline is nice. That's all i have to say. Great game. Deservedly 10 out of 10.
  19. Jan 29, 2014
    This game is horrendous! I was given this game by a friend, thinking that it would be good.
    After a painful hour of installing this (and having to patch everything up, thanks to the abomination that is uPlay). The second I was given control of the main character, I was instantly disappointed. Average visuals, clunky and stiff controls, and it suffers massive frame drops.
    After about a

After about a half hour of playing this, I gave up and uninstalled it. I'm glad I didn't spend $90 on this excuse of a port.
    Dark Souls was a better PC port compared to this.
  20. Oct 27, 2013
    Somewhat good game but terrible PC optimization. The graphics are noticeably very good but I get poor framerates out of the blue especially during multiplayer. The story is very forgettable with undeveloped characters. This game brings back the flair of the original splinter cells but forgets most of it and goes back to conviction gameplay. I went non lethal for all the missions but feltSomewhat good game but terrible PC optimization. The graphics are noticeably very good but I get poor framerates out of the blue especially during multiplayer. The story is very forgettable with undeveloped characters. This game brings back the flair of the original splinter cells but forgets most of it and goes back to conviction gameplay. I went non lethal for all the missions but felt robbed as Sam would always just kill in each of the cutscenes.

Controls are sometimes infuriating and can easily be the death of you. (I played this on realistic) Multiplayer can be fun for an easy 6 hours. Singleplayer seemed like an average time to beat, but then again I was playing on realistic w/ non lethal and died every 10 min.

High production values, low originality, and tries to appeal to a wide audience with its customization. But still unless your looking for this type of gameplay this will not be your cup of tea. Reason for the 6/10 is for all of the PC problems and it's major and minor flaws. This game appeals to many people, as much as it doesn't. Not high replay value wait for it to get cheaper. Good for 20-40 min a day as it comes in bursts.
  21. Mar 13, 2014
    I have not a single clue why this is called splinter cell, or why it is labeled a stealth game. Stealth for dummies would be a better title (If it had any stealth). It is clear that these people have no idea why previous installment were successful because the core mechanics have been scrapped and dumbed down to something new and horrible. Every single aspect of this game is utterlyI have not a single clue why this is called splinter cell, or why it is labeled a stealth game. Stealth for dummies would be a better title (If it had any stealth). It is clear that these people have no idea why previous installment were successful because the core mechanics have been scrapped and dumbed down to something new and horrible. Every single aspect of this game is utterly abysmal. Everything from controls to user interface has a bad feel and hinders any chance at fun gameplay. They could not even bother to take the time to work with the lighting properly. If your gaming room has any sort of window to the outside you will be unable to see anything on screen while you play as a merc (Who no longer have flashlights for some reason.) Stealth is about being patient and tactical, neither of which are present in this sprint to kill mess. This is not only yet another slap in the face to all fans of the series, but even managed to be worse than conviction when it comes to controls and movement. This game is clearly made to cater to people to brain dead to be bothered with real stealth or tactics (Casual Gamers).
    Boycott this uncreative atrocity that spits on the epic name of splinter cell. Avoid at all costs, oblivion and morrowind have better stealth than this.
  22. Aug 9, 2016
    I'm gonna try not to compare this to the previous entries in the series and just judge it as a stand alone release in what's been a pretty good franchise. I also could care less about the new voice actor. Ironside was not used, the voice is different, and I was over it after about 2 seconds into the game.

What we have here is a solid stealth/action hybrid with a decent if not by the

What we have here is a solid stealth/action hybrid with a decent if not by the numbers Clancy style tale. The gameplay is pretty smooth although the contextual actions can aggravate at times. I want to cover behind a wall but instead Fisher jumps down and hangs from a ledge for instance. This is the problem with contextual actions that use the same button. Sometimes you'll open a door when you want flip the light switch for instance. It's annoying when it happens, but thankfully doesn't happen all too oftern

I recommend playing on a high or even the highest difficulty because this game is cake once you get used to the mechanics. Once you unlock the silenced sniper you might as well just be terminator out there, but the higher difficulties will pose a much better challenge with more reactive AI. I like how you can play your way and not be punished for it. However, going all out assault is probably the most boring way to play the game and you'll get punished on the higher diffuculties. I usually like to do mix of all 3 modes. Thin out the herd a bit until I get caught and then finish off the rest. Those damn dogs though. They'll come running at you and you need to aim quick!

I like how the game is setup with a main hub in between missions where you can do some side ops and upgrade your stuff. Talking to the different characters always fleshes out the story a bit more and all characters are interested and voiced well. Makes you want to push through to finish the story. The bad guys are an interesting bunch as well, but really it's just another group of high tech terrorists that we've seen in countless games and movies. It works though and sets up the tension well for each main mission.

This game actually reminded me a lot of MGSV, which I played before this one. The funny thing is this game came out 2 years prior, so looks like they copied a lot of the gameplay style from Blacklist. If you liked MGSV, you'll probably enjoy this too. At this point, you can get it on a discount which makes it a great bargain. Oh yeah, and MP is not bad but some of the side missions are co-op only, which is kind of infuriating if you're a sp only type of gamer. You'll miss out on a few side ops with a key character, so that kind of stinks. These types of things shouldn't be forced down your throat like that. Let me pick to play with the AI on my team at least. Overall, a pretty good game and people are just panning it because it's not like the old splinter cell games. I think it stands up well on its own, but not as good as the first 3 games which are classics.
  23. Sep 4, 2013
    the best stealth game of the last 5 years and defiantly one of the best games of the years. splinter cell continues to be one of the best gaming experiences out there.
  24. Sep 7, 2013
    A mix of Splinter Cell Conviction and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, the most genius mix ever, it's got the awesomeness from Chaos Theory and the smooth gameplay mechanics from Conviction. And the things people say about bad optimization is not true, I run it above 60fps 100% of the time at 1920x1080 and at medium settings with a decent PC.
  25. Feb 9, 2014
    Amazing. Plays just like Conviction, but with even more of an emphasis on stealth, like the older games. The gameplay is immensely satisfying and copies its mechanics from Conviction. Moving from cover to cover is very fluid and you have a ton of customization, diverse gadgets and ways to approach each mission. The story is as expected, very good as far as Splinter Cell goes, and evenAmazing. Plays just like Conviction, but with even more of an emphasis on stealth, like the older games. The gameplay is immensely satisfying and copies its mechanics from Conviction. Moving from cover to cover is very fluid and you have a ton of customization, diverse gadgets and ways to approach each mission. The story is as expected, very good as far as Splinter Cell goes, and even brought some unexpected humor. Michael Ironside couldn't be brought back as Sam. I'm not sure why they couldn't still use his voice, but I'm sure they had their reasons. The story was a fitting sequel to Conviction. The game runs very well, markedly better than Conviction. I was at 60 fps the whole time with vsync on. It looks very pretty, with great light effects, ambient occlusion, and reflections. The more advanced AO and AA takes its toll on framerate, but the game still looks phenomenal with Field AO and FXAA. There's lots of content -- I completed the campaign on Normal in about 15 hours. There's also Spies vs Mercs, as well as various co-op missions. Uplay, while not ideal, should be praised for not being invasive like Steam and Origin. Uplay worked fine for me, no problems except for a short server downtime which prevented me from playing (no big deal). Awesome value considering I got it on sale. Expand
  26. Sep 21, 2013
    after a conviction we cat a game where you can chose if you wont to play as conviction or chost non lethal or just assoult and this is fukking awsome whit easy gameplay you can mark and kill in motion this looks realy cool the story line is realy good nice charecters and solid voice acting you need to stop the blacklist with nice music and great stealh that is gone be a lot of fun theafter a conviction we cat a game where you can chose if you wont to play as conviction or chost non lethal or just assoult and this is fukking awsome whit easy gameplay you can mark and kill in motion this looks realy cool the story line is realy good nice charecters and solid voice acting you need to stop the blacklist with nice music and great stealh that is gone be a lot of fun the graphic on the other hand are a bit lame futher there is a nice custamasazation that gose realy deep and some nice side missions but the waves mode is realy stupid but futher a must own for sp fans and for stealth action fans Expand
  27. Mar 10, 2015
    First splinter cell i ever played. Very good controls, fantastic graphics, solid AI. I think that the difficulty level may be a little too high for some players but overall it was a very pleasant experience. I think this is one of the best stealth games I ever played and surely one of the best 2013 games.
  28. Sep 4, 2014
    A disappointing game for sure... It's sad that the last couple of games were both big letdowns. This game is lacking on many aspects. I just feel they have gone downhill after Conviction with Chaos Theory being the last good one and at this point I don't think any future Splinter Cell game will top that. Definitely not worth the time. Nothing that will make you really like it
  29. Aug 21, 2013
    Ok, it's a console port, I get that. Now, if you want to provide constructive criticism, find something else to rant about as there's more to games than just graphics quality. Otherwise, you are just whining.

I've played only 2 hours of the campaign so far, and I'm not disappointed. Controls are a little challenging at first, but you quickly get used to them. It's light-years ahead of Conviction and Double Agent in terms of gameplay: you can choose how to complete your missions: guns blazing, stealth, non-lethal; they are all fun to play.

I've paid $60 for this game; it's worth every penny!
  30. May 12, 2014
    First off, I gotta say, this game was sleek as all hell. Great cutscenes, mo-cap, and how you move makes you always feel in control and like a real badass. Played through mainly non-lethal, but I couldn't resist headshotting people from time to time. So many awesome tactics you can go through, it was always nice setting up a plan to take out a group of enemies and methodically goingFirst off, I gotta say, this game was sleek as all hell. Great cutscenes, mo-cap, and how you move makes you always feel in control and like a real badass. Played through mainly non-lethal, but I couldn't resist headshotting people from time to time. So many awesome tactics you can go through, it was always nice setting up a plan to take out a group of enemies and methodically going through with it. It was so good, that I barely used Mark & Execute, unlike in Conviction.

Story-wise, it was a pretty good ride. I liked the action movie style pressure on the situation, and while the characters were essentially the archetypes you'd expect: stern but kind leader Grim, awkward hipster-dressed genius Charlie, and fierce, serious tough guy Briggs (who overlapped with Sam). Like I said above, the mo-cap was great, and while cutscenes did sometimes dip into uncanny valley it was immersive. The plot? Good enough excuse to go globetrotting and take down the enemies there...now what the hell 'fifth freedom' is, I need to Google. The environments themselves I liked, even though some were a little too linear.

Overall: good plot, interesting characters, badass gameplay, and nice environments. Should buy.
  31. Aug 24, 2013
    The game have been improved since the last installment. Ubisoft added new features you dicide different things etc) or has combined some old with new one. Also, Non Lethal/ Lethal (Ghost-Panther-Assault) choice help you to play the game in the way you like. They tried to bring the game into its roots. Furthermore, the co-op mode have fun, i enjoyed a lot especially when you teammate playsThe game have been improved since the last installment. Ubisoft added new features you dicide different things etc) or has combined some old with new one. Also, Non Lethal/ Lethal (Ghost-Panther-Assault) choice help you to play the game in the way you like. They tried to bring the game into its roots. Furthermore, the co-op mode have fun, i enjoyed a lot especially when you teammate plays properly The multiplayer (Spies v Mercs) wasn't so good as campaign, but i'm glad to see it back, (I always buy this franchise for the campaign), if you play as Spy, you play like Sam Fisher, on the opposite side, if you play as Merc, you just play more like a FPS, Call of Duty. To finish, the PC version had some problem with DX11 (crash or lag) and also with the controls. Anyway, 8 equalizes the good of the game with the cons. Expand
  32. Nov 17, 2013
    This review is just for singleplayer. The game's plot and gameplay aren't perfect but aren't bad at the same time, they are just ordinary. It's really simple. the enemies are a bit stupid. It's worth playing, if you like such sort of games.
  33. Sep 13, 2013
    A fine return to form for Splinter Cell.
    A fine return to form for Splinter Cell.
    I was super mad when Ironside got replaced as Sam Fisher, but I honestly quit caring about an hour into the game because the gameplay was so damn good (the story was enthralling as well). The story was well paced and kept me playing for hours at a time. The side missions are very entertaining as well (especially Kobin's missions where you have to eliminate whole swaths of enemies without being detected).
    I chose to play most missions either ghost or panther style which excluding a few setpiece moments is a very viable option. There are lots of nooks and crannies to explore (pipes to climb, vents to hide in, sewers to crawl through) as either style. Conviction was a fun game, but didn't have quite as much stealth as Splinter Cell fans wanted. This game does. The melee kills/knockouts are really fun (like always) and the new killing in motion concept was pretty damn cool.
    TLDR: It was polished, controls really well, told a great story, and scratches a stealth junkie's itch. Uplay is kind of and I had some troubles with it, but I turned it to offline mode and no problems since.
  34. Mar 9, 2014
    I am glad I got this game for free or I would feel upset at the waste of money. The stealth feels unsatisfying. Control options feel less than intuitive. And going loud and proud though the game doesn't work until you unlock moderate armor. I can't count how many times I've been locked down by enemies shooting at me leaving to just wait until I die since the controls wouldn't let me atI am glad I got this game for free or I would feel upset at the waste of money. The stealth feels unsatisfying. Control options feel less than intuitive. And going loud and proud though the game doesn't work until you unlock moderate armor. I can't count how many times I've been locked down by enemies shooting at me leaving to just wait until I die since the controls wouldn't let me at least limp away from open fire.

On the plus side, getting money doesn't feel too terribly difficult as long as you spend it wisely. Some of the dialogue is humorous. The customization is neat. Still, as my first foray into the world of splinter cell, I am left wondering what made this series so great when games like this are produced.
  35. Aug 27, 2013
    Enjoted blacklist very much! Levels design are so awesome, its on same level as deus ex for me. Perfect stealth gameplay. The music and sound are very good. Sam really look cool, like true commander, all hes moves and stuf like that make him looks as real soldier. When playing this game its similar to watch some really nice military movie. Game looks very good on ultra, but no 16:10 support?
  36. Sep 26, 2015
    Unless you make ALL the missions have a solo version instead of forcing co-op vomit down our throats your game deserves a zero. Scrotalplayer is for a minority, cater to the majority, the single player.
  37. Aug 23, 2013
    Splinter cell blacklist is somewhat of a homecoming/slap in the face for me. The first thing you notice about the game is that Sam does not sound the same. It's weird hearing a thirty something year old actor voice a fifty something year old character. The game play is great and feels like a mixture of chaos theory and conviction. The story revolves around Sam stopping the blackSplinter cell blacklist is somewhat of a homecoming/slap in the face for me. The first thing you notice about the game is that Sam does not sound the same. It's weird hearing a thirty something year old actor voice a fifty something year old character. The game play is great and feels like a mixture of chaos theory and conviction. The story revolves around Sam stopping the black list, which is a series of attacks to hurt the U.S.. The game is great and really plays well but, the fact that the developers changed Sam's voice really pulls me out of the experience. The developers say that Michael Ironside istoo old to do the mocap is B.S.. The developers said the same thing about agent 47 and he was eventually reunited with the role because the fans care. Overall splinter cell blacklist is a good game, but small things like Sam's voice and parts of the game that force you to be aggressive hold this game back from being a perfect 10. Expand
  38. Aug 23, 2013
    In the title it stands "Splinter Cell", although it doesn't feel like Splinter Cell. It feel more like
    Splinter Cell: Conviction vol. 2. The characters are flat and boring without any depth. But, in the defense of Splinter Cell series, the characters had never any real depth in the series. Sam Fisher doesn't feel like Sam Fisher any more. The way he talks and moves is different and not different in good way. He sounds like a guy without any conviction, without any real threat in his voice. He always moves quickly, even when he "sneaks". He climbs fast too, like a spiderman, and it looks kind of ridiculous and very unrealistic, since he is an old man. I felt right from the beginning that it was different from previous Splinter Cell series. More action oriented, which defies the whole idea of what Splinter Cell series is all about. I see this new trend in more games now. I understand why Ubisoft made this approach. They wish too appeal too wider audience, I get that. But on the other hand, they are in danger of alienating fan boys who like this game for the slow sneaking pace. When I play this new Sam Fisher now, I felt like I was playing an inexperienced boy scout playing sneaking and shooting for fun. Not like the bad ass Sam Fisher with his deep voice that gave him character and with his black sense of humor that suited Sam Fisher character perfectly. There are a lot of new options in the game. There is a lot of new gadgets available for purchase. But is it a good thing. It can be, but it's not because of the new costumes or new fancy that you can buy and upgrade. It's the tension and excitement of sneaking that made this game series great. Some people may like this "freedom to choose", I guess. But too much choice can make it as an unnecessary distraction. I'll be honest. I haven't play the whole game, but I don't think if I have patience to get through the whole game. I got tired of this fast pace action shooting game, with sneaking elements, very fast. I understand that this game have some appeal, but it's not for me. Call me old faction, but I like sneaking and hiding in the shadows, the Sam Fisher way, the old
  39. Aug 24, 2014
    This is more or less a Splinter Cell Double Agent with the style of SC Conviction, nothing more. Some spots (some=very few) felt exactly like Chaos Theory but it was just not enough. The game feels like a normal blockbuster, and ubisoft added all these features about unlocking equipment, upgrading and buying stuff with money you earn by doing the mission in a certain way and doing stupidThis is more or less a Splinter Cell Double Agent with the style of SC Conviction, nothing more. Some spots (some=very few) felt exactly like Chaos Theory but it was just not enough. The game feels like a normal blockbuster, and ubisoft added all these features about unlocking equipment, upgrading and buying stuff with money you earn by doing the mission in a certain way and doing stupid soulless side missions and so on....

Well, I did not like it and I am a huge fan of Sam Fisher. It is ok, it feels like Splinter Cell but it is still the rotten Splinter Cell we carry on since Double Agent. Buy it very cheap if you really miss some stealth action but be warned, it does not differ so much from the latest Splinter Cell games. The atmosphere is just not there. Repetitive missions, and not enough communicative.

40. Nov 23, 2013
    Have you ever played one of those 'stealth' games where as long as you don't stand directly in front of the enemy they can't see you.
    Well, Blacklist isn't one of those games. The AI is fantastic. And taking down multiple guys without getting spotted is quite thrilling.
    My main gripes with Conviction is that it seemed to be a corridor shooter with stealth elements added afterwards and the game seemed to want you to do anything but go stealthy. The latter has been addressed, but there are still quite a few moments where you'll be doing distinctly non-stealth related activities.
    Overall a very enjoyable game.
  41. Dec 2, 2014
    The story is good, I cant blame Tom Clancy's books. But Ubisoft made a bad console port to pc, leaving the optimization with too much to do, so the game crashes and is annoying very often.
  42. Sep 9, 2013
    This game is a major hit in for the PC genre. Its even better than the Xbox 360. The gameplay and the game mechanics for the pc are amazing. The controls are well defined and easy to master.The levels are challenging. The graphics are obviously 2 times better than of Splinter Cell Conviction. This game beats its in most of the aspects of the game series.
  43. Aug 20, 2013
    If you liked any of the previous splinter cells you will enjoy this game, the voice change takes some getting used to but its a splinter cell with the stealth element back!
  44. Aug 30, 2013
    Just like Conviction this game is incorrectly sold as a stealth game when in reality it is nothing but a cover-to-cover action shooter. Like Conviction, it has optional stealth segments here and there but it is by far the most inferior way of completing your missions and is basically a handicap unlike the Splinter Cell games of old where stealth was your best ally. The 2 comes from theJust like Conviction this game is incorrectly sold as a stealth game when in reality it is nothing but a cover-to-cover action shooter. Like Conviction, it has optional stealth segments here and there but it is by far the most inferior way of completing your missions and is basically a handicap unlike the Splinter Cell games of old where stealth was your best ally. The 2 comes from the fact that it looks decent and it runs okay after the patch but I couldn't stand the game for very long due to the above issue and because personally (as a non-American) I found the overly-patriotic "God bless 'Murrica" story to be vomit-inducing. I'll pass, thanks. Expand
  45. Sep 3, 2013
    Why you should buy it:
    -Fantastic graphics
    -Dynamic physics engine
    -Combat doesn't get boring (lot's of choices/takedowns/weapons)
    -Plot makes you feel gung-ho

Why you shouldn't buy it:
    -Storyline is like a C level action flick
    -Multiplayer is static, boring, and Co-op is worthless w/o a SOLID teammate
    -The price (unless you buy a Nvidia promo code off of someone)
  46. Sep 13, 2013
    Even thou pretty much everything what Ubisoft released since AC3 was really bad and crappy, SC Blacklist was indeed a good game, therefore i barely understand the lots of negative userscore on this one. Comparing SC Blacklist with SC Convicton the maps and gamemodes are way better now. Pretty much as Ubi did with every release since AC3 they kinda screwed the controls, they where betterEven thou pretty much everything what Ubisoft released since AC3 was really bad and crappy, SC Blacklist was indeed a good game, therefore i barely understand the lots of negative userscore on this one. Comparing SC Blacklist with SC Convicton the maps and gamemodes are way better now. Pretty much as Ubi did with every release since AC3 they kinda screwed the controls, they where better in SC Conviction, however the survival game modes are nice, pure stealth maps, and there is lots to play with it, if they release any good DLC s for it i ll get it. So afterall i am surprised that Ubi is still able to release good games, to be honest i didnt expect it anymore from Ubi. The 8 out of 10 is for the screwed controls, and for the still insane amount of bugs they have within the game. Also the Ubi rewards for that game are rather stupid then usefull. Expand
  47. Oct 24, 2013
    If you enjoyed Conviction, you will enjoy this edition of splinter cell as well. Sam Fisher's movements are more refined and the environments present a few different ways of approaching a challenge. Character animations are nicely done as well. There are niggling AI issues where they can get stuck behind an object (just waiting to be killed), but broadly they can get pretty challenging. BeIf you enjoyed Conviction, you will enjoy this edition of splinter cell as well. Sam Fisher's movements are more refined and the environments present a few different ways of approaching a challenge. Character animations are nicely done as well. There are niggling AI issues where they can get stuck behind an object (just waiting to be killed), but broadly they can get pretty challenging. Be careful with the Heavy Soldiers. Expand
  48. Aug 18, 2014
    Don't waste your time or your money that's all I have to say..........................................................................................
  49. Aug 23, 2013
    It seems the 5 years between Chaos Theory and Conviction had everyone forget what made the series so different than everything else.

"Stealth Action Redefined" was the original subtitle of Splinter Cell. I always thought that the point of a secret agent was that his existence remained as much a secret as possible. In SC:B, it's quite the contrary. The SC fans will likely opt for the

The SC fans will likely opt for the Ghost approach. In SC:B, being a Ghost means you can be seen by the enemy as long as you knock him out within a second. You can knock out as many people as you want, shoot out light bulbs, destroy cameras, you name it. The next morning, nobody will remember a thing and will probably blame the destroyed light bulbs and cameras on a power surge or something.

You'll go on this mission where you must hack some computers, and where, if you're "detected", the enemy will wipe out the data and the mission will be a failure. But apparently, if you knock out the entire base before hacking the servers, it's not suspicious at all and they won't wipe out the data, because, bleh.

And if you remain completely invisible without leaving as much as a drop of sweat, the game rewards you with a lame 11000 points and a few thousand dollars. If you opt for wiping out the whole base, you'll get 20000+ points and even more money. Even shooting light bulbs rewards you with money.

Everything that was challenging in the previous games is now gone.

It's a somewhat fun game, but it's pretty far from what made Splinter Cell "redefine the stealth action" genre. Sadly, I don't think it's ever coming back.
  50. Jun 10, 2016
    Good story, characters, level design, dialogue (though people tend to speak too fast - hard to follow). The overall gameplay mechanics are decent, but the game occasionally manifests itself as a console port. The main problem is with the E key, which serves too many functions and there's no way to distribute them across different buttons. Your E key interacts with objects like doors, lightGood story, characters, level design, dialogue (though people tend to speak too fast - hard to follow). The overall gameplay mechanics are decent, but the game occasionally manifests itself as a console port. The main problem is with the E key, which serves too many functions and there's no way to distribute them across different buttons. Your E key interacts with objects like doors, light switches or bodies. It's also for initiating a kill animation and picking up weapons. Now imagine a situation where you want to do one thing with this key, but coincidentally there are several animations that can be triggered. I want to go for a kill, but... NO. FISHER CLOSES A **** DOOR IN MY TARGETS FACE AND GETS HIMSELF SHOT IN THE PROCESS. In another instance I got myself into a gunfight and wanted to pick up a weapon while I was behind cover. Coincidentally there was an effing body right next to the weapon. What happens? Fisher is locked into the slow animation for picking up bodies, stands up from cover doing so, AND GETS **** SHOT. In "realism" mode this "realistic" scenario gets you killed in two shots and you have to do everything all over again.

The number of times I had to re-do a level because the game facked me over is uncountable. That impacts the rating. Otherwise it's a classic Splinter Cell experience.
  51. Aug 30, 2014
    I cannot get over how awful this game is. This isn't Splinter Cell. This is a cover-based action shooter with some very light stealth thrown in, and a big chunky helping of modern Ubisoft everything-and-the-kitchen-sink design smattered on top.

Sam Fisher has been turned into Commander Shepard. Why do I need to buy upgrades for my ship, which now serves as a hub to access levels from? And why can I now purchase radar and regenerating health boosts? Was the core Splinter Cell gameplay not interesting enough by itself that you had to add a shallow progression system on top of it that effectively allows you to cheat?

Why was Michael Ironside omitted from the game when he is the most important part of Sam Fisher? There is zero charm in the game now. The dialog and cutscenes are dull and the writing is not much better. Sam sounds like a bland 30-year-old now, yet he's supposed to be in his late 50's. And why can old fart Sam climb, run, jump, and attack 10 times faster than he ever could before? Can Viagra do all that?

By the time I reached the Call of Duty-esque on-rails-grainy-camera-shooter sequence I wanted to barf. Why did Ubisoft feel the need to cater to this crowd? Splinter Cell fans never asked for this. Aside from Conviction, which was far better than Blacklist, the franchise has always been about slow, methodical stealth gameplay. Stealth first, action second. You can't even stealth-open doors in Blacklist--you just throw open every one of them like the James Bond wannabee **** you are.

The music is awful as well, taking a little too much inspiration from Battlefield 3's jarring static fest of a soundtrack. Graphically, it's technically impressive, but artistically bland. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty tired of going to Iraq and Afghanistan in my games. Are there not hundreds of other interesting countries one could create a story around?

We've seen it in Hitman: Absolution. We've seen it in Thief 2014. We've even seen it in Deus Ex: Human Revolution: the dumbing down of games to appeal to a "wider audience". Sometimes it works and we get to see a franchise change directions gracefully, but this time they've gone so far from Splinter Cell's roots that it does not feel like a Splinter Cell game. It just doesn't.
  52. Aug 28, 2013
    Why the bad reviews? PC gamers should be happy to get very nicely ported game with great graphics for once. The PC version of this game was clearly given some thought and effort. The Keyboard and mouse controls work great and I think are even better than the console controls. (I have a XBOX360 gamepad) No, this is not the pure stealth that was in the first couple splinter cells, but atWhy the bad reviews? PC gamers should be happy to get very nicely ported game with great graphics for once. The PC version of this game was clearly given some thought and effort. The Keyboard and mouse controls work great and I think are even better than the console controls. (I have a XBOX360 gamepad) No, this is not the pure stealth that was in the first couple splinter cells, but at least this time stealth is very viable and more importantly FUN!! Playing the ghost style is what splinter cell purists will want to do, but panther is also very fun, the executions are great! The gadgets are better than ever, the level design is great, with multiple paths to attack each objective. The enemies are varied, causing you to mix it up when a heavy infantry or guard dog gets in your way. This is the BEST Splinter Cell since chaos theory and if you don't think so, you're just being an elitist in my opinion. The robust upgrade system and multiplayer modes are also great and add a lot of replay value to this game. No, this isn't best stealth action game ever, that is reserved for metal gear solid 4, but it is the best one SINCE!!! Expand
  53. Jun 15, 2014
    Blacklist is easily the second best iteration of the Splinter Cell series, right after Chaos Theory. The execution system returns, but, unlike in Conviction, pure stealth remains a viable option throughout the game. The game makes concessions to modernity with two unwelcome additions: grinding money to buy equipment (although this can be considered an improvement on Conviction, as you noBlacklist is easily the second best iteration of the Splinter Cell series, right after Chaos Theory. The execution system returns, but, unlike in Conviction, pure stealth remains a viable option throughout the game. The game makes concessions to modernity with two unwelcome additions: grinding money to buy equipment (although this can be considered an improvement on Conviction, as you no longer have to grind unrealistic PEC challenges to upgrade your gear) and easy-mode DLC, which gives you access to unique medium-tier gear from the start. Thankfully, the portable EMP does not return in Blacklist, which means you can no longer rely on it to instantly stun everyone around you whenever you get detected. Despite these problems, Blacklist features fun, thoughtful gameplay and a large variety of missions, as well as the ability to seamlessly replay any mission you choose from the game's hub. The ability to team up with friends for side-missions, which are playable in single-player, helps bridge the gap between solo campaign and co-op; although there is a dedicated co-op mini-campaign. which features elements that simply would not be possible with missions designed to be playable alone or with a partner. The game feels and controls like it was developed for PC rather than being lazily ported, which is fantastic.

If you've been burned by Conviction, Splinter Cell: Blacklist will restore your faith in the series.
  54. Aug 23, 2013
    This game is being way over rated by people. Seriously how can you give it a 10 just from the fact Michael Ironside isn't Sam anymore. Thats a massive downer. I played through then entire campaign and the Sam Fisher in the game still doesn't seem like Sam Fisher to me anymore at all. -2 for that and -1 for there being only 1 good multiplayer game mode. Spy vs merc classic. All the otherThis game is being way over rated by people. Seriously how can you give it a 10 just from the fact Michael Ironside isn't Sam anymore. Thats a massive downer. I played through then entire campaign and the Sam Fisher in the game still doesn't seem like Sam Fisher to me anymore at all. -2 for that and -1 for there being only 1 good multiplayer game mode. Spy vs merc classic. All the other game modes are already dead. You can wait a good 15 min in the lobby and no one joins. Also the fact that 4v4 seems like way to many players for the size of the maps. Other then that complaining right there its still an amazing game. The way i rate games is their worth. Is it worth $60? No. But i would snatch it up on a steam sale for 39.99 or less in a heartbeat. Expand
  55. Oct 13, 2013
    the game is just too boring. I played it and after three missions I had enough. The missions are monotonous, the weapons are no good, the storyline is just too bogus and other like that. Good for kids, for adults.
  56. Jan 3, 2015
    This game suffered from early bugs which resulted in rather low scores. Now after more then year since its release the game runs very solid without any visible bugs or crashes. I had steam steam version of the game, though all versions run through UBI Soft play domain. In my opinion this is one of the best Splinter Cell releases. Graphics is great. The game mechanics follows theThis game suffered from early bugs which resulted in rather low scores. Now after more then year since its release the game runs very solid without any visible bugs or crashes. I had steam steam version of the game, though all versions run through UBI Soft play domain. In my opinion this is one of the best Splinter Cell releases. Graphics is great. The game mechanics follows the traditional SC movement and interaction commands. Missions are challenging enough and can be solved using multiple approaches with solely using stealth to combination of stealth and offensive play. What is different from other SC releases, Blacklist maps have various layers which allow player more freedoms to finish the map using different paths. Also different from previous SC releases, this one offers additional SP maps, which are not part of campaign but also fun to play. They are initiated by talking to Fisher's crew. One negative aspect that I find with this release is somewhat water downed stealth action. Aside from few instances, most maps can be solved easily by brute force, or shooting the way through. This is common issue with stealth games, as most players finds it boring to sneak around without eliminating enemies, so game devs are forced to implement the maps with this in mind. I have not tried MP so I will skip it for this review.
    The game runs on Steam for under 5 buck. If you have not tried it yet, do t by all means.
  57. Feb 23, 2014
    Turns out they not only removed Sam's voice, but his soul as well. If the guy in this game is Sam Fisher, then I am James Bond and I am not even British.
  58. Aug 21, 2013
    crummy console port, don't bother. Short campaign, getting a 2 because Spies vs Mercs was pretty well thought out. As a fan of the original two games this is of course a disappointment.
  59. Oct 6, 2013
    This is my first Splinter Cell game and for sure not the last one. I love it. There is so much stuff in this game... Campaign itself is long and big enough, but you have plenty of side missions you can play solo or in coop. Some very easy, some extremely hard even on normal difficulty. Animations, gameplay, locations, music and details level are very, very good. There is high replay valueThis is my first Splinter Cell game and for sure not the last one. I love it. There is so much stuff in this game... Campaign itself is long and big enough, but you have plenty of side missions you can play solo or in coop. Some very easy, some extremely hard even on normal difficulty. Animations, gameplay, locations, music and details level are very, very good. There is high replay value for each mission, cause you can play it in 3 different ways. Mastering your skills and weapons for sure many people will play it again to get better score. Coop missions are awesome, multiplayer is little hard for me due very quick dying, but can be that it will change when i get used to it, didn`t play MP much yet. Didn`t have too much problems with optimizing PC version. Sometimes i have sound issues but restart solves the problem and i had graphics problems, but these were caused by old drivers. After updating it everything works fine. Recommend this game to everyone Expand
  60. Sep 18, 2013
    First of all I want to state that I have a pretty high end set-up, so none of the graphical glitches and slowdowns that others have reported effected me in my playthrough.

I found the games graphics to be absolutely stunning on the highest settings, in comparison to the console counterpart. I also played the entire campaign on perfectionist just to see how far I could push myself and I have to say I haven't had such a fun time in ages. With multiple routes through every level and some really tough scenarios I had a great time. I also think the equipment progression is a great incentive to do side-missions.

I had a great time with this title and I hope to help a few people if they're sitting on the fence. Action and stealth fans will find a home hear as both those things are something that SC:Blacklist does expertly.
  61. Nov 24, 2013
    Overall Blacklist is a worthy addition to the Splinter Cell series.

Overall Blacklist is a worthy addition to the Splinter Cell series.

The game will definitely appeal to those that enjoyed the original trilogy (Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow, and Chaos Theory) but found Double Agent and Conviction too different from the norm. The stealth gameplay is back in all its night vision, gadget toting glory with the key difference being much more open environments populated with plentiful enemies.

What holds Blacklist back from being a fantastic Splinter Cell game however can be attributed to five distinct elements...

1. Unfortunately Michael Ironside does not reprise his role as Sam Fisher, and despite the virtually unknown Eric Johnson's earnest attempt at it, Sam just doesn't feel the same. Ironside's voice work carried a unique grittiness and weight to it that spoke volumes to Sam's experiences, hardships, and no-nonsense attitude which Johnson just can't replicate. Johnson's Sam may have worked for a younger, more brash version of the character but it doesn't fly here.

2. *SPOILER* The main antagonist of the game, Majid Sadiq, has all the trappings of a great villain and is perfectly acted by Carlo Rota. Like some of the best spy thriller bad guys he comes off as intelligent and charismatic but also brutal and violently committed to his extreme global/political views. However by the end of the game we see this great character fall to pieces and turn into a whimpering moron, seemingly going against all characterization established in most of the game's story. If the writers believed that the audience would applaud this change as a form of comeuppance or resolution they were sadly wrong.

3. During the course of the game the player is given the option to pursue a number of side missions offered by the game's four supporting characters (Grim, Charlie, Briggs, and Kobin). Grim and Kobin's missions fit perfectly into the game with levels dedicated to being stealthy and carrying out snatch and grab missions and the like. Charlie's on the other hand feel terribly out of place due to them being standard "survive X waves of enemies" and Briggs' tasks are co-op ONLY missions. Out of the two of them I was most disappointed with Briggs' as restricting them to co-op feels a little strange for a singleplayer campaign and not completing them makes you feel like you're missing out on the whole experience. At the risk of sounding like an anti-social room troll, I personally have no interest in playing a game like Blacklist with another human being. In my experience there is nothing that breaks immersion and pace more than doing so.

4. In one of the final levels of the game you end up switching between Sam and Briggs for certain periods of time. For some ungodly reason the developers used this opportunity to completely change the gameplay and force you into a first person shooter version of Splinter Cell when you take control of Briggs. The controls feel clunky, the game clearly wants you to run and gun, and the result of this totally goes against the fact that in the story-line Sam has just come around to respecting Briggs and seeing him as an effective, dependable, and highly skilled agent.

5. While not entirely a negative aspect to the game (i.e. it doesn't necessarily harm the end product) I did find myself wondering: why does this game even exist? Whether you liked Conviction or not the fact remains that that game was a good ending point for Sam Fisher's story. Sure, it may have deviated pretty far from where it all started but the only ones clamoring for a Splinter Cell revival were the most rabid of fanboys who just couldn't let Conviction be the LAST of the series. Match this with the fact that the developer chose to not bring Michael Ironside back and you're left wondering why they even needed to make a new game.

Last but not least, I've seen a couple of user reviews on here giving the game 0s due to the fact that the game was a "crappy port", "terribly optimized", or just "didn't work". Don't get the wrong idea. Obviously there are issues on those users' end but its really not a universal issue with the PC version of the game. My PC is by no means a cutting edge gaming rig (GTX 660, 10 GB, and a horribly outdated 2.5 Ghz processor) but after shifting the game from DirectX 11 to 9 I could run it on nearly maxed settings and get fantastic visual fidelity with butter smooth performance to boost.
  62. Aug 27, 2013
    Ubisoft really killed it this time. Conviction was the end; it wasn’t the best but definitely better. Putting aside that the controls of this game on a PC is just outrageous, you run around triggering movements that should only be a controller perk, causing laughable death exposing yourself to the enemy. This is going to the worst PC game of the decade in terms of console port issues. TheUbisoft really killed it this time. Conviction was the end; it wasn’t the best but definitely better. Putting aside that the controls of this game on a PC is just outrageous, you run around triggering movements that should only be a controller perk, causing laughable death exposing yourself to the enemy. This is going to the worst PC game of the decade in terms of console port issues. The graphics is nothing new anymore for this age, it just looks as it should, no wows or any better. Missions are very fragilely crafted, as if Ubisoft tries to focus on both coop and single player at the same time and fails at both. The “mother ship” or “base” concept in a shooter is not new anymore, Mass Effect was epic; Blacklist is abysmal. Besides, it is not even a good one. Is Ubisoft trying to cram 20 games into one? This is a really good question. These people need to stop having whiteboard meetings using dumbed down theoretical groupthink and feel like achieving. What happened to genuine creativity? I feel cheated of $50 playing this game for real. How much worse can it be? Expand
  63. Aug 26, 2013
    The game-play is good, I really like the story. The graphics are fantastic dx-11 the engine is well optimize, the audio, control good too, I found no issue with this game, by now...
    This game is fun to play so 9/10 for me
  64. Aug 22, 2013
    Single Player is well paced and it's enough to keep you interested without boring you. But truly, the greatest part of this game is the online Spies vs Mercs is amazing. It's very intense and plays great. It's similar to playing Counter-Strike competitive, in that you have to work with your team and when the Spies are hacking a station, it's super intense and fun. Worth playing if youSingle Player is well paced and it's enough to keep you interested without boring you. But truly, the greatest part of this game is the online Spies vs Mercs is amazing. It's very intense and plays great. It's similar to playing Counter-Strike competitive, in that you have to work with your team and when the Spies are hacking a station, it's super intense and fun. Worth playing if you are looking for something better than COD and less serious than CS. Expand
  65. Aug 27, 2013
    Brilliant gameplay, awesome controls (screw haters, blame yourselves for being BAD), ok graphics. Didn't like the new voice of Sam but I'm still gonna give it a 10 because of morons giving it a ZERO (really? zero? go kill yourselves)
  66. Aug 27, 2013
    I understand how the games are made these days, but still, I can't stand it. The biggest Blacklist's problem is the same as in the Hitman: Absolution. It's not a series-belonging game anymore. Almost all things that you've loved are now gone, and I think, it's forever. It's a good game, though, but let's divide the pros and cons:
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Pros: 1) The game tries to please
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Pros:
    1) The game tries to please old fans. Starting with the same sonic emitter clicking sounds as in the SCCT, to the overall sense of "being a ghost agent".
    2) The plot is kinda silly, but come on, it always've been silly and cutscenes are nice and that Normandy-like airplane with command center on board is doing it's purpose good, making the game more atmospheric.
    3) Missions! Good old badass stealth suit spec ops are definetly better than that... Jason Bourne thing that was in Conviction instead of SC-like missions.
    4) Gadgets are sweet!
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Cons:
    1) PC controls sucks balls HARD.
    2) Sam is not Sam. I mean' seriously, that guy is the other guy.
    3) Levels are too linear and scripted.
    4) Suit upgrading system sucks balls.
    5) Plane upgrades are cheat! I don't want to use the radar and other cheating stuff, but game is forcing me to do it!
    6) OPSAT is not OPSAT anymore. It sucks balls.
    7) Gimme back old goggles! I want the thermal night EM modes back in one device,
    8) Gimme back old noise shadow levels!
    ||||||||||||||||||||||
    Way better than the Conviction but still, it can not be compared to, for example, brilliant Chaos Theory. Even to Double Agent. Dear developers. Please. Stop thinking that the gamers are dumb. Take a look at indie industry and start making the games way it was back in mid-00's.
  67. Jun 2, 2017
    The splinter cell series ended with double agent ... conviction and blacklist is a way to take more money on the name of game ... better go through the previous parts
  68. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is the second kick in the nuts from Ubisoft after SC:Conviction. It seemed like a half-decent game when I first heard about the Perfectionist difficulty. Now let me tell you why that was complete bull****.
    The whole game is just a big mess they tried to build an actual stealth system on this Conviction-esque engine. Well, it's a drunkard's decision to say the least (probably Maxime Belland at it again). It just doesn't feel natural at all like the past good Splinter Cell games Yes, even Double Agent feels better.
    The upgrade system seemed like a fun addition, but it's actually redundant. It's a pain in the ass that you have to buy something in order to get the next item on the list available. Also, why the hell does Sam have to buy "nanofiber vector-space quantum-silenator" pants and shoes to sneak up on someone, who WILL eventually just turn around, because the AI 'somehow' heard him coming up from behind?! How the hell did Sam manage to sneak up on guards in Conviction with cargo pants and hiking boots and they didn't even hear him at all?! I can only assume he's gotten so old, that he's got bad knees or some other idiotic reason. But it's hard to believe he's any older than 30 (55 in-game) when he looks like Commander Shepard from Mass Effect.
    The new voice actor is horrible too, he sounds like a depressed teenager. I don't know what the hell were they thinking when they didn't decide to have Michael Ironside as the voice actor again. Mocap seems like a sorry excuse, because it's something that anyone barely notices in comparison to just simple hand-made artificial animations...
    I dealt with everything up to the point where I decided to do a solo/coop mission. The one thing that cost me so many brain cells was the fact that there was no manual saving system. Every time I got caught in the mission, I had to be sent all the way back and do all the menial knock-outs and stealth passes again. I don't even know how it's supposed to be a "fun challenge" when it's just having to do the same trash over and over again. Finally, after wasting more than an hour on it, I get past it and then greeted by another two checkpoints... That means I spent a whole hour doing only one third of the whole mission. And that's where I pretty much snapped If I was about 20 or 30 years older, I probably would've smashed my screen and then proceeded to kill myself via overdose of anger management pills, downed with a bottle of Jack Daniels.
    I hate this game beyond redemption. It is just so bad: gameplay & controls almost identical to Conviction (which means it's bad), the characters and voice actors bland as hell, the sound and music could've been way better, the animations decent, but the fact that mocap meant no Michael Ironside it's horse****, the missions nothing but repetitive objectives, side-missions a ragefest for your brain, enemies agitating and some are overpowered, weapons & gadgets frequently ineffective (waste of all the money), upgrade system redundant, replay value barely any, because replaying it would be boring as hell, checkpoint system satisfactory for the story missions, but a kick in the head for solo/coop missions, graphics they look bad and obsolete (the menus look better than the actual game itself), and finally DLC it can kiss my hole, because I'm not giving away another single cent to Ubisoft after seeing how typically bad they messed up again. Hell, even Hitman: Absolution would be better worth called a Splinter Cell game (minus the gadgets) than this pile of camel vomit.
    Needless to say, the sooner Ubisoft bankrupts, the better off the world will be.
  69. Feb 27, 2014
    Not a franchise player but If you have a rig that can handle it; this is a beautiful game. The story is excellent. Surprisingly, the characters and graphics are seemingly right out of a blockbuster action movie. The voice acting is superb and very much appreciated. The game-play is very entertaining albeit not perfect. There are a few flaws/glitches like jacked up rag-doll mechanicsNot a franchise player but If you have a rig that can handle it; this is a beautiful game. The story is excellent. Surprisingly, the characters and graphics are seemingly right out of a blockbuster action movie. The voice acting is superb and very much appreciated. The game-play is very entertaining albeit not perfect. There are a few flaws/glitches like jacked up rag-doll mechanics and wonky keyboard/mouse controls (probably stemming from a console port) but not enough of a shortfall to make this game anything but a good experience. The reward system and upgrade mechanism is way too generous and it seems like there could be so much more to this game. It's not perfect but very well scripted and plain old fun nonetheless. Expand
  70. Sep 10, 2013
    Aside from few small glitches I haven't noticed anything that I would call a serious bug. That is in SP at least since I have't played multiplayer yet.

Now as for the game itself as a really big Splinter Cell fan I have to say that as far as content and presentation are concerned I dare say that this is perhaps the best Splinter Cell to date. Yes even better than Chaos Theory in some aspects. Its lengthy and the Perfectionist difficulty (the only true way for every Splinter Cell fan to play this game) is ruthless (sometimes even too much). There is a huge number of main and side missions which you can repeat as many times as you like in order to get specific play-style bonuses and achievements. What I like best about the game is Fisher himself. For the first time we get to see him in some very specific situations where he can't rely on his gizmos. Additionally I thought that the absence of Michael Ironside might prove to be a huge minus however I was surprised to see how well the new actor fits the role of a more natural Fisher. He is not that much expressive which is a downer sometimes but still Fisher's voice acting surprised me in a positive way. Don't know if I could go back to listening Ironside again :)

Now the bad part. The controls are ridiculously laggy with key bindings which will sometimes force players into despair. Especially on Perfectionist difficulty where its extremely important to react fast. It will happen all too often to wait for a guard to pass a door in order to knock him down but then watch something shocking happen when you press E like closing a door right in front of the guard or flipping a light switch on which just happened to be right next to the doors. There is also a problem with picking up knocked down enemies from the floor because in almost 95% of the situations when you press E above the body you will be picking up the enemy's weapon instead of his body. Then you have to press E again to get back your silenced weapon and hover over the body of the lying enemy just to find a spot where the game registers a body picking action. Sam also buffers too much control commands. I.e. you accidentally pressed E twice to close an open door Sam will refuse to ignore the second keypress and open the door after the first animation has finished. Then there are a tons of unpredictable and long animations which will make life harder on Perfectionist difficulty.

If it wasn't for the horrible controls I would rate the game 10/10 without ANY hesitation. Huge amount of quality content, lengthy and very challenging missions, excellent voice acting and a very good usage of Sam's character to progress the story (for the fist time since Splinter Cell exists I'd say). All the reasons to praise this game. An excellent return to the roots of what made Splinter Cell an excellent and very specific game. But the horrible experience with the controls has to be taken into account which is why I give this game a well deserved 9/10. For anyone who likes Splinter Cell buying this game is not a question of buying it or not just a question when to buy it
  71. Aug 27, 2013
    Splinter of Duty: Blacklist is about as entertaining as smashing your face against a keyboard repeatedly. Incidentally, that's the best way to play Blacklist.
  72. Sep 4, 2013
    Three hours in, and I found the most satisfying feature to be the 'quit to desktop' menu option. Gameplay centers around lining up on hotspots. When done precisely enough, one or more of the available action buttons are shown onscreen. Thus allowing a predefined action to be executed. Taking cover, climbing... are only allowed at the behest of this system. The other half is shootingThree hours in, and I found the most satisfying feature to be the 'quit to desktop' menu option. Gameplay centers around lining up on hotspots. When done precisely enough, one or more of the available action buttons are shown onscreen. Thus allowing a predefined action to be executed. Taking cover, climbing... are only allowed at the behest of this system. The other half is shooting things. But enemies will spot you within seconds, even when facing away. Some of these limitations might be alleviated through the upgrade system. But it is a serious grind getting there. Expand
  73. Sep 3, 2013
    Many hardcore Splinter cell fans would not have liked Conviction because it favored more combat style play than stealth. Even though Blacklist still has some main features of conviction, it has brought back the classic stealth options which made chaos theory one of the best stealth games ever, along with some new gadgets, scoring style which are good. You can play whichever way you wantMany hardcore Splinter cell fans would not have liked Conviction because it favored more combat style play than stealth. Even though Blacklist still has some main features of conviction, it has brought back the classic stealth options which made chaos theory one of the best stealth games ever, along with some new gadgets, scoring style which are good. You can play whichever way you want to, you can kill everyone (assault style), you can stealthily dispose enemies(panther style) or you can complete the whole game without killing even one person(ghost style), which obviously, will be the toughest. You will be rewarded for any style of play you choose. The game also has some good improvements to its predecessors in gameplay, number of levels(Conviction was incredibly short).You'll be able to complete the whole game in about 16 hours which is much better than conviction which was just about 6 hrs.

The main issue in blacklist is the graphics which are poor compared to the current benchmark of graphics for games, and the voice acting.

Overall the game is very good, and hardcore splinter cell fans along with new gamers will enjoy this game. The Spies Vs Mercs multiplayer is back and it is absolute fun.
  74. Aug 29, 2013
    Main plot is a little bit boring, dont know about multiplayer. The gameplay is extremely fun, textures sometimes blurry. Framerate is 40+ with a HD6850 at 1920x1080 FFAO, everything high, without AA/AF. Subtitles are often mistimed, hungarian subtitle is garbage, english is of course good. It has replay value. Coop main story is missing.
  75. Sep 4, 2013
    Let me first state that I came into this thinking that Ubisoft finally balanced out the came from that pure garbage of a game known as Conviction (which, was really just nothing more than a third-person shooter with some stealth elements). The sort of did. They did allow for multiple options, and routes, to get around enemies and eliminated much of the linearity of Conviction and allowedLet me first state that I came into this thinking that Ubisoft finally balanced out the came from that pure garbage of a game known as Conviction (which, was really just nothing more than a third-person shooter with some stealth elements). The sort of did. They did allow for multiple options, and routes, to get around enemies and eliminated much of the linearity of Conviction and allowed for actual stealthy game-play to come back (and let's face it, the only "stealthy" parts of Conviction was the Deniable Ops mode). The game-play, to me puts this at a higher level than the previous game.

Which would be great, if not for two things. Number one. The game is WAY too short, and it makes ZERO sense. I don't know why they've decided to allow Sam to still be apart of the series in this sort of a fashion. I might allow a prequel game, but this is a continuation off of Conviction...And Sam is 56 years old in this game. In fact, not also is he 56 years-old, he looks like he's in his 30's and can do gymnastics and parkour like he was in his late-teens! Really Ubisoft? And what about a possible replacement? I'm pretty damn sure that seeing a geriatric Sam Fisher, in his 70's doing the same kinds of craziness, would be hilarious, but why not just make him to the point where he's: a) too old to do the job and turns into an Irving Lambert role, or b) have him already in an Irving Lambert role and have one, or two, new characters take the role. Heck, it could have it that Archer and Kestrel be the replacements (cause, I don't know, that might bring CONTINUITY to the series). Heck, it could even make the game LONGER. Because, after the missions are over (12 side missions that you can do in solo mode that feels more like a chore than something that adds to the game) you're going to feel a little underwhelmed. Like "that's it?" kind of underwhelmed. Not good unless Ubisoft is going to try to nickle-and-dime us for more glorious DLC (correction..."ULC", yay!).

The second is uPlay (or what I like to call uCrap). I had bought the game from Steam and everything seemed to be cool with it...For one day. The next day, guess what happened when I tried to log-on? I CONTINUOUSLY got kicked back with uCrap telling me that my password/username doesn't match! Here's the fun part, after messing around with uCrap for the better part of an hour (re-inputting my username/password) I could not play my damned game! I tried to get my password reset, but I guess the website has a thing for cookies as it kept telling me to allow cookies for the site! Here's the funny part...BOTH browsers I have allows cookies! This is my main complaint, that if Ubisoft wants to run this crappy, intrusive, always having to log-on before playing DRM crap, AT LEAST have a working program! To add on to this (and I am in no way promoting this), but I had to get a crack just so I could play a game that I paid $55 for. Let me reiterate...The crappy, P.O.S. DRM "service", that never worked right, that is buggy, that stopped me from playing a game that I spent hard-earned money on had caused me to not only re-download a whopping 18GB game, but also forced me to have to get a crack so that I could circumvent the RE-F***ING-DICULOUS, always have to log-on, never-working, uCrap DRM service. For f***'s-sake, Ubisoft, if you want DRM always on, great, there are A MULTITUDE of options: work with a 3rd party, have the game synced up with the MAC/IP address of the computer, or HELL, DON'T HAVE IT. But no, you have put in place a DRM so sh*tty that it causes people to find non-legal routes just to play their damned game! Thanks a lot Ubisoft.

It gets a 3 because of the uCrap issues. If it worked great, I would be more inclined to give it a 7 as the game-play is genuinely fun, although the story makes no sense, it's too short, and plays on every ridiculous stereotype known to man (which I skipped through most of), I actually liked it (it balanced and actually rewarded stealth game-play). But they need to find a way to replace Sam (and NOT have it so that he looked to have downed the Fountain of Youth) and they should've done this yesterday.
  76. Sep 13, 2013
    I must admit I'm new to the franchise so I didn't expect much and yet the game managed to disappoint in almost every aspect. I don't know where to begin! The actual Installation process itself was a pain in the ass! You had to manually update all patches (which would be okay if the game wouldn't require Uplay) I mean where is the point in selling a game over a Downloadplattform when youI must admit I'm new to the franchise so I didn't expect much and yet the game managed to disappoint in almost every aspect. I don't know where to begin! The actual Installation process itself was a pain in the ass! You had to manually update all patches (which would be okay if the game wouldn't require Uplay) I mean where is the point in selling a game over a Downloadplattform when you still have to install everything manually?! The Game has so many issues that, even now after 2 major patches, it is barely playable. The game crashes frequently (especially when you run it in DX11), the graphics are way below average yet the game has random frameratedrops for no apparent reason. And the gameplay especially in coop is just horrible. The controlls are totally up 50% of the time you end up dying its because of the clunky and glitchy controls. There are so many bugs and glitches like: enemies moving without animation, entering an area after a cutscene and falling through the floor, enemies detecting you through the floor or walls, enemies killing you after a succesfull melee animation. You'll end up restarting most of your coop games due to some gamebreaking glitch. The multiplayer is horrid the skins and modells in mp look like a cheap sourcemod and the matchmaking is just broken. The game really has potential and could be fun if it wasn't for the cheap and rushed realisation. I can not recommend buying this game in the state it is in- and i doubt it'll be fixed anytime soon or at all for that matter.... Expand
  77. Oct 26, 2013
    I can't see what all the fuss is about for this game. The characters are unengaging, it's padded with tedious cut scenes, the graphics are so-so and the controls are awful and will result in regular death.

This is a like a 5 or 6 year old game, avoid.
  78. Sep 9, 2016
    I really enjoyed Blacklist. The controls are slick and responsive. The multiplayer is slick and harkens back to the best of Pandora's Tomorrow and Chaos Theory. It was a pleasure to play online with my friends and relive the thrill of avoiding the merc flashlights. The co-op was fun too. I hope they make more in the series.
  79. Sep 26, 2013
    I'm new to Splinter Cell, I don't play much military style games. I have to say I'm very impressed. You'd think sneaking past enemies and waiting for the perfect moment to strike sounds boring but this game makes it so much fun! There is enough of a story for me to pay attention. Main character is pretty bad ass. Supporting characters could be better, the one that attempts comicI'm new to Splinter Cell, I don't play much military style games. I have to say I'm very impressed. You'd think sneaking past enemies and waiting for the perfect moment to strike sounds boring but this game makes it so much fun! There is enough of a story for me to pay attention. Main character is pretty bad ass. Supporting characters could be better, the one that attempts comic relief is pretty annoying, they don't add much. Expand
  80. Jun 17, 2014
    Next gen video games should take a lesson from the makers of Splinter Cell Blacklist on how to build a game that is both stable and beautiful. Lets hope this is the beginning of many more outings of the 4th Echelon!
  81. Aug 28, 2013
    Finally, a Splinter Cell game that satiates the desires of fans that love the "stealth" legacy that is apart of this game. The campaign is amazing, and there are so many avenues to complete a mission; plus, the enemies never take the same path twice, so it makes replaying a mission purposefully or by accident, much more enjoyable. Overall the co-op modes, ranking system, and just plainFinally, a Splinter Cell game that satiates the desires of fans that love the "stealth" legacy that is apart of this game. The campaign is amazing, and there are so many avenues to complete a mission; plus, the enemies never take the same path twice, so it makes replaying a mission purposefully or by accident, much more enjoyable. Overall the co-op modes, ranking system, and just plain entertainment value of this mandates that I give it a 10!

Fans of Splinter Cell games will love this!
  82. Dec 29, 2013
    For me personally, I didn't have a single issue with running the game. It was top-notch stealth action and best in class. Loved every second of it, from the campaign to the return of Spies vs Mercs multiplayer.
  83. Sep 12, 2013
    I purchased two copies so I could play coop with my wife. The multiplayer simply does not work. I can't even send an invite to join. I've done everything the forums say to do, and its just plain broken.

I'm not real surprised though. I've never purchased a single Uplay game that actually worked the first time. There is always something broken with the game because Uplay is such a piece of garbage. It completely ruins the experience.

I submitted a request to UBI for help on the issue two days ago. Nothing.
  84. Aug 31, 2013
    SNAFU. Well, I really wanted to like this new Splinter Cell game. I've played them all and let me tell you folks this is the absolute WORST when it comes to graphical optimizations, and especially, crashes. Some graphics settings require restart of the game, but when you restarted, you discover everything has been defaulted to "Low". The game just won't start until you edit one .iniSNAFU. Well, I really wanted to like this new Splinter Cell game. I've played them all and let me tell you folks this is the absolute WORST when it comes to graphical optimizations, and especially, crashes. Some graphics settings require restart of the game, but when you restarted, you discover everything has been defaulted to "Low". The game just won't start until you edit one .ini file from "My Documents". Graphics glitches appear after altering the settings from the default "low" ones. random crashes to desktop are something of a usual matter.
    Gameplay? not much to say after ragequitting because of the graphics. All in all seems like the typical mediocre action shooter with terrorists. I never liked this whole plot-line "we are USA, the absolute power, we see them terrorists everywhere and we kill them", but at least the first 3 games were good stealth games. The other 2 looked good and were acceptable. But this one? In one word GARBAGE.
    Seriously guys, wait for a cut to 25% of the release price, maybe one year or so, also for some 3-4 graphics patches to come out.
  85. Sep 1, 2013
    This is not splinter cell. This is a typical example of how devs are making their games accessible "to a wider audience", in other words dumbing it down so much stupid 10 year olds can play it and think they are good. Not challenging, pathetically easy and disgrace to the rest of the series (excluding conviction, that was too).

If this didn't say Splinter Cell on the cover I might

If this didn't say Splinter Cell on the cover I might think of giving it a 4 or 5, but unfortunately it does, which hurts me, as well as the original SC fan base. Do not buy.
  86. Aug 14, 2014
    Splinter cell: Blacklist is a mediocre game in the franchise but by far was the most anticipated because it brings all the stuff that was new in Conviction, but builds it all into one full fluid gameplay experience. Sadly this made the game too different and it didn't feel like a splinter cell game at all, but just another action game that incorporated stealth in some areas to compete withSplinter cell: Blacklist is a mediocre game in the franchise but by far was the most anticipated because it brings all the stuff that was new in Conviction, but builds it all into one full fluid gameplay experience. Sadly this made the game too different and it didn't feel like a splinter cell game at all, but just another action game that incorporated stealth in some areas to compete with the SC series. Many problems for the PC version made it annoying to play but I felt like I had to because I needed to continue through the SC franchise even though this one was a bit of a disappointment but not so bad that it was a bad game. It still is great just doesn't feel like a SC game which is why I think this game still deserves a positive score. Expand
  87. Aug 2, 2014
    Potentially great game completely ruined by one single poor design decision: Not allowing Player to save whenever. Having to replay from checkpoint over and over again led to some very very frustrating game play . After a while I felt like just run and gun (which worked great), just to finish the game. It wasn't worth my time trying stealth approach over and over again and fail becausePotentially great game completely ruined by one single poor design decision: Not allowing Player to save whenever. Having to replay from checkpoint over and over again led to some very very frustrating game play . After a while I felt like just run and gun (which worked great), just to finish the game. It wasn't worth my time trying stealth approach over and over again and fail because Sim fails to act as I want.

Lots of gadgets but felt useless because AGAIN it's not worth the time to experiment with gadgets, screw up and having to restart from checkpoint.

Another problem that downplays stealth is that Sam Fisher moves so slow when moving a body. It's entirely not worth hiding body because AGAIN if you are spotted, you are sure to be shot to death before you can put the body down and back to checkpoint again. And you will be spotted very very often on harder levels.
  88. Mar 17, 2015
    I have played(and really enjoyed) all Splinter Cell games, and I love this game. Alot of hardcore fans of the old games do not seem to like the two newest games, but I really like them. The gameplay is very flexible, many routes and generally different ways to complete missions. If you like doing things the stealthy way, go for it, if you like a more direct and aggressive approach you canI have played(and really enjoyed) all Splinter Cell games, and I love this game. Alot of hardcore fans of the old games do not seem to like the two newest games, but I really like them. The gameplay is very flexible, many routes and generally different ways to complete missions. If you like doing things the stealthy way, go for it, if you like a more direct and aggressive approach you can do this as well. Completing a level in a 100% stealth style is much more challenging and rewarding than it was in the old games imo, and this is because the game is much more dynamic than the old ones. In the old games the levels were designed for the player to be able to get around undetected, although it certainly was challenging at times, it was more linear. In Blacklist, managing to get undetected through an area swarming with enemies, where the obvious choice might be to gun them down, is really challenging and rewarding.

Recommend to play at a high difficulty, but that should be a given.
  89. Aug 21, 2013
    Beatlejuice6687
    This review is only for the online multiplayer, which is the only reason I bought it. I wouldn't have paid 60 bucks for a rehash action spy game which looks exactly like Conviction. I really liked Pandora Tomorrow totally new and innovative spies vs mercs. It was a huge step forward in bringing suspense and fun to consoles in it's day. Chaos Theory made great
    Beatlejuice6687

I really liked Pandora Tomorrow totally new and innovative spies vs mercs. It was a huge step forward in bringing suspense and fun to consoles in it's day. Chaos Theory made great improvements to that online play. Spies had to play cautious and sneaky. Although kills could be done, it was a careful move that had to be made. Double Agent went down the wrong path. Remote hacking, the more techno look. It was bad. This one ups(or downs) that one. Dumbest thing ever in SC??? Spy one button insta-kills. Run near a merc from any direction, press a single button, almost faster then a merc can shoot you down and you get a insta kill.

Merc's being considered the hunters are a total joke. Spies are so overpowered in their ability to run from any direction and insta-kill its just a horrible idea from whatever person thought this was good. I am done buying Splinter Cell games. They killed the best multi-player concept with silly and dumb gameplay and managed to do worse then the worst spies vs mercs offering they had put out until now.

It also crashing about every 20 mins with the DX11 client.
  90. Sep 3, 2013
    Expected the comeback of the old (and good SC). Very disapointed.

Expected the comeback of the old (and good SC). Very disapointed.

The voice acting in SP is average at best. In SP the cover system is very unbalanced, if you are crouched in a dark area the enemy will spot you right away, however if you are using the cover system you go totally undetected. If you try to sneak by the parkour path is really obvious and very linear. The night vision is almost useless and there is no thermal. Whatever difficulty level you play, enemies are equally dumb and the only variable factor i show much healt you have which does come back after a few seconds, call of duty style)

The multiplayer is a major disappointment, as I was expecting the old classic SPY vs MERC game mode to include at least a few old SC2 maps and the older game mechanics. Albeit the "Classic" name, it has nothing in common. The equipment the player have at his disposal is utterly limited compared to Pandora tomorrow. No special visors in merc side, spy have no thermal vision, just a lame Black and white NVG. The spies objective is to hack a terminal, while doing so they have to stay in the surround of the terminal to keep the up-link active, but since the map are so small its super easy to find the spies while they hack and to kill them.

The way the control are setted up is annoying, they dont use enought bindings and having multiples actions on singles buttons gets confusing. There is also no way to adjust your moving speed. You are either walking super fast (in such a noisy manner that would get you noticed in .1 sec in any older game) or sprinting

Non-gameplay related, they game is very bugged, dropping bodies in certain places will have them do the bacon on the floor( with associated loud noise that goes unoticed by the enemy). Many crashes to desktop, and the FOV isnt well suited for multiple monitors gaming. Sometimes NPC textures have "holes" that allow you to see thru them
  91. Aug 25, 2013
    I've only got one thing to say: to everyone who is not American, this game is insulting. It's telling you that not accepting the US as the world's police is met with death. The Engineers have respected the Geneva Conventions. They are not soldiers per se, but they are not terrorists either.

I though at first Blacklist would be a thin-veiled parody: most video games have you play as an American. The team could have tried social commentary; such as "this is what happens when you get too zealous with security". But no, they play it straight: the Engineers are the bad guys, Fischer, who is above the laws and fitted with the best tech ever invented (no way this could backfire... oh wait, what happened to Conviction in the timeline of the series?), is the good guy. There is no irony. There is no commentary. You are here for one thing only: kill the heretics who dare revolt against the US.

Really strange, considering the game was made by a Canadian team owned by a French company.

And yet, I will give Blacklist a 5. If you overlook the scenario, you will find a capable shooter. Yet, technical issues (such as gamepads not being supported correctly despite being made to play with a gamepad; or the fact that there's already a patch when the game is less than 1 week old) must be taken into account and thus, I think Blacklist deserves a bad mark, but not a 0 just because I didn't like one aspect.
  92. Sep 3, 2013
    here goes.

I could go on how ive played nearly every sc, I wont. from the first couple levels of blacklist I felt already the game was different, controls were snappier, a.i. was more aggressive and deadlier than splinter cell conviction but the overall game didnt feel as polished up. the storyline was a bore, but I wouldnt know too much because I primarily skipped around every
    here goes.

I could go on how ive played nearly every sc, I wont.

the storyline was a bore, but I wouldnt know too much because I primarily skipped around every cutscene, its great they allow this feature because this is a LONG game with LONG cutscenes...I can say for certain I felt pretty uncomfortable with the interrogation scenes as they are pretty brutal compared to previous splinter cell games...the game itself forces you to make some pretty bad decisions like putting a bullet to someones head while watching the person get shot multiple times or impaling a person with a spike until he stops suffocating and dies...brutal, am not sure why they included this in the game you always have the passive decision of letting them live but then you feel as though they got away. they should have figured out a medium in the cutscenes for dealing with the criminal, instead sam fisher seems like the terrorist, he always seems pissed off and short attention spanned unlike the previous actor michael ironside he approached things with more control and intelligence. which reminds me...the acting was terrible and the rehashed sam fisher sounds so unoriginal and cliche...to bad.

as for the game itself. the cat and mouse gameplay was great, there were some challenging levels where you had to think twice on how to approach a level. lots of replay ability in this game i could tell.

could not play multiplayer because i had downloaded the pirate version. but am thinking of buying the game for replaying the levels and multiplayer itself.

there are a ton of gadgets and gizmos not to mention arsenal of weapons like sc3000 returning, different ways to customize them with acogs to redots. the guns seem pretty balanced and well thought out. as well as customize sam's suit, goggles,
  93. Aug 15, 2014
    Suddenly a great game! Can be a long story than she is so good. Just give you a couple of things from the pros - great optimization! (I did not expect this) and support windows xp - but for me it is very important. The actual gameplay is noticeably better. The plot of the average. There is a full localization - the game is very happy. 9/10
  94. Aug 28, 2013
    Splinter Cell: Blacklist are somewhere between the old Splinter Cell and the Splinter Cell: Conviction. But this game takes you by the hand through the entire game. The standard two ways (illusion of choice). Enemies who have the same behavior at every load. And in some places shooting is necessary. There are flaws in the gameplay. The script in the second half crumpled.
  95. Aug 23, 2013
    I have been a Splinter Cell fan since the first game was released on the PC back in early 2000. Since then I have watched the decline of the franchise, which IMO began in Conviction, not Double Agent like a lot of other fans claimed. I remained optimistic of Blacklist after watching trailers and hearing interviews with the devs claiming they were making the game more stealth-heavy thanI have been a Splinter Cell fan since the first game was released on the PC back in early 2000. Since then I have watched the decline of the franchise, which IMO began in Conviction, not Double Agent like a lot of other fans claimed. I remained optimistic of Blacklist after watching trailers and hearing interviews with the devs claiming they were making the game more stealth-heavy than Conviction.
    Upon purchasing the game, I found it actually wouldn't load. It kept crashing every-time I opened the exe and I later discovered this was fixed with a day one patch with a whopping size of 2GB. Looking through the patch notes, I find it absolutely humiliating on behalf of Ubisoft that they could have released a product with as many game-breaking issues that needed to be fixed with a patch.
    Once I finally got the game to work, I played it for about three hours before switching it off. If you are a fan of Conviction, chances are you will love Blacklist as it is basically more of the same. But for long-time Splinter Cell fans, and perhaps even stealth game fans in general, I would highly suggest you give this one a miss.
    Graphically the game is fine. I see a lot of other reviewers here complaining about low frame rates, but I am running everything on max settings and getting a constant 40fps. Disappointingly though there is no FOV slider. The controls on the other hand are downright terrible. You can tell it was designed with a gamepad in mind, because using a keyboard and mouse is extremely awkward.
    If I had to describe the game in one word, it'd be COD. There are first person sections galore, and you will mow through dozens of enemies at a time without any hint of danger. Compare that to the first four SC games when even a single enemy could kill you within a few seconds if you were spotted. As well as that, you now have 'upgrades' such as a crossbow (I laughed out loud when I saw a crossbow in the game) as well as the redundant ability to change the color of Sam's goggles.
    Instead of hiding in the shadows, the 'stealth' aspect of Blacklist entirely revolves around cover. You will find yourself progressing throughout the level not by moving normally, but by shifting between bits of cover.
    Blacklist brings back the ability to hide bodies, but for seemingly no purpose other than for the hardcore fans that like covering their tracks. Enemies completely ignore bodies and leaving them exposed have absolutely no consequences, making this a completely pointless feature.
    Enemy AI is pathetic. I was frequently spotted when I was well hidden behind cover, and other times enemies would walk straight past me when I was in full view and not even notice me. There are also groups of baddies banded together for specific use of the 'press to win' mark and execute feature.
    But overall, like Conviction, this has just validated my suspicion that the franchise is no longer about playing a fragile character that has to strategically outmaneuver enemies, into the equivalent of a James Bond game that is all about being as action packed and flashy as possible. Calling this a stealth game is almost insulting to games such as Thief and MGS, I would be more inclined to label it a third-person shooter.
    In summary, if you are a Splinter Cell fan, do not buy this. This was a waste of my money and I will be looking to sell this in some way very soon. If you enjoyed Conviction however, this is more of the same and I'm sure you will love Blacklist.
  96. Aug 27, 2013
    phenomenal game front to back. Blends old stealth techniques from previous titles in the series with a fair amount of action making it a seriously awesome title. Don't miss it!
  97. Aug 30, 2013
    I'm really sorry but I cannot recommend this game at all because, once again, Ubisoft has ripped us off with their online servers and connections.

I have been trying to play with a friend for several days, and all we get is disconnections and "unable to connect to the lobby" messages. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory had the same problem, and so did Conviction, and it seems that they just

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory had the same problem, and so did Conviction, and it seems that they just don't care about programming some decent multiplayer network, because in Blacklist it will fail and fail once and again.

If you want this game to play SpiesVSMercs or Coop Missions with a friend... DO NOT buy it! You will be wasting your money. Servers work really really bad, and all Ubisoft does to fix it is to tell you to forward your ports, deactivate your firewall, and some other stuff which do nothing to fix the situation, because they just won't accept that it's a problem on THEIR end.

If I have 15 online games in my computer, and all of them work perfectly online but Blacklist, I'd say it's pretty easy to guess which one has some problems that their developer needs to fix.

DO NOT get ripped off by Ubisoft.
  98. Sep 29, 2013
    Bought the game. Started it up. Instantly greeted by a forced cutscene and mission. No time to configure options, nothing. Alright. Play through the 30 minute intro. That's fine, I didn't want to actually start playing a real game. Start up Spies vs. Mercs, which is primarily what I bought it for. Play first round as a Merc. Sensitivity is absolute garbage and feels sluggish no matterBought the game. Started it up. Instantly greeted by a forced cutscene and mission. No time to configure options, nothing. Alright. Play through the 30 minute intro. That's fine, I didn't want to actually start playing a real game. Start up Spies vs. Mercs, which is primarily what I bought it for. Play first round as a Merc. Sensitivity is absolute garbage and feels sluggish no matter what. Spy must be better, right? Nope. Want to take cover? That's nice, as soon as you exit cover you're sprinting no matter what. And how do you stop sprinting? I don't know, not with the sprint key, that's for sure. Oh, and while sprinting, you automatically leap over obstacles and run up any walls you come across. "I'm just gonna walk up to this cover and... alright, just jump into the Merc's sight, that's cool." Every single action is bound to the same button as another action, so have fun trying to convince the game that you want stab people and not hack a terminal. The controls were obviously designed for a controller, not a keyboard and mouse, so just plug in a controller, right? Wrong: it'll read your controller for about 5 minutes, then decide it doesn't like it anymore. This game just angers me beyond belief.

CLEARLY DESIGNED FOR PEASANT BOXES.
  99. Feb 13, 2014
    Having just played AC4 (Black Flag) I guess I've grown used to fluid movement controls (and sea shanties), which makes Blacklist all the more grating. It's just horribly inconsistent, you can't climb over things you expect to be able to climb over, you can't drop off things you expect to drop off, the cover system works here but not there. And if you get caught in the open by a heavy, youHaving just played AC4 (Black Flag) I guess I've grown used to fluid movement controls (and sea shanties), which makes Blacklist all the more grating. It's just horribly inconsistent, you can't climb over things you expect to be able to climb over, you can't drop off things you expect to drop off, the cover system works here but not there. And if you get caught in the open by a heavy, you might as well surrender, because you feel like a drunk puppeteer as you try and bring shots down on target.. I had to rage-quit so many times (in order to avoid a coronary) that I ultimately decided to uninstall after completing just under 50%. So frustrating. Avoid. Expand
  100. Sep 5, 2013
    Here's Ubisoft's vision. If the game is broken (Conviction) and loses more fan base than it gains, make a 2nd one that is the same exact thing but bring back multiplayer to win-back our lost fans. Granted, I am very happy that they brought back Spies vs. Mercs again. But the Single Player (Which I used to enjoy) was short, felt like a 3rd Person Shooter, and I didn't feel those tenseHere's Ubisoft's vision. If the game is broken (Conviction) and loses more fan base than it gains, make a 2nd one that is the same exact thing but bring back multiplayer to win-back our lost fans. Granted, I am very happy that they brought back Spies vs. Mercs again. But the Single Player (Which I used to enjoy) was short, felt like a 3rd Person Shooter, and I didn't feel those tense moments of getting discovered as I did earlier in the series. Please don't try again. Expand

1. Jan 22, 2014
    With Conviction, the Splinter Cell series seemed to be veering off course, but Blacklist thankfully grabs the wheel and gets it back on track.
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Splinter Cell Blacklist is one of the better entries in the long lived spy-saga. It offers great gameplay choices and sneaking is heavily rewarded. On top of that the multiplayer is also confidently crafted. The one thing lacking is the banal story with flat characterization that hinders Splinter Cell Blacklist from reaching any narrative high points.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Sep 25, 2013
    Though it lacks the subdued intelligence of Chaos Theory, there's still some cracking good sneaking to be had. [Oct 2013, p.92]