5.0

1. Jan 3, 2012
    It isn't another Chaos Theory -- but that's a good thing. SC:C goes in completely different direction. Sam is darker and more violent. His weapons and equipment have been upgraded. The cover system has been updated and works as good as any I've seen. The stealth system has been updated as well. Instead of watching a stealth meter, the game turns black and white when Sam is invisible.It isn't another Chaos Theory -- but that's a good thing. SC:C goes in completely different direction. Sam is darker and more violent. His weapons and equipment have been upgraded. The cover system has been updated and works as good as any I've seen. The stealth system has been updated as well. Instead of watching a stealth meter, the game turns black and white when Sam is invisible. It works surprisingly well. There are usually multiple paths through each mission/level. The main story is challenging and will provide hours of gameplay. The cream of SC:Conviction is Denied Ops. It has three game modes -- Hunter, Infiltration, and Last Stand -- playable on five unique and challenging maps. Hunter requires you to move through the maps killing bad guys. If you are seen, the bad guys call in reinforcements. Infiltration requires you to move through the maps killing bad guys. If you are seen, the alarm sounds and the game ends. I haven't played Last Stand so cannot speak about it.

Infiltration and Hunter when played on "Realistic" turn into multi-hour experiences as you try to isolate and kill bad guys one by one. Enemy AI is tough, will flank you, and is fast on the trigger. Also, there are motion-sensitive cameras and infrared lasers to deal with.

There is a co-op mode that I have yet to try. Supposedly, you and your partner play as two agents (one from Third Echelon and one from a Russian agency). You two work your way through five or six maps with your own co-op storyline. It sounds good and there are plenty of youtube videos of co-op gameplay.

This game is a steal at $20. Denied Ops alone is worth the $20. Make sure you get the "Insurgency DLC" too. It comes with four more maps for Denied Ops -- San Francisco, Salt Lake City, New Orleans, and Portland, OR. San Fran is a shipyard/cargoyard, Salt Lake City is a mysterious industrial office. New Orleans is a graveyard - -where you fight above ground and in tunnels underground! Portland is an old prison. I've logged easily 200-250hrs in SC:Conviction playing the main storyline and Denied Ops. It's a boatload of fun that will challenge most PC gamers. Highly recommend.

PS: Note that SC:Conviction talks to some Ubisoft servers during startup and possibly during gameplay. It was a hassle sorting things out but once it was working, it did not interfere with gameplay.
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    Review about actually game (not about DRM or anything like that): I was pleasantly surprised at this game. I picked up for $5 at this years Steam holiday sale and played the single player campaign over two days. It probably took me about 8-10 hours. Yeah, it's short, but it's a pretty tight, character-driven narrative. It starts out with the Red Dead Redemption style "government peopleReview about actually game (not about DRM or anything like that): I was pleasantly surprised at this game. I picked up for $5 at this years Steam holiday sale and played the single player campaign over two days. It probably took me about 8-10 hours. Yeah, it's short, but it's a pretty tight, character-driven narrative. It starts out with the Red Dead Redemption style "government people are screwing you over by forcing you to do stuff for them by withholding info on your family" type scenario, but unlike Red Dead Redemption, they actually keep feeding you enough information to make it not seem like they're stretching the premise. I've also heard that the co-op missions, and some of the other game modes add a bunch more hours of gameplay too, but I haven't tried them. But yeah, if you're just interested in single player campaign and story, this was definitely worth playing. Yes, it was short, but the narrative was tight and fairly emotionally gripping and it never (to me) felt like the premise was being stretched too thin. And, plus, it's fairly easy to get a copy of it for $10-$15, so... :P

Side note: the main theme song is absolutely gorgeous! ^_^
  3. Feb 18, 2011
    First off, to those who are so paranoid with publishers and how they protect their content you might not like SCC due to Ubisoft requiring constant internet access, but as people keep pirating games this will only get worse.

But if you can get past this and focus on the actual game created by the developers and at least enjoyed the plot from the previous game (Double Agent) then you may or may not enjoy this addition alot more. The story begins with a nice little kick start that doesn't take you into a 10-20 min tutorial without any shooting and killing, and off you go down Ubisoft's continued plot left off from Double Agent, sneaking or blasting through the levels as you travel deeper into the rabbit hole.

The game mechanics have changed a fair amount allowing for more fluid transitions that make you feel as though you are controling a real person rather than a T-700 that looks like a person, giving you a more fufilling feeling as you continue to go around executing your enemy from the shadows in new fashions. Ubisoft made a delightful change, in my opinion, on how you go about the levels, whether you choose to shotty people out in the light while breaching a room or silently moving unseen using the shadows and structures to your advantage. There are certain parts where they force you to be open about your killer presence, but it does fit with the situation Sam would currently be in and forces players to be ready to change tactics if such an event occurs.

If it wasn't for the connection problems and high improbability of ever finding someone waiting for matchmaker to work at the same exact time as you then the multiplayer would be great. Though I really must say that I still prefer Chaos Theory's multiplayer I do like the switch from vs. to more of a coop that doesn't fry peoples nerves and cause people to throw dirty accuasations back and forth. Speaking of coop, the coop for SCC is well done and is a great addition to the single player storyline, which is actually a sequel to the coop. I think the greatest thing SCC coop did was build each players' love for the two characters, Archer and Kestrel, and in the end put a sad twist which only heightened your disgust for the antagonists from the singleplayer.

Overall I think it is a great, proactive addition to the SC series that provides a fresh new way to play while also retaining a majority of the original gameplay that makes SC so much fun to play. If you can get past the DRM and not be hypercritical of the additions then you'll see that Ubisoft has done a really nice job with SCC considering the delays to its release.
  4. Dec 17, 2011
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction is one of the best sequels in the Splinter Cell series at all. Innovations as Last Known Position system and Mark and Execute feature are just great and fun to play. Ubisoft team did really an excellent job in AI with the Unreal engine and the atmosphere and locations are just breathtaking.
  5. Sep 18, 2011
    I don't get it. I always hated the Splinter Cell games with passion. Since my only previous contact with the stealth genre came from Metal Gear, I was happy to hear about a series focused on more realistic and gear . But the first game didn't impress me, since countless times i couldn't do a teorical perfect strategy. Only 1 possible solution for each screen, so the game became a puzzleI don't get it. I always hated the Splinter Cell games with passion. Since my only previous contact with the stealth genre came from Metal Gear, I was happy to hear about a series focused on more realistic and gear . But the first game didn't impress me, since countless times i couldn't do a teorical perfect strategy. Only 1 possible solution for each screen, so the game became a puzzle and lost it's touch. Since then, I came back in contact to the series in 2011, with Chaos Theory, since Double Agent was terrible on the PC port. Again, disappointment. This time, I always have the feeling I didn't do exactly what was expected from me, and then, I need to restart the level. Since I never got the feeling of doing something right, the game lost it's touch. One time the game hangup and I never touched the game again. Then I get Conviction. the narrative is not generic, this time it's personal, and for the first time, the story got me (and I don't even know anything about any of the characters). The action is great, just enough action, preventing the game to become boring and just enough stealth to keep you on your toes. The execution technique makes things easier, but far from easy, since it's not always so easy doing a melee kill to earn it. The only negative is the DRM, i had to uninstall the launcher, because it came from other Ubisoft game and only after uninstalling and re-installing again it let me launch the game, but it's still a 10 to me. Maybe this game disappointed the series fans, but if you, like me, never got into Sam Fisher's mind, do yourself a favor, ignore this score and get this game now. Expand
  6. Mar 15, 2012
    Over a year later and I'm still coming back to play Deniable Ops. That alone is a testament to how much I have enjoyed this game. Splinter Cell took a dip in quality during Double Agent's time, but it has come back stronger than ever.

The movement mechanics for climbing and sneaking your way all over the environments is smooth, snappy and a joy to use. Add in the satisfying 'mark and execute', and you have a fresh new fast paced stealth experience.

The single player may, in the end, be forgettable. However, the Deniable Ops mode offers a near limitless re-playability. If only even more maps had been released, I'd still be buying them up left and right. Here's hoping the next Splinter Cell is just as great, if not even better.
  7. Dec 31, 2011
    The newest addition to the Splinter Cell series, features a lot of changes, which in my opinion are welcome.

Sam Fisher, now retired from the Third Echelon finds himself working without US support, trusting only friends and wanted by the government, he must fight on against this conspiracy and prove himself innocent. Story mode is quite long and fun, you will be visiting alot of

Story mode is quite long and fun, you will be visiting alot of different environments, and using different tactics, some times you must rush, pursue or kill enemies, sometimes you need to go stealth without alerting them, using a variety of equipments and gadgets, the game offers a unique weapon system, where his primary weapon is a pistol, and all others are secondaries, handguns are always equipped.

Co-Op mode offers story and arcade style elimination, and its fun to play with friends, developing different tactics and approaches.

Graphics are very good, a high-end gaming rig is recommended, Sounds immerses you in, and the soundtrack helps keeping the focus on.
  8. RoelE.
    May 1, 2010
    Conviction is a whole new story in the Splinter cell-series. The new ways to kill your enemy's is awsome! I absolutly love the mark & execute one. Like in the other Splinter cell games you'll have some special attacks such as "Death from above" & "HumanShield". I think Ubisoft has done a great job on Splinter Cell Convictions!!
  9. Jun 25, 2011
    Well, It was a fun game, yes, it is very different from the previous splinter cell games. But it is still fun, it no longer puts as much emphasis on stealth as the previous games, and has none of the espionage of double agent, but it is great for running around , moving from place to place like a ghost, feeling like a bad ass. not worth 60 bucks, but for the 20 something it is now,Well, It was a fun game, yes, it is very different from the previous splinter cell games. But it is still fun, it no longer puts as much emphasis on stealth as the previous games, and has none of the espionage of double agent, but it is great for running around , moving from place to place like a ghost, feeling like a bad ass. not worth 60 bucks, but for the 20 something it is now, consider giving it a try. Expand
  10. Dec 24, 2010
    Cheeky on how a lot of the user ratings here are negative due solely to the DRM scheme Ubisoft has, not the game itself. If you don't have a 24/7 internet connection in this day and age... Anyway, the game itself is pretty darn fun. The campaign itself is a bit short, but the game offers many other things to pass your time; Deniable ops, essentially a campaign in of itself, albeit theCheeky on how a lot of the user ratings here are negative due solely to the DRM scheme Ubisoft has, not the game itself. If you don't have a 24/7 internet connection in this day and age... Anyway, the game itself is pretty darn fun. The campaign itself is a bit short, but the game offers many other things to pass your time; Deniable ops, essentially a campaign in of itself, albeit the lack of dialogue and cut-scenes, offers many white knuckle moments that test your skills. Co-op offers another plus for this game, sneaking through guards with a buddy, making a competition of it sometimes. Expand
  11. Apr 25, 2012
    put simply, I love espionage games, while conviction is a lot different to the original splinter cell games but that isn't a bad thing, what is bad is that you need a internet connection even to play single player. **** stupid in my opinion as this leaves some people unable to play the game at all. the game itself had a couple of issues with the controls that I found but overall theput simply, I love espionage games, while conviction is a lot different to the original splinter cell games but that isn't a bad thing, what is bad is that you need a internet connection even to play single player. **** stupid in my opinion as this leaves some people unable to play the game at all. the game itself had a couple of issues with the controls that I found but overall the gameplay was very fun.

For those complaining about multiplayer, yes that is where most games are going, but it ruins the storyline in most cases when you get people who play the game to death and know every little detail, or cry when they fail leaving myself and I'm sure many other gamers fairly angry not to mention the lack of stealth compared to others.

The reason for my 9/10? Ignoring the fact that a lot has been pissed on with this game its still a hell of a lot of fun with a fairly solid platform meaning less focusing on spotting bugs like guns won't reload properly or some b.s. like that and more focusing on immersing yourself into the story
  12. Dec 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Though the PC version of this is clearly a port, complete with confusing controls and lag, the story is fun and the co-op adds extra time to it, making this game a good game with its only downfalls being the fact that it is a port. The graphics up close are great, but once you look beyond the foreground you have static skies, pixelated graphics (for some reason the game won't let me play it at my laptop's maximum resolution), and 2D buildings. Stealth isn't as key as it was in the other Splinter Cell entries, with the exception of co-op and one mission, if you get detected you can still survive. There are even several missions where stealth isn't even really neccessary, theres a flashback sequence in Iraq where you play as a one man army, numerous survival missions and apparently the top of the range enemy agents have the same sonic goggles that you aquire that let them see people through walls, so with them its sort of gestured at by the game that you don't need stealth. But personally, the lack of stealth suits me fine. Being a fan of Tom Clancy though, I did notice some things that contradicted against the books. In The Teeth of the Tiger, I clearly remember Jack Ryan junior being in an exercise where he has been told not to put his sidearm to his cheek action movie style. However, as Sam Fisher in Splinter Cell Conviction, that is the animation that you do when you get in cover. They were trained in different places but if one secret black ops complex thinks a simple thing is stupid why would the other do just that? Personally this just shows that the name Tom Clancy is just there for marketing, and nothing more. Expand
  13. May 15, 2012
    I'm not a fan of the earlier splinter cell games for PC. I tried them (after buying them at a deep discount on Steam) but didn't care for the clunky controls or the tedious gameplay. Conviction on the other hand is really fun to play. As others have mentioned, the single player campaign does go by pretty quickly. There's some replayability if you ratchet up the difficulty and try to workI'm not a fan of the earlier splinter cell games for PC. I tried them (after buying them at a deep discount on Steam) but didn't care for the clunky controls or the tedious gameplay. Conviction on the other hand is really fun to play. As others have mentioned, the single player campaign does go by pretty quickly. There's some replayability if you ratchet up the difficulty and try to work through the levels without being detected. The inability to skip through some of the "story telling" bits on subsequent plays does get annoying.

The Deniable Ops pack gives the casual action gamer a nice variety of missions that you can play through in 10-30 minutes depending on how you want to play them (run & gun vs. stealth). These are highly replayable as you can experiment with a variety of tactics and approaches to each level. Given that I bought this game years after it's release, I haven't played much multi-player. Seems like it would be fun over a LAN though.

For the next release, I'd love to see a few improvements. While you can use the "human shield" feature to grab someone, pull them into the shadows, and dump their body somewhere it won't be noticed, it's pretty clear that the feature wasn't designed with that scenario in mind. It would also be nice to have ways of disabling lights without shooting them (cutting wires, unplugging lamps, etc.). It would also be nice to be able to do knife take downs instead of always using your primary weapon. It would also be nice to incorporate some other close quarters combat options. I'd also like to see the "realistic" mode be a little more realistic :). You can discharge a silenced weapon in the same room as an enemy and they won't respond. I do love the interactivity of the environments. There's a level with a grandfather clock you hear ticking as you creep by. Vaulting, cat-like over a desk can disturb objects on top of it. Vaulting over a chain link fence produces the appropriate sounds. And, contrary to some of the other reviewers, I found the controls (with practice) to be extremely fluid - much more so than any other game of this type I've played. I would like to see even more interactivity in the sequel: running through puddles, climbing onto objects, etc. should produce the appropriate sounds.
  14. Jul 30, 2011
    Looks fantastic and lots of fun, utilizes the Unreal engine to great effect, has clearly polarized fans of the older games by adopting a different gameplay style to previous Splinter Cell titles though, DRM pisses people off no end but I haven't had any problems with it yet, box art warns that a permanent internet connection is required to play the game. Only drawback is the single playerLooks fantastic and lots of fun, utilizes the Unreal engine to great effect, has clearly polarized fans of the older games by adopting a different gameplay style to previous Splinter Cell titles though, DRM pisses people off no end but I haven't had any problems with it yet, box art warns that a permanent internet connection is required to play the game. Only drawback is the single player mode is incredibly short, I must've finished my first playthrough in 6-7 hours. Expand
  15. Aug 25, 2010
    I liked it. I have been a fan of every Splinter Cell game, and have replayed them all recently in preparation for Conviction. They are all similar, but increasingly different with each release, and that is what makes moving from one to the next so intriguing. One of my complaints is not with the game but my choice to play on my 8 year old Dell Dimension. Even though I have a newerI liked it. I have been a fan of every Splinter Cell game, and have replayed them all recently in preparation for Conviction. They are all similar, but increasingly different with each release, and that is what makes moving from one to the next so intriguing. One of my complaints is not with the game but my choice to play on my 8 year old Dell Dimension. Even though I have a newer decent graphics card, and lots of memory, it got sluggish on my system when there was lots of objects in play. I am interested to play on a dedicated console, but I will not fault the game for my choice of aged hardware.

I am bugged by some of the negative comments and I guess I have not experienced any of the concerns of these people. I had no problem with Digital Rights Management or the consistency of my Internet connection, I had no concerns about the plot (um its a GAME, not a blockbuster movie). Sure it could have been better, but I also find joy in playing Backgammon, which has no plot at all.

As far as those talking about lacking the Stealth feeling, I disagree. I think it was quite a bit harder to maintain stealth in then game. I found that the AI actually were more aware of your presence, and having to choose better times to sneak through a room, or jump out of sight was much more narrow than in previous versions. This is a GOOD thing.

I will say that GI magazine had a good comment that referenced the Chatty Kathy enemy, their presence was more akin to "Dr. Evil's Henchmen". This is true. They did annoy me quite a bit. It just gave me more reason to quickly dispatch them and move on.

I cannot comment on co-op play. I am not a co-op fan. I like th single player only, so I can lend no review to the co-op side of things.

I was not as pleased with the Ops portion of the game, it was more like just doing Stealth training in different situations. Not bad, just not extraordinary. I wish they could have put more development into a long Sam story and leave the Ops out completely.

I hope this is truly not the end of the Splinter Cell series. I think it could be taken much further.
  16. Klarden
    May 1, 2010
    Ubisoft didn't fail to amaze with this release, as they did with all of their games for the past 8 years. Tell me, can you imagine a game that is awesome AND awful at the same time? Maybe Ubisoft went to some special lessions, but they constantly create such games. It's not Splinter Cell as i played it (by being as stealthy as possible). You can't even play like that. You Ubisoft didn't fail to amaze with this release, as they did with all of their games for the past 8 years. Tell me, can you imagine a game that is awesome AND awful at the same time? Maybe Ubisoft went to some special lessions, but they constantly create such games. It's not Splinter Cell as i played it (by being as stealthy as possible). You can't even play like that. You are the ultimate killing machine now. An ultimate killing machine that can bash the door or kick the car instead of the enemy. A super-predator that will spend a minute trying to find a place, where climbing up and not jumping around the table is possible. An agile hunter, for whom lying bottle can be an invisible magic wall. Thankfully, post-soviet countries don't have to pay 60 buck for this game, otherwise i wouldn't have rated it 8. P.S. And co-op and multiplayer? Well, "server is currently unavailable" is a pretty good game. Expand
  17. Aug 19, 2010
    I think the game was absolutely awesome! The graphics were excellent, the AI was quite challenging, and the story was also pretty good, although not that immersive.

I loved the mark and execute mechanic, and the way the screen fades to black&white when you are invisible. Would have like a little more freedom of movement throughout the levels, and more weapon upgrades would have been

Would have like a little more freedom of movement throughout the levels, and more weapon upgrades would have been nice.

Overall it's a very good addition to the Splinter Cell series.
  18. Oct 3, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not a a SC game. It is an action game, with a strong focus on shooting. Most of the moves you could do are gone, instead replaced by better shooting. And shooting was never supposed to be SC's strong point. There is less stealth (including a entire mission which is nothing but shooting), you are always detected, so the game is basically focused on using the new last known position indicator to play cat and mouse. A lot of the game play also revolves around silently killing one enemy so you can use the new mark and execute feature to kill everyone. By taking out core SC elements, Ubisoft has created a mediocre game. They screwed up Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, and now Splinter Cell. The whole plot is also weak, based off of (Spoilers) Sam killing Lambert to maintain cover in Double Agent. Something I doubt he would do, and carries over with Sam's daughter actually being alive and used to keep Sam going. Sarah dying in Double Agent was stupid anyway. At least the technical side is decent. Expand
  19. Mar 25, 2012
    I just finished the single player campaign for SCC and I have to say that this is one the best games I've played in long time. Some context - I picked this up on Steam for $20.00, so my view of it will probably be different than some who paid full price, but frankly if I had a 360 or a PC that could run it when it was released I would have gladly paid 60.00 for it. Wow, what a greatI just finished the single player campaign for SCC and I have to say that this is one the best games I've played in long time. Some context - I picked this up on Steam for $20.00, so my view of it will probably be different than some who paid full price, but frankly if I had a 360 or a PC that could run it when it was released I would have gladly paid 60.00 for it. Wow, what a great game. The plot is excellent, the levels have just the right difficulty, and the single player campaign is just the right length. It's true that this is not the same Splinter Cell that came out nine years ago, but I very much like what it's become and I had a great time. If I could fault this game, it would be the following; heavy-handed DRM; wow, what were they thinking? The DRM didn't affect my experience, but requiring a persistent connection is a bad call. Also, the cut scenes should have all been rendered in real time. It's a bit jarring to go from awesome, crisp Unreal engine graphics to lower res cut scene footage. Beyond that, this is a AAA title. I don't think we're going to get many hot releases in gaming this year, so it's a good time to go through the Steam collection and do some bargain hunting. This is a good game to get and the price is definitely right. Expand
  20. Apr 6, 2012
    I loved the new direction of this game. The game's new stealth bothered me at first until about half way through the game and I gave into it. Once I started reacting to the enemies and used the enviroment it was a blast to play on Realistic mode and see what interesting way's I could tackle each map.

I would highly recommend playing on Realistic. Stealth game are my favorite and this one

I would highly recommend playing on Realistic.

Stealth game are my favorite and this one really surprised me. As a skeptic I was won over by this deadly, reactive Sam Fisher.
  21. Jun 6, 2012
    The campaign is short but, there is a mode called Denied Ops which is very addicting and you could play hours of it. I'm a fan of the splinter cell series so I like it. To me campaign is worth at least 4 playthroughs before it gets a little old. It's very fun to play, complete challenges, and try to be as stealthy as possible. The only downside is you must have internet access to play theThe campaign is short but, there is a mode called Denied Ops which is very addicting and you could play hours of it. I'm a fan of the splinter cell series so I like it. To me campaign is worth at least 4 playthroughs before it gets a little old. It's very fun to play, complete challenges, and try to be as stealthy as possible. The only downside is you must have internet access to play the game, so if your internet is down, you can't play. In my opinion it's worth the 60$ but I would suggest getting the deluxe version, it adds a new mode in denied ops which is really fun, it also gives you the scar-h for a new weapon. Overall its a very good game, and worth the buy. I'm giving it a 9/10 because needing to have internet access at all times sucks. Expand
  22. ProphetofDoom
    May 5, 2010
    Where are all your comments you whinning bitches? This game looks great plays great with keyboard and mouse and feels great, a worthy follow up to Double Agent. Much better use of the unreal engine than bioware's effort in Mass Effect 2, which is not unexpected... Sam Fisher is one of the truly great characters of gameing, in no small part thanks to Micheal Ironside, whose rasping Where are all your comments you whinning bitches? This game looks great plays great with keyboard and mouse and feels great, a worthy follow up to Double Agent. Much better use of the unreal engine than bioware's effort in Mass Effect 2, which is not unexpected... Sam Fisher is one of the truly great characters of gameing, in no small part thanks to Micheal Ironside, whose rasping irony sets the mood right from the first sentence. The people who voted this game so low are probably the same pack of wankers we voted Dragon Age Origins RPG of the year. When it should have been voted biggest "..from the makers of KOTOR...", media hype, let down pile of bullshit of the year. Expand
  23. May 25, 2012
    i bought this game very cheap recently only to find out that i cant even play single player because of some server error.but i am giving it a 9 you know why?because i have managed to play offline now by cracking it.i will never buy a game again from any company having always on requirement to play even single player.fuk games like simscity and diablo 3
  24. Jan 5, 2012
    The story and graphics are really amazing. I don't have any problem with any lag or glitches and the controls are fine to me, quite similar to the previous Splinter Cells. The one problem I do understand is that is is indeed a little over-priced. I got the whole series for $33 so im not complaining.
  25. Jul 21, 2012
    I loved the story set in Washington, DC. The gameplay is unique. It's not a straight up shooter; there's a heavy emphasis on stealth and marking and executing, which I enjoyed. Another thing that makes the gameplay great is the fact that there are multiple ways to approach each mission. It's brilliant honestly. Unfortunately the game runs like **** and comes with Ubisoft's stupid DRM.I loved the story set in Washington, DC. The gameplay is unique. It's not a straight up shooter; there's a heavy emphasis on stealth and marking and executing, which I enjoyed. Another thing that makes the gameplay great is the fact that there are multiple ways to approach each mission. It's brilliant honestly. Unfortunately the game runs like **** and comes with Ubisoft's stupid DRM. But the DRM doesn't run all the time, it just runs with and closes with the game. You need a very powerful machine to run this game at a decent framerate, which doesn't really make sense considering the graphics aren't anything special. I wanted to score it higher, but because of the optimization issues, 8/10. Expand
  26. Dec 15, 2011
    A major letdown if you compare it to Chaos Theory, but definitely an improvement on the atrocity that was Double Agent. Conviction (either unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your take) decides to stray from the stealth-based aspect that made the original splinter cell so amazing and go in a more action-driven direction. It's not a bad game, in the least, but it is different, andA major letdown if you compare it to Chaos Theory, but definitely an improvement on the atrocity that was Double Agent. Conviction (either unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your take) decides to stray from the stealth-based aspect that made the original splinter cell so amazing and go in a more action-driven direction. It's not a bad game, in the least, but it is different, and somewhat difficult to get used to. But once you get over that hurdle, you start to see that it really is a great game. The story's pretty interesting (and told in a sort of Dan Brown, ending>present fashion), and the shooting works well. The Mark and Execute feature (which I was a bit skeptical about, at first) is surprisingly fun and very well implemented. The Last Known Position feature is a perfect addition for a Splinter Cell game, but it's arguable that it may make the stealth aspect a bit dumbed down and unappealing. The action is fast paced and has you thinking on your toes, and, thanks to the new stealth system, is easy to integrate with your sneaking abilities. A few things continuously nag me about this game, however. First of all, the sound aspect is almost completely wiped out. So long as Fisher is walking or crouched, enemies never seem to hear him. Secondly, the stealth system is very black-and-white (no pun intended). Rather than having the normal feature where your level of stealth is dependent on how much light is shining on you, apparently, in Conviction, you're either bright as a search light or dark as pitch. So long as your screen is black and white, an enemy isn't likely to see you, even if your bated breath is passing feverishly across their neck. Finally, perhaps my biggest peeve of this game is Sam's age. From the original all the way up to Double Agent, Sam's always taken it somewhat slow and professional. He had acrobatic skills and upper-body strength, sure, but he wasn't superhuman. Now in Conviction, despite his old age and emotional breakdowns (of which he's had quite a few), he seems as ripe and ready as a spring chicken. Scaling walls is now a breeze and he moves faster than he ever had in his previous years. Overall, the game is wonderfully entertaining, but compared to its predecessors, Conviction just doesn't live up to the Splinter Cell name. Expand
  27. Jul 20, 2012
    I bought this game at a Steam sale... wow... what a blast, worth every dime ! Very satisfying stealth and shooting action, good cover mechanics, decent graphics, with good AI. There are lots of options to play different modes, including multiplayer, it offers much more than a simple campaign so lots of replay value.

I play this on PC with a joystick, and I haven't had so much fun since

I play this on PC with a joystick, and I haven't had so much fun since Goldeneye on the N64 and Crysis 1.
  28. JakeMarsta
    Sep 2, 2008
    Since I'm a douche like Frikasee, here is a review of a game that comes out in a year or more. Umm yeah, you know, the gameplay is cool. Uhh, Sam Fisher has no gadgets, but that doesn't mean it sucks. Oh well, here is my vote. I don't even care if the game comes out. No, absolutely not.
  29. Nov 26, 2011
    Splinter Cell Conviction is a really great game! The controls are great, the story is great, the graphics are great. Its only sad that the campaign is so short!
  30. Aug 6, 2012
    4+/5 (Very good) So... I take it you guys did NOT have fun playing this game. Such a shame, because I've had a wonderful time playing it. You like stealth based games? Buy this.
  31. Feb 4, 2014
    Its a good gamefffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
  32. Jul 6, 2012
    What's everyone complaining about? Yeah, so they sped the game up with the changes, they had to, the other's were snooze fests. I love the changes, accept the mark and execute - it's cheating, plain and simple, should be an option to turn it off. DRM is also a turn off. Logging into ubisoft to play?, REALLY? DRM and the cheating - mark and execute feature are the only thing stopping meWhat's everyone complaining about? Yeah, so they sped the game up with the changes, they had to, the other's were snooze fests. I love the changes, accept the mark and execute - it's cheating, plain and simple, should be an option to turn it off. DRM is also a turn off. Logging into ubisoft to play?, REALLY? DRM and the cheating - mark and execute feature are the only thing stopping me from giving it a 10. Expand
  33. Feb 10, 2013
    story- the overall story involves the return of Sam Fisher to save the world or America in a takeover by the agency he used to work for and at the same time figure out who to trust. gameplay- the game runs pretty smooth throughout. you can go with stealth approach or guns blazing. it would have been nice if they added a dialogue option in the game, similar to that of 'Alpha Protocol'. Istory- the overall story involves the return of Sam Fisher to save the world or America in a takeover by the agency he used to work for and at the same time figure out who to trust. gameplay- the game runs pretty smooth throughout. you can go with stealth approach or guns blazing. it would have been nice if they added a dialogue option in the game, similar to that of 'Alpha Protocol'. I think that would have made the game more replayable and interesting. controls are similar to tomb raider, prince of persia games where you climb walls, etc. but this game you can be more tactical and shoot out lights and stuff.

video- the graphics are pretty good. as long as gameplay is good.

audio- music is solid and effects are great, helps to have surround sound.

overall- the game could definitely be better but its not all that bad. in my honest opinion, i feel that the older ones were much better. solid game overall, just not as good as the previous ones and left me wanting a bit more than was given.
  34. Sep 12, 2013
    i played some of the previous splinter cell games and i never brought myself to finish them i didn't like them at all but this one due to its fast paced gameplay stealth parts and amazing gadgets this is simply the perfect splinter cell for me
  35. Jan 28, 2014
    After playing through the mediocrity of Splinter Cell: Blacklist, it was refreshing to go back and play through this one again. In my opinion this is truly the best Splinter Cell game in the series. It has an engrossing and engaging storyline, brutal combat and most importantly it has Michael Ironside! I am truly hoping that Ubisoft will listen to some of the fan opinions and continue toAfter playing through the mediocrity of Splinter Cell: Blacklist, it was refreshing to go back and play through this one again. In my opinion this is truly the best Splinter Cell game in the series. It has an engrossing and engaging storyline, brutal combat and most importantly it has Michael Ironside! I am truly hoping that Ubisoft will listen to some of the fan opinions and continue to mold the future Splinter Cell titles in the style of Conviction. Expand
  36. Apr 13, 2014
    A great game that concludes one of my favorite series. While I understand why people dislike it, I adored it from start to finish. It's all about Sam in the end, and the gameplay change definitely fits it in that regard. The man has had enough and is at his peak physically and mentally. He simply doesn't care anymore and wants it all behind him. Micheal Ironside gives his best performanceA great game that concludes one of my favorite series. While I understand why people dislike it, I adored it from start to finish. It's all about Sam in the end, and the gameplay change definitely fits it in that regard. The man has had enough and is at his peak physically and mentally. He simply doesn't care anymore and wants it all behind him. Micheal Ironside gives his best performance yet, and with some really great level and sound design (Amon Tobin never ceases to amaze), it's quite memorable in parts. The coop is also brilliant and incredibly fun with a friend.

It isn't nearly as stealthy as its predecessors, but that doesn't mean there isn't any stealth, and it's by far a 'very bad Splinter Cell game'. Playing Chaos Theory, Double Agent and Conviction back to back is an absolutely solid video game experience. Don't miss it.
  37. Aug 31, 2013
    Well, I had the chance to try out the game. Excellent cinematic atmosphere and excellent graphics. But, unfortunately, missed the game dropped objects, whistling and quite a few moves. Instead of the usual platform-smelling, I press the button, and hide everything behind
  38. Nov 20, 2013
    Despite the fact I've played Splinter Cell games before; Conviction is the first which I have managed to finish! Now having completed it I'm very much inclined to work my way through the other titles! The stealth over gun blazing approach has always made a very interesting concept for a game and I personally find it very refreshing! There’s something much more exciting about the game whenDespite the fact I've played Splinter Cell games before; Conviction is the first which I have managed to finish! Now having completed it I'm very much inclined to work my way through the other titles! The stealth over gun blazing approach has always made a very interesting concept for a game and I personally find it very refreshing! There’s something much more exciting about the game when you’re hiding in the shadows plotting you next move to make the kill! The game looks great, plays well and provides a lot of entertainment! I can’t compare it too previous entries too much as I don’t have a great deal of experience but it’s certainly a great title! Expand

1. Conviction appeals to a whole new crowd that grew up on creating distractions, using every single gadget in their inventory and dragging bodies into shadows. If Conviction is evidence of where Ubisoft is taking the series, they are about to win over a lot of new fans and potentially upset a portion of those already loyal.
  2. The single-player story is short, but it's filled with a lot of great moments. The co-op multiplayer helps to give the package a lot more bite.
  3. I have no problem recommending Conviction to anyone who enjoys the Splinter Cell series or third person action/stealth games in general. I would have loved a much longer and more involved campaign, but the additional modes (including a separate co-op campaign) go a long way in making up for that.