4.8

1. Jan 3, 2012
    It isn't another Chaos Theory -- but that's a good thing. SC:C goes in completely different direction. Sam is darker and more violent. His weapons and equipment have been upgraded. The cover system has been updated and works as good as any I've seen. The stealth system has been updated as well. Instead of watching a stealth meter, the game turns black and white when Sam is invisible. It works surprisingly well. There are usually multiple paths through each mission/level. The main story is challenging and will provide hours of gameplay. The cream of SC:Conviction is Denied Ops. It has three game modes -- Hunter, Infiltration, and Last Stand -- playable on five unique and challenging maps. Hunter requires you to move through the maps killing bad guys. If you are seen, the bad guys call in reinforcements. Infiltration requires you to move through the maps killing bad guys. If you are seen, the alarm sounds and the game ends. I haven't played Last Stand so cannot speak about it.

Infiltration and Hunter when played on "Realistic" turn into multi-hour experiences as you try to isolate and kill bad guys one by one. Enemy AI is tough, will flank you, and is fast on the trigger. Also, there are motion-sensitive cameras and infrared lasers to deal with.

There is a co-op mode that I have yet to try. Supposedly, you and your partner play as two agents (one from Third Echelon and one from a Russian agency). You two work your way through five or six maps with your own co-op storyline. It sounds good and there are plenty of youtube videos of co-op gameplay.

This game is a steal at $20. Denied Ops alone is worth the $20. Make sure you get the "Insurgency DLC" too. It comes with four more maps for Denied Ops -- San Francisco, Salt Lake City, New Orleans, and Portland, OR. San Fran is a shipyard/cargoyard, Salt Lake City is a mysterious industrial office. New Orleans is a graveyard - -where you fight above ground and in tunnels underground! Portland is an old prison. I've logged easily 200-250hrs in SC:Conviction playing the main storyline and Denied Ops. It's a boatload of fun that will challenge most PC gamers. Highly recommend.

PS: Note that SC:Conviction talks to some Ubisoft servers during startup and possibly during gameplay. It was a hassle sorting things out but once it was working, it did not interfere with gameplay.
  2. Aug 19, 2010
    I think the game was absolutely awesome! The graphics were excellent, the AI was quite challenging, and the story was also pretty good, although not that immersive.

I loved the mark and execute mechanic, and the way the screen fades to black&white when you are invisible.

Would have like a little more freedom of movement throughout the levels, and more weapon upgrades would have been
    nice.

Overall it's a very good addition to the Splinter Cell series.
  3. Feb 18, 2011
    First off, to those who are so paranoid with publishers and how they protect their content you might not like SCC due to Ubisoft requiring constant internet access, but as people keep pirating games this will only get worse.

But if you can get past this and focus on the actual game created by the developers and at least enjoyed the plot from the previous game (Double Agent) then you may
    or may not enjoy this addition alot more. The story begins with a nice little kick start that doesn't take you into a 10-20 min tutorial without any shooting and killing, and off you go down Ubisoft's continued plot left off from Double Agent, sneaking or blasting through the levels as you travel deeper into the rabbit hole.

The game mechanics have changed a fair amount allowing for more fluid transitions that make you feel as though you are controling a real person rather than a T-700 that looks like a person, giving you a more fufilling feeling as you continue to go around executing your enemy from the shadows in new fashions. Ubisoft made a delightful change, in my opinion, on how you go about the levels, whether you choose to shotty people out in the light while breaching a room or silently moving unseen using the shadows and structures to your advantage. There are certain parts where they force you to be open about your killer presence, but it does fit with the situation Sam would currently be in and forces players to be ready to change tactics if such an event occurs.

If it wasn't for the connection problems and high improbability of ever finding someone waiting for matchmaker to work at the same exact time as you then the multiplayer would be great. Though I really must say that I still prefer Chaos Theory's multiplayer I do like the switch from vs. to more of a coop that doesn't fry peoples nerves and cause people to throw dirty accuasations back and forth. Speaking of coop, the coop for SCC is well done and is a great addition to the single player storyline, which is actually a sequel to the coop. I think the greatest thing SCC coop did was build each players' love for the two characters, Archer and Kestrel, and in the end put a sad twist which only heightened your disgust for the antagonists from the singleplayer.

Overall I think it is a great, proactive addition to the SC series that provides a fresh new way to play while also retaining a majority of the original gameplay that makes SC so much fun to play. If you can get past the DRM and not be hypercritical of the additions then you'll see that Ubisoft has done a really nice job with SCC considering the delays to its release.
  4. Dec 31, 2011
    The newest addition to the Splinter Cell series, features a lot of changes, which in my opinion are welcome.

Sam Fisher, now retired from the Third Echelon finds himself working without US support, trusting only friends and wanted by the government, he must fight on against this conspiracy and prove himself innocent.

Story mode is quite long and fun, you will be visiting alot of
    different environments, and using different tactics, some times you must rush, pursue or kill enemies, sometimes you need to go stealth without alerting them, using a variety of equipments and gadgets, the game offers a unique weapon system, where his primary weapon is a pistol, and all others are secondaries, handguns are always equipped.

Co-Op mode offers story and arcade style elimination, and its fun to play with friends, developing different tactics and approaches.

Graphics are very good, a high-end gaming rig is recommended, Sounds immerses you in, and the soundtrack helps keeping the focus on.
  5. Oct 3, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not a a SC game. It is an action game, with a strong focus on shooting. Most of the moves you could do are gone, instead replaced by better shooting. And shooting was never supposed to be SC's strong point. There is less stealth (including a entire mission which is nothing but shooting), you are always detected, so the game is basically focused on using the new last known position indicator to play cat and mouse. A lot of the game play also revolves around silently killing one enemy so you can use the new mark and execute feature to kill everyone. By taking out core SC elements, Ubisoft has created a mediocre game. They screwed up Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, and now Splinter Cell. The whole plot is also weak, based off of (Spoilers) Sam killing Lambert to maintain cover in Double Agent. Something I doubt he would do, and carries over with Sam's daughter actually being alive and used to keep Sam going. Sarah dying in Double Agent was stupid anyway. At least the technical side is decent. Expand
  6. Dec 17, 2011
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction is one of the best sequels in the Splinter Cell series at all. Innovations as Last Known Position system and Mark and Execute feature are just great and fun to play. Ubisoft team did really an excellent job in AI with the Unreal engine and the atmosphere and locations are just breathtaking.
  7. Sep 18, 2011
    I don't get it. I always hated the Splinter Cell games with passion. Since my only previous contact with the stealth genre came from Metal Gear, I was happy to hear about a series focused on more realistic and gear . But the first game didn't impress me, since countless times i couldn't do a teorical perfect strategy. Only 1 possible solution for each screen, so the game became a puzzle and lost it's touch. Since then, I came back in contact to the series in 2011, with Chaos Theory, since Double Agent was terrible on the PC port. Again, disappointment. This time, I always have the feeling I didn't do exactly what was expected from me, and then, I need to restart the level. Since I never got the feeling of doing something right, the game lost it's touch. One time the game hangup and I never touched the game again. Then I get Conviction. the narrative is not generic, this time it's personal, and for the first time, the story got me (and I don't even know anything about any of the characters). The action is great, just enough action, preventing the game to become boring and just enough stealth to keep you on your toes. The execution technique makes things easier, but far from easy, since it's not always so easy doing a melee kill to earn it. The only negative is the DRM, i had to uninstall the launcher, because it came from other Ubisoft game and only after uninstalling and re-installing again it let me launch the game, but it's still a 10 to me. Maybe this game disappointed the series fans, but if you, like me, never got into Sam Fisher's mind, do yourself a favor, ignore this score and get this game now. Expand
  8. Jan 5, 2012
    The story and graphics are really amazing. I don't have any problem with any lag or glitches and the controls are fine to me, quite similar to the previous Splinter Cells. The one problem I do understand is that is is indeed a little over-priced. I got the whole series for $33 so im not complaining.
  9. Mar 15, 2012
    Over a year later and I'm still coming back to play Deniable Ops. That alone is a testament to how much I have enjoyed this game. Splinter Cell took a dip in quality during Double Agent's time, but it has come back stronger than ever.

The movement mechanics for climbing and sneaking your way all over the environments is smooth, snappy and a joy to use. Add in the satisfying 'mark and
    execute', and you have a fresh new fast paced stealth experience.

The single player may, in the end, be forgettable. However, the Deniable Ops mode offers a near limitless re-playability. If only even more maps had been released, I'd still be buying them up left and right. Here's hoping the next Splinter Cell is just as great, if not even better.
  10. Mar 25, 2012
    I just finished the single player campaign for SCC and I have to say that this is one the best games I've played in long time. Some context - I picked this up on Steam for $20.00, so my view of it will probably be different than some who paid full price, but frankly if I had a 360 or a PC that could run it when it was released I would have gladly paid 60.00 for it. Wow, what a great game. The plot is excellent, the levels have just the right difficulty, and the single player campaign is just the right length. It's true that this is not the same Splinter Cell that came out nine years ago, but I very much like what it's become and I had a great time. If I could fault this game, it would be the following; heavy-handed DRM; wow, what were they thinking? The DRM didn't affect my experience, but requiring a persistent connection is a bad call. Also, the cut scenes should have all been rendered in real time. It's a bit jarring to go from awesome, crisp Unreal engine graphics to lower res cut scene footage. Beyond that, this is a AAA title. I don't think we're going to get many hot releases in gaming this year, so it's a good time to go through the Steam collection and do some bargain hunting. This is a good game to get and the price is definitely right. Expand
  11. Apr 6, 2012
    I loved the new direction of this game. The game's new stealth bothered me at first until about half way through the game and I gave into it. Once I started reacting to the enemies and used the enviroment it was a blast to play on Realistic mode and see what interesting way's I could tackle each map.

I would highly recommend playing on Realistic.

Stealth game are my favorite and this one
    really surprised me. As a skeptic I was won over by this deadly, reactive Sam Fisher. Expand
  12. May 25, 2012
    i bought this game very cheap recently only to find out that i cant even play single player because of some server error.but i am giving it a 9 you know why?because i have managed to play offline now by cracking it.i will never buy a game again from any company having always on requirement to play even single player.fuk games like simscity and diablo 3
  13. Apr 25, 2012
    put simply, I love espionage games, while conviction is a lot different to the original splinter cell games but that isn't a bad thing, what is bad is that you need a internet connection even to play single player. **** stupid in my opinion as this leaves some people unable to play the game at all. the game itself had a couple of issues with the controls that I found but overall the gameplay was very fun.

For those complaining about multiplayer, yes that is where most games are going, but it ruins the storyline in most cases when you get people who play the game to death and know every little detail, or cry when they fail leaving myself and I'm sure many other gamers fairly angry not to mention the lack of stealth compared to others.

The reason for my 9/10? Ignoring the fact that a lot has been pissed on with this game its still a hell of a lot of fun with a fairly solid platform meaning less focusing on spotting bugs like guns won't reload properly or some b.s. like that and more focusing on immersing yourself into the story
  14. Jul 6, 2012
    What's everyone complaining about? Yeah, so they sped the game up with the changes, they had to, the other's were snooze fests. I love the changes, accept the mark and execute - it's cheating, plain and simple, should be an option to turn it off. DRM is also a turn off. Logging into ubisoft to play?, REALLY? DRM and the cheating - mark and execute feature are the only thing stopping me from giving it a 10. Expand
  15. May 15, 2012
    I'm not a fan of the earlier splinter cell games for PC. I tried them (after buying them at a deep discount on Steam) but didn't care for the clunky controls or the tedious gameplay. Conviction on the other hand is really fun to play. As others have mentioned, the single player campaign does go by pretty quickly. There's some replayability if you ratchet up the difficulty and try to work through the levels without being detected. The inability to skip through some of the "story telling" bits on subsequent plays does get annoying.

The Deniable Ops pack gives the casual action gamer a nice variety of missions that you can play through in 10-30 minutes depending on how you want to play them (run & gun vs. stealth). These are highly replayable as you can experiment with a variety of tactics and approaches to each level. Given that I bought this game years after it's release, I haven't played much multi-player. Seems like it would be fun over a LAN though.

For the next release, I'd love to see a few improvements. While you can use the "human shield" feature to grab someone, pull them into the shadows, and dump their body somewhere it won't be noticed, it's pretty clear that the feature wasn't designed with that scenario in mind. It would also be nice to have ways of disabling lights without shooting them (cutting wires, unplugging lamps, etc.). It would also be nice to be able to do knife take downs instead of always using your primary weapon. It would also be nice to incorporate some other close quarters combat options. I'd also like to see the "realistic" mode be a little more realistic :). You can discharge a silenced weapon in the same room as an enemy and they won't respond. I do love the interactivity of the environments. There's a level with a grandfather clock you hear ticking as you creep by. Vaulting, cat-like over a desk can disturb objects on top of it. Vaulting over a chain link fence produces the appropriate sounds. And, contrary to some of the other reviewers, I found the controls (with practice) to be extremely fluid - much more so than any other game of this type I've played. I would like to see even more interactivity in the sequel: running through puddles, climbing onto objects, etc. should produce the appropriate sounds.
  16. Jun 6, 2012
    The campaign is short but, there is a mode called Denied Ops which is very addicting and you could play hours of it. I'm a fan of the splinter cell series so I like it. To me campaign is worth at least 4 playthroughs before it gets a little old. It's very fun to play, complete challenges, and try to be as stealthy as possible. The only downside is you must have internet access to play the game, so if your internet is down, you can't play. In my opinion it's worth the 60$ but I would suggest getting the deluxe version, it adds a new mode in denied ops which is really fun, it also gives you the scar-h for a new weapon. Overall its a very good game, and worth the buy. I'm giving it a 9/10 because needing to have internet access at all times sucks. Expand
  17. Jul 20, 2012
    I bought this game at a Steam sale... wow... what a blast, worth every dime ! Very satisfying stealth and shooting action, good cover mechanics, decent graphics, with good AI. There are lots of options to play different modes, including multiplayer, it offers much more than a simple campaign so lots of replay value.

I play this on PC with a joystick, and I haven't had so much fun since
    Goldeneye on the N64 and Crysis 1. Expand
  18. Aug 6, 2012
    4+/5 (Very good) So... I take it you guys did NOT have fun playing this game. Such a shame, because I've had a wonderful time playing it. You like stealth based games? Buy this.
  19. Sep 12, 2013
    i played some of the previous splinter cell games and i never brought myself to finish them i didn't like them at all but this one due to its fast paced gameplay stealth parts and amazing gadgets this is simply the perfect splinter cell for me
  20. Jan 28, 2014
    After playing through the mediocrity of Splinter Cell: Blacklist, it was refreshing to go back and play through this one again. In my opinion this is truly the best Splinter Cell game in the series. It has an engrossing and engaging storyline, brutal combat and most importantly it has Michael Ironside! I am truly hoping that Ubisoft will listen to some of the fan opinions and continue to mold the future Splinter Cell titles in the style of Conviction. Expand
  21. Apr 13, 2014
    A great game that concludes one of my favorite series. While I understand why people dislike it, I adored it from start to finish. It's all about Sam in the end, and the gameplay change definitely fits it in that regard. The man has had enough and is at his peak physically and mentally. He simply doesn't care anymore and wants it all behind him. Micheal Ironside gives his best performance yet, and with some really great level and sound design (Amon Tobin never ceases to amaze), it's quite memorable in parts. The coop is also brilliant and incredibly fun with a friend.

It isn't nearly as stealthy as its predecessors, but that doesn't mean there isn't any stealth, and it's by far a 'very bad Splinter Cell game'. Playing Chaos Theory, Double Agent and Conviction back to back is an absolutely solid video game experience. Don't miss it.
  22. Feb 4, 2014
    Its a good gamefffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
  23. Apr 25, 2012

1. Conviction appeals to a whole new crowd that grew up on creating distractions, using every single gadget in their inventory and dragging bodies into shadows. If Conviction is evidence of where Ubisoft is taking the series, they are about to win over a lot of new fans and potentially upset a portion of those already loyal.
  2. The single-player story is short, but it's filled with a lot of great moments. The co-op multiplayer helps to give the package a lot more bite.
  3. I have no problem recommending Conviction to anyone who enjoys the Splinter Cell series or third person action/stealth games in general. I would have loved a much longer and more involved campaign, but the additional modes (including a separate co-op campaign) go a long way in making up for that.