Tomb Raider PC

8.5

1. Jan 29, 2014
    My first foray into the Tomb Raider franchise was enjoyable. Tomb Raider is a good game that you should definitely check out. It's a third person action-adventure with some basic platforming and puzzle solving.The story is average for the most part, but on the last 1-2 levels the story really picks up and i became much more interested in it. The graphics are above average and theMy first foray into the Tomb Raider franchise was enjoyable. Tomb Raider is a good game that you should definitely check out. It's a third person action-adventure with some basic platforming and puzzle solving.The story is average for the most part, but on the last 1-2 levels the story really picks up and i became much more interested in it. The graphics are above average and the animations are okay, except that there are numerous clipping issues on Lara's basic movements, which is unacceptable. The sounds, music, effects and everything like that are good. The combat is a pretty average, really nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done. The involvement with the environment, and the development of Lara throughout the game is masterfully done. Lara's image will change from a pristine looking young lady in the beginning of the game to a rugged, experienced explorer in the end. Though, Lara herself is also one of the biggest flaws in the game. She just isn't believable at all. This is the problem with strong female protagonists. Females just don't have the physical strength or athleticism to make the actions Lara does believable. I mean, especially for an archaeologist who clearly has never done strength training to be able to pull herself up constantly is just laughable. And the terrible tacked on MP modes. Seriously, not every game needs multiplayer and Tomb Raider is yet another example of a game that would have highly benefited from having no MP mode at all. But on to the biggest problem with the game: The quick time events. My God, they are everywhere. I died more times because i missed a quick time event than I did in all other parts of the game combined. It's pathetic. Why do developers think that quick time events are fun? At the end of the game, right before the credits, it says "We have made the best game we possibly can" If your best game is this riddled with quick time events then someone needs to be fired. Honestly, it's embarrassing. I know it seems like a I ranted about a lot for a score of 8/10. But despite all of these flaws, I really did enjoy Tomb Raider more than most games. Expand
  2. Mar 10, 2013
    This is a good game that is going to be overshadowed by a few other releases coming later this month. First, the good: Everything associated with this game is done well. From the gameplay to the story to the atmosphere, Crystal Dynamics has made a wonderful game that works very and, especially for a PC port, this game runs very smoothly and the flow it has makes it a great addition toThis is a good game that is going to be overshadowed by a few other releases coming later this month. First, the good: Everything associated with this game is done well. From the gameplay to the story to the atmosphere, Crystal Dynamics has made a wonderful game that works very and, especially for a PC port, this game runs very smoothly and the flow it has makes it a great addition to anyone's collection. The small things are what gets in its way. For a game called 'Tomb Raider', there's very little tombs to raid and, the ones that are in there, feel half assed and added at the very last second. With no other reason to do them beyond getting the achievement, there's really no incentive to doing them. I was hoping there would be some big item to get at the end of the tomb thing but there was not. But this is a little thing that doesn't affect the outcome of the game and that outcome is a very good one. The biggest issue this game will face is from the competition it faces this month. Between GoW: Ascension and Bioshock Infinite and others, this game will get left in the dust by other games that will probably just be more memorable than this one. It's kinda sad that a game with some great potential is going to be forgotten here in less than a month. Any sequels to this are now and forever on my radar. Give this game a chance and you won't be disappointed. Expand
  3. May 3, 2013
    I had my fears they would f*** it up but it turned out far better than expected. The story is excellent, characters, upgrade system is good. I liked the collectibles a lot since they let me to learn more of the characters and game world. I just wish they put some real puzzles in the game.
  4. Jul 12, 2017
    Tomb Raider reveals the most vulnerable and compelling Lara Croft to date, giving the female protagonist an exceptional reboot that is worth discovering.
  5. Jul 31, 2014
    After the excellent 1st and 2nd TR in the late 90's I'm coming back to Tomb Raider series after 15 long years and I'm happy to announce that this reboot is very well done in almost every way. Yes, there are some minor annoyances typical for modern games, like QTE, but it's not as bad to be able to destroy your experience here. Other than that I was happy with most things presented in thisAfter the excellent 1st and 2nd TR in the late 90's I'm coming back to Tomb Raider series after 15 long years and I'm happy to announce that this reboot is very well done in almost every way. Yes, there are some minor annoyances typical for modern games, like QTE, but it's not as bad to be able to destroy your experience here. Other than that I was happy with most things presented in this title, visuals, locations, weapons, gameplay, story. If all reboots were of this quality, this world would be a better place. 8/10 Expand
  6. Jan 14, 2016
    Keep in mind, as of this review I have not yet played other Tomb Raider games. With that said, I felt that this is one of the best, if not the best modern action/adventure game I have ever played. The story, dialogue, action sequences, combat and environments are all superb and I will probably get a lot of hate for this but... this easily beats Uncharted 1, 2 and 3.... We'll have to waitKeep in mind, as of this review I have not yet played other Tomb Raider games. With that said, I felt that this is one of the best, if not the best modern action/adventure game I have ever played. The story, dialogue, action sequences, combat and environments are all superb and I will probably get a lot of hate for this but... this easily beats Uncharted 1, 2 and 3.... We'll have to wait and see about Uncharted 4. Expand
  7. Aug 30, 2014
    A great return to modern gaming for this beloved franchise. The game has great action and platforming however does become slight Quick Time and Cut scene heavy through out.
    Very similar of playing this to the Batman Arkham games.

However plenty of positive here and one of the better games of this year.
  8. Sep 20, 2014
    While I don't normally like reboots that involve the "dark and gritty" treatment I think in the case of Tomb Raider it works in its favour. The game still manages to capture the essence of the 1996 original while still being an origin story chronicling Lara Croft's traumatic journey as she survives on a dangerous island. The plot is good, the gameplay is good, the graphics are good, theWhile I don't normally like reboots that involve the "dark and gritty" treatment I think in the case of Tomb Raider it works in its favour. The game still manages to capture the essence of the 1996 original while still being an origin story chronicling Lara Croft's traumatic journey as she survives on a dangerous island. The plot is good, the gameplay is good, the graphics are good, the voice acting is good, the music is good; there's not really much to fault with this game. And just when I was starting to lose my faith in AAA titles... Expand
  9. Sep 10, 2015
    I’m truly blown away by how good this game actually is! Astonishing visuals, smooth movement, no bugs, great combat and great realism! Many seem to have given up on the Tomb Raider franchise, but for me this has been my best gaming experience in quite some time! Personally, I've always loved Tomb Raider games (and always will) but this was such a fresh experience I couldn't comprehendI’m truly blown away by how good this game actually is! Astonishing visuals, smooth movement, no bugs, great combat and great realism! Many seem to have given up on the Tomb Raider franchise, but for me this has been my best gaming experience in quite some time! Personally, I've always loved Tomb Raider games (and always will) but this was such a fresh experience I couldn't comprehend someone not enjoying this title; unless you whole heartedly dislike action adventure games! For fans of the original series (despite peoples pessimism) all of what you loved from prior games is back and no this is not an “Uncharted” rip-off it’s Tomb Raider doing what Tomb Raider has always done; just in a fresh new way! Expand
  10. Jun 20, 2013
    This game was great in every aspect i played all the previous tomb raider but i didn't have this much fun ever the story the gameplay the graphics every thing is great in this game i also love the new lara croft she is sexy and i loved here accent i highly recommend this game and i wouldn't be surprised if it got the game of the year award and last thing to say in the credits they sayThis game was great in every aspect i played all the previous tomb raider but i didn't have this much fun ever the story the gameplay the graphics every thing is great in this game i also love the new lara croft she is sexy and i loved here accent i highly recommend this game and i wouldn't be surprised if it got the game of the year award and last thing to say in the credits they say "thank you for playing Tomb Raider" and i wanna say thank you for making this awesome game" Expand
  11. Jan 23, 2015
    This game is stunningly outstanding if you like shooting people down and exploring areas.

PROS
    -Outstanding graphics
    -Amazing Story
    -Fun combat/controls

CONS
    -Boring chunks of the game
  12. ERB
    Jan 21, 2014
    You guys should play this game.Tomb Raider is an absolute fun game.Tomb Raider is an open world game.In this game you can hunt for food and kill some bandits in the island.Tomb Raider is a beautiful game with It's realistic graphics and beautiful world.You must buy this game.You will really love this game.I bet you will have a lot of fun with this game.
  13. Jun 28, 2015
    I just recently got that game in its "game of the year" edition - and i cannot say that i am disappointed.

It looks amazing .. not just for the time it was released, but even in 2015 it still looks amazing. It runs great with tons of detail - and the revision of the concept kind of works for the franchise. It does come at a price though. - Not only once but several times i feel more

It does come at a price though. - Not only once but several times i feel more like watching a movie than playing a game. Lara moves on rails and the only effect my controls have are slightly adjusting the camera. (and that is not even the QTE events)
    Regarding the QTE events, especially combat ... i know that combat "looks" much more cinematic when it is done "on rails" via QTE. ... But lets be clear ... it "is" less intense than Tomb Raider 1 auto-aiming-running-in-circles-combat. And that one wasn t too complex either.. t just looked simpler.

I do love that many of the climbing and jumping elements are not as rediculous anymore as in previous games of Lara Croft. It is not realistic of course - but feels much more action and stealth oriented than "perfect-timing-jump-sequence" focused.

All in all it felt quite similar to games like Far Cry ... with rather painfully small and tunnel like levels (compared to the far cry series) - but then it does not claim to be open world, so that is ok.

UI and controls are well done and do not feel like some shoddy console to PC port. Keyboard and mouse controls work very well and are precise.

All in all, the game is well worth the money - it is tons of fun and even great to just watch someone else to play. As in almost every game ... the AI ... while not being as dumb as lets say .. a MMO game ... it still is stupid enough to just suicide run into the players line of fire.

In terms of difficulty levels ... to be frank... i d love to have much harder combat (classic combat) but no QTE. In my opinion - QTE is a waste of time to gain a good cinematic - and thats it. Too bad the difficulty setting cannot reflect that. If i wanted to play on hard mode, i d get my wish for harder combat - but also stricter QTE.

Still a 9/10 easily
  14. Dec 12, 2015
    Gameplay : 9
    Graphics : 10
    Story : 8
    Sound : 10
    Overall : 9
  15. Apr 25, 2013
    Pros: 1) Combat animation & style. 2) Great graphics on PC 3) Really good stealth! 4) Story is satisfying, could have been better! 5) Interesting puzzles!
    Cons: 1) Storytelling is not great!
    Conclusion: Contender for Game Of The Year!
  16. May 24, 2013
    Amazing game! Epic story, good graphics, perfect cinematics.... The only problem is the game is too short, but i belive they start right the new lara croft.
  17. Apr 16, 2014
    I played the original TR back on the PS1 and have touched a couple of the other ones and was never really that sucked in. This one however is amazing. There is a mix of stealth, gun play, puzzles and story that kept me entertained the whole time. Such a huge improvement that I can't wait for a sequel now.
  18. May 5, 2013
    This game is one of the most fun games i have bought this year. Its on my GOTY list with Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space 3 (Yes DS3, deal with it.) I never like Tomb Raider, but this reboot got it down just right. Its a great new twist on the series and i want to see a sequel. The only problems this game has is the the quicktime events ruin your experience sometimes. Youll be watching aThis game is one of the most fun games i have bought this year. Its on my GOTY list with Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space 3 (Yes DS3, deal with it.) I never like Tomb Raider, but this reboot got it down just right. Its a great new twist on the series and i want to see a sequel. The only problems this game has is the the quicktime events ruin your experience sometimes. Youll be watching a cutscene only for a the game to throw a "hit the e key" at you and make you die. On top of that, you have little time to react and if you hit the wrong one you die. It sometimes becomes a game of simon says as you try to remember the pattern of whats coming up next because youll die every time. Other than that its great game. Expand
  19. Sep 9, 2016
    The best game of 2013. The prime example of how action adventure games should aspire to be in the modern age.

Great production values, great graphics, great sound, great voice acting. Tons of action, nice story, good cutscenes, seemless transition from cutscenes to gameplay and vice versa. The game engine is very optimized, obviously since it doesn't have Nvidia crippleworks(tm). The

The gameplay is satisfying and fun. The game is not very long, and you won't get bored until you finish it. You might make repeated walkthroughs. I did, and this is rare for me because i get bored easily, especially with story driven games, and i rarely play them again.

All in all, a very good game. I was bored to death with Tomb Raider games and stopped caring for them 15 years ago. But this reboot nailed it.

It is sickening that Bioshock Infinite got a 94 and this gem got a 86 on metacritic. Both have the same user score, it should tell you something.

Tomb Raider is GOTY 2013 and underrated on metacritic. If you don't own it yet, buy it.
  20. Mar 19, 2013
    Summary: a worth buy due to good combat/upgrade system which makes the control good for adventure combat.

First of all, I am new to this series. So, I will comment more on the game system and plot. Combat/upgrade system: This incorporate many elements from several famous games, like dodging system (Alan Wake), cover taking/stealth kill/instinct (Hitman Absolution), character skill

Combat/upgrade system: This incorporate many elements from several famous games, like dodging system (Alan Wake), cover taking/stealth kill/instinct (Hitman Absolution), character skill upgrade (many action games have this nowadays), resource/weapon part collection (Dead Space 3). Its implementation is so good that the combat can be carried out smoothly with the help of above elements. Lara also interacts with the environment flawlessly, she knows to take cover when needed to, and crouch for stealth encounter when needed to. Very smart indeed. The character skill upgrade are generally helpful as well, but balancing. The use of visual icons to prompt for QTE is generally user friendly to players as well. Excellent.

Plot/Adventure: As a reboot from series, Lara starts as a newbie, and she gets more skill/tactics as she advances through the story, which also allows some back-tracking to previous places for treasure hunting. A good setting! And the developers have guts as well, if it needs to have gore and violence in order to present the cult atmosphere, so it will be. Good try.

Optional quests Action: The game also does not deviate from its main purpose. Yes, tomb raider! So, visiting optional tomb, finding treasures via solving puzzles or climbing jumping, with some cool and exciting jump drop in between. By doing so, players can have some understanding about items, and gain more XP for skill upgrade, a good incentive and fun way to enhance the game play, rather than simply killing enemies.

Overall, a good combat and adventure system and character development throughout the game, with the nice elements implemented, it is really fun to explore the island and complete the side quests.
  21. Nov 8, 2014
    I ended up liking this game more than I thought I would. Lara Croft proves herself to be totally awesome in this game- her attitude grows from scared and sheltered to a much more confident self, eventually becoming the woman that we all know her to be. This journey is fantastic because it's gradual, and the player doesn't really even realize the shift until near the end, when Lara startsI ended up liking this game more than I thought I would. Lara Croft proves herself to be totally awesome in this game- her attitude grows from scared and sheltered to a much more confident self, eventually becoming the woman that we all know her to be. This journey is fantastic because it's gradual, and the player doesn't really even realize the shift until near the end, when Lara starts verbally taunting enemies and is fully confident in her abilities. Unfortunately, she's the only real character in this game- the rest are cookie-cutter stereotypes pulled from any other genre. Is this game just a ripoff of Uncharted? Maybe- the only thing that sets it apart is the upgrading system of weapons, where your weapons can pick up new and interesting powers along the course of the game. You can level up lara herself, but this is much less interesting- you end up getting lots of powers you could care less about and don't really use that often. Luckily, the gun upgrades are a bit more meaningful. I found the gunplay in this game to be highly satisfying, if only because I enjoyed challenging myself by using the bow much more than I used any other weapon. Finally, the ending to this game is honestly the greatest moment in gaming I've experienced this year. It was worth all the hours I put into beating the single player (only 11 hours) in order to reach the one climactic moment. I recommend this game to just about anyone interested in a mature journey (last note: there were quite a few F-bombs in this game, so be aware if you're sensitive to things like that). Expand
  22. Jun 6, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a neatly packaged game. The visuals are great and the animations are nice and fluid. The environments are nicely designed and quite varied. The game also sounds great with enjoyable voice acting and the production values of the game is overall quite nice.

I personally really enjoyed the setting of the game and i liked the way the handled the story and character interactions. The shooting and jumping in the game is quite satisfying and i thought that it was varied enough for its appeal to last throughout the game. There are some annoying quicktime events here and there and the game is from time to time very much scripted and linear. But they do pull this off reasonably well and i found myself not hating the scripted nature of some of its gameplay.

But the game do also have some areas with more freedom which is a nice change of pace. The jumping puzzles in the game have taken a back seat for the shooting stuff and stylished jumping sequences. Personally i didnt mind since i am not a big fan of jumping puzzles but i do believe its worth mentioning. There is also a whole less tomb raiding than you would expect from a Tomb raider game. The tombs in the game are however quite enjoyable even though the puzzles aren't all that challenging.

The action in the game is quite enjoyable and i enjoyed that you could tackle different situations in a number of ways. The upgrade system is also a nice touch with unluckable silencers and stuff like that. The bow is also a fun weapon to use and it very much fits the setting of the game. One complaint i do have on the combat is the enemy variety. The humanoid enemies are varied enough but i believe that the game really would benefit from having more animal-based enemies. It would also really fit the setting to have stuff like big bears or some water based enemy in the game.

And while we are on the topic of the wild life. I do think that it is sad that the developers didn't expand on the hunting and gathering options in the game. That would have been a ton of fun and fitted the games setting. I did however enjoy the different collectibles a great deal.

Tomb Raider is to sum it up a pretty good game. It hardly reinvents the wheel and the scripted nature of the game and the way its quite action oriented may piss some people of. The game do however contain a quite good and meaty campaign and its definitely worth picking up if you are looking for a fun around 10 hour long campaign.
  23. Jan 5, 2014
    The technically far superior version of the game (till the Definitive edition arrives) is every bit as good as its other versions. This is one suberb game, one of the finest of 2013 and of its generation. The PC version really looks the part and is till now of the best-looking games on all platforms.
  24. May 28, 2013
    I like the previous Tomb Raider games also, but this one... this one tops them all. Before, the foundation of Tomb Raider was it's game-play, caring much less about story, characters or even graphics. However, this one has them all. The story is well written and though out, the characters are interesting, the game-play is much more complex and witty, and the graphics are beautiful. AmazingI like the previous Tomb Raider games also, but this one... this one tops them all. Before, the foundation of Tomb Raider was it's game-play, caring much less about story, characters or even graphics. However, this one has them all. The story is well written and though out, the characters are interesting, the game-play is much more complex and witty, and the graphics are beautiful. Amazing game. By far 10/10. Expand
  25. Jan 1, 2014
    Excellent game. I didn't find the characters and story as intriguing as other players did, but it still holds up very well. It follows a different formula than the old school Tomb Raider games, and in a good way. The controls are excellent and you'll never run out of action.

The only negative thing I have to say about the game is the quicktime events. Some of them are done well, but a lot of them are very rushed and you may find yourself dying over and over until you get them right.
  26. Mar 20, 2013
    A successful reboot of a long-going series, the new Tomb Raider is pretty much summing up most of the recent gaming trends in one. The plot reminds of Far Cry 3 (I am aware that they were developed simultaneously) a story of setting the character, "a survivor is born", and of Uncharted (yeah, one can't avoid comparing TR to this action-adventure golden standard) adventuring in mythic landsA successful reboot of a long-going series, the new Tomb Raider is pretty much summing up most of the recent gaming trends in one. The plot reminds of Far Cry 3 (I am aware that they were developed simultaneously) a story of setting the character, "a survivor is born", and of Uncharted (yeah, one can't avoid comparing TR to this action-adventure golden standard) adventuring in mythic lands with supernatural stuff closer to the end. A point where Tomb Raider loses to the mentioned Uncharted series are the secondary characters they aren't near as likeable as in the latter, and mostly worse written the only character you actually get to like is the one that's given sufficient screen time Conrad Roth. I actually felt sorry for the old warrior. The game's overall tone is gritty and dark, and that's what makes the plot quite inconsistent with the gameplay Lara whines and moans a lot (damn frequently the game actually sounds like a porno), cries over her dead comrades and after making her first kill in the cutscenes, but then the gameplay leads you to brutally murder dozens of random people. The gameplay itself is fun, killing (especially with the bow) feel satisfying, puzzles are short but well-made and actually require you to think and action setpieces are gripping. The campaign is structured as Batman: Arkham Asylum, so it isn't exactly open-world, but you may revisit the deserted locations to finish collecting stuff only you won't really want to do it after the main storyline. As for multiplayer, it's quite bland, a poor version of Uncharted's. To sum up, Tomb Raider is not exactly a gem, it doesn't bring anything new to the genre, but nevertheless it's a potent game and a great set-up for the future games (And boy, will there be sequels) Expand
  27. Nov 20, 2013
  28. Apr 22, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoyable romp, with some jaw-dropping settings, atmosphere and perilous Croft-action. Lacks some of the puzzles and and feeling of totally getting lost that used to be part of the staple for the original three games, so there's a distinct lack of a mechanical challenge for the player. The story is also rather standard fare, and that's why I'm giving this reboot an 8 out of 10.Thoroughly enjoyable romp, with some jaw-dropping settings, atmosphere and perilous Croft-action. Lacks some of the puzzles and and feeling of totally getting lost that used to be part of the staple for the original three games, so there's a distinct lack of a mechanical challenge for the player. The story is also rather standard fare, and that's why I'm giving this reboot an 8 out of 10. I cannot fault the game, however for its ambition and detail with the level-design. Combat was solid enough and upgrades to Lara's weapons and tools were a cool feature. Let's have a bigger and badder sequel soon please! Expand
  29. May 8, 2013
    A lot of people are calling this a "linear, scripted, on-rails game". This is far from the truth, Tomb Raider is a great action game, and yes it does have it's linear moments, with QTE's every once in a while, BUT as an ADVENTURE game Tomb Raider gets it juuust right, yes, it's not completely open-world, however the locations in this game are quite large for a third-personA lot of people are calling this a "linear, scripted, on-rails game". This is far from the truth, Tomb Raider is a great action game, and yes it does have it's linear moments, with QTE's every once in a while, BUT as an ADVENTURE game Tomb Raider gets it juuust right, yes, it's not completely open-world, however the locations in this game are quite large for a third-person action/adventure, and they encourage exploration, for example: The extensively large map is divided into different locations and at one point in the game (I'm about 1/3 of the way through the game at the moment) a certain event occurs where pretty much half of a particular area opens up for you to explore places that weren't available previously, so you can choose to carry on with the adventure OR choose to explore a bit more and find interesting stuff like ancient journals or upgrades for your weapons. Then there's the length of the game, my oh my was I surprised when I was about 10 hours into it and I realized I was just barely getting towards the half-way point of the map. This game is worth every penny, whether you want an extensive action/adventure experience, or you just want something to keep you busy for about 10-12 hours, it's all about choice Expand
  30. Dec 4, 2015
    Lara is back! good history, its feels like a movie,the tombs are great and well designed also it has amazing graphics and superb artwork i think its one of the best 3rd person shooters of the past generation.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    The new incarnation of the iconic Lara Craft might very well be one of the best games out there right now. [April 2013]
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Mar 30, 2013
    Everything you could want from an archeological adventure, except having to press six keys to mantle. [Apr 2013, p.80]
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    While not every promising idea Tomb Raider has is pulled off successfully, it nevertheless turns in a tense and memorable ride that combines modern game design with its forebears’ adventurous spirit in some exciting ways. Some of its missteps may well come at the cost of your enjoyment, but most can’t hope to hurt the adventure in the long run. Although it never fully finds its identity, this is a game and a story worth seeing through.